Genomes and Genes
Summary: Compounds which contain two or more rings in their structure.
- Lee T, Jung C, Lee D. Neuroprotective effects of Schisandrin B against transient focal cerebral ischemia in Sprague-Dawley rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50:4239-45 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Schisandrin B treatment provides a neuroprotective effect to rats after transient focal cerebral ischemia by inhibiting inflammation and by protecting against metalloproteinase degradation...
- Chu J, Wang H, Ye Y, Chan P, Pan S, Fong W, et al. Inhibitory effect of schisandrin B on free fatty acid-induced steatosis in L-02 cells. World J Gastroenterol. 2011;17:2379-88 pubmed publisher..Sch B inhibits FFA-induced steatosis in L-02 cells by, at least in part, reversing the up-regulation of ADRP and SREBP-1. ..
- Yang X, Wang Y, Zhang X, Chang R, Li X. Screening vasoconstriction inhibitors from traditional Chinese medicines using a vascular smooth muscle/cell membrane chromatography-offline-liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Sep Sci. 2011;34:2586-93 pubmed publisher..Our VSM/CMC-offline-LC-MS/MS method can be applied for screening vasoconstriction inhibitors from TCMs collected from FSC and FSS, and may be useful in the development of vasodilators from natural products. ..
- Yang M, Wang L, He Z, Wang S, Zhang S, Tu Y, et al. Tandem semipinacol-type 1,2-carbon migration/aldol reaction toward the construction of [5-6-7] all-carbon tricyclic core of Calyciphylline A-type alkaloids. Org Lett. 2012;14:5114-7 pubmed publisher..5]decanes which extensively exist in Daphniphyllum alkaloids. By the use of this method, further construction of a [5-6-7] all-carbon tricyclic core of Calyciphylline A-type alkaloids was also completed. ..
- Sladojevich F, Michaelides I, Benjamin D, Ward J, Dixon D. Expedient Route to the functionalized calyciphylline A-type skeleton via a Michael addition-RCM strategy. Org Lett. 2011;13:5132-5 pubmed publisher..Key features of this approach are an intramolecular Michael addition/allylation sequence and a ring-closing metathesis step. ..
- Fang B, Zheng H, Zhao C, Jing P, Li H, Xie X, et al. Synthesis of the tetracyclic core (ABCE rings) of daphenylline. J Org Chem. 2012;77:8367-73 pubmed..3.1] lactam as the key intermediate. This bridged bicyclic intermediate was efficiently constructed via a Brønsted acid promoted intramolecular Friedel-Crafts type Michael addition of a ?-benzyl ?,?-unsaturated ?-lactam. ..
- Sverko E, Tomy G, Reiner E, Li Y, McCarry B, Arnot J, et al. Dechlorane plus and related compounds in the environment: a review. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:5088-98 pubmed publisher..In particular, there is a need to obtain more monitoring, bioaccumulation, degradation rate, and toxicity information. ..
- Hanessian S, Dorich S, Menz H. Concise and stereocontrolled synthesis of the tetracyclic core of daphniglaucin C. Org Lett. 2013;15:4134-7 pubmed publisher..7%. The key steps toward this core motif feature a reductive double bond transposition from an unactivated tertiary allylic alcohol, a Pd-catalyzed Stille coupling, and Dieckmann cyclizations. ..
- Waiwut P, Shin M, Inujima A, Zhou Y, Koizumi K, Saiki I, et al. Gomisin N enhances TNF-?-induced apoptosis via inhibition of the NF-?B and EGFR survival pathways. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;350:169-75 pubmed publisher..The findings suggested that gomisin N enhanced TNF-?-induced apoptosis by suppressing of NF-?B and EGFR signaling pathways. ..
- Qiangrong P, Wang T, Lu Q, Hu X. Schisandrin B--a novel inhibitor of P-glycoprotein. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;335:406-11 pubmed..Schisandrin B has a core structure of dibenzocyclooctadiene, representing a novel P-glycoprotein inhibitor. To our best knowledge, the role of schisandrin B to inhibit P-glycoprotein has not been reported. ..
- Oh S, Kim Y, Bae D, Um B, Pan C, Kim C, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of gomisin N, gomisin J, and schisandrin C isolated from the fruit of Schisandra chinensis. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2010;74:285-91 pubmed..These inhibitory effects were found to be caused by blockage of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK), extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1 and 2 (ERK 1/2), and c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) phosphorylation...
- Chen N, Ko M. Schisandrin B-induced glutathione antioxidant response and cardioprotection are mediated by reactive oxidant species production in rat hearts. Biol Pharm Bull. 2010;33:825-9 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that Sch B-induced glutathione antioxidant response and cardioprotection may be mediated by ROS arising from CYP-catalyzed reaction. ..
- Huang T, Shen P, Shen Y. Preparative separation and purification of deoxyschisandrin and gamma-schisandrin from Schisandra chinensis (Turcz.) Baill by high-speed counter-current chromatography. J Chromatogr A. 2005;1066:239-42 pubmed
- Lam P, Chiu P, Leung H, Chen N, Leong P, Ko K. Schisandrin B co-treatment ameliorates the impairment on mitochondrial antioxidant status in various tissues of long-term ethanol treated rats. Fitoterapia. 2010;81:1239-45 pubmed publisher..Long-term Sch B treatment enhanced mitochondrial antioxidant status in a tissue non-specific manner. Sch B co-treatment ameliorated the alterations in plasma ROM levels, mtMDA production and Hsp 25/70 expression in rat tissues. ..
- Wolska L. Miniaturised analytical procedure of determining polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and polychlorinated biphenyls in bottom sediments. J Chromatogr A. 2002;959:173-80 pubmed..The interlaboratory study proved that the developed procedure for the simultaneous determination of PAHs and PCBs at largely different concentrations in sediment gives accurate and precise results. ..
- Pan Q, Lu Q, Zhang K, Hu X. Dibenzocyclooctadiene lingnans: a class of novel inhibitors of P-glycoprotein. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2006;58:99-106 pubmed..Further studies demonstrated that these compounds physically interacted with P-gp. Schisandrin A and B, and schisantherin A are potent P-gp inhibitor and is of potential for future clinical application. ..
- Huang M, Jin J, Sun H, Liu G. Reversal of P-glycoprotein-mediated multidrug resistance of cancer cells by five schizandrins isolated from the Chinese herb Fructus Schizandrae. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2008;62:1015-26 pubmed publisher..p.) on tumor growth in nude mice bearing KBv200 xenograft. The LCC and its active component Sin A have remarkable reversal effect on MDR in cancer cells by inhibition of both the function and expression of Pgp and total PKC. ..
- Egashira N, Kurauchi K, Iwasaki K, Mishima K, Orito K, Oishi R, et al. Schizandrin reverses memory impairment in rats. Phytother Res. 2008;22:49-52 pubmed..Taken together these findings suggest that schizandrin reverses scopolamine-induced memory impairment, in part, by enhancing cholinergic function, and that schizandrin might be useful for treating memory deficits...
- Chiu P, Leung H, Poon M, Ko K. Chronic schisandrin B treatment improves mitochondrial antioxidant status and tissue heat shock protein production in various tissues of young adult and middle-aged rats. Biogerontology. 2006;7:199-210 pubmed..The results suggest that chronic Sch B treatment may be beneficial for reversing the mitochondrial changes with aging and enhancing the heat shock response. ..
- Lam P, Ko K. (-)Schisandrin B ameliorates paraquat-induced oxidative stress by suppressing glutathione depletion and enhancing glutathione recovery in differentiated PC12 cells. Biofactors. 2011;37:51-7 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that (-)Sch B treatment may increase the resistance of dopaminergic cells against PQ-induced oxidative stress through reducing the extent of oxidant-induced GSH depletion and enhancing the subsequent GSH recovery. ..
- Jarvis M, Bianchi B, Uchic J, Cartmell J, Lee C, Williams M, et al. [3H]A-317491, a novel high-affinity non-nucleotide antagonist that specifically labels human P2X2/3 and P2X3 receptors. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004;310:407-16 pubmed..These data demonstrate that [3H]A-317491 is the first useful radioligand for the specific labeling of P2X3-containing channels. ..
- Pan Q, Han W, Liu Z, Li L, Hu X. Schisandrin B prevents doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity via enhancing glutathione redox cycling. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:6753-60 pubmed
- Chiu P, Leung H, Poon M, Mak D, Ko K. Effects of schisandrin B enantiomers on cellular glutathione and menadione toxicity in AML12 hepatocytes. Pharmacology. 2006;77:63-70 pubmed..The results indicate that (-)Sch B is more effective than (+)Sch B in enhancing cellular GSH and protecting against oxidant injury in hepatocytes. ..
- Ko K, Chen N, Leung H, Leong E, Poon M, Chiu P. Long-term schisandrin B treatment mitigates age-related impairments in mitochondrial antioxidant status and functional ability in various tissues, and improves the survival of aging C57BL/6J mice. Biofactors. 2008;34:331-42 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, long-term Sch B supplementation mitigated age-dependent impairments in mitochondrial antioxidant capacity and functional ability, thereby retarding the aging process in mice, particularly during early aging. ..
- Jarvis M, Burgard E, McGaraughty S, Honore P, Lynch K, Brennan T, et al. A-317491, a novel potent and selective non-nucleotide antagonist of P2X3 and P2X2/3 receptors, reduces chronic inflammatory and neuropathic pain in the rat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:17179-84 pubmed
- Pan S, Dong H, Zhao X, Xiang C, Fang H, Fong W, et al. Schisandrin B from Schisandra chinensis reduces hepatic lipid contents in hypercholesterolaemic mice. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2008;60:399-403 pubmed publisher..Fenofibrate treatment (100 mg kg(-1)) produced effects similar to those of Sch B on the hepatic index and lipid levels of hypercholesterolaemic mice...
- Ray S, Khillare P, Agarwal T, Shridhar V. Assessment of PAHs in soil around the International Airport in Delhi, India. J Hazard Mater. 2008;156:9-16 pubmed publisher..Predominance of pyrene was observed in the airport soil. Factor analysis and isomer pair ratios suggest pyrogenic origin of PAHs in the study area. ..
- Leong P, Chiu P, Chen N, Leung H, Ko K. Schisandrin B elicits a glutathione antioxidant response and protects against apoptosis via the redox-sensitive ERK/Nrf2 pathway in AML12 hepatocytes. Free Radic Res. 2011;45:483-95 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, (-)Sch B triggers a redox-sensitive ERK/Nrf2 signalling, which then elicits a cellular glutathione antioxidant response and protects against oxidant-induced apoptosis in AML12 cells. ..
- Chen N, Chiu P, Ko K. Schisandrin B enhances cerebral mitochondrial antioxidant status and structural integrity, and protects against cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats. Biol Pharm Bull. 2008;31:1387-91 pubmed..In conclusion, long-term Sch B treatment could enhance cerebral mitochondrial antioxidant status as well as improve mitochondrial structural integrity, thereby protecting against I/R injury...
- Wu G, Whiteside G, Lee G, Nolan S, Niosi M, Pearson M, et al. A-317491, a selective P2X3/P2X2/3 receptor antagonist, reverses inflammatory mechanical hyperalgesia through action at peripheral receptors in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2004;504:45-53 pubmed..Its efficacy demonstrates the importance of peripheral P2X3/P2X(2/3) receptors in mediating ATP-associated mechanical hyperalgesia following inflammation, confirming previous suggestions of a significant role for P2X(2/3). ..
- Devinney M, Reynolds I, Dineley K. Simultaneous detection of intracellular free calcium and zinc using fura-2FF and FluoZin-3. Cell Calcium. 2005;37:225-32 pubmed..These studies provide a novel method for the simultaneous detection of both calcium and zinc in cells. ..
- Wu Y, Cao M, Gao Y, Chen F, Wang T, Zumbika E, et al. Down-modulation of heat shock protein 70 and up-modulation of Caspase-3 during schisandrin B-induced apoptosis in human hepatoma SMMC-7721 cells. World J Gastroenterol. 2004;10:2944-8 pubmed
- Nishida H, Tatewaki N, Nakajima Y, Magara T, Ko K, Hamamori Y, et al. Inhibition of ATR protein kinase activity by schisandrin B in DNA damage response. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:5678-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our demonstration of the ability of SchB to inhibit ATR protein kinase activity following DNA damage in cells has clinical implications in anti-cancer therapy. ..
- Chiu P, Mak D, Poon M, Ko K. Role of cytochrome P-450 in schisandrin B-induced antioxidant and heat shock responses in mouse liver. Life Sci. 2005;77:2887-95 pubmed..Taken together, the results suggest that oxidant species generated from P-450-catalyzed reaction with Sch B may trigger the antioxidant and heat shock responses in mouse liver...
- Song H, Wang R, Wang S, Lin J. A low-molecular-weight compound discovered through virtual database screening inhibits Stat3 function in breast cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:4700-5 pubmed..Together, these results demonstrate that STA-21 inhibits breast cancer cells that express constitutively active Stat3. ..
- Chiu P, Chen N, Leong P, Leung H, Ko K. Schisandrin B elicits a glutathione antioxidant response and protects against apoptosis via the redox-sensitive ERK/Nrf2 pathway in H9c2 cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011;350:237-50 pubmed publisher..The ERK-mediated signaling is also likely involved in the cardioprotection afforded by Sch B in vivo. ..
- Sun M, Xu X, Lu Q, Pan Q, Hu X. Schisandrin B: a dual inhibitor of P-glycoprotein and multidrug resistance-associated protein 1. Cancer Lett. 2007;246:300-7 pubmed
- McGaraughty S, Wismer C, Zhu C, Mikusa J, Honore P, Chu K, et al. Effects of A-317491, a novel and selective P2X3/P2X2/3 receptor antagonist, on neuropathic, inflammatory and chemogenic nociception following intrathecal and intraplantar administration. Br J Pharmacol. 2003;140:1381-8 pubmed..Intrathecal administration of A-317491 appears to be more effective than intraplantar administration to reduce tactile allodynia following peripheral nerve injury. ..
- Ko K, Lam B. Schisandrin B protects against tert-butylhydroperoxide induced cerebral toxicity by enhancing glutathione antioxidant status in mouse brain. Mol Cell Biochem. 2002;238:181-6 pubmed..The ensemble of results suggests the antioxidant potential of Sch B pretreatment in protecting against cerebral oxidative stress. ..
- Li L, Lu Q, Shen Y, Hu X. Schisandrin B enhances doxorubicin-induced apoptosis of cancer cells but not normal cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2006;71:584-95 pubmed..Therefore, it is speculative that Sch B may bring benefit to clinical chemotherapy by reducing significantly the cumulative doses of DOX and its associated cardiotoxicities. ..
- Chiu P, Ko K. Schisandrin B protects myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury partly by inducing Hsp25 and Hsp70 expression in rats. Mol Cell Biochem. 2004;266:139-44 pubmed..The results indicate that the induction of Hsp25 and Hsp70 expression contributes at least partly to the cardioprotection afforded by Sch B pre-treatment against I-R injury...
- Chiu P, Ko K. Schisandrin B-induced increase in cellular glutathione level and protection against oxidant injury are mediated by the enhancement of glutathione synthesis and regeneration in AML12 and H9c2 cells. Biofactors. 2006;26:221-30 pubmed..In conclusion, the results indicate that the cytoprotective action of Sch B is causally related to the increase in cellular GSH level, which is likely mediated by the enhancement of GSH synthesis and regeneration. ..
- Zhu J, Feng Y, Shoeib M. Detection of dechlorane plus in residential indoor dust in the city of Ottawa, Canada. Environ Sci Technol. 2007;41:7694-8 pubmed..S. Environmental Protection Agency. The large variation of the ratio of syn- and anti-DP isomers in the dust samples also suggests a complex degradation process of DP in the environment. ..
- Gee K, Zhou Z, Qian W, Kennedy R. Detection and imaging of zinc secretion from pancreatic beta-cells using a new fluorescent zinc indicator. J Am Chem Soc. 2002;124:776-8 pubmed..Also, within secreting cells some regions of the cell membrane gave rise to secretion while others did not, suggesting active zones of secretion on the cell surface. ..
- Saito N, Terakawa R, Shigeno M, Amemiya R, Yamaguchi M. Side chain effect on the double helix formation of ethynylhelicene oligomers. J Org Chem. 2011;76:4841-58 pubmed publisher..Side chains of ethynylhelicene oligomers can play significant roles in determining the stability of double helices. ..
- Shigeno M, Yamaguchi M. Formation of organic gel-liquid two-layer systems using diffusion-controlled gelation with a helicene derivative. Chem Commun (Camb). 2012;48:6139-41 pubmed publisher..Gelation took place by the diffusion of (M)-1 and THF from the bottom layer to the upper hexane layer. This method provided multilayer liquid-gel systems. ..
- Li W, Xin H, Yu A, Wu X. In vivo effect of Schisandrin B on cytochrome P450 enzyme activity. Phytomedicine. 2013;20:760-5 pubmed publisher..When the drug, consisting of Sch B, is used in the clinic for more than 3 days, the possible drug-drug interactions should be taken into consideration. ..
- Pan S, Jia Z, Zhang Y, Yu Q, Wang X, Sun N, et al. Novel mouse model of combined hyperlipidemia associated with steatosis and liver injury by a single-dose intragastric administration of schisandrin B/cholesterol/bile salts mixture. J Pharmacol Sci. 2013;123:110-9 pubmed..Oral administration of a mixture of schisandrin B, cholesterol, and bile salt could generate an interesting mouse model of combined hyperlipidemia associated with hepatic steatosis and steatohepatitis. ..