Genomes and Genes
beta lactam resistance
Summary: Nonsusceptibility of bacteria to the action of the beta-lactam antibiotics. Mechanisms responsible for beta-lactam resistance may be degradation of antibiotics by BETA-LACTAMASES, failure of antibiotics to penetrate, or low-affinity binding of antibiotics to targets.
- Park Y, Choi J, Jung S, Park K, Lee H, Jung D, et al. Two distinct clones of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Korean hospitals. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2009;64:389-95 pubmed publisher..The distribution of these main carbapenem-resistant A. baumannii clones did not relate to locality, indicating that they are widespread in Korean hospitals. In addition, we found new types of PER beta-lactamases, PER-6. ..
- Walsh T. Clinically significant carbapenemases: an update. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2008;21:367-71 pubmed publisher..aeruginosa. Carbapenem resistance continues to increase both in number and into new species/strain types, but our therapeutic options remain woefully inadequate - a dilemma that will not improve in the foreseeable future. ..
- Stoeva T, Higgins P, Bojkova K, Seifert H. Clonal spread of carbapenem-resistant OXA-23-positive Acinetobacter baumannii in a Bulgarian university hospital. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2008;14:723-7 pubmed publisher..The isolates belonged to two different clonal groups, indicating a sustained hospital outbreak. This study demonstrates both the epidemic potential of carbapenem-resistant A. baumannii and its longevity in the hospital environment. ..
- Moland E, Hanson N, Black J, Hossain A, Song W, Thomson K. Prevalence of newer beta-lactamases in gram-negative clinical isolates collected in the United States from 2001 to 2002. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:3318-24 pubmed..In conclusion, organisms producing ESBLs and transferable AmpC beta-lactamases were widespread. Clinical laboratories must be able to detect important beta-lactamases to ensure optimal patient care and infection control. ..
- Yan J, Hsueh P, Lu J, Chang F, Ko W, Wu J. Characterization of acquired beta-lactamases and their genetic support in multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates in Taiwan: the prevalence of unusual integrons. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006;58:530-6 pubmed..aeruginosa isolates in Taiwan. The spread of bla(VIM-2)-related genes by horizontal transfer might have occurred. ..
- Stapleton P, Shah S, Ehlert K, Hara Y, Taylor P. The beta-lactam-resistance modifier (-)-epicatechin gallate alters the architecture of the cell wall of Staphylococcus aureus. Microbiology. 2007;153:2093-103 pubmed..Thus, ECg-mediated alterations to the physical nature of the bilayer will elicit structural changes to WTA that result in modulation of the cell-surface properties necessary to maintain the beta-lactam-resistant phenotype. ..
- Luzzaro F, Mezzatesta M, Mugnaioli C, Perilli M, Stefani S, Amicosante G, et al. Trends in production of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases among enterobacteria of medical interest: report of the second Italian nationwide survey. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:1659-64 pubmed..The appearance of ESBL-positive enterobacteria in the community makes it mandatory that family physicians learn how to treat these pathogens. ..
- Lavollay M, Mamlouk K, Frank T, Akpabie A, Burghoffer B, Ben Redjeb S, et al. Clonal dissemination of a CTX-M-15 beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli strain in the Paris area, Tunis, and Bangui. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006;50:2433-8 pubmed..coli clone with a strong propensity for dissemination. ..
- Naas T, Bogaerts P, Bauraing C, Degheldre Y, Glupczynski Y, Nordmann P. Emergence of PER and VEB extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in Acinetobacter baumannii in Belgium. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006;58:178-82 pubmed..Both genes were chromosomally encoded. This work illustrates the inter-country spread of VEB-1-producing A. baumannii isolates as well as the emergence of PER-1-producing A. baumannii strains in Belgium. ..
- Oteo J, Navarro C, Cercenado E, Delgado Iribarren A, Wilhelmi I, Orden B, et al. Spread of Escherichia coli strains with high-level cefotaxime and ceftazidime resistance between the community, long-term care facilities, and hospital institutions. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:2359-66 pubmed..Epidemic or occasional isolates of cefotaxime- and ceftazidime-resistant E. coli can spread between distinct health facilities including hospitals, community health centers, and long-term care centers. ..
- Carattoli A, Miriagou V, Bertini A, Loli A, Colinon C, Villa L, et al. Replicon typing of plasmids encoding resistance to newer beta-lactams. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1145-8 pubmed
- Novais A, Canton R, Valverde A, Machado E, Galan J, Peixe L, et al. Dissemination and persistence of blaCTX-M-9 are linked to class 1 integrons containing CR1 associated with defective transposon derivatives from Tn402 located in early antibiotic resistance plasmids of IncHI2, IncP1-alpha, and IncFI groups. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006;50:2741-50 pubmed..The presence of bla(CTX-M-9) on broad-host-range IncP-1alpha plasmids might contribute to its dissemination to hosts that were not members of the family Enterobacteriaceae. ..
- Poirel L, Nordmann P. Carbapenem resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii: mechanisms and epidemiology. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2006;12:826-36 pubmed..baumannii may also result from porin or penicillin-binding protein modifications. Several porins, including the 33-kDa CarO protein, that constitute a pore channel for influx of carbapenems, might be involved in carbapenem resistance. ..
- Harris A, McGregor J, Johnson J, Strauss S, Moore A, Standiford H, et al. Risk factors for colonization with extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing bacteria and intensive care unit admission. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1144-9 pubmed..15; 95% CI 1.04-1.27). Coexisting conditions and previous antimicrobial drug exposure are thus predictive of colonization, and a large percentage of these patients have subsequent positive clinical cultures for ESBL-producing bacteria. ..
- Naas T, Coignard B, Carbonne A, Blanckaert K, Bajolet O, Bernet C, et al. VEB-1 Extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Acinetobacter baumannii, France. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1214-22 pubmed..The national alert enabled early control of new clusters, demonstrating the usefulness of early warning about antimicrobial drug resist. ..
- Dzierzanowska D, Kamińska W, Semczuk K, Borowiec D, Matysiak M, Szumała Kakol A, et al. Carriage of genes for various extended-spectrum beta-lactamases: a novel resistance strategy of Klebsiella pneumoniae in Poland. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2010;35:392-5 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae isolates by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) revealed a relatively high genetic diversity between isolates producing the same combination of enzymes. Clonally related strains were uncommon. ..
- Ehlers M, Veldsman C, Makgotlho E, Dove M, Hoosen A, Kock M. Detection of blaSHV, blaTEM and blaCTX-M antibiotic resistance genes in randomly selected bacterial pathogens from the Steve Biko Academic Hospital. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2009;56:191-6 pubmed publisher..8% in Denmark for similar pathogens. These research findings indicated that it is crucial to routinely monitor the prevalence of these resistance genes. ..
- Ahmad S, Al Juaid N, Alenzi F, Mattar E, Bakheet O. Prevalence, antibiotic susceptibility pattern and production of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases amongst clinical isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae at Armed Forces Hospital in Saudi Arabia. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2009;19:264-5 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae and a high rate of multidrug resistance. Continued infection control measures and prudent use of antimicrobial agents are essential in reducing the spread of multi-resistant ESBL-producing K. pneumoniae. ..
- Robledo I, Aquino E, Santé M, Santana J, Otero D, León C, et al. Detection of KPC in Acinetobacter spp. in Puerto Rico. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:1354-7 pubmed publisher..DNA sequencing of the bla(KPC) gene identified KPC-2, -3, and -4 and a novel variant, KPC-10. This is the first report of a KPC-type beta-lactamase identified in Acinetobacter species. ..
- Fankhauser C, Zingg W, Francois P, Dharan S, Schrenzel J, Pittet D, et al. Surveillance of extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae in a Swiss Tertiary Care Hospital. Swiss Med Wkly. 2009;139:747-51 pubmed publisher..Documented nosocomial ESBL-E transmission was low. ..
- Zhao S, Blickenstaff K, Glenn A, Ayers S, Friedman S, Abbott J, et al. beta-Lactam resistance in salmonella strains isolated from retail meats in the United States by the National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System between 2002 and 2006. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2009;75:7624-30 pubmed publisher
- Marcano D, Pasteran F, Rapoport M, Faccone D, Ugarte C, Salgado N, et al. First isolation of a VIM-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae from a seven-year-old child in Venezuela. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2008;2:241-4 pubmed
- Zong Z, Partridge S, Thomas L, Iredell J. Dominance of blaCTX-M within an Australian extended-spectrum beta-lactamase gene pool. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:4198-202 pubmed publisher..ESBL genes were present in diverse community isolates and in a variety of associated conjugative plasmids. ..
- Tam V, Ledesma K, Schilling A, Lim T, Yuan Z, Ghose R, et al. In vivo dynamics of carbapenem-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa selection after suboptimal dosing. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2009;64:427-33 pubmed publisher..Our data suggested that suboptimal meropenem exposures might facilitate in vivo selection of resistance in a heterogeneous P. aeruginosa population. ..
- Giraud Morin C, Fosse T. [Recent evolution and characterization of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase producing enterobacteria in the CHU of Nice (2005-2007)]. Pathol Biol (Paris). 2008;56:417-23 pubmed publisher..Caracterization of E-ESBL+ is essential to better understand their mode of dissemination, monitor the emergence of new enzymes and adapt the efforts against BMR cross transmission. ..
- Samuelsen O, Buarø L, Giske C, Simonsen G, Aasnaes B, Sundsfjord A. Evaluation of phenotypic tests for the detection of metallo-beta-lactamase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a low prevalence country. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2008;61:827-30 pubmed publisher..Including ceftazidime resistance to the MBL-screening criteria would significantly improve the performance of the MBL Etest and IPM-EDTA disc test. ..
- Saner F, Canbay A, Gerken G, Broelsch C. [Collateral damage of cephalosporins and quinolones and possibilities for control]. Med Klin (Munich). 2009;104:114-8 pubmed publisher..To avoid the occurrence of multidrug-resistant microorganisms, a strict indication and time-limited use (e.g., 1 week) of antibiotics are required, as already established in the guidelines for infection. ..
- Zhao W, Hu Z. Beta-lactamases identified in clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Crit Rev Microbiol. 2010;36:245-58 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the beta-lactamases identified in clinical isolates of P. aeruginosa, with a particular focus on AmpC-type beta-lactamases, extended-spectrum beta-lactamases, and carbapenemases. ..
- Roh K, Kim S, Kim C, Yum J, Kim M, Yong D, et al. New cfiA variant and novel insertion sequence elements in carbapenem-resistant Bacteroides fragilis isolates from Korea. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010;66:343-8 pubmed publisher..The transposase, terminal inverted repeat sequence, and target site duplication sequence of the 2 novel IS elements were unique. This study reconfirmed the correlation between ISs and carbapenem resistance in B. fragilis. ..
- Rodríguez Baño J, Picón E, Gijón P, Hernández J, Ruiz M, Peña C, et al. Community-onset bacteremia due to extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli: risk factors and prognosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:40-8 pubmed publisher..ESBLEC is an important cause of COBSI due to E. coli. Clinicians should consider adequate empirical therapy with coverage of these pathogens for patients with risk factors. ..
- Akpaka P, Swanston W, Ihemere H, Correa A, Torres J, Tafur J, et al. Emergence of KPC-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa in Trinidad and Tobago. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:2670-1 pubmed publisher..We now report KPC-2-producing P. aeruginosa in Trinidad and Tobago. Surveillance for similar strains is warranted, considering their wide geographic spread and known association with mobile genetic elements. ..
- Poeta P, Radhouani H, Goncalves A, Figueiredo N, Carvalho C, Rodrigues J, et al. Genetic characterization of antibiotic resistance in enteropathogenic Escherichia coli carrying extended-spectrum beta-lactamases recovered from diarrhoeic rabbits. Zoonoses Public Health. 2010;57:162-70 pubmed publisher..The detection of genes involved in the resistance to antibiotics of different families in a relatively high proportion of faecal E. coli isolates of rabbits is of great interest and could be considered a serious public health problem. ..
- Gusatti C, Ferreira A, Fuentefria D, Corção G. [Resistance to beta-lactams among Acinetobacter spp isolated from hospital sewage in southern Brazil]. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2009;42:183-7 pubmed..The profile obtained revealed the presence of multidrug-resistant strains and showed that resistance mechanisms such as the production of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases and efflux pumps may be present in these strains. ..
- Pérez I A, García C P, Poggi M H, Braun J S, Castillo V C, Roman J, et al. [Presence of metallo beta-lactamases in imipenem-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa]. Rev Med Chil. 2008;136:423-32 pubmed publisher..There was no concordance between phenotypic and genotypic MBL detecting methods. All the strains were also multiresistant. The presence of MBL was detected in 19% of imipenem resistant Psae strains. ..
- Rodríguez M, Ruiz del Castillo B, Rodríguez Mirones C, Romo M, Monteagudo I, Martinez Martinez L. [Molecular characterization of Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates in Cantabria, Spain, producing VIM-2 metallo-beta-lactamase]. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2010;28:99-103 pubmed publisher..In the clinical isolates studied, the presence of MbetaL VIM-2 sufficed to explain their resistance to carbapenems. ..
- Petrella S, Ziental Gelus N, Mayer C, Renard M, Jarlier V, Sougakoff W. Genetic and structural insights into the dissemination potential of the extremely broad-spectrum class A beta-lactamase KPC-2 identified in an Escherichia coli strain and an Enterobacter cloacae strain isolated from the same patient in France. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008;52:3725-36 pubmed publisher
- Ben Ami R, Rodríguez Baño J, Arslan H, Pitout J, Quentin C, Calbo E, et al. A multinational survey of risk factors for infection with extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing enterobacteriaceae in nonhospitalized patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:682-90 pubmed publisher..Novel approaches are required to adequately address issues such as empirical treatment for severe community-acquired infection and infection control. ..
- Mayoral G, Ferreyra M, Eden A, Gueudet P, Miquel C, Lecaillon E. [Evolution of third-generation cephalosporin resistance in Enterobacteriaceae from 2000 to 2008 in a Perpignan hospital]. Pathol Biol (Paris). 2010;58:7-10 pubmed publisher..The mesures to contain the spread of MRE strains remained inefficient because of outpatients circulation, multiresistant E. coli being community species. ..
- Raja S, Murali M, Devaraj S. Differential expression of ompC and ompF in multidrug-resistant Shigella dysenteriae and Shigella flexneri by aqueous extract of Aegle marmelos, altering its susceptibility toward beta-lactam antibiotics. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2008;61:321-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, AEAM influences susceptibility of beta-lactam-resistant Shigella toward beta-lactam antibiotics by altering porin channels. Hence, AEAM along with beta-lactam can be used for treatment of multidrug-resistant Shigella...
- Borjesson S, Dienues O, Jarnheimer P, Olsen B, Matussek A, Lindgren P. Quantification of genes encoding resistance to aminoglycosides, beta-lactams and tetracyclines in wastewater environments by real-time PCR. Int J Environ Health Res. 2009;19:219-30 pubmed publisher..The developed LUX real-time PCR assays were shown to be fast and reproducible tools for detection and quantification of the four genes encoding antibiotic resistance in wastewater. ..
- Kader A, Kamath K. Faecal carriage of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing bacteria in the community. East Mediterr Health J. 2009;15:1365-70 pubmed..3%) healthy persons and 29 (13.7%) outpatients. We conclude that the community could be a reservoir of these ESBL-producing bacteria and enzymes. ..
- Ahmed A, Shimamoto T. Emergence of a cefepime- and cefpirome-resistant Citrobacter freundii clinical isolate harbouring a novel chromosomally encoded AmpC beta-lactamase, CMY-37. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2008;32:256-61 pubmed publisher..Phylogenetic analysis suggested that CMY-37 is the origin of many plasmid-mediated AmpC beta-lactamases. This study highlights the emergence of cefepime and cefpirome resistance in C. freundii owing to a new type of AmpC beta-lactamase. ..
- Urban C, Bradford P, Tuckman M, Segal Maurer S, Wehbeh W, Grenner L, et al. Carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli harboring Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemase beta-lactamases associated with long-term care facilities. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:e127-30 pubmed publisher..The identification of these enzymes in patients staying in long-term care facilities should be of great concern to all components of health care systems. ..
- Shu J, Chia J, Kuo A, Su L, Wu T. A 7-year surveillance for ESBL-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae at a university hospital in Taiwan: the increase of CTX-M-15 in the ICU. Epidemiol Infect. 2010;138:253-63 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae. ..
- Hirsch E, Tam V. Detection and treatment options for Klebsiella pneumoniae carbapenemases (KPCs): an emerging cause of multidrug-resistant infection. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010;65:1119-25 pubmed publisher..Studies examining combination therapy and well-controlled clinical trials are needed to ascertain the optimal treatment of infections caused by KPC bacteria...
- Mokaddas E, Abdulla A, Shati S, Rotimi V. The technical aspects and clinical significance of detecting extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae at a tertiary-care hospital in Kuwait. J Chemother. 2008;20:445-51 pubmed
- Rizvi M, Fatima N, Rashid M, Shukla I, Malik A, Usman A, et al. Extended spectrum AmpC and metallo-beta-lactamases in Serratia and Citrobacter spp. in a disc approximation assay. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2009;3:177-86 pubmed..CPS may be advised due to the triple advantage of detection of all three types of beta-lactamases. ..
- Iregbu K, Anwaal U. Extended spectrum Beta-Lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae septicaemia outbreak in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit of a tertiary hospital in Nigeria. Afr J Med Med Sci. 2007;36:225-8 pubmed..pneumnoniae brought into the hospital by a neonate delivered and admitted from an external health institution. Sink and the incubator were also contaminated by the same strain. ..
- Réglier Poupet H, Naas T, Carrër A, Cady A, Adam J, Fortineau N, et al. Performance of chromID ESBL, a chromogenic medium for detection of Enterobacteriaceae producing extended-spectrum beta-lactamases. J Med Microbiol. 2008;57:310-5 pubmed publisher..Its chromogenic properties and its selectivity are particularly useful in specimens containing resident associated flora. ..
- Tamayo J, Orden B, Cacho J, Cuadros J, Gomez Garces J, Alos J. Activity of ertapenem and other antimicrobials against ESBL-producing enterobacteria isolated from urine in patients from Madrid. Rev Esp Quimioter. 2007;20:334-8 pubmed
- Dettenkofer M, Utzolino S, Luft D, Lemmen S. [Effectiveness and risks of isolation precautions in patients with MRSA and other multidrug-resistant bacteria]. Zentralbl Chir. 2010;135:124-8 pubmed publisher..Additional precautions, including single-room isolation, should be implemented critically if indicated...