- Dynamic change of dural sac cross-sectional area in axial loaded magnetic resonance imaging correlates with the severity of clinical symptoms in patients with lumbar spinal canal stenosis
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:207-13. 2012
..OBJECTIVE.: To examine whether the dural sac cross-sectional area (DCSA) in axial loaded magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) correlates with the severity of clinical symptoms in patients with lumbar spinal canal stenosis (LSCS).
- Axial loading during magnetic resonance imaging in patients with lumbar spinal canal stenosis: does it reproduce the positional change of the dural sac detected by upright myelography?
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nishitaga National Hospital, Sendai, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:E985-92. 2012
We compared the sizes of the dural sac among conventional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), axial loaded MRI, and upright myelography in patients with lumbar spinal canal stenosis (LSCS).
- Changes of cervical spinal cord and cervical spinal canal with age in asymptomatic subjects
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Spinal Cord 41:159-63. 2003
..Prospective study on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and radiographic findings of the cervical spine...
- Spinal canal size and clinical symptoms among persons diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis
Michael E Geisser
The Spine Program, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Michigan Health System, 325 E Eisenhower Parkway, Ann Arbor, MI 48108, USA
Clin J Pain 23:780-5. 2007
..The purpose of the present study was to examine the relationship between clinical symptoms associated with LSS and osseous anterior-posterior (AP) spinal canal diameter as measured on axial magnetic resonance imaging.
- Pathological impairments induced by interstitial implantation of 125I seeds in spinal canal of banna mini-pigs
Department of Orthopaedics, Kunming General Hospital of Chengdu Military Command, Kunming, Yunnan 650118, PR China
World J Surg Oncol 10:48. 2012
..Use a banna mini-pig to set up 125I implantation model, and investigate the consequence of radiation-related impairments...
- Magnetic resonance 4D flow characteristics of cerebrospinal fluid at the craniocervical junction and the cervical spinal canal
Alexander C Bunck
Department of Clinical Radiology, University Hospital of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Eur Radiol 21:1788-96. 2011
To evaluate the applicability of 4D phase contrast (4D PC) MR imaging in the assessment of cerebrospinal fluid dynamics in healthy volunteers and patients with lesions at the craniocervical junction or the cervical spinal canal.
- Genetic inactivation of ERK1 and ERK2 in chondrocytes promotes bone growth and enlarges the spinal canal
Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Orthop Res 29:375-9. 2011
..in the cranial base and vertebrae, accounting for the sometimes fatal stenosis of the foramen magnum and spinal canal in achondroplasia...
- Normal morphology, age-related changes and abnormal findings of the cervical spine. Part II: Magnetic resonance imaging of over 1,200 asymptomatic subjects
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chubu Rosai Hospital, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Eur Spine J 21:1499-507. 2012
The aim of this study is to establish standard MRI values for the cervical spinal canal, dural tube, and spinal cord, to evaluate age-related changes in healthy subjects, and to assess the prevalence of abnormal findings in asymptomatic ..
- An interspinous process distractor (X STOP) for lumbar spinal stenosis in elderly patients: preliminary experiences in 10 consecutive cases
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
J Spinal Disord Tech 17:72-7; discussion 78. 2004
..Lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) is often a position-dependent condition that is aggravated in extension and relieved in flexion...
- A segmental partial laminectomy for cervical spondylotic myelopathy: anatomical basis and clinical outcome in comparison with expansive open-door laminoplasty
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Fukushima City, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:268-73. 2009
..A comparative study regarding the clinical outcome of the 2-different surgical procedures for patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy (CSM)...
- Acutely progressing paraplegia caused by traumatic disc herniation through posterior Schmorl's node opening into the spinal canal in lumbar Scheuermann's disease
Kwang Sup Song
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 36:E1588-91. 2011
..A case report...
- Nocturnal leg cramps: a common complaint in patients with lumbar spinal canal stenosis
Department of Advanced Therapy for Spine and Spinal Cord Disease, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E189-94. 2009
Questionnaire survey on leg cramps for patients with lumbar spinal canal stenosis (LCS).
- How does spinal canal decompression and dorsal stabilization affect segmental mobility? A biomechanical study
Karl Stefan Delank
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Cologne University, Joseph Stelzmann Street 9, 50924 Cologne, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 130:285-92. 2010
When decompression of the lumbar spinal canal is performed, segmental stability might be affected...
- Sex discrepancy in the canal/body ratio of the cervical spine implicating the prevalence of cervical myelopathy in men
Tane daini Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:250-3. 2002
..A radiographic analysis of the cervical spine in healthy young adults...
- Evidence for altered spinal canal compliance and cerebral venous drainage in untreated idiopathic intracranial hypertension
Department of Radiology, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Acta Neurochir Suppl 114:201-5. 2012
..A novel analysis of MRI measurements of blood and CSF flow to and from the cranial and spinal canal compartments employing lumped parameters modeling of the cranio-spinal biomechanics provided, for the first ..
- Vertebral stabilization using positively threaded profile pins and polymethylmethacrylate, with or without laminectomy, for spinal canal stenosis and vertebral instability caused by congenital thoracic vertebral anomalies
Aikawa Veterinary Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
Vet Surg 36:432-41. 2007
To describe diagnostic findings, surgical technique, and outcome in dogs with thoracic spinal canal stenosis and vertebral instability secondary to congenital vertebral anomalies.
- Ethnic differences in pedicle and bony spinal canal dimensions calculated from computed tomography of the cervical spine: a review of the English-language literature
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Utsunomiya National Hospital, Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan
Eur Spine J 21:1451-8. 2012
The aims of this study were to review published data on pedicle dimensions and bony spinal canal diameters calculated from CT examinations of the cervical spine through the English-language literature and analyze these data for ethnic ..
- Volumetric spinal canal intrusion: a comparison between thoracic pedicle screws and thoracic hooks
David W Polly
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC 20307 5001, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:63-9. 2004
..A computer-aided design analysis...
- Magnetic resonance imaging in the evaluation of the fetal spinal canal contents
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Institute of Mother and Child, Kasprzaka 17a, 01 211 Warsaw, Poland
Brain Dev 33:10-20. 2011
..the first method in the evaluation of fetal central nervous system (CNS) abnormalities but in case of the spinal canal and cord it is often insufficient since the bony structures may obscure these structures...
- Ricochet of a bullet in the spinal canal: a case report and review of the literature on bullet migration
Institute of Legal Medicine, University of Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
J Forensic Sci 55:1371-4. 2010
Ricochet of a bullet in the spinal canal is well known by neurosurgeons but relatively not a common event in usual medico-legal autopsy practice...
- Cervical spinal canal plasticity in children as determined by the vertebral body ratio technique
M D Robinson
Department of Neurosurgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 15:1003-5. 1990
..With the pediatric spinal canal vulnerable to various intracanalicular influences, the canal ratio may reflect early disease processes.
- Soft cervical disc herniation. Influence of cervical spinal canal measurements on development of neurologic symptoms
Department of Neurosurgery, General Hospital St Norbertus, Duffel, Belgium
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1996-2002. 1999
..because of soft cervical disc herniation, the sagittal and transverse diameters, the area of the bony cervical spinal canal, the sagittal diameter of the hernia, and the minimal bony intervertebral foramen diameter were measured by ..
- Exploration and decompression of the spinal canal using split laminotomy and its modification, the "archbone" technique
National Institute of Neurosurgery, Budapest, Hungary
Neurosurgery 62:ONS432-40; discussion ONS440-1. 2008
To develop a novel minimally invasive approach suitable for exploring different pathologies located in the spinal canal, allowing moderate enlargement of the canal with preservation of the majority of posterior structures so muscle ..
- Indirect spinal canal decompression in burst fractures treated with pedicle screw instrumentation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:113-23. 1996
STUDY DESIGN: Prospective evaluation of spinal canal areas in 67 consecutive burst fractures between T12 and L2 treated by reduction and stabilization with a pedicle fixator...
- The significance of thoracolumbar spinal canal size in spinal cord injury patients
A R Vaccaro
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:371-6. 2001
..A prospective, consecutive case series...
- The effect of surgery and remodelling on spinal canal measurements after thoracolumbar burst fractures
Department of Orthopedics, Institute of Surgical Sciences, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Eur Spine J 10:55-63. 2001
Bone fragments in the spinal canal after thoracolumbar spine injuries causing spinal canal narrowing is a frequent phenomenon. Efforts to remove such fragments are often considered...
- Sagittal splitting laminoplasty for spinal canal enlargement for ossification of the spinal ligaments (OPLL and OLF)
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Iwate Medical University School of Medicine, 19--1 Uchimaru, Morioka 020--8505, Japan
Semin Musculoskelet Radiol 5:203-6. 2001
..The enlarged spinal canal was maintained satisfactorily in all the cases, and the posterior spinal elements were also almost completely ..
- The relationship between spinal stenosis and neurological outcome in traumatic cervical spine injury: an analysis using Pavlov's ratio, spinal cord area, and spinal canal area
Kyung Jin Song
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, College of Medicine, Research Institute of Clinical Medicine, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Korea
Clin Orthop Surg 1:11-8. 2009
..the relationship between four radiological parameters (Pavlov's ratio, sagittal diameter, spinal cord area, and spinal canal area) in patients with a traumatic cervical spine injury, as well as the correlation between these parameters ..
- Correlation between neurological deficit and spinal canal compromise in 198 patients with thoracolumbar and lumbar fractures
Orthopedics Department, Santa Casa School of Medicine of São Paulo, Brazil
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:787-91. 2005
Review the correlation between loss of spinal canal diameter and neurological deficits in patients with thoracolumbar and lumbar burst fractures.
- Biomechanical assessment of minimally invasive decompression for lumbar spinal canal stenosis: a cadaver study
Emory Spine Center, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 22:486-91. 2009
..A biomechanical study on the cadaveric human lumbar spine...
- Neurogenic intermittent claudication in lumbar spinal canal stenosis: the clinical relationship between the local pressure of the intervertebral foramen and the clinical findings in lumbar spinal canal stenosis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fukuoka University, Jyonan ku, Fukuoka, Japan
J Spinal Disord Tech 22:130-4. 2009
The clinical relationship between the local pressure of the intervertebral foramen and the clinical findings in lumbar spinal canal stenosis were evaluated.
- Morphology of the lumbar spinal canal in normal adult Turks
Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, Dicle University Medical Faculty, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Yonsei Med J 44:679-85. 2003
Pathological changes can occur in the diameters of the lumbar spinal canal. Therefore, assessing the canal size an important diagnostic procedure. Two hundred plain anterioposterior radiographs of the lumbar spine were examined...
- The effects of removal of bullet fragments retained in the spinal canal. A collaborative study by the National Spinal Cord Injury Model Systems
R L Waters
Rancho Los Amigos Medical Center, Downey, California
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 16:934-9. 1991
Serial motor and sensory examinations were conducted on 90 patients with bullet fragments lodged in the spinal canal. Annual follow-up examinations were completed on 66 patients...
- CT myelography and MR imaging of extramedullary cysts of the spinal canal in adult and pediatric patients
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University Medical Center and the Department of Radiology, Barnes Hospital, 550 S Euclid Ave, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:201-7. 2002
- The optimal radiologic method for assessing spinal canal compromise and cord compression in patients with cervical spinal cord injury. Part II: Results of a multicenter study
M G Fehlings
Division of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto, Toronto Hospital Western Division
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:605-13. 1999
..A multicenter, retrospective study using computed tomographic and magnetic resonance imaging data to establish quantitative, reliable criteria of canal compromise and cord compression in patients with cervical spinal cord injury...
- Characterization of cyclic CSF flow in the foramen magnum and upper cervical spinal canal with MR flow imaging and computational fluid dynamics
Scientific Computing Department, Simula Research Laboratory, Lysaker, Norway
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 31:997-1002. 2010
..CFD shows that the pressure and flow patterns vary from level to level in the upper spinal canal and differ between patients with Chiari and healthy volunteers...
- Herniation and entrapment of a nerve root secondary to an unrepaired small dural laceration at lumbar hemilaminectomies
Department of Neurosurgery, National Cardio Vascular Center, Osaka, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2576-9. 1995
..Even a small tear in the spinal dura requires surgical closure to prevent herniation and entrapment of a nerve root. It is necessary to repair even small dural lacerations with no spinal fluid leakage during spinal surgery...
- Long term outcome with post-operative radiation therapy for spinal canal ependymoma
Sasha H Wahab
Department of Radiation Oncology, Washington University School of Medicine, 4921 Parkview Place, Lower Level, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Neurooncol 83:85-9. 2007
A retrospective study was performed to evaluate the long term efficacy and safety of post-operative radiation therapy in the management of spinal canal ependymoma at our institution.
- Analysis of screw placement relative to the aorta and spinal canal following anterior instrumentation for thoracic idiopathic scoliosis
Daniel J Sucato
Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas, Texas, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:554-9; discussion 559. 2004
..Axial computed tomographic (CT) evaluation of the position of anterior vertebral body screws placed thoracoscopically in patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS)...
- Lateral lumbar spinal canal stenosis: classification, pathologic anatomy and surgical decompression
C K Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 13:313-20. 1988
The lateral region of the lumbar spinal canal is subject to pathologic alterations which encroach upon the neural structures located within...
- Anesthetic management of a patient in prone position with a drill bit penetrating the spinal canal at C1-C2, using a laryngeal mask
Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Anesth Analg 98:1447-50, table of contents. 2004
..The bit had entered the spinal canal below the first cervical vertebra, and placed near the odontoid peg...
- An extreme lateral access for the surgery of lumbar disc herniations inside the spinal canal using the full-endoscopic uniportal transforaminal approach-technique and prospective results of 463 patients
Department for Spine Surgery and Pain Therapy, Clinic for Orthopaedics and Traumatology, St Anna Hospital, Herne, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2570-8. 2005
..Prospective study of patients with lumbar disc herniations who were operated on with a full-endoscopic uniportal transforaminal approach using an extreme lateral access...
- Outcomes of posterior fusion using pedicle screw fixation in patients >or=70 years with lumbar spinal canal stenosis
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Orthopedics 31:1096. 2008
..of spinal fusion using pedicle screw fixation were evaluated in patients older than 70 years with lumbar spinal canal stenosis...
- Air in the spinal canal after skull base fracture
Am J Emerg Med 20:64-5. 2002
- The relationship between the cervical spinal canal diameter and the pathological changes in the cervical spine
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Eur Spine J 18:877-83. 2009
A congenitally narrow cervical spinal canal has been established as an important risk factor for the development of cervical spondylotic myelopathy. However, few reports have described the mechanism underlying this risk...
- Spontaneous remodeling of the spinal canal after conservative management of thoracolumbar burst fractures
L W de Klerk
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1057-60. 1998
..with a burst fracture of the thoracic, thoracolumbar, or lumbar spine with more than 25% stenosis of the spinal canal were reviewed more than 1 year after injury to investigate spontaneous remodeling of the spinal canal...
- The anatomy of the thoracic spinal canal investigated with magnetic resonance imaging
Luiz Eduardo Imbelloni
Hospital de Base FAMERP, Sao Jose do Rio Preto, Sao Paulo, Brasil
Anesth Analg 110:1494-5. 2010
..We investigated, with magnetic resonance imaging, the distance of the dura mater to the spinal cord in patients without spinal or medullar disease at the 2nd, 5th, and 10th thoracic segments...
- Observer variability in assessing lumbar spinal stenosis severity on magnetic resonance imaging and its relation to cross-sectional spinal canal area
Alex C Speciale
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:1082-6. 2002
..Magnetic resonance image grading of lumbar spinal stenosis severity was analyzed retrospectively using a common clinical format...
- Cervicothoracolumbar pneumorachis. Case report and review of the literature
Department of Neurosurgery, Trieste University Hospital, 34149 Trieste, Italy
Surg Neurol 64:80-2. 2005
..It is even rarer when its occurrence is not associated with injuries in the skull base, chest, abdomen, pelvis, or spine. Pneumorachis extending through the entire spinal canal has never been reported.
- Comparison of enlargement of the spinal canal after cervical laminoplasty: open-door type and double-door type
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Teikyo University School of Medicine, 11 1 Kaga 2 Chome, Itabashi, Tokyo, Japan
Eur Spine J 19:1690-4. 2010
The purpose of this study was to compare the degree of enlargement of the spinal canal between two methods of cervical laminoplasty (open-door laminoplasty and double-door laminoplasty) and to determine their appropriate surgical ..
- The significance of spinal canal dimensions in discriminating symptomatic from asymptomatic disc herniations
Spinal Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Eur Spine J 11:575-81. 2002
b>Spinal canal dimensions are assumed to play a significant role with regard to the development of symptoms in individuals with disc herniations...
- Intramedullary and spinal canal tumors in patients with neurofibromatosis 2: MR imaging findings and correlation with genotype
N J Patronas
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Dr, MSC 1182, Rm 1C660, Bethesda, MD 20892 1182, USA
Radiology 218:434-42. 2001
- A case report of firearm bullet settling into the thoracic spinal canal without causing neurological deficit or vertebral bone destruction
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Meram Medicine, Selcuk University, Armagan Mah Sahne Sok No 4, 42090 Meram, Konya, Turkey
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:637-41. 2007
..There has been no previous report in the literature regarding a foreign body settling into the vertebral canal following gunshot injury without causing any bony destruction...
- A unique occurrence of a cerebral atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor in an infant and a spinal canal primitive neuroectodermal tumor in her father
Department of Pathology, Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
J Neurooncol 61:219-25. 2003
..central nervous system (CNS)--a cerebral atypical teratoid/rhabdoid tumor (AT/RT) in a 5-month-old girl and a spinal canal primitive neuroectodermal tumor (PNET) in her father...
- Percutaneous radiofrequency ablation of painful spinal tumors adjacent to the spinal cord with real-time monitoring of spinal canal temperature: a prospective study
Department of Radiology, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu, Mie, Japan
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 32:70-5. 2009
To prospectively evaluate the feasibility, safety, and clinical utility of bone radiofrequency (RF) ablation with real-time monitoring of the spinal canal temperature for the treatment of spinal tumors adjacent to the spinal cord.
- Comparison between MRI and myelography in lumbar spinal canal stenosis for the decision of levels of decompression surgery
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Izumi Municipal Hospital, Fuchu Izumi City, Osaka, Japan
J Spinal Disord Tech 24:31-6. 2011
..A retrospective case-control study...
- The effect of anterior spinal fusion on spinal canal development in an immature porcine model
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E501-6. 2009
- Spinal pneumorrhachis
S R Cayli
School of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery, Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey
Br J Neurosurg 17:72-4. 2003
The term pneumorrhachis refers to the presence of air in the spinal canal. There are only a few previously reported cases in the literature...
- Anatomy of the extradural compartments of the lumbar spinal canal. Peridural membrane and circumneural sheath
L L Wiltse
Department of Orthopaedics, Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, Long Beach, CA, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 38:1177-206. 2000
The development of newer and more accurate methods of identifying the structures within the spinal canal has given a much better understanding of the soft tissue structures that lie between the dura and the surrounding bone of the ..
- Influence of X Stop on neural foramina and spinal canal area in spinal stenosis
Department of Orthopaedics, Woodend Hospital, Eday Road, Aberdeen, Scotland AB15 6XS U K
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:2958-62. 2006
Measurements of cross sections of exit foramen and spinal canal were performed before and after placement of X Stop in physiologic postures using positional MR scanner at the stenosed level in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis.
- Interscalene brachial plexus block: can the risk of entering the spinal canal be reduced? A study of needle angles in volunteers undergoing magnetic resonance imaging
Anand M Sardesai
Department of Anesthesia, Addenbrooke s Hospital, King s Lynn, UK
Anesthesiology 105:9-13. 2006
Spinal cord damage during interscalene brachial plexus block has been attributed to needle entry into the spinal canal. The purpose of this study was to identify the angles and depths of needle insertion that increase the likelihood of ..
- Surgical technique and results of endoscopic anterior spinal canal decompression
Departments of Surgery and Traumasurgery, Trauma Center Murnau, Murnau, Germany
J Neurosurg Spine 2:128-36. 2005
Decompression of the spinal canal in the management of thoracolumbar trauma is controversial, but many authors have advocated decompression in patients with severe canal compromise and neurological deficits...
- A Japanese family with FEOM1-linked congenital fibrosis of the extraocular muscles type 1 associated with spinal canal stenosis and refinement of the FEOM1 critical region
Department of Neurology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Honjo, 860 0811 Kumamoto, Japan
Neuromuscul Disord 13:472-8. 2003
..Unexpectedly, we found apparent spinal canal stenosis in the cervical spine in all affected family members who were examined...
- Tuberculoma of the cervical spinal canal mimicking en plaque meningioma
Department of Neurosurgery, Celal Bayar University School of Medicine, Manisa, Turkey
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:197-9. 2005
..Intradural extramedullary tuberculomas should be considered in the differential diagnosis of en plaque meningioma as a rare entity...
- MRI measurements of the cervical spine and their correlation to Pavlov's ratio
Sirikonda Siva Prasad
Arrowe Park Hospital, Upton, Wirral
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:1263-8. 2003
..Pavlov's ratio from plain radiographs in patients with neck pain but no radicular symptoms was compared with the areas of the cervical spinal cord and cerebrospinal fluid column on magnetic resonance scans...
- Variation in the human cervical neural canal
Nancy E Tatarek
Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Ohio University, 149 Bentley Annex, Athens, OH 45701, USA
Spine J 5:623-31. 2005
The dimensions of the cervical spinal canal can impact the likelihood of an individual suffering longtime effects from a spinal neck injury as well as influence recovery time...
- Lipoma with dumb-bell extradural extension through the intervertebral foramen into the spinal canal. Case report
Jin Soo Park
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kurume University School of Medicine, Fukuoka, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 2:69-71. 2005
..originating in the neck with dumb-bell extradural extension through the intervertebral foramen and into the spinal canal. The lipoma was first excised from the foramen via a posterior approach to allow decompression of the nerve ..
- Traumatic pneumorrhachis
Brian K P Goh
Department of General Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
J Trauma 58:875-9. 2005
..We also discuss the significance of this entity to the trauma specialist, paying special attention to the differences between air in the subarachnoid space versus air in the epidural space...
- Variation of the cervical spinal Torg ratio with gender and ethnicity
Jit Kheng Lim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National University Hospital, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074, Republic of Singapore
Spine J 4:396-401. 2004
..Normal values of this ratio have been established for subjects of different ethnicity, but the differences between genders and race have not been critically compared...
- Glass foreign body in the spinal canal of a child: case report and review of the literature
Douglas J Opel
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 20:468-72. 2004
..Physicians should have a low threshold for obtaining plain radiographs in patients with glass foreign bodies and consider that projectiles may rest some distance from the laceration site...
- A deformable-model approach to semi-automatic segmentation of CT images demonstrated by application to the spinal canal
Stuart S C Burnett
Department of Radiation Physics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Med Phys 31:251-63. 2004
..We illustrate the method by applying it to the spinal canal. Segmentation is performed in three steps: (a) partial delineation of the anatomic structure is obtained by ..
- Pneumorrhachis of the entire spinal canal
M F Oertel
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, School of Medicine, Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:1036. 2005
- Multiple neurenteric cysts in the posterior fossa and cervical spinal canal--case report
Department of Neurosurgery, Chukyo Hospital, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 44:146-9. 2004
A 46-year-old woman presented with multiple neurenteric cysts in the posterior fossa and spinal canal. Neuroimaging demonstrated neurenteric cysts in the interspace between the left cerebellar hemisphere and vermis, the lateral side of ..
- The influence of pulse and respiration on spinal cerebrospinal fluid pulsation
Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital, Eberhard Karls University, Tuebingen, Germany
Invest Radiol 39:120-30. 2004
..The aim of the study is to elucidate the location and amount of spinal cerebrospinal fluid pulsations and to differentiate and quantify the cardiac and the respiratory influence...
- The effect of body position and axial load on spinal canal morphology: an MRI study of central spinal stenosis
Institute of Sports Science and Clinical Biomechanics, Part of Clinical Locomotion Science, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:61-7. 2008
..A method comparison study...
- Anatomic changes of the spinal canal and intervertebral foramen associated with flexion-extension movement
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:2412-20. 1996
STUDY DESIGN: A cadaveric study was done to analyze the dimensional changes in the spinal canal and intervertebral foramen of the lumber spine with flexion and extension movements...
- Comparison of the effect of 3 different approaches to the lumbar spinal canal on postoperative paraspinal muscle damage
Department of Neurosurgery, Kushiro Rosai Hospital, Hokkaido 085 8533, Japan
Surg Neurol 69:109-13; discussion 113. 2008
..To assess the effect of 3 different surgical approaches on paraspinal muscle atrophy in patients undergoing lumbar back surgery, we compared their pre- and postoperative CT scans and their serum Hb, CRP, and CPK levels...
- The optimal radiologic method for assessing spinal canal compromise and cord compression in patients with cervical spinal cord injury. Part I: An evidence-based analysis of the published literature
S C Rao
Division of Neurosurgery and Spinal Program, University of Toronto, Toronto Hospital Western Division, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:598-604. 1999
STUDY DESIGN: An evidence-based analysis of published radiologic criteria for assessing spinal canal compromise and cord compression in patients with acute cervical spinal cord injury...
- The cross-sectional area of the cervical spinal canal in patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy. Correlation of preoperative and postoperative area with clinical symptoms
Department of Neurosurgery, Grosshadern University Hospital, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:1990-4; discussion 1995. 1997
..patients undergoing surgery for cervical spinal myelopathy depends on the transsectional area of the cervical spinal canal. METHODS: Forty-five patients underwent surgery using different techniques to enlarge the width of the spinal ..
- The Torg--Pavlov ratio in cervical spondylotic myelopathy: a comparative study between patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy and a nonspondylotic, nonmyelopathic population
W M Yue
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1760-4. 2001
..SUMMARY OF BACKGROUND DATA: Patients with congenital cervical spinal canal stenosis are more likely to develop cervical spondylotic myelopathy...
- Morphologic analysis of the cervical spinal cord, dural tube, and spinal canal by magnetic resonance imaging in normal adults and patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Tokushima, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:2331-5. 1994
STUDY DESIGN. Transverse areas of the spinal canal, the dural tube and the spinal cord of the cervical spine of normal adults and patients with cervical spondylotic myelopathy (CSM) were analyzed by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)...
- Roentgenographic evaluation of ossification and calcification of the lumbar spinal canal after intradiscal betamethasone injection
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Tohkai Spine Center, Gifu Prefectural Tajimi Hospital, Gifu, Japan
J Spinal Disord 14:434-8. 2001
There have been reports of lumbar spinal canal ossification and calcification after triamcinolone intradiscal injection therapy...
- Hydrodynamic modeling of cerebrospinal fluid motion within the spinal cavity
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 60607, USA
J Biomech Eng 123:71-9. 2001
..In the present work, a geometric and hydrodynamic characterization of an anatomically relevant spinal canal model is presented...
- MR measurement of cerebrospinal fluid velocity wave speed in the spinal canal
Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL 60607 7022, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:1765-8. 2009
Noninvasive measurement of the speed with which the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) velocity wave travels through the spinal canal is of interest as a potential indicator of CSF system pressure and compliance, both of which may play a role in ..
- Epidural puncture can be confirmed by the Queckenstedt-test procedure in patients with cervical spinal canal stenosis
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 52:256-61. 2008
..Thus, in this study, we examined the effect of spinal stenosis on the Queckenstedt-test procedure...
- Surgical approaches: postoperative care and complications "posterolateral-far lateral transcondylar approach to the ventral foramen magnum and upper cervical spinal canal"
Arnold H Menezes
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, 1824 JPP, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Childs Nerv Syst 24:1203-7. 2008
Lesions that affect the lower clivus, foramen magnum, the craniocervical junction, and the upper cervical spinal canal that are anterolateral and at times intradural require access ventral to the cerebellum and spinal cord...
- Ultrasonographic determination of neonatal spinal canal depth
O J Arthurs
Department of Radiology, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 93:F451-4. 2008
To determine by ultrasound (US) the spinal canal depth (SCD) in neonates and subsequently establish a nomogram and simple formula for calculating this distance.
- Heat distribution in the spinal canal during radiofrequency ablation for vertebral lesions: study in swine
Department of Pathophysiological and Therapeutic Science, Division of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, 36 1 Nishicho, Yonago, Tottori 683 8504, Japan
Radiology 247:374-80. 2008
..To prospectively evaluate the safety of radiofrequency (RF) ablation for vertebral lesions by monitoring the temperature in swine vertebral models with and without a cortical bone defect...
- A case of multiple schwannomas of the trigeminal nerves, acoustic nerves, lower cranial nerves, brachial plexuses and spinal canal: schwannomatosis or neurofibromatosis?
Jung Yong Ahn
Department of Neurosurgery, Pundang CHA Hospital, Pochon CHA University, Sungnam, 463 070, Korea
Yonsei Med J 43:109-13. 2002
..Following is this patient case report of multiple schwannomas presenting with no skin manifestations of neurofibromatosis...
- Clinical implications of epidural fat in the spinal canal. A scanning electron microscopic study
M A Reina
Department of Anesthesiology, Hospital Universitario Madrid Montepríncipe, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad San Pablo CEU, Madrid, Spain
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 60:7-17. 2009
..This review of articles summarizes recent developments in relation to fat located in the epidural space and also in dural sleeves of spinal nerve roots in order to improve our understanding of the clinical effects of the epidural blockade...
- Epidural emphysema associated with primary spontaneous pneumothorax
O K Aribas
Department of Thoracic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Selcuk, Konya, Turkey
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 20:645-6. 2001
..tomography demonstrated pneumomediastinum and subcutaneous emphysema with multiple air bubbles within the spinal canal between the levels Th3 and Th11. Resection of bullae on the upper lobe and partial pleurectomy were performed...
- Preoperative spinal canal investigation in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis curves > or = 70 degrees
L G Lenke
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:1606-10. 1994
..The potential for intraspinal pathology to cause scoliosis is well accepted. The incidence of spinal canal abnormalities in congenital or atypical scoliosis may be as high as 30-60%...
- Unrecognized pneumothorax as a cause of intraspinal air
Department of Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, Free University of Berlin, Rudolf Virchow Medical Center, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:838-40. 1995
..Also, whenever intraspinal air is found in the diagnostic course of a traumatized patient, a hidden pneumothorax should be suspected and ruled out...
- Morphometric study of the lumbar spinal canal in the Korean population
H M Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:1679-84. 1995
STUDY DESIGN. The anatomic dimensions of the vertebral body and spinal canal of the lumbar spine were analyzed in Koreans. OBJECTIVES...
- Compressive myelopathy presenting as cervical cord neurapraxia: a differential diagnosis of TIA
Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Neurology 65:1140-1. 2005
- Ependymal cyst in the lumbar spine associated with cauda equina compression
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 15:827-30. 2008
..The cyst was successfully treated by excision of the cyst during careful intraoperative monitoring to prevent neurological damage to the conus medullaris and cauda equina...
- The phenomenon and efficiency of ligamentotaxis after dorsal stabilization of thoracolumbar burst fractures
L A Mueller
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Erlangen, Rathsberger Str 57, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 126:364-8. 2006
..burst fractures of the thoracolumbar spine and with a fractured posterior vertebral surface dislocated into the spinal canal without neurological symptoms were treated with the AO internal fixator...
- Lumbar disk herniation with contralateral symptoms
Hasan Kamil Sucu
Department of Neurosurgery, Izmir Ataturk Research and Training Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Eur Spine J 15:570-4. 2006
..When operation is considered, intervention only from the herniation side is sufficient. It is probable that traction rather than direct compression is responsible from the emergence of contralateral symptoms...
- Pencil is mightier than the sword!
Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Pediatr Neurosurg 42:168-70. 2006
..A pencil causing penetrating injury involving the spinal cord is very rare. We present the case of a young boy who accidentally suffered a penetrating injury involving the spinal cord from a pencil in his coat pocket...
- Spinal metastasis from cranial meningeal hemangiopericytomas
J K Lee
Department of Neurosurgery, Chonnam National University Hospital and Medical School, Gwangju, Korea
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 148:787-90. 2006
..Because of the long latency period, aggressive spinal surveillance should be advocated along with repeated bone scintigraphy and MRI...
- Spinal compression due to ossified yellow ligament: a short series of 5 patients and literature review
Department of Neurosurgery, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, 160012 India
Surg Neurol 65:377-84, discussion 384. 2006
..Ossification of ligamentum flavum in the thoracic region causing compressive myelopathy among middle-aged patients is a poorly described entity...