Genomes and Genes
Summary: The sum of chemical changes that occur within the tissues of an organism consisting of anabolism (biosysthesis) and catabolism; the buildup and breakdown of molecules for utilization by the body.
Publications390 found, 100 shown here
- A general model for the origin of allometric scaling laws in biologyG B West
Theoretical Division, T 8, Mail Stop B285, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Science 276:122-6. 1997..More generally, the model predicts structural and functional properties of vertebrate cardiovascular and respiratory systems, plant vascular systems, insect tracheal tubes, and other distribution networks...
- Network biology: understanding the cell's functional organizationAlbert Laszlo Barabasi
Department of Physics, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
Nat Rev Genet 5:101-13. 2004
- Circadian integration of metabolism and energeticsJoseph Bass
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Science 330:1349-54. 2010..Here, we review advances in understanding the interrelationship among circadian disruption, sleep deprivation, obesity, and diabetes and implications for rational therapeutics for these conditions...
- The androgen receptor fuels prostate cancer by regulating central metabolism and biosynthesisCharles E Massie
CRUK Cambridge Research Institute, Cambridge, UK
EMBO J 30:2719-33. 2011..cancer and regulates cancer cell growth via its unexpected role as a hormone-dependent modulator of anabolic metabolism. In conclusion, it is possible to progress from transcriptional studies to a promising therapeutic target by ..
- Influence of metabolism on epigenetics and diseaseWilliam G Kaelin
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cell 153:56-69. 2013..remove such chemical modifications are known, or might be suspected, to be sensitive to changes in intracellular metabolism. This knowledge provides a conceptual foundation for understanding how mutations in the metabolic enzymes SDH, ..
- Reactome: a knowledgebase of biological pathwaysG Joshi-Tope
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 33:D428-32. 2005..model allows us to represent many diverse processes in the human system, including the pathways of intermediary metabolism, regulatory pathways, and signal transduction, and high-level processes, such as the cell cycle...
- The nexus of chromatin regulation and intermediary metabolismPhilipp Gut
Gladstone Institutes, University of California, San Francisco, California 94941, USA
Nature 502:489-98. 2013..Numerous connections between products of intermediary metabolism and chromatin proteins have recently been identified...
- Myocardial substrate metabolism in the normal and failing heartWilliam C Stanley
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4970, USA
Physiol Rev 85:1093-129. 2005The alterations in myocardial energy substrate metabolism that occur in heart failure, and the causes and consequences of these abnormalities, are poorly understood...
- The systems biology markup language (SBML): a medium for representation and exchange of biochemical network modelsM Hucka
Control and Dynamical Systems, MC 107 81, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Bioinformatics 19:524-31. 2003..Molecular biotechnology now makes it possible to build elaborate systems models, but the systems biology community needs information standards if models are to be shared, evaluated and developed cooperatively...
- HMDB: the Human Metabolome DatabaseDavid S Wishart
Department of Computing Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E8
Nucleic Acids Res 35:D521-6. 2007..HMDB) is currently the most complete and comprehensive curated collection of human metabolite and human metabolism data in the world...
- Evaluation of the orthogonal projection on latent structure model limitations caused by chemical shift variability and improved visualization of biomarker changes in 1H NMR spectroscopic metabonomic studiesOlivier Cloarec
Biological Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Anal Chem 77:517-26. 2005....
- Perinatal exposure to high-fat diet programs energy balance, metabolism and behavior in adulthoodElinor L Sullivan
Department of Neuroscience, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Neuroendocrinology 93:1-8. 2011..The perinatal environment plays an important role in programming many aspects of physiology and behavior including metabolism, body weight set point, energy balance regulation and predisposition to mental health-related disorders such as ..
- Global reconstruction of the human metabolic network based on genomic and bibliomic dataNatalie C Duarte
Bioengineering Department, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0412, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:1777-82. 2007b>Metabolism is a vital cellular process, and its malfunction is a major contributor to human disease...
- Dynamic flux balance analysis of diauxic growth in Escherichia coliRadhakrishnan Mahadevan
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716 USA
Biophys J 83:1331-40. 2002..Therefore, dynamic FBA provides a framework for analyzing the transience of metabolism due to metabolic reprogramming and for obtaining insights for the design of metabolic networks.
- The KEGG databases at GenomeNetMinoru Kanehisa
Bioinformatics Center, Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 30:42-6. 2002..The KEGG databases are updated daily and made freely available (http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/)...
- Integrating cellular metabolism into a multiscale whole-body modelMarkus Krauss
Bayer Technology Services GmbH, Computational Systems Biology, Leverkusen, Germany
PLoS Comput Biol 8:e1002750. 2012Cellular metabolism continuously processes an enormous range of external compounds into endogenous metabolites and is as such a key element in human physiology...
- FGFs and metabolismAlexei Kharitonenkov
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Research Laboratories, Biotechnology Discovery Research, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Curr Opin Pharmacol 9:805-10. 2009..morphogenesis, angiogenesis, hematopoiesis, and survival, this decade provided clues on FGF roles in metabolism. In particular, 'hormone-like' FGF19, FGF21, and FGF23, were shown to be involved in glucose, lipid, bile acid, ..
- The clinical significance of betaine, an osmolyte with a key role in methyl group metabolismMichael Lever
Biochemistry Unit, Canterbury Health Laboratories, Christchurch, New Zealand
Clin Biochem 43:732-44. 2010..Its metabolism methylates homocysteine to methionine, also producing N,N-dimethylglycine...
- Pyruvate:ferredoxin oxidoreductase and thioredoxin reductase are involved in 5-nitroimidazole activation while flavin metabolism is linked to 5-nitroimidazole resistance in Giardia lambliaDavid Leitsch
Institute of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Center for Pathophysiology, Infectiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:1756-65. 2011..Resistance to metronidazole has been associated with down-regulation of PFOR and Fd. The aim of this study was to determine whether the PFOR/Fd couple is the only pathway involved in metronidazole activation in Giardia...
- Metabolic rate and body temperature reduction during hibernation and daily torporFritz Geiser
Zoology, Center for Behavioural and Physiological Ecology, University of New England, Armidale, NSW Australia 2351
Annu Rev Physiol 66:239-74. 2004..However, conductance is low when deeply torpid animals are thermo-conforming probably because of peripheral vasoconstriction...
- Expansion of the BioCyc collection of pathway/genome databases to 160 genomesPeter D Karp
Bioinformatics Research Group, SRI International EK207, 333 Ravenswood Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 33:6083-9. 2005..Only by harnessing the expertise of many scientists we can hope to produce biological databases, which accurately reflect the depth and breadth of knowledge that the biomedical research community is producing...
- Systematic evaluation of objective functions for predicting intracellular fluxes in Escherichia coliRobert Schuetz
Institute of Molecular Systems Biology, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Mol Syst Biol 3:119. 2007....
- Programming of intermediary metabolismC J Petry
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Addenbrooke's Hospital, University of Cambridge, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QR, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 185:81-91. 2001..Alterations in intermediary metabolism were noted in the rats with early growth restriction, which provide support for our hypothesis and clues to the ..
- Role of mitochondrial phosphate carrier in metabolism-secretion coupling in rat insulinoma cell line INS-1Yuichi Nishi
Department of Diabetes and Clinical Nutrition, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Biochem J 435:421-30. 2011..We evaluated the role of PiC in metabolism-secretion coupling in pancreatic β-cells using INS-1 cells manipulated to reduce PiC expression by siRNA (small ..
- The ability of flux balance analysis to predict evolution of central metabolism scales with the initial distance to the optimumWilliam R Harcombe
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 9:e1003091. 2013The most powerful genome-scale framework to model metabolism, flux balance analysis (FBA), is an evolutionary optimality model...
- CRNDE, a long non-coding RNA responsive to insulin/IGF signaling, regulates genes involved in central metabolismBlake C Ellis
CSIRO Animal, Food and Health Sciences, Preventative Health Flagship, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, Sydney, NSW 2113 Australia Electronic address
Biochim Biophys Acta 1843:372-86. 2014..showed correlation with insulin/IGF signaling pathway components and responses, including glucose and lipid metabolism. Some of the genes are identical to those affected by insulin treatment in the same cell line...
- Epigenetics and metabolism in 2011: Epigenetics, the life-course and metabolic diseasePeter D Gluckman
Liggins Institute, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Nat Rev Endocrinol 8:74-6. 2011..Data published in 2011 suggest that epigenetic analysis could potentially have utility as a marker of early metabolic pathology and might enable early life prophylaxis...
- Metabolite profiling for plant functional genomicsO Fiehn
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, 14424 Potsdam, Germany
Nat Biotechnol 18:1157-61. 2000..These results demonstrate the use of metabolite profiling as a tool to significantly extend and enhance the power of existing functional genomics approaches...
- Bioavailability and metabolism of fucoxanthin in rats: structural characterization of metabolites by LC-MS (APCI)Ravi Kumar Sangeetha
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute, CSIR, Mysore, 570 020, India
Mol Cell Biochem 333:299-310. 2010This study reports bioavailability and metabolism of fucoxanthin (FUCO) from brown algae Padina tetrastromatica in rats. Rats were divided into two groups (n = 25/group)...
- Size and form in efficient transportation networksJ R Banavar
Department of Physics and Center for Materials Physics, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802, USA
Nature 399:130-2. 1999Many biological processes, from cellular metabolism to population dynamics, are characterized by allometric scaling (power-law) relationships between size and rate...
- Coral larvae under ocean acidification: survival, metabolism, and metamorphosisMasako Nakamura
Sesoko Station, Tropical Biosphere Research Center, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e14521. 2011..These results imply that acidified seawater impacts larval physiology, suggesting that suppressed metabolism and metamorphosis may alter the dispersal potential of larvae and subsequently reduce the resilience of coral ..
- Regulation of growth and metabolism by imprinted genesF M Smith
Centre for Regenerative Medicine and Developmental Biology Programme, Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Bath, UK
Cytogenet Genome Res 113:279-91. 2006..to influence energy homeostasis and some, including Igf2 and Grb10, may coordinate growth with glucose-regulated metabolism. Since perturbation of fetal growth can be correlated with metabolic disorders in adulthood these imprinted ..
- Internal desynchronization in a model of night-work by forced activity in ratsR Salgado-Delgado
Departamento de Anatomia, Facultad de Medicina, Edificio B 4 Piso, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico DF 04510, Mexico
Neuroscience 154:922-31. 2008..The present data suggest that in the night worker the combination of work and eating during working hours may be the cause of internal desynchronization...
- Diet, metabolism and lifespan in DrosophilaMatthew D W Piper
UCL Centre for Research on Ageing, Department of Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Exp Gerontol 40:857-62. 2005..Current data indicate lifespan-extension by DR is likely to involve both enhancement of various defense and detoxification mechanisms and a complex range of metabolic alterations that make energy available for these processes...
- From measurements of metabolites to metabolomics: an 'on the fly' perspective illustrated by recent studies of carbon-nitrogen interactionsMark Stitt
Departments of Metabolic Networks and Molecular Physiology, Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476, Golm, Germany
Curr Opin Biotechnol 14:136-44. 2003..A major future challenge concerns the integration of the information gained from metabolite profiling into an accessible body of knowledge...
- Pathophysiologic response to severe burn injuryMarc G Jeschke
Shriners Hospitals for Children, University Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Ann Surg 248:387-401. 2008..To improve clinical outcome and to determine new treatment options, we studied the pathophysiologic response postburn in a large prospective, single center, clinical trial...
- Exercise training and protein metabolism: influences of contraction, protein intake, and sex-based differencesNicholas A Burd
Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Dept of Kinesiology, McMaster Univ, 1280 Main St, West Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4K1
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:1692-701. 2009..Furthermore, we examine the underlying anabolic signaling pathways and molecules that regulate these processes...
- Computational prediction of human metabolic pathways from the complete human genomePedro Romero
Bioinformatics Research Group, SRI International, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Genome Biol 6:R2. 2005..Pathway assignments place genes in their larger biological context, and are a necessary first step toward quantitative modeling of metabolism.
- 13C metabolic flux analysisW Wiechert
Department of Simulation, IMR, University of Siegen, Paul Bonatz Strasse 9 11, D 57068 Siegen, Germany
Metab Eng 3:195-206. 2001..It allows the detailed quantification of all intracellular fluxes in the central metabolism of a microorganism...
- Effects of olanzapine and haloperidol on the metabolic status of healthy menSolrun Vidarsdottir
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:118-25. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of short-term olanzapine (atypical antipsychotic drug) and haloperidol (conventional antipsychotic drug) treatment on glucose and lipid metabolism.
- Choline metabolism and risk of breast cancer in a population-based studyXinran Xu
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
FASEB J 22:2045-52. 2008Choline is an essential nutrient required for methyl group metabolism, but its role in carcinogenesis and tumor progression is not well understood...
- Sirtuins, aging, and metabolismLeonard Guarente
Paul F Glenn Laboratory and Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 76:81-90. 2011..Sirtuins are nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD)-dependent protein deacetylases that link protein acetylation, metabolism, aging, and diseases of aging...
- Temporal expression-based analysis of metabolismSara B Collins
Program in Bioinformatics, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 8:e1002781. 2012Metabolic flux is frequently rerouted through cellular metabolism in response to dynamic changes in the intra- and extra-cellular environment...
- Practical markers of the transition from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism during exercise: rationale and a case for affect-based exercise prescriptionPanteleimon Ekkekakis
Department of Health and Human Performance, Iowa State University, 235 Barbara E Forker Building, Ames, IA 50011, USA
Prev Med 38:149-59. 2004..The point of transition from aerobic to anaerobic metabolism may be an appropriate level of exercise training intensity as it appears to be effective and safe for a variety ..
- The antiparasitic drug ivermectin is a novel FXR ligand that regulates metabolismLihua Jin
State Key Laboratory of Cellular Stress Biology, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University, Fujian 361005, China
Nat Commun 4:1937. 2013..mice, with ivermectin decreases serum glucose and cholesterol levels, suggesting that ivermectin regulates metabolism through FXR...
- At the crossroad between immunity and metabolism: focus on leptinJavier Conde
Research laboratory 9 NEIRID LAB Neuroendocrine Interactions in Rheumatology and Inflammation Disease, Building C, Level 2, Institute of Medical Research IDIS, Santiago University Clinical Hospital, Calle Choupana s n, Santiago de Compostela, 15706, Spain
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 6:801-8. 2010..most important adipokines secreted by fat cells, with a variety of physiological roles related to the control of metabolism, energy homeostasis and inflammatory response...
- Conserved metabolic regulatory functions of sirtuinsBjoern Schwer
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cell Metab 7:104-12. 2008..The earliest function of sirtuins therefore may have been regulation of cellular metabolism in response to nutrient availability...
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis of tumor cell metabolism via stable isotope labeling assisted microfluidic chip electrospray ionization mass spectrometryQiushui Chen
Beijing Key Laboratory of Analytical Methods and Instrumentation, Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, People s Republic of China
Anal Chem 84:1695-701. 2012..ionization mass spectrometry (SIL-chip-ESI-MS) platform for qualitative and quantitative analysis of cell metabolism was developed...
- Detection of elementary flux modes in biochemical networks: a promising tool for pathway analysis and metabolic engineeringS Schuster
Department of Bioinformatics, Max Delbruck Centre for Molecular Medicine, Berlin Buch, Germany
Trends Biotechnol 17:53-60. 1999..This approach can be used for many biotechnological applications such as increasing the yield of a product, channelling a product into desired pathways and in functional reconstruction from genomic data...
- Advances in the understanding of mineral and bone metabolism in inflammatory bowel diseasesFayez K Ghishan
Dept of Pediatrics, Steele Children s Research Center, Univ of Arizona Health Sciences Center 1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 300:G191-201. 2011Chronic inflammatory disorders such as inflammatory bowel diseases (IBDs) affect bone metabolism and are frequently associated with the presence of osteopenia, osteoporosis, and increased risk of fractures...
- Quantitative imaging of subcellular metabolism with stable isotopes and multi-isotope imaging mass spectrometryMatthew L Steinhauser
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, United States Division of Genetics, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, United States Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, United States
Semin Cell Dev Biol 24:661-7. 2013..Here we review the basic elements of MIMS and describe new applications of MIMS to the quantitative study of metabolic processes including protein and nucleic acid synthesis in model organisms ranging from microbes to humans. ..
- The thyroid and metabolism: the action continuesAnthony N Hollenberg
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cell Metab 8:10-2. 2008On March 27, 2008, the American Thyroid Association sponsored a research summit on the Thyroid and Metabolism. The goals of the summit were to explore emerging new concepts and potential therapies arising from recent insights into the ..
- Circadian clock genes Per1 and Per2 regulate the response of metabolism-associated transcripts to sleep disruptionJana Husse
Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Gottingen, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e52983. 2012....
- MicroRNAs: a new class of regulatory genes affecting metabolismJan Krutzfeldt
Laboratory of Metabolic Diseases, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cell Metab 4:9-12. 2006..These studies open the possibility that miRNAs may contribute to common metabolic diseases and point to novel therapeutic opportunities based on targeting of miRNAs...
- NMR-based metabolic profiling and metabonomic approaches to problems in molecular toxicologyMuireann Coen
Department of Biomolecular Medicine, Surgery, Oncology, Reproductive Biology and Anesthetics Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, UK
Chem Res Toxicol 21:9-27. 2008..The use of biological fluids as a source of whole organism metabolic information enhances the use of this approach in minimally invasive longitudinal studies...
- Genome-scale microbial in silico models: the constraints-based approachNathan D Price
Department of Bioengineering, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 2093 0412, USA
Trends Biotechnol 21:162-9. 2003..These results are useful as a basis for iterative model building and for several practical applications...
- The hypocretins as sensors for metabolism and arousalAntoine Adamantidis
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304 5742, USA
J Physiol 587:33-40. 2009..Therefore, circuits controlling both sleep and metabolism are likely to play a role in these physiopathological conditions...
- Organizational invariance and metabolic closure: analysis in terms of (M,R) systemsJuan Carlos Letelier
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 653, Santiago, Chile
J Theor Biol 238:949-61. 2006..formulation of (M,R) systems in terms of mappings and sets of mappings, which is grounded in the metaphor of metabolism as a mathematical mapping...
- Transplantation of adipose tissue and stem cells: role in metabolism and diseaseThien T Tran
Joslin Diabetes Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Nat Rev Endocrinol 6:195-213. 2010..metabolic effects, subcutaneous white adipose tissue and brown adipose tissue have the potential to benefit metabolism by improving glucose homeostasis and increasing energy consumption...
- Metabolism and bioavailability of flavonoids in chemoprevention: current analytical strategies and future prospectusJeevan K Prasain
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Purdue UAB Botanicals Center for Age Related Disease, UAB Center for Nutrient Gene Interaction in Cancer Prevention, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Mol Pharm 4:846-64. 2007..behavior of these compounds following oral ingestion is needed as well as their absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion (ADME)...
- H2S induced hypometabolism in mice is missing in sedated sheepPhilippe Haouzi
Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania, United States
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 160:109-15. 2008..We measured metabolism in conscious mice (24 g) exposed to H(2)S (60 ppm) at an ambient temperature of 23-24 degrees C...
- PPARdelta/beta: the lobbyist switching macrophage allegiance in favor of metabolismBeatrice Desvergne
Center of Integrative Genomics, Faculty of Biology and Medicine, University of Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Cell Metab 7:467-9. 2008..In two studies by Kang et al. (2008) and Odegaard et al. (2008) in this issue of Cell Metabolism, we learn that alternative activation (M2a) of resident macrophages in liver and adipose tissue depends highly ..
- Diabetes and protein metabolismNiels Møller
Medical Department M, Aarhus University Hospital, Medical Research Laboratories, Aarhus C 8000, Denmark
Diabetes 57:3-4. 2008
- Hypothalamic sites of leptin action linking metabolism and reproductionJose Donato
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hypothalamic Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9077, USA
Neuroendocrinology 93:9-18. 2011..In this review, we discuss the recent advances in the field focused on the identification of potential site(s) or specific neuronal populations involved in leptin's effects in the neuroendocrine reproductive axis...
- Distinct effects of ionizing radiation on in vivo murine kidney and brain normal tissue gene expressionWeiling Zhao
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brain Tumor Center of Wake Forest University, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:3823-30. 2006..As such, the aim of the present study was to identify candidate genes involved in the development of radiation injury in the murine kidney and brain using microarray analysis...
- Adenine nucleotide metabolism in human blood--important roles for leukocytes and erythrocytesS Heptinstall
Centre for Integrated Systems Biology and Medicine, Institute of Clinical Research, University of Nottingham, UK
J Thromb Haemost 3:2331-9. 2005..Rapid metabolism of ADP and ATP by endothelial cells is important in protecting platelets from their effects...
- The circadian clock and metabolismOren Froy
Institute of Biochemistry, Food Science and Nutrition, Robert H Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Clin Sci (Lond) 120:65-72. 2011..and physiological functions in addition to the expression and/or activity of enzymes and hormones involved in metabolism. In turn, key metabolic enzymes and transcription activators interact with and affect the core clock mechanism...
- A network perspective on metabolism and agingQuinlyn A Soltow
Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Integr Comp Biol 50:844-54. 2010..Here, we advocate the use of metabolic networks to expand the work from genomics and proteomics. As metabolism is the final fingerprint of functionality and has been implicated in multiple theories of aging, metabolomic ..
- Theodor Bücher Lecture. Metabolomics, modelling and machine learning in systems biology - towards an understanding of the languages of cells. Delivered on 3 July 2005 at the 30th FEBS Congress and the 9th IUBMB conference in BudapestDouglas B Kell
School of Chemistry, Faraday Building, The University of Manchester, UK
FEBS J 273:873-94. 2006..These include fields such as chemical genomics, synthetic biology, distributed computational environments for biological data and modelling, single cell diagnostics/bionanotechnology, and computational linguistics/text mining...
- MicroRNA control of lifespan and metabolismMichelle Boehm
Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Cell Cycle 5:837-40. 2006..regulators will undoubtedly further our understanding of the complex genetic networks that control lifespan and metabolism, and will also provide us with novel targets for the therapeutic intervention of metabolic and age-related ..
- Targeted profiling: quantitative analysis of 1H NMR metabolomics dataAalim M Weljie
Chenomx Inc, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and Metabolomics Research Centre, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Anal Chem 78:4430-42. 2006..mixtures is an area of active research in the emerging field of "metabolomics", which combines metabolism, spectroscopy, and multivariate statistical analysis (pattern recognition) methods...
- Chemometrics in metabonomicsJohan Trygg
Research Group for Chemometrics, Institute of Chemistry, Umea University, Sweden
J Proteome Res 6:469-79. 2007..This is illustrated by examples from the literature...
- The evolution of connectivity in metabolic networksThomas Pfeiffer
Computational Laboratory, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
PLoS Biol 3:e228. 2005..Specifically, our simulations indicate that group transfer reactions are essential for the emergence of hubs...
- From sirtuin biology to human diseases: an updateCarlos Sebastian
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 287:42444-52. 2012..In this minireview, we provide an update on the known roles for each of the seven mammalian sirtuins in these areas...
- Metabolomics: a global biochemical approach to drug response and diseaseRima Kaddurah-Daouk
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 48:653-83. 2008Metabolomics is the study of metabolism at the global level. This rapidly developing new discipline has important potential implications for pharmacologic science...
- A novel two-component system involved in the transition to secondary metabolism in Streptomyces coelicolorDaniel Rozas
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e31760. 2012..Therefore, this two-component system in S. coelicolor seems to influence various processes characterised by the transition from primary to secondary metabolism, as determined by proteomic and transcriptomic analyses.
- Metabolomics by numbers: acquiring and understanding global metabolite dataRoyston Goodacre
Department of Chemistry, UMIST, P O Box 88, Sackville Street, Manchester M60 1QD, UK
Trends Biotechnol 22:245-52. 2004
- Insulin signaling regulates fatty acid catabolism at the level of CoA activationXiaojun Xu
German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
PLoS Genet 8:e1002478. 2012The insulin/IGF signaling pathway is a highly conserved regulator of metabolism in flies and mammals, regulating multiple physiological functions including lipid metabolism...
- Reconstruction of metabolic networks from genome data and analysis of their global structure for various organismsHongwu Ma
GBF German Research Center for Biotechnology, Microbial Systems, Mascheroder Weg 1, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany
Bioinformatics 19:270-7. 2003..These networks are often very large and complex. To properly understand and analyze the global properties of metabolic networks, methods for rationally representing and quantitatively analyzing their structure are needed...
- A minimal model of metabolism-based chemotaxisMatthew D Egbert
Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Robotics, University of Sussex, Brighton, United Kingdom
PLoS Comput Biol 6:e1001004. 2010Since the pioneering work by Julius Adler in the 1960's, bacterial chemotaxis has been predominantly studied as metabolism-independent. All available simulation models of bacterial chemotaxis endorse this assumption...
- In vitro fertilization improves childhood growth and metabolismHarriet L Miles
The National Research Centre for Growth and Development and Liggins Institute, University of Auckland, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3441-5. 2007..There is limited information regarding the long-term outcome of children born after in vitro fertilization (IVF), although an increase in rare imprinted gene disorders such as Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome has been reported...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha in muscle links metabolism to inflammationChristoph Handschin
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Basel and Institute of Physiology and Zurich Center for Integrative Human Physiology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:1139-43. 20091. In higher eukaryotes, metabolism and immunity are tightly coupled...
- Mitotic activity of rat muscle satellite cells in response to serum stimulation: relation with cellular metabolismAude E Barani
Laboratoire de Physiologie, Groupe Physiologie et Physiopathologie de l Exercice et du Handicap, Groupement d Intérêt Public Exercice Sport Santé, Faculte de Medecine, 15 rue Ambroise Paré, 42023 Saint Etienne, France
Exp Cell Res 283:196-205. 2003..of energetic and proteolytic metabolisms, including an increase in the relative contribution of glycolytic metabolism for energy production, an increase in proteasome and matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 activities, and a ..
- Metabolomics provide new insight on the metabolism of dietary phytochemicals in ratsAnthony Fardet
Unite de Nutrition Humaine, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Recherche de Clermont Ferrand Theix, F 63122 St Genes Champanelle, France
J Nutr 138:1282-7. 2008..The latter can be characterized by a metabolomics approach. In this work, we compared the metabolism of lignins to that of the structurally related ferulic acid (FA) and sinapic acid (SA)...
- Metabolism strikes back: metabolic flux regulates cell signalingChristian M Metallo
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Genes Dev 24:2717-22. 2010..This mechanism ensures that cells do not engage in anabolic metabolism when nutrients are limiting, and highlights how substrate availability for protein modifications can modulate ..
- Relevance of the MEK/ERK signaling pathway in the metabolism of activated macrophages: a metabolomic approachPaqui G Traves
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas Alberto Sols, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28029 Madrid, Spain
J Immunol 188:1402-10. 2012..We concluded that inhibition of the MEK/ERK cascade interferes with central metabolism, and this cross-talk between signal transduction and metabolism also occurs in the presence of LPS.
- Secondary metabolism in simulated microgravity and space flightHong Gao
Chinese Academy of Sciences Key Laboratory of Pathogenic Microbiology and Immunology, Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China
Protein Cell 2:858-61. 2011..on earth, several models have been developed and applied to examine the effect of microgravity on secondary metabolism. In this paper, studies of effects of space flight on secondary metabolism are exemplified and reviewed along ..
- Kinetics of organic transformations under mild aqueous conditions: implications for the origin of life and its metabolismArthur L Weber
SETI Institute, Mail Stop 239 4, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA 94035 1000, USA
Orig Life Evol Biosph 34:473-95. 2004....
- Sleep and metabolism: role of hypothalamic neuronal circuitryAsya Rolls
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304 5742, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 24:817-28. 2010Sleep and metabolism are intertwined physiologically and behaviorally, but the neural systems underlying their coordination are still poorly understood...
- Decoupling dynamical systems for pathway identification from metabolic profilesEberhard O Voit
Department of Biometry and Epidemiology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Bioinformatics 20:1670-81. 2004..The retrieval of this information requires a combination of computational methods and mathematical models, which are typically represented as systems of ordinary differential equations...
- Evidence for a proximate influence of winter temperature on metabolism in passerine birdsD L Swanson
Department of Biology, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD 57069 2390, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 72:566-75. 1999..Least-squares regression revealed significant negative relationships for normalized basal and summit metabolism against mean winter temperature for all species pooled (R2=0.62 to 0.69, P</=0.001)...
- Application of stable isotopes and mass isotopomer distribution analysis to the study of intermediary metabolism of nutrientsB J Bequette
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park, 20742, USA
J Anim Sci 84:E50-9. 2006..This paper highlights aspects of animal nutrition and metabolism in which [U-13C] substrates and MID can be applied to investigations of amino acid, carbohydrate, and fat ..
- Increasing longevity by tuning up metabolism. To maximize human health and lifespan, scientists must abandon outdated models of micronutrientsBruce N Ames
The Children s Hospital Oakland Research Institute, Oakland, CA, USA
EMBO Rep 6:S20-4. 2005
- Relation of left ventricular ejection fraction and functional capacity with metabolism and inflammation in chronic heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (from the MIMICA Study)Jorge Thierer
Instituto Cardiovascular de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Cardiol 105:977-83. 2010..Even a slightly diminished functional capacity implies underlying inflammation and catabolic activation...
- The effect of anticipatory anxiety on breathing and metabolism in humansY Masaoka
Second Department of Physiology, Showa University School of Medicine, Hatanodai 1-5-8, Shinagawa-ku, 142-8555, Tokyo, Japan
Respir Physiol 128:171-7. 2001..These results suggest that an increase in respiratory frequency is not related to metabolic factors and is consistent with a mechanism involving the limbic system modulating respiratory drive...
- Allometric cascade: a model for resolving body mass effects on metabolismPeter W Hochachka
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 134:675-91. 2003..A more realistic equation for the scaling of metabolism with body size thus can be written as BMR=MR(0)Sigmac(i)(M/M(0))(bi), where MR(0) is the "characteristic ..
- A new framework for the estimation of control parameters in metabolic pathways using lin-log kineticsLiang Wu
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands
Eur J Biochem 271:3348-59. 2004....
- Systematic identification of conserved metabolites in GC/MS data for metabolomics and biomarker discoveryMark P Styczynski
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Room 56 469c, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Anal Chem 79:966-73. 2007..By systematically cataloguing conserved metabolite peaks prior to data analysis methods, our approach broadens the scope of metabolomics and facilitates biomarker discovery...
- MetaCyc: a multiorganism database of metabolic pathways and enzymesRon Caspi
SRI International 333 Ravenswood, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 34:D511-6. 2006..serve as a metabolic encyclopedia, containing a collection of non-redundant pathways central to small molecule metabolism, which have been reported in the experimental literature...
- An introduction to the use of tracers in nutrition and metabolismM J Rennie
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, University of Dundee, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 58:935-44. 1999..workers to the field of techniques in common current use for the measurement of static and dynamic features of metabolism, especially nutritional metabolism...
- A simplified method for power-law modelling of metabolic pathways from time-course data and steady-state flux profilesTomoya Kitayama
Institute of Advanced Bioscience, Keio University, Fujisawa, 252 8520, Japan
Theor Biol Med Model 3:24. 2006..To solve this problem we propose a novel method involving power-law modelling of metabolic pathways from the Jacobian of the targeted system and the steady-state flux profiles by linearization of S-systems...
- Understanding/ Treating Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Pediatric Physical IllnessEva Szigethy; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Discovery metabolite profiling of the prolyl peptidasesAlan Saghatelian; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, the application of DMP to peptidases will demonstrate the generality of this approach for the future characterization of medically relevant enzymes and signaling pathways. ..
- Genetic variation and regulatory networks: Mechanisms and complexityDANA PE ER; Fiscal Year: 2009..These tools will be made publicly available, including a friendly graphical user interface and visualization. ..
- Prevention of Complications in ThalassemiaElliott P Vichinsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..overload, heart disease, liver disease, endocrine dysfunction, nutritional deficiencies and disorders of bone metabolism. Our future goals include expanded screening for cardiac iron deposition using newly available MRI technology ..
- High Throughput Genotyping and DNA Sequencing for Studying the Genetic ContributiSonia Dua; Fiscal Year: 2013..of human immune response genes using ~200,000 SNPs 2) A panel of ~ 200,000 SNPs covering the genes in human metabolism. 3) A [unreadable]genotyping[unreadable] platform capable of measuring DNA methylation in human samples using ..
- Mice Humanized with Hepatocytes and iPS Cells from Patients with Metabolic DiseasStephen C Strom; Fiscal Year: 2010..ranging from production and secretion of proteins such as albumin, clotting factors and antiproteases, to metabolism and excretion of exogenous compounds such as drugs or toxins as well as endogenous compounds like hormones, ..
- The Primate Corpus Luteum: Functional Regression and Cardiovascular ImpactsRandy L Bogan; Fiscal Year: 2012..These changes may be due to direct ovarian effects on lipoprotein metabolism, and/or steroids secreted from the ovary having systemic effects on the liver or other organs...
- Paolo Fanti; Fiscal Year: 2014..generation of GSH and the MTh flavonolignans are inducers of many cellular enzymes participating in GSH metabolism, including GSH-reductase (GSH-R), GSH-peroxidase (GSH-Px), GSH-S-transferases (GST) and superoxide dismutase (..
- Iron-mediated vascular disease in sickle cell disease.John C Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..standardized measures of vascular endothelial function, biomarkers of oxidant stress, modulators of nitric oxide metabolism and iron loading is critical for the understanding of sickle vasculopathy and must be accomplished before an ..
- Pharmacogenetics of obesity and endocannabinergic modulation (POEM)Russell A Wilke; Fiscal Year: 2012..eCB/CB1 receptor signaling is involved in the regulation of food consumption and metabolism via multiple mechanisms: it regulates the rewarding properties of food via effects on central mesolimbic ..
- The gastric X/A-like (ghrelin) cell: A peripheral regulator of food intakeNILS WG LAMBRECHT; Fiscal Year: 2012..maintenance of body weight are regulated by a concerted action of sensing peripheral nutrient status and energy metabolism to the brain which integrates the signals with central inputs of circadian rhythm and psychological stressors...
- Physiological role of PRDM16 in brown fat development and energy balancePatrick Seale; Fiscal Year: 2011..Aim 2: We investigate the physiological requirement for PRDI\/I16 in BAT and whole body metabolism by creating and characterizing tissue-specific PRD/Wt6-deficient mice...
- Multi-targeted Countermeasures against Acute and Delayed Effects of OP ExposureJohn A Butera; Fiscal Year: 2013..g. reduced MW, LogP) and would provide one dimensional metabolism, pharmacokinetics, and safety profiles as opposed to co-administering two drugs where development metrics are ..
- VINCENT SCOTT TAGLIABRACCI; Fiscal Year: 2014..a bone- derived hormone implicated in the pathogenesis of many human diseases including disorders of mineral metabolism and chronic kidney disease...
- FASEB SRC on Lysophospholipd Mediators in Health and DiseaseJulie D Saba; Fiscal Year: 2011..Alterations in lysophospholipid metabolism and signaling also contribute to drug and radiation resistance, tumor angiogenesis, and progression of many ..
- Effective treatment of sleep apnea in prediabetes to reduce cardiometabolic riskEsra Tasali; Fiscal Year: 2010..So far, not a single study has examined the effects of CPAP on glucose metabolism specifically in prediabetes, a potentially reversible state in which the development of overt diabetes and its ..
- KRISTEN RACHEL VELLA; Fiscal Year: 2014..neuropeptide Y through the central thyroid axis and the melanocortin 4 receptor through hepatic thyroid hormone metabolism resulted in a 1st-author publication in Cell Metabolism...
- Novel Mitochondrial Mechanisms of Ethanol-Induced Cardiac Injury in Aged FemalesDONNA HOPE KORZICK; Fiscal Year: 2010..Of particular interest are adaptive changes in proteins associated with metabolism, oxidative stress, and cell death...
- Ashraf Gorgey; Fiscal Year: 2016..TRT on body composition (muscle CSA, VAT, %FM) and the metabolic profiles (glucose and lipid metabolism) in individuals with motor complete SCI...
- Patrice G Guyenet; Fiscal Year: 2015..stresses such as infection, hypotension, pain and hypoxia and they also contribute to the regulation of glucose metabolism. Collectively, these data suggest that the C1 cells mediate neuroendocrine responses (sympathoadrenal activation,..
- Role of SAMe on UBC9 and sumolyation in liver cancer and alcoholic liver injuryMaria Lauda Tomasi; Fiscal Year: 2012..is the principle biological methyl donor that is made in all mammalian cells as the first product of methionine metabolism, catalyzed by methionine adenosylmethionine (MAT)...
- Role of Txnip in adapting fuel metabolism to nutritional stateSIMON HUI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Mitochondrial dysfunction and abnormal fuel metabolism are linked to the development of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease...
- VINCENT COLLINS OFUKA NJAR; Fiscal Year: 2014..These CYP26 inhibitors are also called retinoic acid metabolism blocking agents (RAMBAs)...
- Jian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2014..B12 in the development of liver cancer;(4) to assess the role of genetic polymorphisms influencing methyl group metabolism in the development of liver cancer, and their modifying effect on the associations between methyl groups and ..
- Priyabrata Mukherjee; Fiscal Year: 2016..CBS is a metabolic enzyme involved in the metabolism of sulfur containing amino acid such as methionine (Met)...
- JAMES RUSSELL SOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2015..In the INS resistant state, myocardial and skeletal muscle glucose uptake and metabolism is impaired, leading to diastolic dysfunction, attenuated myocardial and skeletal muscle blood flow, and ..
- Sphingolipid Metabolism in Drosophila DevelopmentJulie D Saba; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sphingolipids serve structural membrane functions, whereas their metabolism produces signaling molecules involved in regulating mammalian development, immune function, inflammation and ..
- Role of SCD1 and Dietary Methionine Restriction on Energy HomeostasisERIC PAUL PLAISANCE; Fiscal Year: 2011..disease risk factors including insulin resistance, high blood pressure and dysregulation of lipid and glucose metabolism. Stearoyl-CoA desaturase- 1 (SCD1) is increased in obesity and catalyzes the conversion of saturated fatty acids ..
- Impact of the P479L Variant in CPT1A on Infant Mortality in AlaskaDavid M Koeller; Fiscal Year: 2011..Alterations of energy metabolism resulting from dysregulation of CPT1 affects insulin sensitivity, appetite regulation, and a growing list of ..
- Jonathan Savitz; Fiscal Year: 2016..I will develop a working knowledge of immunological function and understand the impact of cytokines and TRP-KYN metabolism on neuroinflammatory processes in the CNS. This training will take place under the mentorship of Drs...
- Craig T Morita; Fiscal Year: 2016..Directed changes in bacterial metabolism are made by modifying specific biochemical reactions or by introducing new ones...
- Enterococcus faecalis, Colorectal Cancer, and Bystander EffectsMark M Huycke; Fiscal Year: 2012..The role of lipid aldehydes and their metabolism on the susceptibility of epithelial target cells to CIN will be evaluated. The ability of E...
- KEVIN ROBERT VINCENT; Fiscal Year: 2014..will determine whether one of two resistance exercise protocols improves pain, physical function, and cartilage metabolism in older persons with knee OA. This is a repeated-measures, three group design...
- Bayar Thimmapaya; Fiscal Year: 2016..a pivotal role in energy homeostasis by orchestrating biochemical pathways of carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism and exhibits inherent compensatory regeneration capacity to regain partially lost metabolic functions...
- Gary Cecchini; Fiscal Year: 2014..Reducing equivalents generated by the TCA cycle and fatty acid metabolism are used by NADH-ubiquinone reductase (complex I), succinate-ubiquinone reductase (complex II), and ETF-quinone ..
- Functional Genomics of the Mitochondrial ProteomeDennis R Winge; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Mitochondria are essential organelles for cellular metabolism and survival...
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF INSULIN RESISTANCEMaureen J Charron; Fiscal Year: 2010..studies are proposed to test the response of high fat IU offspring to diets that alter body weight and metabolism including a high fat diabetogenic diet or a weight loss ketogenic diet during their adult life...
- Role of Polyamines in MYCN-Amplified NeuroblastomaANDRE BACHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2009..study whether MYCN overexpression in NB cells impacts endogenous ODC and other metabolic enzymes of polyamine metabolism, and whether this translates into changes in polyamine pools, cell cycle progression, and cell proliferation...
- A Soft Topical Antiandrogenic DrugWei Chu Xu; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION: Androgen action is the net result of opposing pathways of steroid biosynthesis and metabolism. It is now widely recognized that testosterone (T) is an androgenic precursor of the more potent 5[unreadable]-dihydrotestosterone ..
- Donald A McClain; Fiscal Year: 2016..In the course of this work, other important and heretofore unknown connections between dietary iron and metabolism emerged...
- Biology and Pathologies of Type V CollagenDaniel S Greenspan; Fiscal Year: 2013..of these mice, to determine the full range of 13(V) roles in ultrastructure, cell biology, development, metabolism, homeostasis and disease - the latter including possible heritable diseases and/or predispositions to chronic ..
- Retinoid Metabolism and Alcohol Induced DiseaseWilliam S Blaner; Fiscal Year: 2010..One adverse action of alcohol involves promotion of tissue and organ damage by impairing retinoid metabolism and actions in liver (where 70% of the body's retinoid is stored) and in peripheral tissues...
- Genetic and physiological causes of inherited Vascular and Metabolic DiseasesArya Mani; Fiscal Year: 2013..The current study goals are investigating the effect of the mutation on metabolism of glucose and insulin secretion and function in patients with this mutation.
- Insulin Signaling and the Heart in DiabetesEVAN DALE ABEL; Fiscal Year: 2011..discovered important roles for myocardial insulin signaling in the regulation of myocardial mitochondrial energy metabolism, and a role for insulin signaling in regulating myocardial size and in limiting injury in the presence of ..
- Robert T Means; Fiscal Year: 2014..However, the diagnostic importance of altered iron metabolism in ACD has led many investigators to consider that this feature denotes the dominant pathophysiologic mechanism ..
- Skeletal Muscle. Ca Release Control Inside the Sarcoplasmic Reticulum.Eduardo Rios; Fiscal Year: 2013..between rest and motion, thus influencing multiple aspects of our life, including physical conditioning, metabolism, and even body weight...
- David A Bernlohr; Fiscal Year: 2014..Specific Aim 4. Characterize cellular metabolism and the Trx2-ASK1-JNK pathway in animal and cell culture models...
- Hepcidin-based screening for infantile iron deficiencyMark D Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposal involves the application of a novel assay for the iron metabolism hormone hepcidin in the approach to prevent, diagnose, and treat iron deficiency in infants...
- Hydrodynamic forces modulate renal tubular functionRajeev Rohatgi; Fiscal Year: 2012..of hypertension is unknown, but some investigators have demonstrated that abnormal renal prostaglandin metabolism, which affects Na homeostasis, can lead to Na retention and hypertension...
- Pathobiology of Cystic Fibrosis-Related Diabetes in a Ferret ModelZoe Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2013..have high perinatal mortality from abnormal intestinal and pancreatic function, altered glucose and lipid metabolism, and lung infections...
- Inderjit Singh; Fiscal Year: 2014..AMPK), a phylogenetically conserved, intracellular energy sensor switch which helps regulate glucose and lipid metabolism, in the context of the survival and differentiation of oligodendrocyte (OP) progenitor cells (OPCs) in an ..
- Role of the Mammalian Siderophore in Cellular Iron Metabolism and ErythropoiesisLaxminarayana R Devireddy; Fiscal Year: 2012..a mammalian ligand for 24p3 as a prerequisite to understanding the role of 24p3 and its ligand in cellular iron metabolism. Mass spectrometry (MS) of mammalian-derived 24p3 identified Dihydroxy Benzoic Acid (DHBA) as a co-purifying ..
- DHAN V KALVAKOLANU; Fiscal Year: 2014..Binding protein-beta (C/EBP-2), a transcription factor known to regulate cell differentiation, energy metabolism, immune response, tumor growth and apoptosis...
- REGULATION OF GENE EXPRESSION BY DIETARY FATLisa M Salati; Fiscal Year: 2012..Much less is known about how non-pathological fluctuations in dietary fat intake alter intracellular metabolism and how these signaling actions affect events in the nucleus...
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2012..is to become an independent investigator in the areas of maternal nutrition and placental nutrient transport and metabolism. Her long-term career objective is to build a strong translational research program, utilizing appropriate ..
- DEBROSKI R HERBERT; Fiscal Year: 2016..necessary and sufficient for suppression of lethal immunopathology by producing a specific enzyme of L-arginine metabolism called arginase...
- Arthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2016..menthol cigarettes, studies of biological markers of smoking demonstrate that menthol itself inhibits nicotine metabolism, and that menthol cigarette smoking leads to elevated serum levels of nicotine and cotinine, and greater exhaled ..
- John S Davis; Fiscal Year: 2014..In both men and women steroids control many vital processes, including carbohydrate, lipid, and protein metabolism, and sexual function...
- Swati Joshi-Barve; Fiscal Year: 2014..Acrolein is also generated endogenously due to cellular metabolism, and this may constitute a significant source of intracellular acrolein in situations of oxidative stress and ..
- Sharon M Moe; Fiscal Year: 2014..This syndrome of interrelated bone disease, extraskeletal calcification, and disordered mineral metabolism is called Chronic Kidney Disease Mineral Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD)...
- UTPAL BHAGIRATH PAJVANI; Fiscal Year: 2015..development and thereafter remain quiescent unless inappropriately activated in cancer, in regulation of hepatic metabolism through its interaction with FoxO1, a transcription factor known to modulate insulin sensitivity...
- Thomas L Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2016..evolved in lower animalsto enable a wide range of physiological processes including smell, food consumption, metabolism, growth, reproduction and dormancy...
- Osteocalcin and Metabolic Risk Factors. The Framingham StudyYi Hsiang Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2011..formation protein uniquely secreted by osteoblasts, may play a crucial role in endocrine regulation of energy metabolism by enhancing b-cell proliferation, insulin production, insulin sensitivity and adiponectin expression as a ..
- Cellular Efflux and Metabolism of Protease InhibitorsAshim Mitra; Fiscal Year: 2004..of this study is to classify all anti-AIDS drugs, currently used clinically, under a new proposed Absorption-Metabolism Classification System (AMCS)...
- Absorption, distribution, metabolism, excretion (ADME) of chemicals in mammalsRochelle W Tyl; Fiscal Year: 2009Keywords;Absorption;Distribution;Metabolism;Excretion;ADME;Metabolite identification;toxicokinetics;Mechanisms of toxicity;2,3-butanedione;diacetyl;N,N-dimethylacetoacetamide;obliterative bronchiolitis;CYP;eugenol;safrole;estragole;..
- DRUG RESISTANCE AND PTERIDINE METABOLISM IN LEISHMANIAStephen M Beverley; Fiscal Year: 2010..identified through the study of antifolate-resistant Leishmania parasites, which has lead us into studies of the metabolism of the unconjugated pteridine biopterin and the conjugated pteridine folate, and the development and application ..
- THE ROLE OF LIPOXINS IN BONE CELL METABOLISMDimitris Tatakis; Fiscal Year: 1991..that leukotrienes (arachidonic acid metabolites derived from the lipoxygenase pathway) may also affect bone metabolism. However, there appears to be no information available about the possible role of lipoxins in bone physiology...
- Assessment of Nicotine Metabolism Among Underserved Pregnant Women from NE SCRIPTDonna Parker; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Assessment of Nicotine Metabolism Among Underserved Pregnant Women from NE SCRIPT Principal Investigator: Parker, Donna R...
- Energy Balance During Ketosis in Rat BrainJOSEPH CHARLES LAMANNA; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The uptake and metabolism of ketone bodies in brain have been of interest to researchers and clinicians for decades but how they affect the coupling of blood flow and glucose metabolism, especially ..
- Diesel, Allergens and Gene Interaction and Child AtopyGrace LeMasters; Fiscal Year: 2009..This revision also serves to create new research objectives to explore the associations of nicotine metabolism and oxidative stress genetics outside of the scope of the parent grant, and will be completed in less than one ..
- CALCIUM INTAKE, METABOLISM & GESTATIONAL BLOOD PRESSURECynthia Morris; Fiscal Year: 1990The importance of maintaining dietary calcium intake and normal calcium metabolism for optimal regulation of arterial pressure in humans and experimental models has been demonstrated by us and other investigators...