Genomes and Genes
Summary: Positively-charged atomic nuclei that have been stripped of their electrons. These particles have one or more units of electric charge and a mass exceeding that of the Helium-4 nucleus (alpha particle).
Publications262 found, 100 shown here
- Recent advances in the biology of heavy-ion cancer therapyNobuyuki Hamada
Radiation Safety Research Center, Nuclear Technology Research Laboratory, Central Research Institute of Electric Power Industry, Komae, Tokyo, Japan
J Radiat Res 51:365-83. 2010..Immediately after irradiation, heavy ions produce dense ionization along their trajectories, cause irreparable clustered DNA damage, and alter cellular ..
- Heavy ion carcinogenesis and human space explorationMarco Durante
Biophysics group at GSI, Planckstrasse 1, 64291 Darmstadt, Germany
Nat Rev Cancer 8:465-72. 2008..Here, we describe how research in cancer radiobiology can support human missions to Mars and other planets...
- Repair of DNA damage induced by accelerated heavy ions in mammalian cells proficient and deficient in the non-homologous end-joining pathwayRyuichi Okayasu
International Space Radiation Laboratory, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage Ku, Chiba shi 263 8555, Japan
Radiat Res 165:59-67. 2006..This delay was further emphasized in NHEJ-defective 180BR cells. Our results indicate that high-LET radiation induces complex DNA damage that is not easily repaired or is not repaired by NHEJ even at low radiation doses such as 2 Gy...
- Heavy ion beam irradiation regulates the mRNA expression in megakaryocytopoiesis from human hematopoietic stem/progenitor cellsSatoru Monzen
Department of Radiological Life Sciences, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Health Sciences, Hirosaki, Japan
J Radiat Res 50:477-86. 2009..0-fold and a 21.8-fold increase at 6 hr in comparison to the initial control. These results showed that the heavy ion beams affect megakaryocytopoiesis/ erythropoiesis differentiation of human HSPCs on the gene expression level...
- Spatiotemporal analysis of DNA repair using charged particle radiationF Tobias
GSI Helmholtzzentrum fur Schwerionenforschung, Biophysik, Planckstrasse 1, D 64291 Darmstadt, Germany
Mutat Res 704:54-60. 2010..With the help of the microbeam, geometrical patterns of traversing ions can be applied facilitating the analysis of spatial organisation of repair...
- LET dependency of heavy-ion induced apoptosis in V79 cellsM Aoki
Space and Particle Radiation Science Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
J Radiat Res 41:163-75. 2000..13, and 0.24, respectively. A similar trend was found for the RBE values calculated from the initial slope for both apoptosis and reproductive death. These results strongly suggest that the target for both types of cell death is the same...
- Change in radiosensitivity with fractionated-dose irradiation of carbon-ion beams in five different human cell linesM Suzuki
International Space Radiation Laboratory, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 48:251-8. 2000..To investigate the change in the surviving fractions by fractionated-dose irradiations with carbon ions, based on the recovery of potentially lethal damage (PLDR) and the change of radiosensitivity by every fractionated-dose irradiation...
- Persistence of chromosome aberrations in mice acutely exposed to 56Fe+26 ionsJames D Tucker
Department of Biological Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202 3917, USA
Radiat Res 161:648-55. 2004..The health effects of exposure to high-LET radiation in humans on prolonged space flights should remain a matter of concern...
- Gene expression analysis in human malignant melanoma cell lines exposed to carbon beamsYoshitaka Matsumoto
Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 84:299-314. 2008..To elucidate the molecular changes in response to carbon beams (C-ions) in melanoma...
- Accelerated hematopoietic toxicity by high energy (56)Fe radiationKamal Datta
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular and Cell Biology and Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057 1468, USA
Int J Radiat Biol 88:213-22. 2012....
- Biophysical calculation of cell survival probabilities using amorphous track structure models for heavy-ion irradiationYuki Kase
Research Center for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Phys Med Biol 53:37-59. 2008....
- Comparison of the effects of carbon ion and photon irradiation on the angiogenic response in human lung adenocarcinoma cellsFlorentine Kamlah
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiooncology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 80:1541-9. 2011..In this study, we used human lung adenocarcinoma (A549) cells to compare the effects of carbon ion and X-ray irradiation on the cells' angiogenic response...
- Energetic heavy ions accelerate differentiation in the descendants of irradiated normal human diploid fibroblastsNobuyuki Hamada
Department of Quantum Biology, Division of Bioregulatory Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Mutat Res 637:190-6. 2008..Accelerated differentiation may account, at least in part, for dose- and LET-dependent delayed loss of clonogenicity in normal human diploid cells, and could be a defensive mechanism that minimizes further expansion of aberrant cells...
- Proton vs carbon ion beams in the definitive radiation treatment of cancer patientsHerman Suit
Department of Radiation Oncology, Boston, MA, USA
Radiother Oncol 95:3-22. 2010..The principal differences are LET, low for (1)H and high for (12)C, and a narrower penumbra of (12)C beams. Were (12)C to yield a higher TCP for a defined NTCP than (1)H therapy, would LET, fractionation or penumbra width be the basis?..
- Contribution of indirect action to radiation-induced mammalian cell inactivation: dependence on photon energy and heavy-ion LETAtsushi Ito
Course of Energy Engineering, Department of Applied Science, School of Engineering, Tokai University, Hiratsuka shi, Kanagawa 259 1292, Japan
Radiat Res 165:703-12. 2006..4 keV to 1.25 MeV and for heavy ions over the linear energy transfer (LET) range from 20 keV/microm to 440 keV/microm by applying competition ..
- Whole mouse blood microRNA as biomarkers for exposure to γ-rays and (56)Fe ionThomas Templin
Center for Radiological Research, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Biol 87:653-62. 2011..This study investigates to what extent microRNA (miRNA) expression signatures in mouse peripheral blood can be used as biomarkers for exposures to radiation with low and high linear energy transfers...
- Biological imaging of heavy charged-particle tracksB Jakob
Gesellschaft fur Schwerionenforschung, Biophysik, Planckstrasse 1, D 64291 Darmstadt, Germany
Radiat Res 159:676-84. 2003..The results suggest that additional factors like compaction or confined movement of chromatin are responsible for the observed clustering of proteins...
- Redox changes induced in hippocampal precursor cells by heavy ion irradiationC L Limoli
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California Irvine, Medical Sciences I, Room B 149, Irvine, CA 92697 2695, USA
Radiat Environ Biophys 46:167-72. 2007..Given the prevalence of heavy ions in space and the duration of interplanetary travel, these data suggest that astronauts are at risk for ..
- Carbon ion radiotherapy: clinical experiences at National Institute of Radiological Science (NIRS)Tohru Okada
Research Center for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
J Radiat Res 51:355-64. 2010..This means that carbon ion radiotherapy can offer treatment for larger numbers of patients than is possible with other modalities over the same time period...
- A murine model for bone loss from therapeutic and space-relevant sources of radiationS A Hamilton
Dept of Bioengineering, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
J Appl Physiol 101:789-93. 2006..be exposed to extended periods of lower-dose radiation from multiple sources and of multiple types, including heavy ions. Therapeutic doses of radiation have been shown to have deleterious consequences on bone health, occasionally ..
- High LET heavy ion radiation induces lower numbers of initial chromosome breaks with minimal repair than low LET radiation in normal human cellsEmiko Sekine
Heavy Ion Radiobiology Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage Ku, Chiba shi 263 8555, Japan
Mutat Res 652:95-101. 2008..These results at the chromosome level substantiate and extend the notion that high LET radiation produces complex-type DNA double strand breaks (DSBs)...
- Upregulation of stress-response genes with cell cycle arrest induced by carbon ion irradiation in multiple murine tumors modelsKaori Imadome
RadGenomics Project, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage, Chiba, Japan
Cancer Biol Ther 7:208-17. 2008..To elucidate the in vivo biological effects induced by carbon-ion irradiation using comprehensive expression analysis...
- Carbon beam therapy overcomes the radiation resistance of uterine cervical cancer originating from hypoxiaTakashi Nakano
Research Center Hospital of Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 12:2185-90. 2006..However, no proof of this effect has been provided by clinical trials and related clinical research. Hence, we investigated the radiation biological aspects of high LET carbon beam therapy on cervical cancer...
- Radiobiological evaluation and correlation with the local effect model (LEM) of carbon ion radiation therapy and temozolomide in glioblastoma cell linesStephanie E Combs
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Heidelberg
Int J Radiat Biol 85:126-37. 2009..To investigate the cytotoxic effect of high linear-energy transfer (LET) carbon irradiation on glioblastoma cells lines in combination with temozolomide (TMZ)...
- Minor contribution of direct ionization to DNA base damage inducedby heavy ionsThierry Douki
Laboratoire Lesions des Acides Nucleiques, Service de Chimie Inorganique et Biologique UMR E 3 CEA UJF, CEA DSM Département de Recherche Fondamentale sur la Matière Condensée, CEA Grenoble, Grenoble, France
Int J Radiat Biol 82:119-27. 2006The deleterious processes triggered by heavy ions on DNA were studied through the determination of the yield of a series of oxidized bases...
- Relative biological effectiveness for cell-killing effect on various human cell lines irradiated with heavy-ion medical accelerator in Chiba (HIMAC) carbon-ion beamsM Suzuki
International Space Radiation Laboratory, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Anagawa, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 48:241-50. 2000....
- Ground-based research with heavy ions for space radiation protectionM Durante
Department of Physics, University Federico II, Monte S Angelo, Via Cintia, Naples, Italy
Adv Space Res 35:180-4. 2005..High quality accelerator-based research with heavy ions will continue to be the main source of knowledge of space radiation health effects and will lead to reductions ..
- Induction of DNA DSB and its rejoining in clamped and non-clamped tumours after exposure to carbon ion beams in comparison to X raysR Hirayama
Heavy Ion Radiobiology Research Group, Research Center for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 143:508-12. 2011..The yields of DSB in vivo depend on exposure doses, oxygen conditions and rejoining time, but not on the types of radiation quality...
- Mutagenic effects of carbon ions near the range end in plantsYoshihiro Hase
Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Mutat Res 731:41-7. 2012To gain insight into the mutagenic effects of accelerated heavy ions in plants, the mutagenic effects of carbon ions near the range end (mean linear energy transfer (LET): 425keV/μm) were compared with the effects of carbon ions ..
- Mutations induced by heavy charged particlesFumio Yatagai
Advanced Development and Support Center, RIKEN Institute, Wako Shi, Saitama, Japan
Biol Sci Space 18:224-34. 2004..Finally, applications of mutation detection systems for studies in space (section 3) are described, in which the carcinogenic effects of space environmental radiation are considered...
- Severe damage of human megakaryocytopoiesis and thrombopoiesis by heavy-ion beam radiationKenji Takahashi
Department of Bio information Radiation Sciences, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, Hirosaki, Aomori 036 8564, Japan
Radiat Res 168:545-51. 2007b>Heavy ions have a unique efficacy for tumor control in radiotherapy...
- Treatment planning for the layer-stacking irradiation system for three-dimensional conformal heavy-ion radiotherapyNobuyuki Kanematsu
Department of Medical Physics, Research Center for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Med Phys 29:2823-9. 2002..The completed treatment system will provide an option for improved conformal radiotherapy without interfering with the conventional method and we expect a gradual expansion of the clinical cases applicable to the layer-stacking method...
- Recent insights into the biological action of heavy-ion radiationNobuyuki Hamada
Department of Quantum Biology, Division of Bioregulatory Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Gunma, Japan
J Radiat Res 50:1-9. 2009..During cancer therapy or long-term interplanetary manned explorations, humans are exposed to high-LET energetic heavy ions that inactivate cells more effectively than low-LET photons like X-rays and gamma-rays...
- Transmissible and nontransmissible mutations induced by irradiating Arabidopsis thaliana pollen with gamma-rays and carbon ionsKen Naito
Institute of Radiation Breeding, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Ohmiya machi, Naka gun, Ibaraki 319 2293, Japan
Genetics 169:881-9. 2005....
- High-LET radiation induces inflammation and persistent changes in markers of hippocampal neurogenesisRadoslaw Rola
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Radiat Res 164:556-60. 2005..These results indicate that high-LET radiation has a significant and long-lasting effect on the neurogenic population in the hippocampus that involves cell loss and changes in the microenvironment...
- Examination of GyE system for HIMAC carbon therapyTatsuaki Kanai
Department of Medical Physics, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64:650-6. 2006....
- Spectrum of complex DNA damages depends on the incident radiationMegumi Hada
Biology Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York 11973 5000, USA
Radiat Res 165:223-30. 2006..The relative frequencies of DSBs compared to abasic and oxybase clusters were higher for the charged particles-including the high-energy, low-LET protons-than for the ionizing photons...
- Effectiveness of monoenergetic and spread-out bragg peak carbon-ions for inactivation of various normal and tumour human cell linesMauro Belli
Istituto Superiore di Sanità and INFN Sezione di Roma1 Gruppo Collegato di Sanità, Roma, Italy
J Radiat Res 49:597-607. 2008....
- Effects of carbon-ion radiotherapy combined with a novel histone deacetylase inhibitor, cyclic hydroxamic-acid-containing peptide 31 in human esophageal squamous cell carcinomaMasayuki Kano
Department of Frontier Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chuoku, Chiba 260 0856, Japan
Anticancer Res 29:4433-8. 2009..Several studies have evaluated the combination of X-rays and HDACIs, but, to date, no study has evaluated carbon-ion radiotherapy combined with HDACIs...
- Biological effects of space radiation on human cells: history, advances and outcomesMira Maalouf
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U836, groupe de radiobiologie, Paris, France
J Radiat Res 52:126-46. 2011..efforts, the cancer and the toxicity risks remain to be quantified: 1) the nature and the frequency of secondary heavy ions need to be better characterized in order to estimate their contribution to the dose and to the final biological ..
- Simultaneous exposure of mammalian cells to heavy ions and X-raysY Furusawa
National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Adv Space Res 30:877-84. 2002..of mixed high-/low-LET radiation fields, mammalian cells were exposed in vitro simultaneously to X-rays and heavy ions, accelerated at the HIMAC accelerator. X-ray doses ranged from 1 to 11 Gy...
- Gene expression profiling of breast cells induced by X-rays and heavy ionsD Roy
Department of Natural Sciences, Hostos College of the City University of New York, Bronx, NY 10541, USA
Int J Mol Med 21:627-36. 2008..This cell line was exposed to 10, 50, 100 and 200 cGy of either X-rays or heavy ions and gene expression profiles were studied...
- Heavy ions can enhance TGFβ mediated epithelial to mesenchymal transitionMinli Wang
USRA, Division of Life Sciences, Houston, TX 77058, USA
J Radiat Res 53:51-7. 2012..These studies indicate that heavy ions, even at a low dose, may trigger the process of TGFβ1-induced EMT, and suggest further studies are needed to ..
- Repair of skin damage during fractionated irradiation with gamma rays and low-LET carbon ionsKoichi Ando
Heavy Ion Radiobiology Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
J Radiat Res 47:167-74. 2006....
- Comparison of cellular lethality in DNA repair-proficient or -deficient cell lines resulting from exposure to 70 MeV/n protons or 290 MeV/n carbon ionsStefan C Genet
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
Oncol Rep 28:1591-6. 2012..Genetic characterization of patient tumors would be key to individualize and optimize the selection of radiation modality, clinical outcome and treatment cost...
- How costly is particle therapy? Cost analysis of external beam radiotherapy with carbon-ions, protons and photonsAndrea Peeters
Maastricht Radiation Oncology MAASTRO Clinic, 6229 ET Maastricht, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 95:45-53. 2010..Particle therapy has potentially a better therapeutic ratio than photon therapy. However, investment costs are much higher. This study provides an estimation and comparison of the costs of these therapies...
- Tumor cell migration is not influenced by p21 in colon carcinoma cell lines after irradiation with X-ray or (12)C heavy ionsKristina Goetze
Institute of Physiology and Pathophysiology, University Medical Centre of the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Duesbergweg 6, 55128 Mainz, Germany
Radiat Environ Biophys 49:427-35. 2010..radiation treatment and even more for the cellular and molecular effects of therapeutically relevant (12)C heavy ions. The present study is therefore focused on the investigation of tumor cell migration in vitro after irradiation ..
- Recent innovations in carbon-ion radiotherapyShinichi Minohara
Department of Accelerator and Medical Physics, Research Center for Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage, Chiba, Japan
J Radiat Res 51:385-92. 2010..A great advantage of the active beam shaping method is patient-specific collimator-less and compensator-less treatment. This may be an interesting potential for adaptive radiotherapy...
- Reduced contribution of thermally labile sugar lesions to DNA double strand break formation after exposure to heavy ionsSatyendra K Singh
Institute of Medical Radiation Biology, University of Duisburg Essen Medical School, Hufelandstr 55, Essen, 45122, Germany
Radiat Oncol 8:77. 2013..The consequences of these effects to the relative biological effectiveness are discussed...
- LET dependence of lethality of carbon ion irradiation to single tobacco cellsY Yokota
Laboratory of Plant Breeding Science, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto Prefectural University, Hangi machi 1 5, Shimogamo, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8522 Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 79:681-5. 2003To determine the radiation sensitivity and relationship between linear energy transfer (LET) and relative biological effectiveness (RBE) in single plant cells irradiated with heavy ions.
- Chromosome damage in human cells by γ rays, α particles and heavy ions: track interactions in basic dose-response relationshipsBradford D Loucas
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
Radiat Res 179:9-20. 2013..While such track interaction had been previously theorized, to the best of our knowledge, it has never been demonstrated experimentally...
- Biological dose calculation with Monte Carlo physics simulation for heavy-ion radiotherapyYuki Kase
Department of Accelerator and Medical Physics, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Phys Med Biol 51:N467-75. 2006..This study demonstrates that the Monte Carlo physics simulation technique can be applied to improve the accuracy of the biological dose distribution in treatment planning of heavy-ion radiotherapy...
- LET dependence of lethality in Arabidopsis thaliana irradiated by heavy ionsNaoya Shikazono
Department of Radiation Research for Environment and Resources, Takasaki Radiation Chemistry Research Establishment, Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute JAERI, Takasaki, Gunma, 370 1292, Japan
Radiat Environ Biophys 41:159-62. 2002To clarify the effect of heavy ions in plants, dry seeds of Arabidopsis were irradiated with carbon, neon, and argon ions with various linear energy transfer (LET) values...
- Sensitive detection of LOH events in a human cell line after C-ion beam exposureShigeko Morimoto
Division of Radioisotope Technology, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
J Radiat Res 43:S163-7. 2002..In addition, an enhanced misrepair of C-ion-induced DSBs might also account for the induction of radiation-specific hemizygous-type LOH...
- Clustered DNA damage induced by heavy ion particlesHiroaki Terato
Department of Mathematical and Life Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima, Japan
Biol Sci Space 18:206-15. 2004..In this article, we review methods used to detect clustered DNA damage, and the current status of our understanding of the chemical nature and repair of clustered DNA damage...
- Design study of a raster scanning system for moving target irradiation in heavy-ion radiotherapyTakuji Furukawa
Medical Physics Research Group, Research Center for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Med Phys 34:1085-97. 2007..The result shows the possibility of practical realization of moving target irradiation with pencil beam scanning. We describe the present status of our design study of the raster scanning system for the HIMAC new treatment facility...
- Chlorophyll-deficient mutants of rice demonstrated the deletion of a DNA fragment by heavy-ion irradiationTomoko Abe
Plant Functions Lab RIKEN, Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
J Radiat Res 43:S157-61. 2002..We found that one of the polymorphic spots was strongly linked to the albino phenotypic mutant derived from deleting of a DNA fragment, and demonstrated the high ability to detect of polymorphic regions by the RLGS method...
- Early and delayed reproductive death in human cells exposed to high energy iron ion beamsD Bettega
Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita degli Studi di Milano and INFN Sezione di Milano, Milano, Italy
Adv Space Res 35:280-5. 2005..6 and 3 for early and delayed reproductive death, respectively. Analysis of the fluence-effect curves shows that the cross-sections for early and delayed inactivation increase with increasing LET up to 442 keV/micrometers...
- Carbon-ion-induced activation of the NF-κB pathwayChristine E Hellweg
German Aerospace Centre DLR, Institute of Aerospace Medicine, Radiation Biology, Linder Hohe, D 51147 Köln, Germany
Radiat Res 175:424-31. 2011..Carbon ions and X rays had a comparable potential to activate NF-κB in human cells, indicating a comparable usefulness of pharmacological NF-κB inhibition during photon and carbon-ion radiotherapy...
- Terminal maturation of megakaryocytes and platelet production by hematopoietic stem cells irradiated with heavy-ion beamsSatoru Monzen
Department of Radiological Life Sciences, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Health Sciences, 66 1 Hon cho, Hirosaki, Aomori 036 8564, Japan
Radiat Res 176:8-16. 2011....
- Exploration of "over kill effect" of high-LET Ar- and Fe-ions by evaluating the fraction of non-hit cell and interphase deathParinaz Mehnati
Department of Medical Biophysics and Radiation Biology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Radiat Res 46:343-50. 2005..These suggest that the increase in non-hit fraction and sigma[R] with an increasing LET is caused by enhanced clustering of ionization and DNA damage which lowers the energy efficiency for producing damage and RBE...
- Truly incomplete and complex exchanges in prematurely condensed chromosomes of human fibroblasts exposed in vitro to energetic heavy ionsHonglu Wu
National Space Biomedical Research Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas 77058, USA
Radiat Res 160:418-24. 2003..Results showed that the frequency of unrejoined chromosome breaks was higher after irradiation with the heavy ions of high LET, and consequently the ratio of incomplete to complete exchanges increased steadily with LET up to ..
- mFISH analysis of chromosomal damage in bone marrow cells collected from CBA/CaJ mice following whole body exposure to heavy ions (56Fe ions)K Noy Rithidech
Pathology Department, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8691, USA
Radiat Environ Biophys 46:137-45. 2007To date, there is scant information on in vivo induction of chromosomal damage by heavy ions found in space (i.e. 56Fe ions)...
- The analysis of the densely populated patterns of radiation-induced foci by a stochastic, Monte Carlo model of DNA double-strand breaks induction by heavy ionsArtem L Ponomarev
Universities Space Research Association USRA, Houston, TX, USA
Int J Radiat Biol 86:507-15. 2010..To resolve the difficulty in counting merged DNA damage foci in high-LET (linear energy transfer) ion-induced patterns...
- Ascorbic acid gives different protective effects in human cells exposed to X-rays and heavy ionsYoshihiro Fujii
Research Center for Charged Particle Therapy, Heavy Ion Radiobiology Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage Ku, Chiba shi, Japan
Mutat Res 699:58-61. 2010..and sister chromatid exchanges (SCEs) were examined in normal human fibroblasts irradiated with X-rays and heavy ions. Post-irradiation treatment with 5mM ascorbic acid for 24 h in plateau phase (non-cycling) cells enhanced cell ..
- X-ray-induced radioresistance against high-LET radiations from accelerated heavy ions in miceBing Wang
Research Center for Radiation Protection, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Anagawa 4 9 1, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Radiat Res 174:532-6. 2010..of an adaptive response by priming X rays in combination with challenge irradiations from high-LET accelerated heavy ions was attempted in young adult female C57BL/6J Jms mice using 30-day survival after the challenge irradiations as ..
- Tissue slice cultures from humans or rodents: a new tool to evaluate biological effects of heavy ionsFelicitas Merz
Institute of Anatomy, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr 13, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Radiat Environ Biophys 49:457-62. 2010..slice culture preparations from rodents and humans as a new model system for studying effects of X-rays and heavy ions within normal and tumor tissues...
- Effects of low-dose heavy ions on the postnatal development of mice and the yield of white spots in the mid-ventrum and tail-tipsTomohisa Hirobe
Radiation Effect Mechanisms Research Group, Research Center for Radiation Protection, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba
J Radiat Res 52:278-86. 2011Effects of prenatal low-dose irradiations of heavy ions on the postnatal development of mice and of melanocytes have not been well studied...
- AT cells show dissimilar hypersensitivity to heavy-ion and X-rays irradiationShoichiro Kitajima
Central Laboratory and Radiation Biology, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
J Radiat Res 51:251-5. 2010..The DSBs remaining after heavy-ion irradiation suggested defects in the AT cells' DSB repair ability...
- Dose escalation study of carbon ion radiotherapy for locally advanced head-and-neck cancerJun etsu Mizoe
Hospital, Research Center of Charged Particle, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 60:358-64. 2004..To evaluate the toxicity and efficacy of carbon ion radiotherapy for head-and-neck cancer in a Phase I/II dose escalation clinical trial...
- Incidence of acute myeloid leukemia and hepatocellular carcinoma in mice irradiated with 1 GeV/nucleon (56)Fe ionsMichael M Weil
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences and, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Radiat Res 172:213-9. 2009..These data suggest a difference in the effects of HZE iron ions on the induction of leukemia compared to solid tumors, suggesting potentially different mechanisms of tumorigenesis...
- Proliferation and cell death of human glioblastoma cells after carbon-ion beam exposure: morphologic and morphometric analysesTakuma Oishi
Department of Human Pathology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Neuropathology 28:408-16. 2008..Our results indicated that the increase of large cells with enlarged and bizarre nuclei, swollen mitochondria, and secondary lysosome occurred in glioblastoma cells after carbon-beam exposure...
- Heavy ions, radioprotectors and genomic instability: implications for human space explorationJaroslaw Dziegielewski
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Radiat Environ Biophys 49:303-16. 2010..Further, this review discusses some implications of radioprotection for the induction and/or propagation of genomic instability in the progeny of irradiated cells...
- The radiobiological effectiveness of carbon-ion beams on growing neuronsWael S Al-Jahdari
Department of Radiation Oncology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Gunma, Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 85:700-9. 2009..However, the biological effect of carbon-ion beams arising on normal neuron remains unknown. Therefore, this study was undertaken to investigate the effect of carbon-ion beams on neurons by using both morphological and functional assays...
- Microirradiation of cells with energetic heavy ionsA Hauptner
Physics Department E12, Technische Universitat Munchen, 85748 Garching, Germany
Radiat Environ Biophys 42:237-45. 2004..In spite of single ion irradiation, we frequently observed split fluorescence foci which might be explained by small-scale chromatin movements...
- Cytotoxic effects of low- and high-LET radiation on human neuronal progenitor cells: induction of apoptosis and TP53 gene expressionPeter Guida
Medical Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York 11973, USA
Radiat Res 164:545-51. 2005..The RBE(max) for apoptosis 48 h after exposure was at least 3.4. In short, exposure to high-LET radiation results in a more efficient and greater induction of apoptosis in human neuronal progenitor cells than low-LET radiation...
- Non-randomized therapy trial to determine the safety and efficacy of heavy ion radiotherapy in patients with non-resectable osteosarcomaClaudia Blattmann
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Immunology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 154, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Cancer 10:96. 2010..They achieve a higher relative biological effectiveness. Phase I/II dose escalation studies of HIT in adults with non-resectable bone and soft tissue sarcomas have already shown favorable results...
- In vitro interaction of high-LET heavy-ion irradiation and chemotherapeutic agents in two cell lines with different radiosensitivities and different p53 statusTakeo Takahashi
Department of Radiation Oncology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 22 Showa machi, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
Anticancer Res 30:1961-7. 2010....
- Clustered DNA damages induced by high and low LET radiation, including heavy ionsB M Sutherland
Biology Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973, USA
Phys Med 17:202-4. 2001..e. two independent hits are not required for cluster induction. Further, among all complex damages, double strand breaks comprise--at most-- ~20%, with the other clustered damages being at least 80%...
- Molecular characterization of microbial mutations induced by ion beam irradiationHiroyuki Ichida
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Chiba University, Matsudo, Chiba 271 8510, Japan
Mutat Res 639:101-7. 2008..We found also that ion beams, particularly "heavier" ion beams, can produce single gene disruptions and may present an effective alternative to transgenic approaches...
- Heavy-ion-induced mutations in the gpt delta transgenic mouse: comparison of mutation spectra induced by heavy-ion, X-ray, and gamma-ray radiationKen ichi Masumura
Division of Genetics and Mutagenesis, National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Environ Mol Mutagen 40:207-15. 2002..These results suggest that heavy-ion beam irradiation is effective at inducing deletions via DNA double-strand breaks but less effective than X-ray and gamma-ray irradiation at producing oxidative DNA damage by free radicals...
- DNA damage recognition proteins localize along heavy ion induced tracks in the cell nucleusAkihisa Takahashi
Department of Biology, School of Medicine, Nara Medical University, Nara, Japan
J Radiat Res 49:645-52. 2008..Antibodies for all these phosphorylated DNA DSB recognition proteins appear to be very effective for the detection and localization of DSB...
- Chromatid-type aberrations following irradiation in G0 lymphocytes with heavy ionsWang Zhuanzi
Radiobiology Laboratory, Institute of Modern Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Lanzhou 730000, Gansu Province, China
Mutat Res 617:98-103. 2007..6 keV/microm), almost absent at the energy of either 58.6 MeV/n (46.07 keV/ microm) or 19.3 MeV/n (97 keV/microm), nor were they found after low-LET X-rays. Mechanisms potentially responsible for their formation are discussed...
- Temporally distinct response of irradiated normal human fibroblasts and their bystander cells to energetic heavy ionsNobuyuki Hamada
Department of Quantum Biology, Division of Bioregulatory Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
Mutat Res 639:35-44. 2008..Collectively, our results indicate that heavy ions inactivate clonogenic potential of bystander cells, and that the time course of the response to heavy ions ..
- Outcomes of visual acuity in carbon ion radiotherapy: analysis of dose-volume histograms and prognostic factorsAzusa Hasegawa
Hospital, Charged Particle Research Center, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64:396-401. 2006..To analyze the tolerance dose for retention of visual acuity in patients with head-and-neck tumors treated with carbon ion radiotherapy...
- Estimation of radiation tolerance to high LET heavy ions in an anhydrobiotic insect, Polypedilum vanderplankiMasahiko Watanabe
Anhydrobiosis Research Unit, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Ohwashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 82:835-42. 2006..2 keV/microm). However, its tolerance against high LET radiation remains unknown. The aim of this study is to characterize the tolerance to high-LET radiations of P. vanderplanki...
- A system for three-dimensional dosimetric verification of treatment plans in intensity-modulated radiotherapy with heavy ionsC P Karger
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Abteilung Medizinische Physik, Heidelberg, Germany
Med Phys 26:2125-32. 1999..The system allows efficient verification and documentation of carbon ion fields and is in principle also applicable to intensity-modulated photon beams...
- Protective effects of melatonin against low- and high-LET irradiationGuangming Zhou
Radiobiology Group, Institute of Modern Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
J Radiat Res 47:175-81. 2006..The results suggest that melatonin reduces the direct interaction of particles with cells rather than an indirect interaction. Further studies are required to disclose the underlying mechanisms...
- Chromosome aberration yields and apoptosis in human lymphocytes irradiated with Fe-ions of differing LETR Lee
Biophysik, Gesellschaft fur Schwerionenforschung, Darmstadt, Germany
Adv Space Res 35:268-75. 2005..The significance of this observation for the estimation of the health risk associated with space radiation remains to be elucidated...
- Tumor induction in mice locally irradiated with carbon ions: a retrospective analysisKoichi Ando
Heavy Ion Radiobiology Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
J Radiat Res 46:185-90. 2005..2 for tumor induction and 1.9 for early skin reaction. We conclude that risk of secondary tumor induction by carbon-ion radiotherapy would not be seriously higher than anticipated...
- DNA DSB induced by iron ions in human fibroblasts: LET dependence and shielding efficiencyG Esposito
Laboratorio di Fisica, Technology and Health Department, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Adv Space Res 35:243-8. 2005..Protection is only observed at high iron ions energy, especially at 5 GeV/u, where PMMA shield gives higher protection compared to Al or Pb shields of the same thickness expressed in g/cm2...
- High LET-induced H2AX phosphorylation around the Bragg curveN Desai
NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Adv Space Res 35:236-42. 2005....
- Analysis of secondary electron emission spectra of equal-LET protons and alpha particles for purposes of radiation quality and spaceflight hazard assessmentP A Craven
Institute of Cancer Research, University of London, London, UK
Adv Space Res 35:300-4. 2005..Such a method for numerically assessing radiation quality may have implications for procedures for heavy ion protection in space at low doses and for understanding the initial mechanisms of radiation action...
- Investigation of heavy-ion-induced sucrose radicals by electron paramagnetic resonanceKouichi Nakagawa
RI Research Center, Fukushima Medical University, 1 Hikarigaoka, Fukushima, 960 1295, Japan
Radiat Res 164:336-8. 2005..In addition, the EPR response had a linear relationship with dose in the dose range of 5-60 Gy. Thus the present EPR results show that sucrose can be used to monitor the ionizing particle based on the radical yield...
- Mice heterozygous for the ATM gene are more sensitive to both X-ray and heavy ion exposure than are wildtypesB V Worgul
Eye Radiation and Environmental Research Laboratory, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Adv Space Res 35:254-9. 2005..The data show that heterozygosity for the ATM gene predisposes the eye to the cataractogenic influence of heavy ions and suggest that ATM heterozygotes in the human population may also be radiosensitive...
- Confocal fluorescent imaging of tracks from heavy charged particles utilising new Al2O3:C,Mg crystalsMark S Akselrod
Landauer, Inc, Stillwater Crystal Growth Division, 723 1 2 Eastgate Road, Stillwater, OK 74074, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 119:357-62. 2006..Fast neutrons were detected using recoil protons produced in a polyethylene radiator installed in front of the crystalline detector. Three-dimensional reconstruction of a recoil proton propagating through the crystal was demonstrated...
- High relative biologic effectiveness of carbon ion radiation on induction of rat mammary carcinoma and its lack of H-ras and Tp53 mutationsTatsuhiko Imaoka
Experimental Radiobiology for Children s Health Research Group, Anagawa, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:194-203. 2007..We undertook the present study to clarify the RBE of therapeutic carbon ion radiation and molecular changes that occur in the rat mammary cancer model...
- Doses and LET spectra in the beam of 12C with energy 500 MeV amu-1Iva Jadrnícková
Department of Radiation Dosimetry, Nuclear Physics Institute AS CR, Na Truhlářce 39 64, 18086 Prague 8, Czech Republic
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 122:488-90. 2006..Data measured by means of a diamond detector and a spectrometer of linear energy transfer (LET) based on chemically etched track detectors are presented, analysed and discussed. LET spectra are also calculated by program SRIM...
- Experimental fragmentation studies with 12C therapy beamsE Haettner
Biophysik, Gesellschaft fur Schwerionenforschung, Planckstr 1, D 64291 Darmstadt, Germany
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 122:485-7. 2006..The preliminary results include energy- and angular distributions, fragment yields, build-up curves and attenuation of the primary carbon projectiles...
- Visualizing the dose distribution and linear energy transfer by 1D and 2D ESR imaging: a potassium dithionate dosimeter irradiated with C6+ and N7+ ionsHakan Gustafsson
J Phys Chem B 112:8437-42. 2008..and linear energy transfer (LET) in a potassium dithionate, K2S2O6 (PDT), dosimeter irradiated with the heavy ions C(6+) and N(7+)...
- Mammalian cells loaded with platinum-containing molecules are sensitized to fast atomic ionsN Usami
Photon Factory, Institute of Materials Structure Science, High Energy Accelerator Research Organization, Oho, Tsukuba, Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 84:603-11. 2008..The experiment consists in irradiating by fast ions cultured cells previously exposed to dichloroterpyridine Platinum (PtTC) and analyzing cell survival by a colony-forming assay...
- AGING, RADIATION & DNA DAMAGE IN NONDIVIDING TISSUEJOHN LETT; Fiscal Year: 1980..Such studies are mutually complementary with experiments of the effects of heavy ions that are being conducted for NASA. 4...
- GEV HEAVY-ION AND 200 KV X-RAY EXCITATION OF DNAMalcolm Daniels; Fiscal Year: 1980..Excitation sources will be 200kV X-ray, GeV heavy ions, 60Co gamma-rays, and synchrotron radiation...
- Radiation-Induced Mutagenesis and Apoptotic RegulationAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is the secondary mutations that lead to advance, aggressive disease in people. ..
- HIGH LET RADIATION & GENOMIC INSTABILITY IN HUMAN CELLSAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results obtained with low fluence iron-ion exposures will serve as a model for terrestrial exposures to radon and neutrons. ..
- Electron Transport in Tissue-Like MaterialLARRY TOBUREN; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results will enhance our effort to establish clinically relevant radiation treatment with a better understanding of potential damage to healthy tissue. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Chemotherapy with injectable microdropletsFRANCESCO D ERRICO; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Eighth International Workshop on Radiation Damage to DNAKATHRYN HELD; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HIGH ENERGY IONS AND GENOMIC INSTABILITYEric Hall; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Prediction of Second Cancer Risks for Children Treated with Proton - vs. - PhotonWayne D Newhauser; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the future, we expect that the lower-risk treatments will result in fewer second cancers and this will translate into longer, higher-quality lives for survivors of childhood cancer (presently 270,000 persons in the United States). ..
- Magnetic Flow Sorter for Pancreatic Islet IsolationPaul Todd; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Magnetic Sorter Channels for Stem CellsPaul Todd; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ENHANCED APOPTOSIS BY TARGETING PROTEIN REDOX STATUSMohan Natarajan; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..