- A case of retention of urine and haematocolpometra
Emergency Department, Tawam Hospital, Al Ain, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Eur J Emerg Med 10:244-5. 2003
..Examination showed that she was in urinary retention and an imperforate hymen was found. Further investigation showed haematocolpos and haematometra...
- [Abnormalities of external and internal genitalia]
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Frauenheilkunde und Geburtshilfe, Klinikum der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München Grosshadern, Munich, Germany
Gynakol Geburtshilfliche Rundsch 43:136-45. 2003
..The treatment of genital developmental anomalies is generally not difficult but requires the appropriate clinical and surgical expertise...
- Role of laparoscopy in vaginal malformation
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, 42055 Saint Etienne Cedex 2, France
Surg Endosc 18:87-91. 2004
..The aim of this study was to assess the role of laparoscopy in the management of vaginal malformations in children, a subject not often discussed in the literature...
- Congenital vaginal obstructions: varied presentation and outcome
Section of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, The Aga Khan University, P O Box 3500, Stadium Road, Karachi, 74800, Pakistan
Pediatr Surg Int 22:749-53. 2006
..Management included excision of imperforate hymen (16) and transverse vaginal septum (8) through perineal (20) and abdominoperineal approach (4)...
- Acute urinary retention as the presentation of imperforate hymen
Jei Wen Chang
Department of Pediatrics, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, and Institute of Clinical Medicine, National Yang Ming University School of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan, R O C
J Chin Med Assoc 70:559-61. 2007
..Ultrasonography demonstrated a large echogenic mass over the vagina and mild dilation of the uterus. Imperforate hymen associated with hematocolpos and hematometrium was diagnosed. Cruciate hymenotomy was performed...
- Imperforate hymen-a rare cause of abdominal pain: two cases and review of the literature
Haseki Training and Research Hospital, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Istanbul, Turkey
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 20:245-7. 2007
..To document an unusual cause of abdominal pain in premenarcheal adolescent girls...
- Neonatal imperforate hymen causing obstruction of the urinary tract
Navroop S Johal
Department of Paediatric Urology, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, National Health Service Trust, London, United Kingdom
Urology 73:750-1. 2009
An imperforate hymen associated with urinary retention, bilateral hydronephrosis, and bilateral hydrosalpinx is extremely rare in the neonatal period...
- On the AJR viewbox. Hematometrocolpos due to imperforate hymen in a patient with bicornuate uterus
Jeffrey M Levsky
Montefiore Medical Center Bronx, NY 10467, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 186:1469-70. 2006
- Long-term follow-up of women who underwent surgical correction for imperforate hymen
C C Liang
Division of Urogynecology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou Medical Center, 5, Fu Shin Street, Kweishan, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC, 333
Arch Gynecol Obstet 269:5-8. 2003
..to demonstrate the clinical results of postoperative evaluation for a consecutive series of cases of imperforate hymen presenting at a tertiary medical center during an over 14-year period...
- Hematocolpos causing severe urinary retention in an adolescent girl with imperforate hymen: an uncommon presentation
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 280:461-3. 2009
..Hematocolpos is rarely presented as a pelvic mass which mechanically compresses the bladder and the urethra thereby causing urinary retention...
- Imperforate hymen and urinary retention in a newborn girl
Department of Urology, Shahid Labbafinejad Medical Center, Shahid Beheshti Medical University, Tehran, Iran
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 22:49-51. 2009
Urinary retention is relatively rare in infants,especially in girls. Imperforate hymen is the most frequent congenital malformation of the female genital tract and is usually asymptomatic until puberty...
- Dominant transmission of imperforate hymen
J R Stelling
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts, Boston, USA
Fertil Steril 74:1241-4. 2000
Imperforate hymen is an uncommon anomaly of the reproductive tract, occurring in approximately 0.1% of newborn females. The familial occurrence of imperforate hymen in a child, her mother, and her mother's monozygotic twin is reported.
- Congenital urethrovaginal fistula with imperforate hymen: a first case report
Jayesh V Dhabalia
Department of Urology, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 31:652-3. 2009
..We describe a case of congenital urethrovaginal fistula with an imperforate hymen and no other urogenital abnormalities.
- [Urinary retention caused by hematocolpos secondary to imperforate hymen]
J A López López
Hospital Clinico Universitario, Zaragoza, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 46:732-3. 1993
We report on two adolescent girls with imperforate hymen that had presented clinically as urinary retention...
- Acute urinary retention in two patients with imperforate hymen
T J Yu
Division of Urologic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taiwan
Scand J Urol Nephrol 27:543-4. 1993
Acute urinary retention in two adolescent girls with hematometrocolpos caused by imperforate hymen are reported...
- Treatment of imperforate hymen by application of Foley catheter
Anne S Garden
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 106:3-4. 2003
- Imperforate hymen and ruptured hematosalpinx: a case report with a review of the literature
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
J Adolesc Health 24:226-8. 1999
The imperforate hymen is a common genital disorder, but a ruptured hematosalpinx is a fairly rare complication...
- Congenital imperforate hymen and its life-threatening consequences in the neonatal period
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 19:99-103. 2006
Imperforate hymen is most commonly an isolated finding and usually remains asymptomatic until puberty...
- Distal mucocolpos and proximal hematocolpos secondary to concurrent imperforate hymen and transverse vaginal septum
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Women s and Children s Hospital, North Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
J Pediatr Surg 34:1555-6. 1999
A 12-year-old girl had cruciate incision of imperforate hymen draining a large mucocolpos. Her symptoms did not abate thereafter, and 3 months later a transverse vaginal septum was diagnosed...
- Early detection of imperforate hymen prevents morbidity from delays in diagnosis
Jill C Posner
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Pediatrics 115:1008-12. 2005
Although it is detectable at all ages through inspection of the external genitalia, imperforate hymen (IH) is a diagnosis that is missed commonly...
- Hymen sparing surgery for imperforate hymen: case reports and review of literature
Zonguldak Karaelmas University, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Esenkoy, Kozlu 67600 Zonguldak, Turkey
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 22:e61-4. 2009
Imperforate hymen, with an incidence between 0.1% and 0.05%, is the most common obstructive congenital abnormality of the female genital tract...
- Surgical correction of vaginal anomalies
Rachel J Miller
Department of Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 51:223-36. 2008
Summary of accurate diagnosis and surgical management of vaginal anomalies. Imperforate hymen, transverse septa, and distal vaginal agenesis present similarly with pain and hematocolpos...
- [Magnetic resonance imaging of congenital vaginal anomalies]
Department of Radiology, PUMC Hospital, CAMS and PUMC, Beijing 100730, China
Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao 27:103-7. 2005
..To describe the magnetic resonance (MR) imaging manifestations in vaginal anomalies, and to discuss the utility and limit of MR imaging in diagnosis of this abnormality...
- Forensic examination of suspected child victims of sexual abuse in the UK: a personal view
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust and Gloucestershire Constabulary, Cheltenham General Hospital, Sandford Road, Cheltenham, GL53 7AN, UK
J Clin Forensic Med 12:57-63. 2005
..The practical difficulties of examining a reluctant child and achieving adequate visualisation of the hymen in relaxed state, are frequently underestimated...
- Severe haematoma of the vulva and defloration caused by goring
M Ihsan Okur
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Firat Medical Center, Firat University, 23119 Elazig, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 119:250-2. 2005
..We present a case of haematoma of the vulva caused by goring by a cow. The hymen and vaginal wall were also lacerated...
- An unusual case of urinary retention in a competitive gymnast
Morristown Memorial Hospital, Morristown, New Jersey, USA
J Emerg Med 31:279-81. 2006
Hydrocolpos is the accumulation of blood behind an imperforate hymen. Patients often present in early adolescence with cyclic abdominal pain...
- Genital anatomy in pregnant adolescents: "normal" does not mean "nothing happened"
Nancy D Kellogg
Departments of Pediatrics, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78229, USA
Pediatrics 113:e67-9. 2004
..This study may be helpful in assisting clinicians and juries to understand that vaginal penetration generally does not result in observable evidence of healed injury to perihymenal tissues...
- [A case of atresia hymenalis in a pubescent girl with complaint of dysuria]
Department of Urology, National Hospital Organization Nara Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 50:889-91. 2004
..Seventy-eight cases of atresia hymenalis reported in the Japanese literature since 1987 are reviewed. It is necessary to include atresia hymenalis in diagnosis of voiding difficulty in pubescent girls...
- Genital findings in prepubertal girls: what can be concluded from an examination?
Cheltenham General Hospital, Cheltenham, UK
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 21:177-85. 2008
..Interpretation of genital findings is a key component of the medical examination for suspected child sexual abuse. This study seeks to review the extent of evidence-based research on genital findings in prepubertal girls...
- Genital anatomy in non-abused preschool girls
A K Myhre
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Children s and Women s Health, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Acta Paediatr 92:1453-62. 2003
..To describe the normal variations in genital anatomy in preschool girls selected for non-abuse...
- Hematocolpometra associated with an imperforate hymen and acute urinary retention mimicking a pelvic mass
Kuang Pin Hsu
Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 47:222-3. 2008
- [Imperforate hymen; importance of inspection of the external genitalia]
M A C Lubsen-Brandsma
Academisch Medisch Centrum Universiteit van Amsterdam, afd Verloskunde en Gynaecologie, H4 205, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 152:533-7. 2008
..e. mammae and pubic hair, were developed, but menarche had not occurred. All were found to have imperforate hymen. After incision, the symptoms disappeared. Imperforate hymen causes clinical symptoms from the time of menarche...
- To pee or not to pee
Arch Dis Child 92:865. 2007
- [Unperforated hymen as an uncommon cause of recurrent abdominal pain]
I Delgado Pecellín
An Pediatr (Barc) 66:626-7. 2007
- Expert opinion: vaginal aplasia: creation of a neovagina following the Creatsas vaginoplasty
Division of Pediatric Adolescent Gynecology and Reconstructive Surgery, 2nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Athens, Aretaieion Hospital, Athens, Greece
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 131:248-52. 2007
..operative technique which involves the following surgical steps: Under general anesthesia, and after cutting the hymen with the use of diathermy, a U-shaped incision is made in the vulva extending across the perineum and up to the ..
- Hematometrocolpos presenting as sciatica, constipation, and urinary retention
William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 47:71-3. 2008
- [Sexual abuse of prepubertal children]
Arne Kristian Myhre
Barne og ungdomsklinikken, St Olavs Hospital, 7006 Trondheim, Institutt for laboratoriemedisin barne og kvinnesykdommer, Det medisinske fakultet, Norges Teknisk Naturvitenskapelige Universitet, Norway
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 126:2511-4. 2006
..The main reason for this change is increased knowledge about normal variation and healing after injury, as well as an improvement in standardisation of terminology...
- Concurrent imperforate hymen, transverse vaginal septum, and unicornuate uterus: a case report
2nd Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Athens Medical School, Aretaieion Hospital, GR 11528, Athens, Greece
J Pediatr Surg 42:1446-8. 2007
..After clinical and imaging examination, an imperforate hymen and a large hematocolpos along the upper part of the vagina was diagnosed...
- The gynaecologist as an expert witness in cases of sexual abuse
Trakya University, Kirklareli College of Health, Kirklareli, Turkey
Reprod Biomed Online 15:41-2. 2007
..Medical examination was required in order to bring an accusation against the perpetrator. The girl was sent for hymen examination three times because two gynaecologists and one forensic expert produced different witness reports, ..
- When virginity does matter: rigid hysteroscopy for diagnostic and operative vaginoscopy--a series of 26 cases
GATA School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ankara, Turkey
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 14:651-3. 2007
..In conclusion, the use of a rigid hysteroscope as a vaginoscope to replace the speculum in adult virgin patients is feasible and introduces an operative option as well...
- The treatment of 65 women with imperforate hymen by a central incision and application of Foley catheter
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Meram Medicine Faculty, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
BJOG 114:1376-9. 2007
To determine the surgical outcome of 65 women with imperforate hymen treated with a central surgical incision and insertion of a Foley catheter.
- Healing of nonhymenal genital injuries in prepubertal and adolescent girls: a descriptive study
Children s and Adolescent s Research and Evaluation Center, University of California, Davis, California, USA
Pediatrics 120:1000-11. 2007
..The objective of this study was to identify the healing process and outcome of nonhymenal injuries in prepubertal and pubertal girls...
- Sexual abuse in children
Charles Felzen Johnson
The Ohio State University School of Medicine and Public Health, Child and Family Advocacy Program, Children s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Pediatr Rev 27:17-27. 2006
- Familial occurrence of imperforate hymen
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 18:427-9. 2005
Imperforate hymen is uncommon, occurring in 0.1 % of newborn females. Non-syndromic familial occurrence of imperforate hymen is extremely rare and has been reported only three times in the English literature...
- [Sexual child abuse: correlation between medical certificates' conclusions and judiciary sanctions]
M M Soumah
Service de Médecine Légale et Médecine du Travail, Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, Dakar
Dakar Med 50:85-90. 2005
..This study has shown the importance of a correct and complete drafting of the medical certificate, to enable the establishment by the judge the materiality of the facts...
- Primary amenorrhoea: three cases from a semi-rural Namibian hospital
Jeroen van Dillen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Onandjokwe Lutheran Hospital, Ondangwa, Namibia
Trop Doct 35:186-8. 2005
..This semirural district hospital also serves as a referral hospital and has both ultrasound and laparoscopy possibilities...
- [Hematocolpos due to imperforate hymen]
Service de chirurgie viscérale et gynécologique, Centre Hospitalier Général Decize
J Chir (Paris) 142:105-6. 2005
- Healing of hymenal injuries in prepubertal and adolescent girls: a descriptive study
Child and Adolescent Research and Evaluation Diagnostic and Treatment Center, University of California, Davis, Children s Hospital, Sacramento, California, USA
Pediatrics 119:e1094-106. 2007
..The objective of this study was to identify the healing process and outcome of hymenal injuries in prepubertal and adolescent girls...
- Use of hymenal measurements in the diagnosis of previous penetration
Abbey B Berenson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0587, USA
Pediatrics 109:228-35. 2002
..To determine the usefulness of measurements of the vaginal opening and amount of hymenal tissue present inferiorly and laterally in the diagnosis of vaginal penetration...
- Appearance of the genitalia in girls selected for nonabuse: review of hymenal morphology and nonspecific findings
Astrid H Heger
LAC USC Violence Intervention Program, Department of Pediatrics, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, California, Los Angeles 90033, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 15:27-35. 2002
- Imperforate hymen: a not-so-hidden diagnosis
Eva M Wall
Am J Emerg Med 21:249-50. 2003
- Site-specific prevalence and cell densities of selected microbes in the lower reproductive tract of menstruating tampon users
Anne E Hochwalt
The Procter and Gamble Company, 6110 Center Hill Road, Cincinnati, OH 45224, USA
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 10:141-51. 2002
- Treatment of imperforate hymen by application of Foley catheter
Deparment of Obstetric and Gynecologic, Faculty of Medicine, Selcuk University, Selçuk Unv Tip Fak Kadin hastaliklari ve Doğum ABD, 42080 Akyokus, Konya, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 106:72-5. 2003
To treatment of patients with imperforate hymen without damaging the structure of hymen.
- Ectrodactyly ectodermal dysplasia-clefting syndrome with hematocolpometra presenting as acute urinary retention
Chung Chang Shen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chang Gung University, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 4F 4, 123 6 Ta Pei Road, Niao Sung Hsiang, Kaohsiung County, Taiwan, ROC
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 81:894-5. 2002
- Haematocolpos--an uncommon cause of lower abdominal pain in adolescent girls
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Maulana Azad Medical College and Lok Nayak Hospital, New Delhi
J Indian Med Assoc 100:240-1. 2002
Two cases of haematocolpos in adolescent girls due to imperforate hymen are reported. Both of them presented with lower abdominal pain and urinary retention. Hymenotomy was performed in both the cases...
- Anogenital injuries in child pedestrians run over by low-speed motor vehicles: four cases with findings that mimic child sexual abuse
Stephen C Boos
Department of Pediatrics, Armed Forces Center for Child Protection, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Pediatrics 112:e77-84. 2003
..This case series documents an important nonintentional mechanism of anogenital injury that mimics the physical findings of child sexual abuse...
- Growth hormone, IGF-1, insulin, SHBG, and estradiol levels in girls before menarche
Clinic of Surgical Gynaecology and Oncology of Adults and Children, Pomeranian Academy of Medicine, Al Powstancow Wlkp 72, 70 111 Szczecin, Poland
Arch Gynecol Obstet 268:293-6. 2003
..three months, we recorded weight, height, BMI, maturation of tertiary sex features, estrogen-related changes in hymen, sonographic dimensions of ovaries and uterus and serum levels of growth hormone, IGF-1, SHBG, insulin, and ..
- Retrospective study of alleged rape victims attended at Forensic Medicine Department of Dhaka Medical College, Bangladesh
Muhammad Nurul Islam
Department of Forensic Medicine, Dhaka Medical College, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Leg Med (Tokyo) 5:S351-3. 2003
..Genital findings included hymenal rupture in 38.9% and 9.6% cases of forchette were found with recent tears. In 248 cases, opinion was negative due to delayed attendance, false charge and time-consuming procedures...
- An uncommon cause of abdominal pain in an adolescent
Department of Emergency Medicine, Nassau University Medical Center, East Meadow, NY 11554, USA
South Med J 101:1065-6. 2008
Imperforate hymen is a rare congenital anomaly which emergency physicians often forget to include in the differential diagnosis of lower abdominal pain in a pubescent girl...
- The adolescent hymen
Center for STD and HIV Olafiaklinikken, Grensen 5 7, 0150 Oslo, Norway
J Reprod Med 47:710-4. 2002
..This paper reviews current knowledge about the hymen, with a focus on puberty and adolescence...
- [Atresia hymenalis with acute urinary retention under the anti-histamine drug: a case report]
Department of Urology, Tsukuba Central Hospital
Nihon Hinyokika Gakkai Zasshi 94:448-51. 2003
..However, we believe it should be considered as one causative disease in pubescent girls who complaining of difficulty in urination. Subsequently an examination of the external genitalia should be performed...
- Has this prepubertal girl been sexually abused?
Molly Curtin Berkoff
Division of General Pediatrics, University of North Carolina, 231 MacNider, CB 7225, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
JAMA 300:2779-92. 2008
..While the absence of genital trauma does not rule out sexual abuse, the physical examination can identify genital findings compatible with sexual abuse...
- Reproductive anatomy of the female Amazonian manatee Trichechus inunguis Natterer, 1883 (Mammalia: Sirenia)
Fernanda Rosa Rodrigues
Aquatic Mammals Laboratory, National Institute of Amazonian Research, Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 291:557-64. 2008
..The ovaries, uterine tubes, uterus, vagina, and external genitalia are described. The hymen presents two tiny openings separated by a segment that, upon rupturing during the first copulation, should make up ..
- Use of office hysteroscopy to empty a very large hematometra in a young virgin patient with mosaic Turner's syndrome
Attilio Di Spiezio Sardo
Department of Gynaecology, Obstetrics and Pathophysiology of Human Reproduction, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Fertil Steril 87:417.e1-3. 2007
..To describe the successful management of a hematometra using a 5-mm continuous flow operative office hysteroscope...
- Male sexual dysfunction in unconsummated marriage: long-term outcome in 417 patients
Department of Urology, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, Kermanshah, Iran
J Sex Med 5:2895-903. 2008
..Little research has been conducted about unconsummated marriage (UCM)...
- [Morphological and functional pelvic floor disorders from the gynecological viewpoint]
Klinik und Poliklinik für Geburtshilfe und Frauenheilkunde, Klinikum der Universitat Munchen Grosshadern
Radiologe 40:437-45. 2000
..Assessment of the relevance of imaging techniques is of particular importance...
- Pelvic organ prolapse in older women: prevalence and risk factors
University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Obstet Gynecol 104:489-97. 2004
..We sought to estimate the prevalence of pelvic organ prolapse in older women using the Pelvic Organ Prolapse Quantification examination and to identify factors associated with prolapse...
- Urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse
G M Buchsbaum
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY, USA
Minerva Urol Nefrol 58:311-9. 2006
..This is important as pelvic organ prolapse beyond the hymen may either cause or mask lower urinary tract dysfunction...
- Laparoscopic extraperitoneal uterine suspension to anterior abdominal wall bilaterally using synthetic mesh to treat uterovaginal prolapse
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Anhui Provincial Hospital and Anhui Medical University, Hefei, China
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 17:631-6. 2010
..The POP-Q score for point C was significantly farther from the hymen at 6-months and 1-year follow-up compared with the preoperative value (-7.8 and -8.0 vs 2.6, respectively; p < ...
- [Imperforate hymen: a series of 13 cases]
Riadh Ben Temime
Service de gynécologie obstétrique A Hôpital Charles Nicolle Tunis
Tunis Med 88:168-71. 2010
Imperforate hymen is a rare congenital malformation. Patients often remain asymptomatic until puberty and present in early adolescence with cyclic abdominal pain...
- Children with anogenital symptoms and signs referred for sexual abuse evaluations
N D Kellogg
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78284 7808, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 152:634-41. 1998
..To determine whether children referred to a sexual abuse clinic because of anogenital symptoms or signs have examination findings that are suggestive of or probable or definitive for sexual abuse...
- Posterior pelvic floor prolapse and a review of the anatomy, preoperative testing and surgical management
S D Kleeman
Section of Urogynecology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Minerva Ginecol 60:165-82. 2008
The vagina proper extends from the hymen to the cervix and uterus. The anterior wall of the rectum and the posterior vaginal wall are fused for approximately 3 to 4 cm into the vagina. Above this, a plane of dissection is easily created...
- Genital and anal injuries requiring surgical repair in females less than 21 years of age
Jerry G Jones
Department of Pediatrics, University of Arkansas College of Medicine, Arkansas Children s Hospital, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 21:207-11. 2008
..We sought to determine the causes of genital and anorectal injuries requiring surgical repair in relation to such variables as injury sites and severity...
- Secondary amenorrhea with normal ovulatory cycles in a young virgin with normal follicle stimulating hormone levels--a case report
The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School at Camden Cooper Hospital University Medical Center Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, Camden, NJ, USA
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 35:147-8. 2008
..To determine if normal ovulation is possible despite amenorrhea in the absence of any obvious uterine abnormalities or adhesions...
- Amenorrhea: evaluation and treatment
Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, USA
Am Fam Physician 73:1374-82. 2006
..the most common etiology is congenital outflow tract obstruction with a transverse vaginal septum or imperforate hymen. If the patient has abnormal uterine development, müllerian agenesis is the likely cause and a karyotype analysis ..
- Obstructed uterovaginal anomalies: demonstration with sonography. Part II. Teenagers
A R Blask
Russell H Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore
Radiology 179:84-8. 1991
..of the obstruction by combining the sonographic findings with those from the physical examination (ie, bulging hymen, blind vaginal pouch, no vaginal depth, normal vagina) or by combining transabdominal sonography with simultaneous ..
- Congenital imperforate hymen with hydrocolpos and hydronephrosis associated with severe hydramnios and increase of maternal ovarian steroidogenic enzymes
Centre for Cell Chromosome Biology, Biosciences, School of Health Sciences and Social Care, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UK
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 23:136-41. 2010
..At a molecular level, we investigated the gene expression of key steroidogenic enzymes from the maternal ovary...
- Excision of high vaginal septum
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Maternity Hospital, and Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Arch Gynecol Obstet 281:955-7. 2010
..Transverse vaginal septum occurs because there is a defect in vertical fusion during embryological development of the vagina. It is quite rare and is infrequently encountered by most obstetricians and gynecologists in their practice...
- Medium-term follow-up on use of freeze-dried, irradiated donor fascia for sacrocolpopexy and sling procedures
Mary Pat Fitzgerald
Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 15:238-42. 2004
..The SCP procedure was considered to be unsuccessful if any anterior vaginal wall point (Aa or Ba) was at the hymen or beyond, or if the vaginal apical point (C or D) descended to a point at least halfway to the hymen from a ..
- Vaginal paravaginal repair with an AlloDerm graft
Jeffrey L Clemons
Division of Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, RI, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 189:1612-8; discussion 1618-9. 2003
- Natural history of pelvic organ prolapse in postmenopausal women
Catherine S Bradley
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Obstet Gynecol 109:848-54. 2007
..To describe the natural history of pelvic organ prolapse and risk factors for changes in vaginal descent in older women...
- Pelvic organ prolapse in young women
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Obstet Gynecol 90:33-6. 1997
..To determine differences in the characteristics and type of genital prolapse in young women compared with older women...
- Three-dimensional ultrasound in the diagnosis of Müllerian duct anomalies and concordance with magnetic resonance imaging
Gabinete Médico Velazquez, Madrid, Spain
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 35:593-601. 2010
..To demonstrate the value of three-dimensional (3D) ultrasound in the diagnosis of uterine malformations and its concordance with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)...
- Pelvic-floor muscle function in women with pelvic organ prolapse
Diane F Borello-France
Department of Physical Therapy, 111 Health Sciences Bldg, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA 15282, USA
Phys Ther 87:399-407. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to determine whether pelvic organ prolapse severity, pelvic symptoms, quality of life, and sexual function differ based on pelvic-floor muscle function in women planning to have prolapse surgery...
- Vaginal wall descensus and pelvic floor symptoms in older women
Catherine S Bradley
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Obstet Gynecol 106:759-66. 2005
..To understand the clinical significance of early pelvic organ prolapse in older women, we studied associations between vaginal descensus and pelvic floor symptoms...
- Female epispadias: a case report and review of the literature
Department of Urology, Medical Faculty, Gaziosmanpasa University, Tokat, Turkey
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 25:613-6. 2009
..On physical examination, bifid clitoris and labia minora were seen. The vagina and hymen were normal. Voiding cystourethrogram showed no reflux...
- A tiny membrane defending 'us' against 'them': Arabic Internet debate about hymenorraphy in Sunni Islamic law
Asia Orient Institute, Eberhard Karls University, Tubingen, Germany
Cult Health Sex 12:755-69. 2010
In the Sunni Arab world, hymen repair has become a subject of considerable controversy due to a public statement of Egypt's Mufti Guma a in 2007...
- Vaginal pH and parabasal cells in postmenopausal women
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu 96826, USA
Obstet Gynecol 94:700-3. 1999
..To determine the vaginal pH level that correlates with elevated parabasal cells in vaginal smears...
- Comparison of bony dimensions at the level of the pelvic floor in women with and without pelvic organ prolapse
Tamara A Stein
Pelvic Floor Research Group, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI Division of Anatomical Science, Office of Medical Eduction, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:241.e1-5. 2009
..We sought to compare bony pelvis dimensions at the level of pelvic support in women with and without pelvic organ prolapse (POP)...
- Vaginal parity and pelvic organ prolapse
Lieschen H Quiroz
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center, 920 SL Young, WP 2430, Oklahoma City, OK 73034, USA
J Reprod Med 55:93-8. 2010
..To investigate whether the odds of pelvic organ prolapse vary significantly with the number of vaginal births and whether cesarean birth is associated with prolapse...
- Congenital H-type anovestibuler fistula
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Adnan Menderes University, 09100 Aydln, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 9:881-2. 2003
..A vestibuler opening was seen in the midline just below of the hymen. A fistulous communication was found between the vestibuler opening and the anus, just above the dentate line...
- [Analysis of 81 cases of congenital anomalies of the vagina]
Maternal and Infant Hospital of Guangzhou, Guangzhou 510180, China
Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 29:1468-70. 2009
..To investigate the types, clinical features and therapeutic approaches of congenital anomalies of the vagina...
- I-131 localization in hematocolpos: a differential diagnosis consideration for pelvic I-131 uptake
Department of Radiology, Nuclear Medicine Section, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Clin Nucl Med 32:659-60. 2007
..Further history revealed the patient had not yet reached menarche. For concerns of an imperforate hymen possibly trapping radioactive blood, a pelvic ultrasound was performed and was compatible with hematocolpos...
- Anogenital injuries in adolescents after consensual sexual intercourse
Jeffrey S Jones
Grand Rapids MERC Michigan State University Program in Emergency Medicine, Spectrum Health Hospital Butterworth Campus, YWCA Nurse Examiner Program, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 2560, USA
Acad Emerg Med 10:1378-83. 2003
..To compare the types and locations of anogenital injuries occurring in adolescent females (13-17 years old) after consensual and nonconsensual sexual intercourse...
- Office vaginoscopic treatment of an isolated longitudinal vaginal septum: a case report
Attilio Di Spiezio Sardo
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics and Pathophysiology of Human Reproduction, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 14:512-5. 2007
..This technique might represent an effective treatment of an LVS, mostly in patients with an intact hymen. This could allow the inclusion of vaginal lesions among the indications for office endoscopic procedures ..
- Hysteroscopic resection of the vaginal septum in uterus didelphys with obstructed hemivagina: a case report
Tae Eun Kim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The Institute of Reproductive Medicine and Population, Medical Research Center, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 22:766-9. 2007
..we used hysteroscopic excision under transabdominal ultrasonographic guidance to preserve the integrity of the hymen. The postoperative course was uneventful, and clinical symptoms were completely resolved after this intervention...
- Congenital imperforate hymen with bilateral hydronephrosis, polydactyly and laryngocele: A rare neonatal presentation
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Duzce University, Turkey
Fetal Pediatr Pathol 29:89-94. 2010
Imperforate hymen is a rare congenital malformation to present with symptoms in the neonatal period. We present a case of a 5-day-old neonate with a marked interlabial swelling causing urinary retention...
- A normal ano-genital exam: sexual abuse or not?
Nationwide Children s Hospital, Center for Child and Family Advocacy, 655 E Livingston Ave, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
J Pediatr Health Care 24:145-51. 2010
..Photos will provide visualization of both normal variants of the pre-pubertal hymen and genitalia as well as changes that occur with puberty. Implications for practice for PNPs will be discussed.
- Levator plate angle in women with pelvic organ prolapse compared to women with normal support using dynamic MR imaging
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 194:1427-33. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to determine whether the levator plate is (1) horizontal in women with normal support, (2) different between women with and without prolapse, (3) related to levator hiatus and perineal body descent...
- [Requests for online consultations on the operative reconstruction of the hymen--data from the university hospital Zurich and the children's hospital Zurich]
Institut für Biomedizinische Ethik, Ethik Zentrum, Universitat Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 99:475-80. 2010
The "reconstruction of the hymen"consists in a surgical suture of the seam of a hymen that has been fissured due to vaginal intercourse or other causes...
- Surgical management of vaginal vault prolapse in a woman with a neovagina and pelvic kidneys
Tristi W Muir
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Obstet Gynecol 104:1199-201. 2004
..Mechanical dilation or surgical creation of a vagina allows for function but does not provide endopelvic fascial support of the vagina. Vaginal prolapse may occur...