Genomes and Genes
Summary: A process of complicated morphogenetic cell movements that reorganizes a bilayer embryo into one with three GERM LAYERS and specific orientation (dorsal/ventral; anterior/posterior). Gastrulation describes the germ layer development of a non-mammalian BLASTULA or that of a mammalian BLASTOCYST.
- Heer N, Miller P, Chanet S, Stoop N, Dunkel J, Martin A. Actomyosin-based tissue folding requires a multicellular myosin gradient. Development. 2017;144:1876-1886 pubmed publisher..As predicted by the model, experimental broadening of the myosin domain in vivo disrupts tissue curvature where myosin is uniform. Our data argue that apical contractility gradients are important for tissue folding. ..
- Johnson T, Moore K, Whisstock J, Warr C. Maternal Torso-Like Coordinates Tissue Folding During Drosophila Gastrulation. Genetics. 2017;206:1459-1468 pubmed publisherThe rapid and orderly folding of epithelial tissue during developmental processes such as gastrulation requires the precise coordination of changes in cell shape...
- Kobayashi T, Zhang H, Tang W, Irie N, Withey S, Klisch D, et al. Principles of early human development and germ cell program from conserved model systems. Nature. 2017;546:416-420 pubmed publisher..We use this model together with human and monkey in vitro models simulating peri-gastrulation development to show the conserved principles of epiblast development for competency for primordial germ cell ..
- Amiel A, Johnston H, Chock T, Dahlin P, Iglesias M, LAYDEN M, et al. A bipolar role of the transcription factor ERG for cnidarian germ layer formation and apical domain patterning. Dev Biol. 2017;430:346-361 pubmed publisher..we identified a member of the ETS family of transcription factors, Nverg that is bi-polarily expressed prior to gastrulation. We further describe the crucial role of NvERG for gastrulation, endomesoderm as well as apical domain ..
- Janssen R, Budd G. Investigation of endoderm marker-genes during gastrulation and gut-development in the velvet worm Euperipatoides kanangrensis. Dev Biol. 2017;427:155-164 pubmed publisherThe ancestral state of animal gastrulation and its bearing for our understanding of bilaterian evolution still is one of the most controversially discussed topics in the field of evolutionary and developmental biology...
- Simon C, Downes D, Gosden M, Telenius J, Higgs D, Hughes J, et al. Functional characterisation of cis-regulatory elements governing dynamic Eomes expression in the early mouse embryo. Development. 2017;144:1249-1260 pubmed publisher..Thus, diverse regulatory mechanisms govern activation of lineage specifying TFs during early development. ..
- Zhang X, Li S, Wang C, Tian H, Wang W, Ru S. Effects of monocrotophos pesticide on cholinergic and dopaminergic neurotransmitter systems during early development in the sea urchin Hemicentrotus pulcherrimus. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;328:46-53 pubmed publisher..High ChAT and AChE activity were observed at the gastrulation-completed stage and the two-armed pluteus stage, respectively, MCP inhibited ChAT activity and AChE activity/..