Genomes and Genes
Summary: An oval area in the retina, 3 to 5 mm in diameter, usually located temporal to the posterior pole of the eye and slightly below the level of the optic disk. It is characterized by the presence of a yellow pigment diffusely permeating the inner layers, contains the fovea centralis in its center, and provides the best phototropic visual acuity. It is devoid of retinal blood vessels, except in its periphery, and receives nourishment from the choriocapillaris of the choroid. (From Cline et al., Dictionary of Visual Science, 4th ed)
Publications223 found, 100 shown here
- Optical coherence tomography evaluation of detached macula from rhegmatogenous retinal detachment and central serous chorioretinopathySun Young Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, 388 1 Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Korea
Am J Ophthalmol 145:1071-1076. 2008..To compare structural changes using optical coherence tomography (OCT) and visual acuity (VA) loss in patients with shallow macula-off rhegmatogenous retinal detachment (RD) and central serous chorioretinopathy (CSC) involving the macula...
- Macular volume determined by optical coherence tomography as a measure of neuronal loss in multiple sclerosisBryn M Burkholder
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Arch Neurol 66:1366-72. 2009..Inner (area adjacent to the fovea) and outer regions of the macula differ with respect to relative thicknesses of the ganglion cell layer (neurons) vs retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL; axons)...
- Reproducibility of nerve fiber thickness, macular thickness, and optic nerve head measurements using StratusOCTLelia A Paunescu
New England Eye Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:1716-24. 2004..The best reproducibility was found for dilated standard scanning for NFL and ONH parameters and for dilated high-density scanning for macular parameters...
- Dome-shaped macula in eyes with myopic posterior staphylomaDavid Gaucher
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Lariboisiere, Service d Ophtalmologie, Universite Paris 7, Paris, France
Am J Ophthalmol 145:909-14. 2008..To describe an unusual feature in myopic eyes responsible for visual loss, which we call a dome-shaped macula...
- Comparison of three different optical coherence tomography models for total macular thickness measurements in healthy controlsMarcel N Menke
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Zurich, Frauenklinikstrasse 24 CH 8091 Zürich, Switzerland
Ophthalmologica 223:352-6. 2009..The purpose of this study was to compare 3 commercially available OCT models for retinal thickness measurements in healthy controls...
- Macular hole formation: new data provided by optical coherence tomographyA Gaudric
Department of Ophthalmology, Hopital Lariboisiere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris 7, France
Arch Ophthalmol 117:744-51. 1999..To establish the sequence of events leading from vitreofoveal traction to full-thickness macular hole formation...
- An investigation of the retinal nerve fibre layer in progressive multiple sclerosis using optical coherence tomographyAndrew P D Henderson
NMR Research Unit, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, WC1N 3BG, UK
Brain 131:277-87. 2008..This may indicate a difference in the extent of the pathological processes that cause axonal loss in the retina, and by inference the optic nerve, in secondary progressive MS and primary progressive MS...
- A method of drusen measurement based on the geometry of fundus reflectanceR Theodore Smith
Department of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Biomed Eng Online 2:10. 2003..Current manual methods of drusen measurement are laborious and subjective. Our purpose was to expedite clinical research with an accurate, reliable digital method...
- Serous macular detachment associated with retinal arterial macroaneurysmKyoichi Takahashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 50:460-4. 2006..To report optical coherence tomography (OCT) findings of macular edema secondary to retinal arterial macroaneurysms...
- Natural course of macular retinoschisis in highly myopic eyes without macular hole or retinal detachmentNoriaki Shimada
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 142:497-500. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that macular retinoschisis might be a progressive condition, and that complications appeared to be related to the presence of vitreoretinal tractions...
- Distribution of macular thickness by optical coherence tomography: findings from a population-based study of 6-year-old childrenSon C Huynh
Department of Ophthalmology, the University of Sydney and the Centre for Vision Research, Westmead Millennium Institute, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:2351-7. 2006..Significant gender and ethnic differences were demonstrated. Axial length and refraction were important ocular biometric determinants of macular thickness...
- Optical coherence tomographic evaluation of macular infarction following dapsone overdoseNazimul Hussain
Smt Kanuri Santhamma Retina Vitreous Centre, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 54:271-2. 2006..Hence, OCT could show the progression of foveal atrophy from cystic macular edema following dapsone poisoning...
- Normative data for macular thickness by high-definition spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (spectralis)Sandeep Grover
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Jacksonville, FL32209, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 148:266-71. 2009..To establish normative data for the macular thickness by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) in subjects with no known retinal disease...
- Defining the human macula transcriptome and candidate retinal disease genes using EyeSAGECatherine Bowes Rickman
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:2305-16. 2006....
- Classifying and grading retinal signs in severe malariaS P Harding
St Paul's Eye Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Trop Doct 36:1-13. 2006
- Temporal variation in diabetic macular edema measured by optical coherence tomographyRobert N Frank
Kresge Eye Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Ophthalmology 111:211-7. 2004..To determine, by optical coherence tomography (OCT), whether there is a quantitative decrease in macular edema in diabetic subjects over the course of a day...
- Normal macular thickness measurements in healthy eyes using Stratus optical coherence tomographyAnnie Chan
New England Eye Center, Tufts-New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02111-1533, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 124:193-8. 2006..This discrepancy should be considered when interpreting OCT scans...
- Diurnal variation in clinically significant diabetic macular edema measured by the Stratus OCTAntonio Polito
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Udine, Italy
Retina 26:14-20. 2006..However, in our study, the entity of this decline was relatively small and not relevant from a clinical standpoint...
- Heritability of macular thickness determined by optical coherence tomographyMatthew D Chamberlain
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:336-40. 2006..To examine whether genetic factors significantly influence macular thickness in healthy older subjects...
- Central retinal thickness is positively correlated with macular pigment optical densityS H Melissa Liew
Twin Research and Genetic Epidemiology Unit, St Thomas' Hospital, London, UK
Exp Eye Res 82:915-20. 2006..This finding has important implications for future studies investigating MPOD, and its response to dietary modification/supplementation...
- Anatomy and development of the macula: specialisation and the vulnerability to macular degenerationJan M Provis
Research School of Biological Sciences, The Australian National University, GPO Box 475, Canberra, ACT, 2601, Australia
Clin Exp Optom 88:269-81. 2005..Both the inflammatory response and the sequelae of oxidative stress are predictable outcomes in this scenario...
- Comparison of epiretinal membranes of differing pathogenesis using optical coherence tomographyKeisuke Mori
Department of Ophthalmology, Saitama Medical School, 38 Morohongo, Moroyama, Iruma, Saitama 350 0495, Japan
Retina 24:57-62. 2004..To compare optical coherence tomography (OCT) images of idiopathic epiretinal membranes (ERMs) with those of secondary ERMs...
- Regional variations in the relationship between macular thickness measurements and myopiaDennis Shun Chiu Lam
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Peoples Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:376-82. 2007..To investigate the relationship between myopia and macular thickness, as measured by optical coherence tomography...
- Ethnic differences in macular pigment density and distributionUte E K Wolf Schnurrbusch
Klinik und Poliklinik für Augenheilkunde, Inselspital, University Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3783-7. 2007..In this study, the authors investigate ethnic differences in macular pigment density (MPD) and macular pigment (MP) distribution...
- Microperimetric assessment of patients with type 2 idiopathic macular telangiectasiaPeter Charbel Issa
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3788-95. 2007..To assess changes of the light increment sensitivity (LIS) of the macular area in patients with type 2 idiopathic macular telangiectasia (IMT)...
- Macular thickness measurements in normal eyes with time-domain and Fourier-domain optical coherence tomographyJingjing Huang
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Retina 29:980-7. 2009..To compare macular thickness measurements using time-domain optical coherence tomography (OCT) and Fourier-domain OCT...
- Quality issues in interpretation of optical coherence tomograms in macular diseasesAmitha Domalpally
Fundus Photograph Reading Center, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
Retina 29:775-81. 2009..To analyze the scan characteristics associated with poor-quality Stratus optical coherence tomograms submitted to a reading center for multicenter clinical trials...
- Quantification of reduced macular pigment optical density in the central retina in macular telangiectasia type 2Peter Charbel Issa
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Exp Eye Res 89:25-31. 2009..This disease might serve as a model to further study abnormalities of MP distribution in retinal disorders and to elucidate the mechanisms of MP deposition in the retina...
- Differential expression of anti-angiogenic factors and guidance genes in the developing maculaPeter Kozulin
ARC Centre of Excellence in Vision Science and School of Biology, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Mol Vis 15:45-59. 2009..The aim of this study was to identify novel genes that may influence retinal vascular patterning and definition of the foveal avascular area...
- Causes of macular serous retinal detachments in Japanese patients 40 years and olderTaiichi Hikichi
Ohtsuka Eye Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Retina 29:395-404. 2009..To investigate the causes of macular serous retinal detachment without hemorrhage at the macula in patients 40 years and older...
- Toll-like receptor 3 and geographic atrophy in age-related macular degenerationZhenglin Yang
Sichuan Academy of Medical Sciences and Sichuan Provincial People s Hospital, Chengdu, China
N Engl J Med 359:1456-63. 2008..Advanced age-related macular degeneration consists of geographic atrophy and choroidal neovascularization. The specific genetic variants that predispose patients to geographic atrophy are largely unknown...
- Analysis of macular thickness in British population using optical coherence tomography (OCT): an emphasis on interocular symmetryMohamed El-Ashry
Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Curr Eye Res 33:693-9. 2008..To evaluate macular thickness measurements in normal subjects from British origin, to assess interocular asymmetry using optical coherence tomography (OCT) and to establish standard values for macular and foveal thickness...
- Macular complications on the border of an inferior staphyloma associated with tilted disc syndromeHideo Nakanishi
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Retina 28:1493-501. 2008..To describe the clinical characteristics of macular complications on the border of an inferior staphyloma associated with tilted disk syndrome...
- Macular thickness assessment in healthy eyes based on ethnicity using Stratus OCT optical coherence tomographyPatrick J Kelty
Department of Ophthalmology, Storm Eye Institute, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:2668-72. 2008..To assess the variation in macular thickness measurements in healthy Caucasian and African American men and women through Stratus OCT optical coherence tomography (OCT-3)...
- Pattern of macular thickness changes measured by ocular coherence tomography in patients with multiple sclerosisK Gugleta
Outpatient Neurology Clinic, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 225:408-12. 2008..An analysis of the pattern of retinal thickness changes in macula in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) was performed...
- Confocal blue reflectance imaging in type 2 idiopathic macular telangiectasiaPeter Charbel Issa
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:1172-7. 2008..To report the characteristics of confocal blue reflectance imaging in type 2 idiopathic macular telangiectasia (type 2 IMT)...
- Analysis of retinal nerve fiber layer and macular thickness measurements in healthy Taiwanese individuals using optical coherence tomography (Stratus OCT)Sheng Yao Hsu
Department of Ophthalmology, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital and Institute of Medicine Science and Medicine, College of Medicine, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
J Glaucoma 17:30-5. 2008..To investigate the reproducibility of peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) and macular thickness measurements in healthy Taiwanese subjects using optical coherence tomography (Stratus OCT)...
- Macular infarction after intravitreal ganciclovir injection in a patient with acute retinal necrosisSeong-Woo Kim
Can J Ophthalmol 43:124-5. 2008
- Racial differences in macular thickness in healthy eyesBaharak Asefzadeh
VA Boston Healthcare System, Eye Clinic, Jamaica, Plain, Massachusetts 02130, USA
Optom Vis Sci 84:941-5. 2007..In this study, we compared macular thickness in healthy eyes of black and white subjects using optical coherence tomography (Stratus OCT)...
- Comparison of human retinal pigment epithelium gene expression in macula and periphery highlights potential topographic differences in Bruch's membraneSimone S van Soest
Department of Clinical and Molecular Ophthalmogenetics, The Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, an institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences KNAW, Meibergdreef, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Vis 13:1608-17. 2007..To describe gene expression differences between healthy, young human retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) cells from the macular area and RPE cells from two locations in the retinal periphery...
- Patients with Sjögren-Larsson syndrome lack macular pigmentRob L P VAN DER Veen
University Eye Clinic, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ophthalmology 117:966-71. 2010..Ophthalmic symptoms in SLS are reduced visual acuity and photophobia. This article reports the deficiency of macular pigment as a novel finding in this peculiar, congenital maculopathy...
- Paramacular colobomaDebi Pian
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Santa Barbara Community-Based Outpatient Clinic, Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Optom Vis Sci 80:556-63. 2003..Differential diagnosis is important because the clinical appearance can be similar to acquired conditions, most notably age-related macular degeneration and presumed ocular histoplasmosis syndrome...
- Repeatability and reproducibility of macular thickness measurements with the Humphrey OCT systemSarah Muscat
Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:490-5. 2002..This demonstrates that OCT is a useful tool in the monitoring of patients with conditions that affect macular thickness, even when there is considerable degradation of the OCT signal...
- Optical coherence tomography measurement of macular and nerve fiber layer thickness in normal and glaucomatous human eyesViviane Guedes
New England Eye Center, Tufts School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Ophthalmology 110:177-89. 2003..There was good correspondence between findings using both the prototype and commercial OCT units. Macular and NFL thickness measurements made with OCT may have usefulness in the clinical assessment of glaucoma...
- Prediction of macular edema exacerbation after phacoemulsification in patients with nonproliferative diabetic retinopathyHideharu Funatsu
Department of Ophthalmology, Diabetes Center, Tokyo Women's Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
J Cataract Refract Surg 28:1355. 2002..53). CONCLUSIONS: A high VEGF level in the aqueous humor predicted a significant risk for the postoperative exacerbation of macular edema. A model was developed to predict the risk exacerbation...
- Serous retinal detachment and cystoid macular edema in hypotony maculopathyG T Kokame
Division of Ophthalmology, Department of Surgery, University of Hawaii School of Medicine, Honolulu, Hawaii 96701, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 131:384-6. 2001..To report the foveal structural findings of hypotony maculopathy imaged with optical coherence tomography...
- Development of macular pseudoholes: a 36-month period of follow-upMonica Varano
Fondazione per l Oftalmologia G B Bietti, Rome, Italy
Retina 22:435-42. 2002..To assess the changes in visual acuity and macular sensitivity and the possible evolution into a full-thickness macular hole in patients with macular pseudoholes during a 3-year follow-up period...
- Macular thickness measured by optical coherence tomography (OCT) in diabetic patientsR Lattanzio
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University Hospital S. Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 12:482-7. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: MT was greater in diabetics than controls and tended to increase with DR and ME severity. OCT is a sensitive technique for detecting early diabetic macular abnormalities and quantifying their reduction after laser treatment...
- Immunological and aetiological aspects of macular degenerationP L Penfold
Department Clinical Ophthalmology, Save Sight Institute, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Prog Retin Eye Res 20:385-414. 2001....
- Macular thickness measurements in healthy subjects with different axial lengths using optical coherence tomographyYoshikatsu Wakitani
Department of Ophthalmology, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu Mie, Japan
Retina 23:177-82. 2003..35, P = 0.38, and P = 0.14). CONCLUSION: When eyes with pathologic myopia were excluded, the axial length of the eye was found not to influence the average retinal thickness in the macular area...
- Maculas affected by age-related macular degeneration contain increased chelatable iron in the retinal pigment epithelium and Bruch's membranePaul Hahn
F M Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:1099-105. 2003..To investigate whether iron is involved in the pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Macular infarction after intravitreal amikacin: mounting evidence against amikacinG Galloway
Br J Ophthalmol 86:359-60. 2002
- Role of OCT in the diagnosis and follow up of diabetic macular edemaGiacomo Panozzo
TECLO SRL, Vitreoretinal Service, Verona, Italy
Semin Ophthalmol 18:74-81. 2003..We think that this tool should always be used in monitoring the effect of therapies in future studies...
- Topography of diabetic macular edema with optical coherence tomographyM R Hee
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA
Ophthalmology 105:360-70. 1998..The topographic mapping protocol provided geographic information on macular thickness that was intuitive and objective...
- A method of drusen measurement based on reconstruction of fundus background reflectanceR T Smith
Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University College of Pysicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 89:87-91. 2005..Current manual methods of drusen segmentation and quantification are laborious and subjective. The authors introduced a digital method and tested it for accuracy and reliability...
- Anatomical outcomes of surgery for idiopathic macular hole as determined by optical coherence tomographyMichael S Ip
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Wisconsin, Clinical Science Center, F4 336, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 120:29-35. 2002....
- Diagnosis of macular pseudoholes and lamellar macular holes by optical coherence tomographyBelkacem Haouchine
Department of Ophthalmology, , , Universit, Paris, France
Am J Ophthalmol 138:732-9. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: Optical coherence tomography is very useful in distinguishing MPH attributable to epiretinal membrane contraction from LMH because of partial opening of a macular cyst...
- Intravitreal triamcinolone for the treatment of refractory diabetic macular oedema with hard exudates: an optical coherence tomography studyA P Ciardella
Director of Ophthalmology, Denver Health Medical Center, 777 Bannock Street, Mail Code 0156, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 88:1131-6. 2004..To investigate the use of intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide (IVTA) for the treatment of diabetic macular oedema (DMO) unresponsive to previous laser photocoagulation...
- Intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide for diabetic diffuse macular edema: preliminary results of a prospective controlled trialPascale Massin
Department of Ophthalmology, , , , Paris, France
Ophthalmology 111:218-24; discussion 224-5. 2004..CONCLUSION: Intravitreal injection of triamcinolone effectively reduces macular thickening due to diffuse diabetic macular edema, at least in the short term. Further studies are required to demonstrate that it provides visual benefit...
- Comparison of the clinical diagnosis of diabetic macular edema with diagnosis by optical coherence tomographyDavid J Browning
Charlotte Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Associates, 6035 Fairview Road, Charlotte, NC 28210, USA
Ophthalmology 111:712-5. 2004..To compare the diagnosis of diabetic macular edema (DME) by stereoscopic slit-lamp biomicroscopic examination of the fundus with a 78-diopter noncontact lens with diagnosis by optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- Profile of the genes expressed in the human peripheral retina, macula, and retinal pigment epithelium determined through serial analysis of gene expression (SAGE)Dror Sharon
Ocular Molecular Genetics Institute, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, and Department of Genetics and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:315-20. 2002..We expect that these libraries will serve as a resource for understanding the relative expression levels of genes in the retina and the RPE and for identifying additional disease genes...
- Accidental Nd:YAG laser-induced choroidal neovascularizationHoward S Ying
The Wilmer Eye Institute at The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 600 North Wolfe Street, Maumenee 721, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 9277, USA
Lasers Surg Med 40:240-2. 2008..There are few reports in the literature to describe the natural history of an occupational Nd:YAG laser-induced retinal injury...
- Macular exudative retinal detachment in a patient with a dural cavernous sinus fistulaSunir J Garg
The Retina Service Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 124:1201-2. 2006
- Topographic angiography and optical coherence tomography: a correlation of imaging characteristicsC Ahlers
University Eye Hospital Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Ophthalmol 15:774-81. 2005..Both modalities may provide further valuable insight into ARMD pathogenesis, enhance diagnostic quality, and improve the assessment of therapeutic effects...
- [Complex diagnosis of the early macular changes due to AMD]Sława Kwiecien
Katedry i Kliniki Okulistyki II Wydziału Lekaskiego Akademii Medycznej w Warszawie
Klin Oczna 109:209-13. 2007....
- Identification of lesion components that influence visual function in age related macular degenerationR Hogg
Queen's University Belfast, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 87:609-14. 2003..Both colour photography and angiography yielded information, which together explained considerably more of the variation in the clinical measures of vision than either on its own...
- Re: bilateral macular lesions in a 10-year-old girlHoi Fan
Am J Ophthalmol 144:334; author reply 334-5. 2007
- Optical coherence tomography fast versus regular macular thickness mapping in diabetic retinopathyLala Ceklic
Department of Ophthalmology, Clinical Center of Eastern Sarajevo, RS Bosnia and Herzegovina University of Sarajevo, Sarajevo, RS Bosnia
Ophthalmic Res 40:235-40. 2008....
- Optical coherence tomography findings in stage 4A retinopathy of prematurity: a theory for visual variabilityMandar M Joshi
Associated Retinal Consultants, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Ophthalmology 113:657-60. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: Anatomic macular abnormalities--not immediately apparent ophthalmoscopically--may explain the variability in visual outcome after lens-sparing vitrectomy for stage 4A ROP...
- Prophylactic treatment of age-related macular degeneration report number 1: 810-nanometer laser to eyes with drusen. Unilaterally eligible patientsThomas R Friberg
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Ophthalmology 113:622.e1. 2006..We advise against using prophylactic subthreshold diode laser treatment in these eyes...
- Massive macular hard exudates associated with branch retinal vein occlusionKyoichi Takahashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 49:527-9. 2005..To report four cases of branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO) with the complication of serous retinal detachment (SRD)...
- Early optical coherence tomography changes after photodynamic therapy in patients with age-related macular degenerationHakan Ozdemir
Istanbul Retina Institute Inc, Hakki Yeten Caddesi No. 8, K.7, 34349 Sisli-Istanbul, Turkey
Am J Ophthalmol 141:574-6. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: Serial OCT evaluation of patients with subfoveal CNV attributable to AMD suggests that the initial response after PDT is an increase in SF and IF...
- Case of POEMS syndrome associated with bilateral macular detachment resolved by autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantationKyoko Okada
Jpn J Ophthalmol 51:237-8. 2007
- Limited macular translocation for subfoveal choroidal neovascularization in age-related macular degenerationAndrew A Chang
Sydney Retina, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 31:103-9. 2003..To examine the safety and efficacy of limited macular translocation followed by laser photocoagulation in the management of subfoveal choroidal neovascularization (CNV) in age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Unusual ocular complications of the HELLP syndrome: persistent macular elevation and localized tractional retinal detachmentMuhittin Taskapili
Eye Clinic, Vakif Gureba Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Ophthalmol (Skokie) 39:261-3. 2007..Macular elevation did not resolve; therefore, in the right eye intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide injection was performed...
- Optical coherence tomography in optic pit maculopathySerra Arf Karacorlu
Istanbul Retina Institute Inc, UNIMED Center, Hakki Yeten Cad, No 8 7, Sisli, Istanbul 34349, Turkey
Int Ophthalmol 27:293-7. 2007..To report the optical coherence tomography (OCT) findings in patients with optic pit maculopathy...
- Correlation of macular function with retinal thickness in nonproliferative type 2 idiopathic macular telangiectasiaPeter Charbel Issa
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Am J Ophthalmol 145:169-175. 2008..To correlate macular thickness determined by optical coherence tomography (OCT) with light increment sensitivity and visual acuity in patients with type 2 idiopathic macular telangiectasia (IMT)...
- The status of diabetic retinopathy and diabetic macular edema in patients with type 2 diabetes: a survey from Beixinjing District of Shanghai city in ChinaNing Wang
Department of Ophthalmology, Shanghai Jiaotong University Affiliated First People s Hospital, Shanghai, China
Ophthalmologica 222:32-6. 2008..The images of OCT in DME included 3 types. Best-corrected visual acuity moderately correlated with retinal thickness. The macular thickness correlated with the severity of DR but not with posterior vitreous detachment...
- Intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) for the treatment of choroidal neovascularization in age-related macular degeneration: results from 118 casesK C Madhusudhana
Southampton Eye Unit, Tremona Road, Southampton S016 6YD, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 91:1716-7. 2007
- Peripapillary serous retinal detachment preceding complete posterior vitreous detachmentCengiz Aras
Department of Ophthalmology, Cerrahpasa Medical School of Istanbul University, 4 Kisim T O 94 Blok D1 Ataköy, Istanbul 34753 01, Turkey
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:927-9. 2008..To report on a case of peripapillary serous detachment due to vitreopapillary traction during the development of posterior vitreous detachment...
- A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of intravitreal triamcinolone for refractory diabetic macular edemaMohammad H Dehghan
Ophthalmic Research Centre of Shaheed Beheshti Medical University, Labbafinejad Medical Centre, Pasdaran Ave Boostan 9 St, Tehran, 16666, Iran
Int Ophthalmol 28:7-17. 2008..To evaluate the effect of intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide (IVT) on refractory diabetic macular edema (DME)...
- Longitudinal cohort study of patients with birdshot chorioretinopathy. III. Macular imaging at baselineDominique Monnet
Le Service d Ophtalmologie, Hôpital Cochin and Université Paris Descartes, Faculte de Medecine, Paris, France
Am J Ophthalmol 144:818-828. 2007....
- Macular translocation with 360 degrees retinotomy for exudative age-related macular degenerationSabine Aisenbrey
Department I, University Eye Clinic Tuebingen, Schleichstrasse 12-16, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Arch Ophthalmol 120:451-9. 2002..Although the procedure has a high rate of surgical and postoperative complications, the functional and anatomical results appear to be promising for selected patients with subfoveal CNV secondary to AMD...
- Sheathotomy in complicated cases of branch retinal vein occlusionSven Crafoord
Department of Ophthalmology, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Acta Ophthalmol 86:146-50. 2008..To report the clinical experience and results of using a microsurgical technique to decompress the arteriovenous connection in complicated branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO) combined with haemorrhage, oedema and ischaemia...
- Spontaneous separation in idiopathic vitreomacular traction syndrome associated with contralateral full-thickness macular holeA Rodriguez
Servicio Retina y Vítreo, Fundacion Oftalmologica Nacional, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad del Rosario, Bogota, Colombia
Eur J Ophthalmol 16:733-40. 2006..An association to a full-thickness macular hole was observed in the contralateral eye of one of the patients...
- Full macular translocation versus photodynamic therapy with verteporfin in the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration: 1-year results of a prospective, controlled, randomised pilot trial (FMT-PDT)Faik Gelisken
Centre for Ophthalmology, University of Tuebingen, Schleichstr 12, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:1085-95. 2007..The purpose of this study was to compare full macular translocation (FMT) with photodynamic therapy (PDT) in the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Macular translocation with radial scleral ouffolding: experimental studies and initial human resultsJ D Benner
Delmarva Vitreoretinal Center, Salisbury, Maryland, USA
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 239:815-23. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Limited macular translocation by radial scleral outfolding can improve vision in selected patients. Radial evagination appears to be as effective as circumferential infolding...
- Long-term results of submacular surgery combined with macular translocation of the retinal pigment epithelium in neovascular age-related macular degenerationRobert E MacLaren
Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ophthalmology 112:2081-7. 2005..Caution should be applied when drawing firm conclusions from similar studies that provide data after only 2 years' follow-up...
- Macular translocation surgery with 360-degree peripheral retinectomy following ocular photodynamic therapy of choroidal neovascularizationCarl H Park
Vitreoretinal Service, Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 136:830-5. 2003..MTS360 appears to be effective in stabilizing vision, especially in patients who had previously undergone only one OPT session. Further studies are indicated to evaluate the efficacy of MTS360 in this current era of OPT...
- [Results of limited macular translocation in subfoveal choroidal neovascularization in age-related macular degeneration]D Pawlak
Clinique Ophtalmologique Universitaire de Creteil, Hopital Intercommunal de Creteil, Service d Ophtalmologie, 40, avenue de Verdun, 94010 Creteil, France
J Fr Ophtalmol 27:3S31-7. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the visual results obtained with macular translocation (MT) in subfoveal choroidal neovascularization due to AMD...
- Initial experience of macular translocation in Singapore - one-year resultsK G Au Eong
The Eye Institute, Alexandra Hospital, Singapore
Ann Acad Med Singapore 33:641-8. 2004..This paper reports the 1-year results of the first 2 cases of macular translocation in Singapore...
- Change in visual function after macular translocation with 360 degrees retinectomy for neovascular age-related macular degenerationPrithvi Mruthyunjaya
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Ophthalmology 111:1715-24. 2004..Macular translocation with 360 degrees retinectomy is an effective treatment option for patients with vision loss in their second eye resulting from neovascular AMD...
- Unsuccessful vitrectomy without gas tamponade for macular retinal detachment and retinoschisis without optic disc pitKazuki Hotta
Department of Ophthalmology, Kameda Medical Center, Chiba, Japan
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 35:328-31. 2004..Vitreous traction may not have played a major role in introducing fluid into the submacular space in this case. Gas tamponade may be indispensable to achieve surgical success. This may also pertain to some cases of optic nerve pits...
- Foveal sensitivity and fixation stability before and after macular translocation with 360-degree retinotomyTomohito Oyagi
Department of Ophthalmology, Osaka Rosai Hospital, Osaka University Medical School, Japan
Retina 24:548-55. 2004....
- Treatment of submacular hemorrhage with low-dose intravitreal tissue plasminogen activator injection and pneumatic displacementB A Handwerger
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 119:28-32. 2001..Final visual acuity was limited by the underlying presence of end-stage ARMD...
- Retinal vasculitis and cystoid macular edema after body tattooing: a case reportM M Moschos
Jules Gonin Eye Hospital, Lausanne University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd 221:424-6. 2004..A phagocytosis of tattoo pigments leading to their lysis is described in the literature as a mechanism causing vasculitis...
- Treatment of central retinal vein occlusion with triamcinolone acetonide: an optical coherence tomography studyMichael Ip
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, University of Wisconsin, Clinical Science Center, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 18:67-73. 2003..Optical coherence tomography demonstrated significant anatomic improvement in the majority of patients with macular edema due to CRVO treated with intravitreal injection of triamcinolone acetonide...
- [Optical coherence tomography in the diagnosis and follow-up of patients with uveitic macular edema]E K Reinthal
Abteilung I, Universitatsaugenklinik, Tubingen
Ophthalmologe 101:1181-8. 2004..Knowledge about the efficacy of OCT in the diagnosis and follow-up of macular edema in uveitis patients is still limited...
- Limited macular translocation compared with photodynamic therapy in the management of subfoveal choroidal neovascularization in age-related macular degenerationDominique Pawlak
University Eye Clinic of Creteil, Intercommunal and Henri Mondor Assistance Publique des Hôpitaux de Paris Hospitals, University of Paris XII, 40 avenue de Verdun, 94010 Creteil, France
Am J Ophthalmol 137:880-7. 2004..To compare the visual outcome of macular translocation (MT) versus photodynamic therapy (PDT) for subfoveal predominantly classic neovascularization in age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- [Macular translocation with 360 degree retinotomy in the treatment if exudative macular degeneration. Functional and angiographic results]S Aisenbrey
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Universitat zu Koln, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, 50931 Koln
Ophthalmologe 99:164-70. 2002..Subsequent translocation of the foveal neural retina to adjacent healthy RPE should result in stabilization and possibly improvement of visual acuity...
- Is membrane extraction in cases of exudative age-related macular degeneration still up-to-date? A 4-year résuméJorg C Schmidt
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Marburg, Deutschland
Ophthalmologica 217:401-7. 2003..Parafoveal laser coagulation can be applied, and in cases of subfoveal location a pars plana vitrectomy with subretinal resection of the CNV is possible...
Research Grants145 found, 100 shown here
- Absolute Fundus Autofluorescence in Retinal DegenerationsROLAND THEODORE SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Biomedical Image Engineering of Macular ImagesR Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..These advances would extend profound health and social benefits to our aging population. ..
- Biomedical Image Engineering of Macular ImagesROLAND SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2009..These advances would extend profound health and social benefits to our aging population. ..
- Central Scotomas in AMD and Cortical RemappingJanet Sunness; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF THE MACULAR CAROTENOIDSPaul Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF THE MACULAR CAROTENOIDSPaul Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2007..This grant proposal will provide valuable insights into the physiology of the macular carotenoid pigments in the normal eye and a greater understanding of the alterations that may occur with aging and degenerative processes. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF THE MACULAR CAROTENOIDSPaul Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2009..This grant proposal will provide valuable insights into the physiology of the macular carotenoid pigments in the normal eye and a greater understanding of the alterations that may occur with aging and degenerative processes. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF THE MACULAR CAROTENOIDSPAUL STEVEN BERNSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..This grant proposal will provide valuable insights into the physiology of the macular carotenoid pigments in the normal eye and a greater understanding of the alterations that may occur with aging and degenerative processes. ..
- Early Retinal Disease Detection Using Standard And Novel Retinal Imaging TechniquDEAN VANNASDALE; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will lead to improved treatments that minimize vision loss in affected individuals. ..
- Perceptual encoding and imagery in prosopagnosiaJason Barton; Fiscal Year: 2007..From our prior work, we hypothesize that covert or unconscious recognition is the residual product of a partially damaged face network in the brain. We propose a functional imaging experiment to test this hypothesis. ..
- RAMAN DETECTION OF HUMAN MACULAR CAROTENOID PIGMENTSWerner Gellermann; Fiscal Year: 2002..Furthermore, we propose a series of clinical studies in humans to validate its function and to begin to establish its role as a possible screening test for AMD. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Screening of macular pigment levels. ..
- NON-INVASIVE MEASUREMENT OF RPE LIPOFUSCINFrancois DeLori; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed studies will provide needed data on relationships among AMD, lipofuscin and macular pigment, estimate genetic contribution to the latter, and assist identification of individuals at greatest risk for vision loss. ..
- SUBMACULAR SURGERY TRIALS PATHOLOGY CENTERHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2003..Additionally, eyes obtained post-mortem from patients enrolled in the SST will be studied for pathologic correlation with clinical findings and outcomes. ..
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastasisHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2003..Both the IFN and angiostatin will prevent the progression of micrometastases into metastases by anti-angiogenesis. Angiostatin will prevent metastases by an anti-melanoma invasion effect. ..
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastasisHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2007..The third aim determines the mechanism of combined angiostatin/IFN control of the micrometastases using methods in the first two aims. ..
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastsisHans E Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2010..The third aim determines the mechanism of combined angiostatin/IFN control of the micrometastases using methods in the first two aims. ..
- NONINVASIVE MEASUREMENT OF RPE LIPOFUSCINFrancois DeLori; Fiscal Year: 1993..Determine whether atrophic regions are bounded by regions of elevated lipofuscin, and whether extreme levels of lipofuscin identify retinal regions at risk for subsequent atrophy and/or neovascularization...
- SPATIAL EXTENT OF RETINAL DAMAGEAnn E Elsner; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will test whether the damage can be modeled as the early occurrence of an inflammatory response that differs among individuals and who could benefit from personalized treatment. ..
- Ophthalmic Imaging Using Adaptive Optics and OCTJohn Werner; Fiscal Year: 2009..These advanced imaging techniques will be deployed for evaluating the changes in the retina and optic nerve resulting from novel therapies for rescuing retinal layers from the leading causes of blindness. ..
- RETINAL PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF INFANTS AND ADULTSDavid Birch; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the mouse models, cone measures will necessarily focus on the b-wave, using monochromatic stimuli, long-duration flashes, and flicker to optimize isolation of cone from rod responses. ..
- RETINAL ARTERIOLAR ABNORMALITIES AND CV MORTALITYRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2002..Data from this study will improve the understanding of the association between microvascular characteristics and cardiovascular mortality. ..
- OCULAR MELANOMAJudy Kim; Fiscal Year: 2003..Standardized clinical and data collection procedures will be employed, and standardized forms will be used in all centers. Central training and certification of all study staff will be required. ..
- STUDY AND TREATMENT OF RETINOPATHY ASSOCIATED WITH AIDSWilliam Freeman; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..If we can determine the cause of the elevated pressure, then we may be able to develop a more effective pressure-lowering treatment or cure for this debilitating disease. ..
- Studies of Retinopathy of AIDS in the HAART EraWilliam Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2004..This will allow development of a low cost injectable drug delivery system that will allow treatment of resistant retinitis at intervals of every 3 months or longer without the added cost and risk of surgery in the operating room. ..
- MECHANISMS OF RETINAL VASCULAR PERMEABILITY IN DIABETESThomas Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2002..This combination of molecular and functional analyses will provide new insights into the pathogenesis of vascular permeability in diabetes and other retinopathies. ..
- Cholesterol Crystalline Domain Function in Eye Lens: EPR Spin-Labeling StudiesWitold K Subczynski; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- SPATIAL EXTENT OF RETINAL DAMAGEANN ELSNER; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies should provide tests for risk factors and noninvasive early detection, as well as possibly providing a better classification scheme and more accurate prognostic tests for patients with ARM/AMD. ..
- RETINAL PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF INFANTS AND ADULTSDavid Birch; Fiscal Year: 2000..We will determine whether modifying the lipid environment of the outer segment has an effect on the severity of degeneration in these animal models of RP where the disease-causing mutation affects outer segment structure. ..
- MECHANISMS OF RETINAL VASCULAR PERMEABILITY IN DIABETESThomas Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- WISCONSIN EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingAnn E Elsner; Fiscal Year: 2010..While this project focuses on diabetic retinopathy in humans, future applications include other retinal disorders in both humans and animal models. ..
- Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis-Eye StudyRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2005..insights into the relative contribution of microvascular disease to the pathophysiology and natural history of subclinical and clinical cardiovascular disease, in representative populations of men and women of diverse ethnicities ..
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingANN ELSNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will investigate the key features considered necessary for early detection grading, and also more the serious damage that is typically discovered late in the rural and urban underserved. ..
- Lipid Rafts in Eye Lens: Discrimination by Pulse EPRWITOLD SUBCZYNSKI; Fiscal Year: 2009..Age-related nuclear cataract is a primary cause of blindness in the elderly in third world countries. ..