Genomes and Genes
Summary: The electrical properties, characteristics of living organisms, and the processes of organisms or their parts that are involved in generating and responding to electricity.
- Baillet S. Magnetoencephalography for brain electrophysiology and imaging. Nat Neurosci. 2017;20:327-339 pubmed publisher..We expect MEG to play an increasing and pivotal role in the elucidation of these grand mechanistic principles of cognitive, systems and clinical neuroscience. ..
- Zheng C, Zhong M, Qi Z, Shen F, Zhao Q, Wu L, et al. Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors Relax Mouse Aorta Partly through Their Inhibitory Action on L-Type Ca2+ Channels. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017;363:211-220 pubmed publisher..Taken together, HDAC inhibitors SAHA and TSA can acutely relax blood vessels via their inhibitory action on L-type Ca2+ channels and via another L-type Ca2+ channel-independent mechanism. ..
- Miyagi T, Higa K, Kido M, Ishihara S, Nakachi R, Suwazono S. The Sequential Ultrasonographic, Electrophysiological and MRI Findings in a Patient with the Pharyngeal-cervical-brachial Variant of Guillain-Barré Syndrome from the Acute Phase to the Chronic Phase. Intern Med. 2017;56:1225-1230 pubmed publisher..MRN did not show any apparent diagnostic abnormalities. After early treatment, the patient was discharged and returned home. ..
- Fusi F, Trezza A, Spiga O, Sgaragli G, Bova S. Cav1.2 channel current block by the PKA inhibitor H-89 in rat tail artery myocytes via a PKA-independent mechanism: Electrophysiological, functional, and molecular docking studies. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;140:53-63 pubmed publisher..2 and, consequently, the contractile function through a PKA-independent mechanism. Therefore, caution is recommended when interpreting experiments where H-89 is used to inhibit vascular smooth muscle PKA. ..
- Kaufmann J, Krause B, Grimm C, Ritter E, Hegemann P, Bartl F. Proton transfer reactions in the red light-activatable channelrhodopsin variant ReaChR and their relevance for its function. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:14205-14216 pubmed publisher..This suggests that the peak current is formed by 15-anti species, whereas 15-syn species contribute only to the stationary current. ..
- Kamins J, Bigler E, Covassin T, Henry L, Kemp S, Leddy J, et al. What is the physiological time to recovery after concussion? A systematic review. Br J Sports Med. 2017;51:935-940 pubmed publisher..Future studies need to use generalisable populations, longitudinal designs following to physiological and clinical recovery and careful correlation of neurobiological modalities with clinical measures. ..
- Grimm C, Vierock J, Hegemann P, Wietek J. Whole-cell Patch-clamp Recordings for Electrophysiological Determination of Ion Selectivity in Channelrhodopsins. J Vis Exp. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Finally, electrophysiological data are analyzed with respect to theoretical considerations of chloride conduction. ..
- Kaese S, Larbig R, Rohrbeck M, Frommeyer G, Dechering D, Olligs J, et al. Electrophysiological alterations in a murine model of chronic coxsackievirus B3 myocarditis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180029 pubmed publisher..These findings may suggest that other mechanisms such as chronic myocardial inflammation or fibrosis may account for arrhythmias observed in patients with chronic enteroviral myocarditis. ..
- Hosseini Zare M, Gu F, Abdulla A, Powell S, Å½iburkus J. Effects of experimental traumatic brain injury and impaired glutamate transport on cortical spreading depression. Exp Neurol. 2017;295:155-161 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal new information about CSD properties in these pathological conditions and demonstrate an important role of GLT-1 in regulation of CSD. ..
- Egbe A, Connolly H, Khan A, Niaz T, Said S, Dearani J, et al. Outcomes in adult Fontan patients with atrial tachyarrhythmias. Am Heart J. 2017;186:12-20 pubmed publisher..Atrial tachyarrhythmias are more likely to recur in patients with a longer history of the arrhythmia and are associated with more adverse events. Early referral to a specialty center for these interventions should be considered. ..
- Koike B, Farias K, Billwiller F, Almeida Filho D, Libourel P, Tiran Cappello A, et al. Electrophysiological Evidence That the Retrosplenial Cortex Displays a Strong and Specific Activation Phased with Hippocampal Theta during Paradoxical (REM) Sleep. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8003-8013 pubmed publisher..Further, RSC neurons are firing in phase with the hippocampal theta rhythm. These data indicate that the RSC is very active during PS and could play a key role in memory consolidation taking place during this state. ..
- Lucini T, Ricardo Panizzi A. Probing Behavior of Dichelops furcatus (F.) (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae) on Wheat Plants Characterized by Electropenetrography (EPG) and Histological Studies. J Insect Sci. 2017;17: pubmed publisher..With this fundamental knowledge in hand, future studies can use EPG to develop novel pest management solutions. ..
- Williams S, Boksa P. Gamma oscillations and schizophrenia. J Psychiatry Neurosci. 2010;35:75-7 pubmed
- Macqueen G. Neuroimaging and electrophysiology in predicting treatment responsiveness in depression: bridging the lab-to-clinic divide?. Can J Psychiatry. 2013;58:497-8 pubmed
- Ford L, Crossley M, Vadukul D, Kemenes G, Serpell L. Structure-dependent effects of amyloid-? on long-term memory in Lymnaea stagnalis. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:1236-1246 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that oligomers are the key toxic A?1-42 structures, which likely affect LTM through synaptic plasticity pathways, and that A? 1-42 and A? 25-35 cannot be used as interchangeable peptides. ..
- Hübel N, Hosseini Zare M, Ziburkus J, Ullah G. The role of glutamate in neuronal ion homeostasis: A case study of spreading depolarization. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005804 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, we claim that our approach can be used as a future guide to investigate the role of glutamate, ion concentrations, and dynamics cell volume in other brain pathologies and normal brain function...
- Lee D, Prindle A, Liu J, Süel G. SnapShot: Electrochemical Communication in Biofilms. Cell. 2017;170:214-214.e1 pubmed publisher..These recent works are defining the emerging field of bacterial biofilm electrophysiology. To view this SnapShot, open or download the PDF. ..
- Sebe J, Cho S, SHEETS L, Rutherford M, von Gersdorff H, Raible D. Ca2+-Permeable AMPARs Mediate Glutamatergic Transmission and Excitotoxic Damage at the Hair Cell Ribbon Synapse. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6162-6175 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that CP-AMPARs mediate transmission at this first-order sensory synapse and that limiting Ca2+ accumulation in the terminal may protect against hearing loss. ..
- Greiter W, Firzlaff U. Representation of three-dimensional space in the auditory cortex of the echolocating bat P. discolor. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182461 pubmed publisher..Due to their spatial directionality and selectivity to specific echo delays representing target distance, combination sensitive cortical neurons are suited to encode three-dimensional spatial information. ..
- Hofmann V, Chacron M. Differential receptive field organizations give rise to nearly identical neural correlations across three parallel sensory maps in weakly electric fish. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005716 pubmed publisher..Our results show that RF center overlap alone does not determine correlations which has important implications for understanding how RF structure influences correlated neural activity. ..
- Kepchia D, Sherman B, Haddad R, Luetje C. Mammalian odorant receptor tuning breadth persists across distinct odorant panels. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185329 pubmed publisher..These results support the idea that variation in tuning breadth among these three ORs is not an artifact of the screening protocol, but is an intrinsic property of the receptors. ..
- Trost P, Picco C, Scholz Starke J, Festa M, Lagostena L, Costa A, et al. Electron current recordings in living cells. Biophys Chem. 2017;229:57-61 pubmed publisher..Here, we present the various electrophysiological approaches that have allowed recordings of electron currents and highlight the future potential of such experiments. ..
- Tarvin R, Borghese C, Sachs W, Santos J, Lu Y, O Connell L, et al. Interacting amino acid replacements allow poison frogs to evolve epibatidine resistance. Science. 2017;357:1261-1266 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate how resistance to agonist toxins can evolve and that such genetic changes propel organisms toward an adaptive peak of chemical defense. ..
- Lall V, Bruce G, Voytenko L, Drinkhill M, Wellershaus K, Willecke K, et al. Physiologic regulation of heart rate and blood pressure involves connexin 36-containing gap junctions. FASEB J. 2017;31:3966-3977 pubmed publisher..Lall, V. K., Bruce, G., Voytenko, L., Drinkhill, M., Wellershaus, K., Willecke, K., Deuchars, J., Deuchars, S. A. Physiologic regulation of heart rate and blood pressure involves connexin 36-containing gap junctions. ..
- Murakami M, Shteingart H, Loewenstein Y, Mainen Z. Distinct Sources of Deterministic and Stochastic Components of Action Timing Decisions in Rodent Frontal Cortex. Neuron. 2017;94:908-919.e7 pubmed publisher..These results suggest a two-stage model in which stochastic components of action timing decisions are injected by circuits downstream of those carrying deterministic bias signals. ..
- Patel Y, George A, Dorval A, White J, Christini D, Butera R. Hard real-time closed-loop electrophysiology with the Real-Time eXperiment Interface (RTXI). PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005430 pubmed publisher..RTXI is easy to install, can be used with an extensive range of external experimentation and data acquisition hardware, and includes standard modules for implementing common electrophysiology protocols. ..
- Xu Y, Zou P, Cohen A. Voltage imaging with genetically encoded indicators. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2017;39:1-10 pubmed publisher..We also highlight the protein engineering strategies employed to improve the dynamic range and kinetics of GEVIs and opportunities for future advances. ..
- Kheradpezhouh E, Choy J, Daria V, Arabzadeh E. TRPA1 expression and its functional activation in rodent cortex. Open Biol. 2017;7: pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the presence of TRPA1 in L5 pyramidal neurons and introduce a highly specific approach to further understand its functional significance. ..
- Kitajima N, Sugita Kitajima A, Kitajima S. Superior canal dehiscence syndrome associated with scuba diving. Diving Hyperb Med. 2017;47:123-126 pubmed..It is difficult to diagnose vertigo attacks after scuba diving as SCDS; however, when the patient develops sound- and/or pressure-induced vertical-torsional nystagmus, HRCT should be conducted to confirm a diagnosis of SCDS. ..
- Anand B, Chhina G, Sharma K, Dua S, Singh B. ACTIVITY OF SINGLE NEURONS IN THE HYPOTHALAMIC FEEDING CENTERS: EFFECT OF GLUCOSE. Am J Physiol. 1964;207:1146-54 pubmed
- Busch R, Baldus M, Vogt M, Berger S, Bartsch D, Gass P, et al. Effects of p75NTR deficiency on cholinergic innervation of the amygdala and anxiety-like behavior. J Neurochem. 2017;141:461-471 pubmed publisher..Thus, deletion of p75NTR in mice leads to physiological and morphological changes in the amygdala and altered behavior that is linked to the limbic system. ..
- Paskaranandavadivel N, Cheng L, Du P, Rogers J, O Grady G. High-resolution mapping of gastric slow-wave recovery profiles: biophysical model, methodology, and demonstration of applications. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2017;313:G265-G276 pubmed publisher..During normal activation, RAi vs. ARi had a slope of -1, whereas the weakening of the slope indicated a dysrhythmic propagation. ..
- Backhaus S, Zakrzewicz A, Richter K, Damm J, Wilker S, Fuchs Moll G, et al. Surfactant inhibits ATP-induced release of interleukin-1? via nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. J Lipid Res. 2017;58:1055-1066 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the surfactant constituent, DPPC, efficiently inhibits ATP-induced inflammasome activation and maturation of IL-1? in human monocytes by a mechanism involving nAChRs. ..
- Giacomelli E, Bellin M, Sala L, van Meer B, Tertoolen L, Orlova V, et al. Three-dimensional cardiac microtissues composed of cardiomyocytes and endothelial cells co-differentiated from human pluripotent stem cells. Development. 2017;144:1008-1017 pubmed publisher..This in vitro model was robustly reproducible in both embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells. It thus represents an advanced human stem cell-based platform for cardiovascular disease modelling and testing of relevant drugs. ..
- Horner A, Doeller C. Plasticity of hippocampal memories in humans. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2017;43:102-109 pubmed publisher..This research offers a glimpse into the highly plastic and flexible nature of the human hippocampal system in relation to episodic memory. ..
- Pannasch U, Sibille J, Rouach N. Dual electrophysiological recordings of synaptically-evoked astroglial and neuronal responses in acute hippocampal slices. J Vis Exp. 2012;:e4418 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we describe how to isolate pharmacologically the synaptically-evoked astroglial currents. ..
- Taha O, Opitz T, Mueller M, Pitsch J, Becker A, Evert B, et al. Neuropathic pain in experimental autoimmune neuritis is associated with altered electrophysiological properties of nociceptive DRG neurons. Exp Neurol. 2017;297:25-35 pubmed publisher..Thus, like in other animal models of neuropathic and inflammatory pain, Na+ channels seem to be crucially involved in the pathology of GBS and may constitute promising targets for pain modulating pharmaceuticals. ..
- Westover M, Ching S, Shafi M, Cash S, Brown E. Real-time segmentation and tracking of brain metabolic state in ICU EEG recordings of burst suppression. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2013;2013:7108-11 pubmed publisher..We design and fit the estimation method from EEG recordings of burst suppression from a neurological intensive care unit and test it on real and synthetic data. ..
- Hasebe M, Oka Y. High-Frequency Firing Activity of GnRH1 Neurons in Female Medaka Induces the Release of GnRH1 Peptide From Their Nerve Terminals in the Pituitary. Endocrinology. 2017;158:2603-2617 pubmed publisher..Thus, the findings of the present study have clearly demonstrated the relationship between the firing activity of hypothalamic GnRH neurons and the release of GnRH peptide. ..
- Pluta S, Lyall E, Telian G, Ryapolova Webb E, Adesnik H. Surround Integration Organizes a Spatial Map during Active Sensation. Neuron. 2017;94:1220-1233.e5 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate how spatial summation over a moving sensor array is critical to generating population codes of sensory space. ..
- Fazeli W, Zappettini S, Marguet S, Grendel J, Esclapez M, Bernard C, et al. Early-life exposure to caffeine affects the construction and activity of cortical networks in mice. Exp Neurol. 2017;295:88-103 pubmed publisher..Finally, caffeine-exposed offspring showed increased seizure susceptibility in a hyperthermia-induced seizure model. In summary, our results indicate detrimental effects of developmental caffeine exposure on mouse brain development. ..
- Asteriti S, Grillner S, Cangiano L. A Cambrian origin for vertebrate rods. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..These results make convergent evolution in the jawless and jawed vertebrate lines unlikely and indicate an early origin of rods, implying strong selective pressure toward dim-light vision in Cambrian ecosystems. ..
- Kost L, Nikitin E, Ivanova V, Sung U, Putintseva E, Chudakov D, et al. Insertion of the voltage-sensitive domain into circularly permuted red fluorescent protein as a design for genetically encoded voltage sensor. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184225 pubmed publisher..Indicators using the same domain topology could become a new perspective for the FP-based voltage sensors that are traditionally based on Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET). ..
- Allen M, Godenschwege T. Electrophysiological recordings from the Drosophila giant fiber system (GFS). Cold Spring Harb Protoc. 2010;2010:pdb.prot5453 pubmed publisher..It is a relatively noninvasive method that allows the investigator to stimulate the giant fibers in the brain and assay the function of several central synapses within this neural circuit by recording from the thoracic musculature. ..
- Kaufman M, Reinartz S, Ziv N. Adaptation to prolonged neuromodulation in cortical cultures: an invariable return to network synchrony. BMC Biol. 2014;12:83 pubmed publisher..A multiplicity of neuromodulators and ultimately neuromodulator withdrawal periods might thus be necessary to cope with an inevitable reemergence of network synchrony. ..
- Tsuneoka Y, Irie M, Tanaka Y, Sugimoto T, Kobayashi Y, Kusakabe T, et al. Permissive role of reduced inwardly-rectifying potassium current density in the automaticity of the guinea pig pulmonary vein myocardium. J Pharmacol Sci. 2017;133:195-202 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the pulmonary vein cardiomyocytes have a reduced density of the inwardly-rectifying potassium current, which plays a permissive role in their intracellular Ca2+-dependent automaticity. ..
- Guo Y, Zhang W, Chen X, Fu J, Cheng W, Song D, et al. Timing-dependent LTP and LTD in mouse primary visual cortex following different visual deprivation models. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176603 pubmed publisher..Moreover, a decrease in NR2A protein expression at the synapse is attributable to the reduction of the NR2A/2B ratio in the deprived cortex. ..
- Dell Anno M, Caiazzo M, Leo D, Dvoretskova E, Medrihan L, Colasante G, et al. Remote control of induced dopaminergic neurons in parkinsonian rats. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:3215-29 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that iDA neurons have therapeutic potential as a cell replacement approach for PD and highlight the applicability of pharmacogenetics for enhancing cellular signaling in reprogrammed cell-based approaches. ..
- Hume C, Sabatier N, Menzies J. High-Sugar, but Not High-Fat, Food Activates Supraoptic Nucleus Neurons in the Male Rat. Endocrinology. 2017;158:2200-2211 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the presence of specific foods with different macronutrient profiles in the stomach differentially regulates the activity of oxytocin neurons. ..
- Hsu J, Liao M, Hsu H, Weng Y, Lo A, Chang K, et al. A prospective, observational study of patients with uncommon distal symmetric painful small-fiber neuropathy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183948 pubmed publisher..The long-term prognosis is quite good in these participants. From our structuralized protocol, Fabry disease and familial amyloid polyneuropathy could be easily detected in these cases of uncommon DSPSFN. ..