Genomes and Genes
Summary: A family of diphenylenemethane derivatives.
- Cohen J, Yavuz E, Morris A, Arkedis J, Sabot O. Do patients adhere to over-the-counter artemisinin combination therapy for malaria? evidence from an intervention study in Uganda. Malar J. 2012;11:83 pubmed publisher..Strategies to increase adherence in the retail sector are needed in the context of increasing availability and affordability of ACT in this sector. ..
- Kersten R, Lane A, Nett M, Richter T, Duggan B, Dorrestein P, et al. Bioactivity-guided genome mining reveals the lomaiviticin biosynthetic gene cluster in Salinispora tropica. Chembiochem. 2013;14:955-62 pubmed publisher..This study marks the first report of the 59 open reading frame lomaiviticin gene cluster (lom) and supports the biochemical logic of their dimeric construction through a pathway related to the kinamycin monomer. ..
- Huang L, Parikh S, Rosenthal P, Lizak P, Marzan F, Dorsey G, et al. Concomitant efavirenz reduces pharmacokinetic exposure to the antimalarial drug artemether-lumefantrine in healthy volunteers. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012;61:310-6 pubmed publisher..A study in healthy volunteers was completed to address the concern that EFV impacts AL pharmacokinetics (PKs)...
- Góngora Benítez M, Mendive Tapia L, Ramos Tomillero I, Breman A, Tulla Puche J, Albericio F. Acid-labile Cys-protecting groups for the Fmoc/tBu strategy: filling the gap. Org Lett. 2012;14:5472-5 pubmed publisher..S-Dpm proved to be compatible with the commonly used S-Trt group and was applied for the regioselecive construction of disulfide bonds. ..
- Eziefula A, Bousema T, Yeung S, Kamya M, Owaraganise A, Gabagaya G, et al. Single dose primaquine for clearance of Plasmodium falciparum gametocytes in children with uncomplicated malaria in Uganda: a randomised, controlled, double-blind, dose-ranging trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:130-9 pubmed publisher..1 mg/kg and 0.4 mg/kg (including the dose of 0.25 mg/kg recently recommended by WHO), in view of the potential for widespread use of the drug to block malaria transmission. Wellcome Trust and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. ..
- Malmberg M, Ferreira P, Tarning J, Ursing J, Ngasala B, BjÃ¶rkman A, et al. Plasmodium falciparum drug resistance phenotype as assessed by patient antimalarial drug levels and its association with pfmdr1 polymorphisms. J Infect Dis. 2013;207:842-7 pubmed publisher..falciparum with reduced drug susceptibility in vivo, and represents a novel way for unveiling molecular markers of antimalarial drug resistance. ..
- Staehli Hodel E, Csajka C, Ariey F, Guidi M, Kabanywanyi A, Duong S, et al. Effect of single nucleotide polymorphisms in cytochrome P450 isoenzyme and N-acetyltransferase 2 genes on the metabolism of artemisinin-based combination therapies in malaria patients from Cambodia and Tanzania. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013;57:950-8 pubmed publisher
- Beshir K, Sutherland C, Sawa P, Drakeley C, Okell L, Mweresa C, et al. Residual Plasmodium falciparum parasitemia in Kenyan children after artemisinin-combination therapy is associated with increased transmission to mosquitoes and parasite recurrence. J Infect Dis. 2013;208:2017-24 pubmed publisher..Parasite clearance time after artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) may be increasing in Asian and African settings. The association between parasite clearance following ACT and transmissibility is currently unknown...
- Jain V, Hilton B, Lin B, Patnaik S, Liang F, Darian E, et al. Unusual sequence effects on nucleotide excision repair of arylamine lesions: DNA bending/distortion as a primary recognition factor. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:869-80 pubmed publisher..This work represents a novel 3'-next flanking sequence effect as a unique NER factor for bulky arylamine lesions in E. coli. ..
- Tarning J, Kloprogge F, Piola P, Dhorda M, Muwanga S, Turyakira E, et al. Population pharmacokinetics of Artemether and dihydroartemisinin in pregnant women with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Uganda. Malar J. 2012;11:293 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to evaluate the population pharmacokinetic properties of artemether and its active metabolite dihydroartemisinin in pregnant women with uncomplicated P. falciparum malaria in Uganda...
- Sawa P, Shekalaghe S, Drakeley C, Sutherland C, Mweresa C, Baidjoe A, et al. Malaria transmission after artemether-lumefantrine and dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine: a randomized trial. J Infect Dis. 2013;207:1637-45 pubmed publisher..Artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) reduces the potential for malaria transmission, compared with non-ACTs. It is unclear whether this effect differs between ACTs...
- Farnert A, Ursing J, Tolfvenstam T, Rono J, Karlsson L, Sparrelid E, et al. Artemether-lumefantrine treatment failure despite adequate lumefantrine day 7 concentration in a traveller with Plasmodium falciparum malaria after returning from Tanzania. Malar J. 2012;11:176 pubmed publisher..Genotyping confirmed recrudescence and suggested reduced sensitivity. Potential sub-optimal effect of artemether-lumefantrine highlights the need to follow non-immune individuals the weeks after treatment. ..
- Thomsen T, Madsen L, Hansson H, Tomás E, Charlwood D, Bygbjerg I, et al. Rapid selection of Plasmodium falciparum chloroquine resistance transporter gene and multidrug resistance gene-1 haplotypes associated with past chloroquine and present artemether-lumefantrine use in Inhambane District, southern Mozambique. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013;88:536-41 pubmed publisher..In the absence of a clear AL-resistance marker and the (almost) continent-wide use of AL in sub-Saharan Africa, and when considering CQ reintroduction, continued monitoring of these markers is needed...
- Lamorde M, Byakika Kibwika P, Mayito J, Nabukeera L, Ryan M, Hanpithakpong W, et al. Lower artemether, dihydroartemisinin and lumefantrine concentrations during rifampicin-based tuberculosis treatment. AIDS. 2013;27:961-5 pubmed publisher..To investigate the pharmacokinetics of artemether, dihydroartemisinin and lumefantrine during rifampicin intake and after stopping rifampicin...
- Ndiaye J, Faye B, Gueye A, Tine R, Ndiaye D, Tchania C, et al. Repeated treatment of recurrent uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Senegal with fixed-dose artesunate plus amodiaquine versus fixed-dose artemether plus lumefantrine: a randomized, open-label trial. Malar J. 2011;10:237 pubmed publisher..Moreover, in patients who were treated at least twice, repeated administration of ASAQ or AL did not identify any major safety issues. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00540410. ..
- Hamer D, Ndhlovu M, Zurovac D, Fox M, Yeboah Antwi K, Chanda P, et al. Improved diagnostic testing and malaria treatment practices in Zambia. JAMA. 2007;297:2227-31 pubmed..Provision of new tools to reduce inappropriate use of new expensive antimalarial treatments must be accompanied by a major change in clinical treatment of patients presenting with fever but lacking evidence of malaria infection. ..
- Jansen F, Lesaffre E, Penali L, Zattera M, Die Kakou H, Bissagnene E. Assessment of the relative advantage of various artesunate-based combination therapies by a multi-treatment Bayesian random-effects meta-analysis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;77:1005-9 pubmed..Annual follow-up on the data published is intended to reveal the changes in the relative drug efficacy values of ACTs. ..
- Wahajuddin -, Singh S, Jain G. Determination of lumefantrine in rat plasma by liquid-liquid extraction using LC-MS/MS with electrospray ionization: assay development, validation and application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2009;877:1133-9 pubmed publisher..5 to 7.5% and 5.5 to 7.7%, respectively, and intra- and inter-day assay accuracy was between 91.3-109.7% and 97.0-104.7%, respectively. The method was successfully applied for the pharmacokinetic study in rats. ..
- Houze S, Boly M, Le Bras J, Deloron P, Faucher J. PfHRP2 and PfLDH antigen detection for monitoring the efficacy of artemisinin-based combination therapy (ACT) in the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria. Malar J. 2009;8:211 pubmed publisher..On the other hand, the PfLDH test could be used to detect failures and, therefore, to assess anti-malarial efficacy. ..
- Faye B, Offianan A, Ndiaye J, Tine R, Touré W, Djoman K, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of artesunate-amodiaquine (Camoquin plus) versus artemether-lumefantrine (Coartem) against uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: multisite trial in Senegal and Ivory Coast. Trop Med Int Health. 2010;15:608-13 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates the efficacy and tolerability of AS + AQ for uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria treatment in African patients over the age of 7 years. ..
- Dorsey G, Staedke S, Clark T, Njama Meya D, Nzarubara B, Maiteki Sebuguzi C, et al. Combination therapy for uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Ugandan children: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2007;297:2210-9 pubmed..With all study regimens, the provision of prompt and reasonably effective facility-based treatment was associated with good outcomes in long-term health measures. isrctn.org Identifier: ISRCTN37517549. ..
- Jain V, Hilton B, Patnaik S, Zou Y, Chiarelli M, Cho B. Conformational and thermodynamic properties modulate the nucleotide excision repair of 2-aminofluorene and 2-acetylaminofluorene dG adducts in the NarI sequence. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:3939-51 pubmed publisher..The present results provide valuable conformational insight into the sequence-dependent UvrABC incisions of the bulky aminofluorene DNA adducts. ..
- Somé A, Sere Y, Dokomajilar C, Zongo I, Rouamba N, Greenhouse B, et al. Selection of known Plasmodium falciparum resistance-mediating polymorphisms by artemether-lumefantrine and amodiaquine-sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine but not dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine in Burkina Faso. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:1949-54 pubmed publisher..6% versus 73.0%; P = 0.54), or D1246Y (3.6% versus 8.1%; P = 0.50) in pfmdr1. Despite its chemical similarity, piperaquine did not select for the same polymorphisms as chloroquine or AQ, suggesting different mechanisms of resistance. ..
- Piola P, Nabasumba C, Turyakira E, Dhorda M, Lindegardh N, Nyehangane D, et al. Efficacy and safety of artemether-lumefantrine compared with quinine in pregnant women with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: an open-label, randomised, non-inferiority trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010;10:762-9 pubmed publisher..We aimed to assess whether artemether-lumefantrine was at least as efficacious as oral quinine for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy in Mbarara, Uganda...
- Djadou K, Agbodjan Djossou A, Azoumah K, Djadou D, Lawson Evi K, Balaka B, et al. [Artemether-lumefantrine, treatment of child more than 5 years old uncomplicated malaria in Tsevie's hospital (Togo)]. Arch Pediatr. 2007;14:1463-4 pubmed
- Skarbinski J, Ouma P, Causer L, Kariuki S, Barnwell J, Alaii J, et al. Effect of malaria rapid diagnostic tests on the management of uncomplicated malaria with artemether-lumefantrine in Kenya: a cluster randomized trial. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2009;80:919-26 pubmed..30). RDTs could potentially improve malaria case management, but we urgently need to develop more effective strategies for implementing guidelines before large scale implementation. ..
- Kangwana B, Kedenge S, Noor A, Alegana V, Nyandigisi A, Pandit J, et al. The impact of retail-sector delivery of artemether-lumefantrine on malaria treatment of children under five in Kenya: a cluster randomized controlled trial. PLoS Med. 2011;8:e1000437 pubmed publisher..Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN59275137 and Kenya Pharmacy and Poisons Board Ethical Committee for Clinical Trials PPB/ECCT/08/07. ..
- Rowe A, de León G, Mihigo J, Santelli A, Miller N, Van Dúnem P. Quality of malaria case management at outpatient health facilities in Angola. Malar J. 2009;8:275 pubmed publisher..In 2009, Angola published a policy that clarified many issues. As problems identified in this survey are not unique to Angola, better strategies for improving HW performance are urgently needed. ..
- Staedke S, Mwebaza N, Kamya M, Clark T, Dorsey G, Rosenthal P, et al. Home management of malaria with artemether-lumefantrine compared with standard care in urban Ugandan children: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2009;373:1623-31 pubmed publisher..The substantial over-treatment suggests that artemether-lumefantrine provided in the home might not be appropriate for large urban areas or settings with fairly low malaria transmission. Gates Malaria Partnership. ..
- Djimde A, Tekete M, Abdulla S, Lyimo J, Bassat Q, Mandomando I, et al. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic characteristics of a new pediatric formulation of artemether-lumefantrine in African children with uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:3994-9 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that the dispersible tablet provides adequate systemic exposure to artemether, DHA, and lumefantrine in African children with uncomplicated P. falciparum malaria. ..
- Jain N, Li Y, Zhang L, Meneni S, Cho B. Probing the sequence effects on NarI-induced -2 frameshift mutagenesis by dynamic 19F NMR, UV, and CD spectroscopy. Biochemistry. 2007;46:13310-21 pubmed..We also provide evidence for AF/FAF conformational compatibility in the NarI sequences. ..
- Rasheed A, Khan S, Awan M, Khurshid U, Ahmad K. Efficacy and safety of artemehter-lumefantrine in uncomplicated falciparum malaria in Liberia. J Pak Med Assoc. 2011;61:131-4 pubmed..There was no mortality during the study. Artemether Lumefantrine combination therapy may be used safely and effectively in the management of acute uncomplicated falciparum malaria. ..
- Minzi O, Haule A. Poor knowledge on new malaria treatment guidelines among drug dispensers in private pharmacies in Tanzania: the need for involving the private sector in policy preparations and implementation. East Afr J Public Health. 2008;5:117-21 pubmed
- Kefyalew T, Animut A, Tamene T, Jima D, Hailemariam A, Legesse M. Efficacy of six-dose regimen of artemether-lumefantrine for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria, three years after its introduction into Ethiopia. Parasite. 2009;16:129-34 pubmed..Thus, artemisinin-based combination therapies (ACTs) seem to mitigate not only the problem of drug resistance malaria but also the transmission of the disease. Nevertheless, monitoring ACT therapeutic efficacy is crucial in Ethiopia. ..
- Bassat Q, Gonzalez R, Machevo S, Nahum A, Lyimo J, Maiga H, et al. Similar efficacy and safety of artemether-lumefantrine (Coartem®) in African infants and children with uncomplicated falciparum malaria across different body weight ranges. Malar J. 2011;10:369 pubmed publisher..The objectives of the current analysis were to compare the efficacy and safety of AL across different body weight ranges in African children, and to examine the age and body weight relationship in this population...
- Stresman G, Kamanga A, Moono P, Hamapumbu H, Mharakurwa S, Kobayashi T, et al. A method of active case detection to target reservoirs of asymptomatic malaria and gametocyte carriers in a rural area in Southern Province, Zambia. Malar J. 2010;9:265 pubmed publisher..Therefore, an active case detection system that facilitates detection of asymptomatic parasitaemia and gametocyte carriers was developed and tested in the Macha region in southern Zambia...
- Premji Z, Abdulla S, Ogutu B, Ndong A, Falade C, Sagara I, et al. The content of African diets is adequate to achieve optimal efficacy with fixed-dose artemether-lumefantrine: a review of the evidence. Malar J. 2008;7:244 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, it appears that only a very small amount of dietary fat is necessary to ensure optimal efficacy with AL and that the fat content of standard meals or breast milk in sub-Saharan Africa is adequate. ..
- Makanga M, Bassat Q, Falade C, Premji Z, Krudsood S, Hunt P, et al. Efficacy and safety of artemether-lumefantrine in the treatment of acute, uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria: a pooled analysis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2011;85:793-804 pubmed publisher..falciparum malaria. Artemether-lumefantrine showed high cure rates and rapid resolution of parasitemia, fever, and gametocytemia in adults and children, and showed an excellent safety and tolerability profile. ..
- Seboxa T, Mao P, Pinchouk N, Anbessie J, Alemu H, Diro E. Artemether-Lumefantrin (Coartem) and artesunate with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine therapeutic efficacy in the treatment of uncomplicated malaria at Gilgel Gibe II (GGII) South-Western Ethiopia. Ethiop Med J. 2010;48:285-91 pubmed..9% at day 0 and had decreased to 7.5% by day 14 in both groups. Coartem and artesunate with SP are highly efficacious in the treatment of uncomplicated malaria in the GGII hydroelectric dam area. ..
- Ajayi I, Falade C, Olley B, Yusuf B, Gbotosho S, Iyiola T, et al. A qualitative study of the feasibility and community perception on the effectiveness of artemether-lumefantrine use in the context of home management of malaria in south-west Nigeria. BMC Health Serv Res. 2008;8:119 pubmed publisher..Community members perceived AL to be effective thus fostering acceptability. The negative attitudes of the health workers and issue of incentives to CMDs need to be addressed for successful scaling-up of ACT use at community level. ..
- Mwai L, Kiara S, Abdirahman A, Pole L, Rippert A, Diriye A, et al. In vitro activities of piperaquine, lumefantrine, and dihydroartemisinin in Kenyan Plasmodium falciparum isolates and polymorphisms in pfcrt and pfmdr1. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:5069-73 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the use of LM-artemether is likely to lead to the selection of more CQ-susceptible parasites...
- Knight S, Anyachebelu E, Geddes R, Maharaj R. Impact of delayed introduction of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine and arthemeter-lumefantrine on malaria epidemiology in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Trop Med Int Health. 2009;14:1086-92 pubmed publisher..The establishment of sentinel sites for monitoring drug failure and the prompt adoption of guidelines based on World Health Organization standards in drug resistance should improve malaria control. ..
- Sisowath C, Petersen I, Veiga M, Martensson A, Premji Z, Bjorkman A, et al. In vivo selection of Plasmodium falciparum parasites carrying the chloroquine-susceptible pfcrt K76 allele after treatment with artemether-lumefantrine in Africa. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:750-7 pubmed publisher..falciparum susceptibility to lumefantrine in vivo and in vitro, and they highlight the benefit of using AL in areas affected by chloroquine-resistant P. falciparum malaria. ..
- Yeka A, Dorsey G, Kamya M, Talisuna A, Lugemwa M, Rwakimari J, et al. Artemether-lumefantrine versus dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for treating uncomplicated malaria: a randomized trial to guide policy in Uganda. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2390 pubmed publisher..Dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine should be considered for a role in the antimalarial treatment policy of Uganda. Controlled-Trials.com ISRCTN75606663. ..
- Wong R, Salman S, Ilett K, Siba P, Mueller I, Davis T. Desbutyl-lumefantrine is a metabolite of lumefantrine with potent in vitro antimalarial activity that may influence artemether-lumefantrine treatment outcome. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:1194-8 pubmed publisher..These properties and the relationship between day 7 plasma concentrations and the ACPR suggest that it could be a useful alternative to lumefantrine as a part of artemisinin combination therapy...
- Michael O, Gbotosho G, Folarin O, Okuboyejo T, Sowunmi A, Oduola A, et al. Early variations in plasmodium falciparum dynamics in Nigerian children after treatment with two artemisinin-based combinations: implications on delayed parasite clearance. Malar J. 2010;9:335 pubmed publisher..The study protocol was designed to evaluate more closely the early effects and the standard measures of efficacies of these two regimens...