Genomes and Genes
Summary: A layer of epithelium that lines the heart, blood vessels (ENDOTHELIUM, VASCULAR), lymph vessels (ENDOTHELIUM, LYMPHATIC), and the serous cavities of the body.
Publications308 found, 100 shown here
- The endothelium: physiological functions and role in microcirculatory failure during severe sepsisH Ait-Oufella
INSERM U970, PAris Research Cardiovascular Center, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 36:1286-98. 2010The endothelium is a highly dynamic cell layer that is involved in a multitude of physiological functions, including the control of vascular tone, the movement of cells and nutrients, the maintenance of blood fluidity and the growth of ..
- MicroRNA-10a regulation of proinflammatory phenotype in athero-susceptible endothelium in vivo and in vitroYun Fang
Institute for Medicine and Engineering, Center for Bioinformatics, and Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13450-5. 2010..Comparative expression studies of endothelium located in athero-susceptible aortic arch and athero-protected descending thoracic aorta identified ..
- Fibroblasts in kidney fibrosis emerge via endothelial-to-mesenchymal transitionElisabeth M Zeisberg
Division of Matrix Biology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 19:2282-7. 2008..Collectively, our results demonstrate that EndMT contributes to the accumulation of activated fibroblasts and myofibroblasts in kidney fibrosis and suggest that targeting EndMT might have therapeutic potential...
- Inductive angiocrine signals from sinusoidal endothelium are required for liver regenerationBi Sen Ding
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Ansary Stem Cell Institute, and Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10065, USA
Nature 468:310-5. 2010..Therapeutic co-transplantation of inductive VEGFR2(+)Id1(+)Wnt2(+)HGF(+) LSECs with hepatocytes provides an effective strategy to achieve durable liver regeneration...
- Lymphatic reprogramming of blood vascular endothelium by Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirusYoung Kwon Hong
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Building 149, 13th Street, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Nat Genet 36:683-5. 2004Kaposi sarcoma is considered a neoplasm of lymphatic endothelium infected with Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus. It is characterized by the expression of lymphatic lineage-specific genes by Kaposi sarcoma tumor cells...
- Loss of caveolae, vascular dysfunction, and pulmonary defects in caveolin-1 gene-disrupted miceM Drab
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Pfotenhauer Strasse 108, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Science 293:2449-52. 2001..this organelle impaired nitric oxide and calcium signaling in the cardiovascular system, causing aberrations in endothelium-dependent relaxation, contractility, and maintenance of myogenic tone...
- Naphtho[1,2-d]thiazol-2-ylamine (SKA-31), a new activator of KCa2 and KCa3.1 potassium channels, potentiates the endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor response and lowers blood pressureAnanthakrishnan Sankaranarayanan
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Mol Pharmacol 75:281-95. 2009..1 channels in murine endothelial cells, and the more "drug-like" SKA-31 (half-life of 12 h) potentiated endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor-mediated dilations of carotid arteries from KCa3.1(+/+) mice but not from KCa3...
- Activated protein C mediates novel lung endothelial barrier enhancement: role of sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor transactivationJames H Finigan
Center for Translational Respiratory Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Biol Chem 280:17286-93. 2005..These data suggest that novel EPCR ligation and S1P1 transactivation results in EC cytoskeletal rearrangement and barrier protection, components potentially critical to the improved survival of APC-treated patients with severe sepsis...
- Human glomerular endothelium: interplay among glucose, free fatty acids, angiotensin II, and oxidative stressEdgar A Jaimes
Renal Division, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F125-32. 2010..These novel studies are the first in human GEC that characterize the differential role of FFA, hyperglycemia, and ANG II on the genesis of ROS, COX-2, and PGs and their interplay in the early stages of hyperglcyemia...
- Endothelial-specific expression of caveolin-1 impairs microvascular permeability and angiogenesisPhilip M Bauer
Department of Pharmacology and Vascular Cell Signaling and Therapeutics Program, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06536, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:204-9. 2005..First, increasing levels of Cav-1 do not increase caveolae number in the endothelium in vivo...
- Orientia tsutsugamushi in human scrub typhus eschars shows tropism for dendritic cells and monocytes rather than endotheliumDaniel H Paris
Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Programme, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1466. 2012..tsutsugamushi from the initial eschar site. This newly described cellular tropism for O. tsutsugamushi may influence its interaction with local host immune responses...
- Endothelial progenitor cell proliferation and differentiation is regulated by erythropoietinFerdinand H Bahlmann
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hanover Medical School, Hanover, Germany
Kidney Int 64:1648-52. 2003..We tested the hypothesis that darbepoetin alfa [i.e., a recombinant analogue of the cytokine erythropoietin (EPO)] stimulates proliferation and differentiation of EPCs...
- Endothelium-specific ablation of PDGFB leads to pericyte loss and glomerular, cardiac and placental abnormalitiesMattias Bjarnegard
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Goteborg University, PO Box 440, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Development 131:1847-57. 2004..The endothelium-restricted Pdgfb knockout mutants also developed organ defects including cardiac, placental and renal ..
- Human Barrett's adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, associated myofibroblasts, and endothelium can arise from bone marrow-derived cells after allogeneic stem cell transplantLloyd Hutchinson
Department of Pathology, UMass Memorial Health Care, Worcester, MA, USA
Stem Cells Dev 20:11-7. 2011..These findings demonstrate that BMDCs can generate cancer-associated fibroblasts as well as contribute directly to epithelial cells in cancer of the esophagus...
- Pulmonary endothelium in acute lung injury: from basic science to the critically illS E Orfanos
Department of Critical Care and Pulmonary Medicine, M Simou Laboratory, Medical School, University of Athens, Evangelismos Hospital, 45 47 Ipsilandou St, 10675, Athens, Greece
Intensive Care Med 30:1702-14. 2004Pulmonary endothelium is an active organ possessing numerous physiological, immunological, and metabolic functions...
- P-glycoprotein and breast cancer resistance protein restrict apical-to-basolateral permeability of human brain endothelium to amyloid-betaLeon M Tai
Department of Life Sciences, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:1079-83. 2009..Our in vitro data suggest that P-gp and BCRP might act to prevent the blood-borne Abeta 1-40 from entering the brain...
- PPARgamma in the endothelium regulates metabolic responses to high-fat diet in miceTakeshi Kanda
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 119:110-24. 2009..defined as abnormal vasoreactivity, is a common early finding in individuals with type 2 diabetes, the endothelium has not been known to regulate metabolism...
- Discovery of novel mechanosensitive genes in vivo using mouse carotid artery endothelium exposed to disturbed flowChih Wen Ni
Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Blood 116:e66-73. 2010..for protein, including LMO4, which showed higher expression in mouse aortic arch and in human coronary endothelium in an asymmetric pattern...
- Circulating endothelial cells in patients with septic shockM Mutunga
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Newcastle-upon-Tyne National Health Service Trust, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:195-200. 2001The vascular endothelium has a central role in the control of microvascular tone, and it has been proposed that vascular endothelial damage occurs in septic shock, producing multiorgan failure...
- Membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase is involved in migration of human monocytes and is regulated through their interaction with fibronectin or endotheliumSalomón Matías-Román
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Madrid, Spain
Blood 105:3956-64. 2005..In addition, monocyte transmigration through tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha)-activated endothelium is also inhibited by anti-MT1-MMP mAb...
- Coordinated RhoA signaling at the leading edge and uropod is required for T cell transendothelial migrationSarah J Heasman
Randall Division of Cell and Molecular Biophysics, King s College London, London, England, UK
J Cell Biol 190:553-63. 2010..Our data indicate that RhoA activity is dynamically regulated at the front and back of T cells to coordinate TEM...
- Resident endothelial precursors in muscle, adipose, and dermis contribute to postnatal vasculogenesisGuillaume Grenier
Sprott Centre for Stem Cell Research, Ottawa Health Research Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Stem Cells 25:3101-10. 2007..This finding is of particular interest since it could bring new insight in cancer angiogenesis and collateral blood vessels developed following ischemia. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- Platelet microparticles: a new player in malaria parasite cytoadherence to human brain endotheliumDorothee Faille
Department of Pathology, University of Sydney, 92 94 Parramatta Rd, Camperdown, NSW 2042, Australia
FASEB J 23:3449-58. 2009..PMPs thereby provide a novel target for antagonizing interactions between vascular cells that promote microvascular sludging and blood brain barrier alteration during CM...
- Occludin as a possible determinant of tight junction permeability in endothelial cellsT Hirase
Eisai London Research Laboratories Ltd, University College London, UK
J Cell Sci 110:1603-13. 1997..Our data indicate that regulation of occludin expression may be a crucial determinant of the tight junction permeability properties of endothelial cells in different tissues...
- Immunolocalization of von Willebrand protein in Weibel-Palade bodies of human endothelial cellsD D Wagner
J Cell Biol 95:355-60. 1982..These data suggest that the Weibel-Palade bodies of endothelial cells are storage and/or processing organelles for von Willebrand protein...
- A synthetic peptide vector system for optimal gene delivery to corneal endotheliumLouise Collins
Department of Clinical Sciences, Institute of Liver Studies, Guy s King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College Hospital, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9PJ, UK
J Gene Med 6:185-94. 2004..Efficient and non-toxic gene delivery, preferably with non-viral DNA vectors readily transferable to clinical practice, is generally regarded as a major limitation for gene therapy...
- Molecular signatures of disease brain endothelia provide new sites for CNS-directed enzyme therapyYong Hong Chen
Department of Internal Medicine, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Nat Med 15:1215-8. 2009..Peripheral injection of the epitope-modified AAVs expressing the enzymes lacking in LSD mice reconstituted enzyme activity throughout the brain and improved disease phenotypes in two distinct disease models...
- Calcium dobesilate potentiates endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor-mediated relaxation of human penile resistance arteriesJavier Angulo
Fundacion para la Investigacion y el Desarrollo en Andrologia, Spain
Br J Pharmacol 139:854-62. 20031 We have evaluated the participation of endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor (EDHF) in the endothelium-dependent relaxation of isolated human penile resistance arteries (HPRA) and human corpus cavernosum (HCC) strips...
- In vivo imaging of 64Cu-labeled polymer nanoparticles targeted to the lung endotheliumRaffaella Rossin
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Nucl Med 49:103-11. 2008..intercellular adhesion molecule 1 (ICAM-1) hold promise as a mean of delivering therapeutics to the pulmonary endothelium in patients with acute and chronic respiratory diseases...
- Nuclear interleukin-33 is generally expressed in resting endothelium but rapidly lost upon angiogenic or proinflammatory activationAxel M Küchler
Laboratory for Immunology and Immunopathology, Division of Pathology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Am J Pathol 173:1229-42. 2008..of vascular IL-33, a response consistent with both its rapid down-regulation in wound healing and loss in tumor endothelium. In conclusion, we speculate that the proposed transcriptional repressor function of IL-33 may be involved in ..
- Valproic acid blocks adhesion of renal cell carcinoma cells to endothelium and extracellular matrixJon Jones
Department of Urology and Pediatric Urology, Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 13:2342-52. 2009..VPA significantly and dose-dependently prevented tumour cell attachment to endothelium or matrix proteins, accompanied by elevated histones H3 and H4 acetylation...
- Non-nuclear estrogen receptor signaling in the endotheliumQian Wu
Division of Pulmonary and Vascular Biology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390, USA
J Biol Chem 286:14737-43. 2011..evidence continues to accumulate that they mediate non-nuclear processes in numerous cell types, including the endothelium, in which they activate endothelial NO synthase...
- Endothelium-coated tumor clusters are associated with poor prognosis and micrometastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma after resectionTong Ding
State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Cancer Center, Sun Yat Sen Zhongshan University, Guangzhou, China
Cancer 117:4878-89. 2011Distinct morphologic features of microvascular endothelium exist in tumor tissues. The objective of this study was to investigate the prognostic value of endothelium-coated tumor clusters (ECTCs) in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
- Role of protein tyrosine phosphatase SHP2 in barrier function of pulmonary endotheliumK L Grinnell
Vascular Research Laboratory, Providence VA Medical Center, 830 Chalkstone Ave, Providence, RI 02908, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 298:L361-70. 2010....
- Reexpression of caveolin-1 in endothelium rescues the vascular, cardiac, and pulmonary defects in global caveolin-1 knockout miceTakahisa Murata
Department of Pharmacology and Program in Vascular Cell Signaling and Therapeutics, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06511
J Exp Med 204:2373-82. 2007..These results provide clear physiological evidence supporting the important role of cell type-specific Cav-1 expression governing multiple phenotypes in the vasculature, heart, and lung...
- Stop the flow: a paradigm for cell signaling mediated by reactive oxygen species in the pulmonary endotheliumElizabeth A Browning
Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Annu Rev Physiol 74:403-24. 2012The lung endothelium is exposed to mechanical stimuli through shear stress arising from blood flow and responds to altered shear by activation of NADPH (NOX2) to generate reactive oxygen species (ROS)...
- Crosstalk between oligodendrocytes and cerebral endothelium contributes to vascular remodeling after white matter injuryLoc Duyen D Pham
Neuroprotection Research Laboratory, Departments of Radiology and Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Glia 60:875-81. 2012..In gray matter, a neurovascular niche promotes cortical recovery after brain injury. Our study suggests that an analogous oligovascular niche may mediate recovery in white matter...
- Tumor cytotoxicity by endothelial cells. Impairment of the mitochondrial system for glutathione uptake in mouse B16 melanoma cells that survive after in vitro interaction with the hepatic sinusoidal endotheliumAngel L Ortega
Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidad de Valencia, Spain
J Biol Chem 278:13888-97. 2003..GSH homeostasis was investigated in LD B16M cells that survive after adhesion to the hepatic sinusoidal endothelium (HSE)...
- Role of neuregulin-1/ErbB2 signaling in endothelium-cardiomyocyte cross-talkKatrien Lemmens
Department of Physiology, University of Antwerp, Antwerp 2020, Belgium
J Biol Chem 281:19469-77. 2006..extent ErbB2, the favored co-factor of ErbB4 for heterodimerization, participates in the cardiac effects of endothelium-derived NRG-1...
- Endothelium-specific GTP cyclohydrolase I overexpression accelerates refractory wound healing by suppressing oxidative stress in diabetesLu Tie
VA Vascular Surgery Research, Dept of Surgery, Univ of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2W109 151L U VAPHS, University Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15240, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E1423-9. 2009..Blood glucose levels were significantly increased in both male endothelium-specific GTPCH I transgenic mice (Tg-GCH; via a tie-2 promoter) and wild-type (WT) littermates 5 days after STZ ..
- Minireview: rapid actions of sex steroids in the endotheliumRenee W Y Chow
Heart Research Institute, 7 Eliza Street, Newtown, Sydney, New South Wales 2042, Australia
Endocrinology 151:2411-22. 2010The endothelium is a dynamic interface between the blood vessel and the circulating blood that plays a pivotal role in vascular homeostasis...
- Activation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase contributes to the endothelial dysfunction associated with hypertension and agingPal Pacher
Inotek Corporation, Suite 419E, 100 Cummings Center, Beverly, MA 01915, USA
Int J Mol Med 9:659-64. 2002..Thus, PARP activation contributes to the pathogenesis of endothelial dysfunction associated with hypertension and aging, but not in the current experimental model of atherosclerosis...
- Dkk-3 expression in the tumor endothelium: a novel prognostic marker of pancreatic adenocarcinomasDominic Fong
Department of Haematology and Oncology, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Cancer Sci 100:1414-20. 2009..Overexpression of Dkk-3 enhanced endothelial cell growth inhibition to chemotherapeutic drugs. Therefore, we suggest that Dkk-3 high microvessel density may help to select patients who may benefit from chemotherapy...
- CX(3)CR1 and vascular adhesion protein-1-dependent recruitment of CD16(+) monocytes across human liver sinusoidal endotheliumAlexander I Aspinall
The Liver Unit, University of Calgary Health Sciences Center, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hepatology 51:2030-9. 2010..Adhesion and transmigration across HSECs under flow was also dependent on vascular adhesion protein-1 (VAP-1) on the HSECs...
- Mammalian stanniocalcin-1 activates mitochondrial antioxidant pathways: new paradigms for regulation of macrophages and endotheliumDavid Sheikh-Hamad
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F248-54. 2010..Our data suggest that STC1 activates antioxidant pathways in endothelial cells and macrophages and displays cytoprotective and anti-inflammatory actions...
- Proangiogenic stimulation of bone marrow endothelium engages mTOR and is inhibited by simultaneous blockade of mTOR and NF-kappaBLara F Costa
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 107:285-92. 2006..The molecular mechanisms involved in the modulation and recruitment of BM endothelium are largely unknown and may provide novel therapeutic targets for neoplastic diseases...
- Leukocyte rolling and extravasation are severely compromised in P selectin-deficient miceT N Mayadas
New England Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts
Cell 74:541-54. 1993..These mutant mice should prove useful in deciphering the contributions of P selectin in various inflammatory responses as well as in platelet functions...
- Update on the glomerular filtration barrierGeorge Jarad
Renal Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 18:226-32. 2009..The glomerular capillary wall consists of three distinct but closely interacting layers: the fenestrated endothelium, with its glycocalyx; the podocytes, with their interdigitated foot processes and slit diaphragms; and the ..
- Endothelium-derived but not platelet-derived protein disulfide isomerase is required for thrombus formation in vivoReema Jasuja
Division of Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Blood 116:4665-74. 2010..These results indicate that, although both platelets and endothelial cells secrete PDI after laser-induced injury, PDI from endothelial cells is required for fibrin generation in vivo...
- Pathogenic mechanisms in rheumatic carditis: focus on valvular endotheliumS Roberts
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
J Infect Dis 183:507-11. 2001..At the valve surface, CD4(+) and CD8(+) T lymphocytes were adherent to valve endothelium and penetrated through the subendothelial layer...
- Nf1 has an essential role in endothelial cellsAaron D Gitler
Department of Medicine, Cardiology Division, University of Pennsylvania Health System, 954 BRB II III, 421 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Nat Genet 33:75-9. 2003..These results establish a new and essential role for Nf1 in endothelial cells and confirm the requirement for neurofibromin in the neural crest...
- Enhanced L1CAM expression on pancreatic tumor endothelium mediates selective tumor cell transmigrationYasmin Issa
Tumor Immunology Programme, D015, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 87:99-112. 2009..We observed that L1CAM expression was selectively enhanced on endothelium associated with pancreatic adenocarcinoma in situ and on cultured pancreatic tumor-derived endothelial cells in ..
- Migration across the sinusoidal endothelium regulates neutrophil mobilization in response to ELR + CXC chemokinesPeter C E Burdon
Leukocyte Biology Section, NHLI Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, South Kensington, London, UK
Br J Haematol 142:100-8. 2008..neutrophil migration from the haematopoietic compartment of the bone marrow across the bone marrow sinusoidal endothelium via a transcellular route...
- Adriamycin alters glomerular endothelium to induce proteinuriaMarie Jeansson
The Renal Center Wallenberg Laboratory, Institute of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:114-22. 2009..These data suggest that the glomerular endothelium may play a role in the pathogenesis of proteinuric renal diseases.
- The sialomucin CD34 is expressed on hematopoietic cells and blood vessels during murine developmentP E Young
Department of Immunology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080
Blood 85:96-105. 1995..We have recently shown that murine CD34 (mCD34) is expressed on the vascular endothelium in all organs and tissues of the adult mouse as well as on a small percentage of presumably hematopoietic stem ..
- Molecular cloning and characterization of endosialin, a C-type lectin-like cell surface receptor of tumor endotheliumS Christian
Department of Oncology Research and the Genomics Group, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma KG, 88397 Biberach an der Riss, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:7408-14. 2001..antibody FB5, is a highly restricted 165-kDa cell surface glycoprotein expressed by tumor blood vessel endothelium in a broad range of human cancers but not detected in blood vessels or other cell types in many normal tissues...
- A peptide inhibitor of vascular adhesion protein-1 (VAP-1) blocks leukocyte-endothelium interactions under shear stressGennady G Yegutkin
MediCity Research Laboratory, Tykistokatu 6A, 20520 Turku, Finland
Eur J Immunol 34:2276-85. 2004..Moreover, the inhibitory peptide diminishes leukocyte interactions with endothelial cells under conditions of shear, and thus it may be useful to treat inflammatory conditions...
- Improvement in endothelial function by angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitusG O'Driscoll
Department of Cardiology and Medicine, Royal Perth Hospital, Australia
J Clin Invest 100:678-84. 1997..blood flow measurement using strain gauge plethysmography during intraarterial infusion of incremental doses of endothelium-dependent (acetylcholine [ACh]) and endothelium-independent (sodium nitroprusside [SNP]) vasodilators...
- Lymphocyte arrest requires instantaneous induction of an extended LFA-1 conformation mediated by endothelium-bound chemokinesRevital Shamri
Department of Immunology, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Nat Immunol 6:497-506. 2005..In vitro flow chamber models showed that endothelium-presented but not soluble chemokines triggered instantaneous extension of bent LFA-1 in the absence of LFA-1 ..
- Mechanical interactions among cytoskeletal filamentsN Wang
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Hypertension 32:162-5. 1998..We conclude that higher order mechanical interactions of CSK filaments are important in determining the mechanical properties of the cell...
- Fibronectin binding proteins contribute to the adherence of Staphylococcus aureus to intact endothelium in vivoSylvain Kerdudou
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, University of Saarland Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Thromb Haemost 96:183-9. 2006..these results demonstrate that staphylococcal FnBPs significantly contribute to primary interaction with intact endothelium under physiologic conditions...
- Comparison of the effects of pentaerythritol tetranitrate and nitroglycerin on endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation in male volunteersTommaso Gori
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Am J Cardiol 91:1392-4. 2003
- Interactions of human prostatic epithelial cells with bone marrow endothelium: binding and invasionL J Scott
CRC Experimental Haematology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
Br J Cancer 84:1417-23. 2001..We have developed an in vitro system to study the binding of prostate epithelial cells to bone marrow endothelium (BME) and stroma (BMS)...
- Xenograft rejection: IgG1, complement and NK cells team up to activate and destroy the endotheliumRobert Rieben
Department of Clinical Research, University of Bern, Murtenstrasse 31, PO Box 33, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Trends Immunol 26:2-5. 2005....
- Scanning electron microscopy examination of endothelium morphology in human carotid plaquesTerenzio Congiu
Department of Human Morphology, University of Insubria, Varese, Italy
Micron 41:532-6. 2010..In the present study, by using SEM analysis, the morphological features of dysfunctional endothelium in human carotid plaques were extensively documented at the ultrastructural level...
- Potential role of nuclear factor κB in diabetic cardiomyopathyO Lorenzo
Vascular Pathology Laboratory, Instituto de Investigaciones Sanitarias IIS Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Av Reyes Catolicos 2, Madrid 28040, Spain
Mediators Inflamm 2011:652097. 2011....
- The Ape-1/Ref-1 redox antagonist E3330 inhibits the growth of tumor endothelium and endothelial progenitor cells: therapeutic implications in tumor angiogenesisGang Ming Zou
Department of Pathology, The Sol Goldman Pancreatic Cancer Research Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Cell Physiol 219:209-18. 2009..We explored the role of the Ape-1/Ref-1 redox domain in the maintenance of tumor-associated endothelium, and of endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs), which contribute to tumor angiogenesis...
- Systemic administration of lipopolysaccharide induces cyclooxygenase-2 immunoreactivity in endothelium and increases microglia in the mouse hippocampusDae Won Chung
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Veterinary Medicine and BK21 Program for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, 151 742, South Korea
Cell Mol Neurobiol 30:531-41. 2010..COX-2 immunoreactivity was significantly increased in the endothelium of blood vessels in the hippocampus 6 h after LPS treatment, judging from double immunofluorescence study with ..
- Ninjurin1 is expressed in myeloid cells and mediates endothelium adhesion in the brains of EAE ratsBum Ju Ahn
NeuroVascular Coordination Research Center, College of Pharmacy and Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 387:321-5. 2009....
- Treatment of experimental arthritis by targeting synovial endothelium with a neutralizing recombinant antibody to C5Paolo Macor
University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Arthritis Rheum 64:2559-67. 2012....
- Definitive human and mouse hematopoiesis originates from the embryonic endothelium: a new class of HSCs based on VE-cadherin expressionEstelle Oberlin
INSERM, U602, Villejuif, France
Int J Dev Biol 54:1165-73. 2010..Altogether our studies strongly suggest that at least a part of both the human and the murine hematopoietic systems arise from an endothelium-like ancestor.
- Cultivation in human serum reduces adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stromal cell adhesion to laminin and endothelium and reduces capillary entrapmentLena Dreher
German Red Cross Blood Service of Baden Württemberg Hessen, Medical Faculty Mannheim, Institute of Transfusion Medicine and Immunology, Heidelberg University, Mannheim, Germany
Stem Cells Dev 22:791-803. 2013..Appropriate injury models and further molecular analyses are required to provide mechanistic insight into the differential effects of HS versus FBS on ASC cultures...
- Protective effects of GLP-1 on glomerular endothelium and its inhibition by PKCβ activation in diabetesAkira Mima
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Diabetes 61:2967-79. 2012..PKCβ isoform activation induced by diabetes decreased GLP-1R expression and protective action on the renal endothelium by increasing its degradation via ubiquitination and enhancing phospho-c-Raf(Ser338) and Ang II activation of ..
- Use of the stromal cell-derived factor-1/CXCR4 pathway in prostate cancer metastasis to boneRussell S Taichman
Department of Periodontics, Prevention, and Geriatrics, and the Center for Biorestoration of Oral Health, School of Dentistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1078, USA
Cancer Res 62:1832-7. 2002..Collectively, these results suggest that prostate cancers and perhaps other neoplasms may use the SDF-1/CXCR4 pathway to spread to bone...
- Fetal endothelium dysfunction is associated with circulating maternal levels of sE-selectin, sVCAM1, and sFlt-1 during pre-eclampsiaCarlos J Veas
Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Concepcion, P O Box 237, Concepcion, Chile
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:1371-7. 2011..To evaluate the association between endothelial activation markers in the maternal circulation with nitric oxide (NO) synthesis in human umbilical endothelial cells...
- Hypoglycemic pharmacological treatment of type 2 diabetes: targeting the endotheliumDavid Nathanson
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Internal Medicine, Stockholm South Hospital, Sodersjukhuset, Ringvägen 52, SE 118 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Cell Endocrinol 297:112-26. 2009..Also, insulin resistance is not confined to skeletal muscle, adipose tissue and the liver, but also to the endothelium. Insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction co-exist, where chronic inflammation may be a crucial factor...
- Advanced glycation end products induce moesin phosphorylation in murine brain endotheliumQiaoqin Li
Department of Pathophysiology, Key Lab for Shock and Microcirculation Research, Southern Medical University, 1023 Shatai Road, Tonghe, Guangzhou 510515, PR China
Brain Res 1373:1-10. 2011..These results demonstrate that AGEs cause the phosphorylation of moesin in murine brain microvascular endothelial cells, with p38 and ROCK being involved in this process...
- Endothelium-induced proliferation and electrophysiological differentiation of human embryonic stem cell-derived neuronal precursorsBin Lai
Buck Institute for Age Research, Novato, CA 94945 0638, USA
Stem Cells Dev 17:565-72. 2008..These findings indicate that ECs can regulate the proliferation and electrophysiological neuronal differentiation of human NPCs...
- Expression of KCNA10, a voltage-gated K channel, in glomerular endothelium and at the apical membrane of the renal proximal tubuleXiaoqiang Yao
Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven VA Medical Center, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520 8029, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2831-9. 2002..Furthermore, its presence in endothelial and vascular smooth muscle cells supports the notion that it also regulates vascular tone...
- Intensive insulin treatment attenuates burn-initiated acute lung injury in rats: role of the protective endotheliumWan Fu Zhang
Department of Burns and Cutaneous Surgery, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, People s Republic of China
J Burn Care Res 32:e51-8. 2011..insulin treatment would attenuate burn-induced acute lung injury by protecting the pulmonary microvascular endothelium. The rat model of burn injury was achieved by exposure to 92°C water for 18 seconds...
- Response of mesenchymal stem cells to the biomechanical environment of the endothelium on a flexible tubular silicone substrateEoin D O'Cearbhaill
National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science, National University of Ireland, Galway, Galway, Ireland
Biomaterials 29:1610-9. 2008..However, gene expression results show the cells exhibit greater levels of SMC-associated markers alpha-smooth muscle actin and calponin (p<0.05)...
- Role of local production of endothelium-derived nitric oxide on cGMP signaling and S-nitrosylationJin Qian
Vascular Biology Center, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H112-8. 2010..We conclude that the greater functional effects of PM eNOS are due to the increased amount of NO produced rather than effects derived from the local synthesis of NO...
- Effect of antibodies on endotheliumX Zhang
Department of Pathology, UCLA Immunogenetics Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Transplant 9:2459-65. 2009Patients developing posttransplant antibodies against HLA and non-HLA antigens expressed by the endothelium of the graft undergo more frequent episodes of rejection and have decreased long-term graft survival...
- TRPing on the lung endothelium: calcium channels that regulate barrier functionDonna L Cioffi
Center for Lung Biology, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama 36688, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 11:765-76. 2009..Thus, phenotypic heterogeneity in ion channel expression and function exists within the lung endothelium, along the arterial-capillary-venous axis, and is coupled to discrete control of endothelial barrier function.
- Cell signaling directing the formation and function of hemogenic endothelium during murine embryogenesisLauren C Goldie
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Blood 112:3194-204. 2008..hematopoiesis, multilineage hematopoietic progenitors are thought to derive from a subset of vascular endothelium. Herein, we define the phenotype of such hemogenic endothelial cells and demonstrate, on a clonal level, that ..
- Stromal cells differentially regulate neutrophil and lymphocyte recruitment through the endotheliumHelen M McGettrick
Centre for Cardiovascular Sciences, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Medical School, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Immunology 131:357-70. 2010..transendothelial migration of neutrophils, but tended to increase the efficiency of migration away from the endothelium. Surprisingly, similar close contact between EC and fibroblasts strongly reduced lymphocyte migration in static ..
- Leukemia-stimulated bone marrow endothelium promotes leukemia cell survivalJ Pedro Veiga
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Exp Hematol 34:610-21. 2006..whether ALL cells induce this phenotype and whether they receive critical signals from the tumor-associated BM endothelium. Here, we show that leukemia cells actively stimulate BM endothelium, promote de novo angiogenesis, and induce ..
- Intracellular interaction of myosin light chain kinase with macrophage migration inhibition factor (MIF) in endotheliumRaj Wadgaonkar
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Cell Biochem 95:849-58. 2005..using GST-N-terminal MLCK (#1-923) and MLCK N-terminal deletion mutants in TNFalpha- and thrombin-stimulated endothelium. This EC MLCK-MIF interaction was shown biochemically and by immunofluorescent microscopy to be enhanced in ..
- The mechanisms of propofol-induced vascular relaxation and modulation by perivascular adipose tissue and endotheliumSaira I Kassam
Department of Anesthesia, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 112:1339-45. 2011..Perivascular adipose tissue (PVAT) and endothelium attenuate vascular contraction, and the function of PVAT is altered in hypertension and diabetes...
- ICAM-1 expression on endothelium and systemic cytokine production in cutaneous neutrophilic leukocytoclastic vasculitis in NZBxNZWF1 miceT Hayashi
Laboratory of Veterinary Pathology, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yoshida, Yamaguchi 753 8515, Japan
Histol Histopathol 20:45-52. 2005..study has examined relationship between cutaneous microvessel injury and adhesion molecule expression on the endothelium by cytokines in NZBxNZWF1 (B/WF1) mice, a model for human systemic lupus erythematosus...
- Membrane-initiated actions of estrogen on the endotheliumKyung Hee Kim
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine and Departments of Internal Medicine, Immunobiology and the Raymond and Beverly Sackler Foundation Cardiovascular Laboratory, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 308:3-8. 2009..In this review, we describe estrogen-induced, rapid, non-genomic actions in the endothelium.
- No detectable endothelial- or leukocyte-derived L-selectin ligand activity on the endothelium in inflamed cremaster muscle venulesEinar E Eriksson
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Leukoc Biol 84:93-103. 2008..Still, it is unknown whether PSGL-1 is deposited on the endothelium or whether leukocyte fragments or leukocytic uropods are presented on the venular surface...
- Potent antitumor effects of ZD6474 on neuroblastoma via dual targeting of tumor cells and tumor endotheliumPaul Beaudry
Department of Vascular Biology, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 7:418-24. 2008..We investigated the effect of dual targeting of tumor cells and tumor endothelium with ZD6474, a small-molecule tyrosine kinase inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptor 2,..
- Impaired cAMP and Rac 1 signaling contribute to TNF-alpha-induced endothelial barrier breakdown in microvascular endotheliumNicolas Schlegel
University of Wurzburg, Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Wurzburg, Germany
Microcirculation 16:521-33. 2009..In sepsis, tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) contributes to endothelial barrier breakdown. The involvement of Rho A/rho kinase signaling has recently been challenged. Here, we tested the role of cAMP and Rac 1 signaling...
- Endothelium-independent constriction of isolated, pressurized arterioles by Nomega-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester (L-NAME)T V Murphy
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Br J Pharmacol 151:602-9. 2007..The nature of the contractile effect of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor N(omega)-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester (L-NAME, 100 microM) on pressurised arterioles was investigated...
- New aspects of glomerular filtration barrier structure and function: five layers (at least) not threeAndrew H J Salmon
Microvascular Research Laboratories, Bristol Heart Institute, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, School of Veterinary Sciences, Southwell Street, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 18:197-205. 2009..We review recent work demonstrating the functional importance of two additional layers: the endothelial surface layer (ESL) and the subpodocyte space (SPS)...
- alpha4-Integrin(+) endothelium derived from primate embryonic stem cells generates primitive and definitive hematopoietic cellsGen Shinoda
Department of Pediatrics, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
Blood 109:2406-15. 2007....
- Enhanced thromboxane receptor-mediated responses and impaired endothelium-dependent relaxation in human corpus cavernosum from diabetic impotent men: role of protein kinase C activityJavier Angulo
Servicio de Histologia, Departamento de Investigacion, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Ctra Colmenar Viejo, Km 9 100, 28034 Madrid, Spain
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:783-9. 2006..Contractility responses to a prostanoid precursor, to prostanoids, and to the endothelium-dependent vasodilator acetylcholine were studied...
- Changes in cell surface primary cilia and microvilli concurrent with measurements of fluid flow across the rabbit corneal endothelium ex vivoM J Doughty
Department of Vision Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, UK
Tissue Cell 30:634-43. 1998Primary cilia and microvilli have been reported on the mammalian rabbit corneal endothelium but their relationship to cell function is undefined...
- Lymphoma endothelium preferentially expresses Tim-3 and facilitates the progression of lymphoma by mediating immune evasionXiaoyuan Huang
Cancer Biology Research Center, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Hubei, China
J Exp Med 207:505-20. 2010..We report a previously unrecognized mechanism by which lymphoma endothelium facilitates the growth and dissemination of lymphoma by interacting with circulated T cells and suppresses the ..
- Crossing the endothelium: E-selectin regulates tumor cell migration under flow conditionsJulia Woodward
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Cell Adh Migr 2:151-2. 2008Diapedesis is a vital part of tumor metastasis, whereby tumor cells attach to and cross the endothelium to enter the circulation. Specific adhesion molecules, expressed by both the tumor and endothelial cells, mediate this process...
- VASCULAR ENDOTHELIUM ABNORMALITIES IN HEART FAILUREStuart Katz; Fiscal Year: 1999..patients with congestive heart failure at rest and during exercise may be related to abnormalities in vascular endothelium function...
- Pancreas Cancer Specialized Program of Research Excelle*Anton Wellstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..findings that inhibition of the nuclear receptor coactivator AIB1 within pancreas cancer cells and adjacent endothelium may block signaling from multiple growth factors to enhance apoptosis...
- Genetic and Transcriptional Control of Spleen DevelopmentLicia Selleri; Fiscal Year: 2010..5 and Hox11 in the Lateral Plate Mesoderm (LPM). Additionally, we uncovered that Pbx1 is expressed in the endothelium of the developing spleen anlage...
- Tissue Factor, Flow, and Platelet Adhesion/Aggregation on Activated EndotheliumERIC FRANKLIN GRABOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010In vivo, platelet adhesion/aggregation on activated endothelium may proceed via upregulation of endothelial cell (EC) molecules adhesive for platelets, especially 1v23 (the vitronectin receptor), ICAM-1, P-selectin, and ultra large von ..
- ACUTE PULMONARY ARTERIAL RESPONSES TO HYPOXIAJ Sylvester; Fiscal Year: 1999..intrapulmonary arteries, severe hypoxia caused a triphasic response: (1) early transient contraction, which was endothelium-dependent and reduced by L-NAME; (2) relaxation, which was endothelium-independent, reduced by glibenclamide, ..
- The Role of Oxidative Stress in the Pathogenesis of Fuchs Endothelial Corneal DysUla V Jurkunas; Fiscal Year: 2010..There is mounting evidence that oxidative stress induces damage to corneal endothelium in FECD...
- CELL CYCLE OF THE CORNEAL ENDOTHELIUMNancy Joyce; Fiscal Year: 2000The endothelium is the monolayer of cells, located at the posterior of the cornea, which maintains corneal transparency...
- Mitochondrial Biogenesis and Endothelial Cell PhenotypeJohn F Keaney; Fiscal Year: 2010The endothelium is an important component of normal vascular homeostasis and endothelial dysfunction is a prelude to the development of vascular disease and its clinical manifestations such as heart attack and stroke...
- Targeting Inflammation to Improve Endothelial Function in Type 2 Diabetes: A SubsMark A Creager; Fiscal Year: 2010..Insulin resistance states, including type 2 diabetes mellitus, are associated with decreased bioavailability of endothelium-derived nitric oxide (NO) and impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilation, and impaired endothelial function ..
- HIV PROTEASE INHIBITORS EFFECT--NENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTIONChangyi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the applicant's abstract) 1). To define the role of HIV protease inhibitors in endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation and endothelial morphology...
- PROTEIN PHOSPHATASES IN ENDOTHELIAL CELL PERMEABILITYJOE GARCIA; Fiscal Year: 2001The vascular endothelium is a selective cellular barrier to circulatory proteins and is critical to vessel wall homeostasis...
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..and POAG eyes indicate that the bulk of outflow resistance occurs in the immediate vicinity of the inner wall endothelium of Schlemm's canal (SC)...
- Oxysterols, Estrogen, Receptors Anatgonism and Vascular DiseasePhilip Shaul; Fiscal Year: 2006..The OBJECTIVE of the proposed research is to determine if 27HC is an endogenous antagonist of ER action in endothelium, thereby diminishing estrogen-related cardiovascular protection...
- Nox4 and Vascular HomeostasisJohn F Keaney; Fiscal Year: 2010Under normal circumstances, the endothelium regulates vascular homeostasis via its influence on vasomotor tone, platelet function, leukocyte trafficking, vascular remodeling, and angiogenesis...
- Role of p38 MAPK in IL-4-induced IL-6 expression in vascular endotheliumYongwoo Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007Previous studies have suggested that interleukin-6 (IL-6)-induced pro-inflammatory environments in the vascular endothelium are critical for the initiation and development of atherosclerosis...