Genomes and Genes
Summary: One of two salivary glands in the neck, located in the space bound by the two bellies of the digastric muscle and the angle of the mandible. It discharges through the submandibular duct. The secretory units are predominantly serous although a few mucous alveoli, some with serous demilunes, occur. (Stedman, 25th ed)
Publications325 found, 100 shown here
- Parasympathetic innervation maintains epithelial progenitor cells during salivary organogenesisS M Knox
Matrix and Morphogenesis Unit, Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH, 30 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Science 329:1645-7. 2010..This mechanism for epithelial progenitor cell maintenance may be targeted for organ repair or regeneration...
- ROCK1-directed basement membrane positioning coordinates epithelial tissue polarityWilliam P Daley
Graduate Program in Molecular, Cellular, Developmental, and Neural Biology, University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Development 139:411-22. 2012....
- Immobilization stress induces BDNF in rat submandibular glandsK Tsukinoki
Department of Diagnostic Science, Division of Pathology, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaoka cho, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 238 8580, Japan
J Dent Res 85:844-8. 2006..TrkB mRNA was not detected in salivary gland tissue, or oral or esophageal mucosa, by RT-PCR. Rat submandibular gland was thus identified as an organ which expresses BDNF...
- Specific heparan sulfate structures modulate FGF10-mediated submandibular gland epithelial morphogenesis and differentiationVaishali N Patel
Matrix and Morphogenesis Unit, Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health DHHS, 30 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 283:9308-17. 2008....
- Isoproterenol and cAMP block ERK phosphorylation and enhance [Ca2+]i increases and oxygen consumption by muscarinic receptor stimulation in rat parotid and submandibular acinar cellsStephen P Soltoff
Division of Signal Transduction, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Biol Chem 285:13337-48. 2010....
- Identification of a mechanochemical checkpoint and negative feedback loop regulating branching morphogenesisWilliam P Daley
Graduate Program in Molecular, Cellular, Developmental, and Neural Biology, Department of Biological Sciences, University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY 12222, USA
Dev Biol 336:169-82. 2009..ROCK also stimulates a proliferation-independent negative feedback loop to prevent further cleft initiations. These results reveal that cleft initiation and progression are two physically and biochemically distinct processes...
- Rat salivary gland ligation causes reversible secretory hypofunctionG H Carpenter
Salivary Research Unit, Floor 17, Guy s Tower, King s College London, London, UK
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 189:241-9. 2007..Secretion by salivary glands involves interactions between nerves, blood vessels and salivary cells. The present study investigated the effects of inflammation on rat submandibular gland function following acute ductal obstruction.
- Transplantation of cultured salivary gland cells into an atrophic salivary glandT Sugito
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya 466 8440, Japan
Cell Transplant 13:691-9. 2004..Ductal ligation of the submandibular gland was employed to generate an atrophic gland...
- Prevention of radiation-induced salivary hypofunction following hKGF gene delivery to murine submandibular glandsChangyu Zheng
Molecular Physiology and Therapeutics Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1190, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:2842-51. 2011..We evaluated the effect of human keratinocyte growth factor (hKGF) gene transfer to murine salivary glands on the prevention of radiation-induced salivary hypofunction...
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy reduces radiation-induced morbidity and improves health-related quality of life: results of a nonrandomized prospective study using a standardized follow-up programMarije R Vergeer
Department of Radiation Oncology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:1-8. 2009....
- Contributions of intercalated duct cells to the normal parenchyma of submandibular glands of adult ratsY G Man
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
Anat Rec 263:202-14. 2001The parenchyma of the submandibular gland in the adult male rat is self-renewing, with most newly formed acinar and granular duct cells believed to differentiate from the rapidly proliferating intercalated duct (ID) compartment...
- Laminin alpha5 is necessary for submandibular gland epithelial morphogenesis and influences FGFR expression through beta1 integrin signalingIvan T Rebustini
Matrix and Morphogenesis Unit, Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4370, USA
Dev Biol 308:15-29. 2007..These data link changes in basement membrane composition during branching morphogenesis with FGFR expression and signaling...
- Submandibular glands contribute to increases in plasma BDNF levelsK Tsukinoki
Department of Maxillofacial Diagnostic Science, Division of Pathology, Kanagawa Dental College, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan
J Dent Res 86:260-4. 2007..These findings suggest that the submandibular glands may be the primary source of plasma BDNF in conditions of acute immobilization stress...
- Gene expression profiling in the submandibular gland, stomach, and duodenum of CAVI-deficient micePei wen Pan
Institute of Medical Technology, University of Tampere, Biokatu 6, 33520, Tampere, Finland
Transgenic Res 20:675-98. 2011..We also examined transcriptomic responses to CAVI deficiency in the submandibular gland, stomach, and duodenum of Car6 (-/-) mice...
- FGF10/FGFR2b signaling plays essential roles during in vivo embryonic submandibular salivary gland morphogenesisTina Jaskoll
Laboratory Developmental Genetics, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
BMC Dev Biol 5:11. 2005..We have designed in vivo and in vitro experiments to address this question...
- Long-term outcomes of submandibular gland transfer for prevention of postradiation xerostomiaHadi Seikaly
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 130:956-61. 2004..A new method of preserving and protecting a single submandibular gland from radiation damage through the Seikaly-Jha procedure (SJP) has recently been described.
- Maintenance of paracellular barrier function by insulin-like growth factor-I in submandibular gland cellsRetsu Mitsui
Department of Physiology, Nihon University School of Dentistry at Matsudo, Matsudo, Chiba 271 8587, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 55:963-9. 2010..These observations suggest that IGF-I contributes to the maintenance not only of the cell number of salivary gland cells but also of their paracellular barrier function via the expression and distribution of tight junction proteins...
- A combined endoscopic and external approach for extraction of large stones with preservation of parotid and submandibular glandsFrancis Marchal
Sialendoscopy Unit, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Laryngoscope 117:373-7. 2007
- Cellular dynamics of epithelial clefting during branching morphogenesis of the mouse submandibular glandYuichi Kadoya
Department of Anatomy, Kitasato University School of Allied Health Sciences, Minami Ku, Sagamihara, Japan
Dev Dyn 239:1739-47. 2010We cultured the rudimental submandibular gland (SMG) of mice with a non-cell-permeable fluorescent tracer, and observed cell behavior during epithelial branching morphogenesis using confocal time-lapse microscopy...
- Submandibular salivary gland transfer prevents radiation-induced xerostomiaN Jha
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 46:7-11. 2000..We hypothesized that the surgical transfer of one submandibular salivary gland to submental space, outside the proposed radiation field, prior to starting radiation treatment, would prevent xerostomia...
- Effect of botulinum toxin in the treatment of drooling: a controlled clinical trialPeter H Jongerius
Department of Rehabilitation, University Medical Centre St Radboud, PO Box 9101 6500HB, Nijmegen 720, Netherlands
Pediatrics 114:620-7. 2004..To investigate the clinical effectiveness of botulinum neurotoxin type A (BoNT) to reduce drooling in children with cerebral palsy (CP)...
- Metastasis to the submandibular gland in oral cavity squamous cell carcinomas: pathologic analysisHyung Kwon Byeon
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, Korea
Acta Otolaryngol 129:96-100. 2009This study demonstrates that the incidence of submandibular gland metastasis in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is extremely rare and its involvement is through direct extension from a primary lesion...
- MT2-MMP-dependent release of collagen IV NC1 domains regulates submandibular gland branching morphogenesisIvan T Rebustini
Matrix and Morphogenesis Unit, Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, 30 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Dev Cell 17:482-93. 2009..Here, we discover that decreasing MT-MMP activity during submandibular gland branching morphogenesis decreases proliferation and increases collagen IV and MT-MMP expression...
- Rare involvement of submandibular gland by oral squamous cell carcinomaTseng Cheng Chen
Department of Otolaryngology, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Head Neck 31:877-81. 2009The true involvement of the submandibular gland in primary oral cancer seems quite uncommon.
- Botulinum toxin type A for control of drooling in Asian patients with cerebral palsyYu Ching Lin
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, E Da Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Neurology 70:316-8. 2008
- miR-200c regulates FGFR-dependent epithelial proliferation via Vldlr during submandibular gland branching morphogenesisIvan T Rebustini
Matrix and Morphogenesis Section, Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Development 139:191-202. 2012..We screened miRNAs expressed in the mouse developing submandibular gland (SMG) and found that miR-200c accumulates in the epithelial end buds...
- Occlusal disharmony induces BDNF level in rat submandibular glandKoichiro Irie
Department of Preventive Dentistry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Kita ku, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 56:35-40. 2011brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which is produced in rat submandibular gland, is one of the most abundant neurotrophins in the central nervous system. It is generally accepted that occlusal disharmony causes stress...
- Proteomic analysis of human transplanted submandibular gland in patients with epiphora after transplantationChong Ding
Center for Salivary Gland Diseases of Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Peking University Health Science Centre and Key Laboratory of Molecular Cardiovascular Sciences, Ministry of Education, Beijing, China
J Proteome Res 10:2206-15. 2011b>Submandibular gland autotransplantation is effective for treating severe dry eye syndrome. However, more than 40% of patients show epiphora within 3-6 months after treatment...
- Human submandibular gland (HSG) cell line as a model for studying salivary gland Ca2+ signalling mechanismsK Nagy
Department of Oral Biology, Molecular Oral Biology Research Group, Hungarian Academy of Sciences and Semmelweis University, Nagyvarad ter 4, H 1089 Budapest, Hungary
Acta Physiol Hung 94:301-13. 2007The human submandibular gland cell line (HSG) has been used as a model for studying the molecular mechanisms of salivary cells. The aim of this study was to investigate some aspects of salivary Ca2+ signalling...
- Mesenchymal miR-21 regulates branching morphogenesis in murine submandibular gland in vitroToru Hayashi
Department of Pharmacology, Asahi University School of Dentistry, 1851 Hozumi, Mizuho, Gifu 501 0296, Japan
Dev Biol 352:299-307. 2011..These results suggest that branching morphogenesis is regulated by miR-21 through gene expression related to ECM degradation in the mesenchyme...
- Chemoradiation-induced cell loss in human submandibular glandsChristopher A Sullivan
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Laryngoscope 115:958-64. 2005..The objective of this study was to describe the histopathologic and immunohistochemical features of the non-acute phase of human submandibular gland damage after chemoradiation therapy.
- Incidence and patterns of regional metastasis in early oral squamous cell cancers: feasibility of submandibular gland preservationAli Razfar
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania, USA
Head Neck 31:1619-23. 2009We aimed to study the incidence of metastasis to the submandibular gland (SMG) and to establish the oncologic basis of SMG preservation in early-stage cancer of the oral cavity (OSCC).
- Expression of type 2 cystatin genes CST1-CST5 in adult human tissues and the developing submandibular glandD P Dickinson
Department of Oral Biology and Maxillofacial Pathology, School of Dentistry, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912 1124, USA
DNA Cell Biol 21:47-65. 2002....
- Detection of EGF-dependent microRNAs of the fetal mouse submandibular gland at embryonic day 13Toru Hayashi
Department of Pharmacology, Asahi University School of Dentistry, Mizuho, Japan
J Med Invest 56:250-2. 2009..Comparing the three profiles revealed that several miRNAs were expressed specifically at each condition. These results suggested that these miRNAs were associated with regulating organogenesis, possibly including branching morphogenesis...
- Induction of Sca-1 in the duct cells of the mouse submandibular gland by obstruction of the main excretory ductNunuk Purwanti
Department of Molecular Oral Physiology, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima shi, Tokushima, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 40:651-8. 2011The effect of ligation of the main excretory duct (MED) of the mouse submandibular gland (SMG) on the expression of Sca-1, a stem cell antigen, was examined by Western blotting and immunohistochemistry...
- Ca2+ dynamics in salivary acinar cells: distinct morphology of the acinar lumen underlies near-synchronous global Ca2+ responsesOlga Larina
Department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1PD, UK
J Cell Sci 118:4131-9. 2005..We suggest that this may be a structural adaptation in submandibular cells to support the copious amounts of fluid secreted...
- Sialolipoma of the submandibular gland in a childKaori Sato
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Saitama Children s Medical Center, Saitama 339 8551, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 46:408-10. 2011..Three cases of submandibular gland sialolipoma have been previously reported in the English literature, all of which were in adults...
- Secretion of saliva in X-irradiated rat submandibular glandsKoji Takagi
Department of Dentistry and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, 431 3192 Japan
Radiat Res 159:351-60. 2003..The loss of aquaporin 5 and possibly other membrane-fusion proteins in acinar cells may be the major mechanism underlying such a dysfunction...
- Questionable necessity to remove the submandibular gland in neck dissectionRobert P Takes
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Head Neck 33:743-5. 2011..Metastasis to the submandibular gland itself is extremely rare and if removal of the lymph nodes of sublevel IB is imperative, it seems feasible ..
- Chronic sclerosing sialadenitis (Kuttner's tumor): unusual presentation with bilateral involvement of major and minor salivary glandsMario Blanco
Arkadi M Rywlin MD Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Greater Miami, Miami Beach, FL 33140, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 7:25-30. 2003In 1896 Kuttner reported four cases which he described as induration of the submandibular gland. Histologically, they showed chronic inflammation and fibrosis...
- In vivo monitoring of peripheral circadian clocks in the mouseYu Tahara
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, School of Advanced Science and Engineering, Waseda University, Tokyo 162 8480, Japan
Curr Biol 22:1029-34. 2012..Circadian oscillations were detected in the kidney, liver, and submandibular gland studied in about half of the SCN-lesioned, behaviorally arrhythmic mice...
- A novel dose constraint to reduce xerostomia in head-and-neck cancer patients treated with intensity-modulated radiotherapyLidia Strigari
Laboratory of Medical Physics and Expert Systems, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 77:269-76. 2010....
- Activation of mTOR coincides with autophagy during ligation-induced atrophy in the rat submandibular glandN Silver
King s College London, Dental Institute, London, UK
Cell Death Dis 1:e14. 2010..During severe atrophy of the rat submandibular gland caused by excretory duct ligation, the majority of acinar cells disappear through apoptosis, whereas ductal ..
- Cholinergic autoantibodies from primary Sjögren's syndrome modulate submandibular gland Na+/K+-ATPase activity via prostaglandin E2 and cyclic AMPDaniela Passafaro
Pharmacology Unit, School of Dentistry, Buenos Aires University, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Eur J Oral Sci 118:131-8. 2010..The IgG from patients with pSS has two effects on the submandibular gland. On the one hand, it may act as an inducer of the proinflammatory molecule (PGE(2)) that, in turn, inhibits ..
- Dynamics of parenchymal cell division, differentiation, and apoptosis in the young adult female mouse submandibular glandP C Denny
Department of Basic Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90089 0641, USA
Anat Rec 254:408-17. 1999..On balance, it suggests that the submandibular gland of the young adult female mouse is still growing...
- Cell and fibronectin dynamics during branching morphogenesisMelinda Larsen
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, 30 Convent Drive, MSC 4370, Bethesda, MD 20892 4370, USA
J Cell Sci 119:3376-84. 2006..These findings identify a new mechanism for branching morphogenesis involving directional fibronectin translocation superimposed on individual cell dynamics...
- The protein kinase A pathway contributes to Hg2+-induced alterations in phosphorylation and subcellular distribution of occludin associated with increased tight junction permeability of salivary epithelial cell monolayersJitesh D Kawedia
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0524, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 326:829-37. 2008..Therapeutically, this could be explored for pharmacological intervention in the treatment of dry mouth, Sjögren's syndrome, and possibly other disorders of fluid transport...
- Diverse roles of E-cadherin in the morphogenesis of the submandibular gland: insights into the formation of acinar and ductal structuresJanice L Walker
Department of Pathology, Anatomy and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Dev Dyn 237:3128-41. 2008..We report that in the mouse submandibular gland (SMG), acinar and ductal cell fates are determined early in embryonic morphogenesis with E-cadherin playing ..
- Heparanase cleavage of perlecan heparan sulfate modulates FGF10 activity during ex vivo submandibular gland branching morphogenesisVaishali N Patel
Matrix and Morphogenesis Unit, Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, 30 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD, USA
Development 134:4177-86. 2007..Here we demonstrate a critical role for heparanase during mouse submandibular gland (SMG) branching morphogenesis...
- Lewy pathology in the submandibular gland of individuals with incidental Lewy body disease and sporadic Parkinson's diseaseKelly Del Tredici
Clinical Neuroanatomy, Center for Clinical Research, Department of Neurology, University of Ulm, Helmholtzstrasse 8 1, 89081 Ulm, Germany
Acta Neuropathol 119:703-13. 2010A retrospective autopsy-based study of the human submandibular gland, one of the three major salivary glands, together with anatomically related peripheral structures (cervical superior ganglion, cervical sympathetic trunk, vagal nerve ..
- Parotid gland sparing in patients undergoing bilateral head and neck irradiation: techniques and early resultsA Eisbruch
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 36:469-80. 1996..To minimize xerostomia in patients receiving bilateral head and neck irradiation (RT) by using conformal RT planning to spare a significant volume of one parotid gland from radiation...
- AQP and the control of fluid transport in a salivary glandM Murakami
Center for Integrative Bioscience, NIPS, National Institute for Natural Sciences, Myoudaiji, Okazaki 444 8787, Japan
J Membr Biol 210:91-103. 2006Experiments were performed with the perfused rat submandibular gland in vitro to investigate the nature of the coupling between transported salt and water by varying the osmolarity of the source bath and observing the changes in ..
- Regeneration of acinar cells following ligation of rat submandibular gland retraces the embryonic-perinatal pathway of cytodifferentiationEmanuele Cotroneo
King s College London Dental Institute, London, UK
Differentiation 79:120-30. 2010Rat submandibular gland can regenerate following ligation-induced atrophy, eventually recovering its normal morphology and function...
- Early markers of regeneration following ductal ligation in rat submandibular glandEmanuele Cotroneo
Salivary Research Unit, King s College London, Floor 17, Guy s Tower, Dental Institute at Guy s, King s College and St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 9RT, UK
Cell Tissue Res 332:227-35. 2008..This study suggests that morphological markers of regeneration appear as early as 3 days following ligation removal...
- Salivary gland progenitor cells induced by duct ligation differentiate into hepatic and pancreatic lineagesKenji Okumura
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Hepatology 38:104-13. 2003..In conclusion, the multipotent progenitor cells isolated from the rat salivary gland have characteristics of tissue stem cells and can differentiate into cells of endodermal lineages...
- Hedgehog peptide promotes cell polarization and lumen formation in developing mouse submandibular glandAtsushi Hashizume
Department of Biology, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560 0043, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 339:996-1000. 2006..Moreover, laminin-5 deposition at the basal lamina region of terminal buds was accelerated in treated glands. It is suggested that hedgehog signaling promotes lumen formation and cell polarization of developing SMG epithelium...
- Role of PI 3-kinase and PIP3 in submandibular gland branching morphogenesisMelinda Larsen
Craniofacial Developmental Biology and Regeneration Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4370, USA
Dev Biol 255:178-91. 2003The mouse submandibular gland (SMG) epithelium undergoes extensive morphogenetic branching during embryonic development as the first step in the establishment of its glandular structure...
- Enhancement of barrier function by overexpression of claudin-4 in tight junctions of submandibular gland cellsHiromi Michikawa
Department of Physiology, Nihon University School of Dentistry at Matsudo, Sakaecho nishi 2 870 1, Matsudo, Chiba, 271 8587, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 334:255-64. 2008..the relationship between the expressed claudin isotypes and the barrier functions of tight junctions in a submandibular gland epithelial cell line, SMIE...
- Coupling of two pools of P2X7 receptors to distinct intracellular signaling pathways in rat submandibular glandMikel Garcia-Marcos
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad del Pais Vasco, 48080 Bilbao, Spain
J Lipid Res 47:705-14. 2006..P2X7 receptors in the rafts are coupled to the activation of N-SMase, which increases the content of ceramides in rafts. This may contribute to the activation of PLA2 in response to P2X7 receptor occupancy...
- Semaphorin signaling facilitates cleft formation in the developing salivary glandLing Chung
Graduate Institute of Pathology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Development 134:2935-45. 2007..we show in mice that functional blockage of neuropilin 1 (Npn1) inhibits cleft formation in the developing submandibular gland (SMG) cultured ex vivo...
- Submandibular gland biopsy for the diagnosis of Parkinson diseaseThomas G Beach
Banner Sun Health Research Institute, Sun City, Arizona 85351, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 72:130-6. 2013..synucleinopathy is present in the submandibular glands of PD patients, we assessed the feasibility of submandibular gland biopsy for diagnosing PD...
- Importance of nidogen binding to laminin gamma1 for branching epithelial morphogenesis of the submandibular glandY Kadoya
Department of Animal Physiology, Uppsala University, Biomedical Center, Sweden
Development 124:683-91. 1997..The importance of these interactions was first shown for the embryonic submandibular gland more than 40 years ago...
- Effects of prolonged reduction in blood flow on submandibular secretory function in anesthetized sheepA S Thakor
Physiological Laboratory, University of Cambridge CB2 3EG, UK
J Appl Physiol 95:751-7. 2003..01). These effects persisted for 30 min after the infusion of ET-1 had been discontinued and were linearly related to the flow of plasma throughout...
- Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the submandibular gland with distant metastasesD Hellin-Meseguer
Department ENT, Vega Baja Hospital, Alicante, Spain
B-ENT 3:27-9. 2007A case of metastatic carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma (PA) of the submandibular gland is reported. While reports of local recurrence of this cancer are numerous, few cases of distant metastases have been reported...
- Botulinum toxin in the management of sialorrhoea: a systematic reviewM Lim
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Clin Otolaryngol 31:267-72. 2006..Our review demonstrates that further randomised controlled trials are required to more fully evaluate this new modality of treatment...
- Characterization and comparison of raft-like membranes isolated by two different methods from rat submandibular gland cellsMikel Garcia-Marcos
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad del Pais Vasco, 48080 Bilbao, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1758:796-806. 2006..It can be concluded that both methods can be used to obtain raft-like membranes, but that detergent may affect protein interactions responsible for their association with different membrane domains...
- Establishment and characterization of 12S adenoviral E1A immortalized rat submandibular gland epithelial cellsX J He
Department of Dental Research, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester, NY 14642
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 170:336-43. 1990Rat submandibular gland (RSMG) cells have been immortalized with a retrovirus vector which encodes the adenovirus 12S E1A gene product...
- Chronic stress induces neurotrophin-3 in rat submandibular glandJuri Saruta
Division of Pathology, Department of Maxillofacial Diagnostic Science, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaoka cho, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan
Yonsei Med J 53:1085-92. 2012..In the present study, we investigated whether NT-3 levels in the salivary gland and plasma were influenced by chronic stress...
- An experimental study of the management of severe keratoconjunctivitis sicca with autologous reduced-sized submandibular gland transplantationXi Yuan Ge
Department of Central Laboratory, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, 22 Zhongguancun Nandajie, Haidian District, Beijing, China
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 50:562-6. 2012..In conclusion, transplantation of a reduced submandibular glands is feasible in the treatment of keratoconjunctivitis sicca...
- Is it oncologically safe to leave the ipsilateral submandibular gland during neck dissection for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma?A K Ebrahim
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Health Science, University of Stellenbosch Tygerberg Academic Hospital, Cape Town, Tygerberg, South Africa
J Laryngol Otol 125:837-40. 2011To investigate the incidence of metastasis to the submandibular gland in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Roles of lysosomal proteolytic systems in AQP5 degradation in the submandibular gland of rats following chorda tympani parasympathetic denervationAhmad Azlina
Department of Molecular Oral Physiology, Institute of Health Biosciences, The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 299:G1106-17. 2010Chorda tympani denervation (CTD) of rats was earlier shown to result in loss of submandibular gland (SMG) weight (at only 1 wk) and in continued reduction in aquaporin 5 (AQP5) protein expression (until 4 wk), without affecting its mRNA ..
- Carbachol improves secretion in the early phase after rabbit submandibular gland transplantationL Shi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Beijing, China
Oral Dis 16:351-9. 2010To investigate the changes in the muscarinic receptor signaling pathway with submandibular gland (SMG) transplantation and whether carbachol improves secretion in transplanted SMGs.
- Adiponectin increases secretion of rat submandibular gland via adiponectin receptors-mediated AMPK signalingChong Ding
Center for Salivary Gland Diseases and Center Laboratory, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 8:e63878. 2013..Our results suggest that adiponectin functions as a promoter of salivary secretion in rat submandibular glands via activation of AdipoRs, AMPK, and paracellular permeability...
- Cell death and cell proliferation in mouse submandibular gland during early post-irradiation phaseMarina Bralic
Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rijeka, Croatia
Acta Med Okayama 59:153-9. 2005The effects of irradiation on different cell compartments in the submandibular gland were analyzed in adult C57BL/6 mice exposed to X-ray irradiation and followed up for 10 days...
- Human salivary gland stem/progenitor cells remain dormant even after irradiationYuki Tatsuishi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Yokohama City Iniversity Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama 232 0024, Japan
Int J Mol Med 24:361-6. 2009..promotes single-cell colony formation with low density culture of irradiated and non-irradiated adult human submandibular gland cells using serum-free medium following serum-supplemented medium...
- Purinergic P2X7 receptors mediate ATP-induced saliva secretion by the mouse submandibular glandTetsuji Nakamoto
Center for Oral Biology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Biol Chem 284:4815-22. 2009..P2 receptor agonists induced salivation in an ex vivo submandibular gland preparation...
- FGF alters epithelial competence for EGF at the initiation of branching morphogenesis of mouse submandibular glandMari Nitta
Department of Biology, Graduate School of Science, Chiba University, Chiba, Japan
Dev Dyn 238:315-23. 2009Embryonic day 13 mouse submandibular gland (E13-SMG) rudiments with two to four clefts have been commonly used in culture experiments to show that growth factors, such as epidermal growth factor (EGF) -family and fibroblast growth factor ..
- Submandibular gland transfer: a new method of preventing radiation-induced xerostomiaH Seikaly
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Laryngoscope 111:347-52. 2001..We have recently reported a method of transfer of one submandibular gland to the submental space in a small pilot series of eligible surgical patients...
- Activation of transient receptor potential vanilloid subtype 1 increases expression and permeability of tight junction in normal and hyposecretory submandibular glandXin Cong
Center for Salivary Gland Diseases of Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Peking University HealthScience Center and Key Laboratory of Molecular Cardiovascular Sciences, Beijing, China
Lab Invest 92:753-68. 2012..demonstrated that a functional transient receptor potential vanilloid subtype 1 (TRPV1) expresses in submandibular gland (SMG). However, association of TRPV1-induced saliva secretion with TJ remains unknown...
- Glandular function after intraoral removal of salivary calculi from the hilum of the submandibular glandJ Makdissi
Department of Dental Radiology, Guy s Hospital, Floor 23, London, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:538-41. 2004We studied 43 patients (25 women and 18 men) who had salivary calculi removed from the hilum of the submandibular gland. Preoperatively they had clinical and radiographic examinations, and glandular function was measured ..
- Unilateral maxillary molar extraction influences AQP5 expression and distribution in the rat submandibular salivary glandMariko Mizumachi-Kubono
Orthodontic Science, Department of Orofacial Development and Function, Division of Oral Health Science, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 57:877-83. 2012..In this study, we investigated the structural changes and alterations in the expression and distribution of AQP5 in the rat submandibular salivary gland (SMG) under occlusal hypofunction after unilateral molar extraction...
- Cost efficiency analysis for fine-needle aspiration in the workup of parotid and submandibular gland nodulesLester J Layfield
ARUP Laboratories, Department of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, 50 N Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 34:734-8. 2006..We studied 306 salivary gland nodules (214 parotid and 92 submandibular gland) undergoing FNA...
- Amperometric determination of choline released from rat submandibular gland acinar cells using a choline oxidase biosensorS Serradilla Razola
Service de chimie analytique instrumentale et de bioélectrochimie, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Institut de Pharmacie, Campus Plaine, 1050 Bruxelles, Belgium
Biosens Bioelectron 18:185-91. 2003..0x10(-5) M, with a detection limit of 1.0x10(-7) M. This biosensor was used to detect choline released from phosphatidylcholine (PC) by phospholipase D (PLD) in isolated rat salivary gland cells stimulated by a purinergic agonist (ATP)...
- Immunolocalization of fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) during embryonic development of the rat submandibular glandA K Madan
School of Anatomical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Parktown 2193, Johannesburg, South Africa
SADJ 60:58, 60-1. 2005..elucidate the spatial and temporal expression of fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) in the developing rat submandibular gland. Submandibular glands were removed from foetal rats on days E14.5, 15.5, 16.5, 18.5 and 19.5...
- Gene expression, cell localization, and evolution of rodent submandibular gland androgen-binding proteinJ K Wickliffe
Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 79409 3131, USA
Eur J Morphol 40:257-60. 2002..a radiolabeled riboprobe and in situ hybridization to mouse (Mus) Abpa mRNA to localize Abpa synthesis to submandibular gland acinar cells...
- Spatial and temporal localisation of bone morphogenetic protein-3 (osteogenin) in the developing rat submandibular glandG Hardy
Department of Anatomical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Parktown 2193, Johannesburg, South Africa
SADJ 55:136-41. 2000b>Submandibular gland morphogenesis is a highly regulated process modulated by epithelio-mesenchymal interactions...
- Microvascular autologous submandibular gland transfer in severe cases of keratoconjunctivitis siccaG Y Yu
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Peking University School of Stomatology, Beijing, 100081, China
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:235-9. 2004The objective is to evaluate the technique of microvascular autologous submandibular gland transfer for the treatment of severe keratoconjunctivitis sicca...
- Expression of heat shock protein 27 with the transition from proliferation to differentiation of acinar precursor cell in regenerating submandibular gland of ratsYuko Takahashi-Horiuchi
Division of Anatomy, Meikai University School of Dentistry
Tohoku J Exp Med 214:221-30. 2008..Using the experimental regeneration model of the rat submandibular gland after the release of duct ligation, the spatio-temporal localization of Hsp27 was investigated in ..
- Feasibility of submandibular gland preservation in neck dissection: A prospective anatomic-pathologic studyMuthuswamy Dhiwakar
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Simmons Cancer Institute at Southern Illinois University, Springfield, Illinois
Head Neck 33:603-9. 2011The submandibular gland is commonly removed during neck dissection involving sublevel IB. However, removal reduces basal salivary secretion and therapeutic options for minimizing xerostomia...
- Mouse submandibular gland salivary apomucin contains repeated N-glycosylation sitesP C Denny
Department of Basic Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90089 0641, USA
Glycobiology 6:43-50. 1996A cDNA clone encoding mouse submandibular gland salivary mucin apoprotein was isolated and characterized. The mucin cDNA encodes a protein of 273 amino acids with a calculated molecular weight of 29,606...
- Tuft cells in the main excretory duct of the rat submandibular glandA Sato
Dept of Oral Anatomy, Fukuoka Dental College, Fukuoka, Japan
Eur J Morphol 38:227-31. 2000The fine structure of tuft cells in the main excretory duct of rat submandibular gland was investigated using the high pressure freezing and freeze substitution (HPF-FS) method and compared with that seen with both conventional chemical ..
- Interaction of bracken-fern extract with vitamin C in human submandibular gland and oral epithelium cell linesMariana Campos-da-Paz
Departamento de Biologia Celular, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade de Brasilia, Brasilia, DF, Brazil
Mutat Res 652:158-63. 2008..of vitamin C (10 and 100 microg/ml) on the reversibility of DNA damage caused by bracken-fern on human submandibular gland (HSG) cells and on oral epithelium cells (OSCC-3) previously exposed to bracken-fern extract. DNA damage (i...
- Age-dependent changes in cell proliferation and cell death in the periodontal tissue and the submandibular gland in mice: a comparison with other tissues and organsNorio Enoki
Laboratory of Oral Pathology and Medicine, Department of Maxillofacial Diagnostic and Surgical Sciences, Faculty of Dental Science, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Mol Histol 38:321-32. 2007..the age-dependent changes in the number of BrdU- and TUNEL-positive cells in murine gingival tissue and submandibular gland, and compared the findings with those in other tissues and organs...
- Lymphocyte subsets in irradiation-induced sialadenitis of the submandibular glandA Teymoortash
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Philipp University, Marburg, Germany
Histopathology 47:493-500. 2005..The aim of our study was to determine the phenotype of the inflammatory infiltrate and to study its distribution in the affected submandibular glands...
- Expression and functional analysis of beta-adrenoceptor subtypes in rabbit submandibular glandYu Ming Li
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing 100083, China
Life Sci 79:2091-8. 2006..Here we investigated the expression and function of beta-AR subtypes in rabbit submandibular gland (SMG). Both beta(1)- and beta(2)-ARs, but not beta(3)-AR, were strongly expressed in rabbit SMG...
- Decreased saliva secretion and down-regulation of AQP5 in submandibular gland in irradiated ratsZhimin Li
Department of Oral Radiology, College of Stomatology, Jilin University, Changchun, China
Radiat Res 165:678-87. 2006..The body weight, submandibular gland weight, and saliva secretion of irradiated rats significantly decreased by 12, 24 and 32% on day 3 and 24, ..
- Küttner's tumor: unusual presentation with bilateral involvement of the lacrimal and submandibular glandsJong Lyel Roh
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Cancer Research Institute, Chungnam National University College of Medicine, Daejeon, South Korea
Acta Otolaryngol 125:792-6. 2005..There was no evidence of lymphoepithelial lesions or intraepithelial lymphocytes. This is the first case of KT involving both lacrimal and submandibular glands, suggesting that KT is closely related to an active local immune process...
- Effect of cevimeline on radiation-induced salivary gland dysfunction and AQP5 in submandibular gland in miceKatsuhiro Takakura
Department of Oral Medicine, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Tokyo Dental Collage, Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
Bull Tokyo Dent Coll 48:47-56. 2007..of the muscarinic receptor agonist, cevimeline, on saliva flow and expression of aquaporin5 (AQP5) in submandibular gland after X-ray irradiation...
- Submandibular gland and caries susceptibility in the obese Zucker ratMahmood S Mozaffari
Department of Oral Biology, Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, Augusta, Georgia 30912 1128, USA
J Oral Pathol Med 40:194-200. 2011..We tested the hypothesis that obesity upregulates inflammatory markers in the submandibular gland in association with derangements of its architecture and pre-disposition to caries in obese Zucker rats (..
- Differential sorting of human parathyroid hormone after transduction of mouse and rat salivary glandsJ Adriaansen
Molecular Physiology and Therapeutics Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1190, USA
Hum Gene Ther 19:1021-8. 2008..Confocal microscopy showed hPTH in the glands, localized basolaterally in mice and apically in rats. Submandibular gland transduction was effective and the produced hPTH was biologically active in vivo...
- Hamartomatous sialolipoma of the submandibular gland: case reportPaola Parente
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Largo F Vito 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:599-600. 2008..We report an unusual case of a sialolipoma of the submandibular gland in a 77-year-old woman. The location of this tumour has not to our knowledge been previously described...
- The Regulation of Salivary Gland Regeneration by P2Y2 Nucleotide ReceptorsGARY ANDREW WEISMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..We also will use in vivo submandibular gland (SMG) duct-ligation to validate a role for P2Y2Rs in the recovery and regeneration of damaged salivary ..
- Regulation of SMG Development by Adhesion ReceptorsA Sue Menko; Fiscal Year: 2012..is to elucidate the roles of cell-cell and cell-matrix adhesion receptors in the regulation of the salivary submandibular gland (SMG) development...
- Adenosine Receptors and Restoration of Salivary Gland in Sjogren's SyndromeUmesh S Deshmukh; Fiscal Year: 2013..direct effects of AR agonists on salivary glands, Ca2+ mobilization and phosphorylation of ERK1/2 in submandibular gland acini will be monitored...
- Salivary gland repair and regeneration via Schwann cell-nerve interactionsSARAH MONICA KNOX; Fiscal Year: 2013..These aims will be achieved using embryonic ex vivo and adult mouse in vivo models of irradiation in the submandibular gland in conjunction with genetic, biochemical, immunochemical, and fluorescence imaging techniques...
- Tumor Hypoxia: Molecular Studies and Clinical ExploitationAmato J Giaccia; Fiscal Year: 2013..her project on using activation of ALDH3A2 to protect and mitigate radiation-induced toxicity to the submandibular gland. This is a new direction from the last submission where she was highly productive in understanding the role ..
- Neuronal-epithelial interactions that regulate mouse salivary gland developmentSARAH MONICA KNOX; Fiscal Year: 2013..objective ofthis study is to investigate the mechanisms of neuronal-epithelial communication between the submandibular gland (SMG) and the parasympathetic submandibular ganglion during embryonic development...
- TRPC1, Calcium, and Saliva SecretionBrij B Singh; Fiscal Year: 2013..To understand the regulation of TRPC1 channel we have shown that in human submandibular gland cells, TRPC1 interaction with STIM1, Cav1, and Orai1 dictates TRPC1 mediated calcium entry...
- REGULATION OF INDUCIBLE RAT SALIVARY CYSTATINGurrinder Bedi; Fiscal Year: 1990..Since family 2 rat cystatin in rat submandibular gland is not present as a constituative component, but is induced following isoproterenol treatment, this offers ..
- SECOND MESSENGER FUNCTION IN EXOCRINE GLANDSThomas Hurley; Fiscal Year: 1993..This hypothesis will be tested in comparative studies using acinar preparations of the rat submandibular gland and pancreas as model systems to (1) characterize the kinetic and regulatory properties of the enzymes that ..
- REGULATION AND STRUCTURE OF PROLYL-TRNA SYNTHETASEDAVID DIGNAM; Fiscal Year: 1993The objective of this project is to understand how prolyl-tRNA synthetase is regulated in mammals. The submandibular gland of most rodents undergoes a dramatic hypertrophy when the animal is treated with isoproterenol or tannins...
- SALIVARY GLANDS AND THEIR INNERVATION IN DIABETESJACOB HANKER; Fiscal Year: 1980..Our previous studies have shown a decrease in size of the submandibular gland of the male mouse due to diabetes...
- SELECTIVE AGGREGATION AND SORTING OF SALIVARY PROTEINSDouglas Darling; Fiscal Year: 2007..proteoglycans or other acidic proteins are involved in sorting and storage of secretory proteins in the submandibular gland, a current target for gene therapy protocols...
- RENIN GENE EXPRESSION IN CARDIOVASCULAR REGULATIONVictor Dzau; Fiscal Year: 2002..In extrarenal sites such as submandibular gland (SMG), the NRE binding protein is able to bind effectively to the sequence, since the CRE binding protein ..
- IMMORTALIZATION OF SALIVARY GLAND EPITHELIAL CELL LINESJANICE MORAND; Fiscal Year: 1993..Rat parotid and submandibular gland cells will be fused to rat hepatoma (FTO-2B) cells using polyethylene glycol...
- MOLECULAR CONTROL OF N-GLYCOSYLATION IN DEVELOPMENTMARIA KUKURUZINSKA; Fiscal Year: 1990..The postnatally developing hamster salivary submandibular gland provides an excellent model for studies of developmental control of N- linked glycoprotein biosynthesis...
- SALIVARY IGA RESPONSES--REGULATION BY T CELLSHiroshi Kiyono; Fiscal Year: 2001..The work focuses on the murine oral/nasal cavity (e.g., submandibular gland, SMG)...
- EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTOR AND SPERMATOGENESISCarlos Suarez Quian; Fiscal Year: 1999..In addition, experimental paradigms in which mice have been made EGF deficient, either by submandibular gland ablation or chemical treatment, result in either azoospermia or oligozoospermia...
- EGF GENE REGULATION IN KIDNEY AND SUBMANDIBULAR GLANDRUTH GUBITS; Fiscal Year: 1990..kidney, and that developmental and hormonal regulation in this organ is different from that observed in the submandibular gland. The gene encoding mouse EGF appears to be represented by a single copy per haploid genome...
- SEROTONIN (5-HT) RECEPTORS AND SALIVARY GLAND FUNCTIONGARY WEISMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..data from the Principal Investigator's laboratory have demonstrated that, in the intact perfused rat submandibular gland, 5-HT decreases acetylcholine-induced saliva flow and increases saliva protein content...
- A Thermo Electron LTQ Mass SpectrometerJoseph Zaia; Fiscal Year: 2006..details of the folding of apolipoprotein B (Herscovitz); (2) the role of N-linked glycosylation in submandibular gland development (Kukuruzinska); (3) the role of heparan sulfates in vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation (..
- Molecular Basis of K+ Current During SecretionKeith Nehrke; Fiscal Year: 2002..However, pharmacological evidence exists that secretion in the submandibular gland occurs primarily through the action of an intermediate-conductance calcium-activated potassium channel...
- ILE-SER-BRADYKININ(T-KININ): A NEW VASOACTIVE MEDIATORLOWELL GREENBAUM; Fiscal Year: 1990..of T-kgnase, an enzyme that releases T-kinin, in inflammatory fluids and other tissues including the submandibular gland of some species...
- Salivary Gland Gene Transcription and OrganogenesisRAYMOND MACDONALD; Fiscal Year: 2005..salivary gland transcription factors that establish and maintain the developmental program specific for the submandibular gland. In accord with other developing organ systems, it is proposed that many transcription factors that mediate ..
- REGULATION OF MUCIN GLYCOPROTEIN BIOSYNTHESISGurrinder Bedi; Fiscal Year: 2000..During the current program period the rat submandibular gland (RSMG) apomucin was cloned...
- REGULATION OF MUCIN GLYCOPROTEIN BIOSYNTHESISLawrence Tabak; Fiscal Year: 1999..During the current program period the rat submandibular gland (RSMG) apomucin was cloned...
- ASCORBATE STATUS AND SALIVARY GLAND FUNCTIONCYRIL ENWONWU; Fiscal Year: 1992..solely on dietary sources for ascorbate, will examine effects of prolonged marginal vitamin C deficiency on submandibular gland muscarinic-cholinergic receptor density as assessed by [3H] - QNB binding, intracellular Ca2+ levels and ..
- EPIDERMAL GROWTH FACTOR, OBESITY & INSULIN RESISTANCEJames Young; Fiscal Year: 2001..In pregnant animals circulating EGF is dependent upon synthesis and exocrine secretion from submandibular gland, while in the neonatal period EGF delivery to pups occurs via synthesis in mammary tissue and secretion ..
- TYROSINE PHOSPHORYLATION IN MUSCARINIC SIGNALLINGJeanclare Seagrave; Fiscal Year: 1993..is to test the hypothesis that changes in the phosphorylation state of tyrosine groups in proteins of the submandibular gland acinar cells are involved in the biochemical cascade that occurs when muscarinic agonists interact with ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF SALIVARY GLAND SECRETORY FUNCTIONLESLIE CUTLER; Fiscal Year: 1990We have proposed that cytodifferentiation of the submandibular gland (SMG) acinar cells progresses by a sequence of integrated structural remodelling and biosynthetic steps involving qualitative and quantitative changes in the pattern of ..
- REGULATION OF ANTIGEN SPECIFIC SALIVARY IMMUNE RESPONSESKohtaro Fujihashi; Fiscal Year: 2001..manipulated CT for mucosal adjuvant activity to induce antigen-specific S- IgA responses in saliva and submandibular gland (SMG) ; the second aim is characterize of antigen (OVA) -specific CD4+ Th1 and Th2 cell responses induced ..
- SALIVARY PROTEINS IN DENTAL INTEGUMENTSFRANK OPPENHEIM; Fiscal Year: 2000..determination of the nucleotide sequences of new pellicle precursor protein cDNAs isolated from parotid and submandibular gland libraries. 2...
- TRANSGENIC STUDY VASCULAR ROLE OF NEUROPEPTIDE YMichael Michalkiewicz; Fiscal Year: 2002..to an adrenergic agonist norepinephrine (alpha1/alpha2); and b) (alpha1/ alpha2) responsiveness of the submandibular gland blood flow to supramaximal nerve stimulation; (4) Evaluate the contribution of increased food consumption ..
- SALIVARY GLAND STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONCHARLOTTE SCHNEYER; Fiscal Year: 1992..submandibular and parotid glands of adult and immature rats, as well as transport in perfused main duct of submandibular gland continue to be main objectives...
- Blood Flow and Salivary Gland Function in DiabetesLeigh Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2009..Initial studies demonstrate that neural regulation of submandibular gland (SMG) blood flow is compromised in streptozotocin-diabetic (STZ) rats, a model of insulin-dependent ..
- STRUCTURE OF BIOLOGICALLY ACTIVE NERVE GROWTH FACTORPAUL ISACKSON; Fiscal Year: 1991..NGF has been most thoroughly studied in the mouse submandibular gland where it is present in extremely high levels for reasons that are not known...
- CADHERINS AND SALIVARY GLAND DEVELOPMENTA Menko; Fiscal Year: 1999..the temporal and spatial distribution of cadherins, and their associated catenins, in the developing mouse submandibular gland (SMG)...
- REGULATION OF SUBMANDIBULAR GLAND GENE EXPRESSIONLily Mirels; Fiscal Year: 2005..Aim 2 is to isolate and characterize cDNA clones encoding transcription factors present in the neonatal submandibular gland. Clones will be identified by homology to known transcription factor families, and/or by interaction of ..
- Parenchymal/Stem Cell Pathways for Salivary Gland RepairRobert Redman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Using the rat submandibular gland as a model, we propose to move towards this objective via three approaches...
- PHOSPHODIESTERASES & CALMODULIN IN SALIVARY DEVELOPMENTPaul Epstein; Fiscal Year: 1990..It has already been established that in the rat submandibular gland (SMG), the stimulus-secretion response system does not become operational until 5-6 days postnatal, ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL EXPRESSION OF THE SALIVARY ALG7 GENEMARIA KUKURUZINSKA; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION: The submandibular gland performs important exocrine and endocrine functions and play vital roles in oral and systemic health. Little is known about the molecular genetic basis of its development...
- REGULATION OF BRANCHING MORPHOGENESIS OF SALIVARY GLANDEDWARD GRESIK; Fiscal Year: 2005..and integrins containing the alpha6-subunit are needed for branching morphogenesis of the fetal mouse submandibular gland (SMG). Several intracellular pathways activated by EGFR and/or integrins have been defined...
- EMBRYONIC SALIVARY GLAND MORPHOGENESISTina Jaskoll; Fiscal Year: 2000..The specific aims are to: (1) elucidate the molecular mechanism of CORT-GR-mediated embryonic submandibular gland morphoregulation; (2) to investigate the molecular details of CORT-modulated Msx2-mediated embryonic ..
- Eda/Edar Regulation of Embryonic SMG DevelopmentTina Jaskoll; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- REGULATION OF KALLIKREIN MK9 IN HYPERTENSIONMukarram Uddin; Fiscal Year: 2003..Preliminary results of the proposed investigation, utilizing the submandibular gland(whole issue) from mice genetically selected for high blood pressure, indicated increase expression of EGF-..
- ALDO SPECIFICITY OF MINERALOCORTICOID TARGET CELLSANIKO NARAY FEJES TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2009..WT mice, we will identify aldosterone-regulated genes that are not downstream of SGK1. CCD cells will be isolated by immuno-selection, and differentially expressed genes identified using DNA microarrays. ..
- Cux-1 and cell cycle regulation in kidney developmentGregory Vanden Heuvel; Fiscal Year: 2009..4. Define the relationship between Cux-1, TLE-4, and Notch signaling during podocyte development and nephrogenesis. These studies will provide novel insights into the mechanisms of cell proliferation during development. ..
- Evolutionary studies of mouse seminal fluid protein genesROBERT KARN; Fiscal Year: 2008..Disease research may benefit from studies of selection, since positive selection is often associated with human disease genes. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The function of RhoBTB proteinsSTEPHEN PAUL SOLTOFF; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of these studies may reveal a new pathway involved in the development of cancer and advance our understanding of the basic biology of transformation. ..
- Mechanisms of CMV latency in accelerated vascular diseaseDaniel N Streblow; Fiscal Year: 2010..Does mutation of the RCMV genes expressed in the latently infected allografts alter virus-induced acceleration of disease? B. What is the function of RCMV genes expressed in latently infected allografts? ..
- Microarray Analysis-Intracellular Infection/AutoimmuntyMICHAEL HUMPHREYS BEHER; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- A LONGITUDINAL STUDY OF LEAD EXPOSURE AND DENTAL CARIESGene Watson; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ENAMEL MATRIX SERINE PROTEINASE 1James Simmer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Accomplishing these aims will gain important insights into the action of EMSP1 in the organization, processing, turnover, and degradation of enamel matrix proteins during enamel biomineralization. ..
- Identification of a new protein that binds Src and PKCSTEPHEN SOLTOFF; Fiscal Year: 2004..Future efforts will determine if this new protein alters cell morphology, tight junction formation, or other functions in salivary cells. ..
- Array-based methylation analysis using anti-5mC antibodyFumiichiro Yamamoto; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will evaluate the sensitivity, specificity, and reproducibility of the method, using BAG clone microarrays, DNA fragment microarrays, and oligonucleotide microarrays. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetics of Autontibody DiversificationUmesh Deshmukh; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposal addresses a significant issue in autoimmunity and will serve well as a training vehicle to obtain the stated goals by the PI. ..
- PHOTOPERIODIC CONTROL OF OBESITYTimothy Bartness; Fiscal Year: 2008..RESEARCH GRANT TABLE OF CONTENTS Page Numbers 1 Face Page .................................................................................................................................................. Description, ..
- NERVE GROWTH FACTOR AND OROFACIAL NEUROPATHIC PAINLeigh Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2001....