Genomes and Genes
Summary: A change of a substance from one form or state to another.
Publications303 found, 100 shown here
- Low-temperature synthesis of gamma-alumina nanocrystals from aluminum acetylacetonate in nonaqueous mediaShuxue Zhou
Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Colloid Department, Research Campus Golm, Potsdam, Germany
Small 3:763-7. 2007
- Separation of liquid phases in giant vesicles of ternary mixtures of phospholipids and cholesterolSarah L Veatch
Departments of Chemistry and Physics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 1700, USA
Biophys J 85:3074-83. 2003..To date, we have not observed macroscopic separation of liquid phases in only binary lipid mixtures...
- Sphingomyelin/phosphatidylcholine/cholesterol phase diagram: boundaries and composition of lipid raftsRodrigo F M de Almeida
Centro de Quimica Fisica Molecular, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Universidade Tecnica de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Biophys J 85:2406-16. 2003..The diagrams here described are used to rationalize literature results, some of them apparently discrepant, and to discuss lipid rafts within the framework of liquid-ordered/liquid-disordered phase coexistence...
- Characterization of the in situ structural and interfacial properties of the cationic hydrophobic heteropolypeptide, KL4, in lung surfactant bilayer and monolayer models at the air-water interface: implications for pulmonary surfactant deliveryHeidi M Mansour
Division of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
Mol Pharm 5:681-95. 2008..Equilibrium phase transition temperatures were measured using differential scanning calorimetry (DSC)...
- Synthesis and characterization of PEG-PCL-PEG thermosensitive hydrogelChangYang Gong
State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, and School of Life Sciences, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Int J Pharm 365:89-99. 2009..Sol-gel-sol phase transition diagrams were recorded using test tube inverting method, which depended on hydrophilic/hydrophobic balance in ..
- Phase transition in the collective migration of tissue cells: experiment and modelB Szabo
Department of Biological Physics, Eotvos University, Pázmány P stny 1A, H 1117 Budapest, Hungary
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 74:061908. 2006..the overall density of the migrating cells, we have been able to demonstrate experimentally a kinetic phase transition from a disordered into an ordered state...
- Relationships between equilibrium spreading pressure and phase equilibria of phospholipid bilayers and monolayers at the air-water interfaceHeidi M Mansour
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin Madison, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53705 2222, USA
Langmuir 23:3809-19. 2007..2 mN/m forming equilibrated gaseous monolayers, whereas spread monolayers collapse at a value of pic remaining around 30 mN/m, indicative of metastable gel bilayer formation...
- Prediction of TiO2 nanoparticle phase and shape transitions controlled by surface chemistryA S Barnard
Center for Nanoscale Materials, Materials Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, 9700 South Cass Ave, Argonne, Illinois 60439, USA
Nano Lett 5:1261-6. 2005..The latter introduces the possibility of inducing phase transitions by changing the surface chemistry...
- Cancer as a dynamical phase transitionPaul Cw Davies
BEYOND Center for Fundamental Concepts in Science, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 1504, USA
Theor Biol Med Model 8:30. 2011..A number of implications for preventative and therapeutic strategies are outlined...
- Conformational and hydrational properties during the L(beta)- to L(alpha)- and L(alpha)- to H(II)-phase transition in phosphatidylethanolamineMichael Rappolt
Institute of Biophysics and Nanosystems Research, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Graz, Austria
Chem Phys Lipids 154:46-55. 2008..9 degrees C with an enthalpy of 28.5 kJ/mol and the lamellar-to-inverse hexagonal phase transition temperature, T(hex), at 61.6 degrees C with an enthalpy of 3.8 kJ/mol...
- Large-scale fluid/fluid phase separation of proteins and lipids in giant plasma membrane vesiclesTobias Baumgart
School of Applied and Engineering Physics and Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:3165-70. 2007..Thus, GPMVs now provide an effective approach to characterize biological membrane heterogeneities...
- Molecular self-assembly and patterning induced by sound waves. The case of gelationGiancarlo Cravotto
Dipartimento di Scienza e Tecnologia del Farmaco, Universita di Torino, via P Giuria 9, I 10125 Torino, Italy
Chem Soc Rev 38:2684-97. 2009..Given the importance of supramolecular assemblies, especially hydrogels, as biomaterials and vehicles for drug transport and delivery, sound waves thus provide a facile entry to new forms of soft matter and functionalized materials...
- The relationship between water vapor absorption and desorption by phospholipids and bilayer phase transitionsHeidi M Mansour
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin Madison, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53705 2222, USA
J Pharm Sci 96:377-96. 2007Water vapor absorption and desorption at 25 degrees C and phase transition temperatures of phospholipid bilayers were measured as a function of relative humidity (RH) to better understand how the patterns of water vapor absorption and ..
- Sphingomyelin-cholesterol domains in phospholipid membranes: atomistic simulationSagar A Pandit
Department of Biological, Chemical, and Physical Sciences, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois 60616, USA
Biophys J 87:1092-100. 2004..The calculated difference in thickness is consistent with data obtained in atomic force microscopy experiments...
- Lipid lateral diffusion in ordered and disordered phases in raft mixturesAndrey Filippov
Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Biophys J 86:891-6. 2004..This means that on the millisecond timescale fluid, ordered domains are floating around in a sea of faster diffusing lipids, assigned to consist of mainly dioleoylphosphatidylcholine...
- Condensed complexes in vesicles containing cholesterol and phospholipidsArun Radhakrishnan
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9046, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:12662-6. 2005..Model calculations of phospholipid order parameters account for several features of the deuterium NMR spectra of labeled phospholipid molecules in bilayer mixtures with cholesterol...
- Comparison of DPPC and DPPG environments in pulmonary surfactant modelsMichael R Morrow
Department of Physics and Physical Oceanography, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, Canada
Biophys J 93:164-75. 2007....
- Acute toxicity evaluation of biodegradable in situ gel-forming controlled drug delivery system based on thermosensitive PEG-PCL-PEG hydrogelChang Yang Gong
State Key Laboratory of Biotherapy, West China Hospital, and School of Life Science, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 91:26-36. 2009..The results indicated that the prepared PECE hydrogel was nontoxic after intrapleural, intraperitoneal, or subcutaneous administration, and it could be a safe candidate for in situ gel-forming controlled drug delivery system...
- In situ TEM investigation of congruent phase transition and structural evolution of nanostructured silicon/carbon anode for lithium ion batteriesChong Min Wang
Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Washington 99352, USA
Nano Lett 12:1624-32. 2012..We found the crystallization of Li(15)Si(4) from amorphous Li(x)Si is a spontaneous, congruent phase transition process without phase separation or large-scale atomic motion, which is drastically different from what is ..
- Quantum phase transition from superparamagnetic to quantum superparamagnetic state in ultrasmall Cd(1-x)Cr(II)(x)Se quantum dots?Weiwei Zheng
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306 4390, USA
J Am Chem Soc 134:2172-9. 2012..Surprisingly, a low-temperature phase transition is observed at 20 K that is believed to reflect the onset of long-range ordering of the single-domain DMSQD.
- Synthesis of a metal oxide with a room-temperature photoreversible phase transitionShin Ichi Ohkoshi
Department of Chemistry, School of Science, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Nat Chem 2:539-45. 2010..Here we report a photoreversible metal-semiconductor phase transition at room temperature with a unique phase of Ti(3)O(5), lambda-Ti(3)O(5)...
- Contribution of lysine-containing cationic domains to thermally-induced phase transition of elastin-like proteins and their sensitivity to different stimuliWon Bae Jeon
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Cellular Engineering, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology, Daegu, Korea
BMB Rep 44:22-7. 2011..hydrophobic aggregates was monitored in order to determine the influence of cationic segments on phase transition properties as well as the sensitivity to changes in salt and pH...
- The inverse hexagonal - inverse ribbon - lamellar gel phase transition sequence in low hydration DOPC:DOPE phospholipid mixturesBen Kent
Applied Physics, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, VIC 3000, Australia
Chem Phys Lipids 157:56-60. 2009The inverse hexagonal to inverse ribbon phase transition in a mixed phosphatidylcholine-phosphatidylethanolamine system at low hydration is studied using small and wide angle X-ray scattering...
- Phase behavior of an equimolar mixture of N-palmitoyl-D-erythro-sphingosine, cholesterol, and palmitic acid, a mixture with optimized hydrophobic matchingElana Brief
Department of Physics, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Langmuir 25:7523-32. 2009..Therefore, it is inferred that, in SC, the chain heterogeneity is a stronger criteria for lipid miscibility than chain hydrophobic matching...
- SAXS investigation of a cubic to a sponge (L3) phase transition in self-assembled lipid nanocarriersBorislav Angelov
Department of Chemistry and iNANO Interdisciplinary Nanoscience Centre, Aarhus University, 8000 Arhus, Denmark
Phys Chem Chem Phys 13:3073-81. 2011....
- Stratum corneum hydration: phase transformations and mobility in stratum corneum, extracted lipids and isolated corneocytesC L Silva
Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade de Coimbra, 3004 535, Coimbra, Portugal
Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:2647-59. 2007..v) The hydration causes swelling in the corneocytes, while it does not affect the mobility of solid components (keratin filaments)...
- Single-molecule study of the DNA denaturation phase transition in the force-torsion spaceD Salerno
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, Universita degli Studi di Milano Bicocca, Via Cadore 48, Monza MB 20900, Italy
Phys Rev Lett 109:118303. 2012..The model correctly describes the position of the denaturation regions, the transition boundaries, and the measured values of the DNA extension fluctuations...
- Wurtzite to zinc blende phase transition in GaAs nanowires induced by epitaxial buryingGilles Patriarche
Laboratoire de Photonique et de Nanostructures, CNRS, Marcoussis, France
Nano Lett 8:1638-43. 2008..We consider two possible mechanisms for the structural transition upon burying, examine how they can be discriminated from each other, and explain why the transition is favorable...
- Phase-change contrast agents for imaging and therapyPaul S Sheeran
Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Curr Pharm Des 18:2152-65. 2012..Factors that influence the design of PCCAs are discussed, as well as the need for future studies to characterize potential bioeffects for administration in humans and optimization of ultrasound parameters...
- Blood-pool multifunctional nanoparticles formed by temperature-induced phase transition for cancer-targeting therapy and molecular imagingKeun Sang Oh
Center for Theragnosis, Biomedical Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, Hwarangno 14 gil 5, Seongbuk gu, Seoul 136 791, Republic of Korea
Int J Pharm 437:192-202. 2012Multifunctional nanoparticles (NPs) were prepared based on temperature-induced phase transition in a molten mixture of Lipiodol(®), Tween 80, paclitaxel (PTX), and Pluronic F-68, wherein the Lipiodol(®)/Tween 80 mixture is used as a ..
- Phase transition in spin systems with various types of fluctuationsSeiji Miyashita
Department of Physics, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Proc Jpn Acad Ser B Phys Biol Sci 86:643-66. 2010..Generally, the so-called order-disorder phase transition takes place in competition between the interaction causing the system be ordered and the entropy causing a ..
- Impact of phase transition on the mouse oocyte spindle during vitrificationChing Chien Chang
Reproductive Biology Associates, Atlanta, GA, USA
Reprod Biomed Online 22:184-91. 2011During vitrification, the glass-like solidification is the phase-transition process from liquid to solid. Phase transition is one of the major factors suspected to affect the physiology of the oocyte, such as the structure of the meiotic ..
- Pressure effect on the bilayer phase transition of asymmetric lipids with an unsaturated acyl chainKaori Tada
Department of Biological Science and Technology, The University of Tokushima, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1189:77-85. 2010..Thermodynamic properties associated with the bilayer phase transition were discussed.
- Slow relaxation dynamics of water in hydroxypropyl cellulose-water mixture traces its phase transition pathway: a spectroscopic investigationAnimesh Patra
Unit for Nano Science and Technology, Department of Chemical Biological and Macromolecular Sciences, S N Bose National Centre For Basic Sciences, Block JD, Sector III, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700098, India
J Phys Chem B 116:1508-16. 2012..The observed results are correlated with a transition between the 'bulk' and 'bound' type of water molecules present in the system...
- Hierarchies of networked phases induced by multiple liquid-liquid critical pointsChia Wei Hsu
Department of Physics, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT 06459, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13711-5. 2008..The concept of network interpenetration helps to explain the generation of multiple liquid phases in single-component systems, suggested to occur in some atomic and molecular network-forming fluids, including water and silica...
- Polarization transfer solid-state NMR for studying surfactant phase behaviorAgnieszka Nowacka
Physical Chemistry, POB 124, Lund University, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Langmuir 26:16848-56. 2010..Replacing the succinate counterion with DNA prevents the formation of phases other than hexagonal and leads to a general increase of τ(c)...
- Design of ultrasonically-activatable nanoparticles using low boiling point perfluorocarbonsPaul S Sheeran
Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering, The University of North Carolina and North Carolina State University, 304 Taylor Hall, CB 7575, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Biomaterials 33:3262-9. 2012..Results demonstrate the potential for low boiling point PFCs as a useful new class of compounds for activatable agents, which can be tailored to the desired application...
- Effect of ethanol, temperature, and gas flow rate on volatile release from aqueous solutions under dynamic headspace dilution conditionsMaroussa Tsachaki
Samworth Flavor Laboratory, Division of Food Sciences, School of Biosciences, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Loughborough LE12 5RD, United Kingdom
J Agric Food Chem 56:5308-15. 2008....
- Chemical and mechanical impact of silica nanoparticles on the phase transition behavior of phospholipid membranes in theory and experimentC Westerhausen
Experimental Physics I, Institute of Physics and Augsburg Center for Innovative Technologies, Augsburg, Germany
Biophys J 102:1032-8. 2012..We demonstrate that silica NPs have at least two independent effects on the phase transition of phospholipid membranes: 1), a chemical effect resulting from the finite instability of the NPs in water; ..
- Changes in single K(+) channel behavior induced by a lipid phase transitionHeiko M Seeger
Centro S3, CNR Istituto Nanoscienze, Modena, Italy
Biophys J 99:3675-83. 2010....
- Pressure-induced shape change of phospholipid vesicles: implication of compression and phase transitionJ M Perrier-Cornet
Laboratoire de Genie des Procedes Alimentaires et Biotechnologiques, E N S B A N A, 1, Esplanade Erasme, 21000 Dijon, France
J Membr Biol 204:101-7. 2005..The thermotropic main phase transition (L alpha to P beta') of the different vesicles prepared was determined under pressure through a ..
- Stoichiometry engineering of monoclinic to rutile phase transition in suspended single crystalline vanadium dioxide nanobeamsShixiong Zhang
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, United States
Nano Lett 11:1443-7. 2011..the rutile phase to temperatures as low as 103 K, which represents an unprecedented suppression of the phase transition by 238 K...
- Diisopropylammonium chloride: a ferroelectric organic salt with a high phase transition temperature and practical utilization level of spontaneous polarizationDa Wei Fu
Ordered Matter Science Research Center, Southeast University, Nanjing, 211196, P R China
Adv Mater 23:5658-62. 2011A simple organic salt, diisopropylammonium chloride, shows the highest ferroelectric phase transition temperature among molecule-based ferroelectrics with a large spontaneous polarization, making it a candidate for practical technological ..
- A peculiar phase transition of plasmalogen bilayer membrane under high pressureAgnieszka Broniec
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biotechnology, Jagiellonian University, Gronostajowa 7, 30 387 Krakow, Poland
Langmuir 25:11265-8. 2009The bilayer phase transition of plasmalogen, monounsaturated plasmenylcholine 1-O-1'-(Z)-octadecenyl-2-oleoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine (Plg-SOPC), was examined by differential scanning calorimetry, high-pressure transmittance, and ..
- Size-dependent structural transformations of hematite nanoparticles. 1. Phase transitionI V Chernyshova
The Center for NanoBioEarth, Department of Geosciences, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Phys Chem Chem Phys 9:1736-50. 2007..The critical size for the onset of the alpha-->gamma phase transition depends on the particle environment, and for the dry particles used in this study is about 40 nm...
- Thermal decomposition of struvite and its phase transitionM Iqbal H Bhuiyan
University of British Columbia, Department of Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering Group, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Chemosphere 70:1347-56. 2008..It was transformed into monohydrate, dittmarite by losing its five water molecules of crystallization, when boiled in excess water...
- Soft perforation of planar bilayer lipid membranes of dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine at the temperature of the phase transition from the liquid crystalline to the gel stateValerij F Antonov
Department of Medical and Biological Physics, Sechenov Moscow Medical Academy, Russia
Eur Biophys J 34:155-62. 2005..structural rearrangement of the lipid bilayer formed from disaturated phospholipids at the temperature of the phase transition from the liquid crystalline state to the gel state...
- Porous bioactive nanostructured scaffolds for bone regeneration: a sol-gel solutionOliver Mahony
Imperial College London, Department of Materials, South Kensington Campus, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Nanomedicine (Lond) 3:233-45. 2008..Composites provide a partial solution to this problem, although their bioactive and degradation properties are not ideal, therefore novel nanocomposites are needed. The route to these potentially ideal materials is described...
- Ferroelectric phase transition in individual single-crystalline BaTiO3 nanowiresJonathan E Spanier
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nano Lett 6:735-9. 2006We report scanned probe characterizations of the ferroelectric phase transition in individual barium titanate (BaTiO3) nanowires...
- Detergents destabilize the cubic phase of monoolein: implications for membrane protein crystallizationY Misquitta
Biophysics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Biophys J 85:3084-96. 2003..These effects have important implications for in meso crystallization. A diffraction-based method for assaying detergents is presented...
- Lessons of slicing membranes: interplay of packing, free area, and lateral diffusion in phospholipid/cholesterol bilayersEmma Falck
Laboratory of Physics and Helsinki Institute of Physics, Helsinki University of Technology, Helsinki, Finland and Wihuri Research Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Biophys J 87:1076-91. 2004..Summarizing, our results highlight the central role of free area in comprehending the structural and dynamic properties of membranes containing cholesterol...
- Characterization of liposomal tacrolimus in lung surfactant-like phospholipids and evaluation of its immunosuppressive activityOlga Cañadas
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, Complutense University of Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Biochemistry 43:9926-38. 2004..FK506 hardly affected the transition enthalpy, the T(m), and cooperativity of the phase transition of DPPC and DPPC/POPG vesicles as determined by differential scanning calorimetry and steady-state 1,6-..
- Neat DODAB vesicles: Effect of sonication time on the phase transition thermodynamic parameters and its relation with incomplete chain freezingR O Brito
Centro de Investigacao em Quimica, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, University of Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre 687, P 4169 007 Porto, Portugal
Chem Phys Lipids 137:18-28. 2005..are found in the literature for the thermodynamic parameters of the gel-to-liquid crystal (gel-lc) phase transition of these vesicles...
- Morphological behavior of lipid bilayers induced by melittin near the phase transition temperatureShuichi Toraya
Graduate School of Engineering, Yokohama National University, Yokohama 240 8501, Japan
Biophys J 89:3214-22. 2005..bilayers containing melittin (lecithin/melittin molar ratio of 10:1) around the gel-to-liquid crystalline phase transition temperatures (Tc) were examined by a variety of biophysical methods...
- Phase transition in random catalytic networksRudolf Hanel
Institute of Physics, University of Antwerp, Groenenborgerlaan 171, 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 72:036117. 2005..For a fixed density of rules we can demonstrate the existence of a phase transition from a practically unpopulated regime to a fully populated and diverse one...
- Effects of cholesterol on physical properties of human erythrocyte membranes: impact on susceptibility to hydrolysis by secretory phospholipase A2Anne L Heiner
Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 84602, USA
Biophys J 94:3084-93. 2008..It is also proposed that the high level of cholesterol in erythrocyte membranes is a protective mechanism to guard against hydrolytic enzymes...
- Phase transition kinetics of lipid bilayer membranes studied by time-resolved pressure perturbation calorimetryMartin Schiewek
Faculty of Chemistry and Physics, Institute of Chemistry, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Muehlpforte 1, 06108, Halle Saale, Germany
Eur Biophys J 39:815-24. 2010..with the instrumental response function gives information about slow processes connected with the lipid phase transition. The lipid transition from the gel to the liquid-crystalline state was found to be a multi-step process with ..
- Low amounts of sucrose are sufficient to depress the phase transition temperature of dry phosphatidylcholine, but not for lyoprotection of liposomesConstança Cacela
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, D 14424 Potsdam, Germany
Biophys J 90:2831-42. 2006..been proposed that the lyoprotection of liposomes depends on the depression of the gel to liquid-crystalline phase transition temperature (T(m)) of the dry membranes below ambient and on the prevention of membrane fusion by sugar glass ..
- Molecular studies of the gel to liquid-crystalline phase transition for fully hydrated DPPC and DPPE bilayersSukit Leekumjorn
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Chemical Engineering, Blacksburg VA 24061, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:354-65. 2007..a comprehensive study of the structural properties of saturated lipid bilayers, DPPC and DPPE, near the main phase transition. Though the chemical structure of DPPC and DPPE are largely similar (they only differ in the choline and ..
- Effect of the antibiotic azithromycin on thermotropic behavior of DOPC or DPPC bilayersN Fa
Unité de Pharmacologie Cellulaire et Moléculaire, Universite Catholique de Louvain, 73 70 Avenue E Mounier 73, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Chem Phys Lipids 144:108-16. 2006..For both lipids, the enthalpy associated with the phase transition is strongly decreased with azithromycin...
- Transbilayer effects of raft-like lipid domains in asymmetric planar bilayers measured by single molecule trackingVolker Kiessling
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, 22908 0736, USA
Biophys J 91:3313-26. 2006....
- Comparison between protein-polyethylene glycol (PEG) interactions and the effect of PEG on protein-protein interactions using the liquid-liquid phase transitionYing Wang
Department of Chemistry, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, Texas 76129, USA
J Phys Chem B 111:1222-30. 2007..Finally, due to the general importance of LLPS, we will experimentally show that protein-PEG-buffer mixtures can exhibit two distinct types of liquid-liquid phase transitions...
- Temperature dependence of structure, bending rigidity, and bilayer interactions of dioleoylphosphatidylcholine bilayersJianjun Pan
Department of Physics, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Biophys J 94:117-24. 2008....
- Domain formation in sphingomyelin/cholesterol mixed membranes studied by spin-label electron spin resonance spectroscopyM Isabel Collado
Departamento de Bioquimica, Universidad del Pais Vasco, Apartado 644, E 48080 Bilbao, Spain
Biochemistry 44:4911-8. 2005....
- Reversible phase transitions in emulsified nanostructured lipid systemsLiliana de Campo
Institute of Chemistry, Colloids and Polymers, University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Langmuir 20:5254-61. 2004..This agreement is independent of any thermal history (including phase transitions), which proves that the structures in the dispersed particles actually are in thermodynamic equilibrium with the surrounding water phase...
- How much solute is needed to inhibit the fluid to gel membrane phase transition at low hydration?Thomas Lenné
Applied Physics, School of Applied Sciences, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:1019-22. 2007We present a quantitative study of the effect of sugars on the membrane gel-fluid phase transition as a function of sugar:lipid ratio. We show that the maximum effect occurs at around 1...
- A thermally induced phase transition in a viral capsid transforms the hexamers, leaving the pentamers unchangedJames F Conway
Department of Structural Biology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
J Struct Biol 158:224-32. 2007..Pentamers, on the other hand, are more stably anchored and resist this thermal perturbation...
- Structure of fully hydrated fluid phase lipid bilayers with monounsaturated chainsNorbert Kucerka
Physics Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 15213, USA
J Membr Biol 208:193-202. 2005..Our results suggest that lipids with one monounsaturated chain have quantitative bilayer structures closer to lipids with two monounsaturated chains than to lipids with two completely saturated chains...
- Effect of a sodium ion on the dehydration-induced phase transition of monoclinic lysozyme crystalsKazuaki Harata
Biological Information Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Central 6, 1 1 1 Higashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8566, Japan
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 63:1016-21. 2007..This crystal-to-crystal phase transition was accompanied by 20-40% solvent loss and the transformed crystal diffracted to prominently high resolution...
- Calorimetric, x-ray diffraction, and spectroscopic studies of the thermotropic phase behavior and organization of tetramyristoyl cardiolipin membranesRuthven N A H Lewis
Department of Biochemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Biophys J 92:3166-77. 2007..data indicate that the lower temperature transition corresponds to a lamellar subgel (L(c)') to gel (L(beta)) phase transition and the higher temperature endotherm to a L(beta) to lamellar liquid-crystalline (L(alpha)) phase transition...
- Sphingomyelin structure influences the lateral diffusion and raft formation in lipid bilayersAndrey Filippov
Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Biophys J 90:2086-92. 2006..The results indicate that a crucial element in the domain-forming process is the formation of highly packed bilayers of SM and cholesterol rather than specific interactions between SM and cholesterol...
- Simultaneous phase transition of ELP tagged molecules and free ELP: an efficient and reversible capture systemXin Ge
Department of Chemical Engineering, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
Biomacromolecules 7:2475-8. 2006..In a more general context, the concept presented in this paper provides a method that is highly efficient, specific, and fully reversible, which should render it useful in areas other than recombinant protein purification...
- Insight into the putative specific interactions between cholesterol, sphingomyelin, and palmitoyl-oleoyl phosphatidylcholineJussi Aittoniemi
Laboratory of Physics and Helsinki Institute of Physics, Helsinki University of Technology, Helsinki, Finland
Biophys J 92:1125-37. 2007..This implies improved Chol-induced ordering of PSM's chains over POPC's chains. These findings are discussed in the context of the hydrophobic mismatch concept suggested recently...
- Adsorption of polar lipids at the water-oil interfaceP Reis
Nestle Research Center, CH 1000 Lausanne 26, Switzerland
Langmuir 24:5781-6. 2008..The pH dependency of the interfacial activity of fatty acids is also explored in the current work. We believe that our results can contribute to a better understanding of the complex interfacial phenomena occurring during fat digestion...
- Calcium triggered L alpha-H2 phase transition monitored by combined rapid mixing and time-resolved synchrotron SAXSAnan Yaghmur
Institute of Biophysics and Nanosystems Research, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Graz, Austria
PLoS ONE 3:e2072. 2008....
- Surface dilational rheology of mixed beta-lactoglobulin/surfactant layers at the air/water interfaceR Miller
Max Planck Institut fur Kolloid und Grenzflachenforschung, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14424 Potsdam, Germany
J Phys Chem B 109:13327-31. 2005....
- Thermotropic phase transition in soluble nanoscale lipid bilayersIlia G Denisov
Departments of Biochemistry and Chemistry, College of Medicine, and Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 505 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Phys Chem B 109:15580-8. 2005The role of lipid domain size and protein-lipid interfaces in the thermotropic phase transition of dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine (DPPC) and dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) bilayers in Nanodiscs was studied using small-angle X-ray ..
- Temperature and composition dependence of the interaction of delta-lysin with ternary mixtures of sphingomyelin/cholesterol/POPCAntje Pokorny
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Wilmington, NC, USA
Biophys J 91:2184-97. 2006..These results were combined with differential scanning calorimetry to obtain the BSM/Chol/POPC phase diagram as a function of temperature...
- Cholesterol-phospholipid association in fluid bilayers: a thermodynamic analysis from nearest-neighbor recognition measurementsJianbing Zhang
Department of Chemistry, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18015, USA
Biophys J 91:1402-6. 2006..38 kcal/mol of phospholipid and DeltaS degrees = +1.68 +/- 1.12 cal/K mol of phospholipid. In the liquid-disordered/liquid-ordered coexistence region, changes in lipid mixing reflect changes in the phase composition of the membrane...
- An intracellular lamellar-nonlamellar phase transition rationalizes the superior performance of some cationic lipid transfection agentsRumiana Koynova
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Cell Biology, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:14373-8. 2006..at 45:20:20:15 (wt/wt)]; in contrast, the unsaturated C18:1/C10-EPC exhibited a lamellar-nonlamellar phase transition in such mixtures, which took place at physiological temperatures, approximately 37 degrees C...
- How principles of domain formation in model membranes may explain ambiguities concerning lipid raft formation in cellsErwin London
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Stony Brook University, S U N Y, Stony Brook, NY 11794 5215, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1746:203-20. 2005..Very high concentrations of membrane cholesterol and proteins may explain key physical characteristics of domains in cellular membranes, and are the two of the most obvious factors requiring additional study...
- Quantitative CARS spectroscopy using the maximum entropy method: the main lipid phase transitionHilde A Rinia
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, P O Box 94062, 1090 GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Chemphyschem 8:279-87. 2007..CARS) spectra is described in detail and applied to the time-resolved measurement of the main lipid phase transition of small, unilamellar 1,2-dimyristoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine (DMPC) vesicles subject to a 3 min ..
- Effect of potassium perfluorooctanesulfonate, perfluorooctanoate and octanesulfonate on the phase transition of dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine (DPPC) bilayersW Xie
The University of Iowa, Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, 100 Oakdale Campus 221 IREH, Iowa City, IA 52242 5000, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1768:1299-308. 2007..In the fluorescence experiments a linear depression of the main phase transition temperature of DPPC (T(m)) and an increased peak width was observed with increasing concentration of all ..
- Evidence for the lack of a specific interaction between cholesterol and sphingomyelinJuha M Holopainen
Helsinki Biophysics and Biomembrane Group, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Helsinki, Finland
Biophys J 86:1510-20. 2004..In DNPC below the main phase transition, the addition of up to 5 mol % cholesterol reduced I(e)/I(m) significantly...
- Liquid-liquid phase transition in supercooled siliconSrikanth Sastry
Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Jakkur Campus, Bangalore 560064, India
Nat Mater 2:739-43. 2003....
- Rigidification of neutral lipid bilayers in the presence of saltsGeorg Pabst
Institute of Biophysics and Nanosystems Research, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Graz, Austria
Biophys J 93:2688-96. 2007..increase of order within the lipid bilayer, leading to a decrease of bilayer elasticity and shift of main phase transition temperature. This effect is more pronounced for Ca2+, and occurs mainly in the high salt-concentration regime...
- Kinetics and thermodynamics of association of a phospholipid derivative with lipid bilayers in liquid-disordered and liquid-ordered phasesMagda S C Abreu
Departamento de Quimica, Universidade de Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal
Biophys J 87:353-65. 2004....
- Gradual change or phase transition: characterizing fluid lipid-cholesterol membranes on the basis of thermal volume changesHeiko Heerklotz
Biozentrum der Universitat Basel, Division of Biophysical Chemistry, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Biophys J 91:600-7. 2006..Accordingly, one cholesterol may condense 3 +/- 1 1-palmitoyl-2-oleoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphatidylcholine molecules by approximately -(1.4 +/- 0.5) vol % at 2 degrees C; both absolute values decrease with increasing temperature...
- Fluorescence energy transfer reveals microdomain formation at physiological temperatures in lipid mixtures modeling the outer leaflet of the plasma membraneJohn R Silvius
Department of Biochemistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1Y6, Canada
Biophys J 85:1034-45. 2003....
- Mechanism of the lamellar/inverse hexagonal phase transition examined by high resolution x-ray diffractionMichael Rappolt
Institute of Biophysics and X ray Structure Research, Austrian Academy of Sciences, c o Sincrotrone Trieste, 34012 Basovizza, Italy
Biophys J 84:3111-22. 2003..During the lamellar-to-inverse hexagonal phase transition the area per lipid molecule reduces by approximately 25%, and the number of water molecules per lipid ..
- The effect of cholesterol on the lateral diffusion of phospholipids in oriented bilayersAndrey Filippov
Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Umea University, SE 90187 Umea, Sweden
Biophys J 84:3079-86. 2003..For the DOPC/CHOL and the POPC/CHOL systems no two-phase behavior were observed, and the obtained E(A):s indicate that these systems are in the l(d) phase at all CHOL contents for temperatures above 25 degrees C...
- Morphology of a highly asymmetric double crystallizable poly(epsilon-caprolactone-b-ethylene oxide) block copolymerLiangbin Li
National Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory, University of Science and Technology of China, Anhui 230026, China
J Chem Phys 126:024904. 2007..This implies a similar underlying mechanism of coupling and competition of various phase transitions, which is worth further exploration...
- Thermosensitive nanocontainers prepared from poly(N-isopropylacrylamide-co-N-(hydroxylmethyl) acrylamide)-g-poly(lactide)Yan Zhang
The Key Laboratory of Molecular Engineering of Polymers, Ministry of Education, Department of macromolecular Science of Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6:2896-901. 2006..In particular it will combine a spatial specificity in a passive manner and a temperature-responsive active targeting mechanism for drug delivery system...
- Crystal form and phase structure of poly(vinylidene fluoride)/polyamide 11/clay nanocomposites by high-shear processingYongjin Li
Nanotechnology Research Institute, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, Tsukuba Central 5, 1 1 1 Higashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8565, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 8:1714-20. 2008..Moreover, the addition of organoclay shows significant effects on the phase structure of PVDF/PA11 blends...
- Controlled arrangement of nanoparticle arrays in block-copolymer domainsAgus Haryono
Indonesian Institute of Sciences LIPI, Research Center for Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry Group, Kawasan Puspiptek Serpong, 15314 Tangerang, Indonesia
Small 2:600-11. 2006..Furthermore, examples on applications and technological aspects of the resulting nanoparticle/polymer nanocomposites are provided...
- Effect of material properties of composite restoration on the strength of the restoration-dentine interface due to polymerization shrinkage, thermal and occlusal loadingKrzysztof Borkowski
School of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Med Eng Phys 29:671-6. 2007....
- The role of thickness transitions in convective assemblyLinli Meng
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Minnesota, 421 Washington Avenue SE, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Nano Lett 6:2249-53. 2006..In thicker crystals, the crystallization is more complicated, but the transition regions must still be considered before a complete understanding of convective assembly can be obtained...
- Complex buckling instability patterns of nanomembranes with encapsulated gold nanoparticle arraysChaoyang Jiang
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa 50011, USA
Nano Lett 6:2254-9. 2006..The binary buckling pattern observed here allowed the "one-shot" evaluation of the elastic moduli of two compositionally different regions (with and without gold nanoparticles)...
- Bonding nature and structural phase transition in fullerene based nanomaterialsDam Hieu Chi
Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Tatsunokuchi, Ishikawa 923 1292, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6:3888-92. 2006..The derived charge density map indicates that the transitions can be regarded as reversible structural changes from fullerene dimers to monomers. These features are ascribed to the unique bonding nature of rare-earth C70 compounds...
- Poly(vinyl alcohol)/silica nanocomposites: morphology and thermal degradation kineticsZheng Peng
Agriculture Ministry Key Laboratory of Natural Rubber Processing, Zhanjiang 524001, China
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6:3934-8. 2006..However, at a given degradation temperature, the nanocomposite presents much lower reaction velocity constants (k), while its E is 20 kJ/mol higher than that of the PVA host...
- Orientational order in block copolymer films zone annealed below the order--disorder transition temperatureBrian C Berry
Polymers Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20899 8541, USA
Nano Lett 7:2789-94. 2007..The ability to rapidly process polymers with inaccessible order-disorder transition temperatures suggests zone annealing as a route toward more robust nanomanufacturing methods based on block copolymer self-assembly...
- Monoclonal antibodies to inhibit Aspergillus germinationMarta Feldmesser; Fiscal Year: 2009..interactions in invasive aspergillosis using a monoclonal antibody (MAb 318) that inhibits germination, the phase transition from the spore form to hyphal form that is required for invasion, and prolongs survival in mice with invasive ..
- Replication licensing and cell cycle checkpointsJeanette Gowen Cook; Fiscal Year: 2010..is stimulated by the activity of cyclin dependent protein kinases (Cdks) that are activated at the G1/S phase transition and remain active until mitosis...
- Replication licensing and cell cycle checkpointsJEANETTE COOK; Fiscal Year: 2009..is stimulated by the activity of cyclin dependent protein kinases (Cdks) that are activated at the G1/S phase transition and remain active until mitosis...
- TESTOSTERONE REPLACEMENT & PHYSICAL FUNCTION IN HIV+MENShalender Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2005..mass; we will determine whether testosterone supplementation increases satellite cell number by promoting G:S phase transition, thus inducing satellite cells to enter the cell cycle or by inhibiting satellite cell apoptosis...
- Multiplex Nanocarrier-based Hydrogels for Prevention of Vaginal HIV Transmission.Patrick Sinko; Fiscal Year: 2009..upon instillation allowing for high vaginal dispersion/mucosal coverage where it then undergoes a rapid phase transition to form a visco-elastic gel...
- Multiplex Nanocarrier-based Hydrogels for Prevention of Vaginal HIV Transmission.Patrick J Sinko; Fiscal Year: 2010..upon instillation allowing for high vaginal dispersion/mucosal coverage where it then undergoes a rapid phase transition to form a visco-elastic gel...
- Jun Kinase Signaling and Apoptosis in Ischemia StrokeChia Yi Kuan; Fiscal Year: 2006..The cellular mechanisms that may abolish the G1/S-phase transition block in cerebral ischemia will be examined...
- A novel vaccine/adjuvant for Streptococcus pneumoniaeM A Westerink; Fiscal Year: 2003..F127-based matrices are characterized by reverse thermogelation, a feature that allows a phase transition from liquid to gel upon reaching physiological temperatures...
- ASSEMBLY AND FUNCTION OF THE U4/U6 SPLICEOSOMAL SNRNPDAVID BROW; Fiscal Year: 2000..in the splicing factor Prp8, one of the subjects of this study, result in cell cycle arrest at the G1/S phase transition. Since loss of cell cycle regulation plays a major role in tumor progression, detailed knowledge of the ..
- Monoclonal antibodies to inhibit Aspergillus germinationMARTA L FELDMESSER; Fiscal Year: 2010..interactions in invasive aspergillosis using a monoclonal antibody (MAb 318) that inhibits germination, the phase transition from the spore form to hyphal form that is required for invasion, and prolongs survival in mice with invasive ..
- Monoclonal antibodies to inhibit Aspergillus germinationMarta Feldmesser; Fiscal Year: 2007..interactions in invasive aspergillosis using a monoclonal antibody (MAb 318) that inhibits germination, the phase transition from the spore form to hyphal form that is required for invasion, and prolongs survival in mice with invasive ..
- Cell Cycle Regulation of Histone Gene ExpressionGary S Stein; Fiscal Year: 2010..The controlled activation of histone gene expression at the G1/S phase transition is essential for chromatin packaging of nascent DNA...
- Swellable Templated CopolymersRUDOLF SEITZ; Fiscal Year: 2006..The rest is N-isopropylacrylamide or n-propylacrylamide. This polymer undergoes a thermal phase transition, coming out of solution above the thermal phase transition temperature...
- Oxidative Stess and Heart Failure by Copper RestrictionY Kang; Fiscal Year: 2004..examine the role of atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) in the late phase transition from heart hypertrophy to failure, dynamic changes in ANP and TNF-alpha production will be studied...
- Molecular Mechanisms that Regulate Phase Transition in Dimorphic FungiGREGORY GAUTHIER; Fiscal Year: 2007..the pivotal role of morphogenesis in pathogenesis of these infections, the mechanisms that regulate the phase transition are poorly understood...
- Thermally targeted drug delivery by elastin biopolymersAshutosh Chilkoti; Fiscal Year: 2009..project period that a systemically administered ELP that was designed to undergo a hydrophilic-hydrophobic phase transition at 40 oC (ELPactive) formed micron size aggregates that adhered to the vasculature of tumors that were heated ..
- Thermally targeted drug delivery by elastin biopolymersAshutosh Chilkoti; Fiscal Year: 2010..project period that a systemically administered ELP that was designed to undergo a hydrophilic-hydrophobic phase transition at 40 oC (ELPactive) formed micron size aggregates that adhered to the vasculature of tumors that were heated ..
- Molecular Mode of Action of JAB-1 in Cell ProliferationFRANCOIS CLARET; Fiscal Year: 2006..p27 plays an important role in the regulation of the G1 to S phase transition. Thus, an improved comprehension of the mechanisms regulating p27 expression and function could contribute to ..
- Thermally targeted drug delivery by elastin biopolymersAshutosh Chilkoti; Fiscal Year: 2007..project period that a systemically administered ELP that was designed to undergo a hydrophilic-hydrophobic phase transition at 40 oC (ELPactive) formed micron size aggregates that adhered to the vasculature of tumors that were heated ..
- INTERMEDIATES AND TRANSBILAYER PEPTIDESMartin Caffrey; Fiscal Year: 2001..fusion intermediates exist under special circumstances in systems undergoing the bilayer/inverted hexagonal phase transition. In this study Dr...
- Agnoprotein in JC virus virion biogenesis and replicationMahmut Safak; Fiscal Year: 2009..It deregulates cell cycle progression, in which agnoprotein positive cells largely accumulate at G2/M phase transition. We also demonstrated the involvement of the coding region of agnoprotein in regulation of JCV life cycle by ..
- HYPERTHERMIA AND PERFUSION EFFECTS IN CANCER THERAPYMark Dewhirst; Fiscal Year: 2007..drugs, particularly with novel thermolabile liposomes that release contents within seconds of reaching their phase transition temperature, (3) conduct phase III trials comparing best conventional therapy q HT, (4) examine whether ..
- Cables role in endometrial differentiation and cancerBo Rueda; Fiscal Year: 2007..Cdk2 regulates the G1 S-phase transition of the cell cycle and cdk2 tyrosine phosphorylation is inhibitory and leads to decreased cdk2 activity and ..