Genomes and Genes
Summary: The largest and most lateral of the basal ganglia lying between the lateral medullary lamina of the globus pallidus and the external capsule. It is part of the neostriatum and forms part of the lentiform nucleus along with the globus pallidus.
Publications184 found, 100 shown here
- Dissociable roles of ventral and dorsal striatum in instrumental conditioningJohn O'Doherty
Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Science 304:452-4. 2004..Our results suggest partly dissociable contributions of the ventral and dorsal striatum, with the former corresponding to the critic and the latter corresponding to the actor...
- Preferential loss of serotonin markers in caudate versus putamen in Parkinson's diseaseStephen J Kish
Human Neurochemical Pathology Laboratory, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON, Canada
Brain 131:120-31. 2008..has focussed recently on the possibility that the remaining serotonin neurons innervating striatum (caudate and putamen) might release dopamine as a 'false transmitter'--an action that could have both beneficial and harmful (e.g...
- fMRI reveals two distinct cerebral networks subserving speech motor controlA Riecker
Department of General Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Neurology 64:700-6. 2005..The authors used fMRI to further examine the neural basis of speech motor control...
- Comparison of population activity in the dorsal premotor cortex and putamen during the learning of arbitrary visuomotor mappingsEthan R Buch
Section on Neurophysiology, Laboratory of Systems Neuroscience, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institute of Health, 49 Convent Drive, MSC 4401, Building 49/Room B1EE17, Bethesda, MD 20892-4401, USA
Exp Brain Res 169:69-84. 2006..activity patterns evolved at approximately the same time in both the dorsal premotor cortex (PMd) and the putamen. Here we report that, in both regions, the population activity for novel mappings came to resemble that for ..
- Different neural correlates of reward expectation and reward expectation error in the putamen and caudate nucleus during stimulus-action-reward association learningMasahiko Haruno
Department of Cognitive Neuroscience Computational Neuroscience Labs, Advanced Telecommunication Research Institute, Sorakugun, Kyoto 619 0288, Japan
J Neurophysiol 95:948-59. 2006..However, the putamen and caudate nucleus are embedded in distinct cortico-striatal loop circuits, predominantly connected to motor-..
- The location of persistent amphetamine-induced changes in the density of dendritic spines on medium spiny neurons in the nucleus accumbens and caudate-putamenYilin Li
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience Program, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1082-5. 2003..of this study was two-fold: (1) to determine whether amphetamine has similar effects on MSNs in the caudate-putamen (CPu) and (2) to determine if this effect is localized to distal dendrites, the site of convergence of dopamine (..
- Reading aloud boosts connectivity through the putamenMohamed L Seghier
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, Institute of Neurology, UCL, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Cereb Cortex 20:570-82. 2010Functional neuroimaging and lesion studies have frequently reported thalamic and putamen activation during reading and speech production...
- Somatotopic representation of nociceptive information in the putamen: an event-related fMRI studyU Bingel
NeuroImage Nord, Department of Neurology, Hamburg University Medical School, Germany
Cereb Cortex 14:1340-5. 2004..functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to assess whether nociceptive information is represented in the putamen in a somatotopic manner...
- Lesions of the nigrostriatal dopamine projection increase the inhibitory effects of D1 and D2 dopamine agonists on caudate-putamen neurons and relieve D2 receptors from the necessity of D1 receptor stimulationX T Hu
Neuropsychopharmacology Laboratory, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Lafayette Clinic, Detroit, Michigan 48207
J Neurosci 10:2318-29. 1990..were used to determine the sensitivities and interactions of D1 and D2 dopamine (DA) receptors in the caudate putamen (CPu) of rats that were denervated of DA by intraventricular injections of the catecholamine neurotoxin 6-..
- Neuronal encoding of reward value and direction of actions in the primate putamenYukiko Hori
Department of Physiology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
J Neurophysiol 102:3530-43. 2009..To address this issue, we investigated the activities of presumed projection neurons in the putamen of macaque monkeys performing a visually instructed GO-NOGO button-press task for large and small rewards...
- Strongly reduced volumes of putamen and thalamus in Alzheimer's disease: an MRI studyL W de Jong
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Brain 131:3277-85. 2008..Using 3T 3D T1 MR images, volumes of nucleus accumbens, amygdala, caudate nucleus, hippocampus, pallidum, putamen and thalamus were automatically calculated by the FMRIB's Integrated Registration and Segmentation Tool (FIRST)--..
- Analysis of the effects of cannabinoids on identified synaptic connections in the caudate-putamen by paired recordings in transgenic miceIlka Freiman
, , D-79104 Freiburg i. Br, Germany
J Physiol 575:789-806. 2006CB(1) cannabinoid receptors are expressed in many neurons in the caudate-putamen. However, it is not known how the activation of these receptors influences synaptic transmission between different neuron classes...
- Somatotopically arranged inputs from putamen and subthalamic nucleus to primary motor cortexShigehiro Miyachi
Department of System Neuroscience, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Tokyo Metropolitan Organization for Medical Research, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8526, Japan
Neurosci Res 56:300-8. 2006..In the striatum, two distinct sets of the labeling were observed: one in the dorsal putamen, and the other in the ventral striatum (ventromedial putamen and nucleus accumbens)...
- Postnatal development of dopamine and serotonin transporters in rat caudate-putamen and nucleus accumbens septiF I Tarazi
Mailman Research Center, McLean Division of Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School Belmont 02178, USA
Neurosci Lett 254:21-4. 1998Density of dopamine transporter (DAT) and serotonin transporter (5-HTT) membrane proteins in the caudate-putamen (CPu) and nucleus accumbens (NAc) of rat brain was assessed at seven ages at postnatal days (PD) 7-60, by in vitro ..
- Hyperintense putaminal rim at 3T reflects fewer ferritin deposits in the lateral marginal area of the putamenS Fujii
Division of Radiology, Department of Pathophysiological and Therapeutic Science, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:777-81. 2007..The aim of this study was to clarify the cause of hyperintense putaminal rim (HPR) on the basis of 3T MR imaging-pathologic correlations...
- Specific neuromodulatory actions of amyloid-beta on dopamine release in rat nucleus accumbens and caudate putamenElisa Mura
Department of Experimental and Applied Pharmacology, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Alzheimers Dis 19:1041-53. 2010..Abeta (1-40) on DA transmission to different release stimuli and to another dopaminergic brain area, the caudate putamen (CPu), in order to clarify whether the effect of the peptide is stimulus- or brain area-selective...
- Effects of acute cocaine on ERK and DARPP-32 phosphorylation pathways in the caudate-putamen of Fischer ratsWei Lun Sun
Department of Psychology, Hunter College, City University of New York, 695 Park Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Brain Res 1178:12-9. 2007..element-binding protein (CREB) kinase, pp90 ribosomal S6 kinase (RSK), and c-Fos protein levels in the caudate/putamen of Fischer rats...
- Putamen FDOPA uptake and its relationship tot cognitive functioning in PDMarije van Beilen
Department of Neurology, University Medical Center Groningen, The Netherlands
J Neurol Sci 248:68-71. 2006..The putamen is part of the motor loop, while the caudate nucleus is part of the motor loop but also of the cognitive loop...
- Reduced volume of the putamen in REM sleep behavior disorder patientsTimothy M Ellmore
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Texas Houston Medical School, MSB 7 044, 6431 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 16:645-9. 2010..We hypothesized that REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) patients, at risk for developing PD, will demonstrate a pattern of neuronal degeneration reflected in reduced striatal volumes on T1-weighted MRI...
- Caudate and putamen volumes in good and poor outcome patients with schizophreniaMonte S Buchsbaum
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Box 1505, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
Schizophr Res 64:53-62. 2003..The caudate nucleus and putamen were traced on axial slices from the most superior extent of the caudate to the most inferior point where the ..
- Poor outcome in chronic schizophrenia is associated with progressive loss of volume of the putamenSerge A Mitelman
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Schizophr Res 113:241-5. 2009..Present longitudinal study was designed to investigate progressive differences in striatal volumes among chronic schizophrenia patients with different outcomes and healthy subjects...
- Cortical and putamen age-related changes in the microvessel density and astrocyte deficiency in spontaneously hypertensive and stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive ratsMarie Françoise Ritz
Department of Biomedicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Curr Neurovasc Res 6:279-87. 2009..SP-SHR) as a models for SVD, we analysed the effect of hypertension on the microvasculature in the cortex and putamen, and on its relationship with astrocytes in animals aged 2 to 9 months...
- Origins of GABA(A) and GABA(B) receptor-mediated responses of globus pallidus induced after stimulation of the putamen in the monkeyHitoshi Kita
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine, University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
J Neurosci 26:6554-62. 2006..Here, we characterized the responses of pallidal neurons to single and burst stimulation of the putamen (Put) in awake monkeys...
- A follow-up study on 6-[18F]fluoro-L-dopa uptake in early Parkinson's disease shows nonlinear progression in the putamenAnna Brück
Turku PET Centre, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Mov Disord 24:1009-15. 2009..Throughout the study, the smallest Fdopa uptake values were found in the dorso-caudal part of the putamen contralateral to the side with dominant motor symptoms...
- Focal putamen lesions impair learning in rule-based, but not information-integration categorization tasksShawn W Ell
Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute and Psychology Department, University of California, Berkeley 94720 1650, United States
Neuropsychologia 44:1737-51. 2006..Patients with basal ganglia lesions centered in the putamen (6 left side, 1 right side) were tested on rule-based and information-integration visual categorization tasks...
- Dopamine D2 and D3 receptors in human putamen, caudate nucleus, and globus pallidusPhilip Seeman
Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, King s College Circle, Medical Sciences Building, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
Synapse 60:205-11. 2006..This method revealed that these two radioligands detected only D2 receptors in the dorsal putamen and the dorsal caudate nucleus, but detected a mixed population of two-thirds D2 and one-third D3 DA receptors in ..
- Dopaminergic modulation of neuronal activity in the monkey putamen through D1 and D2 receptors during a delayed Go/Nogo taskM Inase
Supermolecular Science Division, Electrotechnical Laboratory, Tsukuba, Japan
Exp Brain Res 117:207-18. 1997Using multibarreled glass micropipettes, we recorded single-unit activity in the putamen, and iontopho retically applied D1 and D2 dopamine receptor agonists (SKF38393, quinpirole) and antagonists (SCH23390, sulpiride) while two monkeys ..
- Hemichorea-hemiballism associated with hyperintense putamen on T1-weighted MR images: an update and a hypothesisDin E Shan
Neurological Institute, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Neurol Taiwan 13:170-7. 2004In 1998 some patients with hyperglycemia-related hemichorea-hemiballism have been reported with a hyperintense putamen on T1-weighted MR images, presumably resulting from petechial hemorrhage...
- Organization of corticostriatal motor inputs in monkey putamenAtsushi Nambu
Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Tokyo Metropolitan Organization for Medical Research, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8526, Japan
J Neurophysiol 88:1830-42. 2002To analyze the organization of corticostriatal motor inputs, we examined the neuronal responses in the putamen (Put) to stimulation in the primary motor cortex (MI) and the supplementary motor area (SMA)...
- Putamen coactivation during motor task executionWilliam R Marchand
Department of Veterans Affairs, VISN 19 MIRECC, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
Neuroreport 19:957-60. 2008..During the completion of a unilateral motor task with either hand, each putamen nucleus demonstrated strong coactivation with structures in both hemispheres...
- Dopamine D2 receptors are present in prefrontal cortical afferents and their targets in patches of the rat caudate-putamen nucleusHong Wang
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Joan and Sanford I Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Comp Neurol 442:392-404. 2002..neurons of the substantia nigra pars compacta preferentially terminate in patch-like regions within the caudate putamen nucleus (CPN)...
- Bilateral grey-matter increase in the putamen in primary blepharospasmT Etgen
Department of Neurology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:1017-20. 2006..Primary blepharospasm is a focal dystonia characterised by excessive involuntary closure of the eyelids. The pathophysiology of primary blepharospasm is unresolved...
- The role of dominant striatum in language: a study using intraoperative electrical stimulationsS Gil Robles
Department of Neurosurgery, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:940-6. 2005..Intraoperative electrical stimulation during surgery for tumours involving the caudate nucleus or putamen in the dominant hemisphere might be illuminating...
- Dopamine turnover is upregulated in the caudate/putamen of asymptomatic MPTP-treated rhesus monkeysChristian Pifl
Center for Brain Research, Medical University of Vienna, Spitalgasse 4, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Neurochem Int 49:519-24. 2006..We found that in the asymptomatic MPTP monkeys the DOPAC/DA ratios in putamen and caudate nucleus were shifted with high statistical significance 1.9-5...
- Magnetic resonance imaging-based volumetric analysis of basal ganglia nuclei and substantia nigra in patients with Parkinson's diseaseDao-Ying Geng
Department of Radiology, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Neurosurgery 58:256-62; discussion 256-62. 2006..The whole brain volume and the volumes of the caudate, putamen, globus pallidus, and substantia nigra were calculated on three-dimensional reconstructed images...
- Catalepsy induced by a blockade of dopamine D1 or D2 receptors was reversed by a concomitant blockade of adenosine A(2A) receptors in the caudate-putamen of ratsW Hauber
Department of Animal Physiology, Institute of Biology, University of Stuttgart, D 70550 Stuttgart, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 14:1287-93. 2001..by a systemic D2 receptor blockade with raclopride or by a bilateral blockade of D2 receptors in the caudate-putamen (CPu) with S(-)sulpiride...
- Disorganized somatotopy in the putamen of patients with focal hand dystoniaC Delmaire
Department of Neuroradiology, , Paris, France
Neurology 64:1391-6. 2005..Compared to healthy volunteer subjects, dystonic subjects had altered somatotopic organization in the left putamen, contralateral to the affected hand...
- A method to accurately inject tumor cells into the caudate/putamen nuclei of the mouse brainShinya Yamada
Department of Neurosurgery, Tokai University Oiso Hospital, Japan
Tokai J Exp Clin Med 29:167-73. 2004..To improve currently used techniques to implant tumor cells into the parenchyma of the mouse brain...
- The subcortical anatomy of human spatial neglect: putamen, caudate nucleus and pulvinarHans Otto Karnath
Department of Cognitive Neurology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Brain 125:350-60. 2002..Analysis revealed that the putamen, the pulvinar and, to a smaller degree, the caudate nucleus are the subcortical structures typically associated ..
- Improved functional outcome in patients with hemorrhagic stroke in putamen and thalamus compared with those with stroke restricted to the putamen or thalamusI Miyai
Department of Neurology, Toneyama National Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Stroke 31:1365-9. 2000..We analyzed the effect of late intensive inpatient rehabilitation on the functional outcome of patients with subcortical hemorrhagic stroke...
- Transcriptional changes in multiple system atrophy and Parkinson's disease putamenIna R Vogt
Department of Neurology, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Exp Neurol 199:465-78. 2006..in MSA, we chose CNS regions differentially affected in MSA and PD for comparative gene expression profiling: putamen, cerebellum and occipital cortex...
- Onset and rate of striatal atrophy in preclinical Huntington diseaseE H Aylward
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Neurology 63:66-72. 2004..Huntington disease (HD) is characterized by striatal atrophy that begins long before the onset of motor symptoms...
- Effects of the perivascular space on convection-enhanced delivery of liposomes in primate putamenMichal T Krauze
Department of Neurological Surgery, Laboratory of Molecular Therapeutics, University of California, 1855 Folsom Street, Room 226, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
Exp Neurol 196:104-11. 2005..MR method for monitoring CED delivery of liposomes in primate CNS allowed us to closely monitor infusions of putamen. Our findings indicate that CED in putamen is associated with perivascular transport of liposomes, throughout CNS ..
- Different neural substrates mediate cocaine seeking after abstinence versus extinction training: a critical role for the dorsolateral caudate-putamenRita A Fuchs
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Neurosci 26:3584-8. 2006..We show that inactivation of the dorsolateral caudate-putamen, but not other structures previously implicated in reinstatement, attenuates cocaine seeking after abstinence...
- Encoding of direction and combination of movements by primate putamen neuronsYasumasa Ueda
Faculty of Health and Sport Sciences, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-0043, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 18:980-94. 2003..We found that activity of 43% (30/69) and 60% (42/69) of putamen neurons was selective to the preprogrammed combination of movements and to the direction of the first movement...
- Amphetamine-induced c-fos mRNA expression in the caudate-putamen and subthalamic nucleus: interactions between dose, environment, and neuronal phenotypeJason M Uslaner
Biopsychology and Neuroscience Programs, Department of Psychology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48019, USA
J Neurochem 85:105-14. 2003..c-fos mRNA in the subthalamic nucleus (STN) and in preproenkephalin mRNA-containing (ENK+) neurons in the caudate-putamen (CPu). When administered at home, however, low doses of amphetamine do not produce these effects...
- Differential gene expression in the rat caudate putamen after "binge" cocaine administration: advantage of triplicate microarray analysisVadim Yuferov
Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Synapse 48:157-69. 2003..U34A (Affymetrix) oligonucleotide microarrays were used to analyze changes in gene expression in the caudate putamen (CPu) of Fischer rats induced by 1 and 3 days of "binge" cocaine (or saline) administration...
- Putamen lesions and the development of attention-deficit/hyperactivity symptomatologyJeffrey E Max
University of California, San Diego and Children s Hospital and Health Center, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:563-71. 2002To investigate the association between focal stroke lesions of the putamen and either attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder or traits of the disorder (ADHD/Traits).
- Response properties of neurons in the caudate-putamen and globus pallidus to noxious and non-noxious thermal stimulation in anesthetized ratsE H Chudler
Department of Anesthesiology, Box 356540, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 6540, USA
Brain Res 812:283-8. 1998To investigate the possible mechanisms by which neurons in the caudate-putamen (CPu) and globus pallidus (GP) participate in pain and nociception, the present study characterized the response properties of CPu and GP neurons to non-..
- Involvement of the posteroventral caudate-putamen in memory consolidation in the Morris water mazeB Setlow
Department of Psychobiology, University of California, Irvine, Irvine California, 92697 3800, USA
Neurobiol Learn Mem 71:240-7. 1999..0 or 100.0 ng/side) or saline vehicle into the posteroventral caudate-putamen. Retention was tested 2 days later with a probe trial...
- High-fat diet exposure increases dopamine D2 receptor and decreases dopamine transporter receptor binding density in the nucleus accumbens and caudate putamen of miceTimothy South
Neurobiology Research Centre for Metabolic and Psychiatric Disorders, School of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
Neurochem Res 33:598-605. 2008..increased D2 receptor and decreased DAT density in the dorsal and ventral parts of the caudal caudate putamen (D2: 32% and 35% respectively, DAT: 33.3% and 28.8% respectively) compared with low-fat diet...
- Transient adenosine efflux in the rat caudate-putamenSylvia Cechova
Department of Chemistry and Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22904, USA
J Neurochem 105:1253-63. 2008..In this study, we measured the subsecond time course of adenosine efflux in the caudate-putamen of anesthetized rats after a 1 s, high-frequency stimulation of dopamine neurons in the substantia nigra...
- Glutamate decarboxylase (GAD67 and GAD65) gene expression is increased in a subpopulation of neurons in the putamen of Parkinsonian monkeysJ J Soghomonian
Centre de Recherche en Neurobiologie et Département d Anatomie, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Synapse 27:122-32. 1997..decarboxylase, GAD67 and GAD65, was analyzed by in situ hybridization histochemistry in the caudate nucleus and putamen of control and 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP)-treated parkinsonian squirrel monkeys...
- Fronto-striatal connections in the human brain: a probabilistic diffusion tractography studySandra E Leh
Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Neurosci Lett 419:113-8. 2007..DTI) tractography to reconstruct neural connections between the frontal cortex and the caudate nucleus and putamen in vivo...
- Strategies used by hippocampal- and caudate-putamen-lesioned rats in a learning taskM G Oliveira
Department of Psychobiology, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Neurobiol Learn Mem 68:32-41. 1997..The aim of our study was to investigate which strategy is used by rats bearing hippocampal or caudate-putamen lesions in the acquisition of a left/right discrimination task in an elevated T-maze in both Situations 1 and 2...
- Expression of mutated huntingtin fragment in the putamen is sufficient to produce abnormal movement in non-human primatesStephane Palfi
Atomic Energy Commission, Institute of Biomedical Imaging, MIRCen, place du General Leclerc, Orsay, France
Mol Ther 15:1444-51. 2007..of lentiviral vectors encoding a fragment of mutated huntingtin (Htt171-82Q) into the dorsolateral sensorimotor putamen of macaques...
- Enhancement of the acoustic startle response by dopamine agonists after 6-hydroxydopamine lesions of the substantia nigra pars compacta: corresponding changes in c-Fos expression in the caudate-putamenE G Meloni
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Brain Res 879:93-104. 2000..of c-Fos protein as a marker of neuronal activity to assess any corresponding drug-induced changes in the caudate-putamen (CPu) after L-DOPA administration...
- Altered dopaminergic profile in the putamen and substantia nigra in restless leg syndromeJames R Connor
Department of Neurosurgery, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033 0850, USA
Brain 132:2403-12. 2009..In this study, the substantia nigra and putamen were obtained at autopsy from individuals with primary RLS and a neurologically normal control group...
- NMDA receptor losses in putamen from patients with Huntington's diseaseA B Young
Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109
Science 241:981-3. 1988..compared to benzodiazepine, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), and muscarinic cholinergic receptor binding in the putamen and cerebral cortex of individuals with Huntington's disease (HD)...
- Ultrastructural localization of the CB1 cannabinoid receptor in mu-opioid receptor patches of the rat Caudate putamen nucleusJ J Rodriguez
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Division of Neurobiology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Neurosci 21:823-33. 2001..subtype 1 receptor (CB1R) and the mu-opioid receptor (muOR), in the striatal circuitry originating in the caudate putamen nucleus (CPN). Thus, the CB1R and muOR may show similar targeting in the CPN...
- Sensitized increase of period gene expression in the mouse caudate/putamen caused by repeated injection of methamphetamineT Nikaido
Department of Pharmacology and Brain Science, School of Human Sciences, Waseda University, Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan
Mol Pharmacol 59:894-900. 2001..Although the caudate/putamen (CPu) expresses mPer1 and/or mPer2 mRNA, the function of these genes in this nucleus has not yet been elucidated...
- Distribution, projection and dopaminergic regulation of the neurokinin B mRNA-containing neurons of the rat caudate-putamenJ M Burgunder
Laboratory of Cell Biology, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, MD 20892
Neuroscience 32:323-35. 1989..containing transcripts encoding neurokinin B, a member of the tachykinin family, were studied in the rat caudate-putamen using hybridization histochemistry...
- Executive dysfunction in early stages of Huntington's disease is associated with striatal and insular atrophy: a neuropsychological and voxel-based morphometric studyAlexander Peinemann
Department of Neurology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Mohlstrasse 28, D 81675 Munich, Germany
J Neurol Sci 239:11-9. 2005..The aim of the present study was to clarify if cognitive dysfunction in early stages of HD is correlated with loco-regional structural changes in 3D-MRI...
- Putamen hypertrophy in nondemented patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection and cognitive compromiseJ Mimi Boer Castelo
Cognitive Neuroimaging Laboratory, Center for Memory and Brain, Boston University, 2 Cummington St, Room 109, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Arch Neurol 64:1275-80. 2007..Documented death and dysfunction of basal ganglia cells in patients seropositive for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) suggest that the virus may cause structural compromise to these regions...
- Deep grey matter "black T2" on 3 tesla magnetic resonance imaging correlates with disability in multiple sclerosisY Zhang
Department of Radiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Mult Scler 13:880-3. 2007..5, P < 0.05). BT2 at 3 T may be a useful MRI measure associated with disability in MS and warrants further study...
- Shape deformity of the corpus striatum in obsessive-compulsive disorderJung Seok Choi
Department of Psychiatry, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Psychiatry Res 155:257-64. 2007..We performed 3-D shape deformation analysis of the caudate nucleus, the putamen, and the globus pallidus in 36 patients with OCD and 36 healthy normal subjects...
- Nigral degeneration and striatal dopaminergic dysfunction in idiopathic and Parkin-linked Parkinson's diseaseMichele T M Hu
MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Division of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, Hammersmith Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Mov Disord 21:299-305. 2006..All PD and parkin patients were discriminated from controls on the basis of caudate and putamen (18)F-dopa Ki reductions...
- Dopamine storage capacity in caudate and putamen of patients with early Parkinson's disease: correlation with asymmetry of motor symptomsYoshitaka Kumakura
PET Centre, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 26:358-70. 2006..The estimates of k(loss) and EDV(2) were more sensitive for the discrimination of biochemical abnormality in the putamen of patients with early PD relative to healthy aged subjects, than was the conventional net influx estimate...
- Volumes, spatial extents and a probabilistic atlas of the human basal ganglia and thalamusR Laila Ahsan
Division of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, and MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Hammersmith Hospital, DuCane Road, London, UK
Neuroimage 38:261-70. 2007..Here, manual delineation of the central structures (thalamus; nucleus caudatus and accumbens; putamen, pallidum, substantia nigra) was performed on 30 high resolution MRIs of healthy young adults (15 female, median ..
- Restless legs syndrome and low brain iron levels in patients with haemochromatosisJ Haba-Rubio
Institute for Research in Neurosciences and Neuropsychiatry, Rouffach, France
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:1009-10. 2005..These results indicate that local brain iron deficiency may occur in patients with haemochromatosis and suggest a role for brain iron metabolism in the pathophysiology of RLS...
- Basal ganglia shape abnormalities in the unaffected siblings of schizophrenia patientsDaniel Mamah
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Biol Psychiatry 64:111-20. 2008..Our aim was to test the hypothesis that abnormalities of basal ganglia structure are intrinsic features of schizophrenia by assessing basal ganglia volume and shape in the unaffected siblings of schizophrenia subjects...
- Nicotine and epibatidine alter differently nomifensine-elevated dopamine output in the rat dorsal and ventral striatumSanna Janhunen
Faculty of Pharmacy, Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 56, Viikinkaari 5, Helsinki FIN-00014, Finland
Eur J Pharmacol 511:143-50. 2005..Nomifensine (3 mg/kg) elevated extracellular dopamine in the caudate-putamen, and clearly more in the nucleus accumbens. In the caudate-putamen, nicotine (0.5 mg/kg) and epibatidine (0...
- Relation between obesity and blunted striatal response to food is moderated by TaqIA A1 alleleE Stice
Oregon Research Institute, 1715 Franklin Boulevard, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Science 322:449-52. 2008....
- Oral methylphenidate challenge selectively decreases putaminal T2 in healthy subjectsMarisa M Silveri
Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital and Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 76:173-80. 2004..Data were acquired from the caudate nucleus, putamen, and thalamus, using a 1.5 T MRI scanner at baseline and serially for 2 h following oral MPH administration (0...
- Mesostriatal and mesolimbic projections of midbrain neurons immunoreactive for estrogen receptor beta or androgen receptors in ratsLela M Creutz
Graduate Program in Neurobiology and Behavior, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794 5230, USA
J Comp Neurol 476:348-62. 2004The dopamine (DA) inputs to the caudate putamen, the nucleus accumbens, and the amygdala in rats are sensitive to circulating estrogens and androgens...
- Altered white matter/gray matter proportions in the striatum of patients with schizophrenia: a volumetric MRI studyChiharu Tamagaki
Human Brain Informatics, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Am J Psychiatry 162:2315-21. 2005..Magnetic resonance imaging scans were used to measure gray matter, white matter, and CSF volumes of the caudate, putamen, and nucleus accumbens in the left and the right hemispheres...
- Striatal dopaminergic activity (FDOPA-PET) associated with cognitive items of a depression scale (MADRS) in Parkinson's diseaseJanneke Koerts
Department of Neurology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, PO Box 30001, 9700 RB, The Netherlands
Eur J Neurosci 25:3132-6. 2007..The striatal dopaminergic activity of patients was assessed with FDOPA-PET. Dopaminergic activity of the putamen and caudate nucleus was associated with MADRS total score and specifically with the symptom 'Concentration ..
- Time and decision making: differential contribution of the posterior insular cortex and the striatum during a delay discounting taskMarc Wittmann
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 9116A, USA
Exp Brain Res 179:643-53. 2007..to the longer delays was associated with increased activation in the head of the left caudate nucleus and putamen. When individuals selected the delayed relative to the immediate reward, a strong activation was found in ..
- Evaluation of basal ganglia haemodynamic changes with perfusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in patients with Parkinson's diseaseF Gaudiello
Dipartimento di Diagnostica per Immagini e Radiologia Interventistica, Universita degli Studi di Roma Tor Vergata, Italy
Radiol Med 111:284-90. 2006..The aim of our study was to assess the regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF) of basal ganglia and thalami in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD) using perfusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (PW-MRI)...
- The fate of striatal dopaminergic neurons in Parkinson's disease and Huntington's choreaPhilippe Huot
Centre de Recherche Université, Laval Robert Giffard, Quebec, QC, Canada G1J 1Z4
Brain 130:222-32. 2007..striatum, but they abounded preferentially in the ventral portion of the structure and were more numerous in the putamen than in the caudate nucleus...
- Structural analysis of the basal ganglia in schizophreniaDaniel Mamah
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University Medical School, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Schizophr Res 89:59-71. 2007..Left and right volumes of the caudate and putamen, as well as the right globus pallidus volume, were significantly increased in subjects with schizophrenia as ..
- A magnetization transfer MRI study of deep gray matter involvement in multiple sclerosisJitendra Sharma
Center for Neurological Imaging, Partners MS Center, Department of Neurology, Brigham/Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Neuroimaging 16:302-10. 2006..Region-of-interest-derived MTR histograms for the caudate, putamen, globus pallidus, thalamus, and NAWM were obtained. Whole brain MTR was also measured...
- Striatal FP-CIT uptake differs in the subtypes of early Parkinson's diseaseJ Spiegel
Department of Neurology, Saarland University, Homburg Saar, Germany
J Neural Transm 114:331-5. 2007..We measured the ratios putamen/occipital lobe binding and caudate nucleus/occipital lobe binding...
- Assessing nigrostriatal dysfunctions by pharmacological MRI in parkinsonian rhesus macaquesZhiming Zhang
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Neuroimage 33:636-43. 2006..The primary findings were (1) the putamen and substantia nigra (SN) but not the caudate nucleus displayed significant BOLD responses to these dopaminergic ..
- Net influx of plasma 6-[18F]fluoro-L-DOPA (FDOPA) to the ventral striatum correlates with prefrontal processing of affective stimuliThomas Siessmeier
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Mainz, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 24:305-13. 2006....
- Validity of large-deformation high dimensional brain mapping of the basal ganglia in adults with Tourette syndromeLei Wang
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Psychiatry Res 154:181-90. 2007..dimensional brain mapping (HDBM-LD) as a tool to characterize the basal ganglia (caudate, globus pallidus and putamen) and thalamus...
- Basal ganglia volumes in drug-naive first-episode schizophrenia patients before and after short-term treatment with either a typical or an atypical antipsychotic drugAndreas Glenthoj
Danish Research Centre for Magnetic Resonance Imaging, University of Copenhagen, Hvidovre Hospital, Denmark
Psychiatry Res 154:199-208. 2007..Caudate nucleus, nucleus accumbens, and putamen volumes were measured...
- Sex differences in striatal dopamine release in healthy adultsCynthia A Munro
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Biol Psychiatry 59:966-74. 2006..Our findings indicate that future studies should control for sex and may have implications for the interpretation of sex differences in other illnesses involving the striatum...
- Attenuation of fluctuating striatal synaptic dopamine levels in patients with Parkinson disease in response to subthalamic nucleus stimulation: a positron emission tomography studyTaro Nimura
Department of Neurosurgery, Miyagi National Hospital, Japan
J Neurosurg 103:968-73. 2005..As part of an inquiry into the mechanism of STN DBS, the authors measured synaptic dopamine levels in the striatum by performing positron emission tomography (PET) with [11C]raclopride...
- Anatomic brain magnetic resonance imaging of the basal ganglia in pediatric bipolar disorderMary S Ahn
Cambridge Health Alliance Department of Psychiatry 1493 Cambridge St Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J Affect Disord 104:147-54. 2007..The BG (caudate, putamen, globus pallidus, nucleus accumbens) is interconnected with limbic and prefrontal cortical structures and ..
- Quantification analysis of 123I-IPT single photon emission computed tomography uptake in the striatum of parkinsonism with the standard magnetic resonance templateRahyeong Juh
Department of Biomedical Engineering, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 60:18-28. 2006....
- Differential patterns of dopamine transporter loss in the basal ganglia of progressive supranuclear palsy and Parkinson's disease: analysis with [(123)I]IPT single photon emission computed tomographyJoo-Hyuk Im
Department of Neurology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388-1 Pungnap-dong, Seoul 138-736, Korea
J Neurol Sci 244:103-9. 2006..the striatum correspond to the head of caudate nucleus (ROI 1), a transitional region between head of caudate and putamen (ROI 2), anterior putamen (ROI 3), and posterior putamen (ROI 4)...
- Relation between rotation in the 6-OHDA lesioned rat and dopamine loss in striatal and substantia nigra subregionsM E Olds
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Synapse 59:532-44. 2006..6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) in the substantia nigra (SN) and the loss of DA in subregions of the SN and caudate-putamen (C/PUT) is not clear. Here this relation was examined in 23 rats classified as rotators to amphetamine (5 mg/kg)...
- Oral methylphenidate fails to elicit significant changes in extracellular putaminal dopamine levels in Parkinson's disease patients: positron emission tomographic studiesKaveh M Koochesfahani
Pacific Parkinson s Research Centre, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Mov Disord 21:970-5. 2006..Oral methylphenidate produced no significant change in extracellular DA levels in the putamen, as estimated by comparing changes in RAC binding at baseline and 1 hour following its administration in PD ..
- First human evidence of d-amphetamine induced displacement of a D2/3 agonist radioligand: A [11C]-(+)-PHNO positron emission tomography studyMatthaus Willeit
Positron Emission Tomography Centre, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:279-89. 2008..Binding potentials (BPs) were calculated for caudate, putamen, ventral striatum, and globus pallidus...
- Imaging in Parkinson's disease: the role of monoamines in behaviorDavid J Brooks
MRC Clinical Sciences Centre and Division of Neuroscience, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, United Kingdom
Biol Psychiatry 59:908-18. 2006..In Parkinson's disease (PD) posterior dorsal putamen DA terminals are initially targeted, the anterior putamen and head of caudate subsequently becoming affected...
- Volumetric analysis and three-dimensional glucose metabolic mapping of the striatum and thalamus in patients with autism spectrum disordersM Mehmet Haznedar
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1505, New York, NY 10029, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:1252-63. 2006..The authors used imaging studies to map volumetric and metabolic differences within the entire dorsoventral extent of the striatum and thalamus...
- Regional cerebral hyperperfusion with ictal dystonic posturing: ictal-interictal SPECT subtractionEun Yeon Joo
Department of Neurology, Samsung Medical Center and Center for Clinical Medicine, SBRI, Sungkyunkwn University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Epilepsia 45:686-9. 2004..001, chi2, in caudate nucleus; 93.3% (14 of 15) versus 47.0% (eight of 17), p = 0.005, in putamen; and 80.0% (12 of 15) versus 41.2% (seven of 17), p = 0.026, in thalamus...
- Changes in angiotensin II receptors in dopamine-rich regions of the mouse brain with age and ethanol consumptionD L Daubert
Program in Neuroscience, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164 6520, USA
Brain Res 816:8-16. 1999..angiotensin II (Ang II) receptors was determined in three dopaminergic nerve terminal-rich brain regions (caudate putamen, nucleus accumbens, and ventral pallidum) of mice that were given either water (control) or 20% w/v ethanol (EtOH)..
- Decreased striatal dopamine D1 receptor-stimulated adenylyl cyclase activity in human methamphetamine usersJunchao Tong
Human Neurochemical Pathology Laboratory, Center for Addiction and Mental Health, 250 College Street, Toronto, Ontario M5T 1R8, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 160:896-903. 2003..of dopamine stimulation of adenylyl cyclase activity was seen in the striatum (nucleus accumbens, caudate, and putamen) of the methamphetamine users...
- Basal Ganglia volumes in patients with Gilles de la Tourette syndromeBradley S Peterson
Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, The Department of Psychiatry, New York State Psychiatric Institute and Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York 10032, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:415-24. 2003....
- EMBRYONIC DOPAMINE CELL IMPLANTS FOR PARKINSONISMCurt Freed; Fiscal Year: 2005..received cultured mesencephalic tissue from four embryos along four 30 to 40 mm needle tracts bilaterally in the putamen. Control patients had burr holes but no actual implantations. No patients were immunosuppressed...
- Molecular Mechanisms Controlling Formation of Basal Ganglia CircuitryKENNETH J CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The major component of the basal ganglia, the striatum (or caudate-putamen) processes cortical inputs and subsequently regulates the output nuclei of the basal ganglia through two output ..
- COCAINE INDUCED OPIOID, DOPAMINE AND BEHAVIORAL CHANGESELLEN UNTERWALD; Fiscal Year: 2002..cyclase activity will be assessed by measuring the accumulation of cAMP in the nucleus accumbens, caudate putamen, and olfactory tubercle...
- Roles of Gsh1 & Gsh2 in Telencephalic NeurogenesisKENNETH J CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..One of the major telencephalic structures controlling these processes is the striatum (also known as the caudate-putamen)...
- Thalamostriatal System in ParkinsonismTHOMAS N WICHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Projections from the CM terminate in the putamen, completing a movement-related trans-thalamic feedback loop by which basal ganglia output may act to shape ..
- Roles of Gsh1 & 2 genes in telencephalic neurogenesisKenneth Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2006..regions controlling these processes are the cerebral cortex and the striatum (also known as the caudate-putamen)...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF HUMAN VOLUNTARY MOVEMENTSJerome Sanes; Fiscal Year: 2001..Human subjects with two types of pathology-Parkinson's disease (ON and OFF dopaminergic medication) and focal putamen lesion-will be studied to test hypotheses that the basal ganglia: (1) calibrate muscle activity during changing ..
- NEURAL CONTROL OF VOLUNTARY MOVEMENTSJerome Sanes; Fiscal Year: 1993..Human subjects with two types of pathology-Parkinson's disease (ON and OFF dopaminergic medication) and focal putamen lesion-will be studied to test hypotheses that the basal ganglia: (1) calibrate muscle activity during changing ..
- CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF EMOTION AND ATTENTIONPeter Lang; Fiscal Year: 2007..of conditioned fear whereas infusion of comparable doses into the central (Ce), basolateral (Bla) or caudate-putamen had no effect...
- Pre-Clinical Trial of MSC-Based Therapy for CNS DiseaseDONALD PHINNEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..from bone marrow, referred to as mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) will be injected unilaterally into the caudate putamen of infant rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) using stereotaxic coordinates determined by MRI...
- Neostriatal Visual Processing & Initiation of MovementEmad Eskandar; Fiscal Year: 2005..The input nuclei of the basal ganglia in primates include the caudate and putamen. The output nuclei include the Gpi and the substantia nigra pars reticulata...
- Dopaminergic Mechanisms of Cytokine-Induced Behavioral ChangeAndrew H Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..ganglia glucose metabolism and increased uptake of the DA precursor, [18F]fluorodopa (FDOPA), in caudate and putamen. To further characterize these IFN-alpha effects on DA pathways, we have recently developed an animal model of ..
- Schizophrenia Data and Software Tool Federation using BIRN InfrastructureLei Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., hippocampus, amygdala, thalamus, caudate nucleus, nucleus accumbens, putamen and globus pallidus)...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2009..By contrast, PV neuron number and density were decreased in the Caudate (Cd), Putamen (Pt) and insular cerebral cortex in the same TS subjects...
- IRON DEFICIENCY AND DOPAMINEJohn Beard; Fiscal Year: 2000..determine if regional brain iron deficiency alters the release and re-uptake of DA in synaptosomes from caudate-putamen and to determine if the number of functioning transporter mRNA for these transporters are altered, 3) determine ..
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora M Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2010..By contrast, PV neuron number and density were decreased in the Caudate (Cd), Putamen (Pt) and insular cerebral cortex in the same TS subjects...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2007..By contrast, PV neuron number and density were decreased in the Caudate (Cd), Putamen (Pt) and insular cerebral cortex in the same TS subjects...
- THE CONNECTIONAL ORGANIZATION OF THE THALAMUSJOHN HARTING; Fiscal Year: 2001The centromedian nucleus (CM-Pf) projects to striatal (caudate and putamen) neurons that are key components of basal ganglia pathways that regulate movement...
- Basal Ganglia Functions in Huntington's Disease: Genetic Mouse ModelsElizabeth D Abercrombie; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the brain are the cerebral cortex and the subcortical nuclei of the basal ganglia, in particular the caudate/putamen. There currently is no satisfactory therapy for the disease and the hope for a cure remains distant despite the ..
- EM-TRANSMITTER INTERACTIONS OF STRIATAL OPIOID NEURONSVIRGINIA PICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2001Endogenous opiate peptides (enkephalins and dynorphin) within the dorsal (caudate-putamen nuclei, CPN) and ventral (nucleus accumbens septi) striatum have been implicated in motor and sensory responses to peripheral stimuli and in the ..