Summary: Closable openings in the epidermis of plants on the underside of leaves. They allow the exchange of gases between the internal tissues of the plant and the outside atmosphere.
- Slot M, Winter K. InÂ situ temperature response of photosynthesis of 42 tree and liana species in the canopy of two Panamanian lowland tropical forests with contrasting rainfall regimes. New Phytol. 2017;214:1103-1117 pubmed publisher..These results should facilitate the scaling up of photosynthesis in relation to temperature from leaf to stand level in species-rich tropical forests. ..
- Arnaud D, Lee S, Takebayashi Y, Choi D, Choi J, Sakakibara H, et al. Cytokinin-Mediated Regulation of Reactive Oxygen Species Homeostasis Modulates Stomatal Immunity in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2017;29:543-559 pubmed publisher..Thus, the CK signaling pathway regulates ROS homeostasis in guard cells, which leads to enhanced stomatal immunity and plant resistance to bacteria. ..
- Pariyar S, Chang S, Zinsmeister D, Zhou H, Grantz D, Hunsche M, et al. Xeromorphic traits help to maintain photosynthesis in the perhumid climate of a Taiwanese cloud forest. Oecologia. 2017;184:609-621 pubmed publisher..Air pollutants, particularly hygroscopic aerosol, may disturb this functionality by enhancing condensation and reducing the surface tension of leaf surface water. ..
- CorratgÃ© Faillie C, Ronzier E, Sanchez F, Prado K, Kim J, Lanciano S, et al. The Arabidopsis guard cell outward potassium channel GORK is regulated by CPK33. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:1982-1992 pubmed publisher..Further work on CPK33 indicates that GORK activity is enhanced by CPK33 and unaffected by a nonfunctional CPK33 (CPK33-K102M). Furthermore, Ca2+ -induced stomatal closure is impaired in two cpk33 mutant plants. ..
- Ogata T, Nagatoshi Y, Yamagishi N, Yoshikawa N, Fujita Y. Virus-induced down-regulation of GmERA1A and GmERA1B genes enhances the stomatal response to abscisic acid and drought resistance in soybean. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175650 pubmed publisher..Thus, the ALSV-VIGS system could constitute part of a next-generation molecular breeding pipeline to accelerate drought resistance breeding in soybean. ..
- Zhu M, Zhang T, Ji W, Silva Sanchez C, Song W, Assmann S, et al. Redox regulation of a guard cell SNF1-related protein kinase in Brassica napus, an oilseed crop. Biochem J. 2017;474:2585-2599 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data indicate that BnSnRK2.4-1C, an SnRK preferentially expressed in guard cells, is redox-regulated with potential roles in guard cell signal transduction. ..
- Anderegg W, Wolf A, Arango Velez A, Choat B, Chmura D, Jansen S, et al. Plant water potential improves prediction of empirical stomatal models. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185481 pubmed publisher..Such improvements in stomatal simulation are greatly needed to help unravel and predict the response of ecosystems to future climate extremes. ..
- Khokon M, Salam M, Jammes F, Ye W, Hossain M, Okuma E, et al. MPK9 and MPK12 function in SA-induced stomatal closure in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1394-1400 pubmed publisher..These results imply that MPK9 and MPK12 are positive regulators of SA signaling in Arabidopsis guard cells. ..
- Dai L, Li P, Shang B, Liu S, Yang A, Wang Y, et al. Differential responses of peach (Prunus persica) seedlings to elevated ozone are related with leaf mass per area, antioxidant enzymes activity rather than stomatal conductance. Environ Pollut. 2017;227:380-388 pubmed publisher..Results could provide a theoretical basis for selecting and breeding the ozone-resistant cultivars of peach trees grown in high O3-polluted regions. ..
- Chen Q, Li Y, Fan X. Molecule mechanism for regulating stomatal development in plants. Yi Chuan. 2017;39:302-312 pubmed publisher..We also outline the stomatal development processes mediated by crosstalk between exogenous and intrinsic signals, and propose a model of multilevel regulation of stomatal development. ..
- Pornsiriwong W, Estavillo G, Chan K, Tee E, Ganguly D, Crisp P, et al. A chloroplast retrograde signal, 3'-phosphoadenosine 5'-phosphate, acts as a secondary messenger in abscisic acid signaling in stomatal closure and germination. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Thus, PAP exhibits many secondary messenger attributes and exemplifies how retrograde signals can have broader roles in hormone signaling, allowing chloroplasts to fine-tune physiological responses. ..
- Lin G, Zhang L, Han Z, Yang X, Liu W, Li E, et al. A receptor-like protein acts as a specificity switch for the regulation of stomatal development. Genes Dev. 2017;31:927-938 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrate that TMM dictates the specificity of ERfs for the perception of different EPFs, thus functioning as a specificity switch for the regulation of the activities of ERfs. ..
- Harley P, Eller A, Guenther A, Monson R. Observations and models of emissions of volatile terpenoid compounds from needles of ponderosa pine trees growing in situ: control by light, temperature and stomatal conductance. Oecologia. 2014;176:35-55 pubmed..Differences between the monoterpene composition of ambient air and needle emissions imply a significant non-needle emission source enriched in ?-3-carene. ..