Genomes and Genes
Summary: An oval area in the retina, 3 to 5 mm in diameter, usually located temporal to the posterior pole of the eye and slightly below the level of the optic disk. It is characterized by the presence of a yellow pigment diffusely permeating the inner layers, contains the fovea centralis in its center, and provides the best phototropic visual acuity. It is devoid of retinal blood vessels, except in its periphery, and receives nourishment from the choriocapillaris of the choroid. (From Cline et al., Dictionary of Visual Science, 4th ed)
Publications267 found, 100 shown here
- Macular thickness variations with sex, age, and axial length in healthy subjects: a spectral domain-optical coherence tomography studyWon Kyung Song
Department of Ophthalmology, Institute of Vision Research, Gangnam Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:3913-8. 2010..To assess the relationship between macular retinal thickness and volume and age, sex, and refractive error/axial length with spectral domain-optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT)...
- Normal macular thickness measurements in healthy eyes using Stratus optical coherence tomographyAnnie Chan
New England Eye Center, Tufts New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02111 1533, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 124:193-8. 2006..To report normal macular thickness measurements in healthy eyes using the latest commercially available optical coherence tomography (OCT) mapping software, version 3.0, from the Stratus OCT (OCT3)...
- Macular volume determined by optical coherence tomography as a measure of neuronal loss in multiple sclerosisBryn M Burkholder
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Arch Neurol 66:1366-72. 2009..Inner (area adjacent to the fovea) and outer regions of the macula differ with respect to relative thicknesses of the ganglion cell layer (neurons) vs retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL; axons)...
- Reproducibility of nerve fiber thickness, macular thickness, and optic nerve head measurements using StratusOCTLelia A Paunescu
New England Eye Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:1716-24. 2004..A2, Carl Zeiss Meditec Inc., Dublin, CA) was investigated. The nerve fiber layer (NFL) thickness, macula thickness map, and optic nerve head (ONH) parameters in normal eyes were studied...
- Triple therapy of vitrectomy, intravitreal triamcinolone, and macular laser photocoagulation for intractable diabetic macular edemaSe Woong Kang
Department of Ophthalmology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Am J Ophthalmol 144:878-885. 2007..To evaluate the effect of a sequentially combined triple therapy on intractable diabetic macular edema (DME)...
- Long-term follow-up of vitrectomy for diffuse nontractional diabetic macular edemaKazuyuki Kumagai
Shinjo Ophthalmologic Institute, Miyazaki, Japan
Retina 29:464-72. 2009..To report the long-term results of pars plana vitrectomy for diffuse nontractional diabetic macular edema...
- Spectral- and time-domain optical coherence tomography measurements of macular thickness in normal eyes and in eyes with diabetic macular edemaM A Ibrahim
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Eye (Lond) 26:454-62. 2012..To report macular thickness values in normal eyes and eyes with diabetic macular edema (DME) using time-domain (TD) and spectral-domain (SD) optical coherence tomography (OCT), and to derive a conversion equation...
- Optical coherence tomography evaluation of detached macula from rhegmatogenous retinal detachment and central serous chorioretinopathySun Young Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, 388 1 Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Korea
Am J Ophthalmol 145:1071-1076. 2008..To compare structural changes using optical coherence tomography (OCT) and visual acuity (VA) loss in patients with shallow macula-off rhegmatogenous retinal detachment (RD) and central serous chorioretinopathy (CSC) involving the macula...
- Diagnosis of macular pseudoholes and lamellar macular holes by optical coherence tomographyBelkacem Haouchine
Department of Ophthalmology, Hopital Lariboisiere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite, Paris, France
Am J Ophthalmol 138:732-9. 2004..To assess the usefulness of optical coherence tomography (OCT) for better differential diagnosis of macular pseudoholes (MPH) and lamellar macular holes (LMH)...
- Maculas affected by age-related macular degeneration contain increased chelatable iron in the retinal pigment epithelium and Bruch's membranePaul Hahn
F M Kirby Center for Molecular Ophthalmology, Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:1099-105. 2003..To investigate whether iron is involved in the pathogenesis of age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Comparison of macular thickness measurements between time domain and spectral domain optical coherence tomographyChristopher Kai Shun Leung
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Peoples Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:4893-7. 2008..To compare macular thickness measurements obtained from time domain optical coherence tomography (OCT) and spectral domain OCT and to evaluate their repeatability and agreement...
- The effect of duration of macular detachment on results after the scleral buckle repair of primary, macula-off retinal detachmentsTarek S Hassan
Associated Retinal Consultants, PC, The Department of Ophthalmology, William Beaumont Hospital Eye Institute, 3535 West 13 Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Ophthalmology 109:146-52. 2002..To present a current series that determined the effect of duration of macular detachment (DMD) and patient age on postscleral buckle (SB) visual acuity (VA) and anatomic results...
- Vitrectomy for diffuse macular edema in cases of diabetic retinopathyN Tachi
Department of Ophthalmology, Aichi Medical University, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 122:258-60. 1996..To ascertain the effects of posterior vitreous detachment for diffuse diabetic macular edema...
- Comparison of optical coherence tomography models OCT1 and Stratus OCT for macular retinal thickness measurementV Pierre-Kahn
Service d Ophtalmologie, Hôpital Lariboisière 2, rue Ambroise Pare, 75475 Paris Cedex 10, France
Br J Ophthalmol 89:1581-5. 2005..To compare the values measured for retinal macular thickness with the first and last generations of the optical coherence tomograph (OCT1 and Stratus OCT, Zeiss, Humphrey Division)...
- Use of optical coherence tomography (OCT) and indirect ophthalmoscopy in the diagnosis of macular edema in diabetic patientsR O Moreira
State Institute of Diabetes and Endocrinology (IEDE, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Int Ophthalmol 24:331-6. 2001..High levels of haemoglobin A1c might be associated with the presence of ME. Diabetic complications (nephropathy and neuropathy) are associated with retinopathy but not with macular edema...
- [Diagnosis and follow-up of non-diabetic macular edema with optical coherence tomography (OCT)]A E Schneeberg
Augenklinik, Universitat Wurzburg
Ophthalmologe 100:960-6. 2003..Objective and quantitative follow-up of macular edema with present clinical methods is limited. We studied to what extent optical coherence tomography (OCT) may be clinically useful in diagnosis and follow-up of non-diabetic macular edema...
- Changes in macular pigment optical density and serum concentrations of its constituent carotenoids following supplemental lutein and zeaxanthin: the LUNA studyMeike Trieschmann
Institute of Ophthalmology, St Franziskus Hospital, and Institute of Epidemiology, University of Munster, Germany
Exp Eye Res 84:718-28. 2007..Further, our results suggest that saturable mechanisms play a role in the retinal capture and/or stabilisation of the macular carotenoids...
- Associations between chronic glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1c) level and macular volume in diabetes patients without macular oedemaLing Yeung
Department of Ophthalmology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Keelung, Taiwan
Acta Ophthalmol 88:753-8. 2010..This study aimed to examine the correlation between glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1c) level and macular volume in diabetes patients without diabetic macular oedema (DMO)...
- Relationship of macular microcirculation and retinal thickness with visual acuity in diabetic macular edemaKumi Sakata
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Ophthalmology 114:2061-9. 2007....
- Natural history of macular status in recent-onset branch retinal vein occlusion: an optical coherence tomography studyDaraius Shroff
Guru Nanak Eye Centre, Maulana Azad Medical College, University of Delhi, New Delhi 110002, India
Int Ophthalmol 28:261-8. 2008..To evaluate serially the course of structural changes in the macula in recent onset branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO), using optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- Vitreous inflammatory factors and serous macular detachment in branch retinal vein occlusionHidetaka Noma
Department of Ophthalmology, Yachiyo Medical Center, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Owada shinden, Yachiyo, Chiba, Japan
Retina 32:86-91. 2012....
- Focal macular electroretinogram in macular edema secondary to central retinal vein occlusionKen Ogino
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:3514-20. 2011..To evaluate the usefulness of focal macular electroretinography (fmERG) for evaluation of macular function in eyes with central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO)...
- A central dip in the macular pigment spatial profile is associated with age and smokingMark L Kirby
Department of Chemical and Life Sciences, Waterford Institute of Technology, Waterford, Ireland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:6722-8. 2010..To investigate the relationship between specific macular pigment (MP) spatial profiles and risk factors for age-related macular degeneration (AMD)...
- Macular thickness interoperator and intraoperator reproducibility in healthy eyes using 7 optical coherence tomography instrumentsLuisa Pierro
Department of Ophthalmology, University Vita Salute, Scientific Institute San Raffaele, Via Olgettina 60, Milan, Italy
Am J Ophthalmol 150:199-204.e1. 2010..To evaluate macular thickness measurement reproducibility using 6 new spectral-domain (SD) optical coherence tomography (OCT) devices and 1 time-domain OCT device..
- Macular thickness measurements in healthy Norwegian volunteers: an optical coherence tomography studyAlexandra Wexler
Department of Ophthalmology, St Olavs University Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
BMC Ophthalmol 10:13. 2010..Our purpose was to collect normative macular thickness data in Norwegians and to evaluate the association between macular thickness and age, gender, parity, and contraception status...
- Assessment of macular function by microperimetry in unilateral resolved central serous chorioretinopathyH Ozdemir
Ophthalmology, The Istanbul Retina Institute Inc, UNIMED Center, Istanbul, Turkey
Eye (Lond) 22:204-8. 2008..To determine macular sensitivity and fixation characteristics in patients with unilateral resolved central serous chorioretinopathy (CSC) using fundus-related microperimetry...
- Macular and retinal nerve fiber layer thickness measurements in normal eyes with the Stratus OCT, the Cirrus HD-OCT, and the Topcon 3D OCT-1000Jingjing Huang
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China Center for Advanced Eye Care, Carson City, NV, USA
J Glaucoma 20:118-25. 2011..To compare retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) and macular thickness measurements using time-domain optical coherence tomography (TD OCT) and 2 Fourier-domain OCTs (FD OCT)...
- Anatomical outcomes of surgery for idiopathic macular hole as determined by optical coherence tomographyMichael S Ip
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Wisconsin, Clinical Science Center, F4 336, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 120:29-35. 2002....
- Comparison of three different optical coherence tomography models for total macular thickness measurements in healthy controlsMarcel N Menke
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Zurich, Frauenklinikstrasse 24 CH 8091 Zürich, Switzerland
Ophthalmologica 223:352-6. 2009..The purpose of this study was to compare 3 commercially available OCT models for retinal thickness measurements in healthy controls...
- The influence of supplemental lutein and docosahexaenoic acid on serum, lipoproteins, and macular pigmentationElizabeth J Johnson
Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1521-9. 2008..Lutein and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) may protect against age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Lutein is a component of macular pigment. DHA is in the retina...
- Quality issues in interpretation of optical coherence tomograms in macular diseasesAmitha Domalpally
Fundus Photograph Reading Center, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
Retina 29:775-81. 2009..To analyze the scan characteristics associated with poor-quality Stratus optical coherence tomograms submitted to a reading center for multicenter clinical trials...
- Comparison of macular and peripapillary measurements for the detection of glaucoma: an optical coherence tomography studyChristopher K S Leung
Department of Ophthalmology, Caritas Medical Centre, Hong Kong, China
Ophthalmology 112:391-400. 2005....
- Diabetic macular oedema and visual loss: relationship to location, severity and durationThomas W Gardner
Department of Ophthalmology, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Acta Ophthalmol 87:709-13. 2009..To assess the relationship between visual acuity (VA) and diabetic macular oedema (DMO) in relation to the location of retinal thickening and the severity and duration of central macular thickening...
- Macular hole formation: new data provided by optical coherence tomographyA Gaudric
Department of Ophthalmology, Hopital Lariboisiere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris 7, France
Arch Ophthalmol 117:744-51. 1999..To establish the sequence of events leading from vitreofoveal traction to full-thickness macular hole formation...
- Evaluation of macular changes before and after successful retinal detachment surgery using stratus-optical coherence tomographyAmelie Lecleire-Collet
Department of Ophthalmology, Rouen University Hospital Charles Nicolle, Rouen, France
Am J Ophthalmol 142:176-9. 2006..To assess preoperative and postoperative infra-clinical macular changes in macula-off retinal detachment (RD) using third-generation optical coherence tomography (OCT3)...
- Spectral-domain optical coherence tomography imaging of the detached macula in rhegmatogenous retinal detachmentHideo Nakanishi
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Shougoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
Retina 29:232-42. 2009..To assess detached macula in rhegmatogenous retinal detachment by using spectral-domain optical coherence tomography...
- Macular recovery after retinal detachmentHana Abouzeid
Department of Vitreretinal Surgery, Jules Gonin Eye Hospital, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 84:597-605. 2006..However, new therapeutic options such as exposure to hyperoxia or different growth factors may help to improve the final visual outcome in the presence of an already detached macula...
- How effective is macula-off retinal detachment surgery. Might good outcome be predicted?E Doyle
St Thomas Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, London, SE1 7EH, UK
Eye (Lond) 21:534-40. 2007..To determine factors associated with anatomical and functional outcomes of macula-off retinal detachment surgery in a modern vitreoretinal unit...
- Long-term follow-up with optical coherence tomography and microperimetry in eyes with metamorphopsia after macula-off retinal detachment repairA Rossetti
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Eye (Lond) 24:1808-13. 2010..to report the long-term sequential morphological and functional results in eyes with metamorphopsia after retinal detachment (RD) repair...
- Macular thickness measurements in normal eyes using spectral domain optical coherence tomographyJohn E Legarreta
Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 39:S43-9. 2008..The purpose of this study was to define and measure macular thickness in normal eyes using spectral domain optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- Measurement of retinal nerve fiber layer thickness and macular volume for glaucoma detection using optical coherence tomographyTomonari Ojima
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 51:197-203. 2007..To evaluate retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) thickness and macular volume in normal eyes and in the eyes of patients with glaucoma, and to compare the usefulness of these measurements in diagnosing glaucomatous eyes...
- The multifocal electroretinogram in acute macular neuroretinopathyAndrew C Browning
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Unit, University Hospital, Queen s Medical Center, Nottingham, England
Arch Ophthalmol 121:1506-7. 2003
- Structural and functional assessment of the macular region in patients with glaucomaF N Kanadani
Department of Psychology, Columbia University, 405 Schermerhorn, New York, NY 10027, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1393-7. 2006....
- Assessment of macular retinal thickness and volume in normal eyes and highly myopic eyes with third-generation optical coherence tomographyP C Wu
Department of Ophthalmology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Eye (Lond) 22:551-5. 2008..To compare the macular retinal thickness and macular volume between subjects with high myopia and non-myopia...
- The macular thickness and volume in glaucoma: an analysis in normal and glaucomatous eyes using OCTA Giovannini
Institute of Ophthalmology, University, Ancona, Italy
Acta Ophthalmol Scand Suppl 236:34-6. 2002..To evaluate macular volume in normal and glaucomatous eyes using Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)...
- Evaluation of changes of macular thickness in diabetic retinopathy after cataract surgerySoon Il Kwon
Department of Ophthalmology, Hallym University Sacred Heart Hospital, 896 Pyeongchon dong, Anyang, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 25:238-42. 2011..To assess the macular thickness changes after cataract surgery in diabetic patients using optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- An investigation of the retinal nerve fibre layer in progressive multiple sclerosis using optical coherence tomographyAndrew P D Henderson
NMR Research Unit, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London, WC1N 3BG, UK
Brain 131:277-87. 2008..This may indicate a difference in the extent of the pathological processes that cause axonal loss in the retina, and by inference the optic nerve, in secondary progressive MS and primary progressive MS...
- The change of macular thickness measured by optical coherence tomography in relation to glycemic control in diabetic patientsSang Woong Moon
Department of Ophthalmology, Kyung Hee University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 249:839-48. 2011..To demonstrate the change in macular thickness using optical coherence tomography in diabetic patients and to assess its relationship with glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) levels...
- Macular thickness evaluation using the optical coherence tomography in normal Indian eyesHem K Tewari
Dr Rajendra Prasad Centre for Ophthalmic Sciences, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 52:199-204. 2004..To determine the normative values for macular thickness and volume by Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT 3) in healthy Indian subjects...
- The variation in optical coherence tomography-measured macular thickness in diabetic eyes without clinical macular edemaDavid J Browning
Charlotte Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Associates, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 145:889-93. 2008..To determine the variation in optical coherence tomography (OCT)-measured macular thickness in diabetic eyes without clinical edema and to investigate factors that might influence variation in macular thickness...
- Diagnostic capability of macular parameters of Stratus OCT 3 in detection of early glaucomaR S Parikh
Bombay City Eye Institute and Research Center, 5 Victor Villa, Babulnath Road, Mumbai 400107, India
Br J Ophthalmol 94:197-201. 2010..To report the diagnostic capability of Stratus OCT macular parameters in early glaucoma...
- Comparison of human retinal pigment epithelium gene expression in macula and periphery highlights potential topographic differences in Bruch's membraneSimone S van Soest
Department of Clinical and Molecular Ophthalmogenetics, The Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience, an institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences KNAW, Meibergdreef, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Mol Vis 13:1608-17. 2007..To describe gene expression differences between healthy, young human retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) cells from the macular area and RPE cells from two locations in the retinal periphery...
- Comparison of the clinical diagnosis of diabetic macular edema with diagnosis by optical coherence tomographyDavid J Browning
Charlotte Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Associates, 6035 Fairview Road, Charlotte, NC 28210, USA
Ophthalmology 111:712-5. 2004..To compare the diagnosis of diabetic macular edema (DME) by stereoscopic slit-lamp biomicroscopic examination of the fundus with a 78-diopter noncontact lens with diagnosis by optical coherence tomography (OCT)...
- Macular thickness changes in glaucomatous optic neuropathy detected using optical coherence tomographyDavid S Greenfield
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, 7108 Fairway Dr, Suite 340, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:41-6. 2003..To correlate macular thickness and retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) thickness in normal and glaucomatous eyes using optical coherence tomography...
- Macular microcirculation and macular oedema in branch retinal vein occlusionH Noma
Department of Ophthalmology, Yachiyo Medical Center, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Yachiyo, Chiba 276 8524, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 93:630-3. 2009..The relationship between the blood-flow velocity in the perifoveal capillaries and macular oedema was investigated in patients with branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO)...
- Optical coherence tomography findings in photic maculopathySheau Jiun Huang
LuEsther T Mertz Retinal Research Center, Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, New York, NY, USA
Retina 23:863-6. 2003
- Evaluation of retinal nerve fiber layer, optic nerve head, and macular thickness measurements for glaucoma detection using optical coherence tomographyFelipe A Medeiros
Hamilton Glaucoma Center and Department of Ophthalmology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0946, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 139:44-55. 2005..To compare the ability of optical coherence tomography retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL), optic nerve head, and macular thickness parameters to differentiate between healthy eyes and eyes with glaucomatous visual field loss...
- Dome-shaped macula in eyes with myopic posterior staphylomaDavid Gaucher
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Lariboisiere, Service d Ophtalmologie, Universite Paris 7, Paris, France
Am J Ophthalmol 145:909-14. 2008..To describe an unusual feature in myopic eyes responsible for visual loss, which we call a dome-shaped macula...
- High-speed, ultra-high-resolution optical coherence tomography of acute macular neuroretinopathyB K Monson
Br J Ophthalmol 91:119-20. 2007
- A method of drusen measurement based on the geometry of fundus reflectanceR Theodore Smith
Department of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Biomed Eng Online 2:10. 2003..Current manual methods of drusen measurement are laborious and subjective. Our purpose was to expedite clinical research with an accurate, reliable digital method...
- A method of drusen measurement based on reconstruction of fundus background reflectanceR T Smith
Harkness Eye Institute, Columbia University College of Pysicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 89:87-91. 2005..Current manual methods of drusen segmentation and quantification are laborious and subjective. The authors introduced a digital method and tested it for accuracy and reliability...
- Microperimetric assessment of patients with type 2 idiopathic macular telangiectasiaPeter Charbel Issa
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3788-95. 2007..To assess changes of the light increment sensitivity (LIS) of the macular area in patients with type 2 idiopathic macular telangiectasia (IMT)...
- Serous macular detachment associated with retinal arterial macroaneurysmKyoichi Takahashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 50:460-4. 2006..To report optical coherence tomography (OCT) findings of macular edema secondary to retinal arterial macroaneurysms...
- Macular infarction after intravitreal ganciclovir injection in a patient with acute retinal necrosisSeong Woo Kim
Can J Ophthalmol 43:124-5. 2008
- Diurnal variation in clinically significant diabetic macular edema measured by the Stratus OCTAntonio Polito
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Udine, Italy
Retina 26:14-20. 2006..To investigate diurnal variation in clinically significant macular edema (CSME) using the Stratus OCT (Carl Zeiss Meditec)...
- Heritability of macular thickness determined by optical coherence tomographyMatthew D Chamberlain
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:336-40. 2006..To examine whether genetic factors significantly influence macular thickness in healthy older subjects...
- Defining the human macula transcriptome and candidate retinal disease genes using EyeSAGECatherine Bowes Rickman
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:2305-16. 2006....
- Classifying and grading retinal signs in severe malariaS P Harding
St Paul s Eye Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Trop Doct 36:1-13. 2006
- Racial differences in macular thickness in healthy eyesBaharak Asefzadeh
VA Boston Healthcare System, Eye Clinic, Jamaica, Plain, Massachusetts 02130, USA
Optom Vis Sci 84:941-5. 2007..In this study, we compared macular thickness in healthy eyes of black and white subjects using optical coherence tomography (Stratus OCT)...
- Central retinal thickness is positively correlated with macular pigment optical densityS H Melissa Liew
Twin Research and Genetic Epidemiology Unit, St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
Exp Eye Res 82:915-20. 2006..This finding has important implications for future studies investigating MPOD, and its response to dietary modification/supplementation...
- Distribution of macular thickness by optical coherence tomography: findings from a population-based study of 6-year-old childrenSon C Huynh
Department of Ophthalmology, the University of Sydney and the Centre for Vision Research, Westmead Millennium Institute, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:2351-7. 2006..To study the distribution of macular thickness by ocular and demographic variables in a population-based study of young children...
- Natural course of macular retinoschisis in highly myopic eyes without macular hole or retinal detachmentNoriaki Shimada
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 142:497-500. 2006..To investigate the natural course of macular retinoschisis in highly myopic patients...
- Anatomy and development of the macula: specialisation and the vulnerability to macular degenerationJan M Provis
Research School of Biological Sciences, The Australian National University, GPO Box 475, Canberra, ACT, 2601, Australia
Clin Exp Optom 88:269-81. 2005..Both the inflammatory response and the sequelae of oxidative stress are predictable outcomes in this scenario...
- Optical coherence tomographic evaluation of macular infarction following dapsone overdoseNazimul Hussain
Smt Kanuri Santhamma Retina Vitreous Centre, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 54:271-2. 2006..Hence, OCT could show the progression of foveal atrophy from cystic macular edema following dapsone poisoning...
- Ethnic differences in macular pigment density and distributionUte E K Wolf-Schnurrbusch
Klinik und Poliklinik für Augenheilkunde, Inselspital, University Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3783-7. 2007..In this study, the authors investigate ethnic differences in macular pigment density (MPD) and macular pigment (MP) distribution...
- Regional variations in the relationship between macular thickness measurements and myopiaDennis Shun Chiu Lam
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Peoples Republic of China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:376-82. 2007..To investigate the relationship between myopia and macular thickness, as measured by optical coherence tomography...
- Analysis of retinal nerve fiber layer and macular thickness measurements in healthy Taiwanese individuals using optical coherence tomography (Stratus OCT)Sheng Yao Hsu
Department of Ophthalmology, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital and Institute of Medicine Science and Medicine, College of Medicine, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan
J Glaucoma 17:30-5. 2008..To investigate the reproducibility of peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) and macular thickness measurements in healthy Taiwanese subjects using optical coherence tomography (Stratus OCT)...
- Topography of diabetic macular edema with optical coherence tomographyM R Hee
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA
Ophthalmology 105:360-70. 1998..The topographic mapping protocol provided geographic information on macular thickness that was intuitive and objective...
- Normative data for macular thickness by high-definition spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (spectralis)Sandeep Grover
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Jacksonville, FL32209, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 148:266-71. 2009..To establish normative data for the macular thickness by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) in subjects with no known retinal disease...
- Quantification of reduced macular pigment optical density in the central retina in macular telangiectasia type 2Peter Charbel Issa
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Exp Eye Res 89:25-31. 2009..This disease might serve as a model to further study abnormalities of MP distribution in retinal disorders and to elucidate the mechanisms of MP deposition in the retina...
- Paramacular colobomaDebi Pian
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Santa Barbara Community Based Outpatient Clinic, Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Optom Vis Sci 80:556-63. 2003..Associated ocular findings may include blepharophimosis, situs inversus, or other anomalous retinal vascular patterns...
- Role of OCT in the diagnosis and follow up of diabetic macular edemaGiacomo Panozzo
TECLO SRL, Vitreoretinal Service, Verona, Italy
Semin Ophthalmol 18:74-81. 2003..We think that this tool should always be used in monitoring the effect of therapies in future studies...
- Causes of macular serous retinal detachments in Japanese patients 40 years and olderTaiichi Hikichi
Ohtsuka Eye Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Retina 29:395-404. 2009..To investigate the causes of macular serous retinal detachment without hemorrhage at the macula in patients 40 years and older...
- Toll-like receptor 3 and geographic atrophy in age-related macular degenerationZhenglin Yang
Sichuan Academy of Medical Sciences and Sichuan Provincial People s Hospital, Chengdu, China
N Engl J Med 359:1456-63. 2008..Advanced age-related macular degeneration consists of geographic atrophy and choroidal neovascularization. The specific genetic variants that predispose patients to geographic atrophy are largely unknown...
- Differential expression of anti-angiogenic factors and guidance genes in the developing maculaPeter Kozulin
ARC Centre of Excellence in Vision Science and School of Biology, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
Mol Vis 15:45-59. 2009..The aim of this study was to identify novel genes that may influence retinal vascular patterning and definition of the foveal avascular area...
- Analysis of macular thickness in British population using optical coherence tomography (OCT): an emphasis on interocular symmetryMohamed El-Ashry
Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Curr Eye Res 33:693-9. 2008..To evaluate macular thickness measurements in normal subjects from British origin, to assess interocular asymmetry using optical coherence tomography (OCT) and to establish standard values for macular and foveal thickness...
- Macular thickness measurements in healthy subjects with different axial lengths using optical coherence tomographyYoshikatsu Wakitani
Department of Ophthalmology, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu Mie, Japan
Retina 23:177-82. 2003..To evaluate the retinal thickness of the macula in healthy subjects with different axial lengths...
- Repeatability and reproducibility of macular thickness measurements with the Humphrey OCT systemSarah Muscat
Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:490-5. 2002..To assess the accuracy, precision, repeatability, and reproducibility of measurements made by the Humphrey optical coherence tomography (OCT) system (Humphrey-Zeiss Medical Systems, San Leandro, CA)...
- Serous retinal detachment and cystoid macular edema in hypotony maculopathyG T Kokame
Division of Ophthalmology, Department of Surgery, University of Hawaii School of Medicine, Honolulu, Hawaii 96701, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 131:384-6. 2001..To report the foveal structural findings of hypotony maculopathy imaged with optical coherence tomography...
- Immunological and aetiological aspects of macular degenerationP L Penfold
Department Clinical Ophthalmology, Save Sight Institute, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Prog Retin Eye Res 20:385-414. 2001....
- Patients with Sjögren-Larsson syndrome lack macular pigmentRob L P VAN DER Veen
University Eye Clinic, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ophthalmology 117:966-71. 2010..Ophthalmic symptoms in SLS are reduced visual acuity and photophobia. This article reports the deficiency of macular pigment as a novel finding in this peculiar, congenital maculopathy...
- Macular infarction after intravitreal amikacin: mounting evidence against amikacinG Galloway
Br J Ophthalmol 86:359-60. 2002
- Macular thickness measurements in normal eyes with time-domain and Fourier-domain optical coherence tomographyJingjing Huang
State Key Laboratory of Ophthalmology, Zhongshan Ophthalmic Center, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Retina 29:980-7. 2009..To compare macular thickness measurements using time-domain optical coherence tomography (OCT) and Fourier-domain OCT...
- Prediction of macular edema exacerbation after phacoemulsification in patients with nonproliferative diabetic retinopathyHideharu Funatsu
Department of Ophthalmology, Diabetes Center, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
J Cataract Refract Surg 28:1355. 2002....
- Development of macular pseudoholes: a 36-month period of follow-upMonica Varano
Fondazione per l Oftalmologia G B Bietti, Rome, Italy
Retina 22:435-42. 2002..To assess the changes in visual acuity and macular sensitivity and the possible evolution into a full-thickness macular hole in patients with macular pseudoholes during a 3-year follow-up period...
- Macular thickness measured by optical coherence tomography (OCT) in diabetic patientsR Lattanzio
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University Hospital S Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 12:482-7. 2002....
- Temporal variation in diabetic macular edema measured by optical coherence tomographyRobert N Frank
Kresge Eye Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Ophthalmology 111:211-7. 2004..To determine, by optical coherence tomography (OCT), whether there is a quantitative decrease in macular edema in diabetic subjects over the course of a day...
- Macular complications on the border of an inferior staphyloma associated with tilted disc syndromeHideo Nakanishi
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Retina 28:1493-501. 2008..To describe the clinical characteristics of macular complications on the border of an inferior staphyloma associated with tilted disk syndrome...
- Comparison of epiretinal membranes of differing pathogenesis using optical coherence tomographyKeisuke Mori
Department of Ophthalmology, Saitama Medical School, 38 Morohongo, Moroyama, Iruma, Saitama 350 0495, Japan
Retina 24:57-62. 2004..To compare optical coherence tomography (OCT) images of idiopathic epiretinal membranes (ERMs) with those of secondary ERMs...
- Pattern of macular thickness changes measured by ocular coherence tomography in patients with multiple sclerosisK Gugleta
Outpatient Neurology Clinic, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 225:408-12. 2008..An analysis of the pattern of retinal thickness changes in macula in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) was performed...
- Optical coherence tomography measurement of macular and nerve fiber layer thickness in normal and glaucomatous human eyesViviane Guedes
New England Eye Center, Tufts School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Ophthalmology 110:177-89. 2003..To evaluate the hypothesis that macular thickness correlates with the diagnosis of glaucoma...
Research Grants160 found, 100 shown here
- Biomedical Image Engineering of Macular ImagesROLAND SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2009..These advances would extend profound health and social benefits to our aging population. ..
- Absolute Fundus Autofluorescence in Retinal DegenerationsROLAND THEODORE SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF THE MACULAR CAROTENOIDSPAUL STEVEN BERNSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..This grant proposal will provide valuable insights into the physiology of the macular carotenoid pigments in the normal eye and a greater understanding of the alterations that may occur with aging and degenerative processes. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF THE MACULAR CAROTENOIDSPaul Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2007..This grant proposal will provide valuable insights into the physiology of the macular carotenoid pigments in the normal eye and a greater understanding of the alterations that may occur with aging and degenerative processes. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF THE MACULAR CAROTENOIDSPaul Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2009..This grant proposal will provide valuable insights into the physiology of the macular carotenoid pigments in the normal eye and a greater understanding of the alterations that may occur with aging and degenerative processes. ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGY OF THE MACULAR CAROTENOIDSPaul Bernstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Central Scotomas in AMD and Cortical RemappingJanet Sunness; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Biomedical Image Engineering of Macular ImagesR Smith; Fiscal Year: 2007..These advances would extend profound health and social benefits to our aging population. ..
- RETINAL NERVE FIBER LAYER REFLECTANCE MECHANISMSROBERT KNIGHTON; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- RETINAL NERVE FIBER LAYER REFLECTANCE MECHANISMSXiangrun Huang; Fiscal Year: 2007..Birefringence is an intrinsic property of the tissue, depends directly on RNFL ultrastructure, and may provide a means of early detection of structural damage to ganglion cells in glaucoma. ..
- RAMAN DETECTION OF HUMAN MACULAR CAROTENOID PIGMENTSWerner Gellermann; Fiscal Year: 2002..Furthermore, we propose a series of clinical studies in humans to validate its function and to begin to establish its role as a possible screening test for AMD. PROPOSED COMMERCIAL APPLICATION: Screening of macular pigment levels. ..
- SUBMACULAR SURGERY TRIALS PATHOLOGY CENTERHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2003..Additionally, eyes obtained post-mortem from patients enrolled in the SST will be studied for pathologic correlation with clinical findings and outcomes. ..
- NON-INVASIVE MEASUREMENT OF RPE LIPOFUSCINFrancois DeLori; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed studies will provide needed data on relationships among AMD, lipofuscin and macular pigment, estimate genetic contribution to the latter, and assist identification of individuals at greatest risk for vision loss. ..
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastasisHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2003..Both the IFN and angiostatin will prevent the progression of micrometastases into metastases by anti-angiogenesis. Angiostatin will prevent metastases by an anti-melanoma invasion effect. ..
- Perceptual encoding and imagery in prosopagnosiaJason Barton; Fiscal Year: 2007..From our prior work, we hypothesize that covert or unconscious recognition is the residual product of a partially damaged face network in the brain. We propose a functional imaging experiment to test this hypothesis. ..
- Early Retinal Disease Detection Using Standard And Novel Retinal Imaging TechniquDEAN VANNASDALE; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will lead to improved treatments that minimize vision loss in affected individuals. ..
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastsisHans E Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2010..The third aim determines the mechanism of combined angiostatin/IFN control of the micrometastases using methods in the first two aims. ..
- NONINVASIVE MEASUREMENT OF RPE LIPOFUSCINFrancois DeLori; Fiscal Year: 1993..Determine whether atrophic regions are bounded by regions of elevated lipofuscin, and whether extreme levels of lipofuscin identify retinal regions at risk for subsequent atrophy and/or neovascularization...
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastasisHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2007..The third aim determines the mechanism of combined angiostatin/IFN control of the micrometastases using methods in the first two aims. ..
- SPATIAL EXTENT OF RETINAL DAMAGEAnn E Elsner; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will test whether the damage can be modeled as the early occurrence of an inflammatory response that differs among individuals and who could benefit from personalized treatment. ..
- RETINAL PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF INFANTS AND ADULTSDavid Birch; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the mouse models, cone measures will necessarily focus on the b-wave, using monochromatic stimuli, long-duration flashes, and flicker to optimize isolation of cone from rod responses. ..
- Ophthalmic Imaging Using Adaptive Optics and OCTJohn Werner; Fiscal Year: 2009..These advanced imaging techniques will be deployed for evaluating the changes in the retina and optic nerve resulting from novel therapies for rescuing retinal layers from the leading causes of blindness. ..
- RETINAL ARTERIOLAR ABNORMALITIES AND CV MORTALITYRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2002..Data from this study will improve the understanding of the association between microvascular characteristics and cardiovascular mortality. ..
- OCULAR MELANOMAJudy Kim; Fiscal Year: 2003..Standardized clinical and data collection procedures will be employed, and standardized forms will be used in all centers. Central training and certification of all study staff will be required. ..
- STUDY AND TREATMENT OF RETINOPATHY ASSOCIATED WITH AIDSWilliam Freeman; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..If we can determine the cause of the elevated pressure, then we may be able to develop a more effective pressure-lowering treatment or cure for this debilitating disease. ..
- Studies of Retinopathy of AIDS in the HAART EraWilliam Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2004..This will allow development of a low cost injectable drug delivery system that will allow treatment of resistant retinitis at intervals of every 3 months or longer without the added cost and risk of surgery in the operating room. ..
- SPATIAL EXTENT OF RETINAL DAMAGEANN ELSNER; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies should provide tests for risk factors and noninvasive early detection, as well as possibly providing a better classification scheme and more accurate prognostic tests for patients with ARM/AMD. ..
- WISCONSIN EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- MECHANISMS OF RETINAL VASCULAR PERMEABILITY IN DIABETESThomas Gardner; Fiscal Year: 2002..This combination of molecular and functional analyses will provide new insights into the pathogenesis of vascular permeability in diabetes and other retinopathies. ..
- RETINAL PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF INFANTS AND ADULTSDavid Birch; Fiscal Year: 2000..We will determine whether modifying the lipid environment of the outer segment has an effect on the severity of degeneration in these animal models of RP where the disease-causing mutation affects outer segment structure. ..
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingAnn E Elsner; Fiscal Year: 2010..While this project focuses on diabetic retinopathy in humans, future applications include other retinal disorders in both humans and animal models. ..
- Cholesterol Crystalline Domain Function in Eye Lens: EPR Spin-Labeling StudiesWitold K Subczynski; Fiscal Year: 2010....