Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state arrived at through prolonged and strong contraction of a muscle. Studies in athletes during prolonged submaximal exercise have shown that muscle fatigue increases in almost direct proportion to the rate of muscle glycogen depletion. Muscle fatigue in short-term maximal exercise is associated with oxygen lack and an increased level of blood and muscle lactic acid, and an accompanying increase in hydrogen-ion concentration in the exercised muscle.
Publications327 found, 100 shown here
- Skeletal muscle fatigue: cellular mechanismsD G Allen
School of Medical Sciences and Bosch Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Physiol Rev 88:287-332. 2008Repeated, intense use of muscles leads to a decline in performance known as muscle fatigue. Many muscle properties change during fatigue including the action potential, extracellular and intracellular ions, and many intracellular ..
- Spinal and supraspinal factors in human muscle fatigueS C Gandevia
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Prince of Wales Hospital and University of New South Wales, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Physiol Rev 81:1725-89. 2001b>Muscle fatigue is an exercise-induced reduction in maximal voluntary muscle force...
- Exercise-induced muscle damage in humansPriscilla M Clarkson
Department of Exercise Science, Totman Building, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 81:S52-69. 2002....
- Locomotor muscle fatigue modifies central motor drive in healthy humans and imposes a limitation to exercise performanceMarkus Amann
The John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 4245 Medical Science Center, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Physiol 586:161-73. 2008We asked whether the central effects of fatiguing locomotor muscle fatigue exert an inhibitory influence on central motor drive to regulate the total degree of peripheral fatigue development...
- Effect of lower-extremity muscle fatigue on postural controlPhillip A Gribble
Athletic Training Research Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:589-92. 2004..To examine the effects of fatigue of the lower extremity on postural control during single-leg stance...
- Free radicals and muscle fatigue: Of ROS, canaries, and the IOCMichael B Reid
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 44:169-79. 2008..in humans, quadrupeds, and isolated muscle preparations indicate that antioxidant pretreatment can delay muscle fatigue. In humans, this phenomenon is best defined for N-acetylcysteine (NAC), a reduced thiol donor that supports ..
- Muscle fatigue affects mental simulation of actionLaurent Demougeot
Universite de Bourgogne, Unité de Formation et de Recherche en Sciences et Techniques des Activité Physiques et Sportives, F 21078 Dijon, France
J Neurosci 31:10712-20. 2011..Here, we examined whether muscle fatigue could influence mental movements...
- Diurnal variations of plasma homocysteine, total antioxidant status, and biological markers of muscle injury during repeated sprint: effect on performance and muscle fatigue--a pilot studyOmar Hammouda
Research Laboratory, Sport Performance Optimization, National Centre of Medicine and Science in Sport, Tunis, Tunisia
Chronobiol Int 28:958-67. 2011..to establish a relationship between diurnal variation of these biomarkers and the daytime rhythm of power and muscle fatigue during repeated sprint ability (RSA) exercise...
- Neuromuscular consequences of an extreme mountain ultra-marathonGuillaume Y Millet
Universite de Lyon, F 42023, Saint Etienne, France
PLoS ONE 6:e17059. 2011..It is also concluded that as early as two weeks after such an extreme running exercise, maximal force capacities have returned to baseline...
- Intracellular acidosis enhances the excitability of working muscleThomas H Pedersen
Department of Physiology, University of Aarhus, DK 8000, Denmark
Science 305:1144-7. 2004Intracellular acidification of skeletal muscles is commonly thought to contribute to muscle fatigue. However, intracellular acidosis also acts to preserve muscle excitability when muscles become depolarized, which occurs with working ..
- Muscle fatigue: from observations in humans to underlying mechanisms studied in intact single muscle fibresNicolas Place
Institute of Movement Sciences and Sport Medicine, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Geneve, Rue du conseil général 10, 1205, Geneve, Switzerland
Eur J Appl Physiol 110:1-15. 2010Prolonged dynamic exercise and sustained isometric contractions induce muscle fatigue, as manifested by decreased performance and a reduction in the maximum voluntary contraction force...
- 31P-NMR observation of free ADP during fatiguing, repetitive contractions of murine skeletal muscle lacking AK1Chad R Hancock
Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288:C1298-304. 2005..Remarkably, the AK1(-/-) and WT muscles exhibited similar fatigue profiles. Our findings suggest that skeletal muscle is surprisingly tolerant to a large increase in ADP and by extension, a decline in energy from ATP...
- Effect of graded hypoxia on supraspinal contributions to fatigue with unilateral knee-extensor contractionsStuart Goodall
Centre for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 3PH, UK
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:1842-51. 2010....
- Changes in running kinematics, kinetics, and spring-mass behavior over a 24-h runJean Benoit Morin
Universite de Lyon, Saint Etienne, France
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:829-36. 2011..This study investigated the changes in running mechanics and spring-mass behavior over a 24-h treadmill run (24TR)...
- Nervous system function during exercise in hypoxiaMarkus Amann
University of Zurich, Institute of Physiology, and ETH Zurich, Exercise Physiology, Zurich, Switzerland
High Alt Med Biol 10:149-64. 2009..In moderate hypoxia, muscle afferents appear to play an important role, whereas in severe hypoxia brain oxygenation may play a more important role...
- The effect of aging on skeletal-muscle recovery from exercise: possible implications for aging athletesJames Fell
School of Human Life Sciences, University of Tasmania, Launceston, Australia
J Aging Phys Act 16:97-115. 2008..Future research should use an exercise intervention representative of a normal training stimulus and take the physical activity level of the participants into account...
- The absence of eye muscle fatigue indicates that the nervous system compensates for non-motor disturbances of oculomotor functionMario Prsa
Department of Cognitive Neurology, University of Tubingen, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Neurosci 30:15834-42. 2010..The existence of this supplementary mechanism forces a reassessment of traditional views of cerebellum-dependent motor adaptation...
- A comparison of pain level and entropy changes following core stability exercise interventionTaero Lee
Department of Healthcare Management, College of Health Science, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Med Sci Monit 17:CR362-8. 2011....
- Improvement of diaphragm and limb muscle isotonic contractile performance by K+ channel blockadeErik van Lunteren
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Neuroeng Rehabil 7:1. 2010....
- The effect of carbohydrate ingestion on the interleukin-6 response to a 90-minute run time trialPaula Robson-Ansley
School of Psychology and Sport Sciences, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Int J Sports Physiol Perform 4:186-94. 2009..3+/-1.9 pg.mL(-1) and 6.6+/-3.0 pg.mL(-1), respectively; p=.0313), this difference was considered physiologically too small to mediate the improvement in time trial performance...
- The effect of inspiratory muscles fatigue on postural control in people with and without recurrent low back painLotte Janssens
Musculoskeletal Research Unit, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Leuven K U Leuven, Tervuursevest 101, Leuven, Belgium
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1088-94. 2010..A 2-group experimental design...
- Effect of exercise-induced arterial hypoxemia on quadriceps muscle fatigue in healthy humansLee M Romer
Centre for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UK
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R365-75. 2006The effect of exercise-induced arterial hypoxemia (EIAH) on quadriceps muscle fatigue was assessed in 11 male endurance-trained subjects [peak O2 uptake (VO2 peak) = 56.4 +/- 2.8 ml x kg(-1) x min(-1); mean +/- SE]...
- From catastrophe to complexity: a novel model of integrative central neural regulation of effort and fatigue during exercise in humansT D Noakes
Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, University of Cape Town, Newlands, South Africa
Br J Sports Med 38:511-4. 2004..A revolutionary theory is presented that proposes that exercise performance is regulated by the central nervous system specifically to ensure that catastrophic physiological failure does not occur during normal exercise in humans...
- Repeated bout effect on the cytoskeletal proteins titin, desmin, and dystrophin in rat skeletal muscleT Maarit Lehti
LIKES Research Center for Sport and Health Sciences, Rautpohjankatu 8, Viveca, Jyvaskyla 40700, Finland
J Muscle Res Cell Motil 28:39-47. 2007..After five sessions increase in mRNA of studied proteins suggest a strong involvement in continuing adaptation to the increased exercise...
- Muscle weakness and atrophy are associated with decreased regenerative capacity and changes in mTOR signaling in skeletal muscles of venerable (18-24-month-old) dystrophic mdx miceE Mouisel
INSERM U974 CNRS UMR 7215, 105 bd de l Hopital, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, F 75013 France
Muscle Nerve 41:809-18. 2010..Progressive muscle weakness and atrophy in mdx mouse muscle is associated with a decline in regenerative potential and changes in activation of the mTOR signaling pathway...
- Multichannel surface EMG: basic aspects and clinical utilityMachiel J Zwarts
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Institute of Neurology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, PO Box 9101, NL 6500HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Muscle Nerve 28:1-17. 2003..We conclude that multichannel sEMG adds unique, and sometimes indispensable, spatial information to our knowledge of the motor unit...
- Muscle fatigue: lactic acid or inorganic phosphate the major cause?Hakan Westerblad
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
News Physiol Sci 17:17-21. 2002..acidosis due mainly to lactic acid accumulation has been regarded as the most important cause of skeletal muscle fatigue. Recent studies on mammalian muscle, however, show little direct effect of acidosis on muscle function at ..
- Recruitment patterns in human skeletal muscle during electrical stimulationChris M Gregory
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Florida, Room 1142, HPNP Bldg, 101 S Newell Dr, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Phys Ther 85:358-64. 2005..synthesizes the evidence that supports the contention that this recruitment pattern contributes to increased muscle fatigue when compared with voluntary actions...
- Lactic acid and exercise performance : culprit or friend?Simeon P Cairns
Institute of Sport and Recreation Research New Zealand, Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
Sports Med 36:279-91. 2006..accumulation of lactic acid, or in reality lactate and/or hydrogen (H+) ions, is a major cause of skeletal muscle fatigue, i.e. decline of muscle force or power output leading to impaired exercise performance...
- Oxidative stress biomarkers responses to physical overtraining: implications for diagnosisKonstantinos Margonis
Department of Physical Education and Sports Science, Democritus University of Thrace, Komotini 69100, and Department of Internal Medicine, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece
Free Radic Biol Med 43:901-10. 2007..In conclusion, overtraining induces a marked response of oxidative stress biomarkers which, in some cases, was proportional to training load, suggesting that they may serve as a tool for overtraining diagnosis...
- Multifidi muscles median frequency before and after spinal stabilization exercisesPaul S Sung
Iowa Spine Research Center, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1313-8. 2003..To determine changes in multifidi muscle endurance and functional status after a 4-week spinal stabilization exercise program for patients presenting with chronic low back dysfunction (LBD)...
- Muscle-derived ROS and thiol regulation in muscle fatigueLeonardo F Ferreira
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose St, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:853-60. 2008..that supports glutathione synthesis, has been shown to lessen oxidation of cellular constituents and delay muscle fatigue. In humans, NAC pretreatment improves performance of limb and respiratory muscles during fatigue protocols and ..
- Symptoms and quadriceps fatigability after walking and cycling in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseWilliam D C Man
Respiratory Muscle Laboratory, Guy s King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College Hospital, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9PJ UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:562-7. 2003..01; potentiated p = 0.003). Leg effort is an infrequent symptom after walking in COPD, and low frequency fatigue of the quadriceps is an infrequent feature of incremental walking...
- A comparison of central aspects of fatigue in submaximal and maximal voluntary contractionsJanet L Taylor
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Barker St, Randwick, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:542-50. 2008..The best indication that central fatigue is important during submaximal tasks is the disproportionate increase in subjects' perceived effort when maintaining a low target force...
- A mathematical model of fatigue in skeletal muscle force contractionPaul R Shorten
AgResearch Limited, Ruakura Research Centre, Private Bag, 3123, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Muscle Res Cell Motil 28:293-313. 2007The ability for muscle to repeatedly generate force is limited by fatigue. The cellular mechanisms behind muscle fatigue are complex and potentially include breakdown at many points along the excitation-contraction pathway...
- The cross-bridge cycle and skeletal muscle fatigueRobert H Fitts
Dept of Biological Sciences, Wehr Life Sciences Bldg, Marquette Univ, P O Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201 1881, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:551-8. 2008..In vitro, reactive oxygen species reduce myofibrillar Ca2+ sensitivity; however, the importance of this mechanism during in vivo exercise is unknown...
- Effect of 830 nm low-level laser therapy in exercise-induced skeletal muscle fatigue in humansErnesto Cesar Pinto Leal Junior
Laboratory of Human Movement LMH, University of Caxias do Sul, Rua Francisco Getúlio Vargas, 1130, Caxias do Sul, 95070 560, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Lasers Med Sci 24:425-31. 2009This study aimed to investigate the effect of 830 nm low-level laser therapy (LLLT) on skeletal muscle fatigue. Ten healthy male professional volleyball players entered a crossover randomized double-blinded placebo-controlled trial...
- Functional investigations of exercising muscle: a noninvasive magnetic resonance spectroscopy-magnetic resonance imaging approachD Bendahan
Centre de Resonance Magnetique Biologique et Medicale, UMR CNRS 6612, Faculte de Medecine de Marseille, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13005 Marseille, France
Cell Mol Life Sci 61:1001-15. 2004b>Muscle fatigue, which is defined as the decline in muscle performance during exercise, may occur at different sites along the pathway from the central nervous system through to the intramuscular contractile machinery...
- Influence of fatigue in neuromuscular control of spinal stabilityKevin P Granata
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Hum Factors 46:81-91. 2004..Potential applications of this research include a biomechanical tool for the design of administrative ergonomic controls in manual materials handling industries...
- Effect of light finger touch on postural sway after lower-limb muscular fatigueNicolas Vuillerme
Universite Joseph Fourier Grenoble 1, France
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1560-3. 2003..To investigate whether a light finger touch can compensate for the increased postural sway induced by lower-limb muscular fatigue...
- Neuromuscular fatigue in healthy muscle: underlying factors and adaptation mechanismsS Boyas
EA 4334, UFR STAPS de Nantes, Laboratoire Motricite, Interactions, Performance, Universite de Nantes, 25 bis, boulevard Guy Mollet, 44322 Nantes Cedex 3, France
Ann Phys Rehabil Med 54:88-108. 2011..This review also addresses the literature that focuses on the mechanisms responsible for the adaption to neuromuscular fatigue...
- Effects of different pedalling techniques on muscle fatigue and mechanical efficiency during prolonged cyclingJ Theurel
Institute of Movement Sciences E J Marey, UMR CNRS 6233, Aix Marseille University, Parc Scientifique et Technologique de Luminy, Marseille, France
Scand J Med Sci Sports 22:714-21. 2012..0 ± 1.9% vs PT: 20.2 ± 1.9%). Although changes in muscular coordination pattern with feedback did not seem to influence GE, it could be mainly responsible for the reduction of muscle fatigue after prolonged cycling.
- Assessment of the reliability of central and peripheral fatigue after sustained maximal voluntary contraction of the quadriceps muscleNicolas Place
INSERM ERM 207 Motricité Plasticité, Faculte des Sciences du Sport, Universite de Bourgogne, BP 27877, 21078 Dijon, France
Muscle Nerve 35:486-95. 2007..These findings can be useful in the choice of the parameters describing central and peripheral fatigue of the quadriceps muscle in future studies...
- Changes in postural stability with fatigue of lower extremity frontal and sagittal plane moversMahyar Salavati
University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Gait Posture 26:214-8. 2007..Biodex Stability System was used to assess anterior/posterior and medial/lateral stability before and after muscle fatigue. Repeated measures ANOVAs revealed that fatigue was associated with a significant increase in all stability ..
- Measurement of voluntary activation of fresh and fatigued human muscles using transcranial magnetic stimulationGabrielle Todd
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute and the University of New South Wales, Sydney 2031, Australia
J Physiol 551:661-71. 2003....
- Cerebrovascular responses to incremental exercise during hypobaric hypoxia: effect of oxygenation on maximal performanceAndrew W Subudhi
Department of Biology, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, 1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80918, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H164-71. 2008..Thus cerebral hypoxia appeared to impose a limit to maximal exercise during hypobaric hypoxia (Pi(O(2)) 86 Torr), since its reversal was associated with improved performance...
- Reflex and intrinsic changes induced by fatigue of human elbow extensor musclesL Q Zhang
Sensory Motor Performance Program, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Neurophysiol 86:1086-94. 2001..In short, the reduced contribution from intrinsic stiffness to joint torque was compensated by increased contribution from dynamic stretch reflexes after fatigue...
- Effects of dietary supplementation with vitamins C and E on muscle function during and after eccentric contractions in humansA Shafat
Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Eur J Appl Physiol 93:196-202. 2004..These data suggest that prior supplementation with dietary antioxidants ameliorates muscle functional decrements subsequent to eccentric muscle contraction...
- Effectiveness of post-match recovery strategies in rugby playersN D Gill
Waikato Institute of Technology, School of Sport and Exercise Science, Hamilton, New Zealand
Br J Sports Med 40:260-3. 2006..To examine the effectiveness of four interventions on the rate and magnitude of muscle damage recovery, as measured by creatine kinase (CK)...
- Alteration of the position sense at the ankle induced by muscular fatigue in humansNicholas Forestier
Division de kinesiologie, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:117-22. 2002..The purpose of this study was to investigate how an isometric exhaustion test affects the position sense at the ankle using an active matching task...
- Functional TRPV4 channels are expressed in mouse skeletal muscle and can modulate resting Ca2+ influx and muscle fatigueBernd W Pritschow
Institute of Pathophysiology, University of Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
Pflugers Arch 461:115-22. 2011..When soleus muscles were stimulated with a fatigue protocol, muscle fatigue was significantly attenuated in the presence of 4α-PDD...
- Impact of varying pulse frequency and duration on muscle torque production and fatigueChris M Gregory
Brain Rehabilitation Research Center, North Florida South Georgia Veterans Health System Department of Physical Therapy, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Muscle Nerve 35:504-9. 2007..These data demonstrate the ability to predictably control torque output by simultaneously controlling pulse frequency and duration and suggest the need to minimize stimulation frequency to control fatigue...
- Central excitability does not limit postfatigue voluntary activation of quadriceps femorisJ M Kalmar
Department of Biology, Rm 346, Bethune College, York University, 4700 Keele St, Toronto, ON, Canada M3J 1P3
J Appl Physiol 100:1757-64. 2006..05) at Tlim. However, this was not associated with enhanced maximal voluntary activation during fatigue or recovery, demonstrating that voluntary activation is not limited by central excitability...
- Interleukin-6 and its mRNA responses in exercise and recovery: relationship to muscle glycogenJ E Gusba
Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
Scand J Med Sci Sports 18:77-85. 2008..05) and 40% in the carbohydrate and water trials, respectively. Therefore, the declining IL-6 mRNA and IL-6 plasma concentrations during recovery were not related to carbohydrate availability or changes in glycogen...
- Preliminary evaluation of a controlled-brake orthosis for FES-aided gaitMichael Goldfarb
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 11:241-8. 2003..that incorporates a computer-controlled orthosis system has been developed to address the problems of rapid muscle fatigue and poor movement control that are characteristic of FES-aided gait...
- Muscle fatigue during football match-playThomas Reilly
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Sports Med 38:357-67. 2008..There is also a role for endurance training and for a pacing strategy that optimizes the expenditure of energy during match-play...
- Red (660 nm) and infrared (830 nm) low-level laser therapy in skeletal muscle fatigue in humans: what is better?Patrícia de Almeida
Post Graduate Program in Rehabilitation Sciences, Nove de Julho University UNINOVE, Rua Vergueiro, 235, 01504 001, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Lasers Med Sci 27:453-8. 2012..therapy (LLLT) using red, infrared and mixed wavelengths has been shown to delay the development of skeletal muscle fatigue. However, the parameters employed in these studies do not allow a conclusion as to which wavelength range is ..
- Neural and muscular adjustments following repeated running sprintsStephane Perrey
Laboratoire EA 2991 Efficience et Déficience Motrices, UFR STAPS, Faculté des Sciences du Sports, Universite Montpellier 1, 700 Avenue du Pic Saint Loup, 34090, Montpellier, France
Eur J Appl Physiol 109:1027-36. 2010..Peak tetanus at 20 and 80 Hz were 17 and 8% lower (P < 0.05) in the fatigued state, respectively. Acute muscle fatigue induced by RS running exercise is mainly peripheral as the short-term (30 min) recovery pattern of plantar ..
- A predictive fatigue model--I: Predicting the effect of stimulation frequency and pattern on fatigueJun Ding
Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Biomechanics and Movement Science, University of Delaware, Newark 19716, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 10:48-58. 2002..In addition, the present models successfully predict the effect of stimulation frequency and pulse pattern on muscle fatigue. The success of our current force- and fatigue-model system suggests its potential use in helping to identify ..
- Skeletal muscle fatigue in long-distance runners, sprinters and untrained men after repeated drop jumps performed at maximal intensityA Skurvydas
Laboratory of Human Motorics, Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, Lithuanian Academy of Physical Education, Sporto 6, LT 3029 Kaunas, Lithuania
Scand J Med Sci Sports 12:34-9. 2002....
- Physical fitness and performance. Fatigue responses during repeated sprints matched for initial mechanical outputAlberto Mendez-Villanueva
School of Human Movement and Exercise Science, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:2219-25. 2007..To compare muscle fatigability during two sets of repeated cycling sprints matched for initial mechanical output in a nonfatigued and fatigued state...
- Slower conduction velocity and motor unit discharge frequency are associated with muscle fatigue during isometric exercise in type 1 diabetes mellitusS Almeida
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, Faculty of Health, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3, Canada
Muscle Nerve 37:231-40. 2008..Persons with T1DM had slower conduction velocities and lower MUDF than their controls, which apparently leads to impaired activation of muscle and decreased endurance during isometric fatigue...
- Endurance time is joint-specific: a modelling and meta-analysis investigationLaura A Frey Law
Graduate Program in Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Science, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Ergonomics 53:109-29. 2010..This study provides updated endurance time-intensity curves using a large meta-analysis of fatigue data. Specific models derived for five distinct joint regions should further increase prediction accuracy...
- Central and peripheral contributions to fatigue in relation to level of activation during repeated maximal voluntary isometric plantar flexionsMaria M Nordlund
Department of Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, 114 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:218-25. 2004....
- Effects of trunk muscle fatigue and load timing on spinal responses during sudden hand loadingDiane E Grondin
Department of Kinesiology, University of Windsor, Windsor, Ontario
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 19:e237-45. 2009..was to investigate the responses of the spine during sudden loading in the presence of back and abdominal muscle fatigue, with a primary focus on the implications for spinal stability...
- Muscle tissue oxygenation, pressure, electrical, and mechanical responses during dynamic and static voluntary contractionsPernille Vedsted
Department of Physiology, National Institute of Occupational Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Appl Physiol 96:165-77. 2006..In conclusion, rTO(2) in DYN and IST were similar in spite of major differences in the MMG and EMG responses of the muscle during contraction periods. This may relate to the surprisingly lower IMP in DYN than IST...
- Effects of congestive heart failure on Ca2+ handling in skeletal muscle during fatiguePer Kristian Lunde
Institute for Experimental Medical Research, Ulleval University Hospital, N 0407 Oslo, Norway
Circ Res 98:1514-9. 2006..The fatigue-induced changes recovered rapidly. We conclude that CHF soleus fibers fatigue more rapidly than Sham fibers because of a reversible fatigue-induced decrease in myofibrillar function...
- Effect of low-level laser (Ga-Al-As 655 nm) on skeletal muscle fatigue induced by electrical stimulation in ratsRodrigo Alvaro B Lopes-Martins
Department of Pharmacology, Laboratory of Biochemical Pharmacology of Free Radicals, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Appl Physiol (1985) 101:283-8. 2006..5 J/cm2 LLLT group and the control group. We conclude that LLLT doses of 0.5 and 1.0 J/cm2 can prevent development of muscular fatigue in rats during repeated tetanic contractions...
- Effect of low-level laser therapy (GaAs 904 nm) in skeletal muscle fatigue and biochemical markers of muscle damage in ratsErnesto Cesar Pinto Leal Junior
Section for Physiotherapy Science, Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Bergen UiB, Kalfarveien 31, 5020 Bergen, Norway
Eur J Appl Physiol 108:1083-8. 2010..We conclude that pre-exercise irradiation with a laser dose of 1.0 J and 904 nm wavelength significantly delays muscle fatigue and decreases post-exercise blood lactate and CK in this rat model.
- Limited oxygen diffusion accelerates fatigue development in mouse skeletal muscleShi Jin Zhang
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Physiol 572:551-9. 2006..We have now employed this difference to study mechanisms of skeletal muscle fatigue. Isolated whole soleus and extensor digitorum longus (EDL) muscles were fatigued by repeated tetanic ..
- Effect of short-term creatine supplementation on markers of skeletal muscle damage after strenuous contractile activityReinaldo Abunasser Bassit
Departamento de Fisiologia e Biofisica, Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas I, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Lineu Prestes, 1524, Sala 105, Butantan, Sao Paulo, SP, 05508 900, Brazil
Eur J Appl Physiol 108:945-55. 2010..CrS presented a protective effect on muscle injury induced by strenuous contractile activities...
- Protective role of extracellular chloride in fatigue of isolated mammalian skeletal muscleSimeon P Cairns
Division of Sport and Recreation, Auckland Univ of Technology, Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1020, New Zealand
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 287:C762-70. 2004..This phenomenon possibly involves attenuation of the depolarization caused by stimulation- or exercise-induced run-down of the transsarcolemmal K(+) gradient...
- Effect of cluster multi-diode light emitting diode therapy (LEDT) on exercise-induced skeletal muscle fatigue and skeletal muscle recovery in humansErnesto Cesar Pinto Leal Junior
Laboratory of Human Movement LMH, University of Caxias do Sul UCS, Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
Lasers Surg Med 41:572-7. 2009There are some indications that low-level laser therapy (LLLT) may delay the development of skeletal muscle fatigue during high-intensity exercise...
- Sarcoplasmic reticulum function and muscle contractile character following fatiguing exercise in humansC A Hill
School of Exercise and Sport Science, University of Sydney, Sydney 2141, Australia
J Physiol 531:871-8. 2001..05) with a decreased ratio of torques generated at 20:50 Hz, indicating an involvement in low frequency fatigue; however, no correlations between the muscle relaxation times or rates of change of torque and calcium uptake were observed...
- Normal hypertrophy accompanied by phosphoryation and activation of AMP-activated protein kinase alpha1 following overload in LKB1 knockout miceSean L McGee
Functional Molecular Biology Lab, Division of Molecular Physiology, University of Dundee, Sir James Black Centre, Dow Street, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK
J Physiol 586:1731-41. 2008....
- Free radicals in exhaustive physical exercise: mechanism of production, and protection by antioxidantsJ Vina
Departamento de Fisiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Valencia, Spain
IUBMB Life 50:271-7. 2000..Knowledge of the mechanism of free-radical formation in exercise is important because it will be useful to prevent oxidative stress and damage associated with exhaustive physical activity...
- Evidence for neuromuscular fatigue during high-intensity cycling in warm, humid conditionsD Kay
Human Movement Studies Unit and Human Performance Laboratory, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst NSW 2795, Australia
Eur J Appl Physiol 84:115-21. 2001....
- Fatigue analysis of the surface EMG signal in isometric constant force contractions using the averaged instantaneous frequencyA Georgakis
Department of Communication Systems, Lancaster University, Lancaster LA1 4YR, U K
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 50:262-5. 2003..proposed as an alternative method for the frequency analysis of surface electromyography (EMG) in the study of muscle fatigue during sustained, isometric muscle contractions...
- Chloride conductance in the transverse tubular system of rat skeletal muscle fibres: importance in excitation-contraction coupling and fatigueT L Dutka
Department of Zoology, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Physiol 586:875-87. 2008..These findings show that the t-system chloride conductance plays a vital role during normal activity by countering the effects of K(+) accumulation in the t-system and maintaining muscle excitability...
- Effect of 655-nm low-level laser therapy on exercise-induced skeletal muscle fatigue in humansErnesto Cesar Pinto Leal Junior
Laboratory of Human Movement, University of Caxias do Sul, Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
Photomed Laser Surg 26:419-24. 2008To investigate if development of skeletal muscle fatigue during repeated voluntary biceps contractions could be attenuated by low-level laser therapy (LLLT).
- Influence of dietary creatine supplementation on muscle phosphocreatine kinetics during knee-extensor exercise in humansAndrew M Jones
University of Exeter, Exeter, Devon EX1 2 LU, UK
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R1078-87. 2009..92) and the heavy on-transient (r = 0.71). These data demonstrate, for the first time in humans, that an increase in muscle [PCr] results in a slowing of [PCr] dynamics in exercise and subsequent recovery...
- Opioid-mediated muscle afferents inhibit central motor drive and limit peripheral muscle fatigue development in humansMarkus Amann
Institute of Physiology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Physiol 587:271-83. 2009..from exercising locomotor muscles results in an overshoot in CMD and power output normally chosen by the athlete, thereby causing a greater rate of accumulation of muscle metabolites and excessive development of peripheral muscle fatigue.
- Postural sway under muscle vibration and muscle fatigue in humansNicolas Vuillerme
Laboratoire Sport et Performance Motrice, Université Joseph Fourier Grenoble1, Grenoble
Neurosci Lett 333:131-5. 2002..the effect of ankle muscle vibration on the regulation of postural sway in bipedal stance following ankle muscle fatigue. Center of foot pressure displacements were recorded using a force platform...
- Genetic CLC-1 chloride channel deficiency modifies diaphragm muscle isometric contractile propertiesErik van Lunteren
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 155:220-6. 2007..These findings indicate that genetic CLC-1 deficiency not only affects muscle relaxation (myotonia) but also modulates diaphragm performance during the contractile phase of the contraction-relaxation cycle...
- Muscle fatigue during high-intensity exercise in childrenSebastien Ratel
Laboratory of Exercise Biology BAPS EA 3533, Faculty of Sports Sciences, University of Blaise Pascal, Clermont Ferrand, France
Sports Med 36:1031-65. 2006..From a clinical point of view, muscle fatigue profiles are different between healthy children and children with muscle and metabolic diseases...
- The magnitude of the effect of calf muscles fatigue on postural control during bipedal quiet standing with vision depends on the eye-visual target distanceNicolas Vuillerme
Laboratoire de Modelisation des Activites Sportives, Universite de Savoie, Domaine Universitaire, 73 376 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex, France
Gait Posture 24:169-72. 2006....
- Arterial oxygenation influences central motor output and exercise performance via effects on peripheral locomotor muscle fatigue in humansMarkus Amann
The John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, 4245 Medical Science Center, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Physiol 575:937-52. 2006..Changing arterial oxygen content (C(aO(2))) has a highly sensitive influence on the rate of peripheral locomotor muscle fatigue development...
- Beneficial effects of voluntary wheel running on the properties of dystrophic mouse muscleA Hayes
Muscle and Cell Physiology Laboratory, Department of Physiology, The University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 80:670-9. 1996..5 km/day). Despite this, running increased the force output of the plantaris muscle (approximately 50%). Taken together, the results showed that exercise can have beneficial effects on dystrophic skeletal muscles...
- Inhibition of shortening velocity of skinned skeletal muscle fibers in conditions that mimic fatigueChristina Karatzaferi
Institute of Human Performance and Rehabilitation, Center for Research and Technology Thessaly, University of Thessaly, Trikala, Greece
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 294:R948-55. 2008The mechanisms responsible for the inhibition of shortening velocity that occurs during muscle fatigue have not been completely elucidated...
- Low-intensity laser irradiation improves the mitochondrial dysfunction of C2C12 induced by electrical stimulationXiaoyang Xu
Laboratory of Laser Sports Medicine, College of Sports Sciences, South China Normal University, Guangzhou, China
Photomed Laser Surg 26:197-202. 2008..Background Data: Many other studies in the past demonstrated that LIL had a cytoprotective effect, and a recent study also found that LIL could reduce muscular fatigue during tetanic contractions in rats...
- Hypoxia/fatigue-induced degradation of troponin I and troponin C: new insights into physiologic muscle fatigueM de Paula Brotto
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pflugers Arch 442:738-44. 2001....
- Effects of aerobic and strength exercise on motor fatigue in men and women with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trialJukka Surakka
National Public Health Institute, Department of Health and Functional Capacity, Turku, Finland
Clin Rehabil 18:737-46. 2004..To investigate the effects of aerobic and strength exercise on motor fatigue of knee flexor and extensor muscles in subjects with multiple sclerosis (MS)...
- Reactive oxygen species reduce myofibrillar Ca2+ sensitivity in fatiguing mouse skeletal muscle at 37 degrees CTerence R Moopanar
Institute for Biomedical Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, University of Sydney F13, NSW 2006, Australia
J Physiol 564:189-99. 2005The mechanisms of muscle fatigue were studied in small muscle bundles and single fibres isolated from the flexor digitorum brevis of the mouse...
- Age-related muscle fatigue after a low-force fatiguing contraction is explained by central fatigueTejin Yoon
Exercise Science Program, Department of Physical Therapy, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Muscle Nerve 37:457-66. 2008..Aging increases: (1) fatigue within the central nervous system immediately after a low-force fatiguing contraction, and (2) the potential for large neural adaptations during neuromuscular rehabilitation in old adults...
- Do multiple ionic interactions contribute to skeletal muscle fatigue?S P Cairns
Institute of Sport and Recreation Research New Zealand, Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, AUT University, Auckland 1020, New Zealand
J Physiol 586:4039-54. 2008..We hypothesize that during high-intensity exercise a rundown of the transsarcolemmal K(+) gradient is the dominant cellular process around which interactions with other ions and metabolites occur, thereby contributing to fatigue...
- Low cell pH depresses peak power in rat skeletal muscle fibres at both 30 degrees C and 15 degrees C: implications for muscle fatigueS T Knuth
Marquette University, Department of Biological Sciences, PO Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201 1881, USA
J Physiol 575:887-99. 2006Historically, an increase in intracellular H(+) (decrease in cell pH) was thought to contribute to muscle fatigue by direct inhibition of the cross-bridge leading to a reduction in velocity and force...
- A gene for speed: contractile properties of isolated whole EDL muscle from an alpha-actinin-3 knockout mouseS Chan
School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295:C897-904. 2008..These changes in the contractile properties of fast-twitch skeletal muscle from alpha-actinin-3-deficient individuals would be detrimental to optimal sprint and power performance, but beneficial for endurance performance...
- Age-associated changes in the innervation of muscle fibers and changes in the mechanical properties of motor unitsA R Luff
Department of Physiology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Ann N Y Acad Sci 854:92-101. 1998....
- Defective maintenance of intracellular Ca2+ homeostasis is linked to increased muscle fatigability in the MG29 null miceMarco A P Brotto
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Cell Res 14:373-8. 2004..skeletal muscle resulted in abnormality of the triad junction structure, and also increased susceptibility to muscle fatigue. To elucidate the basis of these effects, we investigated the properties of Ca2+-uptake and -release in toxin-..
- Effects of isokinetic ankle fatigue on the maintenance of balance and postural limitsJames A Yaggie
Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 83:224-8. 2002..To quantify changes in balance parameters and ranges of postural control at the ankle after isokinetic fatigue...
- The surface mechanomyogram as a tool to describe the influence of fatigue on biceps brachii motor unit activation strategy. Historical basis and novel evidenceClaudio Orizio
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Biotecnologie, Sezione di Fisiologia Umana, Universita di Brescia, Italy
Eur J Appl Physiol 90:326-36. 2003..MVC relationships at fatigue seems to be related to the impossibility of recruiting fast, but more fatigable MUs, and to the lowering of the global MUs firing during the short isometric force ramp investigated...
- Neural Mechanisms in Muscle FatigueROGER ENOKA; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Skeletal Muscle Fatigue in Older AdultsJane Kent Braun; Fiscal Year: 2006The overall goal is to determine the magnitude and mechanisms of age-related changes in muscle fatigue (decrease in maximal force-generating capacity, MVC)...
- Skeletal Muscle. Ca Release Control Inside the Sarcoplasmic Reticulum.Eduardo Rios; Fiscal Year: 2010..Signals also decay during fatigue -their decay actually causing fatigue-- and in old age. In muscle fatigue, the stores are depleted...
- Treatment of SLE with N-acetylcysteineAndras Perl; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moreover, oral NAC has been found to improve muscle fatigue (5-7) which is reported to be the most disabling symptom in 53% of patients with SLE (8)...
- A Joint-Coupled Controlled-Brake Orthosis System for Hybrid FES Gait RestorationMichael Goldfarb; Fiscal Year: 2010..Due to the potential of collapse (from muscle fatigue) and the need to guide uncontrolled degrees of freedom, hybrid systems appear to offer the greatest promise ..
- Electrical Stimulation for Hemiplegic Shoulder PainJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2010..ES is delivered at a relatively high frequency between 20 and 35 Hz, which can lead to more rapid onset of muscle fatigue.7 Third, due to stimulation-induced pain and muscle fatigue, an escalating stimulation schedule is needed...
- Electrical Stimulation for Hemiplegic Shoulder PainJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2009..ES is delivered at a relatively high frequency between 20 and 35 Hz, which can lead to more rapid onset of muscle fatigue.7 Third, due to stimulation-induced pain and muscle fatigue, an escalating stimulation schedule is needed...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF THERMOGENESISLESLIE PAUL KOZAK; Fiscal Year: 2010..that is important for the achieving maximal metabolic efficiency, which when inactivated causes extreme muscle fatigue. We found major reductions of Slc25a25 gene expression in skeletal muscle biopsies from obese and type 2 ..
- TESTOSTERONE EFFECTS ON DIAPHRAGM MUSCLE FATIGUECesar Blanco; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identical AAS treatment of male rats had no effect on DIA muscle fatigue using the same stimulation paradigm...
- TRANSMISSION OF RESPIRATORY DRIVE TO MOTONEURONSJACK FELDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Pathologies of breathing such as sleep apnea, central alveolar hyperventilation, central inspiratory muscle fatigue and (perhaps) sudden infant death syndrome result from failure to generate adequate respiratory muscle ..
- Skeletal Muscle. Ca Release Control Inside the Sarcoplasmic Reticulum.Eduardo Rios; Fiscal Year: 2009..Signals also decay during fatigue -their decay actually causing fatigue-- and in old age. In muscle fatigue, the stores are depleted...
- Role of MG29 in E-C Coupling of Striated MusclesJianjie Ma; Fiscal Year: 2006..A distinct phenotype of mg29(-/-) mice is their increased susceptibility to muscle fatigue, which may be linked to an altered Ca signaling in the mutant muscle...
- NURSING MODEL--RESPIRATORY MUSCLE STRENGTH IN COPDJanet Larson; Fiscal Year: 2001..functional strength of the inspiratory muscles which places them at risk for the development of respiratory muscle fatigue and ventilatory failure and contributes to sensations of dyspnea and ultimately to a decrease in functional ..
- Molecular Physiology of CLC Chloride ChannelsTsung Yu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Physiologically, the inhibition of CLC-1's common-gating by ATP is critical for overcoming muscle fatigue. The slow/common-gating mechanism is also pathologically important because mutations that disrupt the common- ..
- Molecular Physiology of CLC Chloride ChannelsTsung Yu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Physiologically, the inhibition of CLC-1's common-gating by ATP is critical for overcoming muscle fatigue. The slow/common-gating mechanism is also pathologically important because mutations that disrupt the common- ..
- Locomotion Control by Lumbar Spinal Cord StimulationChangfeng Tai; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Muscle fatigue is a major problem in the peripheral neuromuscular stimulation...
- PHYSIOLOGIC BASIS OF MUSCLE FUNCTIONAL MRIRONALD MEYER; Fiscal Year: 2005..involvement in various fatigue syndromes: first, is the intensity of the BOLD response in motor cortical areas quantitatively dependent on force development, and second, how is this central response altered by peripheral muscle fatigue?
- SINGLE CHANNEL HYBRID FES GAIT SYSTEMWilliam Durfee; Fiscal Year: 2007..joints and an orthosis that can be controlled and can provide anti-gravity support to reduce stimulated muscle fatigue. Because the ESO approach is new, technical feasibility must be demonstrated before undertaking a ..
- RESPIRATORY SYSTEM MECHANICSALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2002..Respiratory insufficiency is the usual cause of death in many primary neuromuscular disorders. Respiratory muscle fatigue is believed to be a major factor in hypercarbic respiratory failure associated with lung and/or cardiovascular ..