Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state in which the environs of hospitals, laboratories, domestic and animal housing, work places, spacecraft, and other surroundings are under technological control with regard to air conditioning, heating, lighting, humidity, ventilation, and other ambient features. The concept includes control of atmospheric composition. (From Jane's Aerospace Dictionary, 3d ed)
Publications242 found, 100 shown here
- The paradox of an energy-efficient home: is it good or bad for health?George Richardson
Faculty of Health and Social Work, University of Plymouth
Community Pract 79:397-9. 2006..The article argues that householders need to adapt their lifestyles and house management methods to their new indoor environment. It discusses a range of ways in which health professionals can help...
- High-throughput study of poly(ethylene glycol)/ibuprofen formulations under controlled environment using FTIR imagingK L Andrew Chan
Department of Chemical Engineering, Imperial College London, SW7 2AZ UK
J Comb Chem 8:26-31. 2006....
- Culturing primary brain astrocytes under a fully controlled environment in a novel bioreactorSónia Sá Santos
Instituto de Biologia Experimental e Tecnológica Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biológica IBET ITQB, 2781 901 Oeiras, Portugal
J Neurosci Res 79:26-32. 2005We report the first approach for growth and maintenance of primary astrocytes on a fully controlled environment. For this purpose, cells were immobilized in Cytodex microcarriers and grown in a stirred tank bioreactor...
- Simulated tennis matchplay in a controlled environmentP R Davey
School of Applied Sciences, South Bank University, 103 Borough Road, London SE1 0AA, UK
J Sports Sci 21:459-67. 2003..simulating similar physiological responses in Part A to 'actual' matchplay on a 'category 2' surface, in a controlled environment; it was also a sensitive evaluation tool of skilled performance in Part B...
- Interaction between drought and chronic high temperature during kernel filling in wheat in a controlled environmentIan F Wardlaw
CSIRO Plant Industry, GPO Box 1600, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Ann Bot 90:469-76. 2002....
- Flavonoid concentrations in three grass species and a sedge grown in the field and under controlled environment conditions in response to enhanced UV-B radiationJ van de Staaij
Department of Systems Ecology, Institute of Ecological Science, Faculty of Biology, Vrije Universiteit, De Boelelaan 1087, 1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Photochem Photobiol B 66:21-9. 2002..These results indicate that constitutive levels of flavonoids in these grass and sedge species are adequately high to protect them against ambient and elevated levels of solar UV-B radiation...
- Study of smoke aerosols under a controlled environment by using dynamic light scatteringRavindra Pratap Singh
Physical Research Laboratory, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, India
Appl Opt 45:2217-21. 2006..The effects of temperature and concentration on aerosol size were also observed. We found that aerosol size increases almost linearly with an increase in concentration but decreases with an increase in temperature...
- Temporal and spatial dispersal of cladobotryum conidia in the controlled environment of a mushroom growing roomBruce Adie
Teagasc, Kinsealy Research and Development Centre, Malahide Road, Kinsealy, Dublin 17, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:7212-7. 2006..Prevention of airborne conidial release and distribution is essential to avoid mushroom spotting symptoms, secondary colonies, and early crop termination...
- [Numerical study of the effects (correction of efects) of size of inlets and outlets of ventilation system in experimental space station cabin]H Wu
Department of Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Space Med Med Eng (Beijing) 14:268-71. 2001..Result: The taper inlet and crescent outlet had the best integrated performance. Conclusion: The use of variational section was recommended in designing and building of ventilation project in space station cabin...
- Size relationship between airborne viable bacteria and particles in a controlled indoor environment studyK W Tham
Department of Building, School of Design and Environment, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Indoor Air 15:48-57. 2005..Viability of bacteria was shown to be affected by thermal effects. The percentages of particles that were viable bacteria at the different sizes were all found to be very low (<1%)...
- [Prevention of prosthesis infections]Peter Holmberg Jørgensen
Arhus Universitetshospital, Arhus Sygehus, ortopaedkirurgisk afdeling, Tumor infektionssektoren, Arhus C
Ugeskr Laeger 169:4159-63. 2007..Laminary flow reduces the risk of prosthesis infection but there is no clear evidence of any effect to concomitant antibiotic prophylaxis...
- Control and management of hospital indoor air qualityMichael Leung
Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Hong Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Med Sci Monit 12:SR17-23. 2006..The aim here is to recommend effective guidelines for the control and management of hospital IAQ...
- [Optimization analysis of ventilation and dehumidification in manned spacecraft]X Ji
Department of Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Space Med Med Eng (Beijing) 14:272-6. 2001..But the system structure of this design was relatively complex. Conclusion: Mass and power consumption of the system could be reduced by selecting appropriate parameters and adopting the measures of optimization...
- Hardware of the flight experiment "Quail-SK" transport incubatorV Sabo
Institute of Animal Biochemistry and Genetics SAS, Ivanka pri Dunaji, Slovak Republic
Acta Astronaut 49:41-6. 2001..Device description, diagrams, and experimental results are presented in this paper...
- The application of ultraviolet germicidal irradiation to control transmission of airborne disease: bioterrorism countermeasurePhilip W Brickner
Saint Vincent s Catholic Medical Centers, St Vincent s Hospital Manhattan NY, Dept of Community Medicine, New York, NY 10011, USA
Public Health Rep 118:99-114. 2003..In this article, the authors provide an overview of air disinfection technologies, and an in-depth analysis of UVGI-its history, applications, and effectiveness...
- Operating room management: operative suite considerations, infection controlMaria D Allo
Department of Surgery, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, 751 South Bascom Avenue, San Jose, CA 95128, USA
Surg Clin North Am 85:1291-7, xii. 2005..Guidelines should be consulted and incorporated into each operating room's policies and procedures...
- Ground performance of air conditioning and water recycle system for a Space Plant BoxA Tani
School of High-Technology for Human Welfare, Tokai University, Nishino, Numazu, Shizuoka, 410-0395, Japan
Adv Space Res 27:1557-62. 2001..The simple, air conditioning and water recycle system for the Space Plant Box showed good performance through a barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) growth experiment...
- [Performances of different types of airflow system in operating theatre]D Talon
Service d Hygiène Hospitalière, CHU Jean Minjoz, Boulevard Fleming, 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Ann Chir 131:316-21. 2006..To compare the performance of various types of airflow system in operating theatre...
- Evaluation of a new mobile system for protecting immune-suppressed patients against airborne contaminationJean Louis Poirot
Hopital Saint Antoine, Laboratoire de Parasitologie Mycologie, Paris, France
Am J Infect Control 35:460-6. 2007..Providing patient protection from such airborne threats requires costly and high-maintenance facilities. We herein evaluate a new self-contained mobile unit as an alternative for creating a patient protective environment...
- Impact of environmental factors on efficacy of upper-room air ultraviolet germicidal irradiation for inactivating airborne mycobacteriaPeng Xu
Department of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, 428 UCB, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado 80309 0428, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:9656-64. 2005..The inactivation rate increased linearly with effective UV fluence rate up to 5 microW cm(-2); an increase in the fluence rate above this level did not yield a proportional increase in inactivation rate...
- Impact of portable air filtration units on exposure of haematology-oncology patients to airborne Aspergillus fumigatus spores under field conditionsS Engelhart
Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
J Hosp Infect 54:300-4. 2003..We conclude that under field conditions this air filtration unit cannot be recommended for prevention of invasive aspergillosis in neutropenic haematology-oncology patients...
- Ventilation performance in the operating theatre against airborne infection: numerical study on an ultra-clean systemT T Chow
Division of Building Science and Technology, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Hosp Infect 59:138-47. 2005..This paper stresses that a successful outcome in preventing airborne infection depends as much on resolving human factors as on overcoming technical obstacles...
- Improving performance of HVAC systems to reduce exposure to aerosolized infectious agents in buildings; recommendations to reduce risks posed by biological attacksPenny J Hitchcock
Center for Biosecurity of UPMC, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 4:41-54. 2006....
- [Ophthalmic operating theatre--chance of limiting contamination and infection risk. Part I. Decontamination of the microbial air pollution]Józef Kałuzny
Z Katedry i Kliniki Okulistycznej Akademii Medycznej w Bydgoszczy
Klin Oczna 110:102-7. 2008..These decontamination methods make it possible to achieve appropriate microbiological standards when the appliance is properly used...
- Risk of bioaerosol contamination with Aspergillus species before and after cleaning in rooms filtered with high-efficiency particulate air filters that house patients with hematologic malignancyLinda D Lee
Department of Environmental Health and Safety, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77230, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:1066-70. 2007....
- Containment testing of isolation roomsJ P Rydock
Norwegian Building Research Institute, Høgskoleringen 7, NO 7491 Trondheim, Oslo, Norway
J Hosp Infect 57:228-32. 2004..The study also demonstrates that the tracer testing procedure yields comparable results for equivalent isolation room suites, suggesting good reproducibility of the testing method...
- A performance assessment of airborne infection isolation roomsStefan A Saravia
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Am J Infect Control 35:324-31. 2007..Airborne infection isolation rooms (AIIRs) help prevent the spread of infectious agents in hospitals. The performance of 678 AIIRs was evaluated and compared with construction design guidelines...
- Static electric charge may contribute to infections in bone marrow transplant wardsJ E Allen
J Hosp Infect 54:80-1. 2003
- Positive-pressure isolation and the prevention of invasive aspergillosis. What is the evidence?H Humphreys
Department of Clinical Microbiology, RCSI Education and Research Centre, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Hosp Infect 56:93-100; quiz 163. 2004....
- Aerobiology in the operating room and its implications for working standardsB Friberg
Department of Nursing, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 219:153-60. 2005..In the areas important for surgical asepsis the turbulent ventilation systems yielded highly significant correlation between air and surface contamination (p < 0.02-0.0006). No such correlation existed in the LAF systems...
- Ventilation performance in operating theatres against airborne infection: review of research activities and practical guidanceT T Chow
Division of Building Science and Technology, City University of Hong Kong, Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
J Hosp Infect 56:85-92. 2004..The basic principles and current practice applying to operating theatre ventilation studies are introduced...
- The Soviet-Russian space suits a historical overview of the 1960'sA Ingemar Skoog
Astrium GmbH, Friedrichshafen, FRG
Acta Astronaut 51:113-31. 2002..This paper covers the space suit development in the Soviet Union in the 1960's and the experience used from the pre-space era...
- Considerations of design for life support systemsAkira Ashida
Institute for Environmental Sciences, Obuchi, Rokkasho mura, Kamikita gun Aomori, Japan
Adv Space Res 31:1805-9. 2003..2) The system operation method in trouble, which relates to maintainability. (3) The system metamorphosis according to new technologies. (4) Route minimization of material flow that leads to an optimum system layout...
- [Mass optimization of thermal network model of coupled dual-loop thermal control system in spacecraft]X R Zhang
Department of Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Space Med Med Eng (Beijing) 14:277-81. 2001..Conclusion: Reasonable design of these parameters were very important for reducing the system mass...
- Ultraclean air for prevention of postoperative infection after posterior spinal fusion with instrumentation: a comparison between surgeries performed with and without a vertical exponential filtered air-flow systemMarcelo F Gruenberg
Institute of Orthopaedics Carlos E Ottolenghi, Italian Hospital of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2330-4. 2004..This study retrospectively compared infection rates between adult patients after posterior spinal instrumentation procedures performed in a conventional versus an ultraclean air operating room...
- Wrapping it up. The hospital's first line of defense against moistureCarl C Schultz
URS Corp, Columbus, OH, USA
Health Facil Manage 19:23-7. 2006
- Convection warmers--a possible source of contamination in laminar airflow operating theatres?N Tumia
Department of Orthopaedics, Aberdeen University Medical School, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, Scotland, AB9 2ZB, UK
J Hosp Infect 52:171-4. 2002..By far the greatest effect on numbers was movement and presence of the patient and theatre staff in the theatre...
- Conversion of operating theatre from positive to negative pressure environmentT T Chow
Division of Building Science and Technology, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Hosp Infect 64:371-8. 2006..The simulation results show that the physical environment and the dispersion pattern of bacteria in the negative pressure theatre were as good as, if not better than, those in the original positive pressure design...
- The addition of a mobile ultra-clean exponential laminar airflow screen to conventional operating room ventilation reduces bacterial contamination to operating box levelsS Friberg
Department of Orthopaedics, Umea University, S 901 85, Umea, Sweden
J Hosp Infect 55:92-7. 2003....
- A computer evaluation of ventilation performance in a negative-pressure operating theaterTin tai Chow
Division of Building Science and Technology, City University of Hong Kong, China
Anesth Analg 103:913-8. 2006..In this article, we introduce its ventilation design and evaluate the airflow performance in relation to different combinations of medical lamp configurations and modes of launching infectious particles into the room air...
- The influence of air conditioning, humidity, temperature and other household characteristics on mite allergen concentrations in the northeastern United StatesR T van Strien
Center for Perinatal, Pediatric and Environmental Epidemiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 1 Church Street 6th floor, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Allergy 59:645-52. 2004..Information about the influence of housing and occupant characteristics on mite allergen concentrations is crucial to determine which methods could be used to decrease exposure of susceptible subjects...
- Making the numbers add upEric Hudson
Fluke Corporation, Everett, Wash, USA
Occup Health Saf 75:150, 152-5, 178. 2006
- Technical review of the Laboratory Biosphere closed ecological system facilityW F Dempster
Biosphere Technologies, Sante Fe, NM 87508, USA
Adv Space Res 34:1477-82. 2004..The focus of this initial trial was system testing to confirm functionality and identify any necessary modifications or improvements. This paper describes the organizational and physical features of the Laboratory Biosphere...
- Crop yield and light/energy efficiency in a closed ecological system: Laboratory Biosphere experiments with wheat and sweet potatoM Nelson
Institute of Ecotechnics, London, UK
Adv Space Res 35:1539-43. 2005..Compared to projected yields for the Mars on Earth life support system, these wheat yields were about 15% higher, and the sweet potato yields averaged over 80% higher...
- [Air quality monitoring on the International Space Station]A A Pakhomova
Aviakosm Ekolog Med 40:46-9. 2006..g. local fire, toxic leak) air control. The ISS air quality has suited to the adopted standards and crew safety requirements. Yet, there is a broad field of action toward improvement of the space cabin air monitoring...
- MRI-compatible incubation chamber for cell culture experimentsNina F Schwenzer
Division of Diagnostic Radiology, Department of Radiology, Klinikum der Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen, Tubingen, Germany
J Magn Reson Imaging 23:70-6. 2006..To develop an incubation chamber that is compatible with MRI, while avoiding sources of error due to the experimental setup...
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis of microorganisms in an assisted reproductive technology facilityJason L Herlong
University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Fertil Steril 89:847-53. 2008..To perform a quantitative and qualitative analysis of the environmental microorganisms associated with two assisted reproductive technology (ART) laboratories...
- Fundamental factors affecting upper-room ultraviolet germicidal irradiation - part I. ExperimentalMelvin First
Harvard School of Public Health Department of Environmental Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Occup Environ Hyg 4:321-31. 2007..A conclusion of the study is that an upper-room ultraviolet installation is a complex system that requires careful integration of UV luminaires, UV power, and room ventilation arrangements...
- Adaptive environmental control for optimal results during plant microgravity experimentsP Kostov
Space Research Institute, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria
Acta Astronaut 51:213-20. 2002..A conceptual block-diagram of the SVET-3 SG is presented...
- Evaluating and optimizing horticultural regimes in space plant growth facilitiesY A Berkovich
Institute of Biomedical Problems, Moscow, Russia
Adv Space Res 34:1612-8. 2004..The criterion reflects directly on the consumption of onboard resources for crop production...
- [Appraisal and analysis of heat removing characteristic of liquid cooling garment using thermal manikin]W X Zhang
Institute of Space Medico-Engineering, Beijing 100094, China
Space Med Med Eng (Beijing) 14:257-60. 2001..Conclusion: The design of the LCG for the EVA space suit was found to be reasonable. The flow rate regulation range was too narrow, and the change of heat removing capacity depended on the change of inlet temperature...
- [Environmental control and life support system of spacecraft]Xue fu Shen
Institute of Space Medico Engineering, Beijing, China
Space Med Med Eng (Beijing) 16:543-9. 2003..It is a key technology must be broken through for the realization of manned space flight. Its functions, technical requirements and main technology were reviewed in this paper. Its test verification was also discussed...
- Developmental status of Aquatic Animal Experiment Facility, Aquatic Habitat (AQH), for International Space StationToru Sakimura
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd Kobe Shipyard and Machinery Works, Kobe, Japan
Biol Sci Space 17:240-1. 2003..Currently the prototype model of water circulation system and specimen chambers have been manufactured and biological compatibility tests are being conducted with medaka. The current developmental status of AQH is summarized...
- Development and verification of hardware for life science experiments in the Japanese Experiment Module "Kibo" on the International Space StationNoriaki Ishioka
Department of Space Biology and Microgravity Science, Institute of Space and Astronautical Science
J Gravit Physiol 11:81-91. 2004..The biological experiment units (BEU) are designed to run individual experiments using the CBEF and the CB. A plant experiment unit (PEU) and two cell experiment units (CEU type1 and type2) for the BEU have been developed...
- The Biotechnology Facility for International Space StationThomas Goodwin
NASA Johnson Space Center, Biological Systems Office, Houston, TX 77058, USA
J Gravit Physiol 11:75-80. 2004..The BTF will support continuous operation, which will allow performance of long-duration experiments and will significantly increase the on-orbit science throughput...
- Continuous microbiological air monitoring for aseptic filling linesKaren Ginsbury
PDA J Pharm Sci Technol 61:225. 2007
- Space Station Biological Research Project (SSBRP) Cell Culture Unit (CCU) and incubator for International Space Station (ISS) cell culture experimentsDonald Vandendriesche
NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA 94035, USA
J Gravit Physiol 11:93-103. 2004..The Incubator provides a 4-45 degrees C controlled environment for life science experiments or storage of experimental reagents...
- An efficient analytical method for particle counting in evaluating airborne infectious isolation containment using fluorescent microspheresDavid L Johnson
Department of Occupational and Environmental Health, University of Oklahoma Health Science Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73126 0901, USA
J Occup Environ Hyg 5:271-7. 2008..This technique can be employed using generally available equipment and inexpensive supplies and also can minimize the number of particle counts that must be performed. The method is shown to be specific, sensitive, and accurate...
- Probing and overcoming a mould menaceWilliam Roth
Jacques Whitford Environment Limited
Health Estate 56:50-1. 2002..Bruce Fraser is the corporate technical director of indoor air quality for JWEL and regularly provides technical assistance for mould related projects carried out by JWEL...
- A simple method for tracer containment testing of hospital isolation roomsJames P Rydock
Norwegian Building Research Institute, Oslo
Appl Occup Environ Hyg 17:486-90. 2002..Possible practical applications of the method are discussed...
- Ground based ISS payload microgravity disturbance assessmentsAnne M McNelis
NASA Glenn Research Center, Cleveland Ohio 44135, USA
Acta Astronaut 57:205-14. 2005..The major topics to be addressed in this paper are: (1) Microgravity Requirements, (2) Microgravity Disturbers, (3) MEL Testing, (4) Disturbance Control, (5) Microgravity Control Process, and (6) On-Orbit Predictions and Verification...
- Indoor air concernsCindy Baldwin
Terracon Consultants, Inc, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Occup Health Saf 75:26, 29-30, 32. 2006
- Guidelines for environmental infection control in health-care facilities. Recommendations of CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC)Lynne Sehulster
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Infectious Diseases
MMWR Recomm Rep 52:1-42. 2003..The report also suggests a series of performance measurements as a means to evaluate infection-control efforts...
- Environmental infection control of tuberculosisEdward A Nardell
Harvard School of Medicine, School of Public Health, and the Program in Infectious Disease and Social Change, Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Semin Respir Infect 18:307-19. 2003..Improved air disinfection through general ventilation, filtration, and ultraviolet germicidal irradiation are needed as ways to address this overlooked source of transmission...
- The effect of reducing levels of cat allergen (Fel d 1) on clinical symptoms in patients with cat allergyUnnur Steina Bjornsdottir
Health Care Center, Reykjavik, Iceland
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 91:189-94. 2003..Treatment of cat allergy normally entails removal of the cat from the household, but cat owners are often unwilling to part with their pets, despite clinically relevant allergies...
- Trace gases generated in closed plant cultivation systems and their effects on plant growthA Tani
Osaka Prefecture University, Sakai
Biol Sci Space 9:314-26. 1995..from plants, ethylene concentration in a closed chamber in which the plants were cultivated under a controlled environment (25 degrees C air temperature, 60-70% relative humidity, 250-300 micromoles m-2 s-1 photosynthetic photon ..
- Contribution of the scrotum, testes, and testicular artery to scrotal/testicular thermoregulation in bulls at two ambient temperaturesJ P Kastelic
Research Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, Lethbridge, Alta, Canada
Anim Reprod Sci 45:255-61. 1997..Crossbred beef bulls, 1.5 years of age, were placed in controlled environment chambers at ambient temperatures of 15 degrees C (n = 5) or 25 degrees C (n = 6)...
- Short-term genome evolution of Listeria monocytogenes in a non-controlled environmentRenato H Orsi
Department of Food Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
BMC Genomics 9:539. 2008..While a genome sequence for the 1988 food isolate has been reported, we sequenced the genomes of the 1988 human isolate as well as a human and a food isolate from the 2000 outbreak to allow for comparative genome analyses...
- The effect of hydrogen bonding on the diffusion of water in n-alkanes and n-alcohols measured with a novel single microdroplet methodJonathan T Su
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0300, USA
J Chem Phys 132:044506. 2010..technique, which can form and hold a single microdroplet of water while it dissolves in a diffusion controlled environment into the solvent...
- Elevated carbon dioxide increases contents of flavonoids and phenolic compounds, and antioxidant activities in Malaysian young ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe.) varietiesAli Ghasemzadeh
Department of Crop Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Molecules 15:7907-22. 2010..parts of Malaysian young ginger varieties (Halia Bentong and Halia Bara) with CO(2) enrichment in a controlled environment system...
- A prospective comparison of bilateral photoplethysmography versus the ankle-brachial pressure index for detecting and quantifying lower limb peripheral arterial diseaseJohn Allen
Regional Medical Physics Department, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 47:794-802. 2008..This study prospectively assessed the diagnostic accuracy of a novel bilateral photoplethysmography toe pulse measurement technique for the detection of significant lower limb peripheral arterial disease...
- Organic acid production in vitro and plant growth promotion in maize under controlled environment by phosphate-solubilizing fluorescent PseudomonasPratibha Vyas
Plant Pathology and Microbiology Laboratory, Institute of Himalayan Bioresource Technology CSIR, Palampur HP 176 061, India
BMC Microbiol 9:174. 2009..This paper describes the production of organic acids during inorganic phosphate solubilization and influence on plant growth as a function of phosphate solubilization by fluorescent Pseudomonas...
- Application of high-Cu compost to dill and peppermintValtcho D Zheljazkov
Department of Plant and Animal Sciences, Nova Scotia Agricultural College, P O Box 550, Truro, NS, B2N 5E3, Canada
J Agric Food Chem 52:2615-22. 2004A controlled environment experiment was conducted to determine the effect of amending soil with various rates of high-Cu compost (0, 20, 40, and 60% compost/soil by volume) on dill (Anethum graveolens L...
- Biological control in greenhouse systemsT C Paulitz
USDA ARS Root Disease and Biocontrol Research Unit, 363 Johnson Hall, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164 6430, USA
Annu Rev Phytopathol 39:103-33. 2001The controlled environment of greenhouses, the high value of the crops, and the limited number of registered fungicides offer a unique niche for the biological control of plant diseases...
- Climate sensitivity of gaseous elemental mercury dry deposition to plants: impacts of temperature, light intensity, and plant speciesAndrew P Rutter
Environmental Chemistry and Technology Program, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, United States
Environ Sci Technol 45:569-75. 2011..of 10 and 30 °C and nominal irradiances of 0, 80, and 170 W m(-2) (300 nm-700 nm) in a 19 m(3) controlled environment chamber...
- Influence of controlled lactic fermentation on growth and sporulation of Bacillus cereus in milkElisabeth Røssland
Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science, Agricultural University of Norway, P O Box 5003, N 1432 As, Norway
Int J Food Microbiol 103:69-77. 2005..cereus in a controlled environment during the initial part of fermentation and to observe if other factors than lactic acid influenced the ..
- Effects of L-arginine-enriched total enteral nutrition on body weight gain, tumor growth, and in vivo concentrations of blood and tissue metabolites in rats inoculated with Walker tumor in the kidneyLúcio Flávio Gonzaga Silva
Department of Surgery, Federal University of Ceara, CEP 60 430 140, Rodolfo Teofilo, Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Nutrition 20:225-9. 2004....
- Trial design to estimate the effect of vaccination on tuberculosis incidence in badgersInma Aznar
CVERA, Centre for Veterinary Epidemiology and Risk Analysis, Veterinary Science Centre, School of Agriculture Food Science and Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Vet Microbiol 151:104-11. 2011..As the vaccine has been tested in a controlled environment with precise information on infection pressure, it cannot be assumed a priori that the effects of ..
- Changes in antimicrobial resistance among faecal enterococci isolated from growing broilers prophylactically medicated with three commercial antimicrobialsPaulo Martins da Costa
ICBAS, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas de Abel Salazar, Universidade do Porto, Largo Professor Abel Salazar, 2, 4099 003 Porto, Portugal
Prev Vet Med 93:71-6. 2010A controlled environment poultry house (1600m(2)) was divided into two separated compartments. Three hundred twenty chick containers (each containing 100 chicks) were randomly allocated to each compartment...
- Growth, photosynthesis, nitrogen partitioning and responses to CO2 enrichment in a barley mutant lacking NADH-dependent nitrate reductase activityRichard C Sicher
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Crop Systems and Global Change Laboratory, Plant Sciences Institute, Beltsville, MD 20705, USA
Physiol Plant 134:31-40. 2008..In controlled environment experiments, total biomass, rates of photosynthesis, stomatal conductance, intercellular CO(2) ..
- The effects of systemic hypoxia on colon anastomotic healing: an animal modelJo Anne P Attard
GI Research Group, Department of Surgery, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Dis Colon Rectum 48:1460-70. 2005....
- Chitin-supplemented foliar application of chitinolytic Bacillus cereus reduces severity of Botrytis gray mold disease in chickpea under controlled conditionsG K Kishore
Department of Pathology, International Crops Research Institute for the Semi Arid Tropics, Patancheru 502 324, India
Lett Appl Microbiol 44:98-105. 2007..To identify and evaluate chitinolytic bacteria for control of Botrytis gray mold (BGM), a devastating disease in chickpea...
- Creating the animated intensive care unitJesse B Hall
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Crit Care Med 38:S668-75. 2010..The management of critically ill patients has increasingly involved creation of a highly controlled environment by care providers, with patients immobilized, tethered to devices, and receiving multiple drugs to ..
- Effect of pistachio diet on lipid parameters, endothelial function, inflammation, and oxidative status: a prospective studyIbrahim Sari
Cardiology Department, Gaziantep University, School of Medicine, Gaziantep, Turkey
Nutrition 26:399-404. 2010..We aimed to investigate effect of the Antep pistachio (Pistacia vera L.) on blood glucose, lipid parameters, endothelial function, inflammation, and oxidation in healthy young men living in a controlled environment.
- Uptake and transformation of soil [14C]-trinitrotoluene by cool-season grassesJennifer M Duringer
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, Oregon State University, 139 Oak Creek Building, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Environ Sci Technol 44:6325-30. 2010..ryegrass (Lolium perenne), and tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea) over a one year period in a greenhouse-controlled environment. Pots (n = 4 for each grass, containing 10 mg cold TNT/kg soil + 1...
- Water-use responses of 'living fossil' conifers to CO2 enrichment in a simulated Cretaceous polar environmentLaura Llorens
Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Ann Bot 104:179-88. 2009....
- Lack of relationship between either specific weight or presence of the 1B1R gene and nutritive value of wheat in broiler dietsK J McCracken
Agricultural and Environmental Science Division, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development now Agri Food Biosciences Institute, Newforge Lane, Belfast
Br Poult Sci 49:463-74. 2008..They were fed ad libitum to male, Ross broiler chicks from 7 to 28 d, in individual cages in a controlled environment room. 4...
- Aquaculture of three phyla of marine invertebrates to yield bioactive metabolites: process developments and economicsDominick Mendola
CalBioMarine Technologies, Inc, 1001 Capri Road, Encinitas, CA 92024, USA
Biomol Eng 20:441-58. 2003..for its anti-parasitic and anti-infective kalihinols) in-sea systems were not developed in favor of controlled environment tank aquaculture systems...
- Non-invasive monitoring of chewing and swallowing for objective quantification of ingestive behaviorEdward Sazonov
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY 13699, USA
Physiol Meas 29:525-41. 2008..sensors, related hardware and software for multi-modal data capture is designed for data collection in a controlled environment. Second, a protocol is developed for manual scoring of chewing and swallowing for use as a gold standard...
- Improvement of COD and color removal from UASB treated poultry manure wastewater using Fenton's oxidationKaan Yetilmezsoy
Department of Environmental Engineering, Yildiz Technical University, 34349 Yildiz, Besiktas, Istanbul, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 151:547-58. 2008..The UASB reactor was operated for 72 days at mesophilic conditions (32+/-2 degrees C) in a temperature-controlled environment with three different hydraulic retention times (HRT) of 15.7, 12 and 8...
- Effects of antimicrobial treatment on selection of resistant Escherichia coli in broiler fecal floraPaulo Martins da Costa
ICBAS Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas de Abel Salazar, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal
Microb Drug Resist 14:299-306. 2008..A control group of 16,000 broilers was placed in the same controlled environment poultry house. Feed diet and fecal samples from both groups were collected periodically...
- Experimental infection of house finches with Mycoplasma gallisepticumGeorge V Kollias
Wildlife Health Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853 6401, USA
J Wildl Dis 40:79-86. 2004..individually housed house finches that were experimentally inoculated with the finch strain of MG in a controlled environment. To accomplish this, a study was conducted spanning the period of November 2001-April 2002 with 20 MG-free ..
- Different nocturnal body temperatures and sleep with forced-air warming in men and in women taking hormonal contraceptivesF C Baker
Department of Physiology, University of the Witwatersrand Medical School, South Africa
J Sleep Res 7:175-81. 1998..healthy women who were taking oral or injection contraceptives, and six healthy men spent 3 nights in a controlled environment: an adaptation night followed by 2 nights when they slept under either a down duvet (baseline) or a quilt ..
- The utility of endovascular simulation to improve technical performance and stimulate continued interest of preclinical medical students in vascular surgeryJason T Lee
Division of Vascular Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Surg Educ 66:367-73. 2009..Surgical simulation has emerged as an educational tool for trainees to practice procedures in a controlled environment allowing interested medical students to perform procedures without compromising patient safety...
- Development of ramulosis disease of cotton under controlled environment and field conditionsJosé Eduardo B A Monteiro
Agrometeorology Group, Department of Exact Sciences, ESALQ, University of Sao Paulo, P O Box 9, 13418 900 Piracicaba, SP, Brazil
Phytopathology 99:659-65. 2009..Latent period, incidence, and severity of ramulosis symptoms were evaluated in controlled environment experiments using factorial combinations of temperature (15, 20, 25, 30, and 35 degrees C) and leaf ..
- [Blood glucose and ketone monitoring in type 1 diabetic patients in the controlled environment of a summer camp]J P López Siguero
Endocrinologia Pediatrica, Hospital Materno Infantil de Málaga, Espana
An Pediatr (Barc) 66:387-92. 2007....
- Establishment and characterization of an immortomouse-derived odontoblast-like cell line to evaluate the effect of insulin-like growth factors on odontoblast differentiationJavier Caton
Center for Craniofacial Molecular Biology, University of Southern California School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Cell Biochem 100:450-63. 2007..to determine the effect of IGF on odontoblast cell differentiation we first need a cell line in which a controlled environment can be created...
- Temperature effects on wood anatomy, wood density, photosynthesis and biomass partitioning of Eucalyptus grandis seedlingsD S Thomas
Centre for Horticulture and Plant Sciences, University of Western Sydney, Locked Bag 1797 South Penrith, NSW 1797, Australia
Tree Physiol 27:251-60. 2007..Increased Ac increased seedling volume, biomass and wood density; but increased wood density was also related to a shift in partitioning of seedling biomass from roots to stems as temperature increased...
- Reproducibility of the cold-induced vasodilation response in the human fingerCatherine O'Brien
Thermal and Mountain Medicine Div, U S Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine Natick, MA 01760 5007, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 98:1334-40. 2005..Twenty-one volunteers resting in a controlled environment (27 degrees C) immersed the middle finger in warm water (42 degrees C) for 15 min to standardize initial ..
- Effects of zinc toxicity on sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) plants grown in hydroponicsR Sagardoy
Departamento de Nutrición Vegetal, Estacion Experimental de Aula Dei, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Zaragoza, Spain
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 11:339-50. 2009The effects of high Zn concentration were investigated in sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) plants grown in a controlled environment in hydroponics...
- Comparative seedling ecology of eight North American spruce (Picea) species in relation to their geographic rangesKae Miyazawa
Department of Biology, McGill University, 1205 Avenue Docteur Penfield, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 1B1
Ann Bot 94:635-44. 2004..This expectation was tested by comparing characteristics of seedlings of spruce species in relation to environmental factors representative of their current natural ranges...
- A randomized trial of bariatric surgery for the treatment of sleep apneaSanjay R Patel; Fiscal Year: 2013..e., in the OSA arm, while using CPAP in a controlled environment vs...
- Exploring the interrelationships of mineral metabolism pathways in kidney diseaseJason Stubbs; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this model, mineral metabolism pathways can be altered in a controlled environment to gain insight into the interrelationships and tissue specific effects of individual mineral metabolism ..
- The effect of exercise on hepatic glucose metabolism in type 2 diabetes mellitusJASON JOSEPH WINNICK; Fiscal Year: 2013..center, a premier facility with all of the clinical expertise required to execute these studies in well controlled environment. In addition to the development of my research skills, I am also submitting a career development plan that ..
- IR-LAMP: Optigenetic technology to spatially manipulate protein function in vivoJulie C Canman; Fiscal Year: 2011..been partially overcome by conditional, temperature- sensitive genetics;however, even the best temperature-controlled environment restricts ts protein inactivation spatially to a cellular or organism level...
- Microparticles, a new player in cerebral malaria pathogenesisVALERY MADELEINE COMBES; Fiscal Year: 2013..of patients compared with 5 animals/ group in eCM because of the identical parasite and host genetics and controlled environment;other studies cannot be ethically performed in humans...
- MCP5 as key mediator of TGFbeta signaling in joint maintenance and osteoarthritisLara Longobardi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The rationale for the proposed research is that a cytokine controlled environment is a common mechanism in joint to promote development and maintain homeostasis...
- Mechanics of Human Middle & Inner Ear: Basic Science &Clinical ApplicationHideko Heidi Nakajima; Fiscal Year: 2013..This system will provide safer, more efficient and consistent RW stimulation. By measuring DP in the controlled environment of human cadaveric preparations, the performance of our coupling system will be compared quantitatively to ..
- Diversity and Dynamic Stability of the Ocular Surface MicrobiomeRussell N Van Gelder; Fiscal Year: 2013..is that, similar to other normally-colonized sites on the body, the OS microbiome is a homeostatically controlled environment which is normally protective of deleterious infection;and that perturbations in this microbiome will ..
- AXON-TARGETED MICRODEVICES FOR CNS AXON TRANSPORT STUDIESShelly Elese Sakiyama-Elbert; Fiscal Year: 2011..agents selectively to axons and allow their effects on axonal transport and growth to be examined in a controlled environment. By understanding the effects of toxins or drugs on axon growth and transport, we will gain mechanistic ..
- Interactions Between the Brain Reward and Pain Systems.Conan Kornetsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..question, does pain change the sensitivity of a brain reward site? Out-patients in pain, who are not in a controlled environment and are using prescription opiates, may be a greater risk for addiction than the person without pain ..
- Sex dependent astrocyte activation and alcohol-induced neurotoxicityKristine M Wiren; Fiscal Year: 2010..female astrocyte populations in a controlled environment. This aim also characterizes astrocyte proliferation, apoptosis, glutamate uptake and release, GABAergic ..
- NEURAL CONTROL OF THE GALLBLADDERGary M Mawe; Fiscal Year: 2010..This approach allows us to examine the actions of these compounds individually on GBSM in a controlled environment. This grant proposal involves an integrated approach using state-of-the-art techniques to investigate ..
- Neural Models of BehaviorDana H Ballard; Fiscal Year: 2011..The proposed research uses driving in virtual reality as a controlled environment within which we can ask when and where fixations are made and what influences these choices...
- Molecular Mechanisms in Joint DevelopmentAnna Spagnoli; Fiscal Year: 2013..we have found that interzone cells express specific cell membrane-associated markers and develop in a controlled environment of cytokines, such as CCL-12, and angiogenic factors like VEGF-A, that is clearly distinct from the ..
- Plant-Derived hepatitis B Vaccine from Biomanufacturing System to Clinical TrialRobert Britt; Fiscal Year: 2009..Plant-derived hepatitis B vaccine from potatoes grown in controlled environment biomanufacturing facilities will provide for orally administered vaccines that can be manufactured as ..
- Using light to increase visual and perceptual cues and decrease falls riskMARIANA FIGUEIRO; Fiscal Year: 2010..of this lighting solution in reducing fall risk among older adults living at home and in a more controlled environment. The lighting solution proposed here should enable older adults to get out of bed at night more quickly ..
- STRUCTURE AND DYNAMICS OF METAL-CONTAINING PROTEINSTHOMAS CHARLES POCHAPSKY; Fiscal Year: 2012..molecules) is inherently hazardous to the organism, and must be tightly regulated or take place in a controlled environment. Structural and dynamic changes that take place in the course of the catalytic cycle of the P450 enzyme ..
- 3D Co-culture with Micropatternable Hydrogels to Promote Fibrous Tissue FormationJOHNNA SUE TEMENOFF; Fiscal Year: 2010..a micro-patternable biomaterial system for 3D co-culture of MSCs and ligament fibroblasts in a precisely controlled environment, and to use this technology to determine how the presence of surrounding cells affects proliferation and ..
- A Translational Research Program for Comorbid PTSD and Alcohol MisuseSarah J Bujarski; Fiscal Year: 2013..effects of an intervention component being employed in the treatment of PTSD-alcohol use comorbidity in the controlled environment of the laboratory to develop an evidence base to inform future intervention development.
- Adjustable balloon implant for medialization thyroplastyMatthew R Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 2012..Experiments will be conducted using the excised larynx bench apparatus which offers a controlled environment with repeatable conditions and immediately available information on treatment efficacy...
- Alpha-Synuclein Isomers as Novel Immunogens for Immunotherapy of Parkinsons DiseaROWEN JY CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2010..This innovative technology has three important advantages: 1) it produces conformational isomers in a controlled environment;2) it stabilizes the isomers chemically so they can be evaluated in vivo and in vitro;and 3) it breaks ..
- Development and Validation of a Virtual Electrosurgical Skill Trainer (VEST)DANIEL BOUGERE JONES; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be invaluable for electrosurgical skill training, allowing the trainees to attain competence in a controlled environment that does not expose actual patients to the bare brunt of their "learning curves";customization based on ..
- High-resolution diffusion tensor imaging in mouse models relevant to autismHarish Poptani; Fiscal Year: 2010..excellent model to probe the relationship between brain structure and social/behavioral patterns in a well controlled environment and provides tissue for histological confirmation...
- Interferometric Studies of the Fluid Dynamics of the Tear FilmPETER E KING-SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2012..A "controlled environment goggle" will be constructed to control humidity and air flow rate over the cornea...
- A Novel Approach to Assessing Cognitive State During Real-World TasksRobin Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2012..who will, or will not, succeed at real-world tasks, since most assessments rely on testing from in a controlled environment (clinic, laboratory) to predict performance in the less controlled and more chaotic real world...
- Pharmacogenomics of the chemotherapeutic agent paclitaxelHEATHER ELIZABETH WHEELER; Fiscal Year: 2013..of paclitaxel-induced cytotoxicity has been investigated in lymphoblastoid cell lines (LCLs) under a controlled environment. A preliminary analysis has shown that the top SNPs from a clinical trial of paclitaxel-induced peripheral ..
- Comparative and Cost-Effectiveness Research Training for Nurse ScientistsPatricia W Stone; Fiscal Year: 2013..as a randomized controlled trial, where the question is typically whether the treatment can work under a controlled environment. Because CER2 is designed to inform actual patient situations, it is much more patient-centered...
- Examination of the earliest symptoms and biomarkers of FTLD MAPT carriersEdward D Huey; Fiscal Year: 2013..a genetic mutation for FTLD who are approaching the age of disease onset, offering a unique and highly controlled environment in which to identify the earliest clinical features and biomarkers of this devastating disease...
- Isolation and Characterization of Intestinal Stem CellsLINHENG LI LI; Fiscal Year: 2013..isolate and transplant ISCs for advanced study either in vivo (within living tissue) or in vitro (within a controlled environment outside of a living organism)...
- College Alcohol Assessment and Intervention Training SimulationDALE EDWARD OLSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..this product, because this unique computer-based training platform will provide them with the opportunity for ongoing training of new and existing staff in a safe and controlled environment. Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test
- Leica SP5 Confocal MicroscopeKATHY KAY SVOBODA; Fiscal Year: 2010..be used to examine the gene expression and protein profiles of samples from cells to whole organisms in a controlled environment. We have a 10 year old instrument (Leica SP2) that is supported by manufacturer, but it cannot be upgraded ..
- Advanced Multi-color Confocal and FRAP-SAC MicroscopeJerrold R Turner; Fiscal Year: 2010..new features described above, particularly SAC, FRET, FRAP, and simultaneous two color imaging within a controlled environment. In addition, the Marianas Real Time Confocal SDC microscope will increase the capacity of available ..
- University of Chicago Biomedical CleanroomMichael D Hopkins; Fiscal Year: 2010..Cleanrooms that provide the controlled environment necessary to produce these probes, devices, and chips are increasingly common at major research ..
- CHEMORECEPTOR ACTIVITY OF THE CAROTID BODYCarlos Eyzaguirre; Fiscal Year: 1990..3) Trophic interactions between glomus cells and sensory fibers will be continued in a controlled environment by using cultured sensory ganglion neurons grown alone and with glomus cells since the neuronal electric ..
- A lateral flow CD4 counting assay for resource-poor regionsMichael Lane; Fiscal Year: 2007..to use relatively complex equipment (cytometers, cell sorters, plate readers) and such equipment needs a controlled environment (machine maintenance in high humidity and non-standard temperature environments is problematic)...
- Sleep Therapy Headset for Improving Sleep Quality of Older AdultsPHILIP BONELLO; Fiscal Year: 2007..This can potentially delay transition to more controlled environment and reduce falls among older adults...
- Preparing Long-Term Care Facilities for Natural and Man-Made DisastersSusan Harrington; Fiscal Year: 2009..graphics, animation, sound, and high-resolution video to create a fully-interactive media-rich, learner-controlled environment. The program will be evaluated in a national field test with small, medium, and large long-term care ..
- Preparing Long-Term Care Facilities for Natural and Man-Made DisastersSusan Harrington; Fiscal Year: 2007..graphics, animation, sound, and high-resolution video to create a fully-interactive media-rich, learner-controlled environment. The program will provide branching to allow learners to access information related to specific types of ..
- Quantifying the impact of diet on carcinogen exposureJAMES FELTON; Fiscal Year: 2003..3) determine the effects of single and multiple food interactions on carcinogen bioavailability in a controlled environment and 4) determine the biologically effective dose of these compounds in humans and validate the in vitro ..
- MECHANISMS UNDERLYING CARDIOVASCULAR RISKS IN DIABETESGordon Williams; Fiscal Year: 2000..To accomplish these goals, the investigator proposes to study normal subjects and patients with DM in the controlled environment of a General Clinical Research Center. Pressor and renal hemodynamic responses will be determined...
- Stabilize Addiction/Affect, Begin Inmates' Interferon for HCV of Liver (STAABIHL)Peter Friedmann; Fiscal Year: 2009..For HCV-infected inmates, prison provides a controlled environment in which to stabilize substance use and mental health, and assess tolerability of and response to peglFN/..
- EFFECTS OF AGING AND EXERCISE ON BONE MASSCoralease Ruff; Fiscal Year: 1992..of humans, will be used as a model to study the effects of increased physical exercise on bone mass in a controlled environment. 24 female Beagles in a laboratory colony ranging in age from 8 to 13 years, equivalent to humans in the ..
- Deltavision RT Image Restoration System for Established Research Core FacilityThomas Keller; Fiscal Year: 2007..S/N) than we can achieve currently with low level fluorescence samples provided by our clients; a controlled environment chamber; an improved extremely accurate XYZ stage with auto-focus to maintain focus within each z-stack (..
- Generation of therapeutic T cells from cord blood-derived stem cellsKrishnendu Roy; Fiscal Year: 2009..to efficient generation and expansion of therapeutic T cells from multipotent stem cells in a synthetic, controlled environment could provide a renewable, on-demand and readily available cell source for a variety of disease ..
- Development of a standard high throughput comet assayJAY GEORGE; Fiscal Year: 2007..To standardize the electrophoretic platform and procedures for the comet assay by developing a controlled environment for electrophoresis of the damaged DNA in the cells, which will eliminate the problems, associated with ..
- Image Guided Constitutive Modeling of the Brain TissueOskar Skrinjar; Fiscal Year: 2004..pilot research is to develop and test the concepts of the Image Guided Constitutive Modeling in the controlled environment: on the brain phantoms with implanted "tumors", with the best possible simulation of the in-vivo brain ..
- T5000 Diagnostic System in Ferret Model of InfluenzaFrederick Koster; Fiscal Year: 2009..ferrets throughout the course of disease, we will capture exhaled virus in our inhalation apparatus in the controlled environment of the bioBubble...
- Economic Analysis of Pulmonary Artery Catheter UseDerek Angus; Fiscal Year: 2004..calculate the cost- efficacy of PAC use (i.e., the balance of costs and effects under the controlled environment of the FACTT trial), and; 4...
- Metabolic consequences of sickle cell anemiaMaciej Buchowski; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the proposed longitudinal study of HbSS adolescents, energy and protein balance will be measured in a controlled environment and assessed in free living...
- Mouse Models for Interstitial CystitisEdward Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2004..since pathophysiologic mechanisms can be dissected and therapeutic strategies developed in a far more controlled environment than the clinic...
- PREVENTING SKIN CANCER--EDUCATING CHILDREN AT DAY CAMPSRobert Lew; Fiscal Year: 1999..In the controlled environment of summer camps, we will develop, integrate, and evaluate a skin cancer and sun protection education and ..
- SENSORY-MOTONEURON CONTACTSLea Ziskind Conhaim; Fiscal Year: 1992..Maintaining these explants in the controlled environment of organ culture is valuable for determining the signals that influence motoneuron properties and the ..
- Fluid Mechanics of the Mitral Valve: In Vitro StudiesAjit Yoganathan; Fiscal Year: 2004..The experiments will be performed in a controlled environment providing isolation of specific parameters without artifacts introduced by competing factors...
- UNM COBRE: CORESRobert D Miller; Fiscal Year: 2011..Integral to the COBRE CETI program are two core facilities, the Molecular Biology Core (MBF) and the Controlled Environment Facility...
- Crystalline Silica and RSP Control Methods Effectiveness during Concrete GrindingFarhang Akbar Khanzadeh; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study will be performed in a controlled environment (a field laboratory) to collect data...
- Tools for Large-Scale Analysis of Driver PathwaysRachel Karchin; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will use these to systematically explore the performance of the alternative algorithms considered in a controlled environment. AIM 3. caBIG COMPLIANT IMPLEMENTATION...
- MRI AND MRS OF MODEL STROKE IN PERFUSED CELL CULTURESTheodore Trouard; Fiscal Year: 2001..the other hand, allow cells to be grown to high density and studied in a relatively homogeneous and easily controlled environment. Perfusion constituents and flow rates in the bioreactor can be easily controlled, monitored and ..
- STUDY OF PHYSIOLOGICAL ROLE OF SILICONEDITH CARLISLE; Fiscal Year: 1980..required for normal growth and development in the chick by feeding a low silicon diet in a trace element controlled environment. The observed effect of silicon deficiency on growth was marked, suggesting an important physiological ..
- Female Income and Family Welfare in IndiaKAIVAN MUNSHI; Fiscal Year: 2007..exogenous variation in female income on major household decisions and outcomes, separately by caste, in a controlled environment. The main outcomes of interest include child health, education, and marriage, savings and retirement ..
- MOLECULAR AND FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF ATP RECEPTORSMARK VOIGT; Fiscal Year: 2003..This approach allows for the expression of individual receptor subtypes in a controlled environment, thus permitting detailed characterization of the basic properties of a receptor subunit...
- VASCULAR DISEASE IN HBP--ANGII, PAI1, INSULIN AND GENESGordon Williams; Fiscal Year: 2001..To accomplish these goals, patients with hypertension will undergo a phenotyping protocol in a controlled environment. Then, mechanistic studies will explore the relationship between the pressor, renal hemodynamic, and PAI-1 ..
- cGMP Manufacturing Platform for Biotherapeutics from Bioengineered PlantsRobert Britt; Fiscal Year: 2006..of success is expected during this phase because robust methods for the growth of potato plants under controlled environment conditions have been well established by the applicant. Further, Dr. M...