Genomes and Genes
Summary: The thin serous membrane enveloping the lungs (LUNG) and lining the THORACIC CAVITY. Pleura consist of two layers, the inner visceral pleura lying next to the pulmonary parenchyma and the outer parietal pleura. Between the two layers is the PLEURAL CAVITY which contains a thin film of liquid.
Publications198 found, 100 shown here
- Pathology of the pleuraJohn C English
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Clin Chest Med 27:157-80. 2006The pleura and lung are intimately associated and share many pathologic conditions. Nevertheless, they represent two separate organs of different embryonic derivation and with different yet often symbiotic functions...
- The pathological response and fate in the lung and pleura of chrysotile in combination with fine particles compared to amosite asbestos following short-term inhalation exposure: interim resultsD M Bernstein
Inhal Toxicol 22:937-62. 2010....
- Asbestos, carbon nanotubes and the pleural mesothelium: a review of the hypothesis regarding the role of long fibre retention in the parietal pleura, inflammation and mesotheliomaKen Donaldson
University of Edinburgh, Centre for Inflammation Research, Queens Medical Research Institute, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH164TJ, UK
Part Fibre Toxicol 7:5. 2010..In the course of studying the potential impact of HARN on the pleura we have utilised the existing hypothesis regarding the role of the parietal pleura in the response to long fibres...
- Inhaled carbon nanotubes reach the subpleural tissue in miceJessica P Ryman-Rasmussen
Department of Environmental and Molecular Toxicology, College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Nat Nanotechnol 4:747-51. 2009..This work suggests that minimizing inhalation of nanotubes during handling is prudent until further long-term assessments are conducted...
- Orally ingested chrysotile asbestos affects rat lungs and pleuraH Canan Hasanoglu
Division of Pulmonary Diseases, Ankara Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Environ Occup Health 63:71-5. 2008The authors designed this study to show the effects of orally ingested asbestos on the lungs and pleura. They designated 3 groups of rats: group A (n = 18) was given 1...
- Pathophysiology of the pleuraMichael A Jantz
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla, USA
Respiration 75:121-33. 2008..We will also review the processes involved in the pathogenesis of pleural fibrosis...
- Yield of sputum induction in the diagnosis of pleural tuberculosisMarcus B Conde
Divisão de Tisiologia e Pneumologia, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:723-5. 2003..6). The yield of sputum cultures obtained by SI is high in patients suspected of having pleural TB even in those cases with no pulmonary parenchymal abnormalities on the chest radiograph...
- Pathogenesis of pleural fibrosisSteven E Mutsaers
Centre for Asthma, Allergy and Respiratory Research, University of Western Australia, Australia
Respirology 9:428-40. 2004....
- Black spots of the parietal pleura: morphology and formal pathogenesisK M Muller
Institute of Pathology, BG Clinics Bergmannsheil, University Clinic, Bochum, Germany
Respiration 69:261-7. 2002..Black spots' seen as flat-to-nodular lesions of the parietal pleura are common findings in former miners. They represent areas of coal dust accumulation...
- Perioperative feasibility of imaging the heart and pleura in patients with aortic stenosis undergoing aortic valve replacementC J Jakobsen
Aarhus University Hospital, Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Skejby, Aarhus, Denmark
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:589-95. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the feasibility of perioperative imaging of the heart and pleura according to the focused assessed transthoracic echocardiography protocol in patients scheduled for aortic valve ..
- Routine use of pleural fluid cultures. Are they indicated? Limited yield, minimal impact on treatment decisionsD Jimenez
Respiratory Department, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Respir Med 100:2048-52. 2006..In conclusion, this study demonstrates that, at least in our institution, routine microbial investigation of pleural fluid adds very little to the standard management of parapneumonic effusions...
- Respiratory dysfunction after coronary artery bypass grafting employing bilateral internal mammary arteries: the influence of intact pleuraM Bonacchi
Cattedra of Cardiac Surgery, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 19:827-33. 2001....
- Benign solitary fibrous tumour of the pleura: a clinical review and report of six casesFulvio Tagliabue
Department of Surgery, A. Manzoni Hospital, Lecco
Chir Ital 57:649-53. 2005Primary tumours of the pleura are commonly divided into two major categories: diffuse and localised...
- Length-dependent retention of carbon nanotubes in the pleural space of mice initiates sustained inflammation and progressive fibrosis on the parietal pleuraFiona A Murphy
University of Edinburgh Medical Research Council, the Centre for Inflammation Research, Queen s Medical Research Institute, Edinburgh, UK
Am J Pathol 178:2587-600. 2011..CNTs and long asbestos was characterized by acute inflammation, leading to progressive fibrosis on the parietal pleura, where stomata of strictly defined size limit the egress of long, but not short, fibers...
- Chrysotile and tremolite asbestos fibres in the lungs and parietal pleura of Corsican goatsP Dumortier
Chest Department, CUB Hopital Erasme, 808 Route de Lennik, B1070 Brussels, Belgium
Occup Environ Med 59:643-6. 2002..Goats grazing in the contaminated areas inhale asbestos fibres. We used this natural animal model to study whether these exposures actually result in increased fibre burdens in the lungs and parietal pleura.
- 'Black Spots' and hyaline pleural plaques on the parietal pleura of 150 urban necropsy casesKrassimir Mitchev
The Chest Department, , , Brussels, Belgium
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1198-206. 2002The absence of any direct connection between the lung and the parietal pleura raises questions about the mechanisms of pleural migration and retention of inhaled particles...
- Telocytes in pleura: two- and three-dimensional imaging by transmission electron microscopyMihail E Hinescu
Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, P O Box 35 29, Bucharest, 35, Romania
Cell Tissue Res 343:389-97. 2011..Our aim has been to examine whether telocytes (TCs) are present in pleura, as in epicardium and mesentery...
- Diagnostic thoracoscopyC Boutin
Department of Pulmonology, Hopital de la Conception, Marseille, France
Clin Chest Med 19:295-309. 1998..This article focuses on the technique, indications, and results of medical thoracoscopy...
- A₃ receptors are overexpressed in pleura from patients with mesothelioma and reduce cell growth via Akt/nuclear factor-κB pathwayKatia Varani
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Pharmacology Unit, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:522-30. 2011..Adenosine plays a key role in inflammatory processes and cancer, where it is involved in the regulation of cell death and proliferation...
- Tight junction proteins contribute to barrier properties in human pleuraAlexander G Markov
Biological and Soil Faculty, St Petersburg State University, St Petersburg, Russia
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 175:331-5. 2011..Information on pleural barrier function in health and disease, however, is scarce. Tissue specimens of human pleura were mounted in Ussing chambers for measurement of transmesothelial resistance...
- Extranodal interdigitating dendritic cell sarcoma presenting in the pleura: a case reportHye Suk Han
Department of Internal Medicine, Chungbuk National University College of Medicine, Cheongju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:304-7. 2011..The authors report a case of extranodal IDCS presenting in the pleura. A 32-yr-old man presented with progressive chest pain...
- Pleural tuberculosis in the United States: incidence and drug resistanceMichael H Baumann
2500 North State St, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216 4505, USA
Chest 131:1125-32. 2007..The diagnostic approach is under debate. Knowledge of pleural TB epidemiology would be beneficial. To help clarify pleural TB epidemiology, we analyzed US national TB surveillance data for 1993 to 2003...
- AAVrh.10-mediated genetic delivery of bevacizumab to the pleura to provide local anti-VEGF to suppress growth of metastatic lung tumorsM Watanabe
Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10065, USA
Gene Ther 17:1042-51. 2010..effectively suppresses the growth of metastatic lung tumors, suggesting AAV-mediated gene transfer to the pleura to deliver bevacizumab locally to the lung as a novel alternative platform to conventional monoclonal antibody ..
- Targeting colloidal particulates to thoracic lymph nodesJiang Liu
Institute of Medical Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Lung Cancer 51:377-86. 2006..space; (2) the lymphatic uptake occurred as early as 3h after injection and is primarily through the parietal pleura; (3) the transport of particles to regional lymph nodes was consistently found in all three animal models; (4) ..
- Pleural thickening, trapped lung, and chronic empyema as sequelae of tuberculous pleural effusion: don't sweat the pleural thickeningSteven A Sahn
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:461-4. 2002
- Transthoracic ultrasound of lung and pleura in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism: a novel non-invasive bedside approachAngelika Reissig
Pneumology and Allergology Division, Department I, Medical University Clinics, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Respiration 70:441-52. 2003..bedside approach which is based on (1) detecting alterations in the lung parenchyma, (2) involvement of the pleura and (3) peripheral perfusion characteristics associated with thromboembolism. Using a 5 MHz or 3...
- Patterns of recurrence and long-term survival after curative resection of localized fibrous tumors of the pleuraRicardo S Santos
Division of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, PA 15232, USA
Clin Lung Cancer 7:197-201. 2005BACKGROUND: Localized fibrous tumors of the pleura (LFTPs) are uncommon thoracic neoplasms with variable malignant potential that were previously classified as benign presentation of mesothelioma...
- Lymphomas involving the pleura: a clinicopathologic study of 34 cases diagnosed by pleural biopsyFrancisco Vega
Department of Hematopathology, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1497-502. 2006..However, there are very few clinicopathologic studies reported in the literature of lymphomas involving the pleura. OBJECTIVE: To characterize the clinicopathologic features of lymphomas involving the pleura...
- Spinal afferent neurons projecting to the rat lung and pleura express acid sensitive channelsMichael Groth
Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Giessen Lung Center, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Respir Res 7:96. 2006..Here, we investigated to which extent they are expressed by rat dorsal root ganglion neurons projecting to lung and pleura, respectively.
- Ultrastructure and three-dimensional study of the lymphatic stomata in the costal pleura of the rabbitYan-Yuan Li
Department of Lymphology, Institute of Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China 310031
Microsc Res Tech 62:240-6. 2003..the ultrastructure and three-dimensional organization of the pleural lymphatic stomata in the adult rabbit costal pleura by electron microscopy...
- Functional arrangement of rat diaphragmatic initial lymphatic networkAnnalisa Grimaldi
Dipartimento di Biologia Strutturale e Funzionale, , Via J.H. Dunant 5, 21100 Varese, Italy
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 291:H876-85. 2006....
- Malignant mesothelioma of the pleura among seafarersC Bianchi
Center for the Study of Environmental Cancer, Italian League Against Cancer, Monfalcone Hospital, Italy
Med Lav 96:490-5. 2005..A large amount of data indicates that seafarers are at risk for asbestos disease. Objectives: To trace the outlines of pleural mesothelioma among seafarers...
- Pleural plaques and exposure to mineral fibres in a male urban necropsy populationA Karjalainen
Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Occup Environ Med 51:456-60. 1994..Due to methodological difficulties in detecting past exposures to chrysotile and such low exposures that may still pose a risk of plaques, the aetiologic fractions calculated in the study probably underestimate the role of asbestos...
- Prediction of residual pleural thickening in tuberculous pleural effusionW W Yew
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 7:199-200. 2003
- Asbestos: when the dust settles an imaging review of asbestos-related diseaseHuw D Roach
Department of Radiology, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW, United Kingdom
Radiographics 22:S167-84. 2002Asbestos-related neoplastic and nonneoplastic diseases of the lungs and pleura range from pleural effusion and pleural plaques to lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma...
- Pleural mechanics and fluid exchangeStephen J Lai-Fook
Center for Biomedical Engineering, Wenner Gren Research Laboratory, Univ of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506 0070, USA
Physiol Rev 84:385-410. 2004..Homeostasis in pleural liquid volume is achieved by an adjustment of the pleural liquid thickness to the filtration rate that is matched by an outflow via lymphatic stomata...
- Resolution of residual pleural disease according to time course in tuberculous pleurisy during and after the termination of antituberculosis medicationDae-Hee Han
Departments of Radiology, Seoul National University Boramae Hospital, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Korea
Chest 128:3240-5. 2005..A loculated PO at initial presentation, but not initial PO size, was a predictor of significant RPO at 24 months...
- Sonography of lung and pleura in pulmonary embolism: sonomorphologic characterization and comparison with spiral CT scanningA Reissig
Department of Pneumology, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Chest 120:1977-83. 2001..The present study investigates the clinical utility of transthoracic sonography (TS) for the diagnosis of PE and compares the data obtained with the technique to those obtained by spiral CT (sCT) scanning...
- Tuberculous effusion: ADA activity correlates with CD4+ cell numbers in the fluid and the pleuraM Gaga
Respiratory Medicine Department, Medical School, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Respiration 72:160-5. 2005..Data on the correlation between ADA and T cells or macrophages in tuberculous effusions are conflicting. Furthermore, no studies have examined a possible correlation between pleural tissue infiltration and ADA...
- Induction of pleural empyema in rats by thoracentesis with intrapleural pressure monitoringLuciano F Schopf
Graduate Program in Medicine: Surgery, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS Brazil
Pediatr Surg Int 20:515-9. 2004..The macroscopic changes, amount of pleural fluid, and anatomopathological aspects of pleura and lungs were recorded, as well as death causes and bacteriological findings of pleural fluid for animals that ..
- Mesothelial lamellar bodies in norm and experimental conditions. Transmission and scanning electron microscopic observations on the peritoneum, pleura and pericardiumK N Michailova
Department of Anatomy and Histology, Preclinical University Center, Faculty of Medicine, Medical University, Sofia, Bulgaria
Anat Embryol (Berl) 208:301-9. 2004..Strip-like profiles, continuous covering and smaller groups of LB with similar morphology and preferable submesothelial position characterize the mesothelium after EP...
- Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors of the pleura: an analysis of 55 patientsG Cardillo
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Azienda Ospedaliera San Camillo Forlanini, Ospedale Carlo Forlanini, Rome, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 70:1808-12. 2000Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors (LFTPs) of the pleura are rare, slow-growing neoplasms thought to originate from submesothelial connective tissue...
- Epigenetic profiles distinguish pleural mesothelioma from normal pleura and predict lung asbestos burden and clinical outcomeBrock C Christensen
Department of Community Health, Center for Environmental Health and Technology, Brown University, 70 Ship Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Cancer Res 69:227-34. 2009..of 1505 CpG loci associated with 803 cancer-related genes were studied in 158 pleural mesotheliomas and 18 normal pleura. After false-discovery rate correction, 969 CpG loci were independently associated with disease status (Q < 0...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex DNA in calcified pleura from remains 1400 years oldH D Donoghue
Department of Bacteriology, University College London, UK
Lett Appl Microbiol 27:265-9. 1998Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex DNA was isolated and identified in calcified pleura from remains 1400 years old, with the polymerase chain reaction...
- Parietal pleura and extrapleural space in chronic tuberculous empyema: CT-pathologic correlationH Y Kim
Department of Radiology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Comput Assist Tomogr 25:9-15. 2001PURPOSE: The purpose of this work was to describe CT findings of the parietal pleura and extrapleural space in patients with chronic tuberculous empyema and to compare them with histopathologic findings following decortication...
- Effects of SNP, ouabain, and amiloride on electrical potential profile of isolated sheep pleuraC H Hatzoglou
General Hospital of Larissa, Medical School, University of Thessaly, 412 22 Larissa, Greece
J Appl Physiol 90:1565-9. 2001..and solute transport properties of pleural tissue were studied by using specimens of intact visceral and parietal pleura from adult sheep lungs...
- Insulin alters the permeability of sheep pleuraV K Kouritas
Department of Physiology, Medical School, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 118:304-9. 2010..Direct stimulation of sheep pleura by insulin and the possible electrophysiology mechanisms involved were investigated.
- Cytologic clue of so-called nodular histiocytic hyperplasia of the pleuraY L Choi
Department of Diagnostic Pathology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Diagn Cytopathol 24:256-9. 2001..Recently, we encountered a case of so-called NHH of the pleura and confused it with various malignant neoplasms on histologic examination...
- The effect of pleural fluid content on the development of pleural thicknessE Kunter
Department of Respiratory Diseases, GATA Camlica Chest Diseases Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 6:516-22. 2002..Residual pleural thickness (RPT) is a common complication of tuberculous pleurisy (TP), and the degree of RPT cannot be predicted in advance...
- The relation of the pleural thickening in tuberculosis pleurisy with the activity of adenosine deaminaseB Uskul
Department of Pulmonology, SSK Sureyyapasa Center for Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 63:101-7. 2005....
- [Mesothelioma of the pleura in the Province of Trieste]C Bianchi
Centro di Studio e Documentazione sui Tumori Ambientali, Lega Italiana per la Lotta contro i Tumori, Ospedale di Monfalcone, Monfalcone
Med Lav 98:374-80. 2007..The Province of Trieste, north-eastern Italy (population about 240,000), has been identified as an area with a high incidence of pleural mesothelioma...
- Pleural liquid and its exchangesEmilio Agostoni
Istituto di Fisiologia Umana I, Universita di Milano, Via Mangiagalli 32, 20133, Milano, Italy
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 159:311-23. 2007After an account on morphological features of visceral and parietal pleura, mechanical coupling between lung and chest wall is outlined...
- Low glucose level and low pH alter the electrochemical function of human parietal pleuraV K Kouritas
Dept of Physiology, University of Thessaly Medical School, 22 Papakiriazi St, 412 22, Larissa, Greece
Eur Respir J 30:354-7. 2007..usually measured in complicated pleural effusions, alter the electrochemical function of healthy human parietal pleura. Parietal pleural pieces were stripped from 66 patients during thoracic surgery and were mounted in Ussing ..
- Localized (solitary) fibrous tumors of the pleura: an analysis of 15 patientsValerio Perna
Hospital Universitario de Bellvitge, Thoracic Surgery Department, Feixa Llarga s n, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona 08907, Spain
Int J Surg 6:298-301. 2008Localized fibrous tumors of the pleura (LFTPs) are rare neoplasms, which are considered to originate from submesothelial connective tissue...
- Identification and properties of parietal pleural afferents in rabbitsYves Jammes
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Respiratoire UPRES EA 2201, Faculte de Medecine, Boulevard Pierre Dramard, 13916 Cedex 20, Marseille, France
J Physiol 567:641-50. 2005..pain and dyspnoea are common symptoms in pleural diseases, there are few studies on the sensory innervation of the pleura. Using rabbits, after removal of all muscles in the intercostal space to be studied, we investigated the afferents ..
- Causes and management of pleural fibrosisJohn T Huggins
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Allergy and Clinical Immunology Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Respirology 9:441-7. 2004..Clinically significant pleural fibrosis requires involvement of the visceral pleura. Isolated parietal pleural fibrosis, as with asbestos pleural plaques, does not cause restriction or respiratory ..
- Asbestos and the pleura: a reviewDavid W Cugell
Feinberg School of Medicine, Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Northwestern University and The Veterans Administration Chicago Health Care System, Lakeside Division, Chicago, IL, USA
Chest 125:1103-17. 2004
- Intrapleural injection of transforming growth factor-beta antibody inhibits pleural fibrosis in empyemaCraig R Kunz
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Long Beach Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, 5901 East Seventh St (11-111P, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Chest 126:1636-44. 2004..Immunohistochemistry revealed localization of TGF-beta to macrophages in the exudative material and the visceral pleura. After injection of the antibody to TGF-beta, the amount of purulent, exudative material in the pleural space of ..
- Fibre distribution in the lungs and pleura of subjects with asbestos related diffuse pleural fibrosisA R Gibbs
Department of Pathology, Llandough Hospital, Penarth
Br J Ind Med 48:762-70. 1991..Samples were taken from the visceral pleura and central and subpleural zones of the lungs for histopathological and mineralogical studies...
- Early mesothelial cell proliferation after asbestos exposure: in vivo and in vitro studiesI Y Adamson
Department of Pathology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Environ Health Perspect 105:1205-8. 1997..The results show that an early growth phase of MC after asbestos exposure appears unrelated to particle translocation to the pleura but is associated with cytokine release, most likely KGF, by lung cells.
- Combined photon and electron three-dimensional conformal versus intensity-modulated radiotherapy with integrated boost for adjuvant treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma after pleuropneumonectomyJerôme Krayenbuehl
Department of Radiation Oncology, Zurich University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:1593-9. 2007..The optimal technique for postoperative radiotherapy (RT) after extrapleural pleuropneumonectomy (EPP) of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) remains debated...
- Intrapleural low-molecular-weight urokinase or tissue plasminogen activator versus single-chain urokinase in tetracycline-induced pleural loculation in rabbitsSteven Idell
Texas Lung Injury Institute, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Tyler, Texas 75708, USA
Exp Lung Res 33:419-40. 2007..The authors conclude that scuPA reverses loculations as effectively as tPA at clinically applied intrapleural doses, whereas low-molecular-weight urokinase was ineffective...
- Clinical characteristics and outcomes of empyema thoracis in 117 patients: a comparative analysis of tuberculous vs. non-tuberculous aetiologiesP Malhotra
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh 160012, India
Respir Med 101:423-30. 2007..We performed a prospective study over a 2-year period with the objective of comparing the clinical characteristics and outcomes of patients with tuberculous vs. non-tuberculous empyema...
- Clinical implications of unexpandable lung due to pleural diseasePeter Doelken
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Allergy, and Sleep Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Am J Med Sci 335:21-5. 2008..The only available treatment of symptomatic trapped lung is surgical decortication. Surgical decortication should only be considered after other causes of dyspnea have been excluded...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) for bilateral primary spontaneous pneumothoraxYi Jen Chen
Department of Medicine, Chia Yi Christian Hospital, 600 Chia Yi, Taiwan, China
J Zhejiang Univ Sci B 9:335-40. 2008..To review our experience of the treatment of bilateral primary spontaneous pneumothorax (PSP) by video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)...
- [Pathology of primary tumours of the pleura]K Junker
Zentrum für Pathologie, Klinikum Bremen Mitte, Bremen
Zentralbl Chir 133:222-6. 2008..Besides other rare primary tumours of the pleura, the differential diagnoses of malignant mesotheliomas comprise carcinomatous pleuritis of intra- and ..
- Morbidity, mortality, mean survival, and the impact of histology on survival after pleurectomy in 64 patients with malignant pleural mesotheliomaSiyamek Neragi-Miandoab
Department of Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Boston University Medical Center, School of Medicine, One Boston Medical Center Place, Boston MA 02118, USA
Int J Surg 6:293-7. 2008....
- [Mesothelioma and pleural adenosine deaminase]V Villena Garrido
Arch Bronconeumol 41:175; author reply 175. 2005
- Predictors of pleural malignancy in patients with pleural effusion undergoing thoracoscopyJaume Ferrer
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autònoma de Sant Pau i Santa Creu, 119129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Chest 127:1017-22. 2005..The application of predictive criteria of malignancy might improve the indication of thoracoscopy in patients with undiagnosed pleural effusion...
- [Mesothelioma in academics. German Bochum mesothelioma register]K M Muller
Institut fur Pathologie, Berufsgenossenschaftliche Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhruniversität Bochum, Bochum
Chirurg . 2008
- [Malignant mesothelioma of the pleura among women]C Bianchi
Centro di Studio e Documentazione sui Tumori Ambientali, Lega Italiana per la Lotta contro i Tumori, Ospedale di Monfalcone, Monfalcone
Med Lav 95:376-80. 2004..The epidemiological features of mesothelioma among women differ from those observed among men...
- Use of imaging in the management of malignant pleural mesotheliomaR E Benamore
Department of Radiology, University Hospitals of Leicester, UK
Clin Radiol 60:1237-47. 2005..Percutaneous biopsy is a promising technique for sampling the pleura. In view of its pattern of growth, MPM is a challenging disease to image by any method, and it behaves quite ..
- Claudin 4 identifies a wide spectrum of epithelial neoplasms and represents a very useful marker for carcinoma versus mesothelioma diagnosis in pleural and peritoneal biopsies and effusionsFabio Facchetti
Department of Pathology I, University of Brescia, Spedali Civili Brescia, Piazzale Spedali Civili 1, Brescia, 25124, Italy
Virchows Arch 451:669-80. 2007..CL-4 may be considered a primary immunohistochemical reagent to rule out the diagnosis of mesothelioma...
- [A comparative evaluation of immunohistochemical markers for the differential diagnosis between malignant mesothelioma, non-small cell carcinoma involving the pleura, and benign reactive mesothelial cell proliferation]Ewa Szczepulska-Wójcik
Zakład Patomorfologii Instytutu Gruźlicy i Chorób Płuc w Warszawie
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 75:57-69. 2007Histopathological diagnosis of malignant mesothelioma (MM) and differentiating it from tumors infiltrating the pleura is very difficult. Distinguishing benign reactive mesothelial cell proliferation from MM also presents problems...
- Pleural ultrasonographyPaul H Mayo
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Clin Chest Med 27:215-27. 2006..This article provides an overview of the field of pleural ultrasonography with an emphasis on clinical applicability and procedure guidance...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery utilizing local anesthesia and sedationMark R Katlic
Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center, 1000 East Mountain Drive, Wilkes Barre, PA 18711, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:529-32. 2006..We have broadened our indications for VATS utilizing purely local anesthesia and sedation...
- Computed tomography findings in 66 patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma due to environmental exposure to asbestosFethiye Okten
Department of Chest Diseases, , 06280 Ankara, Turkey
Clin Imaging 30:177-80. 2006..Pleural effusion (80.3%), pleural thickening (77.2%), volume contraction (37.9%), involvement of mediastinal pleura (31.8%) and interlobar fissure (28.8%) were the most common CT findings of MPM...
- Diagnostic value of thoracoscopic pleural biopsy for pleurisy under local anaesthesiaMotoki Sakuraba
Department of Thoracic Surgery, National Hospital Organization, Tokyo Hospital, Japan
ANZ J Surg 76:722-4. 2006..We directly examine the thoracic cavity by thoracoscopy under local anaesthesia, carry out pleural biopsy and make a definitive pathological diagnosis in pleurisy...
- The role of analytical SEM in the determination of causation in malignant mesotheliomaVictor L Roggli
Department of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Ultrastruct Pathol 30:31-5. 2006..The main fiber type identified in our series was amphibole, predominantly amosite. These fibers have been demonstrated to reach the target tissue, the pleura.
- Assessment and management of patients with pleural effusionsL Allibone
Department of Nursing Development and Quality, Royal Brompton Hospital, London
Nurs Stand 20:55-64; quiz 66. 2006..A pleural effusion is an excessive accumulation of fluid between the layers of the pleura and is a common problem caused by a variety of mechanisms and diseases.
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy in childrenRaja M Flores
Thoracic Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:1738-42. 2006Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) is an en bloc resection of the pleura, lung, diaphragm, and pericardium. EPP in the pediatric population has not been reported in the literature...
- Distinguishing benign mesothelial hyperplasia from neoplasia: a practical approachRichard L Kradin
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Semin Diagn Pathol 23:4-14. 2006..Practical guidelines are offered that should reduce the risk of diagnostic error in this problematic area of surgical pathology...
- [Video-assisted diagnostic thoracoscopy]T Bergmann
Klinik für Thoraxchirurgie, Dr Horst Schmidt Kliniken, Ludwig Erhardt Str 100, 65199 Wiesbaden
Chirurg 77:998-1006. 2006Modern radiologic diagnostics show a variety of pathological changes in the mediastinum, pleura, and lung but no evidence on their histogenesis...
- [Pulmonary and pleural manifestations of multiple myeloma]M Schelle
, , , Dessau
Pneumologie 60:743-8. 2006..Histology and immunohistochemistry confirmed diffuse infiltration of the lungs as well as the pleura by dysmature plasma cells with deposition of lambda-light chains...
- The autoclavable semirigid thoracoscope: the way forward in pleural disease?M Munavvar
Dept of Respiratory Medicine, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Royal Preston Hospital, Fulwood, Preston PR2 9HT, UK
Eur Respir J 29:571-4. 2007..It is also compatible with existing video processors and light sources available in most endoscopy suites. The fact that this instrument is autoclavable should open the field for its use in the UK as well as in other countries...
- Pleural sarcomatoid malignant mesothelioma consisting of histiocytoid cellsKunimitsu Kawahara
Pathol Int 57:229-31. 2007
- [Differential diagnosis of preneoplastic lesions of the pleura and of early mesothelioma: immunohistochemical and morphological findings]M Krismann
Institut für Pathologie an der Augusta Krankenanstalt, Bochum
Pathologe 27:99-105. 2006..A useful immunohistochemical panel for the differential diagnosis consists of anti-cytokeratin, Ck 5/6, calretinin, EMA and MiB-1, whereas the immunohistochemical detection of telomerase is not helpful...
- Pleuroperitoneal shunts and tumor seedingI Baeyens
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter EX2 5 DW, United Kingdom
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 121:813. 2001A 76-year-old man with malignant mesothelioma of the left pleura was referred for surgical palliation. He was dyspneic at rest and had anterior chest pain and a persistent cough...
- Prognostic features of residual pleural thickening in parapneumonic pleural effusionsD Jimenez Castro
Respiratory Dept, Zarzuela Clinic, Madrid, Spain
Eur Respir J 21:952-5. 2003..There are certain risk factors for the development of residual pleural thickening. However, this complication was not associated with long-term functional repercussions in the series of patients involved in this study...
- An uncommon clinical presentation of asbestos-related diseaseChris Walls
Manakau Branch, Department of Labour, South, Auckland, New Zealand
N Z Med J 116:U385. 2003
- Immunological mechanisms in pleural diseaseV B Antony
Indiana University School of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, RL Roudebush VA Medical Center, 1481 West 10th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Eur Respir J 21:539-44. 2003..The pleura, because of its intimate proximity to the lung, is positioned to respond to inflammatory changes in the lung ..
- [Malign pleuramesothelioma: manifestation one year after pneumothorax and partial parietal pleurectomy]G P Glattki
Ruhrlandklinik, Abt. Pneumologie - Allergologie, Essen
Pneumologie 57:83. 2003
- [Role of thoracoscopy in the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer and pleural diseases]Dainius Piscikas
Institute of Oncology, Vilnius University, Santariskiu 1, 2600 Vilnius, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 38:50-2. 2002..One hundred thirty eight diagnostic procedures were performed in pts with various lung and pleura diseases: 66 (48%) biopsies of lungs tissue and 72 (52%) biopsies with chemopleurodesis...
- Malignant mesothelioma with osseous differentiationHon Chi Suen
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Memorial Hospital, Belleville, Illinois, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 73:665. 2002
- [Thoracocentesis for the assessment of lung cancer with pleural effusion]E Martín Díaz
Servicio de Cirugía Torácica Hospital General Universitario de Valencia Spain
Arch Bronconeumol 38:479-84. 2002..To analyze the pleural and mediastinal effect of thoracentesis tumor-positive cytology in pleural effusions (PE) detected by chest X ray of lung cancer patients...
- [Pulmonary and pleural metastasis of a malignant granular cell tumor]R Stiegler-Giec
Robert Koch Klinik, Städtisches Klinikum St Georg, Leipzig
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:923-6. 2002..The X-ray and CT-scan of the chest showed a few spotty shadows and pleura effusion on the left. No tumor cells were detected in the pleural effusion...
- Diagnostic value of medical thoracoscopy in pleural disease: a 6-year retrospective studyFrancois Xavier Blanc
Service de Pneumologie et de Pathologie Professionnelle, Centre Hospitalier Intercommunal, Creteil, France
Chest 121:1677-83. 2002..In a 6-year retrospective study of patients having undergone at least one medical thoracoscopy, we analyzed the diagnostic yield of thoracoscopy and its value in the management of pleural disease...
- Evaluation of pleural disease using MR and CT. With special reference to malignant pleural mesotheliomaA Knuuttila
Department of Medicine, Division of Respiratory Disease, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Acta Radiol 42:502-7. 2001..Focal thickening and enhancement of interlobar fissures were early abnormalities indicating malignant pleural disease. MR could be clinically useful for differentiating mesothelioma from other pleural diseases...
- The alpha folate receptor is highly activated in malignant pleural mesotheliomaR Bueno
Division of Thoracic Surgery and the Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 121:225-33. 2001..METHODS: Differential display analysis was performed with fresh frozen RNA obtained from normal lung, pleura, and mesothelioma. Sixty differentially expressed genes were identified and characterized...
- [Tuberculous pleurisy--still difficult diagnostic problem]M Fijałkowski
Wojwódzki Specjalistyczny Zespół Opieki Zdrowotnej, Centrum Leczenia Chorób Płuc w łodzi
Pol Merkur Lekarski 11:389-93. 2001..During this period in 135 patients with pleural effusion of unknown etiology biopsy of the pleura (with Abrams needle) was performed and specific granuloma was found in 17 (13%) persons...
- [Current insights in malignant pleural mesothelioma]Martin Bard
, Institut Gustave-Roussy, 39, rue Camille-Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif Cedex
Bull Cancer 89:67-74. 2002..This article tries to summarize current insights concerning epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of MPM. At now, more questions than responses exist concerning the care of this severe prognosis disease...
- Targeted liposomal radiotherapy of malignant mesotheliomaJiang He; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since mesothelioma is generally a regional disease within the pleura and peritoneum, aggressive surgery can resect most of solid viable tumor...
- PROTECTIVE ROLE OF APOPTOSIS IN ASBESTOS PLEURAL INJURYV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2001..We propose to investigate the role of apoptosis in the pathology of asbestos to the mesothelial cells and pleura. Initially, Dr...
- TGF-BETA FOR PLEURODESISKirk Lane; Fiscal Year: 2005..This can be done by physical abrasion of the visceral and parietal pleura, by instilling an irritant, or by creating a chemical burn on the pleural surfaces...
- Libby Epidemiology Research ProgramStephen Michael Levin; Fiscal Year: 2010..The CT Progression Study will evaluate whether asbestos-related scarring of the lung parenchyma and/or pleura evident on chest CT scans following only environmental exposure to LA progresses more rapidly than is seen in long-..
- Libby Epidemiology Research ProgramStephen Levin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The CT Progression Study will evaluate whether asbestos-related scarring of the lung parenchyma and/or pleura evident on chest CT scans following only environmental exposure to LA progresses more rapidly than is seen in long-..
- SV40 sequences in human tumors: analysis & biologic*Michele Carbone; Fiscal Year: 2006..We are investigating if SV40 contributes to the development of human mesothelioma, a very aggressive tumor of the pleura whose incidence continues to increase...
- OPTICAL IMAGING OF LUNG CAPILLARIES IN VIVOJahar Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 2007..The specific aims are to quantify for the first time in capillaries at different depths from the pleura, regulation of endothelial (EC) mitochondrial (Ca2+mit) and cytosolic Ca 2+ (Ca2+cyt) (Specific Aim 1), generation ..
- MECHANISMS OF FIBER CARCINOGENESISTOM HEI; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION: Asbestos fibers are carcinogenic and induce both lung cancers and mesotheliomas of the pleura and peritoneum in humans. The underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms in fiber carcinogenesis, however, are not clear...
- THE MUTAGENICITY OF MINERAL FIBERSTOM HEI; Fiscal Year: 2006..Although asbestos is carcinogenic and induces both bronchogenic carcinomas and pleura and peritoneal mesotheliomas in humans, the underlying mechanisms of fiber carcinogenesis are not known...
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2009..wall or the mediastinum on CT scans to evaluate the extent of mesothelioma, which presents as a thickening of the pleura. Currently, assessment of mesothelioma severity is based on manual measurements of the pleural thickness made at ..
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2007..wall or the mediastinum on CT scans to evaluate the extent of mesothelioma, which presents as a thickening of the pleura. Currently, assessment of mesothelioma severity is based on manual measurements of the pleural thickness made at ..
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2006..wall or the mediastinum on CT scans to evaluate the extent of mesothelioma, which presents as a thickening of the pleura. Currently, assessment of mesothelioma severity is based on manual measurements of the pleural thickness made at ..
- Computerized Analysis of Mesothelioma on CT ScansSamuel Armato; Fiscal Year: 2007
- SOUTHWEST ONCOLOGY GROUPCraig Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2003..of tumors such as alveolar soft part sarcoma metastatic to lung, retroperitoneal sarcomas and mesothelioma of the pleura, the genetics of hematopoietic growth factors, bone marrow transplantation, and gene therapy. 4...
- Enzymatic Pleurodesis for Malignant Pleural EffusionsLarry Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2005..This is most effectively accomplished by surgical stripping of the parietal pleura, which is followed by adherence of the visceral surface to the inner chest wall during healing...
- Gene Ratio Based Prognosis in MesotheliomaRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2007DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant) Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a lethal malignancy of the pleura for which there is little effective therapy and overall survival remains dismal...