- Autophagy and metabolism
Joshua D Rabinowitz
Department of Chemistry and Lewis Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics, 241 Carl Icahn Laboratory, Washington Road, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Science 330:1344-8. 2010
..The resulting breakdown products are inputs to cellular metabolism, through which they are used to generate energy and to build new proteins and membranes...
- The androgen receptor fuels prostate cancer by regulating central metabolism and biosynthesis
Charles E Massie
CRUK Cambridge Research Institute, Cambridge, UK
EMBO J 30:2719-33. 2011
..cancer and regulates cancer cell growth via its unexpected role as a hormone-dependent modulator of anabolic metabolism. In conclusion, it is possible to progress from transcriptional studies to a promising therapeutic target by ..
- Circadian integration of metabolism and energetics
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Science 330:1349-54. 2010
..Here, we review advances in understanding the interrelationship among circadian disruption, sleep deprivation, obesity, and diabetes and implications for rational therapeutics for these conditions...
- Analysis of omics data with genome-scale models of metabolism
Daniel R Hyduke
Department of Bioengineering, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0412, USA
Mol Biosyst 9:167-74. 2013
..This improvement is largely due to knowledge bases providing a validated biological context for interpreting the data...
- Network biology: understanding the cell's functional organization
Albert Laszlo Barabasi
Department of Physics, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
Nat Rev Genet 5:101-13. 2004
- Influence of metabolism on epigenetics and disease
William G Kaelin
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cell 153:56-69. 2013
..remove such chemical modifications are known, or might be suspected, to be sensitive to changes in intracellular metabolism. This knowledge provides a conceptual foundation for understanding how mutations in the metabolic enzymes SDH, ..
- A general model for the origin of allometric scaling laws in biology
G B West
Theoretical Division, T 8, Mail Stop B285, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Science 276:122-6. 1997
..More generally, the model predicts structural and functional properties of vertebrate cardiovascular and respiratory systems, plant vascular systems, insect tracheal tubes, and other distribution networks...
- Reactome: a knowledgebase of biological pathways
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 33:D428-32. 2005
..model allows us to represent many diverse processes in the human system, including the pathways of intermediary metabolism, regulatory pathways, and signal transduction, and high-level processes, such as the cell cycle...
- The nexus of chromatin regulation and intermediary metabolism
Gladstone Institutes, University of California, San Francisco, California 94941, USA
Nature 502:489-98. 2013
..Numerous connections between products of intermediary metabolism and chromatin proteins have recently been identified...
- Myocardial substrate metabolism in the normal and failing heart
William C Stanley
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4970, USA
Physiol Rev 85:1093-129. 2005
The alterations in myocardial energy substrate metabolism that occur in heart failure, and the causes and consequences of these abnormalities, are poorly understood...
- HMDB: the Human Metabolome Database
David S Wishart
Department of Computing Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E8
Nucleic Acids Res 35:D521-6. 2007
..HMDB) is currently the most complete and comprehensive curated collection of human metabolite and human metabolism data in the world...
- The systems biology markup language (SBML): a medium for representation and exchange of biochemical network models
Control and Dynamical Systems, MC 107 81, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Bioinformatics 19:524-31. 2003
..Molecular biotechnology now makes it possible to build elaborate systems models, but the systems biology community needs information standards if models are to be shared, evaluated and developed cooperatively...
- Evaluation of the orthogonal projection on latent structure model limitations caused by chemical shift variability and improved visualization of biomarker changes in 1H NMR spectroscopic metabonomic studies
Biological Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Anal Chem 77:517-26. 2005
- Hierarchical organization of modularity in metabolic networks
Department of Physics, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
Science 297:1551-5. 2002
..Within Escherichia coli, the uncovered hierarchical modularity closely overlaps with known metabolic functions. The identified network architecture may be generic to system-level cellular organization...
- Perinatal exposure to high-fat diet programs energy balance, metabolism and behavior in adulthood
Elinor L Sullivan
Department of Neuroscience, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Neuroendocrinology 93:1-8. 2011
..The perinatal environment plays an important role in programming many aspects of physiology and behavior including metabolism, body weight set point, energy balance regulation and predisposition to mental health-related disorders such as ..
- Global reconstruction of the human metabolic network based on genomic and bibliomic data
Natalie C Duarte
Bioengineering Department, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0412, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:1777-82. 2007
b>Metabolism is a vital cellular process, and its malfunction is a major contributor to human disease...
- Dynamic flux balance analysis of diauxic growth in Escherichia coli
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716 USA
Biophys J 83:1331-40. 2002
..Therefore, dynamic FBA provides a framework for analyzing the transience of metabolism due to metabolic reprogramming and for obtaining insights for the design of metabolic networks.
- A role for gene duplication and natural variation of gene expression in the evolution of metabolism
Daniel J Kliebenstein
Department of Plant Sciences, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e1838. 2008
..Finally, the ability of gene duplicates to diverge may be limited by their biological function...
- The KEGG databases at GenomeNet
Bioinformatics Center, Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 30:42-6. 2002
..The KEGG databases are updated daily and made freely available (http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/)...
- Integrating cellular metabolism into a multiscale whole-body model
Bayer Technology Services GmbH, Computational Systems Biology, Leverkusen, Germany
PLoS Comput Biol 8:e1002750. 2012
Cellular metabolism continuously processes an enormous range of external compounds into endogenous metabolites and is as such a key element in human physiology...
- The clinical significance of betaine, an osmolyte with a key role in methyl group metabolism
Biochemistry Unit, Canterbury Health Laboratories, Christchurch, New Zealand
Clin Biochem 43:732-44. 2010
..Its metabolism methylates homocysteine to methionine, also producing N,N-dimethylglycine...
- FGFs and metabolism
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Research Laboratories, Biotechnology Discovery Research, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Curr Opin Pharmacol 9:805-10. 2009
..morphogenesis, angiogenesis, hematopoiesis, and survival, this decade provided clues on FGF roles in metabolism. In particular, 'hormone-like' FGF19, FGF21, and FGF23, were shown to be involved in glucose, lipid, bile acid, ..
- Effects of a web-based intervention on physical activity and metabolism in older adults: randomized controlled trial
Carolien A Wijsman
Department of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, Netherlands
J Med Internet Res 15:e233. 2013
Lack of physical activity leads to detrimental changes in body composition and metabolism, functional decline, and increased risk of disease in old age...
- Pyruvate:ferredoxin oxidoreductase and thioredoxin reductase are involved in 5-nitroimidazole activation while flavin metabolism is linked to 5-nitroimidazole resistance in Giardia lamblia
Institute of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Center for Pathophysiology, Infectiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:1756-65. 2011
..Resistance to metronidazole has been associated with down-regulation of PFOR and Fd. The aim of this study was to determine whether the PFOR/Fd couple is the only pathway involved in metronidazole activation in Giardia...
- Genome-scale modeling of human metabolism - a systems biology approach
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden
Biotechnol J 8:985-96. 2013
Altered metabolism is linked to the appearance of various human diseases and a better understanding of disease-associated metabolic changes may lead to the identification of novel prognostic biomarkers and the development of new therapies...
- Metabolic rate and body temperature reduction during hibernation and daily torpor
Zoology, Center for Behavioural and Physiological Ecology, University of New England, Armidale, NSW Australia 2351
Annu Rev Physiol 66:239-74. 2004
..However, conductance is low when deeply torpid animals are thermo-conforming probably because of peripheral vasoconstriction...
- Programming of intermediary metabolism
C J Petry
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Addenbrooke's Hospital, University of Cambridge, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QR, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 185:81-91. 2001
..Alterations in intermediary metabolism were noted in the rats with early growth restriction, which provide support for our hypothesis and clues to the ..
- Role of mitochondrial phosphate carrier in metabolism-secretion coupling in rat insulinoma cell line INS-1
Department of Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biochem J 435:421-30. 2011
..We evaluated the role of PiC in metabolism-secretion coupling in pancreatic β-cells using INS-1 cells manipulated to reduce PiC expression by siRNA (small ..
- Systematic evaluation of objective functions for predicting intracellular fluxes in Escherichia coli
Institute of Molecular Systems Biology, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Mol Syst Biol 3:119. 2007
- CRNDE, a long non-coding RNA responsive to insulin/IGF signaling, regulates genes involved in central metabolism
Blake C Ellis
CSIRO Animal, Food and Health Sciences, Preventative Health Flagship, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Sydney, NSW 2113 Australia Electronic address
Biochim Biophys Acta 1843:372-86. 2014
..showed correlation with insulin/IGF signaling pathway components and responses, including glucose and lipid metabolism. Some of the genes are identical to those affected by insulin treatment in the same cell line...
- Expansion of the BioCyc collection of pathway/genome databases to 160 genomes
Peter D Karp
Bioinformatics Research Group, SRI International EK207, 333 Ravenswood Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 33:6083-9. 2005
..Only by harnessing the expertise of many scientists we can hope to produce biological databases, which accurately reflect the depth and breadth of knowledge that the biomedical research community is producing...
- Evolution of the protein repertoire
Structural Studies Division, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK
Science 300:1701-3. 2003
..Proteins of known structure can be matched to about 50% of genome sequences, and these data provide a quantitative description and can suggest hypotheses about the origins of these processes...
- The ability of flux balance analysis to predict evolution of central metabolism scales with the initial distance to the optimum
William R Harcombe
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 9:e1003091. 2013
The most powerful genome-scale framework to model metabolism, flux balance analysis (FBA), is an evolutionary optimality model...
- Metabolic profiling technologies for biomarker discovery in biomedicine and drug development
F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, Pharmaceuticals Division, PRBD E, CH 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Pharmacogenomics 7:1055-75. 2006
..The complexity of disease and drug treatment is asking for an adequate response by integrated and comprehensive metabolite profiling approaches that allow the discovery of new combinations of metabolic biomarkers...
- Epigenetics and metabolism in 2011: Epigenetics, the life-course and metabolic disease
Peter D Gluckman
Liggins Institute, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Nat Rev Endocrinol 8:74-6. 2012
..Data published in 2011 suggest that epigenetic analysis could potentially have utility as a marker of early metabolic pathology and might enable early life prophylaxis...
- Bioavailability and metabolism of fucoxanthin in rats: structural characterization of metabolites by LC-MS (APCI)
Ravi Kumar Sangeetha
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute, CSIR, Mysore, 570 020, India
Mol Cell Biochem 333:299-310. 2010
This study reports bioavailability and metabolism of fucoxanthin (FUCO) from brown algae Padina tetrastromatica in rats. Rats were divided into two groups (n = 25/group)...
- Metabolite profiling for plant functional genomics
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, 14424 Potsdam, Germany
Nat Biotechnol 18:1157-61. 2000
..These results demonstrate the use of metabolite profiling as a tool to significantly extend and enhance the power of existing functional genomics approaches...
- A metabolome study of the steady-state relation between central metabolism, amino acid biosynthesis and penicillin production in Penicillium chrysogenum
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, Julianalaan 67, 2628 BC Delft, The Netherlands
Metab Eng 10:10-23. 2008
The relation between central metabolism and the penicillin biosynthesis pathway in Penicillium chrysogenum was studied by manipulating the steady-state flux in both pathways...
- Size and form in efficient transportation networks
J R Banavar
Department of Physics and Center for Materials Physics, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
Nature 399:130-2. 1999
Many biological processes, from cellular metabolism to population dynamics, are characterized by allometric scaling (power-law) relationships between size and rate...
- The fourth dimension of life: fractal geometry and allometric scaling of organisms
G B West
Theoretical Division, MS B285, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Science 284:1677-9. 1999
..These design principles are independent of detailed dynamics and explicit models and should apply to virtually all organisms...
- Regulation of growth and metabolism by imprinted genes
F M Smith
Centre for Regenerative Medicine and Developmental Biology Programme, Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Bath, UK
Cytogenet Genome Res 113:279-91. 2006
..to influence energy homeostasis and some, including Igf2 and Grb10, may coordinate growth with glucose-regulated metabolism. Since perturbation of fetal growth can be correlated with metabolic disorders in adulthood these imprinted ..
- Systematic identification of conserved metabolites in GC/MS data for metabolomics and biomarker discovery
Mark P Styczynski
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Room 56 469c, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Anal Chem 79:966-73. 2007
..By systematically cataloguing conserved metabolite peaks prior to data analysis methods, our approach broadens the scope of metabolomics and facilitates biomarker discovery...
- Coral larvae under ocean acidification: survival, metabolism, and metamorphosis
Sesoko Station, Tropical Biosphere Research Center, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e14521. 2011
..These results imply that acidified seawater impacts larval physiology, suggesting that suppressed metabolism and metamorphosis may alter the dispersal potential of larvae and subsequently reduce the resilience of coral ..
- Internal desynchronization in a model of night-work by forced activity in rats
Departamento de Anatomia, Facultad de Medicina, Edificio B 4 Piso, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico DF 04510, Mexico
Neuroscience 154:922-31. 2008
..The present data suggest that in the night worker the combination of work and eating during working hours may be the cause of internal desynchronization...
- Diet, metabolism and lifespan in Drosophila
Matthew D W Piper
UCL Centre for Research on Ageing, Department of Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Exp Gerontol 40:857-62. 2005
..Current data indicate lifespan-extension by DR is likely to involve both enhancement of various defense and detoxification mechanisms and a complex range of metabolic alterations that make energy available for these processes...
- Pathophysiologic response to severe burn injury
Marc G Jeschke
Shriners Hospitals for Children, University Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Ann Surg 248:387-401. 2008
..To improve clinical outcome and to determine new treatment options, we studied the pathophysiologic response postburn in a large prospective, single center, clinical trial...
- From measurements of metabolites to metabolomics: an 'on the fly' perspective illustrated by recent studies of carbon-nitrogen interactions
Departments of Metabolic Networks and Molecular Physiology, Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476, Golm, Germany
Curr Opin Biotechnol 14:136-44. 2003
..A major future challenge concerns the integration of the information gained from metabolite profiling into an accessible body of knowledge...
- Effects of olanzapine and haloperidol on the metabolic status of healthy men
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:118-25. 2010
..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of short-term olanzapine (atypical antipsychotic drug) and haloperidol (conventional antipsychotic drug) treatment on glucose and lipid metabolism.
- Exercise training and protein metabolism: influences of contraction, protein intake, and sex-based differences
Nicholas A Burd
Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Dept of Kinesiology, McMaster Univ, 1280 Main St, West Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4K1
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:1692-701. 2009
..Furthermore, we examine the underlying anabolic signaling pathways and molecules that regulate these processes...
- Computational prediction of human metabolic pathways from the complete human genome
Bioinformatics Research Group, SRI International, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Genome Biol 6:R2. 2005
..Pathway assignments place genes in their larger biological context, and are a necessary first step toward quantitative modeling of metabolism.
- Metabonomics technologies and their applications in physiological monitoring, drug safety assessment and disease diagnosis
John C Lindon
Biological Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, UK
Biomarkers 9:1-31. 2004
..review, metabonomics, a combination of data-rich analytical chemical measurements and chemometrics for profiling metabolism in complex systems, is described and its applications are reviewed...
- 13C metabolic flux analysis
Department of Simulation, IMR, University of Siegen, Paul Bonatz Strasse 9 11, D 57068 Siegen, Germany
Metab Eng 3:195-206. 2001
..It allows the detailed quantification of all intracellular fluxes in the central metabolism of a microorganism...
- Temporal expression-based analysis of metabolism
Sara B Collins
Program in Bioinformatics, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 8:e1002781. 2012
Metabolic flux is frequently rerouted through cellular metabolism in response to dynamic changes in the intra- and extra-cellular environment...
- The antiparasitic drug ivermectin is a novel FXR ligand that regulates metabolism
State Key Laboratory of Cellular Stress Biology, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University, Fujian 361005, China
Nat Commun 4:1937. 2013
..mice, with ivermectin decreases serum glucose and cholesterol levels, suggesting that ivermectin regulates metabolism through FXR...
- Practical markers of the transition from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism during exercise: rationale and a case for affect-based exercise prescription
Department of Health and Human Performance, Iowa State University, 235 Barbara E Forker Building, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Prev Med 38:149-59. 2004
..The point of transition from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism may be an appropriate level of exercise training intensity as it appears to be effective and safe for a variety ..
- Sirtuins, aging, and metabolism
Paul F Glenn Laboratory and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 76:81-90. 2011
..Sirtuins are nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD)-dependent protein deacetylases that link protein acetylation, metabolism, aging, and diseases of aging...
- Fluoranthene metabolism and associated proteins in Mycobacterium sp. JS14
Sung Eun Lee
Department of Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 9682, USA
Proteomics 7:2059-69. 2007
..A fluoranthene degradation pathway for Mycobacterium sp. JS14 was proposed and confirmed by proteomic study by identifying almost all the enzymes required during the initial steps of fluoranthene degradation...
- Choline metabolism and risk of breast cancer in a population-based study
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
FASEB J 22:2045-52. 2008
Choline is an essential nutrient required for methyl group metabolism, but its role in carcinogenesis and tumor progression is not well understood...
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis of tumor cell metabolism via stable isotope labeling assisted microfluidic chip electrospray ionization mass spectrometry
Beijing Key Laboratory of Analytical Methods and Instrumentation, Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, People s Republic of China
Anal Chem 84:1695-701. 2012
..ionization mass spectrometry (SIL-chip-ESI-MS) platform for qualitative and quantitative analysis of cell metabolism was developed...
- Increasing antiproliferative properties of endocannabinoids in N1E-115 neuroblastoma cells through inhibition of their metabolism
Medicinal Chemistry, Cannabinoid and Endocannabinoid Research Group, Louvain Drug Research Institute, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
PLoS ONE 6:e26823. 2011
..More particularly, this emphasizes the great potential benefit of designing novel anti-cancerous therapies based on the association of endocannabinoids and inhibitors of their hydrolysis...
- At the crossroad between immunity and metabolism: focus on leptin
Research laboratory 9 NEIRID LAB Neuroendocrine Interactions in Rheumatology and Inflammation Disease, Building C, Level 2, Institute of Medical Research IDIS, Santiago University Clinical Hospital, Calle Choupana s n, Santiago de Compostela, 15706, Spain
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 6:801-8. 2010
..most important adipokines secreted by fat cells, with a variety of physiological roles related to the control of metabolism, energy homeostasis and inflammatory response...
- Circadian clock genes Per1 and Per2 regulate the response of metabolism-associated transcripts to sleep disruption
Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Gottingen, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e52983. 2012
- Expression of candidate genes related to metabolism, immunity and cellular stress during massive mortality in the American oyster Crassostrea virginica larvae in relation to biochemical and physiological parameters
Institut des Sciences de la Mer, Universite du Quebec a Rimouski, 310, allée des Ursulines, Rimouski, Quebec, Canada G5L 3A1
Gene 499:70-5. 2012
Quantification of mRNA of genes related to metabolism, immunity and cellular stress was examined in relation to a massive mortality event during the culture of American oyster larvae, Crassostrea virginica which was probably, in regard to ..
- Quantitative imaging of subcellular metabolism with stable isotopes and multi-isotope imaging mass spectrometry
Matthew L Steinhauser
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, United States Division of Genetics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, United States Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, United States
Semin Cell Dev Biol 24:661-7. 2013
..Here we review the basic elements of MIMS and describe new applications of MIMS to the quantitative study of metabolic processes including protein and nucleic acid synthesis in model organisms ranging from microbes to humans. ..
- The thyroid and metabolism: the action continues
Anthony N Hollenberg
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cell Metab 8:10-2. 2008
On March 27, 2008, the American Thyroid Association sponsored a research summit on the Thyroid and Metabolism. The goals of the summit were to explore emerging new concepts and potential therapies arising from recent insights into the ..
- Metabolism of 14C-labelled and non-labelled sulfadiazine after administration to pigs
Institute of Environmental Research INFU, University of Dortmund, Otto Hahn Strasse 6, 44221, Dortmund, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 388:1733-45. 2007
..5 to 10,000 microg kg(-1) manure with a correlation coefficient>or=0.99. The same experiment was carried out simultaneously with non-labelled SDZ to obtain manure for outdoor soil experiments...
- Application of stable isotopes and mass isotopomer distribution analysis to the study of intermediary metabolism of nutrients
B J Bequette
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park, 20742, USA
J Anim Sci 84:E50-9. 2006
..This paper highlights aspects of animal nutrition and metabolism in which [U-13C] substrates and MID can be applied to investigations of amino acid, carbohydrate, and fat ..
- Advances in the understanding of mineral and bone metabolism in inflammatory bowel diseases
Fayez K Ghishan
Dept of Pediatrics, Steele Children s Research Center, Univ of Arizona Health Sciences Center 1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 300:G191-201. 2011
Chronic inflammatory disorders such as inflammatory bowel diseases (IBDs) affect bone metabolism and are frequently associated with the presence of osteopenia, osteoporosis, and increased risk of fractures...
- MicroRNAs: a new class of regulatory genes affecting metabolism
Laboratory of Metabolic Diseases, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cell Metab 4:9-12. 2006
..These studies open the possibility that miRNAs may contribute to common metabolic diseases and point to novel therapeutic opportunities based on targeting of miRNAs...
- The time of metabolism: NAD+, SIRT1, and the circadian clock
M M Bellet
Center for Epigenetics and Metabolism, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California 92697, USA
Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 76:31-8. 2011
- Effect of fat adaptation and carbohydrate restoration on metabolism and performance during prolonged cycling
L M Burke
Sports Science and Sports Medicine, Australian Institute of Sport, Belconnen 2616, Australia
J Appl Physiol (1985) 89:2413-21. 2000
..However, there was no evidence of a clear benefit of fat adaptation to cycling performance...
- Conserved metabolic regulatory functions of sirtuins
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cell Metab 7:104-12. 2008
..The earliest function of sirtuins therefore may have been regulation of cellular metabolism in response to nutrient availability...
- Relevance of the MEK/ERK signaling pathway in the metabolism of activated macrophages: a metabolomic approach
Paqui G Traves
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Immunol 188:1402-10. 2012
..We concluded that inhibition of the MEK/ERK cascade interferes with central metabolism, and this cross-talk between signal transduction and metabolism also occurs in the presence of LPS.
- Detection of elementary flux modes in biochemical networks: a promising tool for pathway analysis and metabolic engineering
Department of Bioinformatics, Max Delbruck Centre for Molecular Medicine, Berlin Buch, Germany
Trends Biotechnol 17:53-60. 1999
..This approach can be used for many biotechnological applications such as increasing the yield of a product, channelling a product into desired pathways and in functional reconstruction from genomic data...
- The hypocretins as sensors for metabolism and arousal
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304 5742, USA
J Physiol 587:33-40. 2009
..Therefore, circuits controlling both sleep and metabolism are likely to play a role in these physiopathological conditions...
- Evidence for a proximate influence of winter temperature on metabolism in passerine birds
D L Swanson
Department of Biology, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD 57069 2390, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 72:566-75. 1999
..Least-squares regression revealed significant negative relationships for normalized basal and summit metabolism against mean winter temperature for all species pooled (R2=0.62 to 0.69, P</=0.001)...
- NMR-based metabolic profiling and metabonomic approaches to problems in molecular toxicology
Department of Biomolecular Medicine, Surgery, Oncology, Reproductive Biology and Anesthetics Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, UK
Chem Res Toxicol 21:9-27. 2008
..The use of biological fluids as a source of whole organism metabolic information enhances the use of this approach in minimally invasive longitudinal studies...
- Randomized trial of the effect of antipyresis by metamizol, propacetamol or external cooling on metabolism, hemodynamics and inflammatory response
Surgical Intensive Care Division, University Hospital of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Intensive Care Med 30:401-7. 2004
..We investigated the metabolic, hemodynamic, and inflammatory responses of pharmacological and physical therapies aimed at reducing body temperature in febrile critically ill patients...
- Bow ties, metabolism and disease
Emory Anesthiology Research Labs, 1462 Clifton Rd NE, Room 420, Atlanta GA 30322, USA
Trends Biotechnol 22:446-50. 2004
..Large-scale organizational frameworks such as the bow tie are necessary starting points for higher-resolution modeling of complex biologic processes..
- Metabolism strikes back: metabolic flux regulates cell signaling
Christian M Metallo
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Genes Dev 24:2717-22. 2010
..This mechanism ensures that cells do not engage in anabolic metabolism when nutrients are limiting, and highlights how substrate availability for protein modifications can modulate ..
- Genome-scale microbial in silico models: the constraints-based approach
Nathan D Price
Department of Bioengineering, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 2093 0412, USA
Trends Biotechnol 21:162-9. 2003
..These results are useful as a basis for iterative model building and for several practical applications...
- Metabolism and bioavailability of flavonoids in chemoprevention: current analytical strategies and future prospectus
Jeevan K Prasain
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Purdue UAB Botanicals Center for Age Related Disease, UAB Center for Nutrient Gene Interaction in Cancer Prevention, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Mol Pharm 4:846-64. 2007
..behavior of these compounds following oral ingestion is needed as well as their absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion (ADME)...
- Hypothalamic sites of leptin action linking metabolism and reproduction
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hypothalamic Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9077, USA
Neuroendocrinology 93:9-18. 2011
..In this review, we discuss the recent advances in the field focused on the identification of potential site(s) or specific neuronal populations involved in leptin's effects in the neuroendocrine reproductive axis...
- PPARdelta/beta: the lobbyist switching macrophage allegiance in favor of metabolism
Center of Integrative Genomics, Faculty of Biology and Medicine, University of Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Cell Metab 7:467-9. 2008
..In two studies by Kang et al. (2008) and Odegaard et al. (2008) in this issue of Cell Metabolism, we learn that alternative activation (M2a) of resident macrophages in liver and adipose tissue depends highly ..
- H2S induced hypometabolism in mice is missing in sedated sheep
Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania, United States
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 160:109-15. 2008
..We measured metabolism in conscious mice (24 g) exposed to H(2)S (60 ppm) at an ambient temperature of 23-24 degrees C...
- Transplantation of adipose tissue and stem cells: role in metabolism and disease
Thien T Tran
Joslin Diabetes Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Nat Rev Endocrinol 6:195-213. 2010
..metabolic effects, subcutaneous white adipose tissue and brown adipose tissue have the potential to benefit metabolism by improving glucose homeostasis and increasing energy consumption...
- Diabetes and protein metabolism
Medical Department M, Aarhus University Hospital, Medical Research Laboratories, Aarhus C 8000, Denmark
Diabetes 57:3-4. 2008
- Distinct effects of ionizing radiation on in vivo murine kidney and brain normal tissue gene expression
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brain Tumor Center of Wake Forest University, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:3823-30. 2006
..As such, the aim of the present study was to identify candidate genes involved in the development of radiation injury in the murine kidney and brain using microarray analysis...
- Organizational invariance and metabolic closure: analysis in terms of (M,R) systems
Juan Carlos Letelier
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 653, Santiago, Chile
J Theor Biol 238:949-61. 2006
..formulation of (M,R) systems in terms of mappings and sets of mappings, which is grounded in the metaphor of metabolism as a mathematical mapping...
- Bone and metabolism: a complex crosstalk
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Department of Experimental Medicine, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Horm Res 71:134-8. 2009
Until recently, communication from metabolism to bone was considered purely unidirectional, involving complex interactions among an adipocyte-derived factor (leptin), the sympathetic nervous system and neuropeptides...
- A salvage pathway for phytol metabolism in Arabidopsis
Department of Molecular Physiology, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:2470-7. 2006
..Thus, Arabidopsis contains a distinct enzymatic machinery for redirecting free phytol released from chlorophyll degradation into chloroplast lipid metabolism.
- The circadian clock and metabolism
Institute of Biochemistry, Food Science and Nutrition, Robert H Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Clin Sci (Lond) 120:65-72. 2011
..and physiological functions in addition to the expression and/or activity of enzymes and hormones involved in metabolism. In turn, key metabolic enzymes and transcription activators interact with and affect the core clock mechanism...
- Adenine nucleotide metabolism in human blood--important roles for leukocytes and erythrocytes
Centre for Integrated Systems Biology and Medicine, Institute of Clinical Research, University of Nottingham, UK
J Thromb Haemost 3:2331-9. 2005
..Rapid metabolism of ADP and ATP by endothelial cells is important in protecting platelets from their effects...
- A network perspective on metabolism and aging
Quinlyn A Soltow
Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Integr Comp Biol 50:844-54. 2010
..Here, we advocate the use of metabolic networks to expand the work from genomics and proteomics. As metabolism is the final fingerprint of functionality and has been implicated in multiple theories of aging, metabolomic ..
- Transcriptional regulation of metabolism
Center for Integrative Genomics, National Centre of Competence in Research Frontiers in Genetics, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Physiol Rev 86:465-514. 2006
Our understanding of metabolism is undergoing a dramatic shift. Indeed, the efforts made towards elucidating the mechanisms controlling the major regulatory pathways are now being rewarded...
- CD36, a scavenger receptor involved in immunity, metabolism, angiogenesis, and behavior
Roy L Silverstein
Department of Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Sci Signal 2:re3. 2009
..Identification of the precise CD36 signaling pathways in specific cells elicited in response to specific ligands may yield novel targets for drug development...
- MicroRNA control of lifespan and metabolism
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Cell Cycle 5:837-40. 2006
..regulators will undoubtedly further our understanding of the complex genetic networks that control lifespan and metabolism, and will also provide us with novel targets for the therapeutic intervention of metabolic and age-related ..
- Targeted profiling: quantitative analysis of 1H NMR metabolomics data
Aalim M Weljie
Chenomx Inc, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and Metabolomics Research Centre, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Anal Chem 78:4430-42. 2006
..mixtures is an area of active research in the emerging field of "metabolomics", which combines metabolism, spectroscopy, and multivariate statistical analysis (pattern recognition) methods...
- Theodor Bücher Lecture. Metabolomics, modelling and machine learning in systems biology - towards an understanding of the languages of cells. Delivered on 3 July 2005 at the 30th FEBS Congress and the 9th IUBMB conference in Budapest
Douglas B Kell
School of Chemistry, Faraday Building, The University of Manchester, UK
FEBS J 273:873-94. 2006
..These include fields such as chemical genomics, synthetic biology, distributed computational environments for biological data and modelling, single cell diagnostics/bionanotechnology, and computational linguistics/text mining...
- Chemometrics in metabonomics
Research Group for Chemometrics, Institute of Chemistry, Umea University, Sweden
J Proteome Res 6:469-79. 2007
..This is illustrated by examples from the literature...
- Insulin signaling regulates fatty acid catabolism at the level of CoA activation
German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
PLoS Genet 8:e1002478. 2012
The insulin/IGF signaling pathway is a highly conserved regulator of metabolism in flies and mammals, regulating multiple physiological functions including lipid metabolism...