Genomes and Genes
Summary: The posture of an individual lying face up.
Publications250 found, 100 shown here
- Effects of supine, prone, and lateral positions on cardiovascular and renal variables in humansBettina Pump
Department of Aviation Medicine, The Heart Centre, Copenhagen University Hospital Rigshospitalet 7522, 9 Blegdamsvej, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 283:R174-80. 2002..The mechanisms of the slightly augmented urine output in prone position require further experimentation...
- Individual positioning: a comparative study of adjuvant breast radiotherapy in the prone versus supine positionZoltan Varga
Department of Oncotherapy, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 75:94-100. 2009..To study breast radiotherapy in the prone vs. supine positions through dosimetry and clinical implementation...
- Direct aperture optimization-based intensity-modulated radiotherapy for whole breast irradiationErgun E Ahunbay
Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67:1248-58. 2007..g., beamlet optimized) IMRT and conventional three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy (3D-CRT) for whole breast irradiation in supine and prone positions...
- Effect of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty on positional dependency in obstructive sleep apneaChul Hee Lee
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, 300 Goomi Dong, Bundang gu, Seongnam, Gyunggi do 463 707, South Korea
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:675-9. 2011..To assess the effect of uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP) on positional dependency in patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)...
- Anatomical variation between the prone, supine, and supine oblique positions on computed tomography: implications for percutaneous nephrolithotomy accessBrian Duty
Arthur Smith Institute for Urology, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, New Hyde Park, NY 11042, USA
Urology 79:67-71. 2012..To determine anatomical variations between the prone, supine, and supine oblique positions that are likely to affect percutaneous renal access...
- Quantitative cardiovascular magnetic resonance in pregnant women: cross-sectional analysis of physiological parameters throughout pregnancy and the impact of the supine positionAlexia Rossi
Department of Cardiology, Erasmus University Medical Center s, Gravendijkwal 230, 3015CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 13:31. 2011..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of postural changes on cardiac dimensions and function during mid and late pregnancy using cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR)...
- A simple technique for craniospinal radiotherapy in the supine positionWilliam A Parker
Department of Medical Physics, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Canada
Radiother Oncol 78:217-22. 2006..We have developed a CT-based technique for whole CNS irradiation in the supine position that uses fixed field parameters, asymmetric jaws for field matching and drastically reduces simulation and ..
- Alternated prone and supine whole-breast irradiation using IMRT: setup precision, respiratory movement and treatment timeLiv Veldeman
Department of Radiotherapy, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82:2055-64. 2012..The objective of this study was to compare setup precision, respiration-related breast movement and treatment time between prone and supine positions for whole-breast irradiation...
- Comparison of speech production in upright and supine positionM Stone
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 122:532-41. 2007..Measurements and judgments of speech may be made in conditions requiring a supine position, however...
- Preoxygenation is more effective in the 25 degrees head-up position than in the supine position in severely obese patients: a randomized controlled studyBenjamin J Dixon
Australian Center for Obesity Research and Education, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne 3181, Victoria, Australia
Anesthesiology 102:1110-5; discussion 5A. 2005Class III obese patients have altered respiratory mechanics, which are further impaired in the supine position. The authors explored the hypothesis that preoxygenation in the 25 degrees head-up position allows a greater safety margin for ..
- Supine Valdivia and modified lithotomy position for simultaneous anterograde and retrograde endourological accessGaspar Ibarluzea
Department of Urology, Galdakao Hospital, Bizkaia, Basque Country, Spain
BJU Int 100:233-6. 2007
- Supine versus prone position during percutaneous nephrolithotomy: a report from the clinical research office of the endourological society percutaneous nephrolithotomy global studyJosé G Valdivia
Department of Urology, Clinical University Hospital Lozano Blesa, Zaragoza, Spain
J Endourol 25:1619-25. 2011....
- Measuring orthostatic hypotension with the Finometer device: is a blood pressure drop of one heartbeat clinically relevant?Nathalie van der Velde
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Blood Press Monit 12:167-71. 2007..This was also compared with conventional sphygmomanometer measurements...
- Whole breast radiotherapy in prone and supine position: is there a place for multi-beam IMRT?Thomas Mulliez
Department of Radiotherapy, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, Ghent 9000, Belgium
Radiat Oncol 8:151. 2013..We compared dosimetry of wedged tangential fields (W-TF), tangential field intensity-modulated radiotherapy (TF-IMRT) and multi-beam IMRT (MB-IMRT) in prone and supine positions for whole-breast irradiation (WBI)...
- Supine percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL): 'in vogue' but in which position?Priyadarshi Kumar
Endourology and Stone Services, Barts and The London NHS Trust, London, UK
BJU Int 110:E1018-21. 2012..The supine position offers a shorter operative duration with better access to the airway for the anaesthetist and also allows for ..
- Prospective assessment of optimal individual position (prone versus supine) for breast radiotherapy: volumetric and dosimetric correlations in 100 patientsStella C Lymberis
Department of Radiation Oncology, New York University School of Medicine and Langone Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 84:902-9. 2012..We conducted a prospective study to evaluate which position is best to spare lung and heart from radiotherapy exposure...
- Prostate biopsy in the supine position in a standard 1.5-T scanner under real time MR-imaging control using a MR-compatible endorectal biopsy deviceK Engelhard
Radiologische Abteilung, Krankenhaus Martha Maria, Stadenstr 59, 90491 Nürnberg, Germany
Eur Radiol 16:1237-43. 2006..5-T scanner in the supine position. After localization of suspected tumor areas using an endorectal coil and two body-phased array coils, the ..
- Postural changes in lung volumes and respiratory resistance in subjects with obesityR A Watson
Respiratory Medicine National Heart and Lung Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
J Appl Physiol 98:512-7. 2005..Rrs,mo at isovolume was increased. Further studies are needed to examine the causes of reduced TLC and increases in Rrs,mo and sometimes in Rnp in obese subjects...
- Prone versus supine positioning for whole and partial-breast radiotherapy: a comparison of non-target tissue dosimetryAnna M Kirby
Department of Academic Radiotherapy, Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, UK
Radiother Oncol 96:178-84. 2010..To compare non-target tissue (including left-anterior-descending coronary-artery (LAD)) dosimetry of prone versus supine whole (WBI) and partial-breast irradiation (PBI)...
- Age dependency of cardiovascular autonomic responses to head-up tilt in healthy subjectsTomi Laitinen
Department of Clinical Physiology and Nuclear Medicine, Kuopio University, Kuopio University Hospital, Puijonlaaksontie 2, P O Box 1777, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:2333-40. 2004..Five-minute electrocardiogram and finger blood pressure recordings were performed in the supine position and in the upright position 5 min after 70 degrees HUT...
- Effect of prone positioning on clinical outcomes in children with acute lung injury: a randomized controlled trialMartha A Q Curley
Children s Hospital Boston, Medical Surgical Intensive Care Unit, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
JAMA 294:229-37. 2005..In uncontrolled clinical studies, prone positioning appeared to be safe and to improve oxygenation in pediatric patients with acute lung injury. However, the effect of prone positioning on clinical outcomes in children is not known...
- Reliability of a clinical test for deep cervical flexor enduranceLee E Olson
Department of Physical Therapy, Andrews University, Berrien Springs, Mich 49104 0420, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 29:134-8. 2006..A need exists for reliable clinical tests of flexor endurance. This study determined intrarater and interrater reliability of such a test in persons without neck pain...
- Effect of prone positioning on the survival of patients with acute respiratory failureL Gattinoni
Istituto di Anestesia e Rianimazione, Universita di Milano, Ospedale Maggiore di Milano, Milan, Italy
N Engl J Med 345:568-73. 2001..Although placing patients with acute respiratory failure in a prone (face down) position improves their oxygenation 60 to 70 percent of the time, the effect on survival is not known...
- Hypoxemia in inferior pulmonary veins in supine position is dependent on obesityTeiichi Yamane
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jikei University School of Medicine, 3 25 8 Nishi shinbashi, Minato ku, Tokyo 105 8461, Japan
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:295-9. 2008..Although arterial oxygen concentration decreases in obese subjects, the mechanism for this remains to be determined...
- Bilateral hand-assisted retroperitoneoscopic nephroureterectomy (HARN) in the spread-eagle position for dialysis patients-low midline HARN in a completely supine positionChien Hui Ou
Department of Urology, Medical College and Hospital, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Urology 77:363-7. 2011To evaluate the feasibility of hand-assisted bilateral retroperitoneoscopic nephroureterectomy (HARN) in a completely supine position (spread-eagle position [SEP]) for dialysis patients with bilateral upper urinary tract tumors.
- The influence of sleep position and obesity on sleep apneaY Itasaka
Department of Otolaryngology, Akita University School of Medicine, Japan
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 54:340-1. 2000..0% in good responders and 40.0% in poor responders. The ratio in the mild obese group was 51.8% in good responders and 66.7% in poor responders. In the obese group, the ratio was 59.4% in good responders and 78.9% in poor responders...
- Differential effect of head-up tilt on cardiovagal and sympathetic baroreflex sensitivity in humansD D O'Leary
Neurovascular Research Laboratory, School of Kinesiology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 3K7
Exp Physiol 88:769-74. 2003..01). Thus, HUT produced differential effects on cardiac versus sympathetic BRS. The data suggest that dynamic baroreflex-mediated cardiovascular control is dominated by sympathetic control during baroreceptor unloading...
- Modified supine versus prone position in percutaneous nephrolithotomy for renal stones treatable with a single percutaneous access: a prospective randomized trialMarco De Sio
Clinica Urologica, Seconda Universita degli Studi, Naples, Italy
Eur Urol 54:196-202. 2008..To compare operative time, safety, and effectiveness of percutaneous nephrolithotomy in the supine versus prone position in a prospective randomized trial...
- Laryngeal exposure during laryngoscopy is better in the 25 degrees back-up position than in the supine positionB J Lee
Department of Anaesthesiology, Kyung Hee University, East West Neo Medical Center, 149 Sangil dong Gangdong gu, Seoul 134 090, Korea
Br J Anaesth 99:581-6. 2007..Good visualization of the glottis is important for tracheal intubation. This study evaluated whether the 25 degrees back-up position improves the quality of the laryngeal view during laryngoscopy...
- Venous air embolism during awake craniotomy in a supine patientMrinalini Balki
Department of Anesthesia, The Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Anaesth 50:835-8. 2003..To report a non-fatal case of intraoperative venous air embolism (VAE) during an awake craniotomy. VAE presented with unusual clinical features...
- Hand assisted retroperitoneoscopic nephroureterectomy with the patient spread-eagled: an approach through a completely supine positionChien Hui Ou
Department of Urology, College of Medicine and Hospital, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Urol 180:1918-22; discussion 1922. 2008..We evaluated the feasibility of hand assisted retroperitoneoscopic nephroureterectomy for transitional cell carcinoma of the upper urinary tract with the patient completely supine (spread-eagled)...
- Position: prone or supine is the issue of percutaneous nephrolithotomyRoberto Miano
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Policlinico Tor Vergata, University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
J Endourol 24:931-8. 2010..However, there is no consensus on which is the best position for percutaneous nephrolithotomy, and the choice is currently based on the surgeon's preference...
- A prospective study of intrafraction prostate motion in the prone vs. supine positionRichard B Wilder
Cancer Center of Irvine, Ste 130, Irvine, CA 92618, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 77:165-70. 2010To prospectively analyze prostate intrafraction motion in the prone vs. supine position and to assess patient satisfaction with these two positions.
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy in the supine position: a neglected approach?Denby Steele
Urology Unit, Department of Surgical Services, Royal Adelaide Hospital, South Australia
J Endourol 21:1433-7. 2007The aim of the study was to demonstrate the safety and effectiveness of single-stage percutaneous nephrolithotomy performed in the supine position.
- Supine position compared to other positions during the second stage of labor: a meta-analytic reviewA de jonge
Department of General Practice and Social Medicine, Nijmegen University, The Netherlands
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 25:35-45. 2004The routine use of the supine position during the second stage of labor can be considered to be an intervention in the natural course of labor. This study aimed to establish whether the continuation of this intervention is justified...
- 24-hour intraocular pressure of young healthy humans in supine position: rhythm and reproducibilityBenjamin Mottet
Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:8186-91. 2012..We evaluated the supine 24-hour IOP rhythm reproducibility over 6 weeks in healthy humans...
- Initial orthostatic hypotension and cerebral blood flow regulation: effect of α1-adrenoreceptor activityNia C S Lewis
Centre for Heart, Lung and Vascular Health, School of Health and Exercise Sciences, Development, University of British Columbia, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 304:R147-54. 2013..Although the development of IOH is not influenced by the α(1)-adrenergic receptor pathway, this pathway is critical in the recovery from IOH to prevent cerebral hypoperfusion and ultimately syncope...
- Bilateral hand-assisted laparoscopic renal surgery in the supine position: the spleen at riskJames A Brown
Division of Urology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia, USA
JSLS 15:27-31. 2011We evaluated the safety of simultaneous bilateral renal procedures performed using hand-assisted laparoscopy (HAL) with the patient in the supine position.
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of percutaneous nephrolithotomy for patients in the supine versus prone positionLiangren Liu
Department of Urology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan, People s Republic of China
J Endourol 24:1941-6. 2010To evaluate the efficacy and safety of percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) for patients in the supine position vs prone position.
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy: does position matter? - prone, supine and variationsRanan Dasgupta
Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London, UK
Curr Opin Urol 23:164-8. 2013..of percutaneous renal stone surgery has recently seen an increasing number undergoing surgery in the supine position rather than just the classical prone technique...
- MRI- versus CT-based volume delineation of lumpectomy cavity in supine position in breast-conserving therapy: an exploratory studyMarina Giezen
Radiotherapy Center West, Medical Center Haaglanden, The Hague, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82:1332-40. 2012..To examine magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) for lumpectomy cavity (LC) volume delineation in supine radiotherapy treatment position and to assess the interobserver variability...
- Differences in blood pressure by body position (supine, Fowler's, and sitting) in hypertensive subjectsGiancarlo Cicolini
Department of Medicine and Science of Aging, University G d Annunzio of Chieti, Chieti, Italy
Am J Hypertens 24:1073-9. 2011..We performed a cross-sectional study to compare BP values obtained in supine, sitting, and Fowler's positions in essential hypertensive subjects...
- Goal directed reaching and postural control in supine position in healthy infantsB Fallang
Faculty of Health Sciences, Oslo College, Pilestredet 52, 0167, Oslo, Norway
Behav Brain Res 115:9-18. 2000The present study focussed on the development and interaction of reaching and posture in supine position in young infants...
- A prospective, randomised controlled trial comparing the efficacy of pre-oxygenation in the 20 degrees head-up vs supine positionS Lane
Intensive Care, St George s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Anaesthesia 60:1064-7. 2005..CI) apnoea time was 386 (343-429) s in the 20 degrees head-up position (n = 17) vs 283 (243-322) s in the supine position (n = 18; p = 0.002)...
- Biventricular response to supine physical exercise in young adults assessed with ultrafast magnetic resonance imagingA A Roest
Department of Radiology, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Am J Cardiol 87:601-5. 2001..The results fit well with current concepts of cardiac physiology, and therefore we conclude that ergometer-induced exercise MRI is a valid approach to assess physiologic changes in LV and RV function simultaneously...
- Effects of a mononitrate, a beta1-blocker and a dihydropyridine calcium channel blocker on cardiovascular responsiveness to passive orthostasis: a placebo-controlled double-blind study in normotensive volunteersRitva Ylitalo
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Tampere Medical School, Tampere, Finland
Arzneimittelforschung 55:160-6. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare the influences of antianginal drugs such as mononitrate, beta-blocker and calcium channel blocker on cardiovascular responsiveness to orthostasis...
- Local setup reproducibility of the spinal column when using intensity-modulated radiation therapy for craniospinal irradiation with patient in supine positionEva Maria Stoiber
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81:1552-9. 2011....
- A randomized crossover study to determine the effect of a 30° head-up versus a supine position on the functional residual capacity of term parturientsRachel Hignett
Department of Anesthesia, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Anesth Analg 113:1098-102. 2011..which acts as an oxygen reservoir, is reduced from the second trimester onwards and is exacerbated in the supine position. Mechanisms to increase FRC may delay the onset of hypoxemia during periods of apnea...
- Efficacy of the 'tennis ball technique' versus nCPAP in the management of position-dependent obstructive sleep apnoea syndromeMargot A Skinner
Respiratory Research Unit, Dunedin School of Medicine, School of Physiotherapy, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Respirology 13:708-15. 2008Avoidance of sleep in the supine position is recommended in the management of position-dependent OSA hypopnoea syndrome (OSAHS)...
- [Treatment of obstructive sleep apnea with a new vest preventing the supine position]J T Maurer
Schlafmedizinisches Zentrum, Universitätsklinik für Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde, Mannheim
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 128:71-5. 2003Prevention of the supine position has for decades been a well known treatment option in positional obstructive sleep apnea...
- Effect of postural change on nasal airway and autonomic nervous system established by rhinomanometry and heart rate variability analysisJen Hung Ko
Department of Otolaryngology, Taipei City Hospital, and Institute of Brain Science, Faculty of Medicine, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Rhinol 22:159-65. 2008Clinically, nasal obstruction is experienced frequently in the supine position, and the nasal autonomic nervous system (ANS) may be involved in the mechanism. The central ANS functions at maintaining cardiovascular hemodynamics...
- B(0) homogeneity throughout the monkey brain is strongly improved in the sphinx position as compared to the supine positionJulien Valette
Comissariat à l Energie Atomique, Service Hospitalier Frederic Joliot, 4 Place du General Leclerc, 91401 Orsay, France
J Magn Reson Imaging 23:408-12. 2006..the monkey brain in the two positions commonly used for NMR studies (the prone sphinx position and the supine position) in order to test the hypothesis that B(0) homogeneity in the sphinx position is significantly improved as ..
- Pulmonary gas trapping increases in asthmatic children and adolescents in the supine positionPer M Gustafsson
Department of Pediatric Clinical Physiology, Queen Silvia Children s Hospital, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Pediatr Pulmonol 36:34-42. 2003..multiple-breath N(2)-washout in the sitting position and immediately, 30 min, and 60 min after assuming the supine position. The asthma group also performed the same lung function tests on another day, but then remained in the ..
- Extraperitoneal laparoscopic ureterolithotomy in the supine position for impacted ureteral stonesToru Kanno
Department of Urology, Kitano Hospital, The Tazuke Kofukai Medical Research Institute, Osaka, Japan
Urology 67:828-9. 2006We describe initial experiences with extraperitoneal laparoscopic ureterolithotomy in the supine position. This method can provide adequate working space without the risk of mechanical bowel injury and nerve stretching specific to the ..
- Three-dimensional photon dosimetry: a comparison of treatment of the intact breast in the supine and prone positionKatherine L Griem
Department of Radiation Oncology, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57:891-9. 2003..To compare the adequacy of target coverage, dose homogeneity, and volume of normal tissue irradiated in treatment of the intact breast in the supine and prone position...
- Effect of posture on the thermal efficiency of a plastic bag wrapping in neonate: assessment using a thermal "sweating" mannequinKhalid Belghazi
DMAG EA 3901 INERIS, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Picardie Jules Verne, 3 rue des Louvels, F 80036 Amiens Cedex 1, France
Med Phys 33:637-44. 2006..When the bag is present, the uncovered surface of the head accounts for about 50% of the total heat loss. This simple and inexpensive solution can be used to prevent thermal stress and dehydration in very small premature neonates...
- [The significance of body posture on breathing abnormalities during sleep: data analysis of 2077 obstructive sleep apnea patients]Arie Oksenberg
Sleep Disorders Unit, Loewenstein Hospital Rehabilitation Center, Raanana
Harefuah 148:304-9, 351, 350. 2009....
- Accurate position monitoring and improved supine-dependent obstructive sleep apnea with a new position recording and supine avoidance deviceJames J Bignold
Adelaide Institute for Sleep Health, Repatriation General Hospital, Daw Park, Adelaide, South Australia
J Clin Sleep Med 7:376-83. 2011..This study evaluated the efficacy of a novel, potentially more acceptable position monitor and supine-avoidance device for managing supine-predominant OSA and snoring...
- Factors affecting operative time during percutaneous nephrolithotomy: our experience with the complete supine positionSiavash Falahatkar
Urology Research Center, Razi Hospital, Guilan University of Medical Science, Rasht, I R Iran
J Endourol 25:1831-6. 2011..We investigated variables that affect operative time during percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) with the complete supine position.
- Intraoperative fluoroscopy for evaluation of bony resection during arthroscopic management of femoroacetabular impingement in the supine positionChristopher M Larson
Minnesota Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Institute and Twin Cities Orthopedics, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Arthroscopy 25:1183-92. 2009..We describe a predictable and reproducible fluoroscopic method for performing and verifying appropriate bony resection of pincer and cam lesions in an attempt to help minimize the risk of under- and over-resection...
- Treatment outcomes of mandibular advancement devices in positional and nonpositional OSA patientsJin Woo Chung
Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Diagnosis, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 109:724-31. 2010..The aim of the study was to investigate treatment outcome of mandibular advancement devices (MADs) for positional and nonpositional obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)...
- Reliability of intrabladder pressure measurement in intensive careMelanie Horbal Shuster
West Penn Allegheny Health System, Allegheny Center for Digestive Health, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Crit Care 19:e29-39; quiz e40. 2010..The reliability of intrabladder pressure measurements obtained in nonsupine patients is unknown...
- Compartmental analysis of breathing in the supine and prone positions by optoelectronic plethysmographyA Aliverti
Dipartimento di Bioingegneria, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Ann Biomed Eng 29:60-70. 2001..In the prone position we found a different chest wall volume distribution between pulmonary and abdominal rib cage (22.1% +/- 8.6% and 24.4% +/- 6.8%, respectively) compared with the supine position (23.3% +/- 9.3% and 13.6% +/- 13.0%).
- Effect of sleep position and sleep stage on the collapsibility of the upper airways in patients with sleep apneaT Penzel
Department of Medicine, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Sleep 24:90-5. 2001..As a consequence lower nCPAP pressure is needed during lateral positions compared to supine positions...
- Postural adjustments in preterm infants at 4 and 6 months post-term during voluntary reaching in supine positionBjorg Fallang
Oslo University College, Health Sciences, Physiotherapy Programme, Pilestredet 52, 0167 Oslo, Norway
Pediatr Res 54:826-33. 2003..We concluded that "still" postural behavior is an adequate postural strategy of preterm infants. But it might be that this postural behavior is an indicator of later dysfunction...
- Are there inequalities in choice of birthing position? Sociodemographic and labour factors associated with the supine position during the second stage of labourAnk De Jonge
Department of General Practice, Women Studies Medicine, University Medical Centre St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Midwifery 25:439-48. 2009..to establish which factors are associated with birthing positions throughout the second stage of labour and at the time of birth...
- Effects of gender and posture on thoraco-abdominal kinematics during quiet breathing in healthy adultsM Romei
IRCCS E Medea, Bosisio Parini LC, Italy
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 172:184-91. 2010..during quiet breathing in five different postures from seated (with and without back support) to supine position. Chest wall kinematics and breathing pattern were significantly influenced by position and gender...
- [Efficacy and longterm compliance of the vest preventing the supine position in patients with obstructive sleep apnea]S Wenzel
Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik für Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde, Universitat Ulm
Laryngorhinootologie 86:579-83. 2007Treating the positional obstructive sleep apnea with a vest preventing the supine position is well known to be riskless and inexpensive...
- The anatomic relationship of the sciatic nerve to the lesser trochanter: implications for anterior sciatic nerve blockMarty L Ericksen
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84132, USA
Anesth Analg 95:1071-4, table of contents. 2002..sciatic nerve to the lesser trochanter, we analyzed magnetic resonance scans performed on 20 patients in the supine position. After IRB approval, magnetic resonance scans of the hip and proximal femur were reviewed in 20 supine ..
- Ultrasound-guided anterior approach to sciatic nerve block: a comparison with the posterior approachJunichi Ota
Department of Anesthesiology, Shimane University School of Medicine, 89 1, Enya cho, Izumo City, 693 8501, Japan
Anesth Analg 108:660-5. 2009..In this study, we evaluated the clinical use of the ultrasound-guided anterior approach to sciatic nerve block and compared this approach with the posterior approach in adults...
- A new anterior approach to the sciatic nerve blockJ E Chelly
Department of Anesthesiology, The University of Texas Medical School Houston, 77030 1503, USA
Anesthesiology 91:1655-60. 1999Although several anterior approaches to sciatic nerve block have been described, they are used infrequently. The authors describe a new anterior approach that allows access to the sciatic nerve with the patient in the supine position.
- Capacitive sensing of electrocardiographic potential through cloth from the dorsal surface of the body in a supine position: a preliminary studyAkinori Ueno
Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, Tokyo Denki University, Ishizaka, Hatoyama machi, Saitama 350 0394, Japan
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:759-66. 2007..Although there is still room for improvement in terms of practical use, the proposed method appears promising for application to bedding as a noninvasive and awareness-free method for ECG monitoring...
- Hypotension following combined spinal-epidural anaesthesia for Caesarean section. Left lateral position vs. tilted supine positionC Mendonca
Department of Anaesthesia, Walsgarave Hospital, Coventry, UK
Anaesthesia 58:428-31. 2003..Caesarean section were randomly allocated either to the full left lateral position (n = 45) or to the supine position with 12 degrees left lateral tilt (n = 42) after a combined spinal-epidural (CSE) in the sitting position and ..
- Pathophysiology of prone positioning in the healthy lung and in ALI/ARDSP Pelosi
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche e Biologiche, Universita dell Insubria, Servizio di Anestesia e Rianimazione B, Ospedale di Circolo, Fondazione Macchi, Viale Borri 57, 21100 Varese, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 67:238-47. 2001..The overall mortality at ICU discharge was 51% and the ICU stay was similar in survivors and non survivors (17.8 +/- 11.6 vs 17.8 +/- 11.4 days)...
- Lower pulmonary diffusing capacity in the prone vs. supine postureG Peces-Barba
Pulmonary Department, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Appl Physiol 96:1937-42. 2004....
- Human cerebral venous outflow pathway depends on posture and central venous pressureJ Gisolf
Department of Physiology, Room M01 07, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Physiol 560:317-27. 2004..vertebral plexus containing a resistance, showed blood flow mainly through the internal jugular veins in the supine position, but mainly through the vertebral plexus in the upright position...
- Evaluation by ventilation and perfusion scintigraphy in patients who developed postural hypoxemia in the supine positionS Tominaga
Department of Internal Medicine, Juntendo University Urayasu Hospital, Chiba, Japan
Ann Nucl Med 12:249-54. 1998..perfusion scintigraphy were performed in 7 patients in whom postural change from the sitting position to the supine position decreased partial oxygen pressure in arteries (PaO2) by 15 mmHg or more. Six of these 7 patients were obese...
- Lower intracuff pressure of laryngeal mask airway in the lateral and prone positions compared with that in the supine positionToshiyuki Yano
Division of Anesthesia, Kumamoto Kinoh Hospital, 6 8 1 Yamamuro, Kumamoto 860 8518, Japan
J Anesth 22:312-6. 2008..intracuff pressure (ICP) of a laryngeal mask airway (LMA) in the lateral and prone positions with that in the supine position. One hundred and eight patients, weighing 50-70 kg, scheduled for elective orthopedic and plastic surgery, ..
- Extraperitoneal laparoscopic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection in supine position after chemotherapy for advanced testicular carcinomaIsao Hara
Division of Urology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 1, Kusunoki cho, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Int J Urol 11:934-9. 2004To evaluate the feasibility and usefulness of extraperitoneal laparoscopic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection (RPLND) in the supine position after chemotherapy for advanced testicular carcinoma.
- A multicenter trial of prolonged prone ventilation in severe acute respiratory distress syndromeJordi Mancebo
Department of Intensive Care Medicine and Epidemiology, Hospital de Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:1233-9. 2006..Whether it is beneficial to administer prone ventilation early, and for longer periods of time, is unknown...
- Cardiovascular function in pregnancy: effects of postureR Del Bene
Cardiovascular Echography Section, Careggi Hospital, Italy
BJOG 108:344-52. 2001..RESULTS: Cardiac output (supine position) significantly increased (28%): it reached its maximum at the second trimester, remained steadily elevated in ..
- [An transcranial Doppler ultrasonography and X-ray study of cervical vertigo patients treated by manipulation in supine position]Li Chen
Centre of Rehabilitation, Naval Convalescent Hospital of People s Liberation Army, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province 310000, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 1:262-4. 2003To observe the transcranial Doppler ultrasonography and X-ray changes of cervical vertigo patients caused by cervical instability before and after the manipulation treatment in supine position.
- Mechanisms of blood pressure and heart rate variability: an insight from low-level paraplegiaPaolo Castiglioni
Centro di Bioingegneria, Fondazione Don C Gnocchi ONLUS IRCCS, Via Capecelatro 66, 20135 Milano, Italy
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 292:R1502-9. 2007..In conclusion, the disappearance of the 10-s oscillation of heart rate and blood pressure in subjects with spinal cord lesion supports the hypothesis of the baroreflex nature of this phenomenon...
- Prone positioning improves oxygenation in post-traumatic lung injury--a prospective randomized trialGregor Voggenreiter
Department of Trauma Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, 68135 Mannheim, Germany
J Trauma 59:333-41; discussion 341-3. 2005In a prospective randomized trial the effect of prone positioning on the duration of mechanical ventilation was evaluated in multiple trauma patients and was compared with patients ventilated in supine position.
- Pulmonary perfusion in supine and prone positions: an electron-beam computed tomography studyA T Jones
Unit of Critical Care, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College School of Medicine, Royal Brompton Hospital, London SW3 6NP, United Kingdom
J Appl Physiol 90:1342-8. 2001..The influence of nongravitational factors may not be detectable if techniques that sample large tissue volumes are employed...
- Vertebral fracture assessment in supine position: comparison by using conventional semiquantitative radiography and visual radiographyIlone C Hospers
Department of Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, PO Box 30001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Radiology 251:822-8. 2009..evaluate the accuracy of vertebral fracture assessment (VFA) performed with the patient in the supine position and conventional semiquantitative radiography of the spine by using conventional visual radiography of the ..
- Patients with baseline hypoxemia demonstrate more desaturation during bronchoscopy at supine positionA N Mirci
Respir Med 96:287. 2002
- Coverage of axillary lymph nodes in supine vs. prone breast radiotherapyMichelle Alonso-Basanta
Department of Radiation Oncology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:745-51. 2009..To compare the dosimetry of target and normal tissue when tangents with the breast tissue were applied in a subset of breast cancer patients who had undergone computed tomography (CT) planning both supine and prone...
- Sigh in supine and prone position during acute respiratory distress syndromePaolo Pelosi
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche e Biologiche, Universita degli Studi dell Insubria, Ospedale di Circolo, Fondazione Macchi, Varese
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:521-7. 2003..82, p < 0.001). We conclude that adding a recruitment maneuver such as cyclical sighs during ventilation in the prone position may provide optimal lung recruitment in the early stage of ARDS...
- An updated study-level meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials on proning in ARDS and acute lung injuryFekri Abroug
ICU CHU F, Bourguiba, 1st June 1955 Str, University of Monastir, Monastir 5000, Tunisia
Crit Care 15:R6. 2011..We updated a meta-analysis on this topic...
- Enhanced vagal withdrawal during mild orthostatic stress in adolescents with chronic fatigueVegard Bruun Wyller
Department of Pediatrics, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical Center, Oslo, Norway
Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 13:67-73. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate autonomic heart rate control during mild orthostatic stress in adolescents with CFS...
- Effects of systematic prone positioning in hypoxemic acute respiratory failure: a randomized controlled trialClaude Guerin
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital de la Croix Rousse, Lyon, France
JAMA 292:2379-87. 2004..A recent trial showed that placing patients with acute lung injury in the prone position did not increase survival; however, whether those results hold true for patients with hypoxemic acute respiratory failure (ARF) is unclear...
- Effect of prone and supine position on sleep, apneas, and arousal in preterm infantsRavindra Y Bhat
Division of Asthma, Allergy, and Lung Biology, King s College London School of Medicine at Guy s King s College and St Thomas Hospitals, London, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 118:101-7. 2006....
- [Percutaneous, 2D-fluoroscopic navigated iliosacral screw placement in the supine position: technique, possibilities, and limits]D Briem
Universitäts Klinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Zentrum für Operative Medizin, Klinik und Poliklinik für Unfall, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Martinistr 52, 20246, Hamburg, Germany
Unfallchirurg 110:393-401. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the possibilities and limits of a 2D-fluoroscopic navigated procedure used for this indication...
- Supine position with alternating inflation pneumatic cuffs in video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for bilateral pneumothoraxPei Ming Huang
Department of Surgery, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:437-9. 2005
- Measurement of vertebral rotation in standing versus supine position in adolescent idiopathic scoliosisM Yazici
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Orthop 21:252-6. 2001..72 degrees and was observed to be corrected spontaneously to 39.42 degrees while the patients were in supine position (29.78% correction). Average apical rotation according to Perdriolle was 22...
- Torsional vestibulo-ocular reflex during whole-body oscillation in the upright and the supine position. I. Responses in healthy human subjectsA Schmid-Priscoveanu
Department of Neurology, Zurich University Hospital, Switzerland
Exp Brain Res 134:212-9. 2000..The subjects were oscillated in upright or supine position in complete darkness over a similarly wide range of frequencies (0.05-1...
- Is the supine position as safe and effective as the prone position for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography? A prospective randomized studyV Terruzzi
Gastrointestinal Unit, Ospedale Valduce, Como, Italy
Endoscopy 37:1211-4. 2005..The supine position, however, may be more comfortable for the patient and may facilitate airway management, and this study aimed ..
- Changes in aortic blood flow induced by passive leg raising predict fluid responsiveness in critically ill patientsA Lafanechère
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Cochin Hospital, APHP, Universite Paris Descartes, 27, rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, 75679 Paris Cedex 14, France
Crit Care 10:R132. 2006..Considering passive leg raising (PLR) as a reversible volume expansion (VE), we compared the relative abilities of PLR-induced ABF variations, LVETc and respiratory pulsed pressure variations (DeltaPP) to predict fluid responsiveness...
- Latent mobility of osteoporotic vertebral compression fracturesFergus McKiernan
Center for Bone Diseases, Department of Orthopedic Spine Surgery, Marshfield Clinic, 1000 North Oak, Marshfield, Wisconsin 54449, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 17:1479-87. 2006..To describe the property of latent mobility in osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures (VCFs) and discuss its clinical significance...
- Dosimetric and toxicity comparison between prone and supine position IMRT for endometrial cancerSushil Beriwal
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67:485-9. 2007To determine the dosimetric and toxicity differences between prone and supine position intensity-modulate radiotherapy in endometrial cancer patients treated with adjuvant radiotherapy.
- Effect of Prone Position on Ventilator-Induced Lung InjuryGuido Musch; Fiscal Year: 2013..tidal volume is used to test the hypothesis that the prone position allows for higher tidal volumes than the supine position without augmenting neutrophil activation in a pre-injured lung...
- Improving the Self-Efficacy of African American Parents in Infant Supine SleepKathryn L Moseley; Fiscal Year: 2013..African American parents are less likely than non-Hispanic White parents to place their infant to sleep in a supine position. African American infants also die of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) at rates 2-3 times greater than non-..
- Circuit Weight Training and Blood Pressure Regulation in PrehypertensionWilliam Cooke; Fiscal Year: 2007..sphygmomanometer, and the average systolic and diastolic pressures will be recorded; 2) with subjects in the supine position, muscle sympathetic nerve activity will be measured directly using the microneurography technique, and blood ..
- ORTHOSTATIC HYPOTENSION IN OLDER PERSONSJEANNE WEI; Fiscal Year: 1992..As a result of noncompliant arteries, arterial pressure rises excessively in the supine position, leading to pressure diuresis and natriuresis, with consequent slight relative hypovolemia...
- Treatment of Motor Function and Balance- A New ToolLars Oddsson; Fiscal Year: 2006..upright balance function improves after training in a 90 deg tilted visual environment with the subject in a supine position strapped to a device (freely moving on air-bearings, cf...
- AGING, GENES AND SALT SENSITIVITY IN HIGH RISK FAMILIESGregory Harshfield; Fiscal Year: 1999..regulation of the RAS on a high salt diet leading to impairment of fluid homeostasis and BP control in the supine position. This will be associated with genetic polymorphisms associated with the RAS...
- HOLOGIC QDR 4500A XRAY BONE DENSITOMETERChristine Snow; Fiscal Year: 1999..Densitometer, a state-of-the-art system that provides fast (5-30 sec), fan-beam spine/hip capability in the supine position, with over four times the throughput of the QDR-1000/W system it will replace...
- OBJECTIVE MEASUREMENT OF PRESSURE SORE RISKKathleen Baldwin; Fiscal Year: 1999..Pressure-induced, transitory circulatory impairment will be accomplished by placing the subject in the supine position in bed for 2 hours...
- Biomarkers of hyperthermia in sudden infant deathDavid Jardine; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the last 15 years, SIDS deaths have decreased following recommendations that infants be placed in the supine position for sleeping...
- POSTURAL HYPOTENSION, AUTONOMIC FUNCTION AND AGINGScott Mader; Fiscal Year: 1991..Blood will be collected in the supine position and after 5 minutes of upright posture for norepinephrine levels and blood cells...
- SLEEP CIRCADIAN RHYTHMS ACTIVITY AND THE HEARTChristian Guilleminault; Fiscal Year: 1993..This investigation will involve the roles of sleep states, sleep stages, inactivity, the supine position, and the placement of sleep in the 24-hour cycle on the occurrence of the ectopies...
- SAFE TRANSPORT OF LOW-BIRTHWEIGHT NEONATESMichael Walsh; Fiscal Year: 1993..is an immediate need for a car bed for this infant population to allow them to be transported in the prone of supine position. During a previous SBIR Phase I contract with the Department of Transportation (DOT), Hartley Associates, Inc...
- COORDINATION OF SITTING UPPaul Cordo; Fiscal Year: 2001..Neurologically normal human subjects will sit up from a supine position. In sit-ups, two-thirds of the body weight in head and trunk must be lifted, and because of this weight ..
- Circulatory Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJulian Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Detecting Endothelial Dysfunction in Renal FailureJulian Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2007..These data will form the basis of future noninvasive prognostic testing and treatment of patients at risk for ECD and can provide a means to follow treatment modalities. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Autonomic Reactivity During Sleep Position Thermal StressRakesh Sahni; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our long term goal is to develop screening tests for infants at risk for SIDS. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- NEONATAL CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE AND HEALTH AT 7-8 YEARSRakesh Sahni; Fiscal Year: 2003..Demonstration that significant changes in these variables are linked to early CHO intake would provide important evidence linking early nutritional practices and vulnerability to adult onset diseases. ..
- REGULATION OF INTRAOCULAR PRESSURE AND OCULAR BLOOD FLOWJohn Liu; Fiscal Year: 2007..New knowledge of ocular blood flow and lOP in patients would have implications for the better diagnosis and treatment of glaucoma. ..
- Causes and Consequences of Hyperkyphosis in Older WomenDeborah Kado; Fiscal Year: 2007..This cost-effective and innovative use of an existing data set is likely to produce the first systematic analyses of this common condition. ..
- Laser acceleration of protons for radiation therapyDale Litzenberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..This research will conduct the first critical step in determining if the cost can be dramatically reduced through the use of new acceleration technology. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Engineering Approach to the Ventilatory PumpALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2007..The completion of these aims will significantly enhance our fundamental understanding of the ventilatory pump function in health and disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Effects of lung water on mechanics and blood flowAngela Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Strategies Targeting Acute Exacerbation of COPDRichard Albert; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information will, at the same time, also provide information regarding the pathobiology of COPD exacerbations. ..
- Lung Perfusion Heterogeneity and Mechanisms of EdemaSusan R Hopkins; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Physiology of Respiratory Muscle MicromechanicsALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2009..The completion of these aims will significantly contribute to the fundamental understanding of mechanical signal transduction in the respiratory pump. ..
- The Effect of Pulmonary Interstitial Edema on Gas ExchangeG Prisk; Fiscal Year: 2009..3) Define and quantify the relationship between alterations in the heterogeneity of pulmonary blood flow and lung water content using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and X-ray techniques. ..
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..SA3 will compare local measurements of recruitment by PET with the global measures of recruitment by NO uptake kinetics and lung mechanics. ..
- Deposition of 0.5 to 2 Micron Aerosol in the Human LungG Prisk; Fiscal Year: 2003..5 to 1 micron). Such information will provide a much-improved basis for the assessment of exposure to small inhaled particles both in long duration spaceflight and on Earth. ..
- New Approach to Detect CP and Brain Injury by Term AgeRONALD ARIAGNO; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is essential to discover a new approach to identify brain injury early, before it will be possible to effectively investigate interventions that can improve neurological outcome of these high risk very premature infants. ..
- RESPIRATORY SYSTEM MECHANICSALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Prospective Investigation for Pulmonary Embolism Dx IIIPaul Stein; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- PROSPECTIVE INVESTIGATION OF PULMONARY EMBOLISM DX-IIPaul Stein; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) The team of investigators is strong, and has collaborated previously in successful research in PE. ..
- Effects of Sleep Fragmentation on Adult NeurogenesisDENNIS J MCGINTY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Chronic sleep fragmentation and restriction are common to these conditions. ..
- Outcomes in congenital toxoplasmic retinochoroiditisRuth Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Nursing Support: Better Infant Outcomes in Violent HomesLinda Bullock; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results of the proposed study will provide evidence regarding the effectiveness of a nursing intervention that targets vulnerable mothers and improves their infants' social, emotional, and cognitive well-being. ..
- Sleep/Wake Contiuum in Lewy Body DiseaseDonald L Bliwise; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed work will also provide important clinical insights into disease correlates and disease course across the broad spectrum of Parkinsonism. ..
- ADAPTATION OF SENESCENT MUSCLE TO EXERCISE TRAININGTodd Trappe; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Bionic Baroreflex System for Blood Pressure ControlAndre Diedrich; Fiscal Year: 2002..A Phase II study would involve studies in animals and in patients with MSA to determine the long-term efficacy of the bionic baroreflex system in improving blood pressure control...
- NEW METHOD TO IDENTIFY UNILATERAL VESTIBULAR DYSFUNCTIONRobert Peterka; Fiscal Year: 2002..Experimental results from subjects with different levels of partial unilateral vestibular loss will determine the effectiveness and reliability of the proposed new rotation test. ..
- Predictors of Agitation in the Critically IIIRUTH BURK; Fiscal Year: 2009..After identification of the risk factors and predictors of agitation, an evaluative tool can be developed to alert caretakers to the possibility of agitation, and interventions can be implemented before agitation occurs. ..
- Regional Hypoxic Pulmonary VasoconstrictionMICHAEL HLASTALA; Fiscal Year: 2006..The results of the research will provide a more detailed understanding of the local and cellular mechanisms responsible for HPVR heterogeneity and mechanisms of development of disease in the mammalian lung. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sedation Effects in Mechanically Ventilated PatientsMary Jo Grap; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- XYLITOL FOR ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA PROPHYLAXISLouis Vernacchio; Fiscal Year: 2003..A preliminary estimate of the effect size of xylitol treatment from the pilot RCT will suggest whether the effect if sufficiently large to warrant a large formal RCT to be proposed. ..
- INTERVENTIONS FOR SCI SHOULDER FUNCTION IN WHEELCHAIRSSara Mulroy; Fiscal Year: 2004..Statistical significance of the findings will be determined by repeated measures MANOVA analyses with grouping factors for SCI level and exercise/control groups. ..
- Development of a Novel Gas Embolotherapy TechniqueJOSEPH BULL; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed research is an essential first step in developing this potentially revolutionary technique. ..
- Proteome Mapping of Heart Failure in AgingMARVIN BOLUYT; Fiscal Year: 2005..Identification of proteins involved in aldosterone signaling will lead to the development of new hypotheses for future grant proposals addressing their roles in the development of heart failure in the elderly. ..
- MII to characterize reflux in Barrett's esophagusDonald Castell; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Biomarkers of Aging in the Bay Area Sleep CohortDonald Bliwise; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Preventing pressure ulcers using a new sitting conceptMohsen Makhsous; Fiscal Year: 2004..Furthermore, we will perform extensive testing to optimize user function, while maximizing safety ..
- Electrocorticographic Study of Categorical Phoneme Perception in the Human TemporEdward Chang; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SLEEP CONTROL BY THERMOSENSITIVE NEURONSDennis McGinty; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will provide a new model of interactions of NREM and REM sleep mechanisms and will contribute to the understanding of human diseases including narcolepsy and affective disorder in which NREM-REM coupling is disordered. ..
- Reducing Low-back Disorders Using a New Sitting DesignMohsen Makhsous; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Polysomnographic Assessment of Alternative TreatmentDonald Bliwise; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Immunomodulatory Effects of Mechanical VentilationWILLIAM ALTEMEIER; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- MENTORED PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWGeorge Mansoor; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will provide information that will be important if clinical trials targeting nocturnal BP are to be designed. ..
- Noninvasive Measurements of Intracranial PressureNoam Alperin; Fiscal Year: 2004..3. Quantify and demonstrate improved reproducibility of the volumetric flow rates and the resulting ICP values. ..
- Interaction torques in voluntary turning and reachingJames R Lackner; Fiscal Year: 2010..The experimental findings and analyses will provide a comprehensive evaluation of the role of feedforward predictive mechanisms in the control of reaching movements involving body rotation. ..
- Comparison of Risk Factors for SIDS and Other Sudden Unexpected Deaths in InfancyFERN HAUCK; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Ventilator-Induced Lung Injury:Mechanisms & ConsequencesScott Sinclair; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aim 3A: Document cyclical airway collapse and reopening via changes in regional ventilation distribution. Aim 3B: Validate a method to estimate appropriate PEEP level to prevent cyclical airway collapse. ..
- 3D CT Cephalometrics and Family History in Sleep ApneaReyes Enciso; Fiscal Year: 2008..The 5th year's focus will be on report and grant writing. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Prevention of Neck Injuries in Older Adults During Rear Motor Vehicle CollsionsPAUL IVANCIC; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed project will provide important research-based data that may form the basis for future safety standards and help to decrease the frequency and severity of neck injuries in older adults, thus benefiting society. ..
- Computer Surgical Simulation for Craniofacial SurgeryJames Xia; Fiscal Year: 2008..In the United States each year, a significant number of patients undergo reconstructive surgery for these types of defects and deformities. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Skin Cooling to Improve Orthostatic ToleranceCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Oxidative Stress and Vascular Function in Chronic Kidney DiseaseDavid Edwards; Fiscal Year: 2008..Understanding these mechanisms may aid in the evaluation of therapies aimed at improving vascular function in chronic kidney disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neural and non-neural modulators of skin blood flow and sweating in humansCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..e. diabetes, heart failure, etc) and non-disease (i.e. aging) conditions. ..