Genomes and Genes
Summary: The process of converting an acid into an alkyl or aryl derivative. Most frequently the process consists of the reaction of an acid with an alcohol in the presence of a trace of mineral acid as catalyst or the reaction of an acyl chloride with an alcohol. Esterification can also be accomplished by enzymatic processes.
Publications278 found, 100 shown here
- A lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase-like gene mediates diacylglycerol esterification in yeastP Oelkers
Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 275:15609-12. 2000The terminal step in triglyceride biosynthesis is the esterification of diacylglycerol...
- Homogalacturonan methyl-esterification and plant developmentSebastian Wolf
Heidelberg Institute for Plant Science, Im Neuenheimer Feld 360, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Plant 2:851-60. 2009..This review will focus on recent findings regarding impact of homogalacturonan content and methyl-esterification status of this polymer on plant life...
- Arabidopsis phyllotaxis is controlled by the methyl-esterification status of cell-wall pectinsAlexis Peaucelle
Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire, Institut Jean Pierre Bourgin, INRA Centre de Versailles Grignon, Versailles, France
Curr Biol 18:1943-8. 2008..the formation of flower primordia in the Arabidopsis shoot apical meristem is accompanied by the de-methyl-esterification of pectic polysaccharides in the cell walls...
- Cell wall components and pectin esterification levels as markers of proliferation and differentiation events during pollen development and pollen embryogenesis in Capsicum annuum LIvett Bárány
Plant Development and Nuclear Architecture group, Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas, CIB, CSIC, E 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Exp Bot 61:1159-75. 2010..The wall changes reported are characteristic of proliferation and differentiation events as markers of these processes that take place during pollen development and embryogenesis...
- Methyl esterification of pectin plays a role during plant-pathogen interactions and affects plant resistance to diseasesVincenzo Lionetti
Dipartimento di Biologia e Biotecnologie Charles Darwin, Sapienza Universita di Roma, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
J Plant Physiol 169:1623-30. 2012..The degree and pattern of methyl esterification affect the cell wall structure and properties with consequences on both the physiological processes of the ..
- The ectopic expression of a pectin methyl esterase inhibitor increases pectin methyl esterification and limits fungal diseases in wheatChiara Volpi
Department of Agrobiology and Agrochemistry, University of Tuscia, Viterbo, Italy
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 24:1012-9. 2011Cell wall pectin methyl esterification can influence plant resistance because highly methyl-esterified pectin can be less susceptible to the hydrolysis by pectic enzymes such as fungal endopolygalacturonases (PG)...
- Selection of direct transesterification as the preferred method for assay of fatty acid content of microalgaeM J Griffiths
Centre for Bioprocess Engineering Research, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, Cape Town, 7701, South Africa
Lipids 45:1053-60. 2010..The two-catalyst reaction was insensitive to water up to 10% of total reaction volume. DT proved a convenient and more accurate method than the extraction techniques for quantifying total fatty acid content in microalgae...
- Microdiesel: Escherichia coli engineered for fuel productionRainer Kalscheuer
Institut fur Molekulare Mikrobiologie und Biotechnologie, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Corrensstrasse 3, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Microbiology 152:2529-36. 2006..By this approach, ethanol formation was combined with subsequent esterification of the ethanol with the acyl moieties of coenzyme A thioesters of fatty acids if the cells were cultivated ..
- Restricted cell elongation in Arabidopsis hypocotyls is associated with a reduced average pectin esterification levelPaul Derbyshire
Department of Metabolic Biology, John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK
BMC Plant Biol 7:31. 2007..Dicotyledonous primary (growing) cell walls contain cellulose, xyloglucan, pectin and proteins, but little is known about how each polymer class contributes to the cell wall mechanical properties that control extensibility...
- Overexpression of carnitine palmitoyltransferase I in skeletal muscle in vivo increases fatty acid oxidation and reduces triacylglycerol esterificationClinton R Bruce
Diabetes and Obesity Research Program, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Darlinghurst
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E1231-7. 2007..05). These studies demonstrate that acute overexpression of CPT I in muscle leads to a repartitioning of FAs away from esterification and toward oxidation and highlight the importance of CPT I in regulating muscle FA metabolism.
- Migration of MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells depends on the availability of exogenous lipids and cholesterol esterificationCaryl J Antalis
Methodist Research Institute, IU Health, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Clin Exp Metastasis 28:733-41. 2011..This data substantiates the association of lipid accumulation with aggressive behavior in an ER-breast cancer cell line...
- All-trans-retinyl esters are the substrates for isomerization in the vertebrate visual cycleDeviprasad R Gollapalli
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, 45 Shattuck Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Biochemistry 42:5809-18. 2003..The converse is true with vitamin A. These data unambiguously establish all-trans-retinyl esters as the precursors of 11-cis-retinol...
- Esterification of okadaic acid in the mussel Mytilus galloprovincialisAraceli E Rossignoli
Centro de Investigacións Mariñas CIMA, Pedras de Corón, s n Apdo 13, 36620 Vilanova de Arousa Pontevedra, Spain
Toxicon 57:712-20. 2011..Other aspects of the relationship between depuration and acylation are also discussed...
- Signaling through cholesterol esterification: a new pathway for the cholecystokinin 2 receptor involved in cell growth and invasionMichael R Paillasse
INSERM 563, Equipe Métabolisme, Oncogenése et Différenciation Cellulaire, Centre de Physiopathologie de Toulouse Purpan, Institut Claudius Regaud, Toulouse France
J Lipid Res 50:2203-11. 2009Several studies indicate that cholesterol esterification is deregulated in cancers...
- Human ATP-binding cassette transporter-2 (ABCA2) positively regulates low-density lipoprotein receptor expression and negatively regulates cholesterol esterification in Chinese hamster ovary cellsWarren Davis
Department of Pharmacology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1683:89-100. 2004..We measured an LDL dose-dependent reduction in esterification of LDL-FC in intact CHOA2 cells cultured in medium containing LPDS, however, no significant difference was ..
- Wall-associated kinase WAK1 interacts with cell wall pectins in a calcium-induced conformationAnnabelle Decreux
FUNDP, Unité de Recherche en Biologie Végétale, 61 rue de Bruxelles, 5000 Namur, Belgium
Plant Cell Physiol 46:268-78. 2005..The relevance of this non-covalent link between WAK(67-254) and cell wall pectins is discussed in terms of cell elongation, cell differentiation and host-pathogen interactions...
- Process optimization for biodiesel production from mahua (Madhuca indica) oil using response surface methodologyShashikant Vilas Ghadge
Agricultural and Food Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur 721 302, India
Bioresour Technol 97:379-84. 2006..7% w/v KOH as an alkaline catalyst to produce biodiesel. The fuel properties of mahua biodiesel so obtained complied the requirements of both the American and European standards for biodiesel...
- Sterol esterification in yeast: a two-gene processH Yang
Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, 10032, USA
Science 272:1353-6. 1996..With the use of a consensus sequence to the yeast and human genes, an additional number of the ACAT gene family was identified in humans...
- Increased fatty acid re-esterification by PEPCK overexpression in adipose tissue leads to obesity without insulin resistanceSylvie Franckhauser
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Veterinary Medicine and Center of Animal Biotechnology and Gene Therapy, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
Diabetes 51:624-30. 2002Adipose tissue glyceroneogenesis generates glycerol 3-phosphate, which could be used for fatty acid esterification during starvation...
- Insulin increases FA uptake and esterification but reduces lipid utilization in isolated contracting muscleD J Dyck
Department of Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1G 2W1
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 281:E600-7. 2001..05), corresponding to enhanced DG (+60%, P < 0.05) and TG (+61%, P < 0.05) esterification, but blunted palmitate oxidation (-38%, P < 0.05) and TG hydrolysis (-34%, P < 0.05)...
- Antiprion activity of cholesterol esterification modulators: a comparative study using ex vivo sheep fibroblasts and lymphocytes and mouse neuroblastoma cell linesAlessandra Pani
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Technologies, University of Cagliari, 09042 Monserrato, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:4141-7. 2007..These data confirm our hypothesis that abnormal accumulation of cholesterol esters may represent a biological marker of susceptibility to prion infection/replication and a novel molecular target of potential clinical importance...
- Coordinated regulation of esterification and lipolysis by palmitate, H2O2 and the anti-diabetic sulfonylurea drug, glimepiride, in rat adipocytesGünter Müller
Sanofi Aventis Pharma, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 597:6-18. 2008..the involvement of H2O2 production, GPI-PLC activation and translocation of Gce1 and CD73 in the agent-induced esterification and accompanying lipid droplet formation was tested in rat adipocytes using relevant inhibitors...
- Regulation of the enzymes of hepatic microsomal triacylglycerol lipolysis and re-esterification by the glucocorticoid dexamethasoneVernon W Dolinsky
Department of Biochemistry and CIHR Group on the Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2S2
Biochem J 378:967-74. 2004..Intracellular stored TAG (triacylglycerol) undergoes an initial lipolysis followed by re-esterification of the lipolytic products to form TAG prior to their incorporation into a VLDL particle...
- Delivery of 5-azacytidine to human cancer cells by elaidic acid esterification increases therapeutic drug efficacyBodo Brueckner
Division of Epigenetics, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Mol Cancer Ther 9:1256-64. 2010..Together, these data represent a detailed characterization of the CP-4200 mode of action and suggest that elaidic acid modification improves the therapeutic efficacy of azacytidine...
- Reverse cholesterol transport--a review of the process and its clinical implicationsS A Hill
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation, Canada
Clin Biochem 30:517-25. 1997....
- Fractional esterification rate of cholesterol and ratio of triglycerides to HDL-cholesterol are powerful predictors of positive findings on coronary angiographyJiri Frohlich
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Healthy Heart Program Lipid Clinic, St Paul s Hospital, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6, Canada
Clin Chem 49:1873-80. 2003..we assessed the value of the ratio of plasma triglyceride (TGs) to HDL-cholesterol (HDL-C) and the fractional esterification rate of cholesterol in plasma depleted of apolipoprotein B (apoB)-containing lipoproteins (FER(HDL)), a ..
- Deficiency in ethanolamine plasmalogen leads to altered cholesterol transportNatalie J Munn
Department of Physiology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Lipid Res 44:182-92. 2003..Future work must determine the precise role that plasmalogens have on cholesterol transport to the endoplasmic reticulum...
- Microsomal triglyceride transfer protein enhances cellular cholesteryl esterification by relieving product inhibitionJahangir Iqbal
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Pediatrics, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
J Biol Chem 283:19967-80. 2008..Chemical inhibition of MTP also decreases esterification of cholesterol in Caco-2 and HepG2 cells...
- High muscle lipid content in obesity is not due to enhanced activation of key triglyceride esterification enzymes or the suppression of lipolytic proteinsMinghua Li
School of Kinesiology, Univ of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 48109 2214, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 300:E699-707. 2011..05). In contrast, the activity and protein abundance of key enzymes that regulate the esterification of IMTG (i.e., glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase and diacylglycerol acyltransferase) were not elevated...
- Kinetics feasibility study of alcohol sulfate esterification reactions in tropospheric aerosolsEmily C Minerath
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, 119 Woodland Street, Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio 44074, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:4410-5. 2008..Nuclear magnetic resonance methods were used to monitor the bulk reaction kinetics of sulfate esterification reactions for a number of simple alcohols...
- lipase-catalyzed regioselective esterification of rapamycin: synthesis of temsirolimus (CCI-779)Jianxin Gu
Department of Bioprocess Development, Wyeth Research, 401 North Middletown Road, Pearl River, NY 10965, USA
Org Lett 7:3945-8. 2005..The method was successfully applied to the synthesis of 42-hemiesters and temsirolimus (CCI-779), an investigational oncology drug.[reaction: see text]..
- Rapid de-esterification and loss of eicosapentaenoic acid from rat brain phospholipids: an intracerebroventricular studyChuck T Chen
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Neurochem 116:363-73. 2011..In conclusion, the low concentration of EPA in brain phospholipids may be the result of extensive metabolism of EPA, in part by β-oxidation, upon entry into the brain and upon de-esterification from phospholipids.
- Evaluation of the catalytic activity of lipases immobilized on chrysotile for esterificationJane E S Silva
Universidade Regional de Blumenau, Departamento de Quimica, Campus I 89010 971, Blumenau, SC, Brasil
An Acad Bras Cienc 75:157-62. 2003..niger and Candida rugosa) were immobilized on chrysotile, an inexpensive magnesium silicate, and used for esterification of hexanoic, octanoic and lauric acid with methanol, ethanol, 1-butanol and 1-octanol at 25 C in hexane as ..
- Regulation of plasma cholesterol esterification by sphingomyelin: effect of physiological variations of plasma sphingomyelin on lecithin-cholesterol acyltransferase activityPapasani Venkata Subbaiah
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1821:908-13. 2012..These results show that SM is a physiological modulator of LCAT activity as well as plasma CE composition, and this may contribute to the previously reported pro-atherogenic effect of high plasma SM levels...
- Methyl esterification of C-terminal leucine residues in cytosolic 36-kDa polypeptides of bovine brain. A novel eucaryotic protein carboxyl methylation reactionH Xie
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles 90024
J Biol Chem 268:13364-71. 1993..cytosolic extracts of bovine brain with S-adenosyl[methyl-3H]methionine results in the predominant [3H]methyl esterification of a 36-kDa polypeptide...
- Lipase catalyzed interesterification of palm stearin and rice bran oil blends for preparation of zero trans shortening with bioactive phytochemicalsM V Reshma
National Institute for Interdisciplinary Science and Technology, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Trivandrum 695 019, India
Bioresour Technol 99:5011-9. 2008..XRD studies demonstrated that the interesterified blends contained beta and beta' polymorphic forms...
- Fat-specific transgenic expression of resistin in the spontaneously hypertensive rat impairs fatty acid re-esterificationM Pravenec
Institute of Physiology, Czech Academy of Sciences and Center for Applied Genomics, Prague, Czech Republic
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:1157-9. 2006..To investigate the mechanism by which fat-specific transgenic expression of resistin affects fatty acid metabolism in the spontaneously hypertensive rat (SHR)...
- Estradiol fatty acid esterification is increased in high density lipoprotein subclass 3 isolated from hypertriglyceridemic subjectsAnna Höckerstedt
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, FIN 00290 Helsinki, Finland
Atherosclerosis 185:264-70. 2006..Our previous studies in normotriglyceridemic (NTG) individuals demonstrated that estradiol (E2) esterification occurred mainly in HDL3 causing accumulation of esterified, but not of unesterified E2 in the lipoprotein ..
- Retinoic acid homeostasis: retinoic acid regulates liver retinol esterification as well as its own catabolic oxidation in liverG Wolf
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
Nutr Rev 59:391-4. 2001..RA also induces the expression in liver of the mRNA for CYP26, the enzyme that disposes of excess RA by oxidizing RA to 4-oxo-RA. CYP26 is downregulated upon vitamin A depletion...
- Esterification of vertebrate-type steroids in the Eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica)Gemma Janer
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB CSIC, Jordi Girona 18, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Steroids 69:129-36. 2004..The apparent Km and Vmax values for esterification of E2 with the six fatty acid acyl-CoAs tested (C20:4, C18:2, C18:1, C16:1, C18:0, and C16:0) were in the ..
- Esterification and hydrolytic activities of Candida rugosa lipase isoform 1 (LIP1) immobilized on celite 545, duolite A7, and sephadex G-25Stephen E Lumor
Department of Food Science and Technology, Food Science Building, The University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602 7610, USA
J Agric Food Chem 56:10396-8. 2008The esterification and hydrolytic activities of free and immobilized Candida rugosa lipase isoform 1 (LIP1) were investigated...
- Iodine-catalyzed one-pot acetalation-esterification reaction for the preparation of orthogonally protected glycosidesRachel A Jones
School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1TS, UK
Carbohydr Res 345:1842-5. 2010An iodine-catalyzed one-pot tandem acetalation-esterification reaction of thio- and O-glycosides has been developed providing a fast and mild route to orthogonally protected glycosides ready to be used as building blocks in glycosylation ..
- Oxidation rate of conjugated linoleic acid and conjugated linolenic acid is slowed by triacylglycerol esterification and alpha-tocopherolTsuyoshi Tsuzuki
Food and Biodynamic Chemistry Laboratory, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Lipids 39:475-80. 2004..Addition of an antioxidant (alpha-tocopherol) also increased the stability of the conjugated FA to a level similar to that of the unconjugated FA...
- Pregnenolone esterification in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. A potential detoxification mechanismG Cauet
Transgene SA, Strasbourg, France
Eur J Biochem 261:317-24. 1999..Disruption of ATF2 led to the complete elimination of APAT activity and consequently abolished the esterification of pregnenolone. In addition, a toxic effect of pregnenolone linked to the disruption of ATF2 was observed...
- Esterification does not impair lutein bioavailability in humansPhyllis E Bowen
Department of Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Chicago, USA
J Nutr 132:3668-73. 2002....
- Cholesterol esterification and atherogenic index of plasma correlate with lipoprotein size and findings on coronary angiographyMilada Dobiásová
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
J Lipid Res 52:566-71. 2011We examined the association between rate of cholesterol esterification in plasma depleted of apolipoprotein B-containing lipoproteins (FER(HDL)), atherogenic index of plasma (AIP) [(log (TG/HDL-C)], concentrations, and size of ..
- Alzheimer's peptides A beta 1-40 and A beta 1-28 inhibit the plasma cholesterol esterification rateA R Koudinov
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, NY 10016, USA
Biochem Mol Biol Int 38:747-52. 1996..both Alzheimer's disease and Down's syndrome share another common feature: the decrease in plasma cholesterol esterification in affected individuals...
- Enzymatic interesterification of butterfat with rapeseed oil in a continuous packed bed reactorTorben H Rønne
BioCentrum DTU, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark
J Agric Food Chem 53:5617-24. 2005..However, the release of short-chain fatty acids from enzymatic reactions makes the sensory quality unacceptable for direct edible applications...
- Gelation of high-methoxy pectin by enzymic de-esterification in the presence of calcium ions: a preliminary evaluationAileen B O'Brien
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork, Ireland
Carbohydr Res 344:1818-23. 2009Cohesive gels have been obtained by de-esterification of 1...
- Cholesteryl ester transfer and cholesterol esterification in type 1 diabetes: relationships with plasma glucoseC K Chang
OSU Nutrition Program, Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
Acta Diabetol 38:37-42. 2001..The results observed in type 1 diabetic subjects suggest that (1) accelerated LCAT and CETP activities may result in the accumulation of LDL-cholesteryl ester; and (2) fasting plasma glucose may be a major determinant of CETP activity...
- Cholesterol esterification by ACAT2 is essential for efficient intestinal cholesterol absorption: evidence from thoracic lymph duct cannulationTam M Nguyen
Department of Pathology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
J Lipid Res 53:95-104. 2012The hypothesis tested in this study was that cholesterol esterification by ACAT2 would increase cholesterol absorption efficiency by providing cholesteryl ester (CE) for incorporation into chylomicrons...
- Spatial regulation of cell-wall structure in response to heavy metal stress: cadmium-induced alteration of the methyl-esterification pattern of homogalacturonansOlfa Douchiche
Laboratory Glyco Mev, SCUEOR, IFRMP 23, University of Rouen, 76821 Mont Saint Aignan Cedex, France
Ann Bot 105:481-91. 2010..2F4 monoclonal antibodies were used, in addition to JIM5 and JIM7, to extend the investigation on the methyl-esterification pattern of HGA within various domains of the cortical tissues, including the cortical parenchyma where cell ..
- Biodiesel production by heterogeneous catalysts and supercritical technologiesJin Suk Lee
Bioenergy Research Center, Korea Institute of Energy Research, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon, Republic of Korea
Bioresour Technol 101:7191-200. 2010..The current status and challenging issues for these two technologies are, therefore, reviewed in this work as innovative biodiesel production technologies...
- Biological treatment of wastewater discharged from biodiesel fuel production plant with alkali-catalyzed transesterificationKen Ichiro Suehara
Department of Information Machines and Interfaces, Faculty of Information Sciences, Hiroshima City University, 3 4 1 Ohzukahigashi, Asaminami ku, Hiroshima 731 3194, Japan
J Biosci Bioeng 100:437-42. 2005..This treatment system is simple because no controllers, except for a temperature, are necessary. These results suggest that the biological treatment system developed for BDF wastewater is useful for small-scale BDF production plants...
- Microencapsulated mycelium-bound tannase from Aspergillus niger: an efficient catalyst for esterification of propyl gallate in organic solventsXiao Wei Yu
Zhejiang University, College of Life Science, Yuquan Campus, Hangzhou 310027, P R China
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 126:177-87. 2005Microencapsulated Aspergillus niger with mycelium-bound tannase activity was employed to investigate the esterification of propyl gallate from gallic acid and propanol in organic solvents...
- Effects of tryptic peptide esterification in MALDI mass spectrometryTae Young Kim
Department of Chemistry, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
Anal Chem 77:4185-93. 2005The effect of esterification on MALDI ion yield is investigated by using alcohols having different aliphatic chain lengths...
- Optimization of direct conversion of wet algae to biodiesel under supercritical methanol conditionsPrafulla D Patil
Chemical Engineering Department, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM 88003, USA
Bioresour Technol 102:118-22. 2011..vol.) ratio of around 1:9, reaction temperature and time of about 255 °C, and 25 min respectively. This single-step process can potentially be an energy efficient and economical route for algal biodiesel production...
- Fatty acid esterification in the yolk sac membrane of the avian embryoK A Powell
Avian Science Research Centre, SAC, Auchincruive, Ayr, KA6 5HW, UK
J Comp Physiol B 174:163-8. 2004..the published morphological evidence supports the view that the lipid undergoes a cycle of hydrolysis and re-esterification during translocation across the YSM...
- Suppression of macrophage eicosanoid synthesis by atherogenic lipoproteins is profoundly affected by cholesterol-fatty acyl esterification and the Niemann-Pick C pathway of lipid traffickingAndrew R Leventhal
Department of Medicine and Anatomy and Cell Biology, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Biol Chem 279:8084-92. 2004..In this study, we first show that the cholesterol-fatty acyl esterification reaction, catalyzed by acyl-CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase (ACAT), competes for the incorporation of ..
- Tri16 is required for esterification of position C-8 during trichothecene mycotoxin production by Fusarium sporotrichioidesAndrew W Peplow
Department of Plant Pathology and Microbiology, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:5935-40. 2003..We also report the presence of a Tri16 ortholog in Gibberella pulicaris R-6380 that is likely linked to a presumably inactive ortholog for Tri1...
- Hydrogenated fat consumption affects acylation-stimulating protein levels and cholesterol esterification rates in moderately hypercholesterolemic womenN R Matthan
Cardiovascular Nutrition Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Lipid Res 42:1841-8. 2001To determine whether hydrogenated fat consumption alters triglyceride metabolism and cholesterol esterification rates, 14 women (65-71 years of age) were provided with each of four diets for 5-week periods according to a randomized cross-..
- Fuel selection in Wistar rats exposed to cold: shivering thermogenesis diverts fatty acids from re-esterification to oxidationEric Vaillancourt
University of Ottawa, Department of Biology, 30 Marie Curie, PO Box 450, Station A, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1N 6N5
J Physiol 587:4349-59. 2009..acids (palmitate) are affected similarly, and (3) whether the partitioning between fatty acid oxidation and re-esterification is altered by cold exposure...
- Effect of clofibrate administration on the esterification and deesterification of steroid hormones by liver and extrahepatic tissues in ratsShiyao Xu
Laboratory for Cancer Research, Department of Chemical Biology, College of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854 8020, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 63:985-92. 2002Treatment of rats with clofibrate markedly stimulated the liver microsomal esterification of estradiol, testosterone, pregnenolone, dehydroepiandrosterone, and corticosterone by acyl-CoA:steroid acyltransferase...
- Improved enrichment strategies for phosphorylated peptides on titanium dioxide using methyl esterification and pH gradient elutionEric S Simon
National Resource for Proteomics and Pathways, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Anal Biochem 377:234-42. 2008..However, we also discovered several novel sites of partial phosphorylation at S46, T47, T165, and Y168 when ion-suppressing nonphosphorylated peptides were eliminated using the new protocols...
- In situ alkaline transesterification of cottonseed oil for production of biodiesel and nontoxic cottonseed mealJunfeng Qian
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Nanjing University of Technology, Nanjing 210009, People s Republic of China
Bioresour Technol 99:9009-12. 2008..The free and total gossypol contents in the cottonseed meal obtained from in situ alkaline transesterification were far below the FAO standard. And the nontoxic cottonseed meal could be used as animal protein feed resources...
- Investigation to biodiesel production by the two-step homogeneous base-catalyzed transesterificationJianchu Ye
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian, China
Bioresour Technol 101:7368-74. 2010....
- Treatment of glycerol phase formed by biodiesel productionMartin Hájek
Department of Physical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemical Technology, University of Pardubice, Studentska 573, 532 10 Pardubice, Czech Republic
Bioresour Technol 101:3242-5. 2010..The process of treatment is easy and environmentally friendly, because no special chemicals or equipment are required and all products are utilizable...
- Effect of water activity and immobilization on fatty acid selectivity for esterification reactions mediated by lipasesC H Lee
Department of Food Science, University of Wisconsin, Babcock Hall, 1605 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 75:219-27. 2001..formerly Pseudomonas) cepacia, Rhizomucor miehei, Candida antarctica (type B), and Candida rugosa lipases in esterification reactions was determined...
- Synthesis of terpinyl acetate by lipase-catalyzed esterification in supercritical carbon dioxideEan Tun Liaw
Department of Food Science, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Pingtung 91201, Taiwan
Bioresour Technol 101:3320-4. 2010..An esterification extent of 53.0% was obtained in continuous operation using acetic anhydride as acyl donor and C...
- Anaerobic co-digestion of glycerol and wastewater derived from biodiesel manufacturingJ A Siles
Departamento de Química Inorgánica e Ingeniería Química, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Cordoba, Campus Universitario de Rabanales, Cordoba, Spain
Bioresour Technol 101:6315-21. 2010..55 mL CH(4)/(g VSS g COD h). The results showed that anaerobic co-digestion reduces the clean water and nutrient requirement, with the consequent economical and environmental benefit...
- Esterification of xanthophylls by human intestinal Caco-2 cellsTatsuya Sugawara
Division of Applied Biosciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kitashirakawa Oiwakecho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Arch Biochem Biophys 483:205-12. 2009..The aim of the present study was to investigate the enzymatic esterification of xanthophylls, especially peridinin which is uniquely present in dinoflagellates, using differentiated ..
- Rational design of Pseudozyma antarctica lipase B yielding a general esterification catalystDanni Liu
Institute of Technical Biochemistry, Universitat Stuttgart, Allmandring 31, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
Chembiochem 11:789-95. 2010..Thus the new biocatalysts can be used for efficient transformation of racemic alcohols and esters with high activity when the high stereoselectivity of the wild-type hampers complete conversion of racemic substrates in a short time...
- The molecular basis of lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase deficiency syndromes: a comprehensive study of molecular and biochemical findings in 13 unrelated Italian familiesLaura Calabresi
Center E Grossi Paoletti, Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milano, 20133 Milan, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1972-8. 2005..To better understand the role of lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase (LCAT) in lipoprotein metabolism through the genetic and biochemical characterization of families carrying mutations in the LCAT gene...
- Biodiesel synthesis via esterification of feedstock with high content of free fatty acidsMarcella S Souza
Escola de Quimica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 154:74-88. 2009The objective of this work was to study the synthesis of ethyl esters via esterification of soybean oil deodorizer distillate with ethanol, using solid acid catalysts and commercial immobilized lipases, in a solvent-free system...
- Apple procyanidins decrease cholesterol esterification and lipoprotein secretion in Caco-2/TC7 enterocytesRomain Vidal
Unité Mixte de Recherche 505, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Université Pierre et Marie Curie Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, 75006 Paris, France
J Lipid Res 46:258-68. 2005..Our results clearly demonstrate that apple, but not wine, polyphenol extract dose-dependently decreases the esterification of cholesterol and the enterocyte secretion of lipoproteins...
- Treatment of biodiesel production wastes with simultaneous electricity generation using a single-chamber microbial fuel cellYujie Feng
State Key Laboratory of Urban Water Resource and Environment, Harbin Institute of Technology, No 73 Huanghe Road, Nangang District, Harbin 150090, China
Bioresour Technol 102:411-5. 2011..Coulombic efficiencies (CEs) increased from 8.8 ± 0.6% with carbon cloth anode to 10.4 ± 0.9% and 18.7 ± 0.9% with carbon brush anode and heat-treated carbon brush anode, respectively...
- Production and characterization of poly-3-hydroxybutyrate from biodiesel-glycerol by Burkholderia cepacia ATCC 17759Chengjun Zhu
Dept of Environmental and Forest Biology, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Biotechnol Prog 26:424-30. 2010..1)H-NMR revealed that molecular masses decreased due to the esterification of glycerol with PHB resulting in chain termination (end-capping)...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha reduces cholesterol esterification in macrophagesG Chinetti
UR 545 INSERM, Institut Pasteur de Lille and Université de Lille 2, Lille, France
Circ Res 92:212-7. 2003..In these cells, PPARalpha activation reduced cholesterol esterification rates and Acyl-CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase-1 (ACAT1) activity...
- Oxidized LDL activates phospholipase A2 to supply fatty acids required for cholesterol esterificationSatoshi Akiba
Department of Pathological Biochemistry, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
J Lipid Res 44:1676-85. 2003..induces cPLA2 activation, which contributes, at least in part, to the supply of fatty acids required for the cholesteryl esterification, probably through the acceleration by oxidized lipids of the catalytic action of cPLA2 in macrophages.
- Neuronal cholesterol esterification by ACAT1 in Alzheimer's diseaseTa Yuan Chang
Department of Biochemistry, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
IUBMB Life 62:261-7. 2010..between cholesterol and Alzheimer's disease (AD), focusing on a recent study that links neuronal cholesterol esterification with biosynthesis of 24(S)-hydroxycholesterol and the fate of human amyloid precursor protein in a mouse model ..
- Haptoglobin binds apolipoprotein E and influences cholesterol esterification in the cerebrospinal fluidAlfonso Salvatore
Dipartimento delle Scienze Biologiche Università di Napoli Federico II, Mezzocannone, Napoli, Italia
J Neurochem 110:255-63. 2009..which is involved in stimulating the enzyme lecithin-cholesterol acyltransferase (LCAT) for cholesterol esterification. This binding was shown to protect ApoA-I against hydroxyl radicals, thus preventing loss of ApoA-I function ..
- Different kinetics of cholesterol delivery to components of the cholesterol homeostatic machinery: implications for cholesterol trafficking to the endoplasmic reticulumIka Kristiana
BABS, School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, Biosciences Building D26, University of New South Wales, Sydney, 2052, Australia
Biochim Biophys Acta 1781:724-30. 2008..Du, Y.H. Pham and A.J. Brown, Effects of 25-hydroxycholesterol on cholesterol esterification and SREBP processing are dissociable: implications for cholesterol movement to the regulatory pool in the ..
- Acyloxymethyl esterification of nodularin-R and microcystin-LA produces inactive protoxins that become reactivated and produce apoptosis inside intact cellsLars Herfindal
Translational Signaling Group, Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Jonas Lies vei 91, N 5009 Bergen, Norway
J Med Chem 52:5758-62. 2009We report the esterification of the carboxyl groups of the cyclic peptide toxins nodularin-R and microcystin-LA to produce stable diacetoxymethyl and dipropionyloxymethyl ester derivatives...
- Dynamin is involved in endolysosomal cholesterol delivery to the endoplasmic reticulum: role in cholesterol homeostasisPeggy Robinet
Laboratoire de biochimie appliquée, UFR de Pharmacie, Chatenay Malabry, Paris, France
Traffic 7:811-23. 2006..Our data therefore indicate that dynamin plays a critical role in the delivery of cholesterol from the LE/lysosomal network to the ER and highlight the importance of LE trafficking in cholesterol homeostasis...
- Deficiency of adenosine kinase activity affects the degree of pectin methyl-esterification in cell walls of Arabidopsis thalianaL A R Pereira
Department of Biology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada
Planta 224:1401-14. 2006Pectin methyl-esterification is catalysed by S-adenosyl-L: -methionine (SAM)-dependent methyltransferases. As deficiency in adenosine kinase (ADK; EC 2.7.1...
- Enzymatic modification of cassava starch by bacterial lipaseAkhila Rajan
Polymer Section, Chemical Science Division, Regional Research Laboratory CSIR, Trivandrum, 695 019, India
Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 29:65-71. 2006..Reactions performed with palmitic acid by liquid-state and microwave esterification gave a degree of substitution (DS) of 62.08% (DS 1.45) and 42.06% (DS 0.98), respectively...
- Enzymatic esterification of starch using recovered coconut oilAkhila Rajan
Polymer Section, Chemical Science Division, Regional Research Laboratory CSIR, Trivandrum, India
Int J Biol Macromol 39:265-72. 2006Modification of maize and cassava starches was done using recovered coconut oil and microbial lipase. Microwave esterification was advantageous as it gave a DS 1.55 and 1.1 for maize starch and cassava starch, respectively...
- Comparison of two-phase lipase-catalyzed esterification on micro and bench scaleJan W Swarts
Wageningen University and Research Centre, Food and Bioprocess Engineering Group, Bomenweg 2, 6703 HD Wageningen, The Netherlands
Biotechnol Bioeng 99:855-61. 2008Lipase type B from Candida antarctica was used to catalyze the esterification of propionic acid and 1-butanol in a water/n-decane two-phase system on micro and on bench scale...
- Methyl esterification assisted MALDI FTMS characterization of the orcokinin neuropeptide familyMingming Ma
School of Pharmacy and Department of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53705 2222, USA
Anal Chem 79:673-81. 2007Methyl esterification of a peptide converts carboxylic acids, such as those present on the side chains of aspartic (D) and glutamic acid (E) as well as the free carboxyl terminus, to their corresponding methyl esters...
- Differences in endogenous esterification and retention in the rat trachea between budesonide and ciclesonide active metaboliteKristina Lexmüller
AstraZeneca Research and Development Lund, Lund, Sweden
Drug Metab Dispos 35:1788-96. 2007..airway retention of BUD, CIC/CIC-AM, fluticasone propionate (FP), and mometasone furoate (MF), and compared esterification of BUD and CIC-AM and its contribution to GC airway retention...
- Anticytomegaloviral activity of esterified milk proteins and L-polylysinesJean Marc Chobert
UR 1268 Biopolymeres Interactions Assemblages, INRA, équipe Fonctions et Interactions des Protéines Laitières, Nantes, France
J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 13:255-8. 2007..However, the tested basic proteins and polypeptides despite their lower antiviral activities might be potentially quite useful in fight of arising drug resistance activities and the persistence capacities of this virus...
- Are pectins involved in cold acclimation and de-acclimation of winter oil-seed rape plants?Danuta Solecka
Department of Plant Molecular Biology, Institute of Experimental Plant Biology, University of Warsaw, Miecznikowa 1, 02 096 Warsaw, Poland
Ann Bot 101:521-30. 2008....
- Naturally occurring esterification reactions with bryostatinGiso Abadi
Chemistry and Pharmacy, Sunderland University, Sunderland, United Kingdom
Nat Prod Res 22:865-78. 2008..A second set of measurements suggest bryostatin can be hydrolyzed by water, a reaction that has significant implications in both medicinal applications and extraction procedures...
- High-throughput analysis of plasma fatty acid methyl esters employing robotic transesterification and fast gas chromatographyM Athar Masood
Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics, National Institutes on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD, USA
Lipids 43:171-80. 2008..This method is readily scalable to prepare and analyze 200 samples per day (1,000 samples per week) so that large clinical trials can be accommodated...
- Identification of phosphopeptides by MALDI Q-TOF MS in positive and negative ion modes after methyl esterificationChong Feng Xu
Skirball Institute of Biomolecular Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 4:809-18. 2005..Our method entails neutralizing negative charges on acidic groups of nonphosphorylated peptides by methyl esterification before mass spectrometry in positive and negative ion modes...
- Apolipoprotein A-I-dependent cholesterol esterification in patients with rheumatoid arthritisLuisa Cigliano
Dipartimento di Fisiologia Generale ed Ambientale, Universita di Napoli Federico II, Via Mezzocannone 8, Napoli 80134, Italia
Life Sci 77:108-20. 2005..Cholesterol esterification, determined as ratio of cholesteryl esters with cholesterol in high-density lipoproteins, was lower in ..
- Development in lipid analysis: some new extraction techniques and in situ transesterificationA I Carrapiso
Laboratory of Food Technology, Extremadura University, Caceres, Spain
Lipids 35:1167-77. 2000....
- Decreased hepatic accumulation and enhanced esterification of cholesterol in mice deficient in mdr1a and mdr1b P-glycoproteinsG D Luker
Laboratory of Molecular Radiopharmacology, Washington University School of Medicine, 510 S. Kingshighway Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Lipid Res 42:1389-94. 2001..wild-type and mdr1a(-/)-/1b(-/)- mice to determine whether class I Pgp affects cholesterol absorption and esterification in vivo...
- Esterification of retinol in rat liver. Possible participation by cellular retinol-binding protein and cellular retinol-binding protein IID E Ong
Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232
J Biol Chem 263:5789-96. 1988Retinol bound to cellular retinol-binding protein (CRBP) was available for esterification by liver microsomes in the absence of exogenous acyl donors...
- Elucidation of pectin methylester distributions by capillary electrophoresisMartin A K Williams
Unilever Research and Development Colworth, Colworth House, Sharnbrook, MK44 1LQ Bedford, United Kingdom
J Agric Food Chem 51:1777-81. 2003....
- Modulation of the degree and pattern of methyl-esterification of pectic homogalacturonan in plant cell walls. Implications for pectin methyl esterase action, matrix properties, and cell adhesionW G Willats
Centre for Plant Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 276:19404-13. 2001..We demonstrate that, in addition to blockwise de-esterification, HG with a non-blockwise distribution of methyl esters is also an abundant feature of HG in primary plant cell ..
- COCAINE, ALCOHOL, AND COCAETHYLENE--CLINICAL EFFECTSElinore McCance Katz; Fiscal Year: 2002..alcohol in humans and prospectively demonstrated the formation of cocaethylene, a metabolite formed by ethyl esterification of cocaine which appears to have pharmacological properties similar to cocaine...
- THE YEAST ERGOSTEROL PATHWAYMartin Bard; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition interactions between sterol biosynthetic enzymes and sterol esterification enzymes will also be studied...
- REGULATION OF HEPATIC P450S BY ANTICHOLESTEROL DRUGSTHOMAS KOCAREK; Fiscal Year: 2003..proposal are to (1) define the effects of chemical inhibitors of key steps of the cholesterol biosynthesis and esterification pathways on P450 expression in primary cultured rat hepatocytes, and to relate patterns of gene expression to ..
- Resolutions in Branched Alkanes using Lipase in BeadsSTEVEN NEAU; Fiscal Year: 2002..of the pharmacologically active enantiomer of a drug that is a racemic mixture, ibuprofen, by enantioselective esterification by a lipase that is free or entrapped in the chitosan bead...
- CYTOCHROMES B: MODELS & PROTEIN STUDIESFrances Walker; Fiscal Year: 1991..Specific studies will involve nmr investigations of the effect of heme propionate esterification on cation binding and charge neutralization in oxidized and reduced cytochrome b5, nmr, epr and ..
- ENZYMES IN PHOSPHATIDIC ACID BIOSYNTHESISHei Sook Sul; Fiscal Year: 2002..The investigator will also measure fatty acid oxidation and esterification to examine the role of mitochondrial GPAT in lipid metabolism...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF CHYLOMICRON ASSEMBLYM Hussain; Fiscal Year: 2009..acyltransferase (ACAT) 2 and microsomal triglyceride transfer protein (MTP) in cholesterol esterification and secretion...
- Role of Star Proteins in Bile Acid and Cholesterol MetabolismWILLIAM M contact PANDAK; Fiscal Year: 2010..homeostasis is maintained through the coordinated regulation of cholesterol uptake, synthesis, transport, esterification, secretion, and degradation...
- Role of Star Proteins in Bile Acid and Cholesterol MetabolismWILLIAM PANDAK; Fiscal Year: 2009..homeostasis is maintained through the coordinated regulation of cholesterol uptake, synthesis, transport, esterification, secretion, and degradation...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF CHYLOMICRON ASSEMBLYM Hussain; Fiscal Year: 2007..acyltransferase (ACAT) 2 and microsomal triglyceride tarnsfer protein (MTP) in cholesterol esterification and secretion...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF CHYLOMICRON ASSEMBLYM Mahmood Hussain; Fiscal Year: 2010..acyltransferase (ACAT) 2 and microsomal triglyceride transfer protein (MTP) in cholesterol esterification and secretion...
- Retinyl Ester Binding Proteins and the Visual CycleRobert Rando; Fiscal Year: 2007..Some of the critical steps include the lecithin retinol acyl transferase (LRAT) mediated esterification of vitamin A using lecithin as the acyl donor to generate hydrophobic all-trans-retinyl esters followed by the ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF UNIQUE WALL LIPIDS OF MYCOBACTERIAPappachan Kolattukudy; Fiscal Year: 2006..the function of wes genes, a) Express the wes genes and test whether these gene products are involved in the esterification of the methyl branched acids generated by the large synthases to the hydroxyl groups in the ultimate acceptors,..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF UNIQUE WALL LIPIDS OF MYCOBACTERIAPappachan Kolattukudy; Fiscal Year: 2007..the function of wes genes, a) Express the wes genes and test whether these gene products are involved in the esterification of the methyl branched acids generated by the large synthases to the hydroxyl groups in the ultimate acceptors,..
- The altered lipid and protein metabolism of pediatric patients with HIV infectionFarook Jahoor; Fiscal Year: 2007..plasma fatty acid appearance rate in the fasted and fed states, fatty acid oxidation, hepatic fatty acid re-esterification, the concentration and synthesis rates of HDL-apoAl, VLDL-TG and - apoB-100, and lipoprotein lipase activity ..
- The altered lipid and protein metabolism of pediatric patients with HIV infectionFarook Jahoor; Fiscal Year: 2010..plasma fatty acid appearance rate in the fasted and fed states, fatty acid oxidation, hepatic fatty acid re-esterification, the concentration and synthesis rates of HDL-apoAl, VLDL-TG and - apoB-100, and lipoprotein lipase activity ..
- A Novel Adipocyte Population Arises From Bone Marrow Progenitor CellsDwight J Klemm; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, Aim 4 will test whether ML adipocytes exhibit higher rates of fatty acid uptake, esterification and/or oxidation than conventional white and brown adipocytes...
- VITAMIN A AND REPRODUCTIONDavid Ong; Fiscal Year: 1993..The metabolism of the internalized retinol will be determined, with particular emphasis on esterification and the possible involvement of a novel enzyme activity, lecithinretinol acyl transferase...