Genomes and Genes
Summary: Small, sacculated organs found within the DERMIS. Each gland has a single duct that emerges from a cluster of oval alveoli. Each alveolus consists of a transparent BASEMENT MEMBRANE enclosing epithelial cells. The ducts from most sebaceous glands open into a HAIR FOLLICLE, but some open on the general surface of the SKIN. Sebaceous glands secrete SEBUM.
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- Hedgehog signaling regulates sebaceous gland developmentMary Allen
Department of Dermatology and Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0932, USA
Am J Pathol 163:2173-8. 2003..sebocyte development, Hedgehog pathway activation led to a striking increase both in size and number of sebaceous glands. Remarkably, ectopic Hedgehog signaling also triggered the formation of sebaceous glands from footpad ..
- Thematic review series: skin lipids. Sebaceous gland lipids: friend or foe?K R Smith
Jake Gittlen Cancer Research Foundation, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Lipid Res 49:271-81. 2008b>Sebaceous glands are intriguing glands that are found throughout the human body except on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet...
- TCF/Lef1 activity controls establishment of diverse stem and progenitor cell compartments in mouse epidermisMonika Petersson
Center for Molecular Medicine Cologne CMMC, Institute of Pathology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
EMBO J 30:3004-18. 2011Mammalian epidermis consists of the interfollicular epidermis, hair follicles (HFs) and associated sebaceous glands (SGs)...
- Scratching the surface of skin developmentElaine Fuchs
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, Box 300, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nature 445:834-42. 2007..to commit to a particular differentiation programme and generate a stratified epidermis, hair follicles or sebaceous glands. Exciting recent developments have focused on how adult skin epithelia maintain populations of stem cells for ..
- Essential role for Sonic hedgehog during hair follicle morphogenesisC Chiang
Laboratory of Mammalian Genes and Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, 20892, USA
Dev Biol 205:1-9. 1999..Our findings reveal an essential role for Shh during hair follicle morphogenesis, where it is required for normal advancement beyond the hair germ stage of development...
- Multiple classes of stem cells in cutaneous epithelium: a lineage analysis of adult mouse skinS Ghazizadeh
Department of Oral Biology and Pathology, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8702, USA
EMBO J 20:1215-22. 2001..In most instances, labeled cells were confined to one or more follicular compartments or solely to sebaceous glands. Labeled keratinocytes in interfollicular epidermis were confined to distinct columnar units representing ..
- Establishment and characterization of an immortalized human sebaceous gland cell line (SZ95)C C Zouboulis
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Benjamin Franklin, The Free University of Berlin, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 113:1011-20. 1999..Thus SZ95 is an immortalized human sebaceous gland cell line that shows the morphologic, phenotypic and functional characteristics of normal human sebocytes...
- Selective cultivation of normal human sebocytes in vitro; a simple modified technique for a better cell yieldM Badawy Abdel-Naser
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Ain Shams University Hospital, Cairo, Egypt
Exp Dermatol 13:562-6. 2004..To conclude, covering the sebaceous glands during the first 72 h of primary culture provides an excellent contact with the culture plate and hence a ..
- Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin mediates 13-cis retinoic acid-induced apoptosis of human sebaceous gland cellsAmanda M Nelson
Jake Gittlen Cancer Research Foundation
J Clin Invest 118:1468-78. 2008..It is known that the drug induces apoptosis in cells cultured from human sebaceous glands, but its mechanism of action has not been determined...
- Lgr6 marks stem cells in the hair follicle that generate all cell lineages of the skinHugo J Snippert
Hubrecht Institute KNAW Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences and University Medical Center Utrecht, Uppsalalaan 8, 3584 CT Utrecht, Netherlands
Science 327:1385-9. 2010..Adult Lgr6+ cells executed long-term wound repair, including the formation of new hair follicles. We conclude that Lgr6 marks the most primitive epidermal stem cell...
- 13-cis Retinoic acid induces apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in human SEB-1 sebocytesAmanda M Nelson
The Jake Gittlen Cancer Research Foundation, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, 17033, USA
J Invest Dermatol 126:2178-89. 2006..Taken together these data indicate that 13-cis RA causes cell cycle arrest and induces apoptosis in SEB-1 sebocytes by a RAR-independent mechanism, which contributes to its sebosuppressive effect and the resolution of acne...
- The contribution of the arrector pili muscle and sebaceous glands to the follicular unit structureEnrique Poblet
Department of Pathology, Hospital General Universitario de Albacete, Universidad Las Palmas Gran Canaria, Spain
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:217-22. 2004..The sebaceous glands and the arrector pili muscle, as part of the pilosebaceous unit, should be viewed as important parts of this ..
- Blimp1 defines a progenitor population that governs cellular input to the sebaceous glandValerie Horsley
Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cell 126:597-609. 2006....
- Abundant expression of neuronatin in normal eccrine, apocrine and sebaceous glands and their neoplasmsLong Dugu
J Dermatol 37:846-8. 2010
- Involvement of Propionibacterium acnes in the augmentation of lipogenesis in hamster sebaceous glands in vivo and in vitroKatsuhiro Iinuma
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 129:2113-9. 2009..acnes directly influences lipogenesis in sebaceous glands. In this study, we showed that a culture medium of P. acnes (acnes-CM) and formalin-killed P...
- [Sebaceous glands as transporters of vitamin E]S Ekanayake-Mudiyanselage
Northwestern University, Chicago, USA
Hautarzt 57:291-6. 2006Human sebum is produced by sebaceous glands and reaches the skin surface via secretion through the hair shaft...
- Expression of sex-determining genes in human sebaceous glands and their possible role in the pathogenesis of acneW Chen
Department of Dermatology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:846-52. 2006..Factors regulating cutaneous steroidogenesis associated with disease status remain largely unknown...
- Insights from the asebia mouse: a molecular sebaceous gland defect leading to cicatricial alopeciaK S Stenn
Juvenir Biosciences, Inc, Inc, Skillman, New Jersey 08558 9418, USA
J Cutan Pathol 28:445-7. 2001..In this paper the relevance of this mutant to human alopecias is discussed and the point emphasized that the pathogenesis of some forms of human cicatricial alopecia could involve the sebaceous gland...
- Frontiers in sebaceous gland biology and pathologyChristos C Zouboulis
Department of Dermatology, Dessau Medical Center, Dessau, Germany
Exp Dermatol 17:542-51. 2008..These multiple homeostatic functions award the sebaceous gland the role 'brain of the skin' and the most important cutaneous endocrine gland...
- Expression of lipogenic factors galectin-12, resistin, SREBP-1, and SCD in human sebaceous glands and cultured sebocytesWesley J Harrison
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
J Invest Dermatol 127:1309-17. 2007....
- "Sebocytes' makeup": novel mechanisms and concepts in the physiology of the human sebaceous glandsBalazs I Toth
Department of Physiology, Medical and Health Science Center, Research Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Debrecen, Hungary
Pflugers Arch 461:593-606. 2011....
- Modelling the remission of individual acne lesions in vitroM M T Downie
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital Box 232, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QR, U K
Br J Dermatol 147:869-78. 2002..We have previously described the cytokines that will promote in vitro the lesions of acne...
- Involvement of the SREBP pathway in the mode of action of androgens in sebaceous glands in vivoC Rosignoli
Galderma R and D, Sophia Antipolis Cedex, Valbonne, France INSERM U439 Pathologie Moléculaire des Récepteurs Nucléaires, Montpellier, France
Exp Dermatol 12:480-9. 2003..We demonstrated that the growth of sebaceous glands observed after androgen treatment was due to both an increase in sebocyte proliferation and a parallel ..
- Elevated levels of the endogenous retrovirus ERV3 in human sebaceous glandsA C Andersson
Department of Pathology, Uppsala University Hospital, Sweden
J Invest Dermatol 106:125-8. 1996..We found high levels expression of ERV3 env mRNA in human sebaceous glands in normal skin and dermoid cysts of the ovary...
- Selective photothermolysis of the sebaceous glands for acne treatmentJenifer R Lloyd
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine, Rootstown, Ohio 44272, USA
Lasers Surg Med 31:115-20. 2002The purpose of this study is to evaluate the efficacy of a long pulse diode laser (Cynosure, Inc.) to target and destroy enlarged sebaceous glands that are preloaded with Indocyanine green (ICG) chromophore.
- Ectopic sebaceous glandsAkiko Harada
Matsushita Health Care Center, Moriguchi, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 60:97. 2004
- Education and imaging. Gastrointestinal: ectopic sebaceous glands in the esophagusI F Wei
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:338. 2008
- Multiple tiny ectopic sebaceous glands discovered throughout entire esophageal tractWei Peng Wang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Madou Branch, Sinlau Hospital, 20 Lingtzulin, Madou Town, Tainan County 72152, Taiwan
Dig Dis Sci 54:2754-7. 2009..The patient's blood and serum findings were unremarkable. Our final diagnosis was multiple tiny ectopic sebaceous glands in the esophagus...
- Sebocytes express functional cathelicidin antimicrobial peptides and can act to kill propionibacterium acnesDong Youn Lee
J Invest Dermatol 128:1863-6. 2008
- More than one way to skin . . Elaine Fuchs
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Laboratory of Mammalian Cell Biology and Development, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10065, USA
Genes Dev 22:976-85. 2008..Understanding how these stem cells maintain normal homeostasis and wound repair in the skin is particularly important, as these mechanisms, when defective, lead to skin tissue diseases including cancers...
- Leptin modulates the effects of acyl CoA:diacylglycerol acyltransferase deficiency on murine fur and sebaceous glandsHubert C Chen
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, San Francisco, California 94141 9100, USA
J Clin Invest 109:175-81. 2002..Here we report the effects of DGAT1 deficiency on fur and sebaceous glands. Adult Dgat(-/-) mice had dry fur and hair loss, which were associated with atrophic sebaceous glands and fur ..
- Metabolic fate and selective utilization of major fatty acids in human sebaceous glandApostolos Pappas
Skin Biology TRC, Johnson and Johnson Consumer Companies Worldwide, Skillman, New Jersey, USA
J Invest Dermatol 118:164-71. 2002..polyunsaturated (18:2, Delta9,12) fatty acids was followed in biopsy punches from human facial skin rich in sebaceous glands. Acetate was incorporated into all of the cellular and secreted lipids and 16:0 was incorporated into all of ..
- C/EBPalpha and C/EBPbeta are required for Sebocyte differentiation and stratified squamous differentiation in adult mouse skinJohn S House
Cell Signaling and Cancer Group, Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9837. 2010..and C/EBPbeta are bZIP transcription factors that are highly expressed in the interfollicular epidermis and sebaceous glands of skin and yet germ line deletion of either family member alone has only mild or no effect on keratinocyte ..
- Sebaceous glands and the prostaglandin pathway--key stones of an exciting mosaicChristos C Zouboulis
Department of Dermatology, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 125:x-xi. 2005
- Glycerol regulates stratum corneum hydration in sebaceous gland deficient (asebia) miceJoachim W Fluhr
Dermatology Services, Veterans Administration Medical Center, and Department of Dermatology University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Invest Dermatol 120:728-37. 2003The only known function of human sebaceous glands is the provocation of acne...
- Human skin is a steroidogenic tissue: steroidogenic enzymes and cofactors are expressed in epidermis, normal sebocytes, and an immortalized sebocyte cell line (SEB-1)Diane Thiboutot
Department of Dermatology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Invest Dermatol 120:905-14. 2003..antibodies to the above proteins localized to epidermis, hair follicles, sebaceous ducts, and sebaceous glands in sections of facial skin. Results of immunohistochemistry were confirmed with Western blotting...
- Propionibacterium acnes and lipopolysaccharide induce the expression of antimicrobial peptides and proinflammatory cytokines/chemokines in human sebocytesIstvan Nagy
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, University of Szeged, Koranyi fasor 6, 6720 Szeged, Hungary
Microbes Infect 8:2195-205. 2006..acnes vary in their capacity to stimulate an inflammatory response within the pilosebaceous follicle...
- Targeted disruption of stearoyl-CoA desaturase1 gene in mice causes atrophy of sebaceous and meibomian glands and depletion of wax esters in the eyelidM Miyazaki
Departments of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 53706, USA
J Nutr 131:2260-8. 2001..These results reveal a physiologic role of SCD in cholesterol homeostasis as well as in the de novo biosynthesis of cholesterol esters, triglycerides and wax esters required for normal skin and eyelid function...
- Designer skin: lineage commitment in postnatal epidermisCatherin Niemann
Keratinocyte Laboratory, Cancer Research UK, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, WC2A 3PX, London, UK
Trends Cell Biol 12:185-92. 2002..cells that produce daughters that differentiate to form the interfollicular epidermis, hair follicles and sebaceous glands. Diffusible factors, cell-cell contact and extracellular matrix proteins are all important components of the ..
- Scd1 is expressed in sebaceous glands and is disrupted in the asebia mouseY Zheng
Nat Genet 23:268-70. 1999
- Scd3--a novel gene of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase family with restricted expression in skinY Zheng
Johnson and Johnson Skin Biology TRC, Grandview Road, Skillman, New Jersey 08558, USA
Genomics 71:182-91. 2001..Scd3 expression changes during the mouse hair cycle but not as dramatically as Scd1. The tissue-specific and sex-dependent expression of Scd3 suggests the presence of gene- and hormonal-specific control mechanisms...
- The melanocortin 5 receptor is expressed in human sebaceous glands and rat preputial cellsD Thiboutot
Section of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Invest Dermatol 115:614-9. 2000..Lipid metabolism in sebaceous glands and preputial glands of rodents is regulated by alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone, the major agonist for ..
- Thematic review series: skin lipids. Antimicrobial lipids at the skin surfaceDavid R Drake
Dows Institute, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
J Lipid Res 49:4-11. 2008..and are carried to the surface as cells differentiate, whereas others are secreted onto the surface from the sebaceous glands. One such group, free sphingoid bases, are known to have broad antimicrobial activity, and our previous ..
- Hedgehog signaling, keratin 6 induction, and sebaceous gland morphogenesis: implications for pachyonychia congenita and related conditionsLi Hong Gu
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Pathol 173:752-61. 2008..expressed Gli2, a Hedgehog (Hh) signal effector, to show that K6a expression correlates with duct fate in sebaceous glands (SGs)...
- Enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of leukotriene B4 and prostaglandin E2 are active in sebaceous glandsTheodosios Alestas
Department of Dermatology, Charite Universitaetsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Fabeckstrasse 60 62, 14195 Berlin, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 84:75-87. 2006..signalling pathways, of interleukins 6 and 8 and of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors in sebaceous glands of acne-involved facial skin was compared with those of non-involved skin of acne patients and of healthy ..
- Androgen metabolism in sebaceous glands from subjects with and without acneD Thiboutot
Section of Dermatology, Division of Internal Medicine, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey 17033, USA
Arch Dermatol 135:1041-5. 1999..in the activity of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase and 5alpha-reductase (responsible for the production of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone, respectively) in sebaceous glands obtained from men and women with and without acne.
- Beta-catenin and Hedgehog signal strength can specify number and location of hair follicles in adult epidermis without recruitment of bulge stem cellsVioleta Silva-Vargas
Keratinocyte Laboratory, Cancer Research UK London Research Institute, 44 Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, United Kingdom
Dev Cell 9:121-31. 2005..we show that short-term, low-level beta-catenin activation stimulates de novo hair follicle formation from sebaceous glands and interfollicular epidermis, while only sustained, high-level activation induces new follicles from ..
- Sexual hormones in human skinC C Zouboulis
Department of Dermatology, Dessau Medical Center, Dessau, Germany
Horm Metab Res 39:85-95. 2007..upon the expression of each of the androgen- and estrogen-synthesizing enzymes in each cell type, with sebaceous glands and sweat glands being the major contributors...
- Role for ELOVL3 and fatty acid chain length in development of hair and skin functionRolf Westerberg
The Wenner Gren Institute, The Arrhenius Laboratories F3, Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
J Biol Chem 279:5621-9. 2004..of very long chain fatty acids, revealed a distinct expression in the skin that was restricted to the sebaceous glands and the epithelial cells of the hair follicles...
- Inducible mEDA-A1 transgene mediates sebaceous gland hyperplasia and differential formation of two types of mouse hair folliclesChang Yi Cui
Laboratory of Genetics, National Institutes of Health National Institute on Aging, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Hum Mol Genet 12:2931-40. 2003..Marked hyperplasia resulted from expansion of the sebocyte-producing zone in sebaceous glands, with particularly high expression of the transgene and the replication marker PCNA, and correspondingly high ..
- Smad7-induced beta-catenin degradation alters epidermal appendage developmentGangwen Han
Department of Otolaryngology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, 97239, USA
Dev Cell 11:301-12. 2006..Coexpression of the Smurf2 and Smad7 transgenes exacerbated Smad7-induced abnormalities in hair follicles and sebaceous glands. Conversely, when endogenous Smad7 was knocked down, keratinocytes exhibited increased beta-catenin protein ..
- Neuropeptides and sebaceous glandsMasahiko Toyoda
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyoma 930 0194, Japan
Eur J Dermatol 12:422-7. 2002..We show morphological alterations of sebaceous glands elicited by SP and differences in expression of various neurogenic factors in association with sebaceous ..
- Gender differences and effects of sex steroids and dehydroepiandrosterone on androgen and oestrogen alpha receptors in mouse sebaceous glandsL Azzi
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, CHUL Research Center and Laval University, 2705 Laurier Boulevard, Quebec City, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
Br J Dermatol 154:21-7. 2006..It is generally believed that the sebaceous gland is an intracrine organ which synthesizes its own active hormones to meet its local needs...
- Identification of the delta-6 desaturase of human sebaceous glands: expression and enzyme activityLan Ge
The Skin Research Center of Johnson and Johnson, CPWW, Skillman, New Jersey, USA
J Invest Dermatol 120:707-14. 2003..This work identifies Delta-6 desaturase/FADS2 as the major fatty acid desaturase in human sebaceous glands and suggests that the environment of the sebaceous gland permits catalysis of the sebaceous-type reaction and ..
- Illuminating role of CYP1A1 in skin functionJo M Rowe
J Invest Dermatol 128:1866-8. 2008
- Regulation of human sebaceous glandsDiane Thiboutot
The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, The Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA, USA
J Invest Dermatol 123:1-12. 2004
- Why do we have apocrine and sebaceous glands?A M Porter
Redcrest, Health Rise, Camberley, Surrey GU15 2ER, UK
J R Soc Med 94:236-7. 2001..In colder conditions sebum changes its nature and repels rain from skin and hair...
- Effects of topically applied antiandrogenic compounds on sebaceous glands of hamster ears and flank organsH G Schröder
Research Laboratories of Schering AG, West Berlin, Federal Republic of Germany
J Invest Dermatol 92:769-73. 1989Growth of sebaceous glands in the ears and flank organs of castrated male hamsters is dependent on androgen substitution...
- Characterization of bipotential epidermal progenitors derived from human sebaceous gland: contrasting roles of c-Myc and beta-cateninCristina Lo Celso
Massachusetts General Hospital, Center for Regenerative Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Stem Cells 26:1241-52. 2008..Our studies provide evidence for a bipotential epidermal stem cell population in an in vitro model of human epidermal lineage selection and highlight the importance of Myc as a regulator of sebocyte differentiation...
- A distinct population of clonogenic and multipotent murine follicular keratinocytes residing in the upper isthmusUffe Birk Jensen
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
J Cell Sci 121:609-17. 2008..These cells are non-quiescent and possess a unique transcript profile compared with bulge stem cells and may represent a distinct reservoir of epidermal stem or progenitor cells...
- Propionibacterium acnes and sebaceous lipogenesis: a love-hate relationship?Christos C Zouboulis
Departments of Dermatology, Venereology, Allergology, and Immunology, Dessau Medical Center, Dessau, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 129:2093-6. 2009..acnes with sebaceous lipogenesis, inflammation, and innate immunity, and points out the concurrent evidence that P. acnes-induced lipids may represent a recruitment of allies and/or enemies of the human skin...
- Augmentation of lipogenesis by 15-deoxy-Delta12,14-prostaglandin J2 in hamster sebaceous glands: identification of cytochrome P-450-mediated 15-deoxy-Delta12,14-prostaglandin J2 productionChikakazu Iwata
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, Tokyo, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 125:865-72. 2005..Similarly, topical administration of indomethacin to hamster auricles caused the development of sebaceous glands with the augmentation of sebum deposition in vivo...
- Gender differences in mouse skin morphology and specific effects of sex steroids and dehydroepiandrosteroneLamia Azzi
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, CHUL Research Center and Laval University, Quebec City, QC, Canada
J Invest Dermatol 124:22-7. 2005..GDX triggers a rapid hair growth from telogen to anagen with a thicker hair shaft diameter in females. This data shows that DHT, E2, and DHEA exert specific effects on the different skin layers and appendages...
- Comedone formation: etiology, clinical presentation, and treatmentWilliam J Cunliffe
Skin Research Centre, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Clin Dermatol 22:367-74. 2004..The glass slide is gently removed, taking with it the upper part of the stratum corneum and microcomedones, which are then analyzed by low-power microscopy or digital image analysis.(1-3)..
- gamma-secretase functions through Notch signaling to maintain skin appendages but is not required for their patterning or initial morphogenesisYonghua Pan
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Division of Dermatology, Washington University School of Medicine, Box 8103, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Dev Cell 7:731-43. 2004..b>Sebaceous glands also fail to form in gamma-secretase-deficient mice...
- Phenotypical and molecular profiling of the extraneuronal cholinergic system of the skinHjalmar Kurzen
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Heidelberg, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 123:937-49. 2004..Taken together, our data result in a complete molecular map of the extraneuronal cholinergic system of the skin that may be translated into distinct functional reaction patterns...
- The dominant alopecia phenotypes Bareskin, Rex-denuded, and Reduced Coat 2 are caused by mutations in gasdermin 3F Runkel
Department of Anatomy, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat, Bonn, Germany
Genomics 84:824-35. 2004..We infer a role of Gsdm3 during the catagen to telogen transition at the end of hair follicle morphogenesis and the formation of hair follicle-associated sebaceous glands.
- Scanning electron microscopic features of the ovine interdigital sinusS Karahan
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Kirikkale University, 71451 Campus, Kirikkale, Turkey
Acta Vet Hung 55:417-24. 2007..The dermis contained common skin structures including sebaceous glands, hair follicles, arrector pili muscles and apocrine glands...
- The distributions of type IV collagen alpha chains in basement membranes of human epidermis and skin appendagesHaruko Hasegawa
Department of Human Morphology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 70:255-65. 2007..but no alpha3(IV)alpha4(IV)alpha5(IV); this held true for at the eccrine sweat glands and glandular ducts, sebaceous glands, hair follicles, and arrector muscles of hair...
- Expression of uncoupling proteins in human skin and skin-derived cellsShinobu Mori
Biological Science Laboratories, Kao Corporation, Tochigi, Japan
J Invest Dermatol 128:1894-900. 2008..localization of UCP1 was found in the granular layer of the epidermis, sweat glands, hair follicles, and sebaceous glands of various sites in the human body. UCP3 was widely found in the dermis...
- Chondroid syringoma. Cytokeratin 20 immunolocalization of Merkel cells and reappraisal of apocrine folliculo-sebaceous differentiationMohamed E Salama
Department of Pathology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Mich 48202, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:986-90. 2004..Chondroid syringoma (CS) is a benign cutaneous adnexal tumor with epithelial and stromal components. Epithelial components derived from folliculo-sebaceous-apocrine germ are evident in apocrine but not in eccrine CS...
- Pigmented hamartoma of the eyelid with apocrine, follicular and sebaceous differentiationAlan D Proia
Department of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Cutan Pathol 34:876-81. 2007..Adnexal tumors with divergent lines of differentiation are uncommon. Herein, I report a hamartoma of the eyelid with follicular, sebaceous and apocrine differentiation that exhibited prominent melanin pigmentation...
- Expression of the high-affinity laminin receptor (67 kDa) in normal human skin and appendagesS Cavalieri
Department of Dermatology, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 18:223-31. 2005..In sebaceous glands and in eccrine sweat glands the secreting epithelium was positive...
- The role of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2b in skin homeostasis and cancer developmentRichard Grose
Centre for Tumour Biology, Institute of Cancer, Bart s and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
EMBO J 26:1268-78. 2007..Thus we describe a novel role of Fgfr2b and provide the first evidence of a tyrosine kinase receptor playing a tumor suppressive role in the skin...
- Expression patterns of programmed cell death 4 protein in normal human skin and some representative skin lesionsSachiko Matsuhashi
Division of Hepatology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Saga Medical School, Saga University, Saga, Japan
Exp Dermatol 16:179-84. 2007..The cells of sebaceous glands and sweat glands also were PDCD4-positive...
- Investigation of the mechanism of action of nonablative pulsed-dye laser therapy in photorejuvenation and inflammatory acne vulgarisE D Seaton
Department of Dermatology, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College, London W12 0NN, UK
Br J Dermatol 155:748-55. 2006..The mechanism of nonablative lasers in inflammatory acne is variously suggested to be damage either to sebaceous glands or to Propionibacterium acnes. Their effects on cytokine production are unknown.
- Wnt signaling induces epithelial differentiation during cutaneous wound healingCarrie Fathke
Department of Surgery, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
BMC Cell Biol 7:4. 2006....
- [Histology of skin and hair follicle]Catherine Prost-Squarcioni
Laboratoire d histologie EA3410, UFR Leonard de Vinci, Bobigny, France
Med Sci (Paris) 22:131-7. 2006..An attempt has been made in this paper to precisely give the location of molecules that are relevant in basic skin functions and understanding of auto-immune and genetic diseases...
- Age-associated decrease of CD1d protein production in normal human skinM A Adly
Department of Zoology, Sohag Faculty of Science, South Valley University, Sohag, Egypt, and Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Faculty of Medicine, University Hospital of Hamburg Eppendorf, Germany
Br J Dermatol 155:186-91. 2006..CD1d belongs to a family of antigen-presenting molecules structurally related to the classical major histocompatibility complex class I proteins...
- Efficient differentiation into skin cells of bone marrow cells recovered in a pellet after density gradient fractionationReinhold J Medina
Department of Cell Biology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Int J Mol Med 17:721-7. 2006..These results indicate that density gradient fractionation results in significant loss of specific progenitor cells into the usually discarded pellet fraction...
- Extramammary Paget's disease--a proliferation of adnexal origin?S Regauer
Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
Histopathology 48:723-9. 2006..Cytokeratin (CK) 15 and CK19 are considered markers for follicular stem cells located in the hair follicle bulge region...
- Differential expression of fatty acid transport proteins in epidermis and skin appendagesMatthias Schmuth
Department of Dermatology, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
J Invest Dermatol 125:1174-81. 2005..adult skin, FATP1 and -3 are expressed predominantly by keratinocytes, whereas FATP4 is strongly expressed by sebaceous glands and FATP6 by hair follicle epithelia...
- Expression of CD1d in human scalp skin and hair follicles: hair cycle related alterationsM A Adly
Department of Zoology, Sohag Faculty of Science, South Valley University, Sohage, 44106 Egypt
J Clin Pathol 58:1278-82. 2005..CD1d is expressed by cells of lymphoid and myeloid origin, and by cells outside of the lymphoid and myeloid lineages, such as human keratinocytes of psoriatic skin...
- Distribution of cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1) and 2 (CB2) on sensory nerve fibers and adnexal structures in human skinSonja Ständer
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Munster, Germany
J Dermatol Sci 38:177-88. 2005..Cannabinoid receptors mediate the psychopharmacological action of marijuana and have been localized in the central and peripheral nervous system as well as on cells of the immune system...
- Characterization of liver X receptor expression and function in human skin and the pilosebaceous unitLouise E Russell
Centre for Cutaneous Research and Centre for Endocrinology, Bart s and the London Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary College, University of London, London, UK
Exp Dermatol 16:844-52. 2007..as within a range of primary and immortalized human cell lines derived from human skin, hair follicle and sebaceous glands. Furthermore, we have shown that synthetic LXR specific agonists GW683965 and TO901317 significantly inhibit ..
- Ectopic expression of c-Myc in the skin affects the hair growth cycle and causes an enlargement of the sebaceous glandJ J Bull
Centre for Cutaneous Research, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary College, London E1 2AT, UK
Br J Dermatol 152:1125-33. 2005..The oncoprotein c-Myc is a key regulator of these events in epidermal keratinocytes, but its importance in the hair growth cycle has not previously been determined...
- [Percutaneous absorption]C Lafforgue
Laboratoire dermopharmacologie et cosmétologie, Université Paris 11 Sud, Faculte de Pharmacie, 5, rue Jean Baptiste Clement, 92296 Chatenay Malabry Cedex
Ann Dermatol Venereol 134:2S18-23. 2007
- Peptidylarginine deiminase isoforms are differentially expressed in the anagen hair follicles and other human skin appendagesRachida Nachat
CNRS University of Toulouse III UMR 5165 Epidermis differentiation and rheumatoid autoimmunity, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 30 INSERM CNRS Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Toulouse Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse Cedex, France
J Invest Dermatol 125:34-41. 2005..anagen hair follicles, PAD1 and 2, in arrector pili muscles and sweat glands, whereas no PAD were detected in sebaceous glands. PAD1 was detected in the cuticle and the Huxley layer of the inner root sheath (IRS), and in the companion ..
- Disulphide reaction staining for the identification of integumental elastic fibresW Meyer
Anatomical Institute, University of Veterinary Medicine, Foundation, Bischofsholer Damm 15, 30173 Hannover, Germany
Arch Dermatol Res 297:177-9. 2005..the elastic components of the connective tissue sheath of hair follicles, apocrine tubular glands, and sebaceous glands, and of the connective tissue surrounding the cutaneous muscle...
- Patterns of nestin expression in human skinYun Wang
Department of Cell Biology, The Third Military Medical University, Chong Qing 400038, PR China
Cell Biol Int 30:144-8. 2006..The level of nestin mRNA transcription was much higher in the bulge region of the follicle than in the sebaceous gland. These results show that the pattern of nestin expression is related to the differentiation of epidermal stem cells...
- Fluorescent image analysis for evaluating the condition of facial sebaceous folliclesTaeyoon Son
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Yonsei University, Wonju, Korea
Skin Res Technol 14:201-7. 2008..In this study, we describe fluorescent image analysis methods for the detection of sebum and the color segmentation of sebum to evaluate the condition of sebaceous follicles...
- Immunoreactivity of corticotropin-releasing hormone, adrenocorticotropic hormone and alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone in alopecia areataHei Sung Kim
Department of Dermatology, St Mary s Hospital, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Exp Dermatol 15:515-22. 2006..01). The meaning of this enhanced expression and their role in the pathogenesis of AA should be further evaluated in future...
- Bone morphogenetic protein signaling regulates postnatal hair follicle differentiation and cyclingUdayan Guha
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Am J Pathol 165:729-40. 2004..BMPs likely promote a hair follicle-type differentiation pathway of keratinocytes while suppressing the sebaceous differentiation pathway of skin epithelium...
- Differentiating keratinocytes express a novel cytochrome P450 enzyme, CYP2B19, having arachidonate monooxygenase activityD S Keeney
Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 0146, USA
J Biol Chem 273:32071-9. 1998..CYP2B19 is also present postnatally in the differentiated keratinocytes of the epidermis, sebaceous glands, and hair follicles...
- The lysosomal protease cathepsin L is an important regulator of keratinocyte and melanocyte differentiation during hair follicle morphogenesis and cyclingDesmond J Tobin
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Bradford, Bradford, England
Am J Pathol 160:1807-21. 2002..Principal target tissues that may contain protein substrate(s) for this cysteine protease include the developing hair cone, inner root sheath, anchoring apparatus of the telogen club, and organelles of lysosomal origin (eg, melanosomes)...
- Quantitative research on skin pore widening using a stereoimage optical topometer and SebutapeHo Youn Jo
Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Kangwon National University, Kangwon, Korea
Skin Res Technol 13:162-8. 2007..In this study, bioengineering methods were applied to evaluate skin pore widening. The results from bioengineering measurements were compared with clinical visual assessment...
- Expression of melanocortin-1 receptor in normal, malformed and neoplastic skin glands and hair folliclesSonja Ständer
Department of Dermatology, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Cell Biology and Immunobiology of the Skin, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Exp Dermatol 11:42-51. 2002..In conclusion, preserved MC-1R expression in adnexal epithelia suggests a functional role of proopiomelanocortin (POMC) in various malformations and neoplasms of the skin...
- Skin of color: biology, structure, function, and implications for dermatologic diseaseSusan C Taylor
Skin of Color Center, Department of Dermatology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY 10025, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:S41-62. 2002..Cultural practices also can have a significant impact. Further studies are needed to help dermatologists optimally treat people with skin of color...
- In situ expression of corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) and proopiomelanocortin (POMC) genes in human skinM Kono
Department of Dermatology, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
FASEB J 15:2297-9. 2001..The skin may have "a local stress response system," whose activity is mediated by CRH and POMC peptides, in an equivalent to hypothalamus-pituitary adrenal axis...
- Pathogenesis of acneM Toyoda
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
Med Electron Microsc 34:29-40. 2001..The increased activity of sebaceous glands elicited by androgen causes proliferation of P...
- Expression of the apolipoprotein E gene in the skin is controlled by a unique downstream enhancerS Grehan
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, San Francisco, CA 94141, USA
J Invest Dermatol 116:77-84. 2001..The enhancer was used to construct a transgene expression vector that faithfully directed a heterologous cDNA to the normal sites of apolipoprotein E gene expression in epithelial cells of the skin...
- Inhibitors of 5alpha-reductase for acne therapyLingna Li; Fiscal Year: 2002..application are as follows: 1) Optimize efficacy of topical liposomal 4-MA to selectively induce apoptosis of sebaceous glands of male hamsters; 2) Determine pharmacokinetics of topical liposomal 4- MA to hair follicles of human scalp ..
- MC5 RECEPTOR--REGULATION OF EXOCRINE GLAND FUNCTIONROGER CONE; Fiscal Year: 2003..high levels of MC5-R in multiple exocrine tissues, including the Harderian, preputial, lacrimal, and sebaceous glands. The MC5-R is also required for the production of porphyrins by the Harderian gland, and regulation of ..
- HAIR FOLLICLE BULGE CELLS IN TUMORIGENESIS AND ALOPECIAGeorge Cotsarelis; Fiscal Year: 2009..cells have properties of stem cells, and isolated bulge cells can reconstitute hair follicles, epidermis and sebaceous glands. We have now identified a number of genes which we hypothesize maintain the stem cell phenotype...
- Hair Follicle Neogenesis in Response to WoundingGeorge Cotsarelis; Fiscal Year: 2009..area of hair follicle formation appeared normal without a scar and with the presence of new hair follicles, sebaceous glands and adipose tissue...
- Role of Cilia/IFT in Skin and HairBradley K Yoder; Fiscal Year: 2010..cells in the skin and hair follicle resulted in a very unexpected phenotype (hyperproliferation of skin and sebaceous glands, epidermal downgrowths into the dermis, and altered hair alignment), which is consistent with overactivation ..
- FREE PLASMA SEX HORMONE AND ANDROGEN ACTIONRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 1991..The hypothesis will be similarly tested that androgens similarly stimulate sebaceous glands through an indirect effect on the enveloping mesenchymal cells...
- Skin Stem Cells: Purification and CharacterizationElaine Fuchs; Fiscal Year: 2010..During injury, HF-SCs participate with basal IFE SCs to repair damaged epidermis and sebaceous glands. Both basal IFE SCs and HF-SCs can be cultured and propagated long-term outside their native niches under ..
- Skin Stem Cells: Purification and CharacterizationElaine Fuchs; Fiscal Year: 2009..During injury, HF-SCs participate with basal IFE SCs to repair damaged epidermis and sebaceous glands. Both basal IFE SCs and HF-SCs can be cultured and propagated long-term outside their native niches under ..
- Cellular Determinants of Ah Receptor SignalingThomas R Sutter; Fiscal Year: 2010..and hyperkeratinization of cells of the hair follicle, as well as a metaplastic response of the ductular sebaceous glands. How AHR-mediated changes in gene expression lead to toxicity is not well understood for any organ system ..
- Antimicrobial Lipids within the Oral CavityPHILIP WESLEY WERTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..and are carried to the surface as cells differentiate, while others are secreted onto the surface from sebaceous glands. Published reports and preliminary data indicate that free sphingoid bases have broad antimicrobial activity, ..
- The role of Wnt-4 signaling during cutaneous wound healingAnne Hocking; Fiscal Year: 2007..Healed skin lacks epidermal appendages such as hair follicles, sweat and sebaceous glands which can result in problems with thermal regulation and desiccation...
- Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin mediated retinoid effects in the skinKimberly Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..The overall goal of this investigation is to determine if the effects of 13-cis RA in inducing apoptosis in sebaceous glands is mediated by NGAL...
- MOLECULAR REGULATION OF HAIR FOLLICLE MORPHOGENESISAndrzej Dlugosz; Fiscal Year: 2004..a site of origin for several benign as well as malignant skin tumors; and it produces the hair shaft and sebaceous glands whose dysfunction forms the basis of a variety of dermatological disorders...
- HAIR FOLLICLE BULGE CELLS IN TUMORIGENESIS AND ALOPECIAGeorge Cotsarelis; Fiscal Year: 2007..cells have properties of stem cells, and isolated bulge cells can reconstitute hair follicles, epidermis and sebaceous glands. We have now identified a number of genes which we hypothesize maintain the stem cell phenotype...
- Hair Follicle Neogenesis in Response to WoundingGeorge Cotsarelis; Fiscal Year: 2007..including humans, have the capacity to regenerate epidermal adnexal structures, such as hair follicles and sebaceous glands, and that this regeneration can be enhanced or inhibited by manipulating pathways known to be important for ..
- Hair Follicle Neogenesis in Response to WoundingGeorge Cotsarelis; Fiscal Year: 2010..including humans, have the capacity to regenerate epidermal adnexal structures, such as hair follicles and sebaceous glands, and that this regeneration can be enhanced or inhibited by manipulating pathways known to be important for ..
- Molecular Regualtion of Hair Follicle MorphogenesisAndrzej Dlugosz; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have also found that the Hedgehog (Hh) pathway is involved in the formation of oil-producing sebaceous glands, and that focal activation of Hh signaling is sufficient to drive epithelial bud development, a process ..
- Cyclic and Progressive Hair Loss in rough coat MiceTongyu Cao; Fiscal Year: 2007..By contrast, the sebaceous glands in rc mice are hypertrophic due to sebocyte hyperplasia...
- FREE PLASMA SEX HORMONE AND ANDROGEN ACTIONRobert Rosenfield; Fiscal Year: 2001....