Genomes and Genes
Summary: The thin serous membrane enveloping the lungs (LUNG) and lining the THORACIC CAVITY. Pleura consist of two layers, the inner visceral pleura lying next to the pulmonary parenchyma and the outer parietal pleura. Between the two layers is the PLEURAL CAVITY which contains a thin film of liquid.
Publications217 found, 100 shown here
- Pathology of the pleuraJohn C English
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Clin Chest Med 27:157-80. 2006The pleura and lung are intimately associated and share many pathologic conditions. Nevertheless, they represent two separate organs of different embryonic derivation and with different yet often symbiotic functions...
- Asbestos, carbon nanotubes and the pleural mesothelium: a review of the hypothesis regarding the role of long fibre retention in the parietal pleura, inflammation and mesotheliomaKen Donaldson
University of Edinburgh, Centre for Inflammation Research, Queens Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH164TJ, UK
Part Fibre Toxicol 7:5. 2010..In the course of studying the potential impact of HARN on the pleura we have utilised the existing hypothesis regarding the role of the parietal pleura in the response to long fibres...
- Pathophysiology of the pleuraMichael A Jantz
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla, USA
Respiration 75:121-33. 2008..We will also review the processes involved in the pathogenesis of pleural fibrosis...
- Length-dependent retention of carbon nanotubes in the pleural space of mice initiates sustained inflammation and progressive fibrosis on the parietal pleuraFiona A Murphy
University of Edinburgh Medical Research Council, the Centre for Inflammation Research, Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh, UK
Am J Pathol 178:2587-600. 2011..CNTs and long asbestos was characterized by acute inflammation, leading to progressive fibrosis on the parietal pleura, where stomata of strictly defined size limit the egress of long, but not short, fibers...
- Immunological mechanisms in pleural diseaseV B Antony
Indiana University School of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, RL Roudebush VA Medical Center, 1481 West 10th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Eur Respir J 21:539-44. 2003..The pleura, because of its intimate proximity to the lung, is positioned to respond to inflammatory changes in the lung ..
- Talc pleurodesis: basic fibroblast growth factor mediates pleural fibrosisVeena B Antony
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, PO Box 100225, Gainesville, FL 32610 0225, USA
Chest 126:1522-8. 2004..We hypothesized that the intrapleural instillation of talc induces the pleural mesothelial production of basic fibroblast growth factor (bFGF), which is responsible for pleural fibrosis...
- Blockage of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) reduces experimental pleurodesisLisete R Teixeira
Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Lung Cancer 74:392-5. 2011..We assessed the influence of the anti-VEGF antibody (bevacizumab) on pleurodesis induced by talc or silver nitrate and analyzed the temporal development of pleural angiogenesis...
- Expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in healthy pleura and in malignant mesotheliomaY Soini
Departments of Pathology and Internal Medicine, University of Oulu and Oulu University Hospital, Oulu, Finland
Br J Cancer 83:880-6. 2000..The strong expression of iNOS suggests a putative role for NO in the growth and progression of these tumours...
- Pleural tuberculosis in the United States: incidence and drug resistanceMichael H Baumann
2500 North State St, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216 4505, USA
Chest 131:1125-32. 2007..The diagnostic approach is under debate. Knowledge of pleural TB epidemiology would be beneficial. To help clarify pleural TB epidemiology, we analyzed US national TB surveillance data for 1993 to 2003...
- Pleural infection: what we need to know but don'tClaire L Tobin
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Sir Charles Gairdner, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Curr Opin Pulm Med 18:321-5. 2012..Despite advances in modern healthcare, the rising incidence and mortality of empyema highlights a need for better understanding of the disease and more effective strategies in its diagnosis and treatment...
- Effects of pleurotomy on respiratory sequelae after internal mammary artery harvestingHikmet Iyem
The Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
Tex Heart Inst J 33:116-21. 2006..retrospective study to evaluate the effects on postoperative pulmonary function of pleural integrity versus opened pleura, in patients who receive a left internal mammary artery graft...
- Transforming growth factor beta induces vascular endothelial growth factor elaboration from pleural mesothelial cells in vivo and in vitroY C Gary Lee
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, St Thomas Hospital and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37202, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:88-94. 2002..In conclusion, mesothelial cells are an important source of VEGF. TGF-beta increases the VEGF production by mesothelial cells in vivo and in vitro...
- Preservation of pleural integrity during coronary artery bypass surgery affects respiratory functions and postoperative pain: a prospective studyBilgehan Savas Oz
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Turkey
Can Respir J 13:145-9. 2006..To evaluate the role of preserved pleural integrity in postoperative pain and respiratory functional status in patients undergoing coronary revascularization...
- Pleural mesothelial cells mediate inflammatory and profibrotic responses in talc-induced pleurodesisMilena Marques P Acencio
Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Lung 185:343-8. 2007..We report that viable, talc-exposed, pleural mesothelial cells may actively mediate the primary inflammatory pleural response in talc-induced pleurodesis...
- Immune response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in the parietal pleura of patients with tuberculous pleurisyGaetano Caramori
Section of Respiratory Diseases, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
PLoS ONE 6:e22637. 2011The T lymphocyte-mediated immune response to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in the parietal pleura of patients with tuberculous pleurisy is unknown...
- Quantification of the pathological response and fate in the lung and pleura of chrysotile in combination with fine particles compared to amosite-asbestos following short-term inhalation exposureD M Bernstein
Consultant in Toxicology, Geneva, Switzerland
Inhal Toxicol 23:372-91. 2011..Subgroups were examined through 1 year. The translocation to and pathological response in the pleura was examined by scanning electron microscopy and confocal microscopy (CM) using noninvasive methods...
- Extranodal interdigitating dendritic cell sarcoma presenting in the pleura: a case reportHye Suk Han
Department of Internal Medicine, Chungbuk National University College of Medicine, Cheongju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:304-7. 2011..The authors report a case of extranodal IDCS presenting in the pleura. A 32-yr-old man presented with progressive chest pain...
- Telocytes in pleura: two- and three-dimensional imaging by transmission electron microscopyMihail E Hinescu
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, P O Box 35 29, Bucharest, 35, Romania
Cell Tissue Res 343:389-97. 2011..Our aim has been to examine whether telocytes (TCs) are present in pleura, as in epicardium and mesentery...
- Resident pleural macrophages are key orchestrators of neutrophil recruitment in pleural inflammationJean Francois Cailhier
Phagocyte Laboratory, MRC Center for Inflammation Research, University of Edinburgh, Teviot Place, Edinburgh, UK, EH8 9AG
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:540-7. 2006..The role played by resident pleural macrophages in the initiation of pleural inflammation is currently unclear...
- A₃ receptors are overexpressed in pleura from patients with mesothelioma and reduce cell growth via Akt/nuclear factor-κB pathwayKatia Varani
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Pharmacology Unit, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:522-30. 2011..Adenosine plays a key role in inflammatory processes and cancer, where it is involved in the regulation of cell death and proliferation...
- Respiratory dysfunction after coronary artery bypass grafting employing bilateral internal mammary arteries: the influence of intact pleuraM Bonacchi
Cattedra of Cardiac Surgery, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 19:827-33. 2001....
- Residual pleural thickening is related to vascular endothelial growth factor levels in parapneumonic pleural effusionsAndriana I Papaioannou
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University of Thessaly Medical School, Larissa, Greece
Respiration 80:472-9. 2010..Pleural fluid vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) levels are known to be elevated in complicated parapneumonic effusion and seem to play a major role in the fibrotic process in the pleura.
- Bacterial induction of pleural mesothelial monolayer barrier dysfunctionK A Mohammed
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 281:L119-25. 2001..Our results suggest that bacterial pathogens induce VEGF release in mesothelial cells and alter mesothelial permeability, leading to protein exudation in empyema...
- Preservation of pleural integrity in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting: effect on postoperative bleeding and respiratory functionIbrahim Goksin
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Pamukkale University Faculty of Medicine, Heart Center, Kinikli Denizli, Turkey
Acta Cardiol 61:89-94. 2006The purpose of this study was to evaluate the influence of preserved integrity of pleura on postoperative bleeding and respiratory function in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG).
- Transthoracic sonography of the lung and pleura in view of a suspected pulmonary embolism: a pilot studyKatia Mohn
Groupe d Etude de la Thrombose de Bretagne Occidentale, Department of Internal Medicine and Chest Diseases, Hopital de la Cavale Blanche, Brest, France
J Ultrasound Med 22:673-8; quiz 680-1. 2003..To evaluate the diagnostic performance of transthoracic sonography of the lung in view of an acute suspicion of pulmonary embolism...
- Mechanisms of pleurodesisFrancisco Rodriguez-Panadero
Unidad Médico Quirúrgica de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocio, Instituto de Biomedicina de Sevilla, and CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Sevilla, Spain
Respiration 83:91-8. 2012Pleurodesis aims to obliterate the pleural space by producing extensive adhesion of the visceral and parietal pleura, in order to control relapse of either pleural effusions (mostly malignant) or pneumothorax...
- Diagnosis and treatment of malignant pleural effusion: a systematic literature review and new approachesGiuseppe Lombardi
Istituto Oncologico Veneto, IRCCS, Padova, Italy
Am J Clin Oncol 33:420-3. 2010..However, the correct treatment depends on several factors such as performance status, expected survival, presence of lung reexpansion following pleural drainage and comorbidities...
- Pleurodesis is inhibited by anti-vascular endothelial growth factor antibodyYubiao B Guo
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat sen University, Guangzhou, ROC
Chest 128:1790-7. 2005..This study investigated whether anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) antibody has any effect on the fluid production or the pleurodesis induced by TGF-beta2...
- Prognostic features of residual pleural thickening in parapneumonic pleural effusionsD Jimenez Castro
Respiratory Dept, Zarzuela Clinic, Madrid, Spain
Eur Respir J 21:952-5. 2003..There are certain risk factors for the development of residual pleural thickening. However, this complication was not associated with long-term functional repercussions in the series of patients involved in this study...
- Chrysotile and tremolite asbestos fibres in the lungs and parietal pleura of Corsican goatsP Dumortier
Chest Department, CUB Hopital Erasme, 808 Route de Lennik, B1070 Brussels, Belgium
Occup Environ Med 59:643-6. 2002..Goats grazing in the contaminated areas inhale asbestos fibres. We used this natural animal model to study whether these exposures actually result in increased fibre burdens in the lungs and parietal pleura.
- BTS guidelines for the investigation of a unilateral pleural effusion in adultsN A Maskell
Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, Churchill Hospital Site, Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Thorax 58:ii8-17. 2003
- Yield of sputum induction in the diagnosis of pleural tuberculosisMarcus B Conde
Divisão de Tisiologia e Pneumologia, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:723-5. 2003..6). The yield of sputum cultures obtained by SI is high in patients suspected of having pleural TB even in those cases with no pulmonary parenchymal abnormalities on the chest radiograph...
- Perioperative feasibility of imaging the heart and pleura in patients with aortic stenosis undergoing aortic valve replacementC J Jakobsen
Aarhus University Hospital, Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Skejby, Aarhus, Denmark
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:589-95. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the feasibility of perioperative imaging of the heart and pleura according to the focused assessed transthoracic echocardiography protocol in patients scheduled for aortic valve ..
- The pathological response and fate in the lung and pleura of chrysotile in combination with fine particles compared to amosite asbestos following short-term inhalation exposure: interim resultsD M Bernstein
Inhal Toxicol 22:937-62. 2010....
- Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors of the pleura: an analysis of 55 patientsG Cardillo
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Azienda Ospedaliera San Camillo Forlanini, Ospedale Carlo Forlanini, Rome, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 70:1808-12. 2000Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors (LFTPs) of the pleura are rare, slow-growing neoplasms thought to originate from submesothelial connective tissue...
- Tight junction proteins contribute to barrier properties in human pleuraAlexander G Markov
Biological and Soil Faculty, St Petersburg State University, St Petersburg, Russia
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 175:331-5. 2011..Information on pleural barrier function in health and disease, however, is scarce. Tissue specimens of human pleura were mounted in Ussing chambers for measurement of transmesothelial resistance...
- Benign solitary fibrous tumour of the pleura: a clinical review and report of six casesFulvio Tagliabue
Department of Surgery, A Manzoni Hospital, Lecco
Chir Ital 57:649-53. 2005Primary tumours of the pleura are commonly divided into two major categories: diffuse and localised...
- Orally ingested chrysotile asbestos affects rat lungs and pleuraH Canan Hasanoglu
Division of Pulmonary Diseases, Ankara Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Environ Occup Health 63:71-5. 2008The authors designed this study to show the effects of orally ingested asbestos on the lungs and pleura. They designated 3 groups of rats: group A (n = 18) was given 1...
- Black spots of the parietal pleura: morphology and formal pathogenesisK M Muller
Institute of Pathology, BG Clinics Bergmannsheil, University Clinic, Bochum, Germany
Respiration 69:261-7. 2002..Black spots' seen as flat-to-nodular lesions of the parietal pleura are common findings in former miners. They represent areas of coal dust accumulation...
- Routine use of pleural fluid cultures. Are they indicated? Limited yield, minimal impact on treatment decisionsD Jimenez
Respiratory Department, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Respir Med 100:2048-52. 2006..In conclusion, this study demonstrates that, at least in our institution, routine microbial investigation of pleural fluid adds very little to the standard management of parapneumonic effusions...
- Innate immune responses in murine pleural mesothelial cells: Toll-like receptor-2 dependent induction of beta-defensin-2 by staphylococcal peptidoglycanTajamul Hussain
Division of Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, HSC Room M452, College of Medicine, Univ of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 295:L461-70. 2008..Taken together, these data indicate that PMCs may contribute to host innate immune defense upon exposure to gram-positive bacteria or their products within the pleural space by upregulating TLR-2 and mBD-2 expression...
- 'Black Spots' and hyaline pleural plaques on the parietal pleura of 150 urban necropsy casesKrassimir Mitchev
The Chest Department, Hospital Erasme, Université Libre de Buxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1198-206. 2002The absence of any direct connection between the lung and the parietal pleura raises questions about the mechanisms of pleural migration and retention of inhaled particles...
- Pathogenesis of pleural fibrosisSteven E Mutsaers
Centre for Asthma, Allergy and Respiratory Research, University of Western Australia, Australia
Respirology 9:428-40. 2004....
- Diagnostic thoracoscopyC Boutin
Department of Pulmonology, Hopital de la Conception, Marseille, France
Clin Chest Med 19:295-309. 1998..This article focuses on the technique, indications, and results of medical thoracoscopy...
- Fibre distribution in the lungs and pleura of subjects with asbestos related diffuse pleural fibrosisA R Gibbs
Department of Pathology, Llandough Hospital, Penarth
Br J Ind Med 48:762-70. 1991..Samples were taken from the visceral pleura and central and subpleural zones of the lungs for histopathological and mineralogical studies...
- Inhaled carbon nanotubes reach the subpleural tissue in miceJessica P Ryman-Rasmussen
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 4:747-51. 2009..This work suggests that minimizing inhalation of nanotubes during handling is prudent until further long-term assessments are conducted...
- Tuberculous effusion: ADA activity correlates with CD4+ cell numbers in the fluid and the pleuraM Gaga
Respiratory Medicine Department, Medical School, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Respiration 72:160-5. 2005..Data on the correlation between ADA and T cells or macrophages in tuberculous effusions are conflicting. Furthermore, no studies have examined a possible correlation between pleural tissue infiltration and ADA...
- Induction of pleural empyema in rats by thoracentesis with intrapleural pressure monitoringLuciano F Schopf
Graduate Program in Medicine Surgery, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS Brazil
Pediatr Surg Int 20:515-9. 2004..The macroscopic changes, amount of pleural fluid, and anatomopathological aspects of pleura and lungs were recorded, as well as death causes and bacteriological findings of pleural fluid for animals that ..
- Pleural mechanics and fluid exchangeStephen J Lai-Fook
Center for Biomedical Engineering, Wenner Gren Research Laboratory, Univ of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506 0070, USA
Physiol Rev 84:385-410. 2004..Homeostasis in pleural liquid volume is achieved by an adjustment of the pleural liquid thickness to the filtration rate that is matched by an outflow via lymphatic stomata...
- Transthoracic ultrasound of lung and pleura in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism: a novel non-invasive bedside approachAngelika Reissig
Pneumology and Allergology Division, Department I, Medical University Clinics, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Respiration 70:441-52. 2003..bedside approach which is based on (1) detecting alterations in the lung parenchyma, (2) involvement of the pleura and (3) peripheral perfusion characteristics associated with thromboembolism. Using a 5 MHz or 3...
- Ultrastructure and three-dimensional study of the lymphatic stomata in the costal pleura of the rabbitYan Yuan Li
Department of Lymphology, Institute of Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China 310031
Microsc Res Tech 62:240-6. 2003..the ultrastructure and three-dimensional organization of the pleural lymphatic stomata in the adult rabbit costal pleura by electron microscopy...
- AAVrh.10-mediated genetic delivery of bevacizumab to the pleura to provide local anti-VEGF to suppress growth of metastatic lung tumorsM Watanabe
Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
Gene Ther 17:1042-51. 2010..effectively suppresses the growth of metastatic lung tumors, suggesting AAV-mediated gene transfer to the pleura to deliver bevacizumab locally to the lung as a novel alternative platform to conventional monoclonal antibody ..
- Low glucose level and low pH alter the electrochemical function of human parietal pleuraV K Kouritas
Dept of Physiology, University of Thessaly Medical School, 22 Papakiriazi St, 412 22, Larissa, Greece
Eur Respir J 30:354-7. 2007..usually measured in complicated pleural effusions, alter the electrochemical function of healthy human parietal pleura. Parietal pleural pieces were stripped from 66 patients during thoracic surgery and were mounted in Ussing ..
- The relation of the pleural thickening in tuberculosis pleurisy with the activity of adenosine deaminaseB Uskul
Department of Pulmonology, SSK Sureyyapasa Center for Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 63:101-7. 2005....
- Insulin alters the permeability of sheep pleuraV K Kouritas
Department of Physiology, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 118:304-9. 2010..Direct stimulation of sheep pleura by insulin and the possible electrophysiology mechanisms involved were investigated.
- Pleural liquid and its exchangesEmilio Agostoni
Istituto di Fisiologia Umana I, Universita di Milano, Via Mangiagalli 32, 20133, Milano, Italy
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 159:311-23. 2007After an account on morphological features of visceral and parietal pleura, mechanical coupling between lung and chest wall is outlined...
- [Mesothelioma of the pleura in the Province of Trieste]C Bianchi
Centro di Studio e Documentazione sui Tumori Ambientali, Lega Italiana per la Lotta contro i Tumori, Ospedale di Monfalcone, Monfalcone
Med Lav 98:374-80. 2007..The Province of Trieste, north-eastern Italy (population about 240,000), has been identified as an area with a high incidence of pleural mesothelioma...
- Lymphomas involving the pleura: a clinicopathologic study of 34 cases diagnosed by pleural biopsyFrancisco Vega
Department of Hematopathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1497-502. 2006Pleural involvement by lymphoma is relatively common. However, there are very few clinicopathologic studies reported in the literature of lymphomas involving the pleura.
- Malignant mesothelioma of the pleura among seafarersC Bianchi
Center for the Study of Environmental Cancer, Italian League Against Cancer, Monfalcone Hospital, Italy
Med Lav 96:490-5. 2005..A large amount of data indicates that seafarers are at risk for asbestos disease. Objectives: To trace the outlines of pleural mesothelioma among seafarers...
- Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors of the pleura: an analysis of 15 patientsValerio Perna
Hospital Universitario de Bellvitge, Thoracic Surgery Department, Feixa Llarga s n, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona 08907, Spain
Int J Surg 6:298-301. 2008Localized fibrous tumors of the pleura (LFTPs) are rare neoplasms, which are considered to originate from submesothelial connective tissue...
- Spinal afferent neurons projecting to the rat lung and pleura express acid sensitive channelsMichael Groth
Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Giessen Lung Center, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Respir Res 7:96. 2006..Here, we investigated to which extent they are expressed by rat dorsal root ganglion neurons projecting to lung and pleura, respectively.
- Functional arrangement of rat diaphragmatic initial lymphatic networkAnnalisa Grimaldi
Dipartimento di Biologia Strutturale e Funzionale, Universita degli Studi dell Insubria, via J H Dunant 5, 21100 Varese, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H876-85. 2006....
- Targeting colloidal particulates to thoracic lymph nodesJiang Liu
Institute of Medical Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Lung Cancer 51:377-86. 2006..Micro- or nanoparticulates are used as carriers for therapeutic agents. We investigated the lymphatic distribution after intrapleural administration of three different particulates...
- Epigenetic profiles distinguish pleural mesothelioma from normal pleura and predict lung asbestos burden and clinical outcomeBrock C Christensen
Department of Community Health, Center for Environmental Health and Technology, Brown University, 70 Ship Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Cancer Res 69:227-34. 2009..of 1505 CpG loci associated with 803 cancer-related genes were studied in 158 pleural mesotheliomas and 18 normal pleura. After false-discovery rate correction, 969 CpG loci were independently associated with disease status (Q < 0...
- Patterns of recurrence and long-term survival after curative resection of localized fibrous tumors of the pleuraRicardo S Santos
Division of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, PA 15232, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 7:197-201. 2005Localized fibrous tumors of the pleura (LFTPs) are uncommon thoracic neoplasms with variable malignant potential that were previously classified as benign presentation of mesothelioma...
- Resolution of residual pleural disease according to time course in tuberculous pleurisy during and after the termination of antituberculosis medicationDae Hee Han
Departments of Radiology, Seoul National University Boramae Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Korea
Chest 128:3240-5. 2005..To assess the resolution of pleural disease in patients with tuberculous pleurisy (TP) during and after antituberculosis medication...
- Parietal pleura and extrapleural space in chronic tuberculous empyema: CT-pathologic correlationH Y Kim
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Comput Assist Tomogr 25:9-15. 2001PURPOSE: The purpose of this work was to describe CT findings of the parietal pleura and extrapleural space in patients with chronic tuberculous empyema and to compare them with histopathologic findings following decortication...
- Mesothelial lamellar bodies in norm and experimental conditions. Transmission and scanning electron microscopic observations on the peritoneum, pleura and pericardiumK N Michailova
Department of Anatomy and Histology, Preclinical University Center, Faculty of Medicine, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
Anat Embryol (Berl) 208:301-9. 2004..Strip-like profiles, continuous covering and smaller groups of LB with similar morphology and preferable submesothelial position characterize the mesothelium after EP...
- Sonography of lung and pleura in pulmonary embolism: sonomorphologic characterization and comparison with spiral CT scanningA Reissig
Department of Pneumology, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Chest 120:1977-83. 2001..The present study investigates the clinical utility of transthoracic sonography (TS) for the diagnosis of PE and compares the data obtained with the technique to those obtained by spiral CT (sCT) scanning...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex DNA in calcified pleura from remains 1400 years oldH D Donoghue
Department of Bacteriology, University College London, UK
Lett Appl Microbiol 27:265-9. 1998Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex DNA was isolated and identified in calcified pleura from remains 1400 years old, with the polymerase chain reaction...
- Cytologic clue of so-called nodular histiocytic hyperplasia of the pleuraY L Choi
Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Diagn Cytopathol 24:256-9. 2001..Recently, we encountered a case of so-called NHH of the pleura and confused it with various malignant neoplasms on histologic examination...
- Asbestos: when the dust settles an imaging review of asbestos-related diseaseHuw D Roach
Department of Radiology, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW, United Kingdom
Radiographics 22:S167-84. 2002Asbestos-related neoplastic and nonneoplastic diseases of the lungs and pleura range from pleural effusion and pleural plaques to lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma...
- Pleural plaques and exposure to mineral fibres in a male urban necropsy populationA Karjalainen
Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Occup Environ Med 51:456-60. 1994..Due to methodological difficulties in detecting past exposures to chrysotile and such low exposures that may still pose a risk of plaques, the aetiologic fractions calculated in the study probably underestimate the role of asbestos...
- Pleural thickening, trapped lung, and chronic empyema as sequelae of tuberculous pleural effusion: don't sweat the pleural thickeningSteven A Sahn
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:461-4. 2002
- Prediction of residual pleural thickening in tuberculous pleural effusionW W Yew
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 7:199-200. 2003
- The effect of pleural fluid content on the development of pleural thicknessE Kunter
Department of Respiratory Diseases, GATA Camlica Chest Diseases Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:516-22. 2002..Residual pleural thickness (RPT) is a common complication of tuberculous pleurisy (TP), and the degree of RPT cannot be predicted in advance...
- Effects of SNP, ouabain, and amiloride on electrical potential profile of isolated sheep pleuraC H Hatzoglou
General Hospital of Larissa, Medical School, University of Thessaly, 412 22 Larissa, Greece
J Appl Physiol 90:1565-9. 2001..and solute transport properties of pleural tissue were studied by using specimens of intact visceral and parietal pleura from adult sheep lungs...
- Intrapleural injection of transforming growth factor-beta antibody inhibits pleural fibrosis in empyemaCraig R Kunz
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Long Beach Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, 5901 East Seventh St 11 111P, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Chest 126:1636-44. 2004..In this study, our hypothesis is that neutralization of TGF-beta with an intrapleural injection of a monoclonal antibody to TGF-beta will decrease pleural fibrosis in empyema...
- Causes and management of pleural fibrosisJohn T Huggins
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Allergy and Clinical Immunology Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Respirology 9:441-7. 2004..Clinically significant pleural fibrosis requires involvement of the visceral pleura. Isolated parietal pleural fibrosis, as with asbestos pleural plaques, does not cause restriction or respiratory ..
- Early mesothelial cell proliferation after asbestos exposure: in vivo and in vitro studiesI Y Adamson
Department of Pathology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 105:1205-8. 1997..The results show that an early growth phase of MC after asbestos exposure appears unrelated to particle translocation to the pleura but is associated with cytokine release, most likely KGF, by lung cells.
- Asbestos and the pleura: a reviewDavid W Cugell
Feinberg School of Medicine, Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Northwestern University and The Veterans Administration Chicago Health Care System, Lakeside Division, Chicago, IL, USA
Chest 125:1103-17. 2004
- Identification and properties of parietal pleural afferents in rabbitsYves Jammes
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Respiratoire UPRES EA 2201, Faculte de Medecine, Boulevard Pierre Dramard, 13916 Cedex 20, Marseille, France
J Physiol 567:641-50. 2005..pain and dyspnoea are common symptoms in pleural diseases, there are few studies on the sensory innervation of the pleura. Using rabbits, after removal of all muscles in the intercostal space to be studied, we investigated the afferents ..
- The role of analytical SEM in the determination of causation in malignant mesotheliomaVictor L Roggli
Department of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Ultrastruct Pathol 30:31-5. 2006..The main fiber type identified in our series was amphibole, predominantly amosite. These fibers have been demonstrated to reach the target tissue, the pleura.
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery utilizing local anesthesia and sedationMark R Katlic
Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, 1000 East Mountain Drive, Wilkes Barre, PA 18711, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:529-32. 2006..We have broadened our indications for VATS utilizing purely local anesthesia and sedation...
- Assessment and management of patients with pleural effusionsL Allibone
Department of Nursing Development and Quality, Royal Brompton Hospital, London
Nurs Stand 20:55-64; quiz 66. 2006..A pleural effusion is an excessive accumulation of fluid between the layers of the pleura and is a common problem caused by a variety of mechanisms and diseases.
- Computed tomography features in malignant pleural mesothelioma and other commonly seen pleural diseasesMuzaffer Metintas
Department of Chest Diseases, Osmangazi University Medical Faculty, Eskisehir, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 41:1-9. 2002..To investigate the computed tomography (CT) features of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) cases, comparing them to those in other malignant and benign pleural diseases...
- Malignant mesothelioma with osseous differentiationHon Chi Suen
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Memorial Hospital, Belleville, Illinois, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 73:665. 2002
- Pleural ultrasonographyPaul H Mayo
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Clin Chest Med 27:215-27. 2006..This article provides an overview of the field of pleural ultrasonography with an emphasis on clinical applicability and procedure guidance...
- [Current insights in malignant pleural mesothelioma]Martin Bard
Departement de Medecine, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif Cedex
Bull Cancer 89:67-74. 2002..This article tries to summarize current insights concerning epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of MPM. At now, more questions than responses exist concerning the care of this severe prognosis disease...
- [Differential diagnosis of preneoplastic lesions of the pleura and of early mesothelioma: immunohistochemical and morphological findings]M Krismann
Institut für Pathologie an der Augusta Krankenanstalt, Bochum
Pathologe 27:99-105. 2006..A useful immunohistochemical panel for the differential diagnosis consists of anti-cytokeratin, Ck 5/6, calretinin, EMA and MiB-1, whereas the immunohistochemical detection of telomerase is not helpful...
- Diagnostic value of medical thoracoscopy in pleural disease: a 6-year retrospective studyFrancois Xavier Blanc
Service de Pneumologie et de Pathologie Professionnelle, Centre Hospitalier Intercommunal, Creteil, France
Chest 121:1677-83. 2002..In a 6-year retrospective study of patients having undergone at least one medical thoracoscopy, we analyzed the diagnostic yield of thoracoscopy and its value in the management of pleural disease...
- Computed tomography findings in 66 patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma due to environmental exposure to asbestosFethiye Okten
Department of Chest Diseases, Ataturk Chest Diseases and Chest Surgery Education and Research Hospital, 06280 Ankara, Turkey
Clin Imaging 30:177-80. 2006..Pleural effusion (80.3%), pleural thickening (77.2%), volume contraction (37.9%), involvement of mediastinal pleura (31.8%) and interlobar fissure (28.8%) were the most common CT findings of MPM...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) for bilateral primary spontaneous pneumothoraxYi Jen Chen
Department of Medicine, Chia Yi Christian Hospital, 600 Chia Yi, Taiwan, China
J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 9:335-40. 2008..To review our experience of the treatment of bilateral primary spontaneous pneumothorax (PSP) by video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)...
- [Tuberculous pleurisy--still difficult diagnostic problem]M Fijałkowski
Wojwódzki Specjalistyczny Zespół Opieki Zdrowotnej, Centrum Leczenia Chorób Płuc w łodzi
Pol Merkur Lekarski 11:389-93. 2001..During this period in 135 patients with pleural effusion of unknown etiology biopsy of the pleura (with Abrams needle) was performed and specific granuloma was found in 17 (13%) persons...
- Diagnostic value of thoracoscopic pleural biopsy for pleurisy under local anaesthesiaMotoki Sakuraba
Department of Thoracic Surgery, National Hospital Organization, Tokyo Hospital, Japan
ANZ J Surg 76:722-4. 2006..We directly examine the thoracic cavity by thoracoscopy under local anaesthesia, carry out pleural biopsy and make a definitive pathological diagnosis in pleurisy...
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy in childrenRaja M Flores
Thoracic Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:1738-42. 2006Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) is an en bloc resection of the pleura, lung, diaphragm, and pericardium. EPP in the pediatric population has not been reported in the literature...
- Morbidity, mortality, mean survival, and the impact of histology on survival after pleurectomy in 64 patients with malignant pleural mesotheliomaSiyamek Neragi-Miandoab
Department of Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Boston University Medical Center, School of Medicine, One Boston Medical Center Place, Boston MA 02118, USA
Int J Surg 6:293-7. 2008....
- [Pathology of primary tumours of the pleura]K Junker
Zentrum für Pathologie, Klinikum Bremen Mitte, Bremen
Zentralbl Chir 133:222-6. 2008..Besides other rare primary tumours of the pleura, the differential diagnoses of malignant mesotheliomas comprise carcinomatous pleuritis of intra- and ..
- Clinical implications of unexpandable lung due to pleural diseasePeter Doelken
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy, and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Am J Med Sci 335:21-5. 2008..The only available treatment of symptomatic trapped lung is surgical decortication. Surgical decortication should only be considered after other causes of dyspnea have been excluded...
- Intrapleural low-molecular-weight urokinase or tissue plasminogen activator versus single-chain urokinase in tetracycline-induced pleural loculation in rabbitsSteven Idell
Texas Lung Injury Institute, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Tyler, Texas 75708, USA
Exp Lung Res 33:419-40. 2007..The authors conclude that scuPA reverses loculations as effectively as tPA at clinically applied intrapleural doses, whereas low-molecular-weight urokinase was ineffective...
- The alpha folate receptor is highly activated in malignant pleural mesotheliomaR Bueno
Division of Thoracic Surgery and the Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 121:225-33. 2001..METHODS: Differential display analysis was performed with fresh frozen RNA obtained from normal lung, pleura, and mesothelioma. Sixty differentially expressed genes were identified and characterized...
- Targeted liposomal radiotherapy of malignant mesotheliomaJiang He; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since mesothelioma is generally a regional disease within the pleura and peritoneum, aggressive surgery can resect most of solid viable tumor...
- PROTECTIVE ROLE OF APOPTOSIS IN ASBESTOS PLEURAL INJURYV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2001..We propose to investigate the role of apoptosis in the pathology of asbestos to the mesothelial cells and pleura. Initially, Dr...
- TGF-BETA FOR PLEURODESISKirk Lane; Fiscal Year: 2005..This can be done by physical abrasion of the visceral and parietal pleura, by instilling an irritant, or by creating a chemical burn on the pleural surfaces...
- Libby Epidemiology Research ProgramStephen Michael Levin; Fiscal Year: 2010..The CT Progression Study will evaluate whether asbestos-related scarring of the lung parenchyma and/or pleura evident on chest CT scans following only environmental exposure to LA progresses more rapidly than is seen in long-..
- Libby Epidemiology Research ProgramStephen Levin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The CT Progression Study will evaluate whether asbestos-related scarring of the lung parenchyma and/or pleura evident on chest CT scans following only environmental exposure to LA progresses more rapidly than is seen in long-..
- SV40 sequences in human tumors: analysis & biologic*Michele Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2006..We are investigating if SV40 contributes to the development of human mesothelioma, a very aggressive tumor of the pleura whose incidence continues to increase...
- OPTICAL IMAGING OF LUNG CAPILLARIES IN VIVOJahar Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 2007..The specific aims are to quantify for the first time in capillaries at different depths from the pleura, regulation of endothelial (EC) mitochondrial (Ca2+mit) and cytosolic Ca 2+ (Ca2+cyt) (Specific Aim 1), generation ..
- MECHANISMS OF FIBER CARCINOGENESISTOM HEI; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: Asbestos fibers are carcinogenic and induce both lung cancers and mesotheliomas of the pleura and peritoneum in humans. The underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms in fiber carcinogenesis, however, are not clear...
- THE MUTAGENICITY OF MINERAL FIBERSTOM HEI; Fiscal Year: 2006..Although asbestos is carcinogenic and induces both bronchogenic carcinomas and pleura and peritoneal mesotheliomas in humans, the underlying mechanisms of fiber carcinogenesis are not known...
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2009..wall or the mediastinum on CT scans to evaluate the extent of mesothelioma, which presents as a thickening of the pleura. Currently, assessment of mesothelioma severity is based on manual measurements of the pleural thickness made at ..
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2007..wall or the mediastinum on CT scans to evaluate the extent of mesothelioma, which presents as a thickening of the pleura. Currently, assessment of mesothelioma severity is based on manual measurements of the pleural thickness made at ..
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2006..wall or the mediastinum on CT scans to evaluate the extent of mesothelioma, which presents as a thickening of the pleura. Currently, assessment of mesothelioma severity is based on manual measurements of the pleural thickness made at ..
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2007
- SOUTHWEST ONCOLOGY GROUPCraig Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2003..of tumors such as alveolar soft part sarcoma metastatic to lung, retroperitoneal sarcomas and mesothelioma of the pleura, the genetics of hematopoietic growth factors, bone marrow transplantation, and gene therapy. 4...
- Enzymatic Pleurodesis for Malignant Pleural EffusionsLarry Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2005..This is most effectively accomplished by surgical stripping of the parietal pleura, which is followed by adherence of the visceral surface to the inner chest wall during healing...
- Gene Ratio Based Prognosis in MesotheliomaRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2007DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a lethal malignancy of the pleura for which there is little effective therapy and overall survival remains dismal...