Genomes and Genes
Summary: Glands that secrete SALIVA in the MOUTH. There are three pairs of salivary glands (PAROTID GLAND; SUBLINGUAL GLAND; SUBMANDIBULAR GLAND).
Publications364 found, 100 shown here
- Dengue virus type 2: replication and tropisms in orally infected Aedes aegypti mosquitoesMa Isabel Salazar
Arthropod Borne and Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523 1692, USA
BMC Microbiol 7:9. 2007..must infect midgut epithelial cells, replicate and disseminate into the hemocoel, and finally infect the salivary glands, which is essential for transmission...
- Induction of a peptide with activity against a broad spectrum of pathogens in the Aedes aegypti salivary gland, following Infection with Dengue VirusNatthanej Luplertlop
Department of Tropical Hygiene, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
PLoS Pathog 7:e1001252. 2011..aegypti). Infection of the mosquito's salivary glands by DENV is the final step prior to viral transmission...
- Blood-feeding and immunogenic Aedes aegypti saliva proteinsLadawan Wasinpiyamongkol
Department of Tropical Hygiene, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Proteomics 10:1906-16. 2010..We have generated for the first time the 2-DE profiles of immunogenic Ae. aegypti SG BF-related proteins. These new data could contribute to the understanding of the physiological processes that appear during the blood meal...
- Transcription factor AP2-Sp and its target genes in malarial sporozoitesMasao Yuda
Department of Medical Zoology, Mie University School of Medicine, Mie, Tsu, 514 0001, Japan
Mol Microbiol 75:854-63. 2010..These results indicate that AP2-Sp is a major transcription factor that regulates gene expression in the sporozoite stage...
- Efficiency of salivary gland invasion by malaria sporozoites is controlled by rapid sporozoite destruction in the mosquito haemocoelJULIAN F HILLYER
Center for Microbial and Plant Genomics and Department of Microbiology, University of Minnesota, 1500 Gortner Ave, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
Int J Parasitol 37:673-81. 2007..transmission to the vertebrate host, malaria sporozoites must migrate from the mosquito midgut to the salivary glands. Here, using purified sporozoites inoculated into the mosquito haemocoel, we show that salivary gland ..
- Chikungunya virus and Aedes mosquitoes: saliva is infectious as soon as two days after oral infectionMathieu Dubrulle
Institut Pasteur, Génétique Moléculaire des Bunyavirus, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 4:e5895. 2009..albopictus. As Ae. albopictus tends to replace Ae. aegypti in many regions, one question remained: is Ae. albopictus as efficient as Ae. aegypti to transmit the variant E1-226V of CHIKV?..
- Rescue of salivary gland function after stem cell transplantation in irradiated glandsIsabelle M A Lombaert
Section Radiation and Stress Cell Biology, Department of Cell Biology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 3:e2063. 2008..Our approach is the first proof for the potential use of stem cell transplantation to functionally rescue salivary gland deficiency...
- Natural human humoral response to salivary gland proteins of Anopheles mosquitoes in ThailandAmornrat Waitayakul
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medical Technology, Mahidol University, Salaya, Nakhonpathom, Thailand
Acta Trop 98:66-73. 2006..Immunohistochemical staining of Anopheles salivary glands with human sera showed that the salivary gland-specific IgGs reacted strongly with the median lobe...
- Human cytomegalovirus and mucoepidermoid carcinoma of salivary glands: cell-specific localization of active viral and oncogenic signaling proteins is confirmatory of a causal relationshipMichael Melnick
Laboratory for Developmental Genetics, USC, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0641, USA
Exp Mol Pathol 92:118-25. 2012..In the absence of any contrary evidence, hCMV can reasonably be designated an "oncovirus."..
- The Plasmodium eukaryotic initiation factor-2alpha kinase IK2 controls the latency of sporozoites in the mosquito salivary glandsMin Zhang
Michael Heidelberger Division, Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Exp Med 207:1465-74. 2010..the invasive form of malaria parasites transmitted by mosquitoes, are quiescent while in the insect salivary glands. Sporozoites only differentiate inside of the hepatocytes of the mammalian host...
- Salivary gland protein repertoire from Aedes aegypti mosquitoesLionel Almeras
Unité de Recherche en Biologie et Epidémiologie Parasitaires UMR6236 IFR48, Institut de Médecine Tropicale du Service de Santé des Armées IMTSSA, Marseille, France
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 10:391-402. 2010..One hundred and twenty proteins were identified in these salivary glands representing the largest description of the Ae. aegypti salivary gland protein catalog...
- Progression of Plasmodium berghei through Anopheles stephensi is density-dependentRobert E Sinden
Division of Cell and Molecular Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Pathog 3:e195. 2007....
- Comparative salivary gland transcriptomics of sandfly vectors of visceral leishmaniasisJennifer M Anderson
Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, NIAID, NIH, USA
BMC Genomics 7:52. 2006..Further knowledge of the repertoire of these salivary proteins will give us insights into the molecular evolution of these proteins and will help us select relevant antigens for the development of a vector based anti-Leishmania vaccine...
- Salivary acinar cells from aquaporin 5-deficient mice have decreased membrane water permeability and altered cell volume regulationC M Krane
Department of Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry, and Microbiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0524, USA
J Biol Chem 276:23413-20. 2001..These data show that AQP5 is the major pathway for regulating the water permeability in acinar cells, a critical property of the plasma membrane which determines the flow rate and ionic composition of secreted saliva...
- Toward a description of the sialome of the adult female mosquito Aedes aegyptiJ G Valenzuela
Medical Entomology Section, Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 4 Center Drive, Room 4 126, Bethesda, MD 20892 0425, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 32:1101-22. 2002To describe the set of mRNA and protein expressed in the salivary glands (sialome) of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, we randomly sequenced a full-length cDNA library of this insect and performed Edman degradation of PVDF-transferred protein ..
- An insight into the sialome of the soft tick, Ornithodorus parkeriIvo M B Francischetti
Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 8132, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 38:1-21. 2008..As happens to all genera of blood-sucking arthropods, several new proteins were also found, indicating the process of adaptation to blood feeding still continues to recent times...
- Identification of the most abundant secreted proteins from the salivary glands of the sand fly Lutzomyia longipalpis, vector of Leishmania chagasiJesus G Valenzuela
Vector Molecular Biology Unit, Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, NIAID, National Institutes of Health, 12735 Twinbrook Parkway, Room 2E 22C, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
J Exp Biol 207:3717-29. 2004..biology approaches, we have isolated and identified the most abundant secreted proteins from the salivary glands of the sand fly Lutzomyia longipalpis...
- The enhancement of arbovirus transmission and disease by mosquito saliva is associated with modulation of the host immune responseBradley S Schneider
Institut Pasteur, Departement de Parasitologie, Unités de Réponses Précoces aux Parasites et Immunopathologie, 25 rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:400-8. 2008..Compared with arbovirus infection initiated in the absence of the mosquito or its saliva, infection via mosquito saliva leads to an increase in virus transmission, host susceptibility, viraemia, disease progression and mortality...
- Bone marrow-derived cells rescue salivary gland function in mice with head and neck irradiationYoshinori Sumita
Faculty of Dentistry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 43:80-7. 2011..A consequence of this treatment is irreversible damage to salivary glands (SGs), which is accompanied by a loss of fluid-secreting acinar-cells and a considerable decrease of saliva ..
- Bone marrow-derived cells: A potential approach for the treatment of xerostomiaSimon D Tran
McGill University, Faculty of Dentistry, Montreal, Canada
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 43:5-9. 2011..BMDCs positively affect blood vessels stability and regeneration in irradiated salivary glands. Also, BMDCs provide an immunomodulatory activity in mice with Sjögren's-like disease...
- Isolation and characterization of human salivary gland cells for stem cell transplantation to reduce radiation-induced hyposalivationJielin Feng
Department of Cell Biology, Section Radiation and Stress Cell Biology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 92:466-71. 2009..we showed that transplantation of 100-300 c-Kit(+) stem cells isolated from cultured salispheres ameliorates radiation-damage in murine salivary glands. The aim of this study is to optimize and translate these findings from mice to man.
- Spatial mapping of gene expression in the salivary glands of the dengue vector mosquito, Aedes aegyptiJennifer Juhn
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine, USA
Parasit Vectors 4:1. 2011..Mosquito salivary glands are organs involved directly in pathogen transmission to vertebrate hosts...
- Anti-thrombosis repertoire of blood-feeding horsefly salivary glandsDongying Ma
Biotoxin Units of Key Laboratory of Animal Models and Human Disease Mechanisms, Kunming Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming 650223, Yunnan, China
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:2071-9. 2009..Little information is available on antihemostatic substances in horsefly salivary glands although their saliva has been thought to contain wide range of physiologically active molecules...
- Isolation and characterization of adult stem cells from human salivary glandsNicole Rotter
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Ulm University, 89075 Ulm, Germany
Stem Cells Dev 17:509-18. 2008..Easy accessibility and a high differentiation potential make salivary gland-derived stem cells a promising source for future applications in regenerative medicine...
- Toward an understanding of the molecular mechanism for successful blood feeding by coupling proteomics analysis with pharmacological testing of horsefly salivary glandsXueqing Xu
Biotoxin Units of Key Laboratory of Animal Models and Human Disease Mechanisms, Kunming Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming 650223, Yunnan, China
Mol Cell Proteomics 7:582-90. 2008..Little information is available on antihemostatic substances in horsefly salivary glands; especially no horsefly immune suppressants have been reported...
- An insight into the sialotranscriptome of the brown dog tick, Rhipicephalus sanguineusElen Anatriello
Department of Maternal and Child and Public Health Nursing, Ribeirao Preto School of Nursing, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP 14049 900, Brazil
BMC Genomics 11:450. 2010..of 2,034 expressed sequence tags (EST) from two cDNA libraries, one consctructed using mRNA from dissected salivary glands from female ticks fed for 3-5 days (early to mid library, RsSGL1) and the another from ticks fed for 5 days (..
- Systemic and local interleukin-17 and linked cytokines associated with Sjögren's syndrome immunopathogenesisGikas E Katsifis
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch and Sjögren s Syndrome Clinic, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research NIH, 30 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Pathol 175:1167-77. 2009..Plasma and minor salivary glands (MSGs) from patients with pSS were therefore evaluated for CD4(+) T cells, T regulatory cells, IL-17, and ..
- B cell-activating factor of the tumor necrosis factor family (BAFF) is expressed under stimulation by interferon in salivary gland epithelial cells in primary Sjögren's syndromeMarc Ittah
Rhumatologie, Institut Pour la Santé et la Recherche Médicale INSERM U 802, Hopital Bicetre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Universite Paris Sud 11, 78 rue du General Leclerc, 94275 Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Arthritis Res Ther 8:R51. 2006..The cellular origin of BAFF overexpression in salivary glands of patients with pSS is not fully known...
- A direct role for cohesin in gene regulation and ecdysone response in Drosophila salivary glandsAndrea Pauli
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, UK
Curr Biol 20:1787-98. 2010..These and other recent experimental findings have led to the suggestion that cohesin, in addition to its canonical function of mediating sister chromatid cohesion, might also be involved in regulating gene expression...
- Analysis of salivary transcripts and antigens of the sand fly Phlebotomus arabicusJitka Hostomska
Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Science, Department of Parasitology, Vinicna 7, 128 44 Praha 2, Czech Republic
BMC Genomics 10:282. 2009..In the present work, we focused on Phlebotomus (Adlerius) arabicus, which was recently shown to transmit Leishmania tropica, the causative agent of cutaneous leishmaniasis in Israel...
- Transgene-mediated suppression of dengue viruses in the salivary glands of the yellow fever mosquito, Aedes aegyptiG Mathur
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697 3900, USA
Insect Mol Biol 19:753-63. 2010..Adult female salivary glands are involved in pathogen transmission to human hosts and are target sites for expression of antipathogen ..
- Regeneration of irradiated salivary glands with stem cell marker expressing cellsLalitha S Y Nanduri
Department of Cell Biology, Section Radiation and Stress Cell Biology, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 99:367-72. 2011..This study aims to better characterize the stem/progenitor cell population with regenerative potential residing in the mouse salivary gland...
- Role for Notch signaling in salivary acinar cell growth and differentiationHoward Dang
The University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of Community Dentistry, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Dev Dyn 238:724-31. 2009..Taken together, these data suggest that Notch signaling is critical for normal salivary gland cell growth and differentiation...
- Platelet-derived growth factor receptor regulates salivary gland morphogenesis via fibroblast growth factor expressionShinya Yamamoto
Division of Oral Health, Growth and Development, Faculty of Dental Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:23139-49. 2008..Thus, PDGF signaling is a possible mechanism involved in the interaction between epithelial and neural crest-derived mesenchyme...
- Cathelicidin antimicrobial peptides are expressed in salivary glands and salivaM Murakami
Division of Dermatology, University of California San Diego, USA
J Dent Res 81:845-50. 2002..CRAMP mRNA and protein were localized to the salivary glands, specifically in acinar cells of the submandibular gland and palatine minor glands, as well as in lingual ..
- Prevention of radiation-induced salivary hypofunction following hKGF gene delivery to murine submandibular glandsChangyu Zheng
Molecular Physiology and Therapeutics Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1190, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:2842-51. 2011b>Salivary glands are significantly affected when head and neck cancer patients are treated by radiation...
- Mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of salivary glands, containing the ETV6-NTRK3 fusion gene: a hitherto undescribed salivary gland tumor entityAlena Skalova
Department of Pathology, Charles University, Pilsen, Czech Republic
Am J Surg Pathol 34:599-608. 2010..For this tumor, we propose a designation mammary analogue secretory carcinoma of salivary glands (MASC). The 16 patients comprised 9 men and 7 women, with a mean age of 46 years (range 21 to 75)...
- Restoration of radiation therapy-induced salivary gland dysfunction in mice by post therapy IGF-1 administrationOliver Grundmann
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
BMC Cancer 10:417. 2010..To address this problem we investigated the potential for post-therapeutic IGF-1 to reverse radiation-induced salivary gland dysfunction...
- Rho GTPase controls invagination and cohesive migration of the Drosophila salivary gland through Crumbs and Rho-kinaseNa Xu
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065, USA
Dev Biol 321:88-100. 2008..Our genetic and live-imaging analyses provide novel evidence that the proximal gland cells play an essential and active role in salivary gland migration that propels the entire gland to turn and migrate posteriorly...
- Plasmodium differentiation in the mosquitoR E Sinden
Department of Biology, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK
Parassitologia 41:139-48. 1999..The potential exploitation of these interactions as possible mechanisms for intervention will be discussed...
- Tsetse salivary gland hypertrophy virus: hope or hindrance for tsetse control?Adly M M Abd-Alla
Insect Pest Control Laboratory, Joint FAO IAEA Division of Nuclear Techniques in Food and Agriculture, Vienna, Austria
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1220. 2011..In addition, preliminary attempts to silence the expression of an essential viral protein using RNA interference will be discussed...
- cDNA and genomic cloning of lacritin, a novel secretion enhancing factor from the human lacrimal glandS Sanghi
Department of Cell Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Mol Biol 310:127-39. 2001..Lacritin mRNA and protein are highly expressed in human lacrimal gland, moderately in major and minor salivary glands and slightly in thyroid...
- Salivary gland tissue expression of interleukin-23 and interleukin-17 in Sjögren's syndrome: findings in humans and miceCuong Q Nguyen
Department of Oral Biology, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Arthritis Rheum 58:734-43. 2008..Importantly, Th17 cells appear to be intimately involved in autoimmunity. We undertook the present study to investigate whether the Th17/IL-23 system is up-regulated in Sjögren's syndrome (SS)...
- Coupling genetics and proteomics to identify aphid proteins associated with vector-specific transmission of polerovirus (luteoviridae)Xiaolong Yang
Department of Plant Pathology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Virol 82:291-9. 2008....
- Cytomegalovirus exploits IL-10-mediated immune regulation in the salivary glandsIan R Humphreys
Division of Molecular Immunology, La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Exp Med 204:1217-25. 2007The salivary glands represent a major site of cytomegalovirus replication and transmission to other hosts...
- Virus progeny of murine cytomegalovirus bacterial artificial chromosome pSM3fr show reduced growth in salivary Glands due to a fixed mutation of MCK-2Stefan Jordan
Max von Pettenkofer Institute, Lehrstuhl Virologie, Feodor Lynen Strasse 25, Munchen, Germany
J Virol 85:10346-53. 2011..When mice were infected with pSM3fr-derived virus, we observed reduced virus production in salivary glands, which could be reverted by repair of the frameshift mutation...
- Expression and cellular localizaion of melatonin-synthesizing enzymes in rat and human salivary glandsMasashi Shimozuma
Second Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Oral Medicine and Stomatology, School of Dental Medicine, Tsurumi University, 2 1 3 Tsurumi, Tsurumi ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 135:389-96. 2011..The present study was performed to investigate where melatonin was synthesized and whether it was secreted by salivary glands into saliva...
- Isolation, tissue localization, and cellular characterization of progenitors derived from adult human salivary glandsAyumi Sato
Department of Pediatrics, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Kumamoto, Japan
Cloning Stem Cells 9:191-205. 2007..into cells with hepatic or pancreatic phenotypes can be isolated from experimentally injured salivary glands of rodents...
- Clinical management of salivary gland hypofunction and xerostomia in head-and-neck cancer patients: successes and barriersArjan Vissink
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Grongingen, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 78:983-91. 2010..These include ways to (1) prevent or minimize radiation injury of salivary gland tissue, (2) manage radiation-induced hyposalivation and xerostomia, and (3) restore the function of salivary gland tissue damaged by radiotherapy...
- Cytokine treatment improves parenchymal and vascular damage of salivary glands after irradiationIsabelle M A Lombaert
Section of Radiation and Stress Cell Biology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Clin Cancer Res 14:7741-50. 2008During radiotherapy for head and neck cancer, co-irradiation (IR) of salivary glands results in acute and often lifelong hyposalivation...
- Transplantation of cultured salivary gland cells into an atrophic salivary glandT Sugito
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya 466 8440, Japan
Cell Transplant 13:691-9. 2004..This study demonstrated that cell transplantation to the salivary gland is feasible, and that the transplanted cells were selectively attracted to and remained in the damaged area without affecting normal tissue...
- An insight into the sialome of the adult female mosquito Aedes albopictusBruno Arcà
Department of Structural and Functional Biology, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 37:107-27. 2007To gain insight into the molecular repertoire of the adult female salivary glands of the tiger mosquito Aedes albopictus, we performed transcriptome and proteome analysis...
- An insight into the sialotranscriptome of the seed-feeding bug, Oncopeltus fasciatusIvo M B Francischetti
Section of Vector Biology, Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 12735 Twinbrook Parkway, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 37:903-10. 2007..Finally, several novel putative proteins are described with no known function that might affect plant physiology or act as antimicrobials...
- Interleukin-12 induces salivary gland dysfunction in transgenic mice, providing a new model of Sjögren's syndromeJelle L Vosters
National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Arthritis Rheum 60:3633-41. 2009..Our secondary objective was to further characterize this animal model and to determine if the changes observed in these mice are representative of those observed in patients with SS overall...
- Genome analysis of a Glossina pallidipes salivary gland hypertrophy virus reveals a novel, large, double-stranded circular DNA virusAdly M M Abd-Alla
Entomology Unit, FAO IAEA Agriculture and Biotechnology Laboratory, IAEA Laboratories, A 2444 Seibersdorf, Austria
J Virol 82:4595-611. 2008..Furthermore, no homologues to DNA-dependent RNA polymerase subunits were detected. Taken together, these data indicate that GpSGHV is the prototype member of a novel group of insect viruses...
- Cytokines in Sjögren's syndromeN Roescher
Molecular Physiology and Therapeutics Branch, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Oral Dis 15:519-26. 2009..In the salivary glands, saliva and serum of these patients, many pro-inflammatory cytokines are upregulated...
- Human IgG1 and IgG4: the main antibodies against Triatoma infestans (Hemiptera: Reduviidae) salivary gland proteinsR J Nascimento
Chagas Disease Multidisciplinary Research Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, , Federal District, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:219-26. 2001..In conclusion, IgG1 reactive against TSGP is the main antibody present in individuals living in the triatomine-infested study areas. Also, IgG4 is found in the sera of insect-transmitted Chagas disease patients living in study areas...
- Increased circulating levels and salivary gland expression of interleukin-18 in patients with Sjögren's syndrome: relationship with autoantibody production and lymphoid organization of the periductal inflammatory infiltrateMichele Bombardieri
Rheumatology Department, GKT School of Medicine, King s College London, UK
Arthritis Res Ther 6:R447-56. 2004..IL-18 expression in SS salivary glands was detected in 28 of 32 periductal foci of mononuclear cells (87...
- Autoimmune response and target autoantigens in Sjogren's syndromeJohn G Routsias
Department of Pathophysiology, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Greece
Eur J Clin Invest 40:1026-36. 2010..Primary Sjogren's syndrome (pSS) is characterized by the presence of autoantibodies targeting mainly the Ro/La ribonucleoprotein complex. It is now appreciated that the production of autoantibodies is an antigen-driven immune response...
- Mosquito heparan sulfate and its potential role in malaria infection and transmissionPhotini Sinnis
Department of Medical Parasitology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10010, USA
J Biol Chem 282:25376-84. 2007..The glycosaminoglycans were isolated, from salivary glands and midguts of the mosquito in quantities sufficient for disaccharide microanalysis...
- The treatment of drooling by ultrasound-guided intraglandular injections of botulinum toxin type A into the salivary glandsPeter H Jongerius
Department of Rehabilitation, University Medical Center St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Laryngoscope 113:107-11. 2003The aim of the study was to present the background, procedure, and technique of bilateral ultrasound-guided, single-dose injections of botulinum toxin type A (BTX) into the salivary glands in patients with severe drooling.
- An insight into the sialotranscriptome of the West Nile mosquito vector, Culex tarsalisEric Calvo
Section of Vector Biology, Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
BMC Genomics 11:51. 2010..quinquefasciatus, a mosquito relatively recently adapted to feed on humans, and the only mosquito of the genus Culex to have its sialotranscriptome so far described...
- The CrebA/Creb3-like transcription factors are major and direct regulators of secretory capacityRebecca M Fox
Department of Cell Biology, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Cell Biol 191:479-92. 2010..Finally, we found that the human CrebA orthologues, Creb3L1 and Creb3L2, have the ability to up-regulate the secretory pathway in nonsecretory cell types...
- Increased frequency of CD16+ monocytes and the presence of activated dendritic cells in salivary glands in primary Sjögren syndromeM E Wildenberg
Department of Immunology, Erasmus MC, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 68:420-6. 2009In the salivary glands of patients with primary Sjögren Syndrome (pSjS) an accumulation of dendritic cells (DCs) is seen, which is thought to play a role in stimulating local inflammation...
- Lymphoplasmacytic infiltration of multiple organs with immunoreactivity for IgG4: IgG4-related systemic diseaseTakako Saeki
Department of Internal Medicine, Nagaoka Red Cross Hospital, Nagaoka
Intern Med 45:163-7. 2006..three elderly men with high serum IgG4 concentrations and multiple lymphoplasmacytic inflammation of the salivary glands, lymph nodes, pancreas, and renal interstitium...
- The CGGGG insertion/deletion polymorphism of the IRF5 promoter is a strong risk factor for primary Sjögren's syndromeCorinne Miceli-Richard
INSERM U 802, Universite Paris Sud 11, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Arthritis Rheum 60:1991-7. 2009....
- An Ixodes scapularis protein required for survival of Anaplasma phagocytophilum in tick salivary glandsBindu Sukumaran
Section of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Exp Med 203:1507-17. 2006..We now show that A. phagocytophilum induces expression of the Ixodes scapularis salp16 gene in the arthropod salivary glands during vector engorgement...
- Dynamics of the salivary gland hypertrophy virus in laboratory colonies of Glossina pallidipes (Diptera: Glossinidae)Adly M M Abd-Alla
Insect Pest Control Laboratory, Joint FAO IAEA Programme of Nuclear Techniques in Food and Agriculture, Vienna, Austria
Virus Res 150:103-10. 2010....
- Radiation-induced salivary gland dysfunction results from p53-dependent apoptosisJennifer L Avila
Department of Physiological Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:523-9. 2009Radiotherapy for head-and-neck cancer causes adverse secondary side effects in the salivary glands and results in diminished quality of life for the patient...
- Saliva and gastrointestinal functions of taste, mastication, swallowing and digestionA M Pedersen
Copenhagen Gerodontological Oral Health Research Centre, Department of Clinical Oral Physiology, Anatomy, Pathology and Medicine, School of Dentistry, Denmark
Oral Dis 8:117-29. 2002..Finally, pathophysiological considerations of salivary dysfunction in relation to some GI functions are considered...
- The parasite invasion marker SRPN6 reduces sporozoite numbers in salivary glands of Anopheles gambiaeSofia B Pinto
Imperial College London, Faculty of Natural Sciences, Division of Cell and Molecular Biology, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, South Kensington Campus, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Cell Microbiol 10:891-8. 2008For malaria transmission to occur, Plasmodium sporozoites must infect the salivary glands of their mosquito vectors...
- Parotid and submandibular/sublingual salivary flow during high dose radiotherapyF R Burlage
Department of Radiotherapy, University Hospital, P.O. Box 30.0019700 RB, Groningen, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 61:271-4. 2001..Neither recovery nor significant differences were observed between the production of saliva from the parotid and submandibular/sublingual glands during the 13 weeks observation period...
- Transcriptomic and functional analysis of the Anopheles gambiae salivary gland in relation to blood feedingSuchismita Das
W Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, 615 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205 2179, USA
BMC Genomics 11:566. 2010The Anopheles gambiae salivary glands play a major role in malaria transmission and express a variety of bioactive components that facilitate blood-feeding by preventing platelet aggregation, blood clotting, vasodilatation, and ..
- On the mechanism of salivary gland radiosensitivityAntonius W T Konings
Department of Radiation and Stress Cell Biology, University of Groningen, Building 3215 5th Floor, Ant Deusinglaan 1, 9717 BM Groningen, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 62:1187-94. 2005To contribute to the understanding of the enigmatic radiosensitivity of the salivary glands by analysis of appropriate literature, especially with respect to mechanisms of action of early radiation damage, and to supply information on ..
- Recruitment timing and dynamics of transcription factors at the Hsp70 loci in living cellsKatie L Zobeck
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Mol Cell 40:965-75. 2010..Furthermore, we demonstrate that poly(ADP-ribose) (PAR) polymerase activity is required to maintain the transcription compartment. We propose that PAR polymers locally retain factors in a transcription compartment...
- Ultrastructural study of West Nile virus pathogenesis in Culex pipiens quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae)Yvette A Girard
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
J Med Entomol 42:429-44. 2005..and cell viability in midgut and salivary gland tissues, midguts were dissected on days 3, 7, 14, and 21, and salivary glands were collected on days 7, 14, 21, and 25 postinfection (d.p.i...
- Two NOD Idd-associated intervals contribute synergistically to the development of autoimmune exocrinopathy (Sjögren's syndrome) on a healthy murine backgroundSeunghee Cha
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Arthritis Rheum 46:1390-8. 2002..In the present study, we bred the Idd3 and Idd5 chromosomal intervals from NOD mice into non-autoimmune C57BL/6 mice to determine if these intervals recreate a Sjögren's syndrome (SS)-like phenotype...
- Quantitative PCR analysis of the salivary gland hypertrophy virus (GpSGHV) in a laboratory colony of Glossina pallidipesAdly M M Abd-Alla
Entomology Unit, FAO IAEA Agriculture and Biotechnology Laboratory, IAEA Laboratories Seibersdorf, A 2444 Seibersdorf, Austria
Virus Res 139:48-53. 2009..68E+5, 2.05E+5 and 1.07E+7log(10) in DNA from an excised leg, salivary glands and a whole fly, respectively. In symptomatic flies the virus copy number in the same organs averaged 1...
- An insight into the sialome of Glossina morsitans morsitansJuliana Alves-Silva
Vector Group, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Liverpool, L3 5QA, UK
BMC Genomics 11:213. 2010..Adult tsetse flies feed exclusively on vertebrate blood and are important vectors of human and animal diseases. Thus far, only limited information exists regarding the Glossina sialome, or any other fly belonging to the Hippoboscidae...
- An immunoglobulin binding protein (antigen 5) of the stable fly (Diptera: Muscidae) salivary gland stimulates bovine immune responsesM Ameri
Department of Diagnostic Medicine Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
J Med Entomol 45:94-101. 2008..These findings suggest that Ag5 of the stable fly salivary gland is not immunosuppressive but that it has immunoglobulin binding properties and can invoke specific antibody and memory lymphocyte responses in immunized calves...
- Characterization of anti-hemostatic factors in the argasid, Argas monolakensis: implications for the evolution of blood-feeding in the soft tick familyBen J Mans
Laboratory for Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 38:22-41. 2008..This cross-reactivity could have facilitated the switching of soft ticks from avian to mammalian hosts and can explain in part the ability of Argas ticks, to feed on humans, thereby remaining a possible health risk...
- Identification of abundant proteins and potential allergens in Culicoides nubeculosus salivary glandsA D Wilson
University of Bristol, School of Clinical Veterinary Science, Langford House, Langford, Bristol BS40 5DU, UK
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 122:94-103. 2008..Mass spectrometry identified two of these allergenic proteins as similar to hyaluronidase and a heavily glycosylated protein of unknown function that have previously been identified in salivary glands of C. sonorensis.
- Prospective randomized study of intensity-modulated radiotherapy on salivary gland function in early-stage nasopharyngeal carcinoma patientsMichael K M Kam
State Key Laboratory in Oncology in South China, Sir Y K Pao Centre for Cancer, Department of Clinical Oncology, Hong Kong Cancer Institute, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
J Clin Oncol 25:4873-9. 2007..This randomized trial compared the rates of delayed xerostomia between two-dimensional radiation therapy (2DRT) and intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) in the treatment of early-stage nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC)...
- Aberrant expression of BAFF by B lymphocytes infiltrating the salivary glands of patients with primary Sjögren's syndromeCapucine Daridon
Laboratory of Immunology, Brest University Medical School Hospital, Brest, France
Arthritis Rheum 56:1134-44. 2007To identify the cells that produce BAFF in the salivary glands of patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome (SS), and to analyze BAFF receptor expression by local T and B lymphocytes.
- Species-specific antigens in salivary glands of phlebotomine sandfliesP Volf
Department of Parasitology, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Parasitology 122:37-41. 2001..halepensis; in SGL from P. perliciosus, the sera from rabbits and hamsters bitten by this species recognized about 8 intense bands while sera from animals bitten by P. halepensis reacted weakly with up to 4 saliva polypeptides...
- Gene expression profiling of minor salivary glands clearly distinguishes primary Sjögren's syndrome patients from healthy control subjectsTrond Ove R Hjelmervik
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Bergen, Broegelmann Research Laboratory, University of Bergen, and Center for Medical Genetics and Molecular Medicine, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Arthritis Rheum 52:1534-44. 2005To identify gene expression signatures in minor salivary glands (MSGs) from patients with primary Sjogren's syndrome (SS).
- The role of neurotrophins related to stress in saliva and salivary glandsJuri Saruta
Department of Craniofacial Growth and Development Dentistry, Division of Orthodontics, Kanagawa Dental College, Kanagawa, Japan
Histol Histopathol 25:1317-30. 2010..Upon further investigation on the influence of salivary glands on plasma BDNF using an acute immobilization stress model, we found that acute immobilization stress lasting ..
- Isolation of tissue progenitor cells from duct-ligated salivary glands of swineShirou Matsumoto
Department of Pediatrics, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Cloning Stem Cells 9:176-90. 2007..The salivary glands retain the ability for frequent regeneration...
- Digestive, salivary, and reproductive organs of Bemisia tabaci (Gennadius) (Hemiptera: Aleyrodidae) B typeM Ghanim
Department of Field Crops and Genetics, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
J Morphol 248:22-40. 2001..In a microscopic analysis of the salivary glands, we have shown that each primary salivary gland is composed of at least 13 cells varying in morphology and ..
- Close relationship between autoimmune pancreatitis and multifocal fibrosclerosisT Kamisawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Gut 52:683-7. 2003..Autoimmune pancreatitis is a unique clinical entity proposed recently, and is sometimes associated with inflammation of other organs...
- Anopheles dirus co-infection with human and monkey malaria parasites in VietnamShusuke Nakazawa
Department of Protozoology, Institute of Tropical Medicine and the Global Center of Excellence Program, Nagasaki University, Japan
Int J Parasitol 39:1533-7. 2009..parasite DNA and specific mRNAs from wild-caught Anopheles dirus mosquitoes was assessed using dried mosquito salivary glands preserved on filter paper...
- The Anopheles gambiae salivary protein gSG6: an anopheline-specific protein with a blood-feeding roleFabrizio Lombardo
Dipartimento di Scienze di Sanità Pubblica, Sezione di Parassitologia, Universita La Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Roma, Italy
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 39:457-66. 2009The Anopheles gambiae salivary gland protein 6 (gSG6) is a small protein specifically found in the salivary glands of adult female mosquitoes...
- Oral sequelae of head and neck radiotherapyA Vissink
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 14:199-212. 2003..g., salivary glands, oral mucosa, bone, dentition, masticatory musculature, and temporomandibular joints...
- The sialotranscriptome of the blood-sucking bug Triatoma brasiliensis (Hemiptera, Triatominae)Adriana Santos
Laboratório de Fisiologia de Insetos Hematófagos, Departamento de Parasitologia ICB, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Caixa Postal 486, 31270 901, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 37:702-12. 2007..Nine Kazal peptides were identified, among them one with high homology to the tabanid vasodilator vasotab, suggesting that the Triatoma vasodilator could be a Kazal protein...
- Expression of CD44 isoforms in normal salivary gland tissue: an immunohistochemical and ultrastructural studyI Fonseca
Departamento de Patologia Morfolólgica, Instituto Portugês de Oncologia de Francisco Gentil, Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Histochem Cell Biol 114:483-8. 2000..The finding of CD44v3 and v6 in myoepithelium of normal salivary glands may argue in favour of the role of these molecules in the regulation of growth and renewal of normal tissues ..
- Morphology and preliminary enzyme characterization of the salivary glands from the predatory bug Podisus nigrispinus (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae)J A Oliveira
Departamento de Biologia Animal, Universidade Federal de Vicosa, Vicosa, MG 36571 000, Brazil
Bull Entomol Res 96:251-8. 2006..Its feeding strategy involves extra-oral digestion and to better understand this process its salivary glands were extracted and subjected to morphological and preliminary enzyme characterization...
- Novel role of CD40 in Fas-dependent apoptosis of cultured salivary epithelial cells from patients with Sjögren's syndromeLi Ping
Kanazawa Medical University, Kahoku gun, Ishikawa Ken, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 52:573-81. 2005..To determine the role of Fas and CD40 in the molecular mechanism of salivary epithelial cell death in Sjogren's syndrome (SS)...
- Chronic sclerosing sialadenitis (Kuttner's tumor): unusual presentation with bilateral involvement of major and minor salivary glandsMario Blanco
Arkadi M Rywlin MD Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Greater Miami, Miami Beach, FL 33140, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 7:25-30. 2003..We report an unusual case of chronic sclerosing sialadenitis, affecting both parotid glands, both submandibular glands, and minor salivary glands of the oral cavity, and explore the immunohistochemical profile of this entity.
- Cell therapy for salivary gland regenerationC Y Lin
Graduate Institute of Clinical Dentistry, School of Dentistry, National Taiwan University
J Dent Res 90:341-6. 2011..that transplantation with bone marrow stem cells or acinar-like cells may help functional regeneration of salivary glands. Bone marrow stem cells were labeled with nanoparticles and directly co-cultured with acinar cells to obtain ..
- In Sjögren's syndrome, B lymphocytes induce epithelial cells of salivary glands into apoptosis through protein kinase C delta activationMarie Michèle Varin
Research Unit Immunology and Pathology, European University of Brittany, and Brest University Medical School Hospital, Brest, France
Autoimmun Rev 11:252-8. 2012..Our results suggest that B lymphocytes infiltrating the SGs of patients with SS could evoke epithelial cell apoptosis...
- Self-organization and branching morphogenesis of primary salivary epithelial cellsCindy Wei
Laboratory of Cell and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Tissue Eng 13:721-35. 2007..These findings provide insights into self-assembly and branching that will facilitate future regeneration strategies in the salivary gland and other organs...
- PHARMACOTHERAPY FOR XEROSTOMIA IN SJOGREN'S SYNDROMESAMUEL HOPKINS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Over time, progressive infiltration of lacrimal and salivary glands by mononuclear cells leads to diminished secretions, with resultant xerostomia (dry mouth) and xeropthalmia (..
- Mechanisms of FGFR2 Signaling in Salivary Gland Branching MorphogenesisVeraragavan P Eswarakumar; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, the lack of salivary glands in Fgf10 or Fgfr2b knockout mice precludes further investigation of branching morphogenesis in these mouse ..
- HCO3- Conductive function of CFTR: Implications to Oral Health & Cystic FibrosisMADIREDDI REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2009Bicarbonate is a vital component of secretions from exocrine glands such as salivary glands, pancreas, duodenum, reproductive organs, sweat glands and the airways...
- HCO3- Conductive function of CFTR: Implications to Oral Health & Cystic FibrosisMADIREDDI REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2010Bicarbonate is a vital component of secretions from exocrine glands such as salivary glands, pancreas, duodenum, reproductive organs, sweat glands and the airways...
- Exploring How HTLV-1 Tax Induces T Cell LeukemiaWarner Greene; Fiscal Year: 2006..of poorly understood autoimmune or inflammatory diseases that affect different end organs including the eye, salivary glands, joints, and muscle...
- IL-4 Signaling Pathway Regulation of Sjogren's SyndromeAMMON PECK; Fiscal Year: 2004..by exocrine dysfunction resulting from the action of1 a chronic autoimmune attack against the lacrimal and salivary glands. It is one of the leading causes of salivary gland inflammation and dysfunction, leading to severe dryness of ..
- Interactions Between Anaplasma Phagocytophilum and Ixodes ScapularisErol Fikrig; Fiscal Year: 2010..that resides in 2 different locations during its life cycle -- mammalian neutrophils and Ixodes scapularis salivary glands. This project investigates whether tick genes that are up- or down-regulated in the presence of A...
- ANTIVIRAL ACTIVITY OF THE IMMUNOSUPPRESSANT LEFLUNOMIDEW Waldman; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Salivary glands, spleen, and lungs will be examined histologically for viral pathology, and assayed for viral load by plaque ..
- REGULATION OF CYSTATIN S GENE EXPRESSIONPHYLLIS SHAW; Fiscal Year: 2002Mammalian salivary glands produce secretions that initiate digestion and bathe and protect the oral cavity...
- The Regulation of Salivary Gland Regeneration by P2Y2 Nucleotide ReceptorsGARY ANDREW WEISMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..To develop techniques for the successful regeneration of salivary glands in vivo, it is first necessary to understand signaling pathways that regulate gland development, which ..
- The Regulation of Salivary Gland Regeneration by P2Y2 Nucleotide ReceptorsGARY WEISMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..To develop techniques for the successful regeneration of salivary glands in vivo, it is first necessary to understand signaling pathways that regulate gland development, which ..
- SODIUM ENTRY INTO AMILORIDE-SENSITIVE EPITHELIACatherine M Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2010..Epithelial sodium channels (ENaC) have been found in other sodium transportinmg epithelia, e.g., salivary glands, colon, bronchial and tracheal epithelia, as well as in many non-epithelial cells, like lymphocytes, neurons ..
- MAXADILAN, A CUTANEOUS VASODILATOR FROM SAND FLIESEthan Lerner; Fiscal Year: 2002Maxadilan is the most potent vasodilator known. It is a novel peptide recently isolated from salivary glands of the sand fly Lutzomyia longipalpis, a vector of the protozoan disease leishmaniasis...
- Oral Immunobiology of MCMV-infected Mouse Salivary GlandsSTEVEN LONDON; Fiscal Year: 2006..In addition, the salivary glands are a major component in the mucosal immune system of the oral cavity that confers antigen-specific immunity ..
- Rescue of radiation-induced salivary gland dysfunction by AktKIRSTEN LIMESAND; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Salivary glands are the site of aberrant apoptosis following head and neck irradiation resulting in severe glandular dysfunction...
- Proteomics of mosquito immune response to malariaKENNETH VERNICK; Fiscal Year: 2002..Sporozoites must migrate within hemolymph and invade the salivary glands in order for transmission to occur...
- Novel Mechanisms of Chronic Inflammation in Sjogren's SyndromeGARY WEISMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..syndrome (SS) is an autoimmune disorder characterized by inflammation and destruction of lacrimal and salivary glands leading to decreased fluid secretion (xerostomia) often associated with lymphocytic infiltration of the ..
- SELECTIVE AGGREGATION AND SORTING OF SALIVARY PROTEINSDouglas Darling; Fiscal Year: 2007..of this research is to determine the mechanisms for sorting and storage of regulated secretory proteins in salivary glands. The answer to this question is important for our understanding of the regulation of protein secretion from ..
- Modeling Dynamics of Salivary Gland Branching MorphogenesisBulent Yener; Fiscal Year: 2010..Existing strategies for engineering salivary glands have been unable to create a complex branched structure or successfully produce saliva-secreting acinar cells,..