Genomes and Genes
Summary: A state arrived at through prolonged and strong contraction of a muscle. Studies in athletes during prolonged submaximal exercise have shown that muscle fatigue increases in almost direct proportion to the rate of muscle glycogen depletion. Muscle fatigue in short-term maximal exercise is associated with oxygen lack and an increased level of blood and muscle lactic acid, and an accompanying increase in hydrogen-ion concentration in the exercised muscle.
Publications363 found, 100 shown here
- Spinal and supraspinal factors in human muscle fatigueS C Gandevia
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Prince of Wales Hospital and University of New South Wales, Randwick, Sydney, Australia
Physiol Rev 81:1725-89. 2001b>Muscle fatigue is an exercise-induced reduction in maximal voluntary muscle force...
- Skeletal muscle fatigue: cellular mechanismsD G Allen
School of Medical Sciences and Bosch Institute, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Physiol Rev 88:287-332. 2008Repeated, intense use of muscles leads to a decline in performance known as muscle fatigue. Many muscle properties change during fatigue including the action potential, extracellular and intracellular ions, and many intracellular ..
- A review of non-invasive techniques to detect and predict localised muscle fatigueMohamed R Al-Mulla
School of Computer Science and Electronic Engineering, University of Essex, Colchester, UK
Sensors (Basel) 11:3545-94. 2011b>Muscle fatigue is an established area of research and various types of muscle fatigue have been investigated in order to fully understand the condition...
- Hyperthermia and central fatigue during prolonged exercise in humansL Nybo
Department of Human Physiology, Institute of Exercise and Sport Sciences, University of Copenhagen, DK 2200 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 91:1055-60. 2001..In conclusion, these data demonstrate that the ability to generate force during a prolonged MVC is attenuated with hyperthermia, and the impaired performance is associated with a reduction in the voluntary activation percentage...
- A comparison of central aspects of fatigue in submaximal and maximal voluntary contractionsJanet L Taylor
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Barker St, Randwick, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:542-50. 2008..The best indication that central fatigue is important during submaximal tasks is the disproportionate increase in subjects' perceived effort when maintaining a low target force...
- Repeated-sprint ability - part I: factors contributing to fatigueOlivier Girard
Aspetar Qatar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital, Research and Education Centre, Doha, Qatar
Sports Med 41:673-94. 2011..Pending confirmatory research, other factors such as stiffness regulation, hypoglycaemia, muscle damage and hostile environments (e.g. heat, hypoxia) are also likely to compromise fatigue resistance during repeated-sprint protocols...
- Red (660 nm) and infrared (830 nm) low-level laser therapy in skeletal muscle fatigue in humans: what is better?Patrícia de Almeida
Post Graduate Program in Rehabilitation Sciences, Nove de Julho University UNINOVE, Rua Vergueiro, 235, 01504 001, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Lasers Med Sci 27:453-8. 2012..therapy (LLLT) using red, infrared and mixed wavelengths has been shown to delay the development of skeletal muscle fatigue. However, the parameters employed in these studies do not allow a conclusion as to which wavelength range is ..
- Neuromuscular consequences of an extreme mountain ultra-marathonGuillaume Y Millet
Universite de Lyon, F 42023, Saint Etienne, France
PLoS ONE 6:e17059. 2011..It is also concluded that as early as two weeks after such an extreme running exercise, maximal force capacities have returned to baseline...
- Nervous system function during exercise in hypoxiaMarkus Amann
University of Zurich, Institute of Physiology, and ETH Zurich, Exercise Physiology, Zurich, Switzerland
High Alt Med Biol 10:149-64. 2009..In moderate hypoxia, muscle afferents appear to play an important role, whereas in severe hypoxia brain oxygenation may play a more important role...
- Distributed low-frequency functional electrical stimulation delays muscle fatigue compared to conventional stimulationNebojsa M Malesevic
Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Belgrade, Bulevar kralja Aleksandra 73, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Muscle Nerve 42:556-62. 2010We present a low-frequency stimulation method via multi-pad electrodes for delaying muscle fatigue. We compared two protocols for muscle activation of the quadriceps in paraplegics...
- Effect of graded hypoxia on supraspinal contributions to fatigue with unilateral knee-extensor contractionsStuart Goodall
Centre for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 3PH, UK
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:1842-51. 2010....
- Reflex regulation during sustained and intermittent submaximal contractions in humansJacques Duchateau
Laboratory of Biology, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 28 avenue P Héger, CP 168, Belgium
J Physiol 541:959-67. 2002..This decline in excitation to the motoneurones, however, can be temporarily compensated by an enhancement of the central drive...
- Measurement of voluntary activation of fresh and fatigued human muscles using transcranial magnetic stimulationGabrielle Todd
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute and the University of New South Wales, Sydney 2031, Australia
J Physiol 551:661-71. 2003....
- Unraveling the neurophysiology of muscle fatigueRoger M Enoka
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, USA
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 21:208-19. 2011..insight on the types of adjustments that occur in the nervous system during fatiguing contractions, but emphasize that much remains to be learned about the physiological processes that contribute to the phenomenon known as muscle fatigue.
- Functional TRPV4 channels are expressed in mouse skeletal muscle and can modulate resting Ca2+ influx and muscle fatigueBernd W Pritschow
Institute of Pathophysiology, University of Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
Pflugers Arch 461:115-22. 2011..When soleus muscles were stimulated with a fatigue protocol, muscle fatigue was significantly attenuated in the presence of 4α-PDD...
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation and human muscle fatigueJ L Taylor
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute and University of New South Wales, Barker Street, Randwick, Sydney, NSW 2031, Australia
Muscle Nerve 24:18-29. 2001..In some patients with symptoms of fatigue, the response to TMS after exercise is altered, but the changed MEP behavior is not yet linked to particular symptoms or pathology...
- Failed excitability of spinal motoneurons induced by prolonged running exerciseS Racinais
Faculté des Sciences du Sports, Laboratoire EA 2991, Efficience et Déficience Motrices, Universite de Montpellier 1, 700 Avenue du Pic Saint Loup, 34090 Montpellier, France
J Neurophysiol 97:596-603. 2007..In conclusion, the results regarding H-reflex and V-wave suggest for the first time a modulation in spinal loop properties after prolonged running...
- Locomotor exercise induces long-lasting impairments in the capacity of the human motor cortex to voluntarily activate knee extensor musclesSimranjit K Sidhu
University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:556-65. 2009b>Muscle fatigue is a reduction in the capacity to exert force and may involve a "central" component originating in the brain and/or spinal cord...
- Exercise-induced muscle damage in humansPriscilla M Clarkson
Department of Exercise Science, Totman Building, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 81:S52-69. 2002....
- Muscle fatigue affects mental simulation of actionLaurent Demougeot
Universite de Bourgogne, Unité de Formation et de Recherche en Sciences et Techniques des Activité Physiques et Sportives, F 21078 Dijon, France
J Neurosci 31:10712-20. 2011..Here, we examined whether muscle fatigue could influence mental movements...
- Intracellular acidosis enhances the excitability of working muscleThomas H Pedersen
Department of Physiology, University of Aarhus, DK 8000, Denmark
Science 305:1144-7. 2004Intracellular acidification of skeletal muscles is commonly thought to contribute to muscle fatigue. However, intracellular acidosis also acts to preserve muscle excitability when muscles become depolarized, which occurs with working ..
- Free radicals and muscle fatigue: Of ROS, canaries, and the IOCMichael B Reid
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 44:169-79. 2008..in humans, quadrupeds, and isolated muscle preparations indicate that antioxidant pretreatment can delay muscle fatigue. In humans, this phenomenon is best defined for N-acetylcysteine (NAC), a reduced thiol donor that supports ..
- Effect of lower-extremity muscle fatigue on postural controlPhillip A Gribble
Athletic Training Research Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:589-92. 2004..To examine the effects of fatigue of the lower extremity on postural control during single-leg stance...
- Muscle fatigue: what, why and how it influences muscle functionRoger M Enoka
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0354, USA
J Physiol 586:11-23. 2008Much is known about the physiological impairments that can cause muscle fatigue. It is known that fatigue can be caused by many different mechanisms, ranging from the accumulation of metabolites within muscle fibres to the generation of ..
- Neural and muscular adjustments following repeated running sprintsStephane Perrey
Laboratoire EA 2991 Efficience et Déficience Motrices, UFR STAPS, Faculté des Sciences du Sports, Universite Montpellier 1, 700 Avenue du Pic Saint Loup, 34090, Montpellier, France
Eur J Appl Physiol 109:1027-36. 2010..Peak tetanus at 20 and 80 Hz were 17 and 8% lower (P < 0.05) in the fatigued state, respectively. Acute muscle fatigue induced by RS running exercise is mainly peripheral as the short-term (30 min) recovery pattern of plantar ..
- Alteration of the position sense at the ankle induced by muscular fatigue in humansNicholas Forestier
Division de kinesiologie, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Med Sci Sports Exerc 34:117-22. 2002..The purpose of this study was to investigate how an isometric exhaustion test affects the position sense at the ankle using an active matching task...
- Effect of age on muscle functions investigated with surface electromyographyRoberto Merletti
Laboratorio di Ingegneria del Sistema Neuromuscolare, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Politecnico di Torino, Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24, Torino 10129, Italy
Muscle Nerve 25:65-76. 2002..electromyographic (EMG) signal as a means of defining age-related central and peripheral mechanisms affecting muscle fatigue. Spectral and temporal variables of the surface EMG signal were studied during voluntary isometric ..
- Central and peripheral fatigue kinetics during exhaustive constant-load cyclingN Decorte
Exercise Research Unit, University Hospital and HP2 Laboratory, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France
Scand J Med Sci Sports 22:381-91. 2012..47 at 100 Hz, all P≤0.001). We conclude that peripheral fatigue develops early during constant-load intense cycling and is compensated by additional motor drive, while central fatigue appears to be associated with task failure...
- The development of peripheral fatigue and short-term recovery during self-paced high-intensity exerciseChristian Froyd
UCT MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, Department of Human Biology, University of Cape Town, Sports Science Instituteof South Africa, Boundary Road, Newlands, 7925, South Africa
J Physiol 591:1339-46. 2013..Significant recovery in skeletal muscle function occurs within the first 1-2 min after exercise, showing that previous studies may have underestimated the extent to which peripheral fatigue develops during exercise...
- Effect of acute hypoxia on respiratory muscle fatigue in healthy humansSamuel Verges
HP2 laboratory INSERM ERI17, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble University Hospital, Grenoble, France
Respir Res 11:109. 2010..Hence, we assessed the effect of different blood oxygenation level on isolated hyperpnoea-induced inspiratory and expiratory muscle fatigue.
- Comparison of potentiated and unpotentiated twitches as an index of muscle fatigueThomas J Kufel
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo, New York 14215 USA
Muscle Nerve 25:438-44. 2002..005). The within-subject within-day coefficient of variation was 7.5 plus minus 0.5% for TwQu and 5.6 plus minus 0.9% for TwQp. Thus, TwQp is reproducible and is superior to TwQu for detecting early muscle fatigue.
- Evaluation of measurement strategies to increase the reliability of EMG indices to assess back muscle fatigue and recoveryC LaRiviere
Occupational Health and Safety Research Institute Robert Sauvé, Quebec, Montreal, Canada
J Electromyogr Kinesiol 12:91-102. 2002..74-0.79; SEM range: 21-26%). The assessment of back muscle impairments through EMG analysis necessitates the use of multiple electrodes to achieve reliable results...
- Muscle fatigue--from motor units to clinical symptomsRoger M Enoka
Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0354, USA
J Biomech 45:427-33. 2012..examples of these limitations that were discussed in the 2011 Muybridge Award lecture: motor unit types and muscle fatigue, myoelectric manifestations of fatigue, and fatigue and fatigability...
- Re-weighting of somatosensory inputs from the foot and the ankle for controlling posture during quiet standing following trunk extensor muscles fatigueNicolas Vuillerme
Laboratoire TIMC IMAG, Faculte de Medecine, UMR UJF CNRS 5525, 38706, La Tronche Cedex, France
Exp Brain Res 183:323-7. 2007..This could have implications in clinical and rehabilitative areas...
- Effectiveness of exercise training in patients with COPD: the role of muscle fatigueChris Burtin
Faculty of Kinesiology and Rehabilitation Sciences, Dept of Rehabilitation Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Eur Respir J 40:338-44. 2012..Patients who develop quadriceps contractile fatigue during exercise training show greater training effects in terms of functional exercise capacity and health-related quality of life...
- Implications of group III and IV muscle afferents for high-intensity endurance exercise performance in humansMarkus Amann
University of Utah, Department of Internal Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
J Physiol 589:5299-309. 2011..Our findings suggest that feedback from group III/IV muscle afferents limits CMD but also minimizes locomotor muscle fatigue development by stimulating adequate ventilatory and circulatory responses to exercise...
- Cerebrovascular responses to incremental exercise during hypobaric hypoxia: effect of oxygenation on maximal performanceAndrew W Subudhi
Department of Biology, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, 1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80918, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H164-71. 2008..Thus cerebral hypoxia appeared to impose a limit to maximal exercise during hypobaric hypoxia (Pi(O(2)) 86 Torr), since its reversal was associated with improved performance...
- Quadriceps fatigue after cycle exercise in patients with COPD compared with healthy control subjectsM Jeffery Mador
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, 14215, USA
Chest 123:1104-11. 2003..The purpose of this study was to determine whether the degree of fatigue elicited by cycle exercise was greater in patients with COPD compared with matched control subjects...
- Fatigue-sensitive afferents inhibit extensor but not flexor motoneurons in humansPeter G Martin
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, University of New South Wales, Randwick, New South Wales 2031, Australia
J Neurosci 26:4796-802. 2006..The more pronounced inhibitory influence of these afferents on extensors suggests that these muscles may require greater cortical drive to generate force during fatigue...
- Severity of arterial hypoxaemia affects the relative contributions of peripheral muscle fatigue to exercise performance in healthy humansMarkus Amann
University of Wisconsin Medical School, John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, Madison, WI, USA
J Physiol 581:389-403. 2007....
- Physical fitness and performance. Fatigue responses during repeated sprints matched for initial mechanical outputAlberto Mendez-Villanueva
School of Human Movement and Exercise Science, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:2219-25. 2007..To compare muscle fatigability during two sets of repeated cycling sprints matched for initial mechanical output in a nonfatigued and fatigued state...
- Effects of electrical stimulation parameters on fatigue in skeletal muscleAshraf S Gorgey
Spinal Cord Injury and Disorders Center, Hunter Holmes McGuire VAMC, Richmond, VA 23249, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 39:684-92. 2009..Experimental laboratory study...
- Oxidative stress biomarkers responses to physical overtraining: implications for diagnosisKonstantinos Margonis
Department of Physical Education and Sports Science, Democritus University of Thrace, Komotini 69100, and Department of Internal Medicine, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece
Free Radic Biol Med 43:901-10. 2007..In conclusion, overtraining induces a marked response of oxidative stress biomarkers which, in some cases, was proportional to training load, suggesting that they may serve as a tool for overtraining diagnosis...
- Muscular fatigue increases signal-dependent noise during isometric force productionOlivier Missenard
EA 2991, University Montpellier 1, 700 av du Pic Saint Loup, 34090 Montpellier, France
Neurosci Lett 437:154-7. 2008....
- Effect of 830 nm low-level laser therapy in exercise-induced skeletal muscle fatigue in humansErnesto Cesar Pinto Leal Junior
Laboratory of Human Movement LMH, University of Caxias do Sul, Rua Francisco Getúlio Vargas, 1130, Caxias do Sul, 95070 560, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Lasers Med Sci 24:425-31. 2009This study aimed to investigate the effect of 830 nm low-level laser therapy (LLLT) on skeletal muscle fatigue. Ten healthy male professional volleyball players entered a crossover randomized double-blinded placebo-controlled trial...
- Differences in quadriceps muscle strength and fatigue between lean and obese subjectsNicola A Maffiuletti
Neuromuscular Research Laboratory, Schulthess Klinik, Lengghalde 2, 8008, Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:51-9. 2007..Quadriceps muscle fatigue was quantified as the (percent) torque loss during a voluntary isokinetic (50 maximal contractions at 180 ..
- Muscle fatigue: from observations in humans to underlying mechanisms studied in intact single muscle fibresNicolas Place
Institute of Movement Sciences and Sport Medicine, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Geneve, Rue du conseil général 10, 1205, Geneve, Switzerland
Eur J Appl Physiol 110:1-15. 2010Prolonged dynamic exercise and sustained isometric contractions induce muscle fatigue, as manifested by decreased performance and a reduction in the maximum voluntary contraction force...
- A comparison of pain level and entropy changes following core stability exercise interventionTaero Lee
Department of Healthcare Management, College of Health Science, Korea University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Med Sci Monit 17:CR362-8. 2011....
- The effect of aging on skeletal-muscle recovery from exercise: possible implications for aging athletesJames Fell
School of Human Life Sciences, University of Tasmania, Launceston, Australia
J Aging Phys Act 16:97-115. 2008..Future research should use an exercise intervention representative of a normal training stimulus and take the physical activity level of the participants into account...
- The absence of eye muscle fatigue indicates that the nervous system compensates for non-motor disturbances of oculomotor functionMario Prsa
Department of Cognitive Neurology, University of Tubingen, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
J Neurosci 30:15834-42. 2010..The existence of this supplementary mechanism forces a reassessment of traditional views of cerebellum-dependent motor adaptation...
- 31P-NMR observation of free ADP during fatiguing, repetitive contractions of murine skeletal muscle lacking AK1Chad R Hancock
Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, College of Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 288:C1298-304. 2005..Remarkably, the AK1(-/-) and WT muscles exhibited similar fatigue profiles. Our findings suggest that skeletal muscle is surprisingly tolerant to a large increase in ADP and by extension, a decline in energy from ATP...
- Changes in running kinematics, kinetics, and spring-mass behavior over a 24-h runJean Benoit Morin
Universite de Lyon, Saint Etienne, France
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:829-36. 2011..This study investigated the changes in running mechanics and spring-mass behavior over a 24-h treadmill run (24TR)...
- The effect of carbohydrate ingestion on the interleukin-6 response to a 90-minute run time trialPaula Robson-Ansley
School of Psychology and Sport Sciences, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Int J Sports Physiol Perform 4:186-94. 2009..3+/-1.9 pg.mL(-1) and 6.6+/-3.0 pg.mL(-1), respectively; p=.0313), this difference was considered physiologically too small to mediate the improvement in time trial performance...
- From catastrophe to complexity: a novel model of integrative central neural regulation of effort and fatigue during exercise in humansT D Noakes
Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, University of Cape Town, Newlands, South Africa
Br J Sports Med 38:511-4. 2004..A revolutionary theory is presented that proposes that exercise performance is regulated by the central nervous system specifically to ensure that catastrophic physiological failure does not occur during normal exercise in humans...
- Effect of exercise-induced arterial hypoxemia on quadriceps muscle fatigue in healthy humansLee M Romer
Centre for Sports Medicine and Human Performance, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UK
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R365-75. 2006The effect of exercise-induced arterial hypoxemia (EIAH) on quadriceps muscle fatigue was assessed in 11 male endurance-trained subjects [peak O2 uptake (VO2 peak) = 56.4 +/- 2.8 ml x kg(-1) x min(-1); mean +/- SE]...
- Repeated bout effect on the cytoskeletal proteins titin, desmin, and dystrophin in rat skeletal muscleT Maarit Lehti
LIKES Research Center for Sport and Health Sciences, Rautpohjankatu 8, Viveca, Jyvaskyla 40700, Finland
J Muscle Res Cell Motil 28:39-47. 2007..After five sessions increase in mRNA of studied proteins suggest a strong involvement in continuing adaptation to the increased exercise...
- Improvement of diaphragm and limb muscle isotonic contractile performance by K+ channel blockadeErik van Lunteren
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Louis Stokes Cleveland Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Neuroeng Rehabil 7:1. 2010....
- The effect of inspiratory muscles fatigue on postural control in people with and without recurrent low back painLotte Janssens
Musculoskeletal Research Unit, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Leuven K U Leuven, Tervuursevest 101, Leuven, Belgium
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1088-94. 2010..A 2-group experimental design...
- Muscle weakness and atrophy are associated with decreased regenerative capacity and changes in mTOR signaling in skeletal muscles of venerable (18-24-month-old) dystrophic mdx miceE Mouisel
INSERM U974 CNRS UMR 7215, 105 bd de l Hopital, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, F 75013 France
Muscle Nerve 41:809-18. 2010..Progressive muscle weakness and atrophy in mdx mouse muscle is associated with a decline in regenerative potential and changes in activation of the mTOR signaling pathway...
- Locomotor muscle fatigue modifies central motor drive in healthy humans and imposes a limitation to exercise performanceMarkus Amann
The John Rankin Laboratory of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Medical School, 4245 Medical Science Center, 1300 University Avenue, Madison, WI 53706, USA
J Physiol 586:161-73. 2008We asked whether the central effects of fatiguing locomotor muscle fatigue exert an inhibitory influence on central motor drive to regulate the total degree of peripheral fatigue development...
- Contractile leg fatigue after cycle exercise: a factor limiting exercise in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDidier Saey
Centre de Pneumologie, Hopital Laval, 2725 Chemin Ste Foy, Ste Foy, PQ, G1V 4G5 Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:425-30. 2003..These tests were preceded by nebulization of placebo or 500 microg of ipratropium bromide. Muscle fatigue was defined as a postexercise reduction in quadriceps twitch force of more than 15% of the resting value...
- Diurnal variations of plasma homocysteine, total antioxidant status, and biological markers of muscle injury during repeated sprint: effect on performance and muscle fatigue--a pilot studyOmar Hammouda
Research Laboratory, Sport Performance Optimization, National Centre of Medicine and Science in Sport, Tunis, Tunisia
Chronobiol Int 28:958-67. 2011..to establish a relationship between diurnal variation of these biomarkers and the daytime rhythm of power and muscle fatigue during repeated sprint ability (RSA) exercise...
- Relevance of assessing quadriceps endurance in patients with COPDC Coronell
Muscle and Respiratory Research Unit, Municipal Institute of Medical Research, Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital del Mar, CEXS Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Eur Respir J 24:129-36. 2004..Task failure occurred only in COPD patients and was due to muscle fatigue, since limiting symptoms were associated with a decrease in the median frequency of quadriceps ..
- The cross-bridge cycle and skeletal muscle fatigueRobert H Fitts
Dept of Biological Sciences, Wehr Life Sciences Bldg, Marquette Univ, P O Box 1881, Milwaukee, WI 53201 1881, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:551-8. 2008..In vitro, reactive oxygen species reduce myofibrillar Ca2+ sensitivity; however, the importance of this mechanism during in vivo exercise is unknown...
- Multichannel surface EMG: basic aspects and clinical utilityMachiel J Zwarts
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Institute of Neurology, University Medical Center Nijmegen, PO Box 9101, NL 6500HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Muscle Nerve 28:1-17. 2003..We conclude that multichannel sEMG adds unique, and sometimes indispensable, spatial information to our knowledge of the motor unit...
- Lactic acid and exercise performance : culprit or friend?Simeon P Cairns
Institute of Sport and Recreation Research New Zealand, Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
Sports Med 36:279-91. 2006..accumulation of lactic acid, or in reality lactate and/or hydrogen (H+) ions, is a major cause of skeletal muscle fatigue, i.e. decline of muscle force or power output leading to impaired exercise performance...
- Recruitment patterns in human skeletal muscle during electrical stimulationChris M Gregory
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Florida, Room 1142, HPNP Bldg, 101 S Newell Dr, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Phys Ther 85:358-64. 2005..synthesizes the evidence that supports the contention that this recruitment pattern contributes to increased muscle fatigue when compared with voluntary actions...
- Muscle fatigue: lactic acid or inorganic phosphate the major cause?Hakan Westerblad
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
News Physiol Sci 17:17-21. 2002..acidosis due mainly to lactic acid accumulation has been regarded as the most important cause of skeletal muscle fatigue. Recent studies on mammalian muscle, however, show little direct effect of acidosis on muscle function at ..
- Multifidi muscles median frequency before and after spinal stabilization exercisesPaul S Sung
Iowa Spine Research Center, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1313-8. 2003..To determine changes in multifidi muscle endurance and functional status after a 4-week spinal stabilization exercise program for patients presenting with chronic low back dysfunction (LBD)...
- Muscle-derived ROS and thiol regulation in muscle fatigueLeonardo F Ferreira
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, 800 Rose St, Lexington, KY 40536 0298, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:853-60. 2008..that supports glutathione synthesis, has been shown to lessen oxidation of cellular constituents and delay muscle fatigue. In humans, NAC pretreatment improves performance of limb and respiratory muscles during fatigue protocols and ..
- Evidence for a supraspinal contribution to human muscle fatigueJanet L Taylor
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute and the University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 33:400-5. 20061. Muscle fatigue can be defined as any exercise-induced loss of ability to produce force with a muscle or muscle group. It involves processes at all levels of the motor pathway between the brain and the muscle...
- The response to paired motor cortical stimuli is abolished at a spinal level during human muscle fatigueChris J McNeil
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, University of New South Wales, Barker Street, Randwick, New South Wales 2031, Australia
J Physiol 587:5601-12. 2009..The spinal mechanisms exposed here may contribute to the development of central fatigue in human muscles...
- Comparison of electrical and magnetic stimulations to assess quadriceps muscle functionSamuel Verges
Joseph Fourier University, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:701-10. 2009..46-0.82, P = 0.001-0.03). We conclude that ENS and MNS provide similar quadriceps muscle function assessment, while Fpaired(10:100) is a better index than T2(10:100) of low- to high-frequency fatigue of the quadriceps in vivo...
- Age- and gender-related changes in contractile properties of non-atrophied EDL muscleStephen Chan
School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
PLoS ONE 5:e12345. 2010..However, it is not entirely clear whether these changes in contractile properties can occur before there is significant atrophy, and whether males and females are affected differently...
- A mathematical model of fatigue in skeletal muscle force contractionPaul R Shorten
AgResearch Limited, Ruakura Research Centre, Private Bag, 3123, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Muscle Res Cell Motil 28:293-313. 2007The ability for muscle to repeatedly generate force is limited by fatigue. The cellular mechanisms behind muscle fatigue are complex and potentially include breakdown at many points along the excitation-contraction pathway...
- Symptoms and quadriceps fatigability after walking and cycling in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseWilliam D C Man
Respiratory Muscle Laboratory, Guy s King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College Hospital, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9PJ UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:562-7. 2003..01; potentiated p = 0.003). Leg effort is an infrequent symptom after walking in COPD, and low frequency fatigue of the quadriceps is an infrequent feature of incremental walking...
- Effects of muscle fatigue induced by low-level clenching on experimental muscle pain and resting jaw muscle activity: gender differencesTetsurou Torisu
Center for Sensory Motor Interaction, Laboratory for Human Experimental Pain Research, Aalborg University, Fredrik Bajers Vej 7 D 3, 9220 Aalborg, Denmark
Exp Brain Res 174:566-74. 2006The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of jaw-muscle fatigue evoked by low-level tooth-clenching followed by the induction of experimental muscle pain by injection of glutamate on the perception of fatigue and pain and ..
- Upper trapezius muscle mechanomyographic and electromyographic activity in humans during low force fatiguing and non-fatiguing contractionsPascal Madeleine
Centre for Sensory Motor Interaction, Aalborg University, Fredrik Bajers Vej 7, Bldg D 3, 9220 Aalborg, Denmark
Eur J Appl Physiol 87:327-36. 2002..For fatiguing contractions, normalisation of the EMG and MMG to some extent can lead to a misleading interpretation. Assessment of the upper trapezius muscle by means of MMG may be valuable in ergonomics...
- Central and peripheral fatigue during passive and exercise-induced hyperthermiaJulien D Périard
ASPETAR, Research and Education Centre, Qatar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital, Doha, Qatar
Med Sci Sports Exerc 43:1657-65. 2011..The influence of cardiovascular strain in limiting endurance performance in the heat was also examined...
- Intensity of eccentric exercise, shift of optimum angle, and the magnitude of repeated-bout effectTrevor C Chen
Department of Physical Education, National Chiayi University, Taiwan
J Appl Physiol 102:992-9. 2007..05) reduced changes in criterion measures following ECC2 compared with the ECC1 100% bout. We conclude that the repeated-bout effect was not dependent on the shift of optimum angle...
- Contractile fatigue, muscle morphometry, and blood lactate in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDidier Saey
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Laval, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de l Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:1109-15. 2005..We conclude that changes in muscle enzymatic profile and capillarization with a greater reliance on glycolytic metabolism during exercise are associated with contractile fatigue in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
- Factors responsible for force steadiness impairment with fatigueOlivier Missenard
Motor Efficiency and Deficiency Laboratory, University Montpellier 1, EA 2991, 700 Avenue du Pic Saint Loup, 34090 Montpellier, France
Muscle Nerve 40:1019-32. 2009..We conclude that the impairment of force steadiness with fatigue is mainly due to the increase in muscle activation at moderate forces, but there are other central sources of force fluctuation present at low force levels...
- Neuromuscular function after muscle fatigue in Charcot-Marie-Tooth type 1A patientsFederica Menotti
Department of Human Movement and Sport Sciences, University of Rome Foro Italico, Piazza Lauro de Bosis 6, 00135 Rome, Italy
Muscle Nerve 46:434-9. 2012..The effect of recovery time on neuromuscular function after a fatiguing task was compared in both the upper and lower limbs between patients with Charcot-Marie-Tooth type 1A (CMT1A) and healthy individuals...
- Functional investigations of exercising muscle: a noninvasive magnetic resonance spectroscopy-magnetic resonance imaging approachD Bendahan
Centre de Resonance Magnetique Biologique et Medicale, UMR CNRS 6612, Faculte de Medecine de Marseille, 27 Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13005 Marseille, France
Cell Mol Life Sci 61:1001-15. 2004b>Muscle fatigue, which is defined as the decline in muscle performance during exercise, may occur at different sites along the pathway from the central nervous system through to the intramuscular contractile machinery...
- Influence of fatigue in neuromuscular control of spinal stabilityKevin P Granata
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Hum Factors 46:81-91. 2004..Potential applications of this research include a biomechanical tool for the design of administrative ergonomic controls in manual materials handling industries...
- Neuromuscular fatigue in healthy muscle: underlying factors and adaptation mechanismsS Boyas
EA 4334, UFR STAPS de Nantes, Laboratoire Motricite, Interactions, Performance, Universite de Nantes, 25 bis, boulevard Guy Mollet, 44322 Nantes Cedex 3, France
Ann Phys Rehabil Med 54:88-108. 2011..This review also addresses the literature that focuses on the mechanisms responsible for the adaption to neuromuscular fatigue...
- Effects of different pedalling techniques on muscle fatigue and mechanical efficiency during prolonged cyclingJ Theurel
Institute of Movement Sciences E J Marey, UMR CNRS 6233, Aix Marseille University, Parc Scientifique et Technologique de Luminy, Marseille, France
Scand J Med Sci Sports 22:714-21. 2012..0 ± 1.9% vs PT: 20.2 ± 1.9%). Although changes in muscular coordination pattern with feedback did not seem to influence GE, it could be mainly responsible for the reduction of muscle fatigue after prolonged cycling.
- Assessment of the reliability of central and peripheral fatigue after sustained maximal voluntary contraction of the quadriceps muscleNicolas Place
INSERM ERM 207 Motricité Plasticité, Faculte des Sciences du Sport, Universite de Bourgogne, BP 27877, 21078 Dijon, France
Muscle Nerve 35:486-95. 2007..These findings can be useful in the choice of the parameters describing central and peripheral fatigue of the quadriceps muscle in future studies...
- Reflex and intrinsic changes induced by fatigue of human elbow extensor musclesL Q Zhang
Sensory Motor Performance Program, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Neurophysiol 86:1086-94. 2001..In short, the reduced contribution from intrinsic stiffness to joint torque was compensated by increased contribution from dynamic stretch reflexes after fatigue...
- Effects of dietary supplementation with vitamins C and E on muscle function during and after eccentric contractions in humansA Shafat
Department of Physical Education and Sport Sciences, University of Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Eur J Appl Physiol 93:196-202. 2004..These data suggest that prior supplementation with dietary antioxidants ameliorates muscle functional decrements subsequent to eccentric muscle contraction...
- Changes in postural stability with fatigue of lower extremity frontal and sagittal plane moversMahyar Salavati
University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Gait Posture 26:214-8. 2007..Biodex Stability System was used to assess anterior/posterior and medial/lateral stability before and after muscle fatigue. Repeated measures ANOVAs revealed that fatigue was associated with a significant increase in all stability ..
- Effectiveness of post-match recovery strategies in rugby playersN D Gill
Waikato Institute of Technology, School of Sport and Exercise Science, Hamilton, New Zealand
Br J Sports Med 40:260-3. 2006..To examine the effectiveness of four interventions on the rate and magnitude of muscle damage recovery, as measured by creatine kinase (CK)...
- Effect of light finger touch on postural sway after lower-limb muscular fatigueNicolas Vuillerme
Universite Joseph Fourier Grenoble 1, France
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1560-3. 2003..To investigate whether a light finger touch can compensate for the increased postural sway induced by lower-limb muscular fatigue...
- Skeletal muscle fatigue in long-distance runners, sprinters and untrained men after repeated drop jumps performed at maximal intensityA Skurvydas
Laboratory of Human Motorics, Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, Lithuanian Academy of Physical Education, Sporto 6, LT 3029 Kaunas, Lithuania
Scand J Med Sci Sports 12:34-9. 2002....
- Interleukin-6 and its mRNA responses in exercise and recovery: relationship to muscle glycogenJ E Gusba
Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
Scand J Med Sci Sports 18:77-85. 2008..05) and 40% in the carbohydrate and water trials, respectively. Therefore, the declining IL-6 mRNA and IL-6 plasma concentrations during recovery were not related to carbohydrate availability or changes in glycogen...
- Impact of varying pulse frequency and duration on muscle torque production and fatigueChris M Gregory
Brain Rehabilitation Research Center, North Florida South Georgia Veterans Health System Department of Physical Therapy, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Muscle Nerve 35:504-9. 2007..These data demonstrate the ability to predictably control torque output by simultaneously controlling pulse frequency and duration and suggest the need to minimize stimulation frequency to control fatigue...
- Preliminary evaluation of a controlled-brake orthosis for FES-aided gaitMichael Goldfarb
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 11:241-8. 2003..that incorporates a computer-controlled orthosis system has been developed to address the problems of rapid muscle fatigue and poor movement control that are characteristic of FES-aided gait...
- A predictive fatigue model--I: Predicting the effect of stimulation frequency and pattern on fatigueJun Ding
Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Biomechanics and Movement Science, University of Delaware, Newark 19716, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 10:48-58. 2002..In addition, the present models successfully predict the effect of stimulation frequency and pulse pattern on muscle fatigue. The success of our current force- and fatigue-model system suggests its potential use in helping to identify ..
- Muscle fatigue during football match-playThomas Reilly
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Sports Med 38:357-67. 2008..There is also a role for endurance training and for a pacing strategy that optimizes the expenditure of energy during match-play...
- Central excitability does not limit postfatigue voluntary activation of quadriceps femorisJ M Kalmar
Department of Biology, Rm 346, Bethune College, York University, 4700 Keele St, Toronto, ON, Canada M3J 1P3
J Appl Physiol 100:1757-64. 2006..05) at Tlim. However, this was not associated with enhanced maximal voluntary activation during fatigue or recovery, demonstrating that voluntary activation is not limited by central excitability...
- Slower conduction velocity and motor unit discharge frequency are associated with muscle fatigue during isometric exercise in type 1 diabetes mellitusS Almeida
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, Faculty of Health, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3, Canada
Muscle Nerve 37:231-40. 2008..Persons with T1DM had slower conduction velocities and lower MUDF than their controls, which apparently leads to impaired activation of muscle and decreased endurance during isometric fatigue...
- Skeletal Muscle. Ca Release Control Inside the Sarcoplasmic Reticulum.Eduardo Rios; Fiscal Year: 2013..Signals also decay during fatigue -their decay actually causing fatigue-- and in old age. In muscle fatigue, the stores are depleted...
- Prevalence and Impact of Frailty among Dialysis PatientsKirsten L Johansen; Fiscal Year: 2013..The first will extend Dr. Johansen's recent work evaluating the effects of oxidative stress on muscle fatigue to determine whether markers of oxidative stress are also associated with expression of proteins involved in ..
- Planning a Multicenter Trial of PDE5A Inhibition for Duchenne Muscular DystrophyRonald G Victor; Fiscal Year: 2012..clinical trial to determine if the drug tadalafil (Cialis), which has bee shown to improve blood flow and muscle fatigue in mice with muscular dystrophy, could be the first ever treatment to improve exercise tolerance in boys with ..
- CRCNS: Computation-Enabled Adaptive Ventilatory Control SystemRanu Jung; Fiscal Year: 2013..including the need for manual stimulation parameter tuning, and inability to alter stimulation parameters on muscle fatigue or changing metabolic demand...
- POST-EXERCISE ION CHANNEL GENE EXPRESSION BIOMARKERS IN CFSKathleen C Light; Fiscal Year: 2013..Until recently, the peripheral processes involved in sensing muscle fatigue and pain were unknown;however, animal model studies by our group and others have clarified that a complex of ..
- ERalpha and the metabolic syndromeAndrea L Hevener; Fiscal Year: 2013..Indeed our findings show accelerated muscle fatigue and impaired exercise-mediated induction of factors controlling mitochondrial turnover in muscle-specific ER1 ..
- Systems Biology Investigation of Muscle Exercise Metabolism in DiabetesNicola Lai; Fiscal Year: 2013..of metabolic and physiological systems;b) exercise and insulin resistance in skeletal muscle;c) skeletal muscle fatigue and metabolism...
- Electrical Stimulation for Hemiplegic Shoulder PainJohn Chae; Fiscal Year: 2010..ES is delivered at a relatively high frequency between 20 and 35 Hz, which can lead to more rapid onset of muscle fatigue.7 Third, due to stimulation-induced pain and muscle fatigue, an escalating stimulation schedule is needed...
- Fatigability, Gender, and Optimal Stimulation Parameters after Spinal Cord InjuryCHRISTOPHER S BICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Muscle fatigue is a major issue related to the efficacy of neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) to improving activity ..
- Molecular Physiology of CLC Chloride ChannelsTsung Yu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2012..Physiologically, the inhibition of CLC-1's common-gating by ATP is critical for overcoming muscle fatigue. The slow/common-gating mechanism is also pathologically important because mutations that disrupt the common- ..
- A Joint-Coupled Controlled-Brake Orthosis System for Hybrid FES Gait RestorationMichael Goldfarb; Fiscal Year: 2013..Due to the potential of collapse (from muscle fatigue) and the need to guide uncontrolled degrees of freedom, hybrid systems appear to offer the greatest promise ..
- An Exotendon Prosthesis to Improve Walking for Lower Limb AmputeesBRIAN GLAISTER; Fiscal Year: 2012..Lastly, in Specific Aim 4 of Phase II, we will perform a case series to evaluate the ability of the exotendon prosthesis to facilitate walking for amputees with limited abilities to ambulate. ..
- Nox2-Calcium Signaling in Skeletal MuscleGeorge G Rodney; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, it will lay the foundation for the development of targeted antioxidant therapy to combat the deleterious effects of overproduction of ROS seen in muscle fatigue and disease.
- The role of mitochondria in skeletal muscle fatigue caused by cancer chemotherapyLAURA ANN ASHLEY GILLIAM; Fiscal Year: 2013..function and cellular redox state conducted on permeabilized fiber bundles in conjunction with whole muscle fatigue analysis...
- Isoform-specific roles of the Na,K-ATPase in skeletal muscleJerry B Lingrel; Fiscal Year: 2013..activation during contraction;b, Determine the contribution of altered Na,K-ATPase content or function to muscle fatigue and exercise intolerance in heart failure...
- Fetal Programming and Human Physical PerformanceTom Brutsaert; Fiscal Year: 2009..Performance measures will include maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max), muscle strength, muscle fatigue rate, and the onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA) during strenuous exercise...
- Mechanism and function of a novel purinergic signaling cascade in skeletal muscleANDREW ALVIN VOSS; Fiscal Year: 2013..and examining the physiological role of a novel purinergic signaling cascade, the results from the proposed studies will have implications for exercise-related muscle fatigue, muscle disuse, and disorders such as myotonia congenita.
- Respiratory muscle work and oxidative stress in COPD: impact on leg blood flow anMarkus Amann; Fiscal Year: 2011..exercise to examine the effects of both, the reduced work of breathing and the reduced oxidative stress on muscle fatigue in the exercising legs...
- Electromechanical Modeling Approach in Assessing Female SUIYingchun Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2011..these Hypotheses: SA #1: To develop a subject- specific electrophysiological pelvic model based periurethral muscle fatigue assessment (UMFA) technique to minimally invasively and quantitatively assess urethral function in women...
- Work of Breathing and Oxidative Stress in COPD: Impact on Blood Flow and FatigueMarkus Amann; Fiscal Year: 2013..exercise to examine the effects of both, the reduced work of breathing and the reduced oxidative stress on muscle fatigue in the exercising legs...
- Effects of Localized Muscle Fatigue on Risk of Occupational Slips and FallsThurmon E Lockhart; Fiscal Year: 2012..The literature provides convincing arguments that localized muscle fatigue can disrupt the quality of the signal from the periphery for effective balance control during slip ..
- A Neural Prosthesis for the Restoration of Locomotion after Spinal Cord InjuryKEVIN ANDREW MAZUREK; Fiscal Year: 2013..it will produce stimulation patterns which can adapt to perturbations such as slipping, tripping, and muscle fatigue by utilizing the afferent feedback...
- SKELETAL MUSCLE BEHAVIOR IN HEART FAILUREJohn Wilson; Fiscal Year: 1990..failure is due to a reduction in muscle O2 delivery and/or muscle oxidative capacity, and 3) to determine if muscle fatigue is due to muscle lactic acidosis...
- MICROMECHANICS OF RESPIRATORY MUSCLESALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 1999..Furthermore, respiratory muscle fatigue is believed to be the proximate cause of hypercarbic respiratory failure, which causes the death of many ..
- Electromechanical Modeling Approach in Assessing Female SUIYingchun Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..these Hypotheses: SA #1: To develop a subject- specific electrophysiological pelvic model based periurethral muscle fatigue assessment (UMFA) technique to minimally invasively and quantitatively assess urethral function in women...
- Noninvasive assessment of skeletal muscle integrity and function with statin useJill Slade; Fiscal Year: 2009..on mitochondrial function by measuring the change in muscle aerobic capacity primarily with phosphorus NMR and muscle fatigue. Aim 3 will examine the effect of statins on skeletal muscle function including changes in maximal strength ..
- Changes in Control of Movement Timing and Stability With Muscle FatigueJONATHAN DINGWELL; Fiscal Year: 2009..Work-related musculoskeletal injuries have been linked to movement repetition, improper postures, and muscle fatigue. Muscle fatigue and/or the muscle imbalances that result from fatigue may be important as direct causes and/or ..
- TESTOSTERONE EFFECTS ON DIAPHRAGM MUSCLE FATIGUECesar Blanco; Fiscal Year: 2002..Identical AAS treatment of male rats had no effect on DIA muscle fatigue using the same stimulation paradigm...
- NURSING MODEL--RESPIRATORY MUSCLE STRENGTH IN COPDJanet Larson; Fiscal Year: 2001..functional strength of the inspiratory muscles which places them at risk for the development of respiratory muscle fatigue and ventilatory failure and contributes to sensations of dyspnea and ultimately to a decrease in functional ..
- THE BIOMECHANICS OF OCCUPATIONAL SHOULDER INJURIESAndrew Karduna; Fiscal Year: 2001..There is evidence that repetitive motion is associated with muscle fatigue and abnormal shoulder motion, which in turn may lead to damage of the rotator cuff musculature...
- CLASSIFICATION OF TMDS--VALIDITY & UTILITY OF RDC AXIS IThomas Rudy; Fiscal Year: 1999..Validation the Axis I EDPs requires objective evaluation of bite force and masticatory muscle fatigue, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) sounds, dynamic motion analysis of jaw movements, and jaw imaging...
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHYSIOLOGY OF SINGLE MOTOR UNITSPATTI NEMETH; Fiscal Year: 1993This research seeks to understand the metabolic basis of muscle fatigue by examining the quantitative relationship between energy metabolism and fatigability at the level of individual motor units...
- RESPIRATORY SYSTEM MECHANICSALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2002..Respiratory insufficiency is the usual cause of death in many primary neuromuscular disorders. Respiratory muscle fatigue is believed to be a major factor in hypercarbic respiratory failure associated with lung and/or cardiovascular ..
- Drug-Induced Motor Recovery After Spinal Cord InjuryKwaku Nantwi; Fiscal Year: 2005..First, we will focus in on selective peripherally-mediated mechanisms that can minimize respiratory muscle fatigue that may be attendant to prolonged methylxanthine (theophylline) use...
- DIAPHRAGM ADAPTATIONS TO CHRONIC RESISTIVE LOADINGDavid Prezant; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract): Long-term goal: In patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases (COPD), respiratory muscle fatigue resistance must be increased to maintain ventilation in the face of chronic respiratory resistive loading (..
- Role of MG29 in E-C Coupling of Striated MusclesJianjie Ma; Fiscal Year: 2006..A distinct phenotype of mg29(-/-) mice is their increased susceptibility to muscle fatigue, which may be linked to an altered Ca signaling in the mutant muscle...
- FUNCTIONAL TREATMENT APPROACH TO STRESS INCONTINENCEDiane Borello France; Fiscal Year: 1999..we will determine exercise progression using a protocol that individualizes exercise prescription based on muscle fatigue. At each weekly assessment, we will adjust the subject's HEP accordingly...
- "Strength training, Self-efficacy, and Function in Blacks with Prostate Cancer."Bernard Hurley; Fiscal Year: 2009..impact of a high-quality ST intervention program on muscle size, muscle function, muscle and fat composition, muscle fatigue, fatigue perception, blood proteins associated with PCa, quality of life, willingness to continue to ST and ..
- Regulation of cardiac ion channel function via allosteric modulatorsAndrew Marks; Fiscal Year: 2007..Skeletal muscle fatigue is increased and RyR1 are PKA hyperphosphorylated and depleted of calstabin1 in HF, and JTV519 induces ..
- FREE RADICALS AND RESPIRATORY LOADINGGERALD SUPINSKI; Fiscal Year: 1999..radicals are generated in the diaphragm during strenuous contractions and may contribute to the development of muscle fatigue. Previous experiments have been limited, however, to the investigation of either electrically induced fatigue ..
- EXERCISE INTOLERANCE IN CONGESTIVE HEART FAILUREJOHN MINOTTI; Fiscal Year: 1993..The aims of the present proposal are: (1) to determine whether the mechanism of muscle fatigue is impaired central drive or altered muscle function; (2) to determine whether CHF patients exhibit the same ..
- CONTROL OF MYOSIN TYPES IN INDIVIDUAL MUSCLE FIBERSNeal Rubinstein; Fiscal Year: 1993..be implicated in the genesis or symptomotology of muscle diseases such as floppy infant syndrome, respiratory muscle fatigue, or hypo- and hyperthyroidism...
- Calmodulin regulation of SR calcium release channelsBradley Fruen; Fiscal Year: 2007..regulatory proteins is postulated to contribute to impaired contractile performance during oxidative stress, muscle fatigue, and heart disease...
- WORKLOAD EFFECT ON TASK PERFORMANCE ON INCLINED SURFACEAmit Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 1999..demanding tasks on inclined/elevated surfaces 2) to determine the need of visual cues to minimize excessive postural muscle fatigue and provide a safe upright balance maintenance while working on an inclined and/or elevated surfaces.
- CARDIAC ASSIST DEVICES ENERGIZED BY SKELETAL MUSCLELarry Stephenson; Fiscal Year: 2000..that might be possible, to an SMV that pumped blood in the circulation for several hours indicating that muscle fatigue was no longer a major obstacle, to an SMV that has pumped blood effectively in the circulation beyond four ..
- CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM AND MUSCLE FATIGUEGuang Yue; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the Applicant's Abstract): Muscle fatigue has been studied for over a century...
- PHYSIOLOGIC BASIS OF MUSCLE FUNCTIONAL MRIRONALD MEYER; Fiscal Year: 2005..involvement in various fatigue syndromes: first, is the intensity of the BOLD response in motor cortical areas quantitatively dependent on force development, and second, how is this central response altered by peripheral muscle fatigue?
- Effects of N-acetylcystein on Muscle Fatigue in ESRDKIRSTEN JOHANSEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..We recently reported that ESRD patients experience approximately three-fold greater muscle fatigue of the lower extremities during intermittent submaximal contractions than healthy sedentary control subjects, ..
- Effects of Repetitive Work on Fatigue of Long DurationSTEVEN LEHMAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Muscle fatigue of long duration, also known as low frequency fatigue, increases with exposure and can persist for more than ..
- FATIGUE OF SEGMENTAL MOTOR MECHANISMSDOUGLAS STUART; Fiscal Year: 2000..It is well established that in a variety of normal and pathophysiological conditions, the manifestation of muscle fatigue is attributable to mechanisms that extend from the forebrain of the central nervous system (CNS) to the ..
- NOVEL CREATINE SUPPLEMENTS FOR ENHANCING MUSCLE FUNCTONHUAIYUN HAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..allow increased use of creatine supplement to augment and complement existing treatments for conditions where muscle fatigue and weakness are a problem...
- DIAPHRAGM ADAPTATIONS TO RESPIRATORY TRAININGDavid Prezant; Fiscal Year: 1992Respiratory muscle fatigue and mechanical ventilator dependency contribute significantly to the morbidity and mortality of patients suffereing from chronic pulmonary disease...
- Redox Control of Sarcoplasmic Reticulum Calcium ReleaseJONATHAN ABRAMSON; Fiscal Year: 2006..Oxidative stress results from cardiac ischemia and reperfusion, and in skeletal muscle results in muscle fatigue. The molecular mechanism by which the SR controls and responds to changes in its redox environment, and how ..
- NEUROPHYSIOLOGICAL CONSEQUENCES OF LUMBAR FACET MOVEMENTJoel Pickar; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- RESPIRATORY MUSCLE ENERGETICS DURING EXERCISEMurli Manohar; Fiscal Year: 1992Recent reports of inspiratory muscle fatigue in athletes following both high-intensity short-term as well as prolonged endurance exercise have focussed our attention on the question "whether the metabolic O2 requirements of the ..
- EFFECT OF LOCALIZED FATIGUE ON POSTURAL STABILITYRICHARD WICKSTROM; Fiscal Year: 1990..Localized muscle fatigue is an important risk factor for slips and falls in the high risk construction and manufacturing industries, ..
- FUNCTIONAL CARDIAC ASSISTANCE WITH SKELETAL MUSCLE POUCHStephen Badylak; Fiscal Year: 1990..skeletal muscles would most efficiently assist the circulation has not been determined, and the problems of muscle fatigue and lack of a suitable pulse generator to stimulate and coordinate skeletal muscle work are limitations to ..
- SKELETAL MUSCLE FUNCTION IN AGINGJane Kent Braun; Fiscal Year: 1999..Year 1); 2) to test the hypothesis that muscle oxidative capacity is reduced in aging (Year 2); 3) to examine muscle fatigue in elderly and young subjects (Year 3); and 4) to determine the effects of exercise training on muscle ..
- Weight-loss, Exercise, and Oxidative Capacity in ObesityMatthew Harber; Fiscal Year: 2005..factors and target proteins that regulate muscle oxidative metabolism, and assess changes in whole-muscle fatigue resistance after weight loss in pre-diabetic obese women...
- SUDDEN LOADING AND FATIGUE EFFECTS ON THE HUMAN SPINEDaniel Baker; Fiscal Year: 1990..The data will be analyzed and compared to current bio-mechanical models. Muscle fatigue will be induced through a series of graded exercises for three levels of fatigue (rested, moderate fatigue, ..
- Neuromuscular Fatigue in Older AdultsSandra Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2008..Recent studies indicate that older adults experience greater muscle fatigue than young adults during these more functionally relevant tasks...
- Task Dependence of Muscle Fatigue in Older AdultsSandra Hunter; Fiscal Year: 2005..However, the influence of age-related changes within the neuromuscular system on the task-dependent nature of muscle fatigue is unexplored in older adults...
- MUSCULOSKELETAL PLASTICITY AFTER SPINAL CORD INJURYRICHARD SHIELDS; Fiscal Year: 2003..Associated with muscle fatigue is a severe loss of bone density...