- New low-viscosity overlay medium for viral plaque assays
Institute of Virology, Philipps University, Hans Meerwein Str, 3, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Virol J 3:63. 2006
..To overcome the pitfalls of known overlays, we tested suspensions of microcrystalline cellulose Avicel RC/CLtrade mark as overlay media in the plaque and plaque-inhibition assay of influenza viruses...
- Experimental validation of a time-domain-based wave propagation model of blood flow in viscoelastic vessels
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, P O Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands
J Biomech 41:284-91. 2008
- Beverage viscosity is inversely related to postprandial hunger in humans
R D Mattes
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, Room 212, 1264 Stone Hall, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1264, USA
Physiol Behav 74:551-7. 2001
..The present study attempted to isolate an influence of viscosity. At weekly intervals, 84 adults ingested 325-ml (220 kcal) shakes that were matched on weight, volume, ..
- Prebiotic oligosaccharides reduce stool viscosity and accelerate gastrointestinal transport in preterm infants
Walter A Mihatsch
Department of Paediatrics, Deaconry Hospital, Schwaebisch Hall, Germany
Acta Paediatr 95:843-8. 2006
..We hypothesized that GosFos would: (1) reduce stool viscosity and (2) accelerate gastrointestinal transport.
- High-viscosity hydroxypropylmethylcellulose blunts postprandial glucose and insulin responses
Kevin C Maki
Provident Clinical Research, 1000 W 1st St, Bloomington, IN 47403, USA
Diabetes Care 30:1039-43. 2007
High-viscosity hydroxypropylmethylcellulose (HV-HPMC) is a modified cellulose fiber that produces a viscous gel in the gastrointestinal tract...
- The optical stretcher: a novel laser tool to micromanipulate cells
Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, Department of Physics, University of Texas at Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Biophys J 81:767-84. 2001
..The magnitude of the deforming forces in the optical stretcher thus bridges the gap between optical tweezers and atomic force microscopy for the study of biologic materials...
- Viscosity of oat bran-enriched beverages influences gastrointestinal hormonal responses in healthy humans
Kristiina R Juvonen
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Food and Health Research Centre, School of Public Health and Clinical Nutrition, University of Kuopio, 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Nutr 139:461-6. 2009
..However, effects of fiber viscosity on modulation of satiety-related gut hormone responses are largely unknown...
- Application of simultaneous saccharification and fermentation (SSF) from viscosity reducing of raw sweet potato for bioethanol production at laboratory, pilot and industrial scales
Environmental Microbiology Key Laboratory of Sichuan Province, Chengdu Institute of Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu, Sichuan 610041, PR China
Bioresour Technol 102:4573-9. 2011
..06 g/L, 4.89 g/L/h and 91.24%) and industrial scale (97.94 g/L, 4.19 g/L/h and 91.27%). When scaled up, the viscosity caused resistance to fermentation parameters, 1...
- Viscoelastic properties of human mesenchymally-derived stem cells and primary osteoblasts, chondrocytes, and adipocytes
Eric M Darling
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Biomech 41:454-64. 2008
..Furthermore, the identification of mechanical properties distinct to stem cells could result in more successful sorting procedures to enrich multipotent progenitor cell populations...
- Thermoreversible mucoadhesive ophthalmic in situ hydrogel: Design and optimization using a combination of polymers
Divyesh H Shastri
Department of Pharmaceutics, K B Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Gandhinagar, Gujarat 382023, India
Acta Pharm 60:349-60. 2010
..Gelation temperature, gel strength, bioadhesion force, viscosity and in vitro drug release after 1 and 10 h were selected as dependent variables...
- Sustained release from lipid-core nanocapsules by varying the core viscosity and the particle surface area
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Porto Alegre, 90610 000 RS, Brazil
J Biomed Nanotechnol 5:130-40. 2009
..46 x 10(4) to 1.06 x 10(4) cm2 x ml(-1)). The presence of SM increased the viscosity of CCT and the IndOEt apparent permeability decreased from 4.26 x 10(-7) to 2...
- Clinical performance of a mid-viscosity artificial tear for dry eye treatment
Peter A Simmons
Eye Care Research and Development, Allergan LLC, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
Cornea 26:294-302. 2007
We report the results of 3 studies conducted to evaluate the performance of a 1.0% carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) mid-viscosity artificial tear compared to currently marketed low-viscosity tears.
- The effects of food viscosity on bite size, bite effort and food intake
R A de Wijk
Top Institute for Food and Nutrition, 6700 AN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Physiol Behav 95:527-32. 2008
Two studies investigated the effect of a food's viscosity on bite size, bite effort and food intake using a standardized protocol in which subjects sipped through a straw every 20 s for a period of 15 min from one of two products, a ..
- Cross-linking molecules modify composite actin networks independently
K M Schmoller
Lehrstuhl für Biophysik E27, Technische Universitat Munchen, James Franck Strasse 1, 85748 Garching, Germany
Phys Rev Lett 101:118102. 2008
..The outnumbering ABP dictates the local network structure and therefore also dominates the macromechanical network response...
- Effect of viscosity on appetite and gastro-intestinal hormones
Top Institute Food and Nutrition, Wageningen, The Netherlands Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Physiol Behav 97:68-75. 2009
In previous studies we showed that higher viscosity resulted in lower ad libitum intake and that eating rate is an important factor...
- The viscoelasticity of membrane tethers and its importance for cell adhesion
Applied Physics and Biophysics, Ludwig Maximilians University, 80799 Munich, Germany
Biophys J 95:1448-59. 2008
..anchorage of the receptor, which is described by the tether stiffness, the membrane rigidity, and the membrane viscosity. The measurements relate to a tether stiffness of k(t) = 1...
- A distinct DGAT with sn-3 acetyltransferase activity that synthesizes unusual, reduced-viscosity oils in Euonymus and transgenic seeds
Timothy P Durrett
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:9464-9. 2010
..the sn-3 acetyl group imparts acTAGs with different physical and chemical properties, such as a 30% reduction in viscosity, compared to lcTAGs...
- Effect of resin viscosity and enamel beveling on the clinical performance of Class V composite restorations: three-year results
Luiz Narciso Baratieri
Department of Operative Dentistry, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC Brazil
Oper Dent 28:482-7. 2003
..Enamel beveling and composite viscosity appeared to not significantly affect the clinical performance of Class V non-retentive composite restorations ..
- Validation of a one-dimensional model of the systemic arterial tree
Laboratory of Hemodynamics and Cardiovascular Technology, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 297:H208-22. 2009
..The study constitutes a first validation of the complete 1-D model using human pressure and flow data and supports the applicability of the 1-D model in the human circulation...
- In vitro and in vivo characterization of a potential universal placebo designed for use in vaginal microbicide clinical trials
Biosyn, Inc, Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 21:845-53. 2005
- The impact of aging and gender on brain viscoelasticity
Department of Radiology, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Berlin, Germany
Neuroimage 46:652-7. 2009
..5 Hz revealed for the first time how physiological aging changes the global viscosity and elasticity of the brain...
- Reconfigurable microfluidic integration of a dual-beam laser trap with biomedical applications
Institut für Experimentalphysik I, Universitat Leipzig, Linnestr 5, 04103, Leipzig, Germany
Biomed Microdevices 9:703-10. 2007
..Possible applications include the cytological diagnosis of cancer and the gentle and marker-free sorting of stem cells from heterogeneous populations for therapeutic cell-based approaches in regenerative medicine...
- Beta-glucan from two sources of oat concentrates affect postprandial glycemia in relation to the level of viscosity
University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Toronto, ON, M5S 3E2, Canada
J Am Coll Nutr 26:639-44. 2007
..This effect seems to be related to its rheological properties including viscosity. We examined the intra-fiber variability between two different processing methods of concentrating beta-glucan ..
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of Pluronic F127-based ocular delivery system for timolol maleate
A H El-Kamel
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Women Students Medical Studies and Science Sections, PO Box 22452, 11495, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Int J Pharm 241:47-55. 2002
..an attempt to reduce the concentration of PF127 without compromising the in situ gelling capabilities, various viscosity enhancing agents were added to PF127 solution containing 0.5% TM...
- Association between rmpA and magA genes and clinical syndromes caused by Klebsiella pneumoniae in Taiwan
Wen Liang Yu
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Yungkang City, Tainan, Taiwan
Clin Infect Dis 42:1351-8. 2006
..However, the association of rmpA with K. pneumoniae clinical syndromes is unreported. We aimed to investigate the clinical correlation between rmpA and primary Klebsiella abscess, focusing on sites other than the liver...
- Microemulsion-based media as novel drug delivery systems
M J Lawrence
Department of Pharmacy, King s College London, Franklin Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, SE1 9NN, London, UK
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 45:89-121. 2000
..The use of microemulsions and closely related microemulsion-based systems as drug delivery vehicles is reviewed, with particular emphasis being placed on recent developments and future directions...
- Quantitative analysis of the viscoelastic properties of thin regions of fibroblasts using atomic force microscopy
R E Mahaffy
Department of Physics, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, USA
Biophys J 86:1777-93. 2004
..Applying this decomposition and Tu's and Chen's finite depth models allow us to obtain viscoelastic signatures in a frequency range from 50 to 300 Hz, showing a rubber plateau-like behavior...
- High-viscosity liquid meal accelerates gastric emptying
Department of Endoscopy and Endoscopic Surgery, Gunma University Hospital, Gunma, Japan
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:879-86. 2007
Adding pectin to an elemental formula increases its viscosity through gelatinization, thus presumably preventing gastro-oesophageal reflux and aspiration pneumonia...
- The cell as a material
Karen E Kasza
Department of Physics and DEAS, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Curr Opin Cell Biol 19:101-7. 2007
..These networks are highly nonlinear, with an elastic modulus that depends sensitively on applied stress. Theories can account for some of the measured properties, but a complete model remains elusive...
- Experimental evidence for a frustrated energy landscape in a three-helix-bundle protein family
Beth G Wensley
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, MRC Centre for Protein Engineering, Lensfield Rd, Cambridge CB2 1EW UK
Nature 463:685-8. 2010
- Effect of meal viscosity and nutrients on satiety, intragastric dilution, and emptying assessed by MRI
Magnetic Resonance Centre, School of Physics and Astronomy, Nottingham NG7 2RD, United Kingdom
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 280:G1227-33. 2001
..magnetic resonance imaging techniques in 12 healthy subjects with four polysaccharide test meals of varying viscosity and nutrient content as follows: 1) low-viscosity nonnutrient, 2) low-viscosity nutrient, 3) high-viscosity ..
- Interaction between PEVK-titin and actin filaments: origin of a viscous force component in cardiac myofibrils
Institute of Physiology, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Circ Res 89:874-81. 2001
..We conclude that interaction between PEVK-titin and actin occurs in the sarcomere and may cause viscous drag during diastolic stretch of cardiac myofibrils. The interaction could also oppose shortening during contraction...
- Tensile force transmission in human patellar tendon fascicles is not mediated by glycosaminoglycans
René B Svensson
Institute of Sports Medicine Copenhagen, Bispebjerg Hospital and Center for Healthy Aging, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Connect Tissue Res 52:415-21. 2011
..The effect of deformation rate was not modulated by the treatment either, indicating no effect on viscosity. These results suggest that GAGs cannot be considered mediators of tensile force transmission in the human ..
- Imaging intracellular viscosity of a single cell during photoinduced cell death
Marina K Kuimova
Chemistry Department, Imperial College London, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Nat Chem 1:69-73. 2009
..The efficacy of this treatment depends on the viscosity of the medium through which the cytotoxic agent must diffuse...
- In vivo brain viscoelastic properties measured by magnetic resonance elastography
Michael A Green
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, UNSW, Sydney, Australia
NMR Biomed 21:755-64. 2008
..1 kPa) to be significantly stiffer than white matter (2.7 kPa). The first in vivo loss modulus (G'') measurements show no significant difference between grey matter (2.5 kPa) and white matter (2.5 kPa)...
- Protein folding: adding a nucleus to guide helix docking reduces landscape roughness
Beth G Wensley
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
J Mol Biol 423:273-83. 2012
..We suggest that, by providing access to an alternative, faster, folding route over their landscape, R16 and R17 can circumvent their slow, frustrated wild-type folding mechanism...
- The role of the cytoskeleton in the viscoelastic properties of human articular chondrocytes
Wendy R Trickey
Departments of Surgery and Biomedical Engineering, Orthopaedic Research Laboratories, Duke University Medical Center, 375 Medical Sciences Research Bldg, P O Box 3093, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Orthop Res 22:131-9. 2004
..With increasing cytochalasin D treatment, chondrocyte stiffness decreased by up to 90% and apparent viscosity decreased by up to 80%...
- Transient binding and dissipation in cross-linked actin networks
Lehrstuhl für Biophysik E27, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany
Phys Rev Lett 101:108101. 2008
..by experimentally tuning the off rate of the transiently cross-linking molecules, their density, and the solvent viscosity. We reproduce the measured frequency response by a semiphenomenological model that is predicated on microscopic ..
- An anisotropic-viscoplastic model of plant cell morphogenesis by tip growth
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Int J Dev Biol 50:209-22. 2006
..Finally, we show that the mechanical anisotropy built into the model is required to account for observed patterns of wall expansion in plant cells...
- The influence of charge distribution on self-association and viscosity behavior of monoclonal antibody solutions
Late Stage Pharmaceutical Development, Genentech, Inc, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
Mol Pharm 9:791-802. 2012
..electrostatic surface potential distribution of monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) on intermolecular interactions and viscosity. Electrostatic models suggest MAb-1 has a less uniform surface charge distribution than MAb-2...
- Sperm motility: is viscosity fundamental to progress?
Jackson C Kirkman-Brown
The Centre for Human Reproductive Science, Birmingham Women s Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Mol Hum Reprod 17:539-44. 2011
..What most research has neglected to consider is the role that the viscosity of the mucous layers, which coat the entire tract and through which sperm must swim, plays in both sperm ..
- Substrate viscosity enhances correlation in epithelial sheet movement
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Biophys J 101:297-306. 2011
..To better mimic physiological substrates that have inherent viscosity, we probe this relationship using polydimethylsiloxane, a substrate whose mechanical properties can be tuned ..
- Assessment of in vivo and post-mortem mechanical behavior of brain tissue using magnetic resonance elastography
Institut de mécanique des fluides et des solides UMR 7507 CNRS ULP, Strasbourg, France
J Biomech 41:2954-9. 2008
..02). These results illustrate the ability of MRE to investigate some of the critical soft tissue biomechanics-related issues, as it can be used as a non-invasive tool for measuring soft tissue viscoelastic properties...
- Ester hydroxy derivatives of methyl oleate: tribological, oxidation and low temperature properties
Brajendra K Sharma
USDA NCAUR ARS, Food and Industrial Oil Research, 1815 North University Street, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
Bioresour Technol 99:7333-40. 2008
..Overall, the data indicate that some of these derivatives have significant potential as a lubricating oil or fuel additives...
- Analysis of viscoelastic wall properties in ovine arteries
Department of Mathematics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:210-9. 2009
..We also show that for all locations, the inclusion of viscoelastic behavior is important to capture pressure-area dynamics...
- Non-invasive measurement of brain viscoelasticity using magnetic resonance elastography
Institute of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
NMR Biomed 21:265-71. 2008
..time-resolved phase-difference wave images were recorded within 60 s and analyzed for shear stiffness and shear viscosity. Six healthy volunteers (six men; mean age 34...
- Viscoelasticity-based MR elastography of skeletal muscle
Department of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
Phys Med Biol 55:6445-59. 2010
..253 ± 0.009) to contraction (α = 0.270 ± 0.009). These results provide a reference for a future assessment of muscular dysfunction using rheological parameters...
- Fluctuations of the red blood cell membrane: relation to mechanical properties and lack of ATP dependence
King s College London, Randall Division of Cell and Molecular Biophysics, Guy s Campus, London, United Kingdom
Biophys J 94:4134-44. 2008
..This was caused by a rise in internal viscosity, as shown by measurements on resealed ghosts containing a reduced hemoglobin concentration, which displayed no ..
- Laser assisted bioprinting of engineered tissue with high cell density and microscale organization
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux Cedex, France
Biomaterials 31:7250-6. 2010
..We have studied the effect of the viscosity of the bioink, laser energy, and laser printing speed on the resolution of cell printing...
- Critical evaluation of Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis (NTA) by NanoSight for the measurement of nanoparticles and protein aggregates
Division of Drug Delivery Technology, Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden University, P O Box 9502, 2300, RA, Leiden, The Netherlands
Pharm Res 27:796-810. 2010
..To evaluate the nanoparticle tracking analysis (NTA) technique, compare it with dynamic light scattering (DLS) and test its performance in characterizing drug delivery nanoparticles and protein aggregates...
- Preliminary characterization of exopolysaccharides produced by a marine biofilm-forming bacterium Pseudoalteromonas ruthenica (SBT 033)
Department of Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Pondicherry University, Puducherry 605 014, India
Lett Appl Microbiol 46:1-6. 2008
..The major objective of the present study was the partial characterization of the exopolysaccharides (EPS) produced by a marine biofilm-forming bacterium Pseudoalteromonas ruthenica under shake culture conditions...
- A novel virulence gene in Klebsiella pneumoniae strains causing primary liver abscess and septic metastatic complications
Chi Tai Fang
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei 100
J Exp Med 199:697-705. 2004
..We conclude that magA fits molecular Koch's postulates as a virulence gene. Thus, this locus can be used as a marker for the rapid diagnosis and for tracing the source of this emerging infectious disease...
- Computational modeling of ligament mechanics
J A Weiss
Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112, USA
Crit Rev Biomed Eng 29:303-71. 2001
..Applications of one-dimensional and three-dimensional constitutive models in the representation of the mechanical behavior of joints are presented. Future research directions are identified...
- Cell motility and local viscoelasticity of fibroblasts
Department of Physics, Texas Materials Institute, and Center for Nano and Molecular Science, University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Biophys J 89:4330-42. 2005
..The correlation between the enhanced motility and the decrease in viscoelastic moduli supports the Elastic Brownian Ratchet model for driving lamellipodia extension...
- Stepping, strain gating, and an unexpected force-velocity curve for multiple-motor-based transport
Department of Developmental and Cell Biology, University of California, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Curr Biol 18:1173-83. 2008
..Although we understand single motors experimentally and theoretically, our understanding of multiple motors working together is less developed...
- High viscosity and anisotropy characterize the cytoplasm of fungal dormant stress-resistant spores
Department of Applied and Industrial Mycology, Centraalbureau voor Schimmelcultures, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eukaryot Cell 6:157-70. 2007
..Here, physical parameters of the cytoplasm of these types of spores were compared. Cytoplasmic viscosity and level of anisotropy as judged by spin probe studies (electron spin resonance) were extremely high in dormant ..
- Ras diffusion is sensitive to plasma membrane viscosity
J Shawn Goodwin
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Biophys J 89:1398-410. 2005
..GPI)-anchored and transmembrane proteins below the theoretical limit imposed by membrane viscosity. How the diffusion of proteins residing exclusively on the inner leaflet of the plasma membrane is regulated has ..
- Reversible stress softening of actin networks
UC San Francisco UC Berkeley Joint Graduate Group in Bioengineering and Department of Bioengineering, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Nature 445:295-8. 2007
..The observation of both stress stiffening and softening suggests a complex interplay between entropic and enthalpic elasticity in determining the mechanical properties of actin networks...
- Macromolecular size-and-shape distributions by sedimentation velocity analytical ultracentrifugation
Patrick H Brown
Protein Biophysics Resource, Division of Bioengineering and Physical Science, ORS, Office of the Director, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biophys J 90:4651-61. 2006
..We show that this can be used to determine average molar masses of macromolecules and characterize macromolecular distributions, without the approximation of any scaling relationship between hydrodynamic and thermodynamic parameters...
- Overexpression of myosin IB in living Entamoeba histolytica enhances cytoplasm viscosity and reduces phagocytosis
Unité de Biologie Cellulaire du Parasitisme, INSERM U389, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux 75724, Paris Cedex 15, France
J Cell Sci 117:3271-9. 2004
..Using this technique, we showed that overexpression of myosin IB led to an increase in cytoplasm viscosity, which correlated with a delay in initiating human cell phagocytosis...
- The influence of cement viscosity on the early migration of a tapered polished femoral stem
Oxford Orthopaedic Engineering Centre, Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Windmill Road, Headington, Oxford, OX3 7LD, UK
Int Orthop 27:362-5. 2003
It is unclear whether it is best to use high-viscosity or low-viscosity cement for fixation of total hip replacement (THR) femoral components...
- A mathematical explanation of an increase in bacterial swimming speed with viscosity in linear-polymer solutions
National Food Research Institute, Tsukuba 305 8642, Japan
Biophys J 83:733-9. 2002
Bacterial swimming speed is sometimes known to increase with viscosity. This phenomenon is peculiar to bacterial motion. Berg and Turner (Nature...
- Viscoelastic properties of single polysaccharide molecules determined by analysis of thermally driven oscillations of an atomic force microscope cantilever
Institute of Molecular Biophysics, Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology, School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
Langmuir 20:9299-303. 2004
..The molecular damping is also seen to follow a nontrivial dependence on loading which we suggest indicates that it is internal friction and not work done on the solvent that is the dominant dissipative process...
- Contrast viscosity changes upon photoirradiation for mixtures of poly(acrylic acid)-based alpha-cyclodextrin and azobenzene polymers
Department of Macromolecular Science, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560 0043, Japan
J Am Chem Soc 128:2226-7. 2006
..through the 3- and 6-positions in CD (p3alphaCD and p6alphaCD, respectively), using several techniques, such as viscosity and NMR measurements...
- Viscosity and solute dependence of F-actin translocation by rabbit skeletal heavy meromyosin
P B Chase
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 278:C1088-98. 2000
We tested the hypothesis that solvent viscosity affects translocation of rhodamine phalloidin-labeled F-actin by rabbit skeletal heavy meromyosin (HMM). When viscosity was increased using either glycerol, fructose, sucrose, or dextran (1...
- Heat treatment of bovine colostrum. I: effects of temperature on viscosity and immunoglobulin G level
Department of Veterinary Population Medicine, University of Minnesota, St Paul 55108, USA
J Dairy Sci 89:2110-8. 2006
..temperature, at or below which heat-treatment of bovine colostrum would produce no significant changes in viscosity, IgG concentration, or Ig activity...
- Primate insular/opercular taste cortex: neuronal representations of the viscosity, fat texture, grittiness, temperature, and taste of foods
Justus V Verhagen
Dept of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, S Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3UD, UK
J Neurophysiol 92:1685-99. 2004
..5%) responded to oral stimuli. Of the orally responsive neurons, some (53%) represented the viscosity, tested using carboxymethyl-cellulose in the range 1-10,000 cP...
- Characterization of cell mechanical properties by computational modeling of parallel plate compression
J P McGarry
Department of Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering, National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Ann Biomed Eng 37:2317-25. 2009
..Finally, a non-linear force-deformation response is simulated using differing linear viscoelastic properties for the cell nucleus and the cell cytoplasm...
- Antisense inhibition of isoamylase alters the structure of amylopectin and the physicochemical properties of starch in rice endosperm
Department of Biological Production, Akita Prefectural University, Akita City, Akita, 010 0195 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 44:607-18. 2003
..reduction of isoamylase activity markedly lowered the gelatinization temperature from 54 to 43 degrees C and the viscosity, and modified X-ray diffraction pattern and the granule morphology of the starch...
- The influence of Hofmeister series ions on hyaluronan swelling and viscosity
Department of Physics and Materials Engineering, Faculty of Technology, Tomas Bata University in Zlin, Nad Stranemi 4511, 76005 Zlín, Czech Republic
Molecules 13:1025-34. 2008
..coefficient D(c), the mean mutual diffusion coefficient D(s), the expansion work of coil swelling RA(delta,s), the activation enthalpy of diffusion connected with swelling H(D,s) and kinematic viscosity of hyaluronan-ions solutions nu.
- Endothelial, cardiac muscle and skeletal muscle exhibit different viscous and elastic properties as determined by atomic force microscopy
A B Mathur
Center for Cellular and Biosurface Engineering, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Box 90281, 136 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708-0281, USA
J Biomech 34:1545-53. 2001
..4 kPa) depending on the location of the cell surface tested. Cardiac and skeletal muscle exhibited nonlinear elastic behavior. These passive mechanical properties are generally consistent with the function of these different cell types...
- The effect of temperature on viscosity of root canal sealers
Department of Biomaterials and Conservative Dentistry, Dental Institute, King s College London, London, UK
Int Endod J 39:860-6. 2006
To test the hypothesis that there was no significant (alpha = 0.05) change in viscosity of commercially available root canal sealers with increase in temperature using a high-performance Advanced Rheometric Expansion System (ARES) ..
- Mechanical models for living cells--a review
C T Lim
Nano Biomechanics Laboratory, Division of Bioengineering and Department of Mechanical Engineering, National University of Singapore, 9 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117576, Singapore
J Biomech 39:195-216. 2006
..More realistic mechanical models of living cells can further contribute towards the study of mechanotransduction in cells...
- Genetic basis of 17 traits and viscosity parameters characterizing the eating and cooking quality of rice grain
L Q Wang
National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, National Center of Plant Gene Research Wuhan and National Center of Crop Molecular Breeding, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, 430070, China
Theor Appl Genet 115:463-76. 2007
..gel consistency (GC), alkali spreading value (ASV), cooked rice elongation (CRE), and 13 parameters from the viscosity profile...
- Dealing with mechanics: mechanisms of force transduction in cells
Paul A Janmey
Departments of Physiology and Physics, University of Pennsylvania, Institute for Medicine and Engineering, 3340 Smith Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 29:364-70. 2004
- Simultaneous transgenic suppression of LePG and LeExp1 influences fruit texture and juice viscosity in a fresh market tomato variety
Ann L T Powell
Department of Vegetable Crops, University of California, Davis, California 95616
J Agric Food Chem 51:7450-5. 2003
..disassembly is associated with loss of fresh fruit firmness as well as with loss of processed tomato product viscosity. Several enzymes contribute to cell wall polysaccharide disassembly...
- Measuring internal friction of an ultrafast-folding protein
Laboratory of Chemical Physics, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 0520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18320-5. 2008
Nanosecond laser T-jump was used to measure the viscosity dependence of the folding kinetics of the villin subdomain under conditions where the viscogen has no effect on its equilibrium properties...
- Comparative analysis of viscosity of complex liquids and cytoplasm of mammalian cells at the nanoscale
Department of Soft Condensed Matter, Institute of Physical Chemistry PAS, Kasprzaka 44 52 01 224 Warsaw, Poland
Nano Lett 11:2157-63. 2011
We present a scaling formula for size-dependent viscosity coefficients for proteins, polymers, and fluorescent dyes diffusing in complex liquids...
- Controlled release of metronidazole benzoate from poly epsilon-caprolactone electrospun nanofibers for periodontal diseases
Department of Textile Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, Iran
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 75:179-85. 2010
..an increase in the DCM:DMF ratio led to a decrease in the solution conductivity and an increase in the solution viscosity as well as in the nanofibers diameter...
- Active fluidization of polymer networks through molecular motors
Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, University of Texas at Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Nature 416:413-6. 2002
..By superseding reptation with sliding motion, the molecular motors thus overcome a fundamental principle of complex fluids: that only depolymerization makes an entangled, isotropic polymer solution fluid for quick deformations...
- Clinical and SEM assessment of ART high-viscosity glass-ionomer sealants after 8-13 years in 4 teeth
J E Frencken
Department of Global Oral Health, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, College of Dental Sciences, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Dent 38:59-64. 2010
Resin composite sealants are retained longer than low-viscosity glass-ionomer sealants...
- Control of the postsynaptic membrane viscosity
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Biologie Cellulaire de la Synapse, 75005 Paris, France
J Neurosci 29:2926-37. 2009
The physical properties of the postsynaptic membrane (PSM), including its viscosity, determine its capacity to regulate the net flux of synaptic membrane proteins such as neurotransmitter receptors...
- Reduction in exopolysaccharide viscosity as an aid to bacteriophage penetration through Pseudomonas aeruginosa biofilms
G W Hanlon
School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, University of Brighton, Moulsecoomb, Brighton BN2 4GJ, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 67:2746-53. 2001
..of alginate to act as a more effective diffusional barrier suggests that phage may cause a reduction in the viscosity of the exopolysaccharide...
- Noninvasive assessment of the rheological behavior of human organs using multifrequency MR elastography: a study of brain and liver viscoelasticity
Department of Radiology, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Charite Mitte, Chariteplatz 1, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Phys Med Biol 52:7281-94. 2007
..84 +/- 0.22 (1.36 +/- 0.31) kPa, mu(2) = 2.03 +/- 0.19 (1.86 +/- 0.34) kPa and one shear viscosity of eta = 6.7 +/- 1.3 (5.5 +/- 1.6) Pa s (interindividual mean +/- SD) in brain (liver) experiments...
- Release characteristics of diclofenac sodium from poly(vinyl alcohol)/sodium alginate and poly(vinyl alcohol)-grafted-poly(acrylamide)/sodium alginate blend beads
Gazi Universitesi, Fen Edebiyat Fakultesi, Kimya Bolumu, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 65:204-14. 2007
..It was also observed from release results that DS release from the beads through the external medium is much higher at high pH (6.8 and 7.4) than that at low pH (1.2). The drug release from the beads mostly followed Case II transport...
- Mechanical properties of axons
Departamento de Fisica, Universidad de Santiago de Chile, and CIMAT, Correo 2, Santiago, Chile
Phys Rev Lett 99:018301. 2007
..Under certain conditions, axons show a transition from a viscoelastic elongation to active contraction, suggesting the presence of a negative elongation rate sensitivity in the curve T vs delta(k)...
- Representations of the texture of food in the primate orbitofrontal cortex: neurons responding to viscosity, grittiness, and capsaicin
Edmund T Rolls
Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3UD, United Kingdom
J Neurophysiol 90:3711-24. 2003
..Use of oral viscosity stimuli consisting of carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) in the range 1-10,000 centipoise showed that the responses of ..
- Soluble fiber viscosity affects both goblet cell number and small intestine mucin secretion in rats
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Shizuoka University, 836 Ohya, Shizuoka 422 8529, Japan
J Nutr 139:1640-7. 2009
We examined the role of soluble fiber viscosity in small intestinal mucin secretion. Viscosities were defined as the area under the viscosity curve (VAUC)...
- Collagen orientation and molecular spacing during creep and stress-relaxation in soft connective tissues
P P Purslow
School of Molecular and Medical Biosciences, University of Wales College of Cardiff, UK
J Exp Biol 201:135-42. 1998
..The non-linear (strain-dependent) nature of the stress-relaxation response in these tissues suggests that relaxation processes within the collagen fibres or at the fibre-matrix interface may be responsible for their viscoelastic nature...
- Environmental viscosity does not affect the evolution of cooperation during experimental evolution of colicigenic bacteria
Mickael Le Gac
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, 6270 University Boulevard, Vancouver BC V6T 1Z4, Canada
Evolution 64:522-33. 2010
..Competition experiments indicated that cooperation is not favored by environmental viscosity as imposed in our system and suggested that when it comes to cooperation, environmental viscosity should be ..
- Peptide chain dynamics in light and heavy water: zooming in on internal friction
Julius C F Schulz
Fachbereich Physik, Freie Universitat Berlin, 14195 Berlin, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 134:6273-9. 2012
..such "internal friction" has been investigated by studying folding or binding kinetics at varying solvent viscosity; however, the molecular origin of these effects is hard to pinpoint...
- Improved resuscitation from hemorrhagic shock with Ringer's lactate with increased viscosity in the hamster window chamber model
Nivaldo R Villela
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0412, USA
J Trauma 71:418-24. 2011
..We explored the hypothesis that reduced Ringer's lactate (RL) volume restoration in hemorrhage is significantly improved by increasing its viscosity, leading to improved microvascular conditions.
- Electrospun chitosan-gelatin nanofiberous scaffold: fabrication and in vitro evaluation
Faculty of Biomedical Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran
Biomed Mater Eng 21:99-112. 2011
..Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) showed that the low-viscosity sample with 30% chitosan and 70% gelatin (sample 30/70) formed the least amount of beads and droplets and ..
- Noninvasive determination of cell nucleoplasmic viscosity by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy
South China Normal University, Ministry of Education, Key Laboratory of Laser Life Science and Institute of Laser Life Science, Guangzhou 510631, China
J Biomed Opt 14:024013. 2009
..study examines the use of fluorescence correlation spectroscopy (FCS) to noninvasively determine nucleoplasmic viscosity (eta(nu)), an important parameter of nucleoplasmic rheology...
- Effect of heat treatment of bovine colostrum on bacterial counts, viscosity, and Immunoglobulin G concentration
J A Elizondo-Salazar
Department of Dairy and Animal Science, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:961-7. 2010
..to identify the optimal temperature and time at which heat treatment of bovine colostrum would least change viscosity and IgG concentrations yet reduce bacterial count...
- Distribution and clearance of bioadhesive formulations from the olfactory region in man: effect of polymer type and nasal delivery device
School of Pharmacy, University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
Eur J Pharm Sci 30:295-302. 2007
..It was further shown that the reproducibility of olfactory delivery of a polymer formulation was significantly better intra-subject than inter-subject...
- Effect of viscosity on mechanics of single, skinned fibers from rabbit psoas muscle
P B Chase
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7115, USA
Biophys J 74:1428-38. 1998
Muscle contraction is highly dynamic and thus may be influenced by viscosity of the medium surrounding the myofilaments. Single, skinned fibers from rabbit psoas muscle were used to test this hypothesis...
- Three-dimensional analysis of shear wave propagation observed by in vivo magnetic resonance elastography of the brain
Institute of Medical Informatics, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D 12203 Berlin, Germany
Acta Biomater 3:127-37. 2007
..5kPa. Using the proposed slice positions in 2-D MRE, this shear modulus can be reproduced with an acceptable error within a fraction of the full 3-D examination time...
- Synthesis, cocrystallization, and enzymatic degradation of novel poly(butylene-co-propylene succinate) copolymers
George Z Papageorgiou
Laboratory of Organic Chemical Technology, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GR 541 24, Thessaloniki, Macedonia, Greece
Biomacromolecules 8:2437-49. 2007
..Enzymatic hydrolysis study, using Rhizopus delemar and Pseudomonas cepacia lipases, showed that degradation was faster for copolymers with high PSu content, compared even to the fast-degrading PPSu...
- Measurement of the dynamic shear modulus of mouse brain tissue in vivo by magnetic resonance elastography
Stefan M Atay
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Washington University, 1 Brookings Drive, Box 1185, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
J Biomech Eng 130:021013. 2008
..These data complement measurements of nonlinear viscoelastic properties obtained by others at slower rates, either ex vivo or invasively...
- Sizing of single globular DNA molecules by using a circular acceleration technique with laser trapping
Health Technology Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, 2217 14, Hayashi cho, Takamatsu, Kagawa, 761 0395, Japan
Anal Chem 80:5197-202. 2008
..We also investigated a possibility of reusing the globular DNA molecules condensed by PEG and Mg(2+) for PCR and found that PCR efficiency was not deteriorated in the presence of the condensation agents...