- Verification and validation of diagnostic laboratory tests in clinical virology
Holger F Rabenau
Institute for Medical Virology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt Main, Germany
J Clin Virol 40:93-8. 2007
..procedures and describes minimum requirements for verification and validation of diagnostic assays in clinical virology including instructions for CE/IVD-labeled as well as for self-developed ("home-brewed") tests or test systems...
- Application of next-generation sequencing technologies in virology
Alan D Radford
University of Liverpool, Institute of Infection and Global Health, Leahurst Campus, Chester High Road, Neston, South Wirral CH64 7TE, UK
J Gen Virol 93:1853-68. 2012
..In addition, improved methods for analysis will become available, opening yet further applications in virology including routine diagnostic work on individuals, and new understanding of the interaction between viral and host ..
- Next-generation sequencing technology in clinical virology
M R Capobianchi
National Institute for Infectious Diseases L Spallanzani, Rome, Italy
Clin Microbiol Infect 19:15-22. 2013
..The diagnostic application of NGS is just around the corner...
- Laboratory efforts to cultivate noroviruses
National Institutes for Public Health and the Environment, PO Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Gen Virol 85:79-87. 2004
..Thus, attempts to develop a method for the cultivation of NoV were unsuccessful...
- Comparison of two commercially available dengue virus (DENV) NS1 capture enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays using a single clinical sample for diagnosis of acute DENV infection
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Dengue Branch, SanJuan, Puerto Rico 00920
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:1513-8. 2008
..We concluded that the NS1 capture ELISA is a useful tool that can improve testing algorithms to diagnose DENV infection in single samples from acute and early convalescent cases...
- Accuracy of rapid influenza diagnostic tests: a meta-analysis
CHU Sainte Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal Chest Institute, Quebec, Canada
Ann Intern Med 156:500-11. 2012
..Timely diagnosis of influenza can help clinical management...
- Identification of respiratory viruses in adults: nasopharyngeal versus oropharyngeal sampling
Pulmonary Unit, Soroka Medical Center, Beer Sheva 84101, Israel
J Clin Microbiol 47:3439-43. 2009
..Sampling by all three methods is required for the maximal detection of respiratory viruses...
- Improved LNA probe-based assay for the detection of African and South American yellow fever virus strains
University Medical Center, Department of Virology, Kreuzbergring 57, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
J Clin Virol 48:187-92. 2010
..Real-time assays for Yellow fever virus (YFV) would help to improve acute diagnostics in outbreak investigations...
- Application of broad-spectrum resequencing microarray for genotyping rhabdoviruses
Institut Pasteur, Lyssavirus Dynamics and Host Adaptation Unit, Paris, France
J Virol 84:9557-74. 2010
- Detection of Cereal yellow dwarf virus using small interfering RNAs and enhanced infection rate with Cocksfoot streak virus in wild cocksfoot grass (Dactylis glomerata)
Denise W Pallett
NERC Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Oxford, Oxford OX1 3SR, UK
J Virol Methods 168:223-7. 2010
..Opportunities are discussed for using siRNA sequencing approaches in virus survey and other ecology studies under field conditions...
- Comparison of three multiplex PCR assays for the detection of respiratory viral infections: evaluation of xTAG respiratory virus panel fast assay, RespiFinder 19 assay and RespiFinder SMART 22 assay
Institut fur Laboratoriums und Transfusionsmedizin, Herz und Diabeteszentrum Nordrhein Westfalen, Universitatsklinik der Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Bad Oeynhausen, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 12:163. 2012
..Therefore, the identification of the causative viruses and bacteria is only feasible using multiplex PCR or several monoplex PCR tests in parallel...
- Basic statistical considerations in virological experiments
Barbra A Richardson
Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Box 359909, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
J Virol 79:669-76. 2005
- Optimized PCR assay for detection of white spot syndrome virus (WSSV)
Linda M Nunan
Department of Veterinary Science and Microbiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
J Virol Methods 171:318-21. 2011
..Various isolates were tested using the modified procedure, to ensure that the assay was able to detect WSSV from different geographical locations...
- Rapid identification viruses from nasal pharyngeal aspirates in acute viral respiratory infections by RT-PCR and electrospray ionization mass spectrometry
Kuan Fu Chen
Johns Hopkins University, Department of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Virol Methods 173:60-6. 2011
..consented, and "excess" frozen archived nasopharyngeal aspirates were analysed; 46 were positive by conventional virology and 69 by RT-PCR/ESI-MS, among which there were six samples with multiple viral pathogens detected...
- Development of phoH as a novel signature gene for assessing marine phage diversity
Dawn B Goldsmith
College of Marine Science, University of South Florida, St Petersburg, FL 33701, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:7730-9. 2011
..Each depth and geographic location had a distinct phoH composition, although most phoH clusters were recovered from multiple sites. Overall, phoH is an effective signature gene for examining phage diversity in the marine environment...
- Evaluation of genotypic tropism prediction tests compared with in vitro co-receptor usage in HIV-1 primary isolates of diverse subtypes
HIV Biology and Variability Department, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:25-31. 2012
- Reanalysis of coreceptor tropism in HIV-1-infected adults using a phenotypic assay with enhanced sensitivity
Timothy J Wilkin
Division of Infectious Disease, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10011, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:925-8. 2011
..Nine percent to 26% of patients with CCR5-tropic virus by the original Trofile assay had CXCR4-using virus by TF-ES. Lower CD4 cell counts were associated with CXCR4-using virus in all cohorts...
- Simultaneously typing nine serotypes of enteroviruses associated with hand, foot, and mouth disease by a GeXP analyzer-based multiplex reverse transcription-PCR assay
State Key Laboratory for Genetic Engineering and Molecular Virology, National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, People s Republic of China
J Clin Microbiol 50:288-93. 2012
..59% (25/27). In conclusion, the GeXP assay is a rapid, cost-effective, and high-throughput method for typing nine serotypes of HFMD-associated enteroviruses...
- Detection of pandemic influenza A H1N1 virus by multiplex reverse transcription-PCR with a GeXP analyzer
National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Xuan Wu District, Beijing 100052, China
J Virol Methods 168:255-8. 2010
..This technique has the potential to provide both a powerful method to enhance surveillance of influenza and a platform for investigating the differentiation of other similar pathogens...
- Analysis of prototype foamy virus particle-host cell interaction with autofluorescent retroviral particles
Institut fur Virologie, Medizinische Fakultät Carl Gustav Carus, Technische Universitat Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Retrovirology 7:45. 2010
..Second, the unusually broad host range of FV is thought to be due to use of a very common entry receptor present on host cell plasma membranes, because all cell lines tested in vitro so far are permissive...
- Epidemiology and clinical presentations of the four human coronaviruses 229E, HKU1, NL63, and OC43 detected over 3 years using a novel multiplex real-time PCR method
E R Gaunt
Centre for Infectious Diseases, University of Edinburgh, Summerhall, Edinburgh EH9 1QH, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 48:2940-7. 2010
- Microarray-based detection and genotyping of viral pathogens
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:15687-92. 2002
..This method is versatile and greatly expands the spectrum of detectable viruses in a single assay while simultaneously providing the capability to discriminate among viral subtypes...
- Inefficient human immunodeficiency virus replication in mobile lymphocytes
Groupe Virus et Immunité, URA CNRS 1930, Institut Pasteur, 28 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Virol 81:1000-12. 2007
..Altogether, these results indicate that cell-to-cell transfer is the predominant mode of HIV spread and help to explain why this virus replicates so efficiently in lymphoid organs...
- Development of a virus concentration method and its application to detection of enterovirus and norwalk virus from coastal seawater
Department of Urban Engineering, School of Engineering, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8656, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:1033-9. 2002
..Naturally occurring Norwalk viruses from 2 liters of Tokyo Bay water in winter and infectious enteroviruses from 2 liters of recreational coastal seawater in summer were detected by using this viral concentration method...
- Detecting 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus infection: availability of diagnostic testing led to rapid pandemic response
D B Jernigan
Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 52:S36-43. 2011
..Future planning efforts should identify ways to improve availability of reliable testing to manage patient care and approaches for optimal use of molecular testing for detecting and controlling emerging influenza virus strains...
- Development and characterization of a novel single-cycle recombinant-virus assay to determine human immunodeficiency virus type 1 coreceptor tropism
Jeannette M Whitcomb
Monogram Biosciences, Inc, 345 Oyster Point Boulevard, South San Francisco, CA 94080, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:566-75. 2007
- The history of tumor virology
Ronald T Javier
Department of Molecular Virology and Microbiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 68:7693-706. 2008
In the century since its inception, the field of tumor virology has provided groundbreaking insights into the causes of human cancer...
- Detection of a novel astrovirus in brain tissue of mink suffering from shaking mink syndrome by use of viral metagenomics
Anne Lie Blomström
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Veterinary Public Health, Section of Virology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Box 7036, S 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
J Clin Microbiol 48:4392-6. 2010
- Comparison of three commercially available dengue NS1 antigen capture assays for acute diagnosis of dengue in Brazil
Monique da Rocha Queiroz Lima
Flavivirus Laboratory, Oswaldo Cruz Institute FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e738. 2010
..The flavivirus non-structural protein NS1, a highly conserved and secreted glycoprotein, is a candidate protein for rapid diagnosis of dengue in endemic countries...
- Clinical virology in real time
Hubert G M Niesters
Department of Virology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Virol 25:S3-12. 2002
The ability to detect nucleic acids has had and still has a major impact on diagnostics in clinical virology. Both quantitative and qualitative techniques, whether signal or target amplification based systems, are currently used routinely ..
- Hepatitis E virus ORF3 antigens derived from genotype 1 and 4 viruses are detected with varying efficiencies by an anti-HEV enzyme immunoassay
Department of Cell Biology, National Institute for Control of Pharmaceutical and Biological Products, Beijing, China
J Med Virol 83:827-32. 2011
..The HEV ORF3 polypeptide contains genotype-specific antigens and the antigen-antibody reactions between the same genotypes were stronger than those between different genotypes...
- Detection of Puumala and Rift Valley Fever virus by quantitative RT-PCR and virus viability tests in samples of blood dried and stored on filter paper
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Division of Infectious Diseases, Umea University, SE 901 85 Umea, Sweden
J Virol Methods 178:186-90. 2011
..This approach might facilitate sampling and analysis of other RNA viruses from human or animal sources and could be used for field studies in remote areas or in developing countries...
- Viral meningitis
David R Chadwick
Department of Infection and Travel Medicine, The James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough TS4 3BW, UK
Br Med Bull 75:1-14. 2005
..This review focuses on the presentation, diagnosis and management of viral meningitis and also covers the prevention of meningitis for pathogens where effective vaccines are available...
- Near-atomic-resolution cryo-EM for molecular virology
Corey F Hryc
National Center for Macromolecular Imaging, Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Curr Opin Virol 1:110-7. 2011
..This paper reviews the recent advances in near-atomic-resolution cryo-EM for probing the mechanisms of virus assembly and morphogenesis...
- Abundance of multiple high-risk human papillomavirus (HPV) infections found in cervical cells analyzed by use of an ultrasensitive HPV genotyping assay
Department of Genome Modifications and Carcinogenesis F020, Research Program Infection and Cancer, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 242, Heidelberg 69120, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 48:143-9. 2010
..As a consequence, PCR-TS-MPG appears to be highly suited for analysis of the significance of multiple infections in the development of cervical cancer and for the study the natural history and the latency of HPV...
- Detection and identification of Rift Valley fever virus in mosquito vectors by quantitative real-time PCR
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Nairobi, PO Box 19676 00202, KNH, Nairobi, Kenya
Virus Res 169:137-43. 2012
..The data confirms the utility of qRT-PCR for identification and initial quantification of virus in mosquito samples during RVFV outbreaks...
- Monoclonal antibody-based serological methods for detection of Cucumber green mottle mosaic virus
State Key Laboratory of Rice Biology, Institute of Biotechnology, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
Virol J 8:228. 2011
- Detection of white spot syndrome virus by polymerase chain reaction performed under insulated isothermal conditions
Yun Long Tsai
Department of Research and Development, GeneReach Biotechnology Corporation, Taichung, Taiwan
J Virol Methods 181:134-7. 2012
..iiPCR has a potential as a low-cost method for sensitive, specific and rapid detection of pathogens...
- Comparison of the Luminex Respiratory Virus Panel fast assay with in-house real-time PCR for respiratory viral infection diagnosis
Naomi J Gadsby
Specialist Virology Centre, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Little France Crescent, Edinburgh, EH16 4SA, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 48:2213-6. 2010
..and multiplex real-time PCRs in the testing of 286 respiratory specimens submitted to the Edinburgh Specialist Virology Centre for routine diagnosis of viral infection between December 2007 and February 2009...
- Sensitivity of influenza rapid diagnostic tests to H5N1 and 2009 pandemic H1N1 viruses
Division of Virology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Tokyo, Shirokanedai, Minato ku, Tokyo 108 8639, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 48:2872-7. 2010
..Our results indicate that the detection sensitivity to swine origin H1N1 viruses varies widely among IRDTs, with some tests lacking sufficient sensitivity to detect the early stages of infection when the virus load is low...
- Metagenomics for the discovery of novel human viruses
British Columbia Centre for Disease Control, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, 655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 4R4, Canada
Future Microbiol 5:177-89. 2010
..Sequencing-based methods have also been successfully employed to detect novel viruses and have the potential to detect the full spectrum of viruses, including those present in low numbers...
- RNA and DNA bacteriophages as molecular diagnosis controls in clinical virology: a comprehensive study of more than 45,000 routine PCR tests
UMR190, Université de la Méditerranée and Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, Marseille, France
PLoS ONE 6:e16142. 2011
..proved to be cost-effective, flexible and adaptable to various technical procedures of real-time PCR detection in virology. It represents a valuable strategy for enhancing the quality of routine molecular diagnosis in laboratories that ..
- Comparative evaluation of the QIAGEN QIAsymphony® SP system and bioMérieux NucliSens easyMAG automated extraction platforms in a clinical virology laboratory
Adele V Lee
Department of Infection HPA Lead Microbiology Laboratory for London, Barts and The London NHS Trust, London, E1 2ES, UK
J Clin Virol 52:339-43. 2011
..The QIAGEN QIAsymphony(®) SP is an automated system that can process a variety of different sample types for nucleic acid extraction...
- Detection by PCR of human papillomavirus in Colombia: Comparison of GP5+/6+ and MY09/11 primer sets
Molecular Biology Department, Fundacion Instituto de Inmunologia de Colombia, Bogota, Colombia
J Virol Methods 178:68-74. 2011
..This study highlights the importance of suitable assessment of HPV epidemiological profiles; screening programs must also be strengthened to broaden the coverage of the most vulnerable populations...
- First international external quality assessment of molecular detection of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus
Centre for Biosafety, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1706. 2012
..These results indicate that there is still a need for improving testing conditions and standardizing protocols for the molecular detection of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus...
- Full HPV typing by a single restriction enzyme
Departamento de Biologia Funcional, Universidad de Oviedo, 33071 Oviedo, Spain
J Clin Virol 37:38-46. 2006
..However, we think that these methods have not taken full advantage of the high diversity of the known restriction enzymes...
- Development of a convenient immunochromatographic strip for the diagnosis of infection with Japanese encephalitis virus in swine
State Key Laboratory of Agricultural Microbiology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, Hubei 430070, China
J Virol Methods 168:51-6. 2010
..3% and 85.7% respectively as compared to that of RT-PCR. This suggests that the MAbs-based ICS test can be used as a convenient method for the rapid detection of JEV in infected swine samples...
- Description and validation of a novel real-time RT-PCR enterovirus assay
Weston C Hymas
Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, USA
Clin Chem 54:406-13. 2008
..The assay includes an RNA internal control and incorporates modified nucleotide chemistry...
- Development of a gene capture method to rescue a large deletion mutant of human cytomegalovirus
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, 07101, USA
J Virol Methods 157:180-7. 2009
..This method will be useful particularly for cloning large DNA fragments from any genome without introducing undesired mutations by traditional PCR-based approaches...
- Methods for sampling of airborne viruses
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Laval, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie, 2725 Chemin Ste Foy, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada G1V 4G5
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 72:413-44. 2008
..Lastly, general recommendations are made regarding future studies on the sampling of airborne viruses...
- Evaluation of a commercial SD dengue virus NS1 antigen capture enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay kit for early diagnosis of dengue virus infection
Seok Mui Wang
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Clin Microbiol 48:2793-7. 2010
..97%. Combining this assay with an IgM and/or IgG assay will increase the sensitivity of detection, especially in areas with a higher prevalence of secondary dengue virus infections...
- Phages harboring specific peptides that recognize the N protein of the porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus distinguish the virus from other viruses
College of Veterinary Medicine, Northeast Agricultural University, 59 Mucai St, Xiangfang District, 150030 Harbin, China
J Clin Microbiol 48:1875-81. 2010
..More importantly, the selected phages harboring specific peptides that recognize the N protein of PRRSV were able to efficiently distinguish PRRSV from other viruses in enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays...
- Diagnostic assays for active infection with human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6)
Mary T Caserta
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, United States
J Clin Virol 48:55-7. 2010
..Chromosomal integration of HHV-6 also occurs. Previous studies have suggested that the detection of HHV-6 DNA in plasma is an accurate marker of active viral replication...
- Improved PCR methods for detection of African rabies and rabies-related lyssaviruses
Department of Microbiology and Plant Pathology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, University of Pretoria, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
J Clin Microbiol 48:3949-55. 2010
..Alternatively, the hnRT-PCR assay can be used in laboratories that do not have access to expensive real-time PCR equipment for sensitive diagnosis of lyssaviruses...
- Immunofluorescence versus xTAG multiplex PCR for the detection of respiratory picornavirus infections in children
University Children s Hospital, Inselspital, and Institute of Infectious Diseases, University of Bern, Freiburgstrasse 3, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Virol 48:223-5. 2010
..Immunofluorescence (IF), widely used to detect other respiratory viruses, has recently been introduced as a promising detection method for respiratory picornaviruses...
- Development of a blocking ELISA for detection of serum neutralizing antibodies against porcine circovirus type 2
Division of Swine Infectious Diseases, National Key Laboratory of Veterinary Biotechnology, Harbin Veterinary Research Institute, The Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Harbin, China
J Virol Methods 171:26-33. 2011
..This report demonstrates that the assay is a simple, specific, sensitive and convenient method for epidemiological surveys and evaluations of serum neutralizing antibodies against PCV2...
- Comparison of the performance of direct fluorescent antibody staining, a point-of-care rapid antigen test and virus isolation with that of RT-PCR for the detection of novel 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus in respiratory specimens
Institute of Virology, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Med Microbiol 59:713-7. 2010
..In summary, DFA staining is superior to POC testing and may be appropriate for patients expected to have a rather high level of virus replication. Nevertheless, in DFA-negative specimens, A/H1N1/2009 should be excluded by RT-PCR...
- Comparison of a real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assay and a culture technique for quantitative assessment of viral load in children naturally infected with respiratory syncytial virus
Stephanie M Perkins
Unversity of Tennessee School of Medicine, Memphis, TN, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:2356-62. 2005
..The utility of the RTrtPCR quantification technique for clinical studies would be solidified after its correlation with RSV disease severity is established...
- GC content-based pan-pox universal PCR assays for poxvirus detection
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Zoonotic, Vector Borne, and Enteric Diseases, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:268-76. 2010
..The pan-pox assays represent an important advance for the screening and diagnosis of human and animal poxvirus infections, and the technology used is accessible to many laboratories worldwide...
- Assessment of MagNA pure LC extraction system for detection of human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA in PreservCyt samples by the Roche AMPLICOR and LINEAR ARRAY HPV tests
Matthew P Stevens
Department of Microbiology, The Royal Women s Hospital, and Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 44:2428-33. 2006
- Repeated HIV-1 resistance genotyping external quality assessments improve virology laboratory performance
Laboratoire de Virologie, CHU Bichat Claude Bernard, Paris, France
J Med Virol 78:153-60. 2006
The performance of French virology laboratories belonging to the ANRS network has been assessed annually for 3 years. The performance of these laboratories was compared between the years 2002 and 2003...
- Retrovirology and young Turks
Kuan Teh Jeang
Retrovirology 1:1. 2004
- Comparison between pernasal flocked swabs and nasopharyngeal aspirates for detection of common respiratory viruses in samples from children
Caritas Baby Hospital, Bethlehem
J Clin Microbiol 46:2414-7. 2008
..5% and 100%, respectively. The excellent sensitivity of the flocked swab samples in combination with the rapid means by which they may be collected makes them an alternative to NPA samples, whose collection is more invasive...
- Establishment of fruit bat cells (Rousettus aegyptiacus) as a model system for the investigation of filoviral infection
Institut fur Virologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Marburg, Germany
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e802. 2010
- Improved detection of respiratory viruses in pediatric outpatients with acute respiratory illness by real-time PCR using nasopharyngeal flocked swabs
Patrick Kiio Munywoki
KEMRI Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kilifi, Kenya
J Clin Microbiol 49:3365-7. 2011
..6% versus 79.2%; P = 0.0043). NFS collection was noninferior to NW collection in the detection of RSV by IF...
- Comparison of the Luminex xTAG respiratory viral panel with xTAG respiratory viral panel fast for diagnosis of respiratory virus infections
Provincial Laboratory for Public Health, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 49:1738-44. 2011
..A small number of samples positive for influenza A virus, respiratory syncytial virus B, human metapneumovirus, and parainfluenza virus type 1 were not detected by the RVP Classic assay and in general had low viral loads...
- Double-labelled HIV-1 particles for study of virus-cell interaction
Department of Virology, Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Virology 360:92-104. 2007
..We present here a detailed characterization of this novel tool together with exemplary live cell imaging studies, demonstrating its suitability for real-time analyses of HIV-cell interaction...
- The design and validation of a novel phenotypic assay to determine HIV-1 coreceptor usage of clinical isolates
Nina H Lin
Infectious Diseases Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Jackson 504, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Virol Methods 169:39-46. 2010
..This assay provides a sensitive, efficient and relatively low-cost approach suitable for use by research laboratories for assessing HIV-1 coreceptor usage of plasma samples...
- Long PCR and its application to hepatitis viruses: amplification of hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C virus genomes
Hepatitis Viruses Section, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Clin Microbiol 34:3085-91. 1996
..We amplified the nearly full-length sequence of each of these viruses from a small number of viral genomes, demonstrating the sensitivity of the process...
- Complementary monoclonal antibody-based dot ELISA for universal detection of H5 avian influenza virus
Animal Health Biotechnology, Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory, National University of Singapore, Singapore
BMC Microbiol 10:330. 2010
..Rapid diagnosis and surveillance for H5 subtype viruses are critical for the control of H5N1 infection...
- Screening of mosquitoes using SYBR Green I-based real-time RT-PCR with group-specific primers for detection of Flaviviruses and Alphaviruses in Taiwan
Cheng Fen Yang
Department of Health, Research and Diagnostic Center, Centers for Disease Control, Taipei, Taiwan
J Virol Methods 168:147-51. 2010
..This study is the first to quantify the viral load in individual mosquitoes over the course of a 16-day extrinsic incubation period...
- The discovery of endogenous retroviruses
Robin A Weiss
Division of Infection and Immunity, University College London, 46 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF, UK
Retrovirology 3:67. 2006
..Here I recount some of the key observations in birds and mammals that led to the discovery of ERV, and comment on their evolution, cross-species dispersion, and what remains to be elucidated...
- A highly efficient protocol of generating and analyzing VZV ORF deletion mutants based on a newly developed luciferase VZV BAC system
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, 225 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07101 1709, USA
J Virol Methods 148:197-204. 2008
..In this study, a highly efficient protocol has been developed exploiting the new luciferase VZV BAC system to rapidly isolate and characterize VZV ORF deletion mutants by growth curve analysis in cell culture...
- Development of a porcine epidemic diarrhea virus M protein-based ELISA for virus detection
Department of Preventive Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Northeast Agricultural University, 59 Mucai Street, Xiangfang District, Harbin 150030, China
Biotechnol Lett 33:215-20. 2011
..Other viruses, porcine transmissible gastroenteritis coronavirus, avian infectious bronchitis coronavirus, porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus, classic swine fever virus and porcine pseudorabies virus, were unreactive...
- Rapid identification of neuraminidase inhibitor resistance mutations in seasonal influenza virus A(H1N1), A(H1N1)2009, and A(H3N2) subtypes by melting point analysis
Department of Virology, Medical University Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, 1095, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:1593-601. 2012
..MPA enables a clear identification of mutations associated with antiviral resistance...
- Development of a sensitive real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assay with an internal control to detect and quantify chikungunya virus
Services de Bactériologie Parasitologie Virologie et Hygiène, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, Saint Pierre, La Reunion
Clin Chem 53:1408-14. 2007
..Facing an outbreak of unprecedented magnitude, we developed a rapid, sensitive, and reliable assay for the detection and quantification of CHIKV in plasma samples...
- Systems virology: host-directed approaches to viral pathogenesis and drug targeting
G Lynn Law
Department of Microbiology and Washington National Primate Research Center, University of Washington, Box 358070, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Nat Rev Microbiol 11:455-66. 2013
High-throughput molecular profiling and computational biology are changing the face of virology, providing a new appreciation of the importance of the host in viral pathogenesis and offering unprecedented opportunities for better ..
- Diagnostic virology: from animals to automation
G D Hsiung
Yale J Biol Med 57:727-33. 1984
..Discovery of unknown viral agents still requires continued search and diligent effort...
- High concordance of genotypic coreceptor prediction in plasma-viral RNA and proviral DNA of HIV-1 subtype C: implications for use of whole blood DNA in resource-limited settings
Department of Microbiology, St John s Medical College and Hospital, Bangalore, India
J Antimicrob Chemother 68:2003-6. 2013
..We aimed to evaluate the performance of cell-associated proviral DNA against plasma-derived viral RNA as the genetic material for GTT in an Indian clinical setting...
- Evaluation of the Cepheid Xpert Flu Assay for rapid identification and differentiation of influenza A, influenza A 2009 H1N1, and influenza B viruses
S M Novak-Weekley
Southern California Permanente Medical Group, North Hollywood, California, USA
J Clin Microbiol 50:1704-10. 2012
..5%, 100%, and 93.8%, respectively. We conclude that the Cepheid Xpert Flu Assay is an accurate and rapid method that is suitable for on-demand testing for influenza viral infection...
- Visual detection of pandemic influenza A H1N1 Virus 2009 by reverse-transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification with hydroxynaphthol blue dye
Xue Jun Ma
National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Ying Xin Road 100, Xuan Wu District, Beijing 100052, China
J Virol Methods 167:214-7. 2010
..RT-LAMP with HNB dye was demonstrated to be a sensitive and easy assay for rapid detection of pandemic influenza A H1N1 virus...
- Molecular virology in the clinical laboratory
Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Laboratory Science Program, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1776 Raritan Road, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076, USA
Clin Lab Sci 23:231-6. 2010
- Highly sensitive detection of the group A Rotavirus using Apolipoprotein H-coated ELISA plates compared to quantitative real-time PCR
Robert Koch Institute, Center for Biological Security ZBS1, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Virol J 8:63. 2011
..In order to demonstrate that this is a valid approach we show detection of group A rotaviruses from stool samples as a proof of principle for a new method of capture ELISA that should also be applicable to other viruses...
- Quantification of HBsAg: basic virology for clinical practice
Jung Min Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, South Korea
World J Gastroenterol 17:283-9. 2011
..In this article, we review current concepts and issues on the quantification of HBsAg titers with respect to their biologic nature, method principles, and clinically relevant topics...
- Comparison of the Eragen Multi-Code Respiratory Virus Panel with conventional viral testing and real-time multiplex PCR assays for detection of respiratory viruses
Max Q Arens
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:2387-95. 2010
High-throughput multiplex assays for respiratory viruses are an important step forward in diagnostic virology. We compared one such assay, the PLx Multi-Code Respiratory Virus Panel (PLx-RVP), manufactured by Eragen Biosciences, Inc...
- Simultaneous detection of influenza A, influenza B, and respiratory syncytial viruses and subtyping of influenza A H3N2 virus and H1N1 (2009) virus by multiplex real-time PCR
Center of Clinical Laboratory, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
J Clin Microbiol 49:1653-6. 2011
- Genome analysis and detection of a Chilean isolate of Grapevine leafroll associated virus-3
Esteban A Engel
Fundación Ciencia para la Vida and Instituto Milenio de Biología Fundamental y Aplicada, Zañartu, 1482 Santiago, Chile
Virus Genes 37:110-8. 2008
- High-content screening to distinguish between attachment and post-attachment steps of human cytomegalovirus entry into fibroblasts and epithelial cells
Lead Finding Platform, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Novartis Campus, Basle, Switzerland
Antiviral Res 89:246-56. 2011
..Compounds were identified that were able to inhibit virus entry into both cell types at either attachment or post-attachment steps...
- Post-genomic virology: the impact of bioinformatics, microarrays and proteomics on investigating host and pathogen interactions
Wohl Virion Centre, Department of Immunology and Molecular Pathology, Windeyer Institute of Medical Sciences, University College London, 46 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4JF, UK
Rev Med Virol 11:313-29. 2001
..Such research should ultimately result in new methods for diagnosing and treating infectious diseases...
- Posttreatment human papillomavirus testing for recurrent cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: a systematic review
Benjamin K S Chan
Oregon Evidence Based Practice Center, Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:422.e1-9. 2009
- International naming of viruses - a digest of recent developments
Plant Research International WUR, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Arch Virol 147:1471-7. 2002
- Constantin Levaditi (1874-1953): a pioneer in Immunology and Virology
Department of History of Medicine, Medical School of the Athens University, Greece
J Med Biogr 14:178-82. 2006
- Comparison of the PapilloCheck® assay with the digene HC2 HPV DNA assay for the detection of 13 high-risk human papillomaviruses in cervical and anal scrapes
Marie Noëlle Didelot
Department of Biology and Pathology, Montpellier University Hospital, Montpellier, France
J Med Virol 83:1377-82. 2011
..The results obtained indicate that the PapilloCheck® assay may be considered as a reliable screening test for HPV detection and typing...
- Timely diagnosis of respiratory tract infections: evaluation of the performance of the Respifinder assay compared to the xTAG respiratory viral panel assay
Clinical Laboratory, Jessa Hospital, Site Virga Jesse, Stadsomvaart 11, B 3500 Hasselt, Belgium
J Clin Virol 52:314-6. 2011
..Existing non-molecular diagnostic methods have several drawbacks such as limited sensitivity, long turn-a-round time and limited number of pathogens that can be detected...
- Evaluation of the performance of the novel PapilloCheck HPV genotyping test by comparison with two other genotyping systems and the HC2 test
Sektion Experimentelle Virologie, Institute of Medical Virology, University Hospital Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
J Med Virol 82:605-15. 2010
..In conclusion, this study shows that the PapilloCheck give comparable results to established PCR methods. However, these results also show a necessity for the standardization of genotype-specific HPV detection assays...
- Molecular epidemiology of human papillomavirus genotype in women with high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion and cervical cancer: will a quadrivalent vaccine be necessary in Thailand?
Faculty of Medicine, Unit of Virology and Molecular Microbiology, Department of Pathology, Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Virol 83:119-26. 2011
..Therefore, HPV-58, HPV-33, and HPV-68 should be considered for development of the next vaccine generation in Thailand...
- Detection and typing of low-risk human papillomavirus genotypes HPV 6, HPV 11, HPV 42, HPV 43 and HPV 44 by polymerase chain reaction and restriction fragment length polymorphism
Polona J Maver
Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Zaloska 4, 1105 Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Virol Methods 169:215-8. 2010
..The novel assay is simple and robust, does not require any sophisticated equipment and can be of great value for epidemiological studies, particularly in settings in which financial resources are limited...
- Personal historical chronicle of six decades of basic and applied research in virology, immunology, and vaccinology
M R Hilleman
Merck Institute for Therapeutic Research, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Immunol Rev 170:7-27. 1999
..a microbe hunter in fact, was asked to chronicle his six decades of pioneering achievements in basic and applied virology, bacteriology, immunology, molecular biology, epidemiology, and cancer, with special reference to the pioneering ..
- Standardization of sensitive human immunodeficiency virus coculture procedures and establishment of a multicenter quality assurance program for the AIDS Clinical Trials Group. The NIH/NIAID/DAIDS/ACTG Virology Laboratories
F B Hollinger
Division of Molecular Virology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030
J Clin Microbiol 30:1787-94. 1992
..This consensus protocol is recommended for any laboratory attempting to isolate HIV for the purpose of standardizing recovery and for accessing virologic endpoints in clinical trials...
- A Simple-Probe real-time PCR assay for genotyping reassorted and non-reassorted isolates of Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever virus in southern Africa
Department of Biotechnology, University of Johannesburg, PO Box 17011, Doornfontein 2028, South Africa
J Virol Methods 169:34-8. 2010
..This assay provides a reliable and sensitive tool for the differentiation between reassorted and non-reassorted variants of CCHFV which finds application for diagnosis and epidemiologic and surveillance studies...
- High specificity of line-immunoassay based algorithms for recent HIV-1 infection independent of viral subtype and stage of disease
University of Zurich, Institute of Medical Virology, Swiss National Center for Retroviruses, Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Infect Dis 11:254. 2011
..Here, we sought to further investigate the diagnostic specificity of various Inno-Lia algorithms and to identify factors affecting it...