Genomes and Genes
Summary: The distance from the sole to the crown of the head with body standing on a flat surface and fully extended.
- Utsunomiya Y, do Carmo A, Carvalheiro R, Neves H, Matos M, Zavarez L, et al. Genome-wide association study for birth weight in Nellore cattle points to previously described orthologous genes affecting human and bovine height. BMC Genet. 2013;14:52 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the QTLs on BTA14 associated with body size in taurine cattle (Bos primigenius taurus) also affect birth weight and size in zebu cattle (Bos primigenius indicus). ..
- Jarjou L, Goldberg G, Coward W, Prentice A. Calcium intake of rural Gambian infants: a quantitative study of the relative contributions of breast milk and complementary foods at 3 and 12 months of age. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2012;66:673-7 pubmed publisher..These findings have potential implications for deriving calcium requirements in developing countries. ..
- Nguyen H, Eriksson B, Nguyen L, Nguyen C, Petzold M, Bondjers G, et al. Physical growth during the first year of life. A longitudinal study in rural and urban areas of Hanoi, Vietnam. BMC Pediatr. 2012;12:26 pubmed publisher..The results support the hypothesis that the rather drastic differences in maternal education and economic conditions lead to poor nutrition for mothers and children in turn causing inferior birth weight and growth. ..
- Stulp G, Verhulst S, Pollet T, Buunk A. The effect of female height on reproductive success is negative in Western populations, but more variable in non-western populations. Am J Hum Biol. 2012;24:486-94 pubmed publisher..We conclude that shorter women have a higher number of live births but that final reproductive success depends on the positive effect of height on child survival. ..
- Chen T, Ji C. Secular change in stature of urban Chinese children and adolescents, 1985-2010. Biomed Environ Sci. 2013;26:13-22 pubmed publisher..School policies and strategies should be developed based on increased stature, and should continue narrowing the inequity between different socioeconomic populations. ..
- Coste J, Pouchot J, Carel J. Height and health-related quality of life: a nationwide population study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:3231-9 pubmed publisher..However, there are only limited data available concerning the consequences of body height for HRQoL in adulthood. Our objective was to investigate the relationship between body height and HRQoL...
- Mwangome M, Fegan G, Mbunya R, Prentice A, Berkley J. Reliability and accuracy of anthropometry performed by community health workers among infants under 6 months in rural Kenya. Trop Med Int Health. 2012;17:622-9 pubmed publisher..075). Mid Upper Arm Circumference is more reliably measured by CHWs than WFLz among infants aged <6 months. Further work is needed to define cut-off values based on MUAC's ability to predict mortality among younger infants. ..
- Marinković N, Vilić J. [Correlation between the lengths of the long bones of the forearm and the fibula with body height in our population]. Vojnosanit Pregl. 2012;69:394-8 pubmed..Anthropological investigations which provided formulae for calculating ante-mortem body height date back from XIX or from the first half of XX centuries...
- Arvedsen S, Damgaard M, Norsk P. Body height and blood pressure regulation in humans during anti-orthostatic tilting. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2012;302:R984-9 pubmed publisher..In 34 males and 41 females [20-30 yr, body height (BH) = 147-206 cm], inter-individual multiple linear regression analyses adjusted for gender and body weight ..
- Sorokowski P, Butovskaya M. Height preferences in humans may not be universal: evidence from the Datoga people of Tanzania. Body Image. 2012;9:510-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data do not accord with the suggestion of a universal preference for taller men, but rather suggests that height preferences may be influenced by cultural, environmental, and ecological conditions. ..
- Stulp G, Kuijper B, Buunk A, Pollet T, Verhulst S. Intralocus sexual conflict over human height. Biol Lett. 2012;8:976-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we show that IASC over a heritable, sexually dimorphic physical trait (human height) affects Darwinian fitness in a contemporary human population. ..
- Ong K, Hardy R, Shah I, Kuh D. Childhood stunting and mortality between 36 and 64 years: the British 1946 Birth Cohort Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:2070-7 pubmed publisher..Those who were short at age 6 years had substantially higher mortality 30 to 60 years later. Furthermore, they accounted for the well-recognized inverse association between adult height and mortality. ..
- Khoury M, Manlhiot C, McCrindle B. Role of the waist/height ratio in the cardiometabolic risk assessment of children classified by body mass index. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62:742-51 pubmed publisher..The WHtR should be included in the routine screening and assessment of overweight and obese children, and those with an elevated WHtR should undergo a further cardiometabolic risk assessment. ..
- Tenenbaum S, Hershkovich O, Gordon B, Bruck N, Thein R, Derazne E, et al. Flexible pes planus in adolescents: body mass index, body height, and gender--an epidemiological study. Foot Ankle Int. 2013;34:811-7 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to report the prevalence of FPP and its association with body mass index (BMI), body height, and gender among healthy and fit adolescents...
- Silventoinen K, Baker J, Sørensen T. Growth in height in childhood and risk of coronary heart disease in adult men and women. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30476 pubmed publisher..Risk of CHD in adulthood is inversely related to height at ages 7 through 13 years, but strongest in the youngest, and, independently hereof, the risk increased by growth velocity. ..
- Wang N, Zhang X, Xiang Y, Yang G, Li H, Gao J, et al. Associations of adult height and its components with mortality: a report from cohort studies of 135,000 Chinese women and men. Int J Epidemiol. 2011;40:1715-26 pubmed..87-0.99) and 0.91 (0.86-0.98) in women, and 0.93 (0.86-1.02), 0.89 (0.81-0.98) and 0.99 (0.92-1.06) in men. Our results suggest that different mechanisms may be involved in linking height and its components with cancer and CVD mortality. ..
- Howe L, Matijasevich A, Tilling K, Brion M, Leary S, Smith G, et al. Maternal smoking during pregnancy and offspring trajectories of height and adiposity: comparing maternal and paternal associations. Int J Epidemiol. 2012;41:722-32 pubmed publisher..We do not find evidence of a specific intrauterine effect on height or adiposity changes after the age of 2 years. ..
- Marwaha R, Tandon N, Ganie M, Kanwar R, Shivaprasad C, Sabharwal A, et al. Nationwide reference data for height, weight and body mass index of Indian schoolchildren. Natl Med J India. 2011;24:269-77 pubmed..We suggest that the height and weight percentiles reported by us may be used as reference standards for India. ..
- Bonthuis M, van Stralen K, Verrina E, Edefonti A, Molchanova E, Hokken Koelega A, et al. Use of national and international growth charts for studying height in European children: development of up-to-date European height-for-age charts. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42506 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we advocate using recent national or European height-for-age charts derived from recent national data when monitoring growth of healthy and diseased European children. ..
- . Adult height and the risk of cause-specific death and vascular morbidity in 1 million people: individual participant meta-analysis. Int J Epidemiol. 2012;41:1419-33 pubmed publisher..Adult height has directionally opposing relationships with risk of death from several different major causes of chronic diseases. ..
- Keller M, Garver Apgar C, Wright M, Martin N, Corley R, Stallings M, et al. The genetic correlation between height and IQ: shared genes or assortative mating?. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003451 pubmed publisher..Model fits indicate that both pleiotropy and assortative mating contribute significantly and about equally to this genetic correlation. ..
- Yang J, Ferreira T, Morris A, Medland S, Madden P, Heath A, et al. Conditional and joint multiple-SNP analysis of GWAS summary statistics identifies additional variants influencing complex traits. Nat Genet. 2012;44:369-75, S1-3 pubmed publisher..The method we present is computationally fast and is also applicable to case-control data, which we demonstrate in an example from meta-analysis of type 2 diabetes by the DIAGRAM Consortium. ..
- Mushtaq M, Gull S, Mushtaq K, Abdullah H, Khurshid U, Shahid U, et al. Height, weight and BMI percentiles and nutritional status relative to the international growth references among Pakistani school-aged children. BMC Pediatr. 2012;12:31 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, shifting to use of the 2007 WHO child growth reference might have important implications for child health programs and primary care pediatric clinics. ..
- Brambilla P, Bedogni G, Heo M, Pietrobelli A. Waist circumference-to-height ratio predicts adiposity better than body mass index in children and adolescents. Int J Obes (Lond). 2013;37:943-6 pubmed publisher..Similar relationships were observed with PTF and FMI. WCHt is better than WC and BMI at predicting adiposity in children and adolescents. It can be a useful surrogate of body adiposity when skinfold measurements are not available. ..
- Matijasevich A, Howe L, Tilling K, Santos I, Barros A, Lawlor D. Maternal education inequalities in height growth rates in early childhood: 2004 Pelotas birth cohort study. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012;26:236-49 pubmed publisher..2 standard deviations of birth length to approximately 0.7 standard deviations of height at age 4, indicating that height inequality, which was already present at birth, widened through differential growth rates to age 2 years. ..
- Han K, Rohlmann A, Zander T, Taylor W. Lumbar spinal loads vary with body height and weight. Med Eng Phys. 2013;35:969-77 pubmed publisher..for different postures and activities at several levels of the thoracolumbar spine for various combinations of body height and weight...
- Savage T, Peek J, Robinson E, Green M, Miles H, Mouat F, et al. Ovarian stimulation leads to shorter stature in childhood. Hum Reprod. 2012;27:3092-9 pubmed publisher..62 ± 0.07 versus 4.81 ± 0.04; P= 0.006). Conception after OS(A) was associated with shorter stature, particularly in boys, compared with naturally conceived children of fertile and subfertile parents. ..
- Khan A, Hawkesworth S, Ekström E, Arifeen S, Moore S, Frongillo E, et al. Effects of exclusive breastfeeding intervention on child growth and body composition: the MINIMat trial, Bangladesh. Acta Paediatr. 2013;102:815-23 pubmed publisher..The combination of prenatal multiple micronutrient supplementation (MMS) and BFC was unfavourable for linear growth during 0-54 months, which raises questions about possible negative effects of MMS. ..
- Hershkovich O, Friedlander A, Gordon B, Arzi H, Derazne E, Tzur D, et al. Associations of body mass index and body height with low back pain in 829,791 adolescents. Am J Epidemiol. 2013;178:603-9 pubmed publisher..438 (P < 0.001) for males and 1.224 (P < 0.001) for females. Low back pain with or without objective findings was associated with overweight and obesity as well as with height. ..
- Marrodán M, Martínez Alvarez J, González Montero de Espinosa M, Lopez Ejeda N, Cabañas M, Prado C. [Diagnostic accuracy of waist to height ratio in screening of overweight and infant obesity]. Med Clin (Barc). 2013;140:296-301 pubmed publisher..Cut-offs points of WHR that identify obesity are: 0.51 in males and 0.50 in girls. For the overweight, cut-offs range between 0.47 and 0.48 depending on sex and the criterion variable. ..
- Roberfroid D, Huybregts L, Lanou H, Ouedraogo L, Henry M, Meda N, et al. Impact of prenatal multiple micronutrients on survival and growth during infancy: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;95:916-24 pubmed publisher..Although prenatal multiple micronutrients can improve fetal growth, their benefit on postnatal health remains uncertain...
- Muller L, Gonaus C, Perner C, Muller E, Raschner C. Maturity status influences the relative age effect in national top level youth alpine ski racing and soccer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181810 pubmed publisher..In this context, the easy feasible method of assessing the APHV can be used. ..
- Ripka W, Ulbricht L, Gewehr P. Body composition and prediction equations using skinfold thickness for body fat percentage in Southern Brazilian adolescents. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184854 pubmed publisher..06, 0.20 and 0.05, respectively. the innovation of this study lies in presenting new regression equations for predicting body fat in Southern Brazilian adolescents based on a representative and heterogeneous sample from DXA. ..
- Muraro A, Gonçalves Silva R, Ferreira M, Sichieri R. Effects of social mobility from childhood to adolescence on BMI. Public Health Nutr. 2016;19:814-21 pubmed publisher..Individuals from a higher SEP in childhood and those who remained in the higher social classes showed greater rate of change in BMI. Thus, initial SEP was the major determinant of changes in BMI. ..
- Barsties B, Verfaillie R, Dicks P, Maryn Y. Is the speaking fundamental frequency in females related to body height?. Logoped Phoniatr Vocol. 2016;41:27-32 pubmed publisherThe aim of the study was to determine the impact of body height on speaking fundamental frequency (SF0) while controlling for as many as possible influencing factors such as habits, biophysical conditions, medication, diseases, and ..
- Yukutake T, Nagai K, Yamada M, Aoyama T. Risk factors for elbow pain in Little League baseball players: a cross-sectional study focusing on developmental factors. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2015;55:962-8 pubmed..Our results suggested that an increase over height in the last 12 months may predispose young baseball players to elbow pain. ..
- Friedrich N, Schneider H, John U, Dorr M, Baumeister S, Homuth G, et al. Correlates of adverse outcomes in abdominally obese individuals: findings from the five-year followup of the population-based study of health in Pomerania. J Obes. 2013;2013:762012 pubmed publisher..These findings may improve the detection of high-risk individuals and help to advance prevention strategies in abdominal obesity. ..
- Perez Farinos N, López Sobaler A, Dal Re M, Villar C, Labrado E, Robledo T, et al. The ALADINO study: a national study of prevalence of overweight and obesity in Spanish children in 2011. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:163687 pubmed publisher..Overweight and obesity remain widespreading among Spanish children; a consensus on the definition of overweight and obesity cut-off criteria is necessary. ..
- Jalal C, Frongillo E. Effect of poverty reduction program on nutritional status of the extreme poor in Bangladesh. Food Nutr Bull. 2013;34:402-11 pubmed..The findings will contribute to judging the cost-benefit and cost-effectiveness of the program and in garnering support for the expansion of such programs. ..
- Yadigar S, Yavuzer H, Yavuzer S, Cengiz M, YÃ¼rÃ¼yen M, DÃ¶ventaÅŸ A, et al. Primary Sarcopenia in Older People with Normal Nutrition. J Nutr Health Aging. 2016;20:234-8 pubmed publisher..Sarcopenia that makes older people physically dependent and decreases their quality of life that receive sufficient nutritional support and are also obese should be comprehensively investigated with respect to presence of sarcopenia. ..
- Dong B, Wang Z, Arnold L, Yang Y, Ma J. Role of waist measures in addition to body mass index to assess the hypertension risk in children. Blood Press. 2016;25:344-350 pubmed..This study suggests WHtR, in addition to BMI, should be included for the assessment of childhood adiposity in routine paediatric practice. ..
- Feng W, Huang X, Wang H, Gong L, Xu Y, Pan X, et al. [Percentile curves on growth among breastfed 1-4 year olds in 8 urban areas]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2017;38:503-507 pubmed publisher..001???????????????????bmi????????0.56~0.76 kg?0.89~1.12 cm?0.64~0.91 cm?0.31~0.52 kg/m(2)? ??? ??????????????????????????????????????????????. ..
- Binder G, Liebl M, Woelfle J, Eggermann T, Blumenstock G, Schweizer R. Adult height and epigenotype in children with Silver-Russell syndrome treated with GH. Horm Res Paediatr. 2013;80:193-200 pubmed publisher..Height gain was highest in the shortest patients. GH improved adult height in SRS to a comparable degree as reported in nonsyndromic SGA children. A trend toward a better outcome in matUPD7 needs confirmation in larger cohorts. ..
- Chen Y, Tu Y, Huang K, Chen P, Chu D, Lee Y. Pathway from central obesity to childhood asthma. Physical fitness and sedentary time are leading factors. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;189:1194-203 pubmed publisher..Central obesity measures should be incorporated in childhood asthma risk predictions. Children are encouraged to increase their physical fitness levels and reduce their sedentary time to prevent central obesity-related asthma. ..
- El Karaksy H, Mogahed E, El Raziky M, Saleh D, Besheer M, Mubarak S. Safety and Efficacy of Combined Treatment with Pegylated Interferon Alpha-2b and Ribavirin for HCV Genotype 4 in Children. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2016;36:1-8 pubmed publisher..Side effects could be managed with dose modifications and specific treatment when necessary. ..
- De Schepper J, Vanderfaeillie J, Mullis P, Rooman R, Robertson A, Dilleen M, et al. A 2-year multicentre, open-label, randomized, controlled study of growth hormone (Genotropin®) treatment in very young children born small for gestational age: Early Growth and Neurodevelopment (EGN) Study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2016;84:353-60 pubmed publisher..GH treatment for 24 months in very young short-stature children born SGA resulted in a significant increase in height SDS compared with no treatment. ..
- Darendeliler F, YeÅŸilkaya E, Bereket A, BaÅŸ F, Bundak R, SarÄ± E, et al. Growth curves for Turkish Girls with Turner Syndrome: Results of the Turkish Turner Syndrome Study Group. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2015;7:183-91 pubmed publisher..These disease-specific national growth charts will serve to improve the evaluation of growth and its management with growth-promoting therapeutic agents in TS patients. ..
- Zhang Y, Zhou J, Niu F, Donowitz J, Haque R, Petri W, et al. Characterizing early child growth patterns of height-for-age in an urban slum cohort of Bangladesh with functional principal component analysis. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:84 pubmed publisher..ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02734264 , registered 22 March, 2016. ..
- Nicolucci A, Hume M, MartÃnez I, Mayengbam S, Walter J, Reimer R. Prebiotics Reduce Body Fat and Alter Intestinal Microbiota in Children Who Are Overweight or With Obesity. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:711-722 pubmed publisher..gov no:Â NCT02125955). ..