Genomes and Genes
Summary: A layer of epithelium that lines the heart, blood vessels (ENDOTHELIUM, VASCULAR), lymph vessels (ENDOTHELIUM, LYMPHATIC), and the serous cavities of the body.
Publications274 found, 100 shown here
- Lymphatic reprogramming of blood vascular endothelium by Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirusYoung-Kwon Hong
Cutaneous Biology Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Building 149, 13th Street, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Nat Genet 36:683-5. 2004Kaposi sarcoma is considered a neoplasm of lymphatic endothelium infected with Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus. It is characterized by the expression of lymphatic lineage-specific genes by Kaposi sarcoma tumor cells...
- P-glycoprotein and breast cancer resistance protein restrict apical-to-basolateral permeability of human brain endothelium to amyloid-betaLeon M Tai
Department of Life Sciences, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, UK
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:1079-83. 2009..Our in vitro data suggest that P-gp and BCRP might act to prevent the blood-borne Abeta 1-40 from entering the brain...
- Fibroblasts in kidney fibrosis emerge via endothelial-to-mesenchymal transitionElisabeth M Zeisberg
Division of Matrix Biology, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 19:2282-7. 2008..Collectively, our results demonstrate that EndMT contributes to the accumulation of activated fibroblasts and myofibroblasts in kidney fibrosis and suggest that targeting EndMT might have therapeutic potential...
- The endothelium: physiological functions and role in microcirculatory failure during severe sepsisH Ait-Oufella
INSERM U970, PAris Research Cardiovascular Center, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 36:1286-98. 2010The endothelium is a highly dynamic cell layer that is involved in a multitude of physiological functions, including the control of vascular tone, the movement of cells and nutrients, the maintenance of blood fluidity and the growth of ..
- Membrane type 1-matrix metalloproteinase is involved in migration of human monocytes and is regulated through their interaction with fibronectin or endotheliumSalomón Matías-Román
Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares, Madrid, Spain
Blood 105:3956-64. 2005..In addition, monocyte transmigration through tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha)-activated endothelium is also inhibited by anti-MT1-MMP mAb...
- Human Barrett's adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, associated myofibroblasts, and endothelium can arise from bone marrow-derived cells after allogeneic stem cell transplantLloyd Hutchinson
Department of Pathology, UMass Memorial Health Care, Worcester, MA, USA
Stem Cells Dev 20:11-7. 2011..These findings demonstrate that BMDCs can generate cancer-associated fibroblasts as well as contribute directly to epithelial cells in cancer of the esophagus...
- Reexpression of caveolin-1 in endothelium rescues the vascular, cardiac, and pulmonary defects in global caveolin-1 knockout miceTakahisa Murata
Department of Pharmacology and Program in Vascular Cell Signaling and Therapeutics, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06511
J Exp Med 204:2373-82. 2007..These results provide clear physiological evidence supporting the important role of cell type-specific Cav-1 expression governing multiple phenotypes in the vasculature, heart, and lung...
- Occludin as a possible determinant of tight junction permeability in endothelial cellsT Hirase
Eisai London Research Laboratories Ltd, University College London, UK
J Cell Sci 110:1603-13. 1997..Our data indicate that regulation of occludin expression may be a crucial determinant of the tight junction permeability properties of endothelial cells in different tissues...
- Minireview: rapid actions of sex steroids in the endotheliumRenee W Y Chow
Heart Research Institute, 7 Eliza Street, Newtown, Sydney, New South Wales 2042, Australia
Endocrinology 151:2411-22. 2010The endothelium is a dynamic interface between the blood vessel and the circulating blood that plays a pivotal role in vascular homeostasis...
- Mammalian stanniocalcin-1 activates mitochondrial antioxidant pathways: new paradigms for regulation of macrophages and endotheliumDavid Sheikh-Hamad
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F248-54. 2010..Our data suggest that STC1 activates antioxidant pathways in endothelial cells and macrophages and displays cytoprotective and anti-inflammatory actions...
- Platelet microparticles: a new player in malaria parasite cytoadherence to human brain endotheliumDorothee Faille
Department of Pathology, University of Sydney, 92 94 Parramatta Rd, Camperdown, NSW 2042, Australia
FASEB J 23:3449-58. 2009..PMPs thereby provide a novel target for antagonizing interactions between vascular cells that promote microvascular sludging and blood brain barrier alteration during CM...
- Dkk-3 expression in the tumor endothelium: a novel prognostic marker of pancreatic adenocarcinomasDominic Fong
Department of Haematology and Oncology, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Cancer Sci 100:1414-20. 2009..Overexpression of Dkk-3 enhanced endothelial cell growth inhibition to chemotherapeutic drugs. Therefore, we suggest that Dkk-3 high microvessel density may help to select patients who may benefit from chemotherapy...
- Naphtho[1,2-d]thiazol-2-ylamine (SKA-31), a new activator of KCa2 and KCa3.1 potassium channels, potentiates the endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor response and lowers blood pressureAnanthakrishnan Sankaranarayanan
Department of Pharmacology, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Mol Pharmacol 75:281-95. 2009..channels in murine endothelial cells, and the more "drug-like" SKA-31 (half-life of 12 h) potentiated endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor-mediated dilations of carotid arteries from KCa3.1(+/+) mice but not from KCa3...
- Endothelium-specific GTP cyclohydrolase I overexpression accelerates refractory wound healing by suppressing oxidative stress in diabetesLu Tie
VA Vascular Surgery Research, Dept of Surgery, Univ of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2W109 151L U VAPHS, University Dr, Pittsburgh, PA 15240, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E1423-9. 2009..Blood glucose levels were significantly increased in both male endothelium-specific GTPCH I transgenic mice (Tg-GCH; via a tie-2 promoter) and wild-type (WT) littermates 5 days after STZ ..
- Loss of caveolae, vascular dysfunction, and pulmonary defects in caveolin-1 gene-disrupted miceM Drab
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Pfotenhauer Strasse 108, D 01307 Dresden, Germany
Science 293:2449-52. 2001..this organelle impaired nitric oxide and calcium signaling in the cardiovascular system, causing aberrations in endothelium-dependent relaxation, contractility, and maintenance of myogenic tone...
- Activation of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase contributes to the endothelial dysfunction associated with hypertension and agingPal Pacher
Inotek Corporation, Suite 419E, 100 Cummings Center, Beverly, MA 01915, USA
Int J Mol Med 9:659-64. 2002..Thus, PARP activation contributes to the pathogenesis of endothelial dysfunction associated with hypertension and aging, but not in the current experimental model of atherosclerosis...
- CX(3)CR1 and vascular adhesion protein-1-dependent recruitment of CD16(+) monocytes across human liver sinusoidal endotheliumAlexander I Aspinall
The Liver Unit, University of Calgary Health Sciences Center, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hepatology 51:2030-9. 2010..Adhesion and transmigration across HSECs under flow was also dependent on vascular adhesion protein-1 (VAP-1) on the HSECs...
- Inductive angiocrine signals from sinusoidal endothelium are required for liver regenerationBi Sen Ding
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Ansary Stem Cell Institute, and Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, New York 10065, USA
Nature 468:310-5. 2010..Therapeutic co-transplantation of inductive VEGFR2(+)Id1(+)Wnt2(+)HGF(+) LSECs with hepatocytes provides an effective strategy to achieve durable liver regeneration...
- Discovery of novel mechanosensitive genes in vivo using mouse carotid artery endothelium exposed to disturbed flowChih Wen Ni
Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Blood 116:e66-73. 2010..for protein, including LMO4, which showed higher expression in mouse aortic arch and in human coronary endothelium in an asymmetric pattern...
- Update on the glomerular filtration barrierGeorge Jarad
Renal Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 18:226-32. 2009..The glomerular capillary wall consists of three distinct but closely interacting layers: the fenestrated endothelium, with its glycocalyx; the podocytes, with their interdigitated foot processes and slit diaphragms; and the ..
- Endothelium-derived but not platelet-derived protein disulfide isomerase is required for thrombus formation in vivoReema Jasuja
Division of Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Blood 116:4665-74. 2010..These results indicate that, although both platelets and endothelial cells secrete PDI after laser-induced injury, PDI from endothelial cells is required for fibrin generation in vivo...
- Proangiogenic stimulation of bone marrow endothelium engages mTOR and is inhibited by simultaneous blockade of mTOR and NF-kappaBLara F Costa
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 107:285-92. 2006..The molecular mechanisms involved in the modulation and recruitment of BM endothelium are largely unknown and may provide novel therapeutic targets for neoplastic diseases...
- Leukocyte rolling and extravasation are severely compromised in P selectin-deficient miceT N Mayadas
New England Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts
Cell 74:541-54. 1993..These mutant mice should prove useful in deciphering the contributions of P selectin in various inflammatory responses as well as in platelet functions...
- The sialomucin CD34 is expressed on hematopoietic cells and blood vessels during murine developmentP E Young
Department of Immunology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, CA 94080
Blood 85:96-105. 1995..We have recently shown that murine CD34 (mCD34) is expressed on the vascular endothelium in all organs and tissues of the adult mouse as well as on a small percentage of presumably hematopoietic stem ..
- Molecular cloning and characterization of endosialin, a C-type lectin-like cell surface receptor of tumor endotheliumS Christian
Department of Oncology Research and the Genomics Group, Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma KG, 88397 Biberach an der Riss, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:7408-14. 2001..antibody FB5, is a highly restricted 165-kDa cell surface glycoprotein expressed by tumor blood vessel endothelium in a broad range of human cancers but not detected in blood vessels or other cell types in many normal tissues...
- Interactions of human prostatic epithelial cells with bone marrow endothelium: binding and invasionL J Scott
CRC Experimental Haematology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
Br J Cancer 84:1417-23. 2001..We have developed an in vitro system to study the binding of prostate epithelial cells to bone marrow endothelium (BME) and stroma (BMS)...
- Migration across the sinusoidal endothelium regulates neutrophil mobilization in response to ELR + CXC chemokinesPeter C E Burdon
Leukocyte Biology Section, NHLI Division, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, South Kensington, London, UK
Br J Haematol 142:100-8. 2008..neutrophil migration from the haematopoietic compartment of the bone marrow across the bone marrow sinusoidal endothelium via a transcellular route...
- Comparison of the effects of pentaerythritol tetranitrate and nitroglycerin on endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation in male volunteersTommaso Gori
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Am J Cardiol 91:1392-4. 2003
- Endothelium-specific ablation of PDGFB leads to pericyte loss and glomerular, cardiac and placental abnormalitiesMattias Bjarnegard
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Goteborg University, PO Box 440, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Development 131:1847-57. 2004..The endothelium-restricted Pdgfb knockout mutants also developed organ defects including cardiac, placental and renal ..
- Enhanced L1CAM expression on pancreatic tumor endothelium mediates selective tumor cell transmigrationYasmin Issa
Tumor Immunology Programme, D015, German Cancer Research Center, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120, Heidelberg, Germany
J Mol Med (Berl) 87:99-112. 2009..We observed that L1CAM expression was selectively enhanced on endothelium associated with pancreatic adenocarcinoma in situ and on cultured pancreatic tumor-derived endothelial cells in ..
- Tumor cytotoxicity by endothelial cells. Impairment of the mitochondrial system for glutathione uptake in mouse B16 melanoma cells that survive after in vitro interaction with the hepatic sinusoidal endotheliumAngel L Ortega
Departamento de Fisiologia, Universidad de Valencia, Spain
J Biol Chem 278:13888-97. 2003..GSH homeostasis was investigated in LD B16M cells that survive after adhesion to the hepatic sinusoidal endothelium (HSE)...
- Use of the stromal cell-derived factor-1/CXCR4 pathway in prostate cancer metastasis to boneRussell S Taichman
Department of Periodontics, Prevention, and Geriatrics, and the Center for Biorestoration of Oral Health, School of Dentistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 1078, USA
Cancer Res 62:1832-7. 2002..Collectively, these results suggest that prostate cancers and perhaps other neoplasms may use the SDF-1/CXCR4 pathway to spread to bone...
- Response of mesenchymal stem cells to the biomechanical environment of the endothelium on a flexible tubular silicone substrateEoin D O'Cearbhaill
National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science, National University of Ireland, Galway, Galway, Ireland
Biomaterials 29:1610-9. 2008..However, gene expression results show the cells exhibit greater levels of SMC-associated markers alpha-smooth muscle actin and calponin (p<0.05)...
- Intensive insulin treatment attenuates burn-initiated acute lung injury in rats: role of the protective endotheliumWan Fu Zhang
Department of Burns and Cutaneous Surgery, Xijing Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi, People s Republic of China
J Burn Care Res 32:e51-8. 2011..insulin treatment would attenuate burn-induced acute lung injury by protecting the pulmonary microvascular endothelium. The rat model of burn injury was achieved by exposure to 92°C water for 18 seconds...
- Human glomerular endothelium: interplay among glucose, free fatty acids, angiotensin II, and oxidative stressEdgar A Jaimes
Renal Division, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 298:F125-32. 2010..These novel studies are the first in human GEC that characterize the differential role of FFA, hyperglycemia, and ANG II on the genesis of ROS, COX-2, and PGs and their interplay in the early stages of hyperglcyemia...
- Fetal endothelium dysfunction is associated with circulating maternal levels of sE-selectin, sVCAM1, and sFlt-1 during pre-eclampsiaCarlos J Veas
Department of Clinical Biochemistry and Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Concepcion, P O Box 237, Concepcion, Chile
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:1371-7. 2011..To evaluate the association between endothelial activation markers in the maternal circulation with nitric oxide (NO) synthesis in human umbilical endothelial cells...
- Endothelium-induced proliferation and electrophysiological differentiation of human embryonic stem cell-derived neuronal precursorsBin Lai
Buck Institute for Age Research, Novato, CA 94945 0638, USA
Stem Cells Dev 17:565-72. 2008..These findings indicate that ECs can regulate the proliferation and electrophysiological neuronal differentiation of human NPCs...
- Role of local production of endothelium-derived nitric oxide on cGMP signaling and S-nitrosylationJin Qian
Vascular Biology Center, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H112-8. 2010..We conclude that the greater functional effects of PM eNOS are due to the increased amount of NO produced rather than effects derived from the local synthesis of NO...
- Endothelial progenitor cell proliferation and differentiation is regulated by erythropoietinFerdinand H Bahlmann
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hanover Medical School, Hanover, Germany
Kidney Int 64:1648-52. 2003..We tested the hypothesis that darbepoetin alfa [i.e., a recombinant analogue of the cytokine erythropoietin (EPO)] stimulates proliferation and differentiation of EPCs...
- Hypoglycemic pharmacological treatment of type 2 diabetes: targeting the endotheliumDavid Nathanson
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Internal Medicine, Stockholm South Hospital, Sodersjukhuset, Ringvägen 52, SE 118 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Mol Cell Endocrinol 297:112-26. 2009..Also, insulin resistance is not confined to skeletal muscle, adipose tissue and the liver, but also to the endothelium. Insulin resistance and endothelial dysfunction co-exist, where chronic inflammation may be a crucial factor...
- TRPing on the lung endothelium: calcium channels that regulate barrier functionDonna L Cioffi
Center for Lung Biology, University of South Alabama, Mobile, Alabama 36688, USA
Antioxid Redox Signal 11:765-76. 2009..Thus, phenotypic heterogeneity in ion channel expression and function exists within the lung endothelium, along the arterial-capillary-venous axis, and is coupled to discrete control of endothelial barrier function.
- Expression of KCNA10, a voltage-gated K channel, in glomerular endothelium and at the apical membrane of the renal proximal tubuleXiaoqiang Yao
Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven VA Medical Center, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06520 8029, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2831-9. 2002..Furthermore, its presence in endothelial and vascular smooth muscle cells supports the notion that it also regulates vascular tone...
- Advanced glycation end products induce moesin phosphorylation in murine brain endotheliumQiaoqin Li
Department of Pathophysiology, Key Lab for Shock and Microcirculation Research, Southern Medical University, 1023 Shatai Road, Tonghe, Guangzhou 510515, PR China
Brain Res 1373:1-10. 2011..These results demonstrate that AGEs cause the phosphorylation of moesin in murine brain microvascular endothelial cells, with p38 and ROCK being involved in this process...
- Effect of antibodies on endotheliumX Zhang
Department of Pathology, UCLA Immunogenetics Center, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Transplant 9:2459-65. 2009Patients developing posttransplant antibodies against HLA and non-HLA antigens expressed by the endothelium of the graft undergo more frequent episodes of rejection and have decreased long-term graft survival...
- Enhanced thromboxane receptor-mediated responses and impaired endothelium-dependent relaxation in human corpus cavernosum from diabetic impotent men: role of protein kinase C activityJavier Angulo
Servicio de Histologia, Departamento de Investigacion, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Ctra Colmenar Viejo, Km 9 100, 28034 Madrid, Spain
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:783-9. 2006..Contractility responses to a prostanoid precursor, to prostanoids, and to the endothelium-dependent vasodilator acetylcholine were studied...
- Fibronectin binding proteins contribute to the adherence of Staphylococcus aureus to intact endothelium in vivoSylvain Kerdudou
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, University of Saarland Hospital, Homburg/Saar, Germany
Thromb Haemost 96:183-9. 2006..these results demonstrate that staphylococcal FnBPs significantly contribute to primary interaction with intact endothelium under physiologic conditions...
- alpha4-Integrin(+) endothelium derived from primate embryonic stem cells generates primitive and definitive hematopoietic cellsGen Shinoda
Department of Pediatrics, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Japan
Blood 109:2406-15. 2007....
- Cyclooxygenases-1 and -2 are differentially localized to microglia and endothelium in rat EAE and gliomaM H Deininger
Institute of Brain Research, University of Tuebingen, Medical School, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 95:202-8. 1999....
- A peptide inhibitor of vascular adhesion protein-1 (VAP-1) blocks leukocyte-endothelium interactions under shear stressGennady G Yegutkin
MediCity Research Laboratory, , 20520 Turku, Finland
Eur J Immunol 34:2276-85. 2004..Moreover, the inhibitory peptide diminishes leukocyte interactions with endothelial cells under conditions of shear, and thus it may be useful to treat inflammatory conditions...
- Role of neuregulin-1/ErbB2 signaling in endothelium-cardiomyocyte cross-talkKatrien Lemmens
Department of Physiology, University of Antwerp, Antwerp 2020, Belgium
J Biol Chem 281:19469-77. 2006..extent ErbB2, the favored co-factor of ErbB4 for heterodimerization, participates in the cardiac effects of endothelium-derived NRG-1...
- ICAM-1 expression on endothelium and systemic cytokine production in cutaneous neutrophilic leukocytoclastic vasculitis in NZBxNZWF1 miceT Hayashi
Laboratory of Veterinary Pathology, Faculty of Agriculture, Yamaguchi University, Yoshida, Yamaguchi 753 8515, Japan
Histol Histopathol 20:45-52. 2005..study has examined relationship between cutaneous microvessel injury and adhesion molecule expression on the endothelium by cytokines in NZBxNZWF1 (B/WF1) mice, a model for human systemic lupus erythematosus...
- Leukemia-stimulated bone marrow endothelium promotes leukemia cell survivalJ Pedro Veiga
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Exp Hematol 34:610-21. 2006..whether ALL cells induce this phenotype and whether they receive critical signals from the tumor-associated BM endothelium. Here, we show that leukemia cells actively stimulate BM endothelium, promote de novo angiogenesis, and induce ..
- Blood-forming endothelium in human ontogeny: lessons from in utero development and embryonic stem cell cultureElias T Zambidis
Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD, USA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 16:95-101. 2006..cells stringently sorted from human embryonic and fetal blood-forming tissues has demonstrated that primitive endothelium lies at the origin of incipient hematopoiesis...
- Intracellular interaction of myosin light chain kinase with macrophage migration inhibition factor (MIF) in endotheliumRaj Wadgaonkar
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Cell Biochem 95:849-58. 2005..using GST-N-terminal MLCK (#1-923) and MLCK N-terminal deletion mutants in TNFalpha- and thrombin-stimulated endothelium. This EC MLCK-MIF interaction was shown biochemically and by immunofluorescent microscopy to be enhanced in ..
- Changes in cell surface primary cilia and microvilli concurrent with measurements of fluid flow across the rabbit corneal endothelium ex vivoM J Doughty
Department of Vision Sciences, Glasgow Caledonian University, UK
Tissue Cell 30:634-43. 1998Primary cilia and microvilli have been reported on the mammalian rabbit corneal endothelium but their relationship to cell function is undefined...
- No detectable endothelial- or leukocyte-derived L-selectin ligand activity on the endothelium in inflamed cremaster muscle venulesEinar E Eriksson
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, S 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Leukoc Biol 84:93-103. 2008..Still, it is unknown whether PSGL-1 is deposited on the endothelium or whether leukocyte fragments or leukocytic uropods are presented on the venular surface...
- Membrane-initiated actions of estrogen on the endotheliumKyung Hee Kim
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine and Departments of Internal Medicine, Immunobiology and the Raymond and Beverly Sackler Foundation Cardiovascular Laboratory, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 308:3-8. 2009..In this review, we describe estrogen-induced, rapid, non-genomic actions in the endothelium.
- Potent antitumor effects of ZD6474 on neuroblastoma via dual targeting of tumor cells and tumor endotheliumPaul Beaudry
Department of Vascular Biology, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 7:418-24. 2008..We investigated the effect of dual targeting of tumor cells and tumor endothelium with ZD6474, a small-molecule tyrosine kinase inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) receptor 2,..
- New aspects of glomerular filtration barrier structure and function: five layers (at least) not threeAndrew H J Salmon
Microvascular Research Laboratories, Bristol Heart Institute, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, School of Veterinary Sciences, Southwell Street, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 18:197-205. 2009..We review recent work demonstrating the functional importance of two additional layers: the endothelial surface layer (ESL) and the subpodocyte space (SPS)...
- Crossing the endothelium: E-selectin regulates tumor cell migration under flow conditionsJulia Woodward
Academic Unit of Clinical Oncology, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Cell Adh Migr 2:151-2. 2008Diapedesis is a vital part of tumor metastasis, whereby tumor cells attach to and cross the endothelium to enter the circulation. Specific adhesion molecules, expressed by both the tumor and endothelial cells, mediate this process...
- Lymphoma endothelium preferentially expresses Tim-3 and facilitates the progression of lymphoma by mediating immune evasionXiaoyuan Huang
Cancer Biology Research Center, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Hubei, China
J Exp Med 207:505-20. 2010..We report a previously unrecognized mechanism by which lymphoma endothelium facilitates the growth and dissemination of lymphoma by interacting with circulated T cells and suppresses the ..
- Metalloproteinase mediated occludin cleavage in the cerebral microcapillary endothelium under pathological conditionsMira Lischper
Institute of Biochemistry, Westfaelische Wilhelms Universitaet Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Brain Res 1326:114-27. 2010..Thus, in our model occludin cleavage is not an autoregulatory mechanism of microcapillary endothelium in barrier modulation under oxidative stress, but only occurs upon endothelial damage.
- The mechanisms of propofol-induced vascular relaxation and modulation by perivascular adipose tissue and endotheliumSaira I Kassam
Department of Anesthesia, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Anesth Analg 112:1339-45. 2011..Perivascular adipose tissue (PVAT) and endothelium attenuate vascular contraction, and the function of PVAT is altered in hypertension and diabetes...
- Impaired cAMP and Rac 1 signaling contribute to TNF-alpha-induced endothelial barrier breakdown in microvascular endotheliumNicolas Schlegel
University of Wurzburg, Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Wurzburg, Germany
Microcirculation 16:521-33. 2009..In sepsis, tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) contributes to endothelial barrier breakdown. The involvement of Rho A/rho kinase signaling has recently been challenged. Here, we tested the role of cAMP and Rac 1 signaling...
- MicroRNA-10a regulation of proinflammatory phenotype in athero-susceptible endothelium in vivo and in vitroYun Fang
Institute for Medicine and Engineering, Center for Bioinformatics, and Department of Genetics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:13450-5. 2010..Comparative expression studies of endothelium located in athero-susceptible aortic arch and athero-protected descending thoracic aorta identified ..
- Endothelium-independent constriction of isolated, pressurized arterioles by Nomega-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester (L-NAME)T V Murphy
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Br J Pharmacol 151:602-9. 2007..The nature of the contractile effect of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor N(omega)-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester (L-NAME, 100 microM) on pressurised arterioles was investigated...
- Cell signaling directing the formation and function of hemogenic endothelium during murine embryogenesisLauren C Goldie
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Blood 112:3194-204. 2008..hematopoiesis, multilineage hematopoietic progenitors are thought to derive from a subset of vascular endothelium. Herein, we define the phenotype of such hemogenic endothelial cells and demonstrate, on a clonal level, that ..
- Stromal cells differentially regulate neutrophil and lymphocyte recruitment through the endotheliumHelen M McGettrick
Centre for Cardiovascular Sciences, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Medical School, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
Immunology 131:357-70. 2010..transendothelial migration of neutrophils, but tended to increase the efficiency of migration away from the endothelium. Surprisingly, similar close contact between EC and fibroblasts strongly reduced lymphocyte migration in static ..
- Cloning of the mouse endothelial selectins. Expression of both E- and P-selectin is inducible by tumor necrosis factor alphaA Weller
Hans Spemann Laboratory, Max Planck Institut fur Immunbiologie, Freiburg, Germany
J Biol Chem 267:15176-83. 1992..While the transport of stored P-selectin to the cell surface is controlled by regulated secretion of storage granules, the synthesis and surface expression can be induced by TNF-alpha similarly to that of E-selectin...
- Genetically tagging endothelial cells in vivo: bone marrow-derived cells do not contribute to tumor endotheliumJoachim R Gothert
Division of Cancer Biology, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Centre for Child Health Research and Western Australian Institute for Medical Research, University of Western Australia, West Perth, Australia
Blood 104:1769-77. 2004..However, it remains controversial as to whether tumor endothelium itself is BM derived...
- Nuclear interleukin-33 is generally expressed in resting endothelium but rapidly lost upon angiogenic or proinflammatory activationAxel M Küchler
Laboratory for Immunology and Immunopathology, Division of Pathology, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Am J Pathol 173:1229-42. 2008..of vascular IL-33, a response consistent with both its rapid down-regulation in wound healing and loss in tumor endothelium. In conclusion, we speculate that the proposed transcriptional repressor function of IL-33 may be involved in ..
- Pregnancy influence on the vascular interactions between nitric oxide and other endothelium-derived mediators in rat kidneyRosa A Bobadilla
Departamento de Fisiologia y Farmacologia, Escuela Superior de Medicina del IPN, Plan de San Luis y Diaz Miron, Casco de Santo Tomas, 11340 México D F
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 81:1-8. 2003..This has been mainly attributed to an increased production of endothelium-derived mediators...
- Endothelium dysfunction markers in patients with diabetic retinopathyKrzysztof Siemianowicz
Department of Biochemistry, Silesian Medical Academy, 40 752 Katowice, Poland
Int J Mol Med 15:459-62. 2005Diabetes mellitus leads to endothelium dysfunction and an accelerated progression of atherosclerosis...
- Systemic administration of lipopolysaccharide induces cyclooxygenase-2 immunoreactivity in endothelium and increases microglia in the mouse hippocampusDae Won Chung
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, College of Veterinary Medicine and BK21 Program for Veterinary Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, 151 742, South Korea
Cell Mol Neurobiol 30:531-41. 2010..COX-2 immunoreactivity was significantly increased in the endothelium of blood vessels in the hippocampus 6 h after LPS treatment, judging from double immunofluorescence study with ..
- Procyanidins from grape seeds protect endothelial cells from peroxynitrite damage and enhance endothelium-dependent relaxation in human artery: new evidences for cardio-protectionGiancarlo Aldini
Istituto Chimico Farmaceutico Tossicologico, University of Milan, Viale Abruzzi 42 20131 Milan, Italy
Life Sci 73:2883-98. 2003..Procyanidins dose-dependently relaxed human internal mammary aortic (IMA) rings (with intact endothelium) pre-contracted with norepinephrine (NE), showing a maximal vasorelaxant effect (85 +/- 9%) at 50 microM (..
- Endothelial progenitor cells: isolation and characterizationMihail Hristov
Institut für Prophylaxe und Epidemiologie der Kreislaufkrankheiten, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Pettenkoferstrasse 9, 80336 Munich, Germany
Trends Cardiovasc Med 13:201-6. 2003....
- Regulation of fibroblast growth factor-2 activity by human ovarian cancer tumor endotheliumMelissa K Whitworth
Cancer Research UK Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital and Paterson Institute, Manchester, United Kingdom
Clin Cancer Res 11:4282-8. 2005..In situ hybridization revealed the expression of FGFR1 mRNA in the endothelium and reverse transcription-PCR confirmed the presence of FGFR1 isoform IIIc but not isoform IIIb...
- Enhanced T cell transmigration across the murine liver sinusoidal endothelium is mediated by transcytosis and surface presentation of chemokinesArnhild Schrage
Medizinische Klinik I, Campus Charité Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Hepatology 48:1262-72. 2008Transmigration through the liver endothelium is a prerequisite for the homeostatic balance of intrahepatic T cells and a key regulator of inflammatory processes within the liver...
- IFN-gamma alters the response of Borrelia burgdorferi-activated endothelium to favor chronic inflammationTarah M Dame
Graduate Program in Genetics, Center for Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, Stone Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794, USA
J Immunol 178:1172-9. 2007Borrelia burgdorferi, the agent of Lyme disease, promotes proinflammatory changes in the endothelium that lead to the recruitment of leukocytes...
- Lack of endothelial cell apoptosis in the dermis of tight skin 1 and tight skin 2 miceR Sgonc
University of Innsbruck, Austria
Arthritis Rheum 42:581-4. 1999
- Distinct 5' SCL enhancers direct transcription to developing brain, spinal cord, and endothelium: neural expression is mediated by GATA factor binding sitesA M Sinclair
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, MRC Centre, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH, United Kingdom
Dev Biol 209:128-42. 1999The SCL gene encodes a basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor with a pivotal role in the development of endothelium and of all hematopoietic lineages...
- Contribution of the endothelium to the glomerular permselectivity barrier in health and diseaseBarbara J Ballermann
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Nephron Physiol 106:p19-25. 2007The endothelium that lines glomerular capillaries shares many properties with endothelial cells in general, but unlike most endothelial cells, it is extremely flat and densely perforated by transendothelial cell pores, the fenestrae...
- Leukocyte-endothelium interactions after hemorrhagic shock/reperfusion and cecal ligation/puncture: an intravital microscopic study in rat mesenteryNaomi Kondo Nakagawa
Research Division, Heart Institute InCor, LIM 11, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Shock 26:180-6. 2006..HS/R and cecal ligation and puncture, followed by necrotic cecal resection/peritoneal lavage (REL) on leukocyte-endothelium interactions at the mesentery...
- Expression of DC-SIGN and DC-SIGNR on human sinusoidal endothelium: a role for capturing hepatitis C virus particlesWai K Lai
Liver Research Laboratories, Institute of Biomedical Research, Birmingham University, Edgbaston, B15 2TH, United Kingdom
Am J Pathol 169:200-8. 2006..These data support a model where DC-SIGN and DC-SIGNR on sinusoidal endothelium provide a mechanism for high affinity binding of circulating HCV within the liver sinusoids allowing subsequent ..
- Cyclooxygenases regulation by estradiol on endotheliumC Hermenegildo
Research Unit, Hospital Clinico Universitario of Valencia, Spain
Curr Pharm Des 12:205-15. 2006..An example of these is raloxifene. Clinical and experimental data support the consideration of endothelium as a target for estradiol and other sexual hormones...
- Persistent accumulation of cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) expressing microglia/macrophages and upregulation by endothelium following spinal cord injuryJ M Schwab
Institute of Brain Research, University of Tuebingen, Medical School, Calwer Strasse 3, D 72076, Tuebingen, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 111:122-30. 2000..Therefore, we suggest that approaches based on: (i) short-term; and (ii) selective COX-2 blocking alone might not be a sufficient tool to suppress the local synthesis of prostanoids...
- Biomedical aspects of targeted delivery of drugs to pulmonary endotheliumVladimir R Muzykantov
University of Pennsylvania, Institute for Environmental Medicine and Department of Pharmacology, Philadelphia, 19104 6068, USA
Expert Opin Drug Deliv 2:909-26. 2005Drug targeting to selected subcellular compartments of the pulmonary endothelium may optimise treatment of many diseases...
- Therapeutic effects of viral vector-mediated antiangiogenic gene transfer in malignant ascitesM Hampl
Neuro-Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institute of Neurologic Disorder and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Hum Gene Ther 12:1713-29. 2001..These data suggest that adenoviral vector-mediated delivery of genes encoding antiangiogenic proteins may represent a potentially new treatment modality for malignant ascites...
- 15-epi-lipoxin A4-mediated induction of nitric oxide explains how aspirin inhibits acute inflammationMark J Paul-Clark
Department of Biochemical Pharmacology, William Harvey Research Institute, St. Bartholomew's Hospital and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Charterhouse Sq, London EC1M 6BQ, England, UK
J Exp Med 200:69-78. 2004..This aspirin-elicited NO exerts antiinflammatory effects in the microcirculation by inhibiting leukocyte-endothelium interactions.
- Crucial role of the protein C pathway in governing microvascular inflammation in inflammatory bowel diseaseFranco Scaldaferri
Division of Gastroenterology, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano, Italy
J Clin Invest 117:1951-60. 2007..Restoring the PC pathway may represent a new therapeutic approach to suppress intestinal inflammation in IBD...
- Activation of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/protein kinase Akt pathway mediates nitric oxide-induced endothelial cell migration and angiogenesisKoh Kawasaki
Vascular Medicine Research Unit, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Cell Biol 23:5726-37. 2003..These findings indicate that NO promotes endothelial cell migration and neovascularization via cGMP-dependent activation of PI3 kinase and suggest that this pathway is important in mediating NO-induced angiogenesis...
- Endothelial determinants of dendritic cell adhesion and migration: new implications for vascular diseasesMichael Weis
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:1817-23. 2002..A fundamental aspect of DC function is their capacity to adhere and migrate through vascular endothelial cells (ECs). We investigated the role of endothelial activation and dysregulation of the NO pathway on DC adhesion and migration...
- Cell adhesion and migration properties of beta 2-integrin negative polymorphonuclear granulocytes on defined extracellular matrix molecules. Relevance for leukocyte extravasationM Sixt
Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research and the Institute for Experimental Medicine, Nikolaus Fiebiger Center, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Biol Chem 276:18878-87. 2001..Although beta(2)-integrins play an indisputable role in adhesion of polymorphonuclear granulocytes (PMN) to endothelium, we show here that beta(1)- and beta(3)-integrins but not beta(2)-integrin are essential for the adhesion to ..
- Mechanical strain differentially regulates endothelial nitric-oxide synthase and receptor activator of nuclear kappa B ligand expression via ERK1/2 MAPKJanet Rubin
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30033, USA
J Biol Chem 278:34018-25. 2003..Our data suggest that physiologic levels of mechanical strain utilize ERK1/2 kinase to coordinately regulate eNOS and RANKL in a manner leading to positive bone remodeling...
- Induction of cyclooxygenase-2 by heat shock protein 60 in macrophages and endothelial cellsBlase Billack
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 283:C1267-77. 2002..These data indicate that both ERK1/2 kinase and p38 kinase play a role in regulating HSP60-induced expression of COX-2...
- A blocking antibody to the hyaluronan receptor for endocytosis (HARE) inhibits hyaluronan clearance by perfused liverJanet A Weigel
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and the Oklahoma Center for Medical Glycobiology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73190, USA
J Biol Chem 278:9808-12. 2003..The results indicate that mAb-174 will be a useful tool to study the functions of HARE and the physiological significance of HA clearance...
- Nitric oxide induces polarization of actin in encephalitogenic T cells and inhibits their in vitro trans-endothelial migration in a p70S6 kinase-independent mannerMaria A Staykova
Neurosciences Research Unit, The Canberra Hospital, Australia
FASEB J 17:1337-9. 2003..We suggest that NO-induced morphological changes result in T cells with predefined migratory directionality, thus limiting the ability of these cells to respond to other migratory signals...
- Anti-tumor angiogenic effect of a matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor MMI270Eliane Shizuka Nakamura
Department of Pathogenic Biochemistry, Institute of Natural Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
Anticancer Res 23:411-7. 2003..These results suggest that MMI270 might be useful as an anti-tumor angiogenic drug...
- Thalidomide impairment of trinitrobenzene sulphonic acid-induced colitis in the rat - role of endothelial cell-leukocyte interactionB Lienenlüke
Department of Cardiovascular Physiology, University of Goettingen, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 133:1414-23. 2001....
- Nitric oxide-dependent cytoskeletal changes and inhibition of endothelial cell migration contribute to the suppression of angiogenesis by RAD50 gene transferHyun Kook
Research Institute of Medical Sciences and Medical Research Center for Gene Regulation, Chonnam National University Medical School, Kwangju, South Korea
FEBS Lett 553:56-62. 2003..hRAD50 also inhibited EC migration in an in vitro wound-healing model. These results indicate that NO-dependent cytoskeletal changes and inhibition of EC migration contribute to the suppression of angiogenesis by hRAD50 delivery in vivo...
- ANGPTL3 stimulates endothelial cell adhesion and migration via integrin alpha vbeta 3 and induces blood vessel formation in vivoGieri Camenisch
Department of Molecular Oncology, Genentech, Inc, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA
J Biol Chem 277:17281-90. 2002..Taken together, our data demonstrate that ANGPTL3 is the first member of the angiopoietin-like family of secreted factors binding to integrin alpha(v)beta(3) and suggest a possible role in the regulation of angiogenesis...
- VASCULAR ENDOTHELIUM ABNORMALITIES IN HEART FAILUREStuart Katz; Fiscal Year: 1999..patients with congestive heart failure at rest and during exercise may be related to abnormalities in vascular endothelium function...
- Pancreas Cancer Specialized Program of Research Excelle*Anton Wellstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..findings that inhibition of the nuclear receptor coactivator AIB1 within pancreas cancer cells and adjacent endothelium may block signaling from multiple growth factors to enhance apoptosis...
- Genetic and Transcriptional Control of Spleen DevelopmentLicia Selleri; Fiscal Year: 2010..5 and Hox11 in the Lateral Plate Mesoderm (LPM). Additionally, we uncovered that Pbx1 is expressed in the endothelium of the developing spleen anlage...
- ACUTE PULMONARY ARTERIAL RESPONSES TO HYPOXIAJ Sylvester; Fiscal Year: 1999..intrapulmonary arteries, severe hypoxia caused a triphasic response: (1) early transient contraction, which was endothelium-dependent and reduced by L-NAME; (2) relaxation, which was endothelium-independent, reduced by glibenclamide, ..
- Tissue Factor, Flow, and Platelet Adhesion/Aggregation on Activated EndotheliumERIC FRANKLIN GRABOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010In vivo, platelet adhesion/aggregation on activated endothelium may proceed via upregulation of endothelial cell (EC) molecules adhesive for platelets, especially 1v23 (the vitronectin receptor), ICAM-1, P-selectin, and ultra large von ..
- The Role of Oxidative Stress in the Pathogenesis of Fuchs Endothelial Corneal DysUla V Jurkunas; Fiscal Year: 2010..There is mounting evidence that oxidative stress induces damage to corneal endothelium in FECD...
- CELL CYCLE OF THE CORNEAL ENDOTHELIUMNancy Joyce; Fiscal Year: 2000The endothelium is the monolayer of cells, located at the posterior of the cornea, which maintains corneal transparency...
- Mitochondrial Biogenesis and Endothelial Cell PhenotypeJohn F Keaney; Fiscal Year: 2010The endothelium is an important component of normal vascular homeostasis and endothelial dysfunction is a prelude to the development of vascular disease and its clinical manifestations such as heart attack and stroke...
- Targeting Inflammation to Improve Endothelial Function in Type 2 Diabetes: A SubsMark A Creager; Fiscal Year: 2010..Insulin resistance states, including type 2 diabetes mellitus, are associated with decreased bioavailability of endothelium-derived nitric oxide (NO) and impaired endothelium-dependent vasodilation, and impaired endothelial function ..
- HIV PROTEASE INHIBITORS EFFECT--NENDOTHELIAL DYSFUNCTIONChangyi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the applicant's abstract) 1). To define the role of HIV protease inhibitors in endothelium-dependent vasorelaxation and endothelial morphology...
- PROTEIN PHOSPHATASES IN ENDOTHELIAL CELL PERMEABILITYJOE GARCIA; Fiscal Year: 2001The vascular endothelium is a selective cellular barrier to circulatory proteins and is critical to vessel wall homeostasis...
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..and POAG eyes indicate that the bulk of outflow resistance occurs in the immediate vicinity of the inner wall endothelium of Schlemm's canal (SC)...
- Oxysterols, Estrogen, Receptors Anatgonism and Vascular DiseasePhilip Shaul; Fiscal Year: 2006..The OBJECTIVE of the proposed research is to determine if 27HC is an endogenous antagonist of ER action in endothelium, thereby diminishing estrogen-related cardiovascular protection...
- Nox4 and Vascular HomeostasisJohn F Keaney; Fiscal Year: 2010Under normal circumstances, the endothelium regulates vascular homeostasis via its influence on vasomotor tone, platelet function, leukocyte trafficking, vascular remodeling, and angiogenesis...
- Role of p38 MAPK in IL-4-induced IL-6 expression in vascular endotheliumYongwoo Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007Previous studies have suggested that interleukin-6 (IL-6)-induced pro-inflammatory environments in the vascular endothelium are critical for the initiation and development of atherosclerosis...