Genomes and Genes
Summary: The condensation of gases, liquids, or dissolved substances on the surfaces of solids. It includes adsorptive phenomena of bacteria and viruses as well as of tissues treated with exogenous drugs and chemicals.
Publications382 found, 100 shown here
- Enzymatic digestion of chronic wasting disease prions bound to soilSamuel E Saunders
Department of Civil Engineering, Peter Kiewit Institute, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Omaha, Nebraska 68588, USA
Environ Sci Technol 44:4129-35. 2010..Our results also suggest a topical application of a subtilisin enzyme solution may be an effective decontamination method to limit disease transmission via environmental "hot spots" of prion infectivity...
- Nanoparticle size and surface chemistry determine serum protein adsorption and macrophage uptakeCarl D Walkey
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3G9
J Am Chem Soc 134:2139-47. 2012..b>Adsorption of blood components and interactions with phagocytes can modify the size, aggregation state, and interfacial ..
- Understanding the role of surface charges in cellular adsorption versus internalization by selectively removing gold nanoparticles on the cell surface with a I2/KI etchantEun Chul Cho
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63130, USA
Nano Lett 9:1080-4. 2009..In addition, by fitting the uptake data with a kinetic model, we were able to derive the overall and internalization rate constants for Au nanospheres and both of them were found to be governed by the surface charges on Au nanospheres...
- Pseudo-second-order model for lead ion sorption from aqueous solutions onto palm kernel fiberYuh Shan Ho
Department of Environmental Sciences, College of Environmental Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100871, People s Republic of China
J Hazard Mater 129:137-42. 2006..In addition, pseudo-isotherms were also obtained by changing fiber doses using the equilibrium concentration and equilibrium capacity obtained based on the pseudo-second-order constants...
- Short noncontractile tail machines: adsorption and DNA delivery by podovirusesSherwood R Casjens
Pathology Department, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 726:143-79. 2012..Reversible adsorption and irreversible adsorption to primary and secondary receptors are discussed, including how sequence divergence ..
- Understanding protein adsorption phenomena at solid surfacesMichael Rabe
Institute of Physical Chemistry, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Adv Colloid Interface Sci 162:87-106. 2011Protein adsorption at solid surfaces plays a key role in many natural processes and has therefore promoted a widespread interest in many research areas...
- Chemistry of aqueous silica nanoparticle surfaces and the mechanism of selective peptide adsorptionSiddharth V Patwardhan
Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research Centre, School of Science and Technology, Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Lane, Nottingham NG11 8NS, UK
J Am Chem Soc 134:6244-56. 2012..We identified the mechanism of peptide adsorption using binding assays, zeta potential measurements, IR spectra, and molecular simulations of the purified ..
- Protein adsorption and cellular uptake of cerium oxide nanoparticles as a function of zeta potentialSwanand Patil
Advanced Materials Processing and Analysis Center, Department of Mechanical, Materials and Aerospace Engineering, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816, USA
Biomaterials 28:4600-7. 2007..Knowledge of protein adsorption and cellular uptake will be very useful in improving the beneficial effects of cerium oxide nanoparticles in ..
- Review of second-order models for adsorption systemsYuh Shan Ho
School of Public Health, Taipei Medical University, 250 Wu Hsing Street, Taipei 11014, Taiwan
J Hazard Mater 136:681-9. 2006Applications of second-order kinetic models to adsorption systems were reviewed. An overview of second-order kinetic expressions is described in this paper based on the solid adsorption capacity...
- Adsorption mechanisms of organic chemicals on carbon nanotubesBo Pan
Department of Plant, Soil and Insect Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:9005-13. 2008..This review summarizes the research progress of organic chemical adsorption on CNTs, and will provide useful information for CNT application and risk assessment...
- Adsorption of Trichoderma reesei CBH I and EG II and their catalytic domains on steam pretreated softwood and isolated ligninHetti Palonen
VTT Biotechnology, P O Box 1500, FIN 02044 VTT, Espoo, Finland
J Biotechnol 107:65-72. 2004The presence of lignin has shown to play an important role in the enzymatic degradation of softwood. The adsorption of enzymes, and their constituent functional domains on the lignocellulosic material is of key importance to fundamental ..
- Adsorption kinetics of plasma proteins on ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO) nanoparticlesM Jansch
Institute of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmaceutics, Biopharmaceutics and NutriCosmetics, Freie Universitat Berlin, Kelchstr 31, 12169 Berlin, Germany
Int J Pharm 428:125-33. 2012In this study the kinetics of plasma protein adsorption onto ultrasmall superparamagnetic iron oxide (USPIO) particles have been analyzed and compared to previously published kinetic studies on polystyrene particles (PS particles), oil-in-..
- Influence of surface wettability on competitive protein adsorption and initial attachment of osteoblastsJianhua Wei
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Stomatology, Fourth Military Medical University, 145 West Changle Road, Xi an 710032, People s Republic of China
Biomed Mater 4:045002. 2009This study investigated the influence of surface wettability on competitive protein adsorption and the initial attachment of osteoblasts...
- Evaluation of an adsorption-elution method for detection of astrovirus and norovirus in environmental watersMatías Victoria
Laboratory of Comparative Virology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro RJ, Brazil
J Virol Methods 156:73-6. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate an adsorption-elution method with an HA (mixed cellulose esters) negatively charged membrane to determine the best recovery of ..
- Porous materials with optimal adsorption thermodynamics and kinetics for CO2 separationPatrick Nugent
Department of Chemistry, University of South Florida, 4202 East Fowler Avenue, Tampa, Florida 33620, USA
Nature 495:80-4. 2013..These MOMs are therefore relevant to CO2 separation in the context of post-combustion (flue gas, CO2/N2), pre-combustion (shifted synthesis gas stream, CO2/H2) and natural gas upgrading (natural gas clean-up, CO2/CH4)...
- Effects of serum adsorption on cellular uptake profile and consequent impact of titanium dioxide nanoparticles on human lung cell linesRoslyn Tedja
ARC Centre of Excellence for Functional Nanomaterials, School of Chemical Engineering, The University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
ACS Nano 6:4083-93. 2012..The surface adsorbed serum components were found to provide some protection from the cytotoxic effect of endocytosed TiO(2) nanoparticles...
- The bactericidal effect of TiO2 photocatalysis involves adsorption onto catalyst and the loss of membrane integrityGaëtan Gogniat
ENAC Laboratory for Environmental Biotechnology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
FEMS Microbiol Lett 258:18-24. 2006..We found that adsorption of bacteria on the catalyst occurred immediately in NaCl-KCl solution, whereas it was delayed in the sodium ..
- A review on experimental studies of surfactant adsorption at the hydrophilic solid-water interfaceSantanu Paria
Department of Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400076, India
Adv Colloid Interface Sci 110:75-95. 2004The progresses of understanding of the surfactant adsorption at the hydrophilic solid-liquid interface from extensive experimental studies are reviewed here...
- Mediation of biomaterial-cell interactions by adsorbed proteins: a reviewCameron J Wilson
Tissue BioRegeneration Domain, Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, School of Engineering Systems, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Tissue Eng 11:1-18. 2005..generally demonstrate favorable cell responses to charged, hydrophilic surfaces, corresponding to superior adsorption and bioactivity of adhesion proteins...
- Protein adsorption onto silica nanoparticles: conformational changes depend on the particles' curvature and the protein stabilityMartin Lundqvist
Molecular Biotechnology IFM, Linkoping University, SE 58183 Linkoping, Sweden
Langmuir 20:10639-47. 2004We have analyzed the adsorption of protein to the surfaces of silica nanoparticles with diameters of 6, 9, and 15 nm...
- Functional groups on polystyrene model nanoparticles: influence on protein adsorptionAndrea Gessner
Department of Pharmaceutics, Biopharmaceutics and Biotechnology, The Free University of Berlin, D 12169 Berlin, Germany
J Biomed Mater Res A 65:319-26. 2003..surface characteristics of intravenously administered particulate drug carriers decisively influence the protein adsorption that is regarded as a key factor for the in vivo fate of the carriers...
- Toxicity of amorphous silica nanoparticles on eukaryotic cell model is determined by particle agglomeration and serum protein adsorption effectsDaniela Drescher
BAM Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing, Richard Willstätter Str 11, 12489 Berlin, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 400:1367-73. 2011..This result has implications for the evaluation of the cytotoxic potential of silica nanoparticles and possibly also other nanomaterials in standard cell culture...
- Age-dependent degradation of the protein adsorption capacity of titaniumN Hori
Laboratory for Bone and Implant Sciences, The Jane and Jerry Weintraub Center for Reconstructive Biotechnology, Division of Advanced Prosthodontics, Biomaterials and Hospital Dentistry, UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
J Dent Res 88:663-7. 2009Reported bone-implant contact percentages are far below the ideal 100%. We tested a hypothesis that the protein adsorption capability of titanium, which is critical to the process of osseointegration, changes over time before its use...
- Effect of surface roughness of the titanium alloy Ti-6Al-4V on human bone marrow cell response and on protein adsorptionD D Deligianni
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautics, Universihy of Patras, Rion, Greece
Biomaterials 22:1241-51. 2001..Ti-6Al-4V (Ti alloy) on the short- and long-term response of human bone marrow cells in vitro and on protein adsorption was investigated...
- Role of interfacial water on protein adsorption at cross-linked polyethylene oxide interfacesBonnie O Leung
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Langmuir 28:5724-8. 2012..network extending from the bulk PEO film into liquid water, which can provide an energy barrier for protein adsorption. Upon exposure to the protein solution, the SFG spectra of water at the water/PEO interface remained nearly ..
- Azadirachta indica leaf powder as an effective biosorbent for dyes: a case study with aqueous Congo Red solutionsKrishna G Bhattacharyya
Department of Chemistry, Gauhati University, Guwahati 781014, Assam, India
J Environ Manage 71:217-29. 2004..The sorption process was in conformity with Langmuir and Freundlich isotherms yielding values of the adsorption coefficients in the following ranges: Freundlich n: 0.12-0.19, Kf: 0.1039-0.2648 L g(-1); Langmuir qm: 41.24-128...
- Contributions of phosphate to DNA adsorption/desorption behaviors on aminosilane-modified magnetic nanoparticlesTsuyoshi Tanaka
Department of Biotechnology, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, 2 24 16, Naka cho, Koganei, Tokyo 184 8588, Japan
Langmuir 25:2956-61. 2009The adsorption and desorption behaviors of DNA on aminosilane-modified magnetic nanoparticles were investigated by altering both type of anions and solvation state to achieve eficient recovery of DNA useful for subsequent polymerase chain ..
- Biosorption of Pb2+ from aqueous solutions by Moringa oleifera bark: equilibrium and kinetic studiesD Harikishore Kumar Reddy
Analytical and Environmental Chemistry Division, Department of Chemistry, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati 517502, India
J Hazard Mater 174:831-8. 2010..The experimental equilibrium adsorption data were tested by four widely used two-parameter equations, the Langmuir, Freundlich, Dubinin-Radushkevich (D-..
- Removal of chlorophenols using industrial wastesAjay K Jain
Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee, 247 667, India
Environ Sci Technol 38:1195-200. 2004..The adsorption of four phenols (phenol, 2-chlorophenol, 4-chlorophenol, and 2,4-dichlorophenol) on these adsorbents is parallel ..
- Biomaterials: where we have been and where we are goingBuddy D Ratner
Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 6:41-75. 2004..This new generation of biomaterials includes surface modification of materials to overcome nonspecific protein adsorption in vivo, precision immobilization of signaling groups on surfaces, development of synthetic materials with ..
- Mucosal delivery of antigens using adsorption to bacterial sporesJen Min Huang
School of Biological Sciences, Royal Holloway, University of London, Surrey, UK
Vaccine 28:1021-30. 2010..discovered that the negatively charged and hydrophobic surface layer of spores provides a suitable platform for adsorption of protein antigens...
- Adsorption of methylene blue on low-cost adsorbents: a reviewMohd Rafatullah
Division of Bioresource, Paper and Coatings Technology, School of Industrial Technology, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Penang, Malaysia
J Hazard Mater 177:70-80. 2010..b>Adsorption techniques are widely used to remove certain classes of pollutants from waters, especially those which are not ..
- A review on applicability of naturally available adsorbents for the removal of hazardous dyes from aqueous wastePankaj Sharma
Department of Chemistry, Lovely School of Sciences, Lovely Professional University, Phagwara, 144402 Punjab, India
Environ Monit Assess 183:151-95. 2011..available low cast and eco-friendly adsorbents, for the removal of hazardous dyes from aqueous waste by adsorption treatment, has been reviewed...
- Exceptional behavior over the whole adsorption-storage-delivery cycle for NO in porous metal organic frameworksAlistair C McKinlay
EaStCHEM School of Chemistry, University of St Andrews, Purdie Building, St Andrews KY16 9ST, UK
J Am Chem Soc 130:10440-4. 2008..metal organic frameworks (MOFs), [M2(C8H2O6)(H2O)2] x 8 H2O (M = Co, Ni), perform exceptionally well for the adsorption, storage, and water-triggered delivery of the biologically important gas nitric oxide...
- The adsorption properties of Pb(II) and Cd(II) on functionalized graphene prepared by electrolysis methodXiaojiao Deng
Key Laboratory of Polyoxometalates Science of Ministry of Education, College of Chemistry, Northeast Normal University, Changchun 130024, PR China
J Hazard Mater 183:923-30. 2010..Our sample of GNS(PF6) was developed for the removal of Pb(II) or Cd(II) ions from water, and the determined adsorption capacities are 406.6 mg/g (pH=5.1) for Pb(II) and 73.42 mg/g (pH=6...
- A multivalent adsorption apparatus explains the broad host range of phage phi92: a comprehensive genomic and structural analysisDavid Schwarzer
Hannover Medical School MHH, Institute for Cellular Chemistry OE 4330, Hannover, Germany
J Virol 86:10384-98. 2012..report, we provide the first detailed description of a multivalent, multispecies phage armed with a host cell adsorption apparatus resembling a nanosized Swiss army knife...
- Adsorption of tetracycline on single-walled and multi-walled carbon nanotubes as affected by aqueous solution chemistryLiangliang Ji
State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resource Reuse, Nanjing University, Jiangsu 210093, China
Environ Toxicol Chem 29:2713-9. 2010..The present study investigated the influence of aqueous solution chemistry on the adsorption of tetracycline to carbon nanotubes...
- Comparative study of Mg/Al- and Zn/Al-layered double hydroxide-perindopril erbumine nanocomposites for inhibition of angiotensin-converting enzymeSamer Hasan Hussein Al Ali
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 7:4251-62. 2012..5 μg/mL of the PMAE nanocomposite, inhibition of the enzyme increased from 56.6% to 70.6% at 30 and 90 minutes, respectively. These results are comparable with data reported in the literature for Zn/Al-perindopril...
- Real-time quantitative analysis of lipid disordering by aurein 1.2 during membrane adsorption, destabilisation and lysisTzong Hsien Lee
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria 3800, Australia
Biochim Biophys Acta 1798:1977-86. 2010..The molecular events leading sequentially from peptide adsorption to membrane lysis were examined in real time by changes in bilayer birefringence (lipid molecular ordering) as a ..
- Complement activation and protein adsorption by carbon nanotubesCarolina Salvador-Morales
Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford 0X1 3QR, UK
Mol Immunol 43:193-201. 2006..Fibrinogen and apolipoproteins (AI, AIV and CIII) were the proteins that bound to carbon nanotubes in greatest quantity...
- Experimental and kinetic studies on methylene blue adsorption by coir pith carbonD Kavitha
Department of Environmental System Engineering, Hallym University, 1 Okchon Dong, Chuncheon, Gangwon do 200 702, Republic of Korea
Bioresour Technol 98:14-21. 2007..Kinetic study showed that the adsorption of dye on coir pith carbon was a gradual process...
- Adsorption of trace metals to plastic resin pellets in the marine environmentLuke A Holmes
School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Plymouth, Drake Circus, Plymouth PL4 8AA, UK
Environ Pollut 160:42-8. 2012..b>Adsorption isotherms conformed to both the Langmuir and Freundlich equations and adsorption capacities were greater for ..
- The effect of ultraviolet functionalization of titanium on integration with boneHideki Aita
Laboratory for Bone and Implant Sciences, The Jane and Jerry Weintraub Center for Reconstructive Biotechnology, Division of Advanced Prosthodontics, Biomaterials and Hospital Dentistry, UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
Biomaterials 30:1015-25. 2009..proliferation and differentiation of rat bone marrow-derived osteoblasts, as well as the capacity of protein adsorption, by up to threefold...
- Adsorption/desorption phenomena on pure and Teflon AF-coated titania surfaces studied by dynamic contact angle analysisF Rupp
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Medical Materials and Technology, University of Tuebingen, Osianderstrasse 2 8, D 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Biomed Mater Res 62:567-78. 2002..Interfacial reactions change the surface characteristics. They determine the following steps of macromolecular adsorption and bacterial adhesion...
- DNA and polylysine adsorption and multilayer construction onto cationic lipid-coated microbubblesMark A Borden
Biomedical Engineering Department, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Langmuir 23:9401-8. 2007..Microbubble production and stability were robust up to a cationic lipid fraction of 40 mol % in 10 mM NaCl. DNA adsorption was heterogeneous over the microbubble shell and occurred primarily on the condensed phase domains...
- Preparation of hippurate-zinc layered hydroxide nanohybrid and its synergistic effect with tamoxifen on HepG2 cell linesSamer Hasan Hussein Al Ali
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 6:3099-111. 2011..A new simple preparation method for a hippurate-intercalated zinc-layered hydroxide (ZLH) nanohybrid has been established, which does not need an anion-exchange procedure to intercalate the hippurate anion into ZLH interlayers...
- Reversible molecular adsorption based on multiple-point interaction by shrinkable gelsT Oya
Department of Physics and Center for Materials Science and Engineering, Department of Chemistry, George R Harrison Spectroscopy Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 286:1543-5. 1999..monomers that make the gel reversibly swell and shrink and minority monomers that constitute multiple-point adsorption centers for the target molecule...
- Mapping the surface adsorption forces of nanomaterials in biological systemsXin R Xia
Center for Chemical Toxicology Research and Pharmacokinetics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27607, USA
ACS Nano 5:9074-81. 2011The biological surface adsorption index (BSAI) is a novel approach to characterize surface adsorption energy of nanomaterials that is the primary force behind nanoparticle aggregation, protein corona formation, and other complex ..
- Electrochemical sensor for dopamine based on a novel graphene-molecular imprinted polymers composite recognition elementYan Mao
Engineering Laboratory for Modern Analytical Techniques, c o State Key Laboratory of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Changchun Institute of Applied Chemistry, Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun 130022, Jilin, PR China
Biosens Bioelectron 28:291-7. 2011..With regard to the traditional MIPs, the GSCR-MIPs not only possessed a faster desorption and adsorption dynamics, but also exhibited a higher selectivity and binding capacity toward DA molecule...
- Development of antiproliferative nanohybrid compound with controlled release property using ellagic acid as the active agentMohd Zobir Hussein
Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology Laboratory, Institute of Advanced Technology, Selangor, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 6:1373-83. 2011..In vitro bioassay study showed that the EAN has a mild effect on the hepatocytes cells, similar to its counterpart, free EA...
- Multiple aspects of the interaction of biomacromolecules with inorganic surfacesIvana Fenoglio
Dipartimento di Chimica Inorganica, Chimica Fisica e Chimica dei Materiali, University of Torino, Via Pietro Giuria 7, 10125 Torino, Italy
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 63:1186-209. 2011..The adsorption of proteins modulates the formation of biofilms onto surfaces, a process important in infections associated to ..
- Equilibrium and kinetic studies in adsorption of heavy metals using biosorbent: a summary of recent studiesJonathan Febrianto
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, 43 Section 4, Keelung Road, Taipei 10607, Taiwan
J Hazard Mater 162:616-45. 2009Distinctive adsorption equilibria and kinetic models are of extensive use in explaining the biosorption of heavy metals, denoting the need to highlight and summarize their essential issues, which is the main purpose of this paper...
- Artificial neural network (ANN) approach for modeling of Pb(II) adsorption from aqueous solution by Antep pistachio (Pistacia Vera L.) shellsKaan Yetilmezsoy
Department of Environmental Engineering, Yildiz Technical University, 34349 Yildiz, Besiktas, Istanbul, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 153:1288-300. 2008..BP) training combined with principal component analysis (PCA), the ANN model was able to predict adsorption efficiency with a tangent sigmoid transfer function (tansig) at hidden layer with 11 neurons and a linear ..
- Conformational transitions of adsorbed proteins on surfaces of varying polarityGaurav Anand
Howard P Isermann Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering and Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, New York 12180 3590, USA
Langmuir 26:10803-11. 2010Combining a wide range of protein adsorption experiments (three globular proteins on eight well-defined homogeneous surfaces) with Monte Carlo simulations of lattice proteins at different concentrations and on surfaces of varying "..
- Bacteriophage adsorption rate and optimal lysis timeYongping Shao
Department of Biological Sciences, State University of New York, Albany, New York 12222, USA
Genetics 180:471-82. 2008..This adsorption process is usually described by mass-action kinetics, which implicitly assume an equal influence of host density ..
- The influence of protein adsorption on nanoparticle association with cultured endothelial cellsMorton S Ehrenberg
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Rochester, Goergen Hall, Rochester, NY 14627, USA
Biomaterials 30:603-10. 2009..We therefore conclude that cellular association is not dependent on the identity of adsorbed proteins and therefore unlikely to require specific binding to any particular cellular receptors...
- Controlled-release formulation of antihistamine based on cetirizine zinc-layered hydroxide nanocomposites and its effect on histamine release from basophilic leukemia (RBL-2H3) cellsSamer Hasan
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 7:3351-63. 2012..5 ng/mL. The cytotoxicity assay toward Chang liver cells line show the IC₅₀ for CETN and ZLH are 617 and 670 μg/mL, respectively...
- Electrolyte-gated graphene field-effect transistors for detecting pH and protein adsorptionYasuhide Ohno
The Institute of the Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, Ibaraki, Osaka 567 0047, Japan
Nano Lett 9:3318-22. 2009..We also attempted to direct surface-protein adsorption and showed that the conductance of GFETs increased with exposure to a protein at several hundred picomolar...
- Biosorption of cadmium, lead and copper with calcium alginate xerogels and immobilized Fucus vesiculosusY N Mata
Department of Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering, Complutense University of Madrid, Ciudad Universitaria s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Hazard Mater 163:555-62. 2009..F. vesiculosus immobilized in alginate xerogels constitutes an excellent biosorbent for cadmium, lead and copper, sometimes surpassing the biosorption performance of alginate alone and even the free alga...
- Adsorption of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by carbon nanomaterialsKun Yang
Department of Plant, Soil and Insect Sciences, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Environ Sci Technol 40:1855-61. 2006Carbon nanomaterials are novel manufactured materials, having widespread potential applications. Adsorption of hydrophobic organic compounds (HOCs) by carbon nanomaterials may enhance their toxicity and affect the fate, transformation, ..
- Change of zeta potential of biocompatible colloidal oxide particles upon adsorption of bovine serum albumin and lysozymeK Rezwan
Nonmetallic Inorganic Materials, Department Materials, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
J Phys Chem B 109:14469-74. 2005..For the slightly less hydrophilic zirconia particles high amounts of protein adsorption are observed even under repulsive electrostatic conditions...
- The packaging of siRNA within the mesoporous structure of silica nanoparticlesXu Li
Nano Biomedical Research Center, School of Biomedical Engineering and Med X Research Institute, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200030, China
Biomaterials 32:9546-56. 2011..In summary, our siRNA packaging strategy extends the application potential of M-MSNs and the resulting siRNA delivery vehicles can be further tested for in vivo experiments...
- Microbial cell-surface displaySang Yup Lee
Metabolic and Biomolecular Engineering National Research Laboratory, Daejeon, South Korea
Trends Biotechnol 21:45-52. 2003..Microbial cell-surface display has many potential applications, including live vaccine development, peptide library screening, bioconversion using whole cell biocatalyst and bioadsorption...
- Sorption of 243Am(III) to multiwall carbon nanotubesXiangke Wang
Institute of Plasma Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Hefei, People s Republic of China
Environ Sci Technol 39:2856-60. 2005....
- Gene expression and internalization following vector adsorption to immobilized proteins: dependence on protein identity and densityZain Bengali
Department of Interdepartmental Biological Sciences, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan Rd E156, Evanston, IL 60208 3120, USA
J Gene Med 9:668-78. 2007Gene delivery by non-specific adsorption of non-viral vectors to protein-coated surfaces can reduce the amount of DNA required, and also increase transgene expression and the number of cells expressing the transgene...
- Mobility of capped silver nanoparticles under environmentally relevant conditionsBeng Joo Reginald Thio
Bren School of Environmental Science and Management, University of California at Santa Barbara, California 93106, United States
Environ Sci Technol 46:6985-91. 2012..Ag NPs were found to be highly mobile under these environmentally relevant conditions, with little or no deposition...
- Platelet inhibition and endothelial cell adhesion on elastin-like polypeptide surface modified materialsPatrick H Blit
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Biomaterials 32:5790-800. 2011....
- Removal of Pb(II) from aqueous solution by oxidized multiwalled carbon nanotubesDi Xu
Institute of Plasma Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P O Box 1126, 230031 Hefei, China
J Hazard Mater 154:407-16. 2008....
- Influence of surface charge density on protein adsorption on polymeric nanoparticles: analysis by two-dimensional electrophoresisAndrea Gessner
Department of Pharmaceutics, Biopharmaceutics and Biotechnology, The Free University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 54:165-70. 2002Plasma protein adsorption is regarded as a key factor for the in vivo organ distribution of intravenously administered colloidal drug carriers, and strongly depends on their surface characteristics, e.g. surface hydrophobicity or charge...
- Spectroscopic study of extracellular polymeric substances from Bacillus subtilis: aqueous chemistry and adsorption effectsAnselm Omoike
Department of Soil, Water and Environmental Science, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721 0038, USA
Biomacromolecules 5:1219-30. 2004..polymeric substances (EPS) from Bacillus subtilis are found to affect aqueous phase conformation and adsorption to mineral surfaces...
- An index for characterization of nanomaterials in biological systemsXin Rui Xia
Center for Chemical Toxicology Research and Pharmacokinetics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 5:671-5. 2010..Here, we propose a biological surface adsorption index to characterize these interactions by quantifying the competitive adsorption of a set of small molecule ..
- Relationship between the degree of antigen adsorption to aluminum hydroxide adjuvant in interstitial fluid and antibody productionSeema Iyer
Department of Industrial and Physical Pharmacy, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Vaccine 21:1219-23. 2003The effect of the degree of adsorption after exposure to interstitial fluid on the immune response in mice to model vaccines containing ovalbumin, alpha casein or dephosphorylated alpha casein adsorbed to aluminum hydroxide adjuvant was ..
- Domain formation induced by the adsorption of charged proteins on mixed lipid membranesEmmanuel C Mbamala
Junior Research Group Lipid Membranes, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Jena 07743, Germany
Biophys J 88:1702-14. 2005..The adsorption of charged, say basic, proteins onto a membrane containing anionic lipids induces local lipid demixing, whereby ..
- Preparation and characterization of poly(lactic acid)-poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(lactic acid) (PLA-PEG-PLA) microspheres for controlled release of paclitaxelGang Ruan
Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore, 10 Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore 119260, Singapore
Biomaterials 24:5037-44. 2003..PLA-PEG-PLA microspheres could thus be promising for the clinical administration of highly hydrophobic antineoplastic drugs such as paclitaxel...
- Influence of mono- and divalent ions on the formation of supported phospholipid bilayers via vesicle adsorptionBastien Seantier
Chalmers University of Technology, Chemical Physics Group, Applied Physics, Fysikgrand 3, Gothenburg, Sweden
Langmuir 25:5767-72. 2009..This process is known to proceed via initial adsorption of intact vesicles until a critical surface coverage is reached, where the combination of vesicle-surface and ..
- BSA adsorption on differently charged polystyrene nanoparticles using isothermal titration calorimetry and the influence on cellular uptakeGrit Baier
Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Mainz, Germany
Macromol Biosci 11:628-38. 2011BSA adsorption onto negatively and positively charged polystyrene nanoparticles was investigated. The nanoparticles were characterized in terms of particle size, zeta potential, surface group density, and morphology...
- Adsorption of heavy metal ions from aqueous solutions by activated carbon prepared from apricot stoneM Kobya
Department of Environmental Engineering, Gebze Institute of Technology, Turkey
Bioresour Technol 96:1518-21. 2005..carbon to remove Ni(II), Co(II), Cd(II), Cu(II), Pb(II), Cr(III) and Cr(VI) ions from aqueous solutions by adsorption was investigated...
- Effects of solution chemistry and aging time on prion protein adsorption and replication of soil-bound prionsSamuel E Saunders
Department of Civil Engineering, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Peter Kiewit Institute, Omaha, Nebraska, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e18752. 2011..Prions are known to bind to a wide range of soil surfaces, but the effects of adsorption solution chemistry and long-term soil binding on prion fate and transmission risk are unknown...
- Characterization of copper adsorption onto an alginate encapsulated magnetic sorbent by a combined FT-IR, XPS, and mathematical modeling studySoh Fong Lim
Division of Environmental Science and Engineering, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, National University of Singapore, 10 Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore
Environ Sci Technol 42:2551-6. 2008Copper adsorption onto calcium alginate encapsulated magnetic sorbent is studied in this paper. The objective of this study was to qualitatively and quantitatively elucidate the copper binding onto the sorbent...
- Zwitteration as an alternative to PEGylationZaki G Estephan
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida 32306, United States
Langmuir 27:6794-800. 2011..comparison of the efficacy of a zwitterionic versus a poly(ethylene glycol), PEG, coating in preventing protein adsorption to silica and aggregation of silica nanoparticles is presented...
- Nanoparticle-induced surface reconstruction of phospholipid membranesBo Wang
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:18171-5. 2008The nonspecific adsorption of charged nanoparticles onto single-component phospholipid bilayers bearing phosphocholine headgroups is shown, from fluorescence and calorimetry experiments, to cause surface reconstruction at the points where ..
- Adsorption of essential micronutrients by carbon nanotubes and the implications for nanotoxicity testingLin Guo
Division of Engineering Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Small 4:721-7. 2008
- Surface tailoring for controlled protein adsorption: effect of topography at the nanometer scale and chemistryPaul Roach
Division of Chemistry, Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research Centre, School of Biomedical and Natural Sciences, Nottingham Trent University, Clifton, Nottingham, UK
J Am Chem Soc 128:3939-45. 2006Protein adsorption behavior is at the heart of many of today's research fields including biotechnology and materials science...
- Detection of human viruses in rivers of a densly-populated area in Germany using a virus adsorption elution method optimized for PCR analysesIbrahim Ahmed Hamza
Department of Hygiene, Social and Environmental Medicine, Ruhr University Bochum, Federal Republic of Germany
Water Res 43:2657-68. 2009..To determine the viral concentration in rivers of a densely-populated area in Germany, the virus adsorption elution (VIRADEL) method was optimized for downstream PCR applications...
- Polybrene increases retrovirus gene transfer efficiency by enhancing receptor-independent virus adsorption on target cell membranesHoward E Davis
Center for Engineering in Medicine Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and the Shriners Hospital for Children, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Biophys Chem 97:159-72. 2002..We compared the ability of both envelope (gp70) and capsid (p30) protein based assays to quantitate virus adsorption and found that p30 based assays were more reliable due to their ability to distinguish virus binding from free ..
- Cd2+ Toxicity to a green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii as influenced by its adsorption on TiO2 engineered nanoparticlesWei Wan Yang
State Key Laboratory of Pollution Control and Resource Reuse, School of the Environment, Nanjing University, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China
PLoS ONE 7:e32300. 2012In the present study, Cd(2+) adsorption on polyacrylate-coated TiO(2) engineered nanoparticles (TiO(2)-ENs) and its effect on the bioavailability as well as toxicity of Cd(2+) to a green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii were investigated...
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of ordered mesoporous silica as a novel adsorbent in liquisolid formulationBao Chen
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Int J Nanomedicine 7:199-209. 2012..Although nanoparticle silica can be prepared and used to improve liquid adsorption capacity, loading a high dose of drug into a liquisolid is still a challenge...
- Sulfonate-grafted porous polymer networks for preferential CO2 adsorption at low pressureWeigang Lu
Department of Chemistry, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77842, United States
J Am Chem Soc 133:18126-9. 2011..PPN-6-SO(3)H) and its lithium salt (PPN-6-SO(3)Li) exhibit significant increases in isosteric heats of CO(2) adsorption and CO(2)-uptake capacities...
- Advances in SAW gas sensors based on the condensate-adsorption effectJiuling Liu
Institute of Acoustics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, China
Sensors (Basel) 11:11871-84. 2011..with a low detection limit and fast response for volatile organic compounds (VOCs) based on the condensate-adsorption effect detection is developed...
- Understanding the adsorption mechanism of chitosan onto poly(lactide-co-glycolide) particlesChunqiang Guo
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60612 7231, USA
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 70:597-604. 2008..However, the mechanism of adsorption of polyelectrolyte onto particles remains unsolved...
- Aggregation of silica nanoparticles directed by adsorption of lysozymeBhuvnesh Bharti
Institut für Chemie, Stranski Laboratorium für Physikalische und Theoretische Chemie, Technische Universität Berlin, Strasse des 17 Juni 124, D 10623 Berlin, Germany
Langmuir 27:9823-33. 2011..The adsorption affinity and capacity of lysozyme on the silica particles is increasing progressively with pH, and the adsorbed ..
- Atomic-level study of adsorption, conformational change, and dimerization of an α-helical peptide at graphene surfaceLuchun Ou
State Key Laboratory of Surface Physics, and Department of Physics, Fudan University, 220 Handan Road, Shanghai, 200433, China
J Phys Chem B 115:9813-22. 2011..the formation of α-helical dimer in solution is mostly driven by interpeptide hydrophobic interactions; (2) the adsorption and the α-helix unfolding of the peptide at graphene surface is initiated from the C-terminal region due to ..
- Selective adsorption of tannin from flavonoids by organically modified attapulgite clayJianhua Huang
State Key Laboratory of Food Science and Technology, School of Food Science and Technology, Jiangnan University, 1800 Lihu Road, Wuxi 214122, Jiangsu Province, PR China
J Hazard Mater 160:382-7. 2008In this study, selective adsorption of tannin on organically modified attapulgite clay was investigated. Tannin was selectively removed from model tannin/flavonoids mixtures in the solution...
- Association entropy in adsorption processesN Ben-Tal
Department of Biochemistry, George S Wise Faculty of Life Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv 69978, Israel
Biophys J 79:1180-7. 2000The association of two species to form a bound complex, e.g., the binding of a ligand to a protein or the adsorption of a peptide on a lipid membrane, involves an entropy loss, reflecting the conversion of free translational and ..
- Adsorption of crude oil from aqueous solution by hydrogel of chitosan based polyacrylamide prepared by radiation induced graft polymerizationH H Sokker
Jazan University, Faculty of Science, Saudi Arabia hesham
J Hazard Mater 190:359-65. 2011The adsorption of crude oil (initial concentration 0.5-30 g/L) from aqueous solution using hydrogel of chitosan based polyacrylamide (PAM) prepared by radiation induced graft polymerization has been investigated...
- Solid phase extraction of trace amounts of Ag, Cd, Cu, and Zn in environmental samples using magnetic nanoparticles coated by 3-(trimethoxysilyl)-1-propantiol and modified with 2-amino-5-mercapto-1,3,4-thiadiazole and their determination by ICP-OESMohammad Hossein Mashhadizadeh
Faculty of Chemistry, Tarbiat Moallem University, Tehran, Iran
J Hazard Mater 190:1023-9. 2011..12, 0.12, 0.13 and 0.11 ng mL(-1). The prepared sorbent was applied for preconcentration of trace amounts of Ag, Cd, Cu, and Zn in the various water samples with satisfactory results...
- Sensitivity of marine microalgae to copper: the effect of biotic factors on copper adsorption and toxicityJacqueline L Levy
Centre for Environmental Contaminants Research, CSIRO Land and Water, Private Mail Bag 7, Bangor, NSW, Australia
Sci Total Environ 387:141-54. 2007..A range of marine algae from different taxonomic groups were screened to determine whether copper adsorption to the cell membrane was influenced by biotic factors, such as the ultrastructure of cell walls and cell size...
- Adsorption of Cu(II) and Pb(II) onto a grafted silica: isotherms and kinetic modelsNathalie Chiron
Laboratoire de Chimie Inorganique, IUT A, Université P, Sabatier, Avenue Georges Pompidou, Castres 81100, France
Water Res 37:3079-86. 2003The isotherms and kinetics of adsorption of lead(II) and copper(II) onto a grafted silica are studied at 20 degrees C. A commercial silica is grafted with an ethylediamine derivative, N-[3-(trimethoxysilyl)propyl]-ethylenediamine...
- Enhanced bioaccumulation of cadmium in carp in the presence of titanium dioxide nanoparticlesXuezhi Zhang
College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, China
Chemosphere 67:160-6. 2007In this study adsorption of Cd onto TiO2 nanoparticles and natural sediment particles (SP) were studied and the facilitated transports of Cd into carp by TiO2 nanoparticles and SP were assessed by bioaccumulation tests exposing carp (..
- Activated carbons and low cost adsorbents for remediation of tri- and hexavalent chromium from waterDinesh Mohan
Department of Chemistry, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS 39762, USA
J Hazard Mater 137:762-811. 2006..Far less attention has been paid to adsorption. Herein, we provide the first review article that provides readers an overview of the sorption capacities of ..
- Ocean productivity before about 1.9 Gyr ago limited by phosphorus adsorption onto iron oxidesChristian J Bjerrum
Danish Center for Earth System Science, Institute of Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, DK 5230 Odense, Denmark
Nature 417:159-62. 2002..In the modern oceans, a significant removal pathway for phosphorus occurs by way of its adsorption onto iron oxide deposits...
- Passivating Proteins in Implantable Glucose SensorsW Ward; Fiscal Year: 2004..the isotherms for each protein, in order to establish concentrations needed to attain saturation or monolayer adsorption. b. For each protein, the resistance to displacement by blood plasma will be measured...
- Personalized Clinical Diagnostics and Beyond: Integrated Ring Resonator ArraysRyan Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2009..This technology promises to broadly impact the landscape of the biomedical sciences, both meeting the clinical diagnostic challenges of today and pioneering the paradigm-shifting discoveries of tomorrow. ..
- Bioengineering of Novel Synthetic Lipid-Peptide Lung SurfactantsRobert H Notter; Fiscal Year: 2013..L) modeled after those in native surfactant, and novel phospholipase-resistant lipids (RL) having enhanced adsorption and spreading plus the ability to resist degradation in inflammatory lung injury (ALI/ARDS)...
- Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Differentiation with Defined O2 & Protein EngagementROBERT SAMUEL LANGER; Fiscal Year: 2010..polymers, and (3) chemically modified with synthetic polymers to which ECM components are attached by physical adsorption or covalent linkage, including defined proteins and mixtures thereof...
- Novel ex-vivo Immunoadsorption Therapy to Treat PreeclampsiaWoo Joo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Reimbursement rates for adsorption apheresis range from $5-10,000 and could be justified for PE patients by reducing or eliminating ICU costs and ..
- Liquid Crystal-Based End-of-Service-Life-Indicator for Toluene VaporBHARAT R ACHARYA; Fiscal Year: 2011..To minimize the risk of exceeding the adsorption capacity of the carbon, which would result in breakthrough and inhalation of organic vapors, NIOSH has ..
- Reducing wound bioburden and biofilm formation using a nanoscale wound surface enJonathan F McAnulty; Fiscal Year: 2013..also penetrate and create microdomains within the biofilm, increasing surface contact by >80%, to increase adsorption of antibiofilm and antimicrobial agents concurrently and generating progressive dispersion-kill zones emanating ..
- Alpha-Synuclein-Metal Complexes and Oxidative Stress in Parkinson's DiseaseFeimeng Zhou; Fiscal Year: 2012..A variety of analytical techniques (e.g., NMR, EPR, voltammetry, fluorescence, and adsorption spectroscopy) will be used to investigate the binding and redox reactions, whereas atomic force microscopy, ..
- A Miniaturized GC with MEMS-Enabled Selective Preconcentration for Monitoring ExpMasoud Agah; Fiscal Year: 2013..This research proposal is aimed at developing a miniaturized gas chromatography system with selective adsorption capability to identify air hazardous pollutants (HAPs) found in transportation-related and other workplaces...
- Developing fluorescent probes for the endogenous gaseous transmitters NO and H2SMICHAEL PLUTH; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Adsorption or covalent attachment of such complexes to solubilized single-walled carbon nanotubes (SWNTs) will be used to ..
- Combinatorial Metal Oxide Substrates to Enhance Osteogenic Stem Cell FunctionsJaime E Ramírez-Vick; Fiscal Year: 2012..This research is expected to achieve the following: (1) elucidate aspects of protein adsorption and adhesion and function of cells on the novel substrates;and (2) establish the potential of these metal oxide ..
- Polysaccharide Ecocomposite Materials: Recyclable Synthesis and ApplicationsChieu D Tran; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., bisphenol A and chlorophenols) will be evaluated by measuring kinetics and adsorption isotherms of the adsorption processes by using either fluorescence or UV-visible absorption techniques...
- Novel Polymer Coatings to Prevent Biofilms on Urinary Stents and CathetersJEFFREY LAWRENCE DALSIN; Fiscal Year: 2011..The resulting constructs have greatly reduced protein adsorption, mammalian cell attachment, and microbial attachment to metal and metal oxide surfaces...
- NOC in processed meat as a likely cause of colon cancerSidney S Mirvish; Fiscal Year: 2012..Aim 2: Identification of hot dog ANC precursor (ANCP): We will purify ANCP from standard hot dog paties by adsorption-desorption and various HPLC systems, and try to identify the ANCP by mass spectrometry...
- Process for Removal of Microcontaminants from Municipal WaterJAMES H WHITE; Fiscal Year: 2010..addresses remediation of water so effected by demonstrating proof of concept of a process technology utilizing adsorption (for pre-concentration of water contaminants) and attack by hydroxyl radicals for removing the aforementioned ..
- BONE TARGETED DELIVERY OF ANABOLIC AGENTSJINDRICH H KOPECEK; Fiscal Year: 2011..The advantages of the proposed drug delivery systems are: selective adsorption to the tissues in bone with higher rates of bone turnover, localization of the anabolic agent (prostaglandin E1) ..
- Selection of an anti-ceramide mitigator of acute radiation toxicity of the GI traJimmy Rotolo; Fiscal Year: 2012..compartment of the GI tract, resulting in denudation of the GI epithelium, and death due to lack of nutrient adsorption, diarrhea and dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and enterobacterial sepsis...
- Array development of anti-inflammatory peptoid-graft polymers for islet deliveryMatthew Webber; Fiscal Year: 2013..Arrays will also be screened for blood-contacting properties, inlcuding ability to limit serum adsorption and complement activation...
- LIPID AND PROTEIN EFFECTS ON MONOLAYER STABILITYJOSEPH ANTHONY ZASADZINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013..determines the mechanical properties of monolayers necessary for low surface tensions and rapid respreading and adsorption. Our goal is to determine the physiologically optimal viscosity and elasticity for rapid spreading and low ..
- Fast, High-Resolution Protein Separations using Controllable Electro-Osmotic FlowFRANK JAHNKE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The device pores will be derivatized with high-density polyacrylamide to minimize protein adsorption. Performance of cIEF and CZE separations will be quantified using reference protein mixtures over a range of ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF RECEPTOR AND CHANNEL FUNCTIONDavid Julius; Fiscal Year: 2013..have highlighted the importance of these and other TRP channel subtypes in processes ranging from calcium adsorption to neuronal growth cone guidance, keratinocyte development, and numerous aspects of sensory transduction...
- KIDNEY STONE INHIBITORSSHANTHA S SARANGAPANI; Fiscal Year: 2013..molecule -adsorptive inhibition of insoluble stone forming calcium compounds and potential reduction of protein adsorption due to their hydrophilic properties...
- 2011 Multidrug Efflux Systems GRCOlga Lomovskaya; Fiscal Year: 2011..anti-cancer and anti-infective drugs, are important for microbial pathogenesis and oncogenesis, involved in drug adsorption, distribution and excretion, and have been recently implicated in several human diseases...
- Metal Binding to the Bacterial Cell WallCharles V Rice; Fiscal Year: 2013..TA Structure Upon Metal Chelation;and 2) Characterize the Cell Wall (TA and PG) Structure Before and After Metal Adsorption. The approach uses equilibrium dialysis of Cd2+, Mg2+, Ca2+, K+, and Na+ with cell wall (PG+TA), PG only, and TA ..
- Smart Miniaturized personal monitors for black carbon and multiple air pollutantsSteven N Chillrud; Fiscal Year: 2010..BC will be measured via an internal subminiature optical adsorption analysis of deposited particles...
- Strategies for Eliciting bnAbs against Conserved HIV-1 Quaternary EpitopesAbraham Pinter; Fiscal Year: 2013..to express model QNEs recognized by 2909 and PG09 mAbs will be tested by binding assays and neutralization adsorption assays...
- In Vitro Human Tissue Model for Intravaginal Drug DeliverySeyoum Ayehunie; Fiscal Year: 2010..early in the drug discovery process, there is a great need to develop a reliable screening method for drug adsorption through the vaginal route...
- Compact Hydrogen Peroxide Sensor for Sterilization Cycle MonitoringKrishnan Parameswaran; Fiscal Year: 2013..vapor phase decontamination agent flow within an isolator and the effects of hydrogen peroxide destruction, adsorption and desorption for materials commonly used to fabricate isolators and in pharmaceutical fill/finish packaging ..
- Porous Silicon Particles for Sustained Intravitreal Drug DeliveryLingyun Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2013..vitreous stability will be optimized for loading of the candidate drugs using physical trapping, electrostatic adsorption, covalent attachment, or layer by layer approaches...
- Multi-plexed Cardiac Biomarker Detection Using Electrochemically Active AptamersTHOMAS W OWEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..objectives include (1) demonstration that the modified electrode surface resists non-specific interactions/adsorption (2) a limit of detection for CRP of 0.1 mg/L and a linear dynamic range from 0.1-10 mg/L...
- Antifouling Peptide Mimetic PolymersIgal G Szleifer; Fiscal Year: 2013..surfaces and biomolecules, with a specific emphasis on resistance of grafted polymers to nonspecific protein adsorption;and 2) to use this information to guide the design of novel antifouling peptide mimetic polymers for use in ..
- Layer-by-layer nanocarriers for highly efficient solubilization of insoluble drugVladimir P Torchilin; Fiscal Year: 2013..to assemble polyelectrolyte multilayer shells on various particles through the LbL process based on an alternate adsorption of oppositely charged polyelectrolytes...
- INTERFACIAL ADSORPTION OF PULMONARY SURFACTANTStephen B Hall; Fiscal Year: 2010..The mechanisms by which adsorption occurs is the focus of our studies...
- Protein-Crystal Molecular Recognition in BiomineralizationPatrick S Stayton; Fiscal Year: 2012..a full three-dimensional statherin structure that connects to the molecular mechanisms underlying hydroxyapatite adsorption thermodynamics and crystal engineering function...
- Development of LOS-Modified Nanoparticles for Improved Airway Epithelial UptakeJennifer Fiegel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Raman spectroscopy will be used to quantify the adsorption of respiratory mucosal components on nanoparticle surfaces in real-time...
- Electrochemical diagnostics for rapid, multiplexed detection of RA biomarkersJeff King; Fiscal Year: 2012..This is accomplished using surfaces that are resistant to non-specific adsorption, enabling the platform to work with complex samples such as serum...
- Capillary Electrophoresis and Protein BiophysicsGeorge M Whitesides; Fiscal Year: 2010..4. To provide a solution to the problem of adsorption of proteins on the hydrophobic walls of microchannels in plastic LoC systems. 5...
- Point-of-care Testing for Illicit Drugs and Alcohol Intoxication in an EmergencyMarcel Benz; Fiscal Year: 2011..The vaporized analytes are preconcentrated on a sorbent with increased relative adsorption strength for the analytes of interest prior to the chromatographic separation and subsequent detection with the ..
- RAPID PROTEIN PURIFICATION BY POLYMER BRUSH-MODIFIED MEMBRANESMerlin L Bruening; Fiscal Year: 2011..Additionally, properly designed brushes will be resistant to nonspecific adsorption and provide new methods for purification of "sticky" proteins that are not amenable to column-based purification...
- Characterization of antitumor auto-antibodies using combinatorial peptide librariWlodek Mandecki; Fiscal Year: 2012..two purposes: 1) to enrich for low-abundance proteins based on established principles of solid-phase affinity adsorption and 2) to rapidly identify the affinity ligand on each chip based on the encoded ID...
- Development of materials to release bioactive lipidsDonald L Elbert; Fiscal Year: 2010..We have previously synthesized polyethylene glycol materials that strongly resist protein adsorption and blood cell adhesion, but allow endothelial cell adhesion due to the presence of cell adhesion peptides...
- Molecular Basis for Nonadhesive Properties of Fibrinogen MatricesTatiana P Ugarova; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Adsorption of the blood protein fibrinogen (Fg) on the surface of biomaterials is a critical early event during the interaction of blood with implanted vascular grafts...
- Environmental Microbial and Mammalian Biomolecular Responses to AhR LigandsNorbert E Kaminski; Fiscal Year: 2013..populations indigenous to soils, sediments and groundwater;(2) defining the geochemical parameters governing adsorption, bioavailability and long-term fate of AhR ligands through interactions with geosorbent compositions in soils ..
- Effects of Osteocalcin and Osteopontin on Damage Morphology and Bone FragilityDeepak Vashishth; Fiscal Year: 2013..OC, OPN) will be subjected to Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (SS NMR) and Atomic Force Spectroscopy, Adsorption Chromatography or Fracture Mechanics Testing to determine whether: (H1) The interaction of OC and OPN with HA ..
- Schiff base forming sunscreen filters for long-wear UV protectionSteven Isaacman; Fiscal Year: 2012..Phase I Hypothesis: The Phase I hypothesis is that adsorption of the ligand onto the sunscreen filter does not negatively impact (1) the breadth and magnitude of UV ..
- PTD-Mediated Protein or Drug Delivery for Cancer TherapyVictor C Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Binding CPP with heparin would mask its cell-penetrating function due to inhibition of its adsorption to the cell surfaces...
- Unbiased screens in zebrafish for new classes of cyanide countermeasureCalum A Macrae; Fiscal Year: 2011..vitro approaches to small molecule discovery fail to predict a compound's bioavailability, ADME properties (adsorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion), and toxicity...
- Breast microcalcifications and their role in breast cancer bone metastasisClaudia Fischbach; Fiscal Year: 2013..up-regulation of bone metastatic properties in breast cancer cells due in part to varied non-specific protein adsorption; 2) HA in the bones of tumor-bearing mice is characterized by decreased size and crystallinity even prior to ..
- In Situ Sampling Tool for Assessing Bioavailability and Toxicity of SedimentsRolf U Halden; Fiscal Year: 2013..sampling device and push it at, respectively, high and low desirable flow rates through an array of filters and adsorption media. Water samples either can be stored in the device or expelled into the bulk water at will...
- Tools to Connect Protein Conformations, Dynamics, and AssociationsDaniel Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although resistance to protein adsorption is often cited as necessary for a particular application (biosensing, biocompatibility, etc...
- Polypeptide Multilayer Nanofilms for Synthetic Biomatrix DevelopmentWanhua Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2010..In one approach, one or more proteins from mammalian ECM, for example collagen, are deposited by non-specific adsorption. Such coatings offer relatively advanced functionality, but ECM proteins are expensive to purify, they must be ..
- ELECTROSTATIC SURFACE OPTIMIZATION FOR OSSEOINTEGRATIONMichele Marcolongo; Fiscal Year: 2000..surface is electrostatic in nature, with the electrostatic characteristics of the surface encouraging the adsorption of specific ECM proteins (in particular, fibronectin, an important serum protein involved in cell adhesion) to ..
- Evolution of glycan-reactive broadly neutralizing anti-v2 antibodies in HIV infecLynn Morris; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be modified in order to characterize antibody specificities and glycan-reactivity over time, and used in adsorption experiments to assess the neutralizing capacity of V2-directed plasma antibodies...
- Zero Net Charge Polymer Brush Surfaces Highly Resistant to Protein AdsorptionK H Aaron Lau; Fiscal Year: 2012..Surface fouling of body-fluid-contacting devices by non-specific protein adsorption and cell attachment, and the consequent surface-induced thrombotic and inflammatory responses, degrade device ..
- A novel desorption technique for improved sensitivity in sampling for gasesCLAUDIU T LUNGU; Fiscal Year: 2013..like Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes (SWNT) and Porous Graphitized Carbon Particles (HDCP) have shown comparable adsorption and desorption attributes...
- Amelogenin degradation by MMP20 and KLK4 in enamel biomineralizationWu Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..The amelogenin adsorption and degradation are also specific on different crystal planes, which drive the crystal to elongate primarily ..
- UNDERSTANDING THE INTERACTION OF ANKYRINS AND NANOMATERIALSCARLOS DIEGO GARCIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..The basis for the adsorption is generally provided by some combination of hydrophobic and electrostatic interactions...
- Effects of Vicinal Surface Chemistry on DNA Base-Pairing using Single-Molecule REDaniel Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. adsorption/desorption, interfacial mobility, conformational fluctuations, hybridization), providing mechanistic ..
- CARBONATOAPATITE FORMATION IN ENAMEL MINERALIZATIONTakaaki Aoba; Fiscal Year: 1993..products, better prototypes for enamel crystals than hydroxyapatite, will be used in solubility, protein adsorption, and crystal growth studies...
- Smart adsorption system for removal of toxic, organic chemicals from drinking watTakuji Tsukamoto; Fiscal Year: 2011..2) Study the Adsorption Characteristics of Prepared ACFs Using Concerning Toxic Organic Chemical Pollutants...
- Thermally Responsive Magnetic-Hydrogel Nanocomposites for Advanced Drug DeliveryNicholas A Peppas; Fiscal Year: 2012..will be examined to determine their impact on carrier stability, active targeting, and on non-specific protein adsorption. Furthermore, a novel testing apparatus will be fabricated that allows for swelling kinetics experiments as a ..
- 2013 Multi-Drug Efflux Systems GRCOlga Lomovskaya; Fiscal Year: 2013..anti-cancer and anti-infective drugs, are important for microbial pathogenesis and oncogenesis, involved in drug adsorption, distribution and excretion, and have been recently implicated in several human diseases...
- 1993 GORDON CONFERENCE ON REACTIVE POLYMERSCsaba Horvath; Fiscal Year: 1993..The Conference on "Reactive Polymers" is distinct from the Gordon Conference on "Adsorption" and on "Polymers" in that the architecture of the polymers and the impact of the architecture upon the ..
- NORMAL & PATHOLOGICAL ENAMEL MINERALIZATIONTakaaki Aoba; Fiscal Year: 1993..The properties concerned are: a) their selective adsorption onto apatitic surfaces, b) their solubility in physiologic aqueous solutions, and c) their hydrophobic/..
- OVERALL HEMOCOMPATIBILITY PEO-FUNCTIONALIZED SILOXANESWilliam Collins; Fiscal Year: 2001..Platelet behavior and RGD protein adsorption elucidate the hemocompatibility of these biomaterials and will be examined...
- OVERALL HEMOCOMPATIBILITY PEO-FUNCTIONALIZED SILOXANESWilliam Collins; Fiscal Year: 2003..Platelet behavior and RGD protein adsorption elucidate the hemocompatibility of these biomaterials and will be examined...
- NEW BIOMEDICAL INTERFACE MATERIALSRoger Marchant; Fiscal Year: 2002..that non-covalent physical forces created by a cell's glycocalyx provides the major determining factor in the adsorption and functional state of adsorbed proteins, that controls subsequent cell and molecular interactions...
- Pre-Clinical Evaluation of Antimalarial Natural Products from Carica papaya L.Shuren Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2009..Additionally, these compounds were found to possess desirable ADME (adsorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion) characteristics...
- Shiga toxin-encoding phage adsorption and toxin releaseMARCIA GOLDBERG; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ORAL ECOLOGY OF PROSTHETIC SURFACESMira Edgerton; Fiscal Year: 1991..Since adsorption of a salivary pellicle to an artificial surface influences the microbial attachment and subsequent tissue ..