- Idiopathic hypertrophic pachymeningitis
M J Kupersmith
Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery at Beth Israel Medical Center, New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Neurology 62:686-94. 2004
Hypertrophic pachymeningitis is an uncommon disorder that causes a localized or diffuse thickening of the dura mater and has been associated with rheumatoid arthritis, syphilis, Wegener's granulomatosis, tuberculosis, and cancer...
- Axon diameters and intradural trajectories of the dural innervation in the rat
Andrew M Strassman
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Comp Neurol 473:364-76. 2004
..e., > 5 microm)...
- Distribution and phenotype of dendritic cells and resident tissue macrophages in the dura mater, leptomeninges, and choroid plexus of the rat brain as demonstrated in wholemount preparations
P G McMenamin
Department of Anatomy and Human Biology, University of Western Australia, Nedlands
J Comp Neurol 405:553-62. 1999
..These sites included the dura mater, leptomeninges, and the choroid plexus...
- Delayed inflammation in rat meninges: implications for migraine pathophysiology
Stroke and Neurovascular Regulation Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, Massachusetts 02129, USA
Brain 124:2490-502. 2001
..We found dose-dependent Type II NOS [inducible NOS (iNOS)] mRNA upregulation in dura mater beginning at 2 h and an increase in the corresponding protein expression at 4, 6 and 10 h after infusion...
- Medical treatment of craniosynostosis: recombinant Noggin inhibits coronal suture closure in the rat craniosynostosis model
Center for Genomic Sciences, Allegheny Singer Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Orthod Craniofac Res 12:254-62. 2009
..Topical application of rhNoggin protein prevents craniosynostosis in the weanling nude rat xenotransplantation model of syndromic craniosynostosis...
- Craniotomy for supratentorial brain tumors: risk factors for brain swelling after opening the dura mater
Department of Neuroanesthesia, Arhus University Hospital, Arhus, Denmark
J Neurosurg 101:621-6. 2004
..As a secondary aim the authors attempted to define subdural ICP thresholds associated with brain swelling...
- Use of postmortem human dura mater and scalp for deriving human fibroblast cultures
Lindsay A Bliss
Section on Neuropathology, Clinical Brain Disorders Branch, Division of Intramural Research Programs, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e45282. 2012
..Here we present data on fibroblast cell cultures generated from 146 scalp and/or 53 dura mater samples from 146 postmortem human brain donors...
- Prognosis of cerebral vein and dural sinus thrombosis: results of the International Study on Cerebral Vein and Dural Sinus Thrombosis (ISCVT)
Jose M Ferro
Department of Neurology, Hospital Santa Maria, Lisboa, Portugal
Stroke 35:664-70. 2004
..The natural history and long-term prognosis of cerebral vein and dural sinus thrombosis (CVT) have not been examined previously by adequately powered prospective studies...
- Dural afferents express acid-sensing ion channels: a role for decreased meningeal pH in migraine headache
University of Arizona School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Pain 152:106-13. 2011
..These data provide a cellular mechanism by which decreased pH in the meninges following ischemic or inflammatory events directly excites afferent pain-sensing neurons potentially contributing to migraine headache...
- MR evaluation of dural ectasia in Marfan syndrome: reassessment of the established criteria in children, adolescents, and young adults
Christian R Habermann
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Radiology 234:535-41. 2005
..To retrospectively evaluate known criteria for assessment of dural ectasia by using magnetic resonance (MR) imaging in children, adolescents, and young adults with and those without Marfan syndrome...
- Capsaicin-sensitive neurogenic sensory vasodilatation in the dura mater of the rat
Department of Physiology, University of Szeged, Dom ter 10, H 6720 Szeged, Hungary
J Physiol 552:859-67. 2003
The neurogenic sensory vascular responses of the dura mater encephali are considered to contribute significantly to the mechanisms of meningeal nociception and headache...
- Connection between the spinal dura mater and suboccipital musculature: evidence for the myodural bridge and a route for its dissection--a review
Department of Biomedical Sciences, West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Lewisburg, West Virginia 24901, USA
Clin Anat 25:415-22. 2012
A connective tissue link between the spinal dura mater and the rectus capitis posterior minor muscle was first described in 1995 and has since been readily demonstrated via dissection, magnetic resonance imaging, and plastinated cross-..
- Tissue interactions between craniosynostotic dura mater and bone
Gregory M Cooper
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, USA
J Craniofac Surg 23:919-24. 2012
Cells within the dura mater have been implicated in the determination of suture patency and fusion...
- Cellular dynamics and tissue interactions of the dura mater during head development
Jeffrey R Gagan
Center for Immunity, Inflammation and Regenerative Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 81:297-304. 2007
During development and growth of the neurocranium, the dura mater regulates events in the underlying brain and overlying skull by the release of soluble factors and cellular activity...
- Dissecting the influence of regional dura mater on cranial suture biology
Bethany J Slater
Children s Surgical Research Laboratory, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 122:77-84. 2008
..Previous studies have shown the influence of dura mater on the overlying cranial suture...
- Intradural lumbar disc herniations: the role of MRI in preoperative diagnosis and review of the literature
Department of Neurological Sciences, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Neurosurg Rev 27:75-80; discussion 81-2. 2004
..The three patients previously operated (1, 2, 7) showed good outcome. Presently, we believe that radiologic diagnosis of intradural herniation is possible in carefully selected patients, thanks to MRI with gadolinium...
- Distribution and origin of TRPV1 receptor-containing nerve fibers in the dura mater of rat
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Tokyo, 160 8582, Japan
Brain Res 1173:84-91. 2007
We examined the distribution and origin of the nerve fibers innervating the dura mater of the rat that show immunoreactivity for the TRPV1 receptor (TRPV1-IR)...
- The 'headache tree' via umbellulone and TRPA1 activates the trigeminovascular system
Department of Preclinical and Clinical Pharmacology and Headache Centre, University of Florence, Viale Pieraccini 6, 50139 Florence, Italy
Brain 135:376-90. 2012
..a calcium-dependent release of calcitonin gene-related peptide from rodent trigeminal nerve terminals in the dura mater. In wild-type mice, umbellulone elicited excitation of trigeminal neurons and released calcitonin gene-related ..
- Dura mater graft-associated Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Japan: clinicopathological and molecular characterization of the two distinct subtypes
Department of Neurology and Neurobiology of Aging, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
Neuropathology 29:609-18. 2009
Up to February 2008, a total of 132 patients with dura mater graft-associated Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (dCJD) have been identified in Japan, accounting for a majority of the world's patients with dCJD...
- Repair of the dura mater with processed collagen devices
Vasilios A Zerris
Department of Neurosurgery, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington Street, Box 178, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 83:580-8. 2007
..We evaluated in a canine duraplasty model how specific differences in device physicomechanical properties, porosity, and crosslinking influenced the biological performance of three processed collagen dural substitutes...
- Entrapped spinal nerve roots in a pseudomeningocoele as a complication of previous spinal surgery
Department of Neurosurgery, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:215-9; discussion 219-20. 2006
..The cause of her pain was evident only at operation and was due to herniation of nerve roots through the dural defect...
- Herniation and entrapment of a nerve root secondary to an unrepaired small dural laceration at lumbar hemilaminectomies
Department of Neurosurgery, National Cardio Vascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2576-9. 1995
..Even a small tear in the spinal dura requires surgical closure to prevent herniation and entrapment of a nerve root. It is necessary to repair even small dural lacerations with no spinal fluid leakage during spinal surgery...
- Interaction of calcitonin gene-related peptide, nitric oxide and histamine release in neurogenic blood flow and afferent activation in the rat cranial dura mater
Institute of Physiology and Pathophysiology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
Cephalalgia 27:481-91. 2007
..NO) and histamine are implicated in primary headaches but their role in vascular and nociceptive events in the dura mater is not well described...
- The role of fibroblast growth factor-2 in healing the dura mater after inducing cerebrospinal fluid leakage in rats
Department of Neurosurgery, Ergani State Hospital, Ergani, Diyarbakir, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 16:542-4. 2009
..the effectiveness of topically applied recombinant mouse fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) in healing the dura mater in a rat with dura mater injury and cerebrospinal fluid leakage...
- Performance of a new quantitative method for assessing dural ectasia in patients with FBN1 mutations and clinical features of Marfan syndrome
Institute of Human Genetics, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625, Hannover, Germany
Neuroradiology 51:397-400. 2009
..This study presents a comparison of established methods for measuring dural ectasia with a new quantitative method of assessing this clinical feature...
- Anatomic relation between the nuchal ligament (ligamentum nuchae) and the spinal dura mater in the craniocervical region
N A Dean
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Clin Anat 15:182-5. 2002
..Knowledge of the exact attachments of the dura may contribute to understanding the biomechanics of the cervical spine and of the possible etiology of some types of cervicogenic headaches...
- The effects of OB-induced depression on nociceptive behaviors induced by electrical stimulation of the dura mater surrounding the superior sagittal sinus
Department of Neurology, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, PR China
Brain Res 1424:9-19. 2011
..The nociception was induced by electrical stimulation of the dura mater surrounding the superior sagittal sinus (SSS); this procedure causes nociception similar to that experienced ..
- Evidence that the compound action potential (CAP) from the auditory nerve is a stationary potential generated across dura mater
Daniel J Brown
The Brain and Mind Research Institute, Sydney Medical School, The University of Sydney, 100 Mallett Street, Camperdown 2050, Australia
Hear Res 267:12-26. 2010
..nucleus, or from the scalp are a far-field or stationary potential, generated when the circulating action currents associated with each auditory neurone encounters a high extracellular resistance as it passes through the dura mater.
- The effects of the TRPV1 receptor antagonist SB-705498 on trigeminovascular sensitisation and neurotransmission
G A Lambert
Institute of Neurological Sciences, University of New South Wales and Prince of Wales Hospital, Randwick, Sydney 2031, Australia
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 380:311-25. 2009
..v.) injection. Electrical and mechanical stimulation of the dura mater and the facial skin activated second-order neurons in the trigeminal nucleus caudalis of cats, with A-delta ..
- Human mammaglobin transcript amplification for differential diagnosis in a breast cancer metastatic to dura mater
Anatomia e Citoistologia Patologica, National Cancer Institute IST, L go R Benzi, 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Anticancer Res 31:1061-4. 2011
..This study investigated the employment of reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) for the human mammaglobin (hMAM) gene in a case of BC with cerebral metastases in which the involvement of the leptomeninges was in doubt...
- Dopaminergic receptors in rat dura mater: pharmacological characteristics
Department of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Sciences, University La Sapienza and Operative Unit of Neurology, S Spirito Hospital, Rome, Italy
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 31:190-4. 2004
1. The location and distribution of dopaminergic receptors in rat dura mater was studied by examining several dural zones (vascular, perivascular, intervascular) in different cranial and spinal regions. 2...
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertrophic pachymeningitis: two case reports and review of the literature
Department of Neurological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine II, La Sapienza University, S Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
Neurosurg Rev 27:199-204. 2004
..hypertrophic pachymeningitis (IIHP) as an aseptic, diffuse inflammatory disease that causes thickening of the dura mater and often headache and progressive multiple nerve palsies due to fibrous entrapment or ischemic damage of ..
- Intracranial physiological calcifications in adults on computed tomography in Tabriz, Iran
M H Daghighi
Department of Radiology, Imam Khomeini Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 66:115-9. 2007
..These statistics can be used for comparing physiological and pathological intracranial calcifications. Moreover, these statistics may be of interest from the clinical perspective and are potentially of clinical use...
- Importance of dural ectasia in phenotypic assessment of Marfan's syndrome
Institute of Radiology, University Hospital S Orsola, Bologna, Italy
Lancet 354:910-3. 1999
..Dural ectasia has been classified as a major diagnostic criterion; however, its prevalence is not known. We aimed to identify the true prevalence of dural ectasia in Marfan's syndrome, and to investigate its relation to aortic pathology...
- Quantitative assessment of dural ectasia as a marker for Marfan syndrome
Department of Cardiology, Academic Medical Center, Rm B2-240, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Radiology 220:514-8. 2001
..CONCLUSION: Abnormal DSR values at L3 or S1 can be used to identify Marfan syndrome with 95% sensitivity and 98% specificity...
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease with florid plaques after cadaveric dura mater graft
Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Neuropathology 23:136-40. 2003
A patient with dura-associated Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (D-CJD) which occurred about 15 years after a dura mater graft is reported in the present study. The prion protein gene analysis disclosed no mutation...
- Dura mater-derived FGF-2 mediates mitogenic signaling in calvarial osteoblasts
Children s Surgical Research Program, Department of Surgery Stanford University, School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5148, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C1834-42. 2007
Although dura mater tissue is believed to have an important role in calvarial reossification in many in vivo studies, few studies have shown the direct effect of dura mater cells on osteoblasts...
- Insight into the frequent occurrence of dura mater graft-associated Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Japan
Department of Neurology and Neurobiology of Aging, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 84:1171-5. 2013
More than 60% of patients worldwide with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) associated with dura mater graft (dCJD) have been diagnosed in Japan...
- Dura mater biology: autocrine and paracrine effects of fibroblast growth factor 2
Jason A Spector
Department of Surgery, New York University School of Medicine, NY, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:645-54. 2002
The dura mater, the outermost layer of the meninges, is thought to be essential for calvarial morphogenesis, postnatal suture fusion, and osseous repair of calvarial defects...
- Dura mater graft-associated Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: the first case in Korea
Hye Lim Kim
Department of Neurology, Hallym University College of Medicine, Hallym University, Anyang, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:1515-7. 2011
Since 1987, dura mater graft-associated iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (dCJD) has been reported in many countries. We report the first case of dCJD in Korea...
- Glyceryl trinitrate treatment up-regulates soluble guanylyl cyclase in rat dura mater
, , Martinistrasse 52, D-20251 Hamburg, Germany
Neuroreport 12:3993-6. 2001
Nitric oxide (NO) is a key molecule in vascular headaches and the dura mater has been implicated as a tissue where vascular headache develops...
- Acute subdural hematoma due to arteriovenous malformation primarily in dura mater: a case report
Department of Legal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama shi 930 0194, Japan
Leg Med (Tokyo) 6:256-60. 2004
..The value of ethanol concentration examined in the samples from SDH supported that the lesion could be not chronic, but acute...
- [Osteoma originating in the dura: a case report]
Department of Neurosurgery, Kokura Memorial Hospital, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 29:993-6. 2001
..Osteomas are common benign bone tumors that usually arise from long bones of the extremities. Intracranial osteomas are extremely rare lesions. The literature on intracranial osteoma of dural origin is reviewed...
- Electrophysiological properties of dural afferents in the absence and presence of inflammatory mediators
Andrea M Harriott
Department of Neural and Pain Sciences and Medical Sciences Training Program, University of Maryland at Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Neurophysiol 101:3126-34. 2009
- Juvenile amyotrophy of the distal upper extremity: pathologic findings of the dura mater and surgical management
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:486-92. 1997
..Abnormal dura appeared to be the cause of juvenile amyotrophy of the distal upper extremity. Duraplasty with spinal fusion are proposed as treatments...
- Poisson's ratio and strain rate dependency of the constitutive behavior of spinal dura mater
School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK
Ann Biomed Eng 38:975-83. 2010
Knowledge of the mechanical behavior of spinal dura mater is important for a number of applications including the experimental and computational modeling of physiological phenomena and spinal cord trauma...
- Dural ectasia in Marfan syndrome: a case control study
Department of Radiology, Rikshospitalet, Sognsvannsveien 20, Oslo, Norway
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 30:1534-40. 2009
..Dural ectasia (DE) is one of the major criteria of Marfan syndrome (MFS). Our aim was to establish the prevalence of DE in an adult population fulfilling the Ghent criteria for MFS and to assess definitions of DE...
- Investigation of connective tissue attachments to the cervical spinal dura mater
B K Humphreys
Anglo European College of Chiropractic, Bournemouth, England
Clin Anat 16:152-9. 2003
The connective tissue attachments to the cervical spinal dura mater originating from the ligamentum nuchae (LN) and rectus capitis posterior minor (RCPM) muscle were evaluated in 30 cadaveric spines...
- Dura mater stimulates human adipose-derived stromal cells to undergo bone formation in mouse calvarial defects
Hagey Laboratory for Pediatric Regenerative Medicine, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Division, Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5148, USA
Stem Cells 29:1241-55. 2011
..In this study, we postulated that the cell-cell interaction between engrafted ASCs and host dura mater (DM) cells is critical for the healing of calvarial defects...
- A transparent artificial dura mater made of silk fibroin as an inhibitor of inflammation in craniotomized rats
Dae Won Kim
Department of Biomedical Science and Research Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology, Hallym University, Chuncheon, Korea
J Neurosurg 114:485-90. 2011
To improve the safety of dura repair in neurosurgical procedures, a new dural material derived from silk fibroin was evaluated in a rat model with a dura mater injury.
- Anatomical connection between the rectus capitis posterior major and the dura mater
School of Medicine, St George s University, Grenada, West Indies
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:E1612-4. 2011
..Anatomic study performed on 13 cadaveric specimens focused on muscles of the suboccipital triangle, specifically, the rectus capitis posterior major (RCPma)...
- A proposed etiology of cervicogenic headache: the neurophysiologic basis and anatomic relationship between the dura mater and the rectus posterior capitis minor muscle
M E Alix
Logan College of Chiropractic, Chesterfield, Missouri, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 22:534-9. 1999
To examine the neurophysiologic basis and anatomic relationship between the dura mater and the rectus capitis posterior minor muscle in the etiologic proposition of cervicogenic headache.
- Expression of extracellular matrix-proteins in perisellar connective tissue and dura mater
Ulrich J Knappe
Department of Neurosurgery, Johannes Wesling Klinikum, Hans Nolte Str 1, 32429 Minden, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 152:345-53; discussion 353. 2010
..To describe the pattern of expression of extracellular matrix (ECM) proteins in perisellar connective tissue...
- Mathematical model for the viscoelastic properties of dura mater
Ruth K Wilcox
School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Orthop Sci 8:432-4. 2003
- Clinicopathologic characteristics of five autopsied cases of dura mater-associated Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
Department of Neurology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Japan
Neuropathology 28:51-61. 2008
We present five cases of dura mater-associated Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (dura-CJD) that were analyzed clinicopathologically and review previous reports. The average age at dura mater transplantation was 54.4 +/- 7...
- Vanilloid type 1 receptors (VR1) on trigeminal sensory nerve fibres play a minor role in neurogenic dural vasodilatation, and are involved in capsaicin-induced dural dilation
Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London WCIN 3BG
Br J Pharmacol 140:718-24. 2003
..Electrical stimulation of the dura mater produced a robust vasodilator response between 130 and 137% of baseline diameter that was no different across ..
- Anatomical variations of occipital bone impressions for dural venous sinuses around the torcular Herophili, with special reference to the consideration of clinical significance
Department of Anatomy, Institute of Medical Sciences, Bananas Hindu University, 221 005 Vanarasi, India
Surg Radiol Anat 26:480-7. 2004
..Clinical significance is discussed with our preliminary trial for the optimization of the inner skull surface and venous flow using computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging, and demonstration of cerebrovascular disease...
- Idiopathic hypertrophic spinal pachymeningitis: report of two cases with typical MR imaging findings
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:590-2. 2007
..This imaging appearance in patients with chronic progressive myelopathy should suggest the diagnosis of IHSP...
- Sensory innervation of the lumbar dura mater passing through the sympathetic trunk in rats
Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery and Anatomy, Fukushima Medical College, Fukushima, and the Department of Anatomy, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:776-82. 2000
STUDY DESIGN: Sensory innervation of the lumbar dura mater passing through the sympathetic trunk was investigated by neuronal tracing and immunohistochemical methods...
- Spinal pseudomeningoceles and cerebrospinal fluid fistulas
Department of Neurosurgery, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1029, USA
Neurosurg Focus 15:E6. 2003
..Nonsurgical methods may be used, but more frequently operative repair is required. In this article, the authors review the diagnosis and treatment of spinal pseudomeningoceles and CSF fistulas...
- Time-dependent blockade of neurogenic plasma extravasation in dura mater by 5-HT1B/D agonists and endopeptidase 24.11
Stroke Research Laboratory, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114
Br J Pharmacol 108:331-5. 1993
..in rats and guinea-pigs were assessed by measuring the leakage of radiolabelled albumin from blood into the dura mater at intervals for up to 120 min after a 5 min stimulation period (5 Hz, 0.6 mA, 5 ms). 2...
- Histological investigation of resected dura mater attached to spinal meningioma
Department of Orthopedics, Faculty of Medicine, Jichi Medical University, Tochigi, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:E1398-401. 2012
..Histological observational study of patients with spinal meningioma...
- Investigation of the material properties of alginate for the development of hydrogel repair of dura mater
Elizabeth A Nunamaker
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, 2200 Bonisteel Blvd, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2099, USA
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 4:16-33. 2011
The collagenous dura mater isolates the brain from the external environment and requires a secure closure following invasive neurosurgery. This is typically accomplished by approximation of the dura mater via sutures and adhesives...
- Anatomical evaluation of the dural sinuses in the region of the torcular herophili using three dimensional CT venography
Department of Radiology, Takanohara Central Hospital, Nara 631 0805, Japan
Acad Radiol 17:1103-11. 2010
..The aims of this study were to evaluate anatomic variations of this confluence and to assess their clinical relevance using three-dimensional (3D) computed tomographic (CT) venography...
- Clinical application of a new bioabsorbable artificial dura mater
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Medicine, National Cardiovascular Center, Kyoto University, Japan
J Neurosurg 96:731-5. 2002
In their pursuit of a better substitute for dura mater in neurosurgical procedures, the authors review their experience with GM972.
- New technique for application of fibrin sealant: rubbing method devised to prevent cerebrospinal fluid leakage from dura mater sites repaired with expanded polytetrafluoroethylene surgical membranes
Department of Neurosurgery, Hachioji Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
Neurosurgery 49:117-23. 2001
..The effectiveness of a strong, pressure-tight method for fibrin sealant application was experimentally and clinically evaluated, using expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE) surgical membranes...
- Activation of TRPA1 on dural afferents: a potential mechanism of headache pain
Rebecca M Edelmayer
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Pain 153:1949-58. 2012
..Further, they suggest that activation of meningeal TRPA1 via endogenous or exogenous mechanisms can lead to afferent signaling and headache...
- Intraradicular disc herniations in the lumbar spine and a new classification of intradural disc herniations
Department of Neurosurgery, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Spinal Cord 39:545-8. 2001
..CONCLUSION: We suggest a new classification for intradural disc herniations with this unusual case presentation and review the literature for pathogenesis, clinical picture, diagnosis and treatment...
- The role of regional posterior frontal dura mater in the overlying suture morphology
Bethany J Slater
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hagey Laboratory for Pediatric Regenerative Medicine, Stanford University School of MedicineStanford, California 94305 5148, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 123:463-9. 2009
..The authors investigated the influence of regional posterior frontal dura mater on the overlying suture morphology and fate.
- Clinical features and diagnosis of dura mater graft associated Creutzfeldt Jakob disease
Department of Neurology and Neurobiology of Aging, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Takara machi, Kanazawa, Japan
Neurology 69:360-7. 2007
A subset of patients with dura mater graft-associated Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (dCJD) demonstrates atypical clinical features and plaque formation in the brain (plaque type).
- Recurrent cranial neuropathy as a clinical presentation of idiopathic inflammation of the dura mater: a possible relationship to Tolosa-Hunt syndrome and cranial pachymeningitis
Department of Neurology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurol Sci 154:101-5. 1998
..We discuss the relationship of the idiopathic recurrent cranial neuropathy with disorders characterized by inflammation of the dura mater, such as Tolosa-Hunt syndrome and cranial pachymeningitis.
- Application of a hydrogel sealant improves watertight closures of duraplasty onlay grafts in a canine craniotomy model
Mark C Preul
Division of Neurological Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA
J Neurosurg 107:642-50. 2007
..The authors evaluated whether a polyethylene glycol-based hydrogel sealant system improved dural closures with collagen-based duraplasty onlay grafts...
- Dural lesions in lumbar disc herniation surgery: incidence, risk factors, and outcome
Department of Orthopedics, Lund University Hospital, 22185, Lund, Sweden
Eur Spine J 19:439-42. 2010
..It is concluded that a dural lesion is a technical complication which must be solved at the time of surgery but which does not bear any negative implications on the long-term outcome for the patient...
- Evaluation of a novel propylene oxide-treated collagen material as a dural substitute
Cormac O Maher
Department of Neurosurgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Neurosurg 99:1070-6. 2003
..They then compared this material to a commonly used dural substitute as well as to native dura mater used during primary closure.
- Migraine presenting as chronic facial pain
Headache Clinic, Department of Neurology, University Hospital UZ Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Neurol Belg 109:235-7. 2009
..This is the anatomic basis of migraine pain presenting as referred pain to the second division of the trigeminal nerve. The atypical presentation of migraine pain can easily lead to inappropriate treatment regimens...
- [Prion disease surveillance in Japan: analysis of 1,241 patients]
Department of Neurology and Neurobiology of Aging, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 49:939-42. 2009
..5%), 4 with a P105L mutation (1.9%), and so on. The environmentally acquired cases included 77 with dura mater graft-associated CJD (dCJD) and one with variant CJD (vCJD)...
- Increased asymmetric pulvinar magnetic resonance imaging signals in Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease with florid plaques following a cadaveric dura mater graft
Department of Neuropathology, Neurological Institute, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Neuropathology 26:82-8. 2006
A 9-year-old Japanese girl received a cadaveric dura mater graft during surgery following a head injury with brain contusion...
- Activation of TRPV4 on dural afferents produces headache-related behavior in a preclinical rat model
University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Cephalalgia 31:1595-600. 2011
..Based on the sensitivity to these stimuli we hypothesized that dural afferents express the osmo/mechano-sensitive channel transient receptor-potential vanilloid 4 (TRPV4)...
- Peripheral GABAA receptor-mediated effects of sodium valproate on dural plasma protein extravasation to substance P and trigeminal stimulation
W S Lee
Massachusetts General Hospital, Stroke and Neurovascular Regulation, Charlestown 02129, USA
Br J Pharmacol 116:1661-7. 1995
..The dosages required are comparable to those used clinically. Agonists and modulators at the GABAA receptor may become useful for the development of selective therapeutic agents for migraine and cluster headache...
- Tightness of duraplasty in rabbits: a comparative study
Department of Neurosurgery, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Neurosurgery 46:1470-6; discussion 1476-7. 2000
..Parsippany, NJ), Tutoplast fascia lata (Tutogen Medical, Inc.), autologous periosteum, Neuropatch (B. Braun Melsungen AG), Dacron (E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Co., Wilmington, DE), and Ethisorb (Ethicon, Inc., Somerville, NJ)...
- Giant chondroma arising from the dura mater of the convexity. Case report and review of the literature
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, Japan
J Neurosurg 94:331-4. 2001
Chondromas arising from the dura mater are rare intracranial tumors. The authors present a case of intracranial giant chondroma originating from the dura mater of the convexity. Neuroimaging and surgical findings are described...
- Efficacy and safety of a collagen matrix for cranial and spinal dural reconstruction using different fixation techniques
Department of Neurosurgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
J Neurosurg 109:215-21. 2008
..The aim of this study was to investigate the efficacy and safety of dural repair with a collagen matrix using different fixation techniques...
- Responses of neurons in the spinal nucleus of the trigeminal nerve to electrical stimulation of the dura mater of the rat brain
S S Panteleev
I P Pavlov Institute of Physiology, Russian Academy of Sciences, 6 Makarov Street, 199034 St Petersburg, Russia
Neurosci Behav Physiol 35:555-9. 2005
The pathogenesis of migraine is based on the aseptic inflammation of dura mater tissues surrounding the large cranial vessels, such as the superior sagittal sinus...
- The dural tail sign--beyond meningioma
Department of Radiology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Clin Radiol 60:171-88. 2005
..The final diagnosis must be based on cerebrospinal fluid studies or histological studies after biopsy...
- The role of dura mater and free peritoneal graft in the reinforcement of colon anastomosis
Department of Surgery, Vakif Gureba Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Invest Surg 20:15-21. 2007
..experimental study aimed at preventing anastomotic leakage and dehiscence, we used dehydrated, lyophilized human dura mater and free peritoneal graft for reinforcement of anastomotic region after primary repair in rats, and investigated ..
- Microvascular network remodeling in dura mater of ovariectomized pigs: role for angiopoietin-1 in estrogen-dependent control of vascular stability
Olga V Glinskii
Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H1131-7. 2007
..Here, using the perfused dura mater model coupled with high-resolution digital epifluorescence and laser scanning confocal microscopy and computer-..
- S+ -flurbiprofen but not 5-HT1 agonists suppress basal and stimulated CGRP and PGE2 release from isolated rat dura mater
Institute of Physiology and Experimental Pathophysiology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, Universitatsstrasse 17, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Pain 103:313-20. 2003
..Thus, inhibition of meningeal neuropeptide secretion is not a common action principle of the drugs that could be essential for their antimigraine effects...
- Mast cells populations fluctuate along the spinal dura mater of the developing rat
Laboratory of Anatomy and Histology, Veterinary School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
Brain Res 1226:8-17. 2008
..the distribution pattern of mast cells (MCs) along the cervical, the thoracic and the lumbar parts of the spinal dura mater. Postnatal infiltration of spinal dura by MCs does not appear to follow a sequential developmental pattern and ..
- Anatomic relation between the rectus capitis posterior minor muscle and the dura mater
G D Hack
Department of Restorative Dentistry, University of Maryland at Baltimore, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2484-6. 1995
..This connective tissue bridge may help resist dural infolding during head and neck extension...
- Increased responses in trigeminocervical nociceptive neurons to cervical input after stimulation of the dura mater
Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Brain 126:1801-13. 2003
..Trigeminal afferents of the supratentorial dura mater were activated by mustard oil (MO) and the responses of second-order neurons to stimulation of the greater ..
- Use of equine collagen foil as dura mater substitute in endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgery
Department of Neurological Sciences, Division of Neurosurgery Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, 80131 Naples, Italy
Surg Neurol 65:144-8; discussion 149. 2006
..This study describes the use of a novel collagen-based dural substitute in endoscopic endonasal transsphenoidal surgery...
- Sensitization of meningeal sensory neurons and the origin of headaches
A M Strassman
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Nature 384:560-4. 1996
- Properties of neurons in the trigeminal nucleus caudalis responding to noxious dural and facial stimulation
Headache Group, Institute of Neurology, London, UK
Brain Res 1046:122-9. 2005
- A new collagen biomatrix of equine origin versus a cadaveric dura graft for the repair of dural defects--a comparative animal experimental study
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Luebeck, Luebeck, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:877-87. 2005
..The comparable material is Tutoplast Dura, a human cadaveric-derived dural graft preserved in a multiple stage chemical process...
- Neurophysiological markers of central sensitisation in the trigeminal pathway and their modulation by the cyclo-oxygenase inhibitor ketorolac
Alexey Y Sokolov
Department of Neuropharmacology, Valdman Institute of Pharmacology, St Petersburg Pavlov State Medical University, St Petersburg, Russia
Cephalalgia 30:1241-9. 2010
- Effect of a serotonin agonist (sumatriptan) on the peptidergic innervation of the rat cerebral dura mater and on the expression of c-fos in the caudal trigeminal nucleus in an experimental migraine model
Department of Clinical Neurology, Albert Szent Gyorgyi University Medical School, Szeged, Hungary
J Neurosci Res 48:449-64. 1997
..Disparate findings regarding this effect are partly due to the fact that sumatriptan very poorly passes the blood-brain barrier and partly to different experimental paradigms used by different authors...
- Localization of COX-1 and COX-2 in the intracranial dura mater of the rat
Xi Chun Zhang
Department of Anesthesia, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, United States
Neurosci Lett 452:33-6. 2009
..labeling immunohistochemistry to examine the distribution of the COX-1 and COX-2 isoforms in the intracranial dura mater of the rat and identify cell types that express them...
- Kynurenine aminotransferase in the supratentorial dura mater of the rat: effect of stimulation of the trigeminal ganglion
Department of Clinical Neurology, University Medical School and Neurology Research Group of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Szeged, Hungary
Exp Neurol 186:242-7. 2004
..This treatment is known to evoke release of neuropeptides and neurotransmitters from nerve fibers of the dura mater. On the basis of immunocytochemical investigations, we found that under normal conditions, surface membranes of ..
- MRI and clinical syndrome in dura mater-related Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
National TSE Reference Center, Dept of Neurology, University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075, Gottingen, Germany
J Neurol 256:355-63. 2009
Iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (iCJD) is mainly associated with dura mater (DM) grafts and administration of human growth hormones (hGH). Data on disease course in DM-CJD are limited...
- Watertight dural closure: is it necessary? A prospective randomized trial in patients with supratentorial craniotomies
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Mannheim, Ruprecht Karls University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Neurosurgery 63:352-8; discussion 358. 2008
..The aim of the current study was to prospectively analyze complication rates and costs associated with dural closure in patients undergoing supratentorial craniotomies, randomized for watertight and adaptive dural closures...
- Follicular dendritic cell sarcoma arising in the dura mater of the spine
Jung Woo Choi
Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1718-21. 2006
..We report the case of a 68-year-old man who presented with low back pain. A mass was found in the lumbar dura mater and extended to the right epidural space...