Genomes and Genes
Summary: The chemical or biochemical addition of carbohydrate or glycosyl groups to other chemicals, especially peptides or proteins. Glycosyl transferases are used in this biochemical reaction.
Publications352 found, 100 shown here
- O-mannosyl phosphorylation of alpha-dystroglycan is required for laminin bindingTakako Yoshida-Moriguchi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Iowa Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, 4283 Carver Biomedical Research Building, 285 Newton Road, Iowa City, IA 52242 1101, USA
Science 327:88-92. 2010..These findings expand our understanding of the mechanisms that underlie congenital muscular dystrophy...
- Antibody neutralization and escape by HIV-1Xiping Wei
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 720 South 20th Street, Kaul 816, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0024, USA
Nature 422:307-12. 2003..sparse, did not map generally to known neutralization epitopes, and involved primarily changes in N-linked glycosylation. This pattern of escape, and the exceptional density of HIV-1 envelope glycosylation generally, led us to ..
- Prediction, conservation analysis, and structural characterization of mammalian mucin-type O-glycosylation sitesKarin Julenius
Center for Biological Sequence Analysis, BioCentrum, Building 208, Technical University of Denmark, DK 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
Glycobiology 15:153-64. 2005O-GalNAc-glycosylation is one of the main types of glycosylation in mammalian cells...
- Human monoclonal antibody 2G12 defines a distinctive neutralization epitope on the gp120 glycoprotein of human immunodeficiency virus type 1A Trkola
Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York 10016, USA
J Virol 70:1100-8. 1996..consistent with this, antibodies able to block 2G12 binding to recombinant gp120 were not detected in significant quantities in 16 HIV-positive human serum samples...
- Unique carbohydrate-carbohydrate interactions are required for high affinity binding between FcgammaRIII and antibodies lacking core fucoseClaudia Ferrara
Pharma Research and Early Development, Roche Glycart AG, CH 8952 Schlieren, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:12669-74. 2011..These findings allow us to understand the higher efficacy of therapeutic antibodies lacking the core fucose and also suggest a unique mechanism by which the immune system can regulate antibody-mediated effector functions...
- A multifunctional mannosyltransferase family in Candida albicans determines cell wall mannan structure and host-fungus interactionsHector M Mora-Montes
School of Medical Sciences, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
J Biol Chem 285:12087-95. 2010..b>Glycosylation of cell wall proteins involves the activities of families of endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi-located glycosyl ..
- Dystroglycanopathies: coming into focusCaroline Godfrey
Dubowitz Neuromuscular Centre, UCL Institute of Child Health and the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, Guilford Street, University College London, United Kingdom
Curr Opin Genet Dev 21:278-85. 2011A common group of muscular dystrophies is associated with the aberrant glycosylation of α-dystroglycan...
- SRD5A3 is required for converting polyprenol to dolichol and is mutated in a congenital glycosylation disorderVincent Cantagrel
Neurogenetics Laboratory, Institute for Genomic Medicine, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Neurosciences and Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell 142:203-17. 2010N-linked glycosylation is the most frequent modification of secreted and membrane-bound proteins in eukaryotic cells, disruption of which is the basis of the congenital disorders of glycosylation (CDGs)...
- Intracellular functions of N-linked glycansA Helenius
Institute of Biochemistry, , , , Switzerland
Science 291:2364-9. 2001..The division of synthesis and processing between the ER and the Golgi complex represents an evolutionary adaptation that allows efficient exploitation of the potential of oligosaccharides...
- Prediction of post-translational glycosylation and phosphorylation of proteins from the amino acid sequenceNikolaj Blom
Center for Biological Sequence Analysis, The Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark
Proteomics 4:1633-49. 2004..We describe our experiences with the development of prediction methods for phosphorylation and glycosylation sites and the development of PTM-specific databases...
- Dystroglycan function requires xylosyl- and glucuronyltransferase activities of LARGEKei Ichiro Inamori
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, University of Iowa Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, 4283 Carver Biomedical Research Building, 285 Newton Road, Iowa City, IA 52242 1101, USA
Science 335:93-6. 2012..This modification allowed α-DG to bind laminin-G domain-containing ECM ligands...
- Envelope-constrained neutralization-sensitive HIV-1 after heterosexual transmissionCynthia A Derdeyn
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 USA
Science 303:2019-22. 2004..This reveals characteristics of the envelope glycoprotein that influence HIV-1 transmission and may have implications for vaccine design...
- Mechanisms and principles of N-linked protein glycosylationFlavio Schwarz
Institute of Microbiology, Department of Biology, ETH Zurich, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Opin Struct Biol 21:576-82. 2011N-linked glycosylation, a protein modification system present in all domains of life, is characterized by a high structural diversity of N-linked glycans found among different species and by a large number of proteins that are ..
- Sweet-talk: role of host glycosylation in bacterial pathogenesis of the gastrointestinal tractA P Moran
Microbiology, School of Natural Sciences, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Gut 60:1412-25. 2011b>Glycosylation is a key modification of proteins and lipids and is involved in most intermolecular and intercellular interactions...
- Precision mapping of an in vivo N-glycoproteome reveals rigid topological and sequence constraintsDorota F Zielinska
Department of Proteomics and Signal Transduction, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Am Klopferspitz 18, Martinsried D 82152, Germany
Cell 141:897-907. 2010N-linked glycosylation is a biologically important protein modification, but only a small fraction of modification sites have been mapped...
- Protein glycosylation in bacteria: sweeter than everHarald Nothaft
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nat Rev Microbiol 8:765-78. 2010Investigations into bacterial protein glycosylation continue to progress rapidly...
- Generation of glyco-engineered Nicotiana benthamiana for the production of monoclonal antibodies with a homogeneous human-like N-glycan structureRichard Strasser
Institute of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Muthgasse 18, 1190 Vienna, Austria
Plant Biotechnol J 6:392-402. 2008..using plants as a production system for therapeutic proteins is their inability to perform authentic human N-glycosylation (i.e. the presence of beta1,2-xylosylation and core alpha1,3-fucosylation)...
- Neutralizing antibody responses in acute human immunodeficiency virus type 1 subtype C infectionE S Gray
AIDS Virus Research Unit, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Private Bag X4, Sandringham 2131, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Virol 81:6187-96. 2007..The magnitude of this response was associated with shorter V1-to-V5 envelope lengths and fewer glycosylation sites, particularly in the V1-V2 region...
- Glycosylation, galectins and cellular signalingCecile Boscher
Department of Cellular and Physiological Sciences, Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Curr Opin Cell Biol 23:383-92. 2011b>Glycosylation is a common posttranslational modification of proteins and lipids of the secretory pathway that generates binding sites for galactose-specific lectins or galectins...
- Anti-inflammatory activity of immunoglobulin G resulting from Fc sialylationYoshikatsu Kaneko
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Immunology, Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 313:670-3. 2006..This differential sialylation may provide a switch from innate anti-inflammatory activity in the steady state to generating adaptive pro-inflammatory effects upon antigenic challenge...
- The expanding horizons of asparagine-linked glycosylationAngelyn Larkin
Department of Chemistry Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Biochemistry 50:4411-26. 2011Asparagine-linked glycosylation involves the sequential assembly of an oligosaccharide onto a polyisoprenyl donor, followed by the en bloc transfer of the glycan to particular asparagine residues within acceptor proteins...
- Candida albicans cell wall glycosylation may be indirectly required for activation of epithelial cell proinflammatory responsesCelia Murciano
Department of Oral Immunology, Floor 28, Tower Wing, King s College London Dental Institute, King s College London, London SE1 9RT, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 79:4902-11. 2011..host recognition and immune activation in myeloid cells, we sought to determine whether β-glucan and N- or O-glycosylation was important in activating the MAPK/MKP1/c-Fos hypha-mediated response mechanism and proinflammatory ..
- Control of mucin-type O-glycosylation: a classification of the polypeptide GalNAc-transferase gene familyEric P Bennett
Department of Odontology, Copenhagen Center for Glycomics, University of Copenhagen, Nørre Allé 20, DK 2200 Copenhagen N, Denmark
Glycobiology 22:736-56. 2012b>Glycosylation of proteins is an essential process in all eukaryotes and a great diversity in types of protein glycosylation exists in animals, plants and microorganisms...
- Outer chain N-glycans are required for cell wall integrity and virulence of Candida albicansSteven Bates
School of Medical Sciences, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 281:90-8. 2006..However, tissue burdens for the Caoch1delta null mutant were similar to control strains with normal N-glycosylation, suggesting the host-fungal interaction was altered such that high burdens were tolerated...
- Pandemic H1N1 influenza A viruses are resistant to the antiviral activities of innate immune proteins of the collectin and pentraxin superfamiliesEmma R Job
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Immunol 185:4284-91. 2010..of H1N1 viruses to infect human respiratory epithelial cells in a manner that correlated with the degree of glycosylation in the globular head of the hemagglutinin...
- Statistical analysis of the protein environment of N-glycosylation sites: implications for occupancy, structure, and foldingAndrei J Petrescu
Oxford Glycobiology Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3QU, U K
Glycobiology 14:103-14. 2004..analysis to the glycan-protein linkage, and the peptide primary, secondary, and tertiary structures around N-glycosylation sites...
- Characterization of the PMT gene family in Cryptococcus neoformansSven D Willger
Institut fur Mikrobiologie, Molekulare Mykologie, Heinrich Heine Universitat, Dusseldorf, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e6321. 2009Protein-O-mannosyltransferases (Pmt's) catalyze the initial step of protein-O-glycosylation, the addition of mannose residues to serine or threonine residues of target proteins.
- Aberrant glycosylation of IgA1 is inherited in both pediatric IgA nephropathy and Henoch-Schönlein purpura nephritisKrzysztof Kiryluk
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Kidney Int 80:79-87. 2011..Thus, serum galactose-deficient IgA1 levels are highly inherited in pediatric patients with IgAN and HSPN, providing support for another shared pathogenic link between these disorders...
- Mutations in the human LARGE gene cause MDC1D, a novel form of congenital muscular dystrophy with severe mental retardation and abnormal glycosylation of alpha-dystroglycanCheryl Longman
Dubowitz Neuromuscular Centre, Imperial College, Hammersmith Campus, London, UK
Hum Mol Genet 12:2853-61. 2003..This is the first description of mutations in the human LARGE gene and we propose to name this new disorder MDC1D...
- Glycosylation in immune cell traffickingMarkus Sperandio
Walter Brendel Center of Experimental Medicine, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munich, Germany
Immunol Rev 230:97-113. 2009..Advancing the knowledge on glycan function into appropriate pathology models is likely to suggest interesting new therapeutic strategies in the treatment of immune- and inflammation-mediated diseases...
- Inhibition of Lassa and Marburg virus production by tetherinToshie Sakuma
First Department of Forensic Science, National Research Institute of Police Science, Kashiwa 277 0882, Japan
J Virol 83:2382-5. 2009..by viral matrix proteins of Lassa virus or Marburg virus was markedly inhibited by tetherin and that N-linked glycosylation of tetherin was dispensable for this antiviral activity...
- Pattern recognition receptors require N-glycosylation to mediate plant immunityHeidrun Häweker
Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Carl von Linne Weg 10, 50829 Cologne, Germany
J Biol Chem 285:4629-36. 2010..and FLS2, sensing bacterial translation elongation factor Tu (elf18) and flagellin (flg22), respectively, in N-glycosylation mutants...
- Envelope glycans of immunodeficiency virions are almost entirely oligomannose antigensKatie J Doores
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science and International AIDS Vaccine Initiative Neutralizing Antibody Center, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13800-5. 2010..In stark contrast to recombinant gp120, which shows extensive exposure to cellular glycosylation enzymes (>70% complex type glycans), the native envelope shows barely detectable processing beyond the ..
- HIV-1 evades antibody-mediated neutralization through conformational masking of receptor-binding sitesPeter D Kwong
Vaccine Research Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nature 420:678-82. 2002..Because this solution is available for cell-surface receptors but not for most antibodies, conformational masking enables HIV-1 to maintain receptor binding and simultaneously to resist neutralization...
- Glycosylation defining cancer malignancy: new wine in an old bottleSenitiroh Hakomori
Pacific Northwest Research Institute, and Department of Pathobiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98122 4327, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:10231-3. 2002
- Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 V1-V2 envelope loop sequences expand and add glycosylation sites over the course of infection, and these modifications affect antibody neutralization sensitivityManish Sagar
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Virol 80:9586-98. 2006..Changes in the envelope variable loop sequences, particularly the extent of glycosylation, have been implicated in antibody escape...
- Glycosylation and the immune systemP M Rudd
The Glycobiology Institute, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QU, UK
Science 291:2370-6. 2001..For example, in rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disease, agalactosylated glycoforms of aggregated immunoglobulin G may induce association with the mannose-binding lectin and contribute to the pathology...
- Mutations in the O-mannosyltransferase gene POMT1 give rise to the severe neuronal migration disorder Walker-Warburg syndromeDaniel Beltran-Valero de Bernabe
Department of Human Genetics, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Hum Genet 71:1033-43. 2002..The protein products of POMGnT1 and Fukutin have both been implicated in protein glycosylation. To unravel the genetic basis of WWS, we first performed a genomewide linkage analysis in 10 consanguineous ..
- The mannose-dependent epitope for neutralizing antibody 2G12 on human immunodeficiency virus type 1 glycoprotein gp120Rogier W Sanders
Dept of Microbiology and Immunology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Virol 76:7293-305. 2002....
- Cross talk between O-GlcNAcylation and phosphorylation: roles in signaling, transcription, and chronic diseaseGerald W Hart
Departments of Biological Chemistry and Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205
Annu Rev Biochem 80:825-58. 2011..As tools for the study of O-GlcNAc become more facile and available, exponential growth in this area of research will eventually take place...
- Essential role of the glycosyltransferase sxc/Ogt in polycomb repressionMaria Cristina Gambetta
Gene Expression Programme, European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Science 325:93-6. 2009..Polycomb repression appears to be a critical function of Sxc/Ogt in Drosophila and may be mediated by the glycosylation of Polyhomeotic.
- Deficiency of Dol-P-Man synthase subunit DPM3 bridges the congenital disorders of glycosylation with the dystroglycanopathiesDirk J Lefeber
Laboratory of Pediatrics and Neurology, Institute for Genetic and Metabolic Disease, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Am J Hum Genet 85:76-86. 2009..Isolated muscular dystrophy has not been described in the congenital disorders of glycosylation (CDG) caused by N-linked protein glycosylation defects...
- Glycosylation focuses sequence variation in the influenza A virus H1 hemagglutinin globular domainSuman R Das
NIAID, Bethesda, MA, USA
PLoS Pathog 6:e1001211. 2010..we address an important and largely overlooked issue in antigenic drift: how does the number and location of glycosylation sites affect HA evolution in man? We analyzed the glycosylation status of all full-length H1 subtype HA ..
- Role of N-linked glycans in the functions of hepatitis C virus envelope glycoproteinsAnne Goffard
CNRS UPR2511, Institut de Biologie de Lille, France
J Virol 79:8400-9. 2005Hepatitis C virus (HCV) encodes two viral envelope glycoproteins. E1 contains 4 or 5 N-linked glycosylation sites and E2 contains up to 11, with most of the sites being well conserved, suggesting that they play an essential role in some ..
- Virus glycosylation: role in virulence and immune interactionsDavid J Vigerust
Department of Pediatrics, Program in Vaccine Sciences, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Trends Microbiol 15:211-8. 2007The study of N-linked glycosylation as it relates to virus biology has become an area of intense interest in recent years due to its ability to impart various advantages to virus survival and virulence...
- Recapitulation of IVIG anti-inflammatory activity with a recombinant IgG FcRobert M Anthony
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Immunology, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 320:373-6. 2008..This therapeutic molecule precisely defines the biologically active component of IVIG and helps guide development of an IVIG replacement with improved activity and availability...
- Identification of a general O-linked protein glycosylation system in Acinetobacter baumannii and its role in virulence and biofilm formationJeremy A Iwashkiw
Alberta Glycomics Centre, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
PLoS Pathog 8:e1002758. 2012..In this work we show that A. baumannii ATCC 17978 possesses an O-glycosylation system responsible for the glycosylation of multiple proteins...
- Molecular evolution and network-level analysis of the N-glycosylation metabolic pathway across primatesLudovica Montanucci
Department of Experimental and Health Sciences, Institute of Evolutionary Biology, Universitat Pompeu Fabra Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Mol Biol Evol 28:813-23. 2011N-glycosylation is one of the most important forms of protein modification, serving key biological functions in multicellular organisms...
- Specific sites of N-linked glycosylation on the hemagglutinin of H1N1 subtype influenza A virus determine sensitivity to inhibitors of the innate immune system and virulence in miceMichelle D Tate
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
J Immunol 187:1884-94. 2011..A reverse genetic approach was used to define the importance of particular N-glycosylation sites on H1 in determining sensitivity to innate immune defenses and virulence in mice...
- A novel role for the IgG Fc glycan: the anti-inflammatory activity of sialylated IgG FcsRobert M Anthony
The Laboratory of Molecular Genetics and Immunology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Clin Immunol 30:S9-14. 2010..This leads to upregulated surface expression of the inhibitory FcR, FcgammaRIIb, on inflammatory cells, thereby attenuating autoantibody-initiated inflammation...
- Mining the O-glycoproteome using zinc-finger nuclease-glycoengineered SimpleCell linesCatharina Steentoft
Copenhagen Center for Glycomics, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Nat Methods 8:977-82. 2011..the O-glycan elongation pathway in human cells, generating stable 'SimpleCell' lines with homogenous O-glycosylation. Three SimpleCell lines expressing only truncated GalNAcα or NeuAcα2-6GalNAcα O-glycans were produced, ..
- A unique beta1,3-galactosyltransferase is indispensable for the biosynthesis of N-glycans containing Lewis a structures in Arabidopsis thalianaRichard Strasser
Institute of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, BOKU, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, A 1190 Viena, Austria
Plant Cell 19:2278-92. 2007....
- ISPD loss-of-function mutations disrupt dystroglycan O-mannosylation and cause Walker-Warburg syndromeTobias Willer
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, University of Iowa Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Nat Genet 44:575-80. 2012..Finally, we show that recessive mutations in ISPD abolish the initial step in laminin-binding glycan synthesis by disrupting dystroglycan O-mannosylation. This establishes a new mechanism for WWS pathophysiology...
- Location, location, location: new insights into O-GalNAc protein glycosylationDavid J Gill
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology IMCB, Proteos, 61 Biopolis Drive, Singapore, 138673
Trends Cell Biol 21:149-58. 2011O-GalNAc glycosylation of proteins confers essential structural, protective and signaling roles in eumetazoans...
- Longer V1V2 region with increased number of potential N-linked glycosylation sites in the HIV-1 envelope glycoprotein protects against HIV-specific neutralizing antibodiesMarit J van Gils
Department of Experimental Immunology, Academic Medical Center, M01 120, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, Netherlands
J Virol 85:6986-95. 2011..and at a population level, coincided with longer variable loops and an increased number of potential N-linked glycosylation sites (PNGS) in the viral envelope glycoprotein (Env) and, in particular, in variable regions 1 and 2 (V1V2)...
- Mutations in ISPD cause Walker-Warburg syndrome and defective glycosylation of α-dystroglycanTony Roscioli
Department of Human Genetics, Nijmegen Centre for Molecular Life Sciences, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Nat Genet 44:581-5. 2012..by complex eye and brain abnormalities with congenital muscular dystrophy (CMD) and aberrant a-dystroglycan glycosylation. Here we report mutations in the ISPD gene (encoding isoprenoid synthase domain containing) as the second most ..
- Folding of glycoproteins: toward understanding the biophysics of the glycosylation codeDalit Shental-Bechor
Department of Structural Biology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Curr Opin Struct Biol 19:524-33. 2009b>Glycosylation is among the most common post-translational modifications that proteins undergo that may affect many of their activities...
- Engineering mammalian mucin-type O-glycosylation in plantsZhang Yang
Department of Genetics and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Aarhus University, Flakkebjerg, 4200 Slagelse, Denmark
J Biol Chem 287:11911-23. 2012Mucin-type O-glycosylation is an important post-translational modification that confers a variety of biological properties and functions to proteins...
- Envelope deglycosylation enhances antigenicity of HIV-1 gp41 epitopes for both broad neutralizing antibodies and their unmutated ancestor antibodiesBen Jiang Ma
Duke Human Vaccine Institute, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 7:e1002200. 2011....
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae pilin glycan contributes to CR3 activation during challenge of primary cervical epithelial cellsMichael P Jennings
Institute for Glycomics, Griffith University, Gold Coast Campus, Australia
Cell Microbiol 13:885-96. 2011..an O-linked glycan, which may be present as a di- or monosaccharide because of phase variation of select pilin glycosylation genes...
- Comparison of methods for profiling O-glycosylation: Human Proteome Organisation Human Disease Glycomics/Proteome Initiative multi-institutional study of IgA1Yoshinao Wada
Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, Izumi, Osaka, Japan
Mol Cell Proteomics 9:719-27. 2010..In addition, mass spectrometric methodologies to analyze O-glycopeptides were also successful...
- Glycosylation status of the C. albicans cell wall affects the efficiency of neutrophil phagocytosis and killing but not cytokine signalingChirag C Sheth
The Aberdeen Fungal Group, School of Medical Sciences, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Med Mycol 49:513-24. 2011..albicans by human PMNs was therefore investigated. N- and O-glycosylation-deficient mutants were attenuated in binding and phagocytosis by PMNs and this was associated with reduced ..
- Analysis of immunoglobulin glycosylation by LC-ESI-MS of glycopeptides and oligosaccharidesJohannes Stadlmann
Department of Chemistry, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences BOKU, Vienna, Austria
Proteomics 8:2858-71. 2008Two LC-ESI-MS methods for the analysis of antibody glycosylation are presented. In the first approach, tryptic glycopeptides are separated by RP chromatography and analyzed by ESI-MS...
- Optimal and consistent protein glycosylation in mammalian cell culturePatrick Hossler
Process Sciences Upstream, Technical Operations, Bristol Myers Squibb Company, East Syracuse, NY 13057, USA
Glycobiology 19:936-49. 2009..b>Glycosylation is a critical protein quality attribute that can modulate the efficacy of a commercial therapeutic ..
- A novel cerebello-ocular syndrome with abnormal glycosylation due to abnormalities in dolichol metabolismEva Morava
Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Institute for Genetic and Metabolic Disease, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Brain 133:3210-20. 2010..and slowly progressive ophthalmological symptoms are common features in patients with congenital disorders of glycosylation type I...
- Malectin: a novel carbohydrate-binding protein of the endoplasmic reticulum and a candidate player in the early steps of protein N-glycosylationThomas Schallus
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Biol Cell 19:3404-14. 2008N-Glycosylation starts in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) where a 14-sugar glycan composed of three glucoses, nine mannoses, and two N-acetylglucosamines (Glc(3)Man(9)GlcNAc(2)) is transferred to nascent proteins...
- Optimization of humanized IgGs in glycoengineered Pichia pastorisHuijuan Li
GlycoFi Inc 21 Lafayette Street, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03766, USA
Nat Biotechnol 24:210-5. 2006..native state and all clinically approved mAbs are produced by mammalian cell lines, which secrete mAbs with glycosylation structures that are similar, but not identical, to their human counterparts...
- Mammalian glycosylation in immunityJamey D Marth
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 8:874-87. 2008b>Glycosylation produces a diverse and abundant repertoire of glycans, which are collectively known as the glycome...
- Class I alpha-mannosidases are required for N-glycan processing and root development in Arabidopsis thalianaEva Liebminger
Department of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, A 1190 Viena, Austria
Plant Cell 21:3850-67. 2009..These findings show that class I alpha-mannosidases are essential for early N-glycan processing and play a role in root development and cell wall biosynthesis in Arabidopsis...
- Variable loop glycan dependency of the broad and potent HIV-1-neutralizing antibodies PG9 and PG16Katie J Doores
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Virol 84:10510-21. 2010..Antibody neutralization has been shown to be dependent on the presence of N-linked glycosylation at position 160 in gp120...
- In planta protein sialylation through overexpression of the respective mammalian pathwayAlexandra Castilho
Department of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Muthgasse 18, 1190 Vienna, Austria
J Biol Chem 285:15923-30. 2010..Sialylation was at great uniformity when glycosylation mutants that lack plant-specific N-glycan residues were used as expression hosts...
- Dengue virus type 1 nonstructural glycoprotein NS1 is secreted from mammalian cells as a soluble hexamer in a glycosylation-dependent fashionM Flamand
Unité des Arbovirus et Virus des Fièvres Hémorragiques, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, 91198 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
J Virol 73:6104-10. 1999..These results, together with observations related to the absence of secretion of NS1 from Den-infected insect cells, suggest that maturation and secretion of hexameric NS1 depend on the glycosylation status of the host cell.
- A systematic approach to protein glycosylation analysis: a path through the mazeKarina Mariño
Dublin Oxford Glycobiology Laboratory, National Institute for Bioprocessing, Research and Training, University College Dublin Conway Institute, University College Dublin, Belfield, Ireland
Nat Chem Biol 6:713-23. 2010Protein glycosylation is an important post-translational modification. It is a feature that enhances the functional diversity of proteins and influences their biological activity...
- Two novel types of O-glycans on the mugwort pollen allergen Art v 1 and their role in antibody bindingRenaud Leonard
Division of Biochemistry, Department of Chemistry, Universitaet fuer Bodenkultur Wien, Muthgasse 18, A 1190 Vienna, Austria
J Biol Chem 280:7932-40. 2005..sera of some allergic patients react with natural but not with recombinant Art v 1 produced in bacteria, the glycosylation of Art v 1 may play a role in IgE binding and human allergic reactions...
- Dynamic interplay between O-glycosylation and O-phosphorylation of nucleocytoplasmic proteins: alternative glycosylation/phosphorylation of THR-58, a known mutational hot spot of c-Myc in lymphomas, is regulated by mitogensKazuo Kamemura
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 2185, USA
J Biol Chem 277:19229-35. 2002..of Ser-62 to Ala showed a marked decrease of Thr-58 phosphorylation and a marked increase of Thr-58 glycosylation. Growth inhibition of HL60 cells by serum starvation increases Thr-58 glycosylation and correspondingly ..
- N-linked glycosylation attenuates H3N2 influenza virusesDavid J Vigerust
St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 N Lauderdale Street, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
J Virol 81:8593-600. 2007..the last four decades, H3N2 subtype influenza A viruses have gradually acquired additional potential sites for glycosylation within the globular head of the hemagglutinin (HA) protein...
- Reciprocal phosphorylation and glycosylation recognition motifs control NCAPP1 interaction with pumpkin phloem proteins and their cell-to-cell movementKen Ichiro Taoka
Section of Plant Biology, College of Biological Sciences, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Plant Cell 19:1866-84. 2007..Protein overlay assays and coimmunoprecipitation experiments established that phosphorylation and glycosylation, on both Nicotiana tabacum NON-CELL-AUTONOMOUS PATHWAY PROTEIN1 (Nt-NCAPP1) and the phloem NCAPs, are ..
- Selection for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 envelope glycosylation variants with shorter V1-V2 loop sequences occurs during transmission of certain genetic subtypes and may impact viral RNA levelsBhavna Chohan
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, 1100 Fairview Ave N, C3 168 Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
J Virol 79:6528-31. 2005..envelopes have signature sequences that include shorter V1-V2 loop sequences and fewer predicted N-linked glycosylation sites relative to the overall population of circulating variants...
- Improved virus neutralization by plant-produced anti-HIV antibodies with a homogeneous beta1,4-galactosylated N-glycan profileRichard Strasser
Department of Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, 1190 Vienna, Austria
J Biol Chem 284:20479-85. 2009It is well established that proper N-glycosylation significantly influences the efficacy of monoclonal antibodies (mAbs)...
- Negative regulation of T-cell activation and autoimmunity by Mgat5 N-glycosylationM Demetriou
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nature 409:733-9. 2001..Here we demonstrate that a deficiency in beta1,6 N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase V (Mgat5), an enzyme in the N-glycosylation pathway, lowers T-cell activation thresholds by directly enhancing TCR clustering...
- POMT2 mutations cause alpha-dystroglycan hypoglycosylation and Walker-Warburg syndromeJ van Reeuwijk
Department of Human Genetics, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Med Genet 42:907-12. 2005..WWS patients show defective O-glycosylation of alpha-dystroglycan (alpha-DG), which plays a key role in bridging the cytoskeleton of muscle and CNS cells ..
- Structure of an HIV gp120 envelope glycoprotein in complex with the CD4 receptor and a neutralizing human antibodyP D Kwong
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 393:648-59. 1998..Our results provide a framework for understanding the complex biology of HIV entry into cells and should guide efforts to intervene...
- O-GlcNAcylation regulates phosphorylation of tau: a mechanism involved in Alzheimer's diseaseFei Liu
Department of Neurochemistry, New York State Institute for Basic Research in Developmental Disabilities, 1050 Forest Hill Road, Staten Island, NY 10314, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:10804-9. 2004..Here, we demonstrate that human brain tau was modified by O-GlcNAcylation, a type of protein O-glycosylation by which the monosaccharide beta-N-acetylglucosamine (GlcNAc) attaches to serine/threonine residues via an O-..
- Use of combinatorial genetic libraries to humanize N-linked glycosylation in the yeast Pichia pastorisByung Kwon Choi
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:5022-7. 2003The secretory pathway of Pichia pastoris was genetically re-engineered to perform sequential glycosylation reactions that mimic early processing of N-glycans in humans and other higher mammals...
- Glycosylation in cellular mechanisms of health and diseaseKazuaki Ohtsubo
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive MC0625, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell 126:855-67. 2006b>Glycosylation produces an abundant, diverse, and highly regulated repertoire of cellular glycans that are frequently attached to proteins and lipids...
- The role of protein glycosylation in allergyFriedrich Altmann
Divison of Biochemistry, Department of Chemistry, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 142:99-115. 2007..However, currently the occurrence of this O-glycan determinant appears to be rather restricted...
- Refining genotype phenotype correlations in muscular dystrophies with defective glycosylation of dystroglycanCaroline Godfrey
Dubowitz Neuromuscular Unit, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College, London, UK
Brain 130:2725-35. 2007Muscular dystrophies with reduced glycosylation of alpha-dystroglycan (alpha-DG), commonly referred to as dystroglycanopathies, are a heterogeneous group of autosomal recessive conditions which include a wide spectrum of clinical ..
- A comparative study of alpha-dystroglycan glycosylation in dystroglycanopathies suggests that the hypoglycosylation of alpha-dystroglycan does not consistently correlate with clinical severityCecilia Jimenez-Mallebrera
Dubowitz Neuromuscular Centre, Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, UCL, London, UK
Brain Pathol 19:596-611. 2009..These data indicate that it is not always possible to correlate clinical course and alpha-dystroglycan labeling and suggest that there might be differences in alpha-dystroglycan processing in these disorders...
- The role of N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase III and V in the post-transcriptional modifications of E-cadherinSalomé S Pinho
Institute of Molecular Pathology and Immunology of the University of Porto IPATIMUP, Rua Dr Roberto Frias s n, 4200 465 Porto, Portugal
Hum Mol Genet 18:2599-608. 2009..This study opens new insights into the post-transcriptional modifications of E-cadherin in its biological function, in a tumor context...
- Membrane topology of NAADP-sensitive two-pore channels and their regulation by N-linked glycosylationRobert Hooper
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 286:9141-9. 2011..Both TPC1 and TPC2 are N-glycosylated with residues 599, 611, and 616 contributing to glycosylation of TPC1...
- Fc-glycosylation influences Fcγ receptor binding and cell-mediated anti-HIV activity of monoclonal antibody 2G12Donald N Forthal
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of California, Irvine School of Medicine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
J Immunol 185:6876-82. 2010..the nature of the glycan structure on the Fc domain is a critical determinant of Fc-FcγR binding, proper Fc glycosylation may contribute to Ab-mediated protection...
- IgA1-secreting cell lines from patients with IgA nephropathy produce aberrantly glycosylated IgA1Hitoshi Suzuki
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
J Clin Invest 118:629-39. 2008Aberrant glycosylation of IgA1 plays an essential role in the pathogenesis of IgA nephropathy. This abnormality is manifested by a deficiency of galactose in the hinge-region O-linked glycans of IgA1...
- Aberrant IgA1 glycosylation is inherited in familial and sporadic IgA nephropathyAli G Gharavi
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 630 W 168th Street, P and S 10 445 New York, New York 10032, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 19:1008-14. 2008..It is not known whether this aberrant glycosylation is the result of an acquired or inherited defect, or whether the presence of aberrant IgA1 glycoforms alone ..
- Congenital disorders of glycosylation: an update on defects affecting the biosynthesis of dolichol-linked oligosaccharidesMicha A Haeuptle
Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Hum Mutat 30:1628-41. 2009Defects in the biosynthesis of the oligosaccharide precursor for N-glycosylation lead to decreased occupancy of glycosylation sites and thereby to diseases known as congenital disorders of glycosylation (CDG)...
- Critical roles of mucin 1 glycosylation by transactivated polypeptide N-acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 6 in mammary carcinogenesisJae Hyun Park
Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, Human Genome Center, Institute of Medical Science, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Cancer Res 70:2759-69. 2010..a great majority of breast cancers and encodes a glycosyltransferase responsible for initiating mucin-type O-glycosylation. Knockdown of GALNT6 by small interfering RNA significantly enhanced cell adhesion function and suppressed the ..
- Lectin-based proteomic profiling of aged skeletal muscle: decreased pyruvate kinase isozyme M1 exhibits drastically increased levels of N-glycosylationKathleen O'Connell
Department of Biology, National University of Ireland, Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Eur J Cell Biol 87:793-805. 2008Since various neuromuscular diseases are associated with abnormal glycosylation, it was of interest to determine whether this key post-translational modification is also altered in aged skeletal muscle...
- Functional characterization of flagellin glycosylation in Campylobacter jejuni 81-176Cheryl P Ewing
Enteric Diseases Department, Naval Medical Research Center, 503 Robert Grant Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
J Bacteriol 191:7086-93. 2009..jejuni strain 81-176, FlaA, has been shown to be glycosylated at 19 serine or threonine sites, and this glycosylation is required for flagellar filament formation. Some enzymatic components of the glycosylation machinery of C...
- Adaptive regulation at the cell surface by N-glycosylationJames W Dennis
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue R988, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G 1X5
Traffic 10:1569-78. 2009..Computational modelling of the hexosamine/Golgi/lattice has provided new insight on cell surface adaptation in cancer and autoimmune disease...
- Mutants in DEFECTIVE GLYCOSYLATION, an Arabidopsis homolog of an oligosaccharyltransferase complex subunit, show protein underglycosylation and defects in cell differentiation and growthOlivier Lerouxel
Unité Mixte de Recherche 6037 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, IFRMP 23, Faculte des Sciences, Universite de Rouen, 76821 Mont Saint Aignan Cedex, France
Plant J 42:455-68. 2005..with the known function of the OST complex in eukaryotes, the dgl1-1 mutation led to a reduced N-linked glycosylation of the ER-resident protein disulfide isomerase. A second more severe mutant (dgl1-2) was embryo-lethal...
- Patients with IgA nephropathy have increased serum galactose-deficient IgA1 levelsZ Moldoveanu
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Kidney Int 71:1148-54. 2007..5%, with specificity 94%; the positive predictive value was 88.6% and the negative predictive value was 78.9%. We conclude that this lectin-binding assay may have potential as a noninvasive diagnostic test for IgA nephropathy...
- Screening for N-glycosylated proteins by liquid chromatography mass spectrometryJakob Bunkenborg
MDS Proteomics Odense, Denmark
Proteomics 4:454-65. 2004..only one change can be associated with a given residue, many different oligosaccharides can be attached to a glycosylation site residue...
- A novel transgenic silkworm system for recombinant glycoprotein productionDonald L Jarvis; Fiscal Year: 2010..The major impediment is that the endogenous protein glycosylation pathways of the silk gland cannot be expected to properly glycosylate higher eukaryotic glycoproteins...
- A SARS-CoV Spike Protein VaccineB Sim; Fiscal Year: 2005..Region I was selected in part because of paucity of N-glycosylation sites. However, there are 9 such sites in the native sequence...
- In vivo phenotypic effects of naturally occuring sequence variations in WNVRobin M Moudy; Fiscal Year: 2010..one of the domains required for efficient fusion, it is located three amino acids downstream from an N-linked glycosylation site present in the North American strains of WNV and may therefore affect its glycosylation...
- Research and Development of a Novel System to Produce Polysaccharide Conjugate VaPeng Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..The objective of this application is to explore a recently established bacterial protein O-glycosylation system to obtain polysaccharide conjugate vaccines in a facile, efficient, and easily applicable manner...
- Multiplex Fluorescent Zdyes for Differential Glycomic DetectionEDWARD DRATZ; Fiscal Year: 2009Protein posttranslational modifications (PTMs) control much of biology. Glycosylation is one of the most common PTMs and more powerful tools are needed to study the occurrence and relative levels of glycosylation...
- Glycosylation of full-length antibodies in Escherichia coliADAM FISHER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Since monoclonal antibodies require glycosylation to provide full therapeutic benefit, mammalian cell culture is the expression platform of choice...
- Humanizing N-linked glycosylation in Escherichia coliADAM FISHER; Fiscal Year: 2009..One of the most important of these modifications, N-linked protein glycosylation, is predicted to affect more than half of all eukaryotic protein species and is often essential for proper ..
- Lipid Translocating Glycosyltransferases in Congenital Neurological DiseasePETER AB ORLEAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Congenital defects in asparagine-linked glycosylation, protein O-mannosylation, and glycosylphosphatidylinositol membrane anchoring of protein cause abnormal ..
- Protective immunity against HIV: the role of IgG subclass and glycosylationDonald Forthal; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will investigate two biological properties of antibody, IgG subclass and Fc glycosylation, that impact its ability to bind to Fc?Rs and consequently to inhibit HIV-1...
- Molecular basis of congenital disorders of glycosylation: mechanisms of oligosachSmita Mohanty; Fiscal Year: 2010..defects in this modification pathway in humans cause a class of disorders known as congenital disorders of glycosylation (CDG)...
- Profiling Urine Glycosylation of PSA and other Glyco-Biomarkers in Prostate CanceLewis Pannell; Fiscal Year: 2009..Both PSA and PAP are glycosylated and changes in glycosylation go hand-in-hand with cancer...
- GLYCOSYLATION MECHANISMSCARLOS HIRSCHBERG; Fiscal Year: 2000..of this research proposal are the following: (a) To understand the cellular mechanisms which regulate the glycosylation of proteins and lipids in the rough endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus and, (b) to establish the role ..
- NUCLEOTIDE DONORS AFFECTING GLYCOSYLATION PATHWAYSAjit Varki; Fiscal Year: 2003All living cells synthesize glycan chains. The process of glycosylation is catalyzed by highly specific glycosyltransferases that require specific sugar nucleotide donors...
- Model Vaccines Exploiting Fungal MannosylationSTUART LEVITZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..Cryptococcal MP contain serine/threonine (S/T)-rich regions which serve as sites for extensive O-linked glycosylation as well as N-X-S/T sequons that serve as N-glycosylation sites...
- Probing the Glycan Biosynthetic Machinery of Campylobacter Jejuni.JERRY TROUTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009N-linked protein glycosylation, the formation of a glycosylamide bond between an oligosaccharide and an asparagine side chain, is an essential protein modification required for the function, folding and routing of cell surface receptors,..
- Chemical tools to understand and target Helicobacter pylori glycosylationDanielle H Dube; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although Hp's glycans and glycosylation machinery are linked to pathogenesis, Hp's glycome remains poorly understood...
- IgA-secreting B cell lines: a novel tool for studies of IgA nephropathyJan Novak; Fiscal Year: 2009..Several lines of evidence suggest a direct causal relationship between aberrant glycosylation, the formation of immune complexes containing aberrantly glycosylated IgA1, their deposition in the mesangium, ..
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF MUCIN TYPE O GLYCOSYLATIONMichael Hollingsworth; Fiscal Year: 2000..GaINAc) by an O-glycosidic linkage to serine and threonine residues (the first step in mucin-type glycosylation) show distinct specificities for some substrates and common specificities for other substrates (albeit with ..
- Molecular biology of TPPI/CLN2 proteinAdam Golabek; Fiscal Year: 2006..We propose to further elucidate the role of N-glycosylation in the trafficking of TPP I as well as to determine whether and how N-glycosylation affects folding, activity, ..