Genomes and Genes
Summary: Positively-charged atomic nuclei that have been stripped of their electrons. These particles have one or more units of electric charge and a mass exceeding that of the Helium-4 nucleus (alpha particle).
Publications241 found, 100 shown here
- Heavy ion carcinogenesis and human space explorationMarco Durante
Biophysics group at GSI, Planckstrasse 1, 64291 Darmstadt, Germany
Nat Rev Cancer 8:465-72. 2008..Here, we describe how research in cancer radiobiology can support human missions to Mars and other planets...
- Proton vs carbon ion beams in the definitive radiation treatment of cancer patientsHerman Suit
Department of Radiation Oncology, Boston, MA, USA
Radiother Oncol 95:3-22. 2010..The principal differences are LET, low for (1)H and high for (12)C, and a narrower penumbra of (12)C beams. Were (12)C to yield a higher TCP for a defined NTCP than (1)H therapy, would LET, fractionation or penumbra width be the basis?..
- Contribution of indirect action to radiation-induced mammalian cell inactivation: dependence on photon energy and heavy-ion LETAtsushi Ito
Course of Energy Engineering, Department of Applied Science, School of Engineering, Tokai University, Hiratsuka shi, Kanagawa 259 1292, Japan
Radiat Res 165:703-12. 2006..4 keV to 1.25 MeV and for heavy ions over the linear energy transfer (LET) range from 20 keV/microm to 440 keV/microm by applying competition ..
- Redox changes induced in hippocampal precursor cells by heavy ion irradiationC L Limoli
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California Irvine, Medical Sciences I, Room B 149, Irvine, CA 92697 2695, USA
Radiat Environ Biophys 46:167-72. 2007..Given the prevalence of heavy ions in space and the duration of interplanetary travel, these data suggest that astronauts are at risk for ..
- Spatiotemporal analysis of DNA repair using charged particle radiationF Tobias
GSI Helmholtzzentrum fur Schwerionenforschung, Biophysik, Planckstrasse 1, D 64291 Darmstadt, Germany
Mutat Res 704:54-60. 2010..With the help of the microbeam, geometrical patterns of traversing ions can be applied facilitating the analysis of spatial organisation of repair...
- Repair of DNA damage induced by accelerated heavy ions in mammalian cells proficient and deficient in the non-homologous end-joining pathwayRyuichi Okayasu
International Space Radiation Laboratory, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage Ku, Chiba shi 263 8555, Japan
Radiat Res 165:59-67. 2006..This delay was further emphasized in NHEJ-defective 180BR cells. Our results indicate that high-LET radiation induces complex DNA damage that is not easily repaired or is not repaired by NHEJ even at low radiation doses such as 2 Gy...
- Recent advances in the biology of heavy-ion cancer therapyNobuyuki Hamada
Radiation Safety Research Center, Nuclear Technology Research Laboratory, Central Research Institute of Electric Power Industry, Komae, Tokyo, Japan
J Radiat Res 51:365-83. 2010..Immediately after irradiation, heavy ions produce dense ionization along their trajectories, cause irreparable clustered DNA damage, and alter cellular ..
- A murine model for bone loss from therapeutic and space-relevant sources of radiationS A Hamilton
Dept of Bioengineering, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
J Appl Physiol 101:789-93. 2006..be exposed to extended periods of lower-dose radiation from multiple sources and of multiple types, including heavy ions. Therapeutic doses of radiation have been shown to have deleterious consequences on bone health, occasionally ..
- Treatment planning for the layer-stacking irradiation system for three-dimensional conformal heavy-ion radiotherapyNobuyuki Kanematsu
Department of Medical Physics, Research Center for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Med Phys 29:2823-9. 2002..The completed treatment system will provide an option for improved conformal radiotherapy without interfering with the conventional method and we expect a gradual expansion of the clinical cases applicable to the layer-stacking method...
- Heavy ion beam irradiation regulates the mRNA expression in megakaryocytopoiesis from human hematopoietic stem/progenitor cellsSatoru Monzen
Department of Radiological Life Sciences, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Health Sciences, Hirosaki, Japan
J Radiat Res 50:477-86. 2009..0-fold and a 21.8-fold increase at 6 hr in comparison to the initial control. These results showed that the heavy ion beams affect megakaryocytopoiesis/ erythropoiesis differentiation of human HSPCs on the gene expression level...
- Severe damage of human megakaryocytopoiesis and thrombopoiesis by heavy-ion beam radiationKenji Takahashi
Department of Bio information Radiation Sciences, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Medicine, Hirosaki, Aomori 036 8564, Japan
Radiat Res 168:545-51. 2007b>Heavy ions have a unique efficacy for tumor control in radiotherapy...
- Comparison of the effects of carbon ion and photon irradiation on the angiogenic response in human lung adenocarcinoma cellsFlorentine Kamlah
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiooncology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 80:1541-9. 2011..In this study, we used human lung adenocarcinoma (A549) cells to compare the effects of carbon ion and X-ray irradiation on the cells' angiogenic response...
- High-LET radiation induces inflammation and persistent changes in markers of hippocampal neurogenesisRadoslaw Rola
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Radiat Res 164:556-60. 2005..These results indicate that high-LET radiation has a significant and long-lasting effect on the neurogenic population in the hippocampus that involves cell loss and changes in the microenvironment...
- Energetic heavy ions accelerate differentiation in the descendants of irradiated normal human diploid fibroblastsNobuyuki Hamada
Department of Quantum Biology, Division of Bioregulatory Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Mutat Res 637:190-6. 2008..Accelerated differentiation may account, at least in part, for dose- and LET-dependent delayed loss of clonogenicity in normal human diploid cells, and could be a defensive mechanism that minimizes further expansion of aberrant cells...
- How costly is particle therapy? Cost analysis of external beam radiotherapy with carbon-ions, protons and photonsAndrea Peeters
Maastricht Radiation Oncology MAASTRO Clinic, 6229 ET Maastricht, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 95:45-53. 2010..Particle therapy has potentially a better therapeutic ratio than photon therapy. However, investment costs are much higher. This study provides an estimation and comparison of the costs of these therapies...
- Accelerated hematopoietic toxicity by high energy (56)Fe radiationKamal Datta
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular and Cell Biology and Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, Georgetown University, Washington, DC 20057 1468, USA
Int J Radiat Biol 88:213-22. 2012....
- Simultaneous exposure of mammalian cells to heavy ions and X-raysY Furusawa
National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Adv Space Res 30:877-84. 2002..of mixed high-/low-LET radiation fields, mammalian cells were exposed in vitro simultaneously to X-rays and heavy ions, accelerated at the HIMAC accelerator. X-ray doses ranged from 1 to 11 Gy...
- Recent insights into the biological action of heavy-ion radiationNobuyuki Hamada
Department of Quantum Biology, Division of Bioregulatory Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Gunma, Japan
J Radiat Res 50:1-9. 2009..During cancer therapy or long-term interplanetary manned explorations, humans are exposed to high-LET energetic heavy ions that inactivate cells more effectively than low-LET photons like X-rays and gamma-rays...
- Transmissible and nontransmissible mutations induced by irradiating Arabidopsis thaliana pollen with gamma-rays and carbon ionsKen Naito
Institute of Radiation Breeding, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Ohmiya machi, Naka gun, Ibaraki 319 2293, Japan
Genetics 169:881-9. 2005....
- Heavy ions can enhance TGFβ mediated epithelial to mesenchymal transitionMinli Wang
USRA, Division of Life Sciences, Houston, TX 77058, USA
J Radiat Res 53:51-7. 2012..These studies indicate that heavy ions, even at a low dose, may trigger the process of TGFβ1-induced EMT, and suggest further studies are needed to ..
- Relative biological effectiveness for cell-killing effect on various human cell lines irradiated with heavy-ion medical accelerator in Chiba (HIMAC) carbon-ion beamsM Suzuki
International Space Radiation Laboratory, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Anagawa, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 48:241-50. 2000....
- Effects of carbon-ion radiotherapy combined with a novel histone deacetylase inhibitor, cyclic hydroxamic-acid-containing peptide 31 in human esophageal squamous cell carcinomaMasayuki Kano
Department of Frontier Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chuoku, Chiba 260 0856, Japan
Anticancer Res 29:4433-8. 2009..Several studies have evaluated the combination of X-rays and HDACIs, but, to date, no study has evaluated carbon-ion radiotherapy combined with HDACIs...
- Sensitive detection of LOH events in a human cell line after C-ion beam exposureShigeko Morimoto
Division of Radioisotope Technology, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research RIKEN, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
J Radiat Res 43:S163-7. 2002..In addition, an enhanced misrepair of C-ion-induced DSBs might also account for the induction of radiation-specific hemizygous-type LOH...
- Persistence of chromosome aberrations in mice acutely exposed to 56Fe+26 ionsJames D Tucker
Department of Biological Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202 3917, USA
Radiat Res 161:648-55. 2004..The health effects of exposure to high-LET radiation in humans on prolonged space flights should remain a matter of concern...
- LET dependency of heavy-ion induced apoptosis in V79 cellsM Aoki
Space and Particle Radiation Science Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
J Radiat Res 41:163-75. 2000..13, and 0.24, respectively. A similar trend was found for the RBE values calculated from the initial slope for both apoptosis and reproductive death. These results strongly suggest that the target for both types of cell death is the same...
- Clustered DNA damage induced by heavy ion particlesHiroaki Terato
Department of Mathematical and Life Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima, Japan
Biol Sci Space 18:206-15. 2004..In this article, we review methods used to detect clustered DNA damage, and the current status of our understanding of the chemical nature and repair of clustered DNA damage...
- Carbon beam therapy overcomes the radiation resistance of uterine cervical cancer originating from hypoxiaTakashi Nakano
Research Center Hospital of Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 12:2185-90. 2006..However, no proof of this effect has been provided by clinical trials and related clinical research. Hence, we investigated the radiation biological aspects of high LET carbon beam therapy on cervical cancer...
- Carbon-ion-induced activation of the NF-κB pathwayChristine E Hellweg
German Aerospace Centre DLR, Institute of Aerospace Medicine, Radiation Biology, Linder Hohe, D 51147 Köln, Germany
Radiat Res 175:424-31. 2011..Carbon ions and X rays had a comparable potential to activate NF-κB in human cells, indicating a comparable usefulness of pharmacological NF-κB inhibition during photon and carbon-ion radiotherapy...
- Gene expression analysis in human malignant melanoma cell lines exposed to carbon beamsYoshitaka Matsumoto
Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 84:299-314. 2008..To elucidate the molecular changes in response to carbon beams (C-ions) in melanoma...
- Chlorophyll-deficient mutants of rice demonstrated the deletion of a DNA fragment by heavy-ion irradiationTomoko Abe
Plant Functions Lab RIKEN, Hirosawa, Wako Shi, Saitama 351 0198, Japan
J Radiat Res 43:S157-61. 2002..We found that one of the polymorphic spots was strongly linked to the albino phenotypic mutant derived from deleting of a DNA fragment, and demonstrated the high ability to detect of polymorphic regions by the RLGS method...
- Terminal maturation of megakaryocytes and platelet production by hematopoietic stem cells irradiated with heavy-ion beamsSatoru Monzen
Department of Radiological Life Sciences, Hirosaki University Graduate School of Health Sciences, 66 1 Hon cho, Hirosaki, Aomori 036 8564, Japan
Radiat Res 176:8-16. 2011....
- Design study of a raster scanning system for moving target irradiation in heavy-ion radiotherapyTakuji Furukawa
Medical Physics Research Group, Research Center for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Med Phys 34:1085-97. 2007..The result shows the possibility of practical realization of moving target irradiation with pencil beam scanning. We describe the present status of our design study of the raster scanning system for the HIMAC new treatment facility...
- Early and delayed reproductive death in human cells exposed to high energy iron ion beamsD Bettega
Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita degli Studi di Milano and INFN Sezione di Milano, Milano, Italy
Adv Space Res 35:280-5. 2005..6 and 3 for early and delayed reproductive death, respectively. Analysis of the fluence-effect curves shows that the cross-sections for early and delayed inactivation increase with increasing LET up to 442 keV/micrometers...
- Exploration of "over kill effect" of high-LET Ar- and Fe-ions by evaluating the fraction of non-hit cell and interphase deathParinaz Mehnati
Department of Medical Biophysics and Radiation Biology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Radiat Res 46:343-50. 2005..These suggest that the increase in non-hit fraction and sigma[R] with an increasing LET is caused by enhanced clustering of ionization and DNA damage which lowers the energy efficiency for producing damage and RBE...
- Tissue slice cultures from humans or rodents: a new tool to evaluate biological effects of heavy ionsFelicitas Merz
Institute of Anatomy, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr 13, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Radiat Environ Biophys 49:457-62. 2010..slice culture preparations from rodents and humans as a new model system for studying effects of X-rays and heavy ions within normal and tumor tissues...
- Effects of low-dose heavy ions on the postnatal development of mice and the yield of white spots in the mid-ventrum and tail-tipsTomohisa Hirobe
Radiation Effect Mechanisms Research Group, Research Center for Radiation Protection, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba
J Radiat Res 52:278-86. 2011Effects of prenatal low-dose irradiations of heavy ions on the postnatal development of mice and of melanocytes have not been well studied...
- X-ray-induced radioresistance against high-LET radiations from accelerated heavy ions in miceBing Wang
Research Center for Radiation Protection, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Anagawa 4 9 1, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Radiat Res 174:532-6. 2010..of an adaptive response by priming X rays in combination with challenge irradiations from high-LET accelerated heavy ions was attempted in young adult female C57BL/6J Jms mice using 30-day survival after the challenge irradiations as ..
- Ascorbic acid gives different protective effects in human cells exposed to X-rays and heavy ionsYoshihiro Fujii
Research Center for Charged Particle Therapy, Heavy Ion Radiobiology Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage Ku, Chiba shi, Japan
Mutat Res 699:58-61. 2010..and sister chromatid exchanges (SCEs) were examined in normal human fibroblasts irradiated with X-rays and heavy ions. Post-irradiation treatment with 5mM ascorbic acid for 24 h in plateau phase (non-cycling) cells enhanced cell ..
- mFISH analysis of chromosomal damage in bone marrow cells collected from CBA/CaJ mice following whole body exposure to heavy ions (56Fe ions)K Noy Rithidech
Pathology Department, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8691, USA
Radiat Environ Biophys 46:137-45. 2007To date, there is scant information on in vivo induction of chromosomal damage by heavy ions found in space (i.e. 56Fe ions)...
- Truly incomplete and complex exchanges in prematurely condensed chromosomes of human fibroblasts exposed in vitro to energetic heavy ionsHonglu Wu
National Space Biomedical Research Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas 77058, USA
Radiat Res 160:418-24. 2003..Results showed that the frequency of unrejoined chromosome breaks was higher after irradiation with the heavy ions of high LET, and consequently the ratio of incomplete to complete exchanges increased steadily with LET up to ..
- The analysis of the densely populated patterns of radiation-induced foci by a stochastic, Monte Carlo model of DNA double-strand breaks induction by heavy ionsArtem L Ponomarev
Universities Space Research Association USRA, Houston, TX, USA
Int J Radiat Biol 86:507-15. 2010..To resolve the difficulty in counting merged DNA damage foci in high-LET (linear energy transfer) ion-induced patterns...
- AT cells show dissimilar hypersensitivity to heavy-ion and X-rays irradiationShoichiro Kitajima
Central Laboratory and Radiation Biology, Aichi Cancer Center Research Institute, Nagoya 464 8681, Japan
J Radiat Res 51:251-5. 2010..The DSBs remaining after heavy-ion irradiation suggested defects in the AT cells' DSB repair ability...
- Dose escalation study of carbon ion radiotherapy for locally advanced head-and-neck cancerJun etsu Mizoe
Hospital, Research Center of Charged Particle, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 60:358-64. 2004..To evaluate the toxicity and efficacy of carbon ion radiotherapy for head-and-neck cancer in a Phase I/II dose escalation clinical trial...
- Incidence of acute myeloid leukemia and hepatocellular carcinoma in mice irradiated with 1 GeV/nucleon (56)Fe ionsMichael M Weil
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences and, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Radiat Res 172:213-9. 2009..These data suggest a difference in the effects of HZE iron ions on the induction of leukemia compared to solid tumors, suggesting potentially different mechanisms of tumorigenesis...
- Non-randomized therapy trial to determine the safety and efficacy of heavy ion radiotherapy in patients with non-resectable osteosarcomaClaudia Blattmann
Department of Pediatric Oncology, Hematology and Immunology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 154, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Cancer 10:96. 2010..They achieve a higher relative biological effectiveness. Phase I/II dose escalation studies of HIT in adults with non-resectable bone and soft tissue sarcomas have already shown favorable results...
- Proliferation and cell death of human glioblastoma cells after carbon-ion beam exposure: morphologic and morphometric analysesTakuma Oishi
Department of Human Pathology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Neuropathology 28:408-16. 2008..Our results indicated that the increase of large cells with enlarged and bizarre nuclei, swollen mitochondria, and secondary lysosome occurred in glioblastoma cells after carbon-beam exposure...
- Heavy ions, radioprotectors and genomic instability: implications for human space explorationJaroslaw Dziegielewski
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Radiat Environ Biophys 49:303-16. 2010..Further, this review discusses some implications of radioprotection for the induction and/or propagation of genomic instability in the progeny of irradiated cells...
- Microirradiation of cells with energetic heavy ionsA Hauptner
Physics Department E12, Technische Universitat Munchen, 85748 Garching, Germany
Radiat Environ Biophys 42:237-45. 2004..In spite of single ion irradiation, we frequently observed split fluorescence foci which might be explained by small-scale chromatin movements...
- The radiobiological effectiveness of carbon-ion beams on growing neuronsWael S Al-Jahdari
Department of Radiation Oncology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Gunma, Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 85:700-9. 2009..However, the biological effect of carbon-ion beams arising on normal neuron remains unknown. Therefore, this study was undertaken to investigate the effect of carbon-ion beams on neurons by using both morphological and functional assays...
- Spectrum of complex DNA damages depends on the incident radiationMegumi Hada
Biology Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York 11973 5000, USA
Radiat Res 165:223-30. 2006..The relative frequencies of DSBs compared to abasic and oxybase clusters were higher for the charged particles-including the high-energy, low-LET protons-than for the ionizing photons...
- Cytotoxic effects of low- and high-LET radiation on human neuronal progenitor cells: induction of apoptosis and TP53 gene expressionPeter Guida
Medical Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York 11973, USA
Radiat Res 164:545-51. 2005..The RBE(max) for apoptosis 48 h after exposure was at least 3.4. In short, exposure to high-LET radiation results in a more efficient and greater induction of apoptosis in human neuronal progenitor cells than low-LET radiation...
- Molecular characterization of microbial mutations induced by ion beam irradiationHiroyuki Ichida
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Chiba University, Matsudo, Chiba 271 8510, Japan
Mutat Res 639:101-7. 2008..We found also that ion beams, particularly "heavier" ion beams, can produce single gene disruptions and may present an effective alternative to transgenic approaches...
- DNA damage recognition proteins localize along heavy ion induced tracks in the cell nucleusAkihisa Takahashi
Department of Biology, School of Medicine, Nara Medical University, Nara, Japan
J Radiat Res 49:645-52. 2008..Antibodies for all these phosphorylated DNA DSB recognition proteins appear to be very effective for the detection and localization of DSB...
- In vitro interaction of high-LET heavy-ion irradiation and chemotherapeutic agents in two cell lines with different radiosensitivities and different p53 statusTakeo Takahashi
Department of Radiation Oncology, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, 3 39 22 Showa machi, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
Anticancer Res 30:1961-7. 2010....
- Chromatid-type aberrations following irradiation in G0 lymphocytes with heavy ionsWang Zhuanzi
Radiobiology Laboratory, Institute of Modern Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Lanzhou 730000, Gansu Province, China
Mutat Res 617:98-103. 2007..6 keV/microm), almost absent at the energy of either 58.6 MeV/n (46.07 keV/ microm) or 19.3 MeV/n (97 keV/microm), nor were they found after low-LET X-rays. Mechanisms potentially responsible for their formation are discussed...
- Clustered DNA damages induced by high and low LET radiation, including heavy ionsB M Sutherland
Biology Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973, USA
Phys Med 17:202-4. 2001..e. two independent hits are not required for cluster induction. Further, among all complex damages, double strand breaks comprise--at most-- ~20%, with the other clustered damages being at least 80%...
- Heavy-ion-induced mutations in the gpt delta transgenic mouse: comparison of mutation spectra induced by heavy-ion, X-ray, and gamma-ray radiationKen ichi Masumura
Division of Genetics and Mutagenesis, National Institute of Health Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Environ Mol Mutagen 40:207-15. 2002..These results suggest that heavy-ion beam irradiation is effective at inducing deletions via DNA double-strand breaks but less effective than X-ray and gamma-ray irradiation at producing oxidative DNA damage by free radicals...
- Estimation of radiation tolerance to high LET heavy ions in an anhydrobiotic insect, Polypedilum vanderplankiMasahiko Watanabe
Anhydrobiosis Research Unit, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Ohwashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 82:835-42. 2006..2 keV/microm). However, its tolerance against high LET radiation remains unknown. The aim of this study is to characterize the tolerance to high-LET radiations of P. vanderplanki...
- A system for three-dimensional dosimetric verification of treatment plans in intensity-modulated radiotherapy with heavy ionsC P Karger
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Abteilung Medizinische Physik, Heidelberg, Germany
Med Phys 26:2125-32. 1999..The system allows efficient verification and documentation of carbon ion fields and is in principle also applicable to intensity-modulated photon beams...
- Temporally distinct response of irradiated normal human fibroblasts and their bystander cells to energetic heavy ionsNobuyuki Hamada
Department of Quantum Biology, Division of Bioregulatory Medicine, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
Mutat Res 639:35-44. 2008..Collectively, our results indicate that heavy ions inactivate clonogenic potential of bystander cells, and that the time course of the response to heavy ions ..
- Outcomes of visual acuity in carbon ion radiotherapy: analysis of dose-volume histograms and prognostic factorsAzusa Hasegawa
Hospital, Charged Particle Research Center, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 64:396-401. 2006..To analyze the tolerance dose for retention of visual acuity in patients with head-and-neck tumors treated with carbon ion radiotherapy...
- Protective effects of melatonin against low- and high-LET irradiationGuangming Zhou
Radiobiology Group, Institute of Modern Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
J Radiat Res 47:175-81. 2006..The results suggest that melatonin reduces the direct interaction of particles with cells rather than an indirect interaction. Further studies are required to disclose the underlying mechanisms...
- Minor contribution of direct ionization to DNA base damage inducedby heavy ionsThierry Douki
Laboratoire Lesions des Acides Nucleiques, Service de Chimie Inorganique et Biologique UMR E 3 CEA UJF, CEA DSM Département de Recherche Fondamentale sur la Matière Condensée, CEA Grenoble, Grenoble, France
Int J Radiat Biol 82:119-27. 2006The deleterious processes triggered by heavy ions on DNA were studied through the determination of the yield of a series of oxidized bases...
- Ground-based research with heavy ions for space radiation protectionM Durante
Department of Physics, University Federico II, Monte S Angelo, Via Cintia, Naples, Italy
Adv Space Res 35:180-4. 2005..High quality accelerator-based research with heavy ions will continue to be the main source of knowledge of space radiation health effects and will lead to reductions ..
- LET and ion-species dependence for mutation induction and mutation spectrum on hprt locus in normal human fibroblastsChizuru Tsuruoka
International Space Radiation Laboratory, National Institute Radiological Sciences
Biol Sci Space 18:188-9. 2004..These results suggested that quantitative and qualitative difference in mutation occurred when using different ion species even if similar LET values...
- High LET-induced H2AX phosphorylation around the Bragg curveN Desai
NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, USA
Adv Space Res 35:236-42. 2005....
- Fragmentation studies of relativistic iron ions using plastic nuclear track detectorsP Scampoli
Department of Physics, University Federico II, and INFN, Sezione di Napoli, Monte S Angelo, Via Cintia, Napoli, Italy
Adv Space Res 35:230-5. 2005..These physical measurements will be used to characterize the beam used in parallel biological experiments...
- Fragmentation of 1 GeV/nucleon iron ions in thick targets relevant for space explorationC La Tessa
Chalmers University of Technology, Nuclear Science and Engineering, Gothenburg, Sweden
Adv Space Res 35:223-9. 2005....
- Mutations induced by heavy charged particlesFumio Yatagai
Advanced Development and Support Center, RIKEN Institute, Wako Shi, Saitama, Japan
Biol Sci Space 18:224-34. 2004..Finally, applications of mutation detection systems for studies in space (section 3) are described, in which the carcinogenic effects of space environmental radiation are considered...
- Microbeams of heavy charged particlesYasuhiko Kobayashi
Research Group for Biotechnology Development, Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute JAERI Takasaki, Takasaki, Gunma, Japan
Biol Sci Space 18:235-40. 2004..These are the first studies in which single-ion direct hit effect and the bystander effect have been investigated using a high-LET heavy particle microbeam...
- Responses of a diamond detector to high-LET charged particlesMakoto Sakama
Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259, Nagatsuta cho, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8502, Japan
Phys Med Biol 50:2275-89. 2005The responses of a commercial diamond detector (type 60003, PTW-Freiburg) to several heavy ions were examined...
- Instrumentation for investigation of the depth-dose distribution by the Liulin-5 instrument of a human phantom on the Russian segment of ISS for estimation of the radiation risk during long term space flightsJ Semkova
Solar Terrestrial Influences Laboratory, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria
Adv Space Res 34:1297-301. 2004..Presented are the test results of the prototype unit. The spherical phantom will be flown on the ISS in 2004 year and Liulin-5 experiment is planned for 2005 year...
- Cellular parameters for track structure modeling of radiation hazard in spaceM P R Waligorski
Center of Oncology, Krakow, Poland
Adv Space Res 34:1378-82. 2004..The "synergistic" effect of simultaneous charged particle transfers is accounted for by the "track overlap" mode inherent in the model of Katz...
- Simulations of an accelerator-based shielding experiment using the particle and heavy-ion transport code system PHITST Sato
JAERI, Tokai mura, Japan
Adv Space Res 35:208-13. 2005..for calculating total reaction cross sections, and addition of routines for calculating elastic scattering of heavy ions, and inclusion of radioactivity and burn up processes...
- DNA DSB induced by iron ions in human fibroblasts: LET dependence and shielding efficiencyG Esposito
Laboratorio di Fisica, Technology and Health Department, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Adv Space Res 35:243-8. 2005..Protection is only observed at high iron ions energy, especially at 5 GeV/u, where PMMA shield gives higher protection compared to Al or Pb shields of the same thickness expressed in g/cm2...
- Mice heterozygous for the ATM gene are more sensitive to both X-ray and heavy ion exposure than are wildtypesB V Worgul
Eye Radiation and Environmental Research Laboratory, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Adv Space Res 35:254-9. 2005..The data show that heterozygosity for the ATM gene predisposes the eye to the cataractogenic influence of heavy ions and suggest that ATM heterozygotes in the human population may also be radiosensitive...
- COST-ENLIGHT strategic workshop on hadron (particle) therapy, CERN, Geneva, 3-4 May 2007R E Taylor
Swansea University, South West Wales Cancer Centre, Singleton Hospital, Swansea, UK
Br J Radiol 81:169-71. 2008..This comprises a series of seven work packages, which will be a focus for European collaboration...
- Monitoring the irradiation field of 12C and 16O SOBP beams using positron emitters produced through projectile fragmentation reactionsTaku Inaniwa
Department of Energy Sciences, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta cho, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8502, Japan
Phys Med Biol 53:529-42. 2008In order to effectively utilize the prominent properties of heavy ions in radiotherapy, it is important to evaluate both the position of the field irradiated with incident ions and the absorbed dose distribution in a patient's body...
- High relative biologic effectiveness of carbon ion radiation on induction of rat mammary carcinoma and its lack of H-ras and Tp53 mutationsTatsuhiko Imaoka
Experimental Radiobiology for Children s Health Research Group, Anagawa, Chiba, Japan
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:194-203. 2007..We undertook the present study to clarify the RBE of therapeutic carbon ion radiation and molecular changes that occur in the rat mammary cancer model...
- Doses and LET spectra in the beam of 12C with energy 500 MeV amu-1Iva Jadrnícková
Department of Radiation Dosimetry, Nuclear Physics Institute AS CR, Na Truhlářce 39 64, 18086 Prague 8, Czech Republic
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 122:488-90. 2006..Data measured by means of a diamond detector and a spectrometer of linear energy transfer (LET) based on chemically etched track detectors are presented, analysed and discussed. LET spectra are also calculated by program SRIM...
- Experimental fragmentation studies with 12C therapy beamsE Haettner
Biophysik, Gesellschaft fur Schwerionenforschung, Planckstr 1, D 64291 Darmstadt, Germany
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 122:485-7. 2006..The preliminary results include energy- and angular distributions, fragment yields, build-up curves and attenuation of the primary carbon projectiles...
- Repair of skin damage during fractionated irradiation with gamma rays and low-LET carbon ionsKoichi Ando
Heavy Ion Radiobiology Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
J Radiat Res 47:167-74. 2006....
- Mammalian cells loaded with platinum-containing molecules are sensitized to fast atomic ionsN Usami
Photon Factory, Institute of Materials Structure Science, High Energy Accelerator Research Organization, Oho, Tsukuba, Japan
Int J Radiat Biol 84:603-11. 2008..The experiment consists in irradiating by fast ions cultured cells previously exposed to dichloroterpyridine Platinum (PtTC) and analyzing cell survival by a colony-forming assay...
- Confocal fluorescent imaging of tracks from heavy charged particles utilising new Al2O3:C,Mg crystalsMark S Akselrod
Landauer, Inc, Stillwater Crystal Growth Division, 723 1 2 Eastgate Road, Stillwater, OK 74074, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 119:357-62. 2006..Fast neutrons were detected using recoil protons produced in a polyethylene radiator installed in front of the crystalline detector. Three-dimensional reconstruction of a recoil proton propagating through the crystal was demonstrated...
- Overview of secondary neutron production relevant to shielding in spaceL Heilbronn
MS 74 197, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 116:140-3. 2005..Stopping target yields and cross section measurements conducted at particle accelerators using heavy ions with energies > 100 MeV per nucleon are discussed.
- HETC radiation transport code development for cosmic ray shielding applications in spaceL W Townsend
Department of Nuclear Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996 2300, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 116:135-9. 2005..missions, the Monte Carlo radiation transport code HETC is being extended to include transport of energetic heavy ions, such as are found in the galactic cosmic ray spectrum in space...
- Shielding and fragmentation studiesC Zeitlin
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, MS74 197, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 116:123-4. 2005..Measurement without a target present gives an indication of the level of contamination of the primary beam, which is also important in radiobiology experiments...
- Investigation of heavy-ion-induced sucrose radicals by electron paramagnetic resonanceKouichi Nakagawa
RI Research Center, Fukushima Medical University, 1 Hikarigaoka, Fukushima, 960 1295, Japan
Radiat Res 164:336-8. 2005..In addition, the EPR response had a linear relationship with dose in the dose range of 5-60 Gy. Thus the present EPR results show that sucrose can be used to monitor the ionizing particle based on the radical yield...
- Tumor induction in mice locally irradiated with carbon ions: a retrospective analysisKoichi Ando
Heavy Ion Radiobiology Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Chiba, Japan
J Radiat Res 46:185-90. 2005..2 for tumor induction and 1.9 for early skin reaction. We conclude that risk of secondary tumor induction by carbon-ion radiotherapy would not be seriously higher than anticipated...
- Analysis of secondary electron emission spectra of equal-LET protons and alpha particles for purposes of radiation quality and spaceflight hazard assessmentP A Craven
Institute of Cancer Research, University of London, London, UK
Adv Space Res 35:300-4. 2005..Such a method for numerically assessing radiation quality may have implications for procedures for heavy ion protection in space at low doses and for understanding the initial mechanisms of radiation action...
- Chromosome aberration yields and apoptosis in human lymphocytes irradiated with Fe-ions of differing LETR Lee
Biophysik, Gesellschaft fur Schwerionenforschung, Darmstadt, Germany
Adv Space Res 35:268-75. 2005..The significance of this observation for the estimation of the health risk associated with space radiation remains to be elucidated...
- Visualizing the dose distribution and linear energy transfer by 1D and 2D ESR imaging: a potassium dithionate dosimeter irradiated with C6+ and N7+ ionsHakan Gustafsson
J Phys Chem B 112:8437-42. 2008..and linear energy transfer (LET) in a potassium dithionate, K2S2O6 (PDT), dosimeter irradiated with the heavy ions C(6+) and N(7+)...
- The physical and radiobiological basis of the local effect model: a response to the commentary by R. KatzM Scholz
GSI Biophysics, Darmstadt, Germany
Radiat Res 161:612-20. 2004..In contrast, e.g. for very heavy ions, there are significant discrepancies observed for the Katz approach...
- ESR investigation of sucrose radicals produced by particle irradiationKouichi Nakagawa
RI Research Center, Fukushima Medical University, 1 Hikarigaoka, Fukushima, 960 1295, Japan
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 60:1315-8. 2004..The impact of heavy ions on sucrose produced sucrose radicals, which were measured by ESR...
- Chromosome aberrations induced in human lymphocytes by heavy charged particles in track segment modeM Di Giorgio
Autoridad Regulatoria Nuclear, Av del Libertador 8250, CP C1429BNP, Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 108:47-53. 2004..The existence or otherwise of a beta component of the dose-response at these radiation qualities has important consequences for modelling mechanisms of aberration induction by radiation...
- Cosmic ray measurements at aircraft altitudes and comparison with predictions of computer codesD Zhou
Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, Astrophysics Section, Dublin, Ireland
Adv Space Res 32:47-52. 2003..The detectors were calibrated using energetic heavy ions. Data obtained were compared with the predictions of the EPCARD and CARI-6 codes...
- Chromatin organization contributes to non-randomly distributed double-strand breaks after exposure to high-LET radiationIrina Radulescu
Division of Biomedical Radiation Sciences, Rudbeck Laboratory, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
Radiat Res 161:1-8. 2004..However, our data suggest a complex interaction between track structure and chromatin organization over several levels...
- The response of a spherical tissue-equivalent proportional counter to different ions having similar linear energy transferStephen B Guetersloh
Department of Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Radiat Res 161:64-71. 2004..However, both values were within 15% of LET in all cases...
- Effects of low dose particle radiation to mouse neonatal neurons in cultureKumie Nojima
International Space Radiation Laboratory, National Institute of Radiological Sciences NIRS, Inage, Chiba, Japan
Biol Sci Space 17:263-4. 2003..dose heavy particle radiation to CNS system, we adopted mouse neonatal brain cells in culture being exposed to heavy ions generated by HIMAC at NIRS and BNL. The applied dose varied from 0.05 Gy up to 2.0 Gy...
- LET and ion-species dependence for cell killing and mutation induction in normal human fibroblastsChizuru Tsuruoka
International Space Radiation Laboratory, National Institute Radiological Science
Biol Sci Space 17:185-6. 2003..These results suggested that different biological endpoints may be suitable for different physical parameter, which represent the track structure of energy deposition of ion beams...
- Conversion coefficients from fluence to effective dose for heavy ions with energies up to 3 GeV/AT Sato
Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute, Shirakata Shirane 2 4, Tokai mura, Naka gun, Ibaraki, 319 1195, Japan
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 106:137-44. 2003Radiological protection against high-energy heavy ions has been an essential issue in the planning of long-term space missions...
- EFFECTS OF RADIATION ON MAMALIAN CELLSJohn Little; Fiscal Year: 1990..the spectrum of molecular structural changes induced by different types of radiation including fast neutrons, heavy ions and Auger emitting radionuclides...
- HEAVY-ION MUTAGENESISAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 1990Selected heavy ions have been shown to be potent inducers of mutations in human TK6 lymphoblasts at two distinct genetic loci: thymidine kinase (tk) and hypoxanthine phosphoribosyltransferase (hgprt)...
- HEAVY PARTICLES IN RADIOTHERAPY: A COMPARATIVE STUDYMUDUNDI RAJU; Fiscal Year: 1980..Therapeutic applications of protons at Harvard, helium and heavy ions at Berkeley, and negative pions at Los Alamos are in progress...
- HEAVY ION RADIOBIOLOGY RELATED TO ONCOLOGYCORNELIUS TOBIAS; Fiscal Year: 1980..The rationale for using heavy ions in therapy is based on (a) the physical characteristics of charged particle beams which can be used to deliver a ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL GENETICS WITH AN INDUCIBLE GENE SYSTEMMichael Freeling; Fiscal Year: 1980..1) Mutants involved in regulatory components of the genes will be induced--especially using accelerated heavy ions, e.g...
- THE RESPONSE OF A RAT RHABDOMYOSARCOMA TO HEAVY IONSSTANLEY CURTIS; Fiscal Year: 1980....
- AGING, RADIATION & DNA DAMAGE IN NONDIVIDING TISSUEJOHN LETT; Fiscal Year: 1980..Such studies are mutually complementary with experiments of the effects of heavy ions that are being conducted for NASA. 4...
- FRAGMENTATION OF HEAVY IONS FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHPIYARE JAIN; Fiscal Year: 1980..project will measure the physical parameters of importance for the therapeutical application of BEVALAC-produced heavy ions, such as (C,Ne,Ar)...
- AAPM CHARGED PARTICLE BEAM DOSIMETRY TASK GROUPAlfred Smith; Fiscal Year: 1980..basic physics, dosimetry, and clinical problems in the treatment of cancer with charged particle beams (pions, heavy ions, and protons); to design and build a calorimeter for the absolute calibration of charged particle beams; and to ..
- GEV HEAVY-ION AND 200 KV X-RAY EXCITATION OF DNAMalcolm Daniels; Fiscal Year: 1980..Excitation sources will be 200kV X-ray, GeV heavy ions, 60Co gamma-rays, and synchrotron radiation...
- Electron Transport in Tissue-Like MaterialLARRY TOBUREN; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results will enhance our effort to establish clinically relevant radiation treatment with a better understanding of potential damage to healthy tissue. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Electron Transport in Tissue-Like MaterialLARRY TOBUREN; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results will enhance our effort to establish clinically relevant radiation treatment with a better understanding of potential damage to healthy tissue. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Electron Transport in Tissue-Like MaterialLARRY TOBUREN; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Electron Transport in Tissue-Like MaterialLARRY TOBUREN; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Electron Transport in Tissue-Like MaterialLARRY TOBUREN; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Electron Transport in Tissue-Like MaterialLARRY TOBUREN; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results will enhance our effort to establish clinically relevant radiation treatment with a better understanding of potential damage to healthy tissue. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- HIGH LET RADIATION & GENOMIC INSTABILITY IN HUMAN CELLSAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 1999..The results obtained with low fluence iron-ion exposures will serve as a model for terrestrial exposures to radon and neutrons. ..
- HIGH LET RADIATION & GENOMIC INSTABILITY IN HUMAN CELLSAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results obtained with low fluence iron-ion exposures will serve as a model for terrestrial exposures to radon and neutrons. ..
- HIGH LET RADIATION & GENOMIC INSTABILITY IN HUMAN CELLSAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2000..The results obtained with low fluence iron-ion exposures will serve as a model for terrestrial exposures to radon and neutrons. ..
- Prediction of Second Cancer Risks for Children Treated with Proton - vs. - PhotonWayne D Newhauser; Fiscal Year: 2010..In the future, we expect that the lower-risk treatments will result in fewer second cancers and this will translate into longer, higher-quality lives for survivors of childhood cancer (presently 270,000 persons in the United States). ..
- Radiation-Induced Mutagenesis and Apoptotic RegulationAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is the secondary mutations that lead to advance, aggressive disease in people. ..
- RADIATION BIOLOGY TRAINING GRANTAnn Kennedy; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is expected that graduates of the training program will continue with their research and academic careers in radiation biology and oncology. ..
- Chemotherapy with injectable microdropletsFRANCESCO D ERRICO; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Magnetic Flow Sorter for Pancreatic Islet IsolationPaul Todd; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- RADIATION BIOLOGY TRAINING GRANTAnn Kennedy; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is expected that graduates of the training program will continue with their research and academic careers in radiation biology and oncology. ..
- Role of TGFBI gene in cell proliferation and tumor progressionYongliang Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Role of TGFBI gene in cell proliferation and tumor progressionYongliang Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Prediction of Second Cancer Risks for Children Treated with Proton - vs. - PhotonWayne Newhauser; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the future, we expect that the lower-risk treatments will result in fewer second cancers and this will translate into longer, higher-quality lives for survivors of childhood cancer (presently 270,000 persons in the United States). ..
- Role of TGFBI gene in cell proliferation and tumor progressionYongliang Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Radiation-Induced Mutagenesis and Apoptotic RegulationAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is the secondary mutations that lead to advance, aggressive disease in people. ..
- Radiation-Induced Mutagenesis and Apoptotic RegulationAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is the secondary mutations that lead to advance, aggressive disease in people. ..
- Eighth International Workshop on Radiation Damage to DNAKATHRYN HELD; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HIGH ENERGY IONS AND GENOMIC INSTABILITYEric Hall; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- HIGH ENERGY IONS AND GENOMIC INSTABILITYEric Hall; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- MECHANISMS FOR OXIDATIVE STRESS INDUCED APOPTOSISKATHRYN HELD; Fiscal Year: 1999..g., to enhance cell killing in tumor cells or prevent cell killing in AIDS, autoimmune diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, etc., where oxidative stress may play a role. ..
- HIGH ENERGY IONS AND GENOMIC INSTABILITYEric Hall; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- Radiation-Induced Mutagenesis and Apoptotic RegulationAmy Kronenberg; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is the secondary mutations that lead to advance, aggressive disease in people. ..
- ENHANCED APOPTOSIS BY TARGETING PROTEIN REDOX STATUSMohan Natarajan; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- ENHANCED APOPTOSIS BY TARGETING PROTEIN REDOX STATUSMohan Natarajan; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ENHANCED APOPTOSIS BY TARGETING PROTEIN REDOX STATUSMohan Natarajan; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Magnetic Sorter Channels for Stem CellsPaul Todd; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ENHANCED APOPTOSIS BY TARGETING PROTEIN REDOX STATUSMohan Natarajan; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Magnetic Flow Sorter for Pancreatic Islet IsolationPaul Todd; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..