Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state arrived at through prolonged and strong contraction of a muscle. Studies in athletes during prolonged submaximal exercise have shown that muscle fatigue increases in almost direct proportion to the rate of muscle glycogen depletion. Muscle fatigue in short-term maximal exercise is associated with oxygen lack and an increased level of blood and muscle lactic acid, and an accompanying increase in hydrogen-ion concentration in the exercised muscle.
Publications276 found, 100 shown here
- Skeletal muscle fatigue: cellular mechanismsD G Allen
School of Medical Sciences and Bosch Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Physiol Rev 88:287-332. 2008Repeated, intense use of muscles leads to a decline in performance known as muscle fatigue. Many muscle properties change during fatigue including the action potential, extracellular and intracellular ions, and many intracellular ..
- Intracellular acidosis enhances the excitability of working muscleThomas H Pedersen
Department of Physiology, University of Aarhus, DK-8000, Denmark
Science 305:1144-7. 2004Intracellular acidification of skeletal muscles is commonly thought to contribute to muscle fatigue. However, intracellular acidosis also acts to preserve muscle excitability when muscles become depolarized, which occurs with working ..
- Lactic acid and exercise performance : culprit or friend?Simeon P Cairns
Institute of Sport and Recreation Research New Zealand, Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
Sports Med 36:279-91. 2006..accumulation of lactic acid, or in reality lactate and/or hydrogen (H+) ions, is a major cause of skeletal muscle fatigue, i.e. decline of muscle force or power output leading to impaired exercise performance...
- Muscle weakness and atrophy are associated with decreased regenerative capacity and changes in mTOR signaling in skeletal muscles of venerable (18-24-month-old) dystrophic mdx miceE Mouisel
INSERM U974 CNRS UMR 7215, 105 bd de l Hopital, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, F 75013 France
Muscle Nerve 41:809-18. 2010..Progressive muscle weakness and atrophy in mdx mouse muscle is associated with a decline in regenerative potential and changes in activation of the mTOR signaling pathway...
- Muscle-derived ROS and thiol regulation in muscle fatigueLeonardo F Ferreira
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose St, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
J Appl Physiol 104:853-60. 2008..that supports glutathione synthesis, has been shown to lessen oxidation of cellular constituents and delay muscle fatigue. In humans, NAC pretreatment improves performance of limb and respiratory muscles during fatigue protocols and ..
- Muscle tissue oxygenation, pressure, electrical, and mechanical responses during dynamic and static voluntary contractionsPernille Vedsted
Department of Physiology, National Institute of Occupational Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Appl Physiol 96:165-77. 2006..In conclusion, rTO(2) in DYN and IST were similar in spite of major differences in the MMG and EMG responses of the muscle during contraction periods. This may relate to the surprisingly lower IMP in DYN than IST...
- Effects of congestive heart failure on Ca2+ handling in skeletal muscle during fatiguePer Kristian Lunde
Institute for Experimental Medical Research, Ulleval University Hospital, N 0407 Oslo, Norway
Circ Res 98:1514-9. 2006..The fatigue-induced changes recovered rapidly. We conclude that CHF soleus fibers fatigue more rapidly than Sham fibers because of a reversible fatigue-induced decrease in myofibrillar function...
- Effect of cluster multi-diode light emitting diode therapy (LEDT) on exercise-induced skeletal muscle fatigue and skeletal muscle recovery in humansErnesto Cesar Pinto Leal Junior
Laboratory of Human Movement LMH, University of Caxias do Sul UCS, Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
Lasers Surg Med 41:572-7. 2009There are some indications that low-level laser therapy (LLLT) may delay the development of skeletal muscle fatigue during high-intensity exercise...
- Effect of low-level laser therapy (GaAs 904 nm) in skeletal muscle fatigue and biochemical markers of muscle damage in ratsErnesto Cesar Pinto Leal Junior
Section for Physiotherapy Science, Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen UiB, Kalfarveien 31, 5020 Bergen, Norway
Eur J Appl Physiol 108:1083-8. 2010..We conclude that pre-exercise irradiation with a laser dose of 1.0 J and 904 nm wavelength significantly delays muscle fatigue and decreases post-exercise blood lactate and CK in this rat model.
- Sarcoplasmic reticulum function and muscle contractile character following fatiguing exercise in humansC A Hill
School of Exercise and Sport Science, University of Sydney, Sydney 2141, Australia
J Physiol 531:871-8. 2001..05) with a decreased ratio of torques generated at 20:50 Hz, indicating an involvement in low frequency fatigue; however, no correlations between the muscle relaxation times or rates of change of torque and calcium uptake were observed...
- Effects of trunk muscle fatigue and load timing on spinal responses during sudden hand loadingDiane E Grondin
Department of Kinesiology, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 19:e237-45. 2009..was to investigate the responses of the spine during sudden loading in the presence of back and abdominal muscle fatigue, with a primary focus on the implications for spinal stability...
- Free radicals in exhaustive physical exercise: mechanism of production, and protection by antioxidantsJ Vina
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Valencia, Spain
IUBMB Life 50:271-7. 2000..Knowledge of the mechanism of free-radical formation in exercise is important because it will be useful to prevent oxidative stress and damage associated with exhaustive physical activity...
- Effect of short-term creatine supplementation on markers of skeletal muscle damage after strenuous contractile activityReinaldo Abunasser Bassit
Departamento de Fisiologia e Biofisica, Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas I, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Lineu Prestes, 1524, Sala 105, Butantan, Sao Paulo, SP, 05508 900, Brazil
Eur J Appl Physiol 108:945-55. 2010..CrS presented a protective effect on muscle injury induced by strenuous contractile activities...
- Effect of low-level laser (Ga-Al-As 655 nm) on skeletal muscle fatigue induced by electrical stimulation in ratsRodrigo Alvaro B Lopes-Martins
Department of Pharmacology, Laboratory of Biochemical Pharmacology of Free Radicals, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Appl Physiol 101:283-8. 2006..5 J/cm2 LLLT group and the control group. We conclude that LLLT doses of 0.5 and 1.0 J/cm2 can prevent development of muscular fatigue in rats during repeated tetanic contractions...
- Fatigue analysis of the surface EMG signal in isometric constant force contractions using the averaged instantaneous frequencyA Georgakis
Department of Communication Systems, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YR, U K
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 50:262-5. 2003..proposed as an alternative method for the frequency analysis of surface electromyography (EMG) in the study of muscle fatigue during sustained, isometric muscle contractions...
- Chloride conductance in the transverse tubular system of rat skeletal muscle fibres: importance in excitation-contraction coupling and fatigueT L Dutka
Department of Zoology, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Physiol 586:875-87. 2008..These findings show that the t-system chloride conductance plays a vital role during normal activity by countering the effects of K(+) accumulation in the t-system and maintaining muscle excitability...
- Effect of 655-nm low-level laser therapy on exercise-induced skeletal muscle fatigue in humansErnesto Cesar Pinto Leal Junior
Laboratory of Human Movement, University of Caxias do Sul, Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
Photomed Laser Surg 26:419-24. 2008To investigate if development of skeletal muscle fatigue during repeated voluntary biceps contractions could be attenuated by low-level laser therapy (LLLT).
- Influence of dietary creatine supplementation on muscle phosphocreatine kinetics during knee-extensor exercise in humansAndrew M Jones
University of Exeter, Exeter, Devon EX1 2 LU, UK
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R1078-87. 2009..92) and the heavy on-transient (r = 0.71). These data demonstrate, for the first time in humans, that an increase in muscle [PCr] results in a slowing of [PCr] dynamics in exercise and subsequent recovery...
- Limited oxygen diffusion accelerates fatigue development in mouse skeletal muscleShi-Jin Zhang
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Physiol 572:551-9. 2006..We have now employed this difference to study mechanisms of skeletal muscle fatigue. Isolated whole soleus and extensor digitorum longus (EDL) muscles were fatigued by repeated tetanic ..
- Protective role of extracellular chloride in fatigue of isolated mammalian skeletal muscleSimeon P Cairns
Division of Sport and Recreation, Auckland Univ of Technology, Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1020, New Zealand
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 287:C762-70. 2004..This phenomenon possibly involves attenuation of the depolarization caused by stimulation- or exercise-induced run-down of the transsarcolemmal K(+) gradient...
- Opioid-mediated muscle afferents inhibit central motor drive and limit peripheral muscle fatigue development in humansMarkus Amann
Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Physiol 587:271-83. 2009..from exercising locomotor muscles results in an overshoot in CMD and power output normally chosen by the athlete, thereby causing a greater rate of accumulation of muscle metabolites and excessive development of peripheral muscle fatigue.
- Central and peripheral contributions to fatigue in relation to level of activation during repeated maximal voluntary isometric plantar flexionsMaria M Nordlund
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, 114 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Appl Physiol 96:218-25. 2004....
- Normal hypertrophy accompanied by phosphoryation and activation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha1 following overload in LKB1 knockout miceSean L McGee
Functional Molecular Biology Lab, Division of Molecular Physiology, University of Dundee, Sir James Black Centre, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK
J Physiol 586:1731-41. 2008....
- Evidence for neuromuscular fatigue during high-intensity cycling in warm, humid conditionsD Kay
Human Movement Studies Unit and Human Performance Laboratory, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst NSW 2795, Australia
Eur J Appl Physiol 84:115-21. 2001....
- The magnitude of the effect of calf muscles fatigue on postural control during bipedal quiet standing with vision depends on the eye-visual target distanceNicolas Vuillerme
Laboratoire de Modelisation des Activites Sportives, Universite de Savoie, Domaine Universitaire, 73 376 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex, France
Gait Posture 24:169-72. 2006....
- Postural sway under muscle vibration and muscle fatigue in humansNicolas Vuillerme
Laboratoire Sport et Performance Motrice, Université Joseph Fourier Grenoble1, Grenoble
Neurosci Lett 333:131-5. 2002..the effect of ankle muscle vibration on the regulation of postural sway in bipedal stance following ankle muscle fatigue. Center of foot pressure displacements were recorded using a force platform...
- Muscle fatigue during high-intensity exercise in childrenSebastien Ratel
Laboratory of Exercise Biology BAPS EA 3533, Faculty of Sports Sciences, University of Blaise Pascal, Clermont Ferrand, France
Sports Med 36:1031-65. 2006..From a clinical point of view, muscle fatigue profiles are different between healthy children and children with muscle and metabolic diseases...
- Genetic CLC-1 chloride channel deficiency modifies diaphragm muscle isometric contractile propertiesErik van Lunteren
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 155:220-6. 2007..These findings indicate that genetic CLC-1 deficiency not only affects muscle relaxation (myotonia) but also modulates diaphragm performance during the contractile phase of the contraction-relaxation cycle...
- Inhibition of shortening velocity of skinned skeletal muscle fibers in conditions that mimic fatigueChristina Karatzaferi
Institute of Human Performance and Rehabilitation, Center for Research and Technology Thessaly, University of Thessaly, Trikala, Greece
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R948-55. 2008The mechanisms responsible for the inhibition of shortening velocity that occurs during muscle fatigue have not been completely elucidated...
- Low-intensity laser irradiation improves the mitochondrial dysfunction of C2C12 induced by electrical stimulationXiaoyang Xu
Laboratory of Laser Sports Medicine, College of Sports Sciences, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, China
Photomed Laser Surg 26:197-202. 2008..Background Data: Many other studies in the past demonstrated that LIL had a cytoprotective effect, and a recent study also found that LIL could reduce muscular fatigue during tetanic contractions in rats...
- The cross-bridge cycle and skeletal muscle fatigueRobert H Fitts
Dept of Biological Sciences, Wehr Life Sciences Bldg, Marquette Univ, P O Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201 1881, USA
J Appl Physiol 104:551-8. 2008..In vitro, reactive oxygen species reduce myofibrillar Ca2+ sensitivity; however, the importance of this mechanism during in vivo exercise is unknown...
- Arterial oxygenation influences central motor output and exercise performance via effects on peripheral locomotor muscle fatigue in humansMarkus Amann
The John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, 4245 Medical Science Center, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Physiol 575:937-52. 2006..Changing arterial oxygen content (C(aO(2))) has a highly sensitive influence on the rate of peripheral locomotor muscle fatigue development...
- Beneficial effects of voluntary wheel running on the properties of dystrophic mouse muscleA Hayes
Muscle and Cell Physiology Laboratory, Department of Physiology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Appl Physiol 80:670-9. 1996..5 km/day). Despite this, running increased the force output of the plantaris muscle (approximately 50%). Taken together, the results showed that exercise can have beneficial effects on dystrophic skeletal muscles...
- Age-associated changes in the innervation of muscle fibers and changes in the mechanical properties of motor unitsA R Luff
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 854:92-101. 1998....
- Free radicals and muscle fatigue: Of ROS, canaries, and the IOCMichael B Reid
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 44:169-79. 2008..in humans, quadrupeds, and isolated muscle preparations indicate that antioxidant pretreatment can delay muscle fatigue. In humans, this phenomenon is best defined for N-acetylcysteine (NAC), a reduced thiol donor that supports ..
- Effects of aerobic and strength exercise on motor fatigue in men and women with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trialJukka Surakka
National Public Health Institute, Department of Health and Functional Capacity, Turku, Finland
Clin Rehabil 18:737-46. 2004..To investigate the effects of aerobic and strength exercise on motor fatigue of knee flexor and extensor muscles in subjects with multiple sclerosis (MS)...
- A gene for speed: contractile properties of isolated whole EDL muscle from an alpha-actinin-3 knockout mouseS Chan
School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295:C897-904. 2008..These changes in the contractile properties of fast-twitch skeletal muscle from alpha-actinin-3-deficient individuals would be detrimental to optimal sprint and power performance, but beneficial for endurance performance...
- Hypoxia/fatigue-induced degradation of troponin I and troponin C: new insights into physiologic muscle fatigueM de Paula Brotto
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pflugers Arch 442:738-44. 2001....
- Low cell pH depresses peak power in rat skeletal muscle fibres at both 30 degrees C and 15 degrees C: implications for muscle fatigueS T Knuth
Marquette University, Department of Biological Sciences, PO Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881, USA
J Physiol 575:887-99. 2006Historically, an increase in intracellular H(+) (decrease in cell pH) was thought to contribute to muscle fatigue by direct inhibition of the cross-bridge leading to a reduction in velocity and force...
- Spinal and supraspinal factors in human muscle fatigueS C Gandevia
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Prince of Wales Hospital and University of New South Wales, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Physiol Rev 81:1725-89. 2001b>Muscle fatigue is an exercise-induced reduction in maximal voluntary muscle force...
- Reactive oxygen species reduce myofibrillar Ca2+ sensitivity in fatiguing mouse skeletal muscle at 37 degrees CTerence R Moopanar
Institute for Biomedical Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, University of Sydney F13, NSW 2006, Australia
J Physiol 564:189-99. 2005The mechanisms of muscle fatigue were studied in small muscle bundles and single fibres isolated from the flexor digitorum brevis of the mouse...
- Age-related muscle fatigue after a low-force fatiguing contraction is explained by central fatigueTejin Yoon
Exercise Science Program, Department of Physical Therapy, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Muscle Nerve 37:457-66. 2008..Aging increases: (1) fatigue within the central nervous system immediately after a low-force fatiguing contraction, and (2) the potential for large neural adaptations during neuromuscular rehabilitation in old adults...
- Do multiple ionic interactions contribute to skeletal muscle fatigue?S P Cairns
Institute of Sport and Recreation Research New Zealand, Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, AUT University, Auckland 1020, New Zealand
J Physiol 586:4039-54. 2008..We hypothesize that during high-intensity exercise a rundown of the transsarcolemmal K(+) gradient is the dominant cellular process around which interactions with other ions and metabolites occur, thereby contributing to fatigue...
- Defective maintenance of intracellular Ca2+ homeostasis is linked to increased muscle fatigability in the MG29 null miceMarco A P Brotto
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Cell Res 14:373-8. 2004..skeletal muscle resulted in abnormality of the triad junction structure, and also increased susceptibility to muscle fatigue. To elucidate the basis of these effects, we investigated the properties of Ca2+-uptake and -release in toxin-..
- Muscle fatigue: lactic acid or inorganic phosphate the major cause?Hakan Westerblad
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
News Physiol Sci 17:17-21. 2002..acidosis due mainly to lactic acid accumulation has been regarded as the most important cause of skeletal muscle fatigue. Recent studies on mammalian muscle, however, show little direct effect of acidosis on muscle function at ..
- Effects of isokinetic ankle fatigue on the maintenance of balance and postural limitsJames A Yaggie
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 83:224-8. 2002..To quantify changes in balance parameters and ranges of postural control at the ankle after isokinetic fatigue...
- Influence of back muscle fatigue on lumbar reflex adaptation during sudden external force perturbationsArnaud Dupeyron
EA 2991 Motor Efficiency and Deficiency Laboratory, Faculty of Sport Science, Montpellier, France
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 20:426-32. 2010..after heavy external force perturbation applied to the trunk in the sagittal plane before and after back muscle fatigue, in expected and unexpected conditions...
- The surface mechanomyogram as a tool to describe the influence of fatigue on biceps brachii motor unit activation strategy. Historical basis and novel evidenceClaudio Orizio
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Biotecnologie, Sezione di Fisiologia Umana, Universita di Brescia, Italy
Eur J Appl Physiol 90:326-36. 2003..MVC relationships at fatigue seems to be related to the impossibility of recruiting fast, but more fatigable MUs, and to the lowering of the global MUs firing during the short isometric force ramp investigated...
- Fatigue of paralyzed and control thenar muscles induced by variable or constant frequency stimulationChristine K Thomas
The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, Departments of Neurological Surgery, Physiology and Biophysics, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Neurophysiol 89:2055-64. 2003..The variations in stimulation frequency, pulse pattern, and pulse number used in this study therefore had little influence on thenar muscle fatigue in control subjects or in spinal cord-injured subjects with chronic paralysis.
- Effects of postural muscle fatigue on the relation between segmental posture and movementE Chabran
Laboratoire de Physiologie du Mouvement INSERM U483, Université Paris XI Bât 441, 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 12:67-79. 2002..These data indicate that postural fatigue induced by a low-level isometric contraction has no effect on voluntary movement and requires no dramatic adaptation in postural control...
- MMG and EMG responses during fatiguing isokinetic muscle contractions at different velocitiesSharon R Perry-Rana
School of Recreation and Sport Sciences, College of Health and Human Services, Ohio University, Grover E175, Athens, OH 45701, USA
Muscle Nerve 26:367-73. 2002..Therefore, MMG amplitude may be clinically useful for detecting abnormal force contributions of individual muscles during dynamic contractions, and determining whether various treatments are successful at correcting such abnormalities...
- A ubiquitous wearable unit for controlling muscular fatigue during cycling exercise sessionsTohru Kiryu
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Center for Transdisciplinary Research, Niigata University, Nishi ku, Niigata, 950 2181 Japan
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:4814-7. 2007..It needs more detailed control for muscular activity...
- Effects of strength training on muscle fatigue mapping from surface EMG and blood metabolitesMikel Izquierdo
Studies, Research and Sport Medicine Center, Government of Navarra, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:303-11. 2011....
- No effect of antioxidant supplementation in triathletes on maximal oxygen uptake, 31P-NMRS detected muscle energy metabolism and muscle fatigueA N Nielsen
The Copenhagen Muscle Research Center, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Genetics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Sports Med 20:154-8. 1999..nuclear magnetic response spectroscopy (31P-NMRS) detected muscle energy metabolism during plantar flexion and muscle fatigue evaluated by 1-s electrical stimulation at low (10 Hz) and high (50 Hz) frequency...
- Force output during fatigue with progressively increasing stimulation frequencyL Griffin
Department of Kinesiology Health Education, 1 University Station, D3700, Bellmont 222, University of Texas, Austin, TX 78712, USA
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 18:426-33. 2008..Thus during sustained evoked contractions with stimulation frequencies within the physiological range, frequencies can vary significantly without changing the overall force-time integral...
- Fatigue and recovery after high-intensity exercise. Part II: Recovery interventionsG Lattier
Faculty of Sport Sciences University of Burgundy, 21078 Dijon Cedex, France
Int J Sports Med 25:509-15. 2004..It can also be concluded that the recovery of twitch contractile properties does not necessarily follow that of maximal muscle strength...
- Muscle fatigue degrades force sense at the ankle jointNicolas Vuillerme
Laboratoire TIMC IMAG, UMR UJF CNRS 5525, Grenoble, France
Gait Posture 28:521-4. 2008To investigate the effects of muscle fatigue on force sense at the ankle joint, 10 young healthy adults were asked to perform an isometric contra-lateral force ankle-matching task in two experimental conditions of: (1) no-fatigue and (2) ..
- Dissociation between mechanical and myoelectrical manifestation of muscle fatigue in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisM Sanjak
Department of Neurology, H 6 577 ALS Clinical Research Center, Medical School, University of Wisconsin Madison, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53799, USA
Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord 5:26-32. 2004..005) in the two muscle groups. This dissociation between the mechanical and myoelectrical manifestation of muscle fatigue in ALS indicates that a reduction in muscle fiber conduction velocity (MFCV) may be a contributing peripheral ..
- Tongue-placed tactile biofeedback suppresses the deleterious effects of muscle fatigue on joint position sense at the ankleNicolas Vuillerme
Laboratoire TIMC IMAG, UMR UJF CNRS 5525, Faculte de Medecine, 38706 La Tronche Cedex, France
Exp Brain Res 183:235-40. 2007Whereas the acuity of the position sense at the ankle can be disturbed by muscle fatigue, it recently also has been shown to be improved, under normal ankle neuromuscular state, through the use of an artificial tongue-placed tactile ..
- Comparison of electrical and magnetic stimulations to assess quadriceps muscle functionSamuel Verges
Joseph Fourier University, France
J Appl Physiol 106:701-10. 2009..46-0.82, P = 0.001-0.03). We conclude that ENS and MNS provide similar quadriceps muscle function assessment, while Fpaired(10:100) is a better index than T2(10:100) of low- to high-frequency fatigue of the quadriceps in vivo...
- Effect of recovery modality on 4-hour repeated treadmill running performance and changes in physiological variablesV Coffey
Centre for Sport and Exercise Science, Waikato Institute of Technology, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Sci Med Sport 7:1-10. 2004....
- Effect of massage on blood flow and muscle fatigue following isometric lumbar exerciseHidetoshi Mori
Department of Acupuncture, Tsukuba College of Technology, Ibaragi, Japan
Med Sci Monit 10:CR173-8. 2004..the influence of massage on the skin and the intramuscular circulatory changes associated with localized muscle fatigue. MATERIAL/METHODS: Twenty-nine healthy male subjects participated in two experimental sessions (massage and ..
- Fatigue-induced adaptive changes of anticipatory postural adjustmentsAdam J Strang
Department of Psychology, Miami University, 111 Psychology Building, Oxford, OH 45056, USA
Exp Brain Res 178:49-61. 2007..b>Muscle fatigue was generated using a dead-lift exercise performed to exhaustion...
- Posture-movement changes following repetitive motion-induced shoulder muscle fatigueJason R Fuller
Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education, McGill University, 475 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 19:1043-52. 2009..3+/-4.4 degrees. These changes were accompanied by a lateral shift of the body's center of mass towards the non-reaching arm. These findings suggest a compensatory strategy to decrease the load on the fatigued shoulder musculature...
- Effects of recovery modes after knee extensor muscles eccentric contractionsVincent Martin
INSERM ERIT M 0207 Motricite Plasticite Laboratory, Faculty of Sports Sciences, University of Bourgogne, Dijon, France
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:1907-15. 2004..This study aimed to evaluate the benefit of using low-intensity running or electromyostimulation (EMS) to hasten the recovery process from eccentric-contraction-induced injury...
- Muscle fatigue decreases short-interval intracortical inhibition after exhaustive intermittent tasksAtsuo Maruyama
Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, UK
Clin Neurophysiol 117:864-70. 2006..Central fatigue is the inability of central commands to recruit maximum evocable muscle force during voluntary contraction. Here, we investigate how fatigue affects the inhibitory circuits of the motor cortex...
- Effectiveness of post-match recovery strategies in rugby playersN D Gill
Waikato Institute of Technology, School of Sport and Exercise Science, Hamilton, New Zealand
Br J Sports Med 40:260-3. 2006..To examine the effectiveness of four interventions on the rate and magnitude of muscle damage recovery, as measured by creatine kinase (CK)...
- EMG analysis of shoulder muscle fatigue during resisted isometric shoulder elevationStephen Minning
University of Kentucky, 900 South Limestone Street, Lexington, KY 40536, United States
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 17:153-9. 2007..Shoulder muscle fatigue has been associated with alterations in joint mechanics and possibly contributes to shoulder dysfunction...
- Effects of shoulder muscle fatigue caused by repetitive overhead activities on scapulothoracic and glenohumeral kinematicsD David Ebaugh
Programs in Rehabilitation Sciences, Rehabilitation Sciences Biomechanics Lab, Drexel University, 245 North, 15th Street, MS 502, Philadelphia, PA 19102 1192, USA
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 16:224-35. 2006The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of shoulder muscle fatigue on three dimensional scapulothoracic and glenohumeral kinematics. Twenty healthy subjects participated in this study...
- Effect of ADP on slow-twitch muscle fibres of the rat: implications for muscle fatigueW A Macdonald
Department of Zoology, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Victoria, 3083, Australia
J Physiol 573:187-98. 2006..This is in contrast to the marked effects of ADP on force responses in fast-twitch muscle fibres and may contribute to the fatigue-resistant nature of slow-twitch muscle fibres...
- An exploration of the association between frailty and muscle fatigueOlga Theou
Graduate Program in Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 33:651-65. 2008..Frailty is increasingly recognized as a geriatric syndrome that shares common biomedical determinants with rapid muscle fatigue: aging, disease, inflammation, physical inactivity, malnutrition, hormone deficiencies, subjective fatigue, ..
- Muscle fatigue examined at different temperatures in experiments on intact mammalian (rat) muscle fibersH Roots
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1TD, UK
J Appl Physiol 106:378-84. 2009..contractions; the aim was to characterize the effect of shortening and of temperature on the initial phase of muscle fatigue. Short tetanic contractions were elicited at a control repetition rate of 1/60 s, and fatigue was induced by ..
- L-carnitine supplementation attenuates intermittent hypoxia-induced oxidative stress and delays muscle fatigue in ratsArkadeb Dutta
Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences, Lucknow Road, Timarpur, Delhi 110 054, India
Exp Physiol 93:1139-46. 2008..From these studies, we conclude that L-CAR delays muscle fatigue by the reducing free radical-induced oxidative damage of IH exposure.
- Dynamics of indirect symptoms of skeletal muscle damage after stretch-shortening exerciseAlbertas Skurvydas
Laboratory of Human Motorics, Lithuanian Academy of Physical Education, Sporto 6, LT 44221 Kaunas, Lithuania
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 16:629-36. 2006....
- Do ankle foot orthoses modify postural control during bipedal quiet standing following a localized fatigue of the ankle muscles?N Vuillerme
Laboratoire TIMC IMAG, UMR CNRS 5525, Equipe AFIRM, Grenoble, France
Int J Sports Med 28:243-6. 2007..Altogether, the present findings suggested that the AFO allowed the subjects to limit the postural perturbation induced by a localized fatigue of the ankle muscles during bipedal quiet standing...
- Effects of postural disturbances with fatigued triceps surae muscles or with 20% additional body weightTorbjorn Ledin
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Linkoping University Hospital, S 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Gait Posture 19:184-93. 2004..Postural control was substantially affected both by the additional body weight, and by muscle fatigue in the triceps surae muscles...
- Postural adaptation to unilateral hip muscle fatigue during human bipedal standingNicolas Vuillerme
Laboratoire TIMC IMAG, UMR UJF CNRS 5525, Grenoble, France
Gait Posture 30:122-5. 2009Although previous studies have investigated the effects of bilateral muscle fatigue on bipedal postural control, whether and how the central nervous system could adapt to unilateral muscle fatigue for controlling bipedal stance remains to ..
- Muscle fatigue: the role of intracellular calcium storesDavid G Allen
Department of Physiology, University of Sydney F13, NSW 2006, Australia
Can J Appl Physiol 27:83-96. 2002..are used repeatedly and intensively and a variety of intracellular mechanisms appear to contribute to this muscle fatigue. Intracellular calcium release declines during fatigue and has been shown to contribute to the reduction in ..
- Posture, muscle activity and muscle fatigue in prolonged VDT work at different screen height settingsJan Seghers
Laboratory of Ergonomics and Occupational Biomechanics, Dept of Kinesiology, Catholic University of Leuven, Tervuursevest 101, 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Ergonomics 46:714-30. 2003..min) VDT work at four different screen heights on head-neck posture, muscle activity and the development of muscle fatigue. The results show that lowering screen height, starting from 15 cm above the baseline (i.e...
- Denervation enhances the physiological effects of the K(ATP) channel during fatigue in EDL and soleus muscleW Matar
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8M5
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 281:R56-65. 2001..We therefore suggest that the physiological effects of the K(ATP) channel are enhanced after denervation...
- Fatigue-induced early onset of anticipatory postural adjustments in non-fatigued muscles: support for a centrally mediated adaptationAdam J Strang
Department of Psychology, Miami University, 305 Psychology Building, Oxford, OH, 45056, USA
Exp Brain Res 197:245-54. 2009b>Muscle fatigue has been shown to result in early onset of anticipatory postural adjustments (APAs) relative to those produced in a non-fatigued state...
- Effect of a selected amino acid mixture on the recovery from muscle fatigue during and after eccentric contraction exercise trainingMasaaki Sugita
Department of Health and Physical Education, Mie University, Tsu City 514-8507, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67:372-5. 2003The effect of an amino acid mixture on the recovery from muscle fatigue after eccentric exercise (ECEX) training was examined in twenty-two male college students. The administration of 5...
- Effect of the lengthening of the protocol on the reliability of muscle fatigue indicatorsL Bosquet
Universite de Poitiers, Faculte des Sciences du Sport, Poitiers, France
Int J Sports Med 31:82-8. 2010..b>Muscle fatigue was determined after 20, 30, 40 and 50 repetitions by the fatigue index, the percent decrease in performance ..
- Fatigue-induced reductions of torque and shortening velocity are muscle dependentArthur J Cheng
School of Kinesiology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Med Sci Sports Exerc 42:1651-9. 2010..To better understand fatigue-related changes in shortening velocity in different muscles, we compared the fatigue response of two muscles in humans with different physiological properties using the same criterion for task failure...
- Assessment of the reliability of high-intensity quadriceps femoris muscle fatigueD M Pincivero
Human Performance and Fatigue Laboratory, Department of Physical Therapy, Eastern Washington University, Cheney, WA 99004, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:334-8. 2001The purpose of this study was to evaluate test-retest reliability of two different measures of isokinetic quadriceps muscle fatigue.
- Central and peripheral contributions to neuromuscular fatigue induced by a 24-h treadmill runVincent Martin
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 902, University of Evry Val d Essonne, Evry, France
J Appl Physiol 108:1224-33. 2010..Neural drive reduction may have contributed to the relative preservation of peripheral function and also affected the evolution of the running speed during the 24TR...
- Effect of expiratory resistive loading on inspiratory and expiratory muscle fatigueBryan J Taylor
Centre for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 3PH, UK
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 166:164-74. 2009..We asked whether ERL elicits inspiratory as well as expiratory muscle fatigue. On four separate days, seven male subjects underwent ERL to task failure...
- Causes of fatigue in slow-twitch rat skeletal muscle during dynamic activityMorten Munkvik
Institute for Experimental Medical Research, Oslo Univ Hospital, Ulleval, Kirkeveien 166, N 0407 Oslo, Norway
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 297:R900-10. 2009Skeletal muscle fatigue is most often studied in vitro at room temperature and is classically defined as a decline in maximum force production or power output, exclusively linked to repeated isometric contractions...
- Changes in calpain activity, muscle structure, and function after eccentric exerciseTruls Raastad
Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, Oslo, Norway
Med Sci Sports Exerc 42:86-95. 2010..The aim of this study was to investigate changes in muscle function, muscle structure, and calpain activity after high-force eccentric exercise...
- Clenbuterol reduces soleus muscle fatigue during disuse in aged ratsK D Chen
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
Muscle Nerve 24:211-22. 2001..We conclude that low levels of clenbuterol reduce muscle fatigue in slow muscles during disuse and this beta-agonist may also have therapeutic value for reducing fatigue in ..
- Role of mitochondrial ATP-sensitive potassium channels on fatigue in mouse muscle fibersMaria C Garcia
Department of Pharmacology, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados del I P N, 07360 Mexico City, DF, Mexico
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 385:28-32. 2009The role of mitochondrial K(ATP) (mitoK(ATP)) channels on muscle fatigue was assessed in adult mouse skeletal muscle bundles. Muscle fatigue was produced by eliciting short repetitive tetani...
- Effects of muscle fatigue on gait characteristics under single and dual-task conditions in young and older adultsUrs Granacher
Institute of Exercise and Health Sciences, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
J Neuroeng Rehabil 7:56. 2010b>Muscle fatigue and dual-task walking (e.g., concurrent performance of a cognitive interference (CI) while walking) represent major fall risk factors in young and older adults...
- Contractile properties of in situ perfused skeletal muscles from rats with congestive heart failurePer Kristian Lunde
Institute for Experimental Medical Research, University of Oslo, Ullevaal University Hospital, N-0407 Oslo, Norway
J Physiol 540:571-80. 2002..Thus, slow-twitch muscle is severely affected in CHF by slower than normal relaxation and significantly reduced fatigue resistance, which may explain the sensation of both muscle stiffness and fatigue in CHF patients...
- Muscle mechanical characteristics in fatigue and recovery from a marathon race in highly trained runnersKim Petersen
Institute of Sports Science and Clinical Biomechanics, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, 5230, Odense M, Denmark
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:385-96. 2007....
- The response to paired motor cortical stimuli is abolished at a spinal level during human muscle fatigueChris J McNeil
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, University of New South Wales, Barker Street, Randwick, New South Wales 2031, Australia
J Physiol 587:5601-12. 2009..The spinal mechanisms exposed here may contribute to the development of central fatigue in human muscles...
- Central and peripheral contributions to fatigue after electrostimulation trainingJulien Gondin
Motricity Plasticity Laboratory, Faculty of Sport Sciences, University of Burgundy, Dijon Cedex, France
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:1147-56. 2006..We examined the effect of 4 (WK4) and 8 wk (WK8) of neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) training on both endurance time and mechanisms contributing to task failure...
- The effects of varying time under tension and volume load on acute neuromuscular responsesQuan T Tran
University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Eur J Appl Physiol 98:402-10. 2006....
- Contribution of central and peripheral factors to residual fatigue in Guillain-Barré syndromeMarcel P J Garssen
Department of Neurology, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Muscle Nerve 36:93-9. 2007..This study thus provides further insight into the factors contributing to residual fatigue in GBS patients...
- Fatigue induced changes in phasic muscle activation patterns for fast elbow flexion movementsDaniel M Corcos
School of Kinesiology, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60680, USA
Exp Brain Res 142:1-12. 2002The present study investigated how muscle fatigue influences single degree-of-freedom elbow flexion movements and their associated patterns of phasic muscle activation...
- Time to task failure varies with the gain of the feedback signal for women, but not for menCarol J Mottram
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0354, USA
Exp Brain Res 174:575-87. 2006....
- An isokinetic investigation of contractile mode's effect on the elbow flexorsJ F Caruso
Department of Health Ecology, University of Nevada, Reno 89557, USA
J Strength Cond Res 15:69-74. 2001..05) greater before and after decrements following exercise for the biceps brachii and brachioradialis. Greater exercise efficiency with less motor unit recruitment and fatigue results from eccentric exercise...
- Neural Mechanisms in Muscle FatigueROGER ENOKA; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Skeletal Muscle. Ca Release Control Inside the Sarcoplasmic Reticulum.Eduardo Rios; Fiscal Year: 2010..Signals also decay during fatigue -their decay actually causing fatigue-- and in old age. In muscle fatigue, the stores are depleted...
- Treatment of SLE with N-acetylcysteineAndras Perl; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, oral NAC has been found to improve muscle fatigue (5-7) which is reported to be the most disabling symptom in 53% of patients with SLE (8)...
- A Joint-Coupled Controlled-Brake Orthosis System for Hybrid FES Gait RestorationMichael Goldfarb; Fiscal Year: 2010..Due to the potential of collapse (from muscle fatigue) and the need to guide uncontrolled degrees of freedom, hybrid systems appear to offer the greatest promise ..
- Electrical Stimulation for Hemiplegic Shoulder PainJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2010..ES is delivered at a relatively high frequency between 20 and 35 Hz, which can lead to more rapid onset of muscle fatigue.7 Third, due to stimulation-induced pain and muscle fatigue, an escalating stimulation schedule is needed...
- Electrical Stimulation for Hemiplegic Shoulder PainJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2009..ES is delivered at a relatively high frequency between 20 and 35 Hz, which can lead to more rapid onset of muscle fatigue.7 Third, due to stimulation-induced pain and muscle fatigue, an escalating stimulation schedule is needed...
- Skeletal Muscle Fatigue in Older AdultsJane Kent Braun; Fiscal Year: 2006The overall goal is to determine the magnitude and mechanisms of age-related changes in muscle fatigue (decrease in maximal force-generating capacity, MVC)...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF THERMOGENESISLESLIE PAUL KOZAK; Fiscal Year: 2010..that is important for the achieving maximal metabolic efficiency, which when inactivated causes extreme muscle fatigue. We found major reductions of Slc25a25 gene expression in skeletal muscle biopsies from obese and type 2 ..
- TESTOSTERONE EFFECTS ON DIAPHRAGM MUSCLE FATIGUECesar Blanco; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identical AAS treatment of male rats had no effect on DIA muscle fatigue using the same stimulation paradigm...
- TRANSMISSION OF RESPIRATORY DRIVE TO MOTONEURONSJACK FELDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Pathologies of breathing such as sleep apnea, central alveolar hyperventilation, central inspiratory muscle fatigue and (perhaps) sudden infant death syndrome result from failure to generate adequate respiratory muscle ..
- Skeletal Muscle. Ca Release Control Inside the Sarcoplasmic Reticulum.Eduardo Rios; Fiscal Year: 2009..Signals also decay during fatigue -their decay actually causing fatigue-- and in old age. In muscle fatigue, the stores are depleted...
- Role of MG29 in E-C Coupling of Striated MusclesJianjie Ma; Fiscal Year: 2006..A distinct phenotype of mg29(-/-) mice is their increased susceptibility to muscle fatigue, which may be linked to an altered Ca signaling in the mutant muscle...
- NURSING MODEL--RESPIRATORY MUSCLE STRENGTH IN COPDJanet Larson; Fiscal Year: 2001..functional strength of the inspiratory muscles which places them at risk for the development of respiratory muscle fatigue and ventilatory failure and contributes to sensations of dyspnea and ultimately to a decrease in functional ..
- Molecular Physiology of CLC Chloride ChannelsTsung Yu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Physiologically, the inhibition of CLC-1's common-gating by ATP is critical for overcoming muscle fatigue. The slow/common-gating mechanism is also pathologically important because mutations that disrupt the common- ..
- Molecular Physiology of CLC Chloride ChannelsTsung Yu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Physiologically, the inhibition of CLC-1's common-gating by ATP is critical for overcoming muscle fatigue. The slow/common-gating mechanism is also pathologically important because mutations that disrupt the common- ..
- Locomotion Control by Lumbar Spinal Cord StimulationChangfeng Tai; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Muscle fatigue is a major problem in the peripheral neuromuscular stimulation...
- PHYSIOLOGIC BASIS OF MUSCLE FUNCTIONAL MRIRONALD MEYER; Fiscal Year: 2005..involvement in various fatigue syndromes: first, is the intensity of the BOLD response in motor cortical areas quantitatively dependent on force development, and second, how is this central response altered by peripheral muscle fatigue?
- SINGLE CHANNEL HYBRID FES GAIT SYSTEMWilliam Durfee; Fiscal Year: 2007..joints and an orthosis that can be controlled and can provide anti-gravity support to reduce stimulated muscle fatigue. Because the ESO approach is new, technical feasibility must be demonstrated before undertaking a ..
- RESPIRATORY SYSTEM MECHANICSALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2002..Respiratory insufficiency is the usual cause of death in many primary neuromuscular disorders. Respiratory muscle fatigue is believed to be a major factor in hypercarbic respiratory failure associated with lung and/or cardiovascular ..