- Autophagy and metabolism
Joshua D Rabinowitz
Department of Chemistry and Lewis Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics, 241 Carl Icahn Laboratory, Washington Road, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Science 330:1344-8. 2010
..The resulting breakdown products are inputs to cellular metabolism, through which they are used to generate energy and to build new proteins and membranes...
- Circadian integration of metabolism and energetics
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Science 330:1349-54. 2010
..Here, we review advances in understanding the interrelationship among circadian disruption, sleep deprivation, obesity, and diabetes and implications for rational therapeutics for these conditions...
- A general model for the origin of allometric scaling laws in biology
G B West
Theoretical Division, T 8, Mail Stop B285, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Science 276:122-6. 1997
..More generally, the model predicts structural and functional properties of vertebrate cardiovascular and respiratory systems, plant vascular systems, insect tracheal tubes, and other distribution networks...
- Myocardial substrate metabolism in the normal and failing heart
William C Stanley
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4970, USA
Physiol Rev 85:1093-129. 2005
The alterations in myocardial energy substrate metabolism that occur in heart failure, and the causes and consequences of these abnormalities, are poorly understood...
- Network biology: understanding the cell's functional organization
Albert Laszlo Barabasi
Department of Physics, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
Nat Rev Genet 5:101-13. 2004
- The systems biology markup language (SBML): a medium for representation and exchange of biochemical network models
Control and Dynamical Systems, MC 107 81, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Bioinformatics 19:524-31. 2003
..Molecular biotechnology now makes it possible to build elaborate systems models, but the systems biology community needs information standards if models are to be shared, evaluated and developed cooperatively...
- Hierarchical organization of modularity in metabolic networks
Department of Physics, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
Science 297:1551-5. 2002
..Within Escherichia coli, the uncovered hierarchical modularity closely overlaps with known metabolic functions. The identified network architecture may be generic to system-level cellular organization...
- The androgen receptor fuels prostate cancer by regulating central metabolism and biosynthesis
Charles E Massie
CRUK Cambridge Research Institute, Cambridge, UK
EMBO J 30:2719-33. 2011
..cancer and regulates cancer cell growth via its unexpected role as a hormone-dependent modulator of anabolic metabolism. In conclusion, it is possible to progress from transcriptional studies to a promising therapeutic target by ..
- Perinatal exposure to high-fat diet programs energy balance, metabolism and behavior in adulthood
Elinor L Sullivan
Department of Neuroscience, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Neuroendocrinology 93:1-8. 2011
..The perinatal environment plays an important role in programming many aspects of physiology and behavior including metabolism, body weight set point, energy balance regulation and predisposition to mental health-related disorders such as ..
- Reactome: a knowledgebase of biological pathways
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 33:D428-32. 2005
..model allows us to represent many diverse processes in the human system, including the pathways of intermediary metabolism, regulatory pathways, and signal transduction, and high-level processes, such as the cell cycle...
- Systematic evaluation of objective functions for predicting intracellular fluxes in Escherichia coli
Institute of Molecular Systems Biology, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Mol Syst Biol 3:119. 2007
- At the crossroad between immunity and metabolism: focus on leptin
Research laboratory 9 NEIRID LAB Neuroendocrine Interactions in Rheumatology and Inflammation Disease, Building C, Level 2, Institute of Medical Research IDIS, Santiago University Clinical Hospital, Calle Choupana s n, Santiago de Compostela, 15706, Spain
Expert Rev Clin Immunol 6:801-8. 2010
..most important adipokines secreted by fat cells, with a variety of physiological roles related to the control of metabolism, energy homeostasis and inflammatory response...
- A role for gene duplication and natural variation of gene expression in the evolution of metabolism
Daniel J Kliebenstein
Department of Plant Sciences, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e1838. 2008
..Finally, the ability of gene duplicates to diverge may be limited by their biological function...
- Exercise training and protein metabolism: influences of contraction, protein intake, and sex-based differences
Nicholas A Burd
Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Dept of Kinesiology, McMaster Univ, 1280 Main St, West Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4K1
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:1692-701. 2009
..Furthermore, we examine the underlying anabolic signaling pathways and molecules that regulate these processes...
- FGFs and metabolism
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Research Laboratories, Biotechnology Discovery Research, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Curr Opin Pharmacol 9:805-10. 2009
..morphogenesis, angiogenesis, hematopoiesis, and survival, this decade provided clues on FGF roles in metabolism. In particular, 'hormone-like' FGF19, FGF21, and FGF23, were shown to be involved in glucose, lipid, bile acid, ..
- Expansion of the BioCyc collection of pathway/genome databases to 160 genomes
Peter D Karp
Bioinformatics Research Group, SRI International EK207, 333 Ravenswood Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 33:6083-9. 2005
..Only by harnessing the expertise of many scientists we can hope to produce biological databases, which accurately reflect the depth and breadth of knowledge that the biomedical research community is producing...
- Coral larvae under ocean acidification: survival, metabolism, and metamorphosis
Sesoko Station, Tropical Biosphere Research Center, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e14521. 2011
..These results imply that acidified seawater impacts larval physiology, suggesting that suppressed metabolism and metamorphosis may alter the dispersal potential of larvae and subsequently reduce the resilience of coral ..
- The clinical significance of betaine, an osmolyte with a key role in methyl group metabolism
Biochemistry Unit, Canterbury Health Laboratories, Christchurch, New Zealand
Clin Biochem 43:732-44. 2010
..Its metabolism methylates homocysteine to methionine, also producing N,N-dimethylglycine...
- The KEGG databases at GenomeNet
Bioinformatics Center, Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 30:42-6. 2002
..The KEGG databases are updated daily and made freely available (http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/)...
- Epigenetics and metabolism in 2011: Epigenetics, the life-course and metabolic disease
Peter D Gluckman
Liggins Institute, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Nat Rev Endocrinol 8:74-6. 2012
..Data published in 2011 suggest that epigenetic analysis could potentially have utility as a marker of early metabolic pathology and might enable early life prophylaxis...
- Bioavailability and metabolism of fucoxanthin in rats: structural characterization of metabolites by LC-MS (APCI)
Ravi Kumar Sangeetha
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute, CSIR, Mysore, 570 020, India
Mol Cell Biochem 333:299-310. 2010
This study reports bioavailability and metabolism of fucoxanthin (FUCO) from brown algae Padina tetrastromatica in rats. Rats were divided into two groups (n = 25/group)...
- Metabolite profiling for plant functional genomics
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, 14424 Potsdam, Germany
Nat Biotechnol 18:1157-61. 2000
..These results demonstrate the use of metabolite profiling as a tool to significantly extend and enhance the power of existing functional genomics approaches...
- A metabolome study of the steady-state relation between central metabolism, amino acid biosynthesis and penicillin production in Penicillium chrysogenum
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, Julianalaan 67, 2628 BC Delft, The Netherlands
Metab Eng 10:10-23. 2008
The relation between central metabolism and the penicillin biosynthesis pathway in Penicillium chrysogenum was studied by manipulating the steady-state flux in both pathways...
- Internal desynchronization in a model of night-work by forced activity in rats
Departamento de Anatomia, Facultad de Medicina, Edificio B 4 Piso, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico DF 04510, Mexico
Neuroscience 154:922-31. 2008
..The present data suggest that in the night worker the combination of work and eating during working hours may be the cause of internal desynchronization...
- Diet, metabolism and lifespan in Drosophila
Matthew D W Piper
UCL Centre for Research on Ageing, Department of Biology, University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Exp Gerontol 40:857-62. 2005
..Current data indicate lifespan-extension by DR is likely to involve both enhancement of various defense and detoxification mechanisms and a complex range of metabolic alterations that make energy available for these processes...
- Pathophysiologic response to severe burn injury
Marc G Jeschke
Shriners Hospitals for Children, University Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA
Ann Surg 248:387-401. 2008
..To improve clinical outcome and to determine new treatment options, we studied the pathophysiologic response postburn in a large prospective, single center, clinical trial...
- From measurements of metabolites to metabolomics: an 'on the fly' perspective illustrated by recent studies of carbon-nitrogen interactions
Departments of Metabolic Networks and Molecular Physiology, Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476, Golm, Germany
Curr Opin Biotechnol 14:136-44. 2003
..A major future challenge concerns the integration of the information gained from metabolite profiling into an accessible body of knowledge...
- Choline metabolism and risk of breast cancer in a population-based study
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mt Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
FASEB J 22:2045-52. 2008
Choline is an essential nutrient required for methyl group metabolism, but its role in carcinogenesis and tumor progression is not well understood...
- Dynamic flux balance analysis of diauxic growth in Escherichia coli
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716 USA
Biophys J 83:1331-40. 2002
..Therefore, dynamic FBA provides a framework for analyzing the transience of metabolism due to metabolic reprogramming and for obtaining insights for the design of metabolic networks.
- Regulation of growth and metabolism by imprinted genes
F M Smith
Centre for Regenerative Medicine and Developmental Biology Programme, Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Bath, UK
Cytogenet Genome Res 113:279-91. 2006
..to influence energy homeostasis and some, including Igf2 and Grb10, may coordinate growth with glucose-regulated metabolism. Since perturbation of fetal growth can be correlated with metabolic disorders in adulthood these imprinted ..
- Randomized trial of the effect of antipyresis by metamizol, propacetamol or external cooling on metabolism, hemodynamics and inflammatory response
Surgical Intensive Care Division, University Hospital of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Intensive Care Med 30:401-7. 2004
..We investigated the metabolic, hemodynamic, and inflammatory responses of pharmacological and physical therapies aimed at reducing body temperature in febrile critically ill patients...
- Genome-scale microbial in silico models: the constraints-based approach
Nathan D Price
Department of Bioengineering, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 2093 0412, USA
Trends Biotechnol 21:162-9. 2003
..These results are useful as a basis for iterative model building and for several practical applications...
- Bow ties, metabolism and disease
Emory Anesthiology Research Labs, 1462 Clifton Rd NE, Room 420, Atlanta GA 30322, USA
Trends Biotechnol 22:446-50. 2004
..Large-scale organizational frameworks such as the bow tie are necessary starting points for higher-resolution modeling of complex biologic processes..
- The hypocretins as sensors for metabolism and arousal
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304 5742, USA
J Physiol 587:33-40. 2009
..Therefore, circuits controlling both sleep and metabolism are likely to play a role in these physiopathological conditions...
- NMR-based metabolic profiling and metabonomic approaches to problems in molecular toxicology
Department of Biomolecular Medicine, Surgery, Oncology, Reproductive Biology and Anesthetics Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, London, UK
Chem Res Toxicol 21:9-27. 2008
..The use of biological fluids as a source of whole organism metabolic information enhances the use of this approach in minimally invasive longitudinal studies...
- Computational prediction of human metabolic pathways from the complete human genome
Bioinformatics Research Group, SRI International, 333 Ravenswood Ave, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Genome Biol 6:R2. 2005
..Pathway assignments place genes in their larger biological context, and are a necessary first step toward quantitative modeling of metabolism.
- Metabolism strikes back: metabolic flux regulates cell signaling
Christian M Metallo
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Genes Dev 24:2717-22. 2010
..This mechanism ensures that cells do not engage in anabolic metabolism when nutrients are limiting, and highlights how substrate availability for protein modifications can modulate ..
- Pyruvate:ferredoxin oxidoreductase and thioredoxin reductase are involved in 5-nitroimidazole activation while flavin metabolism is linked to 5-nitroimidazole resistance in Giardia lamblia
Institute of Specific Prophylaxis and Tropical Medicine, Center for Pathophysiology, Infectiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:1756-65. 2011
..Resistance to metronidazole has been associated with down-regulation of PFOR and Fd. The aim of this study was to determine whether the PFOR/Fd couple is the only pathway involved in metronidazole activation in Giardia...
- From sirtuin biology to human diseases: an update
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 287:42444-52. 2012
..In this minireview, we provide an update on the known roles for each of the seven mammalian sirtuins in these areas...
- The fourth dimension of life: fractal geometry and allometric scaling of organisms
G B West
Theoretical Division, MS B285, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Science 284:1677-9. 1999
..These design principles are independent of detailed dynamics and explicit models and should apply to virtually all organisms...
- Evidence for a proximate influence of winter temperature on metabolism in passerine birds
D L Swanson
Department of Biology, University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD 57069 2390, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 72:566-75. 1999
..Least-squares regression revealed significant negative relationships for normalized basal and summit metabolism against mean winter temperature for all species pooled (R2=0.62 to 0.69, P</=0.001)...
- 13C metabolic flux analysis
Department of Simulation, IMR, University of Siegen, Paul Bonatz Strasse 9 11, D 57068 Siegen, Germany
Metab Eng 3:195-206. 2001
..It allows the detailed quantification of all intracellular fluxes in the central metabolism of a microorganism...
- Organizational invariance and metabolic closure: analysis in terms of (M,R) systems
Juan Carlos Letelier
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Chile, Casilla 653, Santiago, Chile
J Theor Biol 238:949-61. 2006
..formulation of (M,R) systems in terms of mappings and sets of mappings, which is grounded in the metaphor of metabolism as a mathematical mapping...
- Diabetes and protein metabolism
Medical Department M, Aarhus University Hospital, Medical Research Laboratories, Aarhus C 8000, Denmark
Diabetes 57:3-4. 2008
- PPARdelta/beta: the lobbyist switching macrophage allegiance in favor of metabolism
Center of Integrative Genomics, Faculty of Biology and Medicine, University of Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Cell Metab 7:467-9. 2008
..In two studies by Kang et al. (2008) and Odegaard et al. (2008) in this issue of Cell Metabolism, we learn that alternative activation (M2a) of resident macrophages in liver and adipose tissue depends highly ..
- Bone and metabolism: a complex crosstalk
Laboratory for Experimental Medicine and Endocrinology, Department of Experimental Medicine, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Horm Res 71:134-8. 2009
Until recently, communication from metabolism to bone was considered purely unidirectional, involving complex interactions among an adipocyte-derived factor (leptin), the sympathetic nervous system and neuropeptides...
- Metabolism and bioavailability of flavonoids in chemoprevention: current analytical strategies and future prospectus
Jeevan K Prasain
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Purdue UAB Botanicals Center for Age Related Disease, UAB Center for Nutrient Gene Interaction in Cancer Prevention, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Mol Pharm 4:846-64. 2007
..behavior of these compounds following oral ingestion is needed as well as their absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion (ADME)...
- Hypothalamic sites of leptin action linking metabolism and reproduction
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hypothalamic Research, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9077, USA
Neuroendocrinology 93:9-18. 2011
..In this review, we discuss the recent advances in the field focused on the identification of potential site(s) or specific neuronal populations involved in leptin's effects in the neuroendocrine reproductive axis...
- Distinct effects of ionizing radiation on in vivo murine kidney and brain normal tissue gene expression
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brain Tumor Center of Wake Forest University, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:3823-30. 2006
..As such, the aim of the present study was to identify candidate genes involved in the development of radiation injury in the murine kidney and brain using microarray analysis...
- Transplantation of adipose tissue and stem cells: role in metabolism and disease
Thien T Tran
Joslin Diabetes Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Nat Rev Endocrinol 6:195-213. 2010
..metabolic effects, subcutaneous white adipose tissue and brown adipose tissue have the potential to benefit metabolism by improving glucose homeostasis and increasing energy consumption...
- H2S induced hypometabolism in mice is missing in sedated sheep
Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania, United States
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 160:109-15. 2008
..We measured metabolism in conscious mice (24 g) exposed to H(2)S (60 ppm) at an ambient temperature of 23-24 degrees C...
- A salvage pathway for phytol metabolism in Arabidopsis
Department of Molecular Physiology, Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
J Biol Chem 281:2470-7. 2006
..Thus, Arabidopsis contains a distinct enzymatic machinery for redirecting free phytol released from chlorophyll degradation into chloroplast lipid metabolism.
- Adenine nucleotide metabolism in human blood--important roles for leukocytes and erythrocytes
Centre for Integrated Systems Biology and Medicine, Institute of Clinical Research, University of Nottingham, UK
J Thromb Haemost 3:2331-9. 2005
..Rapid metabolism of ADP and ATP by endothelial cells is important in protecting platelets from their effects...
- The circadian clock and metabolism
Institute of Biochemistry, Food Science and Nutrition, Robert H Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Clin Sci (Lond) 120:65-72. 2011
..and physiological functions in addition to the expression and/or activity of enzymes and hormones involved in metabolism. In turn, key metabolic enzymes and transcription activators interact with and affect the core clock mechanism...
- HMDB: the Human Metabolome Database
David S Wishart
Department of Computing Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E8
Nucleic Acids Res 35:D521-6. 2007
..HMDB) is currently the most complete and comprehensive curated collection of human metabolite and human metabolism data in the world...
- Effects of olanzapine and haloperidol on the metabolic status of healthy men
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:118-25. 2010
..The aim of this study was to determine the effect of short-term olanzapine (atypical antipsychotic drug) and haloperidol (conventional antipsychotic drug) treatment on glucose and lipid metabolism.
- Metabonomics technologies and their applications in physiological monitoring, drug safety assessment and disease diagnosis
John C Lindon
Biological Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences, Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, UK
Biomarkers 9:1-31. 2004
..review, metabonomics, a combination of data-rich analytical chemical measurements and chemometrics for profiling metabolism in complex systems, is described and its applications are reviewed...
- Chemometrics in metabonomics
Research Group for Chemometrics, Institute of Chemistry, Umea University, Sweden
J Proteome Res 6:469-79. 2007
..This is illustrated by examples from the literature...
- A minimal model of metabolism-based chemotaxis
Matthew D Egbert
Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Robotics, University of Sussex, Brighton, United Kingdom
PLoS Comput Biol 6:e1001004. 2010
Since the pioneering work by Julius Adler in the 1960's, bacterial chemotaxis has been predominantly studied as metabolism-independent. All available simulation models of bacterial chemotaxis endorse this assumption...
- Metabolomics: a global biochemical approach to drug response and disease
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 48:653-83. 2008
Metabolomics is the study of metabolism at the global level. This rapidly developing new discipline has important potential implications for pharmacologic science...
- Transcriptional regulation of metabolism
Center for Integrative Genomics, National Centre of Competence in Research Frontiers in Genetics, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Physiol Rev 86:465-514. 2006
Our understanding of metabolism is undergoing a dramatic shift. Indeed, the efforts made towards elucidating the mechanisms controlling the major regulatory pathways are now being rewarded...
- Metabolomics provide new insight on the metabolism of dietary phytochemicals in rats
Unite de Nutrition Humaine, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Recherche de Clermont Ferrand Theix, F 63122 St Genes Champanelle, France
J Nutr 138:1282-7. 2008
..The latter can be characterized by a metabolomics approach. In this work, we compared the metabolism of lignins to that of the structurally related ferulic acid (FA) and sinapic acid (SA)...
- Mitotic activity of rat muscle satellite cells in response to serum stimulation: relation with cellular metabolism
Aude E Barani
Laboratoire de Physiologie, Groupe Physiologie et Physiopathologie de l Exercice et du Handicap, Groupement d Intérêt Public Exercice Sport Santé, Faculte de Medecine, 15 rue Ambroise Paré, 42023 Saint Etienne, France
Exp Cell Res 283:196-205. 2003
..of energetic and proteolytic metabolisms, including an increase in the relative contribution of glycolytic metabolism for energy production, an increase in proteasome and matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 activities, and a ..
- Reconstruction of metabolic networks from genome data and analysis of their global structure for various organisms
GBF German Research Center for Biotechnology, Microbial Systems, Mascheroder Weg 1, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany
Bioinformatics 19:270-7. 2003
..These networks are often very large and complex. To properly understand and analyze the global properties of metabolic networks, methods for rationally representing and quantitatively analyzing their structure are needed...
- In vitro fertilization improves childhood growth and metabolism
Harriet L Miles
The National Research Centre for Growth and Development and Liggins Institute, University of Auckland, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3441-5. 2007
..There is limited information regarding the long-term outcome of children born after in vitro fertilization (IVF), although an increase in rare imprinted gene disorders such as Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome has been reported...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma coactivator-1alpha in muscle links metabolism to inflammation
Biozentrum, University of Basel, Basel and Institute of Physiology and Zurich Center for Integrative Human Physiology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 36:1139-43. 2009
1. In higher eukaryotes, metabolism and immunity are tightly coupled...
- Altered body composition and metabolism in the male offspring of high fat-fed rats
Alexandra J Buckley
School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia
Metabolism 54:500-7. 2005
..fat can modify the programming of an offspring's glucose tolerance, insulin sensitivity, body composition, lipid metabolism, and insulin signaling...
- Online monitoring of cellular metabolism in the MCF-7 carcinoma cell line treated with phytoestrogen extracts
Department Biological Sciences, University of Rostock, Institute of Biological Sciences, Rostock, Germany
Anticancer Res 30:1587-92. 2010
..The aim of this study was to isolate phytoestrogens from the flax root of Linum usitatissimum and to test their effect on cellular metabolism in the human mammalian carcinoma cell line MCF-7 using the Bionas 2500 analysis system.
- Conserved metabolic regulatory functions of sirtuins
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, San Francisco, CA 94158, USA
Cell Metab 7:104-12. 2008
..The earliest function of sirtuins therefore may have been regulation of cellular metabolism in response to nutrient availability...
- Intracellular mechanisms of metabolism regulation: the role of signaling via the mammalian target of rapamycin pathway and other routes
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
Am J Cardiol 101:16E-21E. 2008
..Our observations provide molecular evidence that supports the use of anabolic nutrients such as AAs, together with standard therapies, to overcome insulin resistance syndrome...
- MicroRNAs in metabolism and metabolic diseases
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 76:225-33. 2011
..NAD(+)-dependent sirtuin SIRT6, and the insulin signaling intermediate IRS2, key regulators of glucose and lipid metabolism. These results have revealed a highly integrated microRNA (miRNA)-host gene circuit governing cholesterol/lipid ..
- Suppression of circulating free fatty acids with acipimox in chronic heart failure patients changes whole body metabolism but does not affect cardiac function
Department of Cardiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby, Aarhus, Denmark
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 299:H1220-5. 2010
..In conclusion, acipimox caused minor changes in whole body metabolism and decreased the FFA supply, but a long-term reduction in circulating FFAs with acipimox did not change ..
- Integrating cellular metabolism into a multiscale whole-body model
Bayer Technology Services GmbH, Computational Systems Biology, Leverkusen, Germany
PLoS Comput Biol 8:e1002750. 2012
Cellular metabolism continuously processes an enormous range of external compounds into endogenous metabolites and is as such a key element in human physiology...
- A novel two-component system involved in the transition to secondary metabolism in Streptomyces coelicolor
Centro Nacional de Biotecnologia, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e31760. 2012
..Therefore, this two-component system in S. coelicolor seems to influence various processes characterised by the transition from primary to secondary metabolism, as determined by proteomic and transcriptomic analyses.
- Effects of intermittent hydrostatic pressure and BMP-2 on osteoarthritic human chondrocyte metabolism in vitro
R L Smith
Bone and Joint RR and D Center, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
J Orthop Res 29:361-8. 2011
- Effects of short-term oral salbutamol administration on exercise endurance and metabolism
Laboratoire National de Dépistage du Dopage, Chatenay Malabry, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 89:430-6. 2000
- Application of stable isotopes and mass isotopomer distribution analysis to the study of intermediary metabolism of nutrients
B J Bequette
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park, 20742, USA
J Anim Sci 84:E50-9. 2006
..This paper highlights aspects of animal nutrition and metabolism in which [U-13C] substrates and MID can be applied to investigations of amino acid, carbohydrate, and fat ..
- CD36, a scavenger receptor involved in immunity, metabolism, angiogenesis, and behavior
Roy L Silverstein
Department of Cell Biology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Sci Signal 2:re3. 2009
..Identification of the precise CD36 signaling pathways in specific cells elicited in response to specific ligands may yield novel targets for drug development...
- Sir2 links chromatin silencing, metabolism, and aging
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139 USA
Genes Dev 14:1021-6. 2000
- In silico techniques for the study and prediction of xenobiotic metabolism: a review
S A Kulkarni
Safe Environments Programme, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Xenobiotica 35:955-73. 2005
Knowledge about metabolism is very important to understand the health risks posed by chemicals...
- Expression of hepatitis B virus proteins in transgenic mice alters lipid metabolism and induces oxidative stress in the liver
Department of Medical Genetics, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, PR China
J Hepatol 48:12-9. 2008
- Direct quantitative trait locus mapping of mammalian metabolic phenotypes in diabetic and normoglycemic rat models
Marc Emmanuel Dumas
Imperial College London, Department of Biomolecular Medicine, Division of Surgery, Oncology, Reproductive Biology and Anaesthetics, Faculty of Medicine, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Nat Genet 39:666-72. 2007
- Nutrition and metabolism: non-alcoholic fatty liver disease - pathogenesis, cardiovascular risk and therapy
Gerald F Watts
Metabolic Research Centre, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, Royal Perth Hospital, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Curr Opin Lipidol 19:92-4. 2008
- Evolution of the protein repertoire
Structural Studies Division, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK
Science 300:1701-3. 2003
..Proteins of known structure can be matched to about 50% of genome sequences, and these data provide a quantitative description and can suggest hypotheses about the origins of these processes...
- Regulatory roles of leptin in reproduction and metabolism: a comparative review
D A Zieba
Animal Reproduction Laboratory, Texas A and M University Agricultural Research Station, 3507 Hwy 59E, Beeville, TX 78102, USA
Domest Anim Endocrinol 29:166-85. 2005
..Future therapeutic uses for recombinant leptin that exploit states of nutritional hypersensitization, and identification of genetic markers for genotypic variation in leptin resistance, are currently under investigation...
- Systematic identification of conserved metabolites in GC/MS data for metabolomics and biomarker discovery
Mark P Styczynski
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Room 56 469c, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Anal Chem 79:966-73. 2007
..By systematically cataloguing conserved metabolite peaks prior to data analysis methods, our approach broadens the scope of metabolomics and facilitates biomarker discovery...
- From prebiotic chemistry to cellular metabolism--the chemical evolution of metabolism before Darwinian natural selection
Instituto del Metabolismo Celular, Calle Manuel de Falla no 15, La Laguna, 38208 Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
J Theor Biol 252:505-19. 2008
It is generally assumed that the complex map of metabolism is a result of natural selection working at the molecular level...
- 14-3-3-affinity purification of over 200 human phosphoproteins reveals new links to regulation of cellular metabolism, proliferation and trafficking
Mercedes Pozuelo Rubio
MRC Protein Phosphorylation Unit, School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Biochem J 379:395-408. 2004
..cell growth, regulators of cell proliferation, including enzymes of DNA replication, proteins of anti-oxidative metabolism, regulators of actin dynamics and cellular trafficking, and proteins whose deregulation has been implicated in ..
- Depression of cell metabolism and proliferation by membrane-permeable and -impermeable modulators: role for AMP-to-ATP ratio
Michael A Menze
Division of Cellular, Developmental and Integrative Biology, Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 288:R501-10. 2005
..a nonhydrolyzable analog of 5'-AMP and potent activator of AMP-activated protein kinase, significantly depresses metabolism and proliferation of macrophages...
- The effect of oral glucose loads on tissue metabolism during angiotensin II receptor and beta-receptor blockade in obese hypertensive subjects
Franz Volhard Clinical Research Center, Charité Campus Buch and HELIOS Klinikum, Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Horm Metab Res 38:323-9. 2006
..The phenomenon could be related to a direct angiotensin II effect on tissue metabolism. To address the issue, we recruited eighteen obese hypertensive patients...
- Metabolism in the era of molecular biology
Richard W Hanson
Department of Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4935, USA
J Biol Chem 280:1705-15. 2005
- Influence of temperature on metabolism and breathing during mammalian ontogenesis
Jacopo P Mortola
Department of Physiology, McGill University, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, Montreal, Quebec, Que, Canada H3G 1Y6
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 149:155-64. 2005
..Presumably, this indicates that respiratory regulation develops independently from the individual's metabolic history...
- Metabolism and calcium antagonism of sodium alginate oligosaccharides
Central Research Institute, Maruha Group Inc, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 71:1819-25. 2007
..Our results suggest that NaAOs are substantially excreted into the feces, although some of them may be absorbed internally, exerting antagonist activity towards the calcium channels, especially voltage-operated calcium channels...
- A network perspective on metabolism and aging
Quinlyn A Soltow
Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Integr Comp Biol 50:844-54. 2010
..Here, we advocate the use of metabolic networks to expand the work from genomics and proteomics. As metabolism is the final fingerprint of functionality and has been implicated in multiple theories of aging, metabolomic ..
- The trade-off between rate and yield in the design of microbial metabolism
S A Frank
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 2525, USA
J Evol Biol 23:609-13. 2010
- The modulation of androgen metabolism by estradiol, minocycline, and indomethacin in a cell culture model
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dental Sciences, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
J Periodontol 73:585-90. 2002
..to clarify the proanabolic effects of minocycline and indomethacin by studying their effects on androgen metabolism and mediation by estradiol...
- Improving glucose and glutamine metabolism of human HEK 293 and Trichoplusia ni insect cells engineered to express a cytosolic pyruvate carboxylase enzyme
Cynthia B Elias
Animal Cell Technology Dept, Biotechnology Research Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4P 2R2, and Cell Culture Technology Dept, German Research Centre for Biotechnology mbH, Braunschweig, Germany
Biotechnol Prog 19:90-7. 2003
..Differences in the amino acid utilization pattern were also observed, indicating changes in the basic metabolism of the cells...
- Effects of dietary fatty acids and exercise on body-weight regulation and metabolism in rats
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Obes Res 10:947-55. 2002
To assess the interaction of high-fat diets (HF) made with different dietary fatty acids and exercise on body-weight regulation, adiposity, and metabolism.
- Sleep and metabolism: shared circuits, new connections
Department of Psychiatry, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, CA 94304 5742, USA
Trends Endocrinol Metab 19:362-70. 2008
..New optical tools that remotely control neuronal circuit activity provide an effective means to understand the cooperativity of shared circuits in regulating hypothalamic functions such as sleep and metabolism.
- Hydroxycitrate has long-term effects on feeding behavior, body weight regain and metabolism after body weight loss in male rats
Institute of Animal Sciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH 8603 Schwerzenbach, Switzerland
J Nutr 132:1977-82. 2002
..The fact that HCA did not change plasma BHB concentration does not support a role for increased hepatic fatty acid oxidation in the anorectic effect of HCA...
- Metabonomics in toxicology: a review
Donald G Robertson
Metabonomics Evaluation Group, Department of World Wide Safety Sciences, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Toxicol Sci 85:809-22. 2005
..The jargon, logistics, and applications of the technology are covered in some detail with emphasis on recent work in the field...