Summary: Wave-like oscillations of electric potential between parts of the brain recorded by EEG.
- Van Hal B, Rhodes S, Dunne B, Bossemeyer R. Low-cost EEG-based sleep detection. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2014;2014:4571-4 pubmed publisher..This device was able to predict and respond to the onset of drowsiness preceding stage 1 sleep allowing for earlier warnings with the result of fewer sleep-related accidents. ..
- Sanchez Vives M, Massimini M, Mattia M. Shaping the Default Activity Pattern of the Cortical Network. Neuron. 2017;94:993-1001 pubmed publisher..We propose that slow oscillations provide a robust unifying paradigm for the study of cortical function. ..
- Brodski Guerniero A, Paasch G, Wollstadt P, Özdemir I, Lizier J, Wibral M. Information-Theoretic Evidence for Predictive Coding in the Face-Processing System. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8273-8283 pubmed publisher..Using a novel, assumption-free approach, we find that face-related prior knowledge and the derived predictions are represented in low-frequency brain activity. ..
- Frauscher B, Bartolomei F, Kobayashi K, Cimbalnik J, van t Klooster M, Rampp S, et al. High-frequency oscillations: The state of clinical research. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1316-1329 pubmed publisher..Prospective multicenter trials are awaited to gather information over long recording periods in large patient samples. ..
- Ladenbauer J, Ladenbauer J, Külzow N, de Boor R, Avramova E, Grittner U, et al. Promoting Sleep Oscillations and Their Functional Coupling by Transcranial Stimulation Enhances Memory Consolidation in Mild Cognitive Impairment. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7111-7124 pubmed publisher..We provide first time evidence that slow oscillatory transcranial stimulation amplifies the functional cross-frequency coupling between memory-relevant brain oscillations and improves visual memory consolidation in patients with MCI. ..
- Kolijn L, Euser S, van den Bulk B, Huffmeijer R, van IJzendoorn M, Bakermans Kranenburg M. Which neural mechanisms mediate the effects of a parenting intervention program on parenting behavior: design of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Psychol. 2017;5:9 pubmed publisher..Dutch Trial Register: NTR5312 ; Date registered: January 3, 2017. ..
- Jiruska P, Alvarado Rojas C, Schevon C, Staba R, Stacey W, Wendling F, et al. Update on the mechanisms and roles of high-frequency oscillations in seizures and epileptic disorders. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1330-1339 pubmed publisher..Detailed understanding of the pathophysiology of HFOs will propel better HFO classification and increase their information yield for clinical and diagnostic purposes. ..
- Franz E, Fu Y, Moore M, Winter T, Mayne T, Debnath R, et al. Fooling the brain by mirroring the hand: Brain correlates of the perceptual capture of limb ownership. Restor Neurol Neurosci. 2016;34:721-32 pubmed publisher..This is an initial step toward eventual development of therapeutic targets for interventions including brain computer interfaces (BCIs) aimed at ameliorating the negative effects associated with impaired or missing limbs. ..
- Zijlmans M, Worrell G, Dümpelmann M, Stieglitz T, Barborica A, Heers M, et al. How to record high-frequency oscillations in epilepsy: A practical guideline. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1305-1315 pubmed publisher..This review provides interested researchers and clinicians with a review of current state of the art of recording and identification and potential challenges to clinical translation. ..
- Hernández González S, Andreu Sánchez C, Martín Pascual M, Gruart A, Delgado García J. A Cognition-Related Neural Oscillation Pattern, Generated in the Prelimbic Cortex, Can Control Operant Learning in Rats. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5923-5935 pubmed publisher..Our findings show that the prelimbic cortex can generate oscillatory patterns that rats can use to control their environment for achieving specific goals. ..
- Wu H, Wang Z, Ming W, Wang S, Ding M. [Monitoring time of interictal epileptiform discharges by long-term video EEG in patients with epilepsy]. Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban. 2017;46:30-35 pubmed..Patients with refractory epilepsy and with abnormal lesions on MRI should record IED more frequently. ..
- Byrne J, Hughes M, Rossell S, Johnson S, Murray G. Time of Day Differences in Neural Reward Functioning in Healthy Young Men. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8895-8900 pubmed publisher..00 h) times. These data also have methodological significance, suggesting that there may be a time of day influence, which should be accounted for in neural reward studies. ..
- Bocchio M, Nabavi S, Capogna M. Synaptic Plasticity, Engrams, and Network Oscillations in Amygdala Circuits for Storage and Retrieval of Emotional Memories. Neuron. 2017;94:731-743 pubmed publisher..Here, we review data on synaptic plasticity, engrams, and network oscillations in the rodent BLA. We explore mechanisms through which synaptic plasticity, engrams, and long-range synchrony might be interconnected. ..
- Gandhi V, Prasad G, Coyle D, Behera L, McGinnity T. Quantum neural network-based EEG filtering for a brain-computer interface. IEEE Trans Neural Netw Learn Syst. 2014;25:278-88 pubmed publisher..It is shown that the subject-specific RQNN EEG filtering significantly improves brain-computer interface performance compared to using only the raw EEG or Savitzky-Golay filtered EEG across multiple sessions. ..
- Zhang R, Ren Y, Liu C, Xu N, Li X, Cong F, et al. Temporal-spatial characteristics of phase-amplitude coupling in electrocorticogram for human temporal lobe epilepsy. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:1707-1718 pubmed publisher..Phase-amplitude coupling can provide meaningful reference for accurate resection of epileptogenic focus and provide insight into the underlying neural dynamics of the epileptic seizure in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy. ..
- Valero M, Averkin R, Fernández Lamo I, Aguilar J, Lopez Pigozzi D, Brotons Mas J, et al. Mechanisms for Selective Single-Cell Reactivation during Offline Sharp-Wave Ripples and Their Distortion by Fast Ripples. Neuron. 2017;94:1234-1247.e7 pubmed publisher..We propose that cell-specific synaptic inputs govern firing selectivity of CA1 pyramidal cells during sharp-wave ripples. ..
- Lifshitz M, Thibault R, Roth R, Raz A. Source Localization of Brain States Associated with Canonical Neuroimaging Postures. J Cogn Neurosci. 2017;29:1292-1301 pubmed publisher..More broadly, our findings indicate that generalizing results-from supine neuroimaging measurements to erect positions typical of ecological human behavior-would call for considering the influence that posture wields on brain dynamics. ..
- Bells S, Lefebvre J, Prescott S, Dockstader C, Bouffet E, Skocic J, et al. Changes in White Matter Microstructure Impact Cognition by Disrupting the Ability of Neural Assemblies to Synchronize. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8227-8238 pubmed publisher..Together, our human imaging data and computer simulations show a fundamental connection between WM microstructure and neural synchronization that is critical for cognitive processing. ..
- Vanni M, Chan A, Balbi M, Silasi G, Murphy T. Mesoscale Mapping of Mouse Cortex Reveals Frequency-Dependent Cycling between Distinct Macroscale Functional Modules. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7513-7533 pubmed publisher..This work helps define the rules for how different cortical areas interact in time and space. We provide a framework necessary for future studies that explore functional reorganization of brain circuits in disease models. ..
- ..We conclude with a discussion of a still-debated question: do older adults simply need less sleep, or rather, are they unable to generate the sleep that they still need? ..
- Funk C, Peelman K, Bellesi M, Marshall W, Cirelli C, Tononi G. Role of Somatostatin-Positive Cortical Interneurons in the Generation of Sleep Slow Waves. J Neurosci. 2017;37:9132-9148 pubmed publisher..Using chemogenetic and optogenetic approaches, we provide the first evidence that links a specific class of inhibitory interneurons-somatostatin-positive cells-to the generation of slow waves during NREM sleep in freely moving mice. ..
- Yuan H, He B. Brain-computer interfaces using sensorimotor rhythms: current state and future perspectives. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2014;61:1425-35 pubmed publisher..The functional components of SMR-based BCI, together with its current clinical applications, are reviewed. Finally, limitations of SMR-BCIs and future outlooks are also discussed. ..
- López Caneda E, Rodríguez Holguín S, Correas A, Carbia C, González Villar A, Maestu F, et al. Binge drinking affects brain oscillations linked to motor inhibition and execution. J Psychopharmacol. 2017;31:873-882 pubmed publisher..Finally, these results are the first to evidence that oscillatory brain activity may be a sensitive indicator of underlying brain anomalies in young BDs, which could complement standard event-related potential measures. ..
- Kuhn T, Helias M. Locking of correlated neural activity to ongoing oscillations. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005534 pubmed publisher..Our analytical results open the question of time-modulated synchronous activity to a quantitative analysis. ..
- Menyhárt A, Zölei Szénási D, Puskás T, Makra P, Bari F, Farkas E. Age or ischemia uncouples the blood flow response, tissue acidosis, and direct current potential signature of spreading depolarization in the rat brain. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;313:H328-H337 pubmed publisher..This coupling becomes dysfunctional with age or under ischemia, and tissue acidosis lasts disproportionally longer in the aged cortex, making the tissue increasingly more vulnerable. ..
- Maheshwari A, Norby F, Soliman E, Koene R, Rooney M, O Neal W, et al. Abnormal P-Wave Axis and Ischemic Stroke: The ARIC Study (Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities). Stroke. 2017;48:2060-2065 pubmed publisher..This association seems to be stronger for cardioembolic strokes. Collectively, our findings suggest that alterations in atrial electric activation may predispose to cardiac thromboembolism independent of atrial fibrillation. ..
- Khemka S, Barnes G, Dolan R, Bach D. Dissecting the Function of Hippocampal Oscillations in a Human Anxiety Model. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6869-6876 pubmed publisher..This blends into recent attempts to elucidate the role of brain synchronization in defensive responses to threat. ..
- Takahashi T, Yamanishi T, Nobukawa S, Kasakawa S, Yoshimura Y, Hiraishi H, et al. Band-specific atypical functional connectivity pattern in childhood autism spectrum disorder. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:1457-1465 pubmed publisher..Graph theory with PLI applied to magnetoencephalographic signals might be a useful approach for characterizing the frequency-specific neurophysiological bases of ASD. ..
- He J, Tse G, Korantzopoulos P, Letsas K, Ali Hasan Al Saegh S, Kamel H, et al. P-Wave Indices and Risk of Ischemic Stroke: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Stroke. 2017;48:2066-2072 pubmed publisher..10; 95% CI, 1.04-1.17). P-wave terminal force in lead V1, P-wave duration, and maximum P-wave area are useful electrocardiographic markers that can be used to stratify the risk of incident ischemic stroke. ..
- van t Klooster M, van Klink N, Zweiphenning W, Leijten F, Zelmann R, Ferrier C, et al. Tailoring epilepsy surgery with fast ripples in the intraoperative electrocorticogram. Ann Neurol. 2017;81:664-676 pubmed publisher..These findings hold for different tailoring approaches. FRs can thus be used for tailoring epilepsy surgery with repeated intraoperative ECoG measurements. Ann Neurol 2017;81:664-676. ..
- Al Barrak L, Kanjo E, Younis E. NeuroPlace: Categorizing urban places according to mental states. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183890 pubmed publisher..We present and discuss the challenges in making our initial prototype more practical, robust, and reliable as part of our on-going research. In addition, we present some enabling applications using the proposed architecture. ..
- Keune P, Hansen S, Weber E, Zapf F, Habich J, Muenssinger J, et al. Exploring resting-state EEG brain oscillatory activity in relation to cognitive functioning in multiple sclerosis. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:1746-1754 pubmed publisher..Resting-state EEG recordings can be obtained during the routine clinical process. The examined resting-state measures may represent feasible monitoring parameters in MS. This notion should be explored in future intervention studies. ..
- Wang S, So N, Jin B, Wang I, Bulacio J, Enatsu R, et al. Interictal ripples nested in epileptiform discharge help to identify the epileptogenic zone in neocortical epilepsy. Clin Neurophysiol. 2017;128:945-951 pubmed publisher..Type I ripples could assist in localizing the epileptogenic zone in neocortical epilepsy. Type I and fast ripples both may be pathological high-frequency oscillations. ..
- Einstein M, Polack P, Tran D, GOLSHANI P. Visually Evoked 3-5 Hz Membrane Potential Oscillations Reduce the Responsiveness of Visual Cortex Neurons in Awake Behaving Mice. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5084-5098 pubmed publisher..These findings show, for the first time, that low-frequency Vm oscillations can significantly modulate sensory signal processing, even in awake active animals. ..
- Levesque M, Herrington R, Leclerc L, Rogawski M, Avoli M. Allopregnanolone decreases interictal spiking and fast ripples in an animal model of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Neuropharmacology. 2017;121:12-19 pubmed publisher..Recordings after termination of allopregnanolone treatment will be however required to establish whether allopregnanolone exerts disease-modifying properties. ..
- ter Huurne N, Lozano Soldevilla D, Onnink M, Kan C, Buitelaar J, Jensen O. Diminished modulation of preparatory sensorimotor mu rhythm predicts attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder severity. Psychol Med. 2017;47:1947-1956 pubmed publisher..This could explain disruptive motor activity in ADHD. These results provide further evidence that impaired modulation of Î± band oscillations is involved in the pathogenesis of ADHD. ..
- Dimitriadis S, Sun Y, Laskaris N, Thakor N, Bezerianos A. Revealing Cross-Frequency Causal Interactions During a Mental Arithmetic Task Through Symbolic Transfer Entropy: A Novel Vector-Quantization Approach. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2016;24:1017-1028 pubmed..and posterior brain regions in the form of cross-frequency coupling between theta ( ?) and high-alpha ( ?2) brain waves. A novel method for deriving causal interactions between brain waves of different frequencies is essential for ..
- ten Oever S, Schroeder C, Poeppel D, van Atteveldt N, Mehta A, Mégevand P, et al. Low-Frequency Cortical Oscillations Entrain to Subthreshold Rhythmic Auditory Stimuli. J Neurosci. 2017;37:4903-4912 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that phase alignment is a general mechanism of the brain to process rhythmic structure and can occur without the perceptual detection of this temporal structure. ..
- Song I, Orosz I, Chervoneva I, Waldman Z, Fried I, Wu C, et al. Bimodal coupling of ripples and slower oscillations during sleep in patients with focal epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1972-1984 pubmed publisher..Phase-event amplitude coupling between ripples and sleep oscillations may be useful to distinguish pathologic and physiologic events in patients with frontal and parietal SOZ. ..
- McAssey M, Hsieh F, Smith A. Coupling among electroencephalogram gamma signals on a short time scale. Comput Intell Neurosci. 2010;: pubmed publisher..We then focus on gamma signals recorded in two regions of the rat hippocampus. Our results indicate that this may be a useful method for mapping coupling patterns among signals in EEG datasets. ..