Genomes and Genes
Summary: A steroid hormone that regulates the processes of MOLTING or ecdysis in insects. Ecdysterone is the 20-hydroxylated ECDYSONE.
- Roy S, Hansen I, Raikhel A. Effect of insulin and 20-hydroxyecdysone in the fat body of the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:1317-26 pubmed..RNAi-mediated knockdown of the mosquito InR, Akt, and TOR inhibited insulin-induced Vg gene expression as well as S6 Kinase phosphorylation in in vitro fat body culture assays...
- Zhu J, Chen L, Raikhel A. Distinct roles of Broad isoforms in regulation of the 20-hydroxyecdysone effector gene, Vitellogenin, in the mosquito Aedes aegypti. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2007;267:97-105 pubmed..In particular, the isoform Z2 is required for 20E-mediated activation of Vg, while isoforms Z1 and Z4 serve as repressors to ensure appropriate termination of Vg expression. ..
- Duportets L, Maria A, Vitecek S, Gadenne C, Debernard S. Steroid hormone signaling is involved in the age-dependent behavioral response to sex pheromone in the adult male moth Agrotis ipsilon. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2013;186:58-66 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that 20E is involved in the expression of sexual behavior via the EcR/USP signaling pathway, probably acting on central pheromone processing in A. ipsilon...
- Toth N, Szabo A, Kacsala P, Héger J, Zádor E. 20-Hydroxyecdysone increases fiber size in a muscle-specific fashion in rat. Phytomedicine. 2008;15:691-8 pubmed publisher..According to our results 20E may provide an alternative for substitution of anabolic-androgenic steroids in therapeutic treatments against muscle atrophy. ..
- Dong D, Wang J, Zhao X. A eukaryotic initiation factor 5C is upregulated during metamorphosis in the cotton bollworm, Helicoverpa armigera. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:19 pubmed publisher..These results suggested that during metamorphosis of the cotton bollworm, Ha-eIF5C was upregulated by 20E through the EcR and USP transcription factors. ..
- Ruaud A, Lam G, Thummel C. The Drosophila nuclear receptors DHR3 and betaFTZ-F1 control overlapping developmental responses in late embryos. Development. 2010;137:123-31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies define the lethal phenotypes of DHR3 and betaFTZ-F1 mutants, and provide evidence for functional bifurcation in the 20E-responsive transcriptional cascade. ..
- Rewitz K, O Connor M, Gilbert L. Molecular evolution of the insect Halloween family of cytochrome P450s: phylogeny, gene organization and functional conservation. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:741-53 pubmed..The results suggest that duplications of ancestral P450 genes that acquired novel functions may have been an important mechanism for evolving the ecdysteroidogenic pathway. ..
- Beckstead R, Lam G, Thummel C. Specific transcriptional responses to juvenile hormone and ecdysone in Drosophila. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:570-8 pubmed..These studies demonstrate that larval organ culture can be used to identify Drosophila genes that are regulated by hormones other than 20E, and provide a basis for studying crosstalk between multiple hormone signaling pathways. ..
- Tonning A, Helms S, Schwarz H, Uv A, Moussian B. Hormonal regulation of mummy is needed for apical extracellular matrix formation and epithelial morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:331-41 pubmed
- Bourne P, Whiting P, Dhadialla T, Hormann R, Girault J, Harmatha J, et al. Ecdysteroid 7,9(11)-dien-6-ones as potential photoaffinity labels for ecdysteroid binding proteins. J Insect Sci. 2002;2:11 pubmed..Thus, ecdysteroid dienones show considerable potential as photoaffinity analogues for ecdysteroid binding proteins. ..
- Qu M, Yang Q. Physiological significance of alternatively spliced exon combinations of the single-copy gene class A chitin synthase in the insect Ostrinia furnacalis (Lepidoptera). Insect Mol Biol. 2012;21:395-404 pubmed publisher..Spliced exons 2a and 2b have also been observed in Bombyx mori; therefore, this work provides new insights into the regulation of insect chitin synthase, particularly in lepidopteran insects...
- Tan A, Palli S. Ecdysone [corrected] receptor isoforms play distinct roles in controlling molting and metamorphosis in the red flour beetle, Tribolium castaneum. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2008;291:42-9 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the EcR but not USP isoforms play distinct roles during the larval-pupal metamorphosis and EcRA plays a dominant role in transduction of ecdysteroid response in T. castaneum...
- Hu J, Zhao T, Chu W, Luo C, Tang W, Yi L, et al. Protective effects of 20-hydroxyecdysone on CoCl(2)-induced cell injury in PC12 cells. J Cell Biochem. 2010;111:1512-21 pubmed publisher..Based on our results, 20-Hydroxyecdysone may be a potential candidate for intervention in hypoxic-ischemic brain injuries such as stroke. ..
- Colombani J, Bianchini L, Layalle S, Pondeville E, Dauphin Villemant C, Antoniewski C, et al. Antagonistic actions of ecdysone and insulins determine final size in Drosophila. Science. 2005;310:667-70 pubmed..Hence, ecdysone counteracts the growth-promoting action of insulins, thus forming a humoral regulatory loop that determines organismal size. ..
- Gauhar Z, Sun L, Hua S, Mason C, Fuchs F, Li T, et al. Genomic mapping of binding regions for the Ecdysone receptor protein complex. Genome Res. 2009;19:1006-13 pubmed publisher..Initial mutational analysis of vrille in vivo reveals that it is required for metamorphosis. ..
- Neubueser D, Warren J, Gilbert L, Cohen S. molting defective is required for ecdysone biosynthesis. Dev Biol. 2005;280:362-72 pubmed..Here, we report identification of one such gene, which we call molting defective, on the basis of its lethal phenotype. molting defective encodes a nuclear zinc finger protein required for ecdysone biosynthesis. ..
- Siaussat D, Bozzolan F, Porcheron P, Debernard S. Identification of steroid hormone signaling pathway in insect cell differentiation. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2007;64:365-76 pubmed..Thanks to this functional approach, we have shown, for the first time, the participation of EcR, USP and HR3 in a 20E signaling pathway that directs morphological differentiation in insect cells by regulating beta tubulin expression. ..
- Hayward D, Dhadialla T, Zhou S, Kuiper M, Ball E, Wyatt G, et al. Ligand specificity and developmental expression of RXR and ecdysone receptor in the migratory locust. J Insect Physiol. 2003;49:1135-44 pubmed..Neither LmRXR isoform, alone or in combination with LmEcR, bound JH III at nanomolar concentrations. ..
- Grbic M, Van Leeuwen T, Clark R, Rombauts S, Rouze P, Grbic V, et al. The genome of Tetranychus urticae reveals herbivorous pest adaptations. Nature. 2011;479:487-92 pubmed publisher..The T. urticae genome thus offers new insights into arthropod evolution and plant-herbivore interactions, and provides unique opportunities for developing novel plant protection strategies...
- Reza A, Kanamori Y, Shinoda T, Shimura S, Mita K, Nakahara Y, et al. Hormonal control of a metamorphosis-specific transcriptional factor Broad-Complex in silkworm. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;139:753-61 pubmed..Thus, BR-C mRNAs are inducible by 20E only in the absence of JH, a finding that explains their metamorphosis-specific expression. ..
- Tian L, Liu S, Liu H, Li S. 20-hydroxyecdysone upregulates apoptotic genes and induces apoptosis in the Bombyx fat body. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2012;79:207-19 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we infer that 20E upregulates apoptotic genes and thus induces apoptosis in the Bombyx fat body during larval molting and the larval-pupal transition...
- Zheng W, Yang D, Wang J, Song Q, Gilbert L, Zhao X. Hsc70 binds to ultraspiracle resulting in the upregulation of 20-hydroxyecdsone-responsive genes in Helicoverpa armigera. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010;315:282-91 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Hsc70 participates in the 20E signal transduction pathway via binding to USP1 and mediating the expression of EcRB1, USP1 and then a set of 20E-responsive genes. ..
- Tian L, Guo E, Diao Y, Zhou S, Peng Q, Cao Y, et al. Genome-wide regulation of innate immunity by juvenile hormone and 20-hydroxyecdysone in the Bombyx fat body. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:549 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we demonstrate that JH acts as an immune-activator while 20E inhibits innate immunity in the fat body during Bombyx postembryonic development. ..
- Cao C, Liu Y, Lehmann M. Fork head controls the timing and tissue selectivity of steroid-induced developmental cell death. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:843-52 pubmed..More generally, they suggest that cell identity factors like Fkh play a pivotal role in the normal control of developmental cell death. ..
- Kethidi D, Li Y, Palli S. Protein kinase C mediated phosphorylation blocks juvenile hormone action. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2006;247:127-34 pubmed..These data suggest that protein kinase C mediated phosphorylation prevents binding of nuclear proteins to juvenile hormone responsive promoters resulting in suppression of JH action. ..
- Tatun N, Singtripop T, Sakurai S. Dual control of midgut trehalase activity by 20-hydroxyecdysone and an inhibitory factor in the bamboo borer Omphisa fuscidentalis Hampson. J Insect Physiol. 2008;54:351-7 pubmed..Taken together, at least two factors may participate in the change in midgut trehalase activity: increase in trehalase activity and decrease in trehalase inhibitor activity, both of which may be induced by 20E. ..
- Retnakaran A, Krell P, Feng Q, Arif B. Ecdysone agonists: mechanism and importance in controlling insect pests of agriculture and forestry. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2003;54:187-99 pubmed..Some insects, however, show resistance to these analogs and this could be, inter alia, due to an ATP Binding Cassette Transporter like system that selectively pumps out the analogs...
- Tian L, Guo E, Wang S, Liu S, Jiang R, Cao Y, et al. Developmental regulation of glycolysis by 20-hydroxyecdysone and juvenile hormone in fat body tissues of the silkworm, Bombyx mori. J Mol Cell Biol. 2010;2:255-63 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we conclude that 20E acts as a general blocker for glycolysis in the Bombyx fat body during molting and pupation, whereas the physiological role of JH is contrast with 20E during molting...
- Gao L, Cai G, Shi X. Beta-ecdysterone induces osteogenic differentiation in mouse mesenchymal stem cells and relieves osteoporosis. Biol Pharm Bull. 2008;31:2245-9 pubmedThe effect on bone tissue of beta-ecdysterone, a type of ecdysteroid found in many plants, has not been previously investigated...
- Consoulas C, Levine R, Restifo L. The steroid hormone-regulated gene Broad Complex is required for dendritic growth of motoneurons during metamorphosis of Drosophila. J Comp Neurol. 2005;485:321-37 pubmed..Candidates for mediating the effect of BRC-Z3 on dendritic growth of MN1-MN5 include their synaptic inputs and non-neuronal CNS cells that interact with them through direct contact or diffusible factors. ..
- Sun X, Song Q. PKC-mediated USP phosphorylation is required for 20E-induced gene expression in the salivary glands of Drosophila melanogaster. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2006;62:116-27 pubmed..The composite data suggest that PKC-mediated USP phosphorylation is required for 20E-induced gene expression in the salivary glands of Drosophila melanogaster. ..
- Cruz J, Mané Padrós D, Zou Z, Raikhel A. Distinct roles of isoforms of the heme-liganded nuclear receptor E75, an insect ortholog of the vertebrate Rev-erb, in mosquito reproduction. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2012;349:262-71 pubmed publisher..Disruption of this signaling pathway could be explored in the design of mosquito control approaches...
- Yang W, Xu K, Cong L, Wang J. Identification, mRNA expression, and functional analysis of chitin synthase 1 gene and its two alternative splicing variants in oriental fruit fly, Bactrocera dorsalis. Int J Biol Sci. 2013;9:331-42 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrated that BdCHS1 plays an important role in the larval-pupal transition and the expression of BdCHS1 in B. dorsalis is regulated by 20E. ..
- Sun Y, An S, Henrich V, Sun X, Song Q. Proteomic identification of PKC-mediated expression of 20E-induced protein in Drosophila melanogaster. J Proteome Res. 2007;6:4478-88 pubmed publisher..The data further indicate that PKC-mediated phosphorylation is also required for genes regulated indirectly by 20E-induced changes in the larval salivary gland...
- Liu Y, Zhou S, Ma L, Tian L, Wang S, Sheng Z, et al. Transcriptional regulation of the insulin signaling pathway genes by starvation and 20-hydroxyecdysone in the Bombyx fat body. J Insect Physiol. 2010;56:1436-44 pubmed publisher..We conclude that 20E slowly reduces food consumption and then indirectly induces a state of starvation resulting in the elevation of the mRNA levels of InR, IRS, PI3K110, and PDK in the Bombyx fat body during molting and pupation. ..
- Pondeville E, Maria A, Jacques J, Bourgouin C, Dauphin Villemant C. Anopheles gambiae males produce and transfer the vitellogenic steroid hormone 20-hydroxyecdysone to females during mating. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19631-6 pubmed publisher..This could thus lead to the identification of new target genes for manipulating male and/or female reproductive success, a promising way to reduce or eliminate mosquito population and therefore to control malaria transmission. ..
- Costantino B, Bricker D, Alexandre K, Shen K, Merriam J, Antoniewski C, et al. A novel ecdysone receptor mediates steroid-regulated developmental events during the mid-third instar of Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000102 pubmed publisher..This result is novel because it demonstrates for the first time that at least some 20E-mediated, mid-larval, developmental responses are controlled by an uncharacterized receptor that does not contain an RXR-like component. ..
- Beckstead R, Lam G, Thummel C. The genomic response to 20-hydroxyecdysone at the onset of Drosophila metamorphosis. Genome Biol. 2005;6:R99 pubmed
- Hiruma K, Riddiford L. Differential control of MHR3 promoter activity by isoforms of the ecdysone receptor and inhibitory effects of E75A and MHR3. Dev Biol. 2004;272:510-21 pubmed..In addition, E75A, another ecdysone-induced transcription factor, and MHR3 itself suppressed MHR3 promoter activity by binding to the monomeric response element (MRE2). Therefore, MHR3 can be down-regulated both by itself and by E75A. ..
- Guittard E, Blais C, Maria A, Parvy J, Pasricha S, Lumb C, et al. CYP18A1, a key enzyme of Drosophila steroid hormone inactivation, is essential for metamorphosis. Dev Biol. 2011;349:35-45 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the inactivation of 20E is essential for proper development and that CYP18A1 is a key enzyme in this process. ..
- Wang J, Jiang X, Wang Q, Hou L, Xu D, Wang J, et al. Identification and expression profile of a putative basement membrane protein gene in the midgut of Helicoverpa armigera. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:76 pubmed..This study will enlighten our understanding of the molecular mechanisms of tissue histolysis during metamorphosis. ..
- Dubrovsky E. Hormonal cross talk in insect development. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2005;16:6-11 pubmed..Two transcription factors--BR-C and E75A--contribute to the cross-talk between the two hormones. It appears that BR-C is a key target of JH status quo action, and E75A is a part of the mechanism whereby JH prevents BR-C activation. ..
- Sonobe H, Yamada R. Ecdysteroids during early embryonic development in silkworm Bombyx mori: metabolism and functions. Zoolog Sci. 2004;21:503-16 pubmed..To explain the process of the increase in the level of 20E during embryonic development in B. mori eggs, a possible model is proposed. ..
- Gilbert L. Halloween genes encode P450 enzymes that mediate steroid hormone biosynthesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2004;215:1-10 pubmed..Shade is present in several tissues as expected while disembodied and shadow are restricted to the ring gland. The paradigm used should allow us to define the enzymes mediating the entire ecdysteroid biosynthetic pathway. ..
- Zhou X, Zhou B, Truman J, Riddiford L. Overexpression of broad: a new insight into its role in the Drosophila prothoracic gland cells. J Exp Biol. 2004;207:1151-61 pubmed..Overexpression of each of the BR isoforms caused degeneration of the PG cells but on different time courses, indicating that BR is a signal for the degeneration of the PG cells that normally occurs during the pupal-adult transition. ..
- Petryk A, Warren J, Marques G, Jarcho M, Gilbert L, Kahler J, et al. Shade is the Drosophila P450 enzyme that mediates the hydroxylation of ecdysone to the steroid insect molting hormone 20-hydroxyecdysone. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:13773-8 pubmed
- Flatt T, Heyland A, Rus F, Porpiglia E, Sherlock C, Yamamoto R, et al. Hormonal regulation of the humoral innate immune response in Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:2712-24 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that 20E and JH play major roles in the regulation of gene expression in response to immune challenge. ..
- Terashima J, Takaki K, Sakurai S, Bownes M. Nutritional status affects 20-hydroxyecdysone concentration and progression of oogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. J Endocrinol. 2005;187:69-79 pubmed..Starvation causes the ovary to retain the ecdysteroid it produces, thus enabling individual egg chambers to undergo apoptosis and thus control the number of eggs produced in relation to food intake. ..
- Hansen I, Attardo G, Park J, Peng Q, Raikhel A. Target of rapamycin-mediated amino acid signaling in mosquito anautogeny. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:10626-31 pubmed..Thus, amino acid-based TOR signaling regulates the activation of egg development after a blood meal, an adaptation to the unique life style of mosquitoes. ..
- Nakagawa Y, Minakuchi C, Takahashi K, Ueno T. Inhibition of [3H]ponasterone A binding by ecdysone agonists in the intact Kc cell line. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2002;32:175-80 pubmed..The activity of tebufenozide analogs having an n-pentyl or n-hexyl group instead of a 4-ethylphenyl group was similar to that of RH-5849. ..