Genomes and Genes
Summary: Addition of methyl groups to DNA. DNA methyltransferases (DNA methylases) perform this reaction using S-ADENOSYLMETHIONINE as the methyl group donor.
Publications294 found, 100 shown here
- Distribution, silencing potential and evolutionary impact of promoter DNA methylation in the human genomeMichael Weber
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Maulbeerstrasse 66, CH 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Nat Genet 39:457-66. 2007To gain insight into the function of DNA methylation at cis-regulatory regions and its impact on gene expression, we measured methylation, RNA polymerase occupancy and histone modifications at 16,000 promoters in primary human somatic ..
- Environmental epigenomics and disease susceptibilityRandy L Jirtle
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Nat Rev Genet 8:253-62. 2007..Methods are now becoming available to investigate the relevance of these phenomena to human disease...
- The mammalian epigenomeBradley E Bernstein
Molecular Pathology Unit and Center for Cancer Research, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Cell 128:669-81. 2007..Here we review current research efforts, with an emphasis on large-scale studies, emerging technologies, and challenges ahead...
- Epigenetics in human disease and prospects for epigenetic therapyGerda Egger
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, Room 8302L, Los Angeles, California 90089 9181, USA
Nature 429:457-63. 2004....
- Epigenetic programming by maternal behaviorIan C G Weaver
Douglas Hospital Research Center, 6875 LaSalle Blvd, Montreal, Quebec H4H 1R3, Canada
Nat Neurosci 7:847-54. 2004..Offspring of mothers that showed high levels of LG and ABN were found to have differences in DNA methylation, as compared to offspring of 'low-LG-ABN' mothers...
- Human DNA methylomes at base resolution show widespread epigenomic differencesRyan Lister
Genomic Analysis Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 462:315-22. 2009..These reference epigenomes provide a foundation for future studies exploring this key epigenetic modification in human disease and development...
- Functions of DNA methylation: islands, start sites, gene bodies and beyondPeter A Jones
USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Keck School of Medicine of University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089 99176, USA
Nat Rev Genet 13:484-92. 2012b>DNA methylation is frequently described as a 'silencing' epigenetic mark, and indeed this function of 5-methylcytosine was originally proposed in the 1970s...
- Functional demarcation of active and silent chromatin domains in human HOX loci by noncoding RNAsJohn L Rinn
Program in Epithelial Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Cell 129:1311-23. 2007..Thus, transcription of ncRNA may demarcate chromosomal domains of gene silencing at a distance; these results have broad implications for gene regulation in development and disease states...
- Conversion of 5-methylcytosine to 5-hydroxymethylcytosine in mammalian DNA by MLL partner TET1Mamta Tahiliani
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School and Immune Disease Institute, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 324:930-5. 2009..hmC is present in the genome of mouse embryonic stem cells, and hmC levels decrease upon RNA interference-mediated depletion of TET1. Thus, TET proteins have potential roles in epigenetic regulation through modification of 5mC to hmC...
- DNA methylation patterns and epigenetic memoryAdrian Bird
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, UK
Genes Dev 16:6-21. 2002
- Genome-scale DNA methylation maps of pluripotent and differentiated cellsAlexander Meissner
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, 9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Nature 454:766-70. 2008b>DNA methylation is essential for normal development and has been implicated in many pathologies including cancer...
- CpG islands and the regulation of transcriptionAimée M Deaton
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Genes Dev 25:1010-22. 2011..CGIs are therefore generically equipped to influence local chromatin structure and simplify regulation of gene activity...
- DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are essential for de novo methylation and mammalian developmentM Okano
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown 02129, USA
Cell 99:247-57. 1999The establishment of DNA methylation patterns requires de novo methylation that occurs predominantly during early development and gametogenesis in mice...
- The human colon cancer methylome shows similar hypo- and hypermethylation at conserved tissue-specific CpG island shoresRafael A Irizarry
Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Nat Genet 41:178-86. 2009For the past 25 years, it has been known that alterations in DNA methylation (DNAm) occur in cancer, including hypomethylation of oncogenes and hypermethylation of tumor suppressor genes...
- Tet proteins can convert 5-methylcytosine to 5-formylcytosine and 5-carboxylcytosineShinsuke Ito
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7295, USA
Science 333:1300-3. 2011..Thus, we identify two previously unknown cytosine derivatives in genomic DNA as the products of Tet proteins. Our study raises the possibility that DNA demethylation may occur through Tet-catalyzed oxidation followed by decarboxylation...
- Tet-mediated formation of 5-carboxylcytosine and its excision by TDG in mammalian DNAYu Fei He
Group of DNA Metabolism, State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Science 333:1303-7. 2011..These data suggest that oxidation of 5mC by Tet proteins followed by TDG-mediated base excision of 5caC constitutes a pathway for active DNA demethylation...
- MGMT gene silencing and benefit from temozolomide in glioblastomaMonika E Hegi
Laboratory of Tumor Biology and Genetics, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 352:997-1003. 2005....
- Bismark: a flexible aligner and methylation caller for Bisulfite-Seq applicationsFelix Krueger
Bioinformatics Group, The Babraham Institute, CB22 3AT, Cambridge, UK
Bioinformatics 27:1571-2. 2011..Its output discriminates between cytosines in CpG, CHG and CHH context and enables bench scientists to visualize and interpret their methylation data soon after the sequencing run is completed...
- DNA-binding factors shape the mouse methylome at distal regulatory regionsMichael B Stadler
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Maulbeerstrasse 66, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Nature 480:490-5. 2011..This study provides methylome references for the mouse and shows that DNA-binding factors locally influence DNA methylation, enabling the identification of active regulatory regions.
- Increased methylation variation in epigenetic domains across cancer typesKasper Daniel Hansen
Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 43:768-75. 2011..We suggest a model for cancer involving loss of epigenetic stability of well-defined genomic domains that underlies increased methylation variability in cancer that may contribute to tumor heterogeneity...
- Epigenetic regulation of gene expression: how the genome integrates intrinsic and environmental signalsRudolf Jaenisch
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 9 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Nat Genet 33:245-54. 2003..Research over the past few years has focused on two molecular mechanisms that mediate epigenetic phenomena: DNA methylation and histone modifications...
- Hotspots of aberrant epigenomic reprogramming in human induced pluripotent stem cellsRyan Lister
Genomic Analysis Laboratory, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 471:68-73. 2011..However, it remains unknown how complete the reestablishment of ES-cell-like DNA methylation patterns is throughout the genome...
- Generation of germline-competent induced pluripotent stem cellsKeisuke Okita
Department of Stem Cell Biology, Institute for Frontier Medical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Nature 448:313-7. 2007..proliferation and teratoma formation; however, they are different with regards to gene expression and DNA methylation patterns, and fail to produce adult chimaeras...
- The fundamental role of epigenetic events in cancerPeter A Jones
USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Department of Urology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1441 Eastlake Avenue, MS 8302L, Los Angeles, California 90089 9181, USA
Nat Rev Genet 3:415-28. 2002Patterns of DNA methylation and chromatin structure are profoundly altered in neoplasia and include genome-wide losses of, and regional gains in, DNA methylation...
- Identification of a CpG island methylator phenotype that defines a distinct subgroup of gliomaHoutan Noushmehr
USC Epigenome Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Cancer Cell 17:510-22. 2010We have profiled promoter DNA methylation alterations in 272 glioblastoma tumors in the context of The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA)...
- CTCF-promoted RNA polymerase II pausing links DNA methylation to splicingSanjeev Shukla
Center for Cancer Research, Mouse Cancer Genetics Program, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Nature 479:74-9. 2011..reports have identified distinct histone methylation patterns, elevated nucleosome occupancy and enriched DNA methylation at exons relative to introns...
- Germline DNA demethylation dynamics and imprint erasure through 5-hydroxymethylcytosineJamie A Hackett
Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1QN, UK
Science 339:448-52. 2013..Nonetheless, we identify rare regulatory elements that escape systematic DNA demethylation in PGCs, providing a potential mechanistic basis for transgenerational epigenetic inheritance...
- Epigenetics in cancerManel Esteller
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Research Center, Madrid, Spain
N Engl J Med 358:1148-59. 2008
- Gene silencing in cancer in association with promoter hypermethylationJames G Herman
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2042-54. 2003
- Conserved role of intragenic DNA methylation in regulating alternative promotersAlika K Maunakea
Brain Tumor Research Center, Department of Neurosurgery, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
Nature 466:253-7. 2010Although it is known that the methylation of DNA in 5' promoters suppresses gene expression, the role of DNA methylation in gene bodies is unclear...
- DNA methylation profiling in the clinic: applications and challengesHolger Heyn
Cancer Epigenetics and Biology Program PEBC, Bellvitge Biomedical Research Institute IDIBELL, 08908 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Nat Rev Genet 13:679-92. 2012..epigenetic alterations in disease emphasizes the crucial role of these epigenetic alterations - particularly DNA methylation - for future diagnosis, prognosis and prediction of response to therapies...
- Principles and challenges of genomewide DNA methylation analysisPeter W Laird
USC Epigenome Center, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, 90089 9601, USA
Nat Rev Genet 11:191-203. 2010..Therefore, profiling DNA methylation across the genome is vital to understanding the influence of epigenetics...
- Establishing, maintaining and modifying DNA methylation patterns in plants and animalsJulie A Law
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California Los Angeles, 90095 1606, USA
Nat Rev Genet 11:204-20. 2010Cytosine DNA methylation is a stable epigenetic mark that is crucial for diverse biological processes, including gene and transposon silencing, imprinting and X chromosome inactivation...
- Reprogramming of human somatic cells to pluripotency with defined factorsIn Hyun Park
Division of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Children s Hospital Boston and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 451:141-6. 2008..These data demonstrate that defined factors can reprogramme human cells to pluripotency, and establish a method whereby patient-specific cells might be established in culture...
- A unique regulatory phase of DNA methylation in the early mammalian embryoZachary D Smith
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Nature 484:339-44. 2012b>DNA methylation is highly dynamic during mammalian embryogenesis...
- Differential methylation of tissue- and cancer-specific CpG island shores distinguishes human induced pluripotent stem cells, embryonic stem cells and fibroblastsAkiko Doi
Center for Epigenetics and Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nat Genet 41:1350-3. 2009Induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells are derived by epigenetic reprogramming, but their DNA methylation patterns have not yet been analyzed on a genome-wide scale...
- DNA demethylation dynamicsNidhi Bhutani
Baxter Laboratory for Stem Cell Biology, Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5175, USA
Cell 146:866-72. 2011..These reports highlight that in certain contexts, DNA methylation is not fixed but dynamic, requiring continuous regulation.
- Shotgun bisulphite sequencing of the Arabidopsis genome reveals DNA methylation patterningShawn J Cokus
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Nature 452:215-9. 2008Cytosine DNA methylation is important in regulating gene expression and in silencing transposons and other repetitive sequences...
- IDH1 mutation is sufficient to establish the glioma hypermethylator phenotypeSevin Turcan
Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10065, USA
Nature 483:479-83. 2012....
- DNA methylation and human diseaseKeith D Robertson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Shands Cancer Center, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Nat Rev Genet 6:597-610. 2005b>DNA methylation is a crucial epigenetic modification of the genome that is involved in regulating many cellular processes...
- Genome-wide evolutionary analysis of eukaryotic DNA methylationAssaf Zemach
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, 211 Koshland Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Science 328:916-9. 2010..We quantified DNA methylation in 17 eukaryotic genomes and found that gene body methylation is conserved between plants and animals, ..
- Leukemic IDH1 and IDH2 mutations result in a hypermethylation phenotype, disrupt TET2 function, and impair hematopoietic differentiationMaria E Figueroa
Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
Cancer Cell 18:553-67. 2010..Finally, either expression of mutant IDH1/2 or Tet2 depletion impaired hematopoietic differentiation and increased stem/progenitor cell marker expression, suggesting a shared proleukemogenic effect...
- Abundant quantitative trait loci exist for DNA methylation and gene expression in human brainJ Raphael Gibbs
Laboratory of Neurogenetics, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Genet 6:e1000952. 2010..We present a set of integrated experiments that investigate the effects of common genetic variability on DNA methylation and mRNA expression in four human brain regions each from 150 individuals (600 samples total)...
- DNA methylation landscapes: provocative insights from epigenomicsMiho M Suzuki
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, The University of Edinburgh, Michael Swann Building, The King s Buildings, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, UK
Nat Rev Genet 9:465-76. 2008..New techniques are making it easier to map DNA methylation patterns on a large scale and the results have already provided surprises...
- High density DNA methylation array with single CpG site resolutionMarina Bibikova
Illumina, Inc 9885 Towne Centre Drive, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Genomics 98:288-95. 2011We have developed a new generation of genome-wide DNA methylation BeadChip which allows high-throughput methylation profiling of the human genome...
- Epigenetic modifications and human diseaseAnna Portela
Cancer Epigenetics and Biology Program, Bellvitge Biomedical Research Institute, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Nat Biotechnol 28:1057-68. 2010..These allow the mapping of epigenetic marks, such as DNA methylation, histone modifications and nucleosome positioning, which are critical for regulating gene and noncoding RNA ..
- DNA methylation patterns associate with genetic and gene expression variation in HapMap cell linesJordana T Bell
Department of Human Genetics, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Genome Biol 12:R10. 2011b>DNA methylation is an essential epigenetic mechanism involved in gene regulation and disease, but little is known about the mechanisms underlying inter-individual variation in methylation profiles...
- MethPrimer: designing primers for methylation PCRsLong Cheng Li
Department of Urology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Bioinformatics 18:1427-31. 2002b>DNA methylation is an epigenetic mechanism of gene regulation...
- Linking DNA methylation and histone modification: patterns and paradigmsHoward Cedar
Department of Developmental Biology and Cancer Research, Hebrew University Medical School, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Nat Rev Genet 10:295-304. 2009Both DNA methylation and histone modification are involved in establishing patterns of gene repression during development...
- Epigenetic regulation of the glucocorticoid receptor in human brain associates with childhood abusePatrick O McGowan
Douglas Mental Health University Institute, 6875 LaSalle Boulevard, Montreal, Quebec, H4H 1R3, Canada
Nat Neurosci 12:342-8. 2009..These findings translate previous results from rat to humans and suggest a common effect of parental care on the epigenetic regulation of hippocampal glucocorticoid receptor expression...
- DNMT3A mutations in acute myeloid leukemiaTimothy J Ley
Department of Genetics, Genome Center, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
N Engl J Med 363:2424-33. 2010..The genetic alterations responsible for an adverse outcome in most patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) are unknown...
- Thymine DNA glycosylase is essential for active DNA demethylation by linked deamination-base excision repairSalvatore Cortellino
Cancer Biology Program and Epigenetics and Progenitor Cells Keystone Program, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Cell 146:67-79. 2011b>DNA methylation is a major epigenetic mechanism for gene silencing...
- Differential DNA methylation in purified human blood cells: implications for cell lineage and studies on disease susceptibilityLovisa E Reinius
Department of Biosciences and Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
PLoS ONE 7:e41361. 2012..The application of DNA methylation analysis is becoming widely popular in complex disorders, for example, to understand part of the "missing ..
- Hydroxylation of 5-methylcytosine by TET1 promotes active DNA demethylation in the adult brainJunjie U Guo
Institute for Cell Engineering, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell 145:423-34. 2011..Our study suggests a TET1-induced oxidation-deamination mechanism for active DNA demethylation in mammals...
- Epigenome-wide association studies for common human diseasesVardhman K Rakyan
Blizard Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, London, UK
Nat Rev Genet 12:529-41. 2011..to initiate large-scale studies of human disease-associated epigenetic variation, specifically variation in DNA methylation. Such epigenome-wide association studies (EWASs) present novel opportunities but also create new challenges ..
- Dynamic regulation of 5-hydroxymethylcytosine in mouse ES cells and during differentiationGabriella Ficz
Laboratory of Developmental Genetics and Imprinting, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge CB22 3AT, UK
Nature 473:398-402. 2011..We propose that the balance between hydroxymethylation and methylation in the genome is inextricably linked with the balance between pluripotency and lineage commitment...
- Persistent epigenetic differences associated with prenatal exposure to famine in humansBastiaan T Heijmans
Departments of Molecular Epidemiology, Medical Statistics, and Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:17046-9. 2008..who were prenatally exposed to famine during the Dutch Hunger Winter in 1944-45 had, 6 decades later, less DNA methylation of the imprinted IGF2 gene compared with their unexposed, same-sex siblings...
- Comprehensive analysis of silencing mutants reveals complex regulation of the Arabidopsis methylomeHume Stroud
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell 152:352-64. 2013..Multiple pathways regulate DNA methylation in different sequence contexts, but the factors that regulate DNA methylation at a given site in the genome ..
- The dynamics of genome-wide DNA methylation reprogramming in mouse primordial germ cellsStefanie Seisenberger
Epigenetics Programme, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge CB22 3AT, UK
Mol Cell 48:849-62. 2012Genome-wide DNA methylation reprogramming occurs in mouse primordial germ cells (PGCs) and preimplantation embryos, but the precise dynamics and biological outcomes are largely unknown...
- DNA methylation: roles in mammalian developmentZachary D Smith
Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Nat Rev Genet 14:204-20. 2013b>DNA methylation is among the best studied epigenetic modifications and is essential to mammalian development...
- Charting a dynamic DNA methylation landscape of the human genomeMichael J Ziller
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Nature 500:477-81. 2013b>DNA methylation is a defining feature of mammalian cellular identity and is essential for normal development...
- Genome-wide erasure of DNA methylation in mouse primordial germ cells is affected by AID deficiencyChristian Popp
Laboratory of Developmental Genetics and Imprinting, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge, UK
Nature 463:1101-5. 2010..Here we profiled DNA methylation throughout the genome by unbiased bisulphite next generation sequencing in wild-type and AID-deficient mouse ..
- Dynamic changes in the human methylome during differentiationLouise Laurent
UCSD Medical Center, Department of Reproductive Medicine, San Diego, California 92103, USA
Genome Res 20:320-31. 2010b>DNA methylation is a critical epigenetic regulator in mammalian development...
- Cancer epigenetics reaches mainstream oncologyManuel Rodríguez-Paredes
Cancer Epigenetics and Biology Program, Bellvitge Biomedical Research Institute, L Hospitalet, and Department of Physiological Sciences II, School of Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Nat Med 17:330-9. 2011..The field has moved from just one recognized marker, DNA methylation, to a variety of others, including a wide spectrum of histone modifications...
- TET1 and hydroxymethylcytosine in transcription and DNA methylation fidelityKristine Williams
Biotech Research and Innovation Centre, University of Copenhagen, Ole Maaløes Vej 5, 2200 Copenhagen, Denmark
Nature 473:343-8. 2011..We propose that TET1 fine-tunes transcription, opposes aberrant DNA methylation at CpG-rich sequences and thereby contributes to the regulation of DNA methylation fidelity.
- Epigenetic differences arise during the lifetime of monozygotic twinsMario F Fraga
Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Centre CNIO, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:10604-9. 2005..To address this issue, we examined the global and locus-specific differences in DNA methylation and histone acetylation of a large cohort of monozygotic twins...
- Epigenetic reprogramming in mammalian developmentW Reik
Laboratory of Developmental Genetics and Imprinting, The Babraham Institute, Cambridge CB2 4AT, UK
Science 293:1089-93. 2001b>DNA methylation is a major epigenetic modification of the genome that regulates crucial aspects of its function. Genomic methylation patterns in somatic differentiated cells are generally stable and heritable...
- Epigenome-wide association data implicate DNA methylation as an intermediary of genetic risk in rheumatoid arthritisYun Liu
Center for Epigenetics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Nat Biotechnol 31:142-7. 2013..01), with the rest showing suggestive association, in monocyte cell fractions in an independent cohort of 12 cases and 12 controls. Thus, DNA methylation is a potential mediator of genetic risk.
- DNA methylation arrays as surrogate measures of cell mixture distributionEugene Andres Houseman
College of Public Health and Human Sciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 13:86. 2012..Emerging research demonstrates that DNA methylation is responsible for cellular differentiation, and when measured in whole peripheral blood, serves to ..
- Comparison of Beta-value and M-value methods for quantifying methylation levels by microarray analysisPan Du
Northwestern University Biomedical Informatics Center NUBIC, NUCATS, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 11:587. 2010High-throughput profiling of DNA methylation status of CpG islands is crucial to understand the epigenetic regulation of genes...
- Validation of a DNA methylation microarray for 450,000 CpG sites in the human genomeJuan Sandoval
Cancer Epigenetics and Biology Program PEBC, Catalan Institute of Oncology, Bellvitge Biomedical Research Institute IDIBELL, Spain
Epigenetics 6:692-702. 2011b>DNA methylation is the most studied epigenetic mark and CpG methylation is central to many biological processes and human diseases...
- Mobile elements: drivers of genome evolutionHaig H Kazazian
Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Science 303:1626-32. 2004..Although the host can often control their numbers, massive expansions of retrotransposons have been tolerated during evolution. Now mobile elements are becoming useful tools for learning more about genome evolution and gene function...
- Quantitative sequencing of 5-methylcytosine and 5-hydroxymethylcytosine at single-base resolutionMichael J Booth
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1EW, UK
Science 336:934-7. 2012..Our results open new questions on 5hmC dynamics and sequence-specific targeting by TETs...
- Evaluation of the Infinium Methylation 450K technologySarah Dedeurwaerder
Laboratory of Cancer Epigenetics, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Faculty of Medicine, Brussels, Belgium
Epigenomics 3:771-84. 2011..In particular, we compare the methylation values of the Infinium I and Infinium II assays...
- Genome-wide high-resolution mapping and functional analysis of DNA methylation in arabidopsisXiaoyu Zhang
Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cell 126:1189-201. 2006..Here we report the first comprehensive DNA methylation map of an entire genome, at 35 base pair resolution, using the flowering plant Arabidopsis thaliana as a ..
- Mechanisms of polycomb gene silencing: knowns and unknownsJeffrey A Simon
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 10:697-708. 2009..These findings have an impact on the epigenetic programming of gene expression in many biological systems...
- Cancer epigenetics: from mechanism to therapyMark A Dawson
Gurdon Institute and Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QN, UK
Cell 150:12-27. 2012The epigenetic regulation of DNA-templated processes has been intensely studied over the last 15 years. DNA methylation, histone modification, nucleosome remodeling, and RNA-mediated targeting regulate many biological processes that are ..
- A genome-wide analysis of CpG dinucleotides in the human genome distinguishes two distinct classes of promotersSerge Saxonov
Biomedical Informatics Program, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1412-7. 2006....
- DNA methylation profiling of human chromosomes 6, 20 and 22Florian Eckhardt
Epigenomics AG, Kleine Präsidentstrasse 1, 10178 Berlin, Germany
Nat Genet 38:1378-85. 2006b>DNA methylation is the most stable type of epigenetic modification modulating the transcriptional plasticity of mammalian genomes...
- Genome-wide mapping of 5-hydroxymethylcytosine in embryonic stem cellsWilliam A Pastor
Harvard Medical School, Immune Disease Institute and Program in Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nature 473:394-7. 2011..Our results indicate that 5hmC has a probable role in transcriptional regulation, and suggest a model in which 5hmC contributes to the 'poised' chromatin signature found at developmentally-regulated genes in ES cells...
- Epigenetic reprogramming in plant and animal developmentSuhua Feng
Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Science 330:622-7. 2010..The mechanisms of genome-wide erasure of DNA methylation, which involve modifications to 5-methylcytosine and DNA repair, are being unraveled...
- The role of Tet3 DNA dioxygenase in epigenetic reprogramming by oocytesTian Peng Gu
Group of DNA Metabolism, The State Key Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Institute of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Nature 477:606-10. 2011..Therefore, Tet3-mediated DNA hydroxylation is involved in epigenetic reprogramming of the zygotic paternal DNA following natural fertilization and may also contribute to somatic cell nuclear reprogramming during animal cloning...
- Reference Maps of human ES and iPS cell variation enable high-throughput characterization of pluripotent cell linesChristoph Bock
Broad Institute, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cell 144:439-52. 2011..Toward this goal we have established genome-wide reference maps of DNA methylation and gene expression for 20 previously derived human ES lines and 12 human iPS cell lines, and we have ..
- Distinct epigenomic landscapes of pluripotent and lineage-committed human cellsR David Hawkins
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Cell Stem Cell 6:479-91. 2010..of potential regulatory sequences also exhibit a high degree of dynamics in chromatin modifications and DNA methylation. Additionally, we observe novel, context-dependent relationships between DNA methylation and chromatin ..
- Directly reprogrammed fibroblasts show global epigenetic remodeling and widespread tissue contributionNimet Maherali
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and Center for Regenerative Medicine, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cell Stem Cell 1:55-70. 2007....
- A microRNA DNA methylation signature for human cancer metastasisAmaia Lujambio
Cancer Epigenetics Laboratory, Spanish National Cancer Research Center, Melchor Fernandez Almagro 3, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13556-61. 2008..Our findings indicate that DNA methylation-associated silencing of tumor suppressor miRNAs contributes to the development of human cancer metastasis.
- MicroRNA-29 family reverts aberrant methylation in lung cancer by targeting DNA methyltransferases 3A and 3BMuller Fabbri
Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics, Comprehensive Cancer Center, and College of Pharmacy, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:15805-10. 2007..3'-UTRs of DNA methyltransferase (DNMT)3A and -3B (de novo methyltransferases), two key enzymes involved in DNA methylation, that are frequently up-regulated in lung cancer and associated with poor prognosis...
- Dissecting direct reprogramming through integrative genomic analysisTarjei S Mikkelsen
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, 7 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Nature 454:49-55. 2008..We demonstrate that RNA inhibition of transcription factors can facilitate reprogramming, and that treatment with DNA methyltransferase inhibitors can improve the overall efficiency of the reprogramming process...
- Intra-individual change over time in DNA methylation with familial clusteringHans T Bjornsson
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
JAMA 299:2877-83. 2008Changes over time in epigenetic marks, which are modifications of DNA such as by DNA methylation, may help explain the late onset of common human diseases...
- Conservation and divergence of methylation patterning in plants and animalsSuhua Feng
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, and Institute for Genomics and Proteomics, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:8689-94. 2010Cytosine DNA methylation is a heritable epigenetic mark present in many eukaryotic organisms...
- CpG islands--'a rough guide'Robert S Illingworth
Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology, Michael Swann Building, University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JR, United Kingdom
FEBS Lett 583:1713-20. 2009..CGIs generally lack DNA methylation and associate with the majority of annotated gene promoters...
- Specific activation of microRNA-127 with downregulation of the proto-oncogene BCL6 by chromatin-modifying drugs in human cancer cellsYoshimasa Saito
Department of Urology, Biochemistry, and Molecular Biology, Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
Cancer Cell 9:435-43. 2006..These results suggest that DNA demethylation and histone deacetylase inhibition can activate expression of miRNAs that may act as tumor suppressors...
- Targets and dynamics of promoter DNA methylation during early mouse developmentJulie Borgel
Institute of Molecular Genetics, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS UMR 5535, Universite Montpellier 2, Universite Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
Nat Genet 42:1093-100. 2010b>DNA methylation is extensively reprogrammed during the early phases of mammalian development, yet genomic targets of this process are largely unknown...
- Transcriptional repression by the methyl-CpG-binding protein MeCP2 involves a histone deacetylase complexX Nan
Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, UK
Nature 393:386-9. 1998..The data suggest that two global mechanisms of gene regulation, DNA methylation and histone deacetylation, can be linked by MeCP2.
- Quantitative comparison of genome-wide DNA methylation mapping technologiesChristoph Bock
Broad Institute, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Biotechnol 28:1106-14. 2010b>DNA methylation plays a key role in regulating eukaryotic gene expression...
- The relationship of DNA methylation with age, gender and genotype in twins and healthy controlsMarco P Boks
Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 4:e6767. 2009..In addition to influences of age and gender, genetic control of DNA methylation levels has recently been described...
- Targeted and genome-scale strategies reveal gene-body methylation signatures in human cellsMadeleine P Ball
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA, USA
Nat Biotechnol 27:361-8. 2009..Our observations highlight the usefulness of techniques that are not inherently or intentionally biased towards particular subsets like CpG islands or promoter regions...
- Comparison of sequencing-based methods to profile DNA methylation and identification of monoallelic epigenetic modificationsR Alan Harris
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Nat Biotechnol 28:1097-105. 2010Analysis of DNA methylation patterns relies increasingly on sequencing-based profiling methods...
- Human aging-associated DNA hypermethylation occurs preferentially at bivalent chromatin domainsVardhman K Rakyan
Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London E1 2AT, UK
Genome Res 20:434-9. 2010....
- DNMT3L connects unmethylated lysine 4 of histone H3 to de novo methylation of DNASteen K T Ooi
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 448:714-7. 2007Mammals use DNA methylation for the heritable silencing of retrotransposons and imprinted genes and for the inactivation of the X chromosome in females...
- DNA methylation in aging, race and prostate cancerRajvir Dahiya; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific hypotheses: 1) The DNA methylation status of most frequently deleted genes [ERs, E-cadherin, CD44 and GSTPI (glutathione S-transferase pi)] will ..
- Variation in M. tuberculosis in response to host selectionSarah Fortune; Fiscal Year: 2009..In these studies, we expect to provide fundamental insights into the mechanisms and targets of diversifying immune selection in M. tuberculosis. ..
- High Throughput Genotyping and DNA Sequencing for Studying the Genetic ContributiSonia Dua; Fiscal Year: 2013..3) A [unreadable]genotyping[unreadable] platform capable of measuring DNA methylation in human samples using arrays that cover 10,000 to 250,000 potential sites of methylation in the human genome...
- Role of the Y-Located TSPY Gene in Human OncogenesisYun Fai Chris Lau; Fiscal Year: 2013..oncogenesis in the TSPY-LADY bi-transgenic mice, in terms of tumor pathogenesis, transgene expression, DNA methylation status of the TSPY promoter and exon 1, and identification of transcription factors and repressors affected ..
- MECHANISMS IN THE REGULATION OF SP-A GENE EXPRESSIONCarole R Mendelson; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will be correlated with local changes in histone modification, DNA methylation, and DNaseI hypersensitive sites, to assess changes in chromatin structure...
- Prospective studies of cancer etiology and prevention in Shanghai and SingaporeJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies within the two cohorts to elucidate the role of environmental exposure, genetic variants and DNA methylation in the development of lung or liver cancer...
- DNA methylation of extracellular superoxide dismutase in pulmonary hypertensionEVA NOZIK GRAYCK; Fiscal Year: 2012..Based on these data, we hypothesize that DNA methylation of the EC-SOD promoter mediates silencing of this protective gene and contributes to the pathogenesis of ..
- Epigenetics of Sex Differences in Brain and BehaviorBRIDGET NUGENT; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>DNA methylation is the epigenetic process by which a DNA methyltransferase (DNMT) enzyme covalently modifies cytosine ..
- Hepatic Steatosis Modulation by Apo B Gene TranscriptionJANET DEHOFF SPARKS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim 3 examines the role of DNA methylation in regulating apob gene expression as a potential mechanism of betaine action by assessment of global and ..
- Regulation of Airway Mucin Gene Expression by Epigenetic MechanismReen Wu; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on these results, we hypothesize that epigenetic changes, especially changes in DNA methylation status, is one of the major mechanisms involved in the persistence of mucin gene expression, especially ..
- Chronic Stress and Abdominal Pain: Novel MechanismsJohn W Wiley; Fiscal Year: 2013..refers to stable and/or heritable changes in gene function without changes in the DNA sequence via DNA methylation, histone modification and chromatin remodeling...
- DNA Methylation in Ethanol Drinking BehaviorDavid P Gavin; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>DNA methylation is one component of epigenetic gene regulation...
- Chemical modulators of Tet-family proteinsAnjana Rao; Fiscal Year: 2010..In mammalian cells, DNA methylation occurs almost exclusively as symmetrical methylation of cytosine in the context of the dinucleotide CpG...
- CPG METHYLATION AND MUTATIONGerd P Pfeifer; Fiscal Year: 2013..This application will focus on mechanistic studies that will investigate the molecular pathways leading to DNA methylation changes in tumors with emphasis on DNA hypermethylation...
- Transgenerational effects of endocrine disruptors: epigenetics and physiologyRebecca A Simmons; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition to testing the expression and DNA methylation of imprinted genes, we will assay genome-wide DNA methylation changes and key histone modifications in F1-F3 ..
- Epigenetic effects of developmental endocrine disruptor exposure in the ovaryMehmet Uzumcu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Epigenetic mechanisms (e.g., DNA methylation) may play a role as a link between environmental EDC exposures during development and the adult diseases...
- Genistein and Prostate CancerRajvir Dahiya; Fiscal Year: 2010..hypothesize that genistein inhibits prostate cancer growth through modulation of epigenetic events, such as DNA methylation and histone acetylation...
- Signaling Mechanisms in Alcohol Drinking BehaviorsSubhash C Pandey; Fiscal Year: 2013..epigenetic regulatory mechanism which has been shown to play a role in the regulation of gene expression is DNA methylation. DNA methyltransferases (DNMT) catalyze DNA methylation allowing for the binding of methyl-CpG-binding ..
- MECHANISMS OF EUKARYOTIC TRANSCRIPTIONAL REGULATIONMichael R Green; Fiscal Year: 2013..activity of many genes is controlled by epigenetic mechanisms that involve histone modifications and DNA methylation. The detailed mechanisms and pathways by which epigenetic repression is established and maintained on ..
- Transplacental Arsenic Induced Hepatic Dysfunction and Vascular DiseaseJ Christopher States; Fiscal Year: 2010..Transplacental arsenic exposure can disrupt liver DNA methylation patterns and thus alter liver gene expression...
- Regulation of Genomic and Epigenomic Stability at CpG SitesAlfonso Bellacosa; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>DNA methylation is an important epigenetic modification of the mammalian genome consisting in the formation of 5-..
- Roles of RNA Polymerases IV and V in siRNA-mediated gene silencingCRAIG STUART PIKAARD; Fiscal Year: 2013..These novel RNA polymerases play non- redundant roles in RNA-directed DNA methylation, silencing of transposable elements, large-scale heterochromatin organization, long-distance spreading of ..
- Role of ALDH7A1 in Ethanol-Induced Oxidative DamageCHAD NICHOLAS BROCKER; Fiscal Year: 2011..SAM is the principle biological methyl donor and required for protein, phospholipid and DNA methylation. In the liver, chronic ethanol consumption both dramatically elevates LPO-derived aldehyde production and ..
- Epigenetic downregulation of the antibody response and inhibition of autoimmunityPaolo Casali; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the antibody response and inhibition of autoimmunity Epigenetic marks (including histone modifications, DNA methylation and microRNAs) "interact" with genetic programs to regulate B cell functions, such as class switch DNA ..
- Analysis of epigenetic regulation in early mammalian embryos via RNA interferenceCharles R Long; Fiscal Year: 2010..Two major mechanisms appear to be responsible for establishing and maintaining the epigenome, DNA methylation and histone modifications...
- Exploring persistent epigenetic changes after prenatal famine exposure in humansL H Lumey; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>DNA methylation, one type of epigenetic change, may play an important role in disease causation by altering the proteins that ..
- Interrelationships among nutrients involved in one-carbon metabolism in BangladesMEGAN NINA HALL; Fiscal Year: 2011..nutrients involved in methylation pathways, which have not previously been considered in relation to As and DNA methylation, will be examined...
- B Cell Development in AgingJohn C Cambier; Fiscal Year: 2010..Little is known regarding the patterns of histone modification and DNA methylation that impact early steps in hematopoiesis, and how these patterns might be altered during aging...
- Transgenerational effects of maternal high fat diet during pregnancy on breast caLeena A Hilakivi-Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, we will investigate whether these transgenerational effects involve changes in DNA methylation. Our preliminary analysis performed using massively parallel sequencing identified 144 "named" genes which ..
- SATB1-dependent epigenetic regulation of leukemia initiating cellsBritta Will; Fiscal Year: 2011..will utilize global chromatin immunoprecipitation analysis (ChIP-seq) in combination with gene expression and DNA methylation pattern analysis...
- Adiponectin and fetal programmingJianhua Shao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Adiponectin treatment increased C/EBP2 gene expression while reduced its DNA methylation in MEFs...
- Adult and Transgenerational Toxicity Due to Developmental TCDD ExposureTracie R Baker; Fiscal Year: 2013..tissues from each generation and will use both gene- specific and global techniques to examine alterations in DNA methylation and chromatin structure induced by TCDD exposure and transmitted into F1 and F2 fish...
- Early social stress, novelty seeking, and impulsive behaviorDavid M Lyons; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., increased DNA methylation) and thereby increases anticipatory impulsivity. Specifically, we address the following three aims. Aim 1...
- Regulation of Rhox5 Transcriptional ElongationMarcy E Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2013..A strong candidate to control AR recruitment is DNA methylation, as many of the AR- binding sites in the Pp are methylated in tissues and developmental stages that exhibit ..
- Regulated Accessibility of a cytokine gene locus.Anjana Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..in activated as well as silenced cytokine genes, as judged by changes in DNase I hypersensitive (DH) sites, DNA methylation and histone modification;explored the transcriptional and chromatin-based programs underlying CD8 T cell ..
- Genome-wide DNA Methylation Profiles Associated with Abnormal Intrauterine GrowthCristina Montagna; Fiscal Year: 2013..We offer a novel hypothesis that conditions during fetal development alter epigenetic patterns of DNA methylation in non-embryonic stem cells, which may be a marker for, or contribute to, susceptibility to T2DM and other ..
- Aberrant DNA Methylation of MicroRNA Genes in Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC)Jing Shen; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Tumor suppressor gene silencing by promoter DNA methylation is an important mechanism of tumorigenesis, including in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- Role of natural indoles in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitisMitzi Nagarkatti; Fiscal Year: 2013..proinflammatory Th1/Th17cells and induction of T regs/Th2 cells via epigenetic regulatory mechanisms such as DNA methylation and miRNA dysregulation that block neuroinflammation...
- Epigenetic Alterations in IPF Fibroblastic FociYAN SANDERS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recent data indicate re-expression of developmental gene signatures in IPF. Epigenetic regulation, including DNA methylation and histone modification, which often occurs during development and in response to aging and environmental ..
- DNA Methylation Control Hematopoietic Stem Cell Lineage DifferentiationGRANT ANTHONY CHALLEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research: From my post-doctoral work, I have identified a project concerning the role of DNA methylation in hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) lineage fate specification...
- Epigenetic Regulation of Serotonin:Relevance to HIV and Methamphetamine AbuseGREGORY MICHAEL MILLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will also assess the involvement of DNA methylation and CCCTC-binding factor (CTCF) in the regulation of TPH2 gene expression...
- The New England Family Study: Fifty Year Post-Perinatal Follow-Up for Life CourseERIC contact LOUCKS; Fiscal Year: 2010..cortisol levels, maternal smoking and socioeconomic adversity) with epigenetic processes (often measured as DNA methylation) that could alter gene expression and disease outcomes...
- Low level exposure to PBDEs: testing the hormetic and epigenetic hypothesesLucio G Costa; Fiscal Year: 2013..that exposure of neurons in vitro to low levels of BDE-47 would result in epigenetic changes, at the level of DNA methylation and of miRNA homeostasis, which may be relevant for brain development and may result in specific changes in ..
- Functional Analysis of the Embryonic Epigenome in a Non-rodent ModelMark E Westhusin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Two key factors are associated with the epigenetic control of gene expression 1) DNA methylation and 2) histone modifications...
- EFFECT OF DRUGS OF ABUSE ON NEURONAL REDOX AND METHYLATION STATUSRichard C Deth; Fiscal Year: 2012..only partially understood, there is increasing evidence for the involvement of epigenetic mechanisms such as DNA methylation. Studies our lab have identified a critical role for the cysteine/glutamate uptake transporter EAAT3 (..
- Interaction of fetal growth and bisphenol A in obesityFrederick S vom Saal; Fiscal Year: 2013..glucose homeostasis, adipocyte number and size, gene expression by qPCR and Next Generation sequencing and DNA methylation in adulthood and on PND 21-28...
- The Role of the Nuclear Lamina in Chromatin Organization and Gene Expression in NMarcos Estecio; Fiscal Year: 2012..we will profile genome-nuclear lamina interactions, histone tail posttranslational modifications and DNA methylation in primary normal and cancer cells...
- 2011 Epigenetics Gordon Research ConferenceMarisa S Bartolomei; Fiscal Year: 2011..Modification of the chromatin by DNA methylation, post- translational modification of the histones that wrap the DNA, use of alternative histone variants and ..
- DNA methylation alterations in response to pesticides exposureLifang Hou; Fiscal Year: 2010..Altered DNA methylation, an emerging hallmark of cancer, is not considered in the EPA testing system...
- Epigenomic Regulation of Gene Expression in Diet Induced ObesityDonald K Scott; Fiscal Year: 2012..of epigenetics, a spectrum of largely sequence-independent regulatory influences on gene expression including DNA methylation. Epigenetic influences on phenotype are perhaps best exemplified by recent studies demonstrating that the ..
- The Toxic Environment and the Epigenetics of Fetal GrowthHEATHER HERSON BURRIS; Fiscal Year: 2013..goals: (1) assess the role that arsenic plays in fetal growth;(2) assess the role arsenic plays in the DNA methylation of genes involved in fetal growth such as inflammatory cytokine genes and the glucocorticoid receptor gene, ..
- In utero programming of the dopamine system: behavior, neuroanatomy &epigeneticsTeresa M Reyes; Fiscal Year: 2013..manner, as well as significant increases in the expression of genes that play an important role in DNA methylation, including DNA methyltransferase 1 (DNMT1) and methyl CpG binding protein 2 (MeCP2)...
- Epigenetic Changes in the Glucocorticoid Receptor Gene Due to Arsenic ExposureAndrea M Allan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Epigenetic mechanisms, including DNA methylation, histone modification, and noncoding RNA-mediated processes, are known to play significant roles in ..
- SPLENIC TOXICITY OF ANILINEM Firoze Khan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim 2 will examine the role of oxidative DNA damage and repair, malondialdehyde-DNA adducts, DNA methylation, and mutations in the tumor suppressor gene p53 in aniline-induced splenic toxicity...
- Effect of preimplantation embryo culture on adult glucose homeostasisPaolo Rinaudo; Fiscal Year: 2013..The aberrant txnip gene expression is associated with altered expression of several genes that control DNA methylation, suggesting an epigenetic regulation...
- Prenatal stress and epigenetic programming of the HPA axis and autonomic balanceRosalind J Wright; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will investigate methylation in two complementary ways, i.e., DNA methylation of selected candidate genes and genome-wide discovery...
- Epigenetic programming of brain development by choline nutritionJan Krzysztof Blusztajn; Fiscal Year: 2011..embryonic day 16 and postnatal day 30 we will determine: 1) global transcriptome profile using microarrays;2) DNA methylation patterns with methylated DNA immunoprecipitation (MeDIP) followed by microarray analysis and 3) chromatin ..
- FASEB SRC on Hematopoietic MalignanciesMICHELLE ALICE KELLIHER; Fiscal Year: 2011..of altered transcriptional regulation in hematopoietic neoplasms, with a particular focus on changes in DNA methylation as well as histone acetylation, methylation and chromatin structure;4) Role of microRNAs in CLL pathogenesis ..
- Generation of Human iPS Cells via Non-integrating VectorsWen Shu Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..mainly from mouse somatic cells, and these cells are similar to ES cells in terms of gene expression profile, DNA methylation, and perhaps most significantly self-renewal and differentiation potential...
- Molecular Analysis of Alcohol Effects on Human Oral Epithelium Cells'EpigenomeAlison Urvalek; Fiscal Year: 2013..of this application is to understand whether alcohol regulates genome-wide epigenetic changes, such as DNA methylation and histone modifications in intergenic regions and at the promoters of genes whose expression is changed ..
- Cytosine DNA Methylation and Transcriptional Repression in African TrypanosomesKEVIN MILITELLO; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our studies of cytosine DNA methylation in Trypanosoma brucei may reveal the mechanism by which the parasites regulate expression of surface antigens ..
- INTERNATIONAL GENETIC EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ORAL CLEFTSTerri H Beaty; Fiscal Year: 2013..serum samples from mothers of cleft cases to evaluate biological models relevant to one carbon metabolism and DNA methylation. 3) To further investigate genes showing evidence of parent- of-origin effects (which may reflect genetic ..
- PTIP as an epigenetic regulator in male meiosisGuo Zhang Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): It is becoming evident that epigenetic mechanisms, including DNA methylation, histone modification and non-coding RNAs, play significant roles in spermatogenesis...
- Antenatal Dietary Supplementation is a Risk Factor for Infant Atopy Through EpigeDAVID ALBERT SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..disease during a vulnerable period of fetal development through epigenetic regulation in the form of enhanced DNA methylation. Remarkably, the increase in atopic diseases appears to correlate with the institution of widespread ..
- Impact of PAH carcinogen-DNA adducts on DNA methylationNicholas Geacintov; Fiscal Year: 2003..of cytosine (displacement of bases, bending, and destabilisation of the double helix) should facilitate DNA methylation. The purpose of this project is to reveal the relationship between DNA methylation and carcinogenic DNA ..
- DNA methylation markers for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia IIIQinghua Feng; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The overall objective of this grant is to identify novel DNA methylation markers for detection of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 3 (CIN-3) and carcinoma in situ (CIS), to access their clinical ..
- DNA METHYLATION AND PILI GENE REGULATIONDavid Low; Fiscal Year: 2006..This work will serve as a paradigm to understand how DNA methylation patterns control heritable gene expression states...
- Reactivation of Tumor Suppressor Genes in Breast Cancer by Dietary Supplements asZhongfa Liu; Fiscal Year: 2010..In contrast to genetic mutation, DNA methylation is susceptible to change and reversible;therefore, it represents an excellent target to develop DNA ..
- DNA Methyltransferase Inhibition by Intercalating AgentsKeith D Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Epigenetic genome modifications, in particular DNA methylation, have now been recognized as major regulators of gene activity and genomic stability...
- Genome Wide Analysis of DNA MethylationJoseph Ecker; Fiscal Year: 2006..This proposal aims to identify functional, non-coding elements in eukaryotic genomes by surveying genome-wide DNA methylation. Cytosine DNA methylation controls developmental gene expression in mammals during genomic imprinting and X-..
- METHYLATION-ASSOCIATED SILENCING OF MOUSE HSP70 GENESBenette Phillips; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION: The significance of DNA methylation has been an open issue for some time. Many people believe that methylated genes are incapable or less capable of being transcribed than their unmethylated or hypomethylated counterparts...
- Cancer prevention by indole-3-carbinol via modulation of the epigenomeAbby D Benninghoff; Fiscal Year: 2010..I3C is capable of donating to the methyl donor pool, thus increasing available methyl groups for DNA methylation. In contrast, 3,3'-diindolylmethane (DIM), which is not protective against DBP-induced lymphoma, is not ..
- DNA METHYLOME STUDY IN TYPE 1 DIABETESART PETRONIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..More specifically, we will investigate DNA methylation, which is one of the key epigenetic mechanisms...
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardVicki Chandler; Fiscal Year: 2009..In New Research Direction, I briefly describe the new approaches I am proposing, explain how this builds on my past work, and discuss why the NDPA process provides a unique opportunity to pursue this work. ..