Genomes and Genes
Summary: The representation of the phylogenetically oldest part of the corpus striatum called the paleostriatum. It forms the smaller, more medial part of the lentiform nucleus.
Publications190 found, 100 shown here
- Synchronized neuronal discharge in the basal ganglia of parkinsonian patients is limited to oscillatory activityRon Levy
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
J Neurosci 22:2855-61. 2002..To examine this hypothesis, we looked for correlations in the discharge activity of pairs of neurons in the globus pallidus internus (GPi), globus pallidus externus (GPe), and the substantia nigra pars reticulata (SNr)...
- [Surgery for Parkinson's disease]A Kaelin-Lang
Zentrum für Bewegungsstörungen, Neurologische Klinik, Universitatsspital, Bern
Ther Umsch 64:21-7. 2007..But DBS of the Globus pallidus internus and of the thalamus should still be considered in selected patients...
- Stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus changes the firing pattern of pallidal neuronsTakao Hashimoto
Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Neurosci 23:1916-23. 2003..we investigated the effects of STN HFS on neuronal activity of the internal and external segment of the globus pallidus (GPi and GPe, respectively) in two rhesus monkeys rendered parkinsonian by administration of 1-methyl-4-..
- Dopamine regulates the impact of the cerebral cortex on the subthalamic nucleus-globus pallidus networkP J Magill
Medical Research Council Anatomical Neuropharmacology Unit, University of Oxford, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3TH, UK
Neuroscience 106:313-30. 2001The subthalamic nucleus-globus pallidus network plays a central role in basal ganglia function and dysfunction...
- Effects of high-frequency stimulation in the internal globus pallidus on the activity of thalamic neurons in the awake monkeyMarjorie E Anderson
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
J Neurophysiol 89:1150-60. 2003The reduction in symptoms of Parkinson's disease produced by high-frequency stimulation (HFS) in the internal globus pallidus (GPi) has been proposed to be due to stimulus-induced inactivation of pallidal neurons and resulting ..
- Parkinsonian beta oscillations in the external globus pallidus and their relationship with subthalamic nucleus activityNicolas Mallet
Medical Research Council Anatomical Neuropharmacology Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3TH, UK
J Neurosci 28:14245-58. 2008..network substrates underlying these exaggerated beta oscillations are unknown but activity in the external globus pallidus (GP), which forms a candidate pacemaker network with STN, might be of particular importance...
- Move to the rhythm: oscillations in the subthalamic nucleus-external globus pallidus networkMark D Bevan
Dept of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Tennessee, Memphis 38163, USA
Trends Neurosci 25:525-31. 2002..processes at the levels of single neurons and neuronal networks in the subthalamic nucleus (STN) and external globus pallidus (GPe) are associated with the operation of the basal ganglia in health and in Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Neural circuits containing pallidotegmental GABAergic neurons are involved in the prepulse inhibition of the startle reflex in miceKenji Takahashi
Laboratory of Neuropsychopharmacology, Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
Biol Psychiatry 62:148-57. 2007..We attempted to clarify the neuronal circuits underlying the control of PPI of the startle reflex in mice...
- Deep brain stimulation of the globus pallidus internus in the parkinsonian primate: local entrainment and suppression of low-frequency oscillationsKevin W McCairn
Department of Neurobiology, University of Pittsburgh, 4047 BST 3, 3501 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Neurophysiol 101:1941-60. 2009..seek to account for the therapeutic effects of high-frequency deep brain stimulation (DBS) of the internal globus pallidus (GPi) for medically intractable Parkinson's disease...
- Functional characterization of GABAergic pallidopallidal and striatopallidal synapses in the rat globus pallidus in vitroRobert E Sims
Biomedical Sciences, School of Life and Health Sciences, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
Eur J Neurosci 28:2401-8. 2008As a central integrator of basal ganglia function, the external segment of the globus pallidus (GP) plays a critical role in the control of voluntary movement...
- Testing basal ganglia motor functions through reversible inactivations in the posterior internal globus pallidusM Desmurget
Department of Neurobiology, Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition, University of Pittsburgh, 3501 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Neurophysiol 99:1057-76. 2008..control, we examined the effects of muscimol-induced inactivations in the skeletomotor region of the internal globus pallidus (sGPi) on visually directed reaching...
- The globus pallidus sends reward-related signals to the lateral habenulaSimon Hong
Laboratory of Sensorimotor Research, National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, 49 Convent Drive, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Neuron 60:720-9. 2008As a major output station of the basal ganglia, the globus pallidus internal segment (GPi) projects to the thalamus and brainstem nuclei thereby controlling motor behavior...
- Firing patterns and correlations of spontaneous discharge of pallidal neurons in the normal and the tremulous 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine vervet model of parkinsonismA Raz
Department of Physiology, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, 91120, Israel
J Neurosci 20:8559-71. 2000..hand tremor and simultaneous activity of several neurons in the external and internal segments of the globus pallidus (GPe and GPi) in two vervet monkeys, before and after systemic treatment with 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-..
- Temporal and spatial alterations in GPi neuronal encoding might contribute to slow down movement in Parkinsonian monkeysArthur Leblois
Basal Gang, Laboratoire de Neurophysiologie, CNRS UMR 5543, Universite Victor Segalen, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Eur J Neurosci 24:1201-8. 2006..been proposed that bradykinesia (motor slowness) is related either to a modification of the activity of the globus pallidus internalis (GPi), the main output structure, or to a loss of spatial selectivity of the extrapyramidal motor ..
- Morphological changes in serotoninergic neurites in the striatum and globus pallidus in levodopa primed MPTP treated common marmosets with dyskinesiaBai Yun Zeng
NDRG, School of Biomedical and Health Sciences, King s College, London, UK
Neurobiol Dis 40:599-607. 2010..axon varicosities was noted in the dorsal caudate and putamen of MPTP-intoxicated monkeys but not the globus pallidus. In MPTP-intoxicated marmosets that had received chronic levodopa treatment to induce dyskinesia, a further ..
- Stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus compared with the globus pallidus internus in patients with Parkinson diseaseAntonella Peppe
Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Fondazione Santa Lucia, Clinica Neurologica and Servizio di Neurofisiopatologia Policlinico, Universita Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
J Neurosurg 101:195-200. 2004The authors compared the effects of deep brain stimulation (DBS) in the globus pallidus internus (GPi) with those in the subthalamic nucleus (STN) in patients with Parkinson disease (PD) in whom electrodes had been bilaterally implanted ..
- Short-term depression of synaptic transmission during stimulation in the globus pallidus of 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-treated primatesYaara Erez
Gonda Brain Research Center, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
J Neurosci 29:7797-802. 2009High-frequency stimulation (HFS) in the globus pallidus is used to ameliorate clinical symptoms of Parkinson's disease, dystonia, and other disorders...
- Dopamine replacement therapy reverses abnormal synchronization of pallidal neurons in the 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine primate model of parkinsonismGali Heimer
Department of Physiology, the Interdisciplinary Center for Neural Computation and the Eric Roland Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, 91120 Israel
J Neurosci 22:7850-5. 2002..After MPTP treatment, firing rates decreased in the external segment of the globus pallidus (GP(e)) and increased in the internal segment (GP(i))...
- A basal ganglia pacemaker formed by the subthalamic nucleus and external globus pallidusD Plenz
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Tennessee, College of Medicine, Memphis 38163, USA
Nature 400:677-82. 1999..Here we show that the excitatory STN and inhibitory, external globus pallidus (GPe) form a feedback system that engages in synchronized bursting...
- Activity patterns in a model for the subthalamopallidal network of the basal gangliaD Terman
Department of Mathematics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
J Neurosci 22:2963-76. 2002..a conductance-based computational network model of the subthalamic nucleus and the external segment of the globus pallidus in the indirect pathway of the basal ganglia...
- Effect of high-frequency stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus on the neuronal activities of the substantia nigra pars reticulata and ventrolateral nucleus of the thalamus in the ratA Benazzouz
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie Preclinique, INSERM U 318, CHU Pavillon B, BP 217, 38043, Grenoble, France
Neuroscience 99:289-95. 2000..6-hydroxydopamine lesions of the substantia nigra pars compacta (90%) or with ibotenic acid lesions of the globus pallidus (79.5%)...
- Microstimulation-induced inhibition of neuronal firing in human globus pallidusJ O Dostrovsky
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Neurophysiol 84:570-4. 2000..PD) frequently employs chronic high-frequency deep brain stimulation (DBS) within the internal segment of globus pallidus (GPi) and can very effectively reduce L-dopa-induced dyskinesias and bradykinesia, but the mechanisms are ..
- Modeling facilitation and inhibition of competing motor programs in basal ganglia subthalamic nucleus-pallidal circuitsLeonid L Rubchinsky
Center for Neuroscience and Department of Neurology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14427-32. 2003..The loss of this ability leads to hypokinesia, known PD motor deficits characterized by a slowness or inability to switch between motor programs...
- Short-term plasticity shapes the response to simulated normal and parkinsonian input patterns in the globus pallidusJesse E Hanson
Department of Biology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Neurosci 22:5164-72. 2002..To determine the role of STP in the subthalamic nucleus (STN) to globus pallidus (GP) connection, which has been suggested to underlie rhythmical bursting in Parkinson's disease, we first ..
- Subdyskinetic apomorphine responses in globus pallidus and subthalamus of parkinsonian patients: lack of clear evidence for the 'indirect pathway'A Stefani
Clinica Neurologica, Univ. di Tor Vergata, P. le Umanesimo 10, 00144 Rome, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 113:91-100. 2002....
- Effects of apomorphine on subthalamic nucleus and globus pallidus internus neurons in patients with Parkinson's diseaseR Levy
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Neurophysiol 86:249-60. 2001..agonist, on the firing activity of neurons in the subthalamic nucleus (STN) and internal segment of the globus pallidus (GPi) in patients with Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Globus pallidus internus deep brain stimulation for dystonic conditions: a prospective auditJohn Yianni
Department of Neurological Surgery, The Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, United Kingdom
Mov Disord 18:436-42. 2003In the current era of functional surgery for movement disorders, deep brain stimulation (DBS) of the globus pallidus internus (GPi) is emerging as the favoured target in the treatment of patients with dystonia...
- Chronic stimulation of the globus pallidus internus for treatment of non-dYT1 generalized dystonia and choreoathetosis: 2-year follow upJoachim K Krauss
Department of Neurology, Inselspital, University of Berne, Switzerland
J Neurosurg 98:785-92. 2003The authors studied the long-term efficacy of deep brain stimulation (DBS) of the posteroventral lateral globus pallidus internus up to 2 years postoperatively in patients with primary non-DYT1 generalized dystonia or choreoathetosis...
- Synaptically released GABA activates both pre- and postsynaptic GABA(B) receptors in the rat globus pallidusKatsuyuki Kaneda
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine, University of Tennessee, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
J Neurophysiol 94:1104-14. 2005The globus pallidus (GP) contains abundant GABAergic synapses and GABA(B) receptors...
- Functional correlations between neighboring neurons in the primate globus pallidus are weak or nonexistentIzhar Bar-Gad
Center for Neural Computation, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Neurosci 23:4012-6. 2003..basal ganglia displays topographical organization and massive funneling of neuronal projections toward the globus pallidus as well as an axonal collateral system within this nucleus...
- Neostriatal and globus pallidus stimulation induced inhibitory postsynaptic potentials in entopeduncular neurons in rat brain slice preparationsH Kita
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, The University of Tennessee Memphis, 855 Monroe Avenue, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Neuroscience 105:871-9. 2001..that the entopeduncular nucleus of the rat receives GABAergic inputs from both the neostriatum and the globus pallidus. The present study was undertaken to reveal the physiological features of these inputs using the ..
- Down-regulation of metabotropic glutamate receptor 1alpha in globus pallidus and substantia nigra of parkinsonian monkeysK Kaneda
Department of System Neuroscience, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Tokyo Metropolitan Organization for Medical Research, Fuchu, Tokyo 183-8526, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 22:3241-54. 2005..but not of other subtypes, was significantly reduced in the internal and external segments of the globus pallidus and the substantia nigra pars reticulata...
- The globus pallidus pars externa and Parkinson's disease. Ready for prime time?Jose A Obeso
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Clinica Universitaria and Medical School, and Neuroscience Centre, CIMA, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
Exp Neurol 202:1-7. 2006
- Quantifying the neural elements activated and inhibited by globus pallidus deep brain stimulationMatthew D Johnson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, ND20, Cleveland, OH, 44195, USA
J Neurophysiol 100:2549-63. 2008Deep brain stimulation (DBS) of the globus pallidus pars interna (GPi) is an effective therapy option for controlling the motor symptoms of medication-refractory Parkinson's disease and dystonia...
- HCN channelopathy in external globus pallidus neurons in models of Parkinson's diseaseC Savio Chan
Department of Physiology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nat Neurosci 14:85-92. 2011..that is traceable to the emergence of synchronous, rhythmic spiking in neurons of the external segment of the globus pallidus (GPe). The origins of this pathophysiology are poorly defined for the generation of pacemaking...
- Neuronal activity in the primate globus pallidus during smooth pursuit eye movementsAtsushi Yoshida
Department of Physiology, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Neuroreport 20:121-5. 2009..To understand whether the basal ganglia, especially the globus pallidus (GP), could play roles in pursuit, we examined the firing of individual GP neurons when monkeys performed ..
- Cognition and mood in Parkinson's disease in subthalamic nucleus versus globus pallidus interna deep brain stimulation: the COMPARE trialMichael S Okun
Movement Disorders Center, University of Florida, McKnight Brain Institute, College of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
Ann Neurol 65:586-95. 2009Our aim was to compare in a prospective blinded study the cognitive and mood effects of subthalamic nucleus (STN) vs. globus pallidus interna (GPi) deep brain stimulation (DBS) in Parkinson disease.
- Sparse but selective and potent synaptic transmission from the globus pallidus to the subthalamic nucleusJerome Baufreton
Department of Physiology, Northwestern University, 303 E Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Neurophysiol 102:532-45. 2009The reciprocally connected GABAergic globus pallidus (GP)-glutamatergic subthalamic nucleus (STN) network is critical for voluntary movement and an important site of dysfunction in movement disorders such as Parkinson's disease...
- The pharmacological blockade of medial forebrain bundle induces an acute pathological synchronization of the cortico-subthalamic nucleus-globus pallidus pathwaySalvatore Galati
Department of Neuroscience, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Roma, Italy
J Physiol 587:4405-23. 2009..Yet, in 6-hydroxydopamine-lesioned animals, the firing discharge of the globus pallidus (GP) and the substantia nigra reticulata are in phase with urethane-induced slow wave cortical activity...
- Somatotopic organization in the internal segment of the globus pallidus in Parkinson's diseaseKenneth B Baker
Department of Neurosciences, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Exp Neurol 222:219-25. 2010Ablation or deep brain stimulation in the internal segment of the globus pallidus (GPi) is an effective therapy for the treatment of Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Phase response curve analysis of a full morphological globus pallidus neuron model reveals distinct perisomatic and dendritic modes of synaptic integrationNathan W Schultheiss
Department of Biology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Neurosci 30:2767-82. 2010Synchronization of globus pallidus (GP) neurons and cortically entrained oscillations between GP and other basal ganglia nuclei are key features of the pathophysiology of Parkinson's disease...
- Conditions for the generation of beta oscillations in the subthalamic nucleus-globus pallidus networkAlejo J Nevado Holgado
Department of Computer Science, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UB, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 30:12340-52. 2010..observed in the basal ganglia arise due to interactions of two nuclei: the subthalamic nucleus (STN) and the globus pallidus pars externa (GPe)...
- Pallidal deep brain stimulation improves quality of life in segmental and generalized dystonia: results from a prospective, randomized sham-controlled trialJoerg Mueller
Mov Disord 23:131-4. 2008..The open-label extension phase resulted in a significant improvement in all SF-36 domains following 6 months of neurostimulation. These results demonstrate a favorable impact of DBS on HRQoL in primary dystonia...
- A single-cell analysis of intrinsic connectivity in the rat globus pallidusAhmed R Sadek
Medical Research Council Anatomical Neuropharmacology Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3TH, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 27:6352-62. 2007GABAergic neurons of the globus pallidus (GP) play critical roles in basal ganglia function by virtue of their widespread axonal projections to all parts of the basal ganglia. They also possess local axon collaterals...
- Globus pallidus internal segmentAtsushi Nambu
Division of System Neurophysiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, 38 Nishigo naka, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
Prog Brain Res 160:135-50. 2007The internal segment of the globus pallidus (GP(i)) gathers many bits of information including movement-related activity from the striatum, external segment of the globus pallidus (GP(e)), and subthalamic nucleus (STN), and integrates ..
- Statistical properties of pauses of the high-frequency discharge neurons in the external segment of the globus pallidusShlomo Elias
Department of Physiology, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, 91120 Jerusalem, Israel
J Neurosci 27:2525-38. 2007The neurons of many basal ganglia nuclei, including the external and internal globus pallidus (GPe and GPi, respectively) and the substantia nigra pars reticulata (SNr) are characterized by their high-frequency (50-100 spikes/s) tonic ..
- Balance of monosynaptic excitatory and disynaptic inhibitory responses of the globus pallidus induced after stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in the monkeyHitoshi Kita
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, College of Medicine, University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
J Neurosci 25:8611-9. 2005..STN) plays a pivotal role in controlling the activity of both the external and internal segments of the globus pallidus (GPe and GPi, respectively)...
- Pallidal deep-brain stimulation in primary generalized or segmental dystoniaAndreas Kupsch
, Campus Virchow, Berlin, Germany
N Engl J Med 355:1978-90. 2006BACKGROUND: Neurostimulation of the internal globus pallidus has been shown to be effective in reducing symptoms of primary dystonia. We compared this surgical treatment with sham stimulation in a randomized, controlled clinical trial...
- Distribution of DARPP-32 in the basal ganglia: an electron microscopic studyC C Ouimet
Laboratory of Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021
J Neurocytol 19:39-52. 1990..has been studied by light and electron microscopical immunocytochemistry in the rat caudatoputamen, globus pallidus and substantia nigra. In the caudatoputamen, DARPP-32 was present in neurons of the medium-sized spiny type...
- Dopamine dependency of oscillations between subthalamic nucleus and pallidum in Parkinson's diseaseP Brown
Medical Research Council Human Movement and Balance Unit, Institute of Neurology, London WCIN 3BG, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 21:1033-8. 2001..We simultaneously recorded local potentials (LPs) from the globus pallidus interna (GPi) and subthalamic nucleus (STN) in four awake patients after neurosurgery for Parkinson's disease...
- Unrelated course of subthalamic nucleus and globus pallidus neuronal activities across vigilance states in the ratN Urbain
Laboratoire de Neuropharmacologie et Neurochimie, INSERM U512, Frnace
Eur J Neurosci 12:3361-74. 2000..of this pathway across the sleep-wake cycle, single-unit activities of subthalamic nucleus (STN) and globus pallidus (GP) neurons were examined, together with cortical electroencephalogram and nuchal muscular activity, in non-..
- Structural analysis of the basal ganglia in schizophreniaDaniel Mamah
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University Medical School, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Schizophr Res 89:59-71. 2007..Left and right volumes of the caudate and putamen, as well as the right globus pallidus volume, were significantly increased in subjects with schizophrenia as compared to comparison subjects after ..
- Abnormal microstructures of the basal ganglia in schizophrenia revealed by diffusion tensor imagingRyota Hashimoto
The Osaka Hamamatsu Joint Research Center for Child Mental Development, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
World J Biol Psychiatry 10:65-9. 2009..Schizophrenics had significantly lower FA values in the bilateral globus pallidus and left thalamus compared to controls, suggesting that schizophrenics might have microstructural ..
- Context-dependent modulation of movement-related discharge in the primate globus pallidusRobert S Turner
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94122, USA
J Neurosci 25:2965-76. 2005..GPi increases and their suppressive effects, perhaps on competing activity in pallidal-recipient centers, have increased prevalence under memory-contingent conditions...
- Globus pallidus stimulation improves both motor and nonmotor aspects of quality of life in advanced Parkinson's diseaseJulian P Rodrigues
Centre for Neuromuscular and Neurological Disorders, Australian Neuromuscular Research Institute, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Mov Disord 22:1866-70. 2007Our purpose was to measure the change in quality of life (QoL) following deep brain stimulation of the globus pallidus interna (GPi-DBS) in advanced Parkinson 's disease (PD), and identifies any associations with changes in motor ..
- Synaptic and extrasynaptic GABA-A and GABA-B receptors in the globus pallidus: an electron microscopic immunogold analysis in monkeysA Charara
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Neuroscience 131:917-33. 2005..we compared their subcellular and subsynaptic localization in the external and internal segments of the globus pallidus (GPe and GPi) in monkeys, using pre- and post-embedding immunocytochemistry with antibodies against GABA-A (..
- Globus pallidus deep brain stimulation in dystoniaAlan Diamond
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mov Disord 21:692-5. 2006b>Globus pallidus deep brain stimulation (GPi-DBS) is a useful alternative in the treatment of dystonia. Patients selected for GPi-DBS were prospectively rated with the Unified Dystonia Rating Scale (UDRS)...
- Post-operative progress of dystonia patients following globus pallidus internus deep brain stimulationJ Yianni
The Oxford Movement Disorder Group, Department of Neurological Surgery, The Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, UK
Eur J Neurol 10:239-47. 2003In the current era of functional surgery for movement disorders, deep brain stimulation (DBS) of the globus pallidus internus (GPi) is emerging as the favoured intervention for patients with dystonia...
- Globus pallidus volume is related to symptom severity in neuroleptic naive patients with schizophreniaRuth Spinks
Schizophrenia Research Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, United States
Schizophr Res 73:229-33. 2005This study compares globus pallidus (GP) volume between neuroleptic naive patients with schizophrenia and healthy controls using structural MRI...
- Motor effects of GABA(A) antagonism in globus pallidus: studies of locomotion and tremulous jaw movements in ratsAnna Wisniecki
Department of Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269-1020, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 170:140-9. 2003..OBJECTIVE: There are multiple pathways involved in the generation of parkinsonian symptoms. The globus pallidus is a basal ganglia relay nucleus, and the present study was conducted to investigate the effect of pallidal ..
- Chronic stimulation of the globus pallidus internus for control of primary generalized dystoniaY Katayama
Department of Neurological Surgery and Division of Applied System Neuroscience, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neurochir Suppl 87:125-8. 2003Our experience of deep brain stimulation of the globus pallidus internus (GPi-DBS) for dystonia is summarized. A total of 5 patients with primary generalized dystonia underwent GPi-DBS. There were 3 males and 2 females...
- Linear high intensity area along the medial margin of the internal segment of the globus pallidus in Machado-Joseph disease patientsS Yamada
Department of Neurology, Yamanashi University School of Medicine, Tamaho cho, Yamanashi, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:573-5. 2005..indicates degeneration of the lenticular fasciculus (LF), a major outflow of the internal segment of the globus pallidus (GPi)...
- Dopamine-dependent changes in the functional connectivity between basal ganglia and cerebral cortex in humansDavid Williams
Sobell Department of Neurophysiology, Institute of Neurology, London, UK
Brain 125:1558-69. 2002..An EEG was also recorded, as were the signals from MEs in the globus pallidus interna (GPi) in two of the cases...
- Functional mapping of the human globus pallidus: contrasting effect of stimulation in the internal and external pallidum in Parkinson's diseaseJ Yelnik
INSERM U289, Hopital de la Salpetriere, 47 Boulevard de l H opital, F 75013 Paris, France
Neuroscience 101:77-87. 2000Our objective was to elaborate a functional map of the globus pallidus by correlating the intrapallidal localization of quadripolar electrodes implanted in parkinsonian patients with the clinical effect of the stimulation of each contact...
- Context dependency in the globus pallidus internal segment during targeted arm movementsM J Gdowski
Department of Physiology, Northwestern University Medical Schoool, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Neurophysiol 85:998-1004. 2001Extracellular discharges from single neurons in the internal segment of the globus pallidus (GPi) were recorded and analyzed for rate changes associated with visually guided forearm rotations to four different targets...
- Differential localization and function of GABA transporters, GAT-1 and GAT-3, in the rat globus pallidusXiao Tao Jin
Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
Eur J Neurosci 33:1504-18. 2011..the respective roles of these transporters in regulating evoked inhibitory postsynaptic currents (eIPSCs) in globus pallidus (GP) neurons after striatal stimulation...
- Normalizing motor-related brain activity: subthalamic nucleus stimulation in Parkinson diseaseS T Grafton
Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Neurology 66:1192-9. 2006....
- Subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation for parkinson's disease after successful pallidotomy: clinical and electrophysiological observationsGalit Kleiner-Fisman
Division of Neurology, Toronto Western Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mov Disord 19:1209-14. 2004..017, 0.005). There were no side-to-side differences clinically or in the STN neuronal firing rates and patterns. Bilateral STN DBS is safe and efficacious in improving motor symptoms in patients with prior pallidotomy...
- Comparison of pallidal and subthalamic deep brain stimulation for the treatment of levodopa-induced dyskinesiasKenneth A Follett
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, and Iowa City Veterans Administration Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E3. 2004..The subthalamic nucleus (STN) and globus pallidus internus (GPi) are the most common surgical targets...
- [Microrecording: a guide to stereotactic brain operations]Takao Hashimoto
No Shinkei Geka 32:297-303. 2004
- Lesion therapy for Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders: update and controversiesMichael S Okun
Department of Neurology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Mov Disord 19:375-89. 2004..1) which target for which disorder; (2) determination of the optimal lesion site and whether the external globus pallidus (GPe) should be included in the pallidotomy lesion for PD; (3) determination of the size of the lesion; (4) ..
- Neural responses in multiple basal ganglia regions during spontaneous and treadmill locomotion tasks in ratsL H Shi
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC 27157, USA
Exp Brain Res 157:303-14. 2004..recording technique was used to record neural activity simultaneously in the dorsal lateral striatum (STR), globus pallidus (GP), subthalamic nucleus (STN) and substantia nigra pars reticulata (SNr) during spontaneous and treadmill ..
- Trace of diffusion tensor differentiates the Parkinson variant of multiple system atrophy and Parkinson's diseaseMichael F H Schocke
Department of Radiology, University of Innsbruck, Austria
Neuroimage 21:1443-51. 2004..Because rADCs in one direction are dependent on the slice orientation relative to the directions of fiber tracts, Trace(D) imaging appears to be more accurate in the separation of MSA-P from PD...
- Effects of the activity of the internal globus pallidus-pedunculopontine loop on the transmission of the subthalamic nucleus-external globus pallidus-pacemaker oscillatory activities to the cortexArash Hadipour Niktarash
Department of Neurology, Hazrat Rasool e Akram Hospital, Iran University of Medical Sciences IUMS, P O Box 15875 5384, Tehran, Iran
J Comput Neurosci 16:113-27. 2004..about the possible principles underlying such central oscillations, is the subthalamic nucleus (STN)-external globus pallidus (GPe)-pacemaker hypothesis...
- Unilateral pallidotomy versus bilateral subthalamic nucleus stimulation in PD: a randomized trialR A J Esselink
Department of Neurology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurology 62:201-7. 2004..One patient in each group had a major adverse effect. CONCLUSIONS: Bilateral STN stimulation is more effective than unilateral pallidotomy in reducing parkinsonian symptoms in patients with advanced PD...
- Subthalamic nucleus neuronal activity in Parkinson's disease and epilepsy subjectsErwin B Montgomery
Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin Madison, H6 538 CSC, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 14:120-5. 2008..These and similar findings call into question theories that posit increased STN activity is causal to parkinsonism...
- Paradoxes of functional neurosurgery: clues from basal ganglia recordingsPeter Brown
Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders, Institute of Neurology, London WC1N 3BG, United Kingdom
Mov Disord 23:12-20; quiz 158. 2008..Whether true, oversimplified or simply incorrect, the noisy signal hypothesis has served to focus attention on the detailed character of basal ganglia discharge and its variation with disease and therapy...
- [Current therapies for parkinson's disease. Part II: surgical treatment]Jerzy Słowiński
Katedry i Oddziału Klinicznego Neurochirurgii i Neurotraumatologii SlAM w Bytomiu
Neurol Neurochir Pol 37:677-86. 2003..Unfortunately, the modern surgery for PD is still very expensive and demanding for a large team of specialists and high technology...
- Neuronal activity in the basal ganglia and thalamus in patients with dystoniaPing Zhuang
Beijing Institute of Functional Neurosurgery, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100053, China
Clin Neurophysiol 115:2542-57. 2004..METHODS: Microelectrode recording was performed in the globus pallidus internus (GPi), ventral thalamic nuclear group ventral oral posterior/ventral intermediate, Vop/Vim) and ..
- [Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease]Isao Date
Department of Neurological Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, 2-5-1 Shikata-cho, Okayama 700-8558, Japan
No To Shinkei 56:827-41. 2004
- [Preoperative adverse events during stereotactic microelectrode-guided deep brain surgery in Parkinson's disease]P Santos
Servei d'Anestesiologia, , , Universitat de Barcelona
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 51:523-30. 2004..surgery (stereotactic pallidotomy, implantation of electrodes in the thalamic or subthalamic neurons of the globus pallidus)...
- Network modulation by the subthalamic nucleus in the treatment of Parkinson's diseaseMaja Trost
Center for Neurosciences, Institute for Medical Research, North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Neuroimage 31:301-7. 2006..58). Statistical parametric mapping (SPM) revealed that metabolic reductions in the internal globus pallidus (GPi) and caudal midbrain were common to both STN interventions (P < 0...
- State of the art: deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's diseaseR Bhidayasiri
Chulalongkorn Comprehensive Movement Disorders Program, Chulalongkorn University Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 89:390-400. 2006..To date, DBS of the globus pallidus interna and subthalamic nucleus has been reported to relieve motor symptoms and levodopa-induced dyskinesia ..
- Operative techniques and morbidity with subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation in 100 consecutive patients with advanced Parkinson's diseaseR R Goodman
Departments of Neurological Surgery and Neurology, Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:12-7. 2006..To expand this knowledge, we reviewed our experience with a large series of consecutive patients...
- Anatomy and physiology of the basal ganglia: implications for deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's diseaseBrian H Kopell
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, and Clement J Zablocki VA Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202, USA
Mov Disord 21:S238-46. 2006..The current targets for deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease, the subthalamic nucleus, the globus pallidus internus, and the ventral intermediate nucleus, will be discussed in the framework of the current ..
- Network modulation in the treatment of Parkinson's diseaseKotaro Asanuma
Center for Neurosciences, Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Brain 129:2667-78. 2006..001) metabolic reductions in the putamen/globus pallidus, sensorimotor cortex and cerebellar vermis, as well as increases in the precuneus (BA 7)...
- Globus pallidus neurons dynamically regulate the activity pattern of subthalamic nucleus neurons through the frequency-dependent activation of postsynaptic GABAA and GABAB receptorsNicholas E Hallworth
Department of Physiology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611-3008, USA
J Neurosci 25:6304-15. 2005Reciprocally connected GABAergic neurons of the globus pallidus (GP) and glutamatergic neurons of the subthalamic nucleus (STN) are a putative generator of pathological rhythmic burst firing in Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Bilateral deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's disease: a multicentre study with 4 years follow-upM C Rodriguez-Oroz
Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Clinica Universitaria and Medical School, University of Navarra and CIMA, Pamplona, Spain
Brain 128:2240-9. 2005..report 69 Parkinson's disease patients treated with bilateral DBS of the subthalamic nucleus (STN, n = 49) or globus pallidus internus (GPi, n = 20) included in a multicentre study...
- Treatment of motor dysfunction in Parkinson's disease: an overviewStephane Thobois
Service de Neurologie, Hopital Neurologique Pierre Wertheimer, Lyon, France
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 107:269-81. 2005..Nevertheless, several compounds or surgical procedures are candidates for being neuroprotective and some of them are under evaluation...
- [Surgical treatment of Parkinson's disease]Jarosław Maciaczyk
Katedra i Klinika Neurochirurgii Neurotraumatologii Akademii Medycznej im Ludwika Rydygiera w Bydgoszczy
Przegl Lek 61:1383-8. 2004..g. thyrosine hydroxylase, glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor) and elimination the cause of parkinsonian disturbances...
- Role of surgery in the treatment of motor complicationsLeo Verhagen Metman
Department of Neurological Sciences, Rush University Medical Center, 1725 W Harrison Street, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Mov Disord 20:S45-56. 2005....
- Effect of subthalamic lesion with kainic acid on the neuronal activities of the basal ganglia of rat parkinsonian models with 6-hydroxydopamineJ W Chang
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical Research Center, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science and Brain Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Neurochir Suppl 87:163-8. 2003..was to investigate the alteration of neuronal activities in the substantia nigra pars reticulata (SNpr) and globus pallidus (GP), after ipsilateral STN lesioning by kainic acid in the rat hemi-parkinsonian 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) ..
- The indirect basal ganglia pathway in dopamine D(2) receptor-deficient miceM G Murer
INSERM U289, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
Neuroscience 99:643-50. 2000..D(2) receptor-deficient mice display a reduced expression of glutamate decarboxylase-67 messenger RNA in the globus pallidus, as the basal ganglia model predicts...
- Timing and direction selectivity of subthalamic and pallidal neurons in patients with Parkinson diseaseZiv M Williams
Department of Neurosurgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 15 Parkman Street, ACC-021, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Exp Brain Res 162:407-16. 2005..PD) arise from abnormal activity and decreased selectivity of neurons in the subthalamic nucleus (STN) and globus pallidus internus (Gpi)...
- Interaction between rhythms in the human basal ganglia: application of bispectral analysis to local field potentialsSara Marceglia
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche, Universita di Milano, Fondazione IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Policlinico, Mangiagalli e Regina Elena, Milan, Italy
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:483-92. 2007..nonlinear interactions between LFP rhythms characterizing the output structure of the basal ganglia, the globus pallidus internus, by means of bispectral analysis...
- The persistent effects of unilateral pallidal and subthalamic deep brain stimulation on force control in advanced Parkinson's patientsJ L Alberts
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 14:481-8. 2008The persistent effects of unilateral deep brain stimulation (DBS) of the globus pallidus interna (GPi) or subthalamic nucleus (STN) on specific movement parameters produced by Parkinson's disease (PD) patients are poorly understood...
- Neurophysiological modulation of the subthalamic nucleus by pallidal stimulation in Parkinson's diseaseD Sterio
Department of Neurosurgery, NYU School of Medicine, NY, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 72:325-8. 2002..There is a direct excitatory output to the globus pallidus internus (GPi), which in turn hyperinhibits the motor thalamus and leads to a lack of cortical facilitation...
- Deep-brain stimulation for Parkinson's diseaseG Deuschl
Department of Neurology, Christian Albrechts Universitat Kiel, Niemannsweg 147, 24105 Kiel, Germany
J Neurol 249:III/36-9. 2002..However, prospective studies for this procedure are lacking and some clinical problems may be more easily solved with targeting the internal pallidum or the thalamus. Despite major progress in this field, much work remains to be done...
- Surgical therapy for Parkinson's diseaseC W Olanow
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, New York, NY 10029, USA
Eur J Neurol 9:31-9. 2002..Several studies now demonstrate the value of stimulating the subthalamic nucleus or the globus pallidus pars interna in patients with advanced PD...
- Magnetic resonance imaging-based morphometry and landmark correlation of basal ganglia nucleiX L Zhu
Department Neurosurgery, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, PR China
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144:959-69; discussion 968-9. 2002..brain stimulation or lesioning in patients with Parkinson's disease, the subthalamic nucleus (STN) and the globus pallidus internus (GPi), reveal a high degree of individual variability which is relevant to the planning of ..
- Surgery for movement disordersRalph Gregory
Oxford Movement Disorder Group, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 72:I32-I35. 2002
- Basal Ganglia and Higher Cortical FunctionPeter L Strick; Fiscal Year: 2010..GABA antagonist, Bicuculline (BIC) into the associative and limbic territories of the external segment of the globus pallidus (GPe) reversibly evoke abnormal behaviors...
- Extrastriatal functions of dopamineTHOMAS N WICHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2010..evidence that dopamine loss at locations outside of the striatum such as the substantia nigra or the globus pallidus may play a significant role in the development of parkinsonism...
- Iron in the pathogenesis of Friedreich's ataxiaARNULF HANS WERNER KOEPPEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, the globus pallidus with its equally high iron and ferritin levels will be added as an internal control...
- Basal Ganglia and Higher Cortical FunctionPETER STRICK; Fiscal Year: 2009..GABA antagonist, Bicuculline (BIC) into the associative and limbic territories of the external segment of the globus pallidus (GPe) reversibly evoke abnormal behaviors...
- Cortical connections with the limbic territory of the basal gangliaMichelle Morrow; Fiscal Year: 2007..of the GABA antagonist, Bicuculline (Bic) into the limbic territory of the external segment of the Globus Pallidus (GPe) evoke abnormal behaviors including excessive grooming, nail biting, and communicative gestures...
- Molecular Mechanisms Controlling Formation of Basal Ganglia CircuitryKENNETH J CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..connects the striatum to the output nuclei, while the indirect pathway influences the output nuclei via the globus pallidus and subthalamic nucleus...
- Cortical contributions to basal ganglia disordersPETER STRICK; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will make microinjections of a GABAergic antagonist, bicuculline, into the external segment of the globus pallidus (GPE)...
- Dorsal Column Stimulation as a New Therapy for Motor DisordersMiguel A L Nicolelis; Fiscal Year: 2010..rats implanted with multi-electrode arrays in eight brain areas, including striatum, subthalamic nucleus, globus pallidus, motor and sensory cortices, thalamus, and substantia nigra pars compacta...
- NEUROCHEMICAL PHARMACOLOGY OF PHENCYCLIDINEKenneth Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1993..regulation of GABA and glutamate release by dopaminergic and glutamatergic agonists in slices of the striatum-globus pallidus and frontal cortex and by noradrenergic and glutamatergic agonists in hippocampal slices will be determined...
- GABA RECEPTORS IN THE THALAMUSYoland Smith; Fiscal Year: 2005..Both the internal globus pallidus (GPi) and the substantia nigra pays reticulata (SNr) provide GABAergic afferents to specific regions of CM/Pf...
- PALLIDAL PHYSIOLOGY IN HUMAN AND PRIMATE DYSTONIAPHILIP STARR; Fiscal Year: 2005..The globus pallidus internus (GPi) occupies a critical position in this circuit since it is the major output structure of the ..
- Mechanisms of Manganese NeurotoxicityANUMANTHA GOUNDER KANTHASAMY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mn predominantly accumulates in the basal ganglia structures including the globus pallidus and striatum area, but the cellular mechanisms underlying the neurotoxic effect of Mn in these target neurons ..
- Mechanisms of Manganese NeurotoxicityANUMANTHA GOUNDER KANTHASAMY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mn predominantly accumulates in the basal ganglia structures including the globus pallidus and striatum area, but the cellular mechanisms underlying the neurotoxic effect of Mn in these target neurons ..
- GLUTAMATE IN PARKINSONS DISEASEJ Greenamyre; Fiscal Year: 1999..in overactivity of the glutamatergic pathways from the subthalamic nucleus to the internal segment of the globus pallidus and the substantia nigra par's reticulate, the output nuclei of the basal ganglia...
- Dopamine D2 and Adenosine A2A roles:Tremulous MovementsJohn Salamone; Fiscal Year: 2007..In view of research showing that haloperidol increases extracellular GABA in globus pallidus, and that haloperidol-induced tremulous jaw movements are reduced by pallidal injections of bicuculline, it ..
- MOTOR ACTIONS OF CANNABINOIDS IN A PARKINSONS MODELCLARA SANUDO PENA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Furthermore, cannabinoid receptor levels in the output nuclei of the basal ganglia, the globus pallidus and the substantia nigra pars reticulata, are the highest in the brain...
- MOOD EFFECTS OF DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION IN PARKINSONSMark George; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the Applicant's Abstract): Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) of the thalamus, globus pallidus (GPi) or subthalamic nucleus (STN) is a new treatment for essential tremor and bradykinesia in Parkinson's Disease (PD)...
- Deep Brain Stimulation in the Parkinsonian MonkeyJERROLD VITEK; Fiscal Year: 2006..the introduction of deep brain stimulation (DBS) in the subthalamic nucleus (STN) and internal segment of the globus pallidus (GPi) as a highly effective treatment modality...
- MICROELECTRODE ARRAYS FOR DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION AND RECDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2002..iridium recording and/or stimulating microelectrodes suitable for very long-term implantation into the globus pallidus or the subthalamic nuclei. We will develop two array configurations...
- Schizophrenia Data and Software Tool Federation using BIRN InfrastructureLei Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..e., hippocampus, amygdala, thalamus, caudate nucleus, nucleus accumbens, putamen and globus pallidus)...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora M Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2010..PV)-containing neurons was found in a major output nucleus of the basal ganglia, the internal segment of the globus pallidus (GPi), in TS brains as compared to NC subjects. These are inhibitory neurons projecting to the thalamus...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2009..PV)-containing neurons was found in a major output nucleus of the basal ganglia, the internal segment of the globus pallidus (GPi), in TS brains as compared to NC subjects. These are inhibitory neurons projecting to the thalamus...
- Inhibitory Interneurons in Tourette SyndromeFlora Vaccarino; Fiscal Year: 2007..PV)-containing neurons was found in a major output nucleus of the basal ganglia, the internal segment of the globus pallidus (GPi), in TS brains as compared to NC subjects. These are inhibitory neurons projecting to the thalamus...
- OPIOID GABA INTERACTIONS AND ANTINOCICEPTIONAlexander Kalyuzhny; Fiscal Year: 2002..In preliminary studies, we have observed that GABA/A receptors in globus pallidus, hippocampus and DRG are co-localized with mu-opioid receptors...