Genomes and Genes
Summary: The largest and most lateral of the basal ganglia lying between the lateral medullary lamina of the globus pallidus and the external capsule. It is part of the neostriatum and forms part of the lentiform nucleus along with the globus pallidus.
Publications244 found, 100 shown here
- Dissociable roles of ventral and dorsal striatum in instrumental conditioningJohn O'Doherty
Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience, Institute of Neurology, University College London, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Science 304:452-4. 2004..Our results suggest partly dissociable contributions of the ventral and dorsal striatum, with the former corresponding to the critic and the latter corresponding to the actor...
- Diffusion-weighted MRI differentiates the Parkinson variant of multiple system atrophy from PDM F H Schocke
Department of Radiology, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Neurology 58:575-80. 2002..However, it is currently unknown whether diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI) discriminates these disorders...
- Preferential loss of serotonin markers in caudate versus putamen in Parkinson's diseaseStephen J Kish
Human Neurochemical Pathology Laboratory, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, ON, Canada
Brain 131:120-31. 2008..has focussed recently on the possibility that the remaining serotonin neurons innervating striatum (caudate and putamen) might release dopamine as a 'false transmitter'--an action that could have both beneficial and harmful (e.g...
- Representation of action-specific reward values in the striatumKazuyuki Samejima
Department of Computational Neurobiology, ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories, 619 0288 Kyoto, Japan
Science 310:1337-40. 2005..Fewer neurons were tuned to relative values or action choice. These results suggest representation of action values in the striatum, which can guide action selection in the basal ganglia circuit...
- Elevated putamen D(2) receptor binding potential in major depression with motor retardation: an [11C]raclopride positron emission tomography studyJeffrey H Meyer
College Clarke Site, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, 250 College St, Toronto, Ontario M5T 1R8, Canada
Am J Psychiatry 163:1594-602. 2006..It was hypothesized that putamen D(2) binding potential would be higher during major depressive episodes featuring motor retardation.
- Optimal region of the putamen for image-guided convection-enhanced delivery of therapeutics in human and non-human primatesDali Yin
Department of Neurosurgery, University of California San Francisco, 1855 Folsom Street, MCB 226, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
Neuroimage 54:S196-203. 2011..we retrospectively analyzed MRI of 25 convection-enhanced delivery (CED) infusions with MRI contrast into the putamen of non-human primates (NHP)...
- The subcortical anatomy of human spatial neglect: putamen, caudate nucleus and pulvinarHans Otto Karnath
Department of Cognitive Neurology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Brain 125:350-60. 2002..Analysis revealed that the putamen, the pulvinar and, to a smaller degree, the caudate nucleus are the subcortical structures typically associated ..
- Synaptic and morphological neuroadaptations in the putamen associated with long-term, relapsing alcohol drinking in primatesVerginia C Cuzon Carlson
Laboratory for Integrative Neuroscience, Section on Synaptic Pharmacology, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, NIH, Rockville, MD, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:2513-28. 2011..protocol, we found a selective increase in dendritic spine density and enhanced glutamatergic transmission in the putamen, but not in the caudate nucleus...
- Organization of corticostriatal motor inputs in monkey putamenAtsushi Nambu
Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Tokyo Metropolitan Organization for Medical Research, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8526, Japan
J Neurophysiol 88:1830-42. 2002To analyze the organization of corticostriatal motor inputs, we examined the neuronal responses in the putamen (Put) to stimulation in the primary motor cortex (MI) and the supplementary motor area (SMA)...
- Functional connectivity of human striatum: a resting state FMRI studyA Di Martino
Phyllis Green and Randolph Cowen Institute for Pediatric Neuroscience, NYU Child Study Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Cereb Cortex 18:2735-47. 2008..This approach holds promise for studying basal ganglia dysfunction in clinical disorders...
- Real-time decoding of dopamine concentration changes in the caudate-putamen during tonic and phasic firingB Jill Venton
Department of Chemistry and Neuroscience Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3290, USA
J Neurochem 87:1284-95. 2003..These simulations show that synchronous phasic firing can produce spatially and temporally heterogeneous concentration profiles whereas asynchronous tonic firing elicits uniform, steady-state dopamine concentrations...
- Differential recruitment of the sensorimotor putamen and frontoparietal cortex during motor chunking in humansNicholas F Wymbs
Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Neuron 74:936-46. 2012..Activity in the bilateral sensorimotor putamen positively correlated with chunk concatenation, whereas a left-hemisphere frontoparietal network was correlated ..
- Convective delivery of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in the human putamenPaul F Morrison
Division of Bioengineering and Physical Science, Office of Research Services, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosurg 107:74-83. 2007..The authors conducted an analysis of the distribution of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in the human striatum following convection-enhanced delivery...
- Mu-opioid and NMDA-type glutamate receptors are often colocalized in spiny neurons within patches of the caudate-putamen nucleusH Wang
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Joan and Sanford I Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Comp Neurol 412:132-46. 1999The patch compartments of the caudate-putamen nucleus (CPN) are enriched in mu-opioid receptors (MORs) and have been recently implicated in reward-related behaviors...
- The contribution of the putamen to sensory aspects of pain: insights from structural connectivity and brain lesionsChristopher J Starr
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1010, USA
Brain 134:1987-2004. 2011..These interactions occur via cortico-basal ganglia-thalamo-cortical loops. The putamen is one of the major sites of cortical input into basal ganglia loops and is frequently activated during pain...
- Voltammetric characterization of the effect of monoamine uptake inhibitors and releasers on dopamine and serotonin uptake in mouse caudate-putamen and substantia nigra slicesCarrie E John
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Neuropharmacology 52:1596-605. 2007..and fenfluramine on dopamine and serotonin uptake following electrically stimulated release in mouse caudate-putamen and substantia nigra pars reticulata slices...
- Differential roles of caudate nucleus and putamen during instrumental learningAndrea Brovelli
Institut de Neurosciences Cognitives de la Mediterranee, UMR 6193, CNRS and Université Aix Marseille II, Marseille, France
Neuroimage 57:1580-90. 2011..The anterior caudate nucleus integrates information about performance and cognitive control demands, whereas the putamen tracks how likely the conditioning stimuli lead to correct response...
- Impairment of motor imagery in putamen lesions in humansC R Li
Medical Research Center and Department of Psychiatry, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, 5 Fu Hsing Street, Kwei Shan, 333, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Neurosci Lett 287:13-6. 2000Patients with putamen or cortical lesions participated in a first- and third-person movement imagery task, each primarily engaging kinesthetic and visual imagery...
- Comparison of population activity in the dorsal premotor cortex and putamen during the learning of arbitrary visuomotor mappingsEthan R Buch
Section on Neurophysiology, Laboratory of Systems Neuroscience, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institute of Health, 49 Convent Drive, MSC 4401, Building 49 Room B1EE17, Bethesda, MD 20892 4401, USA
Exp Brain Res 169:69-84. 2006..activity patterns evolved at approximately the same time in both the dorsal premotor cortex (PMd) and the putamen. Here we report that, in both regions, the population activity for novel mappings came to resemble that for ..
- Lesions of the nigrostriatal dopamine projection increase the inhibitory effects of D1 and D2 dopamine agonists on caudate-putamen neurons and relieve D2 receptors from the necessity of D1 receptor stimulationX T Hu
Neuropsychopharmacology Laboratory, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Lafayette Clinic, Detroit, Michigan 48207
J Neurosci 10:2318-29. 1990..were used to determine the sensitivities and interactions of D1 and D2 dopamine (DA) receptors in the caudate putamen (CPu) of rats that were denervated of DA by intraventricular injections of the catecholamine neurotoxin 6-..
- Glutamate infused posttraining into the hippocampus or caudate-putamen differentially strengthens place and response learningM G Packard
Department of Psychology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:12881-6. 1999..was used to examine the hypothesis that posttraining neurochemical manipulation of the hippocampus or caudate-putamen can bias an animal toward the use of a specific memory system...
- Somatotopically arranged inputs from putamen and subthalamic nucleus to primary motor cortexShigehiro Miyachi
Department of System Neuroscience, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Tokyo Metropolitan Organization for Medical Research, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8526, Japan
Neurosci Res 56:300-8. 2006..In the striatum, two distinct sets of the labeling were observed: one in the dorsal putamen, and the other in the ventral striatum (ventromedial putamen and nucleus accumbens)...
- Somatotopic representation of nociceptive information in the putamen: an event-related fMRI studyU Bingel
NeuroImage Nord, Department of Neurology, Hamburg University Medical School, Germany
Cereb Cortex 14:1340-5. 2004..functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to assess whether nociceptive information is represented in the putamen in a somatotopic manner...
- Analysis of the effects of cannabinoids on identified synaptic connections in the caudate-putamen by paired recordings in transgenic miceIlka Freiman
Institut fur Experimentelle und Klinische Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Albert Ludwigs Universitat, D 79104 Freiburg i Br, Germany
J Physiol 575:789-806. 2006CB(1) cannabinoid receptors are expressed in many neurons in the caudate-putamen. However, it is not known how the activation of these receptors influences synaptic transmission between different neuron classes...
- Strongly reduced volumes of putamen and thalamus in Alzheimer's disease: an MRI studyL W de Jong
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Brain 131:3277-85. 2008..Using 3T 3D T1 MR images, volumes of nucleus accumbens, amygdala, caudate nucleus, hippocampus, pallidum, putamen and thalamus were automatically calculated by the FMRIB's Integrated Registration and Segmentation Tool (FIRST)--..
- fMRI reveals two distinct cerebral networks subserving speech motor controlA Riecker
Department of General Neurology, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Neurology 64:700-6. 2005..The authors used fMRI to further examine the neural basis of speech motor control...
- Onset and rate of striatal atrophy in preclinical Huntington diseaseE H Aylward
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Neurology 63:66-72. 2004..Huntington disease (HD) is characterized by striatal atrophy that begins long before the onset of motor symptoms...
- Altered dopaminergic profile in the putamen and substantia nigra in restless leg syndromeJames R Connor
Department of Neurosurgery, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033 0850, USA
Brain 132:2403-12. 2009..In this study, the substantia nigra and putamen were obtained at autopsy from individuals with primary RLS and a neurologically normal control group...
- Different neural substrates mediate cocaine seeking after abstinence versus extinction training: a critical role for the dorsolateral caudate-putamenRita A Fuchs
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
J Neurosci 26:3584-8. 2006..We show that inactivation of the dorsolateral caudate-putamen, but not other structures previously implicated in reinstatement, attenuates cocaine seeking after abstinence...
- Foot, hand, face and eye representation in the human striatumEmmanuel Gerardin
Service Hospitalier Frederic Joliot, Department of Medical Research, CEA, Orsay, France
Cereb Cortex 13:162-9. 2003..For foot, hand and face movements, striatal activation was mainly found in the putamen with a somatotopical organization, the foot area being dorsal, the face area more ventral and medial, the hand ..
- Dysregulation of dopamine transporter trafficking and function after abstinence from cocaine self-administration in rats: evidence for differential regulation in caudate putamen and nucleus accumbensDevadoss J Samuvel
Division of Neuroscience Research, Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 173 Ashley Ave, BSB 403, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 325:293-301. 2008..Using ex vivo caudate putamen (CPu) and nucleus accumbens (NAcc) synaptosomal preparations, we found that DA uptake was significantly higher in ..
- Specific neuromodulatory actions of amyloid-beta on dopamine release in rat nucleus accumbens and caudate putamenElisa Mura
Department of Experimental and Applied Pharmacology, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Alzheimers Dis 19:1041-53. 2010..Abeta (1-40) on DA transmission to different release stimuli and to another dopaminergic brain area, the caudate putamen (CPu), in order to clarify whether the effect of the peptide is stimulus- or brain area-selective...
- Increased xanthine oxidase in the thalamus and putamen in depressionTanja Maria Michel
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
World J Biol Psychiatry 11:314-20. 2010..We measured the XO activity in following brain areas: hippocampus, regio entorhinalis, thalamus, putamen and caudate nucleus...
- Dopamine transporter genotype influences N-acetyl-aspartate in the left putamenHarald Scherk
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Georg August University Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
World J Biol Psychiatry 10:524-30. 2009..alters the metabolic ratios NAA/Cho, NAA/Cr, Cho/Cr and Ins/Cr in the left dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, anterior cingulate cortex, and putamen in healthy subjects and psychiatric patients irrespective of clinical diagnosis.
- Event-related desynchronization/synchronization in the putamen. An SEEG case studyD Sochurkova
First Department of Neurology, St Anne s Hospital, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Exp Brain Res 149:401-4. 2003..An electrode that was targeted in the amygdalo-hippocampal complex passed through the putamen with several contacts...
- Usefulness of combined fractional anisotropy and apparent diffusion coefficient values for detection of involvement in multiple system atrophyMizuki Ito
Department of Neurology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai cho Showa ku, Nagoya 466 8550, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 78:722-8. 2007....
- Functional neural correlates of psychometric schizotypy: an fMRI study of antisaccadesDésirée S Aichert
Department of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Psychophysiology 49:345-56. 2012..reduced blood oxygenation level dependent signal and higher schizotypy were found during antisaccades in the putamen, thalamus, cerebellum, and visual cortex and during prosaccades in the visual cortex, supplementary eye field, ..
- Clinical and magnetic resonance imaging study of extrapyramidal symptoms in multiple system atrophyM Konagaya
Department of Neurology, Suzuka National Hospital, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 57:1528-31. 1994Slit-hyperintensity in the outer margin of the putamen on T2 weighted MRI was found in 17 out of 28 patients with clinically diagnosed multiple system atrophy. Thirteen of these 17 patients showed extrapyramidal signs...
- Hyperintense putaminal rim sign is not a hallmark of multiple system atrophy at 3TWei Hsing Lee
Department of Radiology, Neuro Medical Scientific Center, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Hualien, Taiwan, Republic of China
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 26:2238-42. 2005..We hypothesized that the HPR sign is not an exclusive hallmark of MSA at a high magnetic field strength, but rather may be a normal finding...
- [3H]4-(dimethylamino)-N-(4-(4-(2-methoxyphenyl)piperazin-1-yl) butyl)benzamide: a selective radioligand for dopamine D(3) receptors. II. Quantitative analysis of dopamine D(3) and D(2) receptor density ratio in the caudate-putamenJinbin Xu
Department of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Synapse 64:449-59. 2010..A mathematical model for calculating the absolute densities of dopamine D(2) and D(3) receptors based on the in vitro receptor binding data of [3H]WC-10 and [3H]raclopride was developed...
- Hyperactive putamen in patients with paroxysmal kinesigenic choreoathetosis: a resting-state functional magnetic resonance imaging studyBo Zhou
Department of Neurology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, People s Republic of China
Mov Disord 25:1226-31. 2010..The whole brain analysis indicated that the patient group had significantly increased ALFF in the bilateral putamen (P < 0.005) than normal control. fMRI could be useful to evaluate PKC with negative conventional imaging...
- Effect of acute and continuous morphine treatment on transcription factor expression in subregions of the rat caudate putamen. Marked modulation by D4 receptor activationBelen Gago
Department of Cell Biology, School of Science, University of Malaga, 29071 Malaga, Spain
Brain Res 1407:47-61. 2011..induces a down-regulation of the μ opioid receptor (MOR) in the striosomal compartment of the rat caudate putamen (CPu), suggesting a striosomal D(4)R/MOR receptor interaction in line with their high co-distribution in this ..
- Interregional variation of longitudinal relaxation rates in human brain at 3.0 T: relation to estimated iron and water contentsN Gelman
Department of Neurology, Henry Ford Hospital and Health Sciences Center, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Magn Reson Med 45:71-9. 2001..567 +/- 0.020 sec(-1)), caudate head (0.675 +/- 0.019 sec(-1)), putamen (0.749 +/- 0.023 sec(-1)), substantia nigra (0.873 +/- 0.037 sec(-1)), globus pallidus (0.960 +/- 0...
- AAV2-mediated gene delivery to monkey putamen: evaluation of an infusion device and delivery parametersLaura M Sanftner
Avigen Inc, 1301 Harbor Bay Parkway, Alameda, CA 94502, USA
Exp Neurol 194:476-83. 2005..AAV2 encoding the human aromatic l-amino acid decarboxylase gene (AAV-hAADC-2) was infused into the putamen of 4 normal rhesus monkeys as a supportive study for a clinical trial in Parkinson's disease (PD) patients...
- Increase of preproenkephalin mRNA levels in the putamen of Parkinson disease patients with levodopa-induced dyskinesiasFrederic Calon
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Laval University Medical Center CHUL, Quebec, Canada
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 61:186-96. 2002..A significant increase of preproenkephalin messenger RNA levels was observed in the lateral putamen of dyskinetic patients in comparison to controls (+210%; p < 0...
- Postnatal development of dopamine and serotonin transporters in rat caudate-putamen and nucleus accumbens septiF I Tarazi
Mailman Research Center, McLean Division of Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School Belmont 02178, USA
Neurosci Lett 254:21-4. 1998Density of dopamine transporter (DAT) and serotonin transporter (5-HTT) membrane proteins in the caudate-putamen (CPu) and nucleus accumbens (NAc) of rat brain was assessed at seven ages at postnatal days (PD) 7-60, by in vitro ..
- Phosphorus and proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy demonstrates mitochondrial dysfunction in early and advanced Parkinson's diseaseElke Hattingen
Institute of Neuroradiology, J W Goethe University Schleusenweg 2 16, 60528 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Brain 132:3285-97. 2009..In the putamen and midbrain of both Parkinson's disease groups, we found a bilateral reduction of high-energy phosphates such as ..
- The location of persistent amphetamine-induced changes in the density of dendritic spines on medium spiny neurons in the nucleus accumbens and caudate-putamenYilin Li
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience Program, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1082-5. 2003..of this study was two-fold: (1) to determine whether amphetamine has similar effects on MSNs in the caudate-putamen (CPu) and (2) to determine if this effect is localized to distal dendrites, the site of convergence of dopamine (..
- Effects of the perivascular space on convection-enhanced delivery of liposomes in primate putamenMichal T Krauze
Department of Neurological Surgery, Laboratory of Molecular Therapeutics, University of California, 1855 Folsom Street, Room 226, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
Exp Neurol 196:104-11. 2005..MR method for monitoring CED delivery of liposomes in primate CNS allowed us to closely monitor infusions of putamen. Our findings indicate that CED in putamen is associated with perivascular transport of liposomes, throughout CNS ..
- Theta burst stimulation-induced inhibition of dorsolateral prefrontal cortex reveals hemispheric asymmetry in striatal dopamine release during a set-shifting task: a TMS-[(11)C]raclopride PET studyJi H Ko
Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Eur J Neurosci 28:2147-55. 2008..cTBS of the left DLPFC impaired MCST performance and dopamine release in the ipsilateral caudate-anterior putamen and contralateral caudate nucleus, as compared to cTBS of the vertex (control)...
- Cortical and putamen age-related changes in the microvessel density and astrocyte deficiency in spontaneously hypertensive and stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive ratsMarie Françoise Ritz
Department of Biomedicine, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Curr Neurovasc Res 6:279-87. 2009..SP-SHR) as a models for SVD, we analysed the effect of hypertension on the microvasculature in the cortex and putamen, and on its relationship with astrocytes in animals aged 2 to 9 months...
- Different neural correlates of reward expectation and reward expectation error in the putamen and caudate nucleus during stimulus-action-reward association learningMasahiko Haruno
Department of Cognitive Neuroscience Computational Neuroscience Labs, Advanced Telecommunication Research Institute, Sorakugun, Kyoto 619 0288, Japan
J Neurophysiol 95:948-59. 2006..However, the putamen and caudate nucleus are embedded in distinct cortico-striatal loop circuits, predominantly connected to motor-..
- Progression of putaminal degeneration in multiple system atrophy: a serial diffusion MR studyKlaus Seppi
Department of Neurology, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Neuroimage 31:240-5. 2006By using diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI), we have recently shown abnormal diffusivity in the putamen of patients with the Parkinson variant of multiple system atrophy (MSA-P) which also correlated with disease severity, indicating the ..
- Transcriptional changes in multiple system atrophy and Parkinson's disease putamenIna R Vogt
Department of Neurology, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Exp Neurol 199:465-78. 2006..in MSA, we chose CNS regions differentially affected in MSA and PD for comparative gene expression profiling: putamen, cerebellum and occipital cortex...
- Ultrastructural localization of the CB1 cannabinoid receptor in mu-opioid receptor patches of the rat Caudate putamen nucleusJ J Rodriguez
Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Division of Neurobiology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Neurosci 21:823-33. 2001..subtype 1 receptor (CB1R) and the mu-opioid receptor (muOR), in the striatal circuitry originating in the caudate putamen nucleus (CPN). Thus, the CB1R and muOR may show similar targeting in the CPN...
- Neuronal encoding of reward value and direction of actions in the primate putamenYukiko Hori
Department of Physiology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kamigyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
J Neurophysiol 102:3530-43. 2009..To address this issue, we investigated the activities of presumed projection neurons in the putamen of macaque monkeys performing a visually instructed GO-NOGO button-press task for large and small rewards...
- Topography of putaminal degeneration in multiple system atrophy: a diffusion magnetic resonance studyKlaus Seppi
Department of Neurology, Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
Mov Disord 21:847-52. 2006..neuropathologic evidence that, in early stages of the Parkinson variant of multiple system atrophy (MSA-P), the putamen shows a distinct topographical pathology affecting predominantly the dorsolateral and caudal regions while ..
- Localization of nerve growth factor, neurotrophin-3, and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in nestin-expressing reactive astrocytes in the caudate-putamen of 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-treated C57/Bl miceLiang Wei Chen
Institute of Neurosciences, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an 710032, People s Republic of China
J Comp Neurol 497:898-909. 2006..B staining, and this was accompanied by an increase in nestin-expressing astrocytes within the caudate-putamen. The number of nestin-positive reactive astrocytes in the caudate-putamen peaked within 3-5 days following MPTP ..
- Increased activity of mitochondrial aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) in the putamen of individuals with Alzheimer's disease: a human postmortem studyTanja Maria Michel
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
J Alzheimers Dis 19:1295-301. 2010..We found that the mitochondrial ALDH activity was significantly increased only in the putamen of patients suffering from AD compared to controls...
- An fMRI motor activation paradigm demonstrates abnormalities of putamen activation in females with panic disorderWilliam R Marchand
Department of Veterans Affairs VISN 19 MIRECC, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
J Affect Disord 116:121-5. 2009The neurobiology of panic disorder is incompletely understood. The aim of this study was to determine if functional abnormalities of the putamen occur in panic disorder.
- Effect of chronic "binge cocaine" on basal levels and cocaine-induced increases of dopamine in the caudate putamen and nucleus accumbens of C57BL/6J and 129/J miceYong Zhang
Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Synapse 50:191-9. 2003..of chronic "binge" pattern cocaine administration on basal and cocaine-induced dopamine levels in the caudate putamen and nucleus accumbens of C57BL/6J and 129/J mice...
- Atrophy of the putamen in dementia with Lewy bodies but not Alzheimer's disease: an MRI studyD A Cousins
Institute for Ageing and Health, Wolfson Research Centre, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Neurology 61:1191-5. 2003To compare the volume of the putamen on MRI in subjects with Alzheimer's disease (AD) and dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB) and age-matched normal control subjects, along with the relationship between putamen volume and severity of both ..
- T2*-weighted MRI in diagnosis of multiple system atrophy. A practical approach for cliniciansFriederike von Lewinski
Paracelsus Elena Klinik, Klinikstr 16, 34128 Kassel, Germany
J Neurol 254:1184-8. 2007..T2*-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) gradient echo (GE) sequences are sensitive for paramagnetic susceptibility changes and therefore may support the clinical differential diagnosis between MSA and PD...
- Acute 'binge' cocaine administration elevates dynorphin mRNA in the caudate putamen of C57BL/6J but not 129/J miceStefan D Schlussman
The Laboratory on the Biology of Addictive Diseases, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Brain Res 974:249-53. 2003Preprodynorphin mRNA was measured in the nucleus accumbens (NAc) and caudate putamen (CPu) after 3-day 'binge' pattern cocaine administration in C57BL/6J and 129/J mice, strains which differ in behavior and in dopamine increases in the ..
- Disorganized somatotopy in the putamen of patients with focal hand dystoniaC Delmaire
Department of Neuroradiology, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Neurology 64:1391-6. 2005..To explore the selectivity of neuronal somatotopic representation in the striatum of patients with unilateral task-specific dystonia of the right arm...
- Effects of the antipsychotic risperidone on dopamine synthesis in human brain measured by positron emission tomography with L-[beta-11C]DOPA: a stabilizing effect for dopaminergic neurotransmission?Hiroshi Ito
Molecular Imaging Center, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage Ku, Chiba, Japan
J Neurosci 29:13730-4. 2009..The therapeutic effects of risperidone in schizophrenia might be related to such stabilizing effects on dopaminergic neurotransmission responsivity...
- Behavioral effects of somatostatin microinjected into caudate putamenR Tashev
Laboratory of Experimental Psychopharmacology, Institute of Physiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
Neuropeptides 35:271-5. 2001..present study examined the behavioral responses to bilateral microinjections of somatostatin (SRIF) into caudate putamen of male Wistar rats...
- Field strengths and sequences influence putaminal MRI findings in multiple system atrophyH Watanabe
Department of Neurology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Neurology 62:671. 2004
- Modulation of neuronal activity in the monkey putamen associated with changes in the habitual order of sequential movementsMarc Deffains
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie de la Cognition, Université de Provence Centre National de la Recherche Scientifque, Marseille, France
J Neurophysiol 104:1355-69. 2010..We recorded single neurons in the posterior putamen of two monkeys performing an overlearned sequence of arm reaching movements to examine whether task-related ..
- Reading aloud boosts connectivity through the putamenMohamed L Seghier
Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, Institute of Neurology, UCL, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Cereb Cortex 20:570-82. 2010Functional neuroimaging and lesion studies have frequently reported thalamic and putamen activation during reading and speech production...
- Mitochondrial abnormalities in the putamen in Parkinson's disease dyskinesiaAlipi V Naydenov
Department of Pharmacology and Psychiatry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, 37232 8548, USA
Acta Neuropathol 120:623-31. 2010..We hypothesized that bioenergetic function in the putamen might play a crucial role in the development of dyskinesias...
- Adrenomedullin over-expression in the caudate-putamen of the adult rat brain after ischaemia-reperfusion injuryJuan Manuel Encinas
Department of Neuroanatomy and Cell Biology, Instituto de Neurobiología Ramón y Cajal, CSIC, Avenida Doctor del Arce 37, 28002 Madrid, Spain
Neurosci Lett 329:197-200. 2002The expression of adrenomedullin (AM) was studied in the caudate-putamen of the adult rat brain using a global cerebral ischaemia model...
- Dysarthria, progressive parkinsonian features and symmetric necrosis of putamen in a family with painful lipomas (Dercum disease variant)M Kyllerman
Section of Neuropediatrics, The Queen Silvia Children s Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Neuropediatrics 33:69-72. 2002..MRI showed bilateral increasing cystic lesions in the basal parts of the putamen. No other abnormalities were detected...
- Dopamine turnover is upregulated in the caudate/putamen of asymptomatic MPTP-treated rhesus monkeysChristian Pifl
Center for Brain Research, Medical University of Vienna, Spitalgasse 4, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Neurochem Int 49:519-24. 2006..We found that in the asymptomatic MPTP monkeys the DOPAC/DA ratios in putamen and caudate nucleus were shifted with high statistical significance 1.9-5...
- Real-time glutamate measurements in the putamen of awake rhesus monkeys using an enzyme-based human microelectrode array prototypeMichelle L Stephens
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Kentucky Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40536 0098, USA
J Neurosci Methods 185:264-72. 2010..array prototype (Spencer-Gerhardt-2 (SG-2)) to measure tonic and phasic glutamate neurotransmission in the putamen of unanesthetized non-human primates. We also showed that the SG-2 remains functional following sterilization...
- Putaminal lesion in multiple system atrophy: postmortem MR-pathological correlationsEiji Matsusue
Department of Pathophysiological and Therapeutic Science, Division of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Tottori Prefecture, Japan
Neuroradiology 50:559-67. 2008..Posterior putaminal atrophy, putaminal T2-hyper and/or hyposignal changes have been observed in patients with multiple system atrophy (MSA) with parkinsonism...
- Effects of monoamine uptake inhibitors given early postnatally on monoamines in the brain stem, caudate/putamen and cortex, and on dopamine D1 and D2 receptors in the caudate/putamenI Hilakivi
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Neural Transm Gen Sect 102:139-48. 1995..9% sodium chloride once a day during the second and third weeks after birth, and brain stem, caudate/putamen and cortical monoamines, and caudate/putamen dopamine D1 (3[H]SCH 23390) and D2 (3[H]spiroperidol) receptor ..
- Putaminal abnormality on 3-T magnetic resonance imaging in early parkinsonism-predominant multiple system atrophyJee Young Lee
Department of Neurology, Seoul National University Boramae Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Neurol 257:2065-70. 2010..as presence of atrophy, signal hypointensity, and abnormal disruption of the hyperintense lateral rim of the putamen. The sum scores for putaminal abnormality were calculated from the presence of each item...
- The neural basis of central proprioceptive processing in older versus younger adults: an important sensory role for right putamenDaniel J Goble
Motor Control Laboratory, Research Center for Movement Control and Neuroplasticity, Department of Biomedical Kinesiology, K U Leuven, Belgium
Hum Brain Mapp 33:895-908. 2012..A significant decrease in neural activity was also found in a cluster of right putamen voxels for the older age group when compared with the younger age group...
- Increased putamen and callosal motor subregion in treatment-naïve boys with Tourette syndrome indicates changes in the bihemispheric motor networkVeit Roessner
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University Medical Centre, Dresden, Germany
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 52:306-14. 2011..In the present study, these confounders were excluded to identify differences in basal ganglia and corpus callosum size that can be ascribed more probably to Tourette syndrome per se...
- Striatal dopamine release during unrewarded motor task in human volunteersRajendra D Badgaiyan
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Neuroreport 14:1421-4. 2003..Rapid displacement of the ligand from the posterior putamen and the caudate immediately after the task initiation suggested striatal dopamine release during task performance...
- Amphetamine-evoked c-fos mRNA expression in the caudate-putamen: the effects of DA and NMDA receptor antagonists vary as a function of neuronal phenotype and environmental contextSusan M Ferguson
Neuroscience Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
J Neurochem 86:33-44. 2003..is thought to be critical for psychostimulant drugs to induce immediate early genes (IEGs) in the caudate-putamen (CPu)...
- Multiple regional 1H-MR spectroscopy in multiple system atrophy: NAA/Cr reduction in pontine base as a valuable diagnostic markerH Watanabe
Department of Neurology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:103-9. 2004..We performed (1)H-MR spectroscopy ((1)H-MRS) on multiple brain regions to determine the metabolite pattern and diagnostic utility of (1)H-MRS in multiple system atrophy (MSA)...
- Quetiapine reverses altered locomotor activity and tyrosine hydroxylase immunoreactivity in rat caudate putamen following long-term haloperidol treatmentYanbo Zhang
Neuropsychiatry Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 103 Wiggins Rd, Saskatoon, Sask S7N 5E4, Canada
Neurosci Lett 420:66-71. 2007..of HAL caused significant increase in locomotor activity and lower levels of TH immunoreactivity in the caudate putamen of the striatum...
- Dopamine is released in the striatum during human emotional processingRajendra D Badgaiyan
Department of Psychiatry, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY, USA
Neuroreport 21:1172-6. 2010..Analysis of the data indicated that the task performance is associated with dopamine release in the head of caudate and in the dorsal putamen bilaterally.
- Localization of ionotropic glutamate receptors in caudate-putamen and nucleus accumbens septi of rat brain: comparison of NMDA, AMPA, and kainate receptorsF I Tarazi
Mailman Research Center, McLean Division of Massachusetts General Hospital, Belmont 02178, USA
Synapse 30:227-35. 1998..3H]MK-801), AMPA ([3H]CNQX), and kainate ([3H]kainic acid) glutamate (GLU) ionotropic receptors in rat caudate-putamen (CPu) and nucleus accumbens (NAc) were examined by quantitative autoradiography following: 1) unilateral surgical ..
- Putamen FDOPA uptake and its relationship tot cognitive functioning in PDMarije van Beilen
Department of Neurology, University Medical Center Groningen, The Netherlands
J Neurol Sci 248:68-71. 2006..The putamen is part of the motor loop, while the caudate nucleus is part of the motor loop but also of the cognitive loop...
- Caudate and putamen volumes in good and poor outcome patients with schizophreniaMonte S Buchsbaum
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Box 1505, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
Schizophr Res 64:53-62. 2003..The caudate nucleus and putamen were traced on axial slices from the most superior extent of the caudate to the most inferior point where the ..
- Dopaminergic modulation of neuronal activity in the monkey putamen through D1 and D2 receptors during a delayed Go/Nogo taskM Inase
Supermolecular Science Division, Electrotechnical Laboratory, Tsukuba, Japan
Exp Brain Res 117:207-18. 1997Using multibarreled glass micropipettes, we recorded single-unit activity in the putamen, and iontopho retically applied D1 and D2 dopamine receptor agonists (SKF38393, quinpirole) and antagonists (SCH23390, sulpiride) while two monkeys ..
- Reduced volume of the putamen in REM sleep behavior disorder patientsTimothy M Ellmore
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Texas Houston Medical School, MSB 7 044, 6431 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 16:645-9. 2010..We hypothesized that REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) patients, at risk for developing PD, will demonstrate a pattern of neuronal degeneration reflected in reduced striatal volumes on T1-weighted MRI...
- Hemichorea-hemiballism associated with hyperintense putamen on T1-weighted MR images: an update and a hypothesisDin E Shan
Neurological Institute, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Acta Neurol Taiwan 13:170-7. 2004In 1998 some patients with hyperglycemia-related hemichorea-hemiballism have been reported with a hyperintense putamen on T1-weighted MR images, presumably resulting from petechial hemorrhage...
- Poor outcome in chronic schizophrenia is associated with progressive loss of volume of the putamenSerge A Mitelman
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Schizophr Res 113:241-5. 2009..Present longitudinal study was designed to investigate progressive differences in striatal volumes among chronic schizophrenia patients with different outcomes and healthy subjects...
- A follow-up study on 6-[18F]fluoro-L-dopa uptake in early Parkinson's disease shows nonlinear progression in the putamenAnna Brück
Turku PET Centre, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Mov Disord 24:1009-15. 2009..Throughout the study, the smallest Fdopa uptake values were found in the dorso-caudal part of the putamen contralateral to the side with dominant motor symptoms...
- Hyperintense putaminal rim at 3T reflects fewer ferritin deposits in the lateral marginal area of the putamenS Fujii
Division of Radiology, Department of Pathophysiological and Therapeutic Science, Institute of Neurological Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:777-81. 2007..The aim of this study was to clarify the cause of hyperintense putaminal rim (HPR) on the basis of 3T MR imaging-pathologic correlations...
- Origins of GABA(A) and GABA(B) receptor-mediated responses of globus pallidus induced after stimulation of the putamen in the monkeyHitoshi Kita
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine, University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
J Neurosci 26:6554-62. 2006..Here, we characterized the responses of pallidal neurons to single and burst stimulation of the putamen (Put) in awake monkeys...
- Effects of acute cocaine on ERK and DARPP-32 phosphorylation pathways in the caudate-putamen of Fischer ratsWei Lun Sun
Department of Psychology, Hunter College, City University of New York, 695 Park Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
Brain Res 1178:12-9. 2007..element-binding protein (CREB) kinase, pp90 ribosomal S6 kinase (RSK), and c-Fos protein levels in the caudate/putamen of Fischer rats...
- Dopamine D2 and D3 receptors in human putamen, caudate nucleus, and globus pallidusPhilip Seeman
Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, King s College Circle, Medical Sciences Building, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
Synapse 60:205-11. 2006..This method revealed that these two radioligands detected only D2 receptors in the dorsal putamen and the dorsal caudate nucleus, but detected a mixed population of two-thirds D2 and one-third D3 DA receptors in ..
- Focal putamen lesions impair learning in rule-based, but not information-integration categorization tasksShawn W Ell
Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute and Psychology Department, University of California, Berkeley 94720 1650, United States
Neuropsychologia 44:1737-51. 2006..Patients with basal ganglia lesions centered in the putamen (6 left side, 1 right side) were tested on rule-based and information-integration visual categorization tasks...
- Striatal dopamine release in sequential learningRajendra D Badgaiyan
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Neuroimage 38:549-56. 2007..that the task induces release of endogenous dopamine in the posterior two-third of dorsomedial aspect of left putamen and the anterior part of the body of caudate bilaterally...
- Putamen coactivation during motor task executionWilliam R Marchand
Department of Veterans Affairs, VISN 19 MIRECC, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
Neuroreport 19:957-60. 2008..During the completion of a unilateral motor task with either hand, each putamen nucleus demonstrated strong coactivation with structures in both hemispheres...
- Dopamine D2 receptors are present in prefrontal cortical afferents and their targets in patches of the rat caudate-putamen nucleusHong Wang
Division of Neurobiology, Department of Neurology and Neuroscience, Joan and Sanford I Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Comp Neurol 442:392-404. 2002..neurons of the substantia nigra pars compacta preferentially terminate in patch-like regions within the caudate putamen nucleus (CPN)...
- Molecular Mechanisms Controlling Formation of Basal Ganglia CircuitryKENNETH J CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The major component of the basal ganglia, the striatum (or caudate-putamen) processes cortical inputs and subsequently regulates the output nuclei of the basal ganglia through two output ..
- EMBRYONIC DOPAMINE CELL IMPLANTS FOR PARKINSONISMCurt Freed; Fiscal Year: 2005..received cultured mesencephalic tissue from four embryos along four 30 to 40 mm needle tracts bilaterally in the putamen. Control patients had burr holes but no actual implantations. No patients were immunosuppressed...
- COCAINE INDUCED OPIOID, DOPAMINE AND BEHAVIORAL CHANGESELLEN UNTERWALD; Fiscal Year: 2002..cyclase activity will be assessed by measuring the accumulation of cAMP in the nucleus accumbens, caudate putamen, and olfactory tubercle...
- Roles of Gsh1 & Gsh2 in Telencephalic NeurogenesisKENNETH J CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..One of the major telencephalic structures controlling these processes is the striatum (also known as the caudate-putamen)...
- Thalamostriatal System in ParkinsonismTHOMAS N WICHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Projections from the CM terminate in the putamen, completing a movement-related trans-thalamic feedback loop by which basal ganglia output may act to shape ..
- Roles of Gsh1 & 2 genes in telencephalic neurogenesisKenneth Campbell; Fiscal Year: 2006..regions controlling these processes are the cerebral cortex and the striatum (also known as the caudate-putamen)...
- NEURAL CONTROL OF HUMAN VOLUNTARY MOVEMENTSJerome Sanes; Fiscal Year: 2001..Human subjects with two types of pathology-Parkinson's disease (ON and OFF dopaminergic medication) and focal putamen lesion-will be studied to test hypotheses that the basal ganglia: (1) calibrate muscle activity during changing ..
- NEURAL CONTROL OF VOLUNTARY MOVEMENTSJerome Sanes; Fiscal Year: 1993..Human subjects with two types of pathology-Parkinson's disease (ON and OFF dopaminergic medication) and focal putamen lesion-will be studied to test hypotheses that the basal ganglia: (1) calibrate muscle activity during changing ..
- CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF EMOTION AND ATTENTIONPeter Lang; Fiscal Year: 2007..of conditioned fear whereas infusion of comparable doses into the central (Ce), basolateral (Bla) or caudate-putamen had no effect...
- Pre-Clinical Trial of MSC-Based Therapy for CNS DiseaseDONALD PHINNEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..from bone marrow, referred to as mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) will be injected unilaterally into the caudate putamen of infant rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta) using stereotaxic coordinates determined by MRI...
- Neostriatal Visual Processing & Initiation of MovementEmad Eskandar; Fiscal Year: 2005..The input nuclei of the basal ganglia in primates include the caudate and putamen. The output nuclei include the Gpi and the substantia nigra pars reticulata...
- Dopaminergic Mechanisms of Cytokine-Induced Behavioral ChangeAndrew H Miller; Fiscal Year: 2010..ganglia glucose metabolism and increased uptake of the DA precursor, [18F]fluorodopa (FDOPA), in caudate and putamen. To further characterize these IFN-alpha effects on DA pathways, we have recently developed an animal model of ..
- Schizophrenia Data and Software Tool Federation using BIRN InfrastructureLei Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., hippocampus, amygdala, thalamus, caudate nucleus, nucleus accumbens, putamen and globus pallidus)...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2007..By contrast, PV neuron number and density were decreased in the Caudate (Cd), Putamen (Pt) and insular cerebral cortex in the same TS subjects...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora M Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2010..By contrast, PV neuron number and density were decreased in the Caudate (Cd), Putamen (Pt) and insular cerebral cortex in the same TS subjects...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2009..By contrast, PV neuron number and density were decreased in the Caudate (Cd), Putamen (Pt) and insular cerebral cortex in the same TS subjects...
- IRON DEFICIENCY AND DOPAMINEJohn Beard; Fiscal Year: 2000..determine if regional brain iron deficiency alters the release and re-uptake of DA in synaptosomes from caudate-putamen and to determine if the number of functioning transporter mRNA for these transporters are altered, 3) determine ..
- THE CONNECTIONAL ORGANIZATION OF THE THALAMUSJOHN HARTING; Fiscal Year: 2001The centromedian nucleus (CM-Pf) projects to striatal (caudate and putamen) neurons that are key components of basal ganglia pathways that regulate movement...
- Basal Ganglia Functions in Huntington's Disease: Genetic Mouse ModelsElizabeth D Abercrombie; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the brain are the cerebral cortex and the subcortical nuclei of the basal ganglia, in particular the caudate/putamen. There currently is no satisfactory therapy for the disease and the hope for a cure remains distant despite the ..
- EM-TRANSMITTER INTERACTIONS OF STRIATAL OPIOID NEURONSVIRGINIA PICKEL; Fiscal Year: 2001Endogenous opiate peptides (enkephalins and dynorphin) within the dorsal (caudate-putamen nuclei, CPN) and ventral (nucleus accumbens septi) striatum have been implicated in motor and sensory responses to peripheral stimuli and in the ..