- Study of rheological properties of polypropylene/organoclay hybrid materials
Singapore Institute of Manufacturing Technology, 71 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 638075
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6:3989-92. 2006
..A shear thinning behavior is found for both polypropylene and its composites, but the onset of shear thinning for organoclay composites occurs at lower shear rates...
- In vivo brain viscoelastic properties measured by magnetic resonance elastography
Michael A Green
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, UNSW, Sydney, Australia
NMR Biomed 21:755-64. 2008
..1 kPa) to be significantly stiffer than white matter (2.7 kPa). The first in vivo loss modulus (G'') measurements show no significant difference between grey matter (2.5 kPa) and white matter (2.5 kPa)...
- Experimental validation of a time-domain-based wave propagation model of blood flow in viscoelastic vessels
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, P O Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands
J Biomech 41:284-91. 2008
- High-viscosity liquid meal accelerates gastric emptying
Department of Endoscopy and Endoscopic Surgery, Gunma University Hospital, Gunma, Japan
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:879-86. 2007
Adding pectin to an elemental formula increases its viscosity through gelatinization, thus presumably preventing gastro-oesophageal reflux and aspiration pneumonia...
- The impact of aging and gender on brain viscoelasticity
Department of Radiology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Neuroimage 46:652-7. 2009
..5 Hz revealed for the first time how physiological aging changes the global viscosity and elasticity of the brain...
- Mechanical models for living cells--a review
C T Lim
Nano Biomechanics Laboratory, Division of Bioengineering and Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576, Singapore
J Biomech 39:195-216. 2006
..More realistic mechanical models of living cells can further contribute towards the study of mechanotransduction in cells...
- A distinct DGAT with sn-3 acetyltransferase activity that synthesizes unusual, reduced-viscosity oils in Euonymus and transgenic seeds
Timothy P Durrett
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:9464-9. 2010
..the sn-3 acetyl group imparts acTAGs with different physical and chemical properties, such as a 30% reduction in viscosity, compared to lcTAGs...
- Viscosity of oat bran-enriched beverages influences gastrointestinal hormonal responses in healthy humans
Kristiina R Juvonen
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Food and Health Research Centre, School of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Nutr 139:461-6. 2009
..However, effects of fiber viscosity on modulation of satiety-related gut hormone responses are largely unknown...
- Beta-glucan from two sources of oat concentrates affect postprandial glycemia in relation to the level of viscosity
University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Toronto, ON, M5S 3E2, Canada
J Am Coll Nutr 26:639-44. 2007
..This effect seems to be related to its rheological properties including viscosity. We examined the intra-fiber variability between two different processing methods of concentrating beta-glucan ..
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of Pluronic F127-based ocular delivery system for timolol maleate
A H El-Kamel
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Women Students Medical Studies and Science Sections, PO Box 22452, 11495, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Int J Pharm 241:47-55. 2002
..an attempt to reduce the concentration of PF127 without compromising the in situ gelling capabilities, various viscosity enhancing agents were added to PF127 solution containing 0.5% TM...
- Microemulsion-based media as novel drug delivery systems
M J Lawrence
Department of Pharmacy, King s College London, Franklin Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, SE1 9NN, London, UK
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 45:89-121. 2000
..The use of microemulsions and closely related microemulsion-based systems as drug delivery vehicles is reviewed, with particular emphasis being placed on recent developments and future directions...
- Association between rmpA and magA genes and clinical syndromes caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae in Taiwan
Wen Liang Yu
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Yungkang City, Tainan, Taiwan
Clin Infect Dis 42:1351-8. 2006
..However, the association of rmpA with K. pneumoniae clinical syndromes is unreported. We aimed to investigate the clinical correlation between rmpA and primary Klebsiella abscess, focusing on sites other than the liver...
- Quantitative analysis of the viscoelastic properties of thin regions of fibroblasts using atomic force microscopy
R E Mahaffy
Department of Physics, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, USA
Biophys J 86:1777-93. 2004
..Applying this decomposition and Tu's and Chen's finite depth models allow us to obtain viscoelastic signatures in a frequency range from 50 to 300 Hz, showing a rubber plateau-like behavior...
- The optical stretcher: a novel laser tool to micromanipulate cells
Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, Department of Physics, University of Texas at Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Biophys J 81:767-84. 2001
..The magnitude of the deforming forces in the optical stretcher thus bridges the gap between optical tweezers and atomic force microscopy for the study of biologic materials...
- Effect of meal viscosity and nutrients on satiety, intragastric dilution, and emptying assessed by MRI
Magnetic Resonance Centre, School of Physics and Astronomy, Nottingham NG7 2RD, United Kingdom
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 280:G1227-33. 2001
..magnetic resonance imaging techniques in 12 healthy subjects with four polysaccharide test meals of varying viscosity and nutrient content as follows: 1) low-viscosity nonnutrient, 2) low-viscosity nutrient, 3) high-viscosity ..
- Macromolecular size-and-shape distributions by sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation
Patrick H Brown
Protein Biophysics Resource, Division of Bioengineering and Physical Science, ORS, Office of the Director, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biophys J 90:4651-61. 2006
..We show that this can be used to determine average molar masses of macromolecules and characterize macromolecular distributions, without the approximation of any scaling relationship between hydrodynamic and thermodynamic parameters...
- An anisotropic-viscoplastic model of plant cell morphogenesis by tip growth
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Int J Dev Biol 50:209-22. 2006
..Finally, we show that the mechanical anisotropy built into the model is required to account for observed patterns of wall expansion in plant cells...
- Interaction between PEVK-titin and actin filaments: origin of a viscous force component in cardiac myofibrils
Institute of Physiology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Circ Res 89:874-81. 2001
..We conclude that interaction between PEVK-titin and actin occurs in the sarcomere and may cause viscous drag during diastolic stretch of cardiac myofibrils. The interaction could also oppose shortening during contraction...
- Characterization of cell mechanical properties by computational modeling of parallel plate compression
J P McGarry
Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Ann Biomed Eng 37:2317-25. 2009
..Finally, a non-linear force-deformation response is simulated using differing linear viscoelastic properties for the cell nucleus and the cell cytoplasm...
- Ester hydroxy derivatives of methyl oleate: tribological, oxidation and low temperature properties
Brajendra K Sharma
USDA NCAUR ARS, Food and Industrial Oil Research, 1815 North University Street, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
Bioresour Technol 99:7333-40. 2008
..Overall, the data indicate that some of these derivatives have significant potential as a lubricating oil or fuel additives...
- Clinical and SEM assessment of ART high-viscosity glass-ionomer sealants after 8-13 years in 4 teeth
J E Frencken
Department of Global Oral Health, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, College of Dental Sciences, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Dent 38:59-64. 2010
Resin composite sealants are retained longer than low-viscosity glass-ionomer sealants...
- Non-invasive measurement of brain viscoelasticity using magnetic resonance elastography
Institute of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
NMR Biomed 21:265-71. 2008
..time-resolved phase-difference wave images were recorded within 60 s and analyzed for shear stiffness and shear viscosity. Six healthy volunteers (six men; mean age 34...
- Analysis of viscoelastic wall properties in ovine arteries
Department of Mathematics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:210-9. 2009
..We also show that for all locations, the inclusion of viscoelastic behavior is important to capture pressure-area dynamics...
- Assessment of in vivo and post-mortem mechanical behavior of brain tissue using magnetic resonance elastography
Institut de mécanique des fluides et des solides UMR 7507 CNRS ULP, Strasbourg, France
J Biomech 41:2954-9. 2008
..02). These results illustrate the ability of MRE to investigate some of the critical soft tissue biomechanics-related issues, as it can be used as a non-invasive tool for measuring soft tissue viscoelastic properties...
- Viscoelasticity-based MR elastography of skeletal muscle
Department of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Phys Med Biol 55:6445-59. 2010
..253 ± 0.009) to contraction (α = 0.270 ± 0.009). These results provide a reference for a future assessment of muscular dysfunction using rheological parameters...
- Fluctuations of the red blood cell membrane: relation to mechanical properties and lack of ATP dependence
King s College London, Randall Division of Cell and Molecular Biophysics, Guy s Campus, London, United Kingdom
Biophys J 94:4134-44. 2008
..This was caused by a rise in internal viscosity, as shown by measurements on resealed ghosts containing a reduced hemoglobin concentration, which displayed no ..
- Preliminary characterization of exopolysaccharides produced by a marine biofilm-forming bacterium Pseudoalteromonas ruthenica (SBT 033)
Department of Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Pondicherry University, Puducherry 605 014, India
Lett Appl Microbiol 46:1-6. 2008
..The major objective of the present study was the partial characterization of the exopolysaccharides (EPS) produced by a marine biofilm-forming bacterium Pseudoalteromonas ruthenica under shake culture conditions...
- Laser assisted bioprinting of engineered tissue with high cell density and microscale organization
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux Cedex, France
Biomaterials 31:7250-6. 2010
..We have studied the effect of the viscosity of the bioink, laser energy, and laser printing speed on the resolution of cell printing...
- Validation of a one-dimensional model of the systemic arterial tree
Laboratory of Hemodynamics and Cardiovascular Technology, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H208-22. 2009
..The study constitutes a first validation of the complete 1-D model using human pressure and flow data and supports the applicability of the 1-D model in the human circulation...
- A novel virulence gene in Klebsiella pneumoniae strains causing primary liver abscess and septic metastatic complications
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei 100
J Exp Med 199:697-705. 2004
..We conclude that magA fits molecular Koch's postulates as a virulence gene. Thus, this locus can be used as a marker for the rapid diagnosis and for tracing the source of this emerging infectious disease...
- Critical evaluation of Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis (NTA) by NanoSight for the measurement of nanoparticles and protein aggregates
Division of Drug Delivery Technology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, P O Box 9502, 2300, RA, Leiden, The Netherlands
Pharm Res 27:796-810. 2010
..To evaluate the nanoparticle tracking analysis (NTA) technique, compare it with dynamic light scattering (DLS) and test its performance in characterizing drug delivery nanoparticles and protein aggregates...
- A mathematical explanation of an increase in bacterial swimming speed with viscosity in linear-polymer solutions
National Food Research Institute, Tsukuba 305 8642, Japan
Biophys J 83:733-9. 2002
Bacterial swimming speed is sometimes known to increase with viscosity. This phenomenon is peculiar to bacterial motion. Berg and Turner (Nature...
- Heat treatment of bovine colostrum. I: effects of temperature on viscosity and immunoglobulin G level
Department of Veterinary Population Medicine, University of Minnesota, St. Paul 55108, USA
J Dairy Sci 89:2110-8. 2006
..temperature, at or below which heat-treatment of bovine colostrum would produce no significant changes in viscosity, IgG concentration, or Ig activity...
- The influence of cement viscosity on the early migration of a tapered polished femoral stem
Oxford Orthopaedic Engineering Centre, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK
Int Orthop 27:362-5. 2003
It is unclear whether it is best to use high-viscosity or low-viscosity cement for fixation of total hip replacement (THR) femoral components...
- Viscosity and solute dependence of F-actin translocation by rabbit skeletal heavy meromyosin
P B Chase
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 278:C1088-98. 2000
We tested the hypothesis that solvent viscosity affects translocation of rhodamine phalloidin-labeled F-actin by rabbit skeletal heavy meromyosin (HMM). When viscosity was increased using either glycerol, fructose, sucrose, or dextran (1...
- Contrast viscosity changes upon photoirradiation for mixtures of poly(acrylic acid)-based alpha-cyclodextrin and azobenzene polymers
Department of Macromolecular Science, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-0043, Japan
J Am Chem Soc 128:2226-7. 2006
..through the 3- and 6-positions in CD (p3alphaCD and p6alphaCD, respectively), using several techniques, such as viscosity and NMR measurements...
- Viscoelastic properties of single polysaccharide molecules determined by analysis of thermally driven oscillations of an atomic force microscope cantilever
Institute of Molecular Biophysics, Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology, School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
Langmuir 20:9299-303. 2004
..The molecular damping is also seen to follow a nontrivial dependence on loading which we suggest indicates that it is internal friction and not work done on the solvent that is the dominant dissipative process...
- Primate insular/opercular taste cortex: neuronal representations of the viscosity, fat texture, grittiness, temperature, and taste of foods
Justus V Verhagen
Dept. of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, S. Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3UD, UK
J Neurophysiol 92:1685-99. 2004
..5%) responded to oral stimuli. Of the orally responsive neurons, some (53%) represented the viscosity, tested using carboxymethyl-cellulose in the range 1-10,000 cP...
- Reduction in exopolysaccharide viscosity as an aid to bacteriophage penetration through Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms
G W Hanlon
School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, University of Brighton, Moulsecoomb, Brighton BN2 4GJ, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:2746-53. 2001
..of alginate to act as a more effective diffusional barrier suggests that phage may cause a reduction in the viscosity of the exopolysaccharide...
- Release characteristics of diclofenac sodium from poly(vinyl alcohol)/sodium alginate and poly(vinyl alcohol)-grafted-poly(acrylamide)/sodium alginate blend beads
Gazi Universitesi, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi, Kimya Bolumu, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 65:204-14. 2007
..It was also observed from release results that DS release from the beads through the external medium is much higher at high pH (6.8 and 7.4) than that at low pH (1.2). The drug release from the beads mostly followed Case II transport...
- Noninvasive assessment of the rheological behavior of human organs using multifrequency MR elastography: a study of brain and liver viscoelasticity
Department of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Phys Med Biol 52:7281-94. 2007
..84 +/- 0.22 (1.36 +/- 0.31) kPa, mu(2) = 2.03 +/- 0.19 (1.86 +/- 0.34) kPa and one shear viscosity of eta = 6.7 +/- 1.3 (5.5 +/- 1.6) Pa s (interindividual mean +/- SD) in brain (liver) experiments...
- Control of the postsynaptic membrane viscosity
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Biologie Cellulaire de la Synapse, 75005 Paris, France
J Neurosci 29:2926-37. 2009
The physical properties of the postsynaptic membrane (PSM), including its viscosity, determine its capacity to regulate the net flux of synaptic membrane proteins such as neurotransmitter receptors...
- Mechanical properties of axons
Departamento de Fisica, Universidad de Santiago de Chile, and CIMAT, Correo 2, Santiago, Chile
Phys Rev Lett 99:018301. 2007
..Under certain conditions, axons show a transition from a viscoelastic elongation to active contraction, suggesting the presence of a negative elongation rate sensitivity in the curve T vs delta(k)...
- Representations of the texture of food in the primate orbitofrontal cortex: neurons responding to viscosity, grittiness, and capsaicin
Edmund T Rolls
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3UD, United Kingdom
J Neurophysiol 90:3711-24. 2003
..Use of oral viscosity stimuli consisting of carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) in the range 1-10,000 centipoise showed that the responses of ..
- Electrospun chitosan-gelatin nanofiberous scaffold: fabrication and in vitro evaluation
Faculty of Biomedical Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Biomed Mater Eng 21:99-112. 2011
..Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) showed that the low-viscosity sample with 30% chitosan and 70% gelatin (sample 30/70) formed the least amount of beads and droplets and ..
- Distribution and clearance of bioadhesive formulations from the olfactory region in man: effect of polymer type and nasal delivery device
School of Pharmacy, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Eur J Pharm Sci 30:295-302. 2007
..It was further shown that the reproducibility of olfactory delivery of a polymer formulation was significantly better intra-subject than inter-subject...
- Effect of heat treatment of bovine colostrum on bacterial counts, viscosity, and Immunoglobulin G concentration
J A Elizondo-Salazar
Department of Dairy and Animal Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:961-7. 2010
..to identify the optimal temperature and time at which heat treatment of bovine colostrum would least change viscosity and IgG concentrations yet reduce bacterial count...
- Noninvasive determination of cell nucleoplasmic viscosity by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy
South China Normal University, Ministry of Education, Key Laboratory of Laser Life Science and Institute of Laser Life Science, Guangzhou 510631, China
J Biomed Opt 14:024013. 2009
..study examines the use of fluorescence correlation spectroscopy (FCS) to noninvasively determine nucleoplasmic viscosity (eta(nu)), an important parameter of nucleoplasmic rheology...
- Effect of viscosity on mechanics of single, skinned fibers from rabbit psoas muscle
P B Chase
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7115, USA
Biophys J 74:1428-38. 1998
Muscle contraction is highly dynamic and thus may be influenced by viscosity of the medium surrounding the myofilaments. Single, skinned fibers from rabbit psoas muscle were used to test this hypothesis...
- Three-dimensional analysis of shear wave propagation observed by in vivo magnetic resonance elastography of the brain
Institute of Medical Informatics, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D 12203 Berlin, Germany
Acta Biomater 3:127-37. 2007
..5kPa. Using the proposed slice positions in 2-D MRE, this shear modulus can be reproduced with an acceptable error within a fraction of the full 3-D examination time...
- Sizing of single globular DNA molecules by using a circular acceleration technique with laser trapping
Health Technology Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, 2217 14, Hayashi cho, Takamatsu, Kagawa, 761 0395, Japan
Anal Chem 80:5197-202. 2008
..We also investigated a possibility of reusing the globular DNA molecules condensed by PEG and Mg(2+) for PCR and found that PCR efficiency was not deteriorated in the presence of the condensation agents...
- Measurement of the dynamic shear modulus of mouse brain tissue in vivo by magnetic resonance elastography
Stefan M Atay
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Washington University, 1 Brookings Drive, Box 1185, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
J Biomech Eng 130:021013. 2008
..These data complement measurements of nonlinear viscoelastic properties obtained by others at slower rates, either ex vivo or invasively...
- Endothelial, cardiac muscle and skeletal muscle exhibit different viscous and elastic properties as determined by atomic force microscopy
A B Mathur
Center for Cellular and Biosurface Engineering, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Box 90281, 136 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708-0281, USA
J Biomech 34:1545-53. 2001
..4 kPa) depending on the location of the cell surface tested. Cardiac and skeletal muscle exhibited nonlinear elastic behavior. These passive mechanical properties are generally consistent with the function of these different cell types...
- Synthesis, cocrystallization, and enzymatic degradation of novel poly(butylene-co-propylene succinate) copolymers
George Z Papageorgiou
Laboratory of Organic Chemical Technology, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GR 541 24, Thessaloniki, Macedonia, Greece
Biomacromolecules 8:2437-49. 2007
..Enzymatic hydrolysis study, using Rhizopus delemar and Pseudomonas cepacia lipases, showed that degradation was faster for copolymers with high PSu content, compared even to the fast-degrading PPSu...
- Titin based viscosity in ventricular physiology: an integrative investigation of PEVK-actin interactions
Charles S Chung
Molecular Cardiovascular Research Program, Sarver Heart Center, Department of Physiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 51:428-34. 2011
b>Viscosity is proposed to modulate diastolic function, but only limited understanding of the source(s) of viscosity exists...
- A viscoelastic biomechanical model of the cornea describing the effect of viscosity and elasticity on hysteresis
Dianne H Glass
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:3919-26. 2008
To develop a method for evaluating viscosity and elasticity of the cornea and to examine the effect that both properties have on hysteresis.
- The role of fluctuations and stress on the effective viscosity of cell aggregates
Laboratoire de Spectrometrie Physique, Unite Mixte de Recherche 5588, Université Grenoble I and Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 140 Avenue de la Physique, F 38402 Martin d Hères Cedex, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:17271-5. 2009
..At stress lower than a characteristic stress tau*, the aggregate as a whole flows with an apparent viscosity eta*, and at higher stress it is a shear-thinning fluid...
- Fatty acids, membrane viscosity, serotonin and ischemic heart disease
Institute Paolo Sotgiu Quantitative and Evolutionary Psychiatry and Cardiology, L U de S University, Via dei Faggi 4 Quartiere La Sguancia Lugano Pazzallo 6900, Switzerland
Lipids Health Dis 9:97. 2010
..This work focuses on a specific platelet membrane fatty acid condition of viscosity which is linked to molecular aspects such as serotonin and G proteins, factors involved in vascular biology...
- Active interfacial shear microrheology of aging protein films
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, California 93117, USA
Phys Rev Lett 104:016001. 2010
The magnetically driven rotation of 300 nm diameter rods shows the surface viscosity of albumin at an air-water interface increases from 10(-9) to 10(-5) N s/m over 2 h while the surface pressure saturates in minutes...
- Effect of polymer viscosity on physicochemical properties and ocular tolerance of FB-loaded PLGA nanospheres
Department of Physical Chemistry, Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 72:48-56. 2009
..In this work, a PLGA of low viscosity has been tested and the results obtained were compared with those previously reported by Vega et al...
- Quasi-linear viscoelastic behavior of the human periodontal ligament
Stephanie R Toms
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Hoehn Room 370 1075, 13th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35294-4440, USA
J Biomech 35:1411-5. 2002
..The success of the QLV approach supports its usefulness in future efforts of experimental characterization of PDL mechanical behavior...
- Stepping, strain gating, and an unexpected force-velocity curve for multiple-motor-based transport
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Curr Biol 18:1173-83. 2008
..Although we understand single motors experimentally and theoretically, our understanding of multiple motors working together is less developed...
- Transition to superdiffusive behavior in intracellular actin-based transport mediated by molecular motors
Departamento de Fisica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, 1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys 80:011912. 2009
..Then, our model gives a quantitative description of active transport in living cells with a reduced number of parameters...
- Viscosity of contrast media perturbs renal hemodynamics
Institut für Vegetative Physiologie, Berlin, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:2912-20. 2007
..concentrations but differing physiocochemical properties: the high-osmolality iopromide was compared to the high-viscosity iodixanol...
- Two-particle microrheology of quasi-2D viscous systems
Department of Physics, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Phys Rev Lett 97:176001. 2006
..The scale factors used for the master curve allow for the calculation of the surface viscosity eta s that can be compared to one-particle measurements.
- Extending hepatocyte functionality for drug-testing applications using high-viscosity alginate-encapsulated three-dimensional cultures in bioreactors
Joana P Miranda
Animal Cell Technology Laboratory, ITQB UNL IBET, Oeiras, Portugal
Tissue Eng Part C Methods 16:1223-32. 2010
..In this work, ultra-high-viscosity alginate was used for hepatocyte aggregates entrapment...
- Evaluation of role of concentration and molecular weight of oat beta-glucan in determining effect of viscosity on plasma glucose and insulin following an oral glucose load
P J Wood
Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Southern Crop Protection and Food Research Centre, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Br J Nutr 84:19-23. 2000
..blood glucose and insulin responses to an oral glucose load, consumed in a drink, and the logarithm of viscosity of the drink...
- Reversible stress softening of actin networks
UC San Francisco UC Berkeley Joint Graduate Group in Bioengineering and Department of Bioengineering, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nature 445:295-8. 2007
..The observation of both stress stiffening and softening suggests a complex interplay between entropic and enthalpic elasticity in determining the mechanical properties of actin networks...
- Effects of age, gender, bolus condition, viscosity, and volume on pharyngeal and upper esophageal sphincter pressure and temporal measurements during swallowing
Susan G Butler
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology Center for Voice and Swallowing Disorders, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Speech Lang Hear Res 52:240-53. 2009
The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of trial (i.e., Trial 1 vs. Trial 2); viscosity (i.e., saliva, thin, nectar-thick, honey-thick, and pudding-thick water); volume (i.e., 5 mL vs. 10 mL); age (i.e., young vs...
- Effect of pre-heating on the viscosity and microhardness of a resin composite
Restorative Dentistry, University Dental School and Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland
J Oral Rehabil 37:278-82. 2010
The effect of pre-heating resin composite on pre-cured viscosity and post-cured surface hardness was evaluated...
- Controlled release of metronidazole benzoate from poly epsilon-caprolactone electrospun nanofibers for periodontal diseases
Department of Textile Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 75:179-85. 2010
..an increase in the DCM:DMF ratio led to a decrease in the solution conductivity and an increase in the solution viscosity as well as in the nanofibers diameter...
- Measurements of mechanical properties of the blastula wall reveal which hypothesized mechanisms of primary invagination are physically plausible in the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus purpuratus
L A Davidson
Graduate Group in Biophysics, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California, 94720, USA
Dev Biol 209:221-38. 1999
..This finding bears on the mechanical plausibility of several models for primary invagination...
- Structural changes in xanthan gum solutions during steam sterilization for sterile preparations
Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Pharm Dev Technol 12:159-67. 2007
..Mark-Houwink exponent of 0.9002 for the intrinsic viscosity of xanthan gum compared favorably with reported values in the literature...
- Computing the viscosity of supercooled liquids
Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Chem Phys 130:224504. 2009
We describe an atomistic method for computing the viscosity of highly viscous liquids based on activated state kinetics...
- The effect of fluorescent tracers on droplet spectrum, viscosity, and density of pesticide formulations
Jerome J Schleier
Department of Land Resources and Environmental Sciences, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717 3120, USA
J Environ Sci Health B 45:621-5. 2010
..experiments have been performed on the effect they have on the properties of pesticide formulations (density and viscosity) or droplet spectrum, which affect the drift of pesticides...
- Transport properties of glass-forming liquids suggest that dynamic crossover temperature is as important as the glass transition temperature
Dipartimento di Fisica and Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Scienze Fisiche della Materia, Universita di Messina, I 98166 Messina, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:22457-62. 2010
..common practice to partition glass-forming liquids into two classes based on the dependence of the shear viscosity η on temperature T...
- Physicochemical features of ultra-high viscosity alginates
Institute for Technical and Macromolecular Chemistry, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Carbohydr Res 344:985-95. 2009
The physicochemical characteristics of the ultra-high viscosity and highly biocompatible alginates extracted from Lessonia nigrescens (UHV(N)) and Lessonia trabeculata (UHV(T)) were analyzed...
- Characterization of globular protein solutions by dynamic light scattering, electrophoretic mobility, and viscosity measurements
Institute of Catalysis and Surface Chemistry, Polish Academy of Science, ul Niezapominajek 8, 30 239 Cracow, Poland
Langmuir 24:6866-72. 2008
..these proteins involved the diffusion coefficient (hydrodynamic radius), electrophoretic mobility, and dynamic viscosity as a function of protein solution concentration for various pH values...
- Gamma-irradiation of lyophilised wound healing wafers
K H Matthews
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Strathclyde Institute for Biomedical Sciences, 27 Taylor Street, Glasgow G4 ONR, UK
Int J Pharm 313:78-86. 2006
..Flow behaviour on proprietary suppurating surfaces was also determined. Large reductions in viscosity were apparent for irradiated SA samples while those of XG appeared to be largely unaffected...
- The effects of viscosity on the axial motor pattern and kinematics of the African lungfish (Protopterus annectens) during lateral undulatory swimming
Angela M Horner
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Cincinnati, PO Box 210006, Cincinnati, OH 45221 0006, USA
J Exp Biol 211:1612-22. 2008
..Regardless of viscosity, several aspects of lungfish swimming were similar to those of other swimming vertebrates including: posteriorly ..
- A morphological and tensile bond strength evaluation of an unfilled adhesive with low-viscosity composites and a filled adhesive in one and two coats
M A Montes
Department of Restorative Dentistry Dental Materials, School of Dentistry of Piracicaba, UNICAMP Av Limeira, 901, SP, 13414 900, Piracicaba, Brazil
J Dent 29:435-41. 2001
..of this study was to measure the tensile bond strength (TBS) testing of resin composite to dentin of three low-viscosity composites, in association with an unfilled adhesive, and a filled adhesive one and two coats respectively, and ..
- Chitosan films and hydrogels of chlorhexidine gluconate for oral mucosal delivery
Hacettepe University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, 06100, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Pharm 193:197-203. 2000
..A prolonged release was observed with film formulations. No lag-time was observed in release of Chx from either gels or films. The highest antifungal activity was obtained with 2% chitosan gel containing 0.1% Chx...
- Intrinsic viscosity of bead models for macromolecules and nanoparticles
Jose Garcia de la Torre
Departamento de Quimica Fisica, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad de Murcia, 30071 Murcia, Spain
Eur Biophys J 39:381-8. 2010
The calculation of the intrinsic viscosity by means of classical treatments of bead models, typically composed of a number of identical beads, presents some problems when applied to models where the beads are unequal and their number is ..
- Role of loading on head stability and effective neck stiffness and viscosity
Division de kinesiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
J Biomech 41:2097-103. 2008
..muscle activation is required to counteract a load would significantly increase effective neck stiffness and viscosity, which would be associated with lower peak head angular velocity following abrupt force perturbations applied to ..
- Gelation studies of a cellulose-based biohydrogel: the influence of pH, temperature and sterilization
INSERM, Universite de Nantes, UMRS 791, Laboratory for osteo articular and dental tissue engineering LIOAD, Faculty of Dental Surgery, 1 Place Alexis Ricordeau, 44042 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Acta Biomater 5:3423-32. 2009
..In dilute solution, the intrinsic viscosity ([eta]) of different pre-steam sterilization Si-HPMC solutions indicates that macromolecular chains occupy a ..
- The rheological properties of silated hydroxypropylmethylcellulose tissue engineering matrices
INSERM U791, Laboratoire d Ingénierie Ostéo Articulaire et Dentaire, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, 1 Place Alexis Ricordeau, BP 84215, Nantes, France
Biomaterials 29:533-43. 2008
..68) which extends over the entire frequency range. This method is the only one to characterize the time where a liquid viscous phase shifts to hydrogel with elastic properties. In this case it was about 23 min for a final pH of 7.4...
- Influence of resin cement viscosity on microleakage of ceramic inlays
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Dental Clinic, University of Freiburg, Hugstetterstrasse 55, 79106, Freiburg, Germany
Dent Mater 17:191-6. 2001
..The effect of the width of the space between inlay and tooth, on the quality of the marginal seal was also investigated...
- On the origins of morphological complexity in block copolymer surfactants
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Science 300:460-4. 2003
..These block copolymers represent versatile amphiphiles, mimicking certain low molecular weight three-component (surfactant/water/oil) microemulsions, without addition of a separate hydrophobe...
- Effects of ethidium bromide on DNA loop organisation in human lymphocytes measured by anomalous viscosity time dependence and single cell gel electrophoresis
I Y Belyaev
Department of Molecular Genome Research, Stockholm University, S 106 91, Stockholm, Sweden
Biochim Biophys Acta 1428:348-56. 1999
The effects of ethidium bromide (EtBr) on human lymphocytes were studied by the method of anomalous viscosity time dependence (AVTD) and by the comet assay...
- Dewetting of thin polymer films
Laboratoire de Physico Chimie Théorique, UMR CNRS 7083, ESPCI, 10 rue Vauquelin, 75231, Paris Cedex 05, France
Eur Phys J E Soft Matter 21:161-74. 2006
..In addition, we demonstrate that residual stresses, which can be stored in the films due to their viscoelasticity, are a source of destabilization for polymer films, and accelerate the dewetting process...
- Bio-microrheology: a frontier in microrheology
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Medicine, and Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Biophys J 91:4296-305. 2006
..molecules and signaling through intracellular regions with differing material properties, such as variations in viscosity or elasticity...
- Two-dimensional foam rheology with viscous drag
School of Physics, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Phys Rev Lett 97:038302. 2006
..Phys. Rev. E 73, 031401 (2006)10.1103/PhysRevE.73.031401], and is successful in exhibiting their principal features, which are an exponentially decaying velocity profile and strain localization. Transient effects are also identified...
- Unique gelation behavior of cellulose in NaOH/urea aqueous solution
Department of Chemistry, and Center of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
Biomacromolecules 7:183-9. 2006
..The cellulose solution having a viscosity-average molecular weight (M(eta)) of 11.4 x 10(4) had its sol-gel transition temperature decreased from 60...
- Determination of linear viscoelastic behavior of abdominal aortic aneurysm thrombus
Evelyne A van Dam
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Technische Universiteit Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Biorheology 43:695-707. 2006
..Since results were reproducible it can be concluded that the method we used to determine the viscoelastic properties is applicable to thrombus tissue...
- Computational fluid dynamics modeling of insertion and advancement of a reamer into the intramedullary canal of a long bone
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Ryerson University, 350 Victoria Strret, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Med Eng Phys 29:125-33. 2007
..b>Viscosity was also varied to obtain a pressure envelope...
- Surface force apparatus for nanorheology under large shear strain
Institut des NanoSciences de Paris, UMR 7588 CNRS Universite Paris 6, 140 rue de Lourmel, 75015 Paris, France
Rev Sci Instrum 78:065110. 2007
..Feedback control allows us to greatly extend the range of confinement/shear strain attainable with the surface force apparatus. The performances of the instrument are illustrated using hexadecane as the confined medium...
- Morphological, rheological and mechanical characterization of polypropylene nanocomposite blends
Departmento de Mecánica, GPUSB, Universidad Simon Bolivar, Apartado 89000, Caracas 1080A, Venezuela
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 8:1762-74. 2008
..tougher than those prepared with the nanocomposite of PP as the matrix phase and no significant changes in shear viscosity, melt elasticity, flexural or storage moduli and heat distortion temperature values were observed between them...
- Dispersions of functionalized single-walled carbon nanotubes in strong acids: solubility and rheology
Pradeep K Rai
Carbon Nanotechnology Laboratory, Smalley Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 7:3378-85. 2007
..b>Viscosity measurements in dilute solutions are sensitive to de-bundling...
- Rheological characterization of petrolatum using a controlled stress rheometer
Oral and Respiratory Product Development, Schering Plough Research Institute, Summit, New Jersey 07901, USA
Drug Dev Ind Pharm 34:157-63. 2008
..The findings from this study will help in identifying the critical parameters (for e.g., temperature, mixing) during the processing and handling of such materials, which can have a direct impact on the product rheology and performance...
- In situ Microrheological Determination of Neutrophil Stiffening Following Adhesion in a Model Capillary
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 36:596-603. 2008
..These results are consistent with the literature on leukocyte sequestration and provide insight into the regional rheological effects of deformation and adhesion molecules on neutrophils...
- Crosslinked hyaluronic acid dermal fillers: a comparison of rheological properties
Samuel J Falcone
FzioMed Inc, 231 Bonetti Drive, San Luis Obispo, California 93401, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 87:264-71. 2008
..For these fillers, the magnitude of the complex viscosity, |eta*|, varies by a factor of 20, the magnitude of the complex rigidity modulus, |G*|, and the magnitude of the ..