- Bone graft remodelling and implant success rate in the treatment of the severely resorbed maxilla: a 5-year longitudinal study
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Umeaå, Sweden
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 31:158-64. 2002
..7 mm at the 5-year examination. A substantial amount of bone can be gained in patients with extremely resorbed maxillae, when treated with bone graft according to the procedure described in this study...
- Direct implant loading in the edentulous maxilla using a bone density-adapted surgical protocol and primary implant stability criteria for inclusion
Pär Olov Ostman
Department of Biomaterials, Institute for Surgical Sciences, Sahlgrenska Academy, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 7:S60-9. 2005
Long healing periods and submerged implant placement are commonly used in the maxilla. This extends the time of oral handicap and makes the use of immediate loading protocols an attractive option...
- Two- versus three-dimensional imaging in subjects with unerupted maxillary canines
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Eur J Orthod 33:344-9. 2011
- Density of the alveolar and basal bones of the maxilla and the mandible
Hyo Sang Park
Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 133:30-7. 2008
The purpose of this investigation was to quantitatively evaluate density of the alveolar and basal bones of the maxilla and the mandible.
- A clinical and histologic evaluation of implant integration in the posterior maxilla after sinus floor augmentation with autogenous bone, bovine hydroxyapatite, or a 20:80 mixture
Clinic for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Public Health Service, Gävle City, Sweden
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 17:635-43. 2002
..This study was designed to clinically and histologically evaluate the integration of titanium implants in different grafting materials used for maxillary sinus augmentation procedures...
- Short implants in the severely resorbed maxilla: a 2-year retrospective clinical study
Department of Periodontology, Paris VII University, Paris, France
Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 7:S104-10. 2005
..predictability of endosseous dental implants is well documented, the restoration of the posterior region of the maxilla remains a challenge...
- Treatment effects produced by Fränkel appliance in patients with class II, division 1 malocclusion
Marcio Rodrigues de Almeida
Lins Dental School, Methodist University of Piracicaba, Lins City, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Angle Orthod 72:418-25. 2002
..It was concluded that the main effects of the Fränkel appliance during this time period were mostly dentoalveolar with a smaller but significant skeletal mandibular effect...
- An evaluation of the quality of root fillings in mandibular incisors and maxillary and mandibular canines using different methodologies
L W M van der Sluis
Department of Cariology Endodontology Pedodontology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam ACTA, Louwesweg 1, Amsterdam 1066 EA, The Netherlands
J Dent 33:683-8. 2005
- Accuracy of three-dimensional measurements obtained from cone beam computed tomography surface-rendered images for cephalometric analysis: influence of patient scanning position
Department of Oral Radiology, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam ACTA, The Netherlands
Eur J Orthod 31:129-34. 2009
..The findings indicate that measurements based on 3D CBCT surface images are accurate and that small variations in the patient's head position do not influence measurement accuracy...
- Tissue alterations at implant-supported single-tooth replacements: a 1-year prospective clinical study
Department of Periodontology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Clin Oral Implants Res 17:165-71. 2006
..The aim of this prospective study was to evaluate dimensional alterations of the peri-implant tissues at single-tooth restorations from the time of implant placement to 1-year post-loading...
- A survey of hypodontia in Japanese orthodontic patients
Nippon Dental University Hospital at Niigata, Niigata, Japan
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 129:29-35. 2006
..The purpose of this retrospective study was to assess the prevalence and distribution of hypodontia in the permanent dentition, excluding the third molars, in a sample of Japanese orthodontic patients...
- Patient-centred outcomes comparing transmucosal implant placement with an open approach in the maxilla: a prospective, non-randomized pilot study
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:197-203. 2007
..In five of the patients, implants were placed in the maxilla transmucosally using a CAD/CAM surgical template [test group (TG)]...
- Effectiveness of impacted and supernumerary tooth diagnosis from traditional radiography versus cone beam computed tomography
Binita C Katheria
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas, USA
Pediatr Dent 32:304-9. 2010
..The purpose of this study was to determine if cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) is more effective than traditional radiography (TR) in diagnosing pediatric dental clinical cases involving impacted and supernumerary teeth...
- Maxillomandibular advancement for the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Jon Erik C Holty
Stanford University Sleep Medicine Program, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Sleep Med Rev 14:287-97. 2010
..No postoperative deaths were reported. Most subjects reported satisfaction after MMA with improvements in quality of life measures and most OSA symptomatology. We conclude that MMA is a safe and highly effective treatment for OSA...
- The technical and anatomical aspects of the World's first near-total human face and maxilla transplant
Daniel S Alam
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, Desk A71, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Arch Facial Plast Surg 11:369-77. 2009
To discuss the technical and anatomical analysis and design of an osteocutaneous allograft transplant incorporating the donor maxilla and the execution of the operative protocol during the transplant.
- Comparison of cortical bone thickness and root proximity at maxillary and mandibular interradicular sites for orthodontic mini-implant placement
J E Lim
School of Clinical Dentistry, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea
Orthod Craniofac Res 12:299-304. 2009
..To compare maxillary and mandibular cortical bone thickness and rootic proximity for optimal mini-implant placement...
- Immediate loading of single-tooth ITI implants in the anterior maxilla: a prospective 5-year pilot study
Department of Oral Surgery and Oral Medicine, Dental Faculty, University of Oslo, Norway
Clin Oral Implants Res 13:281-7. 2002
..to evaluate the success rate of immediately loaded single-tooth ITI solid plasma-sprayed (TPS) implants in the maxilla. Eight implants were loaded immediately after placement in eight different patients, and were followed for five ..
- Linear accuracy and reliability of cone beam CT derived 3-dimensional images constructed using an orthodontic volumetric rendering program
Danielle R Periago
Department of Orthodontic and Pediatric Dentistry, University of Louisville School of Dentistry, Louisville, KY, USA
Angle Orthod 78:387-95. 2008
..To compare accuracy of linear measurements made on cone beam computed tomographic (CBCT) derived 3-dimensional (3D) surface rendered volumetric images to direct measurements made on human skulls...
- Impacted teeth in the maxilla: usefulness of 3D Dental-CT for preoperative evaluation
Department of Dental Radiology, Dental Hospital, Hokkaido University, Kita 13, Nishi 6, Kita ku, Sapporo 060 8586, Japan
Eur J Radiol 47:221-6. 2003
- Measurement of the maxilla and zygoma as an aid in installing zygomatic implants
Saga Medical School, Nabeshima, Saga, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 59:1193-8. 2001
..This study used maxillary and zygomatic measurements to obtain information for installing zygomatic implants...
- Comparison of two cone beam computed tomographic systems versus panoramic imaging for localization of impacted maxillary canines and detection of root resorption
Department of Orthodontics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Orthod 33:93-102. 2011
..02). The results of this study suggest that CBCT is more sensitive than conventional radiography for both canine localization and identification of root resorption of adjacent teeth...
- The KPG index--a novel 3D classification system for maxillary canine impactions
Daniel E San Martín
Tex Dent J 129:265-74. 2012
..The aim of this study was to determine if this index provides an estimate of the time necessary to treat an impacted canine using closed eruption...
- Cephalometric measurements from 3D reconstructed images compared with conventional 2D images
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Angle Orthod 81:856-64. 2011
- Rehabilitation of atrophic maxilla using the combination of autogenous and allogeneic bone grafts followed by protocol-type prosthesis
Discipline of Implantology, University Center of Barretos, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Craniofac Surg 21:1894-6. 2010
..This study aimed to show the viability of allogeneic bone grafting in an atrophic maxilla, followed by oral rehabilitation with dental implant and protocol-type prosthesis within a 3-year follow-up ..
- Trial with Platelet-Rich Fibrin and Bio-Oss used as grafting materials in the treatment of the severe maxillar bone atrophy: clinical and radiological evaluations
School in Dental Hygiene, Faculty of Medicine, University Aldo Moro, Bari, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 14:1075-84. 2010
- Transverse dentoalveolar changes after slow maxillary expansion
Jared K Corbridge
Orthodontic Department, Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A and M Health Science Center, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 140:317-25. 2011
..In this study, we evaluated the transverse dentoalveolar changes in the maxillary first molar region after early treatment with the quad-helix appliance...
- Dental anomalies and clinical features in patients with maxillary canine impaction
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, School of Dentistry, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Angle Orthod 83:22-8. 2013
..To analyze the prevalence, distribution, clinical features, and relationship with dental anomalies of maxillary canine impaction...
- Frequency of agenesis, impaction, angulation, and related pathologic changes of third molar teeth in orthodontic patients
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:990-5. 2010
..The objectives of the present study were to investigate the frequency of impaction, agenesis, angular position, and related pathologic changes of third molar teeth in a group of orthodontic patients...
- A prospective, randomized, double-blind comparison of articaine and lidocaine for maxillary infiltrations
Division of Endodontics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
J Endod 34:389-93. 2008
..In conclusion, a maxillary infiltration of 4% articaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine statistically improved anesthetic success when compared with 2% lidocaine with 1:100,000 epinephrine in the lateral incisor but not in the first molar...
- Three-dimensional analysis of midfacial soft tissue changes according to maxillary superior movement after horizontal osteotomy of the maxilla
Yong Il Kim
Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, Pusan National University, Busan, South Korea
J Craniofac Surg 21:1587-90. 2010
..It is essential that clinicians concerned about the management of soft tissue and the quality of treatment outcomes understand the pattern of soft tissue change after double-jaw surgery...
- Reconstruction of the atrophic edentulous maxilla with free iliac crest grafts and implants: a 3-year report of a prospective clinical study
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 9:46-59. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to perform a longitudinal follow-up study of implant stability in grafted maxillae with the aid of clinical, radiological, and resonance frequency analysis (RFA) parameters...
- Management of the posterior maxilla with sinus lift: review of techniques
Sunitha V Raja
Department of Periodontics, Meenakshiammal Dental College, Chennai, India
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:1730-4. 2009
The posterior maxilla presents several challenges to the implant dentist. The pneumatization of the maxillary sinus is one such problem...
- Bone-implant contact on machined and dual acid-etched surfaces after 2 months of healing in the human maxilla
J Periodontol 74:945-56. 2003
..This study evaluated the 2-month bone-implant contact for dual acid-etched and machined implant surfaces to determine if this criterion had been met...
- Maxillary canine anomalies and tooth agenesis
Faculty of Dental Surgery, University of Malta Medical and Dental School, Guardamangia, Malta
Eur J Orthod 27:450-6. 2005
..The prevalence of lower second premolar (5 per cent) and M.3 (27.5 per cent) agenesis approached reference values. Evidence for the implication of the MSX1 or PAX9 genes in the aetiology of PDC was weak...
- Efficiency of a pendulum appliance for molar distalization related to second and third molar eruption stage
Gero S M Kinzinger
Department of Orthodontics, University of Aachen, Germany
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 125:8-23. 2004
..09 degrees, respectively, in PG 3). Moreover, measurement of dental casts in the horizontal plane showed not only the targeted mesiobuccal rotation of both maxillary molars, but also a vestibular drift of the unbanded second molars...
- Face, palate, and craniofacial morphology in patients with a solitary median maxillary central incisor
Department of Orthodontics, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Orthod 23:63-73. 2001
..normal standards for girls showed a short anterior cranial base, a short, retrognathic and posteriorly inclined maxilla, and a retrognathic and posteriorly inclined mandible...
- Radiographic assessment of congenitally missing teeth in orthodontic patients
R Silva Meza
Department of Orthodontics, Intercontinental University, Mexico
Int J Paediatr Dent 13:112-6. 2003
..To estimate the prevalence of congenitally missing teeth (CMT) in patients evaluated for orthodontic care. A sample of 668 panoramic radiographs from Mexican population was reviewed from orthodontic healthy patients, 9-20 years old...
- Pattern of third molar impaction in a Singapore Chinese population: a retrospective radiographic survey
S L Quek
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, National University of Singapore, 5 Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119054
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:548-52. 2003
..The frequency was three-fold higher in the mandible (1024/1079=90%) than in the maxilla (306/1077=28%), with a significantly higher frequency (P<0.05) in females (56%) than males (44%)...
- Treatment of severe atrophy of the maxilla with the prefabricated free vascularized fibula flap
Department of Reconstructive Surgery, University of Basel, University Hospital, Switzerland
Clin Oral Implants Res 13:44-52. 2002
..This paper presents the augmentation of the maxilla with a prefabricated free vascularized fibula flap in combination with ITI implants (Straumann AG, Waldenburg, ..
- Long-term skeletal changes with rapid maxillary expansion: a systematic review
Manuel O Lagravere
Orthodontic Graduate Program, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Angle Orthod 75:1046-52. 2005
..RME appears not to produce clinically significant anteroposterior or vertical changes in the position of the maxilla and mandible...
- Early craniofacial morphology and growth in children with bilateral complete cleft lip and palate
N V Hermann
Department of Pediatric Dentistry and Clinical Genetics, School of Dentistry, Copenhagen University Hospital, Denmark
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 41:424-38. 2004
- Remaining tooth structure associated with various preparation designs for the endodontically treated maxillary second premolar
Liang Lin Seow
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 13:57-64. 2005
- Reconstruction of extensive maxillary defects using zygomaticus implants
Brian L Schmidt
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, 94143 0440, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:82-9. 2004
..This article is a clinical retrospective analysis of patients reconstructed with zygomaticus implants after maxillary ablation...
- Functional regulator treatment of Class II division 1 malocclusions
S M Chadwick
Countess of Chester NHS Trust, Health Park, Liverpool Road, Chester, UK
Eur J Orthod 23:495-505. 2001
..1 degree increase in LI-Mand. The FrÃ¤nkel appliance was thus found to be effective in producing desirable occlusal and dental changes in the majority of patients treated...
- Rapid maxillary expansion--tooth tissue-borne versus tooth-borne expanders: a computed tomography evaluation of dentoskeletal effects
Daniela G Garib
Orthodontics, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Bauru, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Angle Orthod 75:548-57. 2005
..axial sections were scanned parallel to the palatal plane, comprising the dentoalveolar area and the base of the maxilla up to the inferior third of the nasal cavity...
- A radiographic assessment of progressive loading on bone around single osseointegrated implants in the posterior maxilla
Richard S Appleton
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX, USA
Clin Oral Implants Res 16:161-7. 2005
- Prosthodontic guidelines for surgical reconstruction of the maxilla: a classification system of defects
D J Okay
Department of Dentistry, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Prosthet Dent 86:352-63. 2001
..The aim of this defect-oriented classification system was to organize and define the complex nature of the restorative decision-making process for the maxillectomy patient...
- Immediate functional loading of edentulous maxilla: a 5-year retrospective study of 388 titanium implants
Dental School, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Periodontol 76:1016-24. 2005
..Because of a lack of experimental reports regarding edentulous maxilla, we decided to evaluate the survival rate of immediately loaded dental implants in this area.
- Single implants in the anterior maxilla after 15 years of follow-up: comparison with central implants in the edentulous maxilla
Department Prosthetic Dentistry Dental Material Science, Institute of Odontology, Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Int J Prosthodont 21:400-8. 2008
To present long-term clinical and radiographic data on single-implant treatment in the anterior maxilla and to compare these results with comparable data of central implants supporting fixed prostheses in the edentulous maxilla.
- External apical root resorption in patients treated with conventional and self-ligating brackets
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 134:646-51. 2008
..Our aim was to comparatively investigate the amount of external apical root resorption (EARR) between conventional and passive self-ligating brackets...
- The gingival biotype revisited: transparency of the periodontal probe through the gingival margin as a method to discriminate thin from thick gingiva
Tim De Rouck
School of Dental Medicine, Free University of Brussels VUB, Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Periodontol 36:428-33. 2009
..To detect groups of subjects in a sample of 100 periodontally healthy volunteers with different combinations of morphometric data related to central maxillary incisors and surrounding soft tissues...
- Fate of monocortical bone blocks grafted in the human maxilla: a histological and histomorphometric study
Ilara R Zerbo
Department of Oral Cell Biology, ACTA, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Oral Implants Res 14:759-66. 2003
Local bone defects in the anterior maxilla are commonly grafted with monocortical blocks of autologous bone in order to restore the defect site prior to the placement of dental implants...
- Labial talon cusps: a South American archaeological case in the deciduous dentition and review of a rare trait
Department of Biological Anthropology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge
Br Dent J 206:277-82. 2009
..Differences between these traits in sex distribution, frequency of maxillary and mandibular cases, and the most commonly affected teeth are demonstrated...
- Three-dimensional morphometric analysis of human cadaver bone: microstructural data from maxilla and mandible
Mete I Fanuscu
Division of Restorative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1668, USA
Clin Oral Implants Res 15:213-8. 2004
..Moderately resorbed edentulous maxilla and mandible from a human cadaver were scanned in the conventional CT unit with opaque markers indicating ..
- Immediate effects of rapid maxillary expansion with Haas-type and hyrax-type expanders: a randomized clinical trial
Department of Orthodontics, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 140:366-76. 2011
..The purposes of this study were to evaluate and compare the immediate effects of rapid maxillary expansion (RME) in the transverse plane with Haas-type and hyrax-type expanders by using cone-beam computed tomography...
- Rehabilitation of the severely atrophied maxilla by horseshoe Le Fort I osteotomy (HLFO)
Kaan C Yerit
University Hospital of Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 97:683-92. 2004
The purpose of this study was to determine the long-term outcome of the horseshoe Le Fort I osteotomy (HLFO) as a preprosthetic operation technique for implant insertion in the extremely atrophied maxilla.
- Objective growth monitoring of the maxilla in full term infants
Poliklinik für Kieferorthopädie, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Waldeyer Str 30, 48129 Munster, Germany
Arch Oral Biol 51:222-35. 2006
..To develop a non-invasive method for longitudinal maxillary volume measurements and to provide first normative data...
- A Homo habilis maxilla and other newly-discovered hominid fossils from Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania
R J Clarke
Institute for Human Evolution, University of the Witwatersrand, Private Bag 3, WITS 2040, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Hum Evol 63:418-28. 2012
In 1995, a 1.8 million year old hominid maxilla with complete dentition (OH 65) was excavated from Bed I in the western part of Olduvai Gorge...
- Immediate loading of dental implants in the completely edentulous maxilla: a clinical report
Robert A Jaffin
Hackensack University Medical Center, Hackensack, New Jersey 07601, USA
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 19:721-30. 2004
The purpose of this article was to determine whether clinical success can be achieved with immediate loading in the completely edentulous maxilla with endosseous screw-type implants.
- Point-to-point registration with mandibulo-maxillary splint in open and closed jaw position. Evaluation of registration accuracy for computer-aided surgery of the mandible
Clinic for Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 40:592-8. 2012
..This study investigates the accuracy of the dental-splint registration method for the skull, midface, and mandible...
- Immediate load protocol for anterior maxilla with cortical bone from mandibular ramus
Cameron Y S Lee
Implant Dent 15:153-9. 2006
To evaluate the concept of a nonfunctional immediate load protocol with single implants placed in the anterior maxilla that has been bone grafted with autogenous, block cortical grafts harvested from the ramus of the mandible.
- Histomorphometric evaluation of bioceramic molecular impregnated and dual acid-etched implant surfaces in the human posterior maxilla
Jamil Awad Shibli
Department of Periodontology, Dental Research Division and Head of Oral Implantology Clinic, Guarulhos University, Guarulhos, SP, Brazil
Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 12:281-8. 2010
- Malposition of unerupted mandibular second premolar in children with palatally displaced canines
Department of Orthodontics, Hebrew University Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel
Angle Orthod 79:796-9. 2009
- Bone grafting and insertion of dental implants followed by Le Fort advancement for correction of severely atrophic maxilla in young patients
P D Ribeiro-Junior
University of Sagrado Coração, Bauru, SP, Brazil
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:1101-6. 2009
The atrophic maxilla often results in lateral, anteroposterior and vertical disproportion of the maxillary arches. This paper presents the case of a 40-year-old male with a severely atrophic maxilla who underwent oral rehabilitation...
- Le Fort I distraction osteogenesis of the edentulous maxilla
N A Malik
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai, India
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:430-3. 2011
..This method is a simple, predictable and stable option for the correction of a severe, unfavourable intermaxillary relation in edentulous patients...
- Alveolar ridge dimensions in maxillary posterior sextants: a retrospective comparative study of dentate and edentulous sites using computerized tomography data
Research Centre for the Study of Periodontal and Peri Implant Diseases, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Clin Oral Implants Res 22:1138-44. 2011
..To compare the alveolar ridge dimensions between edentulous sites and contralateral dentate sites of maxillary posterior sextants in the same individuals...
- Fixed rehabilitation of the edentulous maxilla: possibilities and clinical outcome
Department of Prosthodontics, Albert Ludwigs University School of Dentistry, Freiburg, Germany
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:60-73. 2009
..report was to describe the different treatment approaches available for fixed rehabilitation of the edentulous maxilla in the presence of varying hard and soft tissue conditions and to review the clinical outcome of each treatment ..
- Retrospective study of maxilla growth in a Spanish population sample
Complutense University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 16:e271-7. 2011
This study has been designed to evaluate the vertical and sagittal changes in the maxilla due to growth. A sample group was chosen of 38 individuals with normal occlusion, composed of 16 females and 22 males between the ages of 8 and 18...
- The influence of cantilever length and implant inclination on stress distribution in maxillary implant-supported fixed dentures
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
J Prosthet Dent 105:5-13. 2011
..However, biomechanical advantages associated with cantilevers in fixed dentures (FDs) and tilted implants in the maxillae are less well documented...
- A comparison study of the osseointegration of zirconia and titanium dental implants. A biomechanical evaluation in the maxilla of pigs
Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 12:297-305. 2010
..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the osseointegration of microstructured zirconia implants in comparison with sandblasted and acid-etched (SLA) titanium implants in a biomechanical study...
- A finite element analysis of tilted versus nontilted implant configurations in the edentulous maxilla
Chiara M Bellini
Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS, Istituto Ortopedico Galeazzi, Milan, Italy
Int J Prosthodont 22:155-7. 2009
..The tilted configurations showed a lower absolute value of compressive stress compared with the nontilted, indicating a possible biomechanical advantage in reducing stresses at the bone-implant interface...
- Three-dimensional computed tomographic analysis of the maxilla in unilateral cleft lip and palate: implications for rhinoplasty
Department of Plastic Surgery, C S M Medical University, Lucknow, India
J Craniofac Surg 23:1338-42. 2012
..The dimensions of the maxilla in unilateral cleft lip and palate (UCLP) have not been studied especially in relation to the volumetric and ..
- Influence of endodontic treatment, post insertion, and ceramic restoration on the fracture resistance of maxillary premolars
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University School of Dental Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Int Endod J 43:469-77. 2010
..To investigate the effects of endodontic treatment, post placement and ceramic restoration type on the fracture resistance of premolars...
- Immediately restored single implants in the aesthetic zone of the maxilla using a novel design: 1-year report
Simon D K Brown
Oral Implantology Research Group, Sir John Walsh Research Institute, School of Dentistry, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Clin Oral Implants Res 22:445-54. 2011
To evaluate immediate placement and immediate restoration of a novel implant with a 12°-angled prosthodontic platform, in fresh extraction sockets of the aesthetic zone of the maxilla.
- A new rat model of maxilla allotransplantation
Department of Plastic Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Ann Plast Surg 58:338-44. 2007
We developed a rat model to test the effects of vascularized maxilla allotransplantation on composite maxillary substructures...
- Radiation-induced malignant fibrous histiocytoma of the maxilla
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Tokyo Medical University, 6 7 1, Nishishinjuku, Shinjukuku, Tokyo, 160 0023, Japan
Odontology 99:203-8. 2011
..We report on an MFH of the left maxilla that developed in a 79-year old woman 20 years after surgery and radiation for squamous cell carcinoma (SCC)...
- Immediate occlusal loading and tilted implants for the rehabilitation of the atrophic edentulous maxilla: 1-year interim results of a multicenter prospective study
Istituto Ortopedico Galeazzi IRCCS, Department of Odontology, Milan University, Milan, Italy
Clin Oral Implants Res 19:227-32. 2008
- Immediate loading of implants in the edentulous maxilla: use of an interim fixed prosthesis followed by a permanent fixed prosthesis: a 32-month prospective radiological and clinical study
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Faculty of Odontology, Malmo University, Malmo, Sweden
Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 11:1-10. 2009
The aim of this study was to prospectively evaluate the survival rate of splinted and immediately loaded Straumann sandblasted, large-grit, acid-etched, solid-screw dental implants in the edentulous maxilla after 32 months of loading.
- Transseptal approach for extended endoscopic resections of the maxilla and infratemporal fossa
Richard J Harvey
Department of Otolaryngology Skull Base Surgery, St Vincent s Hospital, Victoria Street, Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
Am J Rhinol Allergy 23:426-32. 2009
Larger and more extensive lesions of the maxilla and infratemporal fossa are being successfully managed by entirely endoscopic approaches. There are still limitations in access, especially the anterolateral maxilla...
- Correlations between transversal discrepancies of the upper maxilla and oral breathing
M R Giuca
Department of Surgery, Unit of Paediatric Dentistry, University of Pisa, Italy
Eur J Paediatr Dent 10:23-8. 2009
..The aim of the study was to evaluate the relationship between malocclusion with cross-bite and permeability of the upper airways, and to observe the cephalometric changes of the rhinopharyngeal space after rapid palatal expansion therapy...
- Bisphosphonate coating might improve fixation of dental implants in the maxilla: a pilot study
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital, SE 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:673-7. 2010
..Histology showed no abnormalities. Improvement in ISQ values was an expected effect of the bisphosphonate coating, but could be due to the choice of insertion site. This finding warrants a randomized, blinded study...
- Implant-supported fixed prostheses in the edentulous maxilla. A 2-year clinical and radiological follow-up of treatment with non-submerged ITI implants
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Community Hospital, Norrkoping, Sweden
Clin Oral Implants Res 15:351-9. 2004
To evaluate the survival rate of non-submerged solid-screw ITI dental implants with a rough (titanium plasma sprayed, TPS) surface in the edentulous maxilla after 1 and 2 years of loading.
- Evaluation of the use of iliac cancellous bone and anorganic bovine bone in the reconstruction of the atrophic maxilla with titanium mesh: a clinical and histologic investigation
Oral Surgery, School of Dentistry, University of Milan, Italy
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 16:427-32. 2001
..Bone specimens taken 5 to 6 months after the augmentation procedure showed bone regeneration and the presence of vessels, indicating bone vitality...
- An assessment of the accuracy of ridge-mapping in planning implant therapy for the anterior maxilla
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Dental School, University of Newcastle, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4BW, UK
Clin Oral Implants Res 11:34-8. 2000
The use of ridge-mapping to assess bone levels available for implant placement in the anterior maxilla avoids some of the problems associated with CT scanning...
- Long-term evaluation of maxillary reconstruction by iliac bone graft
Department of Oral Science, Nano and Biotechnologies, University G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 22:1702-7. 2011
..After a long period from the grafting (T2), BSP expression decreases along with MMP-2, VEGF, and iNOS, suggesting the presence of only weak arrangement phenomena of the graft...
- Nongrafting implant options for restoration of the edentulous maxilla
Michael S Block
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:872-81. 2009
Patients who need implant-supported prostheses in the maxilla might not have sufficient bone height in the posterior region for implants...
- Reconstruction of the atrophic maxilla with interpositional bone grafting/Le Fort I osteotomy and endosteal implants: a 11-16 year follow-up
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Umea, Sweden
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:1-6. 2009
..The bone level stabilised after 2 years. This technique results in good facial morphology, good oral function and aesthetics. All patients are still wearing their original fixed bridges...
- A 9-14 year follow-up of onlay bone grafting in the atrophic maxilla
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:111-6. 2009
Treatment of the atrophic edentulous maxilla is challenging especially when bone graft procedures are necessary...
- Single-tooth replacement in the anterior maxilla by means of immediate implantation and provisionalization: a review
Tim De Rouck
Department of Prosthodontics, Vrije Universiteit Brussel VUB, School of Dental Medicine, Brussels, Belgium
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 23:897-904. 2008
- Cancellous bone block allografts for the augmentation of the anterior atrophic maxilla
Department of Oral Rehabilitation, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 13:104-11. 2011
Pre-implant augmentative surgery is a prerequisite in many cases in the anterior maxilla to achieve a stable, long-term esthetic final result.
- Inlay-onlay grafting for three-dimensional reconstruction of the posterior atrophic maxilla with mandibular bone
Department of Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, Eastman Dental Hospital, Roma, Italy
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 39:350-7. 2010
This prospective study describes and evaluates a surgical approach for 3D reconstruction of the posterior maxilla with autogenous mandibular bone in 16 patients (mean age 51 years)...
- Responses of BrdU label-retaining dental pulp cells to allogenic tooth transplantation into mouse maxilla
Division of Endodontics, Department of Oral Medicine, Kanagawa Dental College, Yokosuka, Japan
Histochem Cell Biol 136:649-61. 2011
..This study aims to clarify responses of LRCs to allogenic tooth transplantation into mouse maxilla using prenatal BrdU-labeling, in situ hybridization for osteopontin and periostin, and immunohistochemistry for ..
- Influence of single-jaw surgery vs bimaxillary surgery on the outcome and duration of combined orthodontic-surgical treatment
Department of Orthodontics and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kent and Canterbury Hospital, United Kingdom
Angle Orthod 81:983-7. 2011
To analyze the effects of single-jaw surgery (mandible or maxilla only) vs bimaxillary surgery on final peer assessment rating (PAR) score outcome and overall treatment duration.
- Factors affecting soft tissue level around anterior maxillary single-tooth implants
Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry, Chulalongkorn University, Patumwan, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Oral Implants Res 21:662-70. 2010
..The aim of this study was to determine the factors that affected the facial marginal mucosal level and papilla level around single-tooth implants in the anterior maxilla.
- The challenge of implant therapy in the posterior maxilla: providing a rationale for the use of short implants
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Oral Implantol 33:257-66. 2007
Rehabilitating patients with a resorbed maxilla presents several challenges when the desired treatment plan involves the placement of endosseous implants...
- Malocclusion and crowding in an orthodontically referred Turkish population
M Ozgur Sayin
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Suleyman Demirel, Isparta, Turkey
Angle Orthod 74:635-9. 2004
..Moderate maxillary and severe mandibular crowding in the same patient was another rare finding for all malocclusion groups...
- Biomechanical analysis of the effects of implant diameter and bone quality in short implants placed in the atrophic posterior maxilla
Shih Hao Chang
Department of Periodontics, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5, Fusing St, Gueishan Township, Taoyuan County 333, Taiwan
Med Eng Phys 34:153-60. 2012
..Attaining a proper occlusal scheme design or selective occlusal adjustments to reduce the lateral occlusal force upon the SDIs is recommended...
- Comparison of biomechanical behaviour of maxilla following Le Fort I osteotomy with 2- versus 4-plate fixation using 3D-FEA. Part 1: advancement surgery
M S Atac
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Gazi University, 82 Sok 06510, Emek, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:1117-24. 2008
..aimed to calculate the location and intensity of the maximum stress fields on the fixation plates and surrounding maxilla following Le Fort I osteotomies after advancement procedures using three-dimensional finite element analysis...
- Cone-beam CT (CB Throne) applied to dentomaxillofacial region
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Tokyo Dental College, Japan
Bull Tokyo Dent Coll 47:133-41. 2006
..This article reports the characteristics of this system, and its diagnostic power for maxillofacial lesions and the pre-operative planning dental implants...
- Leprosy: dental and periodontal status of the anterior maxilla in 76 patients
J M Núñez-Martí
Hospital San Francisco de Borja de Fontilles, Alicante, Spain
Oral Dis 10:19-21. 2004
To evaluate the presence of oral disease, as assessed by dental and periodontal indices, in the anterior maxilla of a group of 76 patients with leprosy, compared with a group of matched control subjects.
- Atrophic jaw reconstruction by means of calvarial bone graft: long-term results
Department of Oral Science, University G D Annunzio, Chieti, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 21:1147-52. 2010
..On the contrary, these phenomena could not be observed in samples obtained after a long period (T2), which reveal a morphologic and an immunohistochemical pattern comparable to that recorded in calvarial native bone (T0)...