Genomes and Genes
Summary: Nutrition of a mother which affects the health of the FETUS and INFANT as well as herself.
Publications203 found, 100 shown here
- Circulating insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF binding proteins -1 and -3 and placental development in the guinea-pigC T Roberts
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Adelaide University, South Australia
Placenta 23:763-70. 2002Restricting maternal nutrition before and throughout pregnancy in the guinea-pig restricts foetal growth in part by altering placental structural determinants of substrate transfer function...
- Effects of feed restriction during organogenesis on embryo-fetal development in rabbitG D Cappon
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, Connecticut, USA
Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 74:424-30. 2005Appropriate maternal nutrition and body weight gain during pregnancy is well established as a major factor in healthy prenatal development in humans...
- The Cohen diabetic rat as a model for fetal growth restriction: vitamins C and E reduce fetal oxidative stress but do not restore normal growthAsher Ornoy
Laboratory of Teratology, Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Diabetes Research Unit, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School and Hospital, Jerusalem, Israel
Reprod Toxicol 28:521-9. 2009..In addition, we treated the pregnant rats with antioxidants (vitamins C and E added to their food) to evaluate the effects of antioxidants in the prevention of FGR and in changing the redox state of the fetuses...
- Levels and risk factors for perinatal mortality in Ahmedabad, IndiaD V Mavalankar
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Bull World Health Organ 69:435-42. 1991..Estimates of attributable risk derived from the prevalence of exposures in the population survey suggest that improvements in maternal nutrition and antenatal and intrapartum care could result in marked reductions of perinatal mortality.
- Food cravings, aversions and pica among pregnant women in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaC N M Nyaruhucha
Sokoine University of Agriculture, Department of Food Science and Technology, P O Box 3006, Morogoro, Tanzania
Tanzan J Health Res 11:29-34. 2009..Soil consumption was the pica observed in most women. Since aversions and cravings are closely linked to dietary intake of pregnant woman understanding these behaviours is important in addressing maternal nutrition.
- Oviduct structure and function and reproductive modes in amphibiansM H Wake
Department of Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720 3140, USA
J Exp Zool 282:477-506. 1998..ovoviviparity (developing embryos retained in the oviducts, born at a diversity stages of development, no maternal nutrition in addition to yolk) and viviparity (oviductal retention of developing young, maternal nutrition after yolk ..
- Maternal fumonisin exposure as a risk factor for neural tube defectsJ Gelineau-van Waes
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Anatomy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Adv Food Nutr Res 56:145-81. 2009..Fumonisins appear to be an environmental risk factor for birth defects, although other aspects of maternal nutrition and genetics play interactive roles in determining pregnancy outcome...
- Effects of altitude versus economic status on birth weight and body shape at birthD A Giussani
Department of Physiology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EG, United Kingdom
Pediatr Res 49:490-4. 2001..Although the effects of maternal nutrition on fetal growth have been extensively studied, comparatively little is known about the effects of ..
- Gestational nutrition improves outcomes of vaginal deliveries in Jordan: an epidemiologic screeningHiba A Bawadi
Department of Nutrition and Food Technology, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Nutr Res 30:110-7. 2010..This retrospective survey tested the hypothesis that maternal nutrition (macronutrients intake, micronutrients intake, and weight gain) during gestation will impact gestational ..
- A molecular and genetic view of human renal and urinary tract malformationsA S Woolf
Nephro Urology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, England, United Kingdom
Kidney Int 58:500-12. 2000..are mutations, chemical and pharmaceutical teratogens, obstruction of fetal urinary flow, and alterations of maternal nutrition. The focus of this review is to consider how mutations and other alterations of gene expression during ..
- The policy challenge of coexisting undernutrition and nutrition-related chronic diseasesW Philip T James
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the International Obesity Task Force, 231 North Gower Street, London NWI 2NS, UK
Matern Child Nutr 1:197-203. 2005..The UN's Standing Committee on Nutrition's commission highlighted the crucial role of maternal nutrition and low birthweights, the need for a life cycle approach to prevention and the current global effects of ..
- A practical approach to maternal phenylketonuria managementF Maillot
Charles Dent Metabolic Unit, The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK
J Inherit Metab Dis 30:198-201. 2007..in the target range (100-250 micromol/L) before and throughout the pregnancy, and to ensure adequate maternal nutrition and appropriate weight gain...
- Animal models of placental angiogenesisL P Reynolds
Center for Nutrition and Pregnancy, Department of Animal and Range Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105 5727, USA
Placenta 26:689-708. 2005..Lastly, the recent development of animal models of compromised pregnancies, including those resulting from maternal nutrition (both restriction and excess), multiple fetuses, environmental stress (heat stress and high altitude), and ..
- Effect of early gestation feeding, birth weight, and gender of progeny on muscle fiber characteristics of pigs at slaughterG Bee
Swiss Federal Research Station for Animal Production, Posieux 1726, Switzerland
J Anim Sci 82:826-36. 2004b>Maternal nutrition and progeny birth weight affect muscle fiber development in the pig, thereby influencing early postnatal growth rate...
- The elimination of child poverty and the pivotal significance of the motherMichael A Crawford
Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition, London Metropolitan University, North Campus, 166 220 Holloway Rd, London N7 8DB
Nutr Health 19:175-86. 2008..It elimination will involve the elimination poor maternal nutrition, low birthweight and its life long consequences in chronic ill health and poor learning...
- Maternal nutrition and birth size among urban affluent and rural women in IndiaA N Kanade
Biometry and Nutrition Unit, Agharkar Research Institute, Pune, India
J Am Coll Nutr 27:137-45. 2008Varying results of worldwide intervention programs to pregnant mothers necessitate the need to understand the relationship between maternal nutrition and birth size among well nourished and undernourished mothers.
- Maternal nutrition and reproduction of daughters in wild house mice (Mus musculus)D Meikle
Department of Zoology, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056, USA
Reproduction 122:437-42. 2001..However, studies of sons born to females that were subjected to the same food deprivation protocol indicate that maternal food deprivation may have a much greater effect on the reproduction of sons than on that of daughters...
- Effects of exclusive breastfeeding for four versus six months on maternal nutritional status and infant motor development: results of two randomized trials in HondurasK G Dewey
Department of Nutrition and Program in International Nutrition, University of California, Davis, California 95616 8669, USA
J Nutr 131:262-7. 2001To examine whether the duration of exclusive breastfeeding affects maternal nutrition or infant motor development, we examined data from two studies in Honduras: the first with 141 infants of low-income primiparous women and the second ..
- A principal components approach to parent-to-newborn body composition associations in South IndiaSargoor R Veena
Epidemiology Research Unit, Holdsworth Memorial Hospital, Mysore, South India
BMC Pediatr 9:16. 2009Size at birth is influenced by environmental factors, like maternal nutrition and parity, and by genes. Birth weight is a composite measure, encompassing bone, fat and lean mass. These may have different determinants...
- Maternal nutritional status & practices & perinatal, neonatal mortality in rural Andhra Pradesh, IndiaMahtab S Bamji
Dangoria Charitable Trust, Hyderabad, India
Indian J Med Res 127:44-51. 2008..Impact of such a link worker on perinatal/ neonatal mortality has been positive. The present study attempts to examine the association of maternal nutrition and related factors with perinatal, and neonatal mortality in these villages.
- Maternal energy stores and diet composition during pregnancy program adolescent blood pressureL S Adair
Department of Nutrition, Schools of Public Health and Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27516 3997, USA
Circulation 104:1034-9. 2001..Human epidemiological studies that use birth weight as a proxy for fetal malnutrition fail to identify specific aspects of maternal nutrition responsible for programming.
- Why do foreign-born blacks have lower infant mortality than native-born blacks? New directions in African-American infant mortality researchKenneth D Rosenberg
Center for Child and Family Health, Oregon Division of Human Services, Portland 97232, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 94:770-8. 2002This study focuses attention on maternal nutrition and stress as possible reasons for excess black infant mortality after exploring lower infant mortality for the infants of foreign-born black mothers compared to native-born black mothers.
- Micronutrients and fetal growthCaroline H D Fall
MRC Environmental Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, Hampshire SO16 6YD, United Kingdom
J Nutr 133:1747S-1756S. 2003..The link between maternal nutrition and fetal nutrition is indirect...
- The Dutch famine and its long-term consequences for adult healthTessa Roseboom
Department of Clinical Epidemiology Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Early Hum Dev 82:485-91. 2006Small size at birth is linked with an increased risk of chronic diseases in later life. Poor maternal nutrition during gestation may contribute to restricted fetal growth, leading to increased disease susceptibility in later life...
- Intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR): epidemiology and etiologyAgustín Romo
Fetal Medicine Unit, Miguel Servet University Children s Hospital, Zaragoza, Spain
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 6:332-6. 2009..cardiac volume, etc, socioeconomic factors with key incidence in the mother's nutrition level, where a poor maternal nutrition level would be the key factor in this group...
- Early embryonic environment, the fetal pituitary-adrenal axis and the timing of parturitionI C McMillen
Centre for the Origins of Adult Health, Discipline of Physiology, School of Molecular and Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Sciences, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Endocr Res 30:845-50. 2004..We have also reported that a moderate restriction of maternal nutrition to during the periconceptional period (from 60 days before and for one week after conception) resulted in an ..
- Risk factors for isolated biliary atresia, National Birth Defects Prevention Study, 1997-2002Natalie S The
National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Med Genet A 143:2274-84. 2007..alcohol use, maternal illicit drug use, maternal health, maternal medication use, maternal vitamin use, and maternal nutrition. Infants of non-Hispanic black mothers were more likely to have biliary atresia than infants of non-Hispanic ..
- Low maternal nutrition during pregnancy reduces the number of Sertoli cells in the newborn lambBielli Alejandro
Department of Morphology and Development, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Uruguay, Montevideo
Reprod Fertil Dev 14:333-7. 2002..Depending on the ability of the Sertoli cell population to recover between birth and puberty, this may limit the ultimate number of Sertoli cells and, hence, the future capacity for sperm production and fertility...
- Bone mass in Indian children--relationships to maternal nutritional status and diet during pregnancy: the Pune Maternal Nutrition StudyA Ganpule
Diabetes Unit, Banoo Coyaji Building, KEM Hospital and Research Centre, Rasta Peth, Pune 4110011, Maharashtra, India
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:2994-3001. 2006..Six years postnatally, total body and total spine bone mineral content and bone mineral density (BMD) were measured using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) in the children (n = 698 of 762 live births) and both parents...
- Maternal protein-energy supplementation does not affect adolescent blood pressure in The GambiaSophie Hawkesworth
MRC International Nutrition Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 38:119-27. 2009Birthweight, and by inference maternal nutrition during pregnancy, is thought to be an important determinant of offspring blood pressure but the evidence base for this in humans is lacking data from randomized controlled trials.
- Increased maternal nutrition increases leptin expression in perirenal and subcutaneous adipose tissue in the postnatal lambB S Muhlhausler
Early Origins of Adult Health Research Group, Sansom Research Institute, University of South Australia, Adelaide 5000, Australia
Endocrinology 148:6157-63. 2007The present study tested the hypothesis that exposure to an increased level of maternal nutrition before birth results in altered expression of adipogenic, lipogenic, and adipokine genes in adipose tissue in early postnatal life...
- High fat diet-induced maternal obesity alters fetal hippocampal developmentMihai D Niculescu
Nutrition Research Institute, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, United States
Int J Dev Neurosci 27:627-33. 2009The importance of maternal nutrition for fetal brain development is increasingly recognized...
- Developmental plasticity of the microscopic placental architecture in relation to litter size variation in the common marmoset monkey (Callithrix jacchus)J N Rutherford
Institute for Policy Research, Laboratory for Human Biology Research, Department of Anthropology, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208 4100, USA
Placenta 30:105-10. 2009..demand, shaped by factors such as number of fetuses, may alter placental regulation of exchange, even when maternal nutrition restriction is not overt...
- Reducing stillbirths: behavioural and nutritional interventions before and during pregnancyMohammad Yawar Yakoob
Division of Maternal and Child Health, The Aga Khan University, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 9:S3. 2009..Interventions to reduce these risks could reduce the resulting burden of stillbirths, but the evidence for the impact of such interventions has not yet been comprehensively evaluated...
- The fetal origins hypothesis: placental insufficiency and inheritance versus maternal malnutrition in well-nourished populationsTore Henriksen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The National Hospital, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 81:112-4. 2002..Fetal malnutrition has two main causes, poor maternal nutrition and placental insufficiency...
- Maternal nutritional knowledge and child nutritional status in the Volta region of GhanaLily Yaa Appoh
Department of Psychology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Matern Child Nutr 1:100-10. 2005..Further analysis with logistic regression revealed that maternal nutrition knowledge was independently associated with nutritional status after the effects of other significant ..
- Histone modifications, not DNA methylation, cause transcriptional repression of p16 (CDKN2A) in the mammary glands of offspring of protein-restricted ratsShasha Zheng
Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
J Nutr Biochem 22:567-73. 2011b>Maternal nutrition during pregnancy is an important intrauterine factor that results in persistent alteration of the offspring epigenome and that associates with health outcome in later life...
- Polymorphisms located in the region containing BHMT and BHMT2 genes as maternal protective factors for orofacial cleftsAdrianna Mostowska
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Eur J Oral Sci 118:325-32. 2010..Because the effects of maternal nutrition on fetal development are well known, we decided to pursue the question of whether polymorphic variants of ..
- South Asian diets and insulin resistanceAnoop Misra
Department of Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, Fortis Hospital, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi 110070, India
Br J Nutr 101:465-73. 2009..Inadequate maternal nutrition in pregnancy, low birth weight and childhood 'catch-up' obesity may be important for the development of the ..
- Fetal endocrinology and development--manipulation and adaptation to long-term nutritional and environmental challengesM E Symonds
Academic Division of Child Health, School of Human Development, University Hospital, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Reproduction 121:853-62. 2001..In contrast, the adipose tissue of fetuses with accelerated growth, stimulated by increasing maternal nutrition in the second half of gestation, has more protein for the long form of the prolactin receptor and more ..
- Early onset of coronary artery disease after prenatal exposure to the Dutch famineRebecca C Painter
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics and the Developmental Origins of Adult Disease Centre, University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 84:322-7; quiz 466-7. 2006..Limited evidence suggests that maternal undernutrition at the time of conception is associated with increased cardiovascular disease risk in adult offspring...
- Relationship between maternal dietary patterns and hypospadiasChristianne A R de Kort
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology CREAL, Barcelona, Spain
Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 25:255-64. 2011Little is known about the role of maternal nutrition in the development of hypospadias, which is the most common urogenital congenital anomaly...
- Rapid growth in infancy: balancing the interests of the childLawrence T Weaver
Division of Developmental Medicine, University of Glasgow, and Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Glasgow, Scotland
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 43:428-32. 2006..it will be prudent to balance the short- and long-term interests of the child by endeavoring to (1) optimize maternal nutrition and health, to avoid low birth weight, (2) breast-feed ideally, (3) consider birth weight, gestation and ..
- Effects of maternal protein nutrition and subsequent grazing on chicory (Cichorium intybus) on parasitism and performance of lambsA Kidane
Animal Health, Scottish Agricultural College, West Mains Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JG, Scotland
J Anim Sci 88:1513-21. 2010..07) for the chicory compared with the grass/clover plots. There were no interactions (P > 0.10) between maternal nutrition and grazed forage type on performance or parasitological measurements...
- Hyperlipidic hypercholesterolemic diet in prepubertal rabbits affects gene expression in the embryo, restricts fetal growth and increases offspring susceptibility to obesityO Picone
INRA, UMR 1198 Biologie du Developpement et Reproduction, F 78350 Jouy en Josas, France
Theriogenology 75:287-99. 2011..05). These data illustrate the importance of maternal nutrition before and during gestation in the establishment and control of the growth trajectory of the conceptus and ..
- Increased maternal nutrition of sows has no beneficial effects on muscle fiber number or postnatal growth and has no impact on the meat quality of the offspringP M Nissen
Department of Food Science, Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences, Tjele, Denmark
J Anim Sci 81:3018-27. 2003..and concentrations and content of DNA and RNA of the offspring were not significantly affected by increased maternal nutrition. The ST muscle weight was lower in offspring from A25-50 than control sows (P = 0.019)...
- Consequences of birth weight for postnatal growth performance and carcass quality in pigs as related to myogenesisC Rehfeldt
Research Unit Muscle Biology and Growth, Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals, D 18196 Dummerstorf, Germany
J Anim Sci 84:E113-23. 2006..Interactions between maternal nutrition and the somatotropic axis in determining prenatal growth and myogenesis are worthy of further investigation.
- The mediating effect of maternal nutrition knowledge on the association between maternal schooling and child nutritional status in LesothoM T Ruel
, Guatemala, Guatemala
Am J Epidemiol 135:904-14. 1992The present study tested whether maternal nutrition knowledge was a mediating factor in the association between maternal schooling and child nutritional status, and whether the mechanism involved differed according to socioeconomic status...
- Perceptions of the role of maternal nutrition in HIV-positive breast-feeding women in MalawiMargaret E Bentley
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
J Nutr 135:945-9. 2005A neglected issue in the literature on maternal nutrition and HIV is how HIV-positive women perceive their own bodies, health, and well-being, particularly in light of their infection, and whether these perceptions influence their infant ..
- Evidence of infant blood pressure programming by maternal nutrition during pregnancy: a prospective randomized controlled intervention studyJonna Aaltonen
Functional Foods Forum, Department of Pediatrics, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
J Pediatr 152:79-84, 84.e1-2. 2008To evaluate the impact of maternal nutrition during pregnancy on infant blood pressure.
- Maternal nutrition and perinatal survivalD Rush
School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Health Popul Nutr 19:S217-64. 2001This review addresses the relationship between maternal nutrition and the survival of the foetus and infant...
- Effects of maternal nutrition and porcine growth hormone (pGH) treatment during gestation on endocrine and metabolic factors in sows, fetuses and pigs, skeletal muscle development, and postnatal growthCharlotte Rehfeldt
Division of Muscle Biology and Growth, Research Institute for the Biology of Farm Animals, D 18196 Dummerstorf, Germany
Domest Anim Endocrinol 27:267-85. 2004Prenatal growth is very complex and a highly integrated process. Both maternal nutrition and the maternal somatotropic axis play a significant role in coordinating nutrient partitioning and utilization between maternal, placental and ..
- The lifecycle effects of nutrition and body size on adult adiposity, diabetes and cardiovascular diseaseC S Yajnik
Diabetes Unit, KEM Hospital Research Centre, Rasta Peth, Pune, India
Obes Rev 3:217-24. 2002This study was undertaken to review the links between maternal nutrition, offspring's birth weight and the propensity to early insulin resistance and high diabetes rates in Indian adults...
- Vitamin B12 and folate concentrations during pregnancy and insulin resistance in the offspring: the Pune Maternal Nutrition StudyC S Yajnik
Diabetes Unit, KEM Hospital and Research Centre, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Diabetologia 51:29-38. 2008..We studied the association between maternal vitamin B12, folate and tHcy status during pregnancy, and offspring adiposity and insulin resistance at 6 years...
- Maternal nutrition: effects on health in the next generationCaroline Fall
MRC Epidemiology Resource Centre, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Indian J Med Res 130:593-9. 2009..Progress has been made in understanding the role of specific nutrients in the maternal diet. In the Pune Maternal Nutrition Study, low maternal vitamin B12 status predicted increased adiposity and insulin resistance in the children, ..
- Effects of maternal nuclear genome on the timing of puberty in mice offspringYuxun Zhou
Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Donghua University, Shanghai 201620, People s Republic of China
J Endocrinol 193:405-12. 2007..b>Maternal nutrition administration during late gestation in rats revealed that the time of onset of puberty in daughter rats was ..
- Deficits in trace fear conditioning in a rat model of fetal alcohol exposure: dose-response and timing effectsPamela S Hunt
Department of Psychology, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA 23187 8795, USA
Alcohol 43:465-74. 2009..confirming that many of the observed effects are the result of alcohol exposure, and not secondary to poor maternal nutrition or adverse home environments...
- Nutritional regulation of fetal growthFrank H Bloomfield
Liggins Institute, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Nestle Nutr Inst Workshop Ser 74:79-89. 2013..In contrast, manipulating maternal nutrition during later stages of pregnancy has a smaller than expected effect on fetal growth...
- Developmental determinants of blood pressure in adultsLinda Adair
Department of Nutrition, Schools of Public Health and Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 8120, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 25:407-34. 2005..on proposed mechanisms and epidemiologic evidence for developmental origins of adult BP and hypertension, considering associations with birth weight, maternal nutrition during pregnancy, child growth patterns, and infant feeding.
- Schoolchildren, maternal nutrition and generating healthy brains: the importance of lifecycle education for fertility, health and peaceSimon H House
The McCarrison Society for Nutrition and Health, International Society of Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Medicine, Association for Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health, North America
Nutr Health 20:51-76. 2009..There could be no better investment financially, let alone in enhancing people's lives...
- The epidemiology of preterm labor--a global perspectivePhilip Steer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, UK
J Perinat Med 33:273-6. 2005..should predominantly be aimed at the prevention and treatment of infectious disease, and the improvement of maternal nutrition. Without this, medical intervention tends to increase the rate of preterm birth without corresponding ..
- Understandings of prenatal nutrition among Argentine womenCamber M Hess
School of Nursing, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, USA
Health Care Women Int 33:153-67. 2012b>Maternal nutrition is an important determinant of birth outcome and infant health...
- Maternal dietary restriction and selenium supply alters messenger ribonucleic acid expression of angiogenic factors in maternal intestine, mammary gland, and fetal jejunal tissues during late gestation in pregnant ewe lambsT L Neville
Center for Nutrition and Pregnancy, Department of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota 58108, USA
J Anim Sci 88:2692-702. 2010..Data indicate that expression of angiogenic factors and receptors in maternal intestine, mammary gland, and fetal jejunum are responsive to maternal nutrition and likely explain observed changes in tissue vascularity.
- Maternal nutrition affects reproductive output and sex allocation in a lizard with environmental sex determinationDaniel A Warner
School of Biological Sciences, University of Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Proc Biol Sci 274:883-90. 2007..These responses to maternal nutrition generate a link between sex and offspring size, in a direction likely to enhance maternal fitness if large ..
- Identifying placental epigenetic alterations in an intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) rat model induced by gestational protein deficiencyStella Marie Reamon-Buettner
Toxicology and Environmental Hygiene, Fraunhofer Institute for Toxicology and Experimental Medicine, Nikolai Fuchs Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany Electronic address
Reprod Toxicol 45:117-24. 2014Poor maternal nutrition during gestation can lead to intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR), a main cause of low birth weight associated with high neonatal morbidity and mortality...
- Mouse early extra-embryonic lineages activate compensatory endocytosis in response to poor maternal nutritionCongshan Sun
Centre for Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Development 141:1140-50. 2014..Moreover, activation appears mediated through RhoA GTPase signalling. Our data indicate early embryos regulate and stabilise endocytosis as a mechanism to compensate for poor maternal nutrient provision. ..
- Adaptive responses by mouse early embryos to maternal diet protect fetal growth but predispose to adult onset diseaseAdam J Watkins
School of Biological Sciences, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 7PX, United Kingdom
Biol Reprod 78:299-306. 2008Poor maternal nutrition during pregnancy can alter postnatal phenotype and increase susceptibility to adult cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. However, underlying mechanisms are largely unknown...
- Your faith or mine: a pregnancy spacing intervention in an ultra-orthodox Jewish community in IsraelDaphna Birenbaum-Carmeli
Faculty of Welfare and Health Sciences, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
Reprod Health Matters 16:185-91. 2008..Thus, maternal nutrition, pelvic floor tone, dental health, maternal exhaustion and competition over number of children were added...
- The role of oxygen in prenatal growth: studies in the chick embryoDino A Giussani
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge, UK
J Physiol 585:911-7. 2007..could be isolated, by assessing them directly without alteration to the maternal or placental physiology or maternal nutrition during development...
- Epigenetic manifestations in diet-related disordersE C M Mariman
Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics 1:232-9. 2008..At the same time, maternal nutrition might be used to actively direct fetal development with consequences for later life performance such as ..
- Maternal stress and placental vascular function and remodelingLawrence P Reynolds
Department of Animal Sciences, NDSU 7630, P O Box 6050, Fargo, ND 58103 6050, USA
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 11:564-93. 2013..We then summarize our current understanding of how maternal stress, including inadequate maternal nutrition as well as the application of assisted reproductive technologies (ART), leads to compromised placental ..
- Deaths from cerebrovascular diseases correlated to month of birth: elevated risk of death from subarachnoid hemorrhage among summer-bornK Nonaka
Department of Hygiene, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Biometeorol 44:182-5. 2000It has been suggested that maternal nutrition, and fetal and infant growth have an important effect on the risk of cardiovascular disease in adult life...
- Priorities for future public health research in orofacial cleftsMahsa M Yazdy
National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 44:351-7. 2007..Research gaps identified by the participants for additional public health research included: the roles of maternal nutrition, obesity, and diabetes in the etiology of OFCs; psychosocial outcomes for children with OFCs; the quality of ..
- Risk factors of fetal macrosomia: role of maternal nutritionWalid Denguezli
Department of Obstetric and Gynaecology, University Hospital Fattouma Bourguiba, Monastir, Tunisia
Tunis Med 87:564-8. 2009..To assess the effect of maternal diet during pregnancy on the risk of delivering a large for gestational baby (macrosome)...
- Maternal undernutrition programs tissue-specific epigenetic changes in the glucocorticoid receptor in adult offspringGhazala Begum
Faculties of Life Sciences and Medical and Human Sciences, Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, University of Manchester, 3 016 AV Hill Building, Manchester M13 9PT United Kingdom
Endocrinology 154:4560-9. 2013..Overall, these results suggest that moderate changes in maternal nutrition, around the time of conception, signal life-long and tissue-specific epigenetic alterations in a key gene ..
- Maternal nutrition, low nephron number, and hypertension in later life: pathways of nutritional programmingSusan P Bagby
OHSU Heart Research Center and Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine and Research Service, Oregon Health and Science University and Portland Veterans Administration Medical Center, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Nutr 137:1066-72. 2007..Effective interventions have not yet been defined. Suboptimal maternal nutrition, pervasive in both developed and developing countries, offers a window of opportunity to enhance the ..
- Influence of gender roles and rising food prices on poor, pregnant women's eating and food provisioning practices in Dhaka, BangladeshAdrienne V Levay
James P, Grant School of Public Health, 5th Floor Level 6, ICDDR, B Building, BRAC University, 68 Shahid Tajuddin Ahmed Sharani, Mohakhali, Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Reprod Health 10:53. 2013..While there is an abundance of useful quantitative research centered on maternal nutrition and food insecurity measurements in Bangladesh, missing is an understanding of how food insecurity is ..
- Selenoproteins and maternal nutritionA C Pappas
Department of Nutritional Physiology and Feeding, Faculty of Animal Science and Aquaculture, Agricultural University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 151:361-72. 2008..b>Maternal nutrition affects the performance and health of the progeny...
- Maternal nutrient restriction and the fetal left ventricle: decreased angiotensin receptor expressionJeffrey S Gilbert
Center for Pregnancy and Newborn Research, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, USA
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 3:27. 2005Adequate maternal nutrition during gestation is requisite for fetal nutrition and development...
- Diet during pregnancy, neonatal outcomes and later healthVivienne M Moore
Department of Public Health, University of Adelaide, Australia
Reprod Fertil Dev 17:341-8. 2005..Consequences of inadequate maternal nutrition, for the offspring, may depend on timing during gestation, reflecting critical windows for fetal development...
- Differential effects of maternal obesity and weight loss in the periconceptional period on the epigenetic regulation of hepatic insulin-signaling pathways in the offspringLisa M Nicholas
Sansom Institute for Health Research, School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences, University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
FASEB J 27:3786-96. 2013..01) expression in the lamb. Our findings highlight the sensitivity of the epigenome to maternal nutrition around conception and the need for dietary interventions that maximize metabolic benefits and minimize ..
- Prevention and treatment of allergic asthma in pregnancy: from conventional drugs to new therapeutical approachesAngela P Cadavid
Grupo Reproducción, Universidad de Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 12:758-64. 2011..This proposal fits with the recently appreciated approaches to allergy prevention for the newborn child by a balanced maternal nutrition and omega-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid consumption.
- Gender-linked hypertension in offspring of lard-fed pregnant ratsImran Y Khan
Maternal and Fetal Research Unit, GKT Department of Women s Health, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Hypertension 41:168-75. 2003Epidemiological studies suggest an association between maternal nutrition and offspring cardiovascular disease...
- Lactational amenorrhoea in well-nourished Toba women of Formosa, ArgentinaClaudia Valeggia
Department of Anthropology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
J Biosoc Sci 36:573-95. 2004..This study sought to disentangle the relative impact that intense breast-feeding practices and maternal nutrition have on the regulation of ovarian function in nursing women...
- Reproductive success and failure: the role of winter body mass in reproductive allocation in Norwegian mooseJos M Milner
Faculty of Applied Ecology and Agricultural Sciences, Hedmark University College, Koppang, Norway
Oecologia 172:995-1005. 2013..positioning system (GPS)-collared females throughout the reproductive cycle and focused on the role of maternal nutrition during gestation in determining reproductive success using a quasi-experimental approach to manipulate ..
- Impact of maternal nutrition during pregnancy on pituitary gonadotrophin gene expression and ovarian development in growth-restricted and normally grown late gestation sheep fetusesP Da Silva
Rowett Research Institute, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, UK
Reproduction 123:769-77. 2002The influence of maternal nutrition during pregnancy on anterior pituitary gonadotrophin gene expression and ovarian development in sheep fetuses during late gestation was investigated...
- Maternal nutritional plane and selenium supply during gestation impact visceral organ mass and intestinal growth and vascularity of neonatal lamb offspringA M Meyer
Center for Nutrition and Pregnancy, Department of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo 58108, USA
J Anim Sci 91:2628-39. 2013..Despite similar small intestinal mass at 20 d of age, jejunal growth, vascularity, and gene expression were altered by maternal nutrition during gestation.
- Intrauterine growth restriction alters term fetal baboon hypothalamic appetitive peptide balanceCun Li
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Center for Pregnancy and Newborn Research, The University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Endocrinol 217:275-82. 2013..We developed a fetal baboon IUGR model resulting from reduced maternal nutrition. Pregnant baboons were fed ad libitum, controls (CTR; n=24), or 70% CTR diet to produce IUGR (n=14)...
- A lifecourse study of risk for hyperinsulinaemia, dyslipidaemia and obesity (the central metabolic syndrome) at age 49-51 yearsL Parker
Paediatric and Lifecourse Epidemiology Research Group, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Sir James Spence Institute of Child Health, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Diabet Med 20:406-15. 2003Suboptimal maternal nutrition and catch-up growth in early childhood predispose to insulin resistance and other components of metabolic syndrome in later life...
- Expression of agouti-related peptide, neuropeptide Y, pro-opiomelanocortin and the leptin receptor isoforms in fetal mouse brain from pregnant dams on a protein-restricted dietPaul L Terroni
Centre for Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, University of Southampton, School of Medicine, Princess Anne Hospital, Level F mailpoint 887, Coxford Road, Southampton, UK
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 140:111-5. 2005..Levels of expression for these genes were altered in brains of E12 fetuses from pregnant dams on a protein-restricted diet, suggesting that the fetal brain is responsive to changes in maternal nutrition prior to birth.
- The effect of maternal undernutrition on ovine fetal growthJ C Osgerby
Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL9 7TA, UK
J Endocrinol 173:131-41. 2002Modifications in maternal nutrition during pregnancy can significantly disrupt fetal growth and subsequent post-natal health and survival...
- Effects of maternal undernutrition during early pregnancy on apoptosis regulators in the ovine fetal ovaryR G Lea
Rowett Research Institute, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen, AB21 9SB, UK
Reproduction 131:113-24. 2006..At day 50, maternal nutrition had no effect on Ki67, predominant in germ cells, or Bax and Mcl-1, predominant in the oocytes...
- Epigenetics and maternal nutrition: nature v. nurtureRebecca Simmons
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital Philadelphia and University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Nutr Soc 70:73-81. 2011..The contributions of histone acetylation, histone methylation and DNA methylation to the process of adipogenesis in vivo remain to be evaluated...
- In utero exposure and breast cancer development: an epigenetic perspectiveJacob Hill
Helfgott Research Institute, National College of Natural Medicine, Portland, Oregon
J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 33:239-45. 2014..Identifying the influence of environmental toxicants, hormonal exposure, maternal nutrition, and maternal disease on fetal epigenetics may have potential for development of new therapeutic approaches ..
- Pre- and early postnatal nongenetic determinants of type 2 diabetesSusan E Ozanne
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QR, UK
Expert Rev Mol Med 4:1-14. 2002..This effect can exist independently of genetic factors. There is also direct evidence that poor maternal nutrition and maternal smoking cause both a reduction in birthweight and subsequent loss of glucose tolerance...
- Do neurotrophins regulate the feto-placental development?Sylvain Mayeur
Universite Lille Nord de France, Unité Environnement Périnatal et Croissance, EA 4489, Equipe dénutritions maternelles périnatales, Université de Lille1, Bâtiment SN4, F 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq, France
Med Hypotheses 76:726-8. 2011..and peripheral fetal organs, including the placenta; (2) neurotrophins may constitute a link between the maternal nutrition and the fetal nutrients demand and thus could act as a nutrient sensor for the development and efficiency of ..
- Maternal high-fat feeding through pregnancy and lactation predisposes mouse offspring to molecular insulin resistance and fatty liverNicole G Ashino
Universidade Braz Cubas, CEP 08 773 380, Mogi das Cruzes, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Nutr Biochem 23:341-8. 2012..It is interesting that all changes observed were independent of postweaning diet in 14-week-old offspring. Therefore, these data further reinforce the importance of maternal nutrition to adult offspring health.
- The epigenome as a potential mediator of cancer and disease prevention in prenatal developmentPushpinder Kaur
Linus Pauling Science Center, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Nutr Rev 71:441-57. 2013..Recently, many studies have demonstrated the impact of maternal nutrition on the fetal epigenome...
- Impact of a clinic-based growth monitoring programme on maternal nutrition knowledge in LesothoM T Ruel
Institute of Nutrition of Central America and Panama INCAP, Guatemala
Int J Epidemiol 21:59-65. 1992..These need to be better incorporated into present clinic nutrition education. Whether improvements in growth monitoring would further significantly improve nutrition education remains to be seen...
- Sources of food affect dietary adequacy of Inuit women of childbearing age in Arctic CanadaSara E Schaefer
Nutrition Research Institute, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kannapolis, NC 28081, USA
J Health Popul Nutr 29:454-64. 2011..quality of diet, which is of particular concern for women of childbearing age due to the potential impact of maternal nutrition status on the next generation...
- Maternal folic acid supplementation to dams on marginal protein level alters brain fatty acid levels of their adult offspringShobha Rao
Biometry and Nutrition Unit, Agharkar Research Institute, Pune 411004, India
Metabolism 55:628-34. 2006Studies on fetal programming of adult diseases have highlighted the importance of maternal nutrition during pregnancy. Folic acid and long-chain essential polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFAs) have independent effects on fetal growth...
- Pre Natal Nutrition and Adult DiseaseL Lumey; Fiscal Year: 2004..The specific exposures, including any potential role of maternal nutrition, have not been determined...
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The candidate's five-year career goal is to become an independent investigator in the areas of maternal nutrition and placental nutrient transport and metabolism...
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Abstract The candidate's five-year career goal is to become an independent investigator in the areas of maternal nutrition and placental nutrient transport and metabolism...
- Exploring persistent epigenetic changes after prenatal famine exposure in humansL H Lumey; Fiscal Year: 2010..and men born in 1944-1945 to examine in the next two years whether the prenatal environment and specifically maternal nutrition in pregnancy are associated with changes in genomic DNA methylation levels in adulthood...
- Maternal Dietary Patterns and Child Weight StatusChantel L Martin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research studies suggest that the origins of obesity may be as early as during fetal development and maternal nutrition during pregnancy may play a role in programming the fetus for later development of obesity...
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted GenesCathrine Hoyo; Fiscal Year: 2013..from which we will evaluate the methylation profile and loss of imprinting in IGF2 and DLK1 in relation to maternal nutrition. At ages one, two and three, we will collect buccal cells, infant data on usual diet, weight and height ..
- Maternal nutrient restriction: Effects on offspring immune functionMark J Nijland; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Poor maternal nutrition during pregnancy has been associated with increased neonatal mortality and susceptibility to infection and a higher incidence of chronic diseases including cardiovascular ..
- Molecular Basis and Consequences of Early Developmental Epigenetic ProgrammingDavid Serre; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that maternal nutrition influences the intrauterine environment and can induce genome-wide DNA methylation changes in multiple ..
- The Role of Maternal Nutrition in the Teratogenesis of Alcohol in HumansRobert Colin Carter; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Undernutrition in Pregnancy and Developmental Programming of Vascular FunctionChengwen Sun; Fiscal Year: 2010..have set forth two specific aims that address our primary objective of determining the mechanism(s) whereby maternal nutrition during pregnancy alters endothelial regulation of coronary arterial tone...
- Exploring Interactions between Folate and Environmental Risk Factors for AutismREBECCA JEAN SCHMIDT; Fiscal Year: 2013..As the first researchers to examine maternal nutrition in association with autism risk, we found that mothers of children with autism were significantly less ..
- Pre- and peri-natal predictors of childhood obesityMatthew W Gillman; Fiscal Year: 2013..from animal experiments, they raise several questions: 7 To what extent are prenatal factors such as maternal nutrition (e.g...
- Informing Evidence-based Maternal Weight Gain Guidelines for Twin PregnanciesJENNIFER ANNE HUTCHEON; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project directly responds to PA-12-061 for research on the effects of maternal nutrition on mothers, infants and children...
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI of placental circulationAntonio Frias; Fiscal Year: 2013..Of growing concern is maternal nutrition during pregnancy due to the global obesity epidemic and the availability and consumption of a high calorie/..
- Centers for Birth Defects Research and Prevention (CBDRPs)Charlotte A Hobbs; Fiscal Year: 2013..single nucleotide polymorphisms), pro-oxidant lifestyle factors (smoking, alcohol, obesity), maternal nutrition (e.g., low dietary folate), and maternal innate immunity (impaired function in immune response genes)...
- The Role of Leptin in Placental DevelopmentLaura Clamon Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2011..development is a complex process that involves interactions among multiple cell types and may be affected by maternal nutrition during pregnancy...
- The Global Network and Preconception Maternal NutritionNancy F Krebs; Fiscal Year: 2013..Network including the development and leadership of Common Network projects as exemplified by Preconception Maternal Nutrition. Study Objective: Determine the public health benefits in resource-poor populations of providing a ..
- Transgenerational inheritance of prenatal obesogen exposureToshihiro Shioda; Fiscal Year: 2013..Prenatal and early postnatal events such as maternal nutrition, drug, and chemical exposure are received, remembered, and then manifested in health consequences later in ..
- Interdisciplinary Center on Epigenetics Science and SocietyNancy Press; Fiscal Year: 2012..cancer therapies, but it also creates vulnerabilities, such as lifelong risk of disease from inadequate maternal nutrition or nurturing...
- Role of maternal diet and allelic imbalance in behavior.William Valdar; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goal of this proposal is to identify genes whose actions are modulated by maternal nutrition and that influence behavior in adult offspring...
- Developmental Programming by Mismatch of Pre-and Postnatal NurtitionMark J Nijland; Fiscal Year: 2011..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE (provided by applicant): Poor maternal nutrition is prevalent in the USA where food is abundant postnatally...
- Epigenomics Data Analysis and Coordination Center at Baylor College of MedicineAleksandar Milosavljevic; Fiscal Year: 2013..Importantly, because epigenomic phenomena are affected by nutrition and environment, including maternal nutrition during pregnancy, increased understanding of epigenomics may lead to better health through changes in human ..
- Maternal Nutrition Education and Early Childhood Caries: A Randomized Field TrialBENJAMIN WILK CHAFFEE; Fiscal Year: 2012..public health challenges from both persistent under nutrition and an increasingly overweight population, maternal nutrition counseling to improve feeding practices from the very start of life may prove particularly impactful...
- Study of Neural Tube Defects Etiology: Genome and ExposomeHuiping Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2013..The results of our studies will help defining the relationships among maternal exposure, maternal nutrition, immune responses, maternal/embryonic genetics, and NTD risk...
- Hormonal and Nutritional Regulation of Hypothalamic NeurogenesisSebastien G Bouret; Fiscal Year: 2013..We also suggest that alteration of maternal nutrition affects neurogenesis in the hypothalamus of the offspring...
- Changing Chronic Illness Trajectories among Native HawaiiansMARY ONEHA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Obesity is the common link among many disparities. Our target is to reduce perinatal obesity through improving maternal nutrition and breastfeeding durations;thus, improving the health trajectory of Native Hawaiian children.
- The Developmental Origins of Disease and Deterioration in Old AgeDavid J Barker; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specific Aim 1: To determine how maternal nutrition and childhood living conditions predict all cause mortality, taking into account socio-economic conditions ..
- Nutrient Signals and Programming of Pancreas DevelopmentErnesto Bernal-Mizrachi; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): Extensive epidemiological evidence in humans and animal models suggests that poor maternal nutrition increases the susceptibility of the offspring to develop type-2 diabetes...
- Maternal-Fetal Nutrition Controls Expression of Cell Cycle Genes in OffspringYuan Xiang Pan; Fiscal Year: 2010..mammary gland cancer risk is unclear, which retards our further determining the physiological role of maternal nutrition in cancer prevention...
- PRENATAL ALCOHOL IN SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME AND STILLBIRTH (PASS)HENDRIK JOHANNES ODENDAAL; Fiscal Year: 2013..weeks and remains present at 1 postnatal month and 12 postnatal months;and 3) this alcohol toxicity is modified by other environmental and placental factors, such as maternal nutrition, maternal smoking, and placental perfusion failure.
- Trajectory of FASD across the Lifespan: New Understandings in InterventionPHILIP ALAN MAY; Fiscal Year: 2013..a detailed case control study of maternal nutrition in the prenatal period...
- The Role of Leptin in Placental DevelopmentLaura Schulz; Fiscal Year: 2009..development is a complex process that involves interactions among multiple cell types and may be affected by maternal nutrition during pregnancy...
- Is bisphenol A diglycidyl ether (BADGE) and obesogen?Bruce Blumberg; Fiscal Year: 2013..Prenatal and early postnatal events such as maternal nutrition, drug, and chemical exposure are received, remembered, and then manifested in health consequences later in ..
- Exposure to Indoor Air Pollutants and Birth OutcomesAmna Siddiqui; Fiscal Year: 2005..Known risk factors include poor maternal nutrition, low socioeconomic status, inadequate health care and smoking...
- NUTRIENT BIOMARKERS, GENES AND OROFACIAL CLEFTSRonald Munger; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our multidisciplinary study of maternal nutrition and risk of clefting in the context of genes related to metabolic pathways may lead to a better ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY OF RISKS TO REPRODUCTIVE OUTCOMESJudith Brown; Fiscal Year: 1993..It is postulated that maternal nutrition exposures before and during pregnancy, and changes in them over time, influence birth weight...
- Fetal Programming Fructose and Insulin ResistanceSHAWN DONKIN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Available information indicates that maternal nutrition causes lasting changes in expression of insulin responsive genes in liver of the offspring as predisposing ..
- Sleep and Adiposity: A Prospective Twin StudyXiaobin Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..in which numerous potential confounding factors-including age, gestational age, pregnancy complications, maternal nutrition, environmental exposure, and parental socioeconomic status-are precisely matched, can minimize confounding ..
- RAPID ISOLATION OF DIET-RESPONSIVE OBESITY GENESCraig Warden; Fiscal Year: 2009..Maternal effects refer to the observation that maternal nutrition or genotype can program obesity of progeny...
- MATERNAL NUTRITION AND PREGNANCY OUTCOMECarl Keen; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- PROGRAMMING GLUCOCORTICOID SECRETION DURING FETAL LIFEDavid Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2003..It also has the potential to provide outcome measures in trials of maternal nutrition or other interventions to improve fetal growth and well-being, and by identifying affected individuals early ..
- Obesity development and CVD risk factor clustering in Filipino women & offspringLinda Adair; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Effect of Health on Education & Work in Filipino YouthLinda Adair; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Prenatal Nutrition and Adverse Birth Outcomes in HIV-Infected Women in MalawiLinda Adair; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nutrition, Fetal Growth, and Placental AngiogenesisLawrence P Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- THE MAJOR ANGIOGENIC FACTORS IN PLACENTAL ANGIOGENESISLawrence Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- The Feasibility of Replacement Feeding as an HIV Prevention Method in MalawiMargaret Bentley; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Infant Care, Feeding, and Risk of ObesityMargaret Bentley; Fiscal Year: 2008..For type specifications, see instructions on page 6.) j RESEARCH GRANT ! TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers Face Page .' 1 Description, ..
- Mechanisms by which GDM Leads to Diabetes in OffspringRebecca Simmons; Fiscal Year: 2005..non-F2 animals. ..
- Programming of gene expression during fetal lifeS Ozanne; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- BETA-2 ADRENERGIC RECEPTOR POLYMORPHISMS AND ASTHMAAugusto Litonjua; Fiscal Year: 2002..End of Abstract) ..
- Pregnancy Related Weight Gain: A Link to ObesityAnna Maria Siega Riz; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data, both the quantitative and qualitative, will be used to identify modifiable behaviors for pregnant women that are associated with gaining weight above the recommended ranges and postpartum weight retention. ..
- From embryo to adult: mechanisms of fetal programmingTom Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2006..in vitro treatment for human infertility and (b) in the wider context of the established link between poor maternal nutrition and increased risk of adult onset disease, such as coronary heart disease, stroke and hypertension (fetal ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Ovarian Follicular ActivationJOANNE FORTUNE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Elucidation of these fundamental mechanisms has practical implications for the development of new contraceptive technologies and alleviation of infertility. ..
- WATER COMPARTMENTALIZATION IN CHRONIC FETAL ANEMIALowell Davis; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- IRON SUPPLEMENTS AND ZINC IN PREGNANCY AND LACTATIONJanet King; Fiscal Year: 2001..Results from this comprehensive, longitudinal study will provide new data on the effects of iron supplementation on zinc utilization during pregnancy and lactation. ..
- Arginine and Ovine Model for Fetal Growth RestrictionGuoyao Wu; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will ultimately promote favorable pregnancy outcomes while saving billions of healthcare dollars in the U.S. and worldwide. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTOR, OBESITY & INSULIN RESISTANCEJames Young; Fiscal Year: 2001..A principal tenet of this proposal is that early life events which predispose animals to become obese differ from those which promote subsequent development in insulin resistance. ..
- Effects of Maternal Diet on SNS Development in OffspringJames Young; Fiscal Year: 2009..Identifying connections among growth, SNS development and obesity offers a potential means for identifying obesity-prone individuals early in life with the ultimate objective of intervening in an effective and appropriate manner. ..
- Longitudinal Lung Function Changes--Aging/Genetics/RiskAugusto Litonjua; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results of this proposal will shed light on potential mechanisms that affect lung function decline in aging. ..