Genomes and Genes
Summary: The characteristic 3-dimensional shape of a carbohydrate.
Publications266 found, 100 shown here
- Intramolecular carbohydrate-aromatic interactions and intermolecular van der Waals interactions enhance the molecular recognition ability of GM1 glycomimetics for cholera toxinAnna Bernardi
Università di Milano Dipartimento di Chimica Organica e Industriale e Centro di Eccellenza CISI via Venezian 21, 20133 Milano, Italy
Chemistry 10:4395. 2004..The exploitation of this kind of sugar-aromatic interaction, which is very well described in the context of carbohydrate/protein complexes, may open new avenues for the rational design of sugar mimics...
- Intracellular functions of N-linked glycansA Helenius
Institute of Biochemistry, , , , Switzerland
Science 291:2364-9. 2001..The division of synthesis and processing between the ER and the Golgi complex represents an evolutionary adaptation that allows efficient exploitation of the potential of oligosaccharides...
- Isomeric analysis of oligomannosidic N-glycans and their dolichol-linked precursorsMartin Pabst
Department of Chemistry, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Muthgasse 18, 1190 Vienna, Austria
Glycobiology 22:389-99. 2012..A tightly woven net of evidence supports these assignments. Noteworthy, this isomer assignment happens in the course of a comprehensive analysis of all types of a sample's N-glycans...
- CD1d-restricted and TCR-mediated activation of valpha14 NKT cells by glycosylceramidesT Kawano
CREST Core Research for Evolutional Science and Technology Project, Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo, Chiba 260, Japan
Science 278:1626-9. 1997..Thus, this lymphocyte shares distinct recognition systems with either T or NK cells...
- The revised NMR chemical shift data of carrageenansFred van de Velde
Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences, PO Box 557, 6700 AN Wageningen, The Netherlands
Carbohydr Res 339:2309-13. 2004..Additionally, chemical shifts of common internal standards, such as methanol, DMSO and acetone, were measured at different temperatures and pH values...
- Molecular basis of C(2+)-induced gelation in alginates and pectins: the egg-box model revisitedI Braccini
, , CNRS, BP 53 X, 38041 Grenoble Cedex, France
Biomacromolecules 2:1089-96. 2001....
- Structural characterization of N-linked oligosaccharides on monoclonal antibody cetuximab by the combination of orthogonal matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization hybrid quadrupole-quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry and sequential enzyJun Qian
Department of Bioanalytical Science, ImClone Systems Incorporated, Branchburg, NJ 08876, USA
Anal Biochem 364:8-18. 2007..This study represents a unique approach in that MS/MS data were used to identify and confirm the oligosaccharide structures of a protein...
- High-mannose glycans are elevated during breast cancer progressionMaria Lorna A de Leoz
Department of Chemistry, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 10:M110.002717. 2011..630 in both mouse and human sera in the presence of breast cancer, suggesting an incompletion of the glycosylation process that normally trims back Man(9) to produce complex and hybrid type oligosaccharides...
- Anticoagulant heparan sulfate: structural specificity and biosynthesisJian Liu
Division of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina, Rm 309, Beard Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 74:263-72. 2007..These advancements provide the foundation for the development of polysaccharide-based therapeutic agents...
- pdb-care (PDB carbohydrate residue check): a program to support annotation of complex carbohydrate structures in PDB filesThomas Lütteke
German Cancer Research Center, Central Spectroscopic Department, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Bioinformatics 5:69. 2004..Unfortunately, no software is currently available which aligns the 3D information with the reported assignments. It is the aim of this work to fill this gap...
- Sweet spots in functional glycomicsJames C Paulson
Department of Molecular Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nat Chem Biol 2:238-48. 2006....
- The repertoire of glycan determinants in the human glycomeRichard D Cummings
Department of Biochemistry, Emory University School of Medicine, 1510 Clifton Rd 4001, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Mol Biosyst 5:1087-104. 2009..These numbers provide an achievable target for new chemical and/or enzymatic syntheses, and raise new challenges for defining the total glycome and the determinants recognized by GBPs...
- Regulated glycosylation patterns of IgG during alloimmune responses against human platelet antigensManfred Wuhrer
Department of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands m wuhrer
J Proteome Res 8:450-6. 2009..Moreover, experiments in animal models as well as in vitro immunological tests will be needed to unravel the mechanisms regulating IgG Fc glycosylation...
- Carbohydrate Structure Suite (CSS): analysis of carbohydrate 3D structures derived from the PDBThomas Lütteke
Central Spectroscopic Department, German Cancer Research Centre, INF 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 33:D242-6. 2005..Furthermore, tools to crosslink the PDB and carbohydrate databases and to check the integrity of carbohydrate 3D structures are included. The service is available at (www.dkfz.de/spec/css/)...
- Novel glycan biomarkers for the detection of lung cancerJames N Arnold
Department of Biochemistry, Oxford Glycobiology Institute, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, England
J Proteome Res 10:1755-64. 2011..The combination of all glyco-biomarkers had the highest sensitivity and specificity. This study identifies candidates for further study as potential biomarkers for the disease...
- Carbohydrate-pi interactions: what are they worth?Zachary R Laughrey
Department of Chemistry, CB 3290, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:14625-33. 2008..These findings demonstrate the significance of carbohydrate-pi interactions within biological systems and also their utility as a molecular recognition element in designed systems...
- The high degree of internal flexibility observed for an oligomannose oligosaccharide does not alter the overall topology of the moleculeR J Woods
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, Department of Biochemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, USA
Eur J Biochem 258:372-86. 1998..The control exerted by the solvent over both the flexibility and overall topology of an oligosaccharide has important implications for recognition processes and for the conformational properties of glycans attached to glycoproteins...
- A mutual regulation between cell-cell adhesion and N-glycosylation: implication of the bisecting GlcNAc for biological functionsJianguo Gu
Division of Regulatory Glycobiology, Tohoku Pharmaceutical University, Sendai Miyagi 981 8558, Japan
J Proteome Res 8:431-5. 2009..Here, we focus mainly on a mutual regulation between E-cadherin-mediated cell-cell adhesion and N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase III (GnT-III) expression, and discuss its implications for biological functions...
- Conformational studies of oligosaccharides and glycopeptides: complementarity of NMR, X-ray crystallography, and molecular modellingMark R Wormald
Oxford Glycobiology Institute, Department of Biochemistry, Oxford University, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, United Kingdom
Chem Rev 102:371-86. 2002
- Structural investigation of the exopolysaccharide produced by Pseudomonas flavescens strain B62--degradation by a fungal cellulase and isolation of the oligosaccharide repeating unitP Cescutti
Dipartimento di Biochimica, Biofisica e Chimica delle Macromolecole, Universita di Trieste, Italy
Eur J Biochem 251:971-9. 1998..The O-acetyl groups are present only on 75% of the repeating units, and they are linked to the C6 of the hexose residues in non-stoichiometric amounts...
- Involvement of water in carbohydrate-protein bindingC Clarke
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, 220 Riverbend Road, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Am Chem Soc 123:12238-47. 2001..It is proposed that an indirect interaction through a water molecule will provide a larger number of hydrogen bonds in the complex that have higher occupancies than in bulk solution, thereby stabilizing the complex...
- Annotation and structural analysis of sialylated human milk oligosaccharidesShuai Wu
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Proteome Res 10:856-68. 2011..When combined with previously determined neutral components, a library with over 70 structures is obtained allowing high-throughput oligosaccharide structure identification...
- A 3D-structural model of unsulfated chondroitin from high-field NMR: 4-sulfation has little effect on backbone conformationBenedict M Sattelle
Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, 131 Princess Street, Manchester, M1 7DN, UK
Carbohydr Res 345:291-302. 2010..Our conclusions exemplify the value of the 3D-model presented here and progress our understanding of glycosaminoglycan molecular properties...
- Enthalpic nature of the CH/pi interaction involved in the recognition of carbohydrates by aromatic compounds, confirmed by a novel interplay of NMR, calorimetry, and theoretical calculationsKarla Ramírez-Gualito
Instituto de Quimica, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Apdo Postal 70213, 04510 Coyoacan, Circuito Exterior, Mexico D F, Mexico
J Am Chem Soc 131:18129-38. 2009..Therefore, methoxy and acetyl substituents have different effects on the protons of the pyranose ring...
- Less is more when simulating unsulfated glycosaminoglycan 3D-structure: comparison of GLYCAM06/TIP3P, PM3-CARB1/TIP3P, and SCC-DFTB-D/TIP3P predictions with experimentBenedict M Sattelle
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, 131 Princess Street, Manchester M1 7DN, United Kingdom
J Comput Chem 31:2932-47. 2010..Our data contribute to the debate and emerging consensus on the relative performance of these levels of theory for biological molecules...
- The plasma von Willebrand factor O-glycome comprises a surprising variety of structures including ABH antigens and disialosyl motifsK Canis
Division of Molecular Biosciences, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Imperial College, London, UK
J Thromb Haemost 8:137-45. 2010..So far only a single glycan structure, a disialyl core 1 glycan, has been identified...
- Residual dipolar coupling investigation of a heparin tetrasaccharide confirms the limited effect of flexibility of the iduronic acid on the molecular shape of heparinLan Jin
School of Chemistry, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
Glycobiology 19:1185-96. 2009..This is in line with conclusions of previous studies based on MD simulations and the analysis of (1)H-(1)H NOEs. Our work therefore demonstrates the effectiveness of RDCs in the conformational analysis of glycosaminoglycans...
- Electrospray ionization mass spectrometry of oligosaccharides derived from fucoidan of Ascophyllum nodosumRegis Daniel
CNRS, UMR 8587, Laboratoire Analyse et Modelisation pour la Biologie et l Environnement, Universite d Evry Val d Essonne, F 91025 Evry, France
Carbohydr Res 342:826-34. 2007..This study demonstrates that highly sulfated oligosaccharides from fucoidan can be analyzed by ESIMS which gives additional information about the structure of this highly complex polysaccharide...
- A novel exopolysaccharide from the biofilm of Thermus aquaticus YT-1 induces the immune response through Toll-like receptor 2Miao Hsia Lin
From the Institute of Biological Chemistry, Academia Sinica, Taipei 115, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 286:17736-45. 2011..TA-1, as a TLR2 agonist, could possibly be used as an adjuvant and could enhance cytokine release, which increases the immune response. Furthermore, TA-1 induced cytokine release is dependent on MyD88/TIRAP...
- IgG-Fc-mediated effector functions: molecular definition of interaction sites for effector ligands and the role of glycosylationR Jefferis
Department of Immunology, Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK
Immunol Rev 163:59-76. 1998....
- Neuroactive chondroitin sulfate glycomimeticsManish Rawat
Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:2959-61. 2008
- Involvement of water in carbohydrate-protein binding: concanavalin A revisitedRenuka Kadirvelraj
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, 315 Riverbend Road, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:16933-42. 2008....
- Structural basis for selective recognition of oligosaccharides by DC-SIGN and DC-SIGNRH Feinberg
Department of Structural Biology, University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 294:2163-6. 2001....
- Conformational properties of glucose-based disaccharides investigated using molecular dynamics simulations with local elevation umbrella samplingLovorka Perić-Hassler
Laboratory of Physical Chemistry, ETH Zurich, ETH Honggerberg, HCI, CH 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Carbohydr Res 345:1781-801. 2010..The calculated average values of the glycosidic torsional angles agree well with the available experimental data, providing validation for the force-field and simulation methodology employed...
- Effects of glycosylation on peptide conformation: a synergistic experimental and computational studyCarlos J Bosques
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:8421-5. 2004..The value of computational approaches for probing the influence of attached saccharides on polypeptide conformation is highlighted...
- Molecular organization of the alkali-insoluble fraction of Aspergillus fumigatus cell wallT Fontaine
Laboratoire des Aspergillus, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Biol Chem 275:27594-607. 2000..The data obtained suggested that the branching of beta-1,3-glucan is an early event in the construction of the cell wall, resulting in an increase of potential acceptor sites for chitin, galactomannan, and the linear beta-1,3/1,4-glucan...
- Conformational analysis of a flexible oligosaccharide using residual dipolar couplingsF Tian
Contribution from the Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, The University of Georgia, 220 Riverbend Rd, Athens, Georgia 30602-4712, USA
J Am Chem Soc 123:485-92. 2001..Compared with traditional NMR methods, data acquisition is easy and data analysis is straightforward...
- Bacterial lipopolysaccharides and innate immunityC Alexander
Department of Immunochemistry and Biochemical Microbiology, Centre of Medicine and Bio-Sciences, Borstel, Germany
J Endotoxin Res 7:167-202. 2001....
- Predicting the molecular shape of polysaccharides from dynamic interactions with waterAndrew Almond
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU United Kingdom
Glycobiology 13:255-64. 2003..Therefore an intriguing correlation between chemical composition, water organization, polymer properties, and biological function is proposed...
- Analysis of the human seminal plasma glycome reveals the presence of immunomodulatory carbohydrate functional groupsPoh Choo Pang
Division of Molecular Biosciences, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Imperial College London, SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
J Proteome Res 8:4906-15. 2009..In summary, the glycosylation profile of seminal plasma glycoproteins is consistent with the modulation of the adaptive but not the innate arm of the human immune response...
- Ovarian cancer is associated with changes in glycosylation in both acute-phase proteins and IgGRadka Saldova
Department of Biochemistry, Oxford Glycobiology Institute, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Glycobiology 17:1344-56. 2007....
- Towards understanding the interaction between oligosaccharides and water moleculesAndrew Almond
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, United Kingdom
Carbohydr Res 340:907-20. 2005..These results provide further tentative ties between chemical structure, water interactions, and the emergent form and function of specific sugars and linkages in oligosaccharides...
- The glycosylation of human serum IgD and IgE and the accessibility of identified oligomannose structures for interaction with mannan-binding lectinJames N Arnold
Medical Research Council MRC Immunochemistry Unit and Oxford Glycobiology Institute, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
J Immunol 173:6831-40. 2004..This is the first study of the glycosylation of human serum IgD and IgE from nonmyeloma proteins...
- Structure of the exopolysaccharide produced by Streptococcus thermophilus S3E J Faber
Department of Bio-Organic Chemistry, Bijvoet Center, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Carbohydr Res 331:173-82. 2001....
- Control of glycoprotein synthesis. Kinetic mechanism, substrate specificity, and inhibition characteristics of UDP-N-acetylglucosamine:alpha-D-mannoside beta 1-2 N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase II from rat liverB Bendiak
J Biol Chem 262:5784-90. 1987....
- Structure of bacterial lipopolysaccharidesMartine Caroff
Equipe Endotoxines, UMR 8619 du Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, IBBMC, Universite de Paris Sud, F 91405 Orsay, France
Carbohydr Res 338:2431-47. 2003....
- Conformation of a trimannoside bound to mannose-binding protein by nuclear magnetic resonance and molecular dynamics simulationsEric W Sayers
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Biophys J 82:2683-99. 2002..These estimates further suggest that the enthalpic gains of the additional sugar-MBP interactions in a trisaccharide as opposed to a monosaccharide are offset by entropic penalties, offering an explanation for previous binding data...
- Building up key segments of N-glycans in the gas phase: intrinsic structural preferences of the alpha(1,3) and alpha(1,6) dimannosidesPierre Çarçabal
Physical and Theoretical Chemistry Laboratory, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QZ, United Kingdom
J Am Chem Soc 128:1976-81. 2006..This introduces a general concept of modularity and secondary structure in oligosaccharides--essential for the success of similar studies on larger oligosaccharides in the future...
- GlycoMapsDB: a database of the accessible conformational space of glycosidic linkagesM Frank
German Cancer Research Center, Spectroscopic Department B090 Molecular Modeling Group, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 35:287-90. 2007..The service is available at www.glycosciences.de/modeling/glycomapsdb/...
- Structural glycobiology: a game of snakes and laddersMari L DeMarco
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 30602 4712, USA
Glycobiology 18:426-40. 2008....
- Quantitative conformational analysis of the core region of N-glycans using residual dipolar couplings, aqueous molecular dynamics, and steric alignmentA Almond
Carlsberg Laboratory, Valby, Denmark
J Biomol NMR 20:351-63. 2001....
- Purification and cDNA cloning of porcine brain GDP-L-Fuc:N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminide alpha1-->6fucosyltransferaseN Uozumi
Department of Biochemistry, Osaka University Medical School, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565, Japan
J Biol Chem 271:27810-7. 1996..No sequence homology was found with other previously cloned fucosyltransferases, but the enzyme appears to be a type II transmembrane protein like the other glycosyltransferases...
- Elucidation of O-glycosylation structures of the beta-amyloid precursor protein by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry using electron transfer dissociation and collision induced dissociationIrina Perdivara
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Proteome Res 8:631-42. 2009..Thus, the combination of the CID and ETD techniques in LC-MS is shown here, as a powerful tool for de novo identification of O-glycosylations at unknown modification sites in proteins...
- Quantification of binding affinities of essential sugars with a tryptophan analogue and the ubiquitous role of C-H···π interactionsManju Kumari
Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400076, India
Phys Chem Chem Phys 13:6517-30. 2011....
- Development of an annotated library of neutral human milk oligosaccharidesShuai Wu
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Proteome Res 9:4138-51. 2010..A library with 45 neutral OS structures has been constructed. The structures include information regarding the epitopes such as Lewis type, as well as information regarding the secretor status...
- The fucose-binding lectin from Ralstonia solanacearum. A new type of beta-propeller architecture formed by oligomerization and interacting with fucoside, fucosyllactose, and plant xyloglucanNikola Kostlánová
National Centre for Biomolecular Research and Department of Biochemistry, Masaryk University, Brno 611 37, Czech Republic
J Biol Chem 280:27839-49. 2005..Crystals were also obtained for a mutated lectin complexed with a fragment of xyloglucan, a fucosylated polysaccharide from the primary cell wall of plants, which may be the biological target of the lectin...
- Annotation of a serum N-glycan library for rapid identification of structuresDanielle Aldredge
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Davis, California 95616, United States
J Proteome Res 11:1958-68. 2012..This database is steadily growing and will be used to rapidly identify glycans in unknown biological samples...
- Highly polar carbohydrates stack onto DNA duplexes via CH/π interactionsRicardo Lucas
Department of Bioorganic Chemistry, Instituto de Investigaciones Químicas, CSIC Universidad de Sevilla, Americo Vespucio, 49, 41092 Sevilla, Spain
J Am Chem Soc 133:1909-16. 2011..These results reveal carbohydrate-DNA base stacking as a potential recognition motif to be used in drug design, supramolecular chemistry, or biobased nanomaterials...
- Why structurally different cyclic peptides can be glycomimetics of the HNK-1 carbohydrate antigenAnirban Bhunia
Institut für Biochemie und Endokrinologie, Veterinrmedizinische Fakultät, Justus Liebig Universitat Giessen, Frankfurter Str 100, 35392 Giessen, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 132:96-105. 2010....
- Immune response to Thomsen-Friedenreich disaccharide and glycan engineeringFernando J Irazoqui
CIQUIBIC CONICET Department of Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Chemical Sciences, National University of Cordoba, Ciudad Universitaria, Cordoba, Argentina
Immunol Cell Biol 83:405-12. 2005..We propose the term 'glycan engineering' for this approach. Such engineering of TFD should reduce the flexibility of its glycan moiety and thereby enhance its stability, rigidity and immunogenicity...
- Stage-specific embryonic antigens (SSEA-3 and -4) are epitopes of a unique globo-series ganglioside isolated from human teratocarcinoma cellsR Kannagi
EMBO J 2:2355-61. 1983..This antigenic conversion suggests that a shift of glycolipid synthesis from globo-series to lacto-series glycolipids occurs during differentiation of human teratocarcinoma and perhaps of pre-implantation mouse embryos...
- Structure and conformation of complex carbohydrates of glycoproteins, glycolipids, and bacterial polysaccharidesC A Bush
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland, Baltimore 21250, USA
Annu Rev Biophys Biomol Struct 28:269-93. 1999....
- Hydroxymethyl group conformation in saccharides: structural dependencies of (2)J(HH), (3)J(HH), and (1)J(CH) spin-spin coupling constantsRoland Stenutz
Department of Chemistry, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7015, SE 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
J Org Chem 67:949-58. 2002..New equations pertaining to (2)J(HH) and (3)J(HH) have been applied to the analysis of hydroxymethyl group J-couplings in several mono- and oligosaccharides, yielding information on C5-C6 and/or C6-O6 rotamer populations...
- Multiple modes of binding enhance the affinity of DC-SIGN for high mannose N-linked glycans found on viral glycoproteinsHadar Feinberg
Departments of Structural Biology and Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Biol Chem 282:4202-9. 2007....
- Proteoglycomics: recent progress and future challengesMellisa Ly
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York, USA
OMICS 14:389-99. 2010..Unique challenges in the characterization of glycosaminoglycan component of proteoglycans are discussed, with emphasis on the many analytical tools used and the types of information they provide...
- B3LYP/6-311++G** study of alpha- and beta-D-glucopyranose and 1,5-anhydro-D-glucitol: 4C1 and 1C4 chairs, (3,O)B and B(3,O) boats, and skew-boat conformationsM Appell
Plant Polymer Research, USDA, ARS, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, 1815 N University St, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
Carbohydr Res 339:537-51. 2004..Other boat and skew-boat forms are described. The beta-anomer boats retained their starting conformations, with the exception of the beta-tg-(3,O)B boat that moved to a skew form upon optimization...
- Pyranose ring transition state is derived from cellobiohydrolase I induced conformational stability and glycosidic bond polarizationChristopher B Barnett
Scientific Computing Research Unit and Department of Chemistry, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch 7701, South Africa
J Am Chem Soc 132:12800-3. 2010..Furthermore, for the (4)H(3) conformation in the catalytic binding domain, there is significant electronic rearrangement that drives the structure toward the transition state of the glycosylation reaction...
- Calorimetric analysis of the binding of lectins with overlapping carbohydrate-binding ligand specificitiesM C Chervenak
Department of Chemistry, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0346, USA
Biochemistry 34:5685-95. 1995..Our studies clearly demonstrate that, despite their common affinity for the mannose trisaccharide, the three lectins bind oligosaccharides very differently...
- Interfering with the sugar code: design and synthesis of oligosaccharide mimicsAnna Bernardi
Dipartimento di Chimica Organica e Industriale, Universita degli Studi di Milano, via Venezian 21, Milan, Italy
Chemistry 14:7434-41. 2008..Attempts to design and prepare glycomimetic inhibitors of well-known target lectins (cholera toxin, DC-SIGN) are reviewed in this concept paper...
- Glycan flexibility: insights into nanosecond dynamics from a microsecond molecular dynamics simulation explaining an unusual nuclear Overhauser effectJens Landström
Department of Organic Chemistry, Arrhenius Laboratory, Stockholm University, S 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Carbohydr Res 345:330-3. 2010..The results obtained from the MD simulation underscore the predictive power of molecular simulations in studies of biomolecular systems and also explain an unusual nuclear Overhauser effect originating from conformational exchange...
- NMR and molecular modeling reveal key structural features of synthetic nodulation factorsMaria A Morando
Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
Glycobiology 21:824-33. 2011..Collected structural data could be used in the future to rationalize and understand their biological activity and affinity toward a putative receptor...
- Optimization of virulence functions through glucosylation of Shigella LPSNicholas P West
Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Department of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Flowers Building, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Science 307:1313-7. 2005..Thus, LPS glucosylation promotes bacterial invasion and evasion of innate immunity, which may have contributed to the emergence of serotype diversity in Shigella...
- Discovery and characterization of sialic acid O-acetylation in group B StreptococcusAmanda L Lewis
Division of Biological Sciences, Glycobiology Research and Training Center, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0687, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:11123-8. 2004..Thus, our discovery has important implications for GBS pathogenicity, immunogenicity, and vaccine design...
- Analysis and validation of carbohydrate three-dimensional structuresThomas Lütteke
Bijvoet Centre for Biomolecular Research, BOC2, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr 65:156-68. 2009....
- Neutral N-glycan patterns of the gastropods Limax maximus, Cepaea hortensis, Planorbarius corneus, Arianta arbustorum and Achatina fulicaMartin Gutternigg
Department of Chemistry, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences Vienna, Muthgasse 18, 1190 Vienna, Austria
Glycoconj J 24:475-89. 2007..The detailed knowledge of this very complex glycosylation system of the gastropods will be a valuable tool to understand the principle rules of glycosylation in all organisms...
- Binding properties of a mannose-specific lectin from the snowdrop (Galanthus nivalis) bulbN Shibuya
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109
J Biol Chem 263:728-34. 1988..Glycopeptides which carry Man(alpha 1-3)Man units were retarded on the immobilized GNA column whereas those lacking this unit or with hybrid type glycan chains were not retarded on the column...
- Heparin and heparan sulfate: structure and functionDallas L Rabenstein
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Riverside 92521, USA
Nat Prod Rep 19:312-31. 2002..The literature up to August 2001 is reviewed, and 208 references are cited...
- N-linked glycosylation in Campylobacter jejuni and its functional transfer into E. coliMichael Wacker
Institute of Microbiology, Department of Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Science 298:1790-3. 2002..coli opens up the possibility of engineering permutations of recombinant glycan structures for research and industrial applications...
- Schistosoma mansoni-infected mice produce antibodies that cross-react with plant, insect, and mammalian glycoproteins and recognize the truncated biantennaryN-glycan Man3GlcNAc2-RAlexandra van Remoortere
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Glycoimmunology Group, VU University Medical Center, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Glycobiology 13:217-25. 2003..Nevertheless, no elevated antibody levels against this glycan epitope could be detected in sera of individuals infected with Schistosoma mansoni...
- Gangliosides with O-acetylated sialic acids in tumors of neuroectodermal originGuido Kohla
Biochemisches Institut, Christian Albrechts Universitat zu Kiel, Germany
Neurochem Res 27:583-92. 2002....
- Interactions of hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor with various glycosaminoglycans reveal an important interplay between the presence of iduronate and sulfate densityKrista R Catlow
Cancer Research UK Glyco Oncology Group, School of Cancer and Imaging Sciences, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 283:5235-48. 2008....
- Biosynthesis of truncated N-linked oligosaccharides results from non-orthologous hexosaminidase-mediated mechanisms in nematodes, plants, and insectsMartin Gutternigg
Department für Chemie, Universität für Bodenkultur, Muthgasse 18, Wien A 1190, Austria
J Biol Chem 282:27825-40. 2007..Based on these data, it is hypothesized that the genetic origin of paucimannosidic glycans in nematodes, plants, and insects involves highly divergent members of the same hexosaminidase gene family...
- High-yielding and controlled dissociation of glycosides producing B- and C-ion species under collision-induced dissociation MS/MS conditions and use in structural determinationKatsuhiko Suzuki
Mitsubishi Kagaku Institute of Life Sciences MITILS, 11 Minamiooya, Machida shi, Tokyo 194 8511, Japan
Anal Chem 79:9022-9. 2007....
- Relationship between structure and three-bond proton-proton coupling constants in glycosaminoglycansM Hricovini
Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences, 845 38 Bratislava, Slovakia
Carbohydr Res 342:779-83. 2007..The population of conformers in heparin and other biologically active GAGs has also been estimated using the computed coupling constants...
- Hyaluronan chain conformation and dynamicsSara Furlan
Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Macromolecular Chemistry, UdR INSTM, University of Trieste, I 34127 Trieste, Italy
Carbohydr Res 340:959-70. 2005..Topological features and dimensional properties are related to the structural determinants by using classical computational methods of molecular mechanics and Monte Carlo simulation...
- Glycoconjugate Data Bank: Structures--an annotated glycan structure database and N-glycan primary structure verification serviceTaku Nakahara
Laboratory of Advanced Chemical Biology, Graduate School of Advanced Life Science, Frontier Research Center for the Post Genomic Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 36:D368-71. 2008..The results of getCARBO are stored and presented in GDB:Structures...
- Isomer and glycomer complexities of core GlcNAcs in Caenorhabditis elegansAndrew J Hanneman
Department of Chemistry, Center for Structural Biology, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 03824, USA
Glycobiology 16:874-90. 2006..All CCM structures, including multiple isomers, were determined without chromatography by gas-phase disassembly (MS(n)) in Paul and linear ion trap (IT) instruments...
- CD1d-lipid-antigen recognition by the semi-invariant NKT T-cell receptorNatalie A Borg
The Protein Crystallography Unit, ARC Centre of Excellence in Structural and Functional Microbial Genomics, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Biomedical Sciences, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3800, Australia
Nature 448:44-9. 2007..These findings provide direct insight into how a T-cell receptor recognizes a lipid-antigen-presenting molecule of the immune system...
- SWEET-DB: an attempt to create annotated data collections for carbohydratesAlexander Loss
University Hildesheim, Institute of Physics and Technical Informatics, Marienburger Platz 22, 31141 Hildesheim, Germany
Nucleic Acids Res 30:405-8. 2002..A detailed online tutorial is available at http://www.dkfz.de/spec2/sweetdb/nar/...
- Modelling of beta-D-glucopyranose ring distortion in different force fields: a metadynamics studyVojtech Spiwok
Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, Institute of Chemical Technology Prague, Technicka 3, Prague, Czech Republic
Carbohydr Res 345:530-7. 2010..Comparison of free and potential surfaces is also provided for vacuum calculations...
- Specific band observed in VCD predicts the anomeric configuration of carbohydratesKenji Monde
Division of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Frontier Research Center for Post Genomic Science and Technology, Hokkaido University, Kita ku, Sapporo 001 0021, Japan
J Am Chem Soc 126:9496-7. 2004..As applications of this band, the VCD studies of the maltose-cellobiose mixture and the monitoring of the amyloglucosidase reaction were examined...
- Glycomic analysis of N-linked carbohydrate epitopes from CD24 of mouse brainChristina Bleckmann
Institute of Biochemistry, University of Giessen, Friedrichstrasse 24, D 35392 Giessen, Germany
J Proteome Res 8:567-82. 2009....
- Energy-resolved structural details obtained from gangliosidesYuki Shioiri
Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4529 Nagatsuta cho, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 0018, Japan
Anal Chem 81:139-45. 2009..It was suggested that this information will be useful in determining the structures of their precursor gangliosides...
- Conformation of heparin pentasaccharide bound to antithrombin IIIM Hricovini
Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 842 38 Bratislava, Slovakia
Biochem J 359:265-72. 2001..Evidence is also provided that the protein drives the conformation of the 2-O-sulphated iduronic acid residue towards the skewed (2)S(0) form...
- Hyaluronan: the local solution conformation determined by NMR and computer modeling is close to a contracted left-handed 4-fold helixAndrew Almond
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, Princess Street, Manchester, M1 7ND, UK
J Mol Biol 358:1256-69. 2006..This representation can be used as a basis for modeling the association between HA and proteins, which will elucidate important aspects of extracellular matrix assembly...
- Tracking alignment from the moment of inertia tensor (TRAMITE) of biomolecules in neutral dilute liquid crystal solutionsHugo F Azurmendi
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
J Am Chem Soc 124:2426-7. 2002..Examples on proteins and oligosaccharides are presented which cover a wide range of sizes and shapes, along with a scheme for the application of the method to the analysis of flexible molecules...
- Conformation of the hexasaccharide repeating subunit from the Vibrio cholerae O139 capsular polysaccharideJacob Adeyeye
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, Maryland 21250, USA
Biochemistry 42:3979-88. 2003..cholerae strain, is not a "conformational epitope" requiring a certain critical size for antigenicity as has been reported for several other bacterial capsular antigens...
- Conformational transitions induced in heparin octasaccharides by binding with antithrombin IIIMarco Guerrini
G Ronzoni Institute for Chemical and Biochemical Research, Via G Colombo 81, 20133 Milan, Italy
Biochem J 399:191-8. 2006..Thus, for each AT binding sequence longer than AGA*IA, the interactions with the protein could differ and give to each heparin fragment a specific biological response...
- CD1-restricted T cell recognition of microbial lipoglycan antigensP A Sieling
Division of Dermatology, University of California at Los Angeles UCLA School of Medicine 90095, USA
Science 269:227-30. 1995..T cells activated by LAM produced interferon gamma and were cytolytic. Thus, an important class of microbial molecules, the lipoglycans, is a part of the universe of foreign antigens recognized by human T cells...
- B3LYP/6-311++G** study of structure and spin-spin coupling constant in methyl 2-O-sulfo-alpha-L-iduronateMilos Hricovini
Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences, 845 38 Bratislava, Slovakia
Carbohydr Res 341:2575-80. 2006..The influence of the charged groups upon the magnitudes of spin-spin coupling constants is also discussed...
- Complete assignment of hyaluronan oligosaccharides up to hexasaccharidesCharles D Blundell
Faculty of Life Sciences, Manchester Interdisciplinary Biocentre, University of Manchester, Princess Street, Manchester M1 7DN, UK
Carbohydr Res 341:2803-15. 2006..These assignments now allow resolved, unambiguous structural restraints to be acquired on this oligosaccharide and extrapolated to models for the solution conformation of the polymer...
- SOLUBLE RECEPTOR ANALOGS TO INHIBIT VEROTOXIN BINDINGClifford Lingwood; Fiscal Year: 1999..Our studies indicate that this is due to an effect on the relative lipid/carbohydrate conformation. We have designed a new synthetic strategy to make soluble glycolipid mimics in which the lipid moiety ..
- Surgical Adhesions: Role of T cells in PathogenesisArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- TEACHING BIOLOGY THROUGH IMMUNOLOGY FELLOWSHIPSArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, we will also survey each teacher and school district previously in the program in order to determine the effect of the program on science education and student career choices. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Thermo Electron LTQ Mass SpectrometerJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2006..The salary for the instrument operator will be provided by the Dean of BU School of Medicine. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Glycosaminoglycan-Protein BindingJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF AZADIRACHTINK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed work is expected to impact the general areas of pharmaceutical and agricultural research, and infectious diseases in particular, through discoveries in synthetic organic chemistry and chemical biology. ..
- FASEB Summer Conference on Microbial PolysaccharidesArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2004..This meeting will provide a unique environment for scientific exchange between a diverse group of investigators in the area of microbial polysaccharides. ..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF NATURAL PRODUCTSK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2002..3] sigmatropic rearrangement and a radical based ring closure to form the bicyclic skeleton. ..
- Host Response in S. aureus Infections: Role of T cellsArthur Tzianabos; Fiscal Year: 2006..aureus infections. This information may reveal new strategies for the prevention or treatment of S. aureus infections through immunomodulation of the host response to this organism. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF ANTICANCER AGENTSK C Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Enabling Technologies for Combinatorial ChemistryK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- TOTAL SYNTHESIS OF APOPTOLIDINK Nicolaou; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed work is expected to have significant impact in the area of cancer chemotherapy and should provide enabling technologies and tools for biology and medicine. ..
- Structure & Biology of Hematopoietic E-/L-SelectinRobert Sackstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information will contribute greatly to our understanding of the adhesive systems that regulate steady-state and pathologic hematopoiesis, as well as hematopoietic recovery following stem cell transplantation. ..
- Protective anti-LPS antibodies: what are they?William Wade; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will clarify the "type" of anti-V. cholerae LPS antibodies that are protective and thus substantiate or not the use of Inaba neoconjugates as a vaccine component. ..
- Evaluation of Anti-endotoxin Vaccine for Human UseAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2006..If successful, these studies will lead to phase II and Ill studies for the prevention and treatment of sepsis. ..
- Early events during infection with anthraxAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- GLUCAN BINDING PROTEINS OF ORAL STREPTOCOCCIJeffrey Banas; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Rapid Diagnostics for Category B EnteropathogensWilliam Petri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Successful completion of these studies will yield high throughput diagnostic tests that target multiple enteropathogens simultaneously in a single sample. ..
- TRYPTOPHAN METABOLISM IN MOSQUITOESJianyong Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..Because both KAT and HKT are critical during mosquito development, they could be potential targets for future mosquito controls. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Salivary Amylase: Role in Dental Caries PathogenesisNarayanan Ramasubbu; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we are excited that our approach in dissecting the contribution of amylase to foster the colonization of S. mutans may serve as a model to study the role of other salivary proteins in the oral cavity. ..
- Remodeling of the M. tuberculosis cell wall during infectionDAVID BRANCH MOODY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Identification of the genes, enzymes and cell wall lipids that mediate adaptation to growth in tissues provides the information necessary to achieve this goal. ..
- MASS SPECTRAL SEQUENCING OF CARBOHYDRATESVernon Reinhold; Fiscal Year: 2009..elegans. ..
- GLYCOSIDASES AS RELATED TO SPHINGOLIPIDOSESYu Teh Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our ultimate goal is to produce recombinant enzymes and make these biomedically useful glycosidases available to investigators in various fields. ..
- The Effect of Alcohol on NADPH oxidase structure in pancreatic stellate cellsKym Faull; Fiscal Year: 2008..Successful completion of the experiments described in this proposal are essential for the development of targeted therapeutic agents for treatment of alcohol related pancreatitis. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Characterization of A Novel 65kDa E-selectin Ligand on G-CSF Mobilized LeukocytesRobert Sackstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is anticipated that the results obtained will lead to new approaches for preventing or alleviating G-CSF-induced vascular and inflammatory complications [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LIPID A MODIFICATION SYSTEMS IN GRAM-NEGATIVE BACTERIACHRISTIAN RAETZ; Fiscal Year: 2008..leguminosarum lipid A; and IV) i characterization of enzymes that incorporate the unique inner core sugars of/?, leguminosarum LPS. ..
- Therapeutic Inhibitors of Phosphomannose IsomeraseHudson Freeze; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENE EXPRESSION IN ENTAMOEBA HISTOLYTICAWilliam Petri; Fiscal Year: 2008..Successful completion of these studies will provide insight into transcription regulation of virulence factors by the novel mechanism of direct calcium control of an EF-hand containing transcription factor. ..
- Novel Ribostamycins and SAR Study of Ring III AminosugarCheng Wei Chang; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 2nd Annual Glycoconjugate Analysis WorkshopVernon Reinhold; Fiscal Year: 2007..This second workshop will precede the Carbohydrate Gordon Conference held in Tilton, NH a few miles north of the University of New Hampshire. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic Regulation of Glycan Antigens in Cancer CellsRichard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies should provide novel information about the factors regulating mucin glycosylation and expression of tumor-associated antigens. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Basis of Post-Fontan Protein Losing EnteropathyHudson Freeze; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results could provide a fundamental understanding of how PLE develops, identify Fontan patients genetically at risk for developing PLE, and provide insights to new therapeutics for this enigmatic rare disease. ..
- Novel Carboxylated Glycans in Cell AdhesionHudson Freeze; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- PURCHASE OF MASS SPECTROMETRIC INSTRUMENTATIONKym Faull; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition to the role it plays in these research programs, the facility handles numerous routine LDMS analyses, further substantiating the importance of this new instrument to this campus. ..
- VIBRIO CHOLERAE TCP AND LPS SUBUNIT VACCINE, EPITOPES ANWilliam Wade; Fiscal Year: 2004..cholerae colonization factor and a protective antigen. Together, the expertise of these two research groups will provide a unique opportunity to develop and evaluate V: cholerae subunit vaccines using new approaches. ..
- HIV and Neutrophil Function in Oral DiseaseLarry Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2003..As such, the results may provide an additional target to enhance innate immunity within the oral cavity and also to decrease the vertical transmission of HIV in breast milk. ..
- CENTER FOR STRUCTURAL BIOLOGYVernon Reinhold; Fiscal Year: 2003..Directed and guided by experienced hands in K-12 through graduate science teaching (Hopkins, Bauer, resp.,), this component of our Program may be the most compelling and long lasting. ..
- TOPICAL RETINOIDS FOR DIABETIC FOOT ULCERSJames Varani; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Tyoloindicines--Potent Antitumor CompoundsDavid Baker; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- ADHESION MOLECULES MEDIATING SKIN TROPISM IN ACUTE GVHDRobert Sackstein; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- SIALIC ACID MODULATION REGULATES NEUTROPHIL DIAPEDESISAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will define a new mechanism for a rapidly adaptable, temporally- restricted local response to inflammation. This proposal will provide new targets and additional approaches to the treatment of inflammation. ..
- PHybrid Quadrupole/Orthogonal Time-of-Flight Mass SpecKym Faull; Fiscal Year: 2002..Reflecting this diversity of use, descriptions of the research of the major users of the instrument are provided...
- CHEMISTRY OF THE POLYSACCHARIDE OF V CHOLERAE 0139C Bush; Fiscal Year: 2001..Oligosaccharide fragments will test the hypothesis of a conformational epitope that depends on molecular size. The oligosaccharides are to be used in development of chemically modified protein conjugates for vaccine development. ..
- SQUAMOUS EPITHELIAL CELL INVASION IN ORGAN CULTUREJames Varani; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- MANNOSE IN MAMMALIAN GLYCOPROTEIN SYNTHESISHudson Freeze; Fiscal Year: 2001..In some cases, mannose may be a therapeutic dietary supplement. A mannose supplementation trial for CDGS patients is now underway. ..
- PURCHASE OF MASS SPECTROMETRIC INSTRUMENTATIONKym Faull; Fiscal Year: 2004..Descriptions of the research of the seven major users of the instrument are provided. ..
- Modulators of T Antigen-Mediated Chaperone ActionJEFFREY BRODSKY; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Structure/Function of the Selectin Ligand PSGL-1Richard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2005..Such an understanding will directly contribute to the control and treatment of inflammatory diseases and should have broad implications for other types of glycobiological interactions. ..
- Expression of TRPV1 and variant TRPV1 in the kidneyDavid Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, such a reagent might have potential therapeutic utility with respect to this important pathway mediating nociception. ..
- Biochemistry of Chorion Hardening in MosquitoesJianyong Li; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Arrowsmith Data Mining Techniques in Neuro-InformaticsNEIL SMALHEISER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Because of the generality of the Arrowsmith approach, it may be applied to a wide range of biomedical problems and, indeed, to conduct searches within or across any databases that contain textual material. ..
- Bacillus anthracis cell surface carbohydratesRussell Carlson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Russell Carlson at the Complex Carbohydrate Research Center at the University of Georgia, Dr. David Stephens at Emory University, and Dr. Conrad Quinn at the Centers for Disease Control. ..
- Mechanisms of MMP-3 Action in Acute Lung InjuryJames Varani; Fiscal Year: 2005..These studies will provide an overall understanding of the mechanism(s) by which MMP-3 contributes to acute lung injury. ..
- INTERFERON Y MEDIATES ANTI E COLI DEFENSES AND SEPSISAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2001..The demonstration of a spectrum of responses to LPS in these studies may identify the earliest changes in cytokine responses that predict the development of sepsis. ..
- Novel High-throghput Assay:Angiogenesis Inhibitors (RMI)Sunil David; Fiscal Year: 2004..Promising compounds will be examined in greater detail with respect to details of the physical interactions with heparin. Further biological activity will be ascertained in chicken chorioallantoic membrane assays. ..
- Role of Sialidase in Pulmonary Host Defenses and Acute Lung InjuryAlan Cross; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since inhibitors of sialidase are commercially available, these studies will provide the experimental rationale for testing a new therapeutic approach to the treatment of lung injury. ..
- Gordon Research Conference on Glycobiology 2003Richard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Immunity of Schistosome GlycoconjugatesRichard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will provide important new insights into the immune responses to glycan antigens in parasitic infections and test the potential of glycan-protein conjugates as vaccine candidates for parasitic helminths. ..
- DEVELOPMENT GLYCOBIOLOGY OF CAENORHABDITIS ELEGANSRichard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since C. elegans and vertebrates express many similar glycosyltransferases, these studies may also provide important insights into glycan function in vertebrate development, differentiation and acquisition of the malignant phenotype. ..
- Novel Leads for the Therapy of Gram-Positive SepsisSunil David; Fiscal Year: 2004..This is to demonstrate that inhibition of cytokine release, if observed, is attributable to the blockade of the cellular recognition of lipoteichoic acid. ..
- Gram-Negative Sepsis: Pharmacophore-Based TherapeuticsSunil David; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- 'Immunity of Schistosome Glycoconjugates'Richard Cummings; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- BioMEMS Materials for Renal Tissue EngineeringWILLIAM FISSELL; Fiscal Year: 2004..Failure of RPTCs to grow on these substrates despite a variety of suface modifications would be extremely important, as it would indicate a need for new materials in bioengineering. ..
- Rapid protein crystallization by surface mutagenesisZygmunt Derewenda; Fiscal Year: 2004..Funds are requested to further test the general applicability and success rate of this method, and to apply the method to a subset of targets selected for the Structural Genomic Initiative. ..
- BioMEMS Model of Glomerular FunctionWILLIAM FISSELL; Fiscal Year: 2008..Third, HP and s will be measured for the NM-PBM membrane. Fourth, data from (1-3) will be compared with existing predictive models of glomerular function. ..
- Mathematical model relating gene expression to glycoform structureFREDERICK KRAMBECK; Fiscal Year: 2008..The system would be made available to the public as a commercial software package. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Preparing high resolution membrane protein crystalsZygmunt Derewenda; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..