Summary: A particular category of body build, determined on the basis of certain physical characteristics. The three basic body types are ectomorph (thin physique), endomorph (rounded physique), and mesomorph (athletic physique). The typology was devised by the American psychologist William Herbert Sheldon (1899-1977). Somatotypes have been related to personality in early studies.
Publications140 found, 100 shown here
- Body image perception, satisfaction and somatotype in male and female athletes and non-athletes: results using a novel morphing techniqueArthur D Stewart
Biomedical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
J Sports Sci 21:815-23. 2003..We conclude that the method is reliable and that body image includes sex-specific, anthropometric, perceptual and personality-related components...
- Anthropometric, body composition and somatotype differences of Greek elite female basketball, volleyball and handball playersI A Bayios
Department of Games and Sports, Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Science, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 46:271-80. 2006....
- [Comparison of somatotype differences of soccer and handball players based on the methods of German and Anglo-American schools of constitutional biology]Christoph Raschka
Institut für Sportwissenschaften der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitit, Frankfurt am Main
Anthropol Anz 65:303-16. 2007..1 +/- 7.9 cm) very to highly significantly higher than for the smaller soccer players (body height: 178.6 +/- 5.8 cm), whereby no important proportional differences were registered...
- Relationship between morphologic somatotypes and standing posture equilibriumP Allard
Department of Kinesiology, University of Montreal, PQ, Canada
Ann Hum Biol 28:624-33. 2001..Using anthropometric measurements, the morphologic somatotypes were defined in terms of body composition and structure...
- Relation between adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and morphologic somatotypesR LeBlanc
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Medical Faculty, , Succursale Centre Ville, , Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2532-6. 1997..with an age-matched control group of 62 unaffected girls using a classification technique based on morphologic somatotypes. Morphotypes were evaluated with standardized pre-established criteria based on Sheldon's technique...
- Body mass index: a scientific evidence-based inquiryDjalma Rabelo Ricardo
Universidade Gama Filho e Clinimex, Clínico de Medicina do Exercício, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 79:61-78. 2002..To objectively and critically assess body mass index and to propose alternatives for relating body weight and height that are evidence-based and that eliminate or reduce the limitations of the body mass index...
- Sexual dimorphism from birth to age 60 in relation to the type of body shapeHolle Greil
Department of Human Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Biology, University of Potsdam, Germany
Anthropol Anz 65:61-73. 2007....
- [Somatotypic characteristic of children aged 8 to 12 years--residents of South Russia]V V Sokolov
Morfologiia 127:43-5. 2005....
- [Age-related changes of somatotype and body mass components in girls]R V Tambovtseva
Morfologiia 127:48-51. 2005..Most sensitive time points in the time-course of somatotype establishment in girls are the ages of 12 and 14 years...
- Anthropometric characteristics of elite cricket fast bowlersMax Stuelcken
School of Exercise and Sports Science, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW, Australia
J Sports Sci 25:1587-97. 2007..These reference data should be useful to practitioners and researchers interested in cricket. Further research is needed to clarify why only male fast bowlers had variables that were proportionally large relative to height...
- Physique traits of lightweight rowers and their relationship to competitive successG J Slater
Australian Institute of Sport, Belconnen, Canberra, ACT 2616, Australia
Br J Sports Med 39:736-41. 2005..Physique traits and their relationship to competitive success were assessed amongst lightweight rowers competing at the 2003 Australian Rowing Championships...
- [Anthropometric parameters and body composition in girls with Shereshevsky-Turner syndrome]Iu A Fefelova
Morfologiia 127:66-8. 2005..6%) was detected. Patients with megalosomatic constitution were rare: subathletic and auriplastic somatotypes were detected in 5.9% each, athletic somatotype was absent...
- [Short countryside children in view of anthropometric research]Urszula Czerniak
Katedra Antropologii i Biometrii AWF w Poznaniu
Pediatr Endocrinol Diabetes Metab 13:130-4. 2007..The research allow to describe which factors influence the biological development of children from the village. The aim of the study is the estimation of body build type and body proportions of short village children...
- Waist girth normalized to body build in obesity assessmentGrete Heinz
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 14:60-8. 2005..6/67.4). With %WD normalized for WRG, hence unaffected by intra-group or inter-group variations in the Chest Sum, %WD thresholds may better identify health risks linked to abdominal obesity than existing WG thresholds...
- [Endomorphy in childhood and adolescence as predictor of aerobic capacity]J Taeymans
Sportverletz Sportschaden 18:167-71. 2004
- Effects of shape parameters on the attractiveness of a female bodyJ Fan
Institute of Textiles and Clothing, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Percept Mot Skills 105:117-32. 2007....
- Anthropometric characteristics, body composition and somatotype of elite junior tennis playersCristóbal Sánchez-Muñoz
Faculty of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Br J Sports Med 41:793-9. 2007....
- Association between somatotypes and blood pressure in an adult Chuvasha populationLeonid Kalichman
Human Population Biology Research Unit, Department of Anatomy and Anthropology, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Ann Hum Biol 31:466-76. 2004The relationship between blood pressure (BP) and anthropometrical characteristics has been indeed examined extensively, but only a few studies have investigated any connection of somatotypes to BP.
- Playboy Playmate curves: changes in facial and body feature preferences across social and economic conditionsTerry F Pettijohn
Department of Psychology, Mercyhurst College, Erie, PA 06546 0001, USA
Pers Soc Psychol Bull 30:1186-97. 2004..These results suggest that environmental security may influence perceptions and preferences for women with certain body and facial features...
- [Sports anthropological investigations on somatotypology of elite karateka]Jürgen Fritzsche
Institut für Biologie der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Main
Anthropol Anz 65:317-29. 2007The goal of this work was to find differences between the somatotypes of elite karateka. For this purpose the somatotypes of Conrad, Heath & Carter were used...
- The superior mesenteric artery syndrome in patients with spinal deformityHaluk Altiok
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Chicago, IL, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2164-70. 2005..A retrospective review...
- Patients with eating disorders and their siblings. An investigation of body image perceptionsDieter Benninghoven
Clinic for Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, University of Schleswig Holstein, Campus Luebeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Luebeck, Germany
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 17:118-26. 2008..Body image was more negative in patients than in their sisters. Siblings of patients with eating disorders seem to be rather unimpaired in terms of body image disturbances...
- Maturity-associated variation in the body size and proportions of elite female gymnasts 14-17 years of ageAlbrecht L Claessens
Faculty of Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Sciences, Department of Biomedical Kinesiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 165:186-92. 2006..The results highlight the need to consider maturity-associated variation in the body dimensions of gymnasts before attributing their characteristics to the demands of regular training...
- Comparisons of physical characteristics and performances among female collegiate rowersRebecca A Battista
Department of Kinesiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
J Sports Sci 25:651-7. 2007..Leg length was estimated and Heath-Carter anthropometric somatotypes were calculated...
- Evidence for higher heritability of somatotype compared to body mass index in female twinsVictor Machado Reis
Department of Sport Sciences, University of Tras os Montes and Alto Douro, Apartadao, Villa Real, Portugal
J Physiol Anthropol 26:9-14. 2007..42 and 0.52). The results of the present study have indicated that the somatotype may be more sensible to genetic influences than the BMI in females...
- Tracking of anthropometric parameters and bioelectrical impedance in pubertal boys and girlsAire Leppik
Centre of Behavioural and Health Sciences, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Coll Antropol 30:753-60. 2006..In conclusion, our results indicate that during puberty the detailed anthropometric parameters and body impedance tracked highly. However, the tracking of PAI and Tanner stages was significant but relatively low...
- [Somatotypes of male and female competitive Ju-Jutsuka]Christoph Raschka
Institut für Sportwissenschaften der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität Frankfurt Main
Anthropol Anz 64:435-46. 2006..4 % (male competitors) to 21.8 % (male non-competitors) and 21.2 % (female competitors) to 23.6 % (female non-competitors), which appears still optimizable in comparison to other martial arts collectives...
- Olympic lightweight and open-class rowers possess distinctive physical and proportionality characteristicsD A Kerr
Curtin University of Technology, Perth, WA, Australia
J Sports Sci 25:43-53. 2007..01). In conclusion, the rowers in this sample demonstrated distinctive physical characteristics that distinguish them from non-rowers and other sports performers...
- Physiological and anthropometric characteristics of young soccer players according to their playing position: relevance for the selection processSusana M Gil
Faculty of Physical Activity and Sports Sciences, University of the Basque Country, Vitoria Gasteiz, Alava, Spain
J Strength Cond Res 21:438-45. 2007..These differences fit with their different workload in a game. Therefore, training programs should include specific sessions for each positional role...
- Somatotype and blood pressure of rural South African children aged 6-13 years: Ellisras longitudinal growth and health studyP J Makgae
Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education, University of the North, South Africa
Ann Hum Biol 34:240-51. 2007..However, a high endomorphy rating has been associated with hypertension in adults, posing a serious threat to their health status, while receiving little attention in children...
- Body change strategies in children: relationship to age and genderZ Lawrie
Children s Nutrition Research Centre, Discipline of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Eat Behav 8:357-63. 2007..The different practices used by each gender demonstrate that different body image ideals hold for boys and girls...
- The usefulness of body image tests in the prevention of eating disordersChie Yamamoto
Department of International and Environmental Medical Sciences, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Kobe J Med Sci 53:79-91. 2007..In this study, we conducted a survey of 12-15 year-old public junior high school students to extract factors related to abnormal eating behavior and determine what information could be used by schools to prevent eating disorders...
- Anthropometric and physiological characteristics of junior elite volleyball playersM J Duncan
Newman College of Higher Education, PE and Sports Studies, Bartley Green, Birmingham, UK
Br J Sports Med 40:649-51; discussion 651. 2006..To investigate the anthropometric and physiological characteristics of junior elite volleyball players...
- Anthropometric dimensions of male powerlifters of varying body massJustin W L Keogh
Institute of Sport and Recreation Research New Zealand, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
J Sports Sci 25:1365-76. 2007....
- [Morphological and functional characteristics of 9- to 22-year-old female athletes involved in sports aerobics]Iu S Filipova
Fiziol Cheloveka 32:98-103. 2006
- Anthropometry and somatotype of competitive female figure skaters 11-22 years. Variation by competitive level and disciplineD V Monsma
Department of Physical Education, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29072
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 45:491-500. 2005..Variation in anthropometric characteristics and somatotype of female figure skaters by level of competition and discipline was examined...
- The pursuit of muscularity among adolescent boys in Fiji and TongaLina A Ricciardelli
School of Psychology, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, Victoria 3125, Australia
Body Image 4:361-71. 2007..Boys' reasons for pursing muscularity included the attainment of strength and fitness, sporting performance, physical work, dominance, and health. These findings are examined in relation to previous research with Western adolescent boys...
- Physiological variables to use in the gender comparison in highly trained runnersS Maldonado-Martin
Department of Research and Development, Medical Services, Athletic Club of Bilbao, Basque Country, Spain
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 44:8-14. 2004....
- Body-image perceptions: reliability of a BMI-based Silhouette Matching TestMichael Peterson
Department of Health and Exercise Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716, USA
Am J Health Behav 27:355-63. 2003..To assess the reliability of a BMI-based Silhouette Matching Test (BMI-SMT)...
- [Effect of different somatotypes on the intensity of changes of indices of height and body mass during early childhood]M A Kornev
Department of Human Anatomy, St Petersburg State Pediatric Medical Academy
Morfologiia 123:72-5. 2003..This regularity was found in all the somatotypes with the exclusion of the boys of macrosomal type aged 6-7 years, in whom the maximal reduction of growth of ..
- Anthropometric characteristics evolution in elite rhythmic gymnastsAlessandra di Cagno
Unit of Sport Sciences, Department of Health Sciences, University Institute of Movement Sciences IUSM, Roma, Italy
Ital J Anat Embryol 113:29-35. 2008..Moreover, higher differences between seniors and juniors of FFM values in 2006 indicated the more intensive training of the second period for seniors...
- Sex differences in relative foot length and perceived attractiveness of female feet: relationships among anthropometry, physique, and preference ratingsMartin Voracek
Department of Basic Psychological Research, School of Psychology, University of Vienna, Austria
Percept Mot Skills 104:1123-38. 2007..The preference for small feet in women was convergent across different methods of evaluating attractiveness. Directions for investigations in this emerging field of research on physical attractiveness are discussed...
- Drive for leanness: assessment and relationship to gender, gender role and objectificationLinda Smolak
Department of Psychology, Kenyon College, Gambier, OH 43022, USA
Body Image 5:251-60. 2008..DLS appeared to measure a distinct component of body image. Feminine gender role was only related to DT while masculine gender role was related to DL, DT, and DM, raising important questions about the gender differences in body image...
- Defining body deception and its role in peer based social comparison theories of body dissatisfactionTom Hildebrandt
Eating and Weight Disorders Program, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1230, New York, NY 10029, USA
Body Image 5:299-306. 2008..An integrated model for the role of body deception in body image disturbance is proposed...
- Using a height-weight classification for analysis of food energy and main nutrient contents in 24-hours menus of 17-23-year-old Estonian female studentsJana Peterson
Centre for Physical Anthropology, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Anthropol Anz 65:51-9. 2007..BMI characterises only obesity and cannot replace the characterisation of different body types. In our study, BMI of the small and the leptosomic class was almost equal, although these body types differ greatly from each other...
- Body size, composition, and blood pressure of high-altitude Quechua from the Peruvian Central Andes (Huancavelica, 3,680 m)S Toselli
Dipartimento di Biologia Evoluzionistica Sperimentale, , Italy
Am J Hum Biol 13:539-47. 2001..Similar results are obtained when percentage fat is estimated. Somatotypes are dominant in mesomorphy with very low ectomorphy...
- Eating disorders in athletes: a review of the literatureS Byrne
Department of Psychology, University of Western Australia
J Sci Med Sport 4:145-59. 2001..A fourth section of the paper evaluates studies which have addressed the issue of gender differences in eating disorders among athletes. Suggestions are made for guidelines that will improve future research in this area...
- Sex, age and caste differences in somatotypes of Rajput and scheduled caste adolescents from the Sirmour District of Himachal Pradesh, IndiaRajan Gaur
Department of Anthropology, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Anthropol Anz 66:81-97. 2008b>Somatotypes of a cross-sectional sample of 544 rural adolescents ranging in age from 11 to 17 years are described. The sample included 269 Rajput (141 girls and 128 boys) and 275 Scheduled Caste (135 girls and 140 boys) subjects...
- Anthropometric and physiological traits: age changes among the Oraon agricultural labourers of the Jalpaiguri District, northern West Bengal, IndiaSubrata K Roy
Anthropology and Human Genetics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta, India
Anthropol Anz 61:445-60. 2003..e. grip strength and back strength declines after the age of 25 years or so. However, no generalization can be made out of this, because of the cross-sectional nature of the present study...
- [Criteria of dimensional typology of the face and body constitution of young men]V N Zviagin
Sud Med Ekspert 50:9-13. 2007..Estimating equations to determine individual variant of general face size and shape and male somatotype by V. V. Bunak and Shtefko-Ostrovsky schemes were done for practical use the received results...
- [Sports anthropology investigation on female participants of the German Sports-Aerobic-Masters compared to non-sports participating young females]Christoph Raschka
Institut für Sportwissenschaft der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Main
Anthropol Anz 61:461-72. 2003..The aerobic group is also characterised by the smallest body fat percentage, whereas the non-exercising group shows the opposite. This is also proven by the body mass index...
- Anthropometric features and body composition of young athletes practicing karate at a high and medium competitive levelM Giampietro
Department of Neurosciences, University of Tor Vergata, Via Montpellier 1, I 00133, Rome, Italy
Acta Diabetol 40:S145-8. 2003..Moreover, both groups of athletes are characterized by a low percentage of fat mass, particularly the elite group...
- Morphological characteristics of Olympic sprint canoe and kayak paddlersT R Ackland
The University of Western Australia, Australia
J Sci Med Sport 6:285-94. 2003..The morphology of elite paddlers appears to have altered during the past 25 years toward a more compact, robust physique. This trend is especially noticeable for the female competitors...
- [Effect of anthropotechnogenic chemical factors on formation of somatotypes in children and adolescents of school age]G V Iudin
Department of Human Anatomy, Course of Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy, Ivanovo State Medical Academy
Morfologiia 123:86-8. 2003....
- Assessment of male anthropometric trends and the effects on simulated heat stress responsesMiyo Yokota
Biophysics and Biomedical Modeling Division, US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, MA, 01760 5007, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 104:297-302. 2008..Anthropometric somatotypes were identified and physiological responses of the different somatotypes to simulated heat stress (35 degrees C/..
- Five-class height-weight model for systematization of seventeen-year-old recruits' anthropometric dataMart Lintsi
Centre for Physical Anthropology, Medical Faculty, University of Tartu, Tartu, Estonia
Anthropol Anz 61:435-43. 2003..In class 5 all heights and the relative bone mass were bigger. The present investigation confirms the hypothesis that the five height-weight class system is applicable to seventeen-year-old recruits...
- Physical and performance differences among forwards, defensemen, and goalies in elite women's ice hockeyChristina A Geithner
Department of Exercise Science, Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA 92258, USA
J Strength Cond Res 20:500-5. 2006..9 years of age). A full anthropometric battery was conducted on each player. Heath-Carter anthropometric somatotypes were calculated. Percent body fat (%fat) was estimated from both general and population-specific equations...
- Minimally invasive per-catheter patent ductus arteriosus occlusion in dogs using a prototype duct occluderT P Nguyenba
Veterinary Clinical Sciences Department, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Vet Intern Med 22:129-34. 2008..Per-catheter patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) occlusion in dogs with devices intended for humans is associated with technical difficulties, high rates of procedure abandonment, device migration, and residual ductal flow...
- Age, body composition, and reproductive indices as predictors of radiographic hand osteoarthritis in Chuvashian womenL Kalichman
Department of Physical Therapy, The Stanley Steyer School of Health Professions, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Scand J Rheumatol 36:53-7. 2007....
- Effect of physical training on body composition in Moscow adolescentsElena Godina
Institute and Museum of Anthropology, Moscow State University, Russia
J Physiol Anthropol 26:229-34. 2007..The program included anthropometric measurements, evaluation of sexual maturation indices, somatotypes, and "functional" traits (diastolic and systolic blood pressure, pulse rate, hand grip, etc)...
- Factors affecting the work productivity of Oraon agricultural laborers of Jalpaiguri district, West BengalSubrata K Roy
Anthropology and Human Genetics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta 700 035, India
Am J Phys Anthropol 117:228-35. 2002..This study presents anthropometric measurements, somatotypes, food intakes, energy expenditures, and work outputs of Oraon agricultural laborers of the Jalpaiguri district, ..
- The influence of gender and somatotype on single-leg upright standing postural stability in childrenAlex J Y Lee
Department of Physical Education, National Hsinchu University of Education, Hsinchu, Taiwan
J Appl Biomech 23:173-9. 2007The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of gender and somatotypes on single-leg upright standing postural stability in children...
- Morphologic discrimination among healthy subjects and patients with progressive and nonprogressive adolescent idiopathic scoliosisR LeBlanc
Program of Biomedical Sciences, Medical Faculty, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1109-15; discussion 1115-6. 1998..A prospective and controlled comparative study...
- Human physique and sexual attractiveness in men and women: a New Zealand-U.S. comparative studyBarnaby J Dixson
School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Arch Sex Behav 39:798-806. 2010..In Study 1, women in both countries rated mesomorphic (muscular) and average male somatotypes as most attractive, followed by ectomorphic (slim) and endomorphic (heavily built) figures...
- [Somatotype and schizophrenia. A case-control study]G Pailhez
Institut d Atenció Psiquiátrica Salut Mental i Toxicomanies, Hospital del Mar IMAS, Unidad Docente Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona UDIMAS
Actas Esp Psiquiatr 37:258-66. 2009To compare somatotypes of schizophrenic patients and healthy controls and to examine some associations between somatic (joint mobility, somatotype) and psychopathological (anxiety, clinical seriousness and schizophrenic types) features.
- [Experiences with development of morphological typology of the face]M A Negascheva
Lehrstuhl für Anthropologic, Fakultat fur Biologie, Lomonosow Staatsuniversität, Moskau, Russland
Anthropol Anz 58:299-308. 2000..The methods of multivariate analysis reveal steady connection between somatotypes and features of a facial structure. Though the level of correlation does not exceed 0.3-0...
- Evaluation of anthropometrical reference parameters for hemoglobin mass in endurance athletesY O Schumacher
Abtlg Sportmedizin, Medizinische Universitaetsklinik Freiburg Freiburg, Germany
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 48:509-14. 2008..The aim of the present study was therefore to evaluate three different anthropometrical parameters (body weight, body surface area [BSA] and lean body mass [LBM] with respect to tHb...
- Use of 3-dimensional body scans for body-image researchTanya Domina
Department of Human Environmental Studies, 102 Wightman, Central Michigan University, Mt Pleasant, MI 48859, USA
Percept Mot Skills 106:653-8. 2008..97, kappa = .80). The potential of utilizing 3-dimensional images either as more realistic somatotypes in contour-rating scales or as a measurement of body-image satisfaction using computer manipulation of a ..
- Development of fat distribution patterns in children and its association with the type of body shape assessed by the Metric-IndexChristiane Scheffler
University of Potsdam, Institute of Biochemistry and Biology, Human Biology, Potsdam, Germany
Anthropol Anz 69:45-55. 2012..This pattern can be used to check the individual's risk of overweight and to recommend preventive healthcare interventions...
- The PAWPER tape: A new concept tape-based device that increases the accuracy of weight estimation in children through the inclusion of a modifier based on body habitusMike Wells
Division of Emergency Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Parktown, Johannesburg, South Africa
Resuscitation 84:227-32. 2013..This study was conducted to evaluate the accuracy of the PAWPER tape, a new two-step weight-estimation tape device which employs a length-based habitus-modified weight estimation system...
- Female anthropometric variability and their effects on predicted thermoregulatory responses to work in the heatMiyo Yokota
U S Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine USARIEM, Natick, MA 01760 5007, USA
Int J Biometeorol 56:379-85. 2012..S. Army male soldiers were evaluated. Five somatotypes were identified in U.S. Army male multivariate anthropometric distribution...
- Matching voice and face identity from static imagesLauren W Mavica
Department of Psychology, Florida Atlantic University, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform 39:307-12. 2013..Performance in the matching task was not correlated with the degree of agreement on any of the rated dimensions...
- Selecting a somatic type: the role of anorexia in the rest cureLori Duin Kelly
Carroll University, Waukesha, WI 53186, USA
J Med Humanit 33:15-26. 2012..However, although the Rest Cure undeniably alleviated some physical symptoms, it did not address underlying issues of what had caused so many of these patients to take to their beds in the first place, often for years at a time...
- Novel polymorphisms of the APOA2 gene and its promoter region affect body traits in cattleYang Zhou
College of Animal Science and Technology, Northwest A and F University, Shaanxi Key Laboratory of Agricultural Molecular Biology, Yangling, Shaanxi 712100, China
Gene 531:288-93. 2013..05 or P<0.01). The results of this study suggested the bovine APOA2 gene may be a strong candidate gene for body traits in the cattle breeding program...
- Anthropometric profile, vertical jump, and throwing velocity in elite female handball players by playing positionsHelena Vila
Department of Physical Activity and Sport Sciences, San Antonio Catholic University of Murcia, Guadalupe, Murcia, Spain
J Strength Cond Res 26:2146-55. 2012..Statistical differences have been established between wings and other specific playing positions, especially with pivot and backs. Coaches can use this information to select players for the different specific positions...
- Men's preference for the ovulating female is triggered by subtle face shape differencesCora Bobst
Institute of Psychology, University of Bern, Muesmattstrasse 45, 3012 Bern, Switzerland
Horm Behav 62:413-7. 2012..We conclude that subtle shape differences in faces are sufficient to trigger men's preference for a woman in her fertile cycle phase...
- The effects of non-extraction orthodontic treatment on the vertical dimension: a comparison of a dolichofacial and a mesofacial groupChia Hung Lin
Aust Orthod J 28:37-43. 2012..The present study aimed to investigate whether dolichofacial patients responded differently compared with mesofacial patients to non-extraction orthodontic treatment with respect to vertical changes in facial height...
- Effects of gender, media influences, and traditional gender role orientation on disordered eating and appearance concerns among Latino adolescentsVera Lopez
Justice and Social Inquiry, School of Social Transformation, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
J Adolesc 36:727-36. 2013..Our findings highlight the importance of continued research on gender, media, and cultural influences as they relate to disordered eating and appearance concerns among Latino youth. ..
- Cross-validation of the very short form of the Physical Self-Inventory (PSI-VS): invariance across genders, age groups, ethnicities and weight statusesAlexandre J S Morin
Department of Psychology, University of Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Body Image 8:404-10. 2011..The results also confirm the convergent validity and scale score reliability of the PSI-VS subscales...
- Setting the bar: divergent sociocultural norms for women's and men's ideal appearance in real-world contextsVanessa M Buote
Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Body Image 8:322-34. 2011..Finally, experimental results show that homogeneous, rigid norms (like those typically encountered by women) are more harmful to body image than heterogeneous, flexible norms (like those typically encountered by men)...
- Somatic versus nonsomatic shoulder and back pain experience in middle age in relation to body build, physical fitness, bone mineral content, gamma-glutamyltransferase, occupational workload, and psychosocial factorsH Bergenudd
Department of Orthopaedics, , Lund University, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 16:1051-5. 1991....
- The John Insall Award: Both morphotype and gender influence the shape of the knee in patients undergoing TKAJohan Bellemans
University Hospitals of the Catholic University, Leuven, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:29-36. 2010..The shape of the knee is therefore not only dependent on gender, but also on the morphotype of the patient...
- Dry heat, moist heat and body fat: are heating modalities really effective in people who are overweight?J Petrofsky
Department of Physical Therapy, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92350, USA
J Med Eng Technol 33:361-9. 2009..We observed that the greater the impairment in heat transfer to muscle from skin covered by body fat, the warmer the skin temperature increase during the modality...
- Analysis of BMI of preschool children--results of longitudinal studiesChristiane Scheffler
Institute of Biochemistry and Biology, Human Biology, Potsdam University, Germany
Anthropol Anz 67:53-63. 2009..Endangered girls are of pyknomorphic body type. In contrast, the boys' results are independent of the body type. Obesity of boys therefore is strongly assumed to be caused by environmental factors...
- Heat transfer to deep tissue: the effect of body fat and heating modalityJ S Petrofsky
Department of Physical Therapy, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA 92350, USA
J Med Eng Technol 33:337-48. 2009..Cold packs and hot packs were very ineffective in changing muscle temperature under these same conditions. Body fat plays a major role, as did limb blood flow in controlling the movement of heat across the limb...
- Sociocultural influences on body dissatisfaction and body change behaviors among Malaysian adolescentsDavid Mellor
School of Psychology, Deakin University, Burwood Highway, Burwood, Victoria 3125, Australia
Body Image 6:121-8. 2009..Findings are discussed in relation to Western research, and it is concluded that cultural nuances need to be considered when investigating these phenomena...
- Why do young women diet? The roles of body fat, body perception, and body idealA J Gruber
Biological Psychiatry Laboratory, McLean Hospital, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:609-11. 2001..To assess the relative roles of body fat, body perception, and body ideals as motivations for dieting in college women...
- Morphological evolution of athletes over the 20th century: causes and consequencesK Norton
School of Physical Education, Exercise and Sport Studies, University of South Australia, Underdale, Australia
Sports Med 31:763-83. 2001..Future scenarios also include 'gene-farming' through assortative mating and athlete gamete banks...
- [Short athletes in view of anthropometric research]Anna Demuth
Katedra Antropologii i Biometrii AWF im, Eugeniusza Piaseckiego w Poznaniu
Pediatr Endocrinol Diabetes Metab 14:171-6. 2008..The aim of this work, which is just a part research introduced in sport environment undertaking morphologic and motoric problems of development conditions, is the description of somatic structure of short growth sportsmen...
- [Interactions of human psycho-somato-visceral functions]R K Loktieva
Taras Shevchenko National University, Kiev
Fiziol Zh 47:31-6. 2001..Each group of persons is characterised by combination of properties that differ statistically from other groups. Some of this properties are genetic dependent...
- Exposure to slim images in mass media: television commercials as reminders of restriction in restrained eatersDoeschka J Anschutz
Behavioural Science Institute, Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Health Psychol 27:401-8. 2008..The aim of the present study was to explore the effects of exposure to slim images and diet-related products in commercials on actual food intake in relation to dietary restraint...
- Overconcern with weight and shape is not the same as body dissatisfaction: evidence from a prospective study of pre-adolescent boys and girlsKarina L Allen
School of Psychology, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Western Australia, 6009, Australia
Body Image 5:261-70. 2008..Findings provide support for the theoretical differences between body dissatisfaction and overconcern with weight and shape, and highlight the importance of focusing on specific body image variables...
- Eye-tracking of men's preferences for waist-to-hip ratio and breast size of womenBarnaby J Dixson
School of Biological Sciences, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Arch Sex Behav 40:43-50. 2011..These results provide quantitative data on eye movements that occur during male judgments of the attractiveness of female images, and indicate that assessments of the female hourglass figure probably occur very rapidly...
- Body composition and somatotype of the elite of Polish fencersKatarzyna Sterkowicz-Przybycień
Department of Theory and Methodology of Gymnastics, University School of Physical Education, Krakow, Poland
Coll Antropol 33:765-72. 2009..An experienced evaluator performed 10 measurements necessary to designate somatotypes by means of Heath-Carter method and to estimate the percentage of body fat and composition...
- Genome-wide association study of the four-constitution medicineChang Shik Yin
Acupuncture and Meridian Science Research Center, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Altern Complement Med 15:1327-33. 2009....
- Perception of body shapes by anorexics and mature and teenage femalesB Baluch
School of Psychology, Middlesex University, Enfield, England
J Clin Psychol 53:167-75. 1997..Both mature and teenage females rated the fat female body shape more positively than did the anorexics. The implications of these findings are discussed...
- Genetics of human body size and shape: pleiotropic and independent genetic determinants of adiposityG Livshits
Tel Aviv University, Israel
Ann Hum Biol 25:221-36. 1998..The similarity of results in the three different samples indicates that the findings may be deemed valid and reliable descriptions of the genetic variation and covariation pattern of adiposity traits in the human species...
- Chinese and American college students' body-image: perceived body shape and body affectW Chen
Department of Physical Education, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Percept Mot Skills 87:395-403. 1998..Both Chinese and American men valued physical strength as a major component for body satisfaction...
- Life-course weight characteristics and the risk of gestational diabetesE H Yeung
Epidemiology Branch, Division of Epidemiology, Statistics, and Prevention Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, 6100 Executive Blvd, 7B03, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Diabetologia 53:668-78. 2010..We prospectively determined the risk of gestational diabetes mellitus in association with life-course weight characteristics and adult abdominal adiposity...
- Refinement of the tripartite influence model for men: dual body image pathways to body change behaviorsTracy L Tylka
Department of Psychology, Ohio State University, Marion, OH, United States
Body Image 8:199-207. 2011..Internalization of the mesomorphic ideal, muscularity dissatisfaction, and body fat dissatisfaction played key meditational roles within the model...
- Somatotype, role and performance in elite volleyball playersE Gualdi-Russo
Department of Experimental Evolutionistic Biology, Anthropology Section, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 41:256-62. 2001..The purpose of the present study was to examine the importance of the somatometric components of elite male and female volleyball players in relation to their different game roles and levels of performance...
- Weight cycling and mortality in womenAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Assessment of Appearance and Performance Enhancing Drug UseThomas Hildebrandt; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Weight Maintenance among Youth and Middle-Aged WomenAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Genetics of Menopause - A Pilot StudySiu Hui; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Effects of Parenting and Family Functioning on Adolescent BehaviorJelani Mandara; Fiscal Year: 2007..If so, it will have important implications for the design and success of larger studies and family-based prevention interventions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE EATING DISORDER RISK FACTORSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2001..The application focuses on issues relevant to recently described NIMH priorities in prevention. Developing and evaluating interventions to reduce eating disorders in this high-risk population is of extreme public health importance. ..
- Social transition and risk for disordered eatingAnne Becker; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Weight Maintenance among Youth and Middle-Aged WomenAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Assessment of Appearance and Performance Enhancing Drug UseThomas Hildebrandt; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Bio-behavioral Consequences of Appearance and Performance Enhancing Drug UseThomas Hildebrandt; Fiscal Year: 2008..Implications of this research are to inform prevention, intervention, and policy based decisions related to this growing public health concern. ..
- The Magnesium and Metabolic Syndrome TrialStella Volpe; Fiscal Year: 2008..If effective in improving insulin resistance in the metabolic syndrome, magnesium supplementation could have a great public health impact by delaying or preventing type 2 diabetes mellitus, and also in decreasing health care costs. ..
- Severe Early Childhood Caries: Role of Dietary Cariogenicity and Eating PatternsAviva Must; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Weight Maintenance among Youth and Middle-Aged WomenAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- 1/2-Preventing Eating Disorders and Reducing ComorbidityCBARR TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2009..If so, this finding, combined with our previous research would have a major public health impact on reducing eating disorder rates. ..
- Empirical eating disorder classification and validation using prospective studiesNadia Micali; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- 1/2-Preventing Eating Disorders and Reducing ComorbidityCBARR BARR TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..If so, this finding, combined with our previous research would have a major public health impact on reducing eating disorder rates. ..
- Food and Beverage Patterns that Predict Weight Gain Among AdolescentsAlison E Field; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to study how these beverage and food intake patterns are related to weight gain among adolescents and young adults. ..
- Outcome of Adolescent-Onset Eating DisordersAnna Bardone Cone; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Development of Eating Disorders in Males and FemalesAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2006..Moreover, since this is the only large prospective cohort study to assess the development of eating disorders in males, our results will make a lasting contribution to the field. ..
- The Development of Eating Disorders in Males and FemalesAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2002..Moreover, since this is the only large prospective cohort study to assess the development of eating disorders in males, our results will make a lasting contribution to the field. ..
- CONSEQUENCES AND CORRELATES OF WEIGHT FLUCTUATIONSAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2002..Conversely, if only unintentional weight loss is associated with increased risk, then the current recommendations for overweight people to lose weight or at least not gain weight would be appropriate. ..
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE EATING DISORDER RISK FACTORSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..The application focuses on issues relevant to recently described NIMH priorities in prevention. Developing and evaluating interventions to reduce eating disorders in this high-risk population is of extreme public health importance. ..
- IMPACT OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY AND GROWTH ON MORTALITYAviva Must; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE EATING DISORDER RISK FACTORSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..The application focuses on issues relevant to recently described NIMH priorities in prevention. Developing and evaluating interventions to reduce eating disorders in this high-risk population is of extreme public health importance. ..
- The Development of Eating Disorders in Males and FemalesAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2003..Moreover, since this is the only large prospective cohort study to assess the development of eating disorders in males, our results will make a lasting contribution to the field. ..
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE EATING DISORDER RISK FACTORSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2003
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE EATING DISORDER RISK FACTORSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2004
- The Development of Eating Disorders in Males and FemalesAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2004
- The Development of Eating Disorders in Males and FemalesAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2005
- Changing Cafeteria Portion Sizes to Prevent Weight GainStella Volpe; Fiscal Year: 2003..Thus, our next step would be to work with larger communities to focus on altering portion sizes in cafeterias, and even restaurants that do not offer "all you can eat" options. ..
- Obesity and Psychopathology: Longitudinal Study of YouthAviva Must; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Weight Control and Weight Change Among AdolescentAlison Field; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Internet Weight Control Program for Bingeing AdolescentsCraig Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposal focuses on issues directly relevant to NIDDK priorities and the Surgeon General's call to action to prevent and decrease pediatric overweight and obesity, which is a serious public health concern. ..
- Empirical eating disorder classification and validation using prospective studiesALISON E contact FIELD; Fiscal Year: 2011....