Genomes and Genes
Summary: A space in which the pressure is far below atmospheric pressure so that the remaining gases do not affect processes being carried on in the space.
Publications362 found, 100 shown here
- Evaluation of antilisterial action of cilantro oil on vacuum packed hamA O Gill
Department of Food Science, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Int J Food Microbiol 73:83-92. 2002..were conducted to evaluate the ability of cilantro oil to control the growth of Listeria monocytogenes on vacuum-packed ham. The in vitro minimal inhibitory concentration for five strains of L...
- The use of vacuum-assisted closure therapy for the treatment of lower-extremity wounds with exposed boneA J DeFranzo
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1075, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:1184-91. 2001..The tubing was connected to the vacuum-assisted closure pump. Continuous subatmospheric suction pressure (125 mmHg) was applied to the wound site...
- Systematic review: comparative effectiveness of core-needle and open surgical biopsy to diagnose breast lesionsWendy Bruening
ECRI Institute, 5200 Butler Pike, Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462 1298, USA
Ann Intern Med 152:238-46. 2010..Most women undergoing breast biopsy are found not to have cancer...
- US-guided vacuum-assisted biopsy of microcalcifications in breast lesions and long-term follow-up resultsHua Sun Kim
Department of Radiology and Institution of Radiological Science, Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 9:503-9. 2008To evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of the use of an ultrasonography (US)-guided vacuum-assisted biopsy for microcalcifications of breast lesions and to evaluate the efficacy of the use of US-guided vacuum-assisted biopsy with long-term ..
- Sodium citrate vacuum tubes validation: preventing preanalytical variability in routine coagulation testingGabriel Lima-Oliveira
Department of Life and Reproduction Sciences, Laboratory of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Verona, Italy
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 24:252-5. 2013..The aim of this study was to validate five brands of sodium citrate vacuum tubes...
- Vacuum-assisted socket suspension compared with pin suspension for lower extremity amputees: effect on fit, activity, and limb volumeGlenn K Klute
Department of Veterans Affairs Center of Excellence for Limb Loss Prevention and Prosthetic Engineering, Seattle, WA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 92:1570-5. 2011To investigate the effect of a vacuum-assisted socket suspension system as compared with pin suspension on lower extremity amputees.
- High-efficiency Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of citrus via sonication and vacuum infiltrationMaria Luiza Peixoto de Oliveira
Plant Biology Department, Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory BIOAGRO, Federal University of Vicosa, Vicosa, MG, Brazil
Plant Cell Rep 28:387-95. 2009..Sonication-assisted Agrobacterium-mediated transformation (SAAT), vacuum infiltration, and a combination of the two procedures were compared with conventional Agrobacterium-mediated ..
- Experience with vacuum-pack temporary abdominal wound closure in 258 trauma and general and vascular surgical patientsDonald E Barker
Department of Surgery, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Chattanooga, TN 37403, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:784-92; discussion 792-3. 2007Temporary closure of an open abdominal wound by vacuum-pack is the method of choice for patients requiring open abdomen management in our institution...
- Hemodynamic effects of vacuum-assisted closure therapy in cardiac surgery: assessment using magnetic resonance imagingRainer Petzina
Department of Medicine, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:1154-62. 2007The hemodynamic effects of vacuum-assisted closure therapy in cardiac surgery are debated...
- Cardiac rupture during vacuum-assisted closure therapyUlrik Sartipy
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Anesthesiology, Karolinska University Hospital, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1110-1. 2006b>Vacuum-assisted closure therapy is a recently introduced technique for treatment of deep sternal wound infections after cardiac surgery...
- Tongue movement and intra-oral vacuum in breastfeeding infantsDonna T Geddes
The University of Western Australia, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Biomedical, Biomolecular and Chemical Sciences, Faculty of Life and Physical Sciences, Australia
Early Hum Dev 84:471-7. 2008..It is unclear whether the infant uses predominantly intra-oral vacuum or a peristaltic action of the tongue to remove milk from the breast...
- [Vacuum assisted wound closure --overview of lesson and applications]T Toporcer
II Chirurgická klinika LF UPJS, Kosice
Cas Lek Cesk 145:702-7; discussion 707. 2006The aim of this review was to provide a comprehensive actual overview of the Vacuum Assisted Closure therapy (VAC). VAC is new method for wound treatment. VAC is assigned especially for per secundam healed wounds...
- A model of Agrobacterium tumefaciens vacuum infiltration into harvested leaf tissue and subsequent in planta transgene transient expressionChristopher W Simmons
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of California, 1 Shields Ave, Davis, California 95616, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 102:965-70. 2009..b>Vacuum is often applied to plant tissue submerged in a suspension of A. tumefaciens to improve agroinfiltration...
- MR-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy with a handheld biopsy system: clinical experience and results in postinterventional MR mammography after 24 hE A Hauth
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional, Radiology and Neuroradiology, University Hospital Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Eur Radiol 18:168-76. 2008This prospective study evaluates the feasibility of the magnetic resonance (MR)-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy with a handheld vacuum-biopsy system and documents the biopsy results with MR mammography 24 h after the procedure...
- Breast lesions with imaging-histologic discordance during 16-gauge core needle biopsy system: would vacuum-assisted removal get significantly more definitive histologic diagnosis than vacuum-assisted biopsy?Zhi Li Wang
Department of Ultrasound, Chinese People s Liberation Army General Hospital, Beijing, China
Breast J 17:456-61. 2011The aim of this study was to determine the role of vacuum-assisted biopsy (VAB) in patients with ultrasound imaging-histologic discordance during 16-gauge core needle biopsy (CNB) and to compare VAB with vacuum-assisted removal (VAR) in ..
- A comparison of trans-tibial amputee suction and vacuum socket conditionsW J Board
Department of Health, Physical Education and Sports Science, Saint Cloud State University, Minnesota 56301-4498, USA
Prosthet Orthot Int 25:202-9. 2001..A method of preventing this volume loss and maintaining a good fit was developed. A vacuum (-78 kPa) was drawn on the expulsion port of a total surface-bearing suction socket to hold the liner tightly ..
- Increasing the open-circuit voltage of photoprotein-based photoelectrochemical cells by manipulation of the vacuum potential of the electrolytesSwee Ching Tan
Nanoscience Centre, University of Cambridge, 11 JJ Thomson Avenue, Cambridge CB3 0FF, UK
ACS Nano 6:9103-9. 2012..the protein to the counter electrode, with an approximately linear relationship being observed between the vacuum potential of the electrolyte and the resulting V(OC)...
- Optimisation of the purification process of a tumour-targeting antibody produced in N. benthamiana using vacuum-agroinfiltrationRaffaele Lombardi
ENEA, Dipartimento BIOTEC, Sezione Genetica e Genomica Vegetale, C R Casaccia, Via Anguillarese 301, 00123, Rome, Italy
Transgenic Res 19:1083-97. 2010..antibody mAb H10 can be transiently expressed and purified at high levels in Nicotiana benthamiana by using a vacuum-agroinfiltration system boosted by the use of a virus silencing suppressor protein...
- The management of deep sternal wound infections using vacuum assisted closure (V.A.C.) therapyTatjana Fleck
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Int Wound J 3:273-80. 2006A group of international experts met in May 2006 to develop clinical guidelines on the practical application of vacuum assisted closure (V.A.C.)+ therapy in deep sternal wound infections...
- MRI-guided 9-gauge vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: initial clinical experienceLaura Liberman
Department of Radiology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 185:183-93. 2005The objective of this study was to evaluate our initial clinical experience with MRI-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy as an alternative to surgical excision.
- Clinical experience with MRI-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsyConstance D Lehman
Department of Radiology, University of Washington Medical Center, 1959 NE Pacific, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 184:1782-7. 2005The objective of our study was to evaluate a new commercially available method of MRI-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy using an open coil and a closed 1.5-T scanner.
- Inhibition of Listeria innocua growth by antimicrobial-producing lactic acid cultures in vacuum-packed cold-smoked salmonMarisa Vescovo
Istituto di Microbiologia, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Via Emilia Parmense, 84, 29100 Piacenza, Italy
Food Microbiol 23:689-93. 2006..singly or in association to cold-smoked salmon, artificially contaminated with Listeria innocua and stored under vacuum for 30 days at 4 degrees C...
- Temporary closure of open abdominal wounds by the modified sandwich-vacuum pack techniqueP H Navsaria
Trauma Unit, Department of Surgery, Groote Schuur Hospital and the University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Br J Surg 90:718-22. 2003A 5-year experience with the modified sandwich-vacuum pack technique, using an opened 3-litre urological irrigation bag and continuous high-pressure suction, for temporary abdominal wall closure is presented.
- Lactic acid bacteria associated with vacuum-packed cooked meat product spoilage: population analysis by rDNA-based methodsE Chenoll
Departamento de Microbiologia, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
J Appl Microbiol 102:498-508. 2007To determine the lactic acid bacteria (LAB) implicated in bloating spoilage of vacuum-packed and refrigerated meat products.
- Magnetic resonance-guided, vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: results from a European multicenter study of 538 lesionsClaudia Perlet
Department of Breast Imaging and Intervention Radiology, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University Munich, Germany
Cancer 106:982-90. 2006The objective of this study was to determine the accuracy, reproducibility, and clinical value of magnetic resonance (MR)-guided, vacuum-assisted breast biopsy (MR-VAB) in a prospective, multicenter study.
- The use of vacuum-assisted closure of abdominal wounds: a word of cautionM Rao
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Colorectal Dis 9:266-8. 2007b>Vacuum-assisted closure (VAC) has been used in our centre to aid the closure of abdominal wounds. The aim of this study was to examine the clinical outcome of patients in whom VAC therapy had been used in conjunction with laparostomy.
- Freehand MRI-guided preoperative needle localization of breast lesions after MRI-guided vacuum-assisted core needle biopsy without marker placementStephanie M W Y van de Ven
Department of Radiology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:101-9. 2010To evaluate the feasibility of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided preoperative needle localization (PNL) of breast lesions previously sampled by MRI-guided vacuum-assisted core needle biopsy (VACNB) without marker placement.
- Vacuum assisted closure: a review of development and current applicationsK V Lambert
Vascular Surgery Research Group, Division of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Leicester, Robert Kilpatrick Building, Infirmary Square, Leicester, Leicestershire LE2 7ES, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 29:219-26. 2005b>Vacuum assisted closure is being increasingly used for wound management. This review examines the history of its development and appraises the current evidence on its use so far.
- Long-term results after excision of breast mass using a vacuum-assisted biopsy deviceCha Kyong Yom
Department of Surgery, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Pyung Dong Jongro Ku, Seoul, Korea
ANZ J Surg 79:794-8. 2009The excision of breast lesions using an ultrasound-guided vacuum-assisted biopsy device (VABD) is a widely used technique for the diagnosis and treatment of breast disease, but the results of long-term follow-up after VABD excision of ..
- A multi-state Salmonella Typhimurium outbreak associated with frozen vacuum-packed rodents used to feed snakesC C Fuller
Minnesota Department of Health, Acute Disease Investigation and Control Section, St Paul, MN 55164, USA
Zoonoses Public Health 55:481-7. 2008..from the school's science classroom for Salmonella culturing; these included environmental samples and frozen vacuum-packed mice purchased over the internet to feed the classroom snakes...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of two vacuum-assisted breast biopsy systems: Mammotome and VacoraC A Pistolese
Imaging Diagnostics, Molecular Imaging, Interventional Radiology, and Radiation Therapy Department, University Tor Vergata PTV, Rome, Italy
Radiol Med 114:743-56. 2009This study was undertaken to compare the cost effectiveness of two vacuum-assisted breast biopsy devices, the Mammotome and Vacora systems.
- Endoscopic vacuum-assisted closure of upper intestinal anastomotic leaksJochen Wedemeyer
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Endocrinology, Medical School of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 67:708-11. 2008..Established treatment options include percutaneous drainage, endoscopic closure, or even surgical revision. All these procedures are associated with high morbidity and mortality rates...
- New method for sternal closure after vacuum-assisted therapy in deep sternal infections after cardiac surgeryNils Reiss
Clinic for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Heart Center North Rhine Westphalia, Ruhr University of Bochum, Bad Oeynhausen, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 83:2246-7. 2007..A local vacuum therapy (ie, the vacuum-assisted closure system) permits the treatment of deep sternal infections due to ..
- Breast lesions with imaging-histologic discordance during US-guided 14G automated core biopsy: can the directional vacuum-assisted removal replace the surgical excision? Initial findingsMin Jung Kim
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seodaemun ku Shinchon dong 134, Seoul, 120 752, South Korea
Eur Radiol 17:2376-83. 2007The purpose of this study was to determine the frequency of carcinoma at percutaneous directional vacuum-assisted removal (DVAR) in women with imaging-histologic discordance during ultrasound (US)-guided automated core needle biopsy, and ..
- Image-guided breast biopsy: state-of-the-artE A M O'Flynn
South East London Breast Screening Programme and National Breast Screening Training Centre, Kings College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London SE5 9RS, UK
Clin Radiol 65:259-70. 2010..The accuracy of both has been improved by ultrasound and stereotactic guidance. Larger bore vacuum-assisted biopsy devices became available in the late 1990s and are now commonplace in most breast units...
- Comparing conventional gauze therapy to vacuum-assisted closure wound therapy: a prospective randomised trialC M Mouës
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Erasmus University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 60:672-81. 2007b>Vacuum-assisted closure wound therapy (vacuum therapy) has been used in our department since 1997 as a tool to bridge the period between debridement and definite surgical closure in full-thickness wounds...
- One hundred percent fascial approximation with sequential abdominal closure of the open abdomenC Clay Cothren
Department of Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, MC 0206, CO 80204, USA
Am J Surg 192:238-42. 2006..We performed a modification of the vacuum-assisted closure (VAC) technique that provided constant fascial tension, hypothesizing this would result in a ..
- Prospective evaluation of vacuum-assisted closure in abdominal compartment syndrome and severe abdominal sepsisDaniel Perez
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Am Coll Surg 205:586-92. 2007..Recently, the abdominal vacuum-assisted closure (VAC) system has been introduced, providing a new possibility to treat an open abdomen...
- Evaluation and indications of ultrasound-guided vacuum-assisted core needle breast biopsySatoko Nakano
Department of Surgery, Kawaguchi Municipal Medical Center, Kawaguchi City, Saitama, Japan
Breast Cancer 14:292-6. 2007..The Mammotome biopsy has been available in our hospital since July 1999. We assessed the effectiveness and indications of ultrasound-guided Mammotome biopsy...
- Drainage of esophageal leakage using endoscopic vacuum therapy: a prospective pilot studyM Ahrens
Department of General Surgery and Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
Endoscopy 42:693-8. 2010Major leakage from an esophageal anastomosis is a life-threatening surgical complication. Endoscopically guided endoluminal vacuum therapy using polyurethane sponges is a new method for treating such leakage.
- Vacuum-based preservation of surgical specimens: an environmentally-safe step towards a formalin-free hospitalCinzia Di Novi
Dept Of Public Policy and Choice University of Eastern Piedmont, Italy
Sci Total Environ 408:3092-5. 2010..preservation of surgical specimens into formalin to be transferred to pathology labs was replaced by under-vacuum sealing (UVS) tissues into plastic bags and preservation at 4 degrees C until transfer...
- Aspects of native proteins are retained in vacuumBrandon T Ruotolo
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, Lensfield Road, Cambridge, UK
Curr Opin Chem Biol 10:402-8. 2006....
- Nonpalpable breast cancer: percutaneous diagnosis with 11- and 8-gauge stereotactic vacuum-assisted biopsy devicesR F Brem
Department of Radiology, Breast Imaging and Interventional Center, George Washington University Medical Center, 2150 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Radiology 219:793-6. 2001To compare the accuracy of diagnosis of invasive breast cancer with 11- and 8-gauge stereotactic vacuum-assisted biopsy (SVAB) devices and to correlate lesion diameter and accuracy of breast cancer diagnosis at SVAB.
- Successful treatment due to vacuum seal technique of a severe Scedosporium apiospermum skin infection in a renal transplant recipientDoreen Reimann
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Universitatsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus, Fetscherstrasse 74, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:245-8. 2004
- Clinical outcomes of 1,578 Chinese patients with breast benign diseases after ultrasound-guided vacuum-assisted excision: recurrence and the risk factorsShunrong Li
Department of Breast Surgery, Breast Tumor Center, Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou 510120, China
Am J Surg 205:39-44. 2013..The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical outcomes of 1,578 patients with breast benign diseases after excisions and the risk factors...
- Determination of degree of ionization of poly(allylamine hydrochloride) (PAH) and poly[1-[4-(3-carboxy-4 hydroxyphenylazo)benzene sulfonamido]-1,2-ethanediyl, sodium salt] (PAZO) in layer-by-layer films using vacuum photoabsorption spectroscopyQ Ferreira
CEFITEC, Departamento de Fisica, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia, UNL, Campus de Caparica, 2829 516, Caparica, Portugal
Langmuir 29:448-55. 2013....
- AP and vacuum MALDI on a QqLIT instrumentBradley B Schneider
MDS SCIEX, Concord, Ontario, Canada
J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 16:176-82. 2005..article presents a comparative study of the performance, operational, and instrumental characteristics of AP and vacuum MALDI for the analysis of peptides and protein digests...
- Ultrasound-guided diagnostic breast biopsy methodology: retrospective comparison of the 8-gauge vacuum-assisted biopsy approach versus the spring-loaded 14-gauge core biopsy approachStephen P Povoski
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Arthur G, James Cancer Hospital and Richard J, Solove Research Institute and Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
World J Surg Oncol 9:87. 2011..The aim of the current study was to compare and contrast the 8-gauge vacuum-assisted biopsy approach and the spring-loaded 14-gauge core biopsy approach.
- Effects of nisin, EDTA and salts of organic acids on Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella and native microflora on fresh vacuum packaged shrimps stored at 4 °CM N Wan Norhana
School of Agricultural and Food Sciences, University of Queensland, St Lucia, Queensland 4072, Australia
Food Microbiol 31:43-50. 2012..0-5.0 log CFU g⁻¹). Shrimps were then drip-dried, vacuum packaged and stored at 4 °C for 7 days. Untreated shrimps were used as a control. Numbers of L...
- The Vacuum-Assisted Closure (VAC) device for hastened attachment of a superficial inferior-epigastric flap to third-degree burns on hand and fingersChristian Weinand
Division of Burns, Washington Hospital Center, DC, 20010, USA
J Burn Care Res 30:362-5. 2009The vacuum-assisted closure (VAC) device has a wide range of clinical applications, including treatment of infected surgical wounds, traumatic wounds, pressure ulcers, wounds with exposed bone and hardware, diabetic foot ulcers, and ..
- Change of barometric pressure influences low back pain in patients with vacuum phenomenon within lumbar intervertebral discYuichi Kasai
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mie University Faculty of Medicine, Edobashi Tsu, Mie, Japan
J Spinal Disord Tech 15:290-3. 2002The present study investigates whether changes in barometric pressure influence low back pain in patients with vacuum phenomenon within lumbar intervertebral discs...
- Relation of biogenic amines' formation with microbiological and sensory attributes in Lactobacillus-inoculated vacuum-packed rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) filletsPanagiota Katikou
Department of Hygiene and Technology of Animal Origin Products, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 54124 Thessaloniki, Greece
J Agric Food Chem 54:4277-83. 2006The biogenic amine (BA) content of vacuum-packed filleted rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) inoculated or not with two different Lactobacillus strains, individually or in combination, was monitored during refrigerated storage for 20 ..
- Change in the composition of the microflora on vacuum-packaged beef during chiller storageRita M Sakala
Veterinary Public Health II, School of Veterinary Medicine, Azabu University, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Int J Food Microbiol 74:87-99. 2002Five fresh beefcut samples were divided into 10 pieces, respectively, vacuum-packaged and stored at 2 degrees C for up to 6 weeks. The average pH values of five pieces from five beef samples were 5.62 +/- 0...
- Vacuum-assisted biopsy device-diagnostic and therapeutic applications in breast surgeryObi Iwuagwu
Academic Surgical Unit, University of Hull, Castle Hill Hospital, Castle Road, Cottingham, East Riding HU16 5JQ, UK
Breast 13:483-7. 2004..An example of this is the popularization of minimal invasive procedures. The vacuum-assisted biopsy device (VABD) was originally introduced as a diagnostic tool; however, improvement in technology (..
- Ultrasound-guided vacuum-assisted biopsy of microcalcifications detected at screening mammographyNariya Cho
Department of Radiology and Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital and the Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University Medical Research Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Acta Radiol 50:602-9. 2009..g., it offers real-time needle visualization, improves patient comfort, the procedure time is generally considered to be shorter, and it usually does not require ionizing radiation or dedicated equipment...
- Vacuum infusion of plant or fungal pectinmethylesterase and calcium affects the texture and structure of eggplantPanida Banjongsinsiri
Center for Ultrastructural Research, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Agric Food Chem 52:8214-23. 2004The effect of vacuum infusion on eggplant quality of a commercial fungal (Aspergillus niger) and citrus pectinmethylesterase (PME) with calcium chloride (4000 ppm) was investigated after processing and during storage...
- The efficacy of a removable vacuum-cushioned cast replacement system in reducing plantar forefoot pressures in diabetic patientsS A Bus
Department of Rehabilitation, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 24:459-64. 2009The purpose of this study was to determine the plantar forefoot offloading efficacy of a new prefabricated vacuum-cushioned cast replacement system designed for foot ulcer treatment in neuropathic diabetic patients.
- Comparison of vacuum rise time, vacuum limit accuracy, and occlusion break surge of 3 new phacoemulsification systemsYoung Keun Han
Department of Ophthalmology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the Jules Stein Eye Institute, Los Angeles, California 90095 7002, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:1424-9. 2009To compare vacuum rise time, vacuum limit accuracy, and occlusion break surge of 3 new phacoemulsification machines.
- Evaluation of Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System Category 3 mammograms and the use of stereotactic vacuum-assisted breast biopsy in a nonacademic community practiceAngela Mendez
Auxilio Mutuo Cancer Center, Hospital Auxilio Mutuo, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Cancer 100:710-4. 2004..The goals of the current study were to evaluate the use of stereotactic vacuum-assisted breast biopsy (SVABB) for BI-RADS 3 lesions in a nonacademic community hospital-based practice, to ..
- The vacuum phenomenon in intervertebral disc disease of dogs based on computed tomography imagesM K Muller
Department of Small Animal Medicine, University of Leipzig, An den Tierkliniken 23, 04103, Leipzig, Germany
J Small Anim Pract 54:253-7. 2013b>Vacuum phenomenon is suspected to be indicative of disc degeneration and subsequent herniation...
- Relationships between ultimate pH and microbial, chemical, and physical characteristics of vacuum-packaged pork loinsB L Knox
Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Tennessee, 2605 River Drive, Knoxville, TN 37996 4591, USA
J Food Sci 73:M104-10. 2008..life based upon microbial growth, drip loss, and oxidative rancidity (2-thiobarbituric acid [TBA] procedure) in vacuum-packaged loins stored at 4 degrees C. Glucose and lactate concentrations of the pork loins were also measured...
- Surgical endoscopic vacuum therapy for anastomotic leakage and perforation of the upper gastrointestinal tractF Kuehn
Department of General, Thoracic, Vascular and Transplantation Surgery, University of Rostock, Schillingallee 35, 18057 Rostock, Germany
J Gastrointest Surg 16:2145-50. 2012..An endoscopic vacuum therapy (EVT) has been established successfully for anastomotic leakage after rectal resection but only limited ..
- Predictors of invasive breast cancer and lymph node involvement in ductal carcinoma in situ initially diagnosed by vacuum-assisted breast biopsy: experience of 733 casesChiara Trentin
Division of Breast Radiology, European Institute of Oncology, Via Ripamonti 435, Milan, Italy
Breast 21:635-40. 2012To predict presence of invasive component and nodal involvement in women diagnosed preoperatively with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) by vacuum-assisted breast biopsy (VABB).
- The use of vacuum-assisted closure in the management of septic peritonitis in six dogsNicole J Buote
Surgery Department, The Animal Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 48:164-71. 2012..describe the appropriate surgical technique, postoperative monitoring, and complications encountered with use of vacuum-assisted closure (VAC) in six dogs with confirmed septic peritonitis...
- Evidence of nanocrystalline semiconducting graphene monoxide during thermal reduction of graphene oxide in vacuumEric C Mattson
Department of Physics and Laboratory for Surface Studies, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211, United States
ACS Nano 5:9710-7. 2011..GMO has a quasi-hexagonal unit cell, an unusually high 1:1 O:C ratio, and a calculated direct band gap of ∼0.9 eV...
- Phacoemulsification tip vacuum pressure: Comparison of 4 devicesMarielle Payne
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:1374-7. 2006To determine the vacuum pressure generated by 4 phacoemulsification devices measured at the phacoemulsification tip.
- Tissue transfer to pathology labs: under vacuum is the safe alternative to formalinGianni Bussolati
Virchows Arch 452:229-31. 2008
- The impact of vacuum-assisted closure on long-term survival after post-sternotomy mediastinitisJohan Sjögren
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1270-5. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare the long-term survival after vacuum-assisted closure treated mediastinitis following coronary artery bypass grafting with that of patients without ..
- Potential antimicrobials to control Listeria monocytogenes in vacuum-packaged cold-smoked salmon pâté and filletsHudaa Neetoo
Department of Animal and Food Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716 2150, United States
Int J Food Microbiol 123:220-7. 2008..S. and Europe in their efforts to control L. monocytogenes as they are effective against even the most antimicrobial-resistant strains tested in this study...
- Leuconostoc carnosum 4010 has the potential for use as a protective culture for vacuum-packed meats: culture isolation, bacteriocin identification, and meat application experimentsBirgitte Bjørn Budde
Department of Dairy and Food Science, The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Rolighedsvej 30, 4th Floor, DK 1958, Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Int J Food Microbiol 83:171-84. 2003A new culture, Leuconostoc carnosum 4010, for biopreservation of vacuum-packed meats is described. The culture originated from bacteriocin-producing lactic acid bacteria (LAB) naturally present in vacuum-packed meat products...
- Vacuum-assisted closure for defects of the abdominal wallAnthony J DeFranzo
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1075, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 121:832-9. 2008..Ideally, reconstruction should be performed on a nonedematous, clean tissue bed with bacterial levels less than 10 bacteria/cm in a well-nourished patient...
- Stereotactic vacuum-assisted breast biopsies in 500 women with microcalcifications: radiological and pathological correlationsUte Kettritz
Department of Radiology, Berlin Buch Breast Unit, HELIOS Klinikum Berlin Medical Center, Wiltbergstrasse 50, HS 120, 13125 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Radiol 55:270-6. 2005We compared radiological assessment with pathological diagnoses in 500 consecutive vacuum-assisted breast biopsies performed for microcalcifications.
- Vacuum-assisted wound closure for cheaper and more comfortable healing of pressure sores: a prospective studyMarcus B Wanner
Clinic for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 37:28-33. 2003Pressure sores are a common complication of patients with spinal injuries. The vacuum-assisted closure technique is widely used to induce and promote wound healing...
- Early use of vacuum constriction device following radical prostatectomy facilitates early sexual activity and potentially earlier return of erectile functionR Raina
Center for Advanced Research in Human Reproduction, Infertility and Sexual Function, Glickman Urological Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Int J Impot Res 18:77-81. 2006To assess the efficacy of vacuum constriction devices (VCD) following radical prostatectomy (RP) and determine whether early use of VCD facilitates early sexual activity and potentially earlier return of erectile function...
- Flexural properties of fiber reinforced composite using a vacuum/pressure or a manual adaptation manufacturing processM Behr
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, University of Regensburg, 93042, Regensburg, Germany
J Dent 28:509-14. 2000..This study investigated the influence of fiber content and water storage on the flexural strength of beams made of two fiber-reinforced composites (FRC), the Vectris and the FibreKor system...
- Improved Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of cowpea via sonication and vacuum infiltrationSouvika Bakshi
Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati, 781039, Assam, India
Plant Cell Rep 30:2281-92. 2011An improved method of Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of cowpea was developed employing both sonication and vacuum infiltration treatments...
- Vacuum-assisted closure in the treatment of gynecologic oncology wound failuresVeronica L Schimp
Department of Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Gynecol Oncol 92:586-91. 2004Negative pressure wound vacuum therapy can expedite the healing of complex wound failures. Our aim was to evaluate the use of a vacuum-assisted closure (VAC) device to treat complex wound failures in gynecologic oncology patients.
- Low vacuum scanning electron microscopy for paraffin sections utilizing the differential stainability of cells and tissues with platinum blueSumire Inaga
Division of Genome Morphology, Department of Functional, Morphological and Regulatory Science, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 72:101-6. 2009The present study introduces a novel method for the direct observation of histological paraffin sections by low vacuum scanning electron microscopy (LVSEM) with platinum blue (Pt-blue) treatment...
- Milk flow-dependent vacuum loss in high-line milking systems: effects on milking characteristics and teat tissue conditionS Ambord
Veterinary Physiology, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Bern, Switzerland
J Dairy Sci 93:3588-94. 2010To study the effects of a milking system that partially compensates for milk flow-dependent vacuum loss compared with a standard (high-line) milking unit in a tie-stall barn, milk flow and vacuum patterns were recorded in 10 cows during ..
- Use of the vacuum-assisted closure device in enhancing closure of a massive skull defectUmesh S Marathe
Department of Otolaryngology, Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Laryngoscope 114:961-4. 2004..The objective was to describe a novel technique for reconstructing the cranial vertex without the use of free tissue transfer...
- Management of complicated head and neck wounds with vacuum-assisted closure systemBrian T Andrews
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 21200 Pomerantz Pavillion, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Head Neck 28:974-81. 2006The vacuum-assisted closure system (V.A.C.), or negative pressure dressings, has been successfully used to manage complex wounds of the torso and extremities, but its role in the head and neck region has not been frequently described.
- Influence of air intake on the concentration of free fatty acids and vacuum fluctuations during automatic milkingM D Rasmussen
Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Research Centre Foulum, DK 8830 Tjele, Denmark
J Dairy Sci 89:4596-605. 2006..whether the amount of air intake during quarter milking influences the concentration of free fatty acids (FFA) and vacuum fluctuations at the teat end when milking automatically...
- Effect of aspiration vacuum on the developmental competence of immature human oocytes retrieved using a 20-gauge needleShu Hashimoto
IVF Namba Clinic, 1 17 28 Minamihorie, Nishi ku, Osaka, 550 0015 Japan
Reprod Biomed Online 14:444-9. 2007..Immature oocytes were aspirated with 20-gauge needles with a vacuum of 180 or 300 mmHg. Immature oocytes were cultured in IVM medium for 26 h...
- Cupping - is it reproducible? Experiments about factors determining the vacuumR Huber
Center for Complementqry Medicine, Department of Environmental Health Sciences, University Hospital Freiburg, Breisacher Str 115B, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Complement Ther Med 19:78-83. 2011Cupping is a traditional method for treating pain which is investigated nowadays in clinical studies. Because the methods for producing the vacuum vary considerably we tested their reproducibility.
- Intracorporal bone grafting for vertebral compression fractures with intraosseous vacuum phenomenonLih Huei Chen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5 Fu Hsin Street, 333, Kweishan, Taoyuan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Int Orthop 28:52-5. 2004..1998 to January 2000 we treated 14 patients with vertebral osteoporotic compression fractures and intraosseous vacuum phenomenon with intracorporal bone grafting using a mixture of autogenous bone graft and calcium sulfate and ..
- Characterisation of the spoilage microbiota in raw salmon (Salmo salar) steaks stored under vacuum or modified atmosphere packaging combining conventional methods and PCR-TTGESabrina Macé
LUNAM Université, ONIRIS, Univ Nantes, UMR1014 Secalim, Nantes, F 44307, France
Food Microbiol 30:164-72. 2012..stored for 3 days at chilled temperature in modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) (50% CO₂/50% N₂) or under vacuum. Sensory evaluation, microbiological enumeration and chemical analysis were performed after 3, 7 and 10 days of ..
- Sequential therapy of vacuum sealing drainage and free-flap transplantation for children with extensive soft-tissue defects below the knee in the extremitiesRun Guang Li
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510515, PR China
Injury 43:822-8. 2012The aim of the study is to evaluate the surgical technique and clinical significance of the sequential therapy of vacuum sealing drainage (VSD) and free-flap transplantation for children with extensive soft-tissue defects below the knee ..
- Evaluation of implants coated with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2 and vacuum-dried using the critical-size supraalveolar peri-implant defect model in dogsJohn F Decker
Department of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
J Periodontol 81:1839-49. 2010..Thus, the objective of this study is to evaluate the effect of implants fully or partially coated with rhBMP-2 and vacuum-dried using an industrial process on local bone formation and resident bone remodeling.
- MR-guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy using a non-titanium needleMitsuhiro Tozaki
Breast Center, Kameda Medical Center, Kamogawa, Chiba, Japan
Magn Reson Med Sci 6:259-64. 2007..We performed MR-guided vacuum-assisted biopsy (VAB) using a commercially available biopsy device without a nonmagnetic needle in 5 patients with ..
- Evaluation of a standardized micro-vacuum sampling method for collection of surface dustKevin Ashley
U S Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Cincinnati, Ohio 45226 1998, USA
J Occup Environ Hyg 4:215-23. 2007A standardized procedure for collecting dust samples from surfaces using a micro-vacuum sampling technique was evaluated...
- Poststernotomy mediastinitis: a review of conventional surgical treatments, vacuum-assisted closure therapy and presentation of the Lund University Hospital mediastinitis algorithmJohan Sjögren
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:898-905. 2006..b>Vacuum-assisted closure is a novel treatment with an ingenious mechanism...
- Vacuum-assisted closure - a management option for the burns patient with exposed boneN Nugent
Burns Unit, St James s Hospital, James s Street, Dublin 8, Ireland
Burns 31:390-3. 2005
- Preservation of penile length after radical prostatectomy: early intervention with a vacuum erection deviceB L Dalkin
Department of Surgery Urology, Tucson Medical Center, Tucson, AZ 85712, USA
Int J Impot Res 19:501-4. 2007..The purpose of this study was to test whether early intervention after surgery with a vacuum erection device could prevent the changes in penile health, as defined by SPL, found in prior studies...
- Photoionization of epichlorohydrin enantiomers and clusters studied with circularly polarized vacuum ultraviolet radiationSteven Daly
School of Chemistry, University Park, University of Nottingham, NG7 2RD Nottingham, United Kingdom
J Chem Phys 134:064306. 2011..of enantiomerically pure epichlorohydrin (C(3)H(5)OCl) has been studied using linearly and circularly polarized vacuum ultraviolet synchrotron radiation...
- Evaluation of vacuum-assisted closure in the treatment of poststernotomy mediastinitisPatrick W Domkowski
Division of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:386-90. 2003..b>Vacuum-assisted closure uses controlled suction to provide evacuation of wound fluid, decrease bacterial colonization, ..
- Vacuum-assisted closure: state of basic research and physiologic foundationMichael J Morykwas
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1075, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:121S-126S. 2006..the use of subatmospheric pressure to treat wounds is presented, including the original studies upon which the vacuum-assisted closure device was based (on blood flow, granulation tissue formation, bacterial clearance, and survival ..
- Evaluation of natural antimicrobials on typical meat spoilage bacteria in vitro and in vacuum-packed pork meatBjørn Christian Schirmer
Nofima Mat AS, Osloveien 1, N 1430 As, Norway
J Food Sci 75:M98-M102. 2010..Single and combined antimicrobials were added to vacuum-packed pork meat to evaluate preserving effects...
- Vacuum-assisted biopsy diagnosis of atypical ductal hyperplasia and patient managementA Ancona
Unità Operativa di Senologia, Ospedale San Paolo, Contrada Capo Scardicchio, Bari, Italy
Radiol Med 116:276-91. 2011This study sought to evaluate the accuracy of vacuum-assisted biopsy (VAB) in the diagnosis of atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) by determining the rate of VAB underestimation compared with definitive histology...
- Abnormal mammography and sonography associated with foreign-body giant-cell reaction after stereotactic vacuum-assisted breast biopsy with carbon markingM L Ruiz-Delgado
Department of Radiology, Hospital Galdakao Usansolo, Galdakao, Spain
Acta Radiol 49:1112-8. 2008..No significant complications of carbon marking have been reported to date...
- Desorption dynamics, internal energies, and imaging of organic molecules from surfaces with laser desorption and vacuum ultraviolet (VUV) photoionizationOleg Kostko
Chemical Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Chem Asian J 6:3066-76. 2011..Here it is shown that in laser desorption with postionization by tunable vacuum ultraviolet (VUV) radiation, the internal energy gained during laser desorption leads to minimal fragmentation of ..
- Atypical ductal hyperplasia diagnosed at 11-gauge vacuum-assisted breast biopsy performed on suspicious clustered microcalcifications: could patients without residual microcalcifications be managed conservatively?Alessandro Villa
Department of Radiology, DICMI University of Genova, Largo Rosanna Benzi 5, Genova 16132, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 197:1012-8. 2011..it might be safe for women with a diagnosis of atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) at stereotactically guided vacuum-assisted breast biopsy without any residual microcalcification after the procedure to undergo mammographic follow-..
- NIEHS SUPPORT OF THE AHS COHORT STUDY AT NCICharles Knott; Fiscal Year: 2010..A methodological study to compare pesticide levels in dust samples from vacuum cleaner bags, which is a simpler and less expensive approach than the HVSS, provides a reliable indication of ..
- THE AGRICULTURAL HEALTH STUDY - FIELD STATIONSCharles Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2010..A methodological study to compare pesticide levels in dust samples from vacuum cleaner bags, which is a simpler and less expensive approach than the HVSS, provides a reliable indication of ..
- Brain mast cells and Chronic Fatigue SyndromeTheoharis C Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2013..Neuroimmune interactions in CFS are still unknown creating a vacuum in diagnosis and treatment...
- Intrathoracic Pressure Regulator for ResuscitationKeith G Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2011..The decrease in intrathoracic pressure, typically to -7 to -9 mmHg, creates a vacuum within the thorax relative to the rest of the body thereby a) significantly enhancing blood return to the heart ..
- Effectivenss of a New Non-Invasive Erectile Support System in Aging PopulationsS ALEXANDER WEINSTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2012..Solutions include: Over-the-counter chemical remedies, mechanical vacuum devices, still controversial prescribed pills, and more invasive treatments including, transurethral inserts, ..
- Novel non-invasive device for treatment of elevated intracranial pressuresKeith G Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2011..The decrease in intrathoracic pressure, typically to -7 to -9 mmHg, creates a vacuum within the thorax relative to the rest of the body thereby a) enhancing blood return to the heart and consequently ..
- Novel bundled mechanical and pharmacological CPR platformAnja Metzger; Fiscal Year: 2012..IPR generates a continuous negative intrathoracic pressure between positive pressure ventilations which creates a vacuum within the thorax relative to the rest of the body that enhances venous blood return to the heart, increases ..
- Resuscitation using novel impedance threshold devices in pediatricsKeith G Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2013..This novel therapy uses an external vacuum source to lower intrathoracic pressure and a switch to allow for intermittent positive pressure ventilation, as ..
- Brain Vascular Studies in Cardiac and Orthopedic SurgeryWilliam Brown; Fiscal Year: 2009..also determine whether knee prosthesis surgery using a state of the art reaming system, with chilling and rinse- vacuum methodology is safer than traditional bone reaming...
- Brain Vascular Studies in Cardiac and Orthopedic SurgeryDavid Stump; Fiscal Year: 2013..also determine whether knee prosthesis surgery using a state of the art reaming system, with chilling and rinse- vacuum methodology is safer than traditional bone reaming...
- Development of a Topical Choroid Plexus Factor Product to Accelerate Wound HealinCHRISTOPHER GORDON THANOS; Fiscal Year: 2011..Other therapies have been examined, including vacuum-assisted closure devices, biomaterial-based dressings, and growth factor therapies...
- Technology to improve the assessment of tissue-associated protein biomarkersJEFFREY THOMAS MASON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Generally, only open (excisional) biopsy will yield 300 mg of tissue, while the more common vacuum-assisted core needle biopsies yield d 110 mg of tumor tissue...
- Understanding and Eliminating Oncogenic EGFR Signaling in Malignant GliomaAlain Charest; Fiscal Year: 2013..is becoming increasingly clear that signaling pathways are complex and highly dynamic and cannot be studied in a vacuum. This certainly helps define GBM's plasticity and explain failures of targeted therapies for GBMs...
- Childhood Leukemia and Home Environmental ExposuresPatricia A Buffler; Fiscal Year: 2010..In each household, a total of three samples of vacuum-cleaner dust and indoor air (using passive air monitors) will be tested for the respective persistent and volatile ..
- Stress-induced poor sleep: Sex differences, vulnerability &resilience factorsElissa S Epel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Individuals do not exist in a vacuum, and, if partnered, supportive or conflict-laden interactions within a partner dyad can dampen or exacerbate ..
- Nanoscale Optical Fiber Biosensor Assays for Detection of Category A and B SelectThomas J Inzana; Fiscal Year: 2010..These devices can be easily operated by non-specialist personnel and do not require high vacuum, high temperature, organic solvents, or clean-room facilities...
- Wearable Technology for Assessment of Personal Exposure to Volatile Organic CompoStephen L Coy; Fiscal Year: 2011..better than those of mass spectrometry over a large range of chemicals without the need for a complicated, bulky vacuum system...
- 3-Dimensional Imaging of Biomaterials on the Nanoscale with Mass SpectrometryNicholas Winograd; Fiscal Year: 2010..Samples are analyzed without significant chemical usage, and power consumption, associated mostly with vacuum pumps, is modest during and after spectrometer evacuation.
- Intrathoracic Pressure Regulation for the Treatment of Septic ShockKeith Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2009..therapy, and 3) further design work to prototype a variable resistor to allow for adjustments in the intrathoracic vacuum achieved with the IPR and additional design work to prototype a secondary safety mechanism to prevent excessively ..
- Console for an 800/89 DNP SpectrometerROBERT GUY GRIFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The probe has a vacuum jacketed dewar, sample eject capabilities, and includes a waveguide for dynamic nuclear polarization (DNP) ..
- Realtime Multispectral Early Stage Pressure Ulcer DetectorMike Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2010..approach is a novel custom filter mosaic which has been successfully designed and fabricated using lithography and vacuum multi layer film technologies. The filter has been integrated with imaging sensor CMOS and CCD...
- Novel Approaches for Structural Determination of Cancer Stem Cell GlycansKristina Hakansson; Fiscal Year: 2012..these glycans, we will utilize metal-assisted electron capture dissociation, electron detachment dissociation, and vacuum ultraviolet photodissociation, respectively, to increase sugar cross-ring cleavage, which provides linkage ..
- Development of a novel low-cost capillary-based cell and tissue acquisition systeSTANISLAV KARSTEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Here we propose to build a prototype and test the feasibility of a novel capillary-based vacuum-assisted cell and tissue acquisition system (CTAS) that is envisioned as an attachment to inverted microscopes...
- MRI Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) system with low cost, highly stable magMICHAEL J TOMSIC; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, the dewar and vacuum enclosure must be ASME pressure vessel certified in case of an over pressure due to a failed rupture disc...
- Factors Associated with Warfarin Use in Dialysis Patients w/ Atrial FibrillationJAMES BACON WETMORE; Fiscal Year: 2013..practitioners, guideline-forming thought leaders, and healthcare policymakers are operating in an information vacuum. Patterns of warfarin use for stroke prevention in AF have never been reported in a large sample of U.S...
- Rutgers University Cell and DNA Repository RenovationJAY ARNOLD TISCHFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2010..back-up storage site for viable human cells cryopreserved in liquid nitrogen, (2) extension of the existing vacuum-jacketed, stainless steel liquid nitrogen delivery piping in Annex I to accommodate greater numbers of storage ..
- Flat Panel X-ray Sources for Small Animal Cardiac CTMitali J More; Fiscal Year: 2010..The metal x-ray target is a broad and flat W/Cu plate which forms the outer wall of the vacuum envelope...
- Development of a Novel Atmospheric Pressure Glow Discharge for Ambient Mass SpectJUSTIN MICHAEL WISEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..simulations to provide the ideal sampling environment at the interface between the reagent ion gas plume and the vacuum inlet to the mass spectrometer. 3...
- Stress, Appetite, and Smoking RelapseMUSTAFA N AL'ABSI; Fiscal Year: 2013..the role of stress in smoking relapse while taking into account that the effects of stress do not operate in vacuum, and that there is a need to clearly identify interactions of stress effects with other motivational and mood ..
- Development of a Novel Atmospheric Pressure Glow Discharge for Ambient Mass SpectJUSTIN MICHAEL WISEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..simulations to provide the ideal sampling environment at the interface between the reagent ion gas plume and the vacuum inlet to the mass spectrometer. 3...
- 800 MHz Low Temperature Magic Angle Spinning NMR Probe.Robert Griffin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The probe has a vacuum dewar, sample eject capabilities, and includes a waveguide for future low temperature dynamic nuclear polarization ..
- Nucleic Acid Dipstick for Rapid Avian Flu Detection at Point-of-careHong Cai; Fiscal Year: 2009..g. vacuum or centrifugation in nucleic acid extractions, and an expensive and heavy thermal cycler apparatus in nucleic acid ..
- Implementing DRISHTI: Reducing HIV risk among high risk women with depressionToorjo Ghose; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research addresses this vacuum in research and services by designing, implementing and testing the Depression Reduction Implemented by Sex ..
- Renovation of UCHC's Center for Laboratory Animal Care Core FacilitiesMARC E LALANDE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The current process used for bedding removal will be replaced with an efficient, ergonomically designed vacuum bedding removal and automated bedding dispensing system...
- Stabilization Device for Transseptal AccessMARK CHRISTIAN SVENDSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposal, we will validate the ability of a novel, deflectable transseptal access catheter (TSAC) that utilizes vacuum suction technology to provide improved catheter localization and stabilization, easier puncture of the FO, and ..
- Adherence Assessment for SupplementsMichael N Harris; Fiscal Year: 2011..available for this work includes: fume hoods, sterilization ovens, reaction glassware, rotary evaporator, vacuum lines for reactions and distillations, atmosphere controlled glove boxes, heating/stirring mantles, spectrometers (..
- MDEpiNet: MCM (Medical Countermeasures)Art Sedrakyan; Fiscal Year: 2012..Illustrative examples include cardiac pacemakers, ICD, ventricular assist devices, insulin pumps, vacuum assisted closure devices, surgical devices...
- Non-vesicular GABA release via GABA transporter reversalGeorge B Richerson; Fiscal Year: 2011..Thus, accumulating evidence indicates that GABA transporters are not just GABA vacuum cleaners, but play a much more dynamic role in control of brain excitability...
- MOLECULAR AND BIOCHEMICAL STUDY OF COLLAGEN IN PROLAPSEAnthony Visco; Fiscal Year: 2002..risk factors for pelvic floor dysfunction including vaginal parity, increased infant birth weight, forceps and vacuum assisted vaginal delivery, episiotomy and prolonged second stage of labor...
- Dramatic Improvements to the Doubly Labeled Water Technique by Measurement of 17OElena S F Berman; Fiscal Year: 2011..John Speakman, a key developer of the DLW method, to demonstrate a prototype instrument for measurements using vacuum-distilled, clinical samples...
- Low-cost microdissection system for live brain cell collection (CTAS-Live)STANISLAV KARSTEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..acquisition that is based on the use of disposable capillary units (DCU-Live) and short, carefully regulated vacuum impulses...
- Innovative Solid-State Photodetector for Applications in Medical ImagingWoon Seng Choong; Fiscal Year: 2011..PMTs have a number of limitations: they are relatively bulky, they are relatively expensive, they are fragile vacuum tube devices, they have relatively low optical quantum efficiency, and they cannot operate under high magnetic ..
- Barriers to Cervical Cancer Prevention in Hispanic Women: A Multilevel ApproachSheila T Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The current proposal recognizes that individuals do not operate in a vacuum but rather our lives are inextrica- bly intertwined with family, friends, and community...
- Flat Panel X-ray Sources for Digital Breast Tomosynthesis SystemLEIF FREDIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The metal x-ray target is a broad, flat sheet which forms part of the vacuum envelope. Depending on the pitch between emitters, over 10,000 emitters can be patterned per mm2...
- Maintaining Activity and Nutrition through Technology-Assisted Innovation in PrimMARGARET B CONROY; Fiscal Year: 2013..fact that obesity is associated with a host of medical diseases, weight interventions are usually conducted in a vacuum, divorced from the participants'usual medical care and without the input from the primary care team...
- Syndemic Development and HIV Risk Among Vulnerable Young MenBrian Mustanski; Fiscal Year: 2013..The epidemic of HIV among YMSM does not exist in a vacuum. Instead, YMSM experience multiple psychosocial health disparities, including elevated rates of illicit drug use, ..
- Advancing Clinical Diagnostics Through Improved Blood Sample Self-CollectionChristi Parham; Fiscal Year: 2013..patented, and highly durable micro needle array with a revolutionary, miniature, low-cost, electrochemical micro vacuum that will allow controlled and reproducible, transdermal collection of intermediate volumes (0.1-0...
- Intelligent Prosthetic Socket with Variable Volume and Elevated Vacuum SystemsGeorge Papaioannou; Fiscal Year: 2012..This proposal has a two-folded scope: (a) to combine two novel socket technologies (elevated vacuum-EV and variable volume VV system) in order to enable for the first time real-time controllability of socket ..
- Influence of Health Literacy and Cancer among Rural Patients in RehabilitationElizabeth G Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2010..As individuals don't live in a vacuum, it is important to understand the complex interaction of health literacy at multiple levels of interaction from ..
- Medicaid Asthma Home Visit Project- Improving Health and Reducing Costs of HealthJames W Krieger; Fiscal Year: 2011..They will provide participants with tools to reduce exposure to triggers (e.g. a vacuum). Another important role will be provision of instrumental, informational and emotional support...
- Instacortisol: A realtime and continuous assessment of cortisol in ISFMANJU GROVER VENUGOPAL; Fiscal Year: 2012..Fourth and fifth aim being the development of a reliable vacuum microfluidics pump, followed by cortisol sensor housing development as part of the device...
- Understanding US regional health &mortality disparities: A Life Course ApproachScott M Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2013..have generally failed to take a life course perspective, instead treating them as existing in a temporal vacuum. The proposed research will address these shortcomings, first by adopting a life course perspective...
- Structural Biology of Amyloid DiseaseDavid Eisenberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..successful attack on cancer, infectious, and metabolic diseases, treating amyloid diseases has proceeded in a near vacuum of knowledge about the structure and action of the etiologic agents...
- Serial Blockface SEM Labels for Assessing Nervous System PlasticityRICHARD DENIS POWELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..which automates the process of sectioning and imaging blocks of tissue by incorporating a microtome into the vacuum chamber of a scanning electron microscope (SEM)...
- Dopamine signaling of expected outcomes within the striatumJOSHUA L JONES; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Rewards are not procured and consumed in a vacuum. Rather, organisms learn to optimize behaviors through associations formed between relevant environmental stimuli and actions that consistently ..
- Preserving Platelets for storage and transportation using a novel desiccation proDavid H Ho; Fiscal Year: 2012..The technology involves cell specific dehydration and rehydration buffering reagents coupled with vacuum assisted desiccation...
- Accurate Mass Analysis of Singly-Charged Intact ProteinsPeter T A Reilly; Fiscal Year: 2010..quantities (>100 million ions) of massive (1-1000 kDa) singly-charged ions injected from the atmosphere into vacuum and holding them for on-demand injection into an awaiting mass analyzer...
- Electron Microscope for a Multi-User Core FacilityBenjamin S Glick; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) The F30 operates with a high vacuum, and requires 3-5 minutes of down time between each change of samples...
- Sequencing by nanopore mass spectrometryDerek Stein; Fiscal Year: 2012..of a DNA molecule as it translocates the nanopore, and transferred into a mass spectrometer that is housed in a vacuum chamber...
- Micro-technology Enhanced Pediatric Lens Capsulotomy DeviceChristopher Keller; Fiscal Year: 2013..In parallel, as a second aim, we will also develop a compact table-top console to provide power, timing circuits, vacuum, diagnostics, and safety alerts for the casulotomy device...
- Restructuring Biomedical Sciences--Form and Function: Remodeling of Cooley LaborPAULA M LUTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..consist of four floors and a basement that are highly inefficient, with no air supply, centralized cooling, vacuum, or distilled/RO water...
- Multifunctional Scaffold Agitation PlatformTODD A MCADAMS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Many possible solutions to these problems have been examined, including the use of spinner flask, centrifugal, vacuum fixtures, or perfusion for cell seeding...
- Novel device for improving standard CPR outcomesKeith Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2007..and ITD technologies work synergistically to decrease the decompression phase intrathoracic pressure, creating a vacuum within the thorax relative to the rest of the body, thereby a) enhancing blood return to the thorax, b) enhancing ..
- I D AND EVALUATION OF NOISE IN VOC ED LABORATORIESGlen Miller; Fiscal Year: 1990..In order to fill this information vacuum and to prevent risk from noise exposure to vocational education students and instructors, the following objectives ..
- Novel non-invasive treatment for hypotension during hemodialysisAnja Metzger; Fiscal Year: 2007..by providing a small amount of airway resistance during spontaneous inspiration, thereby creating an intrathoracic vacuum that draws venous blood back to the heart each time the patient takes a breath...
- AN INTRA-ORAL SALIVA VACUUMING APPLIANCE FOR SIALORRHEACarrie Brown; Fiscal Year: 2000..of researching, developing and testing the building of two customized intra-oral appliance prototypes that vacuum unwanted saliva from inside the used mouth prior to a saliva spill...
- COMPLETION OF A CENTRALIZED ANIMAL CARE PROGRAMGLEN SPAULDING; Fiscal Year: 1990..the floor surfaces with a seamless poured epoxy floor, and cost- sharing the purchase of 1) a pass-through high-vacuum steam sterilizer, 2) HEPA-filtered laminar airflow workstations and waste management equipment and 3) animal ..
- An Epithermal Neutron Source for Cancer TherapyMELVIN PIESTRUP; Fiscal Year: 2006..Tritium storage, replenishing and recycling will be achieved by a self-contained vacuum system to minimize radiation and explosion hazards...
- Predicting common protein mechanisms by the light of evolutionANDREW NEUWALD; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such hypotheses are not formulated in a conceptual vacuum, however, but rather are based on clues obtained from preliminary observations...
- POLYMERIC PROTECTION OF IMPLANTABLE MICRO-ELECTRONICSPhilip Troyk; Fiscal Year: 1990..2. Evaluating the effectiveness of surface preparation techniques including priming, cleaning, etching, and vacuum bake-out in reducing metallization corrosion through the reduction of electrical leakage currents. 3...
- ELIA Tactile Label MakerANDREW CHEPAITIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., electroforming, thermoforming, manual embossing, vacuum forming), each of which is cumbersome, unreliable or not suited for the consumer market...
- INTEGRATED EM-IMMUNOLABELING INSTRUMENTATIONKathryn Howell; Fiscal Year: 2001..Diatome diamond knives, an Edwards auto 306 high vacuum deposition system configured for electron microscopy, a Bal- Tec Jet Freeze device and a Bal-Tec Freeze ..
- SCANNING TRANSMISSION ELECTRON MICROSCOPE +XRAY ANALYZERMeredith Bond; Fiscal Year: 1990..The Philips microscope was chosen based on its excellent vacuum system, ability to interface with a horizontal X-ray detector with a 20o take-off angle, ease of use in both TEM ..
- Rheolytic Thrombectomy for Treatment of Ischemic StrokeCindy Setum; Fiscal Year: 2001..Rheolytic thrombectomy uses high velocity saline jets to create a localized vacuum at the tip of a catheter for percutaneous thrombus removal...
- DEVELOPMENT OF SKIN FLAP THERAPY DEVICEPATRICK COTTLER; Fiscal Year: 2001..The device design comprises a self-contained vacuum pump, based upon an innovative lightweight actuator, sharp outlets to puncture the skin and draw fluid from the ..
- Identification of ligands that bind to the orphan delta2 receptorStephen Traynelis; Fiscal Year: 2009..the delta2 glutamate receptor subunit is thought to play an important role in brain function yet there is a vacuum regarding what we know about the receptor...
- Portable Continuous Oxygen SystemW Appel; Fiscal Year: 2003..This proprietary system incorporates a rapid vacuum-pressure-swing adsorption process that enables SeQual to provide a PSA unit with both the highest recovery (the ..
- Intrathoracic Pressure Regulator for ResuscitationKeith Lurie; Fiscal Year: 2006..The ITPR attaches to the patient's airway, generates a small but continuous negative intrathoracic vacuum and thereby immediately increases blood pressure by drawing more venous blood back into the heart when not ..
- Biodegradable Polymer Implants for Spinal Cord RepairAnthony Windebank; Fiscal Year: 2006..use computer-aided design to generate the three-dimensional structure of the scaffold and then determine whether vacuum molding or free-form fabrication (micro-printing) produces the best architecture...
- Methyl Mercury Evaluation in Dental Waste WaterJames Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2003..Dental waste water (DWW) stream during the removal of amalgam from the oral cavity through aspiration with high vacuum suction...
- BD Facsaria for use in BSL3Padmini Salgame; Fiscal Year: 2009..The self-contained fluidics cart supplies air pressure and vacuum eliminating the need for an external source...