- Role of sialic acid and complex carbohydrate biosynthesis in biofilm formation by nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae in the chinchilla middle ear
Center for Microbial Pathogenesis, Columbus Children s Research Institute, Department of Pediatrics, The Ohio State University, College of Medicine and Public Health, 700 Children s Drive, Rm W591, Columbus, OH 43205 2696, USA
Infect Immun 73:3210-8. 2005
..NTHI forms biofilms in vitro as well as in the chinchilla middle ear, suggesting that biofilm formation in vivo might play an important role in the pathogenesis and chronicity of OM...
- Tumor suppressor CYLD acts as a negative regulator for non-typeable Haemophilus influenza-induced inflammation in the middle ear and lung of mice
Jae Hyang Lim
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e1032. 2007
..Our data demonstrated that CYLD is induced by NTHi in the middle ear and lung of mice...
- Sialylation of lipooligosaccharides promotes biofilm formation by nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae
W Edward Swords
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Infect Immun 72:106-13. 2004
..N-acetyl-neuraminic) acid promotes biofilm formation by NTHi in vitro and bacterial persistence within the middle ear or lung in vivo...
- Serotype distribution and penicillin resistance of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates from middle ear fluids of pediatric patients with acute otitis media in Japan
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama Shi, Wakayama 640 8501, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 46:3808-10. 2008
Out of 175 pneumococcal isolates from middle ear fluids, 26.3% were penicillin-resistant S. pneumoniae (PRSP). Serotypes 19F and 23F occurred most frequently among PRSP strains...
- Middle ear pressure regulation--complementary active actions of the mastoid and the Eustachian tube
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital, Aalborg, Denmark
Otol Neurotol 31:603-11. 2010
b>Middle ear pressure (MEP) is actively regulated by both the Eustachian tube and the mastoid air cell system.
- Characterization of a temperature-sensitive mouse middle ear epithelial cell line
Department of Otolaryngology, Otitis Media Research Center, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 125:823-9. 2005
Temperature-sensitive mouse middle ear epithelial cells have been successfully established and characterized.
- Assembling a functional tympanic membrane: signals from the external acoustic meatus coordinate development of the malleal manubrium
Department of Developmental Biology, Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology, Stubeweg 51, D 79108 Freiburg, Germany
Development 127:4127-36. 2000
..Vibrations in this membrane are then transduced into the inner ear by the ossicle chain of the middle ear, composed of the malleus, incus and stapes...
- High frequency of Alloiococcus otitidis in the nasopharynx and in the middle ear cavity of otitis-prone children
Department of Otolaryngology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:1009-14. 2006
Colonization of middle ear pathogens is facilitated in the nasopharynx of otitis-prone children, and is associated with the development of otitis media...
- Tetrapod-like middle ear architecture in a Devonian fish
Martin D Brazeau
Subdepartment of Evolutionary Organismal Biology, Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology, Evolutionary Biology Centre, Uppsala University, Norbyv 18A, SE 752 36 Uppsala, Sweden
Nature 439:318-21. 2006
..in the remodelling of the spiracular tract and suspensorium (jaw suspension) of osteolepiform fishes into the middle ear of tetrapods have remained elusive...
- Evolutionary development of the middle ear in Mesozoic therian mammals
Institute of Geology, Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences, Beijing 100037, China
Science 326:278-81. 2009
The definitive mammalian middle ear (DMME) is defined by the loss of embryonic Meckel's cartilage and disconnection of the middle ear from the mandible in adults...
- Evidence of local antibody response against Alloiococcus otitidis in the middle ear cavity of children with otitis media
Department of Otolaryngology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 49:41-5. 2007
..otitidis has a pathogenic role and induces local immune response in the middle ear as a true pathogen. Whole bacterial sonicate of A...
- Comparison of the antiemetic effects of ondansetron and dexamethasone on middle ear surgery
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Bsevler, Ankara, Turkey
Saudi Med J 27:646-51. 2006
To compare the antiemetic efficacy of ondansetron and dexamethasone in adults undergoing middle ear surgery.
- Induction of mucous cell metaplasia in the middle ear of rats using a three-step method: an improved model for otitis media with mucoid effusion
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota Otitis Media Research Center, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 122:153-60. 2002
Otitis media with mucoid effusion, characterized by mucous cell metaplasia in the middle ear cleft and thick fluid accumulation in the middle ear cavity, is a common otological disease that frequently affects young children...
- Role of complement in defense of the middle ear revealed by restoring the virulence of nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae siaB mutants
Marisol A Figueira
Section of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Maxwell Finland Laboratory for Infectious Diseases, Room 508, 774 Albany Street, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Infect Immun 75:325-33. 2007
..influenzae strains, which in turn may impact their virulence. These data demonstrate a central role for complement in innate immune defenses against NT H. influenzae infections and specifically EOM...
- Induction of beta defensin 2 by NTHi requires TLR2 mediated MyD88 and IRAK-TRAF6-p38MAPK signaling pathway in human middle ear epithelial cells
Haa Yung Lee
The Gonda Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, CA, USA
BMC Infect Dis 8:87. 2008
..We believe that this report is the first attempt to elucidate NTHi induced beta-defensin expression in airway mucosa, which includes the middle ear.
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dosed-finding study of the antiemetic effects and tolerability of ramosetron in adults undergoing middle ear surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, Toride Kyodo General Hospital, Toride, Japan
Clin Ther 25:3100-8. 2003
..another SSRA, in preventing emetic symptoms in adults in the first 48 hours after the start of anesthesia for middle ear surgery...
- Demonstration of nasopharyngeal and middle ear mucosal biofilms in an animal model of acute otitis media
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 118:292-8. 2009
We performed this study to determine the role of nasopharyngeal and middle ear (ME) biofilms in acute otitis media (AOM).
- Streptococcus pneumoniae forms surface-attached communities in the middle ear of experimentally infected chinchillas
Sean D Reid
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
J Infect Dis 199:786-94. 2009
..Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus) causes respiratory and systemic infections that are a major public health problem worldwide. It has been postulated that pneumococci persist in vivo in biofilm communities...
- Jun N-terminal protein kinase enhances middle ear mucosal proliferation during bacterial otitis media
Department of Surgery, UCSD School of Medicine, Fir Bldg, Rm 106, 9500 Gilman Dr 0666, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Infect Immun 75:2562-71. 2007
..the participation of signaling via the Jun N-terminal protein kinase (JNK) mitogen-activated protein kinase in middle ear mucosal hyperplasia in animal models of bacterial otitis media...
- Hag directly mediates the adherence of Moraxella catarrhalis to human middle ear cells
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Medical College of Ohio, 3055 Arlington Ave, Health Education Bldg, Rm 267, Toledo, OH 43614, USA
Infect Immun 73:5127-36. 2005
..with a spectinomycin resistance cassette, and the binding of isogenic mutants to primary cultures of human middle ear epithelial cells (HMEE), as well as A549 pneumocytes, was measured...
- Clinically applicable multiplex PCR for four middle ear pathogens
P H Hendolin
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Microbiol 38:125-32. 2000
..H. Hendolin, A. Markkanen, J. Ylikoski, and J. J. Wahlfors, J. Clin. Microbiol. 35:2854-2858, 1997) in middle ear effusions (MEEs) was modified to be better suited for clinical use...
- Prophylactic antiemetic effect of midazolam after middle ear surgery
Jae Sik Jung
Department of Anesthesiology, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Jung Gu, Daegu, Republic of Korea
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:753-6. 2007
To investigate the prophylactic antiemetic effect of midazolam after middle ear surgery.
- Middle ear and cochlear disorders result in different DPOAE growth behaviour: implications for the differentiation of sound conductive and cochlear hearing loss
Daniel D Gehr
ENT Department, Technische Universitat Munchen, Clinic rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Strasse 22, D 81675 Munich, Germany
Hear Res 193:9-19. 2004
..With an inner ear dysfunction a steeper I/O-function is observed. Due to the linear sound processing of the middle ear, one can assume that the DPOAE growth behaviour remains unaltered with a sound conduction dysfunction...
- Preliminary study of proinflammatory cytokines and chemokines in the middle ear of acute otitis media due to Alloiococcus otitidis
Department of Otolaryngology, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:677-80. 2009
..In the middle ear, proinflammatory cytokines and chemokines are released in association with infection by pathogens, and these ..
- Middle ear and mastoid glomus tumors (glomus tympanicum): an algorithm for the surgical management
Gruppo Otologico, Piacenza Rome, Italy
Auris Nasus Larynx 37:661-8. 2010
Glomus tumors are slow-growing benign lesions and represent the most common primary neoplasms of the middle ear. The objective of the present study is to report our surgical strategy in the management of glomus tympanicum tumors.
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the mastoid cavity and middle ear: prevalence and clinical significance of incidental abnormal findings in a nonotolaryngologic adult and pediatric population
Dong Hee Lee
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
J Otolaryngol 35:13-8. 2006
The purposes of this study were to determine the prevalence of abnormalities in the mastoid cavity and middle ear in a nonotolaryngologic population and to correlate the results with clinical data.
- Multiple osteomas in the middle ear
Chang Woo Kim
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Hallym University College of Medicine, 445 Gil Dong, Gangdong gu, Seoul 134 701, Korea
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 263:1151-4. 2006
Osteomas in the middle ear are extremely rare and are generally solitary and small...
- On the physics of the infant feeding bottle and middle ear sequela: ear disease in infants can be associated with bottle feeding
C E Brown
Mt Zion Family Care Center, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, 1200 North State Highway 121, Mt Zion, IL 62549 USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 54:13-20. 2000
..The negative pressure inside the bottle causes the infant to suck excessively and the intraoral negative pressure may subsequently be transmitted to the middle ear via the eustachian tube.
- Giant cell tumor of the petrous temporal bone with direct invasion into the middle ear
Ming Yang Lee
Neurosurgical Service, Department of Surgery, National Cheng Kung University Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan
J Craniofac Surg 17:797-800. 2006
..GCT of the right petrous temporal bone extending into the contiguous middle cranial fossa, infratemporal space, middle ear and external ear canal...
- Changes of oral trigeminal sensitivity in patients after middle ear surgery
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
Laryngoscope 117:1636-40. 2007
..The specific aim of this study was to re-investigate the effect of chorda tympani damage on both trigeminal sensitivity and taste ability...
- Otoendoscopy in cholesteatoma surgery of the middle ear: what benefits can be expected?
ORPAC ENT Department Face and Neck Surgery Clinique du Palais, Grasse, France www orpac grasse com
Otol Neurotol 29:1085-90. 2008
This study was conducted with the aim of determining the contribution of otoendoscopy in the surgical management of cholesteatoma of the middle ear.
- Antiemetic efficacy of dexamethasone combined with midazolam after middle ear surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Daegue, Republic of Korea
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 141:684-8. 2009
To evaluate the antiemetic efficacy of dexamethasone combined with midazolam after middle ear surgery.
- Facial canal anatomy in patients with mandibulofacial dysostosis: comparison with respect to the severities of microtia and middle ear deformity
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Otol Neurotol 26:803-8. 2005
To study the difference in the facial canal anatomy in terms of the severity of microtia and deformity of the middle ear in patients with mandibulofacial dysostosis using high-resolution computed tomography.
- Retinoic acid disturbs mouse middle ear development in a stage-dependent fashion
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology, Freiburg, Germany
Dev Biol 184:175-86. 1997
The mammalian middle ear contains a chain of three ossicles, the malleus, incus, and stapes, that transmit into the inner ear the vibrations produced in the tympanic membrane by aerial sound...
- Middle ear structure and bone conduction in Spalax, Eospalax, and Tachyoryctes mole-rats (Rodentia: Spalacidae)
Matthew J Mason
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
J Morphol 271:462-72. 2010
- Minimally invasive, image-guided, facial-recess approach to the middle ear: demonstration of the concept of percutaneous cochlear access in vitro
Robert F Labadie
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 8605, USA
Otol Neurotol 26:557-62. 2005
Image-guided surgery will permit accurate access to the middle ear via the facial recess using a single drill hole from the lateral aspect of the mastoid cortex.
- Acoustic responses of the human middle ear
S E Voss
Eaton Peabody Laboratory of Auditory Physiology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Hear Res 150:43-69. 2000
Measurements on human cadaver ears are reported that describe sound transmission through the middle ear. Four response variables were measured with acoustic stimulation at the tympanic membrane: stapes velocity, middle-ear cavity sound ..
- Partial characterization of normal and Haemophilus influenzae-infected mucosal complementary DNA libraries in chinchilla middle ear mucosa
Joseph E Kerschner
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee 53226, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 119:270-8. 2010
We sought to construct and partially characterize complementary DNA (cDNA) libraries prepared from the middle ear mucosa (MEM) of chinchillas to better understand pathogenic aspects of infection and inflammation, particularly with respect ..
- Role of transtympanic endoscopy of the middle ear in the diagnosis of perilymphatic fistula in patients with sensorineural hearing loss or vertigo
Department of Otolaryngology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 64:301-6. 2002
The diagnosis of perilymphatic fistula (PLF) is often difficult, and therefore the condition can be overlooked. Tympanoscopy presents an alternative procedure for visualising the middle ear anatomy, and it may help to diagnose PLF.
- Virtual endoscopy of the middle ear: experimental and clinical results of a standardised approach using multi-slice helical computed tomography
Department of Neuroradiology, Medical School Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, Germany
Eur Radiol 12:1684-92. 2002
Virtual endoscopy (VE) enables non-invasive 3D endoluminal imaging of the middle ear by post-processing of CT data. To optimise the clinical application a standardised approach was evaluated in normal and pathologic cases...
- Genotyping of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae isolated from paired middle ear fluid and nasopharynx by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Wakayama Medical University, Kimiidera 811 1, Wakayama Shi, Wakayama, Japan
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 66:233-40. 2004
..isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae and 30 isolates of Haemophilus influenzae from paired nasopharynx and middle ear fluids of 21 children with acute otitis media (AOM) were evaluated to determine genotypes by polymerase chain ..
- Selective expression of aquaporin 1, 4 and 5 in the rat middle ear
Department of Pharmacology, Miyazaki Medical College, Kiyotake, Japan
Hear Res 158:51-6. 2001
The middle ear cavity is an air-filled space that must be maintained for effective sound transmission to the inner ear...
- The human anterior tympanic artery. A nutrient artery of the middle ear with highly variable origin
Department 2, Institute of Anatomy, University of Vienna, Austria
Cells Tissues Organs 166:388-94. 2000
..the deep auricular, middle, and accessory meningeal, as well as the posterior deep temporal, inferior alveolar and masseteric arteries were found to form common trunks with the anterior tympanic artery...
- Computer-integrated finite element modeling of human middle ear
School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, The University of Oklahoma, 865 Asp Avenue, Room 200, Norman, OK 73019, USA
Biomech Model Mechanobiol 1:109-22. 2002
The objective of this study was to produce an improved finite element (FE) model of the human middle ear and to compare the model with human data...
- Detection of mucin gene expression in normal rat middle ear mucosa by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction
Y P Chen
Department of Otolaryngology, College of Medicine and Public Health, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210-1282, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 121:45-51. 2001
..The mechanisms controlling mucin secretion in the middle ear are not completely understood...
- Virtual CT otoscopy of the middle ear and ossicles in dogs
College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University, Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 49:545-50. 2008
Virtual otoscopy enables noninvasive 3D endoluminal imaging of the middle ear through postprocessing of computed tompgraphy (CT) data...
- ENaC- and CFTR-dependent ion and fluid transport in human middle ear epithelial cells
Jae Young Choi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu Seoul, 120 752, Republic of Korea
Hear Res 211:26-32. 2006
Ion channels, such as the epithelial sodium channel (ENaC), are essential for maintaining a fluid-free middle ear cavity by controlling periciliary fluid...
- Virtual endoscopy imaging of the middle ear cavity and ossicles
T S Karhuketo
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Tampere University Hospital, Finland
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 259:77-83. 2002
..Virtual endoscopic images were produced with separate, commercially available software, paying attention to the middle ear cavity and ossicles...
- In vitro reconstruction of a three-dimensional middle ear mucosal organ and its in vivo transplantation
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 126:801-10. 2006
These experimental findings suggest the feasibility of artificial middle ear mucosa grafting as an effective treatment for achieving mucosal regeneration after middle ear surgery.
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the external auditory canal and middle ear: an operation combined with preoperative chemoradiotherapy and a free surgical margin
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Otol Neurotol 27:242-8; discussion 249. 2006
..Treatment outcomes for squamous cell carcinoma of the temporal bone were evaluated regarding stage, therapeutic strategy, and prognostic factors...
- Difference in facial canal anatomy in terms of severity of microtia and deformity of middle ear in patients with microtia
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Laryngoscope 113:635-9. 2003
To study the difference in the facial canal anatomy in terms of the severity of microtia and deformity of the middle ear in patients with microtia using high-resolution computed tomography (HRCT).
- Measurements of human middle ear forward and reverse acoustics: implications for otoacoustic emissions
Stanford University, Mechanics and Computation Division, Palo Alto, California 94305, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 113:2773-89. 2003
..These measurements can be used to fully characterize the middle ear as a two-port system...
- Radiopaque contrast dye in nasopharynx reaches the middle ear during swallowing and/or yawning
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville 22908, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 125:625-8. 2005
Contrast dye in the nasopharynx reaches the middle ear during swallowing and yawning in normal adults. This suggests that displacement of bacteria in nasopharyngeal secretion to the middle ear may occur frequently during sleep.
- Signaling pathways in interleukin-1beta-mediated middle ear mucin secretion
Joseph E Kerschner
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology and the Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Laryngoscope 116:207-11. 2006
..protein kinase C (PKC), and nitric oxide synthase (NOS) pathways during upregulation of mucin secretion by middle ear epithelium after exposure to interleukin-1beta and to examine the ability of a specific interleukin-1 receptor ..
- Central auditory pathways mediating the rat middle ear muscle reflexes
Daniel J Lee
Eaton Peabody Laboratory, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 288:358-69. 2006
The middle ear muscle (MEM) reflexes function to protect the inner ear from intense acoustic stimuli and to reduce acoustic masking. Sound presented to the same side or to the opposite side activates the MEM reflex on both sides...
- An advanced computer-aided geometric modeling and fabrication method for human middle ear
School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Oklahoma, 865 Asp Avenue, Room 201, Norman, OK 73019, USA
Med Eng Phys 24:595-606. 2002
..a practical and systematic method for reconstructing accurate computer and physical models of the entire human middle ear. The proposed method starts with the histological section preparation of human temporal bone...
- Inflammatory pseudotumor of the middle ear masquerading as Bell's palsy
Richard G Lee
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Case Western Reserve University University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 28:423-6. 2007
..Therefore, the relationship between an IPT and facial nerve paralysis is vital and must be recognized for treatment and to maximize postoperative facial nerve function...
- Current use of implants in middle ear surgery
R A Goldenberg
Department of Otolaryngology, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio, USA
Otol Neurotol 22:145-52. 2001
..Of the 575 questionnaires mailed, 274 (47%) were returned. Only 248 of the respondents performed middle ear surgery (43%), and their responses constitute the database for this study...
- Middle ear impedance measurements in large vestibular aqueduct syndrome
Ege University, Medical School, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Izmir, Turkey
Auris Nasus Larynx 36:263-8. 2009
To assess the effect of inner ear pressure on middle ear impedance in patients with large vestibular aqueduct syndrome (LVAS).
- Eosinophils are activated in middle ear mucosa and middle ear effusion of patients with intractable otitis media associated with bronchial asthma
Department of Otolaryngology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, 2 11 1 Kaga, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8605, Japan
Clin Exp Allergy 31:1135-43. 2001
..with intractable otitis media associated with bronchial asthma have extensive accumulation of eosinophils in the middle ear mucosa and middle ear effusion, systematic histological and immunohistochemical studies have not been performed.
- Comparison of the efficacy of propofol and metoclopramide in preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting after middle ear surgery
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Saudi Med J 30:778-82. 2009
To compare the administration of sub hypnotic dose of propofol with metoclopramide and placebo in prevention of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) after middle ear surgery.
- The mastoid as a functional rate-limiter of middle ear pressure change
William J Doyle
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 3000 Mt Royal Blvd, Glenshaw, PA 15116, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 71:393-402. 2007
The physiological function of the mastoid air cell system (MACS) with respect to middle ear (ME) pressure-regulation remains controversial because predictive mathematical models and experimental data to formulate and test hypotheses are ..
- The prevalence and significance of incidental middle ear and mastoid cavity abnormalities on MRI in a pediatric population
Mustafa Kemal University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Radiology, Antakya 31100, Hatay, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 72:1849-54. 2008
The purposes of this study were to determine the prevalence of abnormalities in the middle ear and mastoid cavity on the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in children and correlate the results with clinical data, tympanometric findings and ..
- Middle ear barotrauma with hyperbaric oxygen therapy: incidence and the predictive value of the nine-step inflation/deflation test and otoscopy
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
Ear Nose Throat J 87:684-8. 2008
We conducted a prospective study to determine the incidence of middle ear barotrauma in patients who were undergoing hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)...
- In vivo adenoviral transduction of the neonatal rat cochlea and middle ear
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, , , Germany
Hear Res 151:30-40. 2001
..AdV) vector was used for gene transfer of a beta-galactosidase (beta-gal) reporter gene to the neonatal middle ear and cochlea of 5 day old rats...
- Laser Doppler vibrometry of the middle ear in humans: derivation dependence, variability, and bilateral differences
Department of Ear, Nose, and Throat Diseases, Vilnius University Emergency Hospital, Vilnius, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 45:878-86. 2009
..Derivation dependence, inter- and intrasubject/intertest variability, bilateral differences of the eardrum vibration characteristics have been investigated using laser Doppler vibrometry (LDV)...
- Anomalous vessel in the middle ear: the role of CT and MR angiography
J G Caldas
Department of Radiology, , , Brazil
Neuroradiology 40:748-51. 1998
..These investigations, coupled with knowledge of the embryological development allowed a diagnosis of a complex vascular anomaly in the middle ear and avoided potential surgical complications.
- A huge osteoma of the middle ear
Yang Sun Cho
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Ilwon dong 50, Kangnam Ku, Seoul 135 710, South Korea
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 69:1569-74. 2005
Osteomas of the middle ear are rare benign neoplasms. Most of the cases caused conductive hearing loss and others were asymptomatic and diagnosed incidentally...
- Ondansetron/promethazine combination or promethazine alone reduces nausea and vomiting after middle ear surgery
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Medical School at Houston 77030, USA
J Clin Anesth 11:596-600. 1999
- Blinded multiplex PCR analyses of middle ear and nasopharyngeal fluids from chinchilla models of single- and mixed-pathogen-induced otitis media
L O Bakaletz
Department of Otolaryngology, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210 1282, USA
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 5:219-24. 1998
..We conclude that the multiplex PCR analyses are rapid and accurate methodologies when they are used to retrospectively evaluate diverse archival specimens of limited volume from experimental models of otitis media...
- The ototoxic effect of boric acid solutions applied into the middle ear of guinea pigs
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Ataturk Research and Training Hospital, Ministry of Health, Izmir, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 266:663-7. 2009
..These preparations are used for both their antiseptic and acidic qualities in external and middle ear infections. We investigated the ototoxic effect of boric acid solutions on guinea pigs...
- Localization of osteopontin at calcification sites of cholesteatoma: possible role as a regulator of deposition of calcium phosphate in the middle ear
Department of Pathology, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1 1 Mukogawa cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 663 8501, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 31:3-9. 2004
..To investigate the possibility of OPN as a common regulator of the pathological calcification in the middle ear, we here examined whether or not OPN is localized at the calcification sites of cholesteatoma, which is clearly ..
- Endolymphatic sac tumor (aggressive papillary tumor of middle ear and temporal bone): report of two cases with analysis of the VHL gene
Department of Pathology, Medical Faculty of Charles University, Pilsen, Czech Republic
Pathol Res Pract 204:599-606. 2008
..This mutation is a C to T exchange at position 194, resulting in amino acid exchange S65L. No mutation was found in any of the three exons analyzed and in the exon-intron junctions of the VHL gene in the sporadic case...
- Growth factors and their receptors in the middle ear mucosa during otitis media
Sean D Palacios
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, La Jolla 92093, USA
Laryngoscope 112:420-3. 2002
The hyperplastic response of the middle ear mucosa during bacterial otitis media is thought to be mediated by the actions of growth factors and their respective receptors...
- Evolution of the middle ear apparatus in Talpid moles
Matthew J Mason
University of Cambridge, Department of Physiology, Cambridge CB2 3EG, UK
J Morphol 267:678-95. 2006
The middle ear structures of eight species of mole in the family Talpidae (Mammalia: Eulipotyphla) were studied under light and electron microscopy...
- Effect of bacterial endotoxin and middle ear effusion on ciliary activity: implications for otitis media
Paul S Mason
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Southampton University Hospitals Trust, UK
Laryngoscope 112:676-80. 2002
..The pathogenesis is not fully understood, especially the reasons for failure of mucociliary clearance of the middle ear. It is not clear whether the cilia function normally in the middle ear and eustachian tube in the chronic phase ..
- Comparative anatomy of the paratympanic organ (vitali organ) in the middle ear of birds and non-avian vertebrates: focus on alligators, parakeets and armadillos
Jason A Neeser
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, University of Nevada School of Medicine, Reno, Nev 89557, USA
Brain Behav Evol 60:65-79. 2002
The paratympanic organ (PTO) in the middle ear has been described in numerous bird species, but little is known about the distribution of this presumed lateral line remnant in other vertebrate classes...
- Effectiveness of instillation of triamcinolone acetonide into the middle ear for eosinophilic otitis media associated with bronchial asthma
Department of Otolaryngology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 97:761-6. 2006
Eosinophilic otitis media (EOM) is a newly recognized middle ear disease found in asthmatic patients...
- Ciliary and secretory differentiation of normal human middle ear epithelial cells
Jae Young Choi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Acta Otolaryngol 122:270-5. 2002
Recent technical advances now permit the serial culture of normal human middle ear epithelial (NHMEE) cells. However, the ciliary differentiation of these cells has not been achieved...
- Mucous glands in the middle ear - what is known and what is not
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Gentofte University Hospital of Copenhagen, Denmark
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 64:86-94. 2002
A review of acquired and lacking knowledge on mucous glands in the human middle ear is presented...
- Pathology of idiopathic encephaloceles into the middle ear
Department of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology of the University of Bari, Section of Bioacoustics, Policlinico, Bari, Italy
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 64:73-9. 2002
Meningoencephalic herniations into the middle ear and mastoid are rare and histologic information has been supplied only in few reports...
- Effects of ossicular prosthesis mass and section of the stapes tendon on middle ear transmission
E A R Laboratory, Division of Otolaryngology, Department of Surgery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
J Otolaryngol 36:113-9. 2007
The effects of changing prosthesis mass on middle ear transmission have not been previously systematically studied. Neither has the effect of stapes tendon sectioning. These are important parameters that can be surgically varied.
- Expression of water channel proteins (aquaporins) in the rat Eustachian tube and middle ear mucosa
Sung Ho Kang
Gonda Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, CA 90057, USA
Acta Otolaryngol 127:687-92. 2007
Diverse expression of the different subtypes of aquaporins in different parts of the Eustachian tube and middle ear suggests region-specific functions of the aquaporins in the normal physiology of the tubotympanum and also suggests that ..
- The problem of middle ear cholesteatoma: etiology, genesis and pathobiology. A review
Laboratory of Physiological Chemistry, Faculty of Medicine, State University of Ghent, Belgium
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 45:355-67. 1991
This review provides an overview of the problem of middle ear cholesteatoma, and encompasses the following areas: the definition, the light and ultramicroscopic structure, the etiology, the pathogenesis (with special emphasis on the ..
- Dexamethasone increases fluid absorption via Na+/H+ exchanger (NHE) 3 activation in normal human middle ear epithelial cells
Jae Young Choi
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 536:12-8. 2006
The proper homeostasis of the liquid lining the surface of the middle ear cavity is vitally important for maintaining a fluid-free middle ear cavity...
- Efficacy of nasopharyngeal culture in identification of pathogen in middle ear fluid in chronic otitis media with effusion
O K Eser
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Indian J Med Microbiol 27:237-41. 2009
..This study aimed at evaluating the accuracy of nasopharyngeal (NP) specimens in the identification of pathogens in the middle ear fluid (MEF) in patients with OME.
- Analysis of 95 cases of squamous cell carcinoma of the external and middle ear
Division of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Sensory Medicine, Akita University School of Medicine, Hondo 1 1 1, Akita 010 8543, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 33:251-7. 2006
To analyze the clinical characteristics, 5-year survival, and prognostic factors of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the external and middle ear.
- Middle ear mucosa regeneration by grafting of artificial mucosa
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 127:1038-44. 2007
Artificial middle ear mucosa (AMEM), a sheet of mucosal cells grown on collagen gel populated with fibroblasts, is useful as graft material that is able to promote mucosal regeneration after middle ear surgery.
- Extending the chinchilla middle ear epithelial model for mucin gene investigation
Joseph E Kerschner
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, 9000 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:980-5. 2010
To investigate the expression of recently identified human mucin genes in an in vivo model of the chinchilla middle ear epithelium (CMEE).
- Leaving a lasting impression: ear mold impressions as middle ear foreign bodies
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 115:912-6. 2006
..We describe a series of otologic complications from impression material used to make hearing aid molds...
- Metallic foreign body in middle ear: an unusual cause of hearing loss
Department of Otolaryngology, G Gennimatas Hospital, Athens Greece
Head Face Med 3:23. 2007
This is a rare case report of a foreign metallic body found in the middle ear. During the use of an electric welding by a metalworker, a glowing drop of dissolved metal overrun, burning the skin of his external auditory meatus, perforated ..
- Foreign body in the middle ear, a hearing aid complication
University Malaysia Sarawak, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 63:267-8. 2008
..During the process of making ear mould impression, the impression material accidentally entered the right middle ear. Removal of the ear mould impression was possible permeatally under general anaesthesia.
- Clinical strategies for preventing postoperative nausea and vomitting after middle ear surgery in adult patients
First Department of Anesthesiology, Toho University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Curr Drug Saf 3:230-9. 2008
b>Middle ear surgery (tympanoplasty and mastoidectomy) performed under general or local anesthesia is associated with a high incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV)...
- Middle ear influence on otoacoustic emissions. I: noninvasive investigation of the human transmission apparatus and comparison with model results
Laboratoire de biophysique sensorielle EA 2667, Faculte de Medecine, Universite d Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
Hear Res 140:189-201. 2000
..and they can be acoustically detected in the external auditory meatus after backward propagation through the middle ear. In addition to being used to probe the cochlear mechanisms, they are expected to be sensitive to minute changes ..
- Characterization of mucins in human middle ear and Eustachian tube
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280:L1157-67. 2001
Mucins are important glycoproteins in the mucociliary transport system of the middle ear and Eustachian tube. Little is known about mucin expression within this system under physiological and pathological conditions...
- Pressure changes in the human middle ear without opening the eustachian tube
Hans Wilhelm Pau
ENT Department, Medical School, University of Rostock, Doberaner Strasse 137 9, Rostock, Germany
Acta Otolaryngol 129:1182-6. 2009
By means of a direct, though non-invasive experiment on healthy humans we could demonstrate that middle ear (ME) pressure decreases when the eustachian tube (ET) does not open...
- External and middle ear status related to evoked otoacoustic emission in neonates
K W Chang
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 119:276-82. 1993
..The purpose of this study was to determine the relationship between external auditory canal and middle ear status with click-evoked OAE...
- Multiserotype protection of mice against pneumococcal colonization of the nasopharynx and middle ear by killed nonencapsulated cells given intranasally with a nontoxic adjuvant
Division of Infectious Diseases, Children s Hospital, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Infect Immun 72:4290-2. 2004
..challenge of C57BL/6 mice with Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes 6B, 14, and 23F produced colonization of the middle ear and NP. Intranasal vaccination with ethanol-killed nonencapsulated cells with adjuvant protected both sites...
- Middle ear hemangiona: a case report
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, The Jikei University School of Medicine, 3 25 8 Nishishinbashi Minato Ku, 105 8461 Tokyo, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 35:255-9. 2008
A middle ear hemangioma was detected in a 51-year-old man who suffered from fullness and hearing loss in the left ear. This case is presented with a review of the relevant literature...
- Mucin gene expression in human middle ear epithelium
Joseph Edward Kerschner
Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, Children s Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Laryngoscope 117:1666-76. 2007
To investigate the expression of recently identified human mucin genes in human middle ear epithelial (MEE) specimens from in vivo middle ear (ME) tissue and to compare this mucin gene expression with mucin gene expression in an ..
- Carbon dioxide exchange via the mucosa in healthy middle ear
Department of Otolaryngology, The Nippon Dental University School of Dentistry at Niigata, Japan
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 125:975-8. 1999
Recent studies have shown that gas exchange via the middle ear mucosa, which is performed between the middle ear cleft and capillaries in the submucosal connective tissue, has an essential role in ventilation and pressure regulation in ..