Genomes and Genes
Summary: The act and process of chewing and grinding food in the mouth.
Publications297 found, 100 shown here
- Influence of dentition status on physical disability, mental impairment, and mortality in institutionalized elderly peopleY Shimazaki
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Kyushu University Faculty of Dental Science, Japan
J Dent Res 80:340-5. 2001The loss of teeth is known to influence the mastication of foods and nutritional status. Therefore, we hypothesize that poor dentition status can impair the systemic health of the aged...
- Clinical validation of atlas-based auto-segmentation of multiple target volumes and normal tissue (swallowing/mastication) structures in the head and neckDavid N Teguh
Department of Radiation Oncology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81:950-7. 2011..To validate and clinically evaluate autocontouring using atlas-based autosegmentation (ABAS) of computed tomography images...
- Measuring patient satisfaction with mandibular prosthesesM A Awad
McGill University Faculty of Dentistry, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 26:400-5. 1998..The combined effect of these factors explained most of the variation in the satisfaction ratings...
- Validation of the Eichner index in relation to occlusal force and masticatory performanceKazunoir Ikebe
Department of Prosthodontics and Oral Rehabilitation, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1 8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Int J Prosthodont 23:521-4. 2010....
- Gum chewing reduces postoperative ileus? A systematic review and meta-analysisEmma J Noble
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Derriford Hospital, Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8DH, UK
Int J Surg 7:100-5. 2009..An important cause of delayed recovery from intestinal surgery is postoperative ileus. Gum chewing is a form of sham feeding, which could encourage gastrointestinal motility through cephalic-vagal stimulation...
- Finite-element analysis of biting behavior and bone stress in the facial skeletons of batsElizabeth R Dumont
Department of Biology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts 01003, USA
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 283:319-30. 2005..The same was not true of Cynopterus, where factors other than feeding appear to have had a more significant impact on craniofacial morphology...
- Effect of bite size and oral processing time of a semisolid food on satiationNicolien Zijlstra
Top Institute Food and Nutrition, Wageningen, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 90:269-75. 2009..In previous studies we showed a clear effect of viscosity on ad libitum food intake and found indications that eating rate, bite size, and oral processing time (OPT) could play a role...
- Food transport and bolus formation during complete feeding sequences on foods of different initial consistencyK M Hiiemae
Department of Bioengineering and Neuroscience, and Institute for Sensory Research, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York 13244 5290, USA
Dysphagia 14:31-42. 1999..There was no predictable tongue-palate contact at any time in the sequence. A new model for bolus formation and deglutition is proposed...
- Betel nut chewing is associated with hypertension in Taiwanese type 2 diabetic patientsChin Hsiao Tseng
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, and National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Hypertens Res 31:417-23. 2008..805+/-0.618 and 1.198+/-0.393. In conclusion, betel nut chewing was significantly associated with hypertension in Taiwanese patients with T2DM and the association was stronger in women...
- Systemic release of endotoxins induced by gentle mastication: association with periodontitis severitySabine O Geerts
Department of Periodontology Bucco Dental Surgery, University of Liege, Belgium
J Periodontol 73:73-8. 2002..The aim of the present study was to test the influence of gentle mastication on the occurrence of endotoxemia in patients with or without periodontal disease.
- Saliva and gastrointestinal functions of taste, mastication, swallowing and digestionA M Pedersen
Copenhagen Gerodontological Oral Health Research Centre, Department of Clinical Oral Physiology, Anatomy, Pathology and Medicine, School of Dentistry, Denmark
Oral Dis 8:117-29. 2002..paper reviews the role of human saliva and its compositional elements in relation to the GI functions of taste, mastication, bolus formation, enzymatic digestion, and swallowing...
- Areca nut chewing and mortality in an elderly cohort studyTzuo Yun Lan
Division of Gerontology Research, National Health Research Institutes, No 161 Ming Chuan East Road Section 6, Taipei 114, Taiwan
Am J Epidemiol 165:677-83. 2007..Further studies are needed to confirm these findings and to better understand the possible mechanisms of death...
- Simultaneous real-time measurements of mastication, swallowing, nasal airflow, and aroma releaseM Hodgson
Division of Food Sciences, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus, Loughborough, Leics, LE12 5RD, UK
J Agric Food Chem 51:5052-7. 2003b>Mastication, swallowing, breath flow, and aroma release were measured simultaneously in vivo using electromyography, electroglottography, a turbine air flow meter, and the MS-Nose, respectively...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of chewing-gum therapy in the reduction of postoperative paralytic ileus following gastrointestinal surgeryJ Edward F Fitzgerald
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
World J Surg 33:2557-66. 2009..Chewing is a form of sham feeding reported to stimulate bowel motility. This analysis examines the value of chewing-gum therapy in treatment of postoperative ileus...
- A systematic review of the efficacy of gum chewing for the amelioration of postoperative ileusS M M de Castro
Academic Medical Center of the University of Amsterdam, Hilversum, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 25:39-45. 2008..This finding could have a major clinical impact since gum chewing is relatively harmless and cheap while postoperative ileus has a significant impact on healthcare...
- Occlusion and brain function: mastication as a prevention of cognitive dysfunctionY Ono
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, Kanagawa Dental College, Yokosuka, Japan
J Oral Rehabil 37:624-40. 2010Research in animals and humans has shown that mastication maintains cognitive function in the hippocampus, a brain area important for learning and memory...
- Hemispheric dominance of tongue control depends on the chewing-side preferenceH Shinagawa
Maxillofacial Orthognathics, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
J Dent Res 82:278-83. 2003..The results suggest that there is a relationship between hemispheric dominance and chewing-side preference in primary sensorimotor cortices responsible for tongue movements...
- Finite element analysis of stresses in molars during clenching and masticationBeata Dejak
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Institute of Dentistry, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
J Prosthet Dent 90:591-7. 2003..During physiological functions of the masticatory system such as swallowing and chewing, teeth are subjected to variations in force application. Most in vitro analyses of stress have not analyzed the combined forces acting on teeth...
- Three-dimensional finite element modelling of muscle forces during masticationOliver Röhrle
Bioengineering Institute, The University of Auckland, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1, New Zealand
J Biomech 40:3363-72. 2007This paper presents a three-dimensional finite element model of human mastication. Specifically, an anatomically realistic model of the masseter muscles and associated bones is used to investigate the dynamics of chewing...
- Betel nut chewing and other risk factors associated with obesity among Taiwanese male adultsW C Chang
Division of Gerontology Research, National Health Research Institutes, Taipei City, Taiwan
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:359-63. 2006..The research aimed at examining betel nut chewing and other risk factors associated with obesity among Taiwanese male adults...
- Mastication for the mind--the relationship between mastication and cognition in ageing and dementiaR A F Weijenberg
Dept of Clinical Neuropsychology, VU University Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 35:483-97. 2011The goal of this literature review has been to investigate the relationship between mastication and cognition, with a special focus on ageing and dementia, and its possible underlying mechanisms...
- Reduced mastication stimulates impairment of spatial memory and degeneration of hippocampal neurons in aged SAMP8 miceM Onozuka
Department of Anatomy, 2nd Division, Gifu University School of Medicine, 40 Tsukasa Machi, Gifu, 500 8705, Japan
Brain Res 826:148-53. 1999The involvement of reduced mastication in senile dementia was evaluated by examining the effect of cutting off the upper molars (molarless) on spatial memory and numbers of hippocampal neurons in aged SAMP8 mice...
- Kinematics of the equine temporomandibular jointStephanie J Bonin
Mary Anne McPhail Equine Performance Center, Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, 48824, USA
Am J Vet Res 67:423-8. 2006..To develop a method of measuring 3-dimensional kinematics of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) in horses chewing sweet feed...
- The effect of mastication on human cognitive processing: a study using event-related potentialsKiwako Sakamoto
Department of Integrative Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
Clin Neurophysiol 120:41-50. 2009The purpose of the present study was to clarify the effect of mastication on cognitive processing using reaction time (RT) and event-related potentials (ERPs).
- A prospective community-population-registry based cohort study of the association between betel-quid chewing and cardiovascular disease in men in Taiwan (KCIS no. 19)Amy Ming Fang Yen
Institute of Preventive Medicine, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Clin Nutr 87:70-8. 2008....
- Betel nut chewing is associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in Taiwanese menWen Yuan Lin
Department of Family Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1204-11. 2008..Betel nut chewing is related to several kinds of cancer, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes. Whether it is associated with a greater risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and all-cause mortality, however, remains unclear...
- The challenge of mastication: preparing a bolus suitable for deglutitionAnne Mishellany
Déficiences, Incapacités et Désavantages en Santé Orale, DIDO, Faculté Dentaire, Clermont Ferrand, France
Dysphagia 21:87-94. 2006The main function of mastication is to transform a solid food into a bolus that can be swallowed safely...
- The masticatory normative indicatorA Woda
université Clermont 1, EA 3847, Faculty of Dentistry, 11 Bd Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
J Dent Res 89:281-5. 2010..This value identifies boluses that may be considered as resulting from impaired mastication, as illustrated in healthy individuals with experimentally hampered mastication, denture wearers, and ..
- Particle size distribution of food boluses after mastication of six natural foodsM A Peyron
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Theix, Station de Recherches sur la Viande, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Dent Res 83:578-82. 2004There is a large variability between and among individuals in the physiology of mastication, but it is not known whether this produces a similar variability in the particle sizes of food boluses at the end of the chewing process...
- Areca nut and betel quid chewing among South Asian immigrants to Western countries and its implications for oral cancer screeningAjit Auluck
University of British Columbia, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Rural Remote Health 9:1118. 2009..In this article, we present an overview of the sociocultural beliefs, knowledge and practices regarding betel quid/areca nut chewing, and discuss its implications for oral cancer screening among this immigrant population...
- Chewing and food consistency: effects on bolus transport and swallow initiationEiichi Saitoh
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, School of Medicine, Fujita Health University, Toyoake, Aichi, Japan
Dysphagia 22:100-7. 2007..Consuming two-phase foods with both solid and liquid phases may increase the risk of aspiration in dysphagic individuals with impaired airway protective reflexes...
- Effect of tooth loss on spatial memory and trkB-mRNA levels in ratsKaoruko Yamazaki
Department of Removable Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Iwate Medical University, Japan
Hippocampus 18:542-7. 2008..The results indicated that, in rats, the spatial memory-linked trkB-mRNA was reduced in association with the tooth loss; this supports the hypothesis and suggests that teeth have a role in the prevention of spatial memory impairment...
- Oral health status and treatment satisfaction with mandibular implant overdentures and conventional dentures: a randomized clinical trial in a senior populationManal A Awad
Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Nursing and Health Services Administration and Environmental Health, University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Int J Prosthodont 16:390-6. 2003..The purpose of this study was to compare elderly patients' satisfaction and oral health-related quality of life with mandibular two-implant overdentures and conventional dentures...
- Modeling elastic properties in finite-element analysis: how much precision is needed to produce an accurate model?David S Strait
Department of Anthropology, University at Albany, Albany, New York 12222, USA
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 283:275-87. 2005....
- Effects of soft-diet feeding on synaptic density in the hippocampus and parietal cortex of senescence-accelerated miceT Yamamoto
Oral Health Science Center, Tokyo Dental College, 261 8502, Chiba, Japan
Brain Res 902:255-63. 2001..The results indicated that soft-diet feeding after weaning period reduces synaptic formation in the cerebral cortex and impairs the ability of spatial learning in adulthood...
- Effects of mastication on mandibular growth evaluated by microcomputed tomographyAkiko Enomoto
Department of Orthodontics, Showa University, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Orthod 32:66-70. 2010It is well known that mastication has a significant influence on mandibular growth and development, but the mechanism behind this effect has not yet been clarified...
- Mastication of almonds: effects of lipid bioaccessibility, appetite, and hormone responseBridget A Cassady
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2059, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 89:794-800. 2009..This has been attributed to strong satiety properties, increased resting energy expenditure, and limited lipid bioaccessibility...
- Volitional control of food transport and bolus formation during feedingJeffrey B Palmer
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, United States
Physiol Behav 91:66-70. 2007..06). Under the command condition, stage II transport was delayed, and transport to the valleculae was inhibited. Volition alters swallow initiation in both the timing and location of the food bolus relative to the airway...
- Comparing factors affecting commencement and cessation of betel quid chewing behavior in Taiwanese adultsShue Fang Yap
Faculty of Dental Hygiene, College of Dental Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan
BMC Public Health 8:199. 2008..The purpose of this study was to compare the risk factors for commencement and cessation of betel quid chewing behaviors in a time-to-event setting...
- Spatial memory decline after masticatory deprivation and aging is associated with altered laminar distribution of CA1 astrocytesMarina Negrão Frota de Almeida
Universidade Federal do Para UFPA, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Laboratório de Investigações em Neurodegeneração e Infecção, Hospital Universitário João de Barros Barreto, Belem, PA, Brazil
BMC Neurosci 13:23. 2012..We investigated the impact of long-term reduced mastication on spatial memory in young, mature and aged female albino Swiss mice by stereological analysis of the laminar ..
- Forced mastication increases survival of adult neural stem cells in the hippocampal dentate gyrusYuki Akazawa
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Tokushima University Hospital, Tokushima 770 8504, Japan
Int J Mol Med 31:307-14. 2013In this study, we examined the effect of forced mastication on neurogenesis in the hippocampal dentate gyrus (DG) of adult mice. Six-week-old mice were subjected to either a hard or normal diet for 13 weeks...
- Self-reported chewing side preference and its associations with occlusal, temporomandibular and prosthodontic factors: results from the population-based Study of Health in Pomerania (SHIP-0)S Diernberger
Department of Orthodontics, Centre of Oral Health, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Oral Rehabil 35:613-20. 2008..Despite replacement of lost teeth not all restorations seemed to support bilateral mastication.
- A comparison of the methods used to determine chewing preferenceJ M F Varela
Department of Stomatology, School of Dentistry, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
J Oral Rehabil 30:990-4. 2003..Most experts agree that mastication is no exception in that there is a 'preferred chewing side' but the determination of this preference is ..
- Rehabilitation with dental prosthesis can increase cerebral regional blood volumeIkuya Miyamoto
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Clin Oral Implants Res 16:723-7. 2005..this experimental study, we hypothesized that dental prosthesis can recover not only the physical condition of mastication system but also the regional brain activity...
- Masticatory function and cognitive functionKin ya Kubo
Seijoh University Graduate School of Health Care Studies, 2 172 Fukinodai, Tokai, Aichi 476 8588, Japan
Okajimas Folia Anat Jpn 87:135-40. 2010..These findings strongly suggest a link between mastication and neurocognitive function.
- Functional status of masticatory system, executive function and episodic memory in older personsE Scherder
Institute of Human Movement Sciences, Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Oral Rehabil 35:324-36. 2008Findings from human experimental studies suggest that mastication positively influences cognitive function. The participants in those studies were relatively young...
- Cyclic motion of the soft palate in feedingK Matsuo
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Johns Hopkins University and Good Samaritan Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Dent Res 84:39-42. 2005..Videofluorographic recordings showed that rhythmic motions of the soft palate during mastication were linked temporally to jaw motion. Soft palate motion occurred in every recording but not in every jaw cycle...
- Protocol of orofacial myofunctional evaluation with scoresCláudia Maria de Felício
Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Ophthalmology and Head and Neck Surgery, Av dos Bandeirantes 3900, Ribeirão Preto 14049 900, SP, Brazil
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 72:367-75. 2008..The protocol validity, reliability of the examiners and agreement between them was analyzed...
- Can oral health promotion help develop masticatory function and prevent dental caries?Reiko Sakashita
Nursing Foundation, College of Nursing Art and Science, University of Hyogo, Japan
Community Dent Health 23:107-15. 2006..The aims of this study were to evaluate the project's effect on dental caries and masticatory function...
- 1. In vivo aroma release during eating of a model cheese: relationships with oral parametersEstelle Pionnier
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Unité Mixte ENESAD INRA de Recherche sur les Arômes, 17 rue Sully, B P 86510, 21065 Dijon Cedex, France
J Agric Food Chem 52:557-64. 2004..The aroma release parameters C(max) and AUC (area under the curve) could be related to respiratory and masticatory parameters. In most cases, the same relationships were observed whatever the nature of the aroma compound...
- Mastication-induced modulation of orofacial sensory inputs as seen in the jaw reflex and single neuronal activities in the face primary somatosensory cortex of the rabbitKensuke Yamamura
Division of Oral Physiology, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 2 5274 Gakko cho Dori, Niigata 951 8514, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 52:329-33. 2007The aim of the present study was to compare the effect of mastication on non-nociceptive orofacial sensory transmission of the somatosensory pathways and that on the jaw reflex arc...
- Conventional rehabilitation of edentulous patients: the impact on oral health-related quality of life and patient satisfactionJanice S Ellis
School of Dental Sciences, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Prosthodont 16:37-42. 2007..This study examined patient satisfaction and oral health-related impacts on the quality of life of patients restored with complete conventional or duplicate dentures...
- The role of periodontal mechanoreceptors in masticationKemal S Türker
Research Centre for Human Movement Control, University of Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
Arch Oral Biol 52:361-4. 2007..It is also important to ensure that there is minimal simultaneous activation of receptor systems other than the periodontal mechanoreceptors. It is also necessary to standardise the method for recording and analysing the response...
- From milk to solids: a reference standard for the transitional eating process in infants and preschool children in JapanR Sakashita
Department of Nursing Physiology and Anatomy, College of Nursing Art and Science, Hyogo, Japan
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:643-53. 2004..The background for variation and delay in the process are also discussed...
- A two-colour chewing gum test for masticatory efficiency: development of different assessment methodsM Schimmel
Division of Gerodontology and Removable Prosthodontics, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Oral Rehabil 34:671-8. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate different assessment methods of a two-colour chewing gum test for masticatory efficiency to determine its validity for research and clinical purposes...
- Coordination of cranial motoneurons during masticationYoshiaki Yamada
Division of Oral Physiology, Department of Oral Biological Science, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 2 5274 Gakkocho dori, Niigata 951 8514, Japan
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 147:177-89. 2005b>Mastication is the first stage of digestion and involves several motor processes such as food intake, intra-oral food transport, bolus formation and chewing in its broad sense...
- Chewing pattern in patients with Meige's syndromeMarcello M Mascia
Istituto di Neurologia, Ospedale San Giovanni di Dio, Cagliari, Italy
Mov Disord 20:26-33. 2005..These abnormalities, similar in type to those encountered in other forms of focal dystonia, may be the expression of an abnormal motor control of basal ganglia over mastication-related movement pattern generators of the brainstem.
- Respiration during feeding on solid food: alterations in breathing during mastication, pharyngeal bolus aggregation, and swallowingKoichiro Matsuo
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Phipps 160, 600 North Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 104:674-81. 2008..The timing of events during mastication, food transport, pharyngeal bolus aggregation, and swallowing were measured in relation to respiration...
- Effect of dental status on changes in mastication in patients with obesity following bariatric surgeryAnne Espérance Godlewski
Clermont Universite, Universite d Auvergne, EA 3847, Clermont Ferrand, France
PLoS ONE 6:e22324. 2011..This study aims to compare modifications of chewing function before and after BS in three groups of obese patients differing in dental status...
- Mastication and swallowing: 1. Functions, performance and mechanismsRobert Orchardson
University of Glasgow Dental School, Glasgow
Dent Update 36:327-30, 332-4, 337. 2009The process of mastication involves movements of the tongue, lips and cheeks as well as the more obvious actions of the teeth and jaws...
- Modulation of masseteric reflexes by simulated masticationS Naser-ud-Din
Discipline of Physiology and Research Centre for Human Movement Control, School of Molecular and Biomedical Science, University of Adelaide, Australia
J Dent Res 89:61-5. 2010..mechanoreceptor activation and of excitatory reflexes evoked by muscle spindle activation during simulated mastication. In 28 participants, 1- and 2-N mechanical taps were delivered to the incisor...
- Correlation between feeding methods, non-nutritive sucking and orofacial behaviorsAna Paula Magalhães Medeiros
Faculdade de Medicina de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo
Pro Fono 21:315-9. 2009..The development of oral motor control depends partially on motor and sensory experiences...
- Effect of mastication on functional recoveries after permanent middle cerebral artery occlusion in ratsKatsuya Kawanishi
Division of Occlusion and Removable Prosthodontics, Department of Oral Rehabilitation, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido School of Dentistry, Japan
J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 19:398-403. 2010..We evaluated whether solid feed is more effective for functional recoveries than liquid feed in rats with ischemic brain injury after permanent middle cerebral artery occlusion (MCAO)...
- Motion of the human mandibular condyle during masticationS Miyawaki
Department of Orthodontics, Okayama University Dental School, Japan
J Dent Res 80:437-42. 2001..1 mm, and 0.1 mm, respectively). This suggests that, in healthy adults, the condyles at CO are located in a position such that excessive load is not applied to the temporomandibular joint when there are the aforementioned displacements...
- Effect of food size on the movement of the mandibular first molars and condyles during deliberate unilateral mastication in humansS Miyawaki
Department of Orthodontics, Okayama University Dental School, Japan
J Dent Res 79:1525-31. 2000..such that the mandibular teeth that come into contact with the food open to a height equivalent to that of the food bolus, and that the changes in movement of the other parts of the mandible are minimized, ensuring efficient mastication.
- Degree of particle size breakdown during mastication may be a possible cause of interindividual glycemic variabilityViren Ranawana
Functional Food Center, School of Life Sciences, Oxford Brookes University, Headington, Oxford, United Kingdom
Nutr Res 30:246-54. 2010The degree of mastication varies significantly between individuals and may be a cause for the considerable interindividual variation observed in the glycemic response (GR) to a single food...
- Effects of respiration on soft palate movement in feedingK Matsuo
Dept of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Dent Res 89:1401-6. 2010..We tested the hypothesis that the frequency and amplitude of soft palate elevation associated with mastication would be reduced during inspiration...
- Coordinated electromyographic activity of the human masseter and temporalis anterior muscles during masticationV F Ferrario
Laboratorio di Anatomia Funzionale dell Apparato Stomatognatico LAFAS, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita degli Studi, Milano, Italy
Eur J Oral Sci 104:511-7. 1996..In particular, it quantified the within-subject and chewing side repeatability of the muscular pattern...
- Mastication in patients treated for malignancies in tongue and/or floor of mouth: A 1-year prospective studyCaroline M Speksnijder
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Prosthodontics, and Special Dental Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85 060, NL 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
Head Neck 33:1013-20. 2011..Reduced masticatory function may affect quality of life and food choice. An altered food choice may result in lower intakes for key nutrients and weight loss...
- Intermittency in mastication and apomorphine-induced gnawingG E Gerstner
Department of Biologic and Materials Sciences, University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Ann Arbor 48109 1078, USA
Physiol Behav 65:569-74. 1998Rhythmic behaviors like mastication, gnawing, and locomotion, are characterized by temporal segmentation or intermittency...
- Assessment of mastication with implications for oral rehabilitation: a reviewAndries Van der Bilt
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Prosthodontics and Special Dental Care, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Oral Rehabil 38:754-80. 2011..Dry and hard products require more chewing cycles before swallowing than moist and soft foods. More time is needed to break the food and to add enough saliva to form a cohesive bolus suitable for swallowing...
- EMG analysis of trapezius and masticatory muscles: experimental protocol and data reproducibilityC Sforza
Functional Anatomy Research Center, Laboratorio di Anatomia Funzionale dell Apparato Stomatognatico, Dipartimento di Morfologia Umana e Scienze Biomediche Città Studi, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Italy
J Oral Rehabil 38:648-54. 2011....
- Stresses in mandibular cortical bone during mastication: biomechanical considerations using a three-dimensional finite element methodMasayuki Hirabayashi
Department of Orthodontics, Nihon University School of Dentistry, Tokyo, Japan
J Oral Sci 44:1-6. 2002This study investigated biomechanical aspects of the action of the biting force during mastication upon the mandibular bone in the lower first molar area...
- Chewing behaviour and bolus formation during mastication of meat with different texturesLaurence Mioche
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, SRV Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Arch Oral Biol 48:193-200. 2003..activity was recorded from surface electrodes on the elevator muscles (masseter and temporalis) during mastication of cold beef...
- Jaw motion during gum-chewing in children with primary dentitionNaoko Kubota
Section of Pediatric Dentistry, Division of Oral Health, Growth, and Development, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Dental Science, Japan
Cranio 28:19-29. 2010This study was undertaken to characterize jaw motion during mastication in children with primary dentition and to compare jaw motion with that in adults. The means and the variances of the traditional parameters for the chewing cycle, i...
- In vivo aroma release of milk gels of different hardnesses: inter-individual differences and their consequences on aroma perceptionIsabelle Gierczynski
Unité Mixte de Recherche Flaveur Vision et Comportement du Consommateur, ENESAD INRA UB, 17 rue Sully, BP 86510, 21065 Dijon Cedex, France
J Agric Food Chem 56:1697-703. 2008..Second, we observed that, during the chewing phase, the aroma was perceived as more intense for the firmer gel and for panelists for whom the aroma release begins during the chewing of the product...
- Influence of abusive vocal habits, hydration, mastication, and sleep in the occurrence of vocal symptoms in teachersLeslie Piccolotto Ferreira
Department of Foundations to Speech and Hearing Therapy, PUC SP Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo, School of Speech and Hearing Therapy and Post Graduation Program in Speech and Hearing Therapy, Sao Paulo, Brazil 05048 080
J Voice 24:86-92. 2010..with occupational factors, but there are few studies that analyze the influence of vocal habits, fluid intake, mastication, and sleep on these disorders...
- Category of functional tooth units in relation to the number of teeth and masticatory ability in Japanese adultsMasayuki Ueno
Department of Oral Health Promotion, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Oral Investig 14:113-9. 2010..It is important to keep as many natural teeth as possible so that the person's categories of FTUs are mainly composed of natural to natural teeth to maintain better oral function...
- Photoelastic analysis of bone deformation in the region of the mandibular condyle during masticationChristophe Meyer
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital of Strasbourg, France
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 30:160-9. 2002The purpose of this experimental study was to demonstrate the stress patterns arising in the region of the mandibular condyle during mastication.
- In-mouth mechanisms leading to flavor release and perceptionChristian Salles
Centre des Sciences du Gout et de l Alimentation, UMR6265 CNRS, UMR1324 INRA, Universite de Bourgogne, Agrosup, Dijon, France
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 51:67-90. 2011..Texture influences the chewing behavior, including mastication and salivation, and in turn, these parameters influence texture perception and bolus formation...
- Masticatory performance and bite force in children with primary dentitionMaria Beatriz Duarte Gaviao
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry of Piracicaba, State University of Campinas, Av Limeira 901, Piracicaba, CEP 13414 903 SP, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 21:146-52. 2007..05). It was concluded that the bite force was not a primary determinant of masticatory performance, and both variables were not dependent on body variables in the studied sample...
- Intercountry prevalences and practices of betel-quid use in south, southeast and eastern Asia regions and associated oral preneoplastic disorders: an international collaborative study by Asian betel-quid consortium of south and east AsiaChien Hung Lee
Center of Excellence for Environmental Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Int J Cancer 129:1741-51. 2011..In conclusion, the ABC study reveals the significant cultural and demographic differences contributing to practice patterns of BQ usage and the great health risks that such practices pose in the Asian region...
- Betel nut chewing is strongly associated with general and central obesity in Chinese male middle-aged adultsWen Yuan Lin
Department of Family Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, Graduate Institute of Clinical Medical Science, College of Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:1247-54. 2009..Dose-response effects of the association between betel nut consumption and general obesity as well as central obesity were found...
- Effects of soft-diet feeding on BDNF expression in hippocampus of miceTetsu Yamamoto
Department of Physiology, Tokyo Dental College, 1 2 2 Masago, Mihama ku, Chiba, Japan
Bull Tokyo Dent Coll 49:185-90. 2008..These results indicate that insufficient mastication activity during development reduces BDNF protein levels in the hippocampus and influences synaptic plasticity ..
- Detrimental effects of gum chewing on vigilance in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorderLara Tucha
Department of Clinical and Developmental NeuroPsychology, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Appetite 55:679-84. 2010..Sustained attention was not affected by gum chewing. Chewing gum, therefore, appears not to improve attentional performance in children with ADHD...
- Soft-diet feeding inhibits adult neurogenesis in hippocampus of miceTetsu Yamamoto
Department of Physiology, Tokyo Dental College, 1 2 2 Masago, Mihama ku, Chiba 261 8502, Japan
Bull Tokyo Dent Coll 50:117-24. 2009..These results indicate that insufficient mastication activity during development as well as aging restrains hippocampal neurogenesis in adulthood.
- Influence of tooth-loss and concomitant masticatory alterations on cholinergic neurons in rats: immunohistochemical and biochemical studiesH Terasawa
Department of Removable Prosthodontics, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, School of Dentistry, 1757 Kanazawa, Ishikari Tobetsu, Hokkaido 061 0293, Japan
Neurosci Res 43:373-9. 2002..05). Taken together, a decrease of oral sensory information may have caused a reduction in the number of ChAT-positive neurons selectively in NDB/MS, which in turn caused a decline of ACh concentrations in the hippocampus...
- ZrO2 three-unit fixed partial dentures: comparison of failure load before and after exposure to a mastication simulatorW Att
Department of Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Albert Ludwigs University, Freiburg, Germany
J Oral Rehabil 34:282-90. 2007..Further assessments are needed before recommending these restorations for daily practice...
- Effects of appetite, BMI, food form and flavor on mastication: almonds as a test foodJ M Frecka
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, 700 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:1231-8. 2008..To investigate the effects of appetitive sensations, body mass index (BMI) and physical/sensory properties of food (almonds) on masticatory indices and resultant pre-swallowing particle sizes...
- Clinical evaluation of mastication: validation of video versus electromyographyM Hennequin
EA3847, Universite d Auvergne, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, Clermont Ferrand, France
Clin Nutr 24:314-20. 2005..This study is a validation of several variables read from standardised video recordings of mastication as indicators of masticatory function.
- The effect of mastication on occlusal parameters in healthy volunteersT Sierpinska
Department of Prosthodontics, Medical University of Bialystok, Bialystok, Poland
Adv Med Sci 53:316-20. 2008..To assess possible associations between occlusal parameters and comminution of solid food during chewing in a group of completely dentate subjects...
- Cell-mediated immunity and head and neck cancer: with special emphasis on betel quid chewing habitM C Chang
Biomedical Science Team, Chang Gung Institute of Technology, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Oral Oncol 41:757-75. 2005....
- Validation of video versus electromyography for chewing evaluation of the elderly wearing a complete dentureE Nicolas
CHU Clermont Ferrand, Service d Odontologie and Univ Clermont 1, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Oral Rehabil 34:566-71. 2007..Those two factors make evaluation of mastication difficult with experimental methods...
- Mastication and late mandibular fracture after surgery of impacted third molars associated with no gross pathologyFouad A Al-Belasy
Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dean, Faculty of Dentistry, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:856-61. 2009..with the null hypothesis that in patients, fully denate or with 1 or 2 teeth missing and older than 25 years, mastication does not affect late mandibular fracture after surgical removal of impacted third molars (M3s) associated with ..
- Circulatory response and autonomic nervous activity during gum chewingYoko Hasegawa
Division of Oromaxillofacial Regeneration, Course of Integrated Oral Science, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Eur J Oral Sci 117:470-3. 2009b>Mastication has been proven to enhance the systemic circulation, with circulatory responses seeming to be largely regulated by autonomic nervous activity via a more complex regulatory system than those of other activities...
- Adaptation of healthy mastication to factors pertaining to the individual or to the foodA Woda
DIDO, Dental Faculty, University of Auvergne, 11 Bd Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Physiol Behav 89:28-35. 2006b>Mastication is a physiological process controlled by the central nervous system and modulated by inputs from the mouth...
- Periprandial changes of the sympathetic-parasympathetic balance related to perceived satiety in humansLucien F Harthoorn
TI Food and Nutrition WCFS, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Appl Physiol 102:601-8. 2008..In conclusion, after meal ingestion critical physiological alterations reveal a elevated sympathetic tone, which is a potential measure of satiety...
- Betel quid not containing tobacco and oral cancer: a report on a case-control study in Papua New Guinea and a meta-analysis of current evidenceSteven J Thomas
Division of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Bristol, Lower Maudlin Street, Bristol, UK
Int J Cancer 120:1318-23. 2007..14 (95% CI 1.06, 4.32) in betel quid chewers and in studies that adjusted for smoking the combined OR was 3.50 (95% CI 2.16, 5.65) in betel quid chewers. Preventive efforts should discourage betel quid chewing as well as smoking...
- Influence of impaired mastication on nutritionPapa Ibrahima N'gom
Laboratory of Oro facial Physiology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Prosthet Dent 87:667-73. 2002..The selection of relevant literature was based on Medline queries using the following key words: mastication, nutrition, digestion, diet, and disease risk...
- Evaluation of the effects of mastication and swallowing on gastric motility using electrogastrographyYoshitaka Kimura
Department of Digestive and Cardiovascular Medicine, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School
J Med Invest 53:229-37. 2006The influence of mastication and swallowing on gastric motor function was evaluated by electrogastrography (EGG) and abdominal ultrasonography.
- The regulation of masticatory function and food bolus formationA Woda
DIDO, EA 3847, Faculté Dentaire, Universite d Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Oral Rehabil 33:840-9. 2006This review emphasizes the following points: 1. The values of the physiological parameters of mastication (number of cycles and total electromyographic activity in the sequence, sequence duration, cycle frequency in the sequence, kinetic ..
- Botulinum toxin in muscles of masticationSusan W Herring; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results will guide clinicians in understanding functional consequences and help to validate clinical rationales for treatment. ..
- Lysine decarboxylase in periodontitis patientsMartin Levine; Fiscal Year: 2004..especially its Dentally attached (DAT) cells, keratinocytes that are activated by persistent trauma from mastication and oral hygiene...
- Ninth International Conference on the Chemistry and Biology of Mineralized TissuePaul Krebsbach; Fiscal Year: 2007..for the activities of normal daily life in locomotion, mineral metabolism, organ protection, respiration, mastication, and proper nutrition and digestion, but the factors and their complex interactions responsible for the ..
- RESPIRATORY SYSTEM INTEGRATION BY THE BRAINSTEMALBERT BERGER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Also, HMs are important in other behaviors including mastication, swallowing (deglutition), sucking, licking, and vocalization...
- 8th Conference - Chemistry & Biology Mineralized TissueWILLIAM LANDIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..The health of bones, cartilage, and teeth is essential for the activities of normal daily life in locomotion, mastication, respiration, digestion and the like, but the factors and their complex interactions responsible for the ..
- TONGUE JAW LINKAGES IN FEEDINGJeffrey Palmer; Fiscal Year: 2002..on natural bite sizes of banana (12 g) and cookie (6 g) to delineate the interactions between respiration, mastication, and swallowing in complete feeding sequences...
- Tongue-Jaw Linkages in FeedingJeffrey Palmer; Fiscal Year: 2005The Process Model of Feeding provides an understanding of the inter-related processes of mastication, oral food transport, and swallowing...
- NEURAL SUBSTRATES OF ADAPTIVE JAW MOVEMENTStephen Berry; Fiscal Year: 2004..A number of models exist for studying mastication in animal preparations...
- TRANSMISSION OF RESPIRATORY DRIVE TO MOTONEURONSJACK FELDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., locomotion, mastication, and nystagmus)...
- BONE GROWTH, PERIOSTEAL MIGRATION, AND MUSCLE FUNCTIONSusan Herring; Fiscal Year: 2001..The proposed studies focus on the muscles of mastication using the miniature pig as a model for human jaw function...
- A 3-D Interactive Atlas of the Maxilla, Mandible & TMJWilliam Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..of the joint including the capsular anatomy, innervation, vascularity and the associated muscles of mastication. The viewer will be able to move the annotated joint through all of its movements and observe how the ..
- MENSTRUAL CYCLE EFFECTS ON TMD PAIN AND OTHER SYMPTOMSLinda LeResche; Fiscal Year: 2002..Temporomandibular disorders (TMD's) are musculoskeletal pain conditions characterized by pain in the muscles of mastication and/or the temporomandibular joint...
- GROWTH FACTORS AND GINGIVAL FIBROSISPhilip Trackman; Fiscal Year: 2006..For example, impaired mastication and impaired oral hygiene can result, respectively, in poor nutrition and increased microbial load in the oral ..
- BONE GROWTH, PERIOSTEAL MIGRATION AND MUSCLE FUNCTIONSusan Herring; Fiscal Year: 2007..new methodology will be employed to map the three-dimensional deformation of muscles and ligaments during awake mastication and to test whether buccinator contraction places significant pressure on the alveolar periosteum...
- Mechanism of Impaired Diabetic Oral Wound HealingDana Graves; Fiscal Year: 2009..stresses associated with the oral cavity including bacteria which bathe the mucosal surfaces and forces of mastication, amongst others...
- Mechanism of Impaired Diabetic Oral Wound HealingDana T Graves; Fiscal Year: 2010..stresses associated with the oral cavity including bacteria which bathe the mucosal surfaces and forces of mastication, amongst others...
- PRECISE CONTOL OF TONGUE MOVEMENTStephen Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..Coordinated tongue movements are needed for eating (mastication and swallowing), drinking, licking (suckling), breathing, grooming and vocalization...
- Estrogen and Psychological Stress in TMJD PainDavid A Bereiter; Fiscal Year: 2010..represent a family of conditions that present with pain in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and muscles of mastication. Chronic TMJD occurs mainly in young women and is strongly associated with elevated levels of psychological ..
- Interaction Affecting Craniofacial Muscle DifferentiatioDrew Noden; Fiscal Year: 2004..and anomalies in their development contribute to a wide range of problems in vision, facial expression, mastication, and phonation...