- Direct multiplexed measurement of gene expression with color-coded probe pairs
Gary K Geiss
NanoString Technologies Inc, 201 Elliott Ave West, Suite 300, Seattle, Washington 98119, USA
Nat Biotechnol 26:317-25. 2008
..Finally, a comparison of transcript levels for 21 genes across seven samples measured by the nCounter system and SYBR Green real-time PCR demonstrated similar patterns of gene expression at all transcript levels...
- Quantification of histochemical staining by color deconvolution
A C Ruifrok
Department of Pathology, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 23:291-9. 2001
..OBJECTIVE: To develop a flexible method of separation and quantification of immunohistochemical staining by means of color image analysis...
- Symbiotic bacterium modifies aphid body color
Molecular Entomology Laboratory, RIKEN Advanced Science Institute, Wako 351 0198, Japan
Science 330:1102-4. 2010
b>Color variation within populations of the pea aphid influences relative susceptibility to predators and parasites...
- Photonic structures in biology
Thin Film Photonics, School of Physics, Exeter University, Exeter EX4 4QL, UK
Nature 424:852-5. 2003
..Natural photonic structures are providing inspiration for technological applications...
- Structural colors in nature: the role of regularity and irregularity in the structure
Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University, Yamadaoka 1 3, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Chemphyschem 6:1442-59. 2005
..The latter, called structural color or iridescence, has long been a problem of scientific interest...
- Carotenoids and their isomers: color pigments in fruits and vegetables
Hock Eng Khoo
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Molecules 16:1710-38. 2011
..Carotenoids and their geometric isomers also play an important role in protecting cells from oxidation and cellular damages...
- Globally altered structural brain network topology in grapheme-color synesthesia
Division Neuropsychology, Institute of Psychology, University of Zurich, CH 8050 Zurich, Switzerland
J Neurosci 31:5816-28. 2011
..g., specific graphemes evoke the perception of particular colors). Grapheme-color synesthesia (GCS) has been proposed to arise from abnormal local cross-activation between grapheme and color areas ..
- Partitioning histopathological images: an integrated framework for supervised color-texture segmentation and cell splitting
Department of Biomedical Informatics, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43201, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 30:1661-77. 2011
..Instead of using pixel color intensities, the color-texture extracted at the local neighborhood of each pixel is utilized as the input to our ..
- Transgenic strategies for combinatorial expression of fluorescent proteins in the nervous system
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Center for Brain Science, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nature 450:56-62. 2007
..The ability of the Brainbow system to label uniquely many individual cells within a population may facilitate the analysis of neuronal circuitry on a large scale...
- Decoding and reconstructing color from responses in human visual cortex
Gijs Joost Brouwer
Department of Psychology and Center for Neural Science, New York University, New York, NY 10003, USA
J Neurosci 29:13992-4003. 2009
How is color represented by spatially distributed patterns of activity in visual cortex? Functional magnetic resonance imaging responses to several stimulus colors were analyzed with multivariate techniques: conventional pattern ..
- mRNA transcript quantification in archival samples using multiplexed, color-coded probes
Patricia P Reis
Division of Applied Molecular Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Ontario Cancer Institute, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
BMC Biotechnol 11:46. 2011
..We assessed the ability of this technology for mRNA expression quantification in archived formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) oral carcinoma samples...
- Zebrafish responds differentially to a robotic fish of varying aspect ratio, tail beat frequency, noise, and color
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Brooklyn, NY 11201, USA
Behav Brain Res 233:545-53. 2012
..Specifically, we experimentally study the response of zebrafish to a robotic fish of varying size, color pattern, tail beat frequency, and acoustic signature in a canonical preference test...
- Ridge-based vessel segmentation in color images of the retina
Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, E 01 335, 3584 CX, Utrecht, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 23:501-9. 2004
A method is presented for automated segmentation of vessels in two-dimensional color images of the retina. This method can be used in computer analyses of retinal images, e.g., in automated screening for diabetic retinopathy...
- Genetic interactions controlling sex and color establish the potential for sexual conflict in Lake Malawi cichlid fishes
N F Parnell
School of Biology, Institute of Bioengineering and Bioscience, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332, USA
Heredity (Edinb) 110:239-46. 2013
..nucleotide polymorphisms to identify multiple loci responsible for sex determination and reproductively adaptive color phenotypes in Lake Malawi cichlids...
- Evaluation of a 12-color flow cytometry panel to study lymphocyte, monocyte, and dendritic cell subsets in humans
Department of Biology, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02467, USA
Cytometry A 77:410-9. 2010
..The aim of this work was to analyze the phenotype of human lymphocyte, monocyte, and DC subsets using a single 12-color flow cytometry panel...
- High sensitivity of human melatonin, alertness, thermoregulation, and heart rate to short wavelength light
Centre for Chronobiology, Psychiatric University Clinic, Wilhelm Kleinstr 27, CH 4025 Basel, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:1311-6. 2005
- Color-tuned channelrhodopsins for multiwavelength optogenetics
Institute of Biology, Experimental Biophysics, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, 10115 Berlin, Germany
J Biol Chem 287:31804-12. 2012
..It is used to control neuronal activity via blue light. Here we describe the construction of color-tuned high efficiency channelrhodopsins (ChRs), based on chimeras of Chlamydomonas channelrhodopsin-1 and Volvox ..
- Flower color modification by engineering of the flavonoid biosynthetic pathway: practical perspectives
Institute for Plant Science, Suntory Holdings Ltd, Osaka
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 74:1760-9. 2010
The status quo of flavonoid biosynthesis as it relates to flower color is reviewed together with a success in modifying flower color by genetic engineering...
- Simultaneous multi-lifetime multi-color STED imaging for colocalization analyses
Department of NanoBiophotonics, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Am Fassberg 11, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Opt Express 19:3130-43. 2011
..Furthermore, we propose a setup having a second STED beam for long duration multicolor recording...
- Modeling the emergence of universality in color naming patterns
Departament de Fisica i Enginyeria Nuclear, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Campus Nord B4, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:2403-7. 2010
The empirical evidence that human color categorization exhibits some universal patterns beyond superficial discrepancies across different cultures is a major breakthrough in cognitive science...
- Marine optical biogeochemistry: the chemistry of ocean color
Paula G Coble
College of Marine Science, University of South Florida, 140 7th Avenue South, St Petersburg, Florida 33701, USA
Chem Rev 107:402-18. 2007
- The Dark brown plumage color in chickens is caused by an 8.3-kb deletion upstream of SOX10
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 24:268-74. 2011
..Lower tyrosinase activity leads to a shift toward a more pheomelanistic (reddish) plumage color, which is the characteristic feature of the DB phenotype.
- Structural color in porous, superhydrophilic, and self-cleaning SiO2/TiO2 Bragg stacks
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Small 3:1445-51. 2007
Thin-film Bragg stacks exhibiting structural color have been fabricated by a layer-by-layer (LbL) deposition process involving the sequential adsorption of nanoparticles and polymers...
- Performance of the Nzi and other traps for biting flies in North America
388 Church Street, Russell, Ontario, Canada, K4R 1A8
Bull Entomol Res 96:387-97. 2006
..Nzi traps caught grossly similar numbers of biting flies as canopy, Vavoua, and Alsynite cylinder traps, but with differences in relative performance among species or locations...
- Multimodal nanoprobes for radionuclide and five-color near-infrared optical lymphatic imaging
Molecular Imaging Program, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1088, USA
ACS Nano 1:258-64. 2007
..platform linked to both radionuclides and optical probes, permitting dual-modality scintigraphic and five-color near-infrared optical lymphatic imaging using a multiple-excitation spectrally resolved fluorescence imaging ..
- Color assortative mating contributes to sympatric divergence of neotropical cichlid fish
Kathryn R Elmer
Lehrstuhl fur Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie, Department of Biology, University of Konstanz, 78457 Konstanz, Germany
Evolution 63:2750-7. 2009
..In this study, we used field data and molecular methods to investigate the gold-normal color polymorphism in two endemic cichlid fish species of crater lake Xiloá, Nicaragua...
- Dual-color click beetle luciferase heteroprotein fragment complementation assays
Molecular Imaging Center, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Department of Developmental Biology, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Chem Biol 17:1018-29. 2010
..Luciferase heteroprotein fragment complementation systems enabled dual-color quantification of two discrete pairs of interacting proteins simultaneously or two distinct proteins interacting ..
- Feature-selective attention enhances color signals in early visual areas of the human brain
M M Muller
Institut fur Psychologie I, Universitat Leipzig, Seeburgstrasse 14 20, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:14250-4. 2006
..stimulus processing (the steady-state visual evoked potential, SSVEP) to investigate feature-specific attention to color cues...
- Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish
Institute of Zoology, University of Bern, Baltzerstr 6, CH 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Nature 455:620-6. 2008
..Our results also provide a mechanistic explanation for the collapse of cichlid fish species diversity during the anthropogenic eutrophication of Lake Victoria...
- A common neural substrate for perceiving and knowing about color
W Kyle Simmons
Department of Psychology, Emory University, USA
Neuropsychologia 45:2802-10. 2007
..Although regions near the fusiform have previously been implicated in color perception, it remains unclear whether color knowledge retrieval actually activates the color perception system...
- Neural correlates of the classic color and emotional stroop in women with abuse-related posttraumatic stress disorder
J Douglas Bremner
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory Center for Positron Emission Tomography, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Biol Psychiatry 55:612-20. 2004
..Dysfunction of the anterior cingulate/medial prefrontal cortex has been implicated in posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The purpose of this study was to use the Stroop task as a probe of anterior cingulate function in PTSD...
- Structural colour and iridescence in plants: the poorly studied relations of pigment colour
Beverley J Glover
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3EA, UK
Ann Bot 105:505-11. 2010
..Colour is a consequence of the optical properties of an object and the visual system of the animal perceiving it. Colour is produced through chemical and structural means, but structural colour has been relatively poorly studied in plants...
- Quantifying the drivers of the increasing colored organic matter in boreal surface waters
Norwegian Institute for Agricultural and Environmental Research, Bioforsk, Fr A Dahls vei 20, NO 1432 As, Norway
Environ Sci Technol 44:2975-80. 2010
..A proposed water color model for an important raw water source for Oslo, Norway, is based on the precipitation's amount and mobile ion ..
- Evaluating color descriptors for object and scene recognition
Koen E A van de Sande
Informatics Institute, University of Amsterdam, Science Park 107, 1098 XG Amsterdam, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 32:1582-96. 2010
..To increase illumination invariance and discriminative power, color descriptors have been proposed...
- Giga-pixel lensfree holographic microscopy and tomography using color image sensors
Serhan O Isikman
Electrical Engineering Department, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e45044. 2012
We report Giga-pixel lensfree holographic microscopy and tomography using color sensor-arrays such as CMOS imagers that exhibit Bayer color filter patterns...
- Tunable color filters based on metal-insulator-metal resonators
Thomas J Watson Laboratory of Applied Physics, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, 91125, USA
Nano Lett 9:2579-83. 2009
..Experimental results indicate that passive Ag/Si(3)N(4)/Au resonators exhibit color filtering across the entire visible spectrum...
- Novel chromophores and buried charges control color in mFruits
Institute of Molecular Biology and Department of Physics, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403, USA
Biochemistry 45:9639-47. 2006
..pH-dependent spectral shifts of mCherry and mStrawberry appear to result from the titration of Glu 215, although, for mStrawberry, partial cyclization of Thr 66 may contribute at high pH...
- How colorful are fruits? Limited color diversity in fleshy fruits on local and global scales
Kalliope E Stournaras
Department of Evolutionary Biology and Animal Ecology, Faculty of Biology, University of Freiburg, Hauptstrasse 1, 79104, Freiburg, Germany
New Phytol 198:617-29. 2013
..Using an avian color space to derive a sensory morphospace for fruit color, we tested four hypotheses of fruit color diversity: fruit ..
- Six-color time-resolved Förster resonance energy transfer for ultrasensitive multiplexed biosensing
Physical Chemistry, University of Potsdam, 14476 Potsdam Golm, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 135:1102-9. 2013
..Here we present an optically multiplexed six-color Förster resonance energy transfer (FRET) biosensor for simultaneous monitoring of five different individual ..
- Optimization and qualification of an 8-color intracellular cytokine staining assay for quantifying T cell responses in rhesus macaques for pre-clinical vaccine studies
Mitzi M Donaldson
Nonhuman Primate Immunogenicity Core, Vaccine Research Center, NIAID, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol Methods 386:10-21. 2012
..We optimized and qualified an 8-color intracellular cytokine staining assay for the measurement of IFNγ, IL-2, and TNF from viable CD4 and CD8 T cells ..
- Color in context: psychological context moderates the influence of red on approach- and avoidance-motivated behavior
Brian P Meier
Department of Psychology, Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e40333. 2012
A basic premise of the recently proffered color-in-context model is that the influence of color on psychological functioning varies as a function of the psychological context in which color is perceived...
- Dual-color upconversion fluorescence and aptamer-functionalized magnetic nanoparticles-based bioassay for the simultaneous detection of Salmonella Typhimurium and Staphylococcus aureus
State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, School of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, Wuxi 214122, China
Anal Chim Acta 723:1-6. 2012
..both recognition and concentration elements and using upconversion nanoparticles (UCNPs) as highly sensitive dual-color labels...
- Detection of microRNAs in color space
University of Manchester, M13 9PT Manchester, UK
Bioinformatics 28:318-23. 2012
..The AB SOLiD technology generates millions of short sequencing reads in color-space; that is, the raw data is a sequence of colors, where each color represents 2 nt and each nucleotide is ..
- Superresolution imaging of multiple fluorescent proteins with highly overlapping emission spectra in living cells
Mudalige S Gunewardene
Department of Physics and Astronomy and Institute for Molecular Biophysics, University of Maine, Orono, Maine, USA
Biophys J 101:1522-8. 2011
- Association of Mc1r variants with ecologically relevant phenotypes in the European ocellated lizard, Lacerta lepida
V L Nunes
Computational Biology and Population Genomics Group, Centro de Biologia Ambiental, DBA FCUL, Lisboa, Portugal
J Evol Biol 24:2289-98. 2011
..l. nevadensis and L. l. lepida revealed low gene flow (only two hybrids detected). The implications of these findings are discussed in the context of previous knowledge about the evolutionary history of ocellated lizards...
- The role of color information on object recognition: a review and meta-analysis
Cognitive Neuroscience Research Group, Institute of Biotechnology and Bioengineering CBME, Universidade do Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Acta Psychol (Amst) 138:244-53. 2011
In this study, we systematically review the scientific literature on the effect of color on object recognition. Thirty-five independent experiments, comprising 1535 participants, were included in a meta-analysis...
- Avian vision and the evolution of egg color mimicry in the common cuckoo
Mary Caswell Stoddard
Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EJ, UK
Evolution 65:2004-13. 2011
..Cuckoo eggs often (but not always) appear to match remarkably the color and pattern of host eggs, thus reducing detection by hosts...
- A novel color change mechanism for breast cancer biomarker detection: naphthoquinones as specific ligands of human arylamine N-acetyltransferase 1
Department of Pharmacology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 8:e70600. 2013
..On interaction with the enzyme, the naphthoquinone probe undergoes an instantaneous and striking visible color change from red to blue...
- Arctic mustard flower color polymorphism controlled by petal-specific downregulation at the threshold of the anthocyanin biosynthetic pathway
Cynthia A Dick
Department of Biology, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e18230. 2011
Intra- and interspecific variation in flower color is a hallmark of angiosperm diversity. The evolutionary forces underlying the variety of flower colors can be nearly as diverse as the colors themselves...
- Relative role of flower color and scent on pollinator attraction: experimental tests using F1 and F2 hybrids of daylily and nightlily
Shun K Hirota
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e39010. 2012
..We evaluated the relative roles of flower color and scent on the evolutionary shift from a diurnally flowering ancestor to H. citrina...
- High transmission and low color cross-talk plasmonic color filters using triangular-lattice hole arrays in aluminum films
Department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, University of Glasgow, Rankine Building, Glasgow, U K
Opt Express 18:14056-62. 2010
Three primary color (red, green and blue) filters consisting of subwavelength triangular-lattice hole arrays in an aluminum film on glass were simulated and fabricated...
- Transcriptomics of morphological color change in polychromatic Midas cichlids
Laboratory of Zoology and Evolutionary Biology, Department of Biology, University of Konstanz, Universitatsstrasse 10, Konstanz 78457, Germany
BMC Genomics 14:171. 2013
..Most Midas cichlids maintain their melanophores and exhibit a grayish (normal) color pattern throughout their lives...
- Single-molecule four-color FRET visualizes energy-transfer paths on DNA origami
Ingo H Stein
Angewandte Physik Biophysik, Amalienstrasse 54, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, 80799 Munich, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 133:4193-5. 2011
..We used single-molecule four-color FRET with alternating laser excitation to sort subpopulations and to visualize the control of energy transfer.
- A prospective study using color flow duplex ultrasonography for abdominal perforator mapping in microvascular breast reconstruction
SANA Hospital Düsseldorf, Department of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, Interdisciplinary Breast Center of Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Med Sci Monit 16:MT65-70. 2010
..We hypothesize that color flow duplex ultrasonography is a reliable method for mapping the abdominal perforator anatomy and avoids the ..
- Individualized EEG source reconstruction of Stroop interference with masked color words
Institute for Biomagnetism and Biosignalanalysis, University of Muenster, Munster, Germany
Neuroimage 49:1800-9. 2010
A masked version of the classic color Stroop task was used to study interference effects with stimuli of variable visibility. Pattern masks with different stimulus onset asynchronies (SOAs) reduced the visibility in three steps...
- Fluorescence quantum yields of a series of red and near-infrared dyes emitting at 600-1000 nm
Division 1 5 Bioanalytics, BAM Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und prüfung, Berlin, Germany
Anal Chem 83:1232-42. 2011
..In addition, the effects of temperature and the presence of oxygen on the fluorescence quantum yield of Rh-101 have been assessed...
- Effects of pH values of hydrogen peroxide bleaching agents on enamel surface properties
Prosthodontics Department, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
Oper Dent 36:554-62. 2011
..pH value has a significant influence on the color changes after bleaching (p<0.001)...
- Stimulus and response conflict in the color-word Stroop task: a combined electro-myography and event-related potential study
University of Cambridge, Centre for Neuroscience, Faculty of Education, Cambridge, UK
Brain Res 1325:63-76. 2010
We aimed to separate stimulus and response conflict in a manual color-word Stroop task by combining electro-myography (EMG) and event-related brain potentials (ERPs)...
- Visual predators select for crypticity and polymorphism in virtual prey
Alan B Bond
Nebraska Behavioral Biology Group, School of Biological Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska 68588 0118, USA
Nature 415:609-13. 2002
..Over successive generations, the moths evolved to become significantly harder to detect, and they showed significantly greater phenotypic variance than non-selected or frequency-independent selected controls...
- Intensity-based analysis of dual-color gene expression data as an alternative to ratio-based analysis to enhance reproducibility
Neuroregeneration Laboratory, Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, Meibergdreef 47, 1105 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Genomics 11:112. 2010
Ratio-based analysis is the current standard for the analysis of dual-color microarray data...
- Countergradient variation in the sexual coloration of guppies (Poecilia reticulata): drosopterin synthesis balances carotenoid availability
Gregory F Grether
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1606, USA
Evolution 59:175-88. 2005
..The potential for countergradient sexual selection to contribute to reproductive isolation between populations is discussed...
- Comparison of performance of one-color and two-color gene-expression analyses in predicting clinical endpoints of neuroblastoma patients
Department of Pediatric Oncology and Hematology, Children s Hospital, and Center for Molecular Medicine Cologne ZMMK, University of Cologne, Koln, Germany
Pharmacogenomics J 10:258-66. 2010
Microarray-based prediction of clinical endpoints may be performed using either a one-color approach reflecting mRNA abundance in absolute intensity values or a two-color approach yielding ratios of fluorescent intensities...
- Why are so many bird flowers red?
Miguel A Rodríguez-Gironés
Estación Experimental de Zonas Aridas, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas in Almería, Spain
PLoS Biol 2:e350. 2004
- Antioxidant and antimicrobial capacity of several monofloral Cuban honeys and their correlation with color, polyphenol content and other chemical compounds
Jose M Alvarez-Suarez
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Marche Polytechnic University, Via Ranieri 65, 60100 Ancona, Italy
Food Chem Toxicol 48:2490-9. 2010
..A correlation between radical-scavenging activity and total phenolic content was found. Correlation existed also between color vs phenolics content, vs flavonoid content or between phenolic vs flavonoid.
- Practical guidelines for dual-color fluorescence cross-correlation spectroscopy
BIOTEC, Department of Biophysics, Dresden University of Technology, Tatzberg 47 51, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Nat Protoc 2:2842-56. 2007
Dual-color fluorescence cross-correlation spectroscopy (FCCS) allows for the determination of molecular mobility and concentrations and for the quantitative analysis of molecular interactions such as binding or cleavage at very low ..
- Temporal dissociation of components of cognitive control dysfunction in severe TBI: ERPs and the cued-Stroop task
William M Perlstein
Department of Clinical and Health Psychology, HSC Box 100165, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Neuropsychologia 44:260-74. 2006
- Brilliant whiteness in ultrathin beetle scales
School of Physics, Exeter University, Exeter EX4 4QL, UK
Science 315:348. 2007
..This thickness is at least two orders of magnitude thinner than common synthetic systems designed for equivalent-quality whiteness...
- Female preferences for aposematic signal components in a polymorphic poison frog
Martine E Maan
University of Texas at Austin, Integrative Biology, 1 University Station C0930, Austin Texas 78712, USA
Evolution 62:2334-45. 2008
..This frog shows striking diversity in color and pattern between geographically isolated populations in western Panama...
- Anthocyanins, phenolics, and color of Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Pinot Noir wines from British Columbia
Food Research Program, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Pacific Agri Food Research Centre, Summerland, British Columbia V0H 1Z0, Canada
J Agric Food Chem 47:4009-17. 1999
..anthocyanins, flavonols, tartaric esters, and total phenolics) during ripening of grapes and in phenolics and color during vinification and aging of Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Pinot Noir wines were studied...
- Genetic engineering of flavonoid pigments to modify flower color in floricultural plants
Iwate Biotechnology Research Center, 22 174 4, Narita, Kitakami, Iwate, 024 0003, Japan
Biotechnol Lett 33:433-41. 2011
..So far, the main pigments targeted for flower color modification are anthocyanins that contribute to a variety of colors such as red, pink and blue, but recent ..
- Skin blood perfusion and oxygenation colour affect perceived human health
Ian D Stephen
Perception Lab, School of Psychology, University of St Andrews, Scotland, UK
PLoS ONE 4:e5083. 2009
..We show, therefore, that skin blood perfusion and oxygenation influence perceived health in a way that may be important to mate choice...
- Universal screening for biliary atresia using an infant stool color card in Taiwan
Cheng Hui Hsiao
Department of Pediatrics, Cardinal Tien Hospital Yung Ho Branch, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatology 47:1233-40. 2008
..We established a universal screening system using an infant stool color card to promote the early diagnosis and treatment of biliary atresia...
- Colour preferences influences odour learning in the hawkmoth, Macroglossum stellatarum
Department of Cell and Organism Biology, Lund University, Helgonavagen 3, S 223 62 Lund, Sweden
Naturwissenschaften 93:255-8. 2006
..stellatarum can use more than one modality in their foraging behaviour and that the system is plastic. By manipulating the preferences for the different colours, their influence on odour learning could be changed...
- Mutations in the agouti (ASIP), the extension (MC1R), and the brown (TYRP1) loci and their association to coat color phenotypes in horses (Equus caballus)
Laboratoire de Génétique Biochimique et de Cytogénétique, Département de Génétique Animale, INRA Centre de Recherche de Jouy, 78352 Jouy en Josas Cedex, France
Mamm Genome 12:450-5. 2001
Coat color genetics, when successfully adapted and applied to different mammalian species, provides a good demonstration of the powerful concept of comparative genetics...
- Adaptive population divergence in cryptic color-pattern following a reduction in gene flow
Zoology Department and Biodiversity Research Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver BC, V6T 1Z4, Canada
Evolution 63:1902-12. 2009
..Here, I report increased adaptive divergence in cryptic color pattern between a pair of Timema insect populations following an experimental reduction in between-population gene ..
- Brightness, contrast, and color balance of digital versus film retinal images in the age-related eye disease study 2
Larry D Hubbard
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53711 1068, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:3269-82. 2008
To analyze brightness, contrast, and color balance of digital versus film retinal images in a multicenter clinical trial, to propose a model image from exemplars, and to optimize both image types for evaluation of age-related macular ..
- Influence of filler on the difference between the transmitted and reflected colors of experimental resin composites
Yong keun Lee
Department of Dental Biomaterials Science and Dental Research Institute, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University, 28 Yeongeon dong, Jongro Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Dent Mater 24:1243-7. 2008
..This study sought to determine the influence of filler size and amount on the difference between the transmitted and reflected colors and the translucency of experimental resin composites...
- Physiologically induced color-pattern changes in butterfly wings: mechanistic and evolutionary implications
Joji M Otaki
The BCPH Unit of Molecular Physiology, Laboratory of Cell and Functional Biology, Department of Chemistry, Biology and Marine Science, Faculty of Science, University of the Ryukyus, 1 Senbaru, Nishihara, Okinawa 903 0213, Japan
J Insect Physiol 54:1099-112. 2008
A mechanistic understanding of the butterfly wing color-pattern determination can be facilitated by experimental pattern changes...
- Retinotopy and color sensitivity in human visual cortical area V8
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown 02129, USA
Nat Neurosci 1:235-41. 1998
Prior studies suggest the presence of a color-selective area in the inferior occipital-temporal region of human visual cortex...
- Lignin-derived compounds as efficient laccase mediators for decolorization of different types of recalcitrant dyes
Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, CSIC, Ramiro de Maeztu 9, E 28040 Madrid, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:1775-84. 2005
- Structural colouration of avian skin: convergent evolution of coherently scattering dermal collagen arrays
Richard O Prum
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and Natural History Museum, Dyche Hall, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045 7561, USA
J Exp Biol 206:2409-29. 2003
..Based on the phylogenetic distribution of structurally coloured skin in Aves, this mechanism of colour production has evolved convergently more than 50 independent times within extant birds...
- Floral iridescence, produced by diffractive optics, acts as a cue for animal pollinators
Heather M Whitney
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EA, UK
Science 323:130-3. 2009
..We found that bumblebees (Bombus terrestris) learn to disentangle flower iridescence from color and correctly identify iridescent flowers despite their continuously changing appearance...
- Coordinating perceptually grounded categories through language: a case study for colour
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2 1050 Brussels
Behav Brain Sci 28:469-89; discussion 489-529. 2005
..Specifically, we argue that the collective choice of a shared repertoire must integrate multiple constraints, including constraints coming from communication...
- Strong environmental determination of a carotenoid-based plumage trait is not mediated by carotenoid availability
J D Hadfield
Division of Biology, Imperial College London, Ascot, Berkshire, UK
J Evol Biol 19:1104-14. 2006
..The low heritability of this colour trait suggests environmental factors are likely to underlie the majority of variation in these processes...
- Blue light activates the sigmaB-dependent stress response of Bacillus subtilis via YtvA
Department of Molecular Microbial Physiology, Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam, Nieuwe Achtergracht 166, 1018WV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Bacteriol 188:6411-4. 2006
..These effects were absent in the dark and in red light but present under blue-light illumination. Thus, activation of the general stress response in B. subtilis is modulated by blue light...
- Visual and spectrophotometric shade analysis of human teeth
Clinic of Fixed and Removable Prosthodontics and Dental Material Sciences, Center for Dental and Oral Medicine, University of Zurich, Plattenstrasse 11, 8028 Zurich, Switzerland
J Dent Res 81:578-82. 2002
Due to interhuman differences in the perception of color, visual shade assessment of human teeth is lacking standardization that may be improved by the use of a spectrophotometer...
- Color vision
Karl R Gegenfurtner
Department of Psychology, Giessen University, Otto Behaghel Strasse 10, 35394 Giessen, Germany
Annu Rev Neurosci 26:181-206. 2003
b>Color vision starts with the absorption of light in the retinal cone photoreceptors, which transduce electromagnetic energy into electrical voltages...
- Two-color single-photon photoinitiation and photoinhibition for subdiffraction photolithography
Timothy F Scott
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0424, USA
Science 324:913-7. 2009
..Here, we demonstrate a two-color irradiation scheme whereby initiating species are generated by single-photon absorption at one wavelength while ..
- Color image discriminant models and algorithms for face recognition
Department of Computer Science, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Netw 19:2088-98. 2008
This paper presents a basic color image discriminant (CID) model and its general version for color image recognition. The CID models seek to unify the color image representation and recognition tasks into one framework...
- Effects of the infant stool color card screening program on 5-year outcome of biliary atresia in Taiwan
Tien Hau Lien
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatology 53:202-8. 2011
In Taiwan, a screening system using an infant stool color card to promote the early diagnosis of biliary atresia (BA) was established in 2002...
- The role of predators in maintaining the geographic organization of aposematic signals
Group for Interuniversity Research in Limnology and Aquatic Environment GRIL and Department of Biological Sciences, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7, Canada
Am Nat 178:810-7. 2011
..We tested this assumption by placing clay frog models, representing distinct color morphs of the Peruvian poison dart frog Ranitomeya imitator and a nonconspicuous frog, reciprocally between ..
- Electrophysiological evidence for effects of color knowledge in object recognition
Center for Studies of Psychological Application, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, 510631, China
Neurosci Lett 469:405-10. 2010
..perceptual processes, including N1, P2, and N2, differentiated between objects in their appropriate or congruent color from these objects in an inappropriate or incongruent color...
- Two-color photoactivatable probe for selective tracking of proteins and cells
Edinburgh Cancer Research Centre, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Crewe Road South, Edinburgh EH4 2XR, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 285:11607-16. 2010
..Green Cherry (G(PA)C), the first genetically encoded "continuously red-photoactivatable green" two-color probe for live cell imaging...
- Implementation of a color-capable optofluidic microscope on a RGB CMOS color sensor chip substrate
Department of Electrical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Lab Chip 10:411-4. 2010
We report the implementation of a color-capable on-chip lensless microscope system, termed color optofluidic microscope (color OFM), and demonstrate imaging of double stained Caenorhabditis elegans with lacZ gene expression at a light ..
- The modelling of avian visual perception predicts behavioural rejection responses to foreign egg colours
School of Biosciences, Birmingham University, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Biol Lett 4:515-7. 2008
..Biologically realistic sensory models provide an important tool for relating variability of behavioural responses to perceived phenotypic variation...
- Dietary antioxidants, lipid peroxidation and plumage colouration in nestling blue tits Cyanistes caeruleus
Stephen D Larcombe
Division of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Faculty of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Naturwissenschaften 97:903-13. 2010
..Moreover, interpreting the biological relevance of different biomarkers of antioxidant status represents a challenge for evolutionary ecology...
- Red, rank, and romance in women viewing men
Andrew J Elliot
Department of Clinical and Social Sciences in Psychology, University of Rochester, RC Box 270266, Rochester, NY 14617 0266, USA
J Exp Psychol Gen 139:399-417. 2010
..Participants showed no awareness that the research focused on the influence of color. These findings indicate that color not only has aesthetic value but can carry meaning and impact psychological ..
- Can eggs in a cavity be a female secondary sexual signal? Male nest visits and modelling of egg visual discrimination in blue tits
Marie Jeanne Holveck
Centre d Ecologie Fonctionnelle et Evolutive, CEFE CNRS, Montpellier, France
Biol Lett 6:453-7. 2010
..Consequently, we need a better understanding of underlying visual mechanisms in dim-light environments and behavioural discrimination experiments before confirming the signalling potential of eggshell coloration...
- Molecular evidence for color discrimination in the Atlantic sand fiddler crab, Uca pugilator
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45221, USA
J Exp Biol 213:4240-8. 2010
..Many have species-specific body color patterns that may act as signals for intra- and interspecific communication...
- An ecological valence theory of human color preference
Stephen E Palmer
Department of Psychology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:8877-82. 2010
b>Color preference is an important aspect of visual experience, but little is known about why people in general like some colors more than others...
- Blue or red? Exploring the effect of color on cognitive task performances
Sauder School of Business, University of British Columbia, 2053 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2, Canada
Science 323:1226-9. 2009
Existing research reports inconsistent findings with regard to the effect of color on cognitive task performances. Some research suggests that blue or green leads to better performances than red; other studies record the opposite...