- Results from the International Conference of Experts on Intra-abdominal Hypertension and Abdominal Compartment Syndrome. I. Definitions
Manu L N G Malbrain
Department of Intensive Care, Ziekenhuis Netwerk Antwerpen, Campus Stuivenberg, Lange Beeldekensstraat 267, 2060, Antwerpen 6, Belgium
Intensive Care Med 32:1722-32. 2006
..The variety of definitions proposed has led to confusion and difficulty in comparing one study to another...
- A dual pressure linear ion trap Orbitrap instrument with very high sequencing speed
Jesper V Olsen
Thermo Fisher Scientific Bremen GmbH, Hanna Kunath Strasse 11, 28199 Bremen, Germany
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:2759-69. 2009
..ion guide with 10-fold higher transfer efficiency in MS/MS mode and 3-5-fold in full scan spectra, by a dual pressure ion trap configuration, and by reduction of overhead times between scans...
- Incidence and prognosis of intraabdominal hypertension in a mixed population of critically ill patients: a multiple-center epidemiological study
Manu L N G Malbrain
Intensive Care Unit Director, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Ziekenhuis Netwerk Antwerpen, Campus Stuivenberg, Lange Beeldekensstraat 267, B 2060 Antwerpen 6, Belgium
Crit Care Med 33:315-22. 2005
..The aim of this study was to assess, in a mixed population of critically ill patients, whether intraabdominal pressure at admission was an independent predictor for mortality and to evaluate the effects of intraabdominal ..
- Developmental patterning by mechanical signals in Arabidopsis
INRA, Laboratoire de Reproduction et Développement des Plantes, 46 allee d Italie, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
Science 322:1650-5. 2008
- Measurement of blast wave by a miniature fiber optic pressure transducer in the rat brain
Trauma and Resuscitative Medicine Department, Naval Medical Research Center, Silver Spring, MD 20910, United States
J Neurosci Methods 159:277-81. 2007
..The aim of this study was to investigate pressure changes induced by exposure to blast inside the rat brain...
- Good urodynamic practices: uroflowmetry, filling cystometry, and pressure-flow studies
International Continence Society Office, Southme Hospital, Bristol, BSIO 5NB, United Kingdom
Neurourol Urodyn 21:261-74. 2002
..This report focuses on the most common urodynamics examinations; uroflowmetry, pressure recording during filling cystometry, and combined pressure-flow studies...
- Direct measurement of cell wall stress stiffening and turgor pressure in live bacterial cells
Department of Physics, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544, USA
Phys Rev Lett 107:158101. 2011
..Escherichia coli cells using atomic force microscopy to separate the contributions of the cell wall and turgor pressure to the overall cell stiffness. We find strong evidence of power-law stress stiffening in the E...
- Different techniques to measure intra-abdominal pressure (IAP): time for a critical re-appraisal
Manu L N G Malbrain
Medical Intensive Care Unit, ACZA Campus Stuivenberg, Lange Beeldekensstraat 267, B 2060 Antwerp, Belgium
Intensive Care Med 30:357-71. 2004
..IAH) or abdominal compartment syndrome (ACS) is heavily dependent on the reproducibility of the intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) measurement technique...
- Electron microscopy of high pressure frozen samples: bridging the gap between cellular ultrastructure and atomic resolution
Institute for Anatomy, University of Bern, Baltzerstr 2, 3000, Bern 9, Switzerland
Histochem Cell Biol 130:877-89. 2008
..Cryofixation by high pressure freezing circumvents many of the artifacts since it allows vitrifying biological samples of about 200 mum in ..
- New in vivo measurements of pressures in the intervertebral disc in daily life
H J Wilke
Abteilung für kräftigungstherapie und Rehabilitation, Schmerzklinik Kirschgarten, Basel, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:755-62. 1999
We conducted intradiscal pressure measurements with one volunteer performing various activities normally found in daily life, sports, and spinal therapy.
- From dynamic live cell imaging to 3D ultrastructure: novel integrated methods for high pressure freezing and correlative light-electron microscopy
Imaging Centre, IGBMC Institut de Génétique et de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire, Illkirch, France
PLoS ONE 5:e9014. 2010
..In cell biology, the study of proteins and organelles requires the combination of different imaging approaches, from live recordings with light microscopy (LM) to electron microscopy (EM)...
- A human knee joint model considering fluid pressure and fiber orientation in cartilages and menisci
K B Gu
Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive, NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
Med Eng Phys 33:497-503. 2011
..In the present study, the fluid pressure and site-specific collagen fiber orientation in the cartilages and menisci were implemented into a finite element ..
- The effect of interstitial pressure on tumor growth: coupling with the blood and lymphatic vascular systems
Department of Mathematics, University of California, Irvine, USA
J Theor Biol 320:131-51. 2013
The flow of interstitial fluid and the associated interstitial fluid pressure (IFP) in solid tumors and surrounding host tissues have been identified as critical elements in cancer growth and vascularization...
- High-pressure freezing provides insights into Weibel-Palade body biogenesis
Helen L Zenner
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, Cell Biology Unit, and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
J Cell Sci 120:2117-25. 2007
..By using high-pressure freezing and freeze substitution before electron microscopy, we visualised VWF tubules in the trans-Golgi network ..
- Interstitial fluid pressure in tumors: therapeutic barrier and biomarker of angiogenesis
Sarah Jane Lunt
Division of Applied Molecular Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital Ontario Cancer Institute, University Health Network, Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Future Oncol 4:793-802. 2008
Interstitial fluid pressure is elevated in virtually all solid malignant tumors as a result of abnormalities of the vasculature and interstitium...
- Biomechanical assessment of brain dynamic responses due to blast pressure waves
M S Chafi
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105 5285, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 38:490-504. 2010
..is a 3-D geometrically realistic configuration that has been previously validated against the brain intracranial pressure (ICP), as well as shear and principal strains under different impact loadings of cadaveric experimental tests of ..
- Results of a pilot study on the effects of propofol and dexmedetomidine on inflammatory responses and intraabdominal pressure in severe sepsis
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Trakya University Medical Faculty, 22030 Edirne, Turkey
J Clin Anesth 21:394-400. 2009
..infusion of propofol and the alpha-2 adrenoceptor, dexmedetomidine, on inflammatory responses and intraabdominal pressure (IAP) in severe sepsis after abdominal surgery, specifically, serum cytokine levels (interleukin [IL]-1, IL-6, ..
- A quantitative pressure and microbubble-size dependence study of focused ultrasound-induced blood-brain barrier opening reversibility in vivo using MRI
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University, New York, NY 10027, USA
Magn Reson Med 67:769-77. 2012
..In this study, we investigate the dependence of the BBB opening's reversibility on the peak-rarefactional pressure (0.30-0...
- Bioinspired self-repairing slippery surfaces with pressure-stable omniphobicity
Tak Sing Wong
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nature 477:443-7. 2011
..restrict their practical applications: limited oleophobicity with high contact angle hysteresis, failure under pressure and upon physical damage, inability to self-heal and high production cost...
- Flexible polymer transistors with high pressure sensitivity for application in electronic skin and health monitoring
Department of Chemical Engineering, Stanford University, 381 North South Mall, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Nat Commun 4:1859. 2013
Flexible pressure sensors are essential parts of an electronic skin to allow future biomedical prostheses and robots to naturally interact with humans and the environment...
- Mechanics of nectar feeding in the orchid bee Euglossa imperialis: pressure, viscosity and flow
Brendan J Borrell
Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3140, USA
J Exp Biol 209:4901-7. 2006
..I tested how nectar properties influence this suction pressure and whether ambient air pressure sets the upper limit for suction feeding...
- Tongue pressure modulation during swallowing: water versus nectar-thick liquids
Catriona M Steele
Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto, ON M5G 2A2, Canada
J Speech Lang Hear Res 53:273-83. 2010
Evidence of tongue-palate pressure modulation during swallowing between thin and nectar-thick liquids stimuli has been equivocal...
- Correlations between controlled endotracheal tube cuff pressure and postprocedural complications: a multicenter study
Department of Anesthesiology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Anesth Analg 111:1133-7. 2010
..In this study, we investigated the short-term (hours) impact of measuring and controlling endotracheal tube cuff (ETTc) pressure on postprocedural complications.
- Sound detection by the longfin squid (Loligo pealeii) studied with auditory evoked potentials: sensitivity to low-frequency particle motion and not pressure
T Aran Mooney
Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA 02543, USA
J Exp Biol 213:3748-59. 2010
..Sound field pressure and particle motion components were measured from 30 to 10,000 Hz and acceleration stimuli were measured from 20 ..
- Pivotal role of cardiomyocyte TGF-β signaling in the murine pathological response to sustained pressure overload
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Clin Invest 121:2301-12. 2011
The cardiac pathological response to sustained pressure overload involves myocyte hypertrophy and dysfunction along with interstitial changes such as fibrosis and reduced capillary density...
- Sensing pressure distribution on a lower-limb exoskeleton physical human-machine interface
Stefano Marco Maria De Rossi
ARTS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025, Pontedera Pi, Italy
Sensors (Basel) 11:207-27. 2011
A sensory apparatus to monitor pressure distribution on the physical human-robot interface of lower-limb exoskeletons is presented...
- Endothelial expression of hypoxia-inducible factor 1 protects the murine heart and aorta from pressure overload by suppression of TGF-β signaling
Vascular Program, Institute for Cell Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:E841-50. 2012
Chronic systemic hypertension causes cardiac pressure overload leading to increased myocardial O(2) consumption. Hypoxia-inducible factor 1 (HIF-1) is a master regulator of O(2) homeostasis...
- Insights into the ecology and evolutionary success of crocodilians revealed through bite-force and tooth-pressure experimentation
Gregory M Erickson
Department of Biological Science, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e31781. 2012
..How these factors relate to biomechanical performance during feeding and their relevance to crocodilian evolutionary success are not known...
- Sensing pressure with ion channels
Laboratory of Ion Channel Research, Department of Cell and Molecular Medicine, Katholieke Universiteit KU Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, O and N 1, Herestraat 49 bus 802, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Trends Neurosci 35:477-86. 2012
..These recent findings allow a better understanding of the molecular basis of molecular and cellular mechanotransduction...
- A flexible sensor technology for the distributed measurement of interaction pressure
The BioRobotics Institute, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025 Pontedera PI, Italy
Sensors (Basel) 13:1021-45. 2013
We present a sensor technology for the measure of the physical human-robot interaction pressure developed in the last years at Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna...
- Creep behavior of the intact and meniscectomy knee joints
Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive, NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 4:1351-8. 2011
..was in agreement with published studies, but also altered the distribution and the rate of dissipation of fluid pressure in the cartilages...
- Intra-abdominal pressure alterations after large pancreatic pseudocyst transcutaneous drainage
Theodossis S Papavramidis
1st Propedeutic Department of Surgery, AHEPA University Hospital, Aristotle s University of Thessaloniki, Macedonia, Greece
BMC Gastroenterol 9:42. 2009
..Aims of the present study were to evaluate the intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) induced by large pancreatic pseudocysts and to examine the effect of their transcutaneous drainage on IAP.
- Pressure-induced metallization of silane
Xiao Jia Chen
Geophysical Laboratory, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Washington, DC 20015, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:20-3. 2008
..Here we report measurements of Raman and infrared spectra of silane under pressure. We find that SiH(4) undergoes three phase transitions before becoming opaque at 27-30 GPa...
- Isolation of a gene regulated by hydrostatic pressure in a deep-sea bacterium
The Agouron Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037
Nature 342:572-4. 1989
..and the specific functional modifications and regulatory mechanisms which govern adaptation to hydrostatic pressure are beginning to be understood...
- Pharyngeal mucosal pressure and perfusion: a fiberoptic evaluation of the posterior pharynx in anesthetized adult patients with a modified cuffed oropharyngeal airway
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Cairns Base Hospital, Australia
Anesthesiology 91:1661-5. 1999
..The authors assess the relation between pharyngeal mucosal perfusion and directly measured mucosal pressure (MP) in the posterior pharynx using a fiberoptic technique with a modified cuffed oropharyngeal airway (COPA)...
- Pain elicited by blunt pressure: neurobiological basis and clinical relevance
R D Treede
Institute of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Saarstrasse 21, D 55099, Mainz, Germany
Pain 98:235-40. 2002
- High-speed pressure clamp
Stephen R Besch
Center for Single Molecule Biophysics, 320 Cary Hall, SUNY at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214, USA
Pflugers Arch 445:161-6. 2002
We built a high-speed, pneumatic pressure clamp to stimulate patch-clamped membranes mechanically...
- Influence of a dynamic stabilisation system on load bearing of a bridged disc: an in vitro study of intradiscal pressure
Institute for Orthopaedic Research and Biomechanics, University of Ulm, Helmholtzstr 14, 89081, Ulm, Germany
Eur Spine J 15:1276-85. 2006
..Intradiscal pressure (IDP) measurements were used to assess the load bearing of the bridged disc...
- Vein recovery from embolism occurs under negative pressure in leaves of sunflower (Helianthus annuus)
Dipartimento di Biologia, Universita di Trieste, Via L Giorgieri 10, 34127 Trieste, Italy
Physiol Plant 133:755-64. 2008
..embolism reversal should not be possible until xylem pressures rise by several kilopascals of atmospheric pressure, but recent evidence suggests that embolized conduits can be refilled even when surrounded by others at ..
- Use of pressure offloading devices in diabetic foot ulcers: do we practice what we preach?
Stephanie C Wu
Scholl s Center for Lower Extremity Ambulatory Research, Rosalind Franklin Universityof Medicine and Science, North Chicago, Illinois, USA
Diabetes Care 31:2118-9. 2008
b>Pressure mitigation is crucial for the healing of plantar diabetic foot ulcers. We therefore discuss characteristics and considerations associated with the use of offloading devices.
- Cold-induced limb pain decreases sensitivity to pressure-pain sensations in the ipsilateral forehead
School of Psychology, Murdoch University, South Street, Perth, Murdoch, WA 6150, Australia
Eur J Pain 13:1023-9. 2009
..In the first experiment, pressure-pain thresholds and sharpness sensations were assessed on each side of the forehead in 45 healthy volunteers ..
- Interstitial fluid pressure as a prognostic factor in cervical cancer following radiation therapy
Seung Gu Yeo
Department of Radiation Oncology, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Clin Cancer Res 15:6201-7. 2009
To investigate tumor interstitial fluid pressure as a prognostic factor for recurrence-free survival in patients with cervical cancer following radiation therapy.
- Combined anti-angiogenic therapy targeting PDGF and VEGF receptors lowers the interstitial fluid pressure in a murine experimental carcinoma
Biomedical Center, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
PLoS ONE 4:e8149. 2009
Elevation of the interstitial fluid pressure (IFP) of carcinoma is an obstacle in treatment of tumors by chemotherapy and correlates with poor drug uptake...
- Variability among electronic cigarettes in the pressure drop, airflow rate, and aerosol production
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:1276-83. 2011
..This study investigated the performance of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes), compared different models within a brand, compared identical copies of the same model within a brand, and examined performance using different protocols...
- Contributions of turgor pressure, the contractile ring, and septum assembly to forces in cytokinesis in fission yeast
Stephen A Proctor
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Curr Biol 22:1601-8. 2012
..Fission yeast, like other walled cells, also possess high (MPa) turgor pressure. Here, we show that turgor pressure is an important factor in the mechanics of cytokinesis...
- Cardiac-specific overexpression of GLUT1 prevents the development of heart failure attributable to pressure overload in mice
Cardiac Muscle Research Laboratory, Whitaker Cardiovascular Institute, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Circulation 106:2125-31. 2002
..Although these changes have been considered part of the fetal gene reactivation program, the functional significance of increased glucose utilization in hypertrophied and failing myocardium is poorly understood...
- Regulator of G protein signaling 5 protects against cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis during biomechanical stress of pressure overload
Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13818-23. 2010
..inhibition of MEK-ERK1/2 signaling, whereas the Rgs5-/- mice displayed the opposite phenotype in response to pressure overload...
- The A118G single nucleotide polymorphism of the mu-opioid receptor gene (OPRM1) is associated with pressure pain sensitivity in humans
Roger B Fillingim
University of Florida College of Dentistry, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Pain 6:159-67. 2005
..Statistical analyses indicated that subjects with a rare allele had significantly higher pressure pain thresholds than those homozygous for the common allele...
- Comparison of simultaneous continuous intracranial pressure (ICP) signals from a Codman and a Camino ICP sensor
Per Kristian Eide
Department of Neurosurgery, The National Hospital Rikshospitalet, 0027 Oslo, Norway
Med Eng Phys 28:542-9. 2006
Simultaneous continuous intracranial pressure (ICP) signals from two different sensors were compared. Continuous ICP monitoring from two ICP sensors (i.e...
- Low-power wireless micromanometer system for acute and chronic bladder-pressure monitoring
Steve J A Majerus
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 58:763-7. 2011
This letter describes the design, fabrication, and testing of a wireless bladder-pressure-sensing system for chronic, point-of-care applications, such as urodynamics or closed-loop neuromodulation...
- Continuous control of tracheal cuff pressure and microaspiration of gastric contents in critically ill patients
Intensive Care Unit, Biochemistry Division, Pathology and Biology Center, University Hospital of Lille, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:1041-7. 2011
- Supersonic shear wave elastography of in vivo pig kidney: influence of blood pressure, urinary pressure and tissue anisotropy
Jean Luc Gennisson
Institut Langevin Ondes et Images, ESPCI ParisTech, CNRS UMR7587, INSERM U979, Paris, France
Ultrasound Med Biol 38:1559-67. 2012
The in vivo influence of renal anisotropy and of urinary and vascular pressure on elasticity values using ultrasonic supersonic shear wave elastography was studied in pigs...
- Effect of prosthetic gel liner thickness on gait biomechanics and pressure distribution within the transtibial socket
Northwestern University Prosthetics Orthotics Center for Education and Research, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 49:227-40. 2012
..b>Pressure and quantitative gait data were acquired while subjects walked on liners of two different uniform thicknesses...
- Key stabilizing elements of protein structure identified through pressure and temperature perturbation of its hydrogen bond network
Division of Structural Biology, Biozentrum, University of Basel, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Nat Chem 4:711-7. 2012
..quantitative characterization of protein hydrogen bonds as a function of the basic thermodynamic parameters of pressure and temperature...
- The effect of taste and palatability on lingual swallowing pressure
Cathy A Pelletier
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Syracuse University, New York, USA
Dysphagia 21:121-8. 2006
..versus high taste concentrations (sweet, sour, salty, bitter) and barium taste samples on lingual swallowing pressure in ten healthy young adults, using a three-bulb lingual pressure array secured to the hard palate...
- A comparison of surface acquired uterine electromyography and intrauterine pressure catheter to assess uterine activity
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maternal Fetal Unit, Meir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Affiliated with Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Am J Obstet Gynecol 206:412.e1-5. 2012
Intrauterine pressure catheter (IUPC) is the primary device used to evaluate uterine activity. In contrast to the IUPC, electrical uterine myography (EUM) enables noninvasive measurement of frequency, intensity, and tone of contractions...
- Transforming growth factor-beta function blocking prevents myocardial fibrosis and diastolic dysfunction in pressure-overloaded rats
Cardiovascular Research Institute and Internal Medicine III, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
Circulation 106:130-5. 2002
Excessive myocardial fibrosis impairs cardiac function in hypertensive hearts. Roles of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta in myocardial remodeling and cardiac dysfunction were examined in pressure-overloaded rats.
- Effects of compost and phosphate on plant arsenic accumulation from soils near pressure-treated wood
Soil and Water Science Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Environ Pollut 132:435-42. 2004
..Caution should be taken for phosphate application since it enhances As accumulation...
- Effects of shoe inserts and heel height on foot pressure, impact force, and perceived comfort during walking
Department of Industrial Management, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, No 43, Kee Lung Road, Sec IV, Taipei, Taiwan, 106 ROC
Appl Ergon 36:355-62. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to determine whether increasing heel height and the use of shoe inserts change foot pressure distribution, impact force, and perceived comfort during walking. Ten healthy females volunteered for the study...
- Forefoot joint damage, pain and disability in rheumatoid arthritis patients with foot complaints: the role of plantar pressure and gait characteristics
M Van Der Leeden
Jan van Breemen Institute, Center for Rehabilitation and Rheumatology, Jan van Breemenstraat 2, 1056 AB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Rheumatology (Oxford) 45:465-9. 2006
To assess (i) the relationship between forefoot joint damage and foot function (expressed as gait and pressure parameters), (ii) the relationship between foot function and pain, and (iii) the relationship between foot function and ..
- Lateral pressure profile, spontaneous curvature frustration, and the incorporation and conformation of proteins in membranes
Max Planck Institut fur biophysikalische Chemie, Abt Spektroskopie, Gottingen, Germany
Biophys J 93:3884-99. 2007
..interactions at the lipid-protein interface, global interactions such as the distribution of internal lateral pressure may also influence protein conformation...
- Interstitial fluid pressure, vascularity and metastasis in ectopic, orthotopic and spontaneous tumours
Sarah Jane Lunt
Ontario Cancer Institute, Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, 610 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2M9, Canada
BMC Cancer 8:2. 2008
High tumour interstitial fluid pressure (IFP) has been adversely linked to poor drug uptake in patients, and to treatment response following radiotherapy in cervix cancer patients...
- The effectiveness of pressure garment therapy for the prevention of abnormal scarring after burn injury: a meta-analysis
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 62:77-84. 2009
..First, to conduct a systematic review to identify the available evidence for the use of pressure garment therapy (PGT); second, to assess the quality of the available evidence; and third, to conduct a meta-..
- A thoracic mechanism of mild traumatic brain injury due to blast pressure waves
A C Courtney
Department of Physics, United States Military Academy, West Point, NY 10996, United States
Med Hypotheses 72:76-83. 2009
The mechanisms by which blast pressure waves cause mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injury (mTBI) are an open question...
- The alpha11beta1 integrin has a mechanistic role in control of interstitial fluid pressure and edema formation in inflammation
Ø S Svendsen
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Haukeland University Hospital, Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 29:1864-70. 2009
Collagen-binding integrins may be involved in controlling interstitial fluid pressure (Pif), transcapillary fluid flux, and tissue fluid volume...
- Rethinking sound detection by fishes
Arthur N Popper
Department of Biology and Center for Comparative and Evolutionary Biology of Hearing, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
Hear Res 273:25-36. 2011
..Moreover, any possible pressure sensitivity is the result of the presence of an air bubble (e.g...
- MG132, a proteasome inhibitor, attenuates pressure-overload-induced cardiac hypertrophy in rats by modulation of mitogen-activated protein kinase signals
Department of Cardiology, the First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai) 42:253-8. 2010
..In conclusion, our results suggested that long-term treatment with MG132 attenuates pressureoverload-induced cardiac hypertrophy and improves cardiac function in AAB rats through regulation of ERK1/2 and JNK1 signaling pathways...
- Sound pressure transformations by the head and pinnae of the adult Chinchilla (Chinchilla lanigera)
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Colorado Medical School, Aurora, CO, USA
Hear Res 272:135-47. 2011
..and psychophysics of audition, including binaural and spatial hearing, little is actually known about the sound pressure transformations by the head and pinnae and the resulting sound localization cues available to them...
- Reduced tongue pressure against the hard palate on the paralyzed side during swallowing predicts Dysphagia in patients with acute stroke
Department of Cerebrovascular Medicine, National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Stroke 41:2982-4. 2010
..The present study investigated the relationship between tongue motor deficits and dysphagia in patients with acute stroke...
- Pressure-induced superconductivity in topological parent compound Bi2Te3
J L Zhang
Beijing National Laboratory for Condensed Matter Physics and Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:24-8. 2011
We report a successful observation of pressure-induced superconductivity in a topological compound Bi(2)Te(3) with T(c) of ∼3 K between 3 to 6 GPa...
- Investigation of hemodynamics in the development of dissecting aneurysm within patient-specific dissecting aneurismal aortas using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations
Kwong Ming Tse
Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576, Singapore
J Biomech 44:827-36. 2011
..of dissecting aneurysm, hemodynamic parameters including flow pattern, velocity distribution, aortic wall pressure and shear stress, which are difficult to measure in vivo, are evaluated using numerical simulations...
- Evaluation and optimization of therapeutic footwear for neuropathic diabetic foot patients using in-shoe plantar pressure analysis
Sicco A Bus
Department of Rehabilitation, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 34:1595-600. 2011
Therapeutic footwear for diabetic foot patients aims to reduce the risk of ulceration by relieving mechanical pressure on the foot. However, footwear efficacy is generally not assessed in clinical practice...
- Foot center of pressure manipulation and gait therapy influence lower limb muscle activation in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 21:704-11. 2011
Foot center of pressure (COP) manipulation has been associated with improved gait patterns...
- Influence of obesity and gender on the postural stability during upright stance
Nora S Cruz-Gómez
Unidad de Investigación Médica en Otoneurología, Mexico D F, Mexico
Obes Facts 4:212-7. 2011
..To assess the influence of BMI group (lean/overweight/obese) and gender on the postural sway of adults and adolescents during quiet upright stance...
- Phloem ultrastructure and pressure flow: Sieve-Element-Occlusion-Related agglomerations do not affect translocation
Daniel R Froelich
School of Biological Sciences, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164 4236, USA
Plant Cell 23:4428-45. 2011
..injury, the lumen of sieve tubes is free of obstructions, and phloem flow is driven by an osmotically generated pressure differential according to Münch's classical hypothesis...
- Measurement of intra-abdominal pressure in term pregnancy: a pilot study
Department of Anesthesia, Foothills Medical Center, AlbertaHealth Services, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Int J Obstet Anesth 21:135-9. 2012
This study was conducted to assess the feasibility of measuring intra-abdominal pressure in term parturients under spinal anesthesia.
- Genetic adaptation of the hypoxia-inducible factor pathway to oxygen pressure among eurasian human populations
Lin dan Ji
State Key Laboratory of Genetic Resources and Evolution, Kunming Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming, China
Mol Biol Evol 29:3359-70. 2012
..thus, whether a common adaptive mechanism exists in response to quantitative variations of environmental oxygen pressure over a wide range of residing altitudes is unknown...
- FIB/SEM tomography with TEM-like resolution for 3D imaging of high-pressure frozen cells
Central Facility for Electron Microscopy, Ulm University, 89069 Ulm, Germany
Histochem Cell Biol 138:549-56. 2012
..High-pressure freezing and freeze substitution, on the other hand, are the gold standards for electron microscopic preparation ..
- Foot type biomechanics part 1: structure and function of the asymptomatic foot
Howard J Hillstrom
Leon Root M D Motion Analysis Laboratory, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, United States
Gait Posture 37:445-51. 2013
..Many foot pathologies are of a biomechanical nature and often associated with foot type. Fundamental to the understanding of foot pathomechanics is the question: do different foot types have distinctly different structure and function?..
- Tourniquet cuff pressure and nerve injury in knee arthroplasty in a bloodless field: a neurophysiological study
Orthopedics Section, Department of Clinical Science and Education, Sodersjukhuset, Sweden
Acta Orthop 84:159-64. 2013
..We describe the results of neurophysiological examinations and report the incidence of nerve injuries after total knee arthroplasty (TKA) in a bloodless field...
- Intrasession reliability of center of pressure measures of postural steadiness in healthy elderly people
Department of Kinesiology, University of Montreal, Downtown Station, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:896-901. 2004
To estimate the immediate test-retest reliability of a single measure of several center of pressure (COP) variables, to report the number of trials to be averaged to obtain a reliable measurement of postural steadiness, and to determine ..
- Weakly acidic reflux in patients with chronic unexplained cough during 24 hour pressure, pH, and impedance monitoring
Faculty of Medicine, KU Leuven, Lab G I Physiopathology, O and N Gasthuisberg, 7th Floor, Herestraat 49, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Gut 54:449-54. 2005
..Less acidic reflux may produce symptoms such as regurgitation or chest pain. We investigated whether chronic cough might be associated with weakly acidic reflux...
- Drug nanocrystals of poorly soluble drugs produced by high pressure homogenisation
Cornelia M Keck
PharmaSol GmbH, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 62:3-16. 2006
..by bottom up techniques (precipitation) is briefly described, main focus is given on particle diminution by high pressure homogenisation...
- A psychophysical study of auditory and pressure sensitivity in patients with fibromyalgia and healthy controls
Michael E Geisser
Chronic Pain and Fatigue Research Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108, USA
J Pain 9:417-22. 2008
..We hypothesized that subjects with FM would display greater sensitivity to both pressure and auditory tones and report greater sensitivity to sounds encountered in daily activities...
- The impact of body position on intra-abdominal pressure measurement: a multicenter analysis
Michael L Cheatham
Department of Surgical Education, Orlando Regional Medical Center, Orlando, FL, USA
Crit Care Med 37:2187-90. 2009
Elevated intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) is a frequent cause of morbidity and mortality among the critically ill. IAP is most commonly measured using the intravesicular or "bladder" technique...
- Gender differences in pressure-natriuresis and renal autoregulation: role of the Angiotensin type 2 receptor
Lucinda M Hilliard
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Victoria, Australia, 3800
Hypertension 57:275-82. 2011
Sexual dimorphism in arterial pressure regulation has been observed in humans and animal models. The mechanisms underlying this gender difference are not fully known...
- Does femoral venous pressure measurement correlate well with intrabladder pressure measurement? A multicenter observational trial
Bart L De Keulenaer
Intensive Care Unit, Fremantle Hospital, 1 Alma Street, Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia
Intensive Care Med 37:1620-7. 2011
To investigate if femoral venous pressure (FVP) measurement can be used as a surrogate measure for intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) via the bladder.
- Application of supercritical antisolvent method in drug encapsulation: a review
Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University Putra Malaysia, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 6:1429-42. 2011
..polymeric controlled release system, and discusses the effects of the various conditions in the process, such as pressure, temperature, concentration, chemical compositions (organic solvents, drug, and biodegradable polymer), nozzle ..
- Role of membrane fluidity in pressure resistance of Escherichia coli NCTC 8164
M A Casadei
School of Food Biosciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:5965-72. 2002
The relationship among growth temperature, membrane fatty acid composition, and pressure resistance was examined in Escherichia coli NCTC 8164...
- The role of limited joint mobility in diabetic patients with an at-risk foot
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Bethesda, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Düsseldorf, Medizinische Klinik I, Duisburg, Germany
Diabetes Care 27:942-6. 2004
..To assess the role of limited joint mobility (LJM) in causing abnormal high plantar pressures in the forefoot of diabetic patients with an at-risk foot...
- A large-area, flexible pressure sensor matrix with organic field-effect transistors for artificial skin applications
Quantum Phase Electronics Center, School of Engineering, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8656, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:9966-70. 2004
..Despite this fact, relatively little progress has been made in the field of pressure recognition compared to the areas of sight and voice recognition, mainly because good artificial "electronic skin"..
- Predicting the outcome of prostatectomy using noninvasive bladder pressure and urine flow measurements
Department of Urology, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Eur Urol 52:186-92. 2007
To determine whether categorisation of bladder outlet obstruction (BOO) using measurements of bladder pressure and urine flow obtained by a novel noninvasive medical device (the penile cuff test) improves prediction of outcome from ..
- Regulator or driving force? The role of turgor pressure in oscillatory plant cell growth
Jens H Kroeger
Department of Physiology, Centre for Nonlinear Dynamics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 6:e18549. 2011
..An analytic analysis of our model demonstrates in which regime the average growth rate becomes uncorrelated from the turgor pressure.
- Down-regulation of OPA1 alters mouse mitochondrial morphology, PTP function, and cardiac adaptation to pressure overload
INSERM, U 769, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Paris Sud, 5 rue J B Clement, F 92296 Chatenay Malabry, France
Cardiovasc Res 94:408-17. 2012
..Despite its high level of expression, the role of OPA1 in the heart is largely unknown. We investigated the role of this protein in Opa1(+/-) mice, having a 50% reduction in OPA1 protein expression in cardiac tissue...
- Synergistic interaction and the role of C-terminus in the activation of TRAAK K+ channels by pressure, free fatty acids and alkali
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Finch University of Health Sciences, Chicago Medical School, 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, IL 60064, USA
Pflugers Arch 442:64-72. 2001
..we studied its single-channel kinetics, interactive modes of activation, and the role of the C-terminus on its pressure-, fatty-acid- and pH-sensitivity...
- Estimation of inspiratory pressure drop in neonatal and pediatric endotracheal tubes
P H Jarreau
Service de Medecine Neonatale, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Cochin Port Royal, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris Université Paris V, 75014 Paris, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 87:36-46. 1999
Endotracheal tubes (ETTs) constitute a resistive extra load for intubated patients. The ETT pressure drop (DeltaP(ETT)) is usually described by empirical equations that are specific to one ETT only...
- Clinical and physiological findings, and possible aetiological factors of rectal hyposensitivity
M A Gladman
Academic Department of Surgery and Gastrointestinal Physiology Unit, St Bartholomew s and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Br J Surg 90:860-6. 2003
..Rectal hyposensitivity (RH) relates to insensitivity of the rectum on anorectal physiological investigation and appears common in functional bowel disorders. The clinical significance of this physiological abnormality is unclear...
- Muscle synergies during shifts of the center of pressure by standing persons: identification of muscle modes
Department of Kinesiology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Biol Cybern 89:152-61. 2003
..Four tasks required the subjects to release a load from extended arms leading to a center of pressure (COP) shift prior to the load release. The fifth task required an explicit COP shift by voluntary sway...
- Rectal hyposensitivity: a disorder of the rectal wall or the afferent pathway? An assessment using the barostat
Marc A Gladman
Centre for Academic Surgery Gastrointestinal Physiology Unit, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Whitechapel, London E1 1BB, United Kingdom
Am J Gastroenterol 100:106-14. 2005
..The aim of this study was to investigate whether RH was actually due to impaired afferent nerve function or whether it could be secondary to abnormalities of the rectal wall...
- Tongue movement and intra-oral vacuum in breastfeeding infants
Donna T Geddes
The University of Western Australia, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Biomedical, Biomolecular and Chemical Sciences, Faculty of Life and Physical Sciences, Australia
Early Hum Dev 84:471-7. 2008
..The aim of this study was to use ultrasound to observe movements of the tongue during breastfeeding and relate these movements to both milk flow and simultaneous measurements of intra-oral vacuum...
- Age-related differences in pain sensitivity and regional brain activity evoked by noxious pressure
Leonie J Cole
Howard Florey Institute, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3010, Australia
Neurobiol Aging 31:494-503. 2010
..the effects of ageing on supraspinal pain processing by comparing regional brain responses to noxious pressure stimulation in 15 young (aged 26+/-3 years) and 15 older (aged 79+/-4 years) adults...