- Increased expression of cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 in DMBA-induced hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis and chemopreventive effect of a selective COX-2 inhibitor celecoxib
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hyogo College of Medicine, Mukogawa-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 33:614-21. 2004
..CONCLUSIONS: The COX-2 expression was increased during hamster cheek pouch chemical carcinogenesis...
- The subcutaneous cervicofacial flap revisited
William G Austen
Division of Plastic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Ann Plast Surg 62:149-53. 2009
..Over a 20-year period, we reviewed all patients who underwent subcutaneous cervicofacial flaps for cheek defects to analyze complications and results...
- Deep plane cervicofacial flap: a useful and versatile technique in head and neck surgery
Swee T Tan
Head and Neck and Skull Base Surgery Oncology Programme, Wellington Regional Plastic, Maxillofacial and Burns Unit, Hutt Hospital, Private Bag 31907, Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Head Neck 28:46-55. 2006
Large oncosurgical defects of the cheek present a challenging reconstructive problem, especially when skin resections are combined with other procedures such as parotidectomy and/or neck dissection.
- Including the platysma muscle in a cervicofacial skin rotation flap to enhance blood supply for reconstruction of vast orbital and cheek defects: anatomical considerations and surgical technique
S G Hakim
Department Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Luebeck, Luebeck, Germany
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:1316-9. 2009
..The surgical procedures led to sufficient and successful reconstruction of the orbital and cheek region...
- [Which treatment for the malar bags?]
Service de chirurgie maxillofaciale, plastique et esthétique, centre hospitalier intercommunal R Ballanger, Boulevard Robert Ballanger, Aulnay sous Bois, France
Ann Chir Plast Esthet 54:57-70. 2009
..So the surgeon will be able to choose the most adapted treatment, which is most often a midface sub-periosteal lift associated with a blepharoplasty...
- Retinoblastoma presenting with a cheek mass
Department of Ophthalmology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria
J Natl Med Assoc 97:1553-5. 2005
..of a case of retinoblastoma that mimicked Burkitt's lymphoma by presenting with a left proptosis and a right cheek mass...
- Bipaddle pectoralis major myocutaneous flap in reconstructing full thickness defects of cheek: a review of 47 cases
Quazi Ghazwan Ahmad
Plastic, Reconstructive and Microsurgical Services, Tata Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:166-73. 2006
We present a series of reconstruction of 47 patients with large full thickness cheek defects secondary to cancer ablative surgery. All patients were reconstructed primarily by bipaddle pectoralis major myocutaneous (PMMC) flap...
- The neem limonoids azadirachtin and nimbolide inhibit hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis by modulating xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes, DNA damage, antioxidants, invasion and angiogenesis
Ramamurthi Vidya Priyadarsini
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Free Radic Res 43:492-504. 2009
..On a comparative basis, nimbolide was found to be a more potent antioxidant and chemopreventive agent and offers promise as a candidate agent in multitargeted prevention and treatment of cancer...
- Angioleiomyoma: an unusual diagnosis for a lump in the cheek
Department Oral Medicine, King s College London Dental Institute, London, United Kingdom
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 47:641-2. 2009
..Deep dissection to excise the mass completely caused no damage to nerves and there has been no recurrence...
- Contribution of active membrane processes to conducted hyperpolarization in arterioles of hamster cheek pouch
Glenis J Crane
The John B. Piercy Laboratory, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Microcirculation 11:425-33. 2004
..membrane potential were made from either the smooth muscle or endothelial cell layer of arterioles of the hamster cheek pouch in vivo...
- Capillary-based fully integrated and automated system for nanoliter polymerase chain reaction analysis directly from cheek cells
Ames Laboratory-US Department of Energy and Department of Chemistry, Iowa State University, 50011, USA
J Chromatogr A 924:271-84. 2001
..and automated system based on capillary fluidics has been developed for nanoliter DNA analysis directly from cheek cells...
- Immunohistochemical detection of matrix metalloproteinase-1 in the periodontal ligament of equine cheek teeth
Institute of Anatomy, University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover, Bischofsholer Damm 15, D 30173 Hannover, Germany
Tissue Cell 39:369-76. 2007
The hypsodont equine cheek tooth erupts continuously throughout life. The collagen fibers of the periodontal ligament (PDL) have to remodel constantly to allow the tooth to move in an occlusal direction...
- Three-dimensional endoscopic midface enhancement: a personal quest for the ideal cheek rejuvenation
Oscar M Ramirez
Plastic Surgery Division of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:329-40; discussion 341-9. 2002
..This provides a volumetric cheek augmentation and improvement of the jowl...
- Fructose diet and VEGF-induced plasma extravasation in hamster cheek pouch
Département Diabète et Maladies Métaboliques Institut de Recherches Servier, 92150 Suresnes, France
Acta Pharmacol Sin 24:207-11. 2003
To determine in the hamster cheek pouch whether or not the changes in plasma extravasation induced by vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) could be affected by fructose diet.
- Involvement of the 5-lipoxygenase/leukotriene A4 hydrolase pathway in 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA)-induced oral carcinogenesis in hamster cheek pouch, and inhibition of carcinogenesis by its inhibitors
Cancer Research Program, Julius L. Chambers Biomedical/Biotechnology Research Institute, North Carolina Central University, NC 27707, USA
Carcinogenesis 27:1902-8. 2006
..A4 hydrolase (LTA4H) pathway of AA metabolism in 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene (DMBA)-induced hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis...
- Donor-site morbidity in buccal mucosa urethroplasty: lower lip or inner cheek?
Department of Urology, Mannheim University Hospital, Mannheim, Germany
BJU Int 96:619-23. 2005
To evaluate donor-site complications of buccal mucosa urethroplasty and whether there is a difference in morbidity between harvesting the mucosa graft from the inner cheek or the lower lip.
- Accurate and anatomic midface filler injection by using cheek implants as an injection template
Dermatol Surg 34:93-5; discussion 96. 2008
- The supernumerary cheek tooth in tabby/EDA mice-a reminiscence of the premolar in mouse ancestors
Department of Teratology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Sciences CR, Videnska 1083, 14220 Prague, Czech Republic
Arch Oral Biol 50:219-25. 2005
A supernumerary cheek tooth occurs mesially to the first molar in tabby/EDA (Ta) mice affected by hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia...
- Bilateral cheek-to-nose advancement flap: an alternative to the paramedian forehead flap for reconstruction of the nose
Department of General and Visceral Surgery, Augusta Kranken Anstalt, Academic Teaching Hospital of the Ruhr University Bochum, German
Acta Chir Plast 49:67-70. 2007
..The paramedian forehead flap is one commonly used technique. In this study we describe the bilateral cheek-to-nose advancement flap as an alternative to the paramedian forehead flap in patients with strong nasolabial ..
- New split scar cheek flap in reconstruction of noma sequelae
T S Kühnel
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, D 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Br J Plast Surg 56:528-33. 2003
The use of a split-scar cheek flap is demonstrated for restoration of lining in reconstructing the oral commissure in cases of noma.
- Effects of respiratory timing and cheek support on resistance measurements, before and after bronchodilation in asthmatic children using the interrupter technique
Paediatric Department, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, Guy s, King s, St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College, London, UK
Pediatr Pulmonol 36:495-501. 2003
..b>Cheek support improved the correlation with all the lung function results, both in inspiratory and expiratory ..
- Insight into the mechanisms underlying tumor response to boron neutron capture therapy in the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model
Romina F Aromando
Department of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Oral Pathol Med 38:448-54. 2009
The therapeutic success of different boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) protocols employing the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model has been previously reported by our laboratory...
- Effects of Spirulina platensis extract on Syrian hamster cheek pouch mucosa painted with 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene
Mohammed E Grawish
Faculty of Dentistry, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Oral Oncol 44:956-62. 2008
..Consequently, S. platensis is an adjunctive means to inhibit the dysplastic changes occurring in the hamster cheek pouch (HCP) mucosa. However, more research is needed to expand its beneficial action.
- Characterization of adenosine receptors mediating the vasodilator effects of adenosine receptor agonists in the microvasculature of the hamster cheek pouch in vivo
School of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, UK
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 22:209-14. 2002
..study was to characterize the adenosine receptor mediating vasodilation in the microvasculature of the hamster cheek pouch in vivo...
- Apoptosis, proliferation and p12(doc-1) profiles in normal, dysplastic and malignant squamous epithelium of the Syrian hamster cheek pouch model
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Oral Oncol 38:274-80. 2002
- Solitary fibrous tumour of the mouth: report of two cases involving the tongue and cheek
P A Vargas
Department of Oral Pathology, University of Campinas, Dental School, Piracicaba SP, Brazil
Oral Dis 8:111-5. 2002
..Case 1 was a 3 cm nodule on the right cheek. Hypo and hypercellular adjacent areas were mainly patternless, and the stroma was formed by thin collagen fibrils...
- Evaluation of chlorin p6 for photodynamic treatment of squamous cell carcinoma in the hamster cheek pouch model
Biomedical Applications Section, Centre for Advanced Technology, Rajendra Nagar, PO CAT, Indore, MP 452 013, India
Oral Oncol 42:77-82. 2006
We studied pharmacokinetics and tumor response to photodynamic therapy (PDT) using chlorin p6 (CP6) in hamster cheek pouch model. CP6 was administered either intraperitoneally (IP) at a dose of 1...
- Detection of temporal lobe spikes: comparing nasopharyngeal, cheek and anterior temporal electrodes to simultaneous subdural recordings
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, F02 201, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Neurophysiol 119:1771-7. 2008
To compare nasopharyngeal (NP), cheek and anterior temporal (AT) electrodes for the detection yield and localization of interictal spikes in temporal lobe epilepsy.
- Subcutaneous benign fibrous histiocytoma of the cheek. Case report and review of the literature
C E Skoulakis
Department of Otolaryngology, General Hospital of Volo, Greece
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 27:90-3. 2007
..A 19-year-old male presented with a painless swelling on the right cheek. Detailed clinical and laboratory examinations were performed...
- Serum, cheek cell and breast milk fatty acid compositions in infants with atopic and non-atopic eczema
Department of Paediatrics, Turku University Central Hospital, Turku, Finland
Clin Exp Allergy 36:166-73. 2006
..The major theory implicating diet with allergic diseases is associated with altered food consumption and subsequent changes in fatty acid composition...
- Hamsters chewing betel quid or areca nut directly show a decrease in body weight and survival rates with concomitant epithelial hyperplasia of cheek pouch
Laboratory of Dental Pharmacology and Toxicology, Department of Dentistry, Graduate Institute of Clinical Dental Science, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University, No. 1 Chang-Te Street, Taipei 100
Oral Oncol 40:720-7. 2004
..Hamsters fed with AN for 18 months showed hyperkeratosis in 80% and acanthosis in 50% of cheek pouches...
- Increased apoptosis during morphogenesis of the lower cheek teeth in tabby/EDA mice
Department of Teratology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Sciences of the CR, Prague, Czech Republic
J Dent Res 84:228-33. 2005
..histological sections and computer-aided 3D reconstructions, we investigated epithelial apoptosis in the lower cheek dentition at embryonic days 14.5-17.5...
- Evaluation of a calcium hydroxylapatite-based implant (Radiesse) for facial soft-tissue augmentation
David A Jansen
Section of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tulane University, New Orleans, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:22S-30S, discussion 31S-33S. 2006
..The authors sought to evaluate the long-term clinical efficacy and safety of a calcium hydroxylapatite-based filler (Radiesse) for facial soft-tissue augmentation...
- Improvements in cheek volume in lipoatrophic individuals switching away from thymidine nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors
Department of Genitourinary Medicine, Mortimer Market Centre, Camden PCT, off Capper Street, London WC1E 6JB, UK
HIV Med 10:351-5. 2009
..Facial changes cannot be assessed by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) scans. There are limited objective data on the reversibility of facial lipoatrophy...
- Parallel frequency-domain optical coherence tomography scatter-mode imaging of the hamster cheek pouch using a thermal light source
R N Graf
Department of Biomedical Engineering and the Fitzpatrick Institute for Photonics, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Opt Lett 33:1285-7. 2008
..frequency-domain optical coherence tomography (FDOCT) system to generate a scatter-mode image of the hamster cheek pouch epithelium...
- Reconstruction of cheek defects: a review of current techniques
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 18:244-54. 2010
The article discusses the fundamental principles of cheek reconstruction and summarizes recently published techniques and reviews in the field.
- Multiple dermoid cysts on the cheek
Br J Dermatol 152:1387-9. 2005
- Photodynamic therapy of early squamous cell carcinoma with tetra(m-hydroxyphenyl)chlorin: optimal drug-light interval
S Andrejevic Blant
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery CHUV Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Cancer 76:1021-8. 1997
..A Syrian hamster cheek pouch tumour model was used in these experiments...
- Improvement of neck and cheek laxity with a nonablative radiofrequency device: a lifting experience
Tina S Alster
Washington Institute of Dermatologic Laser Surgery, Georgetown University Medical Center, 2311 M Street NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20037, USA
Dermatol Surg 30:503-7; discussion 507. 2004
OBJECTIVE: Laxity of cheek and neck skin is a common cosmetic complaint of patients as they age. Improvement of skin laxity can be difficult to achieve without invasive surgical lifting procedures...
- Detecting precancerous lesions in the hamster cheek pouch using spectroscopic white-light optical coherence tomography to assess nuclear morphology via spectral oscillations
Robert N Graf
Duke University, Department of Biomedical Engineering, 136 Hudson Hall, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
J Biomed Opt 14:064030. 2009
..tomography (OCT) measurements and applied it to probe nuclear morphology in tissue samples drawn from the hamster cheek pouch carcinogenesis model...
- Arteriolar smooth muscle Ca2+ dynamics during blood flow control in hamster cheek pouch
Johan Fredrik Brekke
The John B. Pierce Laboratory and Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 290 Congress Ave, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
J Appl Physiol 101:307-15. 2006
..Aparenchymal segments of second-order arterioles (diameter 35 +/- 2 microm) were prepared in the superfused cheek pouch of anesthetized hamsters (n = 18) and perifused with the ratiometric dye fura PE-3 (AM) to load SMC (1 ..
- Bobbing along on the crest of a wave: NO ascends hamster cheek pouch arterioles
Circ Res 93:9-11. 2003
- Extra-abdominal fibromatosis of the cheek: report of a case
Division of Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Oral Medicine and Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1222-6. 2005
- Photodynamic therapy for premalignant lesions in DMBA-treated hamsters: a preliminary study
J S Kingsbury
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Dental Medicine 14214, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 55:376-81; discussion 381-2. 1997
..The aim of this investigation was to determine if this premalignant tissue could be selectively destroyed by systemically administered Photofrin activated by 630 nm red light via an argon dye laser...
- Carcinogenic effects of MGP-7 and B[a]P on the hamster cheek pouch
Jimi Lynn Brandon
The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Carcinogenesis, Smithville, TX 78957, USA
Toxicol Pathol 37:733-40. 2009
..the carcinogenic effects of benzo[a]pyrene (B[a]P) and manufactured gas plant (MGP) residues on the hamster cheek pouch (HCP)...
- Cheek and eyelid reconstruction: the resurrection of the angle rotation flap
Institute for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:1425-30; discussion 1431-3. 2005
BACKGROUND: Reconstruction of larger cheek and eyelid defects may pose a dilemma for surgeons, since flaps used in reconstruction may be difficult to design, be unreliable, require extensive dissection, and result in neck scarring...
- Prospective, open-label, 18-month trial of calcium hydroxylapatite (Radiesse) for facial soft-tissue augmentation in patients with human immunodeficiency virus-associated lipoatrophy: one-year durability
Stacey L Silvers
Chelsea Eye and Cosmetic Surgery Associates, New York, NY 10011, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:34S-45S. 2006
..It demonstrates an excellent safety profile, causes immediate augmentation of the soft tissues, and appears to provide relatively long-lasting improvement in appearance, with very high patient satisfaction...
- Cheek and inferior eyelid reconstruction after skin cancer ablation
William L Murillo
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Universidad del Valle, Cali, Colombia
Clin Plast Surg 31:49-67. 2004
..Attempts should be made to reduce scarring in the central face as seen in the frontal view. Respecting these principles will allow for reconstruction of the largest facial unit in a manner acceptable to the patient...
- [HPV-associated carcinoma of the buccal mucosa in a female patient with cicatricial mucosal pemphigoid]
, , Pauwelsstr. 30, 502074, Aachen
Hautarzt 58:388-90. 2007
- Reconstruction of concomitant lip and cheek through-and-through defects with combined free flap and an advancement flap from the remaining lip
Seng Feng Jeng
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Kaohsiung, Chang Gung University, Niao Sung Hsiang, Kaohsiung Hsien, Taiwan
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:491-8. 2004
..b>Cheek defects ranged from 15 x 12 cm to 4 x 3 cm, and intraoral defects ranged from 14 x 8 cm to 5 x 4 cm in size...
- Laser-assisted low-dose retinoic acid in oral cancer chemoprevention
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Laryngoscope 115:283-6. 2005
..STUDY DESIGN: Randomized, prospective study in a hamster model. METHODS: Dysplastic lesions were induced in the cheek pouches of 48 hamsters by painting with topical 9,10-dimethl-1,2-benzanthrancene (DMBA)...
- Buccal mucosal transposition flap for reconstruction of oropharyngeal-oral cavity defects: an analysis of six cases
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saint Rókus Hospital, Budapest, Hungary
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 99:550-3. 2005
..The goal should be to employ the simplest surgical reconstructive method, resulting in the best functional result and allowing for later complex oncotherapy...
- The J-plasty advancement flap for reconstruction of malar cheek defects
David J Kouba
Dermatol Surg 30:78-80; discussion 80. 2004
- The facial artery perforator flap for reconstruction of perioral defects
Stefan O P Hofer
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Hand Surgery, Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:996-1003; discussion 1004-5. 2005
..The concept of the facial artery perforator flap was developed to gain more freedom for reconstruction of perioral defects. Single perforators of the facial artery should supply a large area of facial skin for a pedicled perforator flap...
- Anchored rotation flap for infraorbital cheek reconstruction: a case series
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195-6524, USA
Dermatol Surg 33:516-20. 2007
- Use of polar decomposition for the diagnosis of oral precancer
Beckman Laser Institute, University of California, Irvine, California 92612, USA
Appl Opt 46:3038-45. 2007
..Our results indicate that polarimetry has potential as a method for the in vivo early detection and diagnosis of oral premalignancy...
- Selectivity of the photosensitiser Tookad for photodynamic therapy evaluated in the Syrian golden hamster cheek pouch tumour model
Institute of Environmental Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Cancer 89:2320-6. 2003
The response to photodynamic therapy (PDT) with the photosensitiser (PS) Tookad was measured in the Syrian hamster cheek pouch model on normal mucosae and chemically induced squamous cell carcinoma...
- Lesion of the buccal mucosa. Carcinoma
John E Fantasia
Division of Oral Pathology, Department of Dental Medicine, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York, USA
Gen Dent 51:288, 290. 2003
- Aesthetic outcome of sliding island flap for reconstruction of cheek after tumour ablation
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, PGMI Hayatabad Medical Complex Peshawar
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 17:15-8. 2005
..The objective of this study was to report the aesthetic results of sliding island flap on the cheek. METHODS: This study was carried in the department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Postgraduate Medical ..
- [Detection of induced neoplastic lesions in the oral mucosa of hamsters using fluorescence spectroscopy]
Instituto de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento, Universidade do Vale do Paraiba, Sao Jose dos Campos, SP
Rev Assoc Med Bras 50:297-301. 2004
..This work analyzes use of the Laser Induced Fluorescence Spectroscopy technique for characterization of normal and neoplastic tissue in the oral mucosa of hamsters, with potential to diagnose neoplastic tissue in vivo...
- [The myo-mucosal buccinator island flap: indications and limits for the reconstruction of deficits of the buccal cavity of the oropharynx]
Service d Oto Rhino Laryngologie et de Chirurgie Cervico faciale, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, Lyon, France
J Otolaryngol 35:404-7. 2006
- Locally advanced cheek carcinoma; radical surgery and reconstruction of though and through defects
Adel T Denewer
The Department of Surgical Oncology, Oncology Center, Mansoura University
J Egypt Natl Canc Inst 18:141-6. 2006
Squamous cell carcinoma of the cheek is a locoregionally aggressive tumor. Radical resection may be curative in cases of large tumor without distant metastases. We reviewed forty eight consecutive cases of Sq.c.c...
- Innervated buccal musculomucosal flap for wider vermilion and orbicularis oris muscle reconstruction
Plastic Surgery Department, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Chinese Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:846-52. 2005
- Neck-to-cheek transposition flap for a large cheek defect
Karen Rebecca Suchin
Skin and Laser Surgery Center of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102, USA
Dermatol Surg 30:1275-7. 2004
- Topical application of photofrin for photodynamic diagnosis of oral neoplasms
Cheng Jen Chang
Department of Plastic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:1877-86. 2005
..Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) with protoporphyrin IX fluorescence as a new diagnostic procedure: photodynamic diagnosis for the detection of hyperplastic and malignant changes in oral tissue...
- Clavipectoral osteomyocutaneous free flap in oromandibular reconstruction
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Otolaryngol 36:186-90. 2007
..We recently described the clavipectoral osteocutaneous flap for mandibular reconstruction. This flap encompasses the clavicle and the clavicular head of the pectoralis major with overlying skin...
- Antitumor effects of hydroxycamptothecin-loaded poly[ethylene glycol]-poly [gamma-benzyl-L-glutamate] micelles against oral squamous cell carcinoma
Xue Qiang Ding
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province, 510080, P R China
Oncol Res 16:313-23. 2007
..The golden hamster cheek pouch squamous cell carcinoma model was employed for in vivo studies; encapsulated lactone and open ring-..
- Current concepts in cheek reconstruction
Steven D Pletcher
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, University of California-San Francisco, 2330 Post Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 13:267-81, vi. 2005
For cutaneous cheek defects, the reconstructive surgeon should strive to optimize tissue match and scar camouflage while minimizing the distortion to neighboring facial landmarks...
- Reconstruction of a large surgical defect on the lower eyelid and infraorbital cheek
Alysa R Herman
Department of Dermatology, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA
Dermatol Surg 31:689-91. 2005
An 83-year-old white woman was referred for Mohs micrographic surgery of a lentigo maligna on the left malar cheek. The tumor was completely removed in four stages, leaving an irregularly shaped defect that measured 3.8 x 4...
- Bipaddled radial forearm flap for the reconstruction of bilateral buccal defects in oral submucous fibrosis
J T Lee
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:615-9. 2007
..9 mm. A bipaddled radial forearm flap, using a single donor site, can cover two separate buccal defects after release of oral submucosal fibrosis and obviate the need for a second free flap...
- One-stage reconstruction of a large defect of the lower lip and oral commissure
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, 5 Zaifu cho, Hirosaki 036 8216, Japan
Br J Plast Surg 58:614-8. 2005
..For the cutaneous defects, in one a local flap was elevated from the adjacent cheek and in the other a turned over area of the forearm flap was used...
- Functional lower lip reconstruction with bilateral cheek advancement flaps: revisitation of Webster method with a minor modification in the technique
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Leopold Franzens University of Innsbrug, Innsbruck, Austria
Aesthetic Plast Surg 26:423-8. 2002
Major defects of the lower lip have been repaired in many ways. Of these, some employed flaps from the chin, cheek or upper lip. Some of these procedures employed flaps without regard for the facial grooves or landmarks...
- The mRNA expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in DMBA-induced hamster buccal-pouch carcinomas using reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction
Oral Pathology Department, School of Dentistry, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
J Oral Pathol Med 31:82-6. 2002
..CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrated that increased iNOS mRNA expression could contribute to the mechanism for experimentally induced oral carcinogenesis...
- Functional and aesthetic reconstruction of full-thickness cheek, oral commissure and vermilion
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 29:344-50. 2001
PURPOSE: This paper presents surgical techniques for reconstruction of the cheek, oral commissure and vermillion in the repair of full-thickness cheek defects after resection of buccal-mucosal squamous cell carcinoma...
- Cancer of the buccal mucosa: are margins and T-stage accurate predictors of local control?
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 22:395-9. 2001
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the buccal mucosa: an aggressive cancer requiring multimodality treatment
Department of Radiation Oncology, Tri-Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, 325 Section 2 Cheng-Kong Rd, Nei-Hu, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Head Neck 28:150-7. 2006
- Microsurgical reconstruction of the buccal mucosa
B S Lutz
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, and Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Clin Plast Surg 28:339-47, ix. 2001
..This article addresses the reconstruction of the buccal mucosa, which is necessary after tumor resection and contracture release...
- Homogeneous boron targeting of heterogeneous tumors for boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT): chemical analyses in the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model
Elisa M Heber
Department of Radiobiology, National Atomic Energy Commission, Av. General Paz 1499, B1650KNA San Martin, Prov. Buenos Aires, Argentina
Arch Oral Biol 51:922-9. 2006
..in different portions of tumour, precancerous tissue around tumour and normal pouch tissue in the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model...
- Gene expression of differentiation-specific keratins in oral epithelial dysplasia and squamous cell carcinoma
B K Bloor
Department of Oral Medicine and Pathology, Guy's, King's and St. Thomas' Dental Institute, Guy's Hospital, SE1 9RT, London, UK
Oral Oncol 37:251-61. 2001
- Cancer induction in the DMBA hamster cheek pouch: a modified technique using a promoter
M K Wani
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Tennessee School of Medicine, Memphis 38163, USA
Laryngoscope 111:204-6. 2001
..DMBA) sustained-release suture technique followed by arecaidine promotion in the hamster cheek pouch model. STUDY DESIGN: Prospective, controlled animal study...
- Lower lip and vermilion reconstruction with buccal musculomucosal flap combined with V-Y plasty after malignant tumor excision
Department of Dermatology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Hokkaido 060-8543, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:133e-139e. 2006
- Fibroblast growth factor-2 expression during experimental oral carcinogenesis. Its possible role in the induction of pre-malignant fibrosis
A R Raimondi
Oral Pathology Department, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Oral Pathol Med 35:212-7. 2006
..We herein evaluated the role of FGF-2 in the pre-cancerous and cancerous lesions in the hamster cheek pouch oral cancer model...
- Squamous cell carcinomas arising from different types of oral epithelia differ in their tumor and patient characteristics and survival
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Lemminkaisenkatu 2, FIN 20520 Turku, Finland
Oral Oncol 43:911-9. 2007
..It would seem to be meaningful to investigate the molecular characteristics of the different types of oral epithelium in order to elucidate possible differences in their susceptibility to malignant transformation...
- Mandible augmentation for osseointegrated implants using tissue engineering strategies
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kwei-Shan, Tao-Yuan 333, Taiwan
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:1e-4e. 2006
- Release and free flap reconstruction for trismus that develops after previous intraoral reconstruction
Department of Plastic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, and the Medical College, Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan
Plast Reconstr Surg 118:102-7. 2006
- Establishment and characterization of a tumorigenic cell line from areca quid and tobacco smoke-associated buccal carcinoma
Sang Heng Kok
School of Dentistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Oral Oncol 43:639-47. 2007
..It is thought that the establishment of tumorigenic TW2.6 cell line provides a valuable model for AQ and tobacco smoke-associated buccal carcinoma...
- Double-skin paddle perforator flap from the lateral lower leg for reconstruction of through-and-through cheek defect - a report of two cases
D J Loeffelbein
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Plastic Surgery, Ruhr University Bochum, Knappschaftskrankenhaus Bochum Langendreer, In der Schornau 23 25, D 44892 Bochum, Germany
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:1016-20. 2006
Extensive defects after ablative surgery of oral cancer, involving exterior skin of the cheek, demand for complex reconstruction...
- [Anterolateral thigh perforator flaps for facial reconstruction after tumour surgery]
Abteilung für Mund, Kiefer und Gesichtschirurgie, Landeskrankenhaus Klagenfurt, St Veiterstrasse 47, A 9020, Klagenfurt, Osterreich
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 10:315-23. 2006
..In the following study our experiences with microvascular anterolateral thigh perforator flaps (ALTPF) in reconstruction of the face following ablative tumour surgery are described and discussed in comparison to the present literature...
- S-allylcysteine, a garlic constituent, inhibits 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis
Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar-608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Nutr Cancer 40:165-72. 2001
..We suggest that SAC exerts its chemopreventive effects by modulating lipid peroxidation and enhancing antioxidant activities in the target organ as well as in the liver and circulation...
- Novel use of ultrasound-guided surface marking of head and neck tumors invading facial skin
Suk Y Ng
Oral Radiology, Guy s, King s and St Thomas Dental Institute, London
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:499-504. 2006
..The patients remained tumor-free for more than 3 years. Ultrasound imaging therefore shows good potential for planning surgical resection with a safe margin and for aiding decisions on donor site and type of flap for reconstruction...
- 'Turbaned' forehead flap
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 61:594-5. 2008
- Differential expression of cornified cell envelope precursors in normal skin, intraorally transplanted skin and normal oral mucosa
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Tohoku University Schools of Dentistry and Medicine 4 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Br J Dermatol 148:898-905. 2003
..Skin flaps have routinely been used as substitutes for oral mucosa after extensive resection of oral tissues. However, it remains unknown how the transplanted skin flaps perform as a host defence in the new environment of the oral cavity...
- Repair of a large surgical defect involving the lower lid, cheek, and temporal region
Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment, University of Torino Medical School, U.O. Dermatological Surgery, Candiolo, Italy
Dermatol Surg 29:182-4. 2003
- Biodistribution of a carborane-containing porphyrin as a targeting agent for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy of oral cancer in the hamster cheek pouch
Erica L Kreimann
Department of Radiobiology, National Atomic Energy Commission, Avenida del Libertador 8250, Buenos Aires 1429, Argentina
Arch Oral Biol 48:223-32. 2003
..In previous studies, we proposed and validated the hamster cheek pouch model of oral cancer for BNCT studies, proved that absolute and relative uptake of the clinically employed ..
- The temporal fasciocutaneous island flap for oncologic oral and facial reconstruction
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hospital Purpan, Toulouse, France
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1150-5. 2003
..The anatomic basis and surgical technique are described. The flap was used for mucosal reconstruction after cheek or maxillary resection...
- Oral epithelial dysplasia: clinical characteristics of western European residents
M A Jaber
Department of Oral Medicine, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, UCL, University of London, 256 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Oral Oncol 39:589-96. 2003
..Oral epithelial dysplasia is likely to manifest as a solitary white patch, but it is not possible to accurately predict the likely degree of dysplasia from the clinical features of such lesions...
- Functional reconstruction of complex lip and cheek defect with free composite anterolateral thigh flap and vascularized fascia
Yur Ren Kuo
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Head Neck 30:1001-6. 2008
Extensive composite defects involving the lip and cheek present difficult reconstructive challenges...
- Autofluorescence spectroscopy for in vivo diagnosis of DMBA-induced hamster buccal pouch pre-cancers and cancers
Department of Biomedical Engineering, I-Shou University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Oral Pathol Med 32:18-24. 2003
..CONCLUSION: Our results indicate that the autofluorescence spectroscopy technique is a useful diagnostic tool for in vivo diagnosis of oral pre-cancers and cancers in DMBA-induced hamster buccal pouch carcinogenesis model...
- Chemoprevention of oral cancer by black raspberries
Bruce C Casto
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Anticancer Res 22:4005-15. 2002
..In the study reported herein, the hamster cheek pouch (HCP) was used to evaluate the ability of black raspberries to inhibit oral cavity tumors...
- Reconstruction of perioral defects following resection for oral squamous cell carcinoma
James J Closmann
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143-0440, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:367-74. 2006
..Subsequent fabrication of a prosthesis can aid in lip support for the resected area...
- [Reconstruction of oral mucosa with a micro-vascularized fascia-cutaneous flap from the forearm]
Miguel Burgueño García
Servicio de Cirugia Maxilofacial, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid
An Otorrinolaringol Ibero Am 29:289-300. 2002
..The conclusion reached is that the mucovascularized forearm flaps give a great quantity of thin tissue and therefore so results to be the best option for the reconstruction of the jugal mucosa...