Genomes and Genes
Summary: Nonsusceptibility of bacteria to the antibiotic KANAMYCIN, which can bind to their 70S ribosomes and cause misreading of messenger RNA.
- Nielsen K, van Elsas J, Smalla K. Transformation of Acinetobacter sp. strain BD413(pFG4DeltanptII) with transgenic plant DNA in soil microcosms and effects of kanamycin on selection of transformants. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:1237-42 pubmed..after addition of nutrients and transgenic plant DNA encoding a functional nptII gene conferring bacterial kanamycin resistance. Selective effects of the addition of kanamycin on the population dynamics of Acinetobacter sp...
- Srivastava V, Rouanet C, Srivastava R, Ramalingam B, Locht C, Srivastava B. Macrophage-specific Mycobacterium tuberculosis genes: identification by green fluorescent protein and kanamycin resistance selection. Microbiology. 2007;153:659-66 pubmed..An in vivo expression system has been developed, based on green fluorescent protein and kanamycin resistance, to identify M. tuberculosis genes which appear to be up-regulated in infected macrophages...
- Gibreel A, Sköld O, Taylor D. Characterization of plasmid-mediated aphA-3 kanamycin resistance in Campylobacter jejuni. Microb Drug Resist. 2004;10:98-105 pubmed..jejuni and three isolates of Campylobacter coli, isolated from Sweden, Canada, and Egypt, were screened for kanamycin resistance. Eight strains of C. jejuni contained large plasmids that carried the aphA-3 kanamycin-resistance marker...
- Stegemann S, Hartmann S, Ruf S, Bock R. High-frequency gene transfer from the chloroplast genome to the nucleus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:8828-33 pubmed
- Chen C, Strobaugh T, Lindsey R, Frye J, Uhlich G. Sequence analysis of a group of low molecular-weight plasmids carrying multiple IS903 elements flanking a kanamycin resistance aph gene in Salmonella enterica serovars. Plasmid. 2011;65:246-52 pubmed publisher..Three of the four plasmids had identical sequences, and the fourth had an extra copy of IS903 with target duplication, suggesting a recent divergence in the different Salmonella serovars from a common ancestor...
- Gikalo M, Nosova E, Krylova L, Moroz A. The role of eis mutations in the development of kanamycin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from the Moscow region. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012;67:2107-9 pubmed publisher..Molecular analysis of the rrs gene seems to be not enough to identify every case of kanamycin resistance. In the present study we evaluated the incidence of eis mutations in kanamycin-resistant Mycobacterium ..
- Gray G, Fitch W. Evolution of antibiotic resistance genes: the DNA sequence of a kanamycin resistance gene from Staphylococcus aureus. Mol Biol Evol. 1983;1:57-66 pubmedThe kanamycin resistance gene from Staphylococcus aureus has been sequenced and its structure compared with similar genes isolated from Streptomyces fradiae and from two transposons, Tn5 and Tn903, originally isolated from Klebsiella ..
- Rouch D, Byrne M, Kong Y, Skurray R. The aacA-aphD gentamicin and kanamycin resistance determinant of Tn4001 from Staphylococcus aureus: expression and nucleotide sequence analysis. J Gen Microbiol. 1987;133:3039-52 pubmed publisher..Comparison of the C-terminal end of the predicted amino acid sequence with the reported sequences of 13 APHs and a viomycin phosphotransferase revealed a region which is highly conserved among these phosphotransferases...
- Valentin H, Dennis D. Metabolic pathway for poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate) formation in Nocardia corallina: inactivation of mutB by chromosomal integration of a kanamycin resistance gene. Appl Environ Microbiol. 1996;62:372-9 pubmed..probe deduced from mutB of Streptomyces cinnamonensis, mutBNc was interrupted by insertion of a kanamycin resistance gene block (mutB::kan or mutB::neo) and introduced into N...
- Bosl M, Kersten H. Organization and functions of genes in the upstream region of tyrT of Escherichia coli: phenotypes of mutants with partial deletion of a new gene (tgs). J Bacteriol. 1994;176:221-31 pubmed..A spontaneous mutation in ORF37, caused by the integration of an insertion element, IS1, exhibited no phenotype. ..
- Srivastava V, Jain A, Srivastava B, Srivastava R. Selection of genes of Mycobacterium tuberculosis upregulated during residence in lungs of infected mice. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2008;88:171-7 pubmed..Macrophage-specific Mycobacterium tuberculosis genes: identification by green fluorescent protein and kanamycin resistance selection...
- Rosellini D, LaFayette P, Barone P, Veronesi F, Parrott W. Kanamycin-resistant alfalfa has a point mutation in the 16S plastid rRNA. Plant Cell Rep. 2004;22:774-9 pubmed..Nevertheless, mutations conferring kanamycin resistance have been identified in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii, raising the question as to why kanamycin-resistant ..
- Sun Y, Qiao X, Mindich L. Construction of carrier state viruses with partial genomes of the segmented dsRNA bacteriophages. Virology. 2004;319:274-9 pubmed..the virus replicates as a stable episome in the host bacterium while expressing reporter genes such as kanamycin resistance or lacalpha...
- Duggan P, Chambers P, Heritage J, Michael Forbes J. Fate of genetically modified maize DNA in the oral cavity and rumen of sheep. Br J Nutr. 2003;89:159-66 pubmed..saliva sampled after incubation for 8 min was still capable of transforming competent Escherichia coli to kanamycin resistance, implying that DNA released from the diet within the mouth may retain sufficient biological activity for ..
- Miller M, Healey D, Robison S, Dewey J, Buskirk A. The role of upstream sequences in selecting the reading frame on tmRNA. BMC Biol. 2008;6:29 pubmed publisher..Our results strongly disfavor direct ribosomal recognition of the upstream sequence, instead supporting a model in which the binding of a separate ligand to A86 is primarily responsible for frame selection. ..
- Tosato V, Waghmare S, Bruschi C. Non-reciprocal chromosomal bridge-induced translocation (BIT) by targeted DNA integration in yeast. Chromosoma. 2005;114:15-27 pubmed
- Nielsen K, Smalla K, van Elsas J. Natural transformation of Acinetobacter sp. strain BD413 with cell lysates of Acinetobacter sp., Pseudomonas fluorescens, and Burkholderia cepacia in soil microcosms. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:206-12 pubmed..Detection of gene transfer was facilitated by the recombinational repair of a partially (317 bp) deleted kanamycin resistance gene in the recipient bacterium...
- Goldstein D, Tinland B, Gilbertson L, Staub J, Bannon G, Goodman R, et al. Human safety and genetically modified plants: a review of antibiotic resistance markers and future transformation selection technologies. J Appl Microbiol. 2005;99:7-23 pubmed
- Felnagle E, Rondon M, Berti A, Crosby H, Thomas M. Identification of the biosynthetic gene cluster and an additional gene for resistance to the antituberculosis drug capreomycin. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:4162-70 pubmed..Thus, S. mutabilis subsp. capreolus may also use ribosome modification as a mechanism for CMN resistance. ..
- Dhekney S, Li Z, Dutt M, Gray D. Initiation and transformation of grapevine embryogenic cultures. Methods Mol Biol. 2012;847:215-25 pubmed publisher..Transgenic embryos identified on the basis on GFP fluorescence and kanamycin resistance are transferred to germination medium to regenerate transgenic plants...
- Shen H. Activation-induced cytidine deaminase acts on double-strand breaks in vitro. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:974-83 pubmed..After AID acts on break ends, the error-prone DNA repair machinery fixes and creates mutations. ..
- Richter L, Tai W, Felton J, Saviola B. Determination of the minimal acid-inducible promoter region of the lipF gene from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Gene. 2007;395:22-8 pubmed..smegmatis bearing the minimal promoter region fused to gfp and revealed a start site of transcription specifically upregulated by acid stress corresponding to -511 bp upstream of lipF with respect to the start of translation. ..
- Chen W, Green K, Garneau Tsodikova S. Cosubstrate tolerance of the aminoglycoside resistance enzyme Eis from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012;56:5831-8 pubmed publisher..The information reported herein will advance our understanding of the multiacetylation mechanism of inactivation of AGs by Eis, which is responsible for M. tuberculosis resistance to some AGs. ..
- Hou Y, Lin Y, Sharer J, March P. In vivo selection of conditional-lethal mutations in the gene encoding elongation factor G of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:123-9 pubmed..It is concluded that these sequences encode a specific domain that is essential for efficient translocase function. ..
- O Connor M, Dahlberg A. Mutations at U2555, a tRNA-protected base in 23S rRNA, affect translational fidelity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:9214-8 pubmed..These effects on translational fidelity demonstrate the importance of U2555 for selection of the correct tRNA at the ribosomal A site. ..
- Yamada T, Yamamoto R, Kaneko H, Yoshitake A. Ethylnitrosourea-induced mutation and molecular analysis of transgenic mice containing the gpt shuttle vector. Mutat Res. 1999;441:59-72 pubmed..These results demonstrate that this transgenic mouse, in combination with the transgenic CHL/IU cell line, is a useful system to study in vivo and in vitro mutational events at the same target gene. ..
- Radu S, Elhadi N, Hassan Z, Rusul G, Lihan S, Fifadara N, et al. Characterization of Vibrio vulnificus isolated from cockles (Anadara granosa): antimicrobial resistance, plasmid profiles and random amplification of polymorphic DNA analysis. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998;165:139-43 pubmed..25 to 2.7 kb, indicating a high variability among both biotype 1 and biotype 2 of the V. vulnificus strains investigated. RAPD identity across biotypes was also observed among Vibrio vulnificus strains. ..
- McGowan C, Cover T, Blaser M. Analysis of F1F0-ATPase from Helicobacter pylori. Infect Immun. 1997;65:2640-7 pubmed..We next disrupted the cloned beta-subunit sequence in E. coli by insertion of a kanamycin resistance cassette and sought to construct an isogenic F1F0-ATPase H...
- Zheng L, Chen Z, Itzek A, Herzberg M, Kreth J. CcpA regulates biofilm formation and competence in Streptococcus gordonii. Mol Oral Microbiol. 2012;27:83-94 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that CcpA is involved in the regulation of biofilm formation and competence development in S. gordonii. ..
- Guliĭ O, Markina L, Bunin V, Ignatov V, Ignatov O. [Electrooptical parameters of kanamycin-treated E. coli cell suspensions]. Mikrobiologiia. 2008;77:380-5 pubmed..Control experiments were carried out by standard plating on nutrient media. Thus, the OS changes of suspensions in the presence of antibiotics may be used as a test for microbial resistance to such antibiotics. ..
- Jain A, Dixit P, Prasad R. Pre-XDR & XDR in MDR and Ofloxacin and Kanamycin resistance in non-MDR Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2012;92:404-6 pubmed publisher..3%) were resistant to either OFX or KM (Pre-XDR) & 11 (8.5%) were resistant to both KM & OFX (XDR). Resistance to quinolones & aminoglycosides should be routinely assessed in areas endemic for tuberculosis. ..
- Stark T, Angelov A, Hofmann M, Liebl W, Hofmann T. Comparative direct infusion ion mobility mass spectrometry profiling of Thermus thermophilus wild-type and mutant ?cruC carotenoid extracts. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2013;405:9843-8 pubmed publisher..we deleted the megaplasmid open reading frame TT_P0062 (termed cruC) by both exchanging it with a kanamycin resistance cassette (?cruC:kat) and by generating a markerless gene deletion strain (?cruC)...
- Nadolska Orczyk A, Pietrusinska A, Binka Wyrwa A, Kuc D, Orczyk W. Diploid potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) as a model crop to study transgene expression. Cell Mol Biol Lett. 2007;12:206-19 pubmed..The same potato lines carrying multi-copy bar under Ubi1 were also highly resistant to the herbicide Basta. The suggestion of using Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of diploid lines of potato as a model crop is discussed herein. ..
- Vajic S, Anastasov N, Vasiljevic B. The kgmB gene, encoding ribosomal RNA methylase from Streptomyces tenebrarius, is autogenously regulated. Arch Microbiol. 2004;182:475-81 pubmed..It was shown that the Sgm methylase can also decrease the level of expression of the kgmBColon, two colonslacZ fusion protein. ..
- Duran R. New shuttle vectors for Rhodococcus sp. R312 (formerly Brevibacterium sp. R312), a nitrile hydratase producing strain. J Basic Microbiol. 1998;38:101-6 pubmed..coli plasmid. Transformation of Rhodococcus sp. R312 (formerly Brevibacterium sp. R312) protoplasts was realised with an efficiency of 28 transformants per micrograms of DNA. ..
- Maftahi M, Gaillardin C, Nicaud J. Sticky-end polymerase chain reaction method for systematic gene disruption in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast. 1996;12:859-68 pubmed..g. AscI) specific for the rare restriction site. This approach was used to disrupt three open reading frames identified during the sequencing of COS14-1 from chromosome XIV of S. cerevisiae. ..
- O dwyer C, Langford P, Kroll J. A novel neisserial shuttle plasmid: a useful new tool for meningococcal research. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2005;251:143-7 pubmed..Modified by the incorporation of a kanamycin resistance cassette, the plasmid can be stably maintained in Escherichia coli and Neisseria meningitidis, and can be ..
- Byrne M, Rouch D, Skurray R. Nucleotide sequence analysis of IS256 from the Staphylococcus aureus gentamicin-tobramycin-kanamycin-resistance transposon Tn4001. Gene. 1989;81:361-7 pubmed..J. Gen. Microbiol. 133 (1987) 3039-3052], completes the entire sequence of Tn4001, which totals 4566 bp. ..
- Chatterjee P, Mukherjee S, Shakes L, Wilson W, Coren J, Harewood K, et al. Selecting transpositions using phage P1 headful packaging: new markerless transposons for functionally mapping long-range regulatory sequences in bacterial artificial chromosomes and P1-derived artificial chromosomes. Anal Biochem. 2004;335:305-15 pubmed..The procedure nevertheless offers a potential approach to map recombinogenic sequences in BACs and PACs...
- Rholl D, Trunck L, Schweizer H. In vivo Himar1 transposon mutagenesis of Burkholderia pseudomallei. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008;74:7529-35 pubmed publisher..pseudomallei (HimarBP). The transposons contain a Flp recombinase-excisable, approved kanamycin resistance selection marker and an R6K origin of replication for transposon rescue. In vivo mutagenesis of virulent B...
- Bernard P. New ccdB positive-selection cloning vectors with kanamycin or chloramphenicol selectable markers. Gene. 1995;162:159-60 pubmed..New pKIL-derived vectors with kanamycin (KmR) or chloramphenicol (CmR) resistance-encoding genes were also constructed. In addition, a new host derived from the DH2 strain was developed. ..
- Calhoun M, Gennis R. Demonstration of separate genetic loci encoding distinct membrane-bound respiratory NADH dehydrogenases in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:3013-9 pubmed..The enzyme encoded by this locus probably translocates protons across the inner membrane, contributing to the proton motive force. ..
- Hashimoto Y, Yano T, Kuramitsu S, Kagamiyama H. Disruption of Thermus thermophilus genes by homologous recombination using a thermostable kanamycin-resistant marker. FEBS Lett. 2001;506:231-4 pubmed..The convenience and high reliability of this method should prompt its application to the high-throughput systematic disruption of the genes of this thermophilic bacterium. ..
- Cain A, Hall R. Transposon Tn5393e carrying the aphA1-containing transposon Tn6023 upstream of strAB does not confer resistance to streptomycin. Microb Drug Resist. 2011;17:389-94 pubmed publisher..The structures of several further variants of Tn5393 found in GenBank were analyzed and assigned variant designations Tn5393f-Tn5393i. ..
- Carpenter J, Ploense S, Snustad D, Silflow C. Preferential expression of an alpha-tubulin gene of Arabidopsis in pollen. Plant Cell. 1992;4:557-71 pubmed..Examination of the TUA1 promoter sequence revealed several motifs that are repeated within the TUA1 promoter and are similar to sequences in other pollen-specific promoters. ..
- Skorupski K, Taylor R. Positive selection vectors for allelic exchange. Gene. 1996;169:47-52 pubmed..In this report, we show that these vectors can be used to efficiently introduce point mutations and deletions into the chromosome of Vibrio cholerae. ..
- Chaudhuri S, Maliga P. Sequences directing C to U editing of the plastid psbL mRNA are located within a 22 nucleotide segment spanning the editing site. EMBO J. 1996;15:5958-64 pubmed..To identify the RNA segment required for psbL editing, chimeric kanamycin resistance genes were constructed containing psbL deletion derivatives, and tested in vivo for editing in transgenic ..
- De Antoni A, Gallwitz D. A novel multi-purpose cassette for repeated integrative epitope tagging of genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene. 2000;246:179-85 pubmed..In this paper, new modules containing a tag-loxP-kanMX-loxP cassette are described that allow tagging of different genes by using the kan(r) marker repeatedly. ..
- Hwang Y, Kang J, Woo H, Choi Y, Park Y. Functional investigation of a gene encoding pteridine glycosyltransferase for cyanopterin synthesis in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002;1570:141-4 pubmedA gene (slr1166) putatively encoding pteridine glycosyltransferase was disrupted with a kanamycin resistance cassette in Synechocystis sp. PCC 6803, which produces cyanopterin...
- Alfredson D, Korolik V. Sequence analysis of a cryptic plasmid pCJ419 from Campylobacter jejuni and construction of an Escherichia coli-Campylobacter shuttle vector. Plasmid. 2003;50:152-60 pubmed..shuttle cloning vector, pGU0202, was constructed using plasmid pMW2 that harbours a Campylobacter-derived kanamycin resistance gene [aph(3')-III]...
- Aoyama M, Agari K, Sun Wada G, Futai M, Wada Y. Simple and straightforward construction of a mouse gene targeting vector using in vitro transposition reactions. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:e52 pubmed..We confirmed that this system remarkably reduced the time and labor for the construction of complex gene targeting vectors. ..
- Kobayashi H, Kuwae A, Maseda H, Nakamura A, Hoshino T. Isolation of a low-molecular-weight, multicopy plasmid, pNHK101, from Thermus sp. TK10 and its use as an expression vector for T. thermophilus HB27. Plasmid. 2005;54:70-9 pubmed..Based on pNHK101, we constructed a plasmid vector, pKMH052, containing the highly thermostable kanamycin resistance gene as a selective marker...