Summary: Process of generating a genetic MUTATION. It may occur spontaneously or be induced by MUTAGENS.
Publications315 found, 100 shown here
- Genes required for mycobacterial growth defined by high density mutagenesisChristopher M Sassetti
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Mol Microbiol 48:77-84. 2003....
- FACS-optimized mutants of the green fluorescent protein (GFP)B P Cormack
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5402, USA
Gene 173:33-8. 1996..coli, the folding of the mutant proteins is more efficient than folding of wt GFP. These two properties contribute to a greatly increased (100-fold) fluorescence intensity, making the mutants useful for a number of applications...
- Rapid "open-source" engineering of customized zinc-finger nucleases for highly efficient gene modificationMorgan L Maeder
Molecular Pathology Unit and Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Mol Cell 31:294-301. 2008..In summary, OPEN provides an "open-source" method for rapidly engineering highly active zinc-finger arrays, thereby enabling broader practice, development, and application of ZFN technology for biological research and gene therapy...
- Natural mutagenesis of human genomes by endogenous retrotransposonsRebecca C Iskow
Genetics and Molecular Biology Graduate Program, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Cell 141:1253-61. 2010..technologies are not capable of detecting most of these young insertions, and the true extent of germline mutagenesis by endogenous human retrotransposons has been difficult to examine...
- Improved somatic mutagenesis in zebrafish using transcription activator-like effector nucleases (TALENs)Finola E Moore
Molecular Pathology Unit and Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e37877. 2012..induced DNA mutations at genomic target sites while only a subset of CoDA ZFNs exhibited detectable rates of mutagenesis. TALENs also exhibited higher mutation rates than CoDA ZFNs that had not been pre-screened using a bacterial ..
- APOBEC3G contributes to HIV-1 variation through sublethal mutagenesisHolly A Sadler
Institute for Molecular Virology, 18 242 Moos Tower, 515 Delaware St SE, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Virol 84:7396-404. 2010..cytosine deaminase activity that attacks the nascent viral cDNA during reverse transcription, causing lethal mutagenesis. It has been suggested, but not formally shown, that APOBEC3G can also induce sublethal mutagenesis, which ..
- Efficient transposition of the piggyBac (PB) transposon in mammalian cells and miceSheng Ding
Institute of Developmental Biology and Molecular Medicine, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, 220 Handan Road, Shanghai 200433, China
Cell 122:473-83. 2005..used for genetic manipulation in lower organisms, including generating transgenic animals and insertional mutagenesis. In contrast, the usage of transposons in mice and other vertebrate systems is still limited due to the lack of ..
- Initial sequencing and comparative analysis of the mouse genomeRobert H Waterston
Genome Sequencing Center, Washington University School of Medicine, Campus Box 8501, 4444 Forest Park Avenue, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
Nature 420:520-62. 2002....
- Increased mutagenesis and unique mutation signature associated with mitotic gene conversionWade M Hicks
Department of Biology and Rosenstiel Center, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA 02454 9110, USA
Science 329:82-5. 2010..These observations suggest that increased DSB frequencies in oncogene-activated mammalian cells may also increase the probability of acquiring mutations required for transition to a cancerous state...
- Retroviral elements and their hosts: insertional mutagenesis in the mouse germ lineIrina A Maksakova
Terry Fox Laboratory, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PLoS Genet 2:e2. 2006..The prevalence of mouse ERV activity indicates that the genome of the laboratory mouse is presently behind in the "arms race" against invasion...
- En passant mutagenesis: a two step markerless red recombination systemB Karsten Tischer
Institut fur Virologie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 634:421-30. 2010..In addition to RecA-based shuttle mutagenesis, Red recombination is commonly used for sequence modification...
- A variant of yellow fluorescent protein with fast and efficient maturation for cell-biological applicationsTakeharu Nagai
Laboratory for Cell Function and Dynamics, Advanced Technology Development Center, Brain Science Institute, RIKEN, 2 1 Hirosawa, Wako City, Saitama, 351 0198, Japan
Nat Biotechnol 20:87-90. 2002..Over the last several years, mutagenesis studies have improved folding properties of GFP (refs 1,2)...
- High efficiency mutagenesis, repair, and engineering of chromosomal DNA using single-stranded oligonucleotidesH M Ellis
Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory, Division of Basic Sciences, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, P.O. Box B, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:6742-6. 2001..Beta protein and ssDNA may prove generally applicable for repairing DNA in many organisms...
- Human quiescin-sulfhydryl oxidase, QSOX1: probing internal redox steps by mutagenesisErin J Heckler
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA
Biochemistry 47:4955-63. 2008..The four other cysteine residues chosen for mutagenesis, C70, C73, C449, and C452, are all crucial for efficient oxidation of reduced RNase...
- Discovery of rare mutations in populations: TILLING by sequencingHelen Tsai
Department of Plant Biology and Genome Center, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Plant Physiol 156:1257-68. 2011..Discovery was robust both in rice and wheat using either bidimensional or tridimensional pooling schemes. The method compared favorably with other molecular and computational approaches, providing high sensitivity and specificity...
- ENU mutagenesis, a way forward to understand gene functionAbraham Acevedo-Arozena
MRC Mammalian Genetics Unit, Harwell, Oxfordshire, OX11 0RD, United Kingdom
Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 9:49-69. 2008..N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea (ENU) mutagenesis has been widely used for both approaches to generate mouse mutants...
- Mutagenesis and mapping of a mouse gene, Clock, essential for circadian behaviorM H Vitaterna
Department of Neurobiology and Physiology, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208
Science 264:719-25. 1994..The power of ENU mutagenesis combined with the ability to clone murine genes by map position provides a generally applicable approach to ..
- Estimating the per-base-pair mutation rate in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiaeGregory I Lang
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Genetics 178:67-82. 2008..44x10(-10) at CAN1) and we propose a definition for the effective target size of genes (the probability that a mutation inactivates the gene) that acknowledges that the mutation rate is nonuniform across the genome...
- The ClosTron: Mutagenesis in Clostridium refined and streamlinedJohn T Heap
BBSRC Sustainable BioEnergy Centre, School of Molecular Medical Sciences, Centre for Biomolecular Sciences, The University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, UK
J Microbiol Methods 80:49-55. 2010The recent development of the ClosTron Group II intron directed mutagenesis tool for Clostridium has advanced genetics in this genus, and here we present several significant improvements...
- A genetic screen for mutations affecting embryogenesis in zebrafishW Driever
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown 02129, USA
Development 123:37-46. 1996Systematic genome-wide mutagenesis screens for embryonic phenotypes have been instrumental in the understanding of invertebrate and plant development...
- The mechanisms of UV mutagenesisHironobu Ikehata
Division of Genome and Radiation Biology, Department of Cell Biology, Graduate School of Medicine, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
J Radiat Res 52:115-25. 2011..In contrast, it has been demonstrated that UVA exclusively induces the solar-UV signature mutations in vivo through CPD formation...
- Genome instability due to ribonucleotide incorporation into DNAStephanie A Nick McElhinny
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Nat Chem Biol 6:774-81. 2010....
- Genetic steps of mammalian homologous repair with distinct mutagenic consequencesJeremy M Stark
Molecular Biology Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:9305-16. 2004..These results imply that the proper genetic interplay of repair factors is essential to limit the mutagenic potential of DSB repair...
- Phenotypic characterization of a new Grin1 mutant mouse generated by ENU mutagenesisTamio Furuse
Technology and Development Team for Mouse Phenotype Analysis Japan Mouse Clinic, RIKEN BioResource Center, 3 1 1 Koyadai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0074, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 31:1281-91. 2010In the RIKEN large-scale N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea (ENU) mutagenesis project we screened mice with a dominant mutation that exhibited abnormal behavior in the open-field test, passive avoidance test and home-cage activity test...
- PCNA ubiquitination is important, but not essential for translesion DNA synthesis in mammalian cellsAyal Hendel
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
PLoS Genet 7:e1002262. 2011..specialized low-fidelity DNA polymerases bypass replication-blocking lesions, and it is usually associated with mutagenesis. In Saccharomyces cerevisiae a key event in TLS is the monoubiquitination of PCNA, which enables recruitment of ..
- Massively parallel sequencing of the mouse exome to accurately identify rare, induced mutations: an immediate source for thousands of new mouse modelsT D Andrews
Immunogenomics Laboratory, Australian National University, GPO Box 334, Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, 2601, Australia
Open Biol 2:120061. 2012..This approach transforms genetic screens in mice, establishes a general strategy for analysing rare DNA variants and opens up a large new source for experimental models of human disease...
- Mutagenic processing of ribonucleotides in DNA by yeast topoisomerase INayun Kim
Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Science 332:1561-4. 2011..The reported studies extend the role of Top1 to include the processing of rNMPs in genomic DNA into irreversible single-strand breaks, an activity that can have distinct mutagenic consequences and may be relevant to human disease...
- Genome-wide mutagenesis of Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. citri reveals novel genetic determinants and regulation mechanisms of biofilm formationJinyun Li
Department of Microbiology and Cell Science, Citrus Research and Education Center, University of Florida, Lake Alfred, Florida, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21804. 2011..The report provides significant new information about the genetic determinants and regulatory mechanism of biofilm formation...
- Placental defect and embryonic lethality in mice lacking hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factorY Uehara
Institute for Liver Research, Kansai Medical University, Moriguchi, Osaka, Japan
Nature 373:702-5. 1995..These findings suggest that HGF/SF is an essential mediator of allantoic mesenchyme-trophoblastic epithelia interaction required for placental organogenesis...
- Mouse phenotypingHelmut Fuchs
Institute of Experimental Genetics, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen, German Research Center for Environmental Health, Ingolstädter Landstraße 1, 85764 München Neuherberg, Germany
Methods 53:120-35. 2011..Within the last 20 years many mutant mouse lines have been generated by different methods such as ENU mutagenesis, constitutive and conditional knock-out approaches, knock-down, introduction of human genes, and knock-in ..
- Insertional mutagenesis combined with acquired somatic mutations causes leukemogenesis following gene therapy of SCID-X1 patientsSteven J Howe
Centre for Immunodeficiency, Molecular Immunology Unit, UCL Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 118:3143-50. 2008..Here, we describe the occurrence of clonal T cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (T-ALL) promoted by insertional mutagenesis in a completed gene therapy trial of 10 SCID-X1 patients...
- Chromosomal transposition of PiggyBac in mouse embryonic stem cellsWei Wang
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridgeshire CB10 1SA, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:9290-5. 2008..The comprehensive information from this study should facilitate further exploration of the potential of PB and SB DNA transposons in mammalian genetics...
- Exportin 1 (Crm1p) is an essential nuclear export factorK Stade
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California at San Francisco, 94143 0414, USA
Cell 90:1041-50. 1997..cerevisiae. The presented data are consistent with the conclusion that Crm1p is a carrier for the NES-mediated protein export pathway. We propose CRM1 be renamed exportin 1 (XPO1)...
- Fractionation mutagenesis and similar consequences of mechanisms removing dispensable or less-expressed DNA in plantsMichael Freeling
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 15:131-9. 2012..Regulatory DNA deletion following polyploidy combined with abundant RNA-seq expression datasets are being used to generate testable hypothesizes regarding the function of specific cis-regulatory sequences...
- Vibrio cholerae triggers SOS and mutagenesis in response to a wide range of antibiotics: a route towards multiresistanceZeynep Baharoglu
Institut Pasteur, Unité Plasticité du Génome Bactérien, Département Génomes et Génétique, 25 rue du Dr Roux, F 75015 Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:2438-41. 2011..We show that unlike the situation with E. coli, all these antibiotics induce SOS in V. cholerae...
- DNA polymerase δ and ζ switch by sharing accessory subunits of DNA polymerase δAndrey G Baranovskiy
Eppley Institute for Research in Cancer and Allied Diseases, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 68198, USA
J Biol Chem 287:17281-7. 2012..Amino acid changes in Pol ζ that prevent the assembly of the [4Fe-4S] cluster abrogate Pol ζ function in UV mutagenesis. On the basis of these data, we propose that Pol switches at replication-blocking lesions occur by the exchange ..
- Concomitant lethal mutagenesis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1Michael J Dapp
Institute for Molecular Virology, Academic Health Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Mol Biol 419:158-70. 2012..One such approach, termed lethal mutagenesis, is directed at targeting the virus population structure for extinction or error catastrophe...
- Suppressor mutagenesis identifies a velvet complex remediator of Aspergillus nidulans secondary metabolismMona I Shaaban
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Eukaryot Cell 9:1816-24. 2010..An intact Velvet complex coupled with an OE::rsmA allele increases SM many fold over the wild-type level, but loss of rsmA does not decrease SM. RsmA encodes a putative bZIP basic leucine zipper-type transcription factor...
- A chemosensory system that regulates biofilm formation through modulation of cyclic diguanylate levelsJason W Hickman
Department of Microbiology, Box 357242, University of Washington, 1959 Northeast Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:14422-7. 2005..Together, the data suggest that the wsp signal transduction pathway regulates biofilm formation through modulation of cyclic diguanylate levels...
- Knowledge-based computational mutagenesis for predicting the disease potential of human non-synonymous single nucleotide polymorphismsMajid Masso
Laboratory for Structural Bioinformatics, Department of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, George Mason University, 10900 University Blvd MS 5B3, Manassas, VA 20110, USA
J Theor Biol 266:560-8. 2010..by quantifying environmental perturbations in the associated proteins with the use of a computational mutagenesis methodology that relies on a four-body, knowledge-based, statistical contact potential...
- A switch from high-fidelity to error-prone DNA double-strand break repair underlies stress-induced mutationRebecca G Ponder
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Cell 19:791-804. 2005..We provide evidence that the molecular basis for stress-induced mutagenesis in an E. coli model is error-prone DNA double-strand break repair (DSBR)...
- Interactions in the error-prone postreplication repair proteins hREV1, hREV3, and hREV7Y Murakumo
Department of Pathology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:35644-51. 2001..hREV1) and REV3 (hREV3) genes were identified, and their products were revealed to be involved in UV-induced mutagenesis, as observed for their yeast counterparts...
- Sublethal antibiotic treatment leads to multidrug resistance via radical-induced mutagenesisMichael A Kohanski
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Mol Cell 37:311-20. 2010..Here, we show that sublethal levels of bactericidal antibiotics induce mutagenesis, resulting in heterogeneous increases in the minimum inhibitory concentration for a range of antibiotics, ..
- MmpL8 is required for sulfolipid-1 biosynthesis and Mycobacterium tuberculosis virulenceScott E Converse
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, G W Hooper Foundation, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:6121-6. 2003....
- Spontaneous mutagenesis is enhanced in Apex heterozygous miceJessica Huamani
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78229 3900, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:8145-53. 2004..These data indicate that diminution of AP endonuclease has a significant effect on spontaneous mutagenesis in somatic and germ line cells.
- Generation of a nicking enzyme that stimulates site-specific gene conversion from the I-AniI LAGLIDADG homing endonucleaseAudrey McConnell Smith
Division of Basic Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue, North Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:5099-104. 2009..The development of sequence-specific nicking enzymes like the I-AniI nickase will facilitate comparative analyses of DNA repair and mutagenesis induced by single- or double-strand breaks.
- Oxidative damage to DNA: formation, measurement and biochemical featuresJean Cadet
Laboratoire Lesions des Acides Nucleiques, SCIB DRFMC and FRE 2600, CEA Grenoble, F 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Mutat Res 531:5-23. 2003..For this purpose modified oligonucleotides in which cyclopurine, and cyclopyrimidine nucleosides were site-specifically inserted were synthesized...
- Efficient genome-wide mutagenesis of zebrafish genes by retroviral insertionsDongmei Wang
Key Laboratory of Cell Proliferation and Differentiation, Center of Developmental Biology and Genetics, College of Life Sciences, Peking University, Ministry of Education, Beijing 100871, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:12428-33. 2007..Combining this increase in efficiency with cryopreservation of sperm samples from the F(1) fish, it is now possible to create a stable resource that contains mutations in every known zebrafish gene...
- Iterative saturation mutagenesis (ISM) for rapid directed evolution of functional enzymesManfred T Reetz
Max Planck Institut fur Kohlenforschung, Kaiser Wilhelm Platz 1, 45470 Mulheim Ruhr, Germany
Nat Protoc 2:891-903. 2007Iterative saturation mutagenesis (ISM) is a new and efficient method for the directed evolution of functional enzymes. It reduces the necessary molecular biological work and the screening effort drastically...
- Large-scale transposon mutagenesis of Mycoplasma pulmonisChristopher T French
Department of Genetics, University of Alabama Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Mol Microbiol 69:67-76. 2008..A mutant with a defect in transport of N-acetylglucosamine was identified...
- Broad antiretroviral defence by human APOBEC3G through lethal editing of nascent reverse transcriptsBastien Mangeat
Department of Genetics and Microbiology, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Nature 424:99-103. 2003..We also find that APOBEC3G can act on a broad range of retroviruses in addition to HIV, suggesting that hypermutation by editing is a general innate defence mechanism against this important group of pathogens...
- An ENU-induced mutation in the Ankrd11 gene results in an osteopenia-like phenotype in the mouse mutant YodaIvana Barbaric
MRC Mammalian Genetics Unit, Harwell
Physiol Genomics 32:311-21. 2008..As an effort toward identifying novel genes involved in regulation of bone mass, N-ethyl-N-nitrosourea (ENU) mutagenesis in mice has been utilized...
- Tight steric closure at the intracellular activation gate of a voltage-gated K(+) channelD del Camino
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, 220 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neuron 32:649-56. 2001..Either these Kv channels have a broader inner entrance than seen in the KcsA crystal, even in the closed state, or the region is highly flexible (but nevertheless remains very securely closed nearby)...
- Unravelling UVA-induced mutagenesisEvelyne Sage
Institut Curie, CNRS UMR3348, Universite de Paris Sud XI, F 91405, Orsay Cedex, France
Photochem Photobiol Sci 11:74-80. 2012..This may help unravel the role of UVA in the various steps of photocarcinogenesis. The connection to photocarcinogenesis is more extensively discussed by other authors in this issue...
- The cytidine deaminase CEM15 induces hypermutation in newly synthesized HIV-1 DNAHui Zhang
The Dorrance H Hamilton Laboratories, Center for Human Virology and Biodefense, Division of Infectious Diseases and Environmental Medicine, Department of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Nature 424:94-8. 2003..Importantly, the accumulation of CEM15-mediated non-lethal hypermutation in the replicating viral genome could potently contribute to the genetic variation of primate lentiviral populations...
- Cre-lox-based system for multiple gene deletions and selectable-marker removal in Lactobacillus plantarumJolanda M Lambert
Wegeningen Centre for Food Science, Microbial Functionality and Safety Programme, Health and Safety Department, P O Box 20, 6710 BA Ede, The Netherlands
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:1126-35. 2007..First, an effective mutagenesis vector (pNZ5319) was constructed that allows direct cloning of blunt-end PCR products representing homologous ..
- Systematic dissection and trajectory-scanning mutagenesis of the molecular interface that ensures specificity of two-component signaling pathwaysEmily J Capra
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA
PLoS Genet 6:e1001220. 2010..To explore how a relatively small set of residues can dictate partner selectivity, we combined alanine-scanning mutagenesis with an approach we call trajectory-scanning mutagenesis, in which all mutational intermediates between the ..
- Chemical biology of mutagenesis and DNA repair: cellular responses to DNA alkylationNidhi Shrivastav
Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Carcinogenesis 31:59-70. 2010..Here, we describe the respective contributions of specific DNA lesions to the biological effects of low molecular weight alkylating agents...
- An evaluation of Poisson-Boltzmann electrostatic free energy calculations through comparison with experimental mutagenesis dataRonald D Gorham
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Biopolymers 95:746-54. 2011..Using experimental or theoretical alanine-scanning mutagenesis, it is possible to elucidate the contribution of individual ionizable amino acids to protein association...
- Targeted mutagenesis of duplicated genes in soybean with zinc-finger nucleasesShaun J Curtin
Department of Agronomy and Plant Genetics, University of Minnesota, St Paul, Minnesota 55108, USA
Plant Physiol 156:466-73. 2011We performed targeted mutagenesis of a transgene and nine endogenous soybean (Glycine max) genes using zinc-finger nucleases (ZFNs)...
- Allosteric features of KCNQ1 gating revealed by alanine scanning mutagenesisLi Juan Ma
Institut für Neurale Signalverarbeitung, Zentrum für Molekulare Neurobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Biophys J 100:885-94. 2011..We applied alanine scanning mutagenesis to the S4-S5 linker and pore region and followed the regularities of gating perturbations in KCNQ1...
- ENU-based gene-driven mutagenesis in the mouse: a next-generation gene-targeting systemYoichi Gondo
Mutagenesis and Genomics Team, RIKEN BioResource Center, Ibaraki, Japan
Exp Anim 59:537-48. 2010As a new mouse mutant resource, the RIKEN ENU-based gene-driven mutagenesis system in the mouse has been available to the research community since 2002...
- An enhanced system for unnatural amino acid mutagenesis in E. coliTravis S Young
Department of Chemistry and The Skaggs Institute for Chemical Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Mol Biol 395:361-74. 2010..afforded increased plasmid stability compared with previously reported vectors for unnatural amino acid mutagenesis. To demonstrate the utility of this new system, we introduced 14 mutant aaRS into pEVOL and compared their ..
- High-resolution melting curve analysis for rapid detection of mutations in a Medaka TILLING libraryTomoko Ishikawa
Department of Radiation Biology and Medical Genetics, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, B4, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
BMC Mol Biol 11:70. 2010..Targeting Induced Local Lesions IN Genomes) is a reverse-genetic strategy that combines random chemical mutagenesis with high-throughput discovery of the induced mutations in target genes...
- Hematopoietic stem cell quiescence promotes error-prone DNA repair and mutagenesisMary Mohrin
The Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Cell Stem Cell 7:174-85. 2010..Our results demonstrate that quiescence is a double-edged sword that renders HSCs intrinsically vulnerable to mutagenesis following DNA damage.
- Structural interpretation of P2X receptor mutagenesis studies on drug actionRichard J Evans
Cell Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
Br J Pharmacol 161:961-71. 2010..b>Mutagenesis based studies have been used to develop an understanding of the molecular basis of their pharmacology with the ..
- Highly mutagenic and severely imbalanced dNTP pools can escape detection by the S-phase checkpointDinesh Kumar
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Umea University, SE 90187 Umea, Sweden
Nucleic Acids Res 38:3975-83. 2010..In contrast, when none of the dNTPs was limiting for DNA replication, even extreme and mutagenic dNTP pool imbalances did not activate the S-phase checkpoint and did not interfere with the cell cycle progression...
- Non-B DNA conformations as determinants of mutagenesis and human diseaseAlbino Bacolla
Center for Genome Research, Institute of Biosciences and Technology, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, Texas Medical Center, 2121 W Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Mol Carcinog 48:273-85. 2009..SSR polymorphic alleles in the population are associated with cancer susceptibility, including within genes that appear to share regulatory circuits involving reactive oxygen species...
- Escherichia coli DNA polymerase IV mutator activity: genetic requirements and mutational specificityJ Wagner
Division of Genetics and Mutagenesis, National Institute of Health Sciences, Setagaya Ku, Tokyo 158 8501, Japan
J Bacteriol 182:4587-95. 2000The dinB gene of Escherichia coli is known to be involved in the untargeted mutagenesis of lambda phage...
- In vivo transcriptional profiling of Listeria monocytogenes and mutagenesis identify new virulence factors involved in infectionAna Camejo
IBMC, Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Group of Molecular Microbiology, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
PLoS Pathog 5:e1000449. 2009..b>Mutagenesis of in vivo induced genes allowed the identification of novel L...
- A rich TILLING resource for studying gene function in Brassica rapaPauline Stephenson
Department of Crop Genetics, John Innes Centre, Norwich, NR4 7UH, UK
BMC Plant Biol 10:62. 2010..rapa. Moreover, the ongoing sequencing of the B. rapa genome makes this species a highly attractive model for Brassica research and genetic resource development...
- Hierarchy of lesion processing governs the repair, double-strand break formation and mutability of three-lesion clustered DNA damageLaura J Eccles
CRUK MRC Gray Institute for Radiation Oncology and Biology, University of Oxford, Old Road Campus Research Building, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford, OX3 7DQ, UK
Nucleic Acids Res 38:1123-34. 2010..The inaccurate repair of such clusters has biological significance due to the ultimate risk of tumourigenesis or as potential cytotoxic lesions in tumour cells...
- Herpesvirus of turkey reconstituted from bacterial artificial chromosome clones induces protection against Marek's diseaseSusan J Baigent
Institute for Animal Health, Compton Laboratory, Compton, Newbury, Berkshire RG20 7NN, UK
J Gen Virol 87:769-76. 2006..Using a one-step mutagenesis protocol to delete the essential glycoprotein B gene from the HVT genome, followed by construction of the ..
- Essential role for de novo DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a in paternal and maternal imprintingMasahiro Kaneda
Division of Human Genetics, Department of Integrated Genetics, National Institute of Genetics, Research Organization of Information and Systems, Mishima 411 8540, Japan
Nature 429:900-3. 2004..These results indicate that both Dnmt3a and Dnmt3L are required for methylation of most imprinted loci in germ cells, but also suggest the involvement of other factors...
- Rab9 GTPase is required for replication of human immunodeficiency virus type 1, filoviruses, and measles virusJames L Murray
National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Virol 79:11742-51. 2005..By using gene trap insertional mutagenesis, we identified Rab9, which mediates late-endosome-to-trans-Golgi-network trafficking, among several candidate ..
- A calcineurin-like gene ppb1+ in fission yeast: mutant defects in cytokinesis, cell polarity, mating and spindle pole body positioningT Yoshida
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Japan
J Cell Sci 107:1725-35. 1994..Thus the ppb1+ gene appears to be involved in cytokinesis, mating, transport, nuclear and spindle pole body positioning, and cell shape...
- Mutagenesis of the bacterial RNA polymerase alpha subunit for improvement of complex phenotypesDaniel Klein-Marcuschamer
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:2705-11. 2009..Although the preferred method has traditionally been mutagenesis and selection, our laboratory has successfully used mutant transcription factors, which direct the RNA ..
- Y-family DNA polymerases in Escherichia coliDaniel F Jarosz
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Trends Microbiol 15:70-7. 2007The observation that mutations in the Escherichia coli genes umuC+ and umuD+ abolish mutagenesis induced by UV light strongly supported the counterintuitive notion that such mutagenesis is an active rather than passive process...
- Cell-to-cell movement of potato potexvirus X is dependent on suppression of RNA silencingElizabeth H Bayne
The Sainsbury Laboratory, John Innes Centre, Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UH, UK
Plant J 44:471-82. 2005..It is possible, based on analyses of short interfering RNA accumulation, that P25 suppresses silencing by interfering with either assembly or function of the effector complexes of RNA silencing...
- TILLING in Lotus japonicus identified large allelic series for symbiosis genes and revealed a bias in functionally defective ethyl methanesulfonate alleles toward glycine replacementsJillian Perry
Sainsbury Laboratory, Norwich NR4 7UH, United Kingdom
Plant Physiol 151:1281-91. 2009..Our results demonstrate the power, as well as the limitations, of ethyl methanesulfonate mutagenesis for forward and reverse genetic studies. (Original mutant phenotypes can be accessed at http://data.jic.bbsrc...
- Sanpodo and Notch act in opposition to Numb to distinguish sibling neuron fates in the Drosophila CNSJ B Skeath
Department of Cell and Structural Biology, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
Development 125:1857-65. 1998..Taken together, these results show that interactions between sanpodo, the Notch signaling pathway and numb enable CNS sibling neurons to acquire different fates...
- Regions of the amino terminus of the P2X receptor required for modification by phorbol ester and mGluR1alpha receptorsHairuo Wen
Department of Cell Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Leicester, Leicester, UK
J Neurochem 108:331-40. 2009..These results demonstrate that the conserved YXTXK/R sequence and a region with a conserved glycine residue close to the first transmembrane segment contribute to PMA and GPCR regulation of P2X(1) receptors...
- Whole-body sleeping beauty mutagenesis can cause penetrant leukemia/lymphoma and rare high-grade glioma without associated embryonic lethalityLara S Collier
Department of Genetics, Masonic Cancer Center and Masonic Cancer Center Histopathology Core, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Cancer Res 69:8429-37. 2009..or deletions, indicating that transposon mobilization likely promotes tumor formation by insertional mutagenesis of cancer genes, and not by promoting wide-scale genomic instability...
- Glycosylation broadens the substrate profile of membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinaseYi I Wu
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology and Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Biol Chem 279:8278-89. 2004..Enzymatic deglycosylation, site-directed mutagenesis, and lectin precipitation assays were used to demonstrate that MT1-MMP contains O-linked complex carbohydrates ..
- Premature ageing in mice expressing defective mitochondrial DNA polymeraseAleksandra Trifunovic
Department of Medical Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, Novum, Karolinska University Hospital, S 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Nature 429:417-23. 2004..Our results thus provide a causative link between mtDNA mutations and ageing phenotypes in mammals...
- Establishing gene function by mutagenesis in Arabidopsis thalianaLars Østergaard
Section of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0116, USA
Plant J 39:682-96. 2004..The first class typically includes point mutations or small deletions derived from chemical or fast neutron mutagenesis whereas the second class includes insertions of transferred-DNA or transposon elements...
- UmuD and RecA directly modulate the mutagenic potential of the Y family DNA polymerase DinBVeronica G Godoy
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Mol Cell 28:1058-70. 2007..by interaction with these proteins, thereby preventing the template bulging responsible for -1 frameshift mutagenesis. Intriguingly, residues that define the UmuD(2)-interacting surface on DinB statistically covary throughout ..
- Cloning and expression in Escherichia coli of the OGG1 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which codes for a DNA glycosylase that excises 7,8-dihydro-8-oxoguanine and 2,6-diamino-4-hydroxy-5-N-methylformamidopyrimidineP A Van Der Kemp
Unité de Recherche Associée 147 Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Villejuif, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 93:5197-202. 1996..E. coli (fpg mutY) was transformed by a yeast DNA library, and clones that showed a reduced spontaneous mutagenesis were selected. The antimutator activity was associated with pYSB10, an 11-kbp recombinant plasmid...
- Construction of a self-excisable bacterial artificial chromosome containing the human cytomegalovirus genome and mutagenesis of the diploid TRL/IRL13 geneDong Yu
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544 1014, USA
J Virol 76:2316-28. 2002..We performed site-directed mutagenesis on pAD/Cre to generate a series of viruses in which the TRL/IRL13 diploid genes were disrupted and subsequently ..
- Translation elongation factor 1A facilitates the assembly of the tombusvirus replicase and stimulates minus-strand synthesisZhenghe Li
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 6:e1001175. 2010..These roles for eEF1A are separate from its canonical role in host and viral protein translation, emphasizing critical functions for this abundant cellular protein during TBSV replication...
- Direct demonstration of half-of-the-sites reactivity in the dimeric cytochrome bc1 complex: enzyme with one inactive monomer is fully active but unable to activate the second ubiquinol oxidation site in response to ligand binding at the ubiquinone reductiMichela Castellani
Institute of Biochemistry, Molecular Genetics, Goethe University and Cluster of Excellence Macromolecular Complexes Frankfurt am Main, D 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Biol Chem 285:502-10. 2010....
- Scanning cysteine mutagenesis analysis of Abeta-(1-40) amyloid fibrilsShankaramma Shivaprasad
Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 37920, USA
J Biol Chem 281:993-1000. 2006..Residues 20, 30, and 35, flanking these implicated beta-sandwich regions, are accessible to alkylation in the fibril indicating a location in solvent exposed structure...
- Human RECQ helicases: roles in DNA metabolism, mutagenesis and cancer biologyRaymond J Monnat
Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7705, USA
Semin Cancer Biol 20:329-39. 2010..I also discuss the emerging role for RECQ helicases as predictors of disease risk and the response to therapy...
- Efficient gene targeting in Drosophila by direct embryo injection with zinc-finger nucleasesKelly J Beumer
Department of Biochemistry, University of Utah School of Medicine, 15 North Medical Drive East, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5650, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:19821-6. 2008..Both local mutagenesis via nonhomologous end joining (NHEJ) and targeted gene replacement via homologous recombination (HR) have been ..
- Mutagenesis and homology modeling of the Tn21 integron integrase IntI1Carolina Johansson
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, BMC, Box 582, 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
Biochemistry 48:1743-53. 2009..to interpret the roles of several amino acid residues, four of which were clearly binding assay responsive upon mutagenesis. Notably, we also observed features indicating that IntI1 may be more prone to base-specific contacts with ..
- Analysis by mutagenesis of a chromosomal integron integrase from Shewanella amazonensis SB2BTAndré Larouche
Centre de Recherche en Infectiologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Quebec, Canada
J Bacteriol 191:1933-40. 2009..Our results also suggest that the cysteine residue in the beta-5 strand is essential to the activity of Shewanella-type integrases, while the cysteine in the beta-4 strand is less important for the excision activity...
- Identification of residues in the drug translocation pathway of the human multidrug resistance P-glycoprotein by arginine mutagenesisTip W Loo
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Biol Chem 284:24074-87. 2009..To map the residues in the drug translocation pathway, we performed arginine-scanning mutagenesis on all transmembrane (TM) segments (total = 237 residues) of a P-gp processing mutant (G251V) defective in ..
- A transposon toolkit for gene transfer and mutagenesis in protozoan parasitesJeziel D Damasceno
Departamento de Biologia Celular e Molecular e Bioagentes Patogênicos, Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Genetica 138:301-11. 2010..The piggyBac and Tn5 transposons have also been shown to mobilize across Plasmodium spp. genomes circumventing the current limitations in the genetic manipulation of these organisms...
- Cysteine-scanning mutagenesis of serotonin transporter intracellular loop 2 suggests an alpha-helical conformationYuan Wei Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8066, USA
J Biol Chem 280:30807-13. 2005..A 24-residue region of SERT including IL2, from Ile-270 through Ser-293, was analyzed by cysteine-scanning mutagenesis and chemical modification...
- Alanine-shaving mutagenesis to determine key interfacial residues governing the assembly of a nano-cage maxi-ferritinYu Zhang
Division of Chemistry and Biological Chemistry, School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
J Biol Chem 285:12078-86. 2010..from Escherichia coli, a maxi-ferritin made up of 24 subunits, was chosen as the basis for an alanine-shaving mutagenesis study to discover key amino acid residues at symmetry-related protein-protein interfaces that control protein ..
- Functional genetic analysis of the mammalian mitochondrial DNA encoded peptides: a mutagenesis approachMaria Pilar Bayona-Bafaluy
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular y Celular, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Methods Mol Biol 457:379-90. 2008..Chemical mutagenesis followed by mtDNA copy number reduction and the use of large-scale negative selection in duplicate cultures, ..
- Functional Variomics and ApplicationsXuewen Pan; Fiscal Year: 2009..model organisms, with potentially numerous variant alleles being pre-made for each gene in a genome by random mutagenesis and used for isolating alleles that confer phenotypes of interest...
- National Biomedical EPR CenterJames Hyde; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is proposed to develop a resonator for aqueous samples in the context of site-directed mutagenesis. Specific problems with current resonators from Bruker BioSpin are identified and plans to circumvent them are ..
- STRUCTURE, BIOSYNTHESIS AND FUNCTION OF GLYCOPROTEINSStuart Kornfeld; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will use site-directed mutagenesis to identify residues on the surface of DNase I that determine binding to phosphotransferase and analyze how ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF NEUROPILIN, A NOVEL VEGF RECEPTORMichael Klagsbrun; Fiscal Year: 2007..ligand binding sites are unique or overlapping by analysis of deletion mutants and site-directed[unreadable] mutagenesis; ii) structural analysis of the heparin that binds NRP blb2 in collaboration with Dr John Gallagher (University ..
- Pilot and definitive studies to evaluate Insertional MutagenesisLU TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2012..FDA-NTP Studies of Insertional Mutagenesis - Pilot Study: 12-week pilot study has been awarded to the lab to develop and validate preclinical model for ..
- REACTION MECHANISM OF MYOCARDIAC UBIQUINONE-PROTEINSChang An Yu; Fiscal Year: 2007..During past support periods we have established protocols for site-directed mutagenesis coupled with in vivo and in vitro reconstitutionto study some of the structural and functional relationships in ..
- REACTION MECHANISM OF MYOCARDIAC UBIQUINONE-PROTEINSChang An Yu; Fiscal Year: 2009..During past support periods we have established protocols for site-directed mutagenesis coupled with in vivo and in vitro reconstitutionto study some of the structural and functional relationships in ..
- The role of human DNA polymerase eta in the mutagenic response to oxidative stresSCOTT DAVID MCCULLOCH; Fiscal Year: 2010..A similar logic has been proposed for the suppression of mutagenesis during pol 7 dependent bypass of 8-oxo-dG...
- The role of human DNA polymerase eta in the mutagenic response to oxidative stresSCOTT MCCULLOCH; Fiscal Year: 2009..A similar logic has been proposed for the suppression of mutagenesis during pol 7 dependent bypass of 8-oxo-dG...
- Generation of Site-Specific Recombinase-Expressing Transgenic Rats using an EnhanEric M Ostertag; Fiscal Year: 2010..While in vitro gene trap mutagenesis is useful for gene discovery, a rapid and efficient in vivo method is preferable for two key reasons: 1) an in ..
- Generation of Site-Specific Recombinase-Expressing Transgenic Rats using an EnhanEric M Ostertag; Fiscal Year: 2011..While in vitro gene trap mutagenesis is useful for gene discovery, a rapid and efficient in vivo method is preferable for two key reasons: 1) an in ..
- MECHANISMS IN THE REGULATION OF SP-A GENE EXPRESSIONCAROLE MENDELSON; Fiscal Year: 2002..In deletion mapping and mutagenesis studies, we have found that basal and cAMP induction of rabbit and human SP-A promoter activity is critically ..
- MECHANISMS IN THE REGULATION OF SP-A GENE EXPRESSIONCAROLE MENDELSON; Fiscal Year: 1999..In deletion mapping and mutagenesis studies, we have found that basal and cAMP induction of rabbit and human SP-A promoter activity is critically ..
- MECHANISMS IN THE REGULATION OF SP-A GENE EXPRESSIONCAROLE MENDELSON; Fiscal Year: 2000..In deletion mapping and mutagenesis studies, we have found that basal and cAMP induction of rabbit and human SP-A promoter activity is critically ..
- MECHANISMS IN THE REGULATION OF SP-A GENE EXPRESSIONCAROLE MENDELSON; Fiscal Year: 2001
- MECHANISMS IN THE REGULATION OF SP-A GENE EXPRESSIONCAROLE MENDELSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..In deletion mapping and mutagenesis studies, we have[unreadable] found that basal and cAMP induction of rabbit and human SP-A promoter[unreadable] ..
- Identification of Coxiella burnetii Virulence Factors by Transposon MutagenesisJAMES EVANS SAMUEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..outside of host cells;b) novel techniques for efficient clonal isolation;c) functional Himar1-based transposon mutagenesis system to generate random mutations;and d) transformation with a stable shuttle vector plasmid...
- METAL MUTAGENESIS IN VITRO--POLYMERASE KINETICSElizabeth Snow; Fiscal Year: 1993The goals of this research are two-fold: to determine the mechanisms of mutagenesis induced by the carcinogenic metals nickel and chromium and to use Ni(II) and Cr(III) ions as tools to investigate the enzymatic mechanisms responsible ..
- Monoamine Transporter Structure-Function StudiesCHRISTOPHER SURRATT; Fiscal Year: 2007..create LeuTAa-based 3-D DAT and SERT models, and use the models to identify and characterize via site-directed mutagenesis and pharmacology the DAT and SERT residues key in substrate (e.g...
- Genetic Basis of Myeloid Neoplasia--Mutagenesis ScreensA Look; Fiscal Year: 2005..This proposal tests two linked hypotheses: (i) genome-wide ethylnitrosourea (ENU) mutagenesis screens in the zebrafish can be used to identify dominant and recessive mutations that cause a deficiency or ..
- Genetic Basis of Myeloid Neoplasia--Mutagenesis ScreensA Look; Fiscal Year: 2001..This proposal tests two linked hypotheses: (i) genome-wide ethylnitrosourea (ENU) mutagenesis screens in the zebrafish can be used to identify dominant and recessive mutations that cause a deficiency or ..
- Genetic Basis of Myeloid Neoplasia--Mutagenesis ScreensA Look; Fiscal Year: 2002..This proposal tests two linked hypotheses: (i) genome-wide ethylnitrosourea (ENU) mutagenesis screens in the zebrafish can be used to identify dominant and recessive mutations that cause a deficiency or ..
- Genetic Basis of Myeloid Neoplasia--Mutagenesis ScreensA Look; Fiscal Year: 2003
- Genetic Basis of Myeloid Neoplasia--Mutagenesis ScreensA Look; Fiscal Year: 2004
- Creation of hyperactive transposons for mutagenesis in rodentsEric M Ostertag; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: In the application "Creation of hyperactive transposases for mutagenesis in rodents," we are seeking Phase II funding to use the novel transposases we created to generate new models of ..
- OXIDATIVE ACTIVATION OF QUINONES AND MUTAGENESISDhrubajyoti Chakravarti; Fiscal Year: 2002..hypothesize that these carcinogens (diethylstilbestrol and benzene) and dopamine cause disease through specific mutagenesis, induce mutations by error-prone repair...
- GENETICS OF MYELOID NEOPLASIA--MUTAGENESIS IN ZEBRAFISHA Look; Fiscal Year: 2002
- MUTAGENESIS OF SPECIFIC REGIONS OF THE SV 40 GENOMEMARY TEVETHIA; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- MUTAGENESIS OF SPECIFIC REGIONS OF THE SV 40 GENOMEMARY TEVETHIA; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- MUTAGENESIS OF SPECIFIC REGIONS OF THE SV 40 GENOMEMARY TEVETHIA; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- Genetic analysis of Cryptococcus neoformans virulenceJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2005..We propose to broadly apply Insertional mutagenesis to identify genes encoding virulence attributes necessary for infection. C...
- Genetic analysis of Cryptococcus neoformans virulenceJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2007..We propose to broadly apply Insertional mutagenesis to identify genes encoding virulence attributes necessary for infection. C...
- Genetic analysis of Cryptococcus neoformans virulenceJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2006..We propose to broadly apply Insertional mutagenesis to identify genes encoding virulence attributes necessary for infection. C...
- Genetic analysis of Cryptococcus neoformans virulenceJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Genetic analysis of Cryptococcus neoformans virulenceJoseph Heitman; Fiscal Year: 2009
- OXYGEN AND SPONTANEOUS MUTAGENESIS IN ESCHERICHIA COLIRobert Fowler; Fiscal Year: 1991..superoxide radical, hydrogen peroxide and hydroxyl radical, are thought to be possible causative agents in mutagenesis, carcinogenesis and aging...
- Error Correction in DNA Synthesis: A Biochemical StudyMYRON FREDRIC GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2011..While investigating the biochemical basis of SOS damaged- induced mutagenesis in E...
- Creation of hyperactive transposons for mutagenesis in rodentsEric Ostertag; Fiscal Year: 2009This project aims to rapidly produce rat mutants through a transposon-based method of mutagenesis. The rat is a favored model for many types of human disease for which mice are not suitable...
- Site-Directed Oxidative Modification of Muscle Protein Structural DynamicsDavid D Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2012..This project employs site-directed mutagenesis for three purposes: (1) Met mutagenesis will be used to control susceptibility to oxidation, (2) previously ..
- RADIATION MUTAGENESIS AND REPAIR IN SACCHAROMYCESChristopher Lawrence; Fiscal Year: 1999..Christopher Lawrence proposes to continue a long-term study on the mechanism of DNA-damage induced mutagenesis in S. cerevisiae...
- VOLTAGE-SENSITIVE SODIUM CHANNELS IN BRAINWilliam Catterall; Fiscal Year: 1992..Structure-function studies with site-directed antibodies and site-directed mutagenesis have identified regions of the channel that are critical for voltage-dependent activation, fast channel ..
- VOLTAGE-SENSITIVE SODIUM CHANNELS IN BRAINWilliam Catterall; Fiscal Year: 1993..Structure-function studies with site-directed antibodies and site-directed mutagenesis have identified regions of the channel that are critical for voltage-dependent activation, fast channel ..
- ANTICHYMOTRYPSIN INTERACTION WITH SERINE PROTEASESBARRY COOPERMAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..interaction of ACT with Chtr and CatG, and to test our understanding by redesigning ACT, through site-specific mutagenesis, to change its specificity...
- ANTICHYMOTRYPSIN INTERACTION WITH SERINE PROTEASESBARRY COOPERMAN; Fiscal Year: 1991..interaction of ACT with Chtr and CatG, and to test our understanding by redesigning ACT, through site-specific mutagenesis, to change its specificity...
- ANTICHYMOTRYPSIN INTERACTION WITH SERINE PROTEASESBARRY COOPERMAN; Fiscal Year: 1993..interaction of ACT with Chtr and CatG, and to test our understanding by redesigning ACT, through site-specific mutagenesis, to change its specificity...
- Development of Site-Specific Mutagenesis in Coxiella burnettiKatja Mertens; Fiscal Year: 2011..burnetii and usage of counter selection markers to force allelic exchange. (2) Development of site-specific mutagenesis in C. burnetii using allelic exchange. We will achieve allelic exchange in C...
- IONIZING RADIATION MUTAGENESIS IN ESCHERICHIA COLIKENDRIC SMITH; Fiscal Year: 1990One important finding from our studies on ionizing radiation mutagenesis (IRM). In Escherichia coli is that IRM is not uniformly dependent on the umuDC genes as is the case for UV radiation mutagenesis...
- MUTAGENESIS OF PYRIDOXAL PHOSPHATE-DEPENDENT ENZYMESJACK KIRSCH; Fiscal Year: 1993..Site directed mutagenesis of aspartate aminotransferase will be based on computer modeling of the two homologous structures...
- Environmental Mutagen Society 2011 Annual MeetingCATHERINE G B KLEIN; Fiscal Year: 2011..Society (EMS) is the primary scientific society fostering research on the basic mechanisms of DNA repair and mutagenesis and application of this knowledge to understanding human health effects from exposure to environmental toxins...
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION STUDIES OF NA,K-ATPASEElmer Price; Fiscal Year: 1992..All of the aims of the proposal entail the use of in vitro mutagenesis to introduce amino acid substitutions in the a subunit of the Na,K-ATPase...
- TRANSCRIPTION/REPLICATION OF NEGATIVE STRAND RNA VIRUSESSue Moyer; Fiscal Year: 1999..We have located the L binding domain on P protein and propose to do site-directed mutagenesis in this domain of P to identify the amino acids critical for binding and RNA synthesis...
- MOLECULAR ANALYSIS OF CARCINOGEN-INDUCED MUTATIONSNorman Drinkwater; Fiscal Year: 1990..basis for carcinogen-induced mutations, recombinant DNA shuttle vectors were developed for analysis of mutagenesis in human lymphoblastoid cells...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF CHROMIUM MUTAGENESISKathleen Dixon; Fiscal Year: 2000..In addition, we are seeking a link between chromium mutagenesis and carcinogenesis by using transgenic mice to examine the mutagenic effects of inhaled calcium chromate dust ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF CHROMIUM MUTAGENESISKathleen Dixon; Fiscal Year: 1999..In addition, we are seeking a link between chromium mutagenesis and carcinogenesis by using transgenic mice to examine the mutagenic effects of inhaled calcium chromate dust ..
- RADIATION, ASBESTOS, AND MUTAGENESISTOM HEI; Fiscal Year: 1991..Quantitative mutagenesis assay systems allow an assessment of health risks for exposure to radiation and other environmental ..
- SITE-SPECIFIC MUTAGENESIS OF ISOMERASESGregory Petsko; Fiscal Year: 1993The goal of this project is to use a combination of site-directed mutagenesis and X-ray crystallography to understand the structural basis of the catalytic power of yeast triosephosphate isomerase (TIM) and to unravel the mechanism of ..
- L1 retrotransposon-based mutagenesis for rat models of human diseasesEric Ostertag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Unfortunately, many genetic manipulation techniques available in the mouse such as random mutagenesis with a gene trap (both retroviral-based and non-retroviral-based), gene knock- outs, gene knock-ins, and ..
- SITE-SPECIFIC MUTAGENESIS OF ISOMERASESGregory Petsko; Fiscal Year: 1991The goal of this project is to use a combination of site-directed mutagenesis and X-ray crystallography to understand the structural basis of the catalytic power of yeast triosephosphate isomerase (TIM) and to unravel the mechanism of ..
- SITE-SPECIFIC MUTAGENESIS OF ISOMERASESGregory Petsko; Fiscal Year: 1992The goal of this project is to use a combination of site-directed mutagenesis and X-ray crystallography to understand the structural basis of the catalytic power of yeast triosephosphate isomerase (TIM) and to unravel the mechanism of ..
- L1 retrotransposon-based mutagenesis for rat models of human diseasesEric Ostertag; Fiscal Year: 2007..Unfortunately, many genetic manipulation techniques available in the mouse such as random mutagenesis with a gene trap (both retroviral-based and non-retroviral-based), gene knock- outs, gene knock-ins, and ..
- MUTAGENIC AND RECOMBINOGENIC EFFECTS OF GAMMA RAYSWilliam Taylor; Fiscal Year: 1990..find out which of the gamma-ray induced lesions in DNA are responsible for the biological effects; lethality, mutagenesis and chromosomal rearrangements...
- Experimental viral evolution at high mutation rateJAMES JEFFREY BULL; Fiscal Year: 2010..of deleterious mutations;high rates can even cause population extinction, a process known as lethal mutagenesis. This principle underlies the common use of mutagenic, drugs to treat viral infections clinically...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF NEUROGENESISStephen Crews; Fiscal Year: 1999..Mutations will be generated following standard genetic screens, including an EMS mutagenesis (using a deficiency shown to uncover the Darnt gene) and a P-element transposition mutagenesis...
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF NEUROGENESISStephen Crews; Fiscal Year: 2000..Mutations will be generated following standard genetic screens, including an EMS mutagenesis (using a deficiency shown to uncover the Darnt gene) and a P-element transposition mutagenesis...
- Stem cell mutagenesis mediated by age and nicheVIVIENNE REBEL; Fiscal Year: 2009..the different tissues is maintained during aging is limited largely to analyses of DNA damage, DNA repair, and mutagenesis in differentiated cells and tissues...
- Zebrafish ES cell lines for targeted mutagenesisPaul Collodi; Fiscal Year: 2009..Although large-scale forward mutagenesis screens have been successfully applied to the zebrafish to identify genes that regulate early development and ..
- Zebrafish ES cell lines for targeted mutagenesisPaul Collodi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although large-scale forward mutagenesis screens have been successfully applied to the zebrafish to identify genes that regulate early development and ..
- Zebrafish ES cell lines for targeted mutagenesisPaul Collodi; Fiscal Year: 2006..Although large-scale forward mutagenesis screens have been successfully applied to the zebrafish to identify genes that regulate early development and ..
- Zebrafish ES cell lines for targeted mutagenesisPaul Collodi; Fiscal Year: 2007
- DNA REPLICATION AFTER INSULT WITH UVTHOMAS GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 1990The project's long-term objectives are to help elucidate the molecular processes involved in carcinogenesis and mutagenesis. Specific aims relate to how the DNA lesions are handled in various eukaryotic cells...
- Suppression of Mutagenesis with AntioxidantsWILFREDO HERNANDEZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..theories of cancer highlight hypoxia in microenvironments where oxidative stress damages DNA and promotes mutagenesis. Our major aim is to evaluate suppression of mutagenesis by sulfhydryl antioxidant N-acetylcysteine (NAC), and ..
- SITE-SPECIFIC MUTAGENESIS OF THE CA2+-ATPASEDavid MacLennan; Fiscal Year: 1991..The expression and mutagenesis of full length cDNA encoding the Ca2+ -ATPase, followed by assay of the function of the product, is being used ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS AND MECHANISM OF PROTEIN ANTIBIOTICSJ Hansen; Fiscal Year: 1993..Recent studies in this laboratory have used site-directed mutagenesis of the subtilin prepeptide gene to construct and express a structural analog of subtilin, in which the change ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS AND MECHANISM OF PROTEIN ANTIBIOTICSJ Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2001..Recent studies in this laboratory have used site-directed mutagenesis of the subtilin prepeptide gene to construct and express a structural analog of subtilin, in which the change ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS AND MECHANISM OF PROTEIN ANTIBIOTICSJ Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2000..Recent studies in this laboratory have used site-directed mutagenesis of the subtilin prepeptide gene to construct and express a structural analog of subtilin, in which the change ..
- Suppression of Mutagenesis with AntioxidantsWILFREDO HERNANDEZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..theories of cancer highlight hypoxia in microenvironments where oxidative stress damages DNA and promotes mutagenesis. Our major aim is to evaluate suppression of mutagenesis by sulfhydryl antioxidant N-acetylcysteine (NAC), and ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS AND MECHANISM OF PROTEIN ANTIBIOTICSJ Hansen; Fiscal Year: 1999