Genomes and Genes
Summary: The relative amounts of various components in the body, such as percent body fat.
Publications363 found, 100 shown here
- Gender differences in insulin resistance, body composition, and energy balanceEliza B Geer
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Gend Med 6:60-75. 2009Men and women differ substantially in regard to degrees of insulin resistance, body composition, and energy balance...
- Comparisons of percentage body fat, body mass index, waist circumference, and waist-stature ratio in adultsKatherine M Flegal
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 89:500-8. 2009..Body mass index (BMI), waist circumference (WC), and the waist-stature ratio (WSR) are considered to be possible proxies for adiposity...
- Sexual dimorphism of body compositionJonathan C K Wells
Pediatric Nutrition Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21:415-30. 2007Sexual dimorphism in human body composition is evident from fetal life, but emerges primarily during puberty. At birth, males have a similar fat mass to females but are longer and have greater lean mass...
- The environment within: how gut microbiota may influence metabolism and body compositionA Vrieze
Department of Internal and Vascular Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, Meibergdreef 9, Room F4 159 2, 1105, AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetologia 53:606-13. 2010..This review discusses the relationships between the following: composition of gut microbiota, energy extracted from diet, synthesis of gut hormones involved in energy homeostasis, production of butyrate and the regulation of fat storage...
- Intrahepatic fat, not visceral fat, is linked with metabolic complications of obesityElisa Fabbrini
Center for Human Nutrition and Atkins Center of Excellence in Obesity Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:15430-5. 2009..Furthermore, alterations in tissue fatty acid transport could be involved in the pathogenesis of ectopic triglyceride accumulation by redirecting plasma fatty acid uptake from adipose tissue toward other tissues...
- Obesity in children and young people: a crisis in public healthT Lobstein
IASO International Obesity TaskForce, 231 North Gower Street, London NW1 2NS, UK
Obes Rev 5:4-104. 2004
- High-dose resveratrol supplementation in obese men: an investigator-initiated, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of substrate metabolism, insulin sensitivity, and body compositionMorten M Poulsen
Department of Endocrinology and Internal Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Diabetes 62:1186-95. 2013..The lack of effect disagrees with persuasive data obtained from rodent models and raises doubt about the justification of resveratrol as a human nutritional supplement in metabolic disorders...
- Maternal and child undernutrition: consequences for adult health and human capitalCesar G Victora
Universidade Federal de Pelotas, Pelotas, Brazil
Lancet 371:340-57. 2008..Its prevention will probably bring about important health, educational, and economic benefits. Chronic diseases are especially common in undernourished children who experience rapid weight gain after infancy...
- Genome-wide association study identifies Loci for body composition and structural soundness traits in pigsBin Fan
Department of Animal Science and Center for Integrated Animal Genomics, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e14726. 2011..The recent completion of the swine genome sequencing project and development of a high density porcine SNP array has made genome-wide association (GWA) studies feasible in pigs...
- Effects of active video games on body composition: a randomized controlled trialRalph Maddison
Clinical Trials Research Unit, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Am J Clin Nutr 94:156-63. 2011Sedentary activities such as video gaming are independently associated with obesity. Active video games, in which players physically interact with images on screen, may help increase physical activity and improve body composition.
- Asians are different from Caucasians and from each other in their body mass index/body fat per cent relationshipP Deurenberg
Wageningen University, The Netherlands
Obes Rev 3:141-6. 2002..Hence, the relationship between BF% and BMI is ethnic-specific. For comparisons of obesity prevalence between ethnic groups, universal BMI cut-off points are not appropriate...
- Body composition, visceral fat, leptin, and insulin resistance in Asian Indian menM A Banerji
Department of Medicine, State University of New York Health Science Center, Brooklyn 11203, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:137-44. 1999..Increased visceral fat is related to dyslipidemia and increased frequency of insulin resistance and may account for the increased prevalence of diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease in Asian Indians...
- Adult onset global loss of the fto gene alters body composition and metabolism in the mouseFiona McMurray
MRC Harwell, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Harwell, United Kingdom
PLoS Genet 9:e1003166. 2013..Rodent studies demonstrate a role for FTO in energy homeostasis and body composition. The phenotypes observed in loss of expression studies are complex with perinatal lethality, stunted growth ..
- Effect of diet and exercise, alone or combined, on weight and body composition in overweight-to-obese postmenopausal womenKaren E Foster-Schubert
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:1628-38. 2012..Among postmenopausal women, lifestyle-change involving diet, exercise, or both combined over 1 year improves body weight and adiposity, with the greatest change arising from the combined intervention...
- Waist circumference and waist-to-height ratio are better predictors of cardiovascular disease risk factors in children than body mass indexS C Savva
Research and Education Program of Child Health, Cyprus
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24:1453-8. 2000..Waist measurement and waist-to-height ratio (WHtR) have been used as proxy measures of visceral adipose tissue, mainly in adults...
- Bioelectrical impedance analysis--part I: review of principles and methodsUrsula G Kyle
Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland
Clin Nutr 23:1226-43. 2004..ESPEN guidelines for the clinical use of BIA measurements are described in a paper to appear soon in Clinical Nutrition...
- Subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue: structural and functional differencesM Mohsen Ibrahim
Cardiology Department, Cairo University, 1 El Sherifein Street, Abdeen, Cairo 11111, Egypt
Obes Rev 11:11-8. 2010..VAT carries a greater prediction of mortality than SCAT...
- Accuracy of body mass index in diagnosing obesity in the adult general populationA Romero-Corral
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, MN 55905, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 32:959-66. 2008..Body mass index (BMI) is the most widely used measure to diagnose obesity. However, the accuracy of BMI in detecting excess body adiposity in the adult general population is largely unknown...
- A regulatory mutation in IGF2 causes a major QTL effect on muscle growth in the pigAnne Sophie Van Laere
Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala University, BMC, Box 597, SE 751 24 Uppsala, Sweden
Nature 425:832-6. 2003..The result supports the long-held view that regulatory mutations are important for controlling phenotypic variation...
- Effects of testosterone on muscle strength, physical function, body composition, and quality of life in intermediate-frail and frail elderly men: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyUpendram Srinivas-Shankar
Andrology Research Unit, Department of Medicine and Endocrinology, University of Manchester, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Grafton Street, Manchester, United Kingdom M13 9WL
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:639-50. 2010..Testosterone (T) increases muscle mass and strength in hypogonadal patients. It is unclear whether T has similar effects in intermediate-frail and frail elderly men with low to borderline-low T...
- What aspects of body fat are particularly hazardous and how do we measure them?M B Snijder
Institute of Health Sciences, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Epidemiol 35:83-92. 2006
- Visceral adipose tissue accumulation differs according to ethnic background: results of the Multicultural Community Health Assessment Trial (M-CHAT)Scott A Lear
School of Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 86:353-9. 2007..Previous studies have not adequately investigated differences in discrete regions of abdominal adiposity across ethnic groups...
- Beyond body mass indexA M Prentice
MRC International Nutrition Group, Public Health Nutrition Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 49 51 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP, UK
Obes Rev 2:141-7. 2001..We argue that BMI continues to serve well for many purposes, but that the time is now right to initiate a gradual evolution beyond BMI towards standards based on actual measurements of body fat mass...
- Sarcopenia: alternative definitions and associations with lower extremity functionAnne B Newman
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:1602-9. 2003..two sarcopenia definitions and examine the relationship between them and lower extremity function and other health related factors using data from the baseline examination of the Health Aging and Body Composition (Health ABC) Study.
- Bioelectrical impedance analysis-part II: utilization in clinical practiceUrsula G Kyle
Clinical Nutrition Unit, Geneva University Hospital, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Clin Nutr 23:1430-53. 2004..Longitudinal follow-up of body composition by BIA is possible in subjects with BMI 16-34 kg/m(2) without abnormal hydration, but must be interpreted ..
- The loss of skeletal muscle strength, mass, and quality in older adults: the health, aging and body composition studyBret H Goodpaster
Department of Medicine, MUH N809, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 61:1059-64. 2006..The loss of muscle mass is considered to be a major determinant of strength loss in aging. However, large-scale longitudinal studies examining the association between the loss of mass and strength in older adults are lacking...
- Variation in FTO contributes to childhood obesity and severe adult obesityChristian Dina
CNRS 8090 Institute of Biology, Pasteur Institute, Lille, France
Nat Genet 39:724-6. 2007..The at-risk haplotype yields a proportion of attributable risk of 22% for common obesity. We conclude that FTO contributes to human obesity and hence may be a target for subsequent functional analyses...
- Percentage of body fat cutoffs by sex, age, and race-ethnicity in the US adult population from NHANES 1999-2004Moonseong Heo
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 95:594-602. 2012..To date, there is no consensus regarding adult cutoffs of percentage of body fat or estimated cutoffs on the basis of nationally representative samples with rigorous body-composition measurements...
- Associations of birth order with early growth and adolescent height, body composition, and blood pressure: prospective birth cohort from BrazilJonathan C K Wells
Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Child Health, University College London, United Kingdom
Am J Epidemiol 174:1028-35. 2011..was to investigate differences between firstborn and later-born individuals in early growth patterns, body composition, and blood pressure in Brazilian adolescents. The authors studied 453 adolescents aged 13...
- Relationship of obesity with osteoporosisLan Juan Zhao
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Missouri Kansas City, 2411 Holmes Street, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1640-6. 2007..Previous analyses, however, did not control for the mechanical loading effects of total body weight on bone mass and may have generated a confounded or even biased relationship between obesity and osteoporosis...
- Weight-reducing effects of the plasma protein encoded by the obese geneJ L Halaas
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockfeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Science 269:543-6. 1995..2 to 0.7 percent. These data suggest that the OB protein serves an endocrine function to regulate body fat stores...
- Body composition and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAnnemie M W J Schols
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University of Maastricht, Maastricht, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 82:53-9. 2005..Survival studies have consistently shown significantly greater mortality rates in underweight and normal-weight patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) than in overweight and obese COPD patients...
- Attenuation of skeletal muscle and strength in the elderly: The Health ABC StudyB H Goodpaster
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 90:2157-65. 2001..yr participating in baseline studies of the Health ABC Study, a longitudinal study of health, aging, and body composition. Strength was higher in men than in women (132.3 +/- 34.5 vs. 81.4 +/- 22.0 N x m, P < 0.01)...
- Development of bioelectrical impedance analysis prediction equations for body composition with the use of a multicomponent model for use in epidemiologic surveysShumei S Sun
Lifespan Research Center, Department of Community Health, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45420, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 77:331-40. 2003Previous studies to develop and validate bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) equations to predict body composition were limited by small sample sizes, sex specificity, and reliance on reference methods that use a 2-component model.
- Fetal programming and adult healthK M Godfrey
MRC Environmental Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, UK
Public Health Nutr 4:611-24. 2001..Although the influences that impair fetal development and programme adult cardiovascular disease remain to be defined, there are strong pointers to the importance of maternal body composition and dietary balance during pregnancy.
- Total-body skeletal muscle mass: estimation by a new dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry methodJaehee Kim
Obesity Research Center, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital and the Institute of Human Nutrition, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10025, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:378-83. 2002..A large proportion of total-body SM is found in the extremities, and a large proportion of extremity lean soft tissue is SM. A strong link should thus exist between appendicular lean soft tissue (ALST) mass and total-body SM mass...
- Metformin in gestational diabetes: the offspring follow-up (MiG TOFU): body composition at 2 years of ageJanet A Rowan
Department of Obstetrics, National Women s Health, Auckland, New Zealand
Diabetes Care 34:2279-84. 2011..Metformin crosses the placenta, so it is important to assess potential effects on growth of the children...
- Body composition of a young, multiethnic, male populationK J Ellis
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Houston, TX 77030 2600, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 66:1323-31. 1997..Ethnic-specific equations for the prediction of body composition as a function of age, weight, and height were derived...
- Dual energy X-Ray absorptiometry body composition reference values from NHANESThomas L Kelly
Hologic, Inc, Bedford, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e7038. 2009....
- Effects of a multidisciplinary inpatient intervention on body composition, aerobic fitness, and quality of life in severely obese girls and boysBruno H KnOpfli
Alpine Children s Hospital Davos, Switzerland
J Adolesc Health 42:119-27. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the gender differences of an 8-week multidisciplinary inpatient program on body weight, body composition, aerobic fitness, and quality of life of severely obese children and adolescents.
- Muscle mass, muscle strength, and muscle fat infiltration as predictors of incident mobility limitations in well-functioning older personsMarjolein Visser
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine, VU University Medical Center, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:324-33. 2005..This study aims to investigate whether low muscle mass, low muscle strength, and greater fat infiltration into the muscle predict incident mobility limitation...
- Effect of exercise training intensity on abdominal visceral fat and body compositionBrian A Irving
Department of Human Services, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:1863-72. 2008..The metabolic syndrome is a complex clustering of metabolic defects associated with physical inactivity, abdominal adiposity, and aging...
- Diet-induced obesity causes severe but reversible leptin resistance in arcuate melanocortin neuronsPablo J Enriori
Division of Neuroscience, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
Cell Metab 5:181-94. 2007..These results highlight the physiological importance of leptin sensing in the melanocortin circuits and show that their loss of leptin sensing likely contributes to the pathology of leptin resistance...
- The hypothalamic arcuate nucleus: a key site for mediating leptin's effects on glucose homeostasis and locomotor activityRoberto Coppari
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 99 Brookline Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Cell Metab 1:63-72. 2005..These data demonstrate that leptin signaling in the ARH is sufficient for mediating leptin's effects on glucose homeostasis and locomotor activity...
- Infant growth and later body composition: evidence from the 4-component modelSirinuch Chomtho
The Medical Research Council, Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1776-84. 2008..Rapid weight gain in infancy is associated with higher body mass index in later life, but its relation with individual body-composition components remains unclear...
- Body composition in healthy agingR N Baumgartner
Division of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque 87131, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 904:437-48. 2000..These nonfat components of body composition play critical roles, influencing cognitive and physical functional status, nutritional and endocrine status, ..
- Comparison of 4 diets of varying glycemic load on weight loss and cardiovascular risk reduction in overweight and obese young adults: a randomized controlled trialJoanna McMillan-Price
Human Nutrition Unit, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Arch Intern Med 166:1466-75. 2006..Despite the popularity of low-glycemic index (GI) and high-protein diets, to our knowledge no randomized, controlled trials have systematically compared their relative effects on weight loss and cardiovascular risk...
- Metabolic and body composition factors in subgroups of obesity: what do we know?Antony D Karelis
Departement de Nutrition, Unité métabolique, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1A8
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2569-75. 2004..The purpose of this review was to investigate the roles of metabolic, body composition, and cardiovascular disease risk in subtypes of obesity...
- Vitamin D(3) is more potent than vitamin D(2) in humansRobert P Heaney
Creighton University, 601 North 30th Street, Suite 4841, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:E447-52. 2011..Current unitage for the calciferols suggests that equimolar quantities of vitamins D(2) (D2) and D(3) (D3) are biologically equivalent. Published studies yield mixed results...
- Outdoor temperature, age, sex, body mass index, and diabetic status determine the prevalence, mass, and glucose-uptake activity of 18F-FDG-detected BAT in humansVeronique Ouellet
Centre de Recherche de l Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Faculty of Medicine, Universite Laval, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:192-9. 2011....
- Obesity, regional body fat distribution, and the metabolic syndrome in older men and womenBret H Goodpaster
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:777-83. 2005..We determined whether patterns of regional fat deposition are associated with metabolic syndrome in older adults...
- Objectively measured physical activity and fat mass in a large cohort of childrenAndy R Ness
Department of Oral and Dental Science, University of Bristol, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 4:e97. 2007..Previous studies have been unable to characterise the association between physical activity and obesity, possibly because most relied on inaccurate measures of physical activity and obesity...
- Neonatal anthropometry: the thin-fat Indian baby. The Pune Maternal Nutrition StudyC S Yajnik
King Edward Memorial Hospital, Rasta Peth, Pune, India
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 27:173-80. 2003..To examine body size and fat measurements of babies born in rural India and compare them with white Caucasian babies born in an industrialised country...
- Contributions of total body fat, abdominal subcutaneous adipose tissue compartments, and visceral adipose tissue to the metabolic complications of obesityS R Smith
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Metabolism 50:425-35. 2001..375). These data suggest that total body fat is a major contributor to the metabolic sequelae of obesity, with specific fat depots, VAT, and DSAT also making significant contributions...
- Body fluid volume determination via body composition spectroscopy in health and diseaseUlrich M Moissl
Fresenius Medical Care Deutschland GmbH, Research and Development, Daimlerstrasse 15, D 61352 Bad Homburg, Germany
Physiol Meas 27:921-33. 2006..terms of usability and reproducibility, but a careful analysis reveals systematic deviations in extremes of body composition and morbid states...
- Measuring body compositionJ C K Wells
MRC Childhood Nutrition Centre, Institute of Child Health, London WC1, UK
Arch Dis Child 91:612-7. 2006Several aspects of body composition, in particular the amount and distribution of body fat and the amount and composition of lean mass, are now understood to be important health outcomes in infants and children...
- Programming of body composition by early growth and nutritionJonathan C K Wells
Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 66:423-34. 2007..postnatal growth for such associations remains controversial. Body composition may play a key role in the 'programming' of such diseases, through itself being programmed by early growth, ..
- Effects of the amount of exercise on body weight, body composition, and measures of central obesity: STRRIDE--a randomized controlled studyCris A Slentz
Divisions of Cardiology, Geriatric Medicine, and General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Duke Center for Living, Center for Health Policy Research, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:31-9. 2004..Obesity is a major health problem due, in part, to physical inactivity. The amount of activity needed to prevent weight gain is unknown...
- Decreased muscle strength and quality in older adults with type 2 diabetes: the health, aging, and body composition studySeok Won Park
Department of Internal Medicine, Pochon CHA University, Pochon, Korea
Diabetes 55:1813-8. 2006..and muscle mass in 485 older adults with diabetes and 2,133 without diabetes in the Health, Aging, and Body Composition study...
- Visceral fat is an independent predictor of all-cause mortality in menJennifer L Kuk
School of Physical and Health Education, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:336-41. 2006..To examine the independent associations of abdominal fat (visceral and subcutaneous) and liver fat with all-cause mortality...
- Physical activity intensity, sedentary time, and body composition in preschoolersPaul J Collings
Medical Research Council Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 97:1020-8. 2013Detailed associations between physical activity (PA) subcomponents, sedentary time, and body composition in preschoolers remain unclear.
- Inflammatory markers and depressed mood in older persons: results from the Health, Aging and Body Composition studyBrenda W J H Penninx
Sticht Center on Aging, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:566-72. 2003..Data are from 3024 well-functioning older persons, 70-79 years of age, participating in the Health, Aging and Body Composition study...
- Differences in body composition between infants of South Asian and European ancestry: the London Mother and Baby StudyKristina M Stanfield
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 41:1409-18. 2012South Asian children and adults have a more adipose body composition compared with those of European ancestry. This is thought to be related to their increased risk of metabolic disorders...
- Prognostic value of usual gait speed in well-functioning older people--results from the Health, Aging and Body Composition StudyMatteo Cesari
Department of Aging and Geriatric Research, College of Medicine, Institute on Aging, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32608, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:1675-80. 2005..To define clinically relevant cutpoints for usual gait speed and to investigate their predictive value for health-related events in older persons...
- A transgenic mouse with a deletion in the collagenous domain of adiponectin displays elevated circulating adiponectin and improved insulin sensitivityTerry P Combs
Department of Cell Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Endocrinology 145:367-83. 2004....
- Accuracy of direct segmental multi-frequency bioimpedance analysis in the assessment of total body and segmental body composition in middle-aged adult populationCarolina H Y Ling
Department of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 ZA Leiden, The Netherlands
Clin Nutr 30:610-5. 2011b>Body composition measurement is a valuable tool for assessing nutritional status and physical fitness in a variety of clinical settings. Although bioimpedance analysis (BIA) can easily assess body composition, its accuracy remains unclear...
- The effect of active video gaming on children's physical activity, behavior preferences and body compositionLee E F Graves
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, UK
Pediatr Exerc Sci 22:535-46. 2010..No body fat changes were observed between groups. Targeted changes in video game use did not positively affect PA. Larger trials are needed to verify the impact of active video games on children's PA and health...
- Effects of progressive resistance training on body composition in frail older adults: results of a randomized, controlled trialEllen F Binder
Division of Geriatrics and Nutritional Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, 4488 Forest Park Blvd, Suite 201, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:1425-31. 2005..Limited information is available regarding the effects of PRT on lean and fat mass in frail elderly persons...
- Associations between active school transport and physical activity, body composition, and cardiovascular fitness: a systematic review of 68 studiesRichard Larouche
Healthy Active Living and Obesity Research Group, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Phys Act Health 11:206-27. 2014The impact of active school transport (AST) on daily physical activity (PA) levels, body composition and cardiovascular fitness remains unclear.
- Evaluation of the novel Tanita body-fat analyser to measure body composition by comparison with a four-compartment modelS A Jebb
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge, UK
Br J Nutr 83:115-22. 2000..0) kg). The present paper also describes the derivation of a new prediction equation for the calculation of body composition from the Tanita body-fat analyser...
- Limits of body mass index to detect obesity and predict body compositionD C Frankenfield
Department of Clinical Nutrition, Penn State s Milton S Hershey Medical Center, PO Box 850, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Nutrition 17:26-30. 2001..In this study, we determined how accurately BMI could determine body composition and identify obese from non-obese individuals...
- A critique of the expression of paediatric body composition dataJ C Wells
Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
Arch Dis Child 85:67-72. 2001There is increasing interest in body composition in paediatric research, as distinct from growth and nutritional status, as almost all diseases have adverse effects on either fatness or the fat-free mass...
- No effects of low and high consumption of dairy products and calcium supplements on body composition and serum lipids in Puerto Rican obese adultsCristina Palacios
Nutrition Program, Graduate School of Public Health, Medical Sciences Campus, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico
Nutrition 27:520-5. 2011..The present study was conducted to determine if dairy or calcium supplementation alters body composition or serum lipids in Puerto Rican obese adults without dietary energy restriction or exercise.
- Interleukin-6-deficient mice develop hepatic inflammation and systemic insulin resistanceV B Matthews
Cellular and Molecular Metabolism Laboratory, Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, PO Box 6492, St Kilda Road Central, Melbourne, 3008, Vic, Australia
Diabetologia 53:2431-41. 2010..We aimed to determine whether global deletion of Il6 in mice (Il6 (-/-)) results in standard chow-induced and high-fat diet (HFD)-induced obesity, hepatosteatosis, inflammation and insulin resistance...
- Effect of school-based physical activity interventions on body mass index in children: a meta-analysisKevin C Harris
Department of Pediatrics, British Columbia Children s Hospital, Vancouver, BC
CMAJ 180:719-26. 2009..We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to determine the effect of school-based physical activity interventions on body mass index (BMI) in children...
- Effect of dairy consumption on weight and body composition in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trialsA S Abargouei
Food Security Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Int J Obes (Lond) 36:1485-93. 2012Although several observational and experimental studies have investigated the effect of dairy consumption on weight and body composition, results are inconsistent.
- Testosterone treatment improves body composition and sexual function in men with COPD, in a 6-month randomized controlled trialJ Svartberg
Department of Medicine, University Hospital of North Norway, N 9038 Tromsø, Norway
Respir Med 98:906-13. 2004The aim of this study was to assess the effect of a low-dose testosterone on body composition and pulmonary function, as well as on quality of life, sexuality, and psychological symptoms in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary ..
- Fluid status in peritoneal dialysis patients: the European Body Composition Monitoring (EuroBCM) study cohortWim Van Biesen
University Hospital Ghent, Ghent, Belgium
PLoS ONE 6:e17148. 2011..However, accurate tools to evaluate volume status in clinical practice and data on volume status in PD patients as compared to healthy population, and the associated factors, have not been available so far...
- Obesity in older adults: technical review and position statement of the American Society for Nutrition and NAASO, The Obesity SocietyDennis T Villareal
Division of Geriatrics and Nutritional Sciences, Center for Human Nutrition, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Obes Res 13:1849-63. 2005..Therefore, weight-loss therapy that minimizes muscle and bone losses is recommended for older persons who are obese and who have functional impairments or medical complications that can benefit from weight loss...
- Body composition and quality of life in adults treated with GH therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysisAhmad Hazem
Knowledge and Evaluation Research Unit, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Eur J Endocrinol 166:13-20. 2012To summarise the evidence about the efficacy and safety of using GH in adults with GH deficiency focusing on quality of life and body composition.
- Early development of adiposity and insulin resistance after catch-up weight gain in small-for-gestational-age childrenLourdes Ibanez
Endocrinology Unit, Hospital Sant Joan de Deu, University of Barcelona, Passeig de Sant Joan de Déu, 2, 08950 Esplugues, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:2153-8. 2006..Low birth weight followed by rapid postnatal weight gain is associated with long-term risks for central obesity and insulin resistance. However, the timing of these changes is unclear...
- The relationship between BMI and percent body fat, measured by bioelectrical impedance, in a large adult sample is curvilinear and influenced by age and sexS Meeuwsen
Bodystat Ltd, P O Box 50, Douglas, Isle of Man IM99 1DQ, United Kingdom
Clin Nutr 29:560-6. 2010..The study aimed to establish the effects of age, gender and age-gender interactions on BMI-% fat relationships over a wide range of BMI and age. It also aimed to examine controversies regarding linear or curvilinear BMI-% fat relationships...
- Variations in infant feeding practice are associated with body composition in childhood: a prospective cohort studySian M Robinson
Medical Research Council Epidemiology Resource Centre, University of Southampton, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2799-805. 2009Most studies of infant diet and later body composition focus on milk feeding; few consider the influence of variations in the weaning diet.
- Effect of dietary protein content on weight gain, energy expenditure, and body composition during overeating: a randomized controlled trialGeorge A Bray
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, 6400 Perkins Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
JAMA 307:47-55. 2012..The role of diet composition in response to overeating and energy dissipation in humans is unclear...
- BMI, fat mass, abdominal adiposity and visceral fat: where is the 'beef'?C Bouchard
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 31:1552-3. 2007
- Effect of a multistage ultra-endurance triathlon on body composition: World Challenge Deca Iron Triathlon 2006B Knechtle
Gesundheitszentrum St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Br J Sports Med 42:121-5; discussion 125. 2008To investigate the effect of a multistage ultra-endurance triathlon on body composition in ultra-triathletes.
- The emergence of the metabolic syndrome with menopauseMolly C Carr
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Nutrition, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 6426, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2404-11. 2003..A better understanding of these metabolic changes with menopause will aid in the recognition and treatment of women at risk for future CVD, leading to appropriate interventions...
- Body composition in psychotic disorders: a general population surveyS E Saarni
National Public Health Institute, Department for Mental Health and Alcohol Research, Mannerheimintie 166, 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Psychol Med 39:801-10. 2009..We examined the detailed body composition of people with different psychotic disorders in a large population-based sample.
- Time spent being sedentary and weight gain in healthy adults: reverse or bidirectional causality?Ulf Ekelund
Medical Research Council Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 88:612-7. 2008..Whether obesity is a cause or a consequence of a sedentary lifestyle has not yet been fully elucidated, which leaves uncertainty about the direction of causality...
- Evaluation of waist circumference, waist-to-hip ratio, and the conicity index as screening tools for high trunk fat mass, as measured by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry, in children aged 3-19 yR W Taylor
Departments of Human Nutrition, Medicine, and Preventive and Social Medicine, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Am J Clin Nutr 72:490-5. 2000..Because adiposity tracks from childhood into adulthood, the ability of simple anthropometric techniques to correctly measure truncal adiposity in childhood needs to be assessed...
- The role of diet and exercise for the maintenance of fat-free mass and resting metabolic rate during weight lossPetra Stiegler
Department of Human and Health Sciences, University of Westminster, London, UK
Sports Med 36:239-62. 2006..Exercise training is associated with an increase in energy expenditure, thus promoting changes in body composition and bodyweight while keeping dietary intake constant...
- A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged adultsKim S Stote
Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Agriculture Research Service, Beltsville, MD, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:981-8. 2007..A diet with less meal frequency can improve the health and extend the lifespan of laboratory animals, but its effect on humans has never been tested...
- Measures of bioavailable serum testosterone and estradiol and their relationships with muscle strength, bone density, and body composition in elderly menA W van den Beld
Department of Internal Medicine III, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:3276-82. 2000..study of 403 independently living elderly men, we tested the hypothesis that the decreases in bone mass, body composition, and muscle strength with age are related to the fall in circulating endogenous testosterone (T) and estrogen ..
- Relations of moderate and vigorous physical activity to fitness and fatness in adolescentsBernard Gutin
Georgia Prevention Institute, Department of Pediatrics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 81:746-50. 2005..It is unclear how moderate and vigorous intensities of physical activity (PA) are associated with cardiovascular fitness (CVF) and percentage of body fat (%BF) in adolescents...
- Programmed obesity in intrauterine growth-restricted newborns: modulation by newborn nutritionMina Desai
Perinatal Research Laboratories, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Torrance, CA, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 288:R91-6. 2005..of nutrient enhancement during the newborn period may modulate programming of appetite-regulating hormones, body composition, and propensity to adult obesity in intrauterine growth-restricted (IUGR) newborns...
- Body-composition assessment via air-displacement plethysmography in adults and children: a reviewDavid A Fields
Department of Internal Medicine, The Center for Human Nutrition, Washington University, St Louis, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 75:453-67. 2002..Wide intersubject variations between methods are partly attributed to technical precision and biological error but to a large extent remain unexplained. On the basis of this review, future research goals are suggested...
- Pediatric reference data for lean tissue properties: density and hydration from age 5 to 20 yJonathan C K Wells
Institute of Child Health, London, UK
Am J Clin Nutr 91:610-8. 2010Hydrometry and densitometry are widely used to assess pediatric body composition due to their ease of application...
- DNA methylation, insulin resistance, and blood pressure in offspring determined by maternal periconceptional B vitamin and methionine statusKevin D Sinclair
School of Biosciences and School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington, Leicestershire LE12 5RD, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:19351-6. 2007....
- Age and sex effects on the association between body composition and bone mineral density in healthy Chinese men and womenQun Cheng
Shanghai Geriatric Institute, Department of Osteoporosis, Research Section of Geriatric Metabolic Bone Disease, Huadong Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Menopause 19:448-55. 2012Many studies have examined the relationships between body composition and bone mineral density (BMD), but little attention has been given to how these relationships vary by age and sex...
- Effects of metformin on body weight and body composition in obese insulin-resistant children: a randomized clinical trialJack A Yanovski
Unit on Growth and Obesity, Program in Developmental Endocrinology and Genetics, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development NICHD, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Diabetes 60:477-85. 2011..Our objective was to determine whether metformin treatment causes weight loss and improves obesity-related comorbidities in obese children, who are insulin-resistant...
- Bone Deficits and Excess Adiposity after Pediatric Bone Marrow TransplantationSogol Mostoufi-Moab; Fiscal Year: 2013..published the first comprehensive studies of trabecular bone mineral density (BMD), cortical structure, and body composition in 55 long-term survivors of childhood HSCT...
- Effects of Evoked Resistance Training and Testosterone after Spinal Cord InjuryAshraf Gorgey; Fiscal Year: 2012..disorders such as glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and dyslipidemia secondary to deterioration in body composition. Within few weeks of injury, there are significant decrease in whole body fat-free mass (FFM), particularly ..
- Pituitary dysfunction, behavioral symptoms, and quality of life after blast mTBICHARLES WILLIAM WILKINSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..anxiety, depression, irritability, insomnia, and decreased quality of life (QoL), as well as changes in body composition including increased fat percentage, hyperlipidemia, and a decrease in muscle mass...
- Response to and signals of caloric restriction and intermittent feeding regimensMARC KOPEL HELLERSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..fasting (mADF) reproduce many of the benefits of true CR in mice, without weight loss or change in body composition. Biomarkers that respond to CR and certain mADF regimens include global cell proliferation (mammary, prostate,..
- Comparative Resistance Exercise Effects on Knee Osteoarthritis Pain, Functional IKEVIN ROBERT VINCENT; Fiscal Year: 2013..Men and women with OA related knee pain will be eligible for this study. Demographics, body composition, OA history and severity will be collected as descriptive variables...
- METABOLIC SYNDROME AND PERIODONTITIS IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENMichael J LaMonte; Fiscal Year: 2013..radiographs for alveolar crestal height (ACH);dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) for bone density and body composition;questionnaires on lifestyle habits, oral hygiene and medical history;resting blood pressure;and a fasting ..
- Pathogenesis of the Metabolic SyndromeW Timothy Garvey; Fiscal Year: 2013..resistant subjects, and patients with T2DM will be metabolically characterized by hyperinsulinemic clamps, body composition, IMCL, energy expenditure and substrate oxidation rates, and will be studied before and after perturbations ..
- Weight Loss &Exercise Effects on Telomere Length in Postmenopausal WomenANNE M MCTIERNAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..effects of dietary weight loss and exercise on telomere length and 2) the amount of weight loss, or change in body composition that may be necessary to effect changes in telomere length...
- INTERNET ENHANCED HEALTH PROMOTION FOR OBESE ETHNIC MINORITY ADOLESCENTSJessica A Whiteley; Fiscal Year: 2011..control have identified a number of limitations including 1) small sample sizes, 2) inadequate measures of body composition, 3) inattention to the impact of physical development in the analyses, 4) failure to disaggregate results for ..
- Undercarboxylated osteocalcin, body fat, and diabetes in older adultsAnn V Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2010..of older adults, this research project will use data and biological specimens from the Health, Aging and Body Composition (Health ABC) study, a cohort of 3,075 men and women, white and African-American, aged 70-79 years at baseline...
- Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Calcium Metabolism and the SkeletonANNE LOUISE SCHAFER; Fiscal Year: 2013..decreased skeletal loading, and changes in fat-secreted hormones or estrogen (due to changes in fat mass and body composition). Dr...
- Maternal One Carbon Metabolism and Low Birth Weight InfantSatish C Kalhan; Fiscal Year: 2013..These physiological data will be related to fetal growth as assessed by birth weight and body composition, and metabolic and hormonal assessments in the cord blood...
- Secondary Muscle Pathology &Metabolic Dysregulation in Adult with Cerebral PalsyMark Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Research Unit (MCRU) to learn dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry quantification of whole body and regional body composition, 3) Dr...
- Lifespan Extension Despite Greatly Elevated Insulin and Body FatDavid E Harrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..The following will be determined: body composition and subcutaneous/visceral fat tissue distribution (using computerized tomography imaging);circulating ..
- Calorie Restriction &Body Composition, Function, &QoL in Older AdultsJulie L Locher; Fiscal Year: 2013..minimize risk with weight reducing diets in older adults may be in understanding how age-related changes in body composition, in addition to excess weight gain, affect cardiometabolic risk factors and functional status...
- A Prospective Study of Adiposity and Subclinical Coronary Artery DiseaseCHRISTINA LYNN WASSEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recent studies indicate that other measures of body composition, including lean muscle and intermuscular, liver and pericardial fat, are correlated with adipocytokines and ..
- Metabolic Actions of Omega-3 Fatty Acids on InflammationMichael Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..quantified as, visceral and subcutaneous adipose volumes and muscle lipid accumulation by CT-scan and body composition (total and regional fat mass) by dual energy absorptiometry (DXA)...
- Masked Hypertension in Chronic Kidney DiseaseRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Sleep will be measured using portable multichannel overnight sleep monitoring. Body composition will be measured by the gold-standard measurement of air-displacement plethysmography (Bod Pod)...
- Body composition, bone structure, and joint damage in rheumatoid arthritisJoshua F Baker; Fiscal Year: 2013..team includes additional NIH-funded leaders in biostatistics, epidemiology, bone metabolism, body composition, and rheumatic disease, each of whom is dedicated to a coordinated effort to ward the success of his career...
- VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL: Effects on Bone Structure and ArchitectureMERYL SUSAN LEBOFF; Fiscal Year: 2013..placebo on bone health and body composition outcomes...
- Effect of Perinatal Diet on Developmental Programming of the SkeletonMary L Bouxsein; Fiscal Year: 2010..Bone mineral density and body composition will be measured in vivo using peripheral dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry;cortical and trabecular bone ..
- Metabolic Syndrome and Breast Cancer: Effects of a Combined Exercise InterventionChristina Dieli-Conwright; Fiscal Year: 2013..whether a 16-week exercise intervention will improve components of metabolic syndrome by measuring changes in body composition, waist circumference, blood pressure, resting energy expenditure (REE), and serum levels of insulin, glucose, ..
- Vitamin D Effect on Body Composition During Behavioral Weight Loss in WomenANNE M MCTIERNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, the relationships between vitamin D and specific components of body composition have not been well characterized in older populations...
- Mechanisms for the Effects of Hypothalamic PTP1B on Energy BalanceKARYN JOANNE CATALANO; Fiscal Year: 2010..the role of PTP1B regulation in these neurons by looking at the effect of PTP1B deletion on body weight, body composition using dual energy x-ray absorptiometry, energy expenditure using indirect calorimetry, and glucose metabolism ..
- NKT cells, fatty acids, and insulin resistanceCURTIS LEE GABRIEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specifically, we will measure weight gain, body composition, insulin resistance, and expression of pro-inflammatory genes in adipose tissue...
- Conservative Versus Dialytic Management in Stage V Chronic Kidney DiseaseGLENN MATTHEW CHERTOW; Fiscal Year: 2010..physical function, physical activity, cognitive function, mental health, nutritional and inflammatory status, body composition, blood pressure and pulse wave velocity, hospitalization rate and number of hospital days...
- Prenatal stress biology, infant body composition and obesity riskSonja Entringer; Fiscal Year: 2013..is to examine the influence of adverse intrauterine conditions, or prenatal stress, on newborn and infant body composition and obesity risk. Obesity is one of the most important health issues facing our nation...
- Role of Sirt1 in Regulating Glucose Homeostasis and Insulin Action in AgingCOLETTE M KNIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2012..Finally, we will also administer resveratrol orally over several weeks to determine its effects on body composition, insulin sensitivity, metabolic markers and inflammation in adipose tissue and adispose tissue macrophages in ..
- Neonatal Programming of Growth and Maturation in Rhesus MonkeysAndrew Muir; Fiscal Year: 2013..In rhesus monkeys, maternal body composition and gestational diet alter the growth and metabolism of the infants...
- The Effect of Behavioral and Physiological Factors on Obesity Risk in ChildrenKaren B Dorsey; Fiscal Year: 2012..on exercise tests relates to directly measured physical activity levels and to clinical measures of body composition. She will use a longitudinal analysis to determine whether performance on exercise tests and/or directly ..
- Exploring the Impact of Negative Energy Balance in Men with Prostate CancerWendy Demark-Wahnefried; Fiscal Year: 2013..wait-list control arms, and also monitor changes in body composition, energy intake and PA;these changes will be studied in relation to the following endpoints: a) changes in ..
- Saliva and Serum Inflammatory Biomarkers in Periodontitis: A Study in Older WomenJean Wactawski Wende; Fiscal Year: 2010..Assessments of bone density (DXA), body composition and other physical measures were obtained...
- Growth and Cardiometabolic Risk Among In Utero Drug Exposed ChildrenSARAH ELIZABETH MESSIAH; Fiscal Year: 2013..To longitudinally compare anthropometric measures (height, weight, body mass index, waist circumference, and body composition) among urban, African American children and adolescents who were or were not prenatally exposed to cocaine ..
- Attenuation of androgen deprivation therapy-induced metabolic syndrome by dietOleg Varlamov; Fiscal Year: 2013..Changes in energy balance, cytokine levels, insulin sensitivity, and body composition will be monitored in a longitudinal fashion, and the metabolic function of subcutaneous and visceral WAT will ..
- New Approaches to the Evaluation and Treatment of AcromegalyPamela U Freda; Fiscal Year: 2013..This recent work has identified novel changes in body composition in patients with acromegaly...
- Phosphoprotein CDP138 regulates glucose metabolismZHEN YUE JIANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..the physiological significance of CDP138 in vivo, by comparing insulin sensitivity, glucose disposal, body composition and metabolic rate in CDP138 knockout mice and their wild-type littermates fed with a normal chow or a high-..
- Role of maternal exercise environment on transgenerational offspring healthStephen M Roth; Fiscal Year: 2010..The offspring of exercised rodent dams or human mothers have altered body composition, organ weights, metabolism and/or behavioral patterns...
- Proinflammatory Biomarkers and Post-Breast CancerLymphedemaMei Rosemary Fu; Fiscal Year: 2012..period, including: (1) measuring and comparing LVC using the infra-red perometer, LE symptoms, BMI and body composition;(2) evaluating levels and patterns of proinflammatory biomarkers in relation to LVC;and (3) evaluating ..
- Regulation of Maternal Fuel Supply and Neonatal AdiposityLINDA ANNE BARBOUR; Fiscal Year: 2013..that maternal obesity and diabetes create an intrauterine environment promoting fetal overgrowth which alters body composition at birth and may potentiate the risk of childhood obesity...
- The altered lipid and protein metabolism of pediatric patients with HIV infectionFarook Jahoor; Fiscal Year: 2010..Measure body composition by DEXA, plasma lipid profile, plasma fatty acid appearance rate in the fasted and fed states, fatty acid ..
- Safe and Effective Vitamin D Supplementation in HIVVirginia A Stallings; Fiscal Year: 2012..to 160 ng/mL), improved cathecidin mRNA expression, and measures of bone, muscle, inflammation, growth and body composition status, and HIV/AIDS disease severity...
- The Role of FoxO1 in the Regulation of the Adipocyte Browning ResponseJOSHUA ROBERT COOK; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., body weight, body composition, adipose-tissue depot weights) and assays of insulin sensitivity at both the levels of whole-body (e.g...
- Eicosapentaenoic acid and protein modulation to induce anabolism in COPDMARIELLE PKJ ENGELEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The combination of plasma and muscle tissue sampling, stable isotope methodology, and assessment of body composition, functional status and quality of life will enable quantification of all endpoints...
- Metabolic and Energetic Consequences of FatherhoodWendy Saltzman; Fiscal Year: 2013..hormones, one possibility is that these endocrine profiles influence energy homeostasis, metabolism, and body composition, which in turn can affect health and longevity...
- Modulation of PPAR-gamma phosphorylation at S273 regulates insulin sensitivityALEXANDER BANKS; Fiscal Year: 2013..Following the induction of diet-induced obesity in these mice, we will examine body composition, glucose homeostasis and PPAR-gamma target gene expression in adipose tissue from obese mice...
- Inflammatory Cytokine regulation of POMC and Orexin neurons in cachexia.AARON GROSSBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..neurons will be evauated histochemically and correlated to measurements of motor activity, food intake, and body composition. A central cytokine administration model of cachexia will also be utilized, and the effectiveness of orexin ..
- Impact of Exercise on Body Composition in Premature Infants: New ApproachesDan M Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2013..The potential beneficial impact of augmented physical activity on 1) body composition, 2) associated biochemical and cellular mechanisms of growth and inflammation, and 3) quality of maternal ..
- NEURAL RESPONSE TO INSULIN RESISTANCE TREATMENTSJASON J HASSENSTAB; Fiscal Year: 2013..At baseline and follow- up, all participants will complete glucose clamp testing, body composition assessment, blood tests, blood pressure checks, comprehensive psychometric assessment, brief psychiatric ..
- The Role of Mitochondrial Toxicity in Metabolic Complications of Pediatric HIVTANVI SHAH SHARMA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our aims are to first characterize body composition abnormalities, nutritional issues, and metabolic complications in HIV-infected children by analyzing a large, ..
- Insulin Resistance in Chronic Kidney DiseaseIan H De Boer; Fiscal Year: 2013..These include the Institute for Translational Health Sciences Clinical Research Center, Nutrition and Body Composition Core, and Center for Biomedical Statistics.
- Insulin Resistance in Chronic Heart Failure: pathophysiology and potential for reNir Uriel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Total body fat, organ specific fat, and muscle mass will be measured in HF subjects to control for body composition. We will then evaluate exercise-induced changes in circulating FFA using cardiopulmonary exercise testing (..
- Maternal Overweight: Consequences for Insulin Signaling in the OffspringKartik Shankar; Fiscal Year: 2013..composition and life-style factors such as physical activity undoubtedly have important roles in determining body composition, maternal overweight (OW) status ( BMI >25) at conception may be a critical synergizing factor...
- Body Composition and Energy Utilization in Spinal Muscular AtrophyDouglas Michael Sproule; Fiscal Year: 2012..Unfortunately, although nutrition and body composition are a modifiable factors of potential importance in the optimal clinical management of patients with SMA, ..
- AUGMENTATION OF TRABECULAR BONE BY LOW MAGNITUDE STRAINClinton T Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2012..Three specific aims are designed to better understand the means by which LMMS influences the body composition of the growing, aging, obese and diseased animal: 1...
- Regulation of Brain Signaling After Bariatric SurgeryJonathan Q Purnell; Fiscal Year: 2010..They will also complete measures of body composition, visual analog scores for hunger and satiety, and adlibitum food intake...
- Do Genotype Patterns Predict Weight Loss Success for Low Carb vs. Low Fat Diets?Christopher D Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2013..24-hour recalls, NDS-R), appetite/satiety/hunger, energy expenditure (resting energy expenditure), body composition (DEXA), and blood variables (lipids, insulin, glucose, OGTT)...
- Bone Marrow Adiposity, Bone and Body CompositionAnn V Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2012..A better understanding of the process underlying the accumulation of marrow fat with age and osteoporosis may provide new targets for treatments to prevent bone loss. ..
- Genetic analysis fo metabolic syndrome by admixture mapping in African AmericansLudmila Pawlikowska; Fiscal Year: 2012..cohort of 2000 African-Americans from the Cardiovascular Health Study (CHS) and the Health, Aging and Body Composition Study (HABC)...
- Mitochondrial Determinants of Metabolic Disease in HIV-Infected ChildrenTracie L Miller; Fiscal Year: 2013..complications, including metabolic abnormalities such as insulin resistance, diabetes mellitus, and body composition changes...
- Effects of gastric bypass on the gut microbiota and energy balanceAlice Liou; Fiscal Year: 2012..gut microbial contributions to multiple aspects of metabolic regulation on both a physiological and molecular level, including food intake, fat deposition and body composition, energy expenditure, lipid metabolism and glucose metabolism.
- Mechanisms of Cancer Treatment Related SymptomsLisa J Wood; Fiscal Year: 2013..decreased appetite, sleep disturbance, difficulty thinking, anemia, pain, depressed mood and changes in body composition. These symptoms can greatly influence the subjective sensation of cancer treatment related fatigue (CTRF) ..
- Stimulated by Retinoic Acid (STra6) in Energy HomeostasisLAURA H ZEMANY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Glucose metabolism, insulin sensitivity, body composition, and energy expenditure will be studied in mice treated with STRA6 antisense oligonucleotides and in the ..
- Fetal Programming and Human Physical PerformanceTom Brutsaert; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will also measure body composition via hydro-densitometry and insulin resistance via an oral glucose tolerance test, both before and after ..
- ALTERATIONS IN BODY COMPOSITION AND GROWTH AT PUBERTYAlan Rogol; Fiscal Year: 1999We hypothesize that alterations in growth, 4 compartment of body composition (BC), regional distribution of body fat (RDBF; via MRI, anthropometry), and bone mineralization (BM; via DEXA) in boys and girls are driven by alterations in GH ..
- Childhood Origins for Cardiac Structure and FunctionShumei S Sun; Fiscal Year: 2012..portion of the FLS data set includes serial anthropometric and blood pressure measurements from birth---and body composition measurements from age eight years---through adulthood in 750 participants who consented to undergo ..
- Nutritional Intervention for Age-Related Muscular Function and Strength LossesJohn A Rathmacher; Fiscal Year: 2010..0 g/d + 2,000 IU Vitamin D. The subjects will undergo a 3-day per week exercise program, and body composition and strength will be measured at four week intervals...
- FAT AND FAT FREE BODY COMPOSITION IN OLDER MEN AND WOMENScott Going; Fiscal Year: 1991Accurate estimation of body composition in middle-aged and elderly individuals is limited by a lack of knowledge of the fat free body (FFB) composition in this age group...
- FAT AND FAT-FREE BODY COMPOSITION DEVELOPMENT IN AGINGRichard Boileau; Fiscal Year: 1992b>Body composition assessment is an important aspect in evaluating health, nutritional status and physical fitness...
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AND OVARIAN FUNCTIONBarbara Sternfeld; Fiscal Year: 2001Vigorous physical training, either independently or in conjunction with factors such as weight, body composition and/or energy intake, is associated with various disruptions in ovarian function, including oligo/amenorrhea, shortened ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS AND MODULATION OF GLIAL ACTIVATIONLinda Van Eldik; Fiscal Year: 2009..Phenotyping will includeanthropometry and body composition, as well as factors associated with the development of obesity: energy partitioning during growth, energy ..
- Metabolic and Nutritional Effects of ART in ChildrenMeera Chhagan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Specific aims of this study are to: 1) describe growth and body composition changes in the 2 years following initiation of ART;2) describe the incidence of metabolic derangements and ..
- Weight Loss and Exercise in Frail Obese Elderly SubjectsDENNIS VILLAREAL; Fiscal Year: 2009..are to evaluate the independent and combined effects of weight loss and exercise on physical function, body composition, bone and muscle metabolism, and quality of life in frail, obese elderly men and women...
- Genetic and Environmental Influences on Childhood GrowthBradford Towne; Fiscal Year: 2006..at regular intervals from approximately 900 boys and girls a comprehensive battery of growth, maturation, body composition, and health status measures, as well as information on specific environmental factors that likely impact the ..