Genomes and Genes
Summary: The aftermost permanent tooth on each side in the maxilla and mandible.
Publications257 found, 100 shown here
- The surgical removal of mandibular third molars: a study in decision makingAnwar B Bataineh
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid
Quintessence Int 33:613-7. 2002..The aim of this study was to investigate and analyze the angulation of and the various indications for removal of mandibular third molars in Jordanians as a representative Arab sample...
- Panoramic radiographic predictors of mandibular third molar eruptionIwona Anna Niedzielska
Silesian Medical Academy, Maxillofacial Surgery, Tychy, Poland
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:154-8; discussion 159. 2006b>Third molar (M3) eruption can be problematic. According to some orthodontic surgeons, the teeth are capable of aggravating the average crowding level in the dental arch...
- Prevalence of commonly found pathoses associated with mandibular impacted third molars based on panoramic radiographs in Turkish populationHidayet Burak Polat
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:e41-7. 2008The objective was to determine the association between commonly found pathologic conditions and angulations and impaction depths of lower third molar teeth.
- Effectiveness of dexamethasone and low-power laser in minimizing oedema after third molar surgery: a clinical trialA Markovic
Clinic of Oral Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Dr Subotica 4, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:226-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness of low-power laser (LPL) and dexamethasone after surgical removal of impacted lower third molars under local anaesthesia (2% lidocaine/epinephrine)...
- Types, frequencies, and risk factors for complications after third molar extractionChi H Bui
Department of Orthodontics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1379-89. 2003OBJECTIVES: The study objective was to identify the types, frequency, and risk factors for complications after third molar (M3) extractions...
- Factors predictive of difficulty of mandibular third molar surgeryT Renton
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Guys King s School of Medicine, King s College London
Br Dent J 190:607-10. 2001Historically the difficulty of third molar surgery has been judged using radiologically assessed dental factors specifically tooth morphology and position...
- Ectopic mandibular third molar in the ramus region: report of a case and literature reviewChun Cheng Wang
Graduate School of Dentistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:155-61. 2008Ectopic mandibular third molar is a rare condition, and information is limited about its causes and characteristics...
- Panoramic radiographic findings as predictors of inferior alveolar nerve exposure following third molar extractionMichael Sedaghatfar
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:3-7. 2005..of panoramic radiographic findings in relation to inferior alveolar nerve (IAN) exposure after mandibular third molar (M3) extraction. METHODS: The study used a retrospective cohort model...
- The impact of intravenous corticosteroids with third molar surgery in patients at high risk for delayed health-related quality of life and clinical recoveryPaul S Tiwana
Department of Surgery and Hospital Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Lousville, Lousville, KY, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:55-62. 2005PURPOSE: To compare recovery for clinical and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) outcomes after third molar surgery in patients predicted to be at risk for delayed recovery, treated with or without intravenous (IV) corticosteroids at ..
- Inferior alveolar nerve injury and surgical difficulty prediction in third molar surgery: the role of dental panoramic tomographyW Jerjes
University College London Hospitals London, England
J Clin Dent 17:122-30. 2006The purpose of this study was to evaluate the relationship between preoperative panoramic radiological findings and postoperative inferior alveolar nerve paresthesia following third molar surgery, and to assess the surgical difficulty.
- Does prophylactic administration of systemic antibiotics prevent postoperative inflammatory complications after third molar surgery?Leslie R Halpern
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:177-85. 2007To estimate and compare the frequencies of inflammatory complications after third molar (M3) surgery in subjects receiving intravenous prophylactic antibiotics or saline placebo.
- Multipotent cells from the human third molar: feasibility of cell-based therapy for liver diseaseEtsuko Ikeda
Research Institute for Cell Engineering RICE, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, 3 11 46 Nakoji, Amagasaki, Hyogo 661 0974, Japan
Differentiation 76:495-505. 2008..study, we identified a novel stem cell, which we named tooth germ progenitor cells (TGPCs), from discarded third molar, commonly called as wisdom teeth...
- Perioperative auricular electroacupuncture has no effect on pain and analgesic consumption after third molar tooth extractionAndrea Michalek-Sauberer
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care Medicine B, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna General Hospital, Vienna, Austria
Anesth Analg 104:542-7. 2007..electroacupuncture (AE) on pain and analgesic drug consumption in the first 48 h after unilateral mandibular third molar tooth extraction under local anesthesia in a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study in ..
- Globular radiopacity around the apex of an impacted maxillary third molarEmmanuel Stavrou
University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:594-8. 2007
- Surgical removal of a dislocated lower third molar from the condyle region: case reportA Wassouf
Department of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery at University Hospital of Zurich, Switzerland
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 113:416-20. 2003Migration of dislocated lower third molar into the condylar region is quite rare. Attention should be taken to avoid condyle fracture.
- Sagittal split osteotomy in removal of impacted third molarAlberto Toffanin
Department of Dentistry and Maxillofacial Surgery, P.F Calvi General Hospital of Noale, Venice, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:638-40. 2003
- Assessing postoperative discomfort after third molar surgery: a prospective studyGiovanni Battista Grossi
Department of Oral Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:901-17. 2007The purpose of this study was to identify the risk factors for severe discomfort after mandibular third molar surgery and to assess the validity of the Postoperative Symptom Severity (PoSSe) scale.
- Marginal flap versus paramarginal flap in impacted third molar surgery: a prospective studyMaria Mercedes Suarez-Cunqueiro
Department of Oral and Craniomaxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Freiburg, Albert-Ludwigs-University, Germany
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 95:403-8. 2003..study was carried out to compare 2 flap designs-marginal and paramarginal-that are used during impacted third molar surgery...
- Influence of two different flap designs on incidence of pain, swelling, trismus, and alveolar osteitis in the week following third molar surgeryD Glenn Kirk
New Zealand Defence Force, Linton, New Zealand
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:e1-6. 2007..To investigate the influence of flap design on postoperative trismus, pain, and swelling...
- Assessment of factors associated with surgical difficulty in impacted mandibular third molar extractionOlalekan Micah Gbotolorun
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1977-83. 2007..We also aimed to form an index to measure the difficulty of removal of the impacted molars preoperatively...
- Effects of 0.2% chlorhexidine gluconate and amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid on the prevention of alveolar osteitis following mandibular third molar extractionsCagri Delilbasi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty of Dentistry, Ankara University, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 94:301-4. 2002..2% chlorhexidine gluconate and amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid combination as a prophylactic therapy for the prevention of alveolar osteitis after mandibular third molar extractions and to investigate adverse reactions to chlorhexidine.
- Comparison of the effects of 2 doses of methylprednisolone on pain, swelling, and trismus after third molar surgeryYakup Ustun
Cukurova University, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Adana, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96:535-9. 2003The aim of this study was to compare the effects of intravenous administration of 1.5 mg/kg and 3 mg/kg of methylprednisolone sodium succinate (MP) on pain, swelling, and trismus after third molar surgery.
- Preoperative assessment of the relationship between the mandibular third molar and the mandibular canal by axial computed tomography with coronal and sagittal reconstructionHidenobu Maegawa
Fukui Medical University, Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, Fukui, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 96:639-46. 2003OBJECTIVE: We sought to evaluate the relationship between the mandibular third molar and the mandibular canal by using axial computed tomography with coronal and sagittal reconstruction for third molar surgery...
- [Evaluation of postoperative mucosa and skin temperature after surgery for impacted third molar]F Sortino
Cattedra di Chirurgia Speciale Odontostomatologica, Corso di Laurea in Odontoiatria e Protesi Dentaria, , Catania, Italy
Minerva Stomatol 52:393-9. 2003Surgery for impacted third molar is often characterized, in the postoperative period, by pain, trismus and swelling...
- Rapid cystic development in relation with an impacted lower third molar: a case reportC H Chye
Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 34:130-3. 2005..The impacted third molar and second molar associated with the lesion were also extracted...
- A randomized observer blind comparison of bilateral facial ice pack therapy with no ice therapy following third molar surgeryA J van der Westhuijzen
Department of Maxillo Facial and Oral Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:281-6. 2005..facial ice packs with no cold therapy in reducing pain, swelling and trismus during the first 24 h following third molar surgery...
- Estimating third molar extraction difficulty: a comparison of subjective and objective factorsSrinivas M Susarla
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Massachusetts General Hosital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:427-34. 2005..of this study was to compare and contrast subjective and objective assessments of variables associated with third molar (M3) extraction difficulty...
- Effectiveness of clinical practice guideline implementation on lower third molar management in improving clinical decision-making: a randomized controlled trialWil J M van der Sanden
Department of Preventive and Restorative Dentistry, College of Dental Science, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Oral Sci 113:349-54. 2005..The knowledge of dentists regarding asymptomatic mandibular third molar management was found to increase significantly in the intervention group as compared to the control group...
- The impact of third molar symptoms, pain, and swelling on oral health-related quality of lifeGary D Slade
Australian Research Centre for Population Oral Health, Dental School, University of Adelaide, Australia
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:1118-24. 2004..Questionnaires administered presurgery assessed patients' medical and dental history, their reasons for seeking third molar removal, and sociodemographic characteristics...
- Quality of life following lower third molar removalM Colorado-Bonnin
Master of Oral Surgery and Implantology, School of Dentistry of the University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:343-7. 2006..quality of life (QoL) and degree of satisfaction among adult outpatients after surgical extraction of a lower third molar under local anaesthesia, and to assess the impact of thorough explanation of the anticipated postoperative ..
- Radiographic survey of third molar development in relation to chronological age among Japanese juvenilesSzilvia Arany
Division of Forensic Sciences, Department of Social Medicine, Akita University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Hondo, Akita 010, Japan
J Forensic Sci 49:534-8. 2004The aim of the present study was to establish Japanese reference material on the third molar development of Japanese juveniles for forensic application...
- Surgical outcomes for suture-less surgery in 366 impacted third molar patientsPeter D Waite
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294 0007, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:669-73. 2006The purpose of this study is to identify surgical outcomes in third molar surgery when no sutures are used for primary closure.
- Impact of topical minocycline with third molar surgery on clinical recovery and health-related quality of life outcomesMary F Stavropoulos
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1059-65. 2006PURPOSE: Compare recovery for clinical and health-related quality of life (HRQOL) outcomes after third molar surgery in patients treated with or without topical minocycline at surgery...
- Effect of dexamethasone and dipyrone on lingual and inferior alveolar nerve hypersensitivity following third molar extractions: preliminary reportRobert P Barron
Department of Oral Medicine, Hebrew University School of Dental Medicine, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
J Orofac Pain 18:62-8. 2004To study the effect of dexamethazone and dipyrone on sensory changes in the innervation territories of the inferior alveolar, infraorbital, and lingual nerves caused by third molar extractions.
- Post-operative sequelae of lower third molar removal: a literature review and pilot study on the effect of Covomycin DS P Van Eeden
John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington, Oxford, UK
SADJ 61:154-9. 2006Pain, swelling and dry socket formation commonly follow third molar surgery...
- Pattern of third molar impaction in a Singapore Chinese population: a retrospective radiographic surveyS L Quek
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore, 5 Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119054
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:548-52. 2003..Results were analysed using the Pearson chi2 test. 68.6% of OPGs showed at least one impacted third molar. The frequency was three-fold higher in the mandible (1024/1079=90%) than in the maxilla (306/1077=28%), with a ..
- Comparative study of the effect of a tube drain in impacted lower third molar surgeryPaulo Roberto Ferreira Cerqueira
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental School of Caruaru, Pernambuco, Brazil
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:57-61. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of the use of a tube drain in impacted lower third molar surgery...
- Postoperative prophylactic antibiotic treatment in third molar surgery--a necessity?Paul W Poeschl
University Hospital for Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Vienna Medical School, Vienna, Austria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:3-8; discussion 9. 2004..We evaluated the need for prophylactic postoperative oral antibiotic treatment in the removal of asymptomatic third molars...
- Effect of submucosal injection of dexamethasone on postoperative discomfort after third molar surgery: a prospective studyGiovanni Battista Grossi
Department of Oral Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2218-26. 2007The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of submucosal administration of dexamethasone sodium phosphate on discomfort after mandibular third molar surgery.
- Ectopic third molar in condylar regionJ I Salmeron
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:398-400. 2008Inclusion of the third molar is relatively frequent in oral and maxillofacial surgery, but ectopic placement is quite rare. Only a few cases of third molar inclusion in the condyle region of the mandible have been reported...
- Third molar removal: an overview of indications, imaging, evaluation, and assessment of riskRobert D Marciani
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, PO Box 670558, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0558, USA
Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 19:1-13, v. 2007Asymptomatic third molars may have associated periodontal pathology that may not be limited to the third molar region and have a negative impact on systemic health...
- Role of antimicrobials in third molar surgery: prospective, double blind,randomized, placebo-controlled clinical studyC H Sekhar
Postgraduate Resident; Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Madras, India
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:134-7. 2001..RESULTS: There were no significant differences in the outcome between the three groups (P= 0.09). CONCLUSION: Antimicrobial prophylaxis does not seem to reduce morbidity after removal of lower third molars...
- Isolation and characterization of stem cells derived from human third molar tooth germs of young adults: implications in neo-vascularization, osteo-, adipo- and neurogenesisM E Yalvac
Department of Genetics and Bioengineering, College of Engineering and Architecture, Yeditepe University, Kayisdagi, Istanbul, Turkey
Pharmacogenomics J 10:105-13. 2010..In addition, these multipotential hTGSCs could be important stem cell sources for autologous transplantation...
- Influence of primary and secondary closure of surgical wound after impacted mandibular third molar removal on postoperative pain and swelling--a comparative and split mouth studyAnil Kumar Danda
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:309-12. 2010..The purpose of the present study was to compare the influence of primary and secondary closure of the surgical wound on postoperative pain and swelling after removal of impacted mandibular third molars...
- Corticosteroids reduce postoperative morbidity after third molar surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysisMichael R Markiewicz
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1881-94. 2008The purpose of this study was to apply meta-analytical methods to measure the effect of corticosteroids (CS) on edema, trismus, and pain at early and late postoperative periods after third molar (M3) removal.
- Prevalence of tooth transposition, third molar agenesis, and maxillary canine impaction in individuals with Down syndromeJ Shapira
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Hebrew University Hadassah Faculty of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Angle Orthod 70:290-6. 2000..By contrast, third molar agenesis and tooth transposition have been largely ignored and the prevalence of canine impaction has not been ..
- The piezoelectric and rotatory osteotomy technique in impacted third molar surgery: comparison of postoperative recoveryFrancesco Sortino
Department of Medical Surgery Specialities, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:2444-8. 2008..The aim of this study was the comparison of postoperative outcome in mandibular impacted third molars treated by piezoelectric surgery or by rotatory osteotomy technique...
- Mandibular third molar removal in young patients: an evaluation of 2 different flap designsGiuseppe Monaco
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:15-21. 2009To evaluate the influence of 2 different flap designs on periodontal healing and postoperative complications, after inferior third molar removal in young patients.
- Correlation of darkening of impacted mandibular third molar root on digital panoramic images with cone beam computed tomography findingsW Tantanapornkul
Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Yushima 1 5 45, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 38:11-6. 2009Darkening of the lower third molar root on panoramic images is known to indicate an intimate relationship between the root and mandibular canal...
- Position of the impacted third molar in relation to the mandibular canal. Diagnostic accuracy of cone beam computed tomography compared with panoramic radiographyH Ghaeminia
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:964-71. 2009..tomography (CBCT) compared to panoramic radiography in determining the anatomical position of the impacted third molar in relation with the mandibular canal...
- A subjective assessment of pain and swelling following the surgical removal of impacted third molar teeth using different surgical techniquesE Shevel
Department of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, University of Pretoria, South Africa
SADJ 56:238-41. 2001..The survey comprised 20 patients with bilaterally symmetrical impacted third molar teeth...
- Assessment of difficulty in third molar surgery--a systematic reviewOladimeji A Akadiri
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:771-4. 2009The aim of this review was to identify the most important variables that determine surgical difficulty of impacted third molar extractions by their consistent showing in previous studies.
- Evaluation of antibiotic prophylaxis in reducing postoperative infection after mandibular third molar extraction in young patientsGiuseppe Monaco
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:1467-72. 2009This study evaluated the influence of antibiotic prophylaxis on postoperative complications after inferior third molar removal in young patients.
- Identification of risk factors for short-term morbidity in third molar surgeryO A Akadiri
Dpt of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
Odontostomatol Trop 31:5-10. 2008..The study was designed to identify preoperative variables that may constitute important risk factors for greater degree of facial swelling, pain and trismus...
- Intra-oral removal of ectopic third molar in the mandibular condyleK S Gadre
Ruby Hall Clinic, Pune, India
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:294-6. 2010..Most have been treated using an extra-oral or endoscopic approach. The management of this condition using an intra-oral approach (removal of this tooth and maintaining the anatomy of the condyle) is described in two case reports...
- Clinical trial with bromelain in third molar exodontiaF Inchingolo
Department of Dental Sciences and Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Bari, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 14:771-4. 2010..The aim of the present study is to assess the efficacy of bromelain in controlling the edema and its related pain in the inflamed area after upper third molar exodontia.
- The use of corticosteroids and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medication for the management of pain and inflammation after third molar surgery: a review of the literatureKing Kim
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Nova Southeastern University, Broward General Medical Center, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 107:630-40. 2009..This article addresses the use of NSAIDs and corticosteroids after third molar surgery, along with a review of the literature, which is incorporated to provide practitioners helpful, quick, ..
- Pain and analgesic response after third molar extraction and other postsurgical painJodie Barden
Pain Research and Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, The Churchill, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Pain 107:86-90. 2004..Systematic difference in the estimate of analgesic efficacy between dental and postsurgical pain models remains unproven, and, on balance, no major difference is likely...
- Finite element analysis of the human mandible to assess the effect of removing an impacted third molarAttila Szucs
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Can Dent Assoc 76:a72. 2010..The aim was to analyze the effects of removing various amounts of bone around an impacted mandibular third molar and to predict the possibility of iatrogenic fracture.
- Randomized, double-blind study of effectiveness of intra-alveolar application of chlorhexidine gel in reducing incidence of alveolar osteitis and bleeding complications in mandibular third molar surgery in patients with bleeding disordersDaniel Torres-Lagares
Oral Surgery Department, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:1322-6. 2010..The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the effectiveness of the bioadhesive 0.2% CHX gel in reducing the incidence of impacted third molar postextraction AO in patients with bleeding disorders.
- A comparative study of the effect of using a rubber drain on postoperative discomfort following lower third molar surgeryFelix Nzube Chukwuneke
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Nigeria, Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:341-4. 2008..was to evaluate the effect of using a rubber drain on postoperative pain, swelling and trismus after lower third molar surgery...
- Differences in postoperative morbidity rates, including infection and dry socket, and differences in the healing process after mandibular third molar surgery in patients receiving 1-day or 3-day prophylaxis with lenampicillinTakashi Yoshii
Department of Dentistry, Hyogo Prefectural Staff Health Center, 5 10 1 Shimoyamate dori, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650 8567, Japan
J Infect Chemother 8:87-93. 2002The aim of this study was to examine the effect of antibiotic prophylaxis for mandibular third molar surgery from the viewpoint of the duration of administration...
- Comparative study of the effect of tube drainage versus methylprednisolone after third molar surgeryMelike Ordulu
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Istanbul University, 34390, Capa Istanbul, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:e96-100. 2006The purpose of this study was to compare the effects of tube drainage versus a single dose of methylprednisolone (MP) on maximal mouth opening, facial swelling, and pain after third molar surgery.
- Effectiveness of chlorhexidine gel versus chlorhexidine rinse in reducing alveolar osteitis in mandibular third molar surgeryPilar Hita-Iglesias
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0018, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:441-5. 2008..The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of chlorhexidine gel versus a chlorhexidine rinse in reducing postoperative alveolar osteitis after the extraction of mandibular third molars...
- The accuracy and precision of third molar development as an indicator of chronological age in HispanicsAnn C Solari
Dental Branch, University of Texas-Health Science Center at Houston, 77030, USA
J Forensic Sci 47:531-5. 2002The accuracy and precision of chronological age estimation based on the stages of third molar tooth development was studied in a sample of 679 radiographs from individuals of Hispanic origin. The age range was 14.0 to 25.0 years...
- Age as a factor in the complication rate after removal of unerupted/impacted third molars at the time of mandibular sagittal split osteotomyJohan P Reyneke
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Division of Surgery, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:654-9. 2002This study was designed to investigate the effect that the presence of an unerupted third molar has on the mandibular sagittal split osteotomy (SSO).
- Distal cervical caries in the mandibular second molar: an indication for the prophylactic removal of the third molar?Louis W McArdle
Department of Oral Surgery, GKT Dental Institute, Guy s Hospital, London Bridge, London SE1 9RT, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:42-5. 2006..Distal cervical caries (DCC) in mandibular second molar teeth are responsible for the removal of up to 5% of all mandibular third molars. Our aim was to identify the clinical features of these patients...
- Bupivacaine as pre-emptive analgesia in third molar surgery: Randomised controlled trialM Sharif Nayyar
National Maxillofacial Unit, Registrar Maxillofacial Unit, St James Hospital, Dublin 8, Republic of Ireland
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:501-3. 2006..A visual analogue scale was used to measure the extent of postoperative pain. There was a significant reduction (p = 0.05) in postoperative pain on the injected side at 6, 12, and 72 h and an overall reduction in pain up to 7 days...
- Changes in mandibular third molar angle and position after unilateral mandibular first molar extractionSinan Ay
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Cumhuriyet University, Faculty of Dentistry, Sivas, Turkey
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 129:36-41. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the spontaneous angular and positional changes in mandibular third molars when mandibular first molars are extracted...
- Potential for osseous regeneration of platelet-rich plasma--a comparative study in mandibular third molar socketsDeepti Simon
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Government Dental College, Trivandrum
Indian J Dent Res 15:133-6. 2004..This study utilized homologous platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of third molar extraction sockets in a total of fourteen human subjects, who were randomly assigned into one control and one ..
- Pederson scale fails to predict how difficult it will be to extract lower third molarsMarcio Diniz-Freitas
Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine Departments, School of Dentistry, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:23-6. 2007..preoperatively using the Pederson scale (radiographic appearance of the anatomical position of the lower third molar), and postoperative difficulty was scored with a modified version of the Parant scale (operative manoeuvres ..
- The effects on postoperative oral surgery pain by varying NSAID administration times: comparison on effect of preemptive analgesiaYoung-Soo Jung
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Science Research Center, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 100:559-63. 2005..this study was conducted with 80 healthy patients undergoing a surgical removal of an impacted mandibular third molar requiring bone removal...
- Analgesic efficacy of aceclofenac after surgical extraction of impacted lower third molarsP V Presser Lima
Graduate Program in Dentistry, Universidade Luterana do Brasil, Rua Miguel Tostes, , 92420-280 Canoas, RS, Brazil
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:518-21. 2006..This difference, however, was statistically significant only at 6h after surgery, which is the time of maximum pain for this surgical procedure. Aceclofenac was more efficient in controlling pain when administered before the surgery...
- Minor complications after mandibular third molar surgery: type, incidence, and possible preventionJin-Cheol Kim
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Sacred Heart Hospital, Hallym University, Kyungki-do, Republic of Korea
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:e4-11. 2006..PURPOSE: The aim of this prospective study was to ascertain the incidence of minor complications after mandibular third molar surgery and to predict the risk of skin ecchymosis or mucosa petechiae related to the usage of an absorbable ..
- Prevalence of bacteraemia following third molar surgeryI Tomas
School of Medicine and Dentistry, Santiago de Compostela University, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Oral Dis 14:89-94. 2008To investigate the prevalence and aetiology of bacteraemia following third molar extractions (B-TME), analysing the factors affecting its development.
- Impacted mandibular third molars: presentation and postoperative complications at the Lagos University Teaching HospitalO M Gbotolorun
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Lagos University Teaching Hospital LUTH, Lagos, Nigeria
Nig Q J Hosp Med 17:26-9. 2007Surgical extraction of impacted Mandibular third molar is one of the commonest dentoalveolar surgeries...
- Pre-emptive analgesic effect of tramadol after mandibular third molar extraction: a pilot studyAmaury Pozos Guillen
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Facultad de Estomatologia, Universidad Autonoma de San Luis Potosi, San Luis Potosi, Mexico
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1315-20. 2007We compared the efficacy of tramadol given before or immediately after surgical extraction of an impacted mandibular third molar under local anesthesia.
- Clinical comparative study of the effectiveness of two dosages of Dexamethasone to control postoperative swelling, trismus and pain after the surgical extraction of mandibular impacted third molarsJose Rodrigues Laureano Filho
OMS Department, Dental School of Pernambuco University, Recife, Brazil
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 13:E129-32. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of two different concentrations (4 and 8 mg) of dexamethasone to decrease the swelling and trismus after the surgical extraction of mandibular impacted third molars...
- Effect of the proteolytic enzyme serrapeptase on swelling, pain and trismus after surgical extraction of mandibular third molarsT H Al-Khateeb
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Jordan University of Science and Technology and King Abdulla University Hospital, Irbid, Jordan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:264-8. 2008..study was to investigate the ability of serrapeptase to reduce postoperative swelling, pain and trismus after third molar surgery...
- Surgical removal of impacted third molarsPushkar Mehra
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Boston Medical Center and Boston University School of Dental Medicine, USA
Dent Today 26:120, 122-5; quiz 125, 112. 2007
- The unerupted maxillary second molar, due to an overlying and malformed upper third molar: treatment and follow-upE G Salentijn
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Leiden University Medical Centre, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Orthod 35:20-4. 2008..Further prospective research is necessary to develop guidelines for the removal of palatally obstructing third molars to avoid eruption problems...
- Efficacy of methylprednisolone injected into the masseter muscle following the surgical extraction of impacted lower third molarsE Vegas-Bustamante
Oral Surgery and Orofacial Implantology, School of Dentistry of the University of Barcelona, Spain
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:260-3. 2008..05). The results obtained show that 40 mg of methylprednisolone injected into the masseter muscle in the immediate postoperative period reduces swelling, trismus and pain...
- Comparison of cone-beam volumetric imaging and combined plain radiographs for localization of the mandibular canal before removal of impacted lower third molarsJoerg Neugebauer
Department for Craniomaxillofacial and Plastic Surgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105:633-42; discussion 643. 2008....
- A comparative study of cone-beam computed tomography and conventional panoramic radiography in assessing the topographic relationship between the mandibular canal and impacted third molarsWeeraya Tantanapornkul
Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:253-9. 2007..To evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of cone-beam CT compared with panoramic images in predicting neurovascular bundle exposure during extraction of impacted mandibular third molars...
- Radiographic study of the positional changes and eruption of impacted third molars in young adults of an Asian Indian populationSumeet Sandhu
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Sri Guru Ram Das Institute of Dental Sciences and Research, Amritsar Punjab, India
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1617-24. 2008..The aim of the study was to assess changes in the angular position and eruption status of third molars in students of an Asian Indian population during a 4-year follow-up period...
- Frequency estimates and risk factors for postoperative morbidity after third molar removal: a prospective cohort studyZaid H Baqain
Oral Medicine Department, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:2276-83. 2008The aim of this study was to estimate the frequency of postoperative complications after mandibular third molar (M3) surgery and identify the risk indicators.
- Postoperative analgesia after lower third molar surgery: contribution of the use of long-acting local anesthetics, low-power laser, and diclofenacAleksa B Marković
Faculty of Stomatology, Oral Surgery Clinic, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:e4-8. 2006....
- Tramadol administered in a combination of routes for reducing pain after removal of an impacted mandibular third molarAmaury J Pozos
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, , , San Luis Potos, Mexico
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1633-9. 2007
- Pathology associated with impacted mandibular third molars in a group of JordaniansTaiseer Hussain Al-Khateeb
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1598-602. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine the frequency and type of a group of radiographically detectable pathologic conditions around impacted mandibular third molars in Jordanians...
- A comparison of midazolam and midazolam with remifentanil for patient-controlled sedation during operations on third molarsHasan Garip
Department of OMFS, Marmara University, Turkey
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:212-6. 2007..Patient-controlled analgesia with midazolam or midazolam and remifentanil is safe and reliable during extraction of third molars...
- Comparison of 2 flap designs in the periodontal healing of second molars after fully impacted mandibular third molar extractionsTugrul Kirtiloglu
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Ondokuz Mayis, Samsun, Turkey
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2206-10. 2007This investigation compared the effects of different flap designs on the periodontal health status of the mandibular second molar after the extraction of the adjacent impacted third molar.
- Primary and secondary closure of the surgical wound after removal of impacted mandibular third molars: a comparative studyD Pasqualini
Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Dentistry Division, Oral Surgery Unit, University of Turin, Corso Dogliotti 14, Turin 10126, Italy
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:52-7. 2005..Pain and swelling were less severe with secondary healing than with primary healing...
- Early extraction of the mandibular third molar in case of eruption disturbances of the second molarS Kavadia
Department of Orthodontics, Dental School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
J Dent Child (Chic) 70:29-32. 2003..METHODS: Thirty-two patients with early extraction of the mandibular third molar before or during orthodontic treatment were examined...
- Lingual nerve injury subsequent to wisdom teeth removal--a 5-year retrospective audit from a high street dental practiceN J Malden
Oral Surgery Department, Edinburgh
Br Dent J 193:203-5. 2002..It was concluded that the technique employed was associated with a low incidence of lingual nerve trauma, comparable with that reported elsewhere...
- A comparison of conventional panoramic radiographs with volumetric computed tomography images in the preoperative assessment of impacted mandibular third molarsJ Pawelzik
Received from Heinrich-Heine University, , Germany
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:979-84. 2002..conventional panoramic radiographs with reconstructed VCT panoramic and paraxial images before performing third molar surgery...
- Mandibular third molar removal: risk indicators for extended operation time, postoperative pain, and complicationsIngibjörg S Benediktsdóttir
Faculty of Odontology, University of Iceland, Reykjavik
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 97:438-46. 2004..The aim of this study was to identify risk indicators for extended operation time and postoperative complications after removal of mandibular third molars...
- Clinical postoperative findings after removal of impacted mandibular third molars: prediction of postoperative facial swelling and pain based on preoperative variablesHidemichi Yuasa
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Central Hospital of Tokai Medical Institute, 1 Marune, Arau tyou, Tokai City 476 8511, Japan
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:209-14. 2004This paper is intended as an investigation of the relationship between preoperative findings and short-term outcome in third molar surgery.
- Accidental displacement of impacted maxillary and mandibular third molarsErcan Durmus
Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kampus Konya, Turkey
Quintessence Int 35:375-7. 2004..Administration of prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotics and urgent referral to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, is recommended...
- Incidence of chronic neuropathic pain subsequent to surgical removal of impacted third molarsTrond Inge Berge
Institute of Odontology, Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Bergen, Norway
Acta Odontol Scand 60:108-12. 2002..patients stated that they had no long-term symptoms or problems from the surgical site, jaw, or face after the third molar removal...
- Classification of surgical difficulty in extracting impacted third molarsH Yuasa
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Central Hospital of Tokai Medical Institute, Aichi, Japan
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:26-31. 2002..The new index has an odds ratio (relative risk) of 62.3 (95% confidence interval, 9.3-415.9), a sensitivity of 0.85 and a specificity of 0.92. We consider that the new index is superior to the conventional Pederson's index...
- Radiographic findings on 3rd molars removed in 20-year-old menAri Rajasuo
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases, Mikkeli Central Hospital, Mikkeli, Finland
Acta Odontol Scand 61:263-7. 2003..001). We conclude that there are some typical 3rd-molar findings in rotational panoramic radiographs that show a need for surgical extraction...
- ESTROGEN MODULATION OF HUMAN NOCICEPTORSKenneth M Hargreaves; Fiscal Year: 2010..tissue (evaluating substance P (SP) release from neuron terminals innervating dental pulp from extracted third molar teeth)...
- CANDIDATE GENES FOR DGI-II/IIIMary Macdougall; Fiscal Year: 1999..To test these hypotheses, a human third molar cDNA library will be constructed in order to isolate the human cDNAs for DMP1, DSP and DPP and Ambn...
- Ethnic Differences in Acute Pain and Analgesic ResponseBarbara Hastie; Fiscal Year: 2007..200 African American and white adults (age range 18-55) who undergo third molar extraction will be included in this study...
- Dental Stem Cells and Tooth Tissue EngineeringPamela Yelick; Fiscal Year: 2009..To address this hypothesis, in the studies proposed here we will characterize 1) naturally formed third molar wisdom tooth extracellular matrix (ECM) components and organization, and 2) also examine the use of two novel ..
- PATIENT ORIENTED RESEARCH--ORAL AND MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERTHOMAS DODSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..This award leverages the PI's skills and talents by providing protected time to mentor additional trainees and to conduct high quality patient-oriented research. ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--Study Chair applicationJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2007..Little research has been done on methods to prevent tooth decay in adults. This study would test how well a lozenge to be taken several times a day works to prevent tooth decay in adults who are prone to tooth decay. ..
- Planning Grant for Xylitol Trial in Caries-Active AdultsJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Dentin/Adhesive Interface Structure/Property ImagingYong Wang; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- AUTOMATED CLOSED SYSTEM FOR DMSO REMOVAL FROM PERIPHERAL BLOOD STEM CELLSERIK WOODS; Fiscal Year: 2007..The goal of this research is to produce a device to easily remove DMSO from PBSC before they are transplanted, increasing effectiveness of the cells and reducing potential complications. ..
- Molecular/Mechanical Imaging of Dentin Bonding SubstrateYong Wang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results from this work will provide critical, new insight into failure mechanisms at the dentin/adhesive interface; failure that can ultimately lead to premature breakdown of the composite restoration. ..
- A NOVEL FROZEN STORAGE SYSTEM FOR CORD BLOOD STEM CELLSERIK WOODS; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Methyl Mercury Evaluation in Dental Waste WaterJames Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2003..Hypothesis: Element mercury released in DWW is converted to Hg(lI) and then in more limited amounts to methyl-mercury by specific biofilm bacterial species in the Dental sewage pipes. ..
- EXPANSION OF PANCREATIC ISLETS USING A NOVEL BIOMATERIALERIK WOODS; Fiscal Year: 2002..who will serve as their Phase III partner for both of these products. These products will have importance in enhancing islet transplantation as a treatment and/or cure for type I diabetes. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Not available ..
- Clinical and Molecular Evaluation of Cancer Therapy Induced MucositisSharon Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2007..Demonstration of safety and tolerability will provide a basis to test further this route of administration. Hence, this proposal holds promise for clinical application in a relatively short period. ..
- Recombinant Amelogenin Matrices for Apatite NanofibersStefan Habelitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Importantly, comprehending nanoscale control over this complex process will provide a basis for development of novel methods for mineralized tissue repair. ..
- Aging and Fatigue Crack Growth in DentinDwayne Arola; Fiscal Year: 2007..These achievements should reduce the incidence of restorative failures associated with tooth fracture, resulting in billions of dollars in savings of health care costs, as well as a reduction in human suffering. ..
- Recombinant Amelogenin Matrices for Apatite NanofibersSTEFAN FRIEDRICH HABELITZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..Importantly, comprehending nanoscale control over this complex process will provide a basis for development of novel methods for mineralized tissue repair. ..
- Neutrophils and Periodontitis in DiabetesThomas Van Dyke; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies have the potential of leading to better methods of treating periodontal disease and perhaps other complications of diabetes. ..
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- ORAL HEALTH OF OLDER TYPE 1 DIABETIC PATIENTSPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2003..This overall plan will permit us to understand the etiology of these complications and to define specific subpopulations and risk factors appropriate for future prospective oral health prevention and intervention trials. ..
- Semi-Parametric Survival Methods in Dental ResearchSung Kiang Chuang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The specific analytic issues addressed are generalizable to patient-oriented dental research as many studies using multiple, correlated observations per patient, i.e. probing depths, tooth loss. ..
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Microbiology/Immunology of Periodontal Disease in T1DMPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 2002..An integrated multidisciplinary effort provides significant data collection capabilities essential for understanding the complex multifactorial etiology of periodontal disease in Type 1 diabetes. ..
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Trigeminal Neuropathic Pain MechanismsMichael Henry; Fiscal Year: 2006..Identification of specific sodium channel alterations after injury may help develop more selective treatments for neuropathic pain. ..
- Sodium Channel Expression in Human TeethMichael Henry; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Sensory Re-training following Orthognathic SurgeryCeib Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our primary focus will be on the patient's perception of the negative impact of altered sensation on daily life. ..
- Recombinant Amelogenin Matrices for Apatite NanofibersStefan Habelitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Importantly, comprehending nanoscale control over this complex process will provide a basis for development of novel methods for mineralized tissue repair. ..
- Health Risks of Problem-Oriented Dental AttendersYANFANG REN; Fiscal Year: 2007..This is particularly important as nearly 40% of the general population meet the definition of POAs and many of them may not have a regular source of medical care. ..