- Increased microvascular permeability in the hamster cheek pouch induced by oxidized low density lipoprotein (oxLDL) and some fragmented apolipoprotein B proteins
Laboratório de Imunologia Molecular, Instituto Biofísica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro
Inflamm Res 52:215-20. 2003
Oxidized low-density lipoproteins (oxLDL) and protein fractions obtained by size exclusion chromatography of oxLDL were tested for vascular permeability effects on topical application to the hamster cheek pouch.
- One-stage reconstruction of a defect of the oral commissure and of the cheek with a radial forearm free flap
From the Maxillofacial Surgery Department, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 19:1508-11. 2008
..In this work, the authors present a clinical report of cheek mucosal carcinoma extended to the omolateral lip commissure, which has required the full thickness removal of the ..
- Spindle-cell lipoma of the cheek: a case report
Dental School, University of Chieti, Chieti, Italy
Oral Oncol 36:495-6. 2000
..5% of all adipocytic tumours. Only nine cases of intraoral SCL were found in the literature. Microscopically, mature adipocytes and spindle cells are immersed in a myxoid stroma. SCL needs only local excision, and it does not recur...
- Photodynamic therapy of early squamous cell carcinoma with tetra(m-hydroxyphenyl)chlorin: optimal drug-light interval
S Andrejevic Blant
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery CHUV Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Cancer 76:1021-8. 1997
..A Syrian hamster cheek pouch tumour model was used in these experiments...
- Protective effects of insulin during ischemia-reperfusion injury in hamster cheek pouch microcirculation
Department of Neuroscience, Federico II University Medical School, Naples, Italy
J Vasc Res 42:55-66. 2005
..increase and leukocyte adhesion induced by ischemia-reperfusion injury were investigated in the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation...
- Hamsters chewing betel quid or areca nut directly show a decrease in body weight and survival rates with concomitant epithelial hyperplasia of cheek pouch
Chun Pin Chiang
Laboratory of Dental Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Dentistry, Graduate Institute of Clinical Dental Science, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University, No 1 Chang Te Street, Taipei 100
Oral Oncol 40:720-7. 2004
..Hamsters fed with AN for 18 months showed hyperkeratosis in 80% and acanthosis in 50% of cheek pouches...
- Extensive necrosis after injection of hyaluronic acid filler: case report and review of the literature
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 799 Park Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Cosmet Dermatol 10:224-31. 2011
..Dermal fillers temporarily remove the appearance of rhytids and reduce the depth of skin folds. Even with the most experienced of injectors, adverse effects can and do occur ranging from mild bruising to severe injection necrosis...
- A novel technique for cheek mucosa defect reconstruction using a pedicled buccal fat pad and buccinator myomucosal island flap
Maxillo Facial Surgery Division, Head and Neck Department, University and Hospital of Parma, Via Gramsci 14, 43100 Parma, Italy
Oral Oncol 45:59-62. 2009
Reconstruction of cheek mucosa defects following tumor resections can be approached with several techniques, depending on size of the defect. Fasciocutaneous and perforators free flaps are widely employed today for such reconstructions...
- Intermittent hypoxia modulates nitric oxide-dependent vasodilation and capillary perfusion during ischemia-reperfusion-induced damage
University of Pisa, Via Trieste 41, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 294:H1914-22. 2008
..Studies were made in the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation (intravital fluorescence microscopy)...
- Reconstruction of concomitant lip and cheek through-and-through defects with combined free flap and an advancement flap from the remaining lip
Seng Feng Jeng
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Kaohsiung, Chang Gung University, Niao Sung Hsiang, Kaohsiung Hsien, Taiwan
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:491-8. 2004
..b>Cheek defects ranged from 15 x 12 cm to 4 x 3 cm, and intraoral defects ranged from 14 x 8 cm to 5 x 4 cm in size...
- Repair of buccal defects with anterolateral thigh flaps
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, E Da Hospital I Shou University, Kaohsiung County, Taiwan, Republic of China
Microsurgery 26:182-9. 2006
- Combined approach for facial contour restoration: treatment of malar and cheek areas during rhytidectomy
Clínica Quirón de Barcelona, Unidad de Cirugía Plástica y Estética, Barcelona, Spain
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:491-7; discussion 498-501. 2006
..define the facial silhouette: the malar contour, with its bone support and superficial structures and, at the cheek level, intimately associated with the mastication system and the facial nerve, the buccal fat pad or Bichat fat pad...
- Anchored flaps in post-Mohs reconstruction of the lower eyelid, cheek, and lateral canthus: avoiding eyelid distortion
Gerald J Harris
Section of Orbital and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Department of Ophthalmology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, U S A
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 19:5-13. 2003
..Large flaps are anchored to fixed tissue to avoid transmitting flap tension to the eyelids...
- Selectivity of the photosensitiser Tookad for photodynamic therapy evaluated in the Syrian golden hamster cheek pouch tumour model
Institute of Environmental Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Cancer 89:2320-6. 2003
The response to photodynamic therapy (PDT) with the photosensitiser (PS) Tookad was measured in the Syrian hamster cheek pouch model on normal mucosae and chemically induced squamous cell carcinoma...
- Evaluation of the photosensitizer Tookad for photodynamic therapy on the Syrian golden hamster cheek pouch model: light dose, drug dose and drug-light interval effects
Institute of Environmental Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Photochem Photobiol 78:377-83. 2003
..analyzed by staging the macroscopic response and by the histological examination of the sections of the irradiated cheek pouch...
- Reconstruction of the lower eye lid with a rotation-advancement tarsoconjunctival cheek flap
William Louis Fick Wessels
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
J Craniofac Surg 21:1786-9. 2010
..A rotation-advancement tarsoconjunctival cheek flap, which reconstructs both posterior and anterior lamellae with vascularized tissue similar to the native ..
- Non-infiltrating angiolipoma of the cheek: a case report and review of the literature
Hasan Ayberk Altug
Turkish Military Academy, Dental Service, Cankaya, Ankara, Turkey
J Oral Sci 51:137-9. 2009
..The authors present the clinical and histological features of a non-infiltrating angiolipoma excised from the cheek of a 22-year old man...
- E. coli lipopolysaccharide attenuates adenosine A(1) receptor-mediated increase in plasma exudation from the hamster cheek pouch
Xiao Pei Gao
Department of Medicine M C 719, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, 840 South Wood Street, Chicago, IL 60612 4325, USA
Inflamm Res 60:195-201. 2011
To determine whether exposure to E. coli lipopolysaccharide (LPS) modulates adenosine A(1) receptor-induced increase in plasma exudation from the intact hamster cheek pouch microcirculation.
- Linear scleroderma "en coup de sabre" of the cheek
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Afyou Kocatepe University, Afyon, Turkey
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1091-4. 2003
- "Puffed-cheek" CT improves evaluation of the oral cavity
J L Weissman
Departments of Diagnostic Radiology and Otolaryngology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR 97201, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 22:741-4. 2001
..The current work investigates "puffed-cheek" CT to improve visualization of oral cavity tumors...
- Improved malar projection with transconjunctival hydroxyapatite granules
Kimberly L O'Hara
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:1956-63. 2006
..Augmentation of the zygomatic body enhances appearance and provides a more youthful look. Porous hydroxyapatite granules offer an alternative to alloplastic implants...
- Reconstruction of cheek defects: a review of current techniques
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 18:244-54. 2010
The article discusses the fundamental principles of cheek reconstruction and summarizes recently published techniques and reviews in the field.
- Detecting precancerous lesions in the hamster cheek pouch using spectroscopic white-light optical coherence tomography to assess nuclear morphology via spectral oscillations
Robert N Graf
Duke University, Department of Biomedical Engineering, 136 Hudson Hall, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
J Biomed Opt 14:064030. 2009
..tomography (OCT) measurements and applied it to probe nuclear morphology in tissue samples drawn from the hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis model...
- Effects of L-NA and sodium nitroprusside on ischemia/reperfusion-induced leukocyte adhesion and macromolecular leakage in hamster cheek pouch venules
Laboratório de Pesquisas em Microcirculação, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Sao Francisco Xavier 524, Rio de Janeiro, 20550 013, Brazil
Microvasc Res 62:128-35. 2001
..Ischemia was induced by an inflatable silicon rubber cuff mounted around the neck of the cheek pouch prepared for intravital microscopy...
- Lymphangiosarcoma presenting as asymptomatic swelling of the cheek
John G Hancox
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:530-1. 2007
- Remote microvascular preconditioning alters specific vasoactive responses
Mary D Frame
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8181, USA
Microcirculation 14:739-51. 2007
..The goal of this study was to further characterize RMP and to investigate the extent to which RMP altered local vasoactive responses...
- Functional lower lip reconstruction with bilateral cheek advancement flaps: revisitation of Webster method with a minor modification in the technique
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Leopold Franzens University of Innsbrug, Innsbruck, Austria
Aesthetic Plast Surg 26:423-8. 2002
Major defects of the lower lip have been repaired in many ways. Of these, some employed flaps from the chin, cheek or upper lip. Some of these procedures employed flaps without regard for the facial grooves or landmarks...
- Connexin isoform expression in smooth muscle cells and endothelial cells of hamster cheek pouch arterioles and retractor feed arteries
Chady H Hakim
University of Missouri, Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, Columbia, Missouri 65212, USA
Microcirculation 15:503-14. 2008
- Reconstruction of through-and-through cheek defects involving the oral commissure, using chimeric flaps from the thigh lateral femoral circumflex system
Wei Chao Huang
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Tao Yuan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:433-41; discussion 442-3. 2002
Repairing full-thickness cheek defects involving the oral commissure in the head and neck regions after tumor resection is a challenge for reconstructive surgeons. First, they are usually relatively large defects...
- Platysma myocutaneous flap for reconstruction of skin defects in the head and neck
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:383-6. 2008
..applications have expanded from the reconstruction of intraoral defects to include laryngo-pharyngeal, lip, and cheek defects. The platysma flap can be superiorly, posteriorly, or inferiorly-based...
- Anatomic guidelines for augmentation of the cheek and infraorbital hollow
Department of Ophthalmology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Dermatol Surg 38:1223-33. 2012
..Mid-face reflation requires a sophisticated knowledge of bony and soft tissue anatomy...
- Alloplastic contouring for suborbital, maxillary, zygomatic deficiencies
Edward O Terino
Plastic Surgery Institute of Southern California, 327 South Moorpark Road, Thousand Oaks, CA 91361, USA
Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 16:33-67, v. 2008
..This technique does not require any removal of fat from the orbit nor does it require extensive dissection of fat. This operation successfully and satisfactorily creates an optimum blending of the lid-cheek junction.
- Myofibrosarcoma of subcutaneous soft tissue of the cheek
B P Eyden
Department of Histopathology, Christie Hospital N H S Trust, Manchester, U K
J Submicrosc Cytol Pathol 24:307-13. 1992
..The combination of electron microscopy for detecting the fibronexus junction and immunostaining for fibronectin at the cell periphery is suggested as potentially useful for distinguishing myofibrosarcoma from leiomyosarcoma...
- Severe cheek and lower eyelid lymphedema after resection of oropharyngeal tumor and radiation
Adam T Silverman
University of Illinois Medical Center at Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Craniofac Surg 21:598-601. 2010
..The massive cheek and eyelid lymphedema, which extended from the patient's left lower eyelid to patient's oral commissure measured ..
- Chondroma of the cheek: A case report
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Oral Medicine and Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:924-6. 2005
An extremely rare case of soft tissue chondroma occurring in the right cheek of a 47-year-old woman is reported. The localized nodular tumor was encapsulated and composed of hyalinized cartilage with fine calcifications...
- Time to turn the other cheek? The influence of left and right poses on perceptions of academic specialisation
Annukka K Lindell
School of Psychological Science, La Trobe University, Australia
Laterality 15:639-50. 2010
The human face expresses emotion asymmetrically. Whereas the left cheek is more emotionally expressive, the right cheek appears more impassive, hence the appropriate cheek to put forward depends on the circumstance...
- Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma of the cheek
Fourth ENT Clinic, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Laryngol Otol 120:141-4. 2006
..Only one case of buccal extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma has been reported to date. We present a case of buccal extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma that was excised completely following embolization and we also review the literature...
- Biomechanical evaluation of the equine masticatory action: calculation of the masticatory forces occurring on the cheek tooth battery
Institute of Anatomy, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Bischofsholer Damm 15, D 30173 Hannover, Germany
J Biomech 42:67-70. 2009
..Due to the limited accessibility of the cheek teeth located farther caudal in the equine oral cavity the measurement of the masticatory forces on these teeth is ..
- Leukocyte adhesion after oxidant challenge in the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation
Laboratório de Pesquisas em Microcirculação, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Vasc Res 36:11-4. 1999
..inhibits oxidant-induced increase in macromolecular permeability in the postcapillary venules of the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation...
- Longchain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and microvascular reactivity: observation in the hamster cheek pouch
Cristiane M S Conde
Laboratório de Pesquisas em Microcirculação, Pavilhão Reitor Haroldo Lisboa da Cunha, terreo, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Sao Francisco Xavier, 524, 20550 013 Rio de Janeiro RJ, Brazil
Microvasc Res 73:237-47. 2007
Previous experiments in our laboratory, using the hamster cheek pouch microcirculation, have shown that precapillary vessels exhibit spontaneous rhythmic luminal variations, termed vasomotion, a myogenic activity sustained by a balance ..
- The tear trough and lid/cheek junction: anatomy and implications for surgical correction
Nicholas T Haddock
Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 123:1332-40; discussion 1341-2. 2009
The tear trough and the lid/cheek junction become more visible with age. These landmarks are adjacent, forming in some patients a continuous indentation or groove below the infraorbital rim...
- The subcutaneous cervicofacial flap revisited
William G Austen
Division of Plastic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Plast Surg 62:149-53. 2009
..Over a 20-year period, we reviewed all patients who underwent subcutaneous cervicofacial flaps for cheek defects to analyze complications and results...
- Angioleiomyoma: an unusual diagnosis for a lump in the cheek
Department Oral Medicine, King s College London Dental Institute, London, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 47:641-2. 2009
..Deep dissection to excise the mass completely caused no damage to nerves and there has been no recurrence...
- The neem limonoids azadirachtin and nimbolide inhibit hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis by modulating xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes, DNA damage, antioxidants, invasion and angiogenesis
Ramamurthi Vidya Priyadarsini
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Free Radic Res 43:492-504. 2009
..On a comparative basis, nimbolide was found to be a more potent antioxidant and chemopreventive agent and offers promise as a candidate agent in multitargeted prevention and treatment of cancer...
- Fructose diet and VEGF-induced plasma extravasation in hamster cheek pouch
Département Diabète et Maladies Métaboliques Institut de Recherches Servier, 92150 Suresnes, France
Acta Pharmacol Sin 24:207-11. 2003
To determine in the hamster cheek pouch whether or not the changes in plasma extravasation induced by vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) could be affected by fructose diet.
- Immunohistochemical detection of matrix metalloproteinase-1 in the periodontal ligament of equine cheek teeth
Institute of Anatomy, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Bischofsholer Damm 15, D 30173 Hannover, Germany
Tissue Cell 39:369-76. 2007
The hypsodont equine cheek tooth erupts continuously throughout life. The collagen fibers of the periodontal ligament (PDL) have to remodel constantly to allow the tooth to move in an occlusal direction...
- Capillary-based fully integrated and automated system for nanoliter polymerase chain reaction analysis directly from cheek cells
Ames Laboratory-US Department of Energy and Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University, 50011, USA
J Chromatogr A 924:271-84. 2001
..and automated system based on capillary fluidics has been developed for nanoliter DNA analysis directly from cheek cells...
- Bipaddle pectoralis major myocutaneous flap in reconstructing full thickness defects of cheek: a review of 47 cases
Quazi Ghazwan Ahmad
Plastic, Reconstructive and Microsurgical Services, Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:166-73. 2006
We present a series of reconstruction of 47 patients with large full thickness cheek defects secondary to cancer ablative surgery. All patients were reconstructed primarily by bipaddle pectoralis major myocutaneous (PMMC) flap...
- Quality assessment of buccal versus blood genomic DNA using the Affymetrix 500 K GeneChip
Jessica G Woo
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, 321 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267, USA
BMC Genet 8:79. 2007
..We sought to describe the genomic DNA yield and concordance between stored buccal brushes and blood samples from the same individuals in the context of Affymetrix 500 K Human GeneChip genotyping...
- Deep plane cervicofacial flap: a useful and versatile technique in head and neck surgery
Swee T Tan
Head and Neck and Skull Base Surgery Oncology Programme, Wellington Regional Plastic, Maxillofacial and Burns Unit, Hutt Hospital, Private Bag 31907, Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Head Neck 28:46-55. 2006
Large oncosurgical defects of the cheek present a challenging reconstructive problem, especially when skin resections are combined with other procedures such as parotidectomy and/or neck dissection.
- Functional reconstruction of complex lip and cheek defect with free composite anterolateral thigh flap and vascularized fascia
Yur Ren Kuo
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Head Neck 30:1001-6. 2008
Extensive composite defects involving the lip and cheek present difficult reconstructive challenges...
- [Which treatment for the malar bags?]
Service de chirurgie maxillofaciale, plastique et esthétique, centre hospitalier intercommunal R Ballanger, Boulevard Robert Ballanger, Aulnay sous Bois, France
Ann Chir Plast Esthet 54:57-70. 2009
..So the surgeon will be able to choose the most adapted treatment, which is most often a midface sub-periosteal lift associated with a blepharoplasty...
- Increased expression of cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 in DMBA-induced hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis and chemopreventive effect of a selective COX-2 inhibitor celecoxib
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hyogo College of Medicine, Mukogawa cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 33:614-21. 2004
..In recent years, overexpression of cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 protein and mRNA has been reported in various cancer tissues. Therefore, it has been suggested that COX-2 is related to carcinogenesis...
- Contribution of active membrane processes to conducted hyperpolarization in arterioles of hamster cheek pouch
Glenis J Crane
The John B Piercy Laboratory, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Microcirculation 11:425-33. 2004
..The authors tested the hypothesis that the conduction of hyperpolarization involves active membrane processes as the signal travels along the arteriolar wall...
- Including the platysma muscle in a cervicofacial skin rotation flap to enhance blood supply for reconstruction of vast orbital and cheek defects: anatomical considerations and surgical technique
S G Hakim
Department Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Luebeck, Luebeck, Germany
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:1316-9. 2009
..The surgical procedures led to sufficient and successful reconstruction of the orbital and cheek region...
- Parallel frequency-domain optical coherence tomography scatter-mode imaging of the hamster cheek pouch using a thermal light source
R N Graf
Department of Biomedical Engineering and the Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Opt Lett 33:1285-7. 2008
..frequency-domain optical coherence tomography (FDOCT) system to generate a scatter-mode image of the hamster cheek pouch epithelium...
- Three-dimensional endoscopic midface enhancement: a personal quest for the ideal cheek rejuvenation
Oscar M Ramirez
Plastic Surgery Division of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:329-40; discussion 341-9. 2002
..This provides a volumetric cheek augmentation and improvement of the jowl...
- Retinoblastoma presenting with a cheek mass
Department of Ophthalmology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Natl Med Assoc 97:1553-5. 2005
..of a case of retinoblastoma that mimicked Burkitt's lymphoma by presenting with a left proptosis and a right cheek mass...
- Improvement of neck and cheek laxity with a nonablative radiofrequency device: a lifting experience
Tina S Alster
Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, 2311 M Street NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Dermatol Surg 30:503-7; discussion 507. 2004
Laxity of cheek and neck skin is a common cosmetic complaint of patients as they age. Improvement of skin laxity can be difficult to achieve without invasive surgical lifting procedures...
- Evaluation of chlorin p6 for photodynamic treatment of squamous cell carcinoma in the hamster cheek pouch model
Biomedical Applications Section, Centre for Advanced Technology, Rajendra Nagar, PO CAT, Indore, MP 452 013, India
Oral Oncol 42:77-82. 2006
We studied pharmacokinetics and tumor response to photodynamic therapy (PDT) using chlorin p6 (CP6) in hamster cheek pouch model. CP6 was administered either intraperitoneally (IP) at a dose of 1...
- Effects of respiratory timing and cheek support on resistance measurements, before and after bronchodilation in asthmatic children using the interrupter technique
Paediatric Department, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, Guy s, King s, St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College, London, UK
Pediatr Pulmonol 36:495-501. 2003
..b>Cheek support improved the correlation with all the lung function results, both in inspiratory and expiratory ..
- Insight into the mechanisms underlying tumor response to boron neutron capture therapy in the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model
Romina F Aromando
Department of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Oral Pathol Med 38:448-54. 2009
The therapeutic success of different boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) protocols employing the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model has been previously reported by our laboratory...
- Detection of temporal lobe spikes: comparing nasopharyngeal, cheek and anterior temporal electrodes to simultaneous subdural recordings
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, F02 201, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Neurophysiol 119:1771-7. 2008
To compare nasopharyngeal (NP), cheek and anterior temporal (AT) electrodes for the detection yield and localization of interictal spikes in temporal lobe epilepsy.
- The supernumerary cheek tooth in tabby/EDA mice-a reminiscence of the premolar in mouse ancestors
Department of Teratology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Sciences CR, Videnska 1083, 14220 Prague, Czech Republic
Arch Oral Biol 50:219-25. 2005
A supernumerary cheek tooth occurs mesially to the first molar in tabby/EDA (Ta) mice affected by hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia...
- Involvement of the 5-lipoxygenase/leukotriene A4 hydrolase pathway in 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA)-induced oral carcinogenesis in hamster cheek pouch, and inhibition of carcinogenesis by its inhibitors
Cancer Research Program, Julius L Chambers Biomedical Biotechnology Research Institute, North Carolina Central University, NC 27707, USA
Carcinogenesis 27:1902-8. 2006
..A4 hydrolase (LTA4H) pathway of AA metabolism in 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA)-induced hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis...
- Bilateral cheek-to-nose advancement flap: an alternative to the paramedian forehead flap for reconstruction of the nose
Department of General and Visceral Surgery, Augusta Kranken Anstalt, Academic Teaching Hospital of the Ruhr University Bochum, German
Acta Chir Plast 49:67-70. 2007
..The paramedian forehead flap is one commonly used technique. In this study we describe the bilateral cheek-to-nose advancement flap as an alternative to the paramedian forehead flap in patients with strong nasolabial ..
- Accurate and anatomic midface filler injection by using cheek implants as an injection template
Dermatol Surg 34:93-5; discussion 96. 2008
- Donor-site morbidity in buccal mucosa urethroplasty: lower lip or inner cheek?
Department of Urology, Mannheim University Hospital, Mannheim, Germany
BJU Int 96:619-23. 2005
To evaluate donor-site complications of buccal mucosa urethroplasty and whether there is a difference in morbidity between harvesting the mucosa graft from the inner cheek or the lower lip.
- Effects of Spirulina platensis extract on Syrian hamster cheek pouch mucosa painted with 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene
Mohammed E Grawish
Faculty of Dentistry, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Oral Oncol 44:956-62. 2008
..Consequently, S. platensis is an adjunctive means to inhibit the dysplastic changes occurring in the hamster cheek pouch (HCP) mucosa. However, more research is needed to expand its beneficial action.
- Evaluation of a calcium hydroxylapatite-based implant (Radiesse) for facial soft-tissue augmentation
David A Jansen
Section of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tulane University, New Orleans, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:22S-30S, discussion 31S-33S. 2006
..The authors sought to evaluate the long-term clinical efficacy and safety of a calcium hydroxylapatite-based filler (Radiesse) for facial soft-tissue augmentation...
- Subcutaneous benign fibrous histiocytoma of the cheek. Case report and review of the literature
C E Skoulakis
Department of Otolaryngology, General Hospital of Volo, Greece
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 27:90-3. 2007
..A 19-year-old male presented with a painless swelling on the right cheek. Detailed clinical and laboratory examinations were performed...
- Increased apoptosis during morphogenesis of the lower cheek teeth in tabby/EDA mice
Department of Teratology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Sciences of the CR, Prague, Czech Republic
J Dent Res 84:228-33. 2005
..histological sections and computer-aided 3D reconstructions, we investigated epithelial apoptosis in the lower cheek dentition at embryonic days 14.5-17.5...
- New split scar cheek flap in reconstruction of noma sequelae
T S Kühnel
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, D 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Br J Plast Surg 56:528-33. 2003
The use of a split-scar cheek flap is demonstrated for restoration of lining in reconstructing the oral commissure in cases of noma.
- Apoptosis, proliferation and p12(doc-1) profiles in normal, dysplastic and malignant squamous epithelium of the Syrian hamster cheek pouch model
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Oral Oncol 38:274-80. 2002
- Improvements in cheek volume in lipoatrophic individuals switching away from thymidine nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors
Department of Genitourinary Medicine, Mortimer Market Centre, Camden PCT, off Capper Street, London WC1E 6JB, UK
HIV Med 10:351-5. 2009
..Facial changes cannot be assessed by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans. There are limited objective data on the reversibility of facial lipoatrophy...
- Solitary fibrous tumour of the mouth: report of two cases involving the tongue and cheek
P A Vargas
Department of Oral Pathology, University of Campinas, Dental School, Piracicaba SP, Brazil
Oral Dis 8:111-5. 2002
..Case 1 was a 3 cm nodule on the right cheek. Hypo and hypercellular adjacent areas were mainly patternless, and the stroma was formed by thin collagen fibrils...
- Characterization of adenosine receptors mediating the vasodilator effects of adenosine receptor agonists in the microvasculature of the hamster cheek pouch in vivo
School of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, UK
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 22:209-14. 2002
..study was to characterize the adenosine receptor mediating vasodilation in the microvasculature of the hamster cheek pouch in vivo...
- Serum, cheek cell and breast milk fatty acid compositions in infants with atopic and non-atopic eczema
Department of Paediatrics, Turku University Central Hospital, Turku, Finland
Clin Exp Allergy 36:166-73. 2006
..The major theory implicating diet with allergic diseases is associated with altered food consumption and subsequent changes in fatty acid composition...
- Carcinogenic effects of MGP-7 and B[a]P on the hamster cheek pouch
Jimi Lynn Brandon
The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Carcinogenesis, Smithville, TX 78957, USA
Toxicol Pathol 37:733-40. 2009
..the carcinogenic effects of benzo[a]pyrene (B[a]P) and manufactured gas plant (MGP) residues on the hamster cheek pouch (HCP)...
- Extra-abdominal fibromatosis of the cheek: report of a case
Division of Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Oral Medicine and Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1222-6. 2005
- Multiple dermoid cysts on the cheek
Br J Dermatol 152:1387-9. 2005
- Bobbing along on the crest of a wave: NO ascends hamster cheek pouch arterioles
Circ Res 93:9-11. 2003
- Photodynamic therapy for premalignant lesions in DMBA-treated hamsters: a preliminary study
J S Kingsbury
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Dental Medicine 14214, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 55:376-81; discussion 381-2. 1997
..The aim of this investigation was to determine if this premalignant tissue could be selectively destroyed by systemically administered Photofrin activated by 630 nm red light via an argon dye laser...
- Cheek and eyelid reconstruction: the resurrection of the angle rotation flap
Institute for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:1425-30; discussion 1431-3. 2005
Reconstruction of larger cheek and eyelid defects may pose a dilemma for surgeons, since flaps used in reconstruction may be difficult to design, be unreliable, require extensive dissection, and result in neck scarring...
- Arteriolar smooth muscle Ca2+ dynamics during blood flow control in hamster cheek pouch
Johan Fredrik Brekke
The John B Pierce Laboratory and Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 290 Congress Ave, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
J Appl Physiol 101:307-15. 2006
..Aparenchymal segments of second-order arterioles (diameter 35 +/- 2 microm) were prepared in the superfused cheek pouch of anesthetized hamsters (n = 18) and perifused with the ratiometric dye fura PE-3 (AM) to load SMC (1 ..
- Prospective, open-label, 18-month trial of calcium hydroxylapatite (Radiesse) for facial soft-tissue augmentation in patients with human immunodeficiency virus-associated lipoatrophy: one-year durability
Stacey L Silvers
Chelsea Eye and Cosmetic Surgery Associates, New York, NY 10011, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:34S-45S. 2006
..The objective was to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of soft-tissue augmentation of calcium hydroxylapatite (Radiesse) in patients with facial lipoatrophy secondary to human immunodeficiency virus disease...
- [Reconstruction of oral mucosa with a micro-vascularized fascia-cutaneous flap from the forearm]
Miguel Burgueño García
Servicio de Cirugia Maxilofacial, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid
An Otorrinolaringol Ibero Am 29:289-300. 2002
..The conclusion reached is that the mucovascularized forearm flaps give a great quantity of thin tissue and therefore so results to be the best option for the reconstruction of the jugal mucosa...
- Microsurgical reconstruction of the buccal mucosa
B S Lutz
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, and Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Clin Plast Surg 28:339-47, ix. 2001
..This article addresses the reconstruction of the buccal mucosa, which is necessary after tumor resection and contracture release...
- Clavipectoral osteomyocutaneous free flap in oromandibular reconstruction
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Otolaryngol 36:186-90. 2007
..We recently described the clavipectoral osteocutaneous flap for mandibular reconstruction. This flap encompasses the clavicle and the clavicular head of the pectoralis major with overlying skin...
- Aesthetic outcome of sliding island flap for reconstruction of cheek after tumour ablation
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, PGMI Hayatabad Medical Complex Peshawar
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 17:15-8. 2005
..The objective of this study was to report the aesthetic results of sliding island flap on the cheek.
- One-stage reconstruction of a large defect of the lower lip and oral commissure
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, 5 Zaifu cho, Hirosaki 036 8216, Japan
Br J Plast Surg 58:614-8. 2005
..For the cutaneous defects, in one a local flap was elevated from the adjacent cheek and in the other a turned over area of the forearm flap was used...
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the buccal mucosa: an aggressive cancer requiring multimodality treatment
Chun Shu Lin
Department of Radiation Oncology, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, 325 Section 2 Cheng Kong Rd, Nei Hu, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Head Neck 28:150-7. 2006
..We intend to define the pattern and incidence of failure of buccal cancer and provide information for the design of a better multimodality treatment...
- Innervated buccal musculomucosal flap for wider vermilion and orbicularis oris muscle reconstruction
Plastic Surgery Department, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Chinese Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:846-52. 2005
- 'Turbaned' forehead flap
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 61:594-5. 2008
- S-allylcysteine, a garlic constituent, inhibits 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis
Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar-608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Nutr Cancer 40:165-72. 2001
..We suggest that SAC exerts its chemopreventive effects by modulating lipid peroxidation and enhancing antioxidant activities in the target organ as well as in the liver and circulation...
- Reconstruction of a large surgical defect on the lower eyelid and infraorbital cheek
Alysa R Herman
Department of Dermatology, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA
Dermatol Surg 31:689-91. 2005
An 83-year-old white woman was referred for Mohs micrographic surgery of a lentigo maligna on the left malar cheek. The tumor was completely removed in four stages, leaving an irregularly shaped defect that measured 3.8 x 4...
- Chemoprevention of oral cancer by black raspberries
Bruce C Casto
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Anticancer Res 22:4005-15. 2002
..In the study reported herein, the hamster cheek pouch (HCP) was used to evaluate the ability of black raspberries to inhibit oral cavity tumors...
- Reconstruction of perioral defects following resection for oral squamous cell carcinoma
James J Closmann
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 0440, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:367-74. 2006
..The aim of this study was to review and describe techniques for the reconstruction of large, complex perioral defects after resection of oral squamous cell carcinoma with emphasis on cosmetic and functional outcome...
- [Cheek defect reconstruction with a vertical translation flap: nine cases]
Service de chirurgie maxillofaciale, stomatologique et plastique de la face, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, 165, Chemin du Grand Revoyet, 69495 Pierre Benite Cedex, France
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 109:15-9. 2008
..Surgery is the common treatment of those lesions and the operative defect can be important. The aim of this study was to present reconstruction of lateromedial cheek defects with a vertical translation flap.
- Fibroblast growth factor-2 expression during experimental oral carcinogenesis. Its possible role in the induction of pre-malignant fibrosis
A R Raimondi
Oral Pathology Department, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Oral Pathol Med 35:212-7. 2006
..To date, the activity of FGF during the development of oral pre-cancerous lesions has not been analyzed. We herein evaluated the role of FGF-2 in the pre-cancerous and cancerous lesions in the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model.
- Squamous cell carcinomas arising from different types of oral epithelia differ in their tumor and patient characteristics and survival
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Lemminkaisenkatu 2, FIN 20520 Turku, Finland
Oral Oncol 43:911-9. 2007
..It would seem to be meaningful to investigate the molecular characteristics of the different types of oral epithelium in order to elucidate possible differences in their susceptibility to malignant transformation...