nutritional physiological phenomena
Summary: The processes and properties of living organisms by which they take in and balance the use of nutritive materials for energy, heat production, or building material for the growth, maintenance, or repair of tissues and the nutritive properties of FOOD.
- Blundell J, Lawton C, Halford J. Serotonin, eating behavior, and fat intake. Obes Res. 1995;3 Suppl 4:471S-476S pubmed..These proposals have theoretical and practical implications and suggest possible strategies to intensify or advance fat-induced satiety signals. ..
- Mortimore G, Pösö A. Intracellular protein catabolism and its control during nutrient deprivation and supply. Annu Rev Nutr. 1987;7:539-64 pubmed..5 and 4 times normal plasma levels but loses effectiveness almost completely at normal concentrations.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Willett W, Stampfer M. Total energy intake: implications for epidemiologic analyses. Am J Epidemiol. 1986;124:17-27 pubmed..The relationships between dietary factors and disease are complex. Even with carefully collected measures of intake, consideration of the biologic implications of various analytic approaches is needed to avoid misleading conclusions. ..
- Ruan H, Ma Y, Torres S, Zhang B, Feriod C, Heck R, et al. Calcium-dependent O-GlcNAc signaling drives liver autophagy in adaptation to starvation. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1655-1665 pubmed publisher..These findings uncover a signaling cascade by which starvation promotes autophagy through OGT phosphorylation and establish the importance of O-GlcNAc signaling in coupling liver autophagy to nutrient homeostasis. ..
- Parmenter K, Waller J, Wardle J. Demographic variation in nutrition knowledge in England. Health Educ Res. 2000;15:163-74 pubmed..Possible reasons for these differences and implications for public education campaigns and socio-economic inequalities in health are discussed. ..
- Vesper H, Schmelz E, Nikolova Karakashian M, Dillehay D, Lynch D, Merrill A. Sphingolipids in food and the emerging importance of sphingolipids to nutrition. J Nutr. 1999;129:1239-50 pubmed..Additional associations among diet, sphingolipids and health are certain to emerge as more is learned about these compounds. ..
- Caan B, Hiatt R, Owen A. Mailed dietary surveys: response rates, error rates, and the effect of omitted food items on nutrient values. Epidemiology. 1991;2:430-6 pubmed..90 and increased as the number of omitted items decreased. If a relatively low overall response rate is acceptable, food frequencies collected through the mail can be an effective way to gather dietary information. ..
- Steptoe A, Pollard T, Wardle J. Development of a measure of the motives underlying the selection of food: the food choice questionnaire. Appetite. 1995;25:267-84 pubmed..Differences in motives for food choice associated with sex, age and income were found. The potential uses of this measure in health psychology and other areas are discussed. ..
- Devries S, Agatston A, Aggarwal M, Aspry K, Esselstyn C, Kris Etherton P, et al. A Deficiency of Nutrition Education and Practice in Cardiology. Am J Med. 2017;130:1298-1305 pubmed publisher..A large proportion of cardiovascular specialists have received minimal medical education and training in nutrition, and current trainees continue to experience significant education and training gaps. ..
- Curtis P. Stalk formation of Brevundimonas and how it compares to Caulobacter crescentus. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184063 pubmed publisher..subvibrioides stalk. In summary, this work begins to address how much the C. crescentus model for this unusual morphological adaptation can be extended to related organisms. ..
- Sastry P. Lipids of nervous tissue: composition and metabolism. Prog Lipid Res. 1985;24:69-176 pubmed..More recently, growth promoting and neuritogenic functions have been ascribed to gangliosides. These interesting properties of gangliosides wIll undoubtedly attract greater attention in the future.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Pham Q, Worsley A, Lawrence M, Marshall B. Opportunities and barriers to public health nutrition education in Vietnamese universities. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2017;26:494-503 pubmed publisher..The results highlighted the need and opportunities to enhance PHN professional development for nutrition lecturers in Vietnam. ..
- Walford R, Harris S, Gunion M. The calorically restricted low-fat nutrient-dense diet in Biosphere 2 significantly lowers blood glucose, total leukocyte count, cholesterol, and blood pressure in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:11533-7 pubmed
- Zimmet P. Globalization, coca-colonization and the chronic disease epidemic: can the Doomsday scenario be averted?. J Intern Med. 2000;247:301-10 pubmed..A multidisciplinary Task Force representing all parties which can contribute to a reversal of the underlying socio-economic causes of the problem is an urgent priority. ..
- Young V, Bier D, Pellett P. A theoretical basis for increasing current estimates of the amino acid requirements in adult man, with experimental support. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989;50:80-92 pubmed
- Nicklas T, Jahns L, Bogle M, Chester D, Giovanni M, Klurfeld D, et al. Barriers and facilitators for consumer adherence to the dietary guidelines for Americans: the HEALTH study. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013;113:1317-31 pubmed publisher..For both unrelated adult caregivers and children, reported facilitators closely coincided with the barriers, highlighting modifiable conditions that could help individuals to meet the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. ..
- Pfuhlmann K, Pfluger P, Schriever S, Müller T, Tschop M, Stemmer K. Dual specificity phosphatase 6 deficiency is associated with impaired systemic glucose tolerance and reversible weight retardation in mice. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183488 pubmed publisher..Reasons for the discrepancies remain elusive, but may entail differential genetic backgrounds, environmental factors such as the type and source of HFD, or alterations in the gut microbiome between facilities. ..
- Hart R, Leakey J, Chou M, Duffy P, Allaben W, Feuers R. Modulation of chemical toxicity by modification of caloric intake. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1992;322:73-81 pubmed..These results suggest that caloric restriction may, in part, extend the time to development of degenerative disease by altering basic biochemical mechanisms of toxicity. ..
- Selin J, Lindblad B, Bottai M, Morgenstern R, Wolk A. High-dose B-vitamin supplements and risk for age-related cataract: a population-based prospective study of men and women. Br J Nutr. 2017;118:154-160 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the use of high-dose B-vitamin supplements was associated with an increased risk for cataract. This association might be confined to younger participants. ..
- Li Y, Li M, Liu X, Ren T, Li W, Yang C, et al. Zinc Absorption from Representative Diet in a Chinese Elderly Population Using Stable Isotope Technique. Biomed Environ Sci. 2017;30:391-397 pubmed publisher..To determine the dietary zinc absorption in a Chinese elderly population and provide the basic data for the setting of zinc (Zn) recommended nutrient intakes (RNI) for Chinese elderly people...
- Vaiserman A. Early-life nutritional programming of longevity. J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2014;5:325-38 pubmed publisher..The aim of the review is to provide a summary of research findings and theoretical explanations that indicate that longevity can be influenced by early nutrition. ..
- Baye K, Retta N, Abuye C. Comparison of the effects of conditional food and cash transfers of the Ethiopian Productive Safety Net Program on household food security and dietary diversity in the face of rising food prices: ways forward for a more nutrition-sensitive program. Food Nutr Bull. 2014;35:289-95 pubmed..However, the continuing rise infood prices may offset these benefits unless cash transfers are index-linked to food price fluctuations. ..
- Kaaks R, Riboli E. Validation and calibration of dietary intake measurements in the EPIC project: methodological considerations. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Int J Epidemiol. 1997;26 Suppl 1:S15-25 pubmed..This paper reviews the methodological considerations underlying the design and implementation of such substudies in the EPIC project, a collaborative multicentre study in nine Western European countries. ..
- Bilo H, Houweling S. [Increase in the number of people with diabetes mellitus: need for a master plan]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2009;153:1048-9 pubmed
- Friedrich M, Goluch Koniuszy Z. The effectiveness of nutritional education among women aged 60-85 on the basis of anthropometric parameters and lipid profiles. Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig. 2017;68:253-260 pubmed..The analysis of the results allows to confirm, that the four-month nutritional education of elderly women resulted in changes of their erroneous dietary habits and an improvement in their nutrition. ..
- Garn S, Russell A. The effect of nutritional extremes on dental development. Am J Clin Nutr. 1971;24:285-6 pubmed
- Biondi A, Fisichella R, Fiorica F, Malaguarnera M, Basile F. Food mutagen and gastrointestinal cancer. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2012;16:1280-2 pubmed
- de Jager C, Dye L, de Bruin E, Butler L, Fletcher J, Lamport D, et al. Criteria for validation and selection of cognitive tests for investigating the effects of foods and nutrients. Nutr Rev. 2014;72:162-79 pubmed
- James W, Nelson M, Ralph A, Leather S. Socioeconomic determinants of health. The contribution of nutrition to inequalities in health. BMJ. 1997;314:1545-9 pubmed
- Fehily A, Coles R, Evans W, Elwood P. Factors affecting bone density in young adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 1992;56:579-86 pubmed..01), and inversely with parity (NS) in women. In multiple linear-regression analysis body weight and sports activity during adolescence were stronger determinants of female BMD than was diet. ..
- Blaxter K. Techniques in energy metabolism studies and their limitations. Proc Nutr Soc. 1967;26:86-96 pubmed
- Rozin P. Acquisition of food preferences and attitudes to food. Int J Obes. 1980;4:356-63 pubmed..Promising areas for research are indicated. Our present inability to answer basic questions about human food selection and the acquisition of affect hinders attempts to modify food choice, in individuals or cultures. ..
- Bravo L. Polyphenols: chemistry, dietary sources, metabolism, and nutritional significance. Nutr Rev. 1998;56:317-33 pubmed
- Popkin B. The nutrition transition in low-income countries: an emerging crisis. Nutr Rev. 1994;52:285-98 pubmed..Examples from Thailand, China, and Brazil provide evidence of the changes and trends in dietary intake, physical activity, and body composition patterns. ..
- Mayer J. Glucostatic mechanism of regulation of food intake. N Engl J Med. 1953;249:13-6 pubmed
- Kramer M. Determinants of low birth weight: methodological assessment and meta-analysis. Bull World Health Organ. 1987;65:663-737 pubmed
- Bohlscheid Thomas S, Hoting I, Boeing H, Wahrendorf J. Reproducibility and relative validity of energy and macronutrient intake of a food frequency questionnaire developed for the German part of the EPIC project. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Int J Epidemiol. 1997;26 Suppl 1:S71-81 pubmed..A revised version of the FFQ corrected for food consumption frequency is used in the EPIC study. ..
- Tain Y, Hsu C. Interplay between Oxidative Stress and Nutrient Sensing Signaling in the Developmental Origins of Cardiovascular Disease. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..A greater understanding of the mechanisms underlying cardiovascular programming is essential to developing early reprogramming interventions to combat the globally growing epidemic of CVD. ..
- Slimani N, Deharveng G, Charrondière R, Van Kappel A, Ocke M, Welch A, et al. Structure of the standardized computerized 24-h diet recall interview used as reference method in the 22 centers participating in the EPIC project. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 1999;58:251-66 pubmed..So far, EPIC-SOFT is the only available computerized 24-h diet recall system developed to provide comparable food consumption data between several European countries. ..
- Bailey C, Probert C, Bohman V. Growth rate, feed utilization and body composition of young bulls and steers. J Anim Sci. 1966;25:132-7 pubmed
- Ackerman J. The ultimate social network. Sci Am. 2012;306:36-43 pubmed
- . Fats and fatty acids in human nutrition. Report of an expert consultation. FAO Food Nutr Pap. 2010;91:1-166 pubmed
- Brosnan J. The 1986 Borden award lecture. The role of the kidney in amino acid metabolism and nutrition. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1987;65:2355-62 pubmed..The function of serine synthesis by the phosphorylated-intermediate pathway is not apparent.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..