Genomes and Genes
Summary: Nonsusceptibility of a microbe to the action of ampicillin, a penicillin derivative that interferes with cell wall synthesis.
- Coque T, Willems R, Canton R, del Campo R, Baquero F. High occurrence of esp among ampicillin-resistant and vancomycin-susceptible Enterococcus faecium clones from hospitalized patients. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2002;50:1035-8 pubmed..faecium clones. This observation indicates that antibiotic-resistant variants may frequently arise under antibiotic selective pressure among esp-positive clones reaching ecological abundance in the nosocomial habitat. ..
- Sifaoui F, Arthur M, Rice L, Gutmann L. Role of penicillin-binding protein 5 in expression of ampicillin resistance and peptidoglycan structure in Enterococcus faecium. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2001;45:2594-7 pubmed..These results indicate that pbp5 is a nonessential gene responsible for intrinsic resistance to moderate levels of ampicillin and by itself cannot confer high-level resistance. ..
- Kim I, Ki C, Kim S, Oh W, Peck K, Song J, et al. Diversity of ampicillin resistance genes and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns in Haemophilus influenzae strains isolated in Korea. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007;51:453-60 pubmed..influenzae strains in Korea. ..
- Gasparro F, Edelson R, O Malley M, Ugent S, Wong H. Photoactivatable antisense DNA: suppression of ampicillin resistance in normally resistant Escherichia coli. Antisense Res Dev. 1991;1:117-40 pubmed..Bacteria treated in a similar manner but in the presence of tetracycline instead of ampicillin were not affected. The activity of beta-galactosidase, whose gene is located on the same plasmid as beta-lactamase, was not affected. ..
- Hoyle D, Davison H, Knight H, Yates C, Dobay O, Gunn G, et al. Molecular characterisation of bovine faecal Escherichia coli shows persistence of defined ampicillin resistant strains and the presence of class 1 integrons on an organic beef farm. Vet Microbiol. 2006;115:250-7 pubmed..coli. The prevalence of ampicillin resistance ranged from 27.3 to 40...
- Bibbal D, Dupouy V, Ferre J, Toutain P, Fayet O, Prere M, et al. Impact of three ampicillin dosage regimens on selection of ampicillin resistance in Enterobacteriaceae and excretion of blaTEM genes in swine feces. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2007;73:4785-90 pubmedThe aim of this study was to assess the impact of three ampicillin dosage regimens on ampicillin resistance among Enterobacteriaceae recovered from swine feces by use of phenotypic and genotypic approaches...
- Shen H, Ratnam S, Storb U. Targeting of the activation-induced cytosine deaminase is strongly influenced by the sequence and structure of the targeted DNA. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:10815-21 pubmed
- Rice L, Bellais S, Carias L, Hutton Thomas R, Bonomo R, Caspers P, et al. Impact of specific pbp5 mutations on expression of beta-lactam resistance in Enterococcus faecium. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004;48:3028-32 pubmedWe tested the impact of individual PBP 5 mutations on expression of ampicillin resistance in Enterococcus faecium using a shuttle plasmid designed to facilitate expression of cloned pbp5 in ampicillin-susceptible E. faecium D344SRF...
- Bizzarro M, Dembry L, Baltimore R, Gallagher P. Changing patterns in neonatal Escherichia coli sepsis and ampicillin resistance in the era of intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis. Pediatrics. 2008;121:689-96 pubmed publisher..was to determine current trends in Escherichia coli-related early- and late-onset sepsis and patterns of ampicillin resistance in relation to institutional changes in the use of intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis...
- Zhang X, Paganelli F, Bierschenk D, Kuipers A, Bonten M, Willems R, et al. Genome-wide identification of ampicillin resistance determinants in Enterococcus faecium. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002804 pubmed publisher..in the low-affinity penicillin binding protein PBP5 have previously been shown to be important for ampicillin resistance in E. faecium, but the existence of additional resistance determinants has been suggested...
- Top J, Willems R, Blok H, de Regt M, Jalink K, Troelstra A, et al. Ecological replacement of Enterococcus faecalis by multiresistant clonal complex 17 Enterococcus faecium. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2007;13:316-9 pubmed..This ecological change mimics events preceding the emergence of vancomycin-resistant E. faecium (VREF) in the USA and may presage the emergence of CC17 VREF in European hospitals. ..
- Hart A, Nowicki B, Reisner B, Pawelczyk E, Goluszko P, Urvil P, et al. Ampicillin-resistant Escherichia coli in gestational pyelonephritis: increased occurrence and association with the colonization factor Dr adhesin. J Infect Dis. 2001;183:1526-9 pubmedThe pattern of ampicillin resistance and possible association with virulence factors of 78 Escherichia coli isolates taken from 78 pregnant women with pyelonephritis were evaluated...
- Fortun J, Coque T, Martin Davila P, Moreno L, Canton R, Loza E, et al. Risk factors associated with ampicillin resistance in patients with bacteraemia caused by Enterococcus faecium. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2002;50:1003-9 pubmed..12-20.0) and urinary catheterization (OR:4.2; 95% CI: 1.3-30.0) were identified as predictors of ampicillin resistance in enterococcal bacteraemic patients...
- Poeta P, Costa D, Igrejas G, Sáenz Y, Zarazaga M, Rodrigues J, et al. Polymorphisms of the pbp5 gene and correlation with ampicillin resistance in Enterococcus faecium isolates of animal origin. J Med Microbiol. 2007;56:236-40 pubmed..A correlation between deduced amino acid changes in PBP5 and ampicillin MICs was detected in animal E. faecium isolates. ..
- Ishikawa K, Miyakawa S, Tanaka T, Naide Y, Shiroki R, Hoshinaga K. [The trend and susceptibility to antibacterial agents of enterococcus species from urinary tract infections]. Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi. 2004;95:25-34 pubmed..An early detection of these problem pathogens is also important for preventing any treatment failures. ..
- Suhan M, Chen S, Thompson H. Transformation of Coxiella burnetii to ampicillin resistance. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:2701-8 pubmed..176:5233-5243, 1994). In the present study, an ars replicon was used to transform C. burnetii to ampicillin resistance. Plasmid pSKO(+)1000 contained the C...
- Leavis H, Bonten M, Willems R. Identification of high-risk enterococcal clonal complexes: global dispersion and antibiotic resistance. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2006;9:454-60 pubmed..This complex is correlated with ampicillin and quinolone resistance and with the presence of a putative pathogenicity island. Preliminary MLST data suggest that similar hospital-adapted complexes might also exist in E. faecalis. ..
- Walsh C, Duffy G, Nally P, O Mahony R, McDowell D, Fanning S. Transfer of ampicillin resistance from Salmonella Typhimurium DT104 to Escherichia coli K12 in food. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2008;46:210-5 pubmed..It highlights the involvement of food matrices in the dissemination of antibiotic-resistant genes and the evolution of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. ..
- May T, Ito A, Okabe S. Induction of multidrug resistance mechanism in Escherichia coli biofilms by interplay between tetracycline and ampicillin resistance genes. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009;53:4628-39 pubmed publisher..Here we showed the interplay between the tetracycline resistance efflux pump TetA(C) and the ampicillin resistance gene (bla(TEM-1)) in biofilms of Escherichia coli harboring pBR322 in the presence of the mixture of ..
- Oteo J, Cuevas O, Navarro C, Aracil B, Campos J. Trends in antimicrobial resistance in 3469 enterococci isolated from blood (EARSS experience 2001-06, Spain): increasing ampicillin resistance in Enterococcus faecium. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2007;59:1044-5 pubmed
- Suppola J, Kolho E, Salmenlinna S, Tarkka E, Vuopio Varkila J, Vaara M. vanA and vanB incorporate into an endemic ampicillin-resistant vancomycin-sensitive Enterococcus faecium strain: effect on interpretation of clonality. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:3934-9 pubmed..None of the differences was specific to or determinative for any of the groups. Our material suggests that vanA and vanB incorporate into an endemic ampicillin-resistant VSE strain. ..
- Ruiz Garbajosa P, del Campo R, Coque T, Asensio A, Bonten M, Willems R, et al. Longer intestinal persistence of Enterococcus faecalis compared to Enterococcus faecium clones in intensive-care-unit patients. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:345-51 pubmed publisher..faecalis showed a cumulative increase in CDPD, whereas E. faecium did not. CDPD and CPR were useful for measuring the dynamics of intestinal colonization with enterococcal clones. ..
- Galloway Peña J, Rice L, Murray B. Analysis of PBP5 of early U.S. isolates of Enterococcus faecium: sequence variation alone does not explain increasing ampicillin resistance over time. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011;55:3272-7 pubmed publisherRecent studies have shown that ampicillin resistance has increased steadily over the past 3 decades within U.S. Enterococcus faecium isolates...
- Gessner B. Worldwide variation in the incidence of Haemophilus influenzae type b meningitis and its association with ampicillin resistance. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2002;21:79-87 pubmed..In contrast, antibiotic use may contribute to the observed differences in incidence. ..
- Klare I, Konstabel C, Mueller Bertling S, Werner G, Strommenger B, Kettlitz C, et al. Spread of ampicillin/vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium of the epidemic-virulent clonal complex-17 carrying the genes esp and hyl in German hospitals. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2005;24:815-25 pubmed..In conclusion, it is very important to monitor the occurrence of epidemic-virulent clonal complex-17 strains of E. faecium to prevent their spread in hospitals, especially if they are resistant to glycopeptides and linezolid. ..
- Rice L, Carias L, Hutton Thomas R, Sifaoui F, Gutmann L, Rudin S. Penicillin-binding protein 5 and expression of ampicillin resistance in Enterococcus faecium. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2001;45:1480-6 pubmed..transcripts varied between strains and did not always correlate with quantities of PBP5 or levels of ampicillin resistance. Since the psr of C68 is presumably nonfunctional due to an insertion of an extra nucleotide in the codon ..
- Torell E, Cars O, Hambraeus A. Ampicillin-resistant enterococci in a Swedish university hospital: nosocomial spread and risk factors for infection. Scand J Infect Dis. 2001;33:182-7 pubmed..Infection control measures focusing on protecting patients at high risk for ARE infections and further efforts to optimize antimicrobial use are proposed. ..
- Mroczkowska J, Barlow M. Fitness trade-offs in blaTEM evolution. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:2340-5 pubmed publisher..This observation, combined with the fact that penicillins are the most prevalent antimicrobials prescribed worldwide, may explain why bla(TEM-1) has persisted as the most frequently encountered bla(TEM) allele in bacterial populations. ..
- Hotomi M, Fujihara K, Billal D, Suzuki K, Nishimura T, Baba S, et al. Genetic characteristics and clonal dissemination of beta-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant Haemophilus influenzae strains isolated from the upper respiratory tract of patients in Japan. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007;51:3969-76 pubmed..influenzae among medical centers in Japan. The gBLNAR strains show a remarkable prevalence among H. influenzae isolates, with the prevalence increasing with time. This fact should be taken into account when treating URT infections. ..
- Fisher A, DeLisa M. Efficient isolation of soluble intracellular single-chain antibodies using the twin-arginine translocation machinery. J Mol Biol. 2009;385:299-311 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal that the Tat quality control mechanism can be harnessed for molecular evolution of scFvs that are soluble in the reducing cytoplasm of E. coli. ..
- Glasgow T, Young P, Wallin J, Kwok C, Stoddard G, Firth S, et al. Association of intrapartum antibiotic exposure and late-onset serious bacterial infections in infants. Pediatrics. 2005;116:696-702 pubmed..Bacteria that were isolated from infected infants who had been exposed to IPA were more likely to exhibit ampicillin resistance (adjusted OR: 5.7; 95% CI: 2.3-14...
- Werner G, Fleige C, Fessler A, Timke M, Kostrzewa M, Zischka M, et al. Improved identification including MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry analysis of group D streptococci from bovine mastitis and subsequent molecular characterization of corresponding Enterococcus faecalis and Enterococcus faecium isolates. Vet Microbiol. 2012;160:162-9 pubmed publisher..One of the 37 E. faecium strains showed properties of hospital-associated E. faecium strains (ampicillin resistance, IS16-positive; MLST CC17).
- Wolfs T, van Woensel J, Muskiet F. [High percentage of antibiotic resistance in Shigella infections in children in Curaçao]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 1996;140:2510-3 pubmed..A high percentage of shigellae isolated on Curaçao was resistant to the most frequently used antibiotics ampicillin and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole. ..
- Acke E, McGill K, Quinn T, Jones B, Fanning S, Whyte P. Antimicrobial resistance profiles and mechanisms of resistance in Campylobacter jejuni isolates from pets. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2009;6:705-10 pubmed publisher..jejuni infections in humans. ..
- Yoshida N, Takebe K. Quantitative detection of asbestos fiber in gravelly sand using elastic body-exposure method. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;33:827-33 pubmed..Thus, the number of transformants correlated with that of 6-9 microm crocidolite aggregates...
- Schmid C, Arndt C, Reifferscheid G. Mutagenicity test system based on a reporter gene assay for short-term detection of mutagens (MutaGen assay). Mutat Res. 2003;535:55-72 pubmed..mutation assay system detecting reversions of base substitutions and frameshifts in tetracycline (tet) and ampicillin resistance genes located on low copy plasmids is described...
- Leevy W, Donato G, Ferdani R, Goldman W, Schlesinger P, Gokel G. Synthetic hydraphile channels of appropriate length kill Escherichia coli. J Am Chem Soc. 2002;124:9022-3 pubmed..It is speculated that hydraphiles insert into the bilayer and disrupt the cell's osmotic balance, leading to cell death. ..
- Levine E, Ghai V, Barton J, Strom C. Intrapartum antibiotic prophylaxis increases the incidence of gram-negative neonatal sepsis. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 1999;7:210-3 pubmed..These data provide compelling evidence that the policy of providing ampicillin chemoprophylaxis in selected patients needs to be reconsidered. ..
- Nishimura M, Kumamoto Y, Hirose T, Sakai S, Tsukamoto T, Deguchi K. [Study on auxotype and serotype of Neisseria gonorrhoeae]. Kansenshogaku Zasshi. 1990;64:1385-93 pubmed..4. With respect to the relation between auxotypes and sensitivity to AMPC, the AHU- strains were more sensitive than proto or Pro-. ..
- Lietzau S, Raum E, von Baum H, Marre R, Brenner H. Clustering of antibiotic resistance of E. coli in couples: suggestion for a major role of conjugal transmission. BMC Infect Dis. 2006;6:119 pubmed..Prevalences of ampicillin resistance were 15.7% and 19.4% for women and men, respectively...
- Shen H, Poirier M, Allen M, North J, Lal R, Widom J, et al. The activation-induced cytidine deaminase (AID) efficiently targets DNA in nucleosomes but only during transcription. J Exp Med. 2009;206:1057-71 pubmed publisher..supercoiled AID target plasmid to determine where around the positioned nucleosomes (in the vicinity of an ampicillin resistance gene) cytidine deaminations occur in the absence or presence of transcription...
- Chatterjee P. Retrofitting BACs and PACs with LoxP transposons to generate nested deletions. Methods Mol Biol. 2004;255:231-41 pubmed
- Bartzatt R, Malesa C. Analysis of an ampicillin propyl ester prodrug which inhibits the growth of Escherichia coli. Biotechnol Appl Biochem. 2002;36:89-93 pubmed..coli strain (designated PKK). Synthesis of this prodrug utilizing a diazoalkane was highly efficient, with no undesirable by-products being formed. ..
- Dixon R, Abdel Rahman E. Outer membrane protein analysis of ampicillin-resistant isolates of Haemophilus influenzae from Saudi Arabia. J Infect Public Health. 2008;1:45-50 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrates the groupings of H. influenzae strains by OMP profile analysis which did not correlate with the beta-lactamase production ability, BLNAI isolates, geographical origin or biotype. ..
- Yamamoto K, Ubukata K. [Beta-lactamase negative ampicillin-resistant Haemophilus influenzae(BLNAR)]. Nihon Rinsho. 2001;59:688-93 pubmed..These data indicate that mutations in the ftsI gene are the most important for development of resistance to beta-lactams in BLNAR. ..
- Harthug S, Digranes A, Hope O, Kristiansen B, Allum A, Langeland N. Vancomycin resistance emerging in a clonal outbreak caused by ampicillin-resistant Enterococcus faecium. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2000;6:19-28 pubmed..5 in December 1996. The first nosocomial outbreak caused by ARE was observed in 1995 in Norway and is still ongoing. One year after the onset, VRE occurred in wards which had a relatively high consumption of vancomycin. ..
- Macilwain C. Stray seeds had antibiotic-resistance genes. Nature. 2005;434:548 pubmed
- Wang P, Wei X, Li Y, Li J. Influences of intestinal ligation on bacterial translocation and inflammatory response in rats with hemorrhagic shock: implications for damage control surgery. J Invest Surg. 2008;21:244-54 pubmed publisher..The intestinal BT and immunoinflammatory factors may act through or mainly through lymph route. ..
- Casanova E, Lemberger T, Fehsenfeld S, Greiner E, Stewart A, Schutz G. Rapid localization of a gene within BACs and PACs. Biotechniques. 2002;32:240-2 pubmed
- Lulitanond A, Chanawong A, Pienthaweechai K, Sribenjalux P, Tavichakorntrakool R, Wilailuckana C, et al. Prevalence of ?-lactamase-negative ampicillin-resistant haemophilus influenzae isolated from patients of a teaching hospital in Thailand. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2012;65:122-5 pubmed..6%, 94.3%, 80.7%, 68.2%, 50.0%, and 44.3% were susceptible to CXM, CLR, CHL, TET, AMP, and SXT, respectively. The ?-lactamase-production rate of H. influenzae isolates was 40.9%, and the prevalence of BLNAR was 18.2%. ..
- Nicolas P, Cavallo J, Fabre R, Martet G. [Standardization of the Neisseria meningitidis antibiogram. Detection of strains relatively resistant to penicillin]. Bull World Health Organ. 1998;76:393-400 pubmed..Based on our results and literature data on pharmacokinetics, we propose critical concentrations for these various antibiotics as well as critical diameters for chloramphenicol and rifampicin discs. ..