Genomes and Genes
Summary: The aftermost permanent tooth on each side in the maxilla and mandible.
Publications292 found, 100 shown here
- Ectopic mandibular third molar in the ramus region: report of a case and literature reviewChun Cheng Wang
Graduate School of Dentistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:155-61. 2008Ectopic mandibular third molar is a rare condition, and information is limited about its causes and characteristics...
- Prognosis of third molar eruption: a comparison of three predictive methodsA Lucchese
School of Dentistry, Department of Pedodontics, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Prog Orthod 4:4-19. 2003Prediction of third molar eruption carries significant prognostic importance. There have been various reports of methods to predict the probability of impaction of these teeth...
- Patients' perception of recovery after third molar surgery following postoperative treatment with moxifloxacin versus amoxicillin and clavulanic acid: a randomized, double-blind, controlled studyJacobo Limeres
Special Needs Unit, School of Medicine and Dentistry, Santiago de Compostela University, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:286-91. 2009To analyze the impact of the postoperative administration of moxifloxacin (MXF) on oral function and quality of life after third molar (TM) surgery.
- Third molar position: reliability of panoramic radiographyYoichi Nakagawa
Second Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Tsurumi University School of Dental Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1303-8. 2007..study was to determine whether panoramic radiographs could predict physical contact between the mandibular third molar and the mandibular canal on limited cone-beam computed tomography, known as dental 3D-CT (3-dimensional ..
- Complications of third molar surgeryGary F Bouloux
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, 1365 B Clifton Road NE, Suite 2300 B, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 19:117-28, vii. 2007..Factors thought to influence the incidence of complications after third molar removal include age, gender, medical history, oral contraceptives, presence of pericoronitis, poor oral hygiene,..
- Cystic changes in dental follicle associated with radiographically normal impacted mandibular third molarG H L Saravana
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, KGF College of Dental Science, Karnataka, India
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:552-3. 2008..We studied 100 patients who had a radiographically normal asymptomatic impacted lower third molar (<2.4mm radiolucency). The incidence of cystic changes in the dental follicle was 46%...
- Effect of third molar surgery on oral health-related quality of life in the first postoperative week using Dutch version of Oral Health Impact Profile-14Arjen van Wijk
Department of Social Dentistry and Behavioural Sciences, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:1026-31. 2009The present study investigated the effect of third molar surgery on oral health-related quality of life, related to pain and clinical variables, in the first postoperative week using the Dutch version of the 14-item Oral Health Impact ..
- Can third molar surgery improve quality of life? A 6-month cohort studyColman McGrath
Faculty of Dentistry, Hong Kong University, Hong Kong, China
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:759-63; discussion 764-5. 2003..patients' perceptions of changes in oral health-related quality of life (OHQOL) over a 6-month period after third molar surgery. Patients and Methods: One hundred patients participated in this prospective study...
- Influence of lower third molar position on the incidence of preoperative complicationsNieves Almendros-Marqués
School of Dentistry, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:725-32. 2006The present study sought to relate the clinical outcome of mandibular third molar impaction surgery to the orthopanoramic radiographically determined position of the affected teeth based on the classifications of Pell and Gregory, and ..
- Panoramic radiographic risk factors for inferior alveolar nerve injury after third molar extractionBart F Blaeser
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:417-21. 2003The purpose of this study was to estimate the association between specific panoramic radiographic signs and inferior alveolar nerve (IAN) injury during mandibular third molar removal.
- Developmental stages of the third molar in Israeli childrenHaim Sarnat
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, TelAviv University, TelAviv, Israel
Pediatr Dent 25:373-7. 2003The purpose of this study was to examine the developmental stages of the third molar in Israeli children, compare its development in boys and girls, in the maxilla and mandible, right to left sides in various age groups, and relate the ..
- Inferior alveolar nerve damage after lower third molar surgical extraction: a prospective study of 1117 surgical extractionsE Valmaseda-Castellón
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Barcelona, Spain
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 92:377-83. 2001..The purpose of this study was to determine the incidence of inferior alveolar nerve (IAN) damage after surgical removal of lower third molars, to identify the causes, and to construct a predictive model to assess the risk of IAN injury...
- Factors predictive of difficulty of mandibular third molar surgeryT Renton
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Guys King s School of Medicine, King s College London
Br Dent J 190:607-10. 2001Historically the difficulty of third molar surgery has been judged using radiologically assessed dental factors specifically tooth morphology and position...
- Assessment of difficulty in third molar surgery--a systematic reviewOladimeji A Akadiri
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:771-4. 2009The aim of this review was to identify the most important variables that determine surgical difficulty of impacted third molar extractions by their consistent showing in previous studies.
- Epinephrine concentration (1:100,000 or 1:200,000) does not affect the clinical efficacy of 4% articaine for lower third molar removal: a double-blind, randomized, crossover studyCarlos F Santos
Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2445-52. 2007This study compared the use of 4% articaine in association with 1:100,000 (10 mug/mL; A100) or 1:200,000 (5 mug/mL; A200) epinephrine in lower third molar removal.
- Use of dental panoramic tomographs to predict the relation between mandibular third molar teeth and the inferior alveolar nerve. Radiological and surgical findings, and clinical outcomeG W Bell
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary, Dumfries DG1 4AP, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:21-7. 2004..To compare preoperative radiological observations from dental panoramic tomographs (DPT), with surgical findings at removal of third molars with respect to the inferior alveolar nerve...
- Evaluation of the buccal vestibule-palatal diffusion of 4% articaine hydrochloride in impacted maxillary third molar extractionsJosé Lacet Lima-Júnior
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Emergency and Trauma Hospital, Joao Pessoa, Paraiba, Brazil
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 14:E129-32. 2009The aim of this study was to evaluate the vestibular-palatal diffusion of 4% Articaine with epinephrine 1:100,000 and 1:200,000, in impacted maxillary third molar extractions, without palatal injection.
- Risk factors associated with injury to the inferior alveolar and lingual nerves following third molar surgery-revisitedWaseem Jerjes
UCLH Head and Neck Centre, Department of Surgery, University College London Medical School, UCL Eastman Dental Institute, London, UK
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 109:335-45. 2010..in determining the likelihood of both permanent inferior alveolar nerve (IAN) and lingual nerve (LN) paresthesia, following third molar surgery. The effect of this and other factors influencing such prevalence are assessed in this study.
- Efficiency of a pendulum appliance for molar distalization related to second and third molar eruption stageGero S M Kinzinger
Department of Orthodontics, University of Aachen, Germany
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 125:8-23. 2004..In patients whose second molars had erupted completely, the degree of tipping was greater again when a third molar bud was located in the direction of movement...
- Pattern of third molar impaction in a Singapore Chinese population: a retrospective radiographic surveyS L Quek
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore, 5 Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119054
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:548-52. 2003..Results were analysed using the Pearson chi2 test. 68.6% of OPGs showed at least one impacted third molar. The frequency was three-fold higher in the mandible (1024/1079=90%) than in the maxilla (306/1077=28%), with a ..
- Delayed-onset infections after lower third molar extraction: a case-control studyRui Figueiredo
School of Dentistry of the University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:97-102. 2007..To identify possible risk factors for delayed-onset infections and to develop a model for explaining the effects of these risk factors on the occurrence of delayed-onset infections in an outpatient clinic...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis in third molar surgery: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial using split-mouth techniqueA Siddiqi
Sir John Walsh Research Institute, School of Dentistry, University of Otago, PO Box 647, Dunedin, New Zealand
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:107-14. 2010The use of prophylactic antibiotics to reduce postoperative complications in third molar surgery remains controversial. The study was a prospective, randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial...
- Quality of life following lower third molar removalM Colorado-Bonnin
Master of Oral Surgery and Implantology, School of Dentistry of the University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:343-7. 2006..quality of life (QoL) and degree of satisfaction among adult outpatients after surgical extraction of a lower third molar under local anaesthesia, and to assess the impact of thorough explanation of the anticipated postoperative ..
- Minor complications after mandibular third molar surgery: type, incidence, and possible preventionJin Cheol Kim
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Sacred Heart Hospital, Hallym University, Kyungki do, Republic of Korea
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:e4-11. 2006The aim of this prospective study was to ascertain the incidence of minor complications after mandibular third molar surgery and to predict the risk of skin ecchymosis or mucosa petechiae related to the usage of an absorbable gelatin ..
- Efficacy of amoxicillin/clavulanic acid in preventing infectious and inflammatory complications following impacted mandibular third molar extractionIciar Arteagoitia
Stomatology Department, University of the Basque Country, Bilbao, Spain
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 100:e11-8. 2005..treated with placebo (Pl) is greater than those treated with antibiotic (Ab) after extraction of an impacted mandibular third molar (M3). Our hypothesis is there are more IC in Pl than in Ab, with a maximum ratio difference of 0.067.
- Oral hygiene and postoperative pain after mandibular third molar surgeryM Penarrocha
Valencia University Medical and Dental School, Spain
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 92:260-4. 2001..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the association between oral hygiene before surgery and pain, inflammation, and trismus after the surgical removal of 190 impacted lower third molars...
- Frequency of trigeminal nerve injuries following third molar removalRichard C Robert
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0440, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:732-5; discussion 736. 2005..oral and maxillofacial surgery reporting of the frequency of temporary and permanent inferior alveolar and lingual nerve damage from lower third molar extraction and injury etiology, and to identify factors associated with injury rates.
- Timing of human mandibular third molar formationH M Liversidge
Dental Institute, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Ann Hum Biol 35:294-321. 2008..The only developing tooth visible radiographically from initiation to root completion is the third molar or wisdom tooth.
- Prophylaxis versus pre-emptive treatment for infective and inflammatory complications of surgical third molar removal: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical trial with sustained release amoxicillin/clavulanic acid (1000/62.5 mg)J M Lacasa
Service of Internal Medicine, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:321-7. 2007..the efficacy of two sustained release amoxicillin/clavulanate regimens in the reduction of infection after third molar extractive surgery...
- Radiographic evaluation of third molar development in Spanish children and young peopleMaría Victoria Bolaños
Department of Childhood Integrated Dentistry, Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Granada, Edificio Máximo, Campus de Cartuja s n, 18071 Granada, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 133:212-9. 2003b>Third molar development was evaluated in 786 young people aged between 4 and 20 years, all patients at the School of Dentistry of the University of Granada...
- Radiographic evaluation of third molar development in relation to chronological age among Turkish children and youthK Orhan
Department of Oral Diagnosis and Radiology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Ankara, 06500 Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Forensic Sci Int 165:46-51. 2007..Hence, it was considered worthwhile to determine the developmental stages of the third molar in a group of Turkish population, to assess chronological age estimation based on the developmental stages, and ..
- Risk factors for third molar extraction difficultySrinivas M Susarla
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:1363-71. 2004The purpose of this study was to measure the difficulty of third molar (M3) extractions and to identify demographic, anatomic, and operative variables associated with extraction difficulty.
- Frequency of agenesis, impaction, angulation, and related pathologic changes of third molar teeth in orthodontic patientsMevlut Celikoglu
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:990-5. 2010The objectives of the present study were to investigate the frequency of impaction, agenesis, angular position, and related pathologic changes of third molar teeth in a group of orthodontic patients.
- The impact of intravenous corticosteroids with third molar surgery in patients at high risk for delayed health-related quality of life and clinical recoveryPaul S Tiwana
Department of Surgery and Hospital Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Lousville, Lousville, KY, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:55-62. 2005To compare recovery for clinical and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) outcomes after third molar surgery in patients predicted to be at risk for delayed recovery, treated with or without intravenous (IV) corticosteroids at surgery.
- Third molar development according to chronological age in populations from Spanish and Magrebian originStella Martin-de las Heras
Department of Forensic Medicine and Forensic Odontology, University of Granada, Avenida de Madrid 11, 18071 Granada, Spain
Forensic Sci Int 174:47-53. 2008..We looked for differences in third molar mineralization (determined with the Demirjian scale) that might serve as age indicators (older versus younger ..
- Third molar root development in relation to chronological age: a large sample sized retrospective studyK Gunst
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Medicine, School of Dentistry, Oral Pathology and Maxillo Facial Surgery, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 7, B 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Forensic Sci Int 136:52-7. 2003..regression formulae for dental age calculation with the chronological age as the independent variable and the third molar developmental stages as dependent variables...
- Assessing postoperative discomfort after third molar surgery: a prospective studyGiovanni Battista Grossi
Department of Oral Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:901-17. 2007The purpose of this study was to identify the risk factors for severe discomfort after mandibular third molar surgery and to assess the validity of the Postoperative Symptom Severity (PoSSe) scale.
- Mandibular third molar removal: risk indicators for extended operation time, postoperative pain, and complicationsIngibjörg S Benediktsdóttir
Faculty of Odontology, University of Iceland, Reykjavik
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 97:438-46. 2004..The aim of this study was to identify risk indicators for extended operation time and postoperative complications after removal of mandibular third molars...
- Morbidity of third molar extraction in patients between 12 and 18 years of ageAngie Virginia Chaparro-Avendaño
Facultad de Odontologia, Universidad de Barcelona, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 10:422-31. 2005An analysis is made of the incidence of complications following third molar surgical extraction in patients between 12 and 18 years of age.
- The American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Age-Related Third Molar StudyRichard H Haug
University of Kentucky, College of Dentistry, 80 Rose St, Changler Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40536 0297, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1106-14. 2005The purpose of this investigation was to assess the frequency of complications of third molar surgery, both intraoperatively and postoperatively, specifically for patients 25 years of age or older.
- The chronology of third molar mineralization in the Austrian population--a contribution to forensic age estimationA Meinl
Department of Anthropology, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Forensic Sci Int 169:161-7. 2007The aim of the present study was to determine the chronology of third molar mineralization and to establish Austrian reference data...
- Assessment of factors associated with surgical difficulty in impacted mandibular third molar extractionOlalekan Micah Gbotolorun
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1977-83. 2007..We also aimed to form an index to measure the difficulty of removal of the impacted molars preoperatively...
- Evaluation of Pederson index as an instrument for predicting difficulty of third molar surgical extractionO A Akadiri
Faculty of Dentistry, College of Medicine, University College Hospital, University of Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
Niger Postgrad Med J 16:105-8. 2009This study was intended to assess the clinical reliability of the Pederson index as an instrument for preoperative determination of surgical difficulty in third molar surgery.
- A comparison of the clinical anesthetic efficacy of 4% articaine and 0.5% bupivacaine (both with 1:200,000 epinephrine) for lower third molar removalLeonardo V L Gregorio
Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:19-28. 2008This study compared the clinical efficacy of 4% articaine (A200) and 0.5% bupivacaine (B200), both with 1:200,000 epinephrine, for lower third molar removal.
- Panoramic radiographic findings as predictors of inferior alveolar nerve exposure following third molar extractionMichael Sedaghatfar
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:3-7. 2005The aim of this study was to estimate the sensitivity and specificity of panoramic radiographic findings in relation to inferior alveolar nerve (IAN) exposure after mandibular third molar (M3) extraction.
- Effectiveness of dexamethasone and low-power laser in minimizing oedema after third molar surgery: a clinical trialA Markovic
Clinic of Oral Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Dr Subotica 4, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:226-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness of low-power laser (LPL) and dexamethasone after surgical removal of impacted lower third molars under local anaesthesia (2% lidocaine/epinephrine)...
- Types, frequencies, and risk factors for complications after third molar extractionChi H Bui
Department of Orthodontics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1379-89. 2003The study objective was to identify the types, frequency, and risk factors for complications after third molar (M3) extractions.
- Mandibular fracture after third molar removalM Krimmel
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Tubingen, Germany
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 58:1110-2. 2000Mandibular fracture after impacted lower third molar removal is a rare, but major, complication. The factors leading to a mandibular fracture secondary to third molar removal are analyzed retrospectively.
- Changes in life quality following third molar surgery--the immediate postoperative periodC McGrath
Associate Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, 34 Hospital Road, Hong Kong SAR, China
Br Dent J 194:265-8; discussion 261. 2003This study describes patients' perceptions of changes in oral health related quality of life (OHQOL) in the early postoperative period following third molar surgery.
- Bupivacaine versus lidocaine for third molar surgery: a double-blind, randomized, crossover studyG F Bouloux
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Sydney, Australia
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 57:510-4; discussion 515. 1999The aim of this study was to compare the clinical use of bupivacaine to lidocaine in third molar surgery.
- Clinical trial with bromelain in third molar exodontiaF Inchingolo
Department of Dental Sciences and Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Bari, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 14:771-4. 2010..The aim of the present study is to assess the efficacy of bromelain in controlling the edema and its related pain in the inflamed area after upper third molar exodontia.
- Correlation of darkening of impacted mandibular third molar root on digital panoramic images with cone beam computed tomography findingsW Tantanapornkul
Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Yushima 1 5 45, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 38:11-6. 2009Darkening of the lower third molar root on panoramic images is known to indicate an intimate relationship between the root and mandibular canal...
- Bupivacaine as pre-emptive analgesia in third molar surgery: Randomised controlled trialM Sharif Nayyar
National Maxillofacial Unit, Registrar Maxillofacial Unit, St James Hospital, Dublin 8, Republic of Ireland
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:501-3. 2006..A visual analogue scale was used to measure the extent of postoperative pain. There was a significant reduction (p = 0.05) in postoperative pain on the injected side at 6, 12, and 72 h and an overall reduction in pain up to 7 days...
- Effect of submucosal injection of dexamethasone on postoperative discomfort after third molar surgery: a prospective studyGiovanni Battista Grossi
Department of Oral Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2218-26. 2007The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of submucosal administration of dexamethasone sodium phosphate on discomfort after mandibular third molar surgery.
- Intra-oral removal of ectopic third molar in the mandibular condyleK S Gadre
Ruby Hall Clinic, Pune, India
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:294-6. 2010..Most have been treated using an extra-oral or endoscopic approach. The management of this condition using an intra-oral approach (removal of this tooth and maintaining the anatomy of the condyle) is described in two case reports...
- The impact of third molar symptoms, pain, and swelling on oral health-related quality of lifeGary D Slade
Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, Dental School, University of Adelaide, Australia
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:1118-24. 2004..This study was designed to assess the impact of "pain and swelling" associated with third molars on patients' quality of life before surgery...
- Corticosteroids reduce postoperative morbidity after third molar surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysisMichael R Markiewicz
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1881-94. 2008The purpose of this study was to apply meta-analytical methods to measure the effect of corticosteroids (CS) on edema, trismus, and pain at early and late postoperative periods after third molar (M3) removal.
- Mandibular third molar autotransplantation--literature review with clinical casesRui Amaral Mendes
Department of Oral Surgery, Faculty of Dental Medicine, University of Porto, Portugal
J Can Dent Assoc 70:761-6. 2004..Provided that the apices of the mandibular third molar are immature, the immediate replacement of a lost or compromised tooth usually ensures a good outcome...
- Infratemporal and submasseteric infection following extraction of a non-infected maxillary third molarJ Gallagher
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The School of Dentistry, Royal Victoria Hospital, Grosvenor Road, Belfast, BT12 6BP
Br Dent J 194:307-9. 2003..patient developed a large submasseteric abscess following the uneventful extraction of a non-infected maxillary third molar under local anaesthesia with intravenous sedation...
- Dental age estimation utilizing third molar development: A review of principles, methods, and population studies used in the United StatesJames M Lewis
Center for Education and Research in Forensics, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Forensic Sci Int 201:79-83. 2010..methodology, and population data of the most commonly used technique in the United States, the analysis of the third molar development based on modified Demirjian staging...
- Third molar agenesis in Down syndromeJens Fog Lomholt
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Odontol Scand 60:151-4. 2002The frequency, gender, and maxillary/mandibular occurrences of third molar agenesis have been studied in a Danish population of Down syndrome individuals (39 F and 31 M)...
- Evaluation of gustatory function after third molar removalU K Akal
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Ankara, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 33:564-8. 2004..05) but recovered and reach to preoperative values 6 months after surgery. The results showed that there were no significant changes in gustatory function after third molar surgery.
- Risk factors for inflammatory complications following third molar surgery in adultsSung Kiang Chuang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:2213-8. 2008To estimate the frequency of inflammatory complications (surgical site infection and alveolar osteitis) following third molar (M3) extraction and identify risk factors for such complications.
- Impacted lower third molar fused with a supernumerary tooth--diagnosis and treatment planning using cone-beam computed tomographyOsny Ferreira-Junior
Department of Stomatology, Dental School of Bauru, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Oral Sci 1:224-8. 2009This paper reported a case of fusion between an impacted third molar and a supernumerary tooth, in which a surgical intervention was carried out, with the objective of removing the dental elements...
- Third molar influence on dental arch crowdingIwona Niedzielska
Department and Clinic of Maxillofacial Surgery, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
Eur J Orthod 27:518-23. 2005..Using the DPT, the ratio of retromolar space to the width of the crown of the third molar was calculated using the method originally described by Olive and Basford and later modified by Ganss (Ganss ..
- Surgical outcomes for suture-less surgery in 366 impacted third molar patientsPeter D Waite
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:669-73. 2006The purpose of this study is to identify surgical outcomes in third molar surgery when no sutures are used for primary closure.
- A randomized observer blind comparison of bilateral facial ice pack therapy with no ice therapy following third molar surgeryA J van der Westhuijzen
Department of Maxillo Facial and Oral Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:281-6. 2005..facial ice packs with no cold therapy in reducing pain, swelling and trismus during the first 24 h following third molar surgery...
- Rapid cystic development in relation with an impacted lower third molar: a case reportC H Chye
Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 34:130-3. 2005..The impacted third molar and second molar associated with the lesion were also extracted...
- Influence of primary and secondary closure of surgical wound after impacted mandibular third molar removal on postoperative pain and swelling--a comparative and split mouth studyAnil Kumar Danda
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:309-12. 2010..The purpose of the present study was to compare the influence of primary and secondary closure of the surgical wound on postoperative pain and swelling after removal of impacted mandibular third molars...
- Effectiveness of clinical practice guideline implementation on lower third molar management in improving clinical decision-making: a randomized controlled trialWil J M van der Sanden
Department of Preventive and Restorative Dentistry, College of Dental Science, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Oral Sci 113:349-54. 2005..The knowledge of dentists regarding asymptomatic mandibular third molar management was found to increase significantly in the intervention group as compared to the control group...
- Randomized, double-blind study of effectiveness of intra-alveolar application of chlorhexidine gel in reducing incidence of alveolar osteitis and bleeding complications in mandibular third molar surgery in patients with bleeding disordersDaniel Torres-Lagares
Oral Surgery Department, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:1322-6. 2010..The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the effectiveness of the bioadhesive 0.2% CHX gel in reducing the incidence of impacted third molar postextraction AO in patients with bleeding disorders.
- Finite element analysis of the human mandible to assess the effect of removing an impacted third molarAttila Szucs
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Can Dent Assoc 76:a72. 2010..The aim was to analyze the effects of removing various amounts of bone around an impacted mandibular third molar and to predict the possibility of iatrogenic fracture.
- Estimating third molar extraction difficulty: a comparison of subjective and objective factorsSrinivas M Susarla
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Massachusetts General Hosital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:427-34. 2005The purpose of this study was to compare and contrast subjective and objective assessments of variables associated with third molar (M3) extraction difficulty.
- Isolation and characterization of stem cells derived from human third molar tooth germs of young adults: implications in neo-vascularization, osteo-, adipo- and neurogenesisM E Yalvac
Department of Genetics and Bioengineering, College of Engineering and Architecture, Yeditepe University, Kayisdagi, Istanbul, Turkey
Pharmacogenomics J 10:105-13. 2010..In addition, these multipotential hTGSCs could be important stem cell sources for autologous transplantation...
- Position of the impacted third molar in relation to the mandibular canal. Diagnostic accuracy of cone beam computed tomography compared with panoramic radiographyH Ghaeminia
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:964-71. 2009..tomography (CBCT) compared to panoramic radiography in determining the anatomical position of the impacted third molar in relation with the mandibular canal...
- Third molar removal: an overview of indications, imaging, evaluation, and assessment of riskRobert D Marciani
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, PO Box 670558, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0558, USA
Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 19:1-13, v. 2007Asymptomatic third molars may have associated periodontal pathology that may not be limited to the third molar region and have a negative impact on systemic health...
- Influence of two different flap designs on incidence of pain, swelling, trismus, and alveolar osteitis in the week following third molar surgeryD Glenn Kirk
New Zealand Defence Force, Linton, New Zealand
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:e1-6. 2007..To investigate the influence of flap design on postoperative trismus, pain, and swelling...
- Multipotent cells from the human third molar: feasibility of cell-based therapy for liver diseaseEtsuko Ikeda
Research Institute for Cell Engineering RICE, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, 3 11 46 Nakoji, Amagasaki, Hyogo 661 0974, Japan
Differentiation 76:495-505. 2008..study, we identified a novel stem cell, which we named tooth germ progenitor cells (TGPCs), from discarded third molar, commonly called as wisdom teeth...
- Effectiveness of chlorhexidine gel versus chlorhexidine rinse in reducing alveolar osteitis in mandibular third molar surgeryPilar Hita-Iglesias
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0018, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:441-5. 2008..The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of chlorhexidine gel versus a chlorhexidine rinse in reducing postoperative alveolar osteitis after the extraction of mandibular third molars...
- Globular radiopacity around the apex of an impacted maxillary third molarEmmanuel Stavrou
University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:594-8. 2007
- Perioperative auricular electroacupuncture has no effect on pain and analgesic consumption after third molar tooth extractionAndrea Michalek-Sauberer
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care Medicine B, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna General Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 104:542-7. 2007..electroacupuncture (AE) on pain and analgesic drug consumption in the first 48 h after unilateral mandibular third molar tooth extraction under local anesthesia in a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study in ..
- Inferior alveolar nerve injury and surgical difficulty prediction in third molar surgery: the role of dental panoramic tomographyW Jerjes
University College London Hospitals London, England
J Clin Dent 17:122-30. 2006The purpose of this study was to evaluate the relationship between preoperative panoramic radiological findings and postoperative inferior alveolar nerve paresthesia following third molar surgery, and to assess the surgical difficulty.
- Does prophylactic administration of systemic antibiotics prevent postoperative inflammatory complications after third molar surgery?Leslie R Halpern
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:177-85. 2007To estimate and compare the frequencies of inflammatory complications after third molar (M3) surgery in subjects receiving intravenous prophylactic antibiotics or saline placebo.
- A comparative study of the effect of using a rubber drain on postoperative discomfort following lower third molar surgeryFelix Nzube Chukwuneke
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Nigeria, Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:341-4. 2008..was to evaluate the effect of using a rubber drain on postoperative pain, swelling and trismus after lower third molar surgery...
- The piezoelectric and rotatory osteotomy technique in impacted third molar surgery: comparison of postoperative recoveryFrancesco Sortino
Department of Medical Surgery Specialities, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:2444-8. 2008..The aim of this study was the comparison of postoperative outcome in mandibular impacted third molars treated by piezoelectric surgery or by rotatory osteotomy technique...
- Mandibular third molar removal in young patients: an evaluation of 2 different flap designsGiuseppe Monaco
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:15-21. 2009To evaluate the influence of 2 different flap designs on periodontal healing and postoperative complications, after inferior third molar removal in young patients.
- The use of corticosteroids and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medication for the management of pain and inflammation after third molar surgery: a review of the literatureKing Kim
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Nova Southeastern University, Broward General Medical Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 107:630-40. 2009..This article addresses the use of NSAIDs and corticosteroids after third molar surgery, along with a review of the literature, which is incorporated to provide practitioners helpful, quick, ..
- Identification of risk factors for short-term morbidity in third molar surgeryO A Akadiri
Dpt of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Odontostomatol Trop 31:5-10. 2008..The study was designed to identify preoperative variables that may constitute important risk factors for greater degree of facial swelling, pain and trismus...
- Post-operative sequelae of lower third molar removal: a literature review and pilot study on the effect of Covomycin DS P Van Eeden
John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington, Oxford, UK
SADJ 61:154-9. 2006Pain, swelling and dry socket formation commonly follow third molar surgery...
- Impact of topical minocycline with third molar surgery on clinical recovery and health-related quality of life outcomesMary F Stavropoulos
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1059-65. 2006Compare recovery for clinical and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) outcomes after third molar surgery in patients treated with or without topical minocycline at surgery.
- Comparative study of the effect of tube drainage versus methylprednisolone after third molar surgeryMelike Ordulu
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Istanbul University, 34390, Capa Istanbul, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:e96-100. 2006The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of tube drainage versus a single dose of methylprednisolone (MP) on maximal mouth opening, facial swelling, and pain after third molar surgery.
- Evaluation of antibiotic prophylaxis in reducing postoperative infection after mandibular third molar extraction in young patientsGiuseppe Monaco
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:1467-72. 2009This study evaluated the influence of antibiotic prophylaxis on postoperative complications after inferior third molar removal in young patients.
- Ectopic third molar in condylar regionJ I Salmeron
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:398-400. 2008Inclusion of the third molar is relatively frequent in oral and maxillofacial surgery, but ectopic placement is quite rare. Only a few cases of third molar inclusion in the condyle region of the mandible have been reported...
- Pain and analgesic response after third molar extraction and other postsurgical painJodie Barden
Pain Research and Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, The Churchill, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Pain 107:86-90. 2004..Systematic difference in the estimate of analgesic efficacy between dental and postsurgical pain models remains unproven, and, on balance, no major difference is likely...
- Differences in postoperative morbidity rates, including infection and dry socket, and differences in the healing process after mandibular third molar surgery in patients receiving 1-day or 3-day prophylaxis with lenampicillinTakashi Yoshii
Department of Dentistry, Hyogo Prefectural Staff Health Center, 5 10 1 Shimoyamate dori, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 8567, Japan
J Infect Chemother 8:87-93. 2002The aim of this study was to examine the effect of antibiotic prophylaxis for mandibular third molar surgery from the viewpoint of the duration of administration...
- Effect of dexamethasone and dipyrone on lingual and inferior alveolar nerve hypersensitivity following third molar extractions: preliminary reportRobert P Barron
Department of Oral Medicine, Hebrew University School of Dental Medicine, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
J Orofac Pain 18:62-8. 2004To study the effect of dexamethazone and dipyrone on sensory changes in the innervation territories of the inferior alveolar, infraorbital, and lingual nerves caused by third molar extractions.
- Effects of 0.2% chlorhexidine gluconate and amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid on the prevention of alveolar osteitis following mandibular third molar extractionsCagri Delilbasi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty of Dentistry, Ankara University, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 94:301-4. 2002..2% chlorhexidine gluconate and amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid combination as a prophylactic therapy for the prevention of alveolar osteitis after mandibular third molar extractions and to investigate adverse reactions to chlorhexidine.
- The accuracy and precision of third molar development as an indicator of chronological age in HispanicsAnn C Solari
Dental Branch, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 77030, USA
J Forensic Sci 47:531-5. 2002The accuracy and precision of chronological age estimation based on the stages of third molar tooth development was studied in a sample of 679 radiographs from individuals of Hispanic origin. The age range was 14.0 to 25.0 years...
- Comparison of the effects of 2 doses of methylprednisolone on pain, swelling, and trismus after third molar surgeryYakup Ustun
Cukurova University, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Adana, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96:535-9. 2003The aim of this study was to compare the effects of intravenous administration of 1.5 mg/kg and 3 mg/kg of methylprednisolone sodium succinate (MP) on pain, swelling, and trismus after third molar surgery.
- Preoperative assessment of the relationship between the mandibular third molar and the mandibular canal by axial computed tomography with coronal and sagittal reconstructionHidenobu Maegawa
Fukui Medical University, Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, Fukui, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96:639-46. 2003We sought to evaluate the relationship between the mandibular third molar and the mandibular canal by using axial computed tomography with coronal and sagittal reconstruction for third molar surgery.
- [Evaluation of postoperative mucosa and skin temperature after surgery for impacted third molar]F Sortino
Cattedra di Chirurgia Speciale Odontostomatologica, Corso di Laurea in Odontoiatria e Protesi Dentaria, Universita degli Studi di Catania, Catania, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 52:393-9. 2003Surgery for impacted third molar is often characterized, in the postoperative period, by pain, trismus and swelling...
- ESTROGEN MODULATION OF HUMAN NOCICEPTORSKenneth M Hargreaves; Fiscal Year: 2010..tissue (evaluating substance P (SP) release from neuron terminals innervating dental pulp from extracted third molar teeth)...
- CANDIDATE GENES FOR DGI-II/IIIMary Macdougall; Fiscal Year: 1999..To test these hypotheses, a human third molar cDNA library will be constructed in order to isolate the human cDNAs for DMP1, DSP and DPP and Ambn...
- Ethnic Differences in Acute Pain and Analgesic ResponseBarbara Hastie; Fiscal Year: 2007..200 African American and white adults (age range 18-55) who undergo third molar extraction will be included in this study...
- Dental Stem Cells and Tooth Tissue EngineeringPamela Yelick; Fiscal Year: 2009..To address this hypothesis, in the studies proposed here we will characterize 1) naturally formed third molar wisdom tooth extracellular matrix (ECM) components and organization, and 2) also examine the use of two novel ..
- PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH--ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERTHOMAS DODSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..This award leverages the PI's skills and talents by providing protected time to mentor additional trainees and to conduct high quality patient-oriented research. ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--Study Chair applicationJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2007..Little research has been done on methods to prevent tooth decay in adults. This study would test how well a lozenge to be taken several times a day works to prevent tooth decay in adults who are prone to tooth decay. ..
- Planning Grant for Xylitol Trial in Caries-Active AdultsJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Dentin/Adhesive Interface Structure/Property ImagingYong Wang; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- AUTOMATED CLOSED SYSTEM FOR DMSO REMOVAL FROM PERIPHERAL BLOOD STEM CELLSERIK WOODS; Fiscal Year: 2007..The goal of this research is to produce a device to easily remove DMSO from PBSC before they are transplanted, increasing effectiveness of the cells and reducing potential complications. ..
- Molecular/Mechanical Imaging of Dentin Bonding SubstrateYong Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results from this work will provide critical, new insight into failure mechanisms at the dentin/adhesive interface; failure that can ultimately lead to premature breakdown of the composite restoration. ..
- A NOVEL FROZEN STORAGE SYSTEM FOR CORD BLOOD STEM CELLSERIK WOODS; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Methyl Mercury Evaluation in Dental Waste WaterJames Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2003..Hypothesis: Element mercury released in DWW is converted to Hg(lI) and then in more limited amounts to methyl-mercury by specific biofilm bacterial species in the Dental sewage pipes. ..
- EXPANSION OF PANCREATIC ISLETS USING A NOVEL BIOMATERIALERIK WOODS; Fiscal Year: 2002..who will serve as their Phase III partner for both of these products. These products will have importance in enhancing islet transplantation as a treatment and/or cure for type I diabetes. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Not available ..
- Clinical and Molecular Evaluation of Cancer Therapy Induced MucositisSharon Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Demonstration of safety and tolerability will provide a basis to test further this route of administration. Hence, this proposal holds promise for clinical application in a relatively short period. ..
- Recombinant Amelogenin Matrices for Apatite NanofibersStefan Habelitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Importantly, comprehending nanoscale control over this complex process will provide a basis for development of novel methods for mineralized tissue repair. ..
- Aging and Fatigue Crack Growth in DentinDwayne Arola; Fiscal Year: 2007..These achievements should reduce the incidence of restorative failures associated with tooth fracture, resulting in billions of dollars in savings of health care costs, as well as a reduction in human suffering. ..
- Recombinant Amelogenin Matrices for Apatite NanofibersSTEFAN FRIEDRICH HABELITZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Importantly, comprehending nanoscale control over this complex process will provide a basis for development of novel methods for mineralized tissue repair. ..
- Neutrophils and Periodontitis in DiabetesThomas Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies have the potential of leading to better methods of treating periodontal disease and perhaps other complications of diabetes. ..
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- ORAL HEALTH OF OLDER TYPE 1 DIABETIC PATIENTSPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2003..This overall plan will permit us to understand the etiology of these complications and to define specific subpopulations and risk factors appropriate for future prospective oral health prevention and intervention trials. ..
- Semi-Parametric Survival Methods in Dental ResearchSung Kiang Chuang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The specific analytic issues addressed are generalizable to patient-oriented dental research as many studies using multiple, correlated observations per patient, i.e. probing depths, tooth loss. ..
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Microbiology/Immunology of Periodontal Disease in T1DMPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..An integrated multidisciplinary effort provides significant data collection capabilities essential for understanding the complex multifactorial etiology of periodontal disease in Type 1 diabetes. ..
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Trigeminal Neuropathic Pain MechanismsMichael Henry; Fiscal Year: 2006..Identification of specific sodium channel alterations after injury may help develop more selective treatments for neuropathic pain. ..
- Sodium Channel Expression in Human TeethMichael Henry; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Sensory Re-training following Orthognathic SurgeryCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our primary focus will be on the patient's perception of the negative impact of altered sensation on daily life. ..
- Recombinant Amelogenin Matrices for Apatite NanofibersStefan Habelitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Importantly, comprehending nanoscale control over this complex process will provide a basis for development of novel methods for mineralized tissue repair. ..
- Health Risks of Problem-Oriented Dental AttendersYANFANG REN; Fiscal Year: 2007..This is particularly important as nearly 40% of the general population meet the definition of POAs and many of them may not have a regular source of medical care. ..