- Systemic proliferative changes and clinical signs in cynomolgus monkeys administered a recombinant derivative of human epidermal growth factor
J F Reindel
Drug Safety Evaluation, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Toxicol Pathol 29:159-73. 2001
..Microscopically, pronounced dose-related epithelial hypertrophy and hyperplasia were evident in kidney, urinary bladder, skin (epidermis and adnexa), mammary gland, prostate, seminal vesicles, epididymis, uterus, cervix, vagina, ..
- Cancer in Circumpolar Inuit 1969-1988. A summary
N H Nielsen
Institute of Forensic Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Oncol 35:621-8. 1996
..Low risk was observed for cancer of the bladder, breast, endometrium and prostate, and for non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, leukaemia, multiple myeloma ..
- Multiple primary malignant tumors in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. A review of 29 patients
V de Pangher Manzini
Divisione di Medicina Generale, Ospedale di Monfalcone, Italy
Tumori 82:245-8. 1996
..RESULTS: Tumors associated with HCC were located in: prostate (9 cases), colon-rectum (5), bladder (3), lung (3), stomach (2), gallbladder (2), and brain, breast, oesophagus, pancreas, thyroid, larynx, pleura, ..
- The prevalence of cancer: a review of the available data
Piedmont Cancer Registry, Turin, Italy
Tumori 85:408-13. 1999
..period considered the cancer sites contributing most to cancer prevalence are lung, colon-rectum, prostate and bladder in males, colon-rectum, breast, uterus (both cervix and corpus) and ovary in females...
- [Inhibition of biofilm formation by clarithromycin (CAM) in an experimental model of complicated bladder infection--in vitro study using automated simulation of urinary antimicrobial concentration]
Department of Urology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:1306-17. 1994
..However, the details remain unclear. We used an experimental model of complicated urinary bladder infection and automated simulation of the variations in urinary antimicrobial concentration to study the efficacy ..
- Differences in cancer mortality trends between four neighboring north-eastern areas and Italy, 1970-1990
Servizio di Epidemiologia, Centro di Riferimento Oncologico, Aviano (Pordenone, Italy
Tumori 81:399-404. 1995
..RESULTS: Unfavorable trends were seen for neoplasms of the upper aerodigestive tract, lung, breast, colorectum, bladder, kidney and pancreas and cutaneous malignant melanoma...
- Differential changes of adrenoceptor- and muscarinic receptor-linked prostacyclin synthesis by the aorta and urinary bladder of the diabetic rat
J Y Jeremy
Department of Chemical Pathology and Human Metabolism, Royal Free Hospital and School of Medicine, University of London
Br J Pharmacol 108:1131-6. 1993
..PGI2) synthesis (measured as 6-oxo-PGF1 alpha by radioimmunoassay) was studied in the aorta and urinary bladder using adrenaline, angiotensin II (AII) and acetylcholine (ACh)...
- Carcinogenic activity of the flame retardant, 2,2-bis(bromomethyl)-1,3-propanediol in rodents, and comparison with the carcinogenicity of other NTP brominated chemicals
J K Dunnick
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Toxicol Pathol 25:541-8. 1997
..gland, oral cavity, esophagus, forestomach, small intestine, large intestine, mesothelium, kidney, urinary bladder, lung, thyroid gland, seminal vesicle, hematopoietic system, and pancreas in the male rat; mammary gland, oral ..
- Repression of the rat steroidogenic acute regulatory (StAR) protein gene by PGF2alpha is modulated by the negative transcription factor DAX-1
T W Sandhoff
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, USA
Endocrine 10:83-91. 1999
..to a luciferase reporter gene (creating p-1862 StAR) and cotransfected into Y1 adrenal tumor cells and HTB9 human bladder carcinoma cells with vectors which encode DAX-1 and SF-1...
- Cancer survival in Sweden during three decades, 1961-1991
Centre for Epidemiology, National Board of Health and Welfare, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Oncol 34:881-91. 1995
..No improvements are found for multiple myeloma or cancers of the liver, gall bladder, and pancreas. Small increases are shown for colorectal cancer and cancers of the stomach, oesophagus, and kidney...
- [Obstructive jaundice du to sludge in the common bile duct]
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 125:11-4. 2000
..Ultrasonography showed a gall bladder filled with biliary sludge and dilatation of the common bile duct and the smaller biliary passages...
- Comparison of two different radiotherapy schedules for spinal cord compression in prostate cancer
Radiation Oncology Center, Policlinico Hospital of Perugia, Italy
Tumori 84:472-7. 1998
..RESULTS: Back pain total response rate was 82%. Effectiveness of RT on motor and bladder capacity was conditioned by pretreatment status of patients...
- Modulation by stereoselective inhibition of cyclo-oxygenase of electromechanical coupling in the guinea-pig isolated renal pelvis
Pharmacology Department, A Menarini Pharmaceuticals, Florence, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 114:1149-58. 1995
..The renal end of the ureter was electrically stimulated while recording the mechanical activity of the renal and bladder ends of the ureter: addition of either (S)-ketoprofen or indomethacin (10 microM) did not effect propagation of ..
- A clinical prediction rule for the diagnosis of ureteral calculi in emergency departments
T J Elton
Division of Area Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905
J Gen Intern Med 8:57-62. 1993
..rule could identify emergency department patients with ureteral calculi; 2) whether the kidney, ureter, and bladder (KUB) radiograph provides diagnostic information beyond that obtained from the history and physical examination; ..
- Characterization of the capsaicin-sensitive component of cyclophosphamide-induced inflammation in the rat urinary bladder
Department of Biochemical Pharmacology, William Harvey Research Institute, Medical College of St Bartholomew s Hospital, London, England
Br J Pharmacol 111:1017-22. 1994
..p. 0.5-48 h before) caused a time-dependent plasma protein extravasation in the rat urinary bladder with the maximal extravasation occurring at between 2 and 4 h after administration of the drug. 2...
- Utilization of hospital resources by alcoholic and nonalcoholic patients: a prospective study
, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Gen Intern Med 6:216-22. 1991
..had the same lengths of stay (16 days), durations of intravenous infusions (six days), and durations of bladder catheterization (one day)...
- The biphasic response of rat vesical smooth muscle to ATP
Institute of Pharmacological Sciences, University of Milan, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 114:1557-62. 1995
..In this study the effects induced by ATP and ATP analogues on rat bladder strips were characterized at resting tone and in carbachol-prestimulated tissues. 2...
- 5-Hydroxytryptamine receptors that facilitate excitatory neuromuscular transmission in the guinea-pig isolated detrusor muscle
Department of Internal Medicine and Therapeutics, University of Pavia, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 115:677-83. 1995
1. In isolated detrusor strips from the guinea-pig urinary bladder, contractile responses to electrical field stimulation were mostly mediated by neurally released acetylcholine (ACh) and adenosine 5'-triphosphate (ATP). 2...
- Sonographic screening for urinary tract abnormalities in patients with Schistosoma haematobium infection: pitfalls in examining pregnant women
, Berlin, Germany
Bull World Health Organ 74:217-21. 1996
..In patients with urinary schistosomiasis, focal and/or diffuse urinary bladder wall changes are frequently detected ultrasonically...
- Incidence and survival of brain tumors: a population-based study
Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Servizio di Epidemiologia, Milano, Italia
Tumori 74:243-52. 1988
..the Lombardy Cancer Registry (RTL) has recorded all malignant tumors and the benign tumors of the nervous system, bladder and liver occurring in the Varese province...
- [Therapeutic effect of cefluprenam on polymicrobial urinary tract infection associated with Enterococcus faecalis, using the infectious urolithiasis model in rats]
Tokyo Research Laboratories, Eisai Co. Ltd
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 72:371-8. 1998
..mirabilis), Pseudomonas aeruginosa (P. aeruginosa) and Enterococcus faecalis (E. faecalis). In order to form bladder stones in rats, a sterile zinc ring was implanted as a foreign body, followed by inoculating P...
- [Study on local immune response in Escherichia coli-induced experimental urinary tract infection in mice--infiltration of Ia-positive cells, macrophages, neutrophils, T cells and B cells]
Department of Urology, Sapporo Medical College
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 66:964-73. 1992
..macrophages, neutrophils, T cells (CD4+, CD8+) and IgA positive B cells were significantly infiltrated in the bladder submucosa from 6 hours after bacterial inoculation...
- High dose etretinate and interferon-alpha--a phase I study in squamous cell carcinomas and transitional cell carcinomas
A D Roth
Oncosurgery, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland
Acta Oncol 38:613-7. 1999
..of the lung, head and neck, the esophagus, cervix and the penis, as well as in transitional carcinomas of the bladder. The treatment consisted of etretinate (Tigason) 4 mg/kg/d on 2, 3, 4 and finally 5 consecutive days every other ..
- Factors underlying the increased sensitivity to field stimulation of urinary bladder strips from streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats
T L Tammela
Division of Urology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104
Br J Pharmacol 113:195-203. 1994
1. The responses of bladder strips from control, streptozotocin-diabetic, and sucrose-drinking rats to electrical field stimulation were investigated...
- [Prolonged peridural analgesia (PDA) for postoperative pain therapy after major urologic interventions. Experiences with 172 adult patients]
Urologe A 39:41-7. 2000
..g. cystectomy with bladder substitution), mobilization was impressively unproblematic...
- The lion of the union: the pelvic wound of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
W J Harmon
Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 78250, USA
J Urol 163:713-6. 2000
..In particular the most devastating injury was a rifle shot through the pelvis rupturing the bladder and urethra...
- Neuropeptide Y in rat detrusor and its effect on nerve-mediated and acetylcholine-evoked contractions
M M Iravani
Department of Pharmacological Sciences, Medical School, Newcastle upon Tyne
Br J Pharmacol 113:95-102. 1994
..and isolated organ bath techniques were used to detect the presence of neuropeptide Y (NPY) in the rat urinary bladder and to determine its effect on tone, spontaneous activity and contractile responses of the detrusor muscle to ..
- Vaginal topography does not correlate well with visceral position in women with pelvic organ prolapse
Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612-3873, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 8:336-9. 1997
..The most dependent portion of the bladder, small intestine, rectum and urethrovesical junction was measured...
- 1991 Volvo Award in experimental studies. Cauda equina syndrome: neurologic recovery following immediate, early, or late decompression
R B Delamarter
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, School of Medicine, Los Angeles
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 16:1022-9. 1991
..The dogs receiving 24-hour compression remained paraparetic 5-7 days, with bladder dysfunction for 7-10 days and tail dysfunction persisting for 4 weeks...
- Comparative aspects of contraceptive steroids--effects observed in beagle dogs
A N Johnson
R W Johnson Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Ortho Pharmaceutical Corporation, Raritan, New Jersey 08869
Toxicol Pathol 17:389-95. 1989
..of the tubular genitalia, and occasionally in the transitional epithelium of the neck/trigone area of the urinary bladder. The contraceptive formulations used in humans are balanced with an E:P ratio of about 1:5 to 1:80 to produce a ..
- Disparate circadian variations of blood pressure and body temperature in bedridden elderly patients with cerebral atrophy
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Am J Hypertens 8:773-81. 1995
..blood pressure (BP) and pulse rate monitorings were done with simultaneous measurement of urinary bladder temperature. Urine was also collected every 4 h to measure 17-hydroxycorticosterone and catecholamines...
- Cancer mortality in migrant populations within Italy
M A Vigotti
Laboratorio di Fisiologia Clinica, Pisa, Italy
Tumori 74:107-28. 1988
..g., mouth or pharynx, esophagus, larynx, stomach or bladder) than for others (e.g., intestines or breast)...
- Video-assisted percutaneous cystoscopy of the bladder and prostatic urethra in the dog: new approach for visual laser ablation of the prostate
S J Van Lue
Department of Small Animal Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, USA
J Endourol 9:503-7. 1995
A new minimally invasive approach for video laparoscopy was developed to access the bladder and prostatic urethra of the dog in order to perform laser ablation of the prostate without using either an open laparotomy or urethrostomy...
- Involvement of multiple receptors in the biological effects of calcitonin gene-related peptide and amylin in rat and guinea-pig preparations
Pharmacology Department, A Menarini Pharmaceuticals, Florence, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 107:510-4. 1992
..isolated left atrium (electrically driven), in mucosa-free strips from the base of the guinea-pig urinary bladder and in the rat isolated vas deferens (pars prostatica)...
- Examination of lesions in the urinary bladder and kidney of dogs induced by nefiracetam, a new nootropic agent
Drug Safety Research Laboratory, Daiichi Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Tokyo, Japan
Toxicol Pathol 24:549-57. 1996
Toxic lesions induced by nefiracetam, a nootropic drug, in the urinary bladder and kidney were examined by repeated oral administration of 300 mg/kg/day for 1, 2, 3, 4, or 11 wk to male and female beagle dogs...
- Flow cytometric and immunohistochemical correlations in high incidence human solid tumors
D T Danesi
Sezione di Tossicologia e Scienze Biomediche, ENEA CR Casaccia, Rome, Italy
Tumori 83:689-97. 1997
..with carcinoma at different sites (141 colon-rectum; 102 breast; 50 stomach; 48 kidney; 46 head and neck; 41 bladder; 47 other sites) submitted to surgery have been analyzed after histopathological staging and grading, by flow ..
- Effect of sulfosulfuron on the urine and urothelium of male rats
L L Arnold
Department of Pathology Microbiology and the Eppley Cancer Center, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68198 3135, USA
Toxicol Pathol 29:344-52. 2001
..Urinary bladder tumors were found in 2 females in the 5000 ppm group, both in the presence of calculi...
- Immunomodulation in the treatment of multiple sclerosis and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a model for autoimmune disorders
Institute for Advanced Studies in Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 87:561-8. 1995
..17 patients presented with visual problems, 12 had lower extremity weakness or paraperesis/paralysis, and 6 had bladder/bowel dysfunction...
- Pharmacological analysis of the local and reflex responses to bradykinin on rat urinary bladder motility in vivo
Pharmacology Research Dept, A Menarini Pharmaceuticals, Florence, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 114:708-14. 1995
1. The topical application of bradykinin (BK) (0.05-5000 pmol/rat) onto the serosal surface of the urinary bladder in urethane-anaesthetized rats, evoked low amplitude tonic contractions (not exceeding 25 mmHg) or high amplitude (about ..
- Effects of inhibition of the L-arginine/nitric oxide pathway in the rat lower urinary tract in vivo and in vitro
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Br J Pharmacol 107:178-84. 1992
..methyl ester (L-NAME), 10 and 20 mg kg-1, administered intra-arterially, decreased micturition volume and bladder capacity, and increased spontaneous bladder contractions. D-NAME (20 mg kg-1) had no effect...
- Bilateral diffuse uveal melanocytic proliferation in a woman with uterine leiomyoma: case report
Y C Chen
Department of Ophthalmology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Fu-Shin Street, Kweishan, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Chang Gung Med J 24:274-9. 2001
..It was reported to be associated with primary carcinomas of the lung, ovary, colon, gall bladder, esophagus, pancreas, uterus, and cervix...
- Quadriplegia after lumbar disc surgery. A case report
J J Langmayr
, Innsbruck, Austria
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:1932-5. 1996
..Therapy included arterial blood pressure control, low molecular dextran, dexamethasone, bladder catheterization, and physiotherapy...
- Neoadjuvant CMV chemotherapy plus radical cystectomy in locally advanced bladder cancer: the impact of pathologic response on long-term results
Department of Urology, Scientific Institute Ospedale San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Tumori 82:463-9. 1996
AIMS AND BACKGROUND: Neoadjuvant systemic chemotherapy in infiltrating transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder has proved to be effective and to provide a pathologic complete response in about 30% of patients...
- Activation of the micturition reflex by NK2 receptor stimulation in the anaesthetized guinea-pig
Department of Discovery Biology, Pfizer Central Research, Sandwich, Kent
Br J Pharmacol 115:875-82. 1995
1. The mechanisms underlying stimulation of bladder contractions and bronchoconstriction by the selective NK2 receptor agonist, [beta-Ala8]NKA(4-10), were examined in the anaesthetized guinea-pig. 2...
- Evidence for a capsaicin-sensitive, tachykinin-mediated, component in the NANC contraction of the rat urinary bladder to nerve stimulation
Pharmacology Department, A Menarini Pharmaceuticals, Florence, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 112:1123-31. 1994
..atropine (1 microM) and guanethidine (3 microM), electrical field stimulation (EFS) of the rat isolated urinary bladder for 30 s induced a frequency-dependent (1-30 Hz) nonadrenergic non-cholinergic (NANC) triphasic contraction ..
- Scoliosis Research Society. Multicenter spine fracture study
S D Gertzbein
Texas Back Institute, Houston
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:528-40. 1992
..fractures there was a weakly positive relationship between canal compromise and neurologic deficit, including bladder function; 5) surgical intervention led to a greater percentage of improved neurologic function than nonoperative ..
- Differential effects of suramin on P2-purinoceptors mediating contraction of the guinea-pig vas deferens and urinary bladder
S J Bailey
Receptors and Cellular Regulation Research Group, School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey
Br J Pharmacol 112:219-25. 1994
..P2-purinoceptor antagonist, suramin, was investigated on contractions of the guinea-pig vas deferens and urinary bladder induced by adenosine 5'-triphosphate (ATP) and by the other naturally occurring nucleoside triphosphates. 2...
- Development of generic models for ambulatory vaginal surgery--a preliminary report
P E Papa Petros
Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 9:19-27. 1998
..repair; the creation of artificial neoligaments; the prevention of urinary retention by avoiding tightness in the bladder neck area; local anesthetic infiltration; and buttressing vaginal tissue during wound healing...
- Intraoperative improvements of somatosensory evoked potentials: correlation to clinical outcome in surgery for cervical spondylitic myelopathy
J A Bouchard
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:589-94. 1996
..All patients had rapid recovery of motor strength, bladder control, and ambulatory capacity within days of surgery...
- Comparability issues within the ITACARE data base
Tuscany Tumour Registry, Italy
Tumori 83:25-32. 1997
..As regards disease definition, the most relevant problems arose for urinary bladder. Skin melanoma should also be considered with some caution, due to variability among registries in coding in situ ..
- Dose-dependent amplification by L-ascorbic acid of NaHCO3 promotion of rat urinary bladder carcinogenesis
First Department of Pathology, Osaka City University Medical School, Japan
Toxicol Pathol 25:284-90. 1997
The dose dependence of L-ascorbic acid (AsA) copromotion of urinary bladder carcinogenesis with continuous concomitant administration of NaHCO3 was investigated. In the first experiment, 83 male F344 rats were all given 0...
- Urinary schistosomiasis in Maiduguri, north east Nigeria
K S Chugh
Department of Medicine, University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Nigeria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 80:593-9. 1986
..Serum creatinine was raised in one patient (2.2 mg dl-1), Urological abnormalities included calcification of the bladder in 36.4%, ureteric strictures and dilatations in 65.9%, hydronephrosis in 9...
- Villous adenomas of the urinary tract: report of two cases
M T Sung
Department of Pathology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Chang Gung Med J 23:291-5. 2000
..The histogenesis and malignant potential are uncertain. We report on 2 cases, 1 each in the urethra and bladder. The first is a 57-year-old male who complained of an acute attack of urinary retention...
- Rat urinary bladder hyperplasia induced by oral administration of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors
S Molon Noblot
Department of Safety Assessment, Merck Sharp and Dohme Chibret, Riom, France
Toxicol Pathol 20:93-102. 1992
..Similar urinary bladder changes were seen with both compounds...
- [Fundamental and clinical studies on MIC breakpoint of SY5555 for Enterococcus faecalis in complicated urinary tract infections of moderate severity]
Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:639-53. 1994
..faecalis. 1. Experimental study In a study employing an experimental model of complicated bladder infections of moderate severity, it was judged that the MIC breakpoints of SY5555 administered at 150 mg x 3/day ..
- Chemotherapy in invasive carcinoma of the bladder. A review of phase II trials in Egypt
Medical Oncology Department, National Cancer Institute, Cairo, Egypt
Acta Oncol 28:73-6. 1989
Since 1976, a series of phase II studies with screening of various chemotherapeutic agents in invasive bladder cancer have been conducted at the National Cancer Institute, Cairo...
- Evidence for the presence of both pre- and postjunctional P2-purinoceptor subtypes in human isolated urinary bladder
Department of Pharmacology, Glaxo Research Laboratories, Verona, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 114:35-40. 1995
1. In order to characterize P2-purinoceptor(s) in human urinary bladder the contractile effects of ATP and its slowly-hydrolyzable analogues alpha, beta-methylene ATP (alpha, beta-MeATP) and beta, gamma-methylene ATP (beta, gamma-MeATP) ..
- Bladder cancer in women
H G van der Poel
University Hospital, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 10:207-12. 1999
b>Bladder cancer is seen mainly in men. The incidence in women is increasing, but is still approximately three to four times lower than in men...
- Tachykinin NK1 receptor subtypes in the rat urinary bladder
Pharmacology Department, A Menarini Pharmaceuticals, Florence, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 111:739-46. 1994
..the aim of the study was to investigate the possible heterogeneity of tachykinin NK1 receptors in the rat urinary bladder. 2. The synthetic tachykinin receptor agonists, septide (pD2 7.87) and [Sar9]substance P (SP) sulphone (pD2 7...
- Structure and blood supply of intrinsic lymph nodes in the wall of the rabbit urinary bladder--studies with light microscopy, electron microscopy, and vascular corrosion casting
F E Hossler
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, James H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City 37614, USA
Anat Rec 252:477-84. 1998
The urinary bladder is especially subject to infection by virtue of its direct connection to the external urethral opening, and it is natural to anticipate the presence of a well-developed immunological mechanism to respond to this ..
- Bradykinin B1 receptors in the rabbit urinary bladder: induction of responses, smooth muscle contraction, and phosphatidylinositol hydrolysis
S K Butt
Biomedical Sciences Division, King s College London, Chelsea
Br J Pharmacol 114:612-7. 1995
..and second-messenger coupling-mechanisms, of bradykinin B1 receptors in an intact tissue, the rabbit urinary bladder; and to investigate the influence of inhibition of endogenous peptidases on kinin activities. 2...
- Diagnosis and management of bladder injury by trauma surgeons
Chi Hsun Hsieh
Department of Trauma and Emergency Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Kwei Shan, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Am J Surg 184:143-7. 2002
b>Bladder injuries constitute one of the most common urological injuries involving the lower urinary tract. The methods of diagnosis and management of bladder trauma have been well established and accepted...
- Evidence for a unique elastic sheath surrounding the vesicular arteries of the rabbit urinary bladder--studies of the microvasculature with microscopy and vascular corrosion casting
F E Hossler
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, J H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City 37614, USA
Anat Rec 252:472-6. 1998
Because the urinary bladder stores and releases urine, its normal function includes filling and emptying, accompanied by distension and relaxation. It is known that chronic distension compromises blood flow...
- [Cystectomy for indications other than bladder cancer]
Urologische Klinik und Poliklinik, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Urologe A 43:172-7. 2004
A cystectomy for indications other than transitional cell cancer of the bladder or general bladder cancer is frequently performed in cooperation with other surgical specialties such as general surgery or gynecology...
- Development and regenerative ability of bladder in the transgenic epidermal growth factor receptor gene knockout mouse
M J DiSandro
Department of Urology, University of California San Francisco, USA
J Urol 158:1058-65. 1997
During embryogenesis we have previously shown that urothelium is essential for normal bladder growth and development...
- [Bladder, bowel and sexual dysfunction in patient with mulitple sclerosis]
Medicinski fakultet Univerziteta u Tuzli
Med Arh 60:182-4. 2006
b>Bladder, bowel and sexual dysfunction are not rare in multiple sclerosis (MS). The most frequent bladder disorders are in urgency, frequency as well as retention...
- Systematic review of the clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of photodynamic diagnosis and urine biomarkers (FISH, ImmunoCyt, NMP22) and cytology for the detection and follow-up of bladder cancer
Health Services Research Unit, Institute of Applied Health Sciences, University of Aberdeen, UK
Health Technol Assess 14:1-331, iii-iv. 2010
..of photodynamic diagnosis (PDD) compared with white light cystoscopy (WLC), and urine biomarkers [fluorescence in situ hybridisation (FISH), ImmunoCyt, NMP22] and cytology for the detection and follow-up of bladder cancer.
- Quality of life study in prostate cancer patients treated with three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy: comparing late bowel and bladder quality of life symptoms to that of the normal population
A L Hanlon
Department of Radiation Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 49:51-9. 2001
The goals of this study were twofold. First, differences were quantified for symptoms that impact bowel and bladder quality of life (QOL) in prostate cancer patients treated with three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy (3DCRT) alone to ..
- Contractility of urinary bladder and vas deferens after sensory denervation by capsaicin treatment of newborn rats
A U Ziganshin
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, University College London
Br J Pharmacol 114:166-70. 1995
..sensory neurotoxin, was given to newborn rats and at the age of 3 months the contractile activity of the urinary bladder detrusor muscle and vas deferens evoked by either electrical field stimulation (EFS) or exogenous adenosine 5'-..
- Smooth muscle neoplasms of the urinary bladder: a clinicopathologic study of 51 cases
Thomas K Lee
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 34:502-9. 2010
Smooth muscle neoplasms of the urinary bladder are relatively rare. We report the largest series to date examining the clinicopathologic features of leiomyomas and leiomyosarcomas of the bladder...
- Effect of 5-hydroxytryptamine1 serotonin receptor agonists on noxiously stimulated micturition in cats with chronic spinal cord injury
Department of Surgery, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Urol 177:2381-5. 2007
..Tocris Cookson, Ellisville, Missouri) inhibit bladder activity during saline infusion into the bladder of cats with chronic spinal cord injury (saline infused, spinal ..
- The classification and identification of human somatic and parasympathetic nerve fibres including urinary bladder afferents and efferents is preserved following spinal cord injury
Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 49:263-86. 2009
..Upon retrograde bladder filling the urinary bladder stretch and tension receptor afferent activities were increased; on two occasions ..
- [Urinary BTA-TRAK in the follow-up of superficial transitional-cell bladder carcinoma]
Jesus M Fernández Gómez
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Central de Asturias, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Oviedo, Oviedo, Asturias, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 55:41-9. 2002
To determine the efficacy of urinary BTA-TRAK as a marker in monitoring superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder and to compare urine cytology with urinary sediment testing.
- Neuroblastoma of the urinary bladder, preclinically detected by mass screening
Departments of Pediatric Surgery, Tokai University School of Medicine, Isehara, Kanagawa, Japan
Pediatrics 103:e67. 1999
..An extremely rare tumor at the dome of the urinary bladder in a 7-month-old infant was detected by the mass screening.
- Effect on urinary bladder function and arterial blood pressure of the activation of putative purine receptors in brainstem areas
Department of Physiology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Auton Neurosci 88:6-15. 2001
The effect on bladder function and arterial blood pressure of adenosine-5'-triphosphate (ATP) and its synthetic analogue, alpha,beta-methylene ATP (alpha,beta-meATP) applied by microinjection to brainstem areas was assessed in the ..
- Surveillance of patients with bladder carcinoma using fluorescent in-situ hybridization on bladder washings
Department of Urology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
BJU Int 101:26-9. 2008
..Downers Grove, IL, USA) fluorescent in-situ hybridization (FISH) assay to that of urinary cytology obtained from bladder irrigation during cystoscopic surveillance in patients with bladder carcinoma.
- Bladder cancer predisposition: a multigenic approach to DNA-repair and cell-cycle-control genes
Department of Epidemiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030, USA
Am J Hum Genet 78:464-79. 2006
..In this hospital-based case-control study with 696 white patients newly diagnosed with bladder cancer and 629 unaffected white controls, we applied a multigenic approach to examine the associations with ..
- Experience with 100 cases treated with botulinum-A toxin injections in the detrusor muscle for idiopathic overactive bladder syndrome refractory to anticholinergics
D M Schmid
Department of Urology, University Hospital Zurich, Frauenklinikstrasse 10, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
J Urol 176:177-85. 2006
..ongoing study we evaluated the efficacy and safety of botulinum-A toxin injections in the detrusor muscle to treat patients with idiopathic overactive bladder resistant to conventional treatment, such as anticholinergic drugs.
- 5-Fluorouracil incorporated into the tissue RNA of human and rat bladder carcinoma after administration of 1-(2-tetrahydrofuryl)-5-fluorouracil combined with uracil
Department of Urology, Takanohara Central Hospital, 3 3 Ukyo 1 chome, Nara, Nara, 634 8522, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 13:138-43. 2008
..This study was conducted to examine the TS inhibition rate (TS-IR) and the concentration of 5-FU incorporated in RNA per milligram of tissue treated with UFT (F-RNA)...
- Efficacy of sodium hyaluronate in the management of chemical and radiation cystitis
M L Sommariva
Department of Urology, G Fornaroli Hospital, Magenta, Milan, Italy
Minerva Urol Nefrol 62:145-50. 2010
..agents by intravesical instillation for non-muscle invasive transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder or after radiotherapy for prostatic cancer is frequent and problematic, since it responds poorly and slowly to ..
- [Effects of anesthesia on postoperative micturition and urinary retention]
J P Pertek
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, CHU de Nancy Brabois, Vandoeuvre les Nancy
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 14:340-51. 1995
..Surgical trauma to the pelvic nerves or to the bladder, postoperative oedema around the bladder neck, and pain-induced reflex spasm of the external and internal ..
- Molecular networks discriminating mouse bladder responses to intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG), LPS, and TNF-alpha
Marcia R Saban
College of Medicine, Department of Physiology, Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center OUHSC, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
BMC Immunol 9:4. 2008
Despite being a mainstay for treating superficial bladder carcinoma and a promising agent for interstitial cystitis, the precise mechanism of Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) remains poorly understood...
- Pelvic fracture-related injuries of the bladder neck and prostate: their nature, cause and management
Anthony R Mundy
Institute of Urology, London, UK
BJU Int 105:1302-8. 2010
To report our experience of bladder neck injuries, which are a well recognized but rare consequence of pelvic fracture-related trauma to the lower urinary tract, as we have been unable to find any reference in the English literature to ..
- Prognostic significance of thymidylate synthase activity in bladder carcinoma
Department of Urology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi Hirokoji, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto 602 8566, Japan
Cancer 92:510-8. 2001
5-fluorouracil (5-FU) is an anticancer agent clinically used against various cancers including bladder carcinoma. 5-FU inhibits thymidylate synthase (TS) and blocks DNA synthesis...
- The significance of a positive bladder neck margin after radical prostatectomy: the American Joint Committee on Cancer Pathological Stage T4 designation is not warranted
Phillip M Pierorazio
James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Urol 183:151-7. 2010
The American Joint Committee on Cancer currently designates invasion of the bladder neck as a pT4 lesion...
- Therapeutic receptor targets for lower urinary tract dysfunction
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Suite 700 Kaufmann Medical Building, 3471 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 377:437-48. 2008
..to store and periodically release urine, are dependent on the activity of smooth and striated muscles in the bladder, urethra, and external urethral sphincter...
- Damage to the bladder neck alters autonomous activity and its sensitivity to cholinergic agonists
Rik de Jongh
Department of Urology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
BJU Int 100:919-29. 2007
..motor component of the motor/sensory system, which contributes to sensation during the filling phase of the micturition cycle, as a result of surgically induced bladder pathology, i.e. damage to the bladder neck and outlet obstruction.
- Survival rates after radical cystectomy according to tumor stage of bladder carcinoma at first presentation
Urology Clinic, Carl Thiem Hospital, Cottbus, University Teaching Hospital Charité zu Berlin, Thiemstrasse, Cottbus, Germany
Urol Int 72:103-11. 2004
The aim of this study was to establish to what extent the survival rates of muscle-invasive bladder carcinoma are influenced by the tumor stage at initial presentation.
- Prognostic factors for primary superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: a retrospective cohort study
Tu bao Yang
Department of Epidemiology and Statistics, School of Public Health, Central South University, Changsha 410078, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 119:1821-8. 2006
Previous studies showed that the prognostic factors for superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder varied with the findings of different cohorts...
- Urodynamic findings of the painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis: a comparison with idiopathic overactive bladder
Sung Han Kim
Department of Urology, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul National University of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Urol 181:2550-4. 2009
In this study we identify the characteristics of the urodynamic results in patients with painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis and in those with idiopathic overactive bladder.
- Management of functional bladder neck obstruction in women: use of alpha-blockers and pediatric resectoscope for bladder neck incision
Department of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
J Urol 162:2061-5. 1999
Functional bladder neck obstruction has been definitively diagnosed in the last few years due to detailed synchronous pressure flow, electromyography and video urodynamics...
- Prognostic significance of orotate phosphoribosyltransferase activity in bladder carcinoma
Department of Urology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Cancer 100:723-31. 2004
5-Fluorouracil (5-FU), an antitumor agent, is used clinically against a variety of malignancies, including bladder carcinoma...
- Is a positive bladder neck margin truly a T4 lesion in the prostate specific antigen era? Results from the SEARCH Database
W Cooper Buschemeyer
Department of Surgery Division of Urologic Surgery, Duke University School of Medicine and Urology Section, Surgical Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center Durham, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Urol 179:124-9; discussion 129. 2008
Positive bladder neck margins after radical prostatectomy are currently designated as pT4 lesions. However, to our knowledge the prognostic significance of a positive bladder neck margin in the prostate specific antigen era is unknown...
- Expanded PTFE bladder neck slings for incontinence in children: the long-term outcome
Department of Paediatric Urology, Sheffield Children s NHS Trust, Sheffield, UK
BJU Int 93:139-41. 2004
To assess the long-term outcome of circumferential expanded PTFE (Gore-tex, WL Gore Associates, Scotland) bladder neck slings for achieving urethral continence in children with a neuropathic bladder.
- Comparison of telomerase activity and matrix metalloproteinase-9 in voided urine and bladder wash samples as a useful diagnostic tool for bladder cancer
Oncology Diagnostic Unit, Biochemistry Department, Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Eur Urol 44:687-94. 2003
This study was undertaken to evaluate the diagnostic efficacy of telomerase in urine, and bladder wash and also the matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) in urine, compared with voided urine cytology (VUC) and bladder wash cytology (BWC) ..
- Urothelial neoplasms of the urinary bladder occurring in young adult and pediatric patients: a comprehensive review of literature with implications for patient management
Gladell P Paner
Department of Pathology, Section of Urology, The University of Chicago Hospitals, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Adv Anat Pathol 18:79-89. 2011
b>Bladder urothelial carcinoma is typically a disease of older individuals and rarely occurs below the age of 40 years...
- Adenoviral receptor expression of normal bladder and transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder
Department of Urology, USC School of Medicine, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, Los Angeles, Calif, USA
Urol Int 78:160-6. 2007
..The purpose of the present study was to determine the extent of expression and localization of the known Ad receptor proteins (CAR, alpha(v)beta3, and alpha(v)beta5) in normal and cancerous human bladders...
- The initial results in muscle-invading bladder cancer of RTOG 95-06: phase I/II trial of transurethral surgery plus radiation therapy with concurrent cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil followed by selective bladder preservation or cystectomy depending on the in
D S Kaufman
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Oncologist 5:471-6. 2000
..surgery plus concomitant cisplatin, 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), and radiation therapy in conjunction with selective bladder preservation in patients with muscle-invading bladder cancer. Patients and Methods...
- [Recommendations for the urodynamic examination in the investigation of non-neurological female urinary incontinence]
Jean Francois Hermieu
Clinique Urologique, CHU Bichat 46 Rue Henri Huchard, 75018 Paris
Prog Urol 17:1264-84. 2007
..Before any form of surgery for pure stress urinary incontinence, evaluation of bladder emptying by determination of maximum flow rate and residual urine is recommended...
- Effects of hyperthermia on the rat bladder: a pre-clinical study on thermometry and functional damage after treatment
Department of Radiotherapy, Academic Medical Centre, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Hyperthermia 19:45-57. 2003
The rat bladder was heated using a microwave applicator which was equipped with a system of circulating deionized water. The applicator was operated at 434 MHz and was placed at the ventral side with the rats in supine position...
- Diagnostic value of voided urine and bladder barbotage cytology in detecting transitional cell carcinoma of the urinary tract
B R Konety
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Urol Int 62:26-30. 1999
..with the use of urine cytology for the screening and diagnosis of transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) of the bladder and upper urinary tracts at our institution between January 1987 and December 1995...