Summary: The joint that occurs between facets of the interior and superior articular processes of adjacent vertebra.
Publications186 found, 100 shown here
- Prevalence of facet joint pain in chronic spinal pain of cervical, thoracic, and lumbar regionsLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, 2831 Lone Oak Road, Paducah, Kentucky, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 5:15. 2004..The purpose of this study was to systematically evaluate the prevalence of facet joint pain by spinal region in patients with chronic spine pain referred to an interventional pain management practice...
- Lumbar facet joint osteoarthritis: a reviewLeonid Kalichman
Clinical Epidemiology Research and Training Unit, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Semin Arthritis Rheum 37:69-80. 2007..We reviewed the anatomy, biomechanics, and possible sources of pain of the FJ, natural history, and risk factors of lumbar FJ osteoarthritis and briefly reviewed the relevant imaging methods...
- Percutaneous lumbar zygapophysial (Facet) joint neurotomy using radiofrequency current, in the management of chronic low back pain: a randomized double-blind trialSherdil Nath
Smärtkliniken The Pain Clinic, Umea, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1291-7; discussion 1298. 2008..A randomized controlled study of percutaneous radiofrequency neurotomy was conducted in 40 patients with chronic low back pain (20 active and 20 controls)...
- Cervical medial branch blocks for chronic cervical facet joint pain: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial with one-year follow-upLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1813-20. 2008..A double-blind, randomized, controlled trial...
- Facet joint pain in chronic spinal pain: an evaluation of prevalence and false-positive rate of diagnostic blocksRajeev Manchukonda
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 20:539-45. 2007..A retrospective review...
- The relationship between disc degeneration, facet joint osteoarthritis, and stability of the degenerative lumbar spineA Fujiwara
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Tochigi, Japan
J Spinal Disord 13:444-50. 2000..Rotatory instability in the sagittal plane and posterior translatory instability were not associated with disc degeneration and facet joint osteoarthritis...
- Comprehensive review of neurophysiologic basis and diagnostic interventions in managing chronic spinal painLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Pain Physician 12:E71-120. 2009..In contrast, controlled diagnostic blocks have been shown to determine the cause of pain in as many as 85% of the patients...
- Systematic assessment of diagnostic accuracy and therapeutic utility of lumbar facet joint interventionsSukdeb Datta
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Pain Physician 12:437-60. 2009....
- Analysis of IL-17(+) cells in facet joints of patients with spondyloarthritis suggests that the innate immune pathway might be of greater relevance than the Th17-mediated adaptive immune responseHeiner Appel
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectiology and Rheumatology, Charite Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Hindenburgdamm 30, D 12200 Berlin, Germany
Arthritis Res Ther 13:R95. 2011....
- Radiofrequency denervation for neck and back pain: a systematic review within the framework of the cochrane collaboration back review groupLeena Niemistö
ORTON Orthopaedic Hospital, Invalid Foundation, Helsinki, Finland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1877-88. 2003..Systematic review...
- Radiofrequency and pulsed radiofrequency treatment of chronic pain syndromes: the available evidenceKoen Van Boxem
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Therapy, St Jozefkliniek, Bornem and Willebroek, Belgium
Pain Pract 8:385-93. 2008..The value of PRF treatment of the peripheral nerves also needs to be confirmed in well-designed trials...
- Radiofrequency facet joint neurotomy in treatment of facet syndromeCem Yilmaz
Department of Neurosurgery, Baskent University, Istanbul Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Spinal Disord Tech 23:480-5. 2010..Retrospective analyses of 50 patients with lumbar facet syndrome treated with lumbar facet joint neurotomy...
- Multicenter, randomized, comparative cost-effectiveness study comparing 0, 1, and 2 diagnostic medial branch (facet joint nerve) block treatment paradigms before lumbar facet radiofrequency denervationSteven P Cohen
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Anesthesiology 113:395-405. 2010..Facet interventions are the second most frequently performed procedures in pain clinics across the United States. Currently, there are no uniformly accepted criteria regarding how best to select patients for radiofrequency denervation...
- Radiofrequency facet joint denervation in the treatment of low back pain: a placebo-controlled clinical trial to assess efficacyR Leclaire
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Community Studies, Sir Mortimer B Davis, Jewish General Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1411-6; discussion 1417. 2001..A prospective double-blind randomized controlled trial was performed...
- A systematic review of therapeutic facet joint interventions in chronic spinal painMark V Boswell
Texas Tech University Health Science Center, Lubbock, TX, USA
Pain Physician 10:229-53. 2007..A systematic review of therapeutic facet interventions published in January 2005, concluded that facet interventions were variably effective for short-term and long-term relief of facet joint pain...
- Correlation between inflammatory cytokines released from the lumbar facet joint tissue and symptoms in degenerative lumbar spinal disordersAkira Igarashi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, 1 Hikarigaoka, Fukushima 960 1295, Japan
J Orthop Sci 12:154-60. 2007..The purpose of this study was to seek involvement of inflammatory facet joint for radiculopathy in lumbar spinal canal stenosis with clinical and anatomical studies...
- Complications of lumbar facet radiofrequency denervationCraig Kornick
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Pain Management, Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1352-4. 2004..Retrospective...
- Systematic review of diagnostic utility and therapeutic effectiveness of cervical facet joint interventionsFrank J E Falco
Mid Atlantic Spine and Pain Specialists, Newark, DE 19713, USA
Pain Physician 12:323-44. 2009..However, these studies also have shown false-positive results in 27% to 63% of the patients with a single diagnostic block. There is also a paucity of literature investigating therapeutic interventions of cervical facet joint pain...
- Medial branch neurotomy in low back painSalvatore Masala
Department of Diagnostic and Molecular Imaging, Interventional Radiology and Radiotherapy University Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Neuroradiology 54:737-44. 2012..This study aimed to assess the effectiveness of pulsed radiofrequency medial branch dorsal ramus neurotomy in patients with facet joint syndrome...
- Biomechanical analysis of the lumbar spine on facet joint force and intradiscal pressure--a finite element studyChing Sung Kuo
Department of Civil Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:151. 2010....
- Radiofrequency treatment of facet-related pain: evidence and controversiesJan Van Zundert
Department of Anesthesiology and Multidisciplinary Pain Centre, Ziekenhuis Oost Limburg, Campus Andre Dumont, Stalenstraat 2, 3600 Genk, Belgium
Curr Pain Headache Rep 16:19-25. 2012..Therefore, we suggest one block of the ramus medialis of the ramus dorsalis before radiofrequency treatment...
- Increases in lumbosacral injections in the Medicare population: 1994 to 2001Janna Friedly
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98127, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1754-60. 2007..Anecdotal reports and limited data suggest that the use of spinal injections is increasing, despite equivocal evidence about efficacy...
- A randomized, double-blind, prospective study comparing the efficacy of continuous versus pulsed radiofrequency in the treatment of lumbar facet syndromeHenry R Kroll
Department of Anesthesia K 4, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
J Clin Anesth 20:534-7. 2008..To compare the efficacy of continuous radiofrequency (CRF) thermocoagulation with pulsed radiofrequency (PRF) in the treatment of lumbar facet syndrome...
- Procedure-based nonsurgical management of lumbar zygapophyseal joint cyst-induced radicular painSteven R Sabers
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Medical School, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1767-71. 2005To evaluate the success of fluoroscopically guided, contrast-enhanced lumbar zygapophyseal joint (Z-joint) aspiration and steroid injection combined with transforaminal epidural steroid injections (TFESIs) for the treatment of lumbar Z-..
- Effect of a pedicle-screw-based motion preservation system on lumbar spine biomechanics: a probabilistic finite element study with subsequent sensitivity analysisAntonius Rohlmann
Julius Wolff Institute, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Biomech 43:2963-9. 2010..The designated functions of a motion preservation system can best be achieved when the longitudinal rod has a low stiffness, and when the connection between rod and pedicle screws is rigid...
- The effect of repeated zygapophysial joint radiofrequency neurotomy on pain, disability, and improvement durationBrian Rambaransingh
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Pain Med 11:1343-7. 2010..To assess the effectiveness of repeated radiofrequency neurotomy (RFN) on pain, disability, and treatment effect duration...
- Evaluating the relationship among cavitation, zygapophyseal joint gapping, and spinal manipulation: an exploratory case seriesGregory D Cramer
National University of Health Sciences, Lombard, IL 60510, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 34:2-14. 2011..This project determined the feasibility of conducting larger studies assessing the relationship between cavitation and zygapophyseal (Z) joint gapping following spinal manipulative therapy (SMT)...
- A comparison of conventional and pulsed radiofrequency denervation in the treatment of chronic facet joint painIdil Tekin
Departments of Anesthesiology, Medical Faculty of Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
Clin J Pain 23:524-9. 2007..The goal of this study was to compare the effects of conventional radiofrequency (CRF) and pulsed RF (PRF) denervation to medial branches of dorsal rami in the treatment of facet joint pain...
- Pulsed radiofrequency application in treatment of chronic zygapophyseal joint painGeorgi Mikeladze
Pain Medicine Program, Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th Street BIW 2144, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Spine J 3:360-2. 2003Chronic zygapophyseal joint arthropathy is a cause of back and neck pain. One proposed method of treating facet joint pathology is ablation of medial branches and dorsal rami with pulsed radiofrequency (RF) waves.
- Zygapophyseal joint adhesions after induced hypomobilityGregory D Cramer
Department of Research, National University of Health Sciences, Lombard, IL 60510, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 33:508-18. 2010..The objective of this study was to determine if connective tissue ADH developed in lumbar Z joints after induced intervertebral hypomobility (segmental fixation)...
- Systematic review of diagnostic utility and therapeutic effectiveness of thoracic facet joint interventionsSairam Atluri
Tri State Spine Care Institute, Cincinnati, OH 45230, USA
Pain Physician 11:611-29. 2008....
- Fluoroscopic percutaneous lumbar zygapophyseal joint cyst rupture: a clinical outcome studyTracy L Allen
Physiatry Department, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Spine J 9:387-95. 2009Lumbar zygapophyseal joint (Z-joint) synovial cysts can cause low back pain (LBP), spinal stenosis, and lower extremity radiculopathy. In the literature, there are several minimally invasive techniques described with mixed results...
- Relationship of facet tropism with degeneration and stability of functional spinal unitMin Ho Kong
Department of Neurosurgery, Seoul Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Yonsei Med J 50:624-9. 2009..The authors investigated the effect of lumbar facet tropism (FT) on intervertebral disc degeneration (DD), facet joint degeneration (FJD), and segmental translational motion...
- Low back pain: prediction of short-term outcome of facet joint injection with bone scintigraphySpiros G Pneumaticos
Institute of Spinal Disorders, Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery and Radiology, Baylor College of Medicine 6550 Fannin, Suite 2525, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Radiology 238:693-8. 2006..To prospectively evaluate use of bone scintigraphy with single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) for identification of patients with low back pain who would benefit from facet joint injections...
- Indicators of lumbar zygapophyseal joint pain: survey of an expert panel with the Delphi techniqueViktoria E Wilde
School of Physiotherapy, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
Phys Ther 87:1348-61. 2007..The purpose of this study was to obtain a consensus from an expert panel on the indicators of LZJ pain...
- A critical review of the evidence for the use of zygapophysial injections and radiofrequency denervation in the treatment of low back painCurtis W Slipman
Penn Spine Center Research Group, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Ground Floor White Building, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Spine J 3:310-6. 2003..Once this diagnosis is made, decisions about when to institute a particular intervention and which treatment to offer is regionally and specialty dependent...
- Facet joint kinematics and injury mechanisms during simulated whiplashAdam M Pearson
Biomechanics Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8071, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:390-7. 2004..Facet joint kinematics and capsular ligament strains were evaluated during simulated whiplash of whole cervical spine specimens with muscle force replication...
- Changes in pressure pain thresholds over C5-C6 zygapophyseal joint after a cervicothoracic junction manipulation in healthy subjectsCésar Fernández-de-Las-Peñas
Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Alcorcon, Spain
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 31:332-7. 2008..This study examines if C7-T1 manipulation results in changes in pressure pain thresholds (PPT) over bilateral C5-C6 zygapophyseal joints in asymptomatic subjects...
- Facet orientation and tropism: associations with facet joint osteoarthritis and degenerativesLeonid Kalichman
Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E579-85. 2009..Cross-sectional study...
- Radiofrequency denervation of lumbar facet joints in the treatment of chronic low back pain: a randomized, double-blind, sham lesion-controlled trialRoelof M A W van Wijk
Departments of Anaesthesia, Royal Adelaide Hospital and Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Adelaide, Australia corrected
Clin J Pain 21:335-44. 2005..We designed this multicenter, randomized, double-blind, sham treatment controlled trial to determine the efficacy of radiofrequency facet joint denervation, as it is routinely performed...
- Lumbar zygapophysial (facet) joint radiofrequency denervation success as a function of pain relief during diagnostic medial branch blocks: a multicenter analysisSteven P Cohen
Pain Management Division, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 550 North Broadway, Suite 301, Baltimore, MD 21029, USA
Spine J 8:498-504. 2008....
- The influence of facet tropism on herniation of the lumbar disc in adolescents and adultsD Y Lee
Department of Neurosurgery, Wooridul Spine Hospital, Gangnam Gu, 135 100 Seoul, Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:520-3. 2006..Facet tropism did not influence the development of herniation of the lumbar disc in either adolescents or adults...
- Systematic review of diagnostic utility of facet (zygapophysial) joint injections in chronic spinal pain: an updateNalini Sehgal
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53595, USA
Pain Physician 10:213-28. 2007..There is, however, no available gold standard to measure presence or absence of pain. Hence, there is a degree of uncertainty concerning the accuracy of diagnostic facet joint injections...
- Localized cervical facet joint kinematics under physiological and whiplash loadingBrian D Stemper
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, WI 53295, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 3:471-6. 2005..The purpose of this investigation was to quantify the correlation between facet joint and segmental motions under physiological and whiplash loading...
- Computerized tomography-guided kryorhizotomy in 76 patients with lumbar facet joint syndromeMarko Staender
Department of Neurosurgery, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
J Neurosurg Spine 3:444-9. 2005..The authors prospectively evaluated the therapeutic effect of computerized tomography (CT)-guided kryorhizotomy in the treatment of patients with lumbar facet joint syndrome (LFJS) and assessed prognostic factors that predict this effect...
- Prevalence of facet joint pain in chronic low back pain in postsurgical patients by controlled comparative local anesthetic blocksLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:449-55. 2007..To evaluate the prevalence of facet joint pain in patients with chronic low back pain (CLBP) after surgical intervention(s)...
- Treatment of facet and sacroiliac joint arthropathy: steroid injections and radiofrequency ablationJeffrey A Stone
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic Florida, Jacksonville, Florida 3224, USA
Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 12:22-32. 2009..This article reviews the basic image-guided fluoroscopic and computed tomographic-guided approaches to steroid treatment of the facet and sacroiliac joints and further discusses of the painful facet through RFA...
- Recording of neural activity from goat cervical facet joint capsule using custom-designed miniature electrodesChaoyang Chen
Spine Research Laboratory, Bioengineering Center, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1367-72. 2005..To establish a methodology for the neurophysiologic study of mechanoreceptors in the cervical facet joint capsule...
- Paraplegia following image-guided transforaminal lumbar spine epidural steroid injection: two case reportsDavid J Kennedy
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32607, USA
Pain Med 10:1389-94. 2009..To present two case reports of a rare but devastating injury after image-guided, lumbar transforaminal injection of steroids, and to explore features in common with previously reported cases...
- Facet tropism and interfacet shape in the thoracolumbar vertebrae: characterization and biomechanical interpretationYoussef Masharawi
Tel Aviv University, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Department of Physical Therapy, Ramat Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:E281-92. 2005..Thoracolumbar facet and interfacet linear dimensions were measured and analyzed...
- Clinical predictors of screening lumbar zygapophyseal joint blocks: development of clinical prediction rulesMark Laslett
PhysioSouth, Moorhouse Medical Centre, 3 Pilgrim Place, Christchurch, 8002, New Zealand
Spine J 6:370-9. 2006Only controlled intra-articular zygapophyseal joint (ZJ) injections or medial branch blocks can diagnose ZJ-mediated low back pain...
- Immunohistologic analysis of zygapophyseal joints in patients with ankylosing spondylitisHeiner Appel
Charite Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Arthritis Rheum 54:2845-51. 2006..Zygapophyseal joints of the spine are often affected in ankylosing spondylitis (AS). In this study, we undertook a systematic immunohistologic evaluation of the immunopathology of the zygapophyseal joints in patients with advanced AS...
- Injection therapy of lumbar facet syndrome: a prospective studyT L Schulte
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Munster, Munster, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:1165-72; discussion 1172. 2006..The aim of our study was to evaluate quantity and duration of clinical improvement after this protocol, and to identify the best time for additional repetitive injection therapy...
- Radiofrequency denervation of the lumbar zygapophysial joints: 10-year prospective clinical auditMichael Gofeld
Pain Management Program, Department of Anesthesia, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pain Physician 10:291-300. 2007....
- Evaluation of lumbar facet joint nerve blocks in the management of chronic low back pain: preliminary report of a randomized, double-blind controlled trial: clinical trial NCT00355914Laxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
Pain Physician 10:425-40. 2007..Therapeutic interventions utilized in managing chronic low back pain of facet joint origin include intraarticular injections, medial branch nerve blocks, and neurolysis of medial branch nerves...
- Alternative denervation using laser irradiation in lumbar facet syndromeKoichi Iwatsuki
Department of Neurosurgery, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Lasers Surg Med 39:225-9. 2007..The target of surgical techniques is the transverse process bases where the medial nerve branches innervated the facet. However, highly variable success rates have been demonstrated in different series...
- Pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment of lumbar zygapophysial (facet) joint painSteven P Cohen
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Anesthesiology 106:591-614. 2007..In this article, the authors provide a comprehensive review of the anatomy, biomechanics, and function of the lumbar zygapophysial joints, along with a systematic analysis of the diagnosis and treatment of facet joint pain...
- The relationship of facet tropism to lumbar disc herniationSombat Kunakornsawat
Center of Excellence in Orthopedics, Lerdsin Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 90:1337-41. 2007..The association between the facet tropism and the development of lumbar disc herniation has been studied; however the results remain controversial...
- Lumbar facet joint nerve blocks in managing chronic facet joint pain: one-year follow-up of a randomized, double-blind controlled trial: Clinical Trial NCT00355914Laxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Pain Physician 11:121-32. 2008..Various therapeutic techniques including intraarticular injections, medial branch blocks, and radiofrequency neurotomy of lumbar facet joint nerves have been described in the alleviation of chronic low back pain of facet joint origin...
- Medial branch blocks versus pericapsular blocks in selecting patients for percutaneous cryodenervation of lumbar facet jointsChristof Birkenmaier
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Grosshadern Medical Center, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
Reg Anesth Pain Med 32:27-33. 2007..This study was performed to compare medial branch blocks to simple pericapsular blocks for the selection of patients for lumbar facet joint cryodenervation...
- Extraforaminal ligament attachments of human lumbar nervesG A Kraan
Department of Biomedical Physics and Technology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:601-5. 2005..An anatomic study of the extraforaminal attachments of the lumbar spinal nerves was performed using human lumbar spinal columns...
- Facet tropism: a comparison between far lateral and posterolateral lumbar disc herniationsJ B Park
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Catholic University of Korea College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:677-9. 2001....
- The effect of disc degeneration and facet joint osteoarthritis on the segmental flexibility of the lumbar spineA Fujiwara
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612 3824, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:3036-44. 2000..Further studies are needed to clarify whether the degenerative process of facet joint osteoarthritis differs between genders and how facet joint osteoarthritis affects the stability of the spinal motion segment...
- Delayed presentation of septic arthritis of a lumbar facet joint after diagnostic facet joint injectionNeil M Orpen
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Wycombe General Hospital, High Wycombe, UK
J Spinal Disord Tech 16:285-7. 2003..We propose that this diagnosis be considered in patients who have undergone diagnostic facet joint injection who subsequently deteriorate with back and leg pain without another apparent cause...
- Effectiveness of thoracic medial branch blocks in managing chronic pain: a preliminary report of a randomized, double-blind controlled trialLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Pain Physician 11:491-504. 2008..Various therapeutic techniques utilized in managing chronic thoracic pain of facet joint origin include intraarticular injections, medial branch blocks, and radiofrequency neurotomy of thoracic facet joint nerves...
- Facet joint injection: a rare form cause of epidural abscess formationE Alcock
Pain Relief Unit, Department of Anaesthesia, Kings College Hospital, London, UK
Pain 103:209-10. 2003..We report a case in which facet joint injections resulted in epidural abscess formation. To our knowledge this has not previously been reported...
- Kryorhizotomy: an alternative technique for lumbar medial branch rhizotomy in lumbar facet syndromeChristian B Bärlocher
Department of Neurosurgery, Inselspital, University of Berne, Switzerland
J Neurosurg 98:14-20. 2003..The authors conducted a prospective study to investigate the efficacy of kryorhizotomy, an alternative procedure for lumbar medial branch neurotomy, in the treatment of lumbar facet syndrome (LFS)...
- Hematogenous pyogenic facet joint infectionA J Muffoletto
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0792, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1570-6. 2001..Cases complicated by an epidural abscess and severe neurologic deficit should undergo immediate decompressive laminectomy...
- A novel rodent neck pain model of facet-mediated behavioral hypersensitivity: implications for persistent pain and whiplash injuryKathryn E Lee
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, 120 Hayden Hall, 3320 Smith Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6392, USA
J Neurosci Methods 137:151-9. 2004..Continued investigation into the relationship between injury mechanics and nociceptive physiology will strengthen insight into painful facet injury mechanisms...
- Effect of facetectomy on lumbar spinal stability under sagittal plane loadingsKim Kheng Lee
School of Mechanical and Production Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1624-31. 2004..A study using an anatomically accurate finite-element model of a L2-L3 motion segment to investigate the biomechanical effects of graded bilateral and unilateral facetectomies of L3 under flexion and extension loadings...
- Orientation and tropism of lumbar facet joints in degenerative spondylolisthesisL Y Dai
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University, 1665 Kongjiang Road, Shanghai 200092, China
Int Orthop 25:40-2. 2001..05). The results suggest that morphological abnormalities of the lumbar facet joints are a predisposing factor in the development of degenerative spondylolisthesis...
- Radiofrequency neurotomy for low back pain: evidence-based procedural guidelinesW Michael Hooten
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Pain Med 6:129-38. 2005..Based on these analyses, diagnostic and procedural guidelines will be proposed...
- Lumbar zygapophyseal joint injections in patients with chronic lower back painChunhsi Shih
Department of Radiology, Chu Shang Show Chwan Hospital, Nantou, Taiwan, R O C
J Chin Med Assoc 68:59-64. 2005This study was designed to assess the diagnostic value and clinical benefits of lumbar zygapophyseal joint injections in patients with chronic lower back pain.
- The orientation of the articular facets of the zygapophyseal joints at the cervical and upper thoracic regionG P Pal
Department of Anatomy, M. P. Shah Medical College, Jamnagar, India
J Anat 198:431-41. 2001..These findings correlate well with various cervical movements and associated clinical conditions...
- Does osteoarthritis of the lumbar spine cause chronic low back pain?David Borenstein
Arthritis and Rheumatism Associates, The George Washington University Medical Center, 2021 K Street, NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20006, USA
Curr Rheumatol Rep 6:14-9. 2004..Low back pain is responsive to therapies that are effective for osteoarthritis in other locations. Osteoarthritis of the lumbar spine does cause low back pain...
- Microsurgical therapy of symptomatic lumbar juxta facet cystsM F Oertel
Department of Neurosurgery, Aachen University Medical School, University Hospital, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 46:349-53. 2003..The authors present their experiences with microsurgically treated JFC. This rare pathology is discussed with special focus on therapeutic concepts and long-term outcome...
- Human lumbar facet joint capsule strains: II. Alteration of strains subsequent to anterior interbody fixationJesse S Little
Department of Biomedical Engineering, HSC T18 030, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8181, USA
Spine J 4:153-62. 2004..In cases of low back pain associated with biomechanical lumbar instability, anterior interbody fixation can be used as a surgical treatment, but its affect on facet joint capsule strains is unknown...
- The significance of increased fluid signal on magnetic resonance imaging in lumbar facets in relationship to degenerative spondylolisthesisChristopher Chaput
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Scott and White Clinic and Memorial Hospital, Temple, TX 76508, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1883-7. 2007..Retrospective radiographic review of consecutive patients with universally applied standard...
- Radiofrequency denervation of the lumbar zygapophysial joints--targeting the best practiceMichael Gofeld
Pain Management Program, Department of Anesthesia, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pain Med 9:204-11. 2008..Each has conceptual and technical limitations. This review analyzes these techniques and proposes a standardized technique of radiofrequency denervation of lumbar zygapophysial joints...
- Viscosupplementation in lumbar facet joint arthropathy: a pilot studyMay Cleary
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cappagh National Orthopaedic Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Spinal Disord Tech 21:29-32. 2008..Hyaluronic acid (HA) therapy is still in its infancy in joints outside the knee, although some preliminary results are promising...
- Traumatic lumbosacral dislocation: report of two casesAthanasios I Tsirikos
Department of Spinal Surgery, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust, Middlesex, UK
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E164-8. 2004..A retrospective study of 2 patients with traumatic lumbosacral dislocation...
- Industrial medicine and acute musculoskeletal rehabilitation. 5. Interventional procedures for work-related lumbar spine conditionsRobert W Irwin
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:S22-8. 2007..Current criterion treatments for lumbar disk pain, including surgical options, are reviewed...
- PLIF with a titanium cage and excised facet joint bone for degenerative spondylolisthesis--in augmentation with a pedicle screwKoichiro Okuyama
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Akita Rosai Hospital, Akita 018 5604, Japan
J Spinal Disord Tech 20:53-9. 2007..To determine the validity of posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF) using a titanium cage filled with excised facet joint bone and a pedicle screw for degenerative spondylolisthesis...
- Prevalence of lumbar facet arthrosis and its relationship to age, sex, and race: an anatomic study of cadaveric specimensJason David Eubanks
Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2058-62. 2007..An anatomic, epidemiologic study of facet arthrosis in cadaveric lumbar spines...
- Minimally invasive surgical treatment of lumbar synovial cystsFaheem A Sandhu
Section of Neurosurgery, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Neurosurgery 54:107-11; discussion 111-2. 2004..Surgical treatment is directed at complete excision of the cyst. We used minimally invasive surgical techniques for a series of patients, to assess the effectiveness of this approach for resection of synovial cysts...
- Clinical characteristics and surgical management for juxtafacet cysts of the lumbar spineTohru Terao
Department of Neurosurgery, Tokyo Metropolitan Neurological Hospital, Fuchu, Tokyo, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 47:250-7; discussion 257. 2007..Concomitant spinal fixation to prevent progression of spinal spondylolisthesis or cyst recurrence depends on cyst size, involvement of surrounding structures, degree of preoperative spondylolisthesis, and facet joint destruction...
- Paraspinal abscess complicated by endocarditis following a facet joint injectionBryan C Hoelzer
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street, S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Eur J Pain 12:261-5. 2008..With the increase in interventional pain procedures, physicians must be aware of potential infectious complications...
- Ultrasound-guided and CT-navigation-assisted periradicular and facet joint injections in the lumbar and cervical spine: a new teaching tool to recognize the sonoanatomic patternKlaus Galiano
Clinic of Neurosurgery, Medical University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Reg Anesth Pain Med 32:254-7. 2007..The aim of this study is to provide a teaching tool to facilitate the acquirement of periradicular and facet-joint infiltration techniques in the cervical and lumbar spine...
- Lumbar radiculopathy after zygapophyseal joint injectionA Sehgal
Department of Anaesthesia, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich NR4 7UY, UK
Br J Anaesth 99:412-4. 2007We report a case of lumbar radiculopathy after zygapophyseal joint injections for chronic low back pain. The management of the patient and potential causes for the radiculopathy are discussed...
- Pain-related fear is associated with avoidance of spinal motion during recovery from low back painJames S Thomas
School of Physical Therapy, Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E460-6. 2007..A longitudinal assessment of the association between pain-related fear and joint motions in 36 participants with subacute low back pain...
- Using image-guided techniques for chronic low back painStephen S Boyajian
Advanced Pain Consultants, PA, 805 Cooper Rd, Suite 2, Voorhees, NJ 08043 3814, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 107:ES3-9. 2007....
- Age-related prevalence of facet-joint involvement in chronic neck and low back painLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
Pain Physician 11:67-75. 2008..The studies of low back pain have shown the prevalence of facet joint involvement to be approximately 15% to 45%. However, age related prevalence of facet joint neck pain has not been studied...
- Evaluation of chiropractic management of pediatric patients with low back pain: a prospective cohort studyJill A Hayden
Institute for Work and Health, 481 University Avenue, 8th Floor, Toronto M5G 2E9, Ontario, Canada
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 26:1-8. 2003..A literature search revealed no published studies addressing conservative treatment of childhood LBP...
- The prevalence of lumbar facet joint edema in patients with low back painKlaus M Friedrich
Division of MSK, Department of Radiology, Center of Excellence for High Field MRI, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090, Vienna, Austria
Skeletal Radiol 36:755-60. 2007..The objective was to assess the prevalence of lumbar facet joint edema in patients with low back pain...
- A robotic testing facility for the measurement of the mechanics of spinal jointsH de Visser
School of Engineering Systems, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 221:221-7. 2007..5 deg/s) usually did not change these results significantly. The novel six-degrees-of-freedom robotic testing facility used in this study was demonstrated to be an effective system for studying the mechanics of complex biological joints...
- Ultrasound-guided lumbar facet nerve block: a sonoanatomic study of a new methodologic approachManfred Greher
Department of Anesthesiology and General Intensive Care B, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Anesthesiology 100:1242-8. 2004..In this three-part study, the authors developed a new ultrasound-guided methodology, described the necessary landmarks and views, assessed ultrasound-derived distances, and tested the clinical feasibility...
- Intraarticular hyaluronic acid versus glucocorticoid injections for nonradicular pain in the lumbar spineSusanne Fuchs
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Munster, Albert Schweitzer Str 33, D 48129, Munster, Germany
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:1493-8. 2005..To investigate the efficacy and safety of intraarticular sodium hyaluronate (SH) compared with intraarticular glucocorticoids (triamcinolone acetonide; TA) in the treatment of chronic nonradicular lumbar pain...
- Biomechanical evaluation of different asymmetrical posterior stabilization methods for minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar interbody fusionPhilipp Schleicher
Centrum für Muskuloskeletale Chirurgie, Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Berlin
J Neurosurg Spine 9:363-71. 2008..The goal in this study was to compare different posterior stabilization methods for minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF) biomechanically...
- Diagnosing lumbar zygapophysial joint painNikolai Bogduk
University of Newcastle, Department of Clinical Research, Royal Newcastle Hospital, Australia
Pain Med 6:139-42. 2005
- Progressive enlargement of a lumbar zygapophyseal cystMyron M Laban
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 84:821. 2005
- Lumbar synovial cysts of the spine: an evaluation of surgical outcomeAmir M Khan
Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:127-31. 2005..Our aim was to study the outcomes and results of surgically treated patients with synovial cysts of the lumbar spine in our institution...
Research Grants101 found, 100 shown here
- Z Joint Changes in Low Back Pain Following AdjustingGregory Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Oral Opioid Treatment and Psychiatric ComorbidityAjay Wasan; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Z Joint Changes in Low Back Pain Following AdjustingGregory Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of this study will be used to increase understanding of the mechanism of action of lumbar side posture adjusting and side-posture positioning in acute LBP patients. ..
- Curriculum Development in Evidence Based PracticeGregory Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007..This four year program should significantly improve the already rich culture of scholarship at NUHS. ..
- THE EFFECTS OF POSITIONING AND ADJUSTING ON THE Z JOINTGregory Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Prevention of Neck Injuries in Older Adults During Rear Motor Vehicle CollsionsPAUL IVANCIC; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed project will provide important research-based data that may form the basis for future safety standards and help to decrease the frequency and severity of neck injuries in older adults, thus benefiting society. ..
- Prevention of Neck Injuries in Older Adults During Rear Motor Vehicle CollsionsPAUL IVANCIC; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed project will provide important research-based data that may form the basis for future safety standards and help to decrease the frequency and severity of neck injuries in older adults, thus benefiting society. ..
- Nociceptive Mechanisms in Whiplash InjuryBeth A Winkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings from these studies have the potential to identify and enable development of effective treatments and clinical management approaches for this chronic pain syndrome, as well as for facet joint- mediated low back pain. ..
- Measures of Human Receptor and Post Receptor ActivityDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2007..We propose as part of aim 3 to improve our understanding of these relationships as well as to improve our analysis of visual field data. ..
- ROLE OF BIOMECHANICS/NEURAL PLASTICITY IN RADICULAR PAINBeth Winkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2002..age analysis will be used to determine the local strain tensor for particular tissue components. Tissue bins will be correlated with mechanical allodynia and neuroimmune mediators of persistent pain. ..
- CRANIOFACIAL DEVELOPMENT: METABOLIC CONTROL OF APOPTOSISIrving Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 2003..Taken together, these studies should highlight the molecular basis of bone cell apoptosis, a phenomenon that is now considered critical for bone growth and skeletal remodeling. ..
- Studying models and mechanisms of optic nerve diseasesDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2009..The experiments under Aim 4 are designed to improve on the currently available methods of recording and analyzing the multifocal VEP. The aim is to improve the efficacy of the multifocal VEP technique in the clinic. ..
- Nociceptive Mechanisms in Whiplash InjuryBeth A Winkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2010..Physiologic correlates of these injuries and symptoms are also characterized to guide future development of preventions and treatments for neck pain from this common class of injuries for vehicle occupants. ..
- Robotically Assisted Mouse InterventionsKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. Perform a feasibility study using 10 mice to demonstrate the ability of the robot to biopsy the mouse flank as selected on the MRI images and evaluate the accuracy of the system. ..
- Software Toolkit for Image Guided SurgeryKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..Dissemination activities will be undertaken with the aim of fostering the use of the toolkit in research and clinical applications. ..
- Continued Development for The Image-guided Surgical Toolkit Project (IGSTK)Kevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Image Overlay for MRI-Guided Needle InsertionsJohn Carrino; Fiscal Year: 2007..It can also reduce variability among practitioners, facilitate training, and serve as a research validation tool by providing precisely placed minimally invasive percutaneous conduit under MR guidance. ..
- Core--ES Cell and Microinjection FacilityMichael Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2007..All of these alleles and technologies have been successfully implemented by the Core Directors, and many of the specific innovations were developed through prior support of this Project. ..
- Studying models and mechanisms of optic nerve diseasesDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2007..The experiments under Aim 4 are designed to improve on the currently available methods of recording and analyzing the multifocal VEP. The aim is to improve the efficacy of the multifocal VEP technique in the clinic. ..
- Predicting Recurrence of Low Back Pain - Study #2James Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our long-term goal is to use this information to develop an assessment protocol that can be easily adopted into clinical practice. ..
- Neurophysiology of Whiplash PainJohn Cavanaugh; Fiscal Year: 2006..Immunocytochemistry will be used to identif2? nerves containing substance P (SP) and calcitonin gene related peptide (CGRP), neuropeptides associated with pain and beta amyloid precursor protein betaAPP). ..
- NEUROPHYSIOLOGY OF THE LUMBAR DISC AND ADJACENT TISSUEJohn Cavanaugh; Fiscal Year: 2001..The applicants believe that these approaches will lead to a better understanding of the role of disc injury and nuclear material in low back pain and sciatica, and that the outcomes may be useful in guiding treatment. ..
- Tests of Models of Retinal/Optic Nerve Diseases&AdaptionDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, patients with acute optic neuritis will be followed with behavioral and mVEP techniques. An attempt will be made to understand the recovery o vision following optic neuritis (ON). ..
- Local Tissue Biomechanics in Low Back & Radicular PainBeth Winkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2004..To accomplish this, in vivo tissue strains will be correlated with mechanical allodynia and neuroimmune mediators of persistent pain. ..
- OR2020 Workshop: Operating Room of the FutureKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2004..The workshop is currently scheduled to be held from April 16-17, 2004, at Turf Valley Conference Center in Ellicot City, Maryland. ..
- MEASURE OF RECEPTOR AND POST RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2002..monkeys in which INL activity is pharmacologically dissected, b. normal human subjects, c. patients with disease of the INL, and d. mathematical work. ..
- Measurement of Instability in Cervical Spine DisordersJohn Hipp; Fiscal Year: 2005..This would facilitate adoption of the new technology into routine clinical practice. A clinically efficacious method to quantify cervical spine stability could benefit hundreds of thousands of patients. ..
- MEASURE OF HUMAN RECEPTOR AND POST-RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1993..Thus, we propose to develop a model of the human ERG that encompasses the activity of the inner nuclear layer as well as the receptors...
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2000..This could be especially valuable in assessing retinal function of patients with heterogeneous damage as in retinitis pigmentosa, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma. ..
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE AND ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1991..Finally, we intend to obtain a better understanding of the relative involvement of the rod and different cone mechanisms in retinitis pigmentosa and in progressive cone dystrophy...
- A Novel Model of TMJ Osteoarthritis to Define Glial Reactivity in Chronic PainBeth Winkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2007..It also identifies the time course of physiologic mechanisms of these disorders, and will provide the basis for future studies to investigate potential pharmacologic therapies for chronic TMJ pain. ..